Speaker 1: Hands on with the latest Samsung Galaxy S twenty five lineup plus the surprise phone.
Speaker 2: They announced a major.
Speaker 1: Data breach puts tens of millions of students personal information at risk. And is it really the end of the line for Blu ray discs? Plus your tech questions answered? What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call. If you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Just go to Rich on tech dot tv and hit contact. That's Rich on tech dot tv. Hit con tact guests. This week, we've got Nick Gray, editor in chief at the website Fandroid. He's gonna cover the key features of Samsung's S twenty five series, and later we've got radio host and accessibility consultant Paul Lane. He's gonna explore how tech can empower people with disabilities.
Speaker 2: He is a great guy.
Speaker 1: He's at all the tech events and I'm looking forward to having a chat with him. Well, in my hand, if you can see it, I've got my badges from the big Samsung Galaxy Unpacked event up in San Jose, California. And I've also got the phone in my hand right here, the Galaxy S twenty five Ultra. So let me give you my impressions of this device. So three new models of Samsung's smartphones, the S twenty five, the S twenty five plus, and the S twenty five Ultra. Now the twenty five and the twenty five plus are just I think the Ultra is really always where all the most exciting upgrades are. So this has a bigger screen, yes, can you believe it? A bigger screen six point nine inches, But they managed to put that screen in a form factor that's actually easier to hold and no larger than last year's device. So that means less bezel, that little tiny border around the screen. Prices for these devices, I won't save it to the end. I'll just tell you right now. Cut to the chase. Eight hundred dollars for the S twenty five S twenty five Plus starts at one thousand, the S twenty five Ultra starts at thirteen hundred, and no price increases from last year, So I really like that and don't get scared by those prices. Almost nobody pays full retail price for Samsung device, so there are always some sort of trade in or some sort of discount. I was looking at their discounts the other day and Samsung gives discounts for just about all kinds of folks like students, military, employee discounts, and more, friends and family. So definitely check out that offer page. All right, So what do I think of these devices? First off, they made a very good choice. They have replaced the Bixby on the side button with Gemini, so Google Gemini now comes up when you press the side button like the long press of the power button, which is really great because this is going to be a lot of people's first use of AI, and they've done it in a very smart way, so Bixby is not gone. But what they do is they kind of assess what your question is to the AI assistant and they will hand it off based on what you want to do, and it can even do combination tasks. So for instance, if I say, you know, what's the Lakers score, it will just give me that score. It's going to go to Gemini, it's going to figure that out. If I say restart my phone, it's going to hand it off to Bixby and show me the restart my phone menu on the screen. So where it gets really cool is where you do combination stuff. So you can say, tell me when the Chiefs are playing next, and it to my calendar and it will go pull Gemini for that information then add it to your calendar. So that's kind of a new thing where they've integrated all of the Samsung apps or a lot of them to make that functionality possible. So that's really neat, and some of the Google apps as well, like Google Calendar and things like that. Two other new AI features the now Brief. This is a tiny widget that sits on your home screen or at the bottom of your phone, and it gives you like a personalized update for your day. So it'll give your weather, your calendar events, if it's someone's birthday, it'll tell you that, give you little videos to watch, all kinds of stuff that's AI infused.
Speaker 2: Then you've got the now bar.
Speaker 1: This is on the lock screen, and this is kind of like Apple's Live activities, So if you're catching an uber, or you're watching a sports game, or you're navigating somewhere, it will put that information on the lock screen and a little now bar at the bottom. I think it's actually too small. I think they need to make it bigger. But you know, again, this is day one of all this stuff. So the ultra camera, so the camera are not dramatically improved on these devices. So if you're looking for like completely different camera functionality, you're not really gonna get it. What they did was they improved one of the lenses, the ultra wide angle lens. They did bring that up to fifty megapixels, up from twelve megapixels. So all of your wide angle stuff is going to look a lot better, a lot brighter. Night video has been dramatically improved thanks to AI. So they're running this through some sort of algorithms. The video I took of a DJ at a party they threw was just incredible, Like it just was so it pops because it's so crystal clear and bright. Macro shots are going to give you four times more detail. They've also got this audio eraser feature, which means you can get rid of background noise in your videos. So if you have a nice video of your kid taking its first steps with the dog is barking in the back, you can try to get some of that out of there. Now for content creators, they've got log video support. For most users, this will not matter because you're not color grading your video, but if you are using your phone for professional reasons, this is a really nice addition. Seven years of updates on these devices that is incredible. So if you buy this phone today, it will get seven years of updates, both operating system and security updates. They're also giving you six months of Google Gemini Advanced included two terabytes of storage included.
Speaker 2: I think that's just for the six months, not forever.
Speaker 1: And overall, I am really impressed with this device, all of these devices, but specifically the Ultra, and I'll tell you why they nailed it. They finally got this phone to a place where it is easy to hold. Everything works, the cameras are excellent, and it is just an overall all around excellent package which I have no problems recommending to anyone. Easier to hold, they are noticeably lighter. They all have more gigabytes of RAM, so they all start at twelve gigabytes of RAM. Now the Ultra didlast year and this year it's the same. I would have loved to see sixteen on the Ultra, but you know, we'll take what we can get. And they all have two hundred and fifty six gigabytes of storage for starters, except for that S twenty five base model. So overall, you know, throwing out a lot of numbers at you, but these are just really solid devices. Like Samsung went back to the drawing board. They did their homework. They figured out what people want, what people can use on a daily basis, and these phones are just smart. Oh I didn't even mention. You know, they make a big deal out of this Circle to Search, and if you've used it, it is my absolute I think this is the differentiating factor right now between iPhone and Android. Circle to Search means that anything on your screen is tappable and searchable, and they took it a step further. So if you do Circle to search on your screen, bring that up. Anything that's a link of phone number or an email, you can just tap it to go there. See no how on Instagram. People put links on Instagram in the captions, you can't click them. Long press your home screen. Boom, you can click that in one second. It's little tiny things like that that make this a smart phone. Wi Fi seven also on these devices, which is faster and more reliable, but most routers at home don't have that yet, so this will be good for the future. The batteries are made of fifty percent recycled material from old Samsung Galaxy batteries. Now the downsides. The Spen did lose bluetooth, which means it can no longer be used as a remote control for the camera. If you leave it behind, you're not going to get an alert on your phone. The back material on this phone is a fingerprint magnet, so most people are going to use a case. Not a big deal, but this thing is just a fingerprint magnet. You can train people on an episode of CSI on this phone. That's how bad the fingerprints are. They did not put mag safe support into the phone, so if you're familiar with mag Safe on the iPhone, it's got those magnets around the back so you can attach accessories wirelessly. So they did it kind of weird here, They did build in the latest CH two wireless charging support, but you got to put a case on to get the magnets. Not a big deal. Again, most people are going to have a case. And if you're wondering about getting this phone, switching from another phone, even the iPhone, what are you going to miss out on? Realistically, nothing except Apple's ecosystem and of course the occasional family member or friend who's going to give you trouble for having a green bubble or having, you know, not an iPhone. But you know what, too bad those people. Yeah, FaceTime of course, but you know what, there's so many ways to make a video call. But I get it. Apple has really built this nice, this infrastructure in this ecosystem that people just love and they love to be on. And I understand that airdrop all those kind of things, but I'm telling you this is the year. If you're on the fence about upgrading, this is the year to do it. I really think that they did an amazing job on this phone. I've been taking pictures and videos. You can see them on my website, rich on tech dot TV. They are all looking really, really good. Do I think it's a clipsing? What the iPhone does no, But I think that you're in a place where where the pictures and the videos you take on this device are going to be excellent a large majority of the time. Now, I will tell you my iPhone's been collecting dust for the past four days. Since I got this thing. I've just I've not even given it a second thought because I'm sitting here using it, and I love it. I love all these little features on this phone that make it feel so smart and so futuristic. It's really fun, and they're doing AI in such a smart way. Also, when I get a Samsung phone, especially the new ones, I'm always waiting for some sort of first software update to kind of smooth things over, to make this better. And I'm not even thinking about that right now because everything is just so good out of the gate. So if I feel like I'm really bullish on this, I am. I really like this phone. I think that Samsung did a great job. I think they listen to people. And the icing on the cake when you scroll through your apps, they are now scrolling vertically like every other proper Android phone out there.
Speaker 2: You no longer have to swipe left and right for your apps.
Speaker 1: I love it. Thank you Samsung, all right eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you want to read all of my thoughts on the Samsung, go to the website rich on Tech dot tv. Can also see the pictures and videos I've been taking. Coming up, we're gonna take some of your calls at eight eight eight rich one oh one. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. Let's go to Freddy in Yonkers, New York. Freddie, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Rich for for sure. I have enjoyed you's show. Thank you and add to questions question number one. If you know of a program that rips music from a CD and copy into a full.
Speaker 2: Room okay on a Mac or a PC PC okay? Yes?
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: The the top program for this is a program called Exact Audio Copy. Exactly exact Audio copy, and that will rip your CDs obviously for personal use, and that will it is completely free, so that is the way to go.
Speaker 3: Okay, to question number two. Program there I could record, well record.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 3: Record from from from from the ambuss a program before there I'm watching, I could record the from.
Speaker 1: Okay, record from an Amazon Stick. So that is tricky because everything on the Amazon Stick is on demand, so there is not an easy way to record that. There may be some workarounds or maybe some devices you can get that might record the screen. I can't vouch for those. I don't know of those, but the the short answer is no. Most of the stuff that's on Amazon is on demand. So yes, are there ways that you can hack the system and record?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Am I going to go over that right now?
Speaker 1: No, So if you want to record programming, I would say the only thing I can think of there is one. I don't even know if I can recommend this on the radio because it's it may be operating in the gray area. So if you want to record like regular shows, I would say you have to sign up with something like a YouTube TV or.
Speaker 2: Fubo TV.
Speaker 1: But if you want to get over the air programming, you can get a device like a Tableau, tab t, a b l O and that will record. You connect an antenna to it, you can record over the air stuff and you can watch that on the TV. So thanks for the call, Freddy and Yonkers appreciate it. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Let's see if we can get one more in here. Let's go to Drew in Sherman Oaks. Drew, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 6: Hey, Rich, I have a couple of Apple questions.
Speaker 2: Okay, we can tell them one question, so we I okay, time for one.
Speaker 6: All right, I have an older iPad and it's always saying, you know, my memory is full, and so when I go and look and try and clear out stuff, it's always photos that are the the bulk of it. Okay, if I clean out, if I clean out photos and videos on the iPad, if I delete them, are they being deleted on my Mac and phone and all.
Speaker 2: My other Yes they are. So yeah.
Speaker 1: That is that is a that is a functionality of iCloud and pretty brilliant actually, so Apple makes it really tricky to do that, but they do have a setting that you can that you can change on your iPad. Okay, and it's caud Let's see, it's called optimize iCloud storage. And this is under h hold on, I gotta find it. Let's see iPhone. So under the I in the iPhone, there is a setting that will optimize the storage automatically, so you have to turn it on and you go into iCloud and you'll see it says optimized cloud storage, optimized iPhone storage, optimized iPad storage. And what that's doing is it's actually in the background, going to delete the full resolution photos from your and videos from your iPad, but it's still going to allow you to view those and they will still be stored in the cloud. So the the caveat here is that you have to have enough storage in the cloud for those photos. So if you don't, you're gonna it's not gonna work.
Speaker 6: So you change the setting on the iPad.
Speaker 1: Or so you have to go into the iPad where you yeah, where you want to go, where you want the storage reclaimed. You can do this on your iPad and your iPhone. So I'm going to try to find it right now. If we go into your iCloud account and we I got to find where it is. My gosh, they changed everything here. Usually it's settings, your name, iCloud, and then photos. Okay, so there's photos and there it is where it says manage storage and you can tap that and it will say, oh wow, they changed everything in iOS.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the but the solution is called optimized iPhone Storage. That's what you're searching. You can search for that on your on your device under the settings, but optimize iCloud or iPhone storage or iPad storage. But that's the way to do it, to keep it there. It's very confusing with iCloud because anything you do on your iPhone is reflected in eCloud unless you have that setting on. And even when you have that setting on, if you delete a picture or a video on your iPhone, it's still going to delete out of the iCloud. So you want to let that do its magic. Where again it's just showing your thumbnails on your phone, but the high resolution photo is still stored in the cloud. If you tap that photo or you want to share it, then it will go from the cloud. It will grab that full resolution photo and kind of put it back on your device for sharing all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: Drew eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: Coming up.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you about a website that can help you delete your old accounts. Rick, Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich to Miro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you have a question or a comment, or you want to see something that I mentioned on the show, just go to the website rich on Tech dot tv. You can hit the light bulb icon that will bring you to all of the shows. This is episode one hundred and six, so you can get show notes for that as well. You might want to look this up because I'm gonna tell you about a great website I discovered called delete deesk dot org. Deletedesk dot org. This is a free database with over ten thousand records showing you how to delete your online accounts. It's got step by step account deletion instructions, direct links, and contact information, and it's got all the different categories technologies, shopping, social media or more. Or you can just search for the website that you want to delete. So this is all in an effort to kind of clean up your online identity. Right, it's a new year, maybe you want to kind of get rid of some of the old accounts that you opened up and you no longer use, or maybe you're sick of social media you want to get rid of those. But again, the website deletedesk dot org. And this is really good. My old ones, my old recommendations for this were getting kind of what's that term long in the tooth or something like that. It's not even a term long in the tooth. That's a weird thing to say. All the stuff we say is so weird, right, like all the old sayings. There's a book I had ones. There's a book I had once. It's called like why do we say the things we do? And they're all rooted in something. But anyway, deletedesk dot org is the website to go to.
Speaker 2: Let's go to.
Speaker 1: Bill in Santa Monica. Bill, you're on with Rich. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Hi, I have a question. I was in evacuee due to the Palisades fire. I'm actually based in Santa Monica, but we had very serious smoke problems in my general area and specifically in my apartment building. Cell I was in evacuee for eleven days. Oh wow, what the Red Cross did? Because many of us had either misplaced or damaged cell phones. They brought in a brand that I have never seen. It's not a garden variety brand. It's the TCL thirty XE five gv are unlocked phones. Presently it's on the T Mobile network. But what I'm wondering about right now is this simply a burner or is it a possible keeper. Because we're able to hold on to the phones, we don't have to return them to the Red Cross cell phone service on T Mobile is free through the end of March. So I'm not quite sure if I'm really going to have to go out and get a brand new phone or I should hold on to this.
Speaker 2: What'd you have before?
Speaker 6: Bell?
Speaker 7: I had Samson?
Speaker 2: Okay, and how's this phone working for you?
Speaker 7: It's a little problematic, and I looked up the reviews and the reviews don't really instill confidence in me. But I am really on the fence about this, and I'm still dealing with smoke issues in my Arkansas. I'm not running out to get a brand new phone right now. I'm using this pretty much by default.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, first off, by the way, sorry to hear about what you're going through. I know it's rough and it's a conversation that so many people are having, and I know a lot of people are going through so much with these fires. So I am thinking of the folks that this is happening to, including yourself, and I understand it's not an easy time. My advice on the phone bill is that if it's working for you, keep it. You've got free service through the end of March. Why not take advantage of that. Why have one more thing to stress about during this trying time. This phone is basic. You're correct in that assessment. Is TCL is a large maker of TVs. They make smartphones as well, mostly kind of budget smartphones, the type that you're getting, you know, where it's maybe given out for free or free of the contract or through a government program sometimes. But they also sell these things and I've reviewed some of them and they're fine.
Speaker 2: This phone is.
Speaker 1: It actually has an SD card, which is very rare these days. It's got a decent battery, you know, the chip on it, the media tech chip is just okay, it's going to be fine. It's got a ninety megahertz a ninety hertz refresh rate. It's got a decent screen.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think that this is going to be just fine. I don't I don't know how this compares to your old phone, if you had a nice new Samsung or.
Speaker 7: An older one.
Speaker 1: Okay, So my advice to you is that if the phone is working and it's doing the things you need it to do, then just stick with it as long as humanly possible.
Speaker 2: That's that's my advice. This is not a bad phone.
Speaker 1: It's just not the most high powered phone out there. It's also been around for a couple of years. It looks like it launched about two years ago. So my advice to you on this phone bill is to get do all the software updates that you can on this device, and then go through the apps and get rid of any app that you do not need on this device, because anything that's running that's extra is just going to bog this thing down. So go through all of the apps and uninstall anything that it allows you to uninstall. It may have some bloat wear on there, but I would just get rid of anything you can that you don't need, and then I would restart the phone and that's it. I mean, you've got T Mobile for free for a couple of months. You've got the phone for free. You know, you've suffered a you know, pretty big loss and not having access to your apartment, you said, for a couple of weeks. So again, stop stressing about the phone. Let this thing do it's thing. You focus on getting a life back in order. So that's my advice, Bill, Thanks so much for the call today. In Santa Monica eight eight eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one at the Samsung event again, you know, I was at the CS everyone was talking about the fires Samsung. Every single conversation started with hey, rich how are you doing, How are people in La doing? How is La going to rebuild from these fires? I mean, it really is just top of my mind for so many people right now. And it's just so many people in the world are thinking about this because it's a situation that, yes, we've seen devastation in places across America right now. I know people in North Carolina are still dealing with it Florida, and it just goes on on New Orleans before that. I mean, remember watching the devastation from Katrina. I mean, this stuff takes years and years to recover from. So yeah, it's just a lot of people thinking about it. On another note, I will tell you, I don't know if you saw this movie advertised, but this is kind of a side note for a personal but you got to watch the movie called Wild Robot. I don't know if you saw it advertised on the billboards. Maybe your kids read the book in school, but we sat down. It just became available on Peacock Streaming included if you have Peacock, which, by the way, Peacock is like the Sleeper streaming service.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: The blockbusters on that service are so good because guess who owns Peacock Universal. So a lot of the Universal movies go to Peacock, and it's like this service that you never hear about, but yet they get some really good movies on there and they're all included. Typically, most people with Peacock probably have the ads supported, which I do, and it's fine. You watch I don't even think we watched any ads with this one, but a lot of them. You might watch like a minute thirty of ads at the beginning, and then there might be one ad through it or something.
Speaker 2: But it's fine.
Speaker 1: And I know I've got so used to Netflix having no ads, but I kind of like the ads in the movies because it gives me a break. I can get up, I can go grab something from the kitchen, you can use the bathroom. It's like the old days. I'm watching TV. You get these natural breaks. So they're not all that bad with these streaming services. And right now they don't have too many ads in them, but in the future, of course they'll have more. But wild robot. My kid read this book. I saw the cover did not appeal to me. I saw all the ads around town. Did not appeal to me in any way, shape or form. We started watching this movie and I'm not kidding. About halfway through, there's not a dry eye in the room in this movie. How they made a tear jerker of a movie with a robot, I don't know, but somehow they did. This movie is phenomenal. I don't know if it's nominated for any awards or anything like that. It should be because it's you know, I'll be honest. When it's movie night with the kids, most of the time, the adults are kind of left like, eugh, do we really have to watch this movie? Because it's rare that a movie appeals to both kids and adults in the same way. Now this movie and I get it, like stuff like you know, the superhero movies and all that stuff. There's a lot going on, Like they don't stop from the second you turn it on till the second you turn it off. There's just so much going on that, yeah, gets your attention. There's all these things. This did not use any of those tricks. This was like actually a great story. And so I'm telling you fired up tonight tomorrow night with your kids, without the kids, adults, kids, whatever. This is a fantastic movie. Wild Robot. Speaking of Netflix price hike on Netflix, once again, we need like a stinger for any every time Netflix raises prices because prices are going up. AD free plan is now well, let me start at the beginning, the standard plan without okay, let's start with the AD plan. The AD supported plan goes to seven ninety nine a month, up from six to ninety nine. The standard plan without ADS is now seventeen ninety nine a month, up from fifteen to forty nine. So that's going up two dollars and fifty cents. And then the Premium plan now goes up two dollars a month, so it's at twenty five dollars.
Speaker 2: So you're talking.
Speaker 1: Netflix is now eight dollars minimum or eighteen dollars or twenty five dollars. And by the way, if you have an extra member on your plan, it's now up to nine.
Speaker 2: Dollars a month, up from eight dollars.
Speaker 8: I'm done.
Speaker 2: Netflix says, you got invest in programming, You're done, Bobo done.
Speaker 8: Twenty five dollars a month is too much. It's crazy, and you're only getting HD movies like, I'm good.
Speaker 2: No, well, twenty five dollars you do get four K. Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: AHD four K, same difference.
Speaker 2: But I'm just it didn't look like I mean, it's not. Yeah, I'm telling you twenty.
Speaker 8: Five dollars a month. Yeah, that's another cable bill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's is. So I was thinking about this.
Speaker 1: Back in the day, HBO was probably about a twenty dollars add on for your cable bill. This is twenty five and so I get it. It's not unheard of, but there's I think at this point the the Netflix subscribers are kind of gonna think twice about reding start immediately in your next billing cycle. So, and by the way, you know, they just added the most new subscribers every million, nineteen million new subscribers last quarter. I mean this, this is a company that's making money handover fist and they couldn't even get that fight right. They did get the football game stream properly. I'll give them that, but anyway, I mean, Netflix also doesn't have the best stuff.
Speaker 2: I just ranted and raved about Peacock.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you the last time I watched a movie on Netflix where I'm like, you gotta see it. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. The website rich on tech dot tv. I know I mentioned a couple of links like that delete desk website to help you delete your old accounts online. Uh, the link is up rich on Tech dot tv. Hit the light bulb icon to see episode one oh six. You can also write me there just hit contact. Rick did just that, He says, your vast knowledge continues to impress. This is the year to upgrade my Samsung's cell phone. I'm using an S twenty one. In the past I've always bought my phone directly from AT and T, either in full or over time. If I want the new Ultra that works on all carriers and can pay cash, what's the best way to buy it and sell my old phone?
Speaker 2: Rick great idea.
Speaker 1: I think the best way to purchase this is through Samsung themselves. I would go to Samsung's website, so Samsung dot com. They right now before the phones are available, which, by the way, I forgot to tell you, February seventh is when they're available. They have the best deals, and I'm telling you usually the deal that they have between now and February seventh they never have again. So they will give you top dollar for your old phone, they will take it back, and they will give you the new phone, which is unlocked.
Speaker 2: You can buy it unlocked. You can get all the different colors.
Speaker 1: They've got all the premium you know, online exclusive colors from the website, And I would go through that way for you. The AT and T thing is fine, and I usually I guess my advice to anyone would be to check your carrier deal against what Samsung offers directly. Your carrier is always going to be a lot easier because you can bring your old phone in. I think they take those trade ins right there at the store sometimes or you just have to send it in. And also you're going to just walk out with your new phone, and so the transaction is very simple. With the Samsung website, the transaction is going to be just a little bit different because you do have to activate your phone after you get it. You got to send back your old phone in the mail. So it's just a little bit more complicated. But I think it's worth it for the savings if you compare it against what your carrier is going to do. Rick, good question, Thanks for the call. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four.
Speaker 2: One zero one.
Speaker 1: Big data breach, Big data breach. Sixty four million students, nine point five million teachers across sixty five hundred school districts in the US, Canada and beyond. This is a company, a tech company called power School that has very very popular and this is an example of they collect a lot of information about the students social security numbers, medical data, grades, and other personal details. And guess what hackers got in and got this information. Sixty four sixty two million students, nine point five million teachers. Yes, this is really bad. Now the company says that only twenty five percent of the students have their social Security numbers compromise. Oh, that makes me feel better. So now we're talking. Because of the world we live in. You've got kids under eighteen. They're starting their lives with their Social Security number already out there on the dark web, already under eighteen. This is something that in my lifetime took a couple of years in my adult age for my social to be hacked, and yours is probably hacked as well. We've seen many instances where socials were hacked and they're out there. So they're given affected individuals two years of identity protection. You know what the amount of identity protection letters I have at my house from all these different companies that I've been hacked from, I just put them in a pileo. It's like I have so many of them and it's like, what is it really going to do? So they're given that out Power Schools coordinating the notifications to families. The timing is unclearer, But how did the hackers get in? Stolen credentials? So hackers were able to access Power schools. Power Source customer support portal, and then through here they exploited a customer support maintenance tool to download the sensitive data from all of the district's databases. So again, these schools use this power school to manage their students and grades and sending information to parents. And all that information was in databases both at the schools and I guess in a central database as well, And so that's how they got access to this through a hack. And I guess the hack has been fixed. I guess the whole has been fixed, but it's it's too late. I mean, all this information's out there.
Speaker 2: What a bummer. All right, let's go to Sue in Duarte. Sue, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: Hi, Rich, I have a question. I was hacked by email from Yahoo on my iPhone and was packed and I did all of the things that was recommended to do, like change the.
Speaker 10: Passwords and that, and I have not.
Speaker 9: Been able to receive emails since that time.
Speaker 10: Even if I did it.
Speaker 9: I'm not really techy. I got my son to help me out.
Speaker 10: And he says, I can't figure that.
Speaker 9: If out, mom, it should be working, but it doesn't. So my question is is there a place that I can go where someone can actually help me correct this, like maybe the Apple store.
Speaker 1: Or Apple Store won't help you unless it's an Apple problem. Have you deleted the account off of your phone is an iPhone?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Have you? Okay? Two things.
Speaker 1: Have you tried using the Yahoo mail app to access your email or gone online?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 2: You can't and you can't log in?
Speaker 10: Can log in?
Speaker 2: Do you have?
Speaker 1: Do you have access to your account at all? Have you been like you are you back on this account in any way, shape or form?
Speaker 9: If I went, yes, I can access and see like I went and I deleted a lot of the emails from here before, and I have only whatever is left. I have access to that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you do have access, okay, but it sounds like it's not sinking new emails.
Speaker 2: So what I would do is number one.
Speaker 1: I would go to the Yahoo website help dot Yahoo dot com, type in hacked, and I would make sure that you can access your email. So as long as you can log in, so go to just first off, go to your Yahoo email on the web, use your user name and your password. See if you can log in. That's the first thing. If you can't log in, is this it? We got to go to break Okay, try that first and then delete the email off your iPhone, log it back in see if that helps. But use the Yahoo customer service to try to see if you can get back into this account. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. Just wanted to tell you some more about the Samsung event. So Samsung a couple other things they announced at their event, the unpacked here. Uh we was in San Jose, California, and you know it was it was a good event. I mean there was actually a surprise at this event, which we typically don't see it tech events anymore. But they did tease a new phone. It's called the S twenty five Edge, so the Galaxy S twenty five Edge coming later this year. And this is just a super thin phone. They did not give us any details whatsoever. And you had to fight to see this thing. There are so many people around it the mack. I don't know if it was a real production model or mock up whatever it was, but from what we can tell, two cameras on the back instead of three, sort of a finish, very premium, looking very thin, Thinner than the S twenty three and definitely thinner than the S twenty What was it they had the S twenty four and the S twenty three, I think next to it. Anyway, there's a lot thinner than those phones. And so this is not going to have Samsung's best camera, best processor.
Speaker 2: Well maybe it'll have the best process or we're not sure.
Speaker 5: On that one.
Speaker 1: I mean, we have nothing, We have no details on this. But the point is if you want a really thin phone from Samsung, that's all you care about, then you will have the ability to get one of these later this year Samsung Galaxy S twenty five Edge. The other thing they showed off is the first time we saw their Project Muhan in real life. So this is their answer to Apple Vision Pro. This is their headset. So this is something that they've been teasing for a couple of years now. They're calling it an x R headset. XR means mixed reality. That means this will be both virtual reality and augmented reality, presumably, So what does that mean? Virtual reality is when you put this helmet on and you don't see anything else around you except what is on the screens in front of your eyes. Augmented reality means you can still see the world around you, but you can also see stuff that's augmented on top.
Speaker 2: Placed on top.
Speaker 1: Now, the Vision Pro kind of does augmented reality, but it's interesting because it's still actually fully enclosed on your face. I think that this one looks like it is too. But again, no real details, no hands on demo. No you know, they didn't let anyone touch this thing. It was just kind of set up there. So this is slated to launch in twenty twenty five. No pricing, no nothing. We don't know anything about this except that that Samsung is making an XR headset and then some real news that actually is a thing. Samsung Galaxy Watch seven has added a kid friendly mode, so the Galaxy Watch seven can now function as a standalone smart watch for kids. With this new Galaxy Watch for Kids mode, kids can call and text their trusted contacts. They can parents can access GPS location tracking, emergency SOS let's kids send alerts by pressing the side button five times. Obviously, for all these features, you will need a cellular connection on these watches, but kids can download twenty teacher approved apps and watch faces, but p rental approval is required for third party app downloads. This will work on Verizon T Mobile and AT and T. Now, the Watch seven is, you know, their premium watch. The fe is their kind of basic budget watch that starts at two hundred and fifty dollars. That would be a really good use case of this Samsung Galaxy Watch for kids mode, but so far we have no word that is coming to that watch. But that would be a winner because then parents don't have to spend so much money on a Galaxy Watch seven, they can get the inexpensive Watch fe. Let's go to Oscars here in Winchester, California, Oscar.
Speaker 8: You're on with rich Ry Rich.
Speaker 10: So, yeah, I've got a problem. First of all, I've got a Windows ten desktop system, and I'm gonna give you the only time I see with this problem is when the game that they play on Kfi A thousand you win a thousand dollars every hour they announced a keyword and you put the keyword into the pop up window on the screen, on the Kfi screen, and you know, it goes, It's accepted, and that's it. The only reason I told you that is because you may be familiar with the game. But the problem that I'm having is that the Windows.
Speaker 5: Stops popping up.
Speaker 10: And it started probably about a week ago. It stopped popping up, and I figured it may it must be the caching or something.
Speaker 2: What browser are you using?
Speaker 10: That was on a Chrome browser?
Speaker 2: Okay, And so I.
Speaker 10: I also have an Edge browser on my system that I don't normally use. So I tried it on the on the Edge browser and that's when didn't the window It didn't pop up either. Okay, So I downloaded a Firefox browser.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, you're collecting browsers at this point, Oscar.
Speaker 10: Right, so it's had a brand new browser.
Speaker 1: On the Oscar for most browsers goes to Oscar.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Keep so it's it's not me. It's not working on any of these No, and I cleared the cash. Okay, here's what's happening. I'm looking at this page right now, and what they've done is they've embedded some sort of third party applet on this page. And so if you are running a pop up blocker, that is going to uh, that's not going to load. If you're running any sort of ad blocker, are you running an ad blocker on your network, or I'm okay, so here's what I think you should do to get this to load. There's a couple of things you can do on Chrome next to a website, and this if any website is giving you trouble, if they're in general, if any website is giving you an issue in the future. Number one, you have to check for your AD blocker. If you're using a web browser like Brave, or you have an AD blocker installed like u block Origin or Ghostry, you gotta disable that and then try the website. Because what happens is a lot of these websites if you're using an AD blocker, they don't they don't properly work, especially if you're trying to use like things that are loading in the background or you know, like this, it says please disable ad or pop up blocker to load this. So that's the first two things you need to do. The third thing you can do is to the left of any URL on Chrome. Websites leave little bits of data on your computer, and sometimes if something's going wrong on that website, it'll continue to go wrong on so you clear out that data. Now, Oscar, you were correct in saying that you got rid of your cash, that can help, but sometimes that means you got to delete all your history on your computer, and a lot of people don't want to do that because you lose your logins and things. So if you just want to do this for one website, and you probably never noticed this before, if you look to the left of any URL on Chrome, there's like two little bars. It looks like almost like a site I don't know, like a settings bar. So you tap that button and that will give you all the information about the website, says KFI. Connection is secure, third party sign in, cookies and site data, site settings. So what I would do is tap the cookies and site data and you can tap manage on device site data. And so what you do is you delete all that stuff in there. All the stuff that's in there will delete all of the information that is stored on your computer. So this then you will reload the website and that website should load properly after you do that. So that's the way to kind of fix anything that's happening on individual websites if they're just being wonky. Now, the second thing to do is if you have a lot of extensions installed in your computer, it could be interfering with the functionality of that website in general, just any extension that you have. So I've got one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, at least ten extensions that are interacting with every website that I bring up, and sometimes they just don't agree. So the other way to do it is to open up what's called a private browsing window or an incognito window. And typically when you open up an incognito window, unless you've specifically said I want my extensions to run on this incognito window, it's almost like a fresh web browser without anything signed in, without any of your extensions running, without any of your ad blockers running.
Speaker 2: And what this.
Speaker 1: Does is it gives you the ability to see this website from a fresh set of eyes. It has no logins, it's got no cookies saved, it's got nothing saved in the background. And so in that way, you can actually go in and paste this website now, the one you just mentioned, Oscar, I'm putting in here, and voila, it opens up perfectly because there's nothing, it's almost like a pure web browser. So I'm not sure why it wasn't running on the other web browsers that you downloaded. It seems odd. Maybe those web browsers were importing other settings from your other web browsers and some of the extensions, but that could be it. But I would go through those things that I just mentioned to see if you can get this to load. And finally, the other thing is that on some networks levels like on some networks like mine at home, I'm running an AD blocker across my entire network. So for instance, if a Google AD pops up on my phone and I try to click it, I'm not gonna be able to click it. It's not gonna go to the website, it says error. Now that may be frustrating for people that are trying to click websites and links and ads and stuff like that, but I know that that's a network wide restriction. And so if I ever need to tap on an AD on a web result or any in general, I will turn off my Wi Fi and I'll use Cellular and then I can access those ads. So you may have a network like EUO allows you to turn off ads system wide on your network if you're paying for their euro Secure or whatever they call it nowadays. But again that's something to check too, like someone you know might have installed a network wide ad blocker or a desktop wide ad blocker. That's usually the culprit in things like this. So Oscar, thanks for the question. Great question. Allowed me to explain just a little bit of that. All right, before are we going to break? Okay, let's just go to break eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up this hour, we're going to talk to Nick Gray, editor in chief at Fandroid. He's gonna discuss all all the Samsung S twenty five stuff with me.
Speaker 2: He was also at the event.
Speaker 1: Plus micro another price increase Microsoft three sixty five. But I'll tell you how you can get around it. There is something you can do. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech, rich DeMuro hanging out with you talking technology at Triple A rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you are not following me on social media, I suggest you check it out at rich on Tech on Instagram, also on x I'm also on Facebook, but Instagram is where I do a majority of my posts. This week, I've got posts if you want to see all the Samsung stuff.
Speaker 2: I was talking about hands on with the phones. Uh ohs.
Speaker 1: I mentioned they have a Crocs case, Bobo, you'll like this. They have a CrOx official CROs case for the Samsung S twenty five series. No, come on, you said you you change your tune on crocs that I have a pair that I only walk around the house in or slides. Well, I so, so, just to give you a little behind the scenes, I didn't wear my crocs here for many weeks because Bobo a couple of months.
Speaker 2: Might have been the first whole year. Bobo's what we call a sneakerhead. Is that what it's called?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he really every week he matches his sneakers to some sort of aspect of his outfit. Today, let's see the sneakers. Is it lakers because they're playing the Warriors tonight?
Speaker 2: Yep? See there you go. I knew it. Where's our bell? We need a bell on this show.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so he is clearly very fashionable and you know, takes his sneakers very seriously. I, on the other hand, go for comfort and typically to this show, I am wearing crocs because it is simple, it's easy and by the way.
Speaker 8: You know, I have a confession. Yeah, So DSW is.
Speaker 11: Closing across the street, that going out of business, okay, And they had a pair of crocs in there and I did tribal and they were slides, but they were too big, so I left them.
Speaker 8: They're only gonna be like twenty bucks. Yeah, like why not?
Speaker 2: Crocs are more expensive than you would think.
Speaker 1: So anyway, they have official crocs for the the samsungs uh.
Speaker 2: And you know, you can just see all the stuff.
Speaker 1: I post, but you know, I've been doing a lot more of like all like since all these people send me the scams that they're getting texts and emailed all day, I put these posts of all the scams to know about because it's just it's amazing to me how many.
Speaker 2: There are out there. I mean, just amazing what we're up against.
Speaker 1: And so I'll post those and just kind of keep you on the cutting edge when it comes to all the latest scams that people are trying to, you know, separate you from your identity or your hard earned money or you know, your loved ones, because you may be you may be tech savvy, but there are people in your family that I'm sure are not and they need to help. Eighty eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one website for the show Rich on tech dot TV. There you can also sign up for my newsletter, which you know my goal, if you haven't realized, is just to help you with good information. Let's go to David in Tulsa, Oklahoma. David, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Hi. Rich. I am a seventy six year old to say, will be a non veteran.
Speaker 10: I have.
Speaker 4: I never have had a smartphone, and I was wondering, would you what would you recommend me for?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: What are you trying to do?
Speaker 4: I want to get started on I want to get a smartphone. I don't know, I never I've never had one.
Speaker 1: I use a land man Okay, so use a land lighter and get rid of the landline and go with the smartphone.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, okay.
Speaker 2: Do you have a preference of iPhone or Android?
Speaker 4: I don't know anything about them, Ridge, Okay.
Speaker 1: Do you have any friends or family that use a smartphone? And do they use iPhone or Android?
Speaker 4: I have a friend a named Mike. He he uses the iPhone and he says that he wouldn't use anything ill because it's the best.
Speaker 1: Sounds like an iPhone user. Again, where's our bell? So yeah, so here's the deal iPhone. I think, what David for you? I think the iPhone is a great choice because of the support you can get. So there are Apple stores everywhere, and I'm gonna see if there's an Apple store in Tulsa.
Speaker 2: Let's see, is there?
Speaker 4: I think? So he said he's got to go to the Southland or Woodland.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Woodland Hills.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so weird because I looked that up and that came up and I said, well, no, that's here in LA. I thought, because we have a Woodland Hills here in Los Angeles. So I thought, okay, there you go. So you have a Woodland Hills in Tulsa. So the thing, the beauty of the iPhone is that if you need help with this thing, you can go to the store. And I think that is a differentiator that that iPhone has that Android just doesn't. And you also have the friend that has it, so they can recommend things that they like. Plus it's a pretty universal device, so if you need help, or you need repairs or anything, is very easy to get. So when it comes to the model of the iPhone. That is what is kind of like, you know, what you need versus what they want to sell you. So the basic current iPhone is the iPhone sixteen and that's going to run about eight hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Is that how much you want to spend or do you want to spend less than that?
Speaker 4: No, it's the thing. Rich money is no problem. I'll save plenty of money. And what I wanted to do, I just wanted to get the best with all the bails and whistle.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, if that's the case, And David, I love I love to hear that because so many people when they're in retirement, you know, they don't have any money. And so the fact that you're ahead in that aspect, I really think that that's a great thing that you, you know, you sacrifice to have that money at your age now. So really congrats on that. I love hearing that so refreshing. I never hear that. But anyway, so go to the iPhone. I'd go iPhone. If you want the best of the best, iPhone sixteen pro. If you want just the standard iPhone, I'd go iPhone sixteen. Go to the Apple store. They will walk you through all the different plans you can get. You can sign up right in the store. I think you're gonna love it. You're gonna have a great new phone. Coming up, we're gonna talk Samsung with Nick Gray, editor in chief at Fandroid. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. If you want links to anything I mentioned there, just go to the website and you can see them. So let me give you my TikTok update of the week because last week when I did the show, I said that TikTok would probably not be banned, and this week I'm here to tell you that it was banned for about, I don't know, twelve hours. So after I left the show last week, TikTok went away for just the evening and it basically I got a message on my phone that was like, sorry, TikTok's no longer available, and then a couple hours later it was like, oh wait, we're back, just kidding, and it had this message that said, thanks to you, our new President it is back, which I think rubbed a lot of people the wrong way too. But anyway, the thing about TikTok to know right now is that if you have the app on your phone, you can still use it.
Speaker 2: Same goes for cap Cut.
Speaker 1: If you don't have the app on your phone, cap Cut or TikTok, you cannot download them right now.
Speaker 2: So even though the.
Speaker 1: President has assured that he's going to work out a deal and try to get this up and running, the companies that provide the servers and the storage and the transmission of these apps are saying, not so fast. We don't want to be sued later on. And so that's why they are not allowing you to re download these right now. Because even though one persons saying one thing, we still have a whole Congress and a whole you know, government that may say something else.
Speaker 2: So this is TBD.
Speaker 1: But if you really need your TikTok fixed and you can't get it, two things are happening. First off, people are selling phones preloaded with TikTok on eBay for like thousands of dollars. I don't think any of them are actually selling, but people are doing it. And by the way, You can always access TikTok on the website TikTok dot com if you need to.
Speaker 2: All right, that's my TikTok update.
Speaker 1: Let's bring on Nick Gray, editor in chief at Fanroid. Nick Gray is uh, he's a big Android guy. He's he was at the event with Samsung. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Uh did you did you do you care about the TikTok stuff?
Speaker 2: Do you use TikTok? I do use TikTok.
Speaker 11: We we do a lot of short form content and we honestly it's the same across you know, YouTube shorts, Instagram reels, and TikTok. So when it went down, we kind of had that moment of oh my gosh, we're gonna lose a big portion of our audience. But then, you know, as you said, twelve hours later it was back up and running. And you know, as soon as it did, I had another video to upload and just trying to get work done.
Speaker 2: Yep, I hear you.
Speaker 1: I mean you got to look, I mean you got to be across all three or what is it?
Speaker 2: Reels, TikTok and what's the other one?
Speaker 8: YouTube short?
Speaker 7: Ye?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: All right, So Nick tell me about fandroid. First off, what do you cover there? What's fandroid all about?
Speaker 11: And android is all about Android.
Speaker 2: It's right there in the name.
Speaker 11: If you're a fan of Android, we definitely have a spot for you there. It was actually the first Android related news blog to pop up. The original owner put the website up within twenty four hours of Google announcing the operating system, way back in the day, about a year and a half before the first Android phone, And our claim the fame back then was within twenty four hours. Wired I wrote an article about fandroid saying Google announces Android, f android is bill are and they now have fans to go along with it. So way back in the day. That's so over fifteen years ago at this point though.
Speaker 2: And so what do you like about Android? Because you know, there's this debate.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if you've heard, but there's a debate of iOS versus Android.
Speaker 2: I really I've never heard of it. No, Okay, well now I'm telling you for the first time.
Speaker 1: So what do you What do you like about Android versus iPhone?
Speaker 11: Personally, I love the customization options that you've always had on the Android platform. iOS has gotten those with the iPhone over the years. I know that one of the latest ones widgets and custom icons, but those were something that we've had on Android for over a decade now. You've always been able to, you know, dig deep into the iPhone and like root it in order to get some of those features, something that you really can't do now these days, just because you lose a lot of the security features. But if you did want those customizations back in the day, you had to be on Android. And that kind to suck me in over the years. And also there's just a whole lot of diversity with the hardware. With iPhone, you're kind of stuck with, you know, one or two phones per year. Within the Android space, I'm typically looking at fifty to sixty phones a year, and those are just devices that I get, and there's a whole lot more than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that the it's always been like the way I see Android is you can make your phone do whatever you want it to do.
Speaker 2: Whereas iPhone.
Speaker 1: Yes, now you can customize the color and the looks and the widgets and all that stuff, but like there are certain things that just like hands off, like you cannot change how things work on the iPhone, you know, if Apple's locked that down and so exactly, that's kind of the main thing I see. All right, So what's your overall impressions of Samsung's event? We were up there in San Jose. What do you think? What was your takeaway?
Speaker 11: My takeaway is there's not a whole lot new. When it comes to the hardware of this phone, it looks pretty similar to last year's device. As far as cameras go, they're pretty similar. We do have a new and prove moved ultra wide camera. But as you noticed, they didn't talk about the phone for the first thirty minutes of their keynote. They got up there and talked about software improvements, all the AI stuff, their new collaborations with Google, and what Gemini is doing on this phone, and then thirty minutes later they're like, oh, yeah, and you know there's a phone to go along with all of these new AI features.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was the main thing, is that a lot of it was the software. But I think in that aspect they did nail a lot of the software, Like this whole Gemini I you know, Bixby kind of handoff stuff I think is really useful.
Speaker 11: I do see that there's some really good things here. One of the things that they forgot to mention is that if you have pretty much any other Android phone, these features are available there as well. Google actually took like a twelve hours to announce Oh yeah, it's available on the Pixel and if you have the new one plus device, it's available there too. You can add you know something to your calendar with a big spy search and it just puts it onto your calendar or not a big spy a Gemini search sorry, and it's working there as well. So I think Samsung kind of overplayed how much they are doing as opposed to you know, what Google is doing overall for the Android platform.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's an interesting line that we've seen Samsung ride for a long time, is that how many of these things that they do are either duplicated, replicated, or have been done by Android at Large or vice versas. Sometimes things come out on Samsung first and then they make their way to Android at Large.
Speaker 2: Other times it's the opposite way.
Speaker 1: So I do think that you know, a lot of these things that they announced, like the circle to search and all those cool features, yeah, you can get them on a lot of phones. But I think that this hardware is what a lot of people end up purchasing, and so the fact that the hardware and the software is good makes me like this phone a lot.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and I think Google kind of dovetails on the success of Samsung, you know, the like as you mentioned, Circle to Search was the big one last year when they introduced the S series, and it was actually an exclusive on the Samsung phone for about a month and then it came through the Pixel phones and then slowly rolled out to other devices. But it was always a Google feature, right, But Google's trying to piggyback on They know so many people are going to be buying the Samsung smartphones, the Galaxy S twenty five Ultra definitely at the high end, but even the cheaper ones, you know, the Galaxy S twenty five or the Test twenty five plus. So if you want the latest software from Google with the newest hardware from Samsung, this is definitely the place to step into it.
Speaker 2: What are you thinking about the camera? Are you thinking the camera? The videos? The photos? Are they looking any better any different?
Speaker 11: I do think there are some differences here between last year's device. On the Ultra, this is the only one I've actually been able to test. I think you have the Ultra there for review, as do I, and it's I think it's mainly the software because the main camera, the two hundred megapixel main sensor, and the fifty megapixel zoom camera on the back of the phone are the same as before. But we do have a brand new fifty megapixel Ultra Wide, and I think that's a huge step up, just because there was so much the resolution was so low last time that you lost a lot of the detail. But now we do have the higher resolution sensor. And that also ties into macro shots as well. If you're into you know, getting up really close to a flower or something and taking a photo of that and just seeing those details, you will see some differences there. Overall image processing though for me, seems to be a little bit dark in compared to last year. I think they just bumped down the exposure a little bit, but that's something that we might see a change with a future software update. So that's one of the things with a lot of a lot of smartphones these days, you get one month in and you get an update that dramatic changes how the overall experiences or the photos that you're taking actually.
Speaker 1: Look, it's interesting because I mentioned that earlier in the show, is that you know, typically when I get a Samsung device, I'm waiting for like the first update, the first big update, and this one, I mean, I've been using this NonStop since I got it, and I really am not missing anything. I think that like it's very polished right out of the gate.
Speaker 11: It is, and like we as you mentioned there are that first update does usually bring something to it, but this actually feels like, oh, it's ready to go, even though right now the phone's only on pre order, so we have a couple of weeks until the device actually shows up in stores, and that's usually when we might see something drop for a quick update. But there might be some just bug fixes here and there. But as far as the camera goes, I doubt they're going to launch any camera improvements that early on.
Speaker 1: All I've got less than a minute, Nick, what's your buying advice? What's your you know? Where do you get the best deal? How do you get the best deal.
Speaker 11: If you're looking for the best deals, honestly going through your carrier store. Most people buy their phones through carriers these days, T Mobile, Verizon, AT and T They all have some pretty good deals that you could almost get the phone completely for free if you trade in your old one. So head over to your local store and see what they got, or just hit up their website or else. Samsung dot COM's got some decent deals about three hundred dollars credit for upgrading your storage. But also they have a nine hundred dollars trade in bonus if you have a newer device that you're willing to trade in.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, nine hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: So that's pretty good, all right, Nick Gray, Editor in chief at Fandroid. That's p h A N D R O I dfandroid dot com. Thanks so much for joining me today. Welcome back to rich on tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple A Rich one O one that's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. New feature on inste lets you reset your content suggestions. So if you want a fresh star, it's a new year, maybe you just don't like all the stuff that you're seeing across your explore page, your reels, your feeds. You can now reset these recommendations. I tried this.
Speaker 2: I've been waiting. They announced this back in November.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting for it to actually hit the app, and it finally did a couple of days ago. So you can reset. And if you want to try this, open up your Instagram app, tap your profile and then tap menu that's like the three little lines, and then scroll down to where it says suggested content. So in the setting screen, basically you're looking for suggested content and then there's an option that says reset suggested content. Now I don't know about you, but I've tapped a few things in my life on Instagram that bring up a whole bunch of videos that I no longer am interested in, and so I've been waiting for this feature to kind of like refresh my account, restart my account, and so I tried it, and it doesn't happen instantly. I will tell you that, like, if you go to it and you just try it, you're not going to see the recommendations change instantly.
Speaker 2: But they did after a day or two. They're now all reset.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because it starts to kind of pick up on stuff that you're now tapping, and so my entire Explore feed is now filled with everything Samsung and iPhone because you know, I've been doing a lot of phone stuff in the past couple of days. But again you don't see it. Well, you got to go to your profile. Go to profile the three little lines in the upper right hand corner and scroll down to suggested content. Okay, it's under what you see suggested content, and then it says reset suggested content. Now, not everyone is going to have that option of reset right away, but enough people do. And I can confirm this because I did post this to my Instagram at Richon Tech and enough people said, yep, I see it.
Speaker 2: I did it.
Speaker 1: Some people are worried about actually resetting because they rich I took ten years to build my recommendations on Instagram. I don't want to get rid of them all. Well, that's fine, you don't have to. You can leave them. This does not get rid of anyone you're following or anyone that that is following you. It does not change any of that. Although when you're going through this process, this cleansing process, Instagram does give you the option of on following people that you don't look at their stuff very often, or people that you don't like anymore, or whatever. It's like, do you still like this person in your family?
Speaker 2: Instagram. How'd you know?
Speaker 1: Well, we notice you skip over all their stuff every time. You don't even like their stuff anymore. You sure you still like them?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: If people saw you like or didn't like, this could cause some family issues, right.
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, they got rid of all that on all the platforms.
Speaker 8: Cause I don't think I have the update yet because it's not their o mine yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, still rolling out rolling out are the worst two words in the tech language that means not everyone gets it. At the same time, Jim writes in from Portland, Oregon, saying, Hey, Rich, I hope you're doing well. I'm reaching out because I'm having some trouble with an old Dropbox account. I used to have a Dropbox account linked to an email address that's no longer in service. I then change it to another email that one's no longer in service. I moved to Gmail, but I lost all the information now due to a computer crash. Okay, man, Jim, you're having a lot of tech issues here. Despite this all, I'm still being charged for the Dropbox subscription. When I try to contact Dropbox support, I only encounter chatbots. I've also checked my PayPal receipts to see if there's any contact information. What steps can I take to cancel this subscription? Thanks so much, Jim, All right, Jim, Yes you can cancel this. So there's a couple. This is where it gets a little complicated because subscriptions could be done in a variety of ways. It can be done through Apple, iTunes, it could be done through Google Play, it could be done through PayPal, and it can be done through the website itself. So it sounds like you have PayPal linked to this, which I would go into PayPal and there is a page on PayPal that says recurring subscriptions, and you can go in and de authorize this Dropbox subscription. So if that's what's happening, that's where you want to go and get rid of it. If it's happening through Apple, you got to go to iTunes, check your subscriptions on iTunes and stop the recurring charges there. If it's happening through Google Play, go to Google Play, go to your subscriptions and stop it through there. Now, if it's none of those things, you can actually go to the Dropbox website itself. Help dot dropbox dot com. They have a help page that says, what if I can't cancel online. If you cannot cancel online, you can cancel your subscription by physical mail. Cancel your subscription. Download this template, fill it out, and send it to the address below. This includes your first and last name, the email address if you can remember it, the payment method PayPal, credit card, transaction ID, and then you send it to them in San francisc. Lets go and they will get back to you, presumably and cancel this. So that's the last ditch effort, Jim. If you cannot get in touch with this company or cancel this online in any way, that's what you do, and I'll link that up on the website. Rich on tech dot tv seems kind of funny to send a physical letter to dropbox, but yeah, you can still do that.
Speaker 2: That's what you have to do. It sounds like.
Speaker 1: The other thing I would do is I would dispute these charges. If you have not used the app in a long time, I would dispute the charges through your credit card and you can go on Usually it's automated now, it's gotten so easy. You just go on the website, click the charge, dispute it, and you can do that.
Speaker 2: By the way, with Apple.
Speaker 1: I think there's is report a problem, report a problem Apple. So if you go to report a problem dot Apple dot com, this is a great website. If you ever buy something on Apple, you don't like it, you want to refund, you literally go to this website. They'll give you a refund within forty eight hours. Report a problem dot Apple dot com and just request a refund, request a refund. Yeah, it's my first day here, you know, I'm just learning. But report a problem dot Apple dot com. Or go to your debit card, your credit card and just dispute the charge from dropbox.
Speaker 2: If you haven't used the service, if.
Speaker 1: You're still using it, you can't really, you know, do that with a good conscience. But if you haven't used it, no harm, no foul, request the refund. Eight A eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. I did mention another price increase Microsoft three sixty five This is their suite of programs on the computer, Word Excel, power Point, Outlook one Note. It also gives you storage and some other perks, one drive, all that kind of stuff. They are raising prices, so the personal plan is going from seven dollars a month to ten dollars a month, or seventy dollars a year to one hundred dollars a year. Now, I know people don't like to pay for things in advance, but I will tell you, if you're sticking with a subscription, the yearly payment is the way to go. I know it costs more money upfront and we all hate that, but it will save you significant, significant amount of money. So instead of paying you know, ten dollars a month, that's one hundred and twenty dollars a year, this is one hundred bucks a year. So better deal to go with the Well it's only twenty bucks. That's a problem. It's like, why would I do that just to save twenty dollars? But you know, if you're using it over and over after five years, you know it's one hundred bucks. Okay, I'm still not selling it, but you know what I mean. The Family plan goes from ten dollars a month to thirteen dollars a month or one hundred dollars to one hundred and thirty a year. So here's how you get around this. This rarely happens, but you can. If you're an existing user of Microsoft three sixty five, you can switch your account to a Classic plan, which will keep your current price. That's only if you're an existing subscriber. You can stick to your seven dollars or ten dollars a month instead of paying ten or thirteen a month, So you can switch to a Classic plan. Got to go into your settings and downgrade to Classic. Now here's the thing. The way they're selling this price increase is they're adding AI features. So you're getting Copilot AI in Word, Excel, PowerPoint Outlook in one Note. Plus you're getting Microsoft Designer for image creation. So that is how they're selling this to people. But I will tell you, unless you need those things, probably switch to the Classic. And by the way, you do know that you can use Google Docs completely free if you want to just use like word processing. So googleed that's what I use for everything. Docs dot Google dot com. That's their online word process saying and they have everything they've got everything you need, slides, all all the stuff that they do here. Okay, let's go to Helen. Helen in South Pasadena.
Speaker 2: You're on with Rich.
Speaker 10: Hi. Rich.
Speaker 12: I'm having trouble with my flashlight. It doesn't seem to want to work since I got an upgrade from my Android.
Speaker 2: What doesn't work about it?
Speaker 12: Just when I try to swipe down, I usually just swipe down from the upper right hand corner. Uh huh, and it and it appears as one of the options. And now when I do that swipe down, there's no the option comes up. So when I tap it, it stays dark. Really, I know, I can't figure that out. And each I've tried, you know, there's lots of suggestions for help from other people.
Speaker 2: That really you search online and people have opinions.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and other.
Speaker 12: People say, well I did this and I did that, and I you know, I sat here yesterday for like an hour trying all those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, see, you've wasted your time. Because I'll be honest, all that stuff. It's like Bobo just came in here telling me about something, and you know he's searching online. Other people have the problem. It's a waste of time because people. They chime in with these things, and you're going through the settings, you're going through this and you're downloading, and it's all nonsense, like ninety nine percent of it. So yeah, so you found that, you just went, you ran around in circles, and it's still not working.
Speaker 2: So here's my question to you.
Speaker 1: So you can see the flashlight tile when you swipe down on Android, you can see it there, but when you tap.
Speaker 2: It, nothing happens.
Speaker 12: That's correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, what if you long press it? What happens there?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 12: Let me try that.
Speaker 2: There should be a brightness indicator.
Speaker 12: Perhaps, Oh Rich, I thought I had done that. Okay, now let me see it because now all of a sudden it says it's on. So let me try it again. Let me swipe down and see if it's a hearing hold.
Speaker 2: On, we're waiting. You get the whole country on with baited breath.
Speaker 7: Here, guess what what it's odd?
Speaker 2: Where's our bell?
Speaker 4: You need?
Speaker 2: Helen? We love it.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 12: I remember the place they said hold it down, but I guess not that one. Anyway, that boy, you are a wizard.
Speaker 1: This show is changing lives, Helen. I'm telling you don't underestimate it.
Speaker 12: I needed that flashlight really badly. Yesterday I lost something in my car.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, oh yeah, my stuff.
Speaker 1: My If I wear sweatpants, whatever I've got in my pocket falls between the seats, so I need I need zippered sweatpants.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm glad we helped you out.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you spent hours yesterday on the web, you know, looking at those Reddit forms and all the you know, a technical assistance. But all you have to do is make one call. Thank you, Helen, Thank you Rich have a fantastic day in the future. If you know, if something's not working like that, I would recommend, you know, restarting your phone. Obviously the long press on the tile to come up with the options can help.
Speaker 2: Uh. If none of that works, you can download an app.
Speaker 1: And no, you have to be careful with flashlight apps because you know, we had this whole thing back in the day where they were stealing your data by taking your GPS location and selling ads. But there is an app called Flashy f l a s h y, which is a third party flashlight app on Android. You can download that if nothing else is working. But I'm glad we got Helen's flashlight to work.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: I Am going to sleep so well tonight, just knowing the impact that I have on this world, like changing lives one day at a time. Bobo Bobo's leaving. He actually just turned off the lights in the studio and he's he's walked out.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'm glad I got that figured out.
Speaker 1: Oh eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero. And in all seriousness, you know, I do love this show for this reason.
Speaker 2: It's it's really a forum.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It's really like, it's really a forum to let you know that you are not crazy. You have these problems, they are irking you, and sometimes the solutions are so easy. It's the stuff that you don't even think about. And this happens all the time. Okay, I got an email from Let's See Here. Susan said, I hope you have some suggestions. My mom is close to ninety five. She suspect to all these scams and ads. Is there any way to change in her faces so that she only sees things from her friends and family? I need an easy way to help protect her. This is a great article posted by Jeremy Kaplan of the wonder Tools blog. He posted a simple guide to keeping parents Safe online, and he just goes through the recommendations. And this is a lot of stuff we talk about here on the show, but I just figured i'd go over them and definitely check out the blog post. I'll link it up on the website. Rich on tech dot tv. Jeremy does a great job with all the AI stuff. This is not necessarily AI, but number one, he says, go for simple devices iPad or Chromebook. They are tough to mess up. They will do all the basics like email and browsing. If they need something higher and than that, a MacBook error is really good because it's just a fantastic notebook that's fast and great networking. Replace your router with an Euro That way you can remote manage the setup. You can make sure everything's working. It's got a great app. I know, I can log into my dad's eurosystem from across the country and check on it, make sure everything's working, and help him with things. Account safety, so it's saying to create two accounts, one admin account and then one as a standard account to limit risk from malware. So on a computer, you know maybe don't give your parents that admin access, and that way they can you know if they download something that's gonna be malware, it's not going to ruin the whole computer. Add yourself as a recovery and legacy contact on Apple or Google for easy password resets and future access ad blockers. Install a free ad blocker like u block Origin, or you can get a premium option like one blocker for Safari. Use trusted reviews. So many people send me reviews, Hey, Rich, have you heard of this product? And literally the website is just advertising the product. It looks like a review, but it's a total fake review. So use vetted reviews like Consumer Reports, Wirecutter, or vetted. Make sure they know those websites they avoid fake reviews. Make them use a password manager. I try this with my family members. I know it is very tough, but use a password manager to help them secure at least their top twenty five accounts like their email and their Facebook and their Instagram. Just make sure those are secured with strong passwords and help them understand how to get those passwords or to use autofill clean up all the unused apps, duplicate files, all this stuff on their devices. Like you know, when I go home, I always do like a spring cleaning on my parents' devices, on their phones and on their computers. I do all the software updates, get rid of any apps they don't use, and ask them questions, Hey, do you use this app?
Speaker 2: Do you need this app?
Speaker 1: If not, get rid of it, boot it out the door, and then just make things simple for them. Clean My Mac is good for maintenance. I love that on the Mac delete unused accounts. I mentioned that website earlier. What was it called now? Oh gosh, delete delete deesk dot org. You can help them delete their old accounts and just you know, it's spring cleaning. It's just a a you'll feel better and I know they're gonna have a lot of questions. But the thing is help them understand the scams too. There's a great website, scam spotter dot org. Have them go to that website and learn the main thing about scams is that they're trying to rush you into doing something you don't really want to do, and that's how they take advantage of you. So teach them the signs of scams and as a bonus, have them sign up for my Instagram at rich on Tech because I always post the latest scams, share them with them and just let them know, like, here's what you're up against, here's what people are trying to do. Do not fall for Amazon Prime, email your stuff didn't go through. Don't fall for Apple reset your ID, don't fall for it. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here, look at my Facebook page, Facebook dot com slash rich on tech. Letitia says, I work from home two days a week and sometimes need to scan a document or two. Is there an app that you recommend? There are so many ways you can do this from your phone, so many ways. I think the app that works the best across everything is Adobe Scan. So Adobe, you know they make Acrobat, they are the leaders in PDF. But they have an app for both iPhone and Android that works really well. And basically I don't believe you have to pay for any aspect of it. They might try to upsell you, but the basic functionality a document scanner that creates a PDF is just built in. It's free, it's simple, it's and it's the one that I recommend because it just works. Now, there's a million ways you can do this if you don't want to download a new app, and you've got Android, you can just go on your Android and long press the Google Drive icon and you'll see an option that pops up called scan and you can tap that and that will scan on there. And then if you're on iPhone, you can scan from the files app, So open up the files app and if you go into there, hold on, let me get that, and then you just go upper right hand corner it says scan documents. You can scan documents that way, So three ways to scan documents. And there's a million other apps on iPhone and Android that will scan documents, like so many document scanner apps. But the Adobe Scan I like because it's just simple, comes from a brand name, and it just does what you need without a lot of fuss, and it's just what I use. Well, I use the Google Drive most of the time to scan. But thanks to the call thanks for the Facebook post. I guess let's see. True Caller is bringing real time caller ID to iOS. So this has been a big difference between Android and iPhone. Android has had caller ID since like day one, so when someone calls you on Android, typically your phone looks up the number and shows you who's calling. Now, I'm not saying the number, I'm saying like the business or the person's name. On iPhone, this was always trickier if the person was not in your address book, you couldn't really tell who they were. Now some businesses might pop up, but now True Caller. Apple added this feature in iOS eighteen, which I don't want to get into how Apple does things, but it was like very tricky for programs like an app to actually look up a phone number in real time and display it on your lock screen. But now Apple gave that ability to happen in iOS eighteen. Is called live Caller ID look Up feature, so True Caller took advantage of this immediately. The downside is you do have to pay for their subscription to get the so it is ten dollars a month or seventy five dollars a year.
Speaker 2: So maybe they give.
Speaker 1: You a free level of caller ID on the app, but I'm not sure, but if you want to, once you download the app, you go into your settings and go to a call blocking and identification to an a p LIT. I tried this the other day on the True Caller idea. I couldn't find the setting it didn't work on my phone, so maybe your results may vary.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else Sony.
Speaker 1: You probably heard the story that Blu ray is dead because Sony is exiting the Blu ray production business. But there's a little more to that story. Okay, Sony is no longer making recordable Blu rays.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, but I don't know the last time that you made your own Blu ray in your house. You probably haven't in a long time. Nobody has same, probably the same timeline that you made your last cassette tape in your house, or recorded your last VHS tape, or recorded your last VCR tape or DVD tape or DVD tape. It's my first day, folks, you know, give me a break. Hey, we did fix that woman's flashlight, right, Yeah, So Sony, Sony is.
Speaker 2: No longer doing the recordable Blu ray discs.
Speaker 1: You're still gonna be able to buy Blu rays at Target and Walmart Best Buy, as you might recall, got rid of their section of physical media a couple of years ago, or they're in the process of doing that, depending on the store. But yes, I mean, look at the bigger answer here is that physical media is going away.
Speaker 2: It just is.
Speaker 1: It's it's been on a death march forever and it just continues to be that way.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I know there's people that want to collect their physical movies, they want to have physical media. I'm not one of those people, So I understand the nostalgia around it. I totally get it. And I understand the ownership of having something that is yours. All these movies that you're buying on Amazon and on Apple and all, they're not really yours. They can take them away at any time, look in the terms of service. So I understand having something that's yours. I totally get that. But at the same time, you can't have a big business around this stuff when nobody's actually selling them or buying them. And then Tesla is refreshing the model. Why this is a major refresh first launched in China, now it's coming to the US in March. Big changes. Not to the range though, three and twenty miles. I really wish that they could get this thing to four hundred miles. That is the sweet spot for an Evy range is four hundred miles. But again, they did get a tiny range increase about two point eight percent.
Speaker 2: That's not that much.
Speaker 1: Upgraded suspension for a better ride, less vibration on rough roads, less road noise. The doors feel better, more premium when you close them. There's a brighter and more responsive touchscreen. Yes, they definitely need that. There's also a passenger rear passenger eight inch touchscreen. There's a better glass in all the windows, so it's gonna be quieter. Let's see. The Fronk has a drain hole. I don't know what that means. I guess you can put like ice in the front, like you can keep stuff.
Speaker 2: That's kind of cool. It's actually a smart idea. Have that on mind. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: The Mustang Machy has that same feature.
Speaker 2: Have you ice down anything?
Speaker 8: I haven't yet, any reason too.
Speaker 2: I mean it's kind of fun.
Speaker 10: I get it.
Speaker 1: You got a tailgate you put the I I mean that's cool. So that's a fun feature. Three sixty five watt USBC chargers, which means you can charge like your laptop and things. They're much higher power than before front light bar. I know a lot of people it's kind of very similar to the cyber truck. I know, it's very Some people like that. Some people don't better cellular reception, better Wi Fi, and better phone recognition. All these little things that I have issue with on the Tesla. They have fixed delivery start twenty twenty five forty five to sixty thousand dollars for the new model. Why coming up, we're going to talk accessible tech right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, Talking technology. The website for the show rich on Tech dot tv. There you can email me, sign up for the newsletter, find me on social media, subscribe to the podcast. Pretty much your one stop shop for all things related to this show. Vincent writes in, Hey, Rich, I hope all as well with you and your family. Can you recommend a good QR code scanner I can download on my Android phone? Thanks, Vinnie, Well, you don't really need to download an app. Most of the modern Android smartphones have the QR code scanning feature built into your phone's camera, So if it's not on, you can go into your phone settings and it should say QR code scanning and you can toggle that on. Or you can use Google Lens, which is also built into almost all of the Android phones. You can also use Circle the Search to scan QR codes. If you see on on your screen, you can just use circle to search and tap it. But if you must download a standalone app, you can download one called bar Code Scanner. And this is a bar code scanner. It's uh, let's see who's the Let me see who the person who makes it is so you can make sure you're getting the right one. At the rock a t h A R okay Ather Rock Scanner, QR Code and products. All right, let me bring up my guest, Paul amideis Lane is a radio host and accessibility consultant, and he's going to talk about how tech can empower folks with disabilities.
Speaker 2: Paul, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Rich, Thank you so much. How are you, my friend?
Speaker 2: I am doing fantastic.
Speaker 1: So we often run run into each other at the tech events far and wide. So how is the tech world going for you these days?
Speaker 5: You know what, Rich? Is amazing?
Speaker 13: I am optimistic at just some of the technologies out there that help ones like myself in the entire disabled community, just to enjoy all this amazing tech that's out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's I think a really another side of technology is that it is helping folks with different abilities to accomplish a lot of the same things that anyone can, and I think that that's what's really neat about what we've seen recently. Paul, can you share a little bit about your story, your personal story, like what happened to you and where you're at today?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 13: I rich Back in nineteen ninety three, I was involved in an automobile accident that left me a quadriplegic and a power wheelchair user.
Speaker 5: My C six and seven vertebrae was damaged.
Speaker 13: So what that means is I do have some hand movement, it's risk movement, but I don't have any finger movements. A lot of sensation is done is a numb like under my nipple line.
Speaker 5: So that's my disability. Wow.
Speaker 1: And so I mean, do you remember, I mean, I don't know how you were when this happened, but do you remember having full ability and now having this?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely?
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 13: I remember being at vibrant youngster, playing basketball, being a musician, loving video games, and living an amazing life.
Speaker 5: And then when this happened, it was like a new normal, Like, Okay, I.
Speaker 13: Had to learn how to adapt to just what my abilities would be now.
Speaker 1: And what was that process like and has it gotten you know, you're talking what ninety three, almost thirty years now, so I mean, has technology has changed in that time.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing, oh it has.
Speaker 5: Rich.
Speaker 13: I remember when I when I first got injured, you know, just trying to turn on the TV. I wouldn't able to do it. I would have to have a family member do it for me. And then I would like take a remote and use like my lip I'm holding it in the palm of my hand just to turn the different stations and couldn't turn on lights, couldn't do any of those things. So I was just left at everyone's mercy to try to do things for me.
Speaker 5: So it was a really challenging time for me. And what about now, Ah, Now, Rich, I am unstoppable, man.
Speaker 13: I can use technology to control my environmentals. I can use it to open my back door. I can use it just to be as independent as possible now and it's amazing.
Speaker 1: And one thing to know about Paul, he is always smiling every tech event I see. And by the way, it's not like you know, you're in a wheelchair, but you're you're not limited like you. I've seen you all over the place, like in Vegas, here in La So I mean you definitely get around.
Speaker 13: Uh, you know I do. And uh it's funny. You know my family always joke around and be like you're too busy, stop being so busy. But I'm like, no, you know, I have to keep going, have to be going to different events and everything just to find out more about it. I can just live in life to the fullest, rich and meeting amazing people like you so.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you and yourself included too. What I guess, what are some of the brands or some of the things that you think people should be aware of, you know, looking into accessible technology.
Speaker 13: Well, let's let's take smartphones to uh to be precise, and I would say, instead of measuring on what smartphone is more accessible, look at the different accessibility features and the different smartphones like me, I have iPhone, also have androids, So I would say, like for the Android model, voice access, especially if you have limited mobility in your hands like I do. Voice access allows me to say things like open Gmail, scroll down, tap reply. I can do all types of things with my voice and even like with Siri, using that to open up different apps and helping me to do it. Now for once you're a vision impaired who has maybe some hearing hearing challenges, some of the features on there are amazing too, like live Transcribe, you have other type of sound notifications on Android allows you to if your coffee maker is a is completed, you'll get a notification on your phone that's done. So some of these features out there make it amazingly to be independent.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And do you think that these companies have put more emphasis on these accessibility features over the past couple of years.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, And it's been incredible.
Speaker 13: And even though I started my career in journalism, but now parlaying into being an accessibility consultant working with these different companies to make this a reality and seeing kind of the inner workings of it. Now, Rich, it's like they're really prioritizing this now because I think we finally got people to understand that all of us one day are going to age into some type of disability. So they're getting that now, Rich, So now they are creating and wanted to put these things out there so if something ever happens to them, are when they get a little older, they'll be able to use technology.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because even as we age, I mean, you're talking limited mobility, limited vision. I mean, these are all things that just happened to you know, able body people over the years.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Absolutely, So what about when it.
Speaker 1: Comes to like video games any kind of Like I was at the the there was like a season accessibility conference and they had a whole bunch of like PlayStation had like video game controllers that were very accessible. I've been to Microsoft where they have a whole line of accessories that are very customizable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I am partial to PlayStation. I'll tell you. I'll let you know why.
Speaker 13: Rich, I've had the privilege of working on some of their top Triple A games, putting accessibility features and working with their development teams, and just some of the features that they have in there now will allow you to make it so that you can don't have to have these complex button pushes or if your vision impaired, have an audio description, having all these certain things that make gaming more accessible. And working on the access controller with PlayStation that was like my Crown Jewel, being able to help them to carve out how they can have this controller where it's customizable, you can have different profiles in there. And before that, Rich, when I used to game man, I used to put the controller in the palm of my hand and use my chin, use my lip to manipulate the controller. But now single what's out there? I mean, the sky is the limit. Rich's coming down the pipe this year is gonna be mind blowing.
Speaker 2: Oh that's amazing. That's good to hear.
Speaker 1: What about all these voice assistants and AI, like, I feel like that's probably like CHATCHYBT and all that.
Speaker 2: Are you able to use that or what?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, Rich?
Speaker 13: And you know, like when we're preparing to do certain things, you know, I'm having like my own virtual personal assistant has just been been been a game changer for me. You know, I can it can help me out to edit some copy that I'm working on. It can it can act as giving me reminders out there, being able to put something together like an email.
Speaker 5: It makes me sound like like you're Rich, Like I'm like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Intelligent way you are intelligent.
Speaker 13: But you know, it really just helps me out to be able to be more independent, not having to rely on family members and help me do certain things.
Speaker 5: But but that that's been a game change.
Speaker 13: And even like smart home devices too, I mean, Rich, that is just I tell you, it's wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like all the just the things that you can program in to do and use your voice to command those things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 13: And Rich I see, yes, I know you've probably got you got a chance to see to see what Samsung's BOLLI. Yeah, and that right there. I was like, I can't wait to get that in my house, to be able to use that kind of smart artificial intelligence, to be able to take Alexa and Google to the next level.
Speaker 5: We're doing certain things.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Bali, if you don't know, is this little robot that sort of rolls around on the floor, but it can control your smart home devices. It's all voice activated, and it can also has a projector built in, so almost like R two D two style, where it's like it can project a movie on the wall or a website whatever you need.
Speaker 2: It can read stuff too.
Speaker 1: It's got cameras, like if you hold a bottle of wine in front of it, it'll tell you like all about the wine or what it pairs with and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 13: Yeah, And you know, Rich, that caught my attention because I'm like, when I next have my Rabbi, I won't bother to let me know either. Boom Farms or Thunderbird, whichever goes with it, right.
Speaker 2: I love it?
Speaker 1: Hey, So for you, you know, I know that this has been a big change for you in your life. What do you think people need to know about people like yourself? When you know you're a bit different and you know people see that and sometimes people are scared or they you know, their standoffish.
Speaker 2: What do you what's your message to people?
Speaker 5: You know, I'm like, just treat us like like like regular folks. You know what I mean.
Speaker 13: We we laugh, we cry, we hug, we love, you know, all the differences. We use a sense of and adaptive technologies. You know, I'm a I'm an open book.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 13: When someone comes to me and asks me, hey, do you mind telling me what happened to you?
Speaker 5: I don't mind at all.
Speaker 13: You know, just come and talk and ask us if we need any assistance. You know, you know, we we love it and interact. We love to be sociable, you know, just don't fear us. You know, just let's get a chance to know each other.
Speaker 1: Approaches absolutely great advice, Paul. What's the best way for folks to keep up with you?
Speaker 13: Well, they can always reach out to me. Paulamadeas Lane dot com. That's my website and even on all social media platforms, Paul Amadea's Lane even LinkedIn because I am a not a businessman, but a businessman, so you can reach me on LinkedIn to it.
Speaker 1: Paul Almadea's Lane all right, and I'll link it up on the website. Paulamedeis Lane dot com. Go to rich on Tech dot TV. Paul, what a pleasure speaking with you this morning.
Speaker 5: Same here, Rich Rich.
Speaker 13: Thank you so much for the honor for me to be able to come on the show and talk with you.
Speaker 5: My friends.
Speaker 1: Same here, same here, more rich on Tech coming your way, plus the feedback right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, just processing the last conversation. What an incredible interview, what incredible story, what incredible person. And it just goes to show that, you know, just because people are different, are different from us or different from what you're used to, it's just got to talk to them and you got to like get to know them and understand where they're coming from. And it's just you know, I've seen Paul for so many years and I wasn't really aware of what his original story was, and he was so happy to share it and so happy to be a wealth of information for the you know, accessible community. I mean, it's just really really amazing. So thank you Paul for doing that. Appreciate it. And actually this goes to a bigger kind of topic I had. So I was at the Samsung event this week. I was there for about four days, and Samsung, full disclosure, they did bring me up there, as they did with a lot of people, and so you know, it doesn't influence what I think of the products or anything like that. But part of the benefit of being at these events is the people. And I spent four days with the all the tech reviewers. I mean I'm talking every major tech reviewer you've seen on YouTube or on TV or the internet or whatever was there. And you get to hang out with them, and you get to go to the events and then afterwards you go to parties, and that is really an incredible thing in any business, not just mine, but like the people, that is what it all comes down to. So the relationships and understanding and exchanging information, you know, just asking everyone how they do their job, and you know, just it's really incredible. So Anyway, the more people that you kind of talk to, the more that you interact with them, it just really makes such a difference in your life that I highly recommend it.
Speaker 2: So don't just stay home and play video.
Speaker 1: Games, I guess, don't just like stay home and watch Netflix all day. Like get out and like even for me, it takes me out of my comfort zone. Like we go to these events and you know, I can handle this stuff, like the Samsung presentation and that, but like you know, going to like cocktail parties, going to parties, going to events, like you got to put yourself out there a little bit, right You're you know, you may not have a wingman or someone you can hang out with all the time, or someone that's close to you, and so you got to like go in and just you know, say hi to people and talk to them. So it's it takes a lot to put yourself out there in those in that respect. All right, Let's see if there's any other news that I want to get to before I get to the feedback here circle to Search. I know I mentioned it earlier, but it is getting smarter. I think I mentioned it can now instantly recognize the phone numbers, the email addresses and URLs on your screen. So that's pretty cool. I'm gonna link up a cool blog post from the popcar Bear blog about free software gems. This was posted by my pal Jared Newman from advisorator dot com. If you're not signed up for his newsletter, his is really good, but he posted this link. It's got all these different little apps that can really help, like local send, which is kind of like an air drop but for everything, send, which is like a drop Box but for like, you know, just sharing a temporary link to a file. Joplin open source note taking software, audio Mass Have you heard of that one? Bobo audio Mass, a web based audio editor quick things like splitting tracks, removing silence, applying filters audio Mass, Yeah, Calces calculator app. Let's see Chris Titus win util Windows customization tool for disabling bloatwear and optimizing the OS. So anyway, I'll put that on the link and the website as well. Rich on tech dot tv, all right, let's open up this feedback. See what you had to say this week. Efrin from Oxnard writes in, Hey, Rich, I was listening to your podcast from January eighteenth, when Stanley asked about recording shows with Spectrum. You suggested getting the Zuomo Box for his main TV, but wanted to share that Spectrum already offers digital recording for a fee. You can access your recorded programs via their app on any device. Since he uses Roku that's all he needs, it could save him the cost of renting the Zuomo de Thank you for your great advice. I love listening to your podcast and watching you on TV. Keep up the great work and say hi to Bobo what up? I love it? Thank you, Efran. I think that our caller, if I remember, was saying that he had two TVs. One he wanted the Box four and one he wanted the Roku app with the Spectrum so or the Roku Box with Spectrum.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 1: Good stuff there. Matt from Queen Creek, Arizona, rights in rich. I recently discovered your podcast and love it. A few weeks ago you discussed photo backup for phones, but I didn't hear Microsoft three sixty five mentioned it includes one drive, which I use for about seventy dollars a year. It works great on my Samsung phone. Thanks yes, Matt, and now you have to deal with that price increase. We talked about, so change to that classic plan if you want to pay more. Thanks for listening to the podcast. Amanda from Westlake Village rights in My family loves your tech reports on TV and in the car on KFI.
Speaker 2: Thank you well, thank you, Amanda. That means a lot to me.
Speaker 1: Alvin from Tewksbury, Massachusetts writes in your radio show has taught me, at seventy five, quite a lot about the technology available in everyday life.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that, well, thank you, Alvin. Let's see here.
Speaker 1: Ruth from San Pedro writes in your answer to the caller's question today on the iPad storage saved me. I had called Apple support too. No one can help me, but you. Thank you, thank you, thank you three thank yous in that one. I'm telling you, the feeling I get from this show and we actually help people is really nice, I will say. Lynn writes in hey, a warning about scams when a scam. When a scam hits your computer screen, it might not let you turn off your computer normally if you're not using battery power. Just unplug the machine either at its back or the electrical receptacle. Wait ten seconds, plug it in, and the scam is gone. I speak from experience. If you're on laptop power first, I don't know, but i'd shut the lid fast cheers. Yes, when you get those things that take over your screen, do whatever you can to get out of there. You might have to just restart your computer, unplug it if you have to, unplug it from the internet. If you have to, that's going to do it. Links to everything on the website rich on tech dot tv. I'm on social media at rich on Tech. Next week Philip Swan, the TV answer man, we'll talk about the Super Bowl coverage. Thanks so much for listening. I'm rich Demiro. I'll talk to you real soon.