Speaker 1: Hey, there are folks. It is Sunday, September the seventh. We have a winner. Actually, we have two powerball winners, and one of them is coming out considerably better than the other. Welcome to this. Unfortunate that we still have to do edition of Amy and TJ. We were hoping to have retired last evening after the powerball drawing. It wasn't to be for us. You're looking for our ticket? Yeah, okay, yes, here is our ticket. We only did five now, of all the numbers, the winning numbers eleven, twenty three, forty four, sixty one, sixty two. The power ball was seventeen. We, as far as I could tell, only out one of any of those numbers sixty two anywhere on the ticket.
Speaker 2: Yes, does that mean we won anything?
Speaker 1: Maybe two dollars, so we didn't even break even. Wow this situation. But really, folks, I said those numbers, you might not have won the jackpot, but you need to check those numbers. Still, they're urging people to do so because last night there were a ton of winners. Actually, they say nine point nine million tickets won something wow, one something that's amazing in some way. And then they got two hundred and thirty two tickets floating around out there that won fifty thousand dollars. Another ninety tickets out there that won one hundred thousand dollars. So don't think just because you didn't win the jackpot, ah, throw this away. You could match certain amount of numbers and the powerball still and pick up some money.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what, see my favorite number, seventeen. I definitely would have picked that for the powerball on one of them. See, I got a hand pick this. We did the thing that we weren't going to do, which was the quick pick.
Speaker 1: Okay, well what was eleven? Okay, here's the powerball numbers.
Speaker 2: Two eleven is one of the numbers I would have picked. Forty four, twenty three, No, probably not.
Speaker 1: I mean nothing to you. Okay, we'll about sixty one and sixty two.
Speaker 3: No, but forty four, eleven, and seventeen were absolutely numbers that I would have picked.
Speaker 1: Y had his works, Folks, she won time.
Speaker 3: How much would I have won if I'd gotten two of the regular numbers and a power ball.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure, but a lot.
Speaker 2: I'll give you more than two dollars exactly.
Speaker 1: Anyway, folks, we're hopping back on here on Sunday, because yes, the somebody won somebody's one. Ultimately, the jackpot was worth this one point seven eight seven billion dollars. It's the second largest jackpot in US history. This would put the cash amount at eight hundred and twenty point six million dollars if you choose to go cash now, Ropes, those numbers are actually a little lower than the initial estimates. They say one point eight and I think the cash option was eight hundred and forty six, so it came down a little bit.
Speaker 2: But it's still nothing to snub your nose at.
Speaker 1: Let's just say, of course, but now here's the thing. They have to split it. Don't get me wrong, they're still doing well. But we don't have one, but we have two winners ropes.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny about that?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: I feel like this is always the case when you finally decide on a house or an apartment and you put down your offer and it could have been on the market for months, and the day you do it, someone else does too, and suddenly now you're in a bidding war. I feel like the same thing happens with this, where you wait months and months and months, there's no winner and all of a sudden, when you have one, you got too.
Speaker 2: What are the chances of that?
Speaker 1: Okay, what are the chances of they're being two? When they tell us the chances of their just being one is one in two hundred and ninety something million, right, what are the chances of two? I don't. I can't compute.
Speaker 2: I can't either that.
Speaker 3: But that blows my mind and it makes me suspicious, because I'm always especially even like you know, we're suspicious of the realistic agents who tell us, oh, sorry, we just got another bid, and you're like, really, after all this time, as soon as we put it in, now there's another bid. I feel like it's a similar Scratch your head, How does that work?
Speaker 2: What are the chances?
Speaker 1: And it feels awfully personal over there to you right now, But let's stick to who won. They won in two particular states, the state up Texas and the state of Missouri. Now robes one point seven eight seven billion dollars. There's a lot of money, and if you split it in half, that's a lot of money. So if they had to split it in half, that would mean they would get eight hundred and ninety three million, five hundred thousand dollars apiece. Again, that's only if they take the thirty year option. Most who does that?
Speaker 2: Who does that?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: I don't know anyone. Someone who doesn't trust themselves with the money, I guess.
Speaker 1: Or financially speaking, if you're looking in, if you play in the long game, it is the better way to go. So the cash option, they now have to split it. So the cash option is eight hundred and twenty plus million dollars. They split it. So now robes, these two people who are part of this record breaking jackpot are going to take home four hundred and ten million, three hundred thousand dollars each. But before taxes. How does that sound before we even get to the taxes part.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would be so fine with that.
Speaker 3: Yes, that sounds amazing actually, And then of course the feds take here, we go thirty seven percent because you're at the highest tax bracket now, and so that's you have to subtract what one hundred and fifty one million, eight hundred and eleven thousand, So then your payout after federal taxes alone is two hundred and fifty eight million, four hundred and eighty nine dollars basically, So yeah.
Speaker 1: You're going around two hundred and fifty two hundred and sixty million dollars four hundred and ten million to two hundred and fifty eight million. Your numbers keep getting smaller. And this is how now the winner in California is coming out better than the winner in Missouri because California does not tax lottery winnings. Of course they are a high tax state, but they don't tax your lottery winnings. I applaud them for joints. I do too.
Speaker 3: Yes, So if you so, the Missouri winner is going to take them two hundred and thirty nine million and some change, and the California winner is going to take two hundred and fifty eight million and some change. So basically, the California winner gets twenty million dollars more.
Speaker 2: Than the Missouri winner. That's wild when you think about it in those terms. Twenty million dollars.
Speaker 1: That is real money.
Speaker 3: You know what, to live in California, you might need twenty million dollars more than you do if you live in Missouri.
Speaker 2: Having lived in Missouri myself, well that's.
Speaker 1: Twenty million dollars. And again this is after tax money. This is twenty million just gone that you could have had cash, and because you live where you live, you are getting twenty million less than the same person living in another state.
Speaker 3: Wow, all right, Well, I still think if you're in Missouri and you have two hundred and thirty nine million, two hundred and four thousand, nine hundred dollars, you're going to be just fine.
Speaker 1: Just is there something do you find though, that feels when we talk about a reg to say one point eight billion dollars, that you can go from one point eight billion down to taking home four hundred and five hundred million. To think that taxes in this country, yes, they are actually getting a billion plus of a billion. Wow, one point eight billion.
Speaker 3: What does the government do with tax lottery earnings? I mean, I'm sure they do such good work with it, so at least we can rest assured that our lawmakers are putting that money to good use. I'm sorry, I couldn't even continue the sarcasm you.
Speaker 1: Are on, you are on some other stuff. We were trying to have a good time and enjoy.
Speaker 2: At least they pave the roads here, you know, in New York.
Speaker 3: So I feel like when I pay my taxes, I just feel good about that.
Speaker 1: Goodness. What are you on today. But hey, here here's the thing, folks, there's a reason we keep telling you do not do not throw away those tickets. Need to keep an eye on them and check the numbers. We will tell you in fact, just how many more winners there were last night. Yes, folks, we got a whole bunch of folks waking up today calling themselves millionaires. Continuing, now, folks, congratulations to the folks in but Missouri and in Texas who have now this morning woken up and found out that they are going to split the record jackpot, the one point seven eight seven billion dollar powerball jackpot last night. I see you looking through there, trying to confute it's Texas. It's Texas. Yes, yes, yes, the note yes, they don't tax it in California. That was my mistake. It's it'sas. Texas doesn't have income tax, so yes, Texas. All the numbers still apply correct. But yes, the winners were in Missio and Texas, as we said at the top, not in California. Missouri and Texas is where the two folks. But yes, the one in Texas is going to come out better. We do know it was sold in Frederick Fredericksburg, Texas, which is just about seventy miles outside of San Antonio at a big convenience store.
Speaker 3: Nice And I love that the convenience stores or wherever those winning lottery tickets are sold, they always do a nod to those stores who sold the winning tickets.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of cool.
Speaker 3: Not just the lottery winner or the person who bought the ticket wins, but the whole convenience store does, so it's always cool.
Speaker 1: I don't have that number. It's something is it a flat fee or is it a percentage that I don't know, I can't remember where. Some of them come out really really well having sold the winning ticket. They are very excited. I'm sure you've done this at some point along in your career, where there's a lottery winning ticket sold somewhere nearby and we run out and we interview the convenience store work.
Speaker 3: Oh. I have done many a live shot outside of a convenience store or a gas station where a big lottery winner has one. So they say, typically for major jackpots, it's one percent one percent of the prize, and that money doesn't come out of the winnings from the person who bought the ticket, but actually the state actually pays it out from the taxes that they.
Speaker 2: Get from it. Yeah, one percent, they say, that's typical one.
Speaker 1: Percent of a ticket that's worth four hundred million.
Speaker 3: They put caps on it usually, so Ohio, for example, pays up to one hundred thousand dollars, so they put a cap on it.
Speaker 2: Whatever. And different states have different.
Speaker 1: Caps because I want to say this convenience store.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's usually with a cap.
Speaker 1: Okay, lad just said that. All right. We had some other winners though last night, and a bunch of states, actually robes, Kansas and Texas had two winners of two million dollars. That's awesome, That is awesome. But we had eighteen one million dollar winners last night, and a bunch on a bunch of states, one of them New York, well two of them in New York, neither one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we looked all want anyone in New York, anyone in New York. Yeah, California had two winners, Colorado, Florida, Illinois had two winners, Kansas, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York had two, as you mentioned, Ohio had two, Texas had two, and then West Virginia.
Speaker 2: That's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: So that's why they say, always check those tickets. You know, we talk about the million, all the winners, but to think ninety tickets out there won one hundred grand, anybody would take that.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Two hundred and thirty two tickets out there with fifty grand, anybody would take that.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: But do I think there are about ten million tickets out there that somebody wants on them?
Speaker 3: It makes me want to go out and buy a lottery tickets every week because maybe what if I mean just getting anything like that, you know, ten grand.
Speaker 2: But that's exciting.
Speaker 3: Every time I scratch off, we always give lottery tickets to the kids for Christmas. It's just fun and it's exciting. And if there's a powerball drawing, we will get that too. And nobody has ever. I've never scratch offs, nothing, nothing, but one day. I believe, one day there'll be something, even if it's ten dollars, it'll be something.
Speaker 1: So now this thing resets. It was a record. It had gone forty two consecutive times. I believe without a winner. It goes back to May thirty first, and now it resets at twenty million dollars up for grabs starting on Monday now, so Monday, Wednesday, Saturday are the drawings that we're starting this thing all over. But congrats. Oh, we might or might not let me. I'm trying to remember the rules in these two states. One of them requires that they say who the winners are, and I think the other one doesn't, and I'm getting them mixed up right now. I think, what is it? Missouri? I think protects the anonymity.
Speaker 2: So I've got it.
Speaker 1: I've got it.
Speaker 3: So anonymous lottery stays twenty twenty five, so if you yes, would be the yes to the anonymous. So California, no, you have to have to say it, but Texas you can. So in California you have to say who you are. In Texas you can remain anonymous. Missouri you can remain anonymous.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went back to California again, Missouri in Texas, and then.
Speaker 2: I was trying to say in New York, I was just checking for us.
Speaker 3: Now, New York, you you can't remain anonymous, so if we won, we'd have to say it was us.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure how I usually feel about things like that, and I know people have ways around it, and they put it in trust and some things, but I don't know. I don't think I would ever want anybody to know I would. I don't think I would tell anybody around us that we had won jackpot.
Speaker 3: I don't think that we would escape. I don't think we would be able to, like, because we'd have to register our names if we won.
Speaker 1: Around it. Really, we put it in somebody else's name. Might we really trust? Yeah, we figured it like our daughters.
Speaker 2: No, it's too close.
Speaker 1: Only one of the three of them, do I really trust?
Speaker 2: That's very funny.
Speaker 1: Beans, not one of them.
Speaker 2: That's funny. It's too tempting, too tempting.
Speaker 1: All right, So that was fun We started again. I don't even know where Mega Millions is right now. So congrats to the folks in Missouri, Texas. Maybe we'll find out who they are, maybe we won't, but congrats. This is life changing, really your entire bloodline changing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, congrats to yes, congrats, and thank you by the way for listening to us on this Sunday. I MADEI Robach along with TJ. Holmes, and we will talk to you very soon.