Speaker 1: The latest devices from Google and their emphasis on AI. What to do if your personal information was exposed in that massive data breach. The free VPN that's actually good and you can use right now. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on. I'm Rich Dmiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. I answer your questions about technology and cut through all the clutter so you can live a better tech life. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call. If you have a question about technology, Let's open up that email as well. Just go to rich on tech dot tv. Hit contact rich on tech dot tv. That's the website. Go there at the top, hit content and you can send your email straight to my inbox. Guests this week on the show, Ryan Montgomery, founder of the cybersecurity firm pen Tester. He's going to talk about that big Social Security number breach and he made the tool that lets you check to see if your numbers floating out there, and he'll talk about that. Then we've got some folks from Google to talk about all of their new devices, Google Home, Google Pixel, Google Pixel Wearables. It's going to be a great conversation with them. And later in the show we're expecting to talk to Max Tegmark of the Future of Life Institute. He is expected to talk about the good and bad of AI. But first this week, I took a road trip to Mountain View, California. Yes, I took a road trip in an all electric suv. That's another story. I was testing it out. The new Rivian software lets you charge at Tesla superchargers, so I tested out that functionality on my way up to Google their bay View headquarters in Mountain View. This is a brand new building. It's got like a lizard skin ceiling or I don't know what you call it, roof tiles. They're kind of solar. It's really really cool looking. And that's where they held there Made by Google event. Typically they hold this event in New York City every year. This time they brought it home to San Francisco and it was a good one. First off, all about AI. Google is going all in on AI. Now, we already heard this same story from Samsung We heard the same story from Apple. But Google is in a unique position because they have been working on AI for a very long time. Most of it has been behind the scenes, powering a lot of the features on their products. Now they're saying, you know what, no, we're front and center. This stuff is out there. Gemini is our baby, and that's sort of their answer to chat GPS, and we are going to put that in every product that we make.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if you've noticed.
Speaker 1: If you log onto Gmail, if you log onto Google Search, if you go onto Docs, YouTube, it has AI built in in various ways. So for email, it might say summarize this email. At the top of your search results, you might get an AI powered search result. In Google Docs, Gemini pops up and says, hey, do you want some help with this document? So they are all over the place with their AI, and they made a point to take a dig at Apple saying, hey, we're making AI that everyone can access. We're making AI that's built into all of our products, not just our flagship top of the line products. If you remember with Apple their AI, Apple Intelligence is only going to be available on the iPhone fifteen Pro and higher. That means a lot of people have to upgrade this next cycle with their phone if they want to get access to Apple's AI. With Google, they are bringing it across all kinds of products and all kinds of phones.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The new lineup includes the Pixel nine, the Pixel nine Pro, and the Pixel nine Pro x L. They've got this new processor inside called the Tensor G four. Not the best processor in the world. Hopefully it's a little bit better. Runs kind of warm, runs kind of slow, but it's been their little baby for a while now hopefully it's a little bit better. In these new phones, improved durability, larger display options. So what I like that they've done. You've got the basic phone, which is the Pixel nine. Then you've got the Pixel nine Pro that comes in two sizes, so you can now get the same specs, but choose the size phone that you want to carry around. So if you're like me, I've been carrying a big phone for a while, I'm kind of ready for a smaller device, So you can get it in a six point three inch size or a six point eight inch size. They also went with an improved camera setup, improved front camera on the Pro models and the RAM. These things have minimum twelve gigabytes of RAM in the Pixel nine. In the Pixel pros they've got sixteen gigabytes of RAM, that is as much as a laptop computer. And Google says they're doing that because of the AI intensive tasks. If you had an older Pixel and you notice the fingerprint reader was a little slow, little wonky, it's now fifty percent faster. I have not noticed any issues on the review unit that I have, which is the Pixel nine. Can't give you my full review just yet, but I will tell you I am loving it all right. Now, let's talk about some of the new features on these devices. First off, Gemini Live. This is wild. This is their version of sort of a conversational AI assistant. I'm telling you people are going to have relationships with these ais because they sound so lifelike. You can choose from ten different voices. They are all incredibly realistic, and you can talk to them back and forth like you would a friend.
Speaker 2: So you can just chat.
Speaker 1: You can put your earbut in and chat back and forth, or you can just chat with them on the phone. You can interrupt them. You could just say stuff like this morning, I was asking about the new pans that I bought, like, what's the deal with nonstick pans?
Speaker 2: Are they good for you? Bad for you?
Speaker 1: And and I just answered like a regular person what It was pretty incredible And it stays around in the background, so even if your phone is closed you can are locked, you can still talk to it.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Scary, scary, but kind of cool at the same time. Some of the other new AI features. Pixel Studio is now a new app on these phones that is an image generator, and it's one of the best I've seen using AI. It's fast, it's simple, it's free, and it's scary good. Pixel Screenshots is a new app that sounds very simple, but it's actually quite powerful. So you know all those screenshots you do on your phone to remember stuff, Well, this index is them, so you can go back and easily search the information in those. So if you get an invite to a party, you screenshot it, next thing, you know, you could just search a keyword on that invite find the information fast. It also kind of categorizes these things. It gives all the original information from the website that you screenshotted. So if you screenshot it a purse that you're looking to get as a gift, for someone. You can actually tap that information and go back to that original website, so it keeps more of that rich mat of data. Really really useful. Kind of cool pixel weather app. I don't know why Google made such a big deal out of redoing their weather app. I mean, it's weather app, but it has AI generated reports right now. So for instance, where I am, let me do the weather report, So you tap the AI generated weather report. It doesn't automatically, I guess it does automatically show it. It says warm day with a high UV index, so be sure to protect yourself from the sun. And then it gives a couple other little insights. So AI Weather Report kind of cool, kind of fun. Then you've got this new adme feature. This is kind of a wild one. You know, when you're taking a picture with someone and it's only just two of you, you got to take a selfie. Maybe you ask someone else take can you take our picture? Well, now you have the first person stand there, take their picture. Then you swap. You go have that person take the phone. You go stand there and it merges the two photos together. You kind of see a little ghost of the other person, so you can line up the picture just right, and it merges the picture.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: In my experience testing this over the past couple of days, it's not perfect, but it is brand new, and I think they're still working on.
Speaker 2: It, but it's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: We'll see if it actually lives past like you know, the the interesting novelty of it, versus like you know.
Speaker 2: Later on.
Speaker 1: They improve panoramic pictures. I mean, have you taken a panoramic picture in a while? I haven't, but they improve those. They also have a new call notes feature, so the phone will record your conversations and give you a transcript and summary when you're done. I know it sounds scary, but Apple's doing the same exact thing. And for me, my wife tells me a list of things I have to do, I hang up the phone that I go, Now, wait a second, what I have to do?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I'm going to be I'm going to be a better husband because of this feature. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 1: Satellite SOS again, something that debuted on the iPhone two years ago, is now coming to the Pixels. It's on there so if you are in an area without cellular or without Wi Fi, you can text for help. That is incredible. Samsung can't believe they didn't come out with that, because now the Pixel's got it, Now the iPhone has it. Samsung better have that with the next go around on their devices. Seven years of operating system updates and security updates and new features seven years, So this phone's gonna last for a while. Eight hundred bucks for the Pixel nine, one thousand bucks for the Pixel nine Pro, eleven hundred dollars for the Pixel nine pro Xcel. These are in stores beginning on August twenty second. The Pixel nine Pro is September fourth. By the way, they come with two terabytes of cloud storage. The iPhone comes with five gigabytes. Two terabytes of cloud storage. That's only for a year, so if you fill it up, be prepared to pay for you know, storage after that. Also, they came out with the Pixel nine Pro fold This is their brand new foldable phone, and again it's a much better version of the original foldable. It's much thinner, it looks like two phones kind of slap together, and it's much lighter. Not much lighter, but it's lighter. That's eighteen hundred dollars. That arrives on septem number fourth. The fold is much better and I think they're going to find a much bigger audience for this phone, but I still don't really see the universal appeal of a foldable phone for the average person who is not looking to spend eighteen hundred dollars on a smartphone. All right, there you have it from Made by Google. You can find more on the website. Rich on Tech dot TV. Coming up, we're going to talk more tech news. But first it's your turn. Your calls at eighty eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one.
Speaker 2: Gimme a call.
Speaker 1: You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Well, I had no idea this morning when I posted a little video to u Instagram my Instagram at rich on Tech just how controversial evs are. I posted a video of me charging o Rivian at a Tesla supercharger, and I said, does this change your mind about getting an EV And wow, did the comments come.
Speaker 2: In hot and heavy.
Speaker 1: I did not realize that half of America doesn't like the idea of an EV maybe more. And the reasons for not liking it range from too expensive, don't feel like charging, takes too long to charge, just everything, the batteries are not good for the environment. Lots of different reasons. So anyway, if you want to post your comment, I am reading them because I'm getting a kick out of them. Just go to at rich on tech on Instagram. All right, let's go to the phones. Let's go to Corey in Costa, Mesa. Corey, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Hey man, thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what can I help you with?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 5: I saw on your Instagram the post about freezing your credit and I read the blog post, but I must have missed it, and I was a little confused. How exactly do you do it?
Speaker 2: Okay, good question.
Speaker 1: So freezing your credit A lot of people have been asking me about this because this big data hack of two point seven billion records, including social security numbers. So you can go online, you can check this database and it will tell you if your information was leaked, and sure enough, for a lot of people it has been. So I never really thought about doing a credit freeze before. But basically, once you freeze your credit and you can do it all online. Nobody can open up as far as I know, nobody can open up any credit account in your name or pretty much any account in your name because it's frozen. So when they put your social into the bank computer, it says, nope, we gotta this is frozen.
Speaker 2: We can't do anything with this person.
Speaker 1: So it protects you basically from identity theft as I understand it, and it seems scary, it's it seems like a lot of work, but honestly, I did it yesterday morning in about i'd say thirty minutes for all three bureaus. So there's three major credit reporting bureaus. There's Equifax, there is TransUnion and Experience. And the thing is what's tricky about them is that they are all at this point trying to sell you on services like credit monitoring, credit improvement, credit lock, whatever it is. But a credit freeze is free, and it is instant, and it's very simple to do. So I put the links. I'll put them on the show notes. But Rich on tech dot TV hit the light bulb up at the top. This is show number eighty five. I'll put all the links there so you can get the direct links because once you log in, it's kind of tricky to find the links on these different websites because they hide them.
Speaker 2: They don't want people to do this.
Speaker 1: Obviously, TransUnion, their entire business is selling these credit reports to banks and other places credit cards that they subscribe to get this information, so they don't want people frozen because it MUCKs up the whole system. But it's in your best interest if you're exposed on one of these data breaches. So anyway you go to the website, you sign up for the websites, you have to create a log in. When you create a log in, be sure to create a strong, unique password. You do have to provide some information, some personal information to verify you are who you say you are. And then once you're logged in, you can then navigate to these links that let you freeze your credit and you can place a freeze in a moment, you can unfreeze in another moment, and it's very very simple. So that is the process. I found it to be very easy. And the main thing is that you do need to keep track of your log in for these these different credit reporting agencies because if you don't, if you ever need to unfreeze your credit. Let's say you're buying a house, you would need to unfreeze your credit report. So that is the main thing to know. If you're not opening up a credit card or a bank account or a house loan, whatever it is, it's not an issue. It's only an issue when you need to do something with your credit. So it's probably a good idea. You know, they have made it a lot easier than in previous years now that everything's online. But good question, Corey, Thanks for that question, appreciate it. Yeah, a lot of people we're going to talk about this with our next guest, but a lot of people reeling from this major data breach. Two point seven billion records of personal information for US residents were leaked on a hacking form name social security numbers, physical addresses, aliases. It all comes from a company named National Public Data. This is a company that collects and sells access to personal data, mostly for background checks. This was two hundred and seventy seven gigabytes of data. I checked mine, I checked my moms, I checked other people's and it's a lot. It's out there, and it's scary because we've seen data breaches before, but this is very very complex information on a lot of people all at once, and so you can guarantee that this will get into the wrong hands and we're gonna start seeing a lot of issues. This is only you know, three four days in The information was leaked back in April apparently, but it wasn't available on the open web or the dark web. So now that it's available and it's out there, that's when the scam artists start taking this information and they start doing stuff with it. Now, some of the information is out of date. It even had my phone number from when I was growing up was on this database. I mean I still remember it like it was yesterday. I can still recite that phone number. I mean, how many phone numbers can you remember? At this point I was going through with my mom. I was like, can we how many phone numbers can we recite? And it's really only a couple. But teacher, kids, you know, the the vital ones, yours and your grandparents whatever, All right? Eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Coming up, we're gonna talk more about this data brea each with the smartest guy in the room, Ryan Montgomery, founder of the cybersecurity firm pen Tester.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone lines are open at eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. If you have a question about technology, give me a call. Otherwise you can go to the website rich on Tech dot TV hit contact, send your message that way. We'll get back to the phones in just a moment here. But first, uh, bringing on the man of the hour, Ryan Montgomery, founder of the cybersecurity firm pen Tester.
Speaker 2: Ryan, welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Hey, nice to meet you, Rich. I spoke to you last oh yeah, a couple of days ago. But it's it's awesome being on the show and I appreciate you inviting me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I know you've you've had quite the whirlwind week. So mediately you run this cybersecurity firm. Explain what Pentester does briefly.
Speaker 6: Okay, so the short form of what Pentester does is, originally, we built the platform around if anyone knows who I am, we built the platform around investigating individuals, so you know, I hunt down child predators and counter human trafficking. So we figured, okay, let's build some build some tools for open source intelligence, which is just a fancy word for finding things about people online. Our platform, we figured, okay, we can put this in the in the standard person's hands and they can see their entire digital footprint and then give them the option to remove all of that data, you know, from all of these data broker websites, et cetera, and know what breaches they're in with their passwords, their credit cards, their socials, you know, the family members, you name it. It's basically it's out there. There's just not a centralized place to view it all. So originally we built it for businesses and we didn't have the complete function for personal, and then we realized the demand for personal and we decided we're going to do whatever it takes. And we were told literally by an attorney that it would be a disservice to our customers if we did not get breaches immediately as they were released to the public, so we got to go ahead on that. We have stayed, you know, true to that mission, and we have the largest database in the world of breach credentials as well as personal information as the other indicators. I just told you recently, this database just came up. I was you know, I downloaded it immediately as I saw it became public. There's you know, roughly three billion records in it. It was one one heck of a task to get all of that into a database that was searchable for the average person to and make it fast in the process and handle like the traffic at the moment, we're getting about twenty thousand users on the website, you know, at per moment. So we had a huge, huge technical job basically to make that thing stand up. And it's standing tall, thankfully. But yeah, it's a it's it's very bad. What we're what we're dealing with right now is probably the worst breach in the United States that I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: That's wild, I I I would agree with that. And and so a couple of things. First off, the regular scan that you give, the digital footprint and scan that you've always had on your website at pentester dot com is just unbelievably complete and wild. The information that you reveal on there, So just that is like all the old stuff before this new stuff, and it's like so eye opening more so than any other like data broker kind of remover website I've ever seen. But the new tool is at NPD dot pentester dot com and that's where you have this new database of this uh social security number breach. I mean, so once you see your information in there, what do you think people should do? Is it the freeze the credit report? Is that the best advice?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So so when you when you look up your information, so NPD like National Public Database dot penttester dot com. But it's the acronym as you said, we threw it up there. You put in your first name, your last name that that's any state that you've ever lived in, not just the current state. Make sure you tried different variations of spelling for your name, if you have a maiden name or a different last name. Also searched that because we can't you know, there's no way for us to relate one record to another, so you know, make sure when you're searching, you don't just assume, you know, the state that you're living in with your current name is not in there. I found, you know, I found data that comes back twenty thirty years, Like yeah, my mom. For example, my mom, her her credit I'm sorry, not her credit, her her address from when she was a teenager is in this database.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a really wide ranging database. Like I, like I said, I found my phone number from when I was grown up as a kid was part of this database.
Speaker 2: So this is like, yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Like where they got it. You know, I know there were a background check company, but who gave them this data?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And so so now that this is out there, you know, there's an example. You know, there's this idea of the dark web, right, so can you explain what that means exactly? And also, like, once your information's out there in the dark web, it's kind of tough to like get it out of there, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, it's actually impossible. So when something you know, the word dark web can mean many things. In the technical realm, it means you're connecting to a network called tour t R. The dark web, in most people's eyes is just like the scary, dark, black black market of the Internet. But really, in regards to this, it just means the database is released two hackers, good or bad, or for people that just commit fraud, maybe they're not hackers. They can download these this database, they can search through it. They they'll be able to see your entire social Security number, along with every address that you've lived at, maybe your current phone number, maybe an old one, and then the rest of your family. And that's that's basically enough information to open up a credit card, run a credit report, buy a car, are maybe you know, do whatever they want to do with your information, and that data is gonna is going to circulate on the dark web, as you asked forever, that's never going to go away as well as you know. You know, we can remove your data from data brokers and we can alert you of this, but we cannot remove your data off of individual people's computers when they download the data for themselves. So my recommendation is really what you said as well, is is to just freeze your credit. Whether you're in this database or not, freeze it. It doesn't hurt it in any way, it doesn't benefit it doesn't benefit me in any way to tell you to do it. It's it's and another good thing that people I got a lot of questions about this. By freezing your credit, it doesn't stop your score from going up or down. It doesn't. It doesn't affect your credit in any negative way. The only inconveniences if you if you go to you know, upgrade the limit on your credit card, or buy a car, all the things I mentioned. You just sign into all the three bureaus individually on your phone, or if you don't know how to do that, you can call into all three and unfreeze it. It's a click of a button on their website or a phone call way for each one of them, and you freeze it or unfreeze it, and as soon as you're done doing what you're doing with your credit, just freeze it again. And and you know with with you know almost certainty that you're not going to be affected by this breach.
Speaker 1: Wow, So what do you make of all this? You know, this information that's floating around out there. You've got average people who are working, they're busy, they've got kids, family, you know, other things they're dealing with, and there's this whole world of just like we're always inundated with like scams and texts and links and phishing.
Speaker 2: I mean, your job's never going away.
Speaker 6: No, I mean it's a it's good and bad at the same time. It's a it's a it's very unfortunate that that, you know, almost our entire country was breached in the last few days. Yeah, my uh, my job, Tensester dot com is not going anywhere, you know, it's it's a blessing and a curse. To be honest with you, Rich.
Speaker 1: And how do you think the average person if you can give them some advice, what would it be.
Speaker 2: In the last minute here.
Speaker 6: My advice would be to to you know, this is this is not me trying to sell my platform. I just as Rich said, he saw other data broke removal platforms and what they do is great. The thing that they don't do is show you your entire digital footprint, which is something that you should all know. You should know if you're in a wedding photo from ten years ago, when you search your face, you know, maybe maybe you want to do reverse facial recognition on yourself, or you know, maybe you want to see what passwords were associated with every email you've ever had, or maybe you forgot about an email that you had back in the AOL days and that has a password or some private information associated with you. And then lastly, uh, you know, do the social accounts so we identify based on your phone number and email addresses which accounts you're signed up for, so you know, for yourself, it's nice to know out what's out there, and the way to get rid of that is just to lead that account if you don't want it. And then another thing for your children, if you you know, if you don't want your children on certain websites or you want to know what sites they're on, you can add them as an identity and you could do this securely through our website and and then we'll be able to tell you with absolute certainty which websites that they are they're registered to, which is a very unique offering that no one else has either.
Speaker 1: Wow, and a couple other things, real quick virus protection on your computer. Do you recommend that or do you think Windows Defender is good enough? And also VPN When should someone use that?
Speaker 6: Okay, so Windows Defenders has gotten better over the years, I'd recommend some other ones. I like Bitdefender. I also like e set, e S, e T. I like them as well. Bitdefender has a free version. I'm not sure if e set does, but I know for sure bitdefender does. And then the other question was what did you say VPN.
Speaker 2: Do you think people should use a VPN?
Speaker 6: Ever, Yeah, well, VPN can hurt so if you're in a public place. And I've made many videos about Wi Fi hacking and networks vulnerabilities just in general, and I like to simplify my contest so people understand it. But something interesting about a VPN is it stops a lot of these attacks that the average hacker could do on your network. Not only does it protect your privacy on the other side of things when you connect to a website, but on your local network where if you're on a public network I got Starbucks or at the airport, it protects you from those attacks as well. So I'd highly recommend a VPN. There's there's gonna be people out there that care about if a VPN logs what you do or they don't log what you do. All of them, for the most part, they're gonna claim they don't log it. I know that IVPN doesn't log mole because that was proven in the Supreme Court. That's one I know for sure. Of the second one, Mullavad you can mail them cash and with an account number and they'll activate it. So even if they do store logs, which I don't think they do, but let's say they do. They don't even know who you are. Wow, So you know it's nice to have. It's it's it's to be extra safe.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: All right, Ryan Montgomery, We're gonna leave it there, founder of pen Tester, the cybersecurity firm. Definitely go to NPD dotpentester dot com.
Speaker 2: And Ryan, what's the best way for folks to follow you online?
Speaker 6: The best way to follow me if you want to learn more than obviously the MPD breach right now is something that definitely, you know, act on, but if you want to follow and learn some more stuff about, you know, get cars being hacked, your garage door being hacked, how people can steal your credit card, hack your phone. I mean, I make short videos thirty sixty seconds long on all platforms, but right now, the most active is my Instagram and that's at zero, like the digit zero day, like day night is zero day. So Instagram is the best ways the place to find me at the moment, at the moment.
Speaker 1: All right, We're gonna leave it there. Thanks so much for joining me on the show today. But I'll put all those links on the website Richontech dot TV eight eight eight rich one oh one. Coming up, Samsung is expanding its AI powered Circle to search feature to more devices.
Speaker 2: Is it yours?
Speaker 1: Find out? Coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone number for the you know, eight eight eight rich one on one, that's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero on. We just got some great information about that massive data breach. It is all linked up on the website. Our guests shared some great tools, not only a way to check to see if you've been breached, but also some of the security programs that he recommended for free free anti virus, and also the VPNs and his Instagram. So I've got to all linked up on the website. Go to rich on Tech dot TV. Hit the light bulb icon up at the top and that should bring you to the show notes. We're show number eighty five today, so you can just look for that and the guest Ryan Montgomery, all of his information is there really really good information. Let's go to Eric in the Inland umpire. Eric, you're on with rich.
Speaker 8: Hey, rich thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how can I help.
Speaker 8: I jumped on.
Speaker 5: Jumped in the truck right at the top of the show.
Speaker 9: And you were mentioning something about AI tools embedded in your phones that transcribe your phone calls. And given the context, I missed what the name of it was, but given the context, it sounded like a Google service. Our company uses Apple products. Is there a service similar to that that we can implement for our program managers and stuff to utilize these tools? And then I have another question when you when you answer that one great question.
Speaker 1: So yes, the feature that I mentioned is coming to the Pixel. It's called call notes and basically, when you're in a call, you can tap and it will record the phone call. Yes, there's privacy concerns, but the according to the Google folks I spoke to, it says a recording. It says, hey, this call is being recorded by Google. You know, you can hang up if you don't want to be a part of that whatever. So that's happening with with the Pixel side of things. And basically when you hang up, it will give you the transcript of your phone call and it will summarize that transcript as well. So if someone set a phone number or an account number, or whatever, you know, notes that you have in that call. It'll summarize that, which is very handy. You said you use the iPhone side of things. Apple's also coming out with this as well. So iOS eighteen will have a feature that I don't know if they've given it a name, a proper name, but it's basically a call recording, same exact feature, it's the same exact thing. So it's built into the iPhone. When you download iOS eighteen and you get this Apple Intelligence, it will let you record the phone call and it will summarize the call and give you a transcript afterwards. So that is the main thing to know here is that it has to be on compatible devices.
Speaker 2: So the question is it's okay.
Speaker 1: It looks like it's going to be available on any device that works with iOS eighteen. Do't need an iPhone fifteen proto unlock it, so only the transcript summary uses AI. Yeah that's a good, good thing for your for your company. But yeah, that's gonna come out. That's going to come out in September, So basically, come September, you know we've got this. I've got the new pixel here. I didn't see that feature just yet on the pixel that they provided me as my review unit. But I assume maybe it's just it's coming out any day now on there, but then on Apple it'll be usually September where this stuff is coming.
Speaker 9: Out awesome, So we don't have to wait much longer.
Speaker 2: Not much longer. I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: In the future, every phone, everything's going to be recorded, not just phone calls. There's like there are pendants that people are going to be able to wear that will record all the time, so that you can transcribe your world, like your life and just remember notes. I mean, it's it's quite incredible. I know it's scary, it sounds weird, but you know, there are some business use cases for this stuff, like you mentioned. You know, even if you go to the doctor, you know, they always tell you all this stuff at the end of your appointment and you don't remember any of it, you know, and then they give you this.
Speaker 2: You know, they don't give you notes. What was the second question?
Speaker 9: So the second part of my question is our company we process ap uh daily and we are just getting absolutely buried in invoices and packing slips and whatever other nonsense you can you can picture. For a large construction company, of the paperwork flow. Is there a program that you like the best or that you recommend the best that AI can help us optimize this this constant barrage of paperwork, whether that be.
Speaker 6: An email inbox that.
Speaker 9: Is dedicated to an AI reader, AI process, or how how can we optimize this better? Because we're getting our our rear ends sticked uh with this just constant barrage of paperwork fairly large company, so it needs to be a pretty uh you know.
Speaker 6: Heavy duty solution.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well that so that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, so a lot of people have been using you know, the kind of consumer aspect of chatchybt Claude Gemini for their you know, very consumer oriented things, and of course anyone who works at a company, you know, maybe kind of dabbling with these tools to kind of figure out how they can use them in their in their workflow, you know, writing emails better, all that kind of stuff. When it comes to a large corporation, you've got to have a uh an enterprise solution for that, because number one, you've got data security. You cannot just be putting in your private uh you know, accounts payable information into some random uh AI.
Speaker 2: So you're going to have to go. I'm guessing the big.
Speaker 1: Providers that you're already using for some of these workflows are probably working on AI integrations. I think right now it's a little tricky because it's all about the privacy, and so you need to know that the stuff that you're using is not going to be feeding your information out into the larger web or into the database of these AI companies. So I know, you know, you got to look at the enterprise stuff from Microsoft, Salesforce, all those kind of big companies that are working on the enterprise side of things. I don't have a company or a solution that I like personally because I'm not really dealing with the corporate side of things. Mostly I'm doing the consumer side. But that's kind of where I would look is the companies that you're already dealing with, see, you know, see what they're looking at when it comes to AI. Maybe they already have the solutions, maybe they don't, or it might be that you have to go with one of these startups. But again, a lot of them on the back end are using something like the chat GBT or the the open AI APIs great questions today, Eric, thanks for the calls. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one coming up. I'll tell you why Peloton and fit it are teaming up. You can get some free classes. You're listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to another hour of Rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology, having a lot of fun, giving out good information that's usable. Yes, people are always surprised when they listen to this show because they're like, wait a second, I'm learning a lot. I know it's a foreign concept sometimes in today's day and age of clickable click baity headlines and quick takes and hot takes and Instagram and TikTok. No, this is the real deal. This is where I actually tell you the stuff that I think you should know. Because I am covering this stuff on a daily basis, I'm keeping track of it, I'm organizing it. I'm making sure the stuff that I think you should know is on this show. That's why I say it at the beginning of every show. It's not just random stuff to get you to listen, or random stuff to you know, get you mad or angry. It is stuff that I think you need to know as a person that's busy, someone that's working, someone that has things to do. That's why you listen to me so that I can break this stuff down for you. And I do thank you for tuning in and listening. The website for the show Rich on tech dot TV. The phone number eight eight eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. This show a lot of it does focus on Google because Google just had their event this week, and so I'm still going through some of the different products that they announced.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you about two.
Speaker 1: More of those, and then later on in this hour, we do have some interviews with the Google folks to go more in depth on those. Sophie wrote in on the website, Hey, Rich, I'm listening today. You mentioned it so fast I cannot get the name of the app. I take a lot of screenshots. It's an app to help categorize them and pull them up. It's Google something. Also, I have an iPhone fourteen. Is it just for Android or no, thanks Sophie. Sophie, it is called the Pixel screen Shots app, and yes, it's built into the new Pixel smartphones. No word yet whether this is going to come to other Android phones, but It's a really smart app. Basically, every time you take a screenshot on your phone, it indexes the information and that screenshot to make it searchable. You can also categorize them. So let's say you're taking screenshots of gifts or gift ideas or places you want to go on your vacation. You can put them into categories as well. It's using a lot of AI plus you can tap the screenshot to go back to the original website, which is smart as well. I have a feeling someone is going to make something like this for the iPhone. It's not unheard of to make an app like this for the iPhone pretty easy and pretty quickly. I mean it should be Google because they already have the technology. The problem is these companies like to have stuff exclusively for their products. We're seeing a tech world where more and more it's getting highly competitive, and so these every company pretty much kind of holds back a little bit where they have these things start on their products specifically or a specific model of a tech product that's new, and then eventually later on it will come to other products. Case in point, Google Circle to Search. This is something that launched on the Samsung S twenty four lineup of smartphones. It's a very cool way to search, where you press and hold on the home button and then you can tap or circle or highlight anything on your screen to search Google. And this was a collaboration between Samsung and Google to come up with a killer new feature that would sell a lot of smartphones. And I'm not sure if it's sold a lot of smartphones, but it's really helpful. In fact, when I am not using an Android phone, I feel lost on the iPhone because you just can't tap the screen to like search something. Let's say you're scrolling through Instagram and you see something cool, You're like, I want more information about that restaurant or those you know, that gadget or whatever you see. You could just literally circle to search and it will give you all the information. It's really really helpful, and that has made its way to more phones.
Speaker 2: It's on a lot of the.
Speaker 1: Pixel smartphones, and now it's coming to the Samsung budget line smartphones, the Samsung Galaxy A series, So this is going to be available on the Galaxy A fifty five, the A four, the A thirty five, and the A thirty four. So if you don't have a Samsung Galaxy S series or Z series. The A series is sort of the budget line. You're getting Circle to Search, which is a really helpful feature, especially for homework. Recent things that they added a full page translation homework help QR barcode scanning. It's a really handy feature if you want to see if your phone has it. If you have an Android phone, at the bottom of your screen, just press and hold right at the bottom, like almost where this screen meets the end of your phone. Just press and hold right there and your phone should vibrate and kind of light up the screen. And so you do that, and then just scribble or circle on your screen and you can see if your Circle to Search is on there. It's a really really handy feature. I absolutely love it. It's something that I don't think can come to the iPhone. The closest you've got in the iPhone is a screenshot with Google Lens, which is very similar, but it's a lot easier of a movement on the on the Android side of things. All right, A couple more products quickly here from Google pixel Watch three. This is bigger, brighter, and all about fitness. Two sizes now they added a larger size. It comes in the forty one millimeter and a new forty five millimeter option, much bigger screen. I think it is a much better looking smart watch because the screen is actually usable brighter displays. You get forty percent more screen on that forty five millimeter display. They even made the smaller one have a little bit more display, ten percent more, so they pushed it out to the edges a little bit more. They've got some new fitness features. Everyone's doing this kind of like daily readiness score, and so now the pixel watch is doing that as well. They've got this really interesting new feature called loss of pulse detection. So a couple weeks ago on this show, we were talking about how these wearables can detect a high pulse rate or a low pulse rate. Now this is detecting no pulse rate whatsoever. That's something you don't ever want to have, obviously, but now this watch will detect that. Now, this is only approved in Europe at the start, so we're not getting this feature in the US at least not right now, but I imagine they're trying to get the proper approving with the FDA. To get that or whoever they have to go through the government agency here in the US to get that loss of pulse detection, because basically, if it detects no pulse, it will call for help and text your emergency contacts. There's also a new ultra wideband chip in this pixel Watch three, which means you can use your phone to unlock digital car key functionality, which is neat and pricing three hundred and fifty dollars for the forty one millimeter and four hundred dollars for the forty five millimeter that does not include cellular. Cellular is going to be a little bit more expensive. Release date is September tenth, twenty twenty four. Then you've got some new pixel buds pixel Buds Pro two. These are all about AI. They've got GEM, which is Google's AI assistant built in. I did take a demo of these up at Google's headquarters and they actually were very comfortable my ears, very lightweight. Google says they're twenty four percent lighter twenty seven percent smaller than the previous pixel Buds Pro, which I did not like. They did not stay in my ears very well. These stayed in my ears much better. They felt much more comfortable and much smaller than the old ones. They also have a new custom chip inside, so that's gonna be good for improved audio, and of course the AI. The noise cancelation was excellent. They put me in a booth. They played a whole bunch of noises, really loud noises, like being on an airplane, being on a city street, and then they turn on the automatic noise cancelation active noise cancelation, and all the noises just blended away. So they made me listen to that. Oh what's that song right now? That hot song right now? Sabrina Carpenter, Espresso. What's the other one?
Speaker 2: Oh? Please, please please? I don't know. They made me.
Speaker 1: I think that was Espress. They may be listened to by Sabrina Carpenter. That's like all over the radio right now. They also have this new twist to fit feature, so you kind of push it into your ear and then you twist it and then that makes it fit securely. These start at two hundred and twenty nine dollars. I think that's kind of expensive because there's so many great earbuds out there for a lot cheaper. The good news is stuff from Google typically gets discounted, So would I would earmark these? No pun intended maybe about a two hundred dollars price tag, but that's still kind of expensive. I know it's in line with like the air Pods, but the AirPods Pro. But I think there's in maybe I guess the Samsung, but I feel like there's some other earbuds that you can get for cheaper that are just as good. But again, these work with all the Google stuff. These are going to be available on September twenty six. Once again, that's the pixel Buds Pro two. All right, eighty eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. The website for the show is rich on tech dot TV. Let's go to uh max in uh Lake Worth, Florida.
Speaker 2: Max. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Follow rage Max as you're talking to you, Yeah, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 7: Your program A lot. I know that, sudd you. We're discussing the security breach and credit freed.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 7: So there are three create reporting agencies and as you described, people can go and read their credit there's the fourth one that you also need to consider. Okay, the four post politic check he as Charlie HS Henry he as Edward x as x Ray Systems check systems essentially walks with banks. But when someone wants to open a checking account or setting account, the bank's checks their credit through that system. You also have to go there the website, the checksystems dot com and uh, go to the post.
Speaker 2: Of putting free Oh yeah, I see it on.
Speaker 10: The records on that system as well.
Speaker 2: Oh good tip, thanks Max.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at the website checksystems dot com and uh at the bottom of the website there is a link to place a freeze. And so you're saying, this is this is Oh yeah, okay here it is designed to prevent approval of checking savings, credit accounts, loans or other services being approved in your name without your consent.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a good one. Good to know about that. Have you done this yourself? Is it easy?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 11: I've uh yeah, actually have full gone by the record accounts of records many many moons ago because I realized that you cannot thrust anything or anybody the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even trust you, Max, but I like, I like what you're talking.
Speaker 7: But I may be a box here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do I know I'm not talking to How do I know I'm not talking to AI?
Speaker 7: And the senior side. Rich you have to be what I call these days, you have to be an intelligent paranoid.
Speaker 2: Yes, I ask you.
Speaker 11: If you are not an intelligent paranoid, then everybody can take advantage of you.
Speaker 1: Max I one hundred percent agree. Thanks so much for the call. I am so critical of everything. Even when my mom calls me, I ask her some verification questions.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what's your mother's maiden name? Mom?
Speaker 1: Just to make sure we could be tricked very easily. You are listening to rich on tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you want to send an email, just go to the website rich on tech dot TV. Hit contact up at the top. And if you want show notes for anything you hear me mention, just go to the website rich on tech dot TV and hit the light bulb icon. I take very good notes. Everything I mentioned in real time is on there. So if you're looking for something I mentioned, I know I talk fast, it is all on there. Rich on tech dot TV. Let's go to Mark in Woodland Hill's Mark.
Speaker 2: Ri Hi him.
Speaker 12: I'm a very high miles annually on cycling, so I'm out there quite often for hours at a time cycling, and I run an app that gives me in real time speed odometers, things of that nature that I can tap into. My problem is, with course, here in southern California, particularly this season, I need a phone that is heat resistant. What I find is a lot of my phones are just shutting down from the direct lights, you know, the direct sunlight, and I hate to have to, you know, I want to be able to look at the display.
Speaker 4: Do you have any.
Speaker 12: Suggestions for heat tolerant smartphones by any chance?
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: This happens all the time, especially in southern California. And you're running GPS on your phone, so that's definitely contributing to the heat. Are you using an iPhone or an Android? Currently?
Speaker 12: Android?
Speaker 2: Okay? Android? And which model?
Speaker 12: I'm not really a a cell phone cultured person, but.
Speaker 1: I guess it's a maybe like a Samsung or a pixel Samsung.
Speaker 12: Okay, yeah, it's a Samsung.
Speaker 2: Well it's okay. So a couple of things.
Speaker 1: First off, the the older phones don't have as much older and less expensive phones don't have as much cooling built into them, so that could be number one. But in general, I find that when you are out and about and your phone is in direct sun, no matter what brand I've used, they all overheat, and so it's gonna be tough if you're if you're trying to look at your screen on your bike at the same time that you're using it at the same time it is directly in the sun. So that is, uh, that's going to be a problem no matter what phone you have. But I think you know what I was going to recommend in general, there's actually kind of a cool case for a phone called the Fouzi phoo z Y. And I was not a believer, and I was at I think, I don't know if I got this at CS or somewhere. I got a sample of this thing, and I was like, come on, there's no way this thing works. And it's just it's like a thermal bag for your phone, and so you pop your phone in it and if you're bringing it to the uh you know, whether you're skiing or if it's cold outside, or whether you're bringing it to the beach and it's hot outside, you keep your phone in this little pouch. And sure enough, it keeps it, It keeps it cool, it keeps it from overheating or over freezing. That's phoo z Y, And so I'm looking to see h Mark if they have a version that, you know you might be able to put your phone in while you're on your bike. You know, that might be your best bet. The problem with this is that you're not gonna be able to see the screen when it's in here.
Speaker 2: But let's see.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm looking at they've got a cycle collection, so let's see maybe they have one that's uh, it's like a bike specific one that would work, but they do mention biking. Yeah, the cycle series. So I'm looking to see maybe if they have like a clear one. But no, I don't see a clear one. But anyway, that is probably my best bet if you want to just keep your phone not from overheating is to use something like this, and you're just gonna you may not be able to keep your phone where you can see the screen, but at least it's not gonna overheat, and the times that you do pull it out to see your screen, it will still work. So phoo z Y is the uh is the device. It's just a pouch. Basically, let me see how much these things cost. Usually it's about let's see here, thirty, about thirty anywhere from thirty toady to forty dollars. They've got a NASA one. That one's pretty cool. Now I'm telling you this thing works. I mean it really, it really does work. I'm very impressed with this thing. So that's the website to go to. Thanks for the call today, Mark, appreciate you. Let's see, since you mentioned biking, Google, Fippit and Peloton are teaming up. So if you're a paid Fitbit premium user. This is a paid user, not just if you have a Fitbit, you have to be paying for their subscription. You'll be able to access some Peloton classes starting in September. You're going to get to access strength pilates, running, boxing, and oh some classes will be available to non premium Fitbit users, but I'm guessing it's a smaller percentage. And then Peloton members they're going to cross sell, so they're going to give you special offers on the Pixel Watch and Fitbit Charge six. This is all coming in September.
Speaker 2: This is a.
Speaker 1: Multi year, multi country partnership by Peloton and fitbit.
Speaker 2: So you know you got to check these things.
Speaker 1: Everything's so expensive nowadays, so if you can get some stuff for free, why not, right, take advantage eighty eight rich one oh one. Get those calls in, we'll get to them in just a bit. Coming up, we're gonna talk to some of the Google folks about some of the products they announced this week.
Speaker 2: This is rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Give me a call if you have a tech question. We'll get back to the lines in just a moment. But first we're taking a deeper dive into Google's latest announcements this week. I was up in Mountain View at their beautiful Bayview headquarters, and I got to talk to some of the key folks helping to make their products from smartphones to smart watches and smart home devices. First up, Shanaz Zach, senior director of Product management for Pixel First. Zach explained how AI is changing the game for pixel users.
Speaker 13: It's a phone that is with you almost the whole day and the evening and the night. So I me think about Pixel as a phone and a device that is your personal device. We think of the whole staff, the hardware, the software, and the silicon, and then we think about, Okay, what are the problems the Pixel is going to help you solve to lead a happier, more fruitful, more productive life. Right now, that's how we think about it, think of how do we help people with their problems and making their lives more fruitful? And in termline too, AI and the technology, what is it enabling further enabling? Right and you saw that today when Sali Demo did with the ear buds. Right now, Gemini Live is in my ear bus try to my phone, so if I go on a walk, I can just talk to Gemini Live. Like I've been literally having these conversations because I have a dog. My kids want me to get another dog, and so I'm like, okay, which dog should I get? If I get a dog? My dog is eight? Like should I get a puppy?
Speaker 6: Should I get?
Speaker 13: I'm literally having these conversations with Gemini Live on my walk. It's really answering me these questions rather than I'm doing a search and then I get distracted with something else, I'm like, I'm on my walk and it's given me good examples, whether it's a small dog a big dog. So again, again I can think of like not so much the how do we really help our users? How does a phone make your lives better?
Speaker 1: Next, I asked about some of the standout new features in the latest Pixel models.
Speaker 13: I have a lot of favorite features, but I would say a couple that stand out for me is adme. Call notes is another one which is amazing. Again, like it's solving the problem of here's the number somebody. Especially when I'm driving and somebody gives me a number on the phone, I'm like, oh my god, I don't have a pen and paper. Can I call you back? Or then I have to like park, take bring out my phone, type the number, and the keep notes app. Now I don't have to do that. I can just turn on call notes. It takes the transcript, it summarizes that and just puts the phone number right there, or a confirmation number or any of those numbers right. So I think that's another one that I really use.
Speaker 1: In title helpful private see is always a concern, especially with phone calls. I was curious how the new call notes feature protects user data.
Speaker 13: When you enable call notes, it will read out a promt that this call is being recorded and is using for call you. So if we do that prompt to both the parties so that you know that the call is being recorded. And that's how it works, and it's completely on device private using chemin I Nano.
Speaker 1: It can be a very iPhone centric world. So I want you to know Zach's reasons why someone should consider a switch to the pixels.
Speaker 13: So many reasons, so many reasons. And I will say, I know a lot of people is you said ecosystem, but it's also inertia right because it's moving to a different device and you have all of this data and that's a lot of time you're spending also as well as like making sure users can easily transfer and move all their data, a lot of which we did not mention. A lot of focus, a big portion of the team things through that because you want to make sure that you seamlessly Mower to Pixel can use do everything that you've done in the past.
Speaker 6: And better right.
Speaker 1: Next up San deep Riot, Senior director of product management for Pixel Wearables. He's been on this show before and this time I asked him, what's new with the pixel Watch three.
Speaker 14: There's no one size fits all here, and these two sizes really give you that expression. We see people then looking for more in their watch, so when they're out and about, they want to add a glancy, more information. So we are bringing more information utilizing that larger screen. And they're also looking for more battery life from the watch, and again larger size can give that. So that has been the number one request in pixel Watch one and two, and finally we are bringing the second size with three. The feedback we get is that people really love pixel Watch for sleep tracking, for their workout tracking, for general during the day activity tracking, and on top of that, what they're really seeking is that now it's on the wrist, now that I like it, give me more help Like Google brings some extensions, bring the helpfulness, and that's what our goal has been.
Speaker 1: From what I'm hearing, it seems that Google is all about adding helpful features, and there are some notable ones on the pixel Watch three. Some will likely make their way to previous models.
Speaker 14: So from helpfulness standpoint, we are really bringing even more helpful extensions off Google and pixel So there are so many examples of that recorder app, so on the go, if you want to just take a quick memory, you can now do that. You can now live stream your Nest doorbell and camera. So for example, somebody's at the door, you're cooking dinner. You can now live stream that camera right on your wrist and do a two way conversation as well. You can say drop the package right from your wrist, you don't have to lay it. And then in terms of bringing even more helpful extensions, you can now unlock your pixel phone but just your watch. And then there are other smaller aspects of that extension, things like now you can They are smaller, but they're big features like coll assists, for example, so you can screen calls on wrist, but then also put the call on hold and call assists will do it for you to buy you that minute. So you can now go grab your phone or find a quiet place to talk.
Speaker 1: Now our watches can all call for help if you take a fall, or notify you.
Speaker 2: About a lower high heart rate.
Speaker 1: Now there's a new safety feature Google's adding that detects loss of pulse.
Speaker 14: The research scientist at Google really had this ambitious thing onlike can we detect loss of pulse, and that loss of pulse is that kind of ambitious thing where it really can help you in critical moments of your life. And how it works is that it's detecting that the pulse on your wrist along with purposeful motion using the sensor of fusion, which is taking motion data and heart rate data, combining that to see if there's any loss of pulse, and then contacting both your emergency contact and emergency services to get your quick help.
Speaker 1: Keep in mind that feature is only going to be available in Europe at least for now. All right, now, from our wrists to the living room. Rishi Chandra heads up Health and Home at Google. First I asked about Google's decision to kill Chrome cast in favor of a new set top box.
Speaker 15: So yeah, we launched Chrome casts in twenty thirteen and it changed TV in particular. Most TVs didn't have streaming apps at that time. It made it super simple to plug in something and you get apps as quickly as possible. What we've now found is almost every TV in the world has apps already built into it. So what we feel like is the next stage of where TV is going to go is how do you think about a really premium TV experience.
Speaker 2: Combined with the smart home experiences.
Speaker 15: So for example, today, like my monthly bill for streaming is actually pretty snificent between Netflix, YouTube, Premium Hulu, Apple TV, what have you. But we have these really cheap dongles powering my premium TV experience. Well, now we want to build a device that's actually optimized for premium TV, so you get the best YouTube TV experience, you get the best Netflix experience, and we want to bridge smart home as part of it, so I should be able to see directly from my TV who's at the front door, turn off the lights, automatically change my heating settings. So we're combining those two things in this new box torm factor, which is called Google TV Streamer. A box will always be leading edge inter technology. So your TV, you want to buy that for five to ten years, so it'll give you access to apps. But if you want the latest, for example, smart home technology like matter and Thread, you're going to need a device, a separate device today until that gets embedded in TV. So we always see the box is going to be a little bit head of the curve of the latest technology, the fastest processor, the most capable AI, so that's the role of the box is that you can upgrade a little bit faster than your television. Where you know, you buy a four K TV, I want it to last, you know, five to ten years potentially, whereas a box you might want upgrade every two three years.
Speaker 2: And that's how we think about it.
Speaker 1: Chandra has been at Google for quite some time. I wanted to know his thoughts on how AI is shaping the future of home and health products.
Speaker 15: I would say it's an incredibly exciting time because AI has this huge potential to change how we think about technology products. I helped launch the original Croncast, I help launch the original Google Home products.
Speaker 4: With the Google Assistant.
Speaker 15: And the fact that we can actually now apply this new technology like LMS and really think see a step function change in capability. It's super excit in my mind of where we can take health, or we can take home, or you can take personal assistance. All of that is going to change over the next two years. So I think it's really exciting time to be in technology in general.
Speaker 1: There you have it all the updates from Google's latest event, and although Google has been working on AI for quite some time, it seems we're finally at a turning point where it can actually benefit products and make our lives easier. Of course, nothing comes without downsides, AI included. All right, more of your calls coming up at eighty to eight rich one on one that's eight eight eight seven four to two or one zero one.
Speaker 2: My name is Rich Damuro and you are listening to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple A rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. You can find me there. You can sign up for the newsletter. You can see my TV reports and also email me. Just hit contact up at the top and that should get your message right to my inbox. Let's see here. Let's go to Jack in north Ridge. Jack, you're on.
Speaker 2: With rich.
Speaker 10: Hello.
Speaker 2: Hi, Hello, Yeah, welcome to the show.
Speaker 10: Hi, thank you for call.
Speaker 8: Let's go with the customer. My question is I have an ex girlfriend who is tracking me. She knows where I'm going. I think she can read my text messages. So I don't know if I need to get a track software on my phone or if there's something I can buy to see if there's something on the bottom of my car. But it's getting kind of scary, so I need your help.
Speaker 2: Well, how do you think she's tracking you?
Speaker 8: Well, she knows. She's mentioned in the conversations where I was at like physically with out like oh you were here, you were there, And I don't think she's following me. So I don't know what's going on. And some I think she had access to my text messages somehow because she knows what I was saying and a message to somebody, and she doesn't have access to my phone.
Speaker 2: Are you on iPhone?
Speaker 4: I am?
Speaker 2: Okay? And is she on iPhone?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: She is no longer like part of my she used to be part of like my Apple.
Speaker 2: ID right right, that's her.
Speaker 8: Own because that was a whole mess doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so she has a different company now, she's with T Mobile with AT and T and yeah. So I have an Apple phone and she has an Apple phone, but she's not on my network anymore. That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, but I guess the question is is she still somehow on your Apple I d like, maybe you disconnected, but she's still kind of either in your family or you know, in the Find My app, because I'm thinking, you know, there's either an air tag that's tracking you, which you know, if there's an air tag on your on your person or something like that, it would it would show up on your iPhone, you know, would say like, hey, there's an there's an unknown tracker nearby. So my feeling is that there's either Okay, so the things that I would think that could be happening here, there's either somehow somewhere along the line, you exchanged, uh sharing with that person. So for instance, my kids can see where I am on their iPhone because we've exchanged at one point, we set up some sort of you know, hey, we're in the family, and I can see where they are, they can see where I am. So I think maybe I would go through and check that on your Apple account, see if you're sharing your your location with anyone. That's what I would look at, because otherwise.
Speaker 8: I mean, I don't think I am I think I did that, but I'll tell you, I'll double check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I would double check because that's the only one unless she has a physical tracker on you.
Speaker 2: That's really the only way.
Speaker 1: Now there's other third party apps like if there's something that you know, maybe you know, like a Life three sixty or something like that, maybe you forgot about it, but again that would have to be on your phone and active. So maybe what I would do if you're on the iPhone, you know there's a there's a locations, I feel like there's got to be some link to your iCloud account in some way, So I would go through all of those, like where it says family, and then in your privacy and security, I would go through like your location services, and I would go through all of those and make sure that there's no app in there that might get access to your location that she may also have access to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well just just go through.
Speaker 1: And like make sure like for me, you know, I've got you I don't know, sixty sixty apps or have access to my location. Yeah, I mean, maybe she's just tap it into one of those. There's a lot of different ways that you can do this, but you know, if it's if it's somehow on your account, that's you know, that's the thing that you can kind of stop on your end and then hopefully she can't. But I mean what I would do also is you know, maybe is she texting you this information.
Speaker 2: How she's saying I know where you.
Speaker 8: Are to a conversation. We were talking and she goes, oh you were here and this and now I was like, oh my gosh, okay, and I said, oh, yeah, that was it was so.
Speaker 1: I mean, she could have also been she could have been calling your bluff. I would you know, she might She might just be saying.
Speaker 2: Some of the stuff.
Speaker 8: I don't think so, but maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: I mean it just you know, it depends.
Speaker 1: Like There's my point is I would look for ways to actually to actually know if she knows where you are. The other thing you can do is just turn location services off on your phone altogether for a week and see if she can still work her magic and figure out where you are.
Speaker 2: I know it's.
Speaker 1: Tricky, but if anyone's using sort of an air tag or on the Google side, one of the find my devices gadgets, they all will report, whether it's iPhone or Android, it will report back to you and tell you that you have an unknown tracker following you. So you got to look for the ways that she may have access that could be, you know, as much as just going through your settings. Let's go to Melody and Carl's Bad Melody. You're on with Rich?
Speaker 16: Hi, Rich, listen. I several years ago was building a house and in the process looking for building materials, and I'd be out and.
Speaker 1: Take pictures of the door or.
Speaker 16: That window and whatever, and anyways, I deleted all of those from my phone once my house was built and I moved into it. But now those photos still continue to show up on my screensaver.
Speaker 1: Okay, unware screensaver on what on my lap? So your mac book my desktop? Okay, so you have like a Mac computer.
Speaker 16: I have a Mac and it's on my neck. Okay, so I check the library. They're not in the library because I deleted them. They're deleted from my other devices, so they're not on my other device with my iPad in my obviously my phone, but they still show up on my screen saver, and I don't know how to get rid of them.
Speaker 2: I went to my iCloud, yeah, and they're not there.
Speaker 10: Got deleted photos or to.
Speaker 16: Delete them there, but I can only delete photos that have been deleted in the last thirty days.
Speaker 2: So okay, well I get rid of them. A couple things.
Speaker 1: So first off, have you you've gone into your you've gone into your settings screen saver, Photos and then options, and you've gone in there into that folder where it says choose folder. No okay, okay, So that's where you need to go. That's the first place to go. So I'll put these instructions on the website rich on tech dot TV. I'll put them in the show notes. But basically you need to go into the screen saver on your settings. So system Preferences, screen saver, scroll down to where it says photos. Click there and it says source and mine currently says colors. But if it says choose choose folder or photo library, you have to go in there and find the folder where it's picking those pictures out of and delete the pictures out of that folder and then empty the trash and once you do that, it will be a better place. So that's where they live, and that's where it's pulling them from. So sometimes when you add a picture to a screen saver, or sometimes it gets added, it's just in that folder forever and it's kind of copied there. So once you decide, hey, I don't want these anymore, go in there, check to make sure they're not there, and that should do it. If that's not working. There is a way to sort of clear the cash on the screen saver that's a little bit more complicated, So I think you go with the first solution first. I'll put the other solution on the show notes. But if that doesn't work, you can clear the cash for the screen saver, which sometimes you know, sometimes your computer saying, oh, we know that that Melody wants these pictures here, so we're gonna make sure we protect them. Even if she deletes them in other places, We're still gonna save a copy of those so you can delete that copy as well. But I think if you go into that folder, you may find that it's directed to that folder and those pictures are in there. Who wants to see construction photos on their screensaver? Nobody, especially when the construction's done. Great question, Melody. I know when I see the random pictures that I take on my daily basis for my work.
Speaker 2: I take so many pictures.
Speaker 1: And they show up on my Google Home and I'm like, Google, why are you showing me these random pictures? They are not fun at all. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at eight eight eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Try to get to a couple more calls here. This is the final hour of the show this week. Coming up later on in the show, I've got a great guest, Max Tegmark, MIT, professor AI researcher. He is going to talk about the pros and cons of AI. What should we be concerned about because things are moving very fast in this AI world, so it's going to be an interesting conversation coming up a little bit later. The website for the show rich on tech dot TV. If you want links to anything I mentioned, you can also email me there. Just hit contact up at the top. Jim writes in from Prescott Valley, Arizona. Hey, Rich, I've got a Fitbit Charge four. I'm a fan of the Fitbit products and wondered if any of them could push heart rate alerts to my iPhone like the Apple Watch did in the story you shared a few weeks ago. Thanks for all what you do and your help, Jim So, Jim, I think you're correct that the Charge four does not do the low high heart rate notifications. As far as I can tell, looking at a help page on the Fitbit help center, it says the Charge five, Inspire three, Sense two Versa three versa four, and Google pixel Watch will notify you when we detect your heart rate outside of your high or low thresholds when you appear to be inactive for at least ten minutes. I would also assume the Charge six, which maybe this wasn't updated for that one, that should also do it as well. So it looks like the newer devices do it, just not the one that you have. So all the pixel watches do that, and it seems like a lot of the fitbit watches do that. Plus the Inspire the charge but not the Charge force. You got to get a little bit higher. I'd go with the Charge six. That's the last one that I reviewed, and it's got a lot of good features, very simple if you wanted just a simple tracker, The Fitpit Charge six is really nice.
Speaker 2: So check out that.
Speaker 1: One great question let's see here from Rick in Peoria, Arizona.
Speaker 2: I love the show.
Speaker 1: My grand order has an eight month old iPhone fifteen. It lost its ability to send and receive cell data. Works fine if connected to Wi Fi, but no cell data phone calls and text work. AT and T is blaming Apple. Apple acknowledges the problem, but blames AT and T. The phone still under warranty. Apple won't replace it until they remove the software and reload it, but she'll lose all of her apps. I read on I read somewhere, Oh, I read somewhere there's an ongoing issue with Apple and AT and T. Any thoughts, Rick, love you, but this is the problem with searching for stuff like this online, because what's going to come up the forum where all the other people that I've ever in the world had a problem with AT and T in the iPhone, you know, trade notes and No, there is no ongoing issue with Apple and AT and T. Apple and AT and T are working just fine. It sounds like you have a problem with I message because you're telling me that phone calls and texts work, and it works fine if it's connected to Wi Fi but no cell data. So what I would do is I would do what's called a network settings reset. So go on your iPhone, go into settings and then go into let's see here settings General.
Speaker 2: Tap there.
Speaker 1: Down to the bottom it says transfer or reset iPhone, Tap reset, tap reset one more time. And it says reset network settings, and once you do that, that will reset all of your network settings and you will have to reconnect your iPhone to Wi Fi and Bluetooth, but it should retrigger the I message. You may have I message turned off over cellular. I don't know if that's possible, but maybe that's what happened. The other thing you can do is turn off I message and turn it back on. Maybe it just needs to reconnect the phone line. If she got a new phone, this is a relatively new phone that could be the case eight month old iPhone. But if that doesn't work work, what I would do is what they recommended, which is you have to, you know, restart the entire phone. Just just go back to that transfer or reset, erase all content and settings, and that will wipe the phone clean. Now, as long as you have an iCloud backup, you're gonna be just fine because all of our apps are going to come back from the iCloud backup. But if you're having this problem and you do the iCloud backup and restore, you may have the same problem when you restore the phone, which could be pretty frustrating. So it sounds like it's an eye message thing, because you're telling me it works fine connected to Wi Fi but not on cell data. So it sounds like some sort of messaging. Are these text messages that won't go through? Or is it? Is it just I messages that won't go through. If it's text, I think that network setting reset is going to work. If it's I message, that's another thing. But you're telling me it works connected to Wi Fi, So do the network settings reset. I think that's going to fix most of the issues you have. Carrie writes in how do you remove tickets from Ticketmaster from my wallet? There is no more button to select them to delete them. Great question, Carrie, and this is something that often comes up. Things go into the Apple Wallet and they never come out. So I think the problem is what you're doing is you're activating the Apple Wallet by double pressing the side button on your phone, which yes, you're right, it does bring up all of your cards and when you tap a card you can show it, but there's no way to get rid of it. What you have to do is actually go into the Apple Wallet app. So open up your iPhone, type in wallet find, you know, search for the wallet app, and now look at all of your your cards there. So, for instance, I have my WWDC twenty twenty four pass and in the upper right hand corner there is a three dots in a circle. You tap that and then it says remove pass and when you tap that, you should be able to delete that. And so there you go. Once you have that, you will be able to delete those things. Let's go to uh Elsa in Plia del Rey, California.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hey Rich, how are you doing today?
Speaker 1: I'm doing fantastic, Elsa.
Speaker 4: I need your help.
Speaker 3: So I have Direct TV satellite that I've had forever and I don't want to get rid of it. I've been kind of thinking about streaming and figuring it all out.
Speaker 10: But here's the latest issue for me.
Speaker 3: I wanted to keep the box in my living room. I got rid of my son's box so he can do the Direct TV app in his room, but in my TV, I have a Samsung TV and I can't do the app there unless I get a row crew. Is there something coming to change or I found that.
Speaker 4: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: They said, yeah, Samsung doesn't let you.
Speaker 16: I guess it's proprietary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it depends there are. So you're talking about DirecTV stream. This is their streaming service. Is that we're talking about or are you talking about Direct TV's own streaming app, which, like, are you talking about You're just trying to stream your own DirecTV account or is this through direct TV Stream?
Speaker 3: No, I'm trying to stream my own Direct TV account?
Speaker 2: Okay, which you have one?
Speaker 1: So you have a satellite, You have a satellite, and this is kind of included in your in your satellite, you can just stream direct TV correct.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I think that's the problem because the direct TV stream is a standalone app which is supported on some Samsung TVs, but Samsung TV has their own kind of like app world, and it's not one of the major players. So I mean it is, but it's not. The major players are fire TV, stick, Apple TV, and Roku. As you found out, they said, oh, just get a Roku. The problem is you don't. You don't want a Roku because you already have the Samsung TV Smart tv right exactly. So the problem is you're beholden to what Samsung allows on their platform, and Direct TV has decided that there's just not enough of a user base on those TVs to support another app because their developers have to go through and write that app, and they're just seeing that, you know what, we don't have the install base that we need to make this app. So we're going to make it for Roku, We're going to make it for Apple TV, We're going to make it for fire Stick.
Speaker 2: But Samsung TV is going to be sort of left out of that.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking on the website to see have you looked at the direct tv website to see which Samsung TV models are supported, because some are.
Speaker 3: You know, I try to get onto my DirecTV account on my TV the streaming and it just said, you know, I just wouldn't go through. I'm getting that TV would not support that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks like it looks like it's not on a lot of TVs, especially older TVs.
Speaker 2: How old is this TV?
Speaker 4: About five? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at all the TVs on here and they're all relatively new.
Speaker 2: So I think the best bet for.
Speaker 1: You if you want to add that that service there, you're probably going to have to get a streaming stick, and the cheapest one is really, you know, like the fire TV. I think that one's pretty cheap. Amazon typically has them on sale. I know it's not ideal, but what you can do El says, you can breathe new life into this TV. Are you using other streaming apps on this TV or no?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: So the good news is if you get this little you know, fire TV stick, you will be able to download all of the other apps that you already have. You're just going to have to go through that input instead of using the native kind of like TV interface that you're used to. That's the downside, and you know, but the the good news is the the out outlay, Like the expense for this is probably about thirty dollars, so it's not too much of an expense. It's more of a mindset that you've got this TV, you've got this smart TV interface, you can't get the app that you want on that interface. And so that's that is frustrating for sure.
Speaker 3: And one more day before I let you go, because as it turns out, direct TV came out with a genie that then I can get my apps or I don't know. Yeah, so the Technlicson came out and said, you know, it's what you just said. It's going to be alike because now you have your system going through something else. He's like, if you have all your apps on your TV like you do now, you don't really need it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed. I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: So I would say, do you what about just ditching the satellite altogether and just signing up for direct TV stream.
Speaker 8: I considered that.
Speaker 3: That was my whole that was the purpose, so I could try it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the problem is it's not any cheaper. The problem is it's not any cheaper.
Speaker 1: Whatever you do, like Direct TV stream is basically the same price, and you may have like a promotion going with direct TV.
Speaker 2: So I would just personally, what I.
Speaker 1: Would do is, uh is, just get the dongle, get the fire TV stick, all of the apps that you're already using on Samsung TV, download them to the fire TV stick or the Roku if you want to go Roku, go with that. They make a small stick as well, and then you know, just use that as your interface on this TV and that way you can still use your Direct TV. The only thing I would do is just check with direct TV to make sure that the app that you need to download is available on these streaming sticks, because it is. It sounds like it's slightly different than the DirecTV stream app, which is more widely used than the Direct TV app that I think you need to use to sign in with your account.
Speaker 2: More of your calls coming up.
Speaker 1: Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. California is going to introduce digital driver's licenses in Apple Wallet. I'll tell you about that, plus the VPN that is free and it installs in your browser quickly. You're listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology. Coming up, we are going to talk to Max Tegmark, MIT professor and AI researcher about the AI world we live in and what could potentially be good and bad about that. Let's go to Robert in California. Robert, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 10: Very Rich.
Speaker 17: I have a question, another direct TV question as Yeah, what are the chances I just installed five TVs at a bar in Venice and their direct TV and there used to be a feature on their boxes where you.
Speaker 10: Could have them automatically tuned to a Dodger game, so gets the business account, so the bartender didn't have to pick up a remote and change it you could program another TV that it would change over to, you know, the the Rams game, and they got rid of that feature. So my thinking was, well, that's cool. If the boxes can talk to Google or to Alexa, I'll just do a routine and you know, one of the bartenders or something a little set it up for the.
Speaker 8: Week or something.
Speaker 10: But they don't talk to Google or Alexa. And I don't want to use a Harmony hub.
Speaker 4: I thought about that, but.
Speaker 10: Is there something similar to a Harmony hub where I could have it change channels for me on a schedule.
Speaker 1: I think we've had this question on the show before. I'm trying to remember. So the auto tune, Yeah, they don't do that anymore. And these boxes the only thing I'm okay, the thing that I think might work. And maybe you've already thought about this, but what about just DVR ing the games and so the DVR switches to that channel at that time.
Speaker 10: Shoot, that'll work that it'll just switch once you do the DVR.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, the the problem is I think there's probably like depends on how many tuners there are on these boxes. So let's just say you have the box and there's two tuners, you know, because a lot of these DVRs have like two tuners built in. So what I would do is try to see if you can record the game on both tuners, you know, like maybe record like that. That's the only downside to that plan.
Speaker 10: And maybe the Genie they're the Genie boxes, so uh, I'm not sure that they I didn't even look into whether they're recording, but that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's that's the only thing I can each has its own box. Yeah, I mean, that's the only thing I can think of is just try it program the games in, you know, just just I mean anything, just record anything and see if it switches. But I'm just remembering from the days of TVO. What it would do is it would if you had, let's say you had a thing recording, it would record that on the tuner you weren't using in the background, and then the foreground would continue to stay on the show you're on. But the way to get around that would be to record maybe both. I don't know if it'll let you record on two different tuners, but that's the only thing I can think of other than other than some sort of like ir blaster like you said, like a matrix switch. Yeah, well that that could work.
Speaker 2: But what would that How would that work exactly?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 10: A major switch. Then that's that's that's on the internet that I can talk to and have a schedule. Yeah, it's like a smart matrix switch. But I've never seen anything like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it seems that seems like you're getting a little complicated too, you know, like you want to keep this simple because you want it to work and you want to run your business. But I think the DVR, Try that and see if that works. If not, I mean, you know, some sort of IR blaster or like you know, I'm trying to It's just depends on what the genie can.
Speaker 10: You know, Harmony, the Harmony hubs are just they still work, no, right, they're just not supporting them anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's just so complicated, you know, it's like you're gonna be programming and sitting there and trying to figure out you know, all these times. Try the DVR thing. I think that might work. But report back, go to the website. Let me know, you know, Rich on tech dot TV. Hit contact sounds like a fun place. Sounds like you got a fun place going there. Thanks for the call, Robert, appreciate it. California. Speaking of California, if you live in California, soon you're gonna be able to add your driver's license and state ID to Apple Wallet.
Speaker 2: This is coming soon.
Speaker 1: We don't have a date just yet, but Apple has announced it and this is going to happen. So I got a demo of this yesterday. You basically scan your ID with your iPhone, they verify it through the state. Then all of a sudden, you get a digital version of your driver's license. And what's neat about this is that any business can just use an iPhone to check to see the validity of your ID. And the best part is it is private. So when you show your ID to a bouncer, if they have a photographic memory, they could remember everything on your ID, right, everything from your age to your weight, height, whatever your address. With this, it only presents the information that they need to verify. In fact, if you're presenting for like, let's say you want to verify that you're twenty one, you tap your phone to their phone and it will just verify without even exchanging your day to birth. It just says, oh, yeah, this person's over twenty one. It's all encrypted. Arizona, Maryland, Colorado, Georgia, and Ohio already doing it. Coming soon, Connecticut, Hawaii, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, Utah, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico. Yes, this is happening digital IDs. You still need to carry your physical though. Don't forget. This is rich On Tech. Welcome, come back to rich On Tech. Very excited for my next guest, Max tech Mark. You know we're all about AI. Max tech Mark is an MIT professor and AI researcher. He's also a best selling author and founder of the Future of Life Institute. Max is going to talk to us about AI, its potential, and what could possibly go wrong.
Speaker 2: Max, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. It's a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Well thanks for joining me, appreciate it. I'm curious because, well, first off, just briefly explain the Future of Life Institute.
Speaker 2: What are you doing there?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so my day job is just being a professor at MIT doing AI research many years so I'm basically a huge nerd. But ten years ago I also started this nonprofit organization to make sure that this ever more powerful tech rebuilding actually just used for for good things, not for bad things.
Speaker 1: So you were initially very optimistic about AI's potential. What made you hopeful? And then I think the landscape has changed, So what kind of changed your tune to saying hey, we need to be aware of this and kind of cautious.
Speaker 4: Great question, So let's look at the big picture a little bit here. You know, the big idea that's given us all of computer tech and all of AI so far as this idea that the brain is really a biological computer and that therefore, you know, we humans should be able to build machines that do everything the brain does. For a long as time, we struggled with figuring it out. And actually, back in nineteen fifty one, Alan Turing is kind of the godfather of the whole field to day, I said that, you know, befar off, but if it ever happened, it's going to be cool. But we might also we're probably going to just lose control over it. We're going to build a new robot species basically, and they're going to take over Earth. But don't worry. And then he said, I'm going to give you a canary in the coal mine a test, so you know when it's close. He said, it's called the Turing test when machines get good enough at mastering language and knowledge that taken fool a lot of people into thinking they're humans.
Speaker 2: Now we're there.
Speaker 4: This is where we are all of a sudden right now with GPTs four oh and so on. So you know, there's a lot of fascinating debate about this. People. Some people are very excited, some people are concerned. I'm actually both. The people who are excited, they are like, they're like, oh, this is great, because if we can make we can amplify our intelligence, then we secure cancer, all the other diseases, fegure out how to lift people out of poverty, solve climate, you know, go to space. On the other hand, a lot of people wants to remember tourings warning. You know, we're the ouphae species here on Earth, not because we're are more muscular than tigers, but because we're smarter. Right, So it's pretty obvious if we build a robot species with ten billion robots that are way smarter than nuts in every possible way, better at manipulating us, better at building robot factories, better at inventing tech. They don't care about us.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, do you think do you think there's a scenario where we build the robot and eventually it turns on us.
Speaker 4: Well, of course, of course there is, That's what Touring was talking about. But there's also a scenario where it goes really well, So I'll take that one. Well, the thing is we shouldn't stay here and eat popcorn and just go to watch the future unfold, right, which is we're building it now. So which way it's going to go wholly depends on what we do. If we raise children, for example, we put a do you have kids?
Speaker 2: I do, yes.
Speaker 4: You probably put a lot of effort into not just teach seeing them what a nice is and teaching them how to make fights, but also teaching them morality and teaching them what's the good ways to use the knife and the mass and not the bad ways. Right, And we need to do the same with our machines. And if we just have if you just take a bunch of kids and put them in the kindergarten and give them a bunch of chain saws and hand grenades and tech that they're they don't quite have the wisdom to handle, of course it's going to go badly, right If you educate them, well, great, things can happen.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing. So, I mean, we live in America, capitalist society. We've got companies like Google, We've got open AI, We've got Anthropic, We've got so many companies. AI is the hottest thing right now. If one company doesn't do it, isn't another going to do it? Because it's all in the in the you know, they're trying to be the biggest and the best depends.
Speaker 4: You know, look at the pharma. Would you say that, oh, if one person doesn't thee one medical company isn't allowed to build some self sentiment to everybody, someone else is going to do that. Of course not. That's where we have the FDA, right so there's a safety standard and there's a race to the top where companies whatever company can first produce safe drugs so they can persuade some FDA experts this the benefits of this O way, the harms, they make the money. So there's a lot of discussion right now in California right about this new law s the where will they try to put in place some stuff going in that direction to make AI be a little bit like more like biotech or airplanes or cars. Where where the ultimately you have standards that the companies have to meet so that they compete to make space stuff.
Speaker 1: So you think that would be that would work. Now that's in America. Do you think that would work worldwide?
Speaker 5: Totally?
Speaker 4: I mean not because other countries like America. But you know why is it that China has an FDA, Well because a bunch of GIA these companies poisoned the ruse of Chinese people in the past with bad drugs, so they decided to protect the Chinese. They were going to have some laws same in Europe. So actually it's really interesting. Europe has a new law now that u AI trying to have some shot safety standards for aire. China already enacted some so a lot of people in California. Senator Weener I really applaud this effort is trying to get something similar in California, but California law is much weaker so far, but I think it's a it's a good first step at least since there's absolutely nothing happening in Washington, DC.
Speaker 1: What's the most concerning part about all this is it the fact that we don't have these rules in place before these companies continue to progress, or.
Speaker 4: What yeah, I think so. It's a there's so much opportunity, as we just talked about, right to do amazing things with this technology if we do it right, and it would be an incredible pity if we squander by having creating also the disasters you know last year, it's CEOs of all the top companies that you just listened there a thropic, Google, Beat, Mime and Open AI, together with some of the most famous A researchers in the world, find this open statement saying it is to cause human extinction if we don't act carefully. So that's all.
Speaker 1: That's a big statement, human extinction from something that we're creating on a computer.
Speaker 4: Well, you know again we're not. Yeah, if you think people who dismiss this as just ridiculous, they tend to think of AI as just a new technology like the Internet or the Steam engine, whereas the AI researchers and the CEO to sign this, they think of it as a new species because you know, if you have something which is much smarter than us and can live in a robot body and can do absolutely everything we can, and build copies of itself and it's own robot factories, not even species, right, and I think we should really think twice if we do this, to make sure it's a species that we liked us and it's going to help us flourish, rather than some species that just doesn't care about us and just use us as an irritating test.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is so wild.
Speaker 1: I just I really it's it's like it's exciting because most of the consumers are just using things like chatchybt uh, you know, and and Claude and you know, Gemini and so it's it's just text based. But I think the next level is what you're talking about, because someone is going to build this into a robot form, which you know, we're already seeing a little bit of that.
Speaker 4: So of course, I mean it's up driving cars a robot. This doesn't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in an Hollywood movie, and it has a different shape and there's a huge effort. Now it has less Optimus and then a bunch of other companies, and you know what's the craziest thing is it's that it's happening much faster than that we stought, you know, five years ago, almost all my professor nerd colleagues thought it's something as good as Chatsypt. Four oh was thirty forty years away, and boom it happened. You know, it turned out there was an easier way to do it than we start. And a lot of people now who used to think that this this that's getting totally outsmart, My machine might be one hundred years away, or now saying maybe it's it's a lot closer, five years away, maybe it's two years away. Are you even here people one year away? Some people say no, no, it won't happen for a long time, won't happen until end of the decade, like twenty thirty. So that we're not talking anymore about something happening on this timescaled climate change. We're to talk a lot. There's a real seriousness thinking now that you might just few years away from it, and that means we kind of have to get back together. And I have some insights from State of California and from the governments and so on. Basically, if we can have an FBA for AI to make sure that it's gifts as we get on the benefits and then other downside, we have to start. Now.
Speaker 1: We're gonna leave it there, Max, Thank you so much. Max teg Mark from the Future of Life Institute Futureoflife dot Org. Thanks so much for joining me today. That is such a wild, wild topic and oh my gosh, and I'm telling you I'm having this conversation where I just I just got on my phone the Gemini Live, which is Google's kind of humanistic version of AI, and it is very convincing. So I see a future where build this into a robot and game over all. Right, coming up, we're gonna read the feedback. These are your comments, your questions, your emails, all coming.
Speaker 2: Up right here rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech, closing out the show. Our number three here closing it out two stories before we get to the feedbag. Rich on Tech dot tv is the website, by the way, new world record for the most gaming consoles hooked up to one TV four hundred and forty four.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: This is a guy from Saudi Arabia has the new Guinness World record, uses over thirty RCA switchers and twelve HDMI switchers, manages it all via an Excel spreadsheet. He's got everything from the nineteen seventy two Magnavox Odyssey to the twenty twenty three PlayStation five, Slim his favorite the Sega Genesis. And if you're looking for a free VPN, I mentioned this on the show. Proton offers a free VPN, but now they also offer access to it via a browser extension, so you can encrypt your browser traffic with just one click. Now available for all Proton vpn users. Even the free users extension is compatible with Firefox and Chrome Edge Brave operates independently, no need for a desktop app. This means that you can install this on your browser and very quickly and easily protect your browsing with a VPN. The free plan offers one connection. Paid plans allow up to ten, and this is good. If you're in a country where you can't get a VPN on your desktop store maybe it's blocked. You can just install it through an extension, So check out Proton vpn in the Chrome web Store and Firefox add ons. All right, now, time for the feedback. This is the emails, the comments, the questions you email into me. Jay writes in hey, Rich, I have an Amazon Echo plugged into my PC running Windows ten, but it has no microphone. I want an Alexa app for my PC so I can add remove Alexa functions via the app on the computer. The only apps I can find it for smartphones. Thanks for any help. There is an Alexa app for Windows. I would try that, but yes, most of the functionality is through the smartphone apps. Do you not have a smartphone, because that's pretty rare these days, but yes, try downloading the Amazon Alexa app for Windows. Look in the Windows Store search Amazon Alexa. Neil's writes in I thought AltaVista did extremely well with its search results. I could hardly tell the difference between what Google returned and what AltaVista returned. In the late nineteen nineties, Google drowned out Alta Vista, Yahoo and others because of perception of marketing not necessarily superior results. Had Alta Vista survived and had the marketing power Google had, they might be major competitors.
Speaker 2: You said it yourself.
Speaker 1: Google has thrown billions at companies over the years to be to the fault search engine.
Speaker 2: Alta Vista didn't have those billions. I do agree.
Speaker 1: I think AltaVista back in the day was very good, but I do think Google had better search results. At a certain point people realized they did have better search results, and I think that that's what powered Google in the early days, and I think what solidified their power was some of those deals you talked about. Thanks for the email. Harry writes in from North Carolina. I just heard a segment about a solar powered electric car. I was wondering when someone would put a solar collector on the roof of a Tesla. You were the caller recommended mention the automatic driving mode of the Tesla. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, there's no place for automatic driving mode. I've been driving since nineteen fifty six, including semi trailers. My driving career ended due to an accident, but my driving education remained. Too many people wrongly depend on cruise control set at slightly above the speed limit and sit alone in the passing lane, oblivious to their surroundings. I'm concerned about allowing an automatically driven vehicle to ride alongside trucks and tires.
Speaker 2: Where's where's the intelligence? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Use my automatic driving a lot, and it's pretty good. You gotta keep an eye on it like anything else. Thanks for the email. Dylan from Saint Louis writes in months ago, you mentioned raise now called c GCX. I've become a huge fan of the site. I now only buy Starbucks, Amazon, and many other gift cards from this site to get a discount. I don't go into any store online or in person without checking if GCX has a discounted gift card. I don't know why everyone doesn't use it. You might want to mention it again on your program. I'm a devoted fan who listens to your podcast every week. Thanks for your hard work and all you do in helping us understand tech. Yes, raise, I didn't realize they changed the name to looking looks like it's Gift Card Exchange or something GCX.
Speaker 2: It is a great site. You save money.
Speaker 1: It takes a little bit of work, and not everyone wants to do the work, but yeah, if you do it, you can get it. Let's see what else here. David from Northridge writes in thanks for carrying the torch for free tech on the air and on podcasts. Keep up the great work with all the new stuff and helping other PE people. Dave from North Rich thank you for that. Daniel from Ruther for ten rights in where's that? Ruther for ten a North Carolina Rich just wanted to say thanks. I love the podcast and I always get a little knowledge to help me my tech life.
Speaker 2: You're the best. Well, thank you, that is my goal.
Speaker 1: Harley from Tallahassee rites in, mister Demiro, I always enjoy your informative show. I listen on Sundays at seven pm Eastern on WFLA one hundred and seven FM. Well, thank you for listening there in Tallahassee, Florida. Macy from Coast to Mesa writes in, I've been watching you on KTLA since you first started. Oh my gosh, I probably didn't have the gray hairs on the side. I've used your advice on so many issues. You are more helpful to the quote common people than you probably know.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what.
Speaker 1: That's probably because I'm a common person. You know.
Speaker 2: This is the thing.
Speaker 1: I am not a tech expert. I'm not a tech like you know. I'm not like an IT person. I'm just an average person that loves this stuff. And that's why I try to tell you what we need to know about this stuff, because I'm just the same.
Speaker 2: I get a gadget just like you.
Speaker 1: I just happen to get a lot of them, so I get to play with a lot of this stuff and tell you the good, the bad, what we need to know, the websites that are useful. That's the best part is it's all for you that's going to do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to rich on tech dot tv. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on tech if you want to check my Instagram Instagram, that's where I am the most. Next week, I'll tell you about a set top box that's made just for seniors in mind.
Speaker 2: It's really cool.
Speaker 1: And if you want to sign up for my newsletter, go to the website rich on tech dot tv pop in your email.
Speaker 2: It is free.
Speaker 1: I do appreciate if you become a paid subscriber. That is something that is completely optional. It's just to support my newsletter and the work I do there. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I really do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. My name is rich d'miro. It has been an honor to hang out with you for the last couple of hours. I'll talk to you real soon.