Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists.
Speaker 3: At Comedy Central is America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 4: That's the daily joke with your host, Daisy Line.
Speaker 1: I'm n line me.
Speaker 2: I've got so much to talk about tonight. McDonald's takes diversity off the menu. Facebook tries to friend Maga and uh oh, someone bought Donald Trump a globe. So let's get into it with our continuing coverage of Trump two point zero coming for the White House.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna come.
Speaker 2: When Donald Trump won in November, it was largely on the promise of improving the everyday lives of American people, from fixing inflation after it was already fixed, to fighting the nationwide prime wave that he made up. And today, in a press conference from our lago, Trump announced one of those common sense, kitchen table policies that Americans have been waiting for.
Speaker 3: We're going to be changing the name of the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do that. Why the hell not? We have been so concerned about all the scary things that Trump's going to do. We forgot He's also going to do some really stupid things. I guess Gulf of America does have a ring to it, as in, there was another horrific oil spill in the Gulf of America. But okay, fine, let's rename the Golf. I guess. Now, let's focus on the price of eggs. President ELEC.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump, urging America's northern neighbor to quote merge with the US, saying, many people in Canada love being the fifty first state Canada.
Speaker 3: And the United States. That would really be something. You get rid of that artificially drawn line and you take a look at what that looks like, what.
Speaker 2: That would go all the way from the Arctic down to the Gulf of America. This is this is insane. Canada can't become part of America. That's the country I pretend to be from when I'm traveling abroad. Why does Trump want Canada so much? When he hears that Canadians love pouring gravy on their poutine, he knows they're not talking about putine right. By the way, this isn't the first time he's mentioned this. He's been tweeting about making Canada the fifty first state for months now. SiGe. Now, I'm impressed that he currently knows there are fifty states. But surely Canada is not going to just take this Prime Minister Trudeau, tell him what's up.
Speaker 6: I intend to resign as party leader, as prime minister.
Speaker 2: Goddamn it, goddamn it. Well, welcome to the United States, Canada. Locker rooms are over there, our Wi Fi password is hop TuS sixty nine four twenty, and you pay for healthcare now. But no, Trudeau didn't resign just to make it easier for Trump to take over Canada. The fact is he resigned because he's very unpopular now and if he ran again, he'd have to face this guy, Pierre Pouliev. He's the leader of the Conservative Party and based on this interview, he's a pretty intimidating dude on the on the topic.
Speaker 4: I mean, in terms of your sort of strategy currently, you're obviously taking the populist pathway. What does that mean, well, appealing, appealing to people's more emotional levels, I would guess, I mean, certainly, certainly, certainly, you tap a lot of people would would say that you're simply taking a page out of the Donald Trump uh like which people would say that, well, I'm sure a great many Canadians. But like who, I don't know who.
Speaker 7: But you're the one who asked the question, so yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Much know somebody.
Speaker 2: God damn, that's a power move. I haven't seen someone dominated like this since I watch Baby Girl. Tell you what America is not getting Canada from him. Get on your knees. You're our province now, good girl. But back to Donald Trump, who is now demanding to rename the Gulf of Mexico and take over Canada. Not to mention, a couple of weeks ago, Trump expressed interest in taking over the Panama Canal because why stop it just controlling birth canals. But that's it, right, that's it. Now we can get back to the price of eggs.
Speaker 3: Well, we need Greenland for national security purposes. People really don't even know if Denmark has an illegal right to it, but if they do, they should give it up because we need it for national security.
Speaker 2: Of course we do, of course we do. Greenland is vital for our national security. It's the only way to stop Santa Claus from waltzing on down from the North Pole and our wives. And if you're wondering, wait, Trump keeps saying America is broke. How is he going to pay for Greenland. Oh, he's not.
Speaker 8: Donald Trump said he might use military force to take control of the Panama Canal and Greenland.
Speaker 9: Can you assure the world that as you try to get control of these areas, you are not going to use military or economic coores.
Speaker 3: No, I can't assure you on either of those two.
Speaker 10: What.
Speaker 2: He just got elected and he's going to invade Greenland. Look, I am no war expert. I'll leave decisions regarding our military to alcoholic Fox News hosts, but I am almost certain invading Greenland is insane. Insane At the very least, it would be nice to have heard about this during the campaign. I mean, you had time to tell a ten minute story about Arnold Palmer shower Penis, but now one story about bombing Greenland. That would have been good to know. For more on Trump's efforts to expand America's borders, we go live to Jordan Klepper. Jordan, what's going on?
Speaker 11: Oh, I'll tell you what's going on. Colonialism is back, baby. The world is full of distant lands we can plunder and rename after America. Well, get zinc from Greenland, or should I say America lend We'll get rubber from Cambodia, which is probably over here somewhere now America, and we'll get our sugar from South America, or as I like to call it, America America.
Speaker 2: Jordan, it's twenty twenty five, Why would we bring colonialism back?
Speaker 11: Come on, Daisy, The fancy hats alone are enough reason.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I hate to break it to you, but that hat looks stupid. The hat does not look stupid. You look stupid without a hat.
Speaker 12: And besides, besides, America was at its finest when it was expanding, manifest destiny, the Louisiana purchase, the Oregon Trail, the California Pizza Kitchen. You know, it was so great for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it won't be great for the countries we colonize.
Speaker 11: Why not think about all the gifts America has to offer a place like Canada, roads, sanitation, syphilis.
Speaker 2: Canada already has all those things.
Speaker 11: They don't have my syphilis.
Speaker 2: What if the Canadians resist?
Speaker 11: That's the Canadians. Don't make me laugh, the breastplate, change my nipples.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Jordan, superpowers have a habit of suffering defeats and harsh climates. Name one Napoleon in Russia. Name two Hitler in Russia. Name three the British in Afghanistan. Name four, the Soviets in Afghanistan. Name five, the Americans in Afghanistan. Name six Americans in Vietnam. You're my hat, Jordan, clever, everyone, we may.
Speaker 10: Come back and find out what Milania is in silence.
Speaker 2: Show the second Trump term just weeks away. Everyone's preparing in their own way. For example, I'm getting six IUDs spring it sperm. But knowing how much Trump lies, it's more important than ever for everyone to rededicate themselves to the pursuit of truth.
Speaker 6: Facebook announced it is getting rid of fact checkers, or that.
Speaker 2: I guess you could just live your truth. It's right, Facebook is ending fact checking, as Mark Zuckerberg announced apparently while entering his gen z era.
Speaker 6: The recent elections also feel like a cultural ticking point towards once again prioritizing speech. Fact Checkers have just been too politically biased and have destroyed more trust than they've created, especially.
Speaker 5: In the US.
Speaker 2: Okay, first of all, is this just what Mark Zuckerberg looks like?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 2: I guess someone got the Kendrick Lamar album for Hanukah? What is going on here. This is the worst fashion a white guy has tried to pull off since Oh, I guess two days ago. I gotta say, though, saying we realized relying on facts was discriminating against our Republican users is kind of a big dis to conservatives. It's like saying, sorry, our new skid mark policy was singling out greg All underwear stains are welcome. But Facebook isn't the only corporation that's trying to get on Trump's good side, even one that you would assume he's already cool with.
Speaker 5: McDonald's is the latest major company to roll back some of its diversity, equity and inclusion practices. The Golden Arches is not abandoning all diversity initiatives, but says it will retire specific goals, ending a supply chain, DEI pledge, pausing participation in surveys from external groups, and no longer setting what it calls representation targets.
Speaker 2: All right, this is disappointing coming from such a diverse company. They have a clown in x con, people with hamburger heads, and of course the pan sexual purple blob. And the thing is that McDonald's doesn't need to do this They are literally the one company that Trump will never get mad at. They could name a dipping sauce in honor of Hunter Biden and Trump would still be nuggets deep in that shit. Nuggets deep. But to everyone out there who cares about diversity and fast food, don't worry. To balance things out, five guys is now five guys and a queer Latino woman. So maybe no corporation is bending the need to Trump as hard as Amazon. They've got a very special plan to win over the incoming president, and it's called Happy Wife, Happy Life.
Speaker 8: Amazon Prime announced a new documentary on the incoming and former First Lady Milania Trump. Rime video will be giving a rare and behind the scenes looked at one of President elect Trump's most trusted but also notoriously guarded advisors.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, most trusted advisor. Did CNN also fire their fact checkers? What is she advising him on? Exactly? I advise you not to touch me. Now. Amazon is apparently paying forty million dollars just for the rights to this movie, and maybe you're thinking, well, this sounds like a way to line under money to the Trumps. Uh huh, But what director would want to attach their name to a project like this.
Speaker 8: It will be directed by Brett Ratner, which is the filmmaker's first major project since twenty seventeen. You might recall he was accused of sexual misconduct by numerous women and has denied those allegations.
Speaker 2: Accused of sexual misconduct, Does Donald Trump know he wasn't convicted, because that might be a deal breaker. I'll tell you, Amazon is really committed to this. Based on this new ad that we definitely did not make up, This Milania documentary is only the beginning.
Speaker 10: Coming this spring, Amazon is proud to announce its new unbiased documentary Milania, the Greatest, Firstest Lady, from legendary and totally innocent director Brett Ratner. Milania will provide an in depth look at this bewitching role model, but that's not at all. Stay tuned for many more objective documentaries like Don Junior, The Genius Sex God whose Penis Is Fantastic, directed by Jared Boegel, Eric Trump, The New Leonardo da Vinci directed by Harvey Weinstein and JD. Vance, The Man Whose Parts Should Be Sold as Cologne Executive produced by Jeffrey Epstein's Plane and featuring an original song by r Kelly Diddy, Kevin Spacey, and pepe Le Pew. We know you'll give these titles a hashtag me too thumbs up. That's why they'll be automatically downloaded to your account and cannot be erased Amazon Prime Video. It's not propaganda, it's Prime.
Speaker 2: Let me come back to director a Baby Girl. We'll be joining me on the show with no moment.
Speaker 7: My good Lie is the writer and director.
Speaker 2: His new film is called Baby Girl. Please welcome Helena Rain. Congratulations on the film. It opened Christmas Day. Yes, it's a wonderful life for horny women everywhere. It's a beautiful film. I got to go see a screening last month, and you were there. You introduced the movie, and you introduced the movie with a question. You said, every good story starts with a question, and this film's question is can you love even the most shameful parts of yourself? How did you go?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: First of all, as someone who's binge watched eleven seasons of Real Housewives of New York, I can answer that for you. It's yes, yes you can, Yes you can. But how did you go from asking yourself that question to building this beautiful, vulnerable, raw story.
Speaker 1: Well, I knew.
Speaker 7: Also, I wanted to make something about my sort of quest. I always want to be normal, That's my whole thing. There's a sentence in the movie Aline that Nico Kate mince As to her husband Antonio Bandera.
Speaker 1: She goes, I just want to be normal. I want to be the woman you like. I want to be what you like.
Speaker 7: And so my movie is sort of a letter to myself to kind of encourage myself to become more unapologetically my authentic self without shame.
Speaker 1: God. It's very important. I also wanted it to be funny.
Speaker 7: I really wanted it to be funny, because I think humor is what connects all of us. And I just yeah, agreed, yeah, And I just thought I wanted to make a big American movie. You know, I come from Amsterdam, from a very small country, and so I didn't just want to make like a small movie about female desire. I wanted to make a big, fun movie. And I think because of my great actors, we hopefully succeeded.
Speaker 2: Oh you did. You absolutely fulfilled that desire to make it. There were laugh out loud moments. It was fascinating, it was exciting, it was tense, Nicole Kidman stars in this movie, The Legendary. I love the way that you played with humor. You say that this film was that it was marketed as a psychological, erotic thriller, but that you call it a comedy of manners.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do.
Speaker 7: I mean I also think we played with the thriller tropes. And I love the sexual thrillers of the nineties, Fatal Attraction on Faithful, Basic Instinct, name it. I love all of them nine and a half weeks. They just all all tended to sort of punish the lead would be the cheater or the woman, the fum fatale, and I don't like to punish my characters. I just really loved to be human about them and really show that we all are angels and devils. We all have a dark side, and if we accept the dark side, and if we dare to look at it, we can actually sort of like befriended, but if we suppress it. And in that sense, my movie is a little bit of cautionary tale, if you will, of what happens when you suppress that side of yourself. And so that's really what I set out to do. So the thriller aspect is definitely there, but then in the second half of it, we kind of take it more into a human level so that hopefully people can relate to it.
Speaker 2: I love the way that you played with that trope because I loved those movies from the nineties too, But no one's ever done it from the female perspective, and so you're really subverting expectations, which you do often. Your movie Bodies Bodies Bodies also plays with the genre of the horror film. Yes, but you subvert expectations and that it's something that is what you you look to seek out to do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just think I want to create my own genre. So I don't really look at like, oh, I should trap myself in one. I just feel like I can mix it up. And I'm really looking again, like and I'm talking to myself because it's really hard to do, but I'm looking for my own uniqueness in that. And I think that is how I can connect to others. So the more I can be my authentic self within what I do, within what I make, I feel that I can connect to others more. And so my style is to go from horror like Bodies Bodies Bodies and then make it in the end.
Speaker 1: There's no killer in bodies. You know, everybody dies, but they.
Speaker 2: Just start clean smaller. Sorry for another The watch, Still worth the watch, Still worth the watch. You were an internationally celebrated actress before you became a director, well.
Speaker 7: Internationally celebrated. Yes, okay, mainly in the Medolands.
Speaker 5: Go with it.
Speaker 2: That is your authentic self. Yes, that is my authentic pre Okay, you were. And I'm curious how you use your experience as an actress to direct your actors.
Speaker 7: Yes, no, I think having been an actress, my full priority is always to make actress feel safe and of course physically with the intimacy scenes and all of that, but also emotionally. I think for actress it's very hard sometimes to play these emotional embarrassing scenes. And because I know how vulnerable this profession is, I think I can really be at their level instead of like sitting on a high chair with the north faced jacket, eating pizza and say.
Speaker 1: And crawl around cry undressed like that's how I often experienced when I was doing movies.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's how our director works here, Oh me do wherezy?
Speaker 10: That's a lie, that's not true.
Speaker 2: David Ballmeyer, who is nominated for two DDA Awards today, so.
Speaker 7: But so and Also I was mainly a stage actress, so I played Shakespeare, An Ibsen and Chekhov. And because we used to play those plays, not just a week or a cop of weeks, but our runs were like for years. So I lived inside these places and these characters lived inside of me, and I think that's what taught me writing, and so everything that I do really comes from that and my collaborative nature. Also, I was raised by radical hippies in the Netherlands, so I love to collaborate with my actors instead of, you know, doing this kind of pyramid hierarchy. For me, it's all doing it together and making everybody also the crew very very important, make everybody feel involved.
Speaker 2: When we spoke at your screening, you said you would get down on the floor and sit with them and show them that this is safe to do, Like you would kind of do some of the physicality so that they felt comfortable.
Speaker 7: Yes, and Nicole also developed this habit, and she's very open about it.
Speaker 1: Of asking me, she would be like, you do it first for her, Yeah, So we would act, Yeah, we would act together a little bit.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: I love rehearsing individually. So rehearsing in a group can be incredibly embarrassing. As you know, you're an actress as well, so it's all embarrassing.
Speaker 1: It's all embarrassing. It's life is embarrassing. Bus embrace it.
Speaker 7: No, we love to do these individual rehearsals, rehearsals and then I would, yeah, I would ex out all the different parts with them, and they really love that. It's playful and you kind of like playfully get into it instead of like immediately having this pressure on you and feeling the directors over there and you're over here and you're struggling.
Speaker 1: So I just like to be with them in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wish more directors works like you, really like Hollywood needs more directors like you and sorry less like Brett Ratner. I really enjoyed that these two characters, it wasn't just romy who had her own journey, who had her own path. She was looking to accept these sort of shameful parts of herself, while the character of Samuel was also trying to navigate something in his world. How how to be a man in today's society? What does masculinity look like? What does can scent look like, were these all things that you were plotting out in the story or did they develop later as she started with her saying.
Speaker 7: No, absolutely, I wanted to make a comedy of manners again about power and consent. Sexuality and femininity, of course is my priority. You know, I am a woman, so I write from the female gates. I do anything from the female gates. But the movie is just as much about masculinity. So what you're saying is we're not showing a classical story about a SOB and a dom at all. They are both vulnerable, they are both interested in what is power, what is surrender? What is giving up control? What is taking control? And he is they're both really in a crisis. She's in a full on midlife crisis, you know, where she sees, okay, the horizon is over there?
Speaker 1: What am I doing? Where am I going?
Speaker 7: And she thinks she can be this perfect creature if she does enough, you know, ice baths and boatdogs and therapy, she can become a perfect woman. And she has to accept through meeting Samuel that she has to connect to her inner beasts. But him as well, he's in a crisis in the sense that he's taking his first steps into the world as a man, and he doesn't know how to behave He doesn't know how to be around power, or how to be around an older woman. And I wanted to show that vulnerability. And I think sexuality, to me, it can sometimes be very hot, of course, but it can also be very vulnerable and weird and clunky and uncomfortable. And I wanted to show all of that because I think when you see that, you kind of relate to it, and then in the end, when it does work, then it becomes way more sexy than if you just show this perfect Hollywood fairy tale.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to do that.
Speaker 2: Yes, speaking of sexuality, one of the sexier scenes in the movie involved a full glass of milk. Now, Nicole Kidman was brave enough to bear it all in this movie, but I think that the bravest thing that she did was guzzle a glass of milk on camera. She drinks the whole thing. This was inspired from something that actually happened to you.
Speaker 7: Yes, So I was playing at a gabbler one night in Antwerp, and after that show, because it's a huge role and I had so much adrenaline, I didn't want to go to bed and all my colleagues were boring and they went to the hotel, and so I went along to this cafe, as we say in the Netherlands, to this bar, and I sat there and I ordered a diet coke or something, a non alcoholic called cafes cafe. Yeah, we say you go to a cafe.
Speaker 2: I'm going to start using that. Oh honey, No, I'm just going to go to the cafe. I'm going to need work and go to the cafe. I'll be right back.
Speaker 7: So I was sitting in this cafe ordering my diet coke and you know, just couldn't sleep. So and then this young man was sitting on the other end of the bar. He was a young actor that I knew off but I had never spoken to. And suddenly the waiter put a glass of milk, full milk in front of me, and I was like what, And then he pointed at this young man, and I thought it was so incredibly courageous. I thought it was so bulgy to do that, and so I just as a reward, I drank the whole thing.
Speaker 1: It did make me, It did make me nauseate. It it felt yes, yet nauseous.
Speaker 7: Yeah, as it would in the movie, of course, Harris then walks out of the bar. Hears day Conston Blase Samuel. He walks out of the bar, and then he says in her ear, good girl once.
Speaker 2: I remember quite well.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, this young Belgium excert did not do that. He just walked up.
Speaker 2: Well, if he's watching now, that's uh.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe we can change that.
Speaker 2: We'll rewrite history. One more question. I just have to ask you for some advice. We have a new group of interns starting today. Do you have any advice for them?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I'm not gonna go there with you, no advice, not with hr watching. Congratulations, Congla, thank you, so happy for you, Thank you for the baby.
Speaker 2: Girl is in theater, Pasian Mine, Melina Ray. We're gonna take a quick break. You will be right back after.
Speaker 11: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The.
Speaker 6: Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 11: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus.
Speaker 1: Paramount Podcasts