Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not?
Speaker 2: And who says?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. Hello, my friends, I hope you're having a beautiful week. I am recording this from Tucson, Arizona. I met Kenyon Ranch for a three day respit. I am getting massages and relaxing and trying to recover. I know you can probably hear in my voice that I'm still a little under the weather. And then I've had a straight to New York for Tribeca. So next week I'll keep you posted on how all of that was. Last time I was there, I got to interview Robert de Niro, which was spontaneous and so fun. He started Tribeca. He co founded it, which is a fun fact I didn't know years ago when I started going. Okay, I want to jump into today's episode because it well, it blew my mind. My therapist said something to me recently that I have not been able to stop thinking about. She said, Danielle, you are not the problem. You just want to date like a man in a society where you're a woman.
Speaker 2: Stay with me.
Speaker 1: You all know I'm obsessed with my work, and I've always been obsessed with my time. I guard my calendar like it's Fort Knox. I travel constantly, I disappear into projects, and.
Speaker 2: I want a big career. I want to build things.
Speaker 1: I want autonomy, I want purpose, and I also want to be married with kids. And every once in a while I find myself thinking, oh my god, I'd make a great husband. And not because those are male qualities.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 1: But historically, the person who got to organize their life around ambition and independence was usually the man. Someone else was often absorbing the invisible work, the scheduling, the remembering, the emotional labor, the listening, the birthday gifts, the childcare, the grocery list, the doctor's appointments, the making life actually work.
Speaker 2: I don't have to list it off.
Speaker 1: I know every single person listening knows what I'm talking about, and That's where today's conversation begins, because one of the biggest lies that women have been sold is that equality happened, that it already happened. We entered the workforce, we got degrees, we started companies, some of us became breadwinners. But at home, the social contract didn't evolve nearly as fast. Women still perform trillions of dollars worth of unpaid labor every year. And I know, unpaid labor sounds like one of those buzzy academic phrases, and everybody sort of like nods along without really understanding, or at least I do, But I want to make it tangible.
Speaker 2: Most studies suggest.
Speaker 1: That men enjoy nearly four hundred more hours of leisure time every year than a woman. That's ten extra forty hour work weeks ten weeks. Imagine someone handed you ten additional weeks of your life every year.
Speaker 2: What would you do with them?
Speaker 1: Build a business, write a book, sleep, exercise, knit, stare into space. I mean, lots of us aren't even imagining what we would do with those hours because many women are already spending them. We're just spending them on care, which means many women aren't working one job they're working two, three, or four and they're trying to do all of them exceptionally well. But what changes this dynamic, Well, if you're married a true partner.
Speaker 3: You're not just shopping for sexy, because sexy is going to wear off when you're cleaning his toothpaste off bathroom sink, like he's not going to be sexy in the same way anymore. And what's going to be sexy is somebody lightening your load so that you can be a full person.
Speaker 1: And that's where our guest today comes in. Karin Low is an economist, professor, and author whose work explores what she calls the economics of being a woman. Her book Having It All, What Data tells Us about Women's lives and Getting the Most out of Yours reveals something that many women feel every day but really struggle to explain. We're doing more than ever before, and yet somehow still feel like we're falling behind. Karin says, it's the trap.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, your marriage cannot be happy if both people are not self actualized, because if somebody doesn't feel like this partnership supports them and becoming the person that they want to be, then ultimately it is really hard to sustain that love and affection to that person who's actually kind of become the headwind or the forest that's holding you back.
Speaker 1: My mind was blown when she said that, because we've had conversations about invisible labor on the pod before, and I always feel really connected to them, but also like it's a bunch of data where it can feel man hatary or anti marriage or complaining, and I don't want it to be any of that. And Karin put into words what I've been searching for. It's really about being able to become. And whether you agree with her or not, our conversation today centers on a question that I think only you can answer for you. What does becoming and having it all look like for you? And what are you willing to trade for it? Because every life has a series of trades, and sometimes, whether we realize it or not, women are making trades inside a social contract.
Speaker 2: That we never actually agreed to.
Speaker 1: So today we are talking about the economics of being a woman. It's time to question everything with carinla Courin.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy to have you here today.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, can't wait to dive in with you.
Speaker 1: Well, you and your work really embody the idea of questioning everything. You're turning so many of our societal norms on its head, and you're using economics to do it. And I became particularly interested in this book because you and I met at a Gloria steinem event. But I threw a separate event with this woman, Susie Welch, who's a professor at NYU, and you know her.
Speaker 2: She has this class by Becoming You.
Speaker 1: So I love the class so much that Susie and I threw an event together for a bunch of New York influencers to experience. It was one day and there was probably ninety people there. And one of the questions that Susie asks is sort of a pun or a play on whose line is it anyways?
Speaker 2: And it's whose life do you want? Anyways?
Speaker 1: And you pick people whose lives look interesting to you, and you have two columns you say, here's what I like about their life and here's what I don't I don't find interesting or want about their lives. So, just for an example, I said Hillary Clinton as one of mine, and I said, you know, she was a question asker, a culture changer. She pushed for change with her intellect, she wanted to spread good ideas, And then in the column of what I didn't want was like, I don't want to marry a politician. I don't want scandal if I can help it, you know. So I have a whole list of what I do like and what I don't like. And out of the ninety women there, who were all ages, all races, all ethnicities, all religions, I would say seventy five of them had Emma Greed's name written down on whose life they wanted.
Speaker 2: Oh and here's what I found so interesting.
Speaker 1: The reason that they had Emma Greed's name was an assortment of reasons. Some people said, she has this big career or a husband or kids, but ultimately it.
Speaker 2: Came down to she had it all.
Speaker 1: She had the big career and a husband who she seemingly loves, and children, and she looks glam doing it, and she has a nice house with art on her walls, and she's traveling and seemingly healthy and has friends, etc. And your work indicates that having it all is basically a trap.
Speaker 2: So I have to dig into it with you.
Speaker 1: Before you wrote this book, were you striving to have it all?
Speaker 3: I mean absolutely, I was striving for a life it didn't have trade offs because I didn't think when I looked to my male colleagues or when I looked to successful people, and I didn't think of myself just as a woman. I thought of myself as someone who could be successful in my own terms, and I didn't see that you had to have these intense trade offs, you know, between investments in your career, investments and family. So I wanted a life where I got to go shopping in the grocery store for the career that I wanted, a family life. I wanted the relationship that I wanted, right, And I think one of the things that really like in the case of Emma Grade's life, really masks a lot of those trade offs is a tremendous amount of wealth. And you know that wealth like can lessen some of those feelings of trade offfs some of those feelings of like the squeeze, right that I talk about in my work about how we often feel squeezed and that we can't put time into everything that we want. So, yes, I think that that's really interesting because I absolutely think that that's something that she's been projecting, is that there don't have to be trade offs. Like when she goes around on interviews, she's saying, well, women just can't sit in their living rooms. They've got to get out to the office, and you know, they've got to just work harder to be successful. And then you can be like me. And it's like, but we can't, Emma, because people are struggling to afford childcare. You know, people maybe like need to be spending that amount of time with their kids, and you know, they are facing these trade offs they don't maybe have the support of a partner. And then she's also you know, I've been going by about this three hour parent thing, saying, you know, she only wants to spend three hours with her kids on the weekends. And there is a place where you know, I always caution to people that you have to understand the values behind the life that somebody is living. And so for me, that's not consistent with my values, like I want to spend a lot of time with my kids. I want to spend much more than three hours with them on the weekend, and that is going to create trade offs in other areas of my life. That that is time. Time is a limited asset, the same as money. I can only invest in so many places, and so if I'm making that choice that that's time that I value, then I'm not spending my time budget someplace else. So I think she really is going on this press tour that's saying there doesn't have to be trade offs, and so I'm not surprised that it's aspirational. But I love your answer, Hillary Clinton, because I think basing that aspiration around someone who's beautiful and rich and everything feels seamless and without trade offs is like continuing to sell that lie to women and ultimately making it harder for us to have our version of it all.
Speaker 1: You know where I get stuck, and I think so many women get stuck based on that room that I was in, was I know it's a trap, Like I totally recognize that it's a trap, and I still want it all.
Speaker 3: But what you want is to be happy, right yeah, because I do, Like, for example, my life doesn't look anything like Emma Greeds, right this idea, and Emma Greed's life does not look anything like Emma Greed's. Okay, her real life behind the camera is not on Instagram, does not look anything like what you see. And so first let's start there. Anytime you're comparing your whole, messy reality to somebody else's highlights, right, you're gonna feel this dissonance of like, well, I just wish I was in cute outfits all the time. It's like she's not in Q outfits all the time. Right places in her house where there's a mess, or there's a housekeeper who she's able to afford full time who just cleaned it up, and her and her husband fight, right, and some times her kids have meltdowns, and none of that is on the GRAM. But totally, my life doesn't look anything like Emma Greeds. I'm not effortlessly perfectly rich, thin, glamorous. I constantly feel like my house is too messy. I'm like struggling so hard to like me and my wife together, trying to like landscape our backyard, and it just is like such a like and I'm sure like she would snap her fingers and like somebody would be there and it would already be done right, So like, my life doesn't look anything like Emmagreeds. And my life is rich and happy and full with a career that I love where I get to do work that I feel like is really high impact with kids that I get to spend time with and raise the way that I want to with a partner who I love and have a great relationship with, which is all hard one. If you read the book, it's like, how did we get here? It's like a very long journey, right, Yes, But I think for your life to be happy and full and for you to have that like it all of like a successful career and a successful family life, it still doesn't have to look like Greeds and I just totally by holding ourselves up to that standard, we're offering our own unhappiness. In the same way that I think all of this stuff that we're chasing of again really wealth, like the consumer goods. It's like that I've got to have her wardrobe and handbags and my house has to look like that. Like all of that is eating away at the joy that we can experience from like the real life that's right in front of us.
Speaker 1: So I want to go backwards because you mentioned that you have this beautiful life built on the values that you hold true, but you didn't always have that. You start the book in the bathroom of an Amtrak train, pumping, crying and realizing that you won't make it home in time to put your son to bed, and you have sort of like a version of an adult meltdown.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, so can you tell me about that?
Speaker 3: Yes, So I told you I had dreamed of this life for myself that didn't have these trade offs, and I just found this idea deeply unfair and I still do find it deeply on But like you know, I was the twelve year old feminist who was signing petitions to say that girls and boys shouldn't be treated differently, and so, in my view, like I was going to have the career that I wanted, and I didn't really think about how a partnership intersected and a marriage intersected with that. I just kind of took each decision as it came. It was like this guy's nice, and I married him, and you know that was like, okay, and now I kind of want a baby. Let's have a baby, and we'll make it work because our lives are working so far. And you know, I say gave birth to my son, and I gave birth to a midlife crisis because everything that was working, which was me commuting from New York City to Philadelphia for my job and being on the tenure track at Wharton, which means you have to publish a certain number of papers before you come up for this tenure review or you literally get fired, right you have to find a new job. So all of that stuff that was working and my marriage stopped working, and I felt like I was falling behind my male colleagues at work. I felt like my home life didn't look anything like what I wanted it to look like. It wasn't effortless, it wasn't perfect. We were, you know, struggling for money because we both had good jobs at the time. He later left his job, adding to the strain. But even when we both had good jobs, you know, we were in New York City where you know, you're constantly kind of struggling to keep up with the joneses. Yeah, and just the basic cost of living. But what does it cost to have an apartment and to have you know, childcare and all of those things. And I was surprised by my when I talk with those values, like I, as this staunch feminist, never thought I would be the mom crying because I'm not going to make it home to bedtime. I never thought I would be the mom pumping on the Amtrak bathroom because I was that committed to breastfeeding and to making that work even after going back to work, and I had to go back to teaching classes like a couple months after my son was born, because of course, we don't have real family life in America, right, So I just never thought that that was going to be me. I never thought those trade offs were going to be so big, And then I felt all of them kind of crushing down upon me at the same time, and I started to question everything, maybe more so than some other people, you know, using the tools of my discipline, saying why is this so unfair? Why is this not adding up for me? And I started looking at women's time use and finding that as women were taking on more at work, men weren't taking on more at home, and so there was kind of like no place for you know, there's no pressure release valve on everything that we were kind of adding to our lives. We were just trying to do more, and parenting had become much more intensive from the time when I was a kid, when, like I joke, my bedtime routine was go to bed. It was like there wasn't this like elaborate ritual of every part of parenting, so you're expected to be there for your kid more than ever. Working moms today spend more time with our kids then stay at home moms a generation ago. You're expected to be there more than ever.
Speaker 1: So working moms today spend more time with their kids now than stay at home moms did in the seventies.
Speaker 3: Yes, wow, yeah. And so when you're feeling like it doesn't add up and you're like, but wait, even if you had a working mom, you're like, but my mom was a working mom. She made it work. Am I just a failure? No, Like what it all is has changed and it's just misfailing and it's become really unsustainable. So my questioning everything included my marriage and I ultimately ended up getting divorced, moving to Philadelphia, eventually getting remarried to a woman because by part of how I decided I was going to make it all that up was get those gender roles out of my life, of this expectation that I was going to do more just because I was the female partner.
Speaker 1: And wait, Kurin, were you bisexual or lesbian before this or did you marry a domestic partner?
Speaker 3: So I I was identified as not I was not queer because I think I sort of defaulted into heterosexuality because we don't question enough things in our life, right, I think I sort of had defaulted to be pterosexual. And like I said, I had crushes on boys, assumed that I liked men, and then gradually, like over the course of my marriage, I think the unfairness of the gender roles actually started to impact my attraction. And so when I had this like that people talk about, you know, when you know your marriage is over, it's like when you start really thinking about like life after marriage, you start thinking about other people. Right, all of my crushes were on women, Like I could not picture being attracted to a man like it was just that it was dead to me. So like I guess I was always a little bit in the middle of the spectrum, but kind of pushed more to one side by that experience. So once I got separated, I only dated women. And yes, no, my wife and I are very much in love have a full relationship. But that's what If you were asking if it's like every like you know, just like co parents and friends.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I didn't know if you were in a romantic partnership or if you like based on the analysis of your time, decided Okay, I'm gonna be in a domestic partnership.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, So I will say that, I mean was conveniently, but it's actually attracted, right, because I think I've heard a lot of women say like, oh my god, I wish I could do that, which, let me just say, ladies, like at least go on a date with a woman at some point in your life, like as part of this like you know, idea of like upending the defaults. We fall into these defaults too much, and it's like, why not, why not try that and see you know, and I never did until after I got divorced. But yeah, that was, albeit, I admit, an extreme solution and one that's not available to everybody.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what's funny about that Current is a friend of mine heard you speak in person at she works at the Milinda.
Speaker 3: Gates at Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, And so she texted me after because she knew we had met at the Gloria event and she was like, Current showed us a bunch of charts and research that she'd done and basically the economic impacts on a hetero sexual relationship, a gay and lesbian relationship and she was like, it made.
Speaker 2: Me think I should be with a woman.
Speaker 1: So the stats are actually quite convincing, I would say, But I think what is so moving about the way you write that first chapter is that there's so much grief there, and there's so much what's the word burnout that you feel when you're writing it. That's a very relatable. But be what I think was so interesting is you decided this wasn't a scheduling issue, because I think a lot of people would think it was. How did you decide this was more than a scheduling issue?
Speaker 3: Well, I think my first instinct was to try to make those like little tweaks and corrections and try to be like, Okay, let me make a chart and like you're going to do this stuff, and I'm going to do this stuff, or you know, try to correct those things. And it was only after a lot of trying to make it work and make those corrections that I realized that there was something more fundamentally amiss. And I am not at all saying that, like know, hoterosexual marriage can work, but I think what I found is that ultimately my acts who you know, I co parent my son with and he's a great co parent now that we're divorced. But he wasn't willing to reconsider his gender role within the marriage, and that wasn't going to work for me as somebody who was in some ways violating gender roles by having a big career, being on the tenure track at Wharton, being the breadwinner. And at that point, by the time I finally left my marriage, I was the sole breadwinner, so my you know, paycheck was covering all of our bills. And he really wasn't willing to reconsider his role, and so ultimately that didn't leave space for the adjustments that needed to be made. And that's not going to be everybody's reality. And I think there's a lot of men who would, you know, maybe things aren't working right now. And statistically, for a lot of women, the division of housework it is unfair and a lot of hetero sexual relationships. But I think there's a lot of men that can like get on board with having that conversation and trying to go deep on themselves and question their own gender role in the relationship.
Speaker 1: So there was an alarming statistic in your book about women who are breadwinners, and you say that the imbalance is not naturally curing. We have to do something at it. But will you share what that statistic is?
Speaker 3: Yes? So I think this is when we met at this event, right, Eve Rovsky has all of this work on the imbalance and how much more women are doing. And Eve was like, I can say that like this is imbalance, but like there's always going to be somebody who's going to say, well, like it makes sense because he earns more money, so she's doing more with the kids, or she's doing more at home. Right, And the key thing with my research is that I show that even women, women are the breadwinner, they still do dramatically more, dramatically more, And so I can look at couples and their division of earnings and I can go from you know, he earns eighty percent of the household income, and that's when you're going to be like, you know, the man's planner is gonna be like, it makes sense that she's doing more. He's earning eighty percent of the household income. He's doing about this much housework. And then I can go, okay, here in seventy sixty fifty forty thirty twenty percent literally the amount of housework he does at home doesn't change. He does the same amount of housework no matter how much he's earning, what percent of the household income he's earning.
Speaker 1: So in the book, you say that women who are the primary breadwinners do almost twice as much cooking and cleaning as their male spouses. And I've seen other studies about how even if men are laid off, they don't do the dishes, they don't pick up more housework generally, so there's a huge imbalance.
Speaker 3: Yes, so often if men are laid off, we see them do more childcare. It might be easier to kind of lean into that role of dad. But then it's the housework. It's the routine, on glamorous work of keeping a household, you know, cooking and cleaning that we see, you know, women still hold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: You talk about women's time constraints throughout the book too, and you say that they're just fundamentally different than men's.
Speaker 2: There's no amount of leaning in that can fix this.
Speaker 1: I do want to talk to you about lean in after, but tell me about some of the time constraints and the economic differences between being a man and being a woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I charted this. This is part of the research that I did for the book was looking at time use across the life cycle, and I literally made a graph that was women's minutes per day minus men's minutes per day. Okay, so how much more time are women spending than men on four categories housework, childcare, work, and leisure. And this graph shows that over the life cycle, women are spending way more time on housework and childcare, and it peaks during this period of called the squeeze when your kids are young and they're spending way less time on work and leisure. So then, if you picture a woman who's an executive, that female breadwinner, right, if you have a man in her position, that man probably has a stay at home wife. And if he has somebody whose career is a second priority and she's doing the majority of the household work. If you have a woman who's a female executive or high powered career, her husband's career is probably equally important or treated with equal importance in the household, and guaranteed she is doing more at home. And that creates a real imbalance in how we can invest our time at work because on the margins, right, are you going to say yes to the work trip. Are you going to say yes to that you know, extra project that you know has a lot of nights and weekends. Are you going to say yes to that client dinner when you are carrying so much more of that load at home. And that's why we see such a huge wage gap open up between men and women over their careers, and it opens up even for the highest performing women. So another study that I point to that's not my study, but one of the authors on it is Nobel Prize winner Claudia Golden, shows that by twelve years after earning their MBAs, the female ninetieth percentile of earnings is the same level as the men's mean. So the ninetieth percentile of women, which is the top ten percent of women, is earning the same as the average man the mean for men, and that top ten percent of women are the women who are leaning in. And that shows you that individual ambition is not going to solve this for us, that these are really structural constraints.
Speaker 1: I love the way you say individual ambition will not solve this, because there are are always people who feel as if I can outwork this issue, or I'm different, or you know, people just don't work hard enough, Like there's all these excuses that we all make, and it truly is a structural problem, and it's I think it's hurting people more than we think when I would think about equal pay. At one point, I was making sixty thousand dollars less than my male co host at a morning show, and I was so upset, but I knew it going in, and I was like, I want this job, and you know this job is worth more than sixty thousand dollars to me. I'll do it for a year and then we'll see how it goes. And it's not just the sixty grand. It compounds over time, and so we're losing out over millions of dollars in a lifetime, which is millions of dollars not just that you can add to your household or to make your life easier, but also to communities right like to philanthropy to it's just which women actually do.
Speaker 3: I mean you just about like Pivotal Ventures, and I'm thinking about all these amazing female philanthropists, and it's like money being in women's hands filters down differently than money being in men's hands. And then yes, to that other point, we know there's discrimination and so there's a wage gap. And so now imagine right that your male co host goes home and it's like, well, whose career should be the priority? And it's his because he's earning a lot. You go home, right, and there's this discrimination disparity between you and your male co host, and I was like, well, whose career should we invest in more? And it's like, well, you're making less, so maybe you know, the extra hour of time should really go towards you know, this hypothetical partner's career, right, And I think that's some of the times the conversation that's happening in households is that like, she's already hitting a glass ceiling because of discrimination at work, and then she comes home and she can't get that support at home because his career is taking off because those same forces aren't holding him back.
Speaker 1: So Jada Pinkett Smith was on the podcast after she wrote her book Worthy, and one of the most interesting aspects I thought about the book, because it's really interesting to watch it play out on a large scale, is that she had this career that she was pursuing and because they were married and had kids, will Smith was becoming an a list actor and his career was blowing up, and so she took a back seat, and I don't think she ever got over that resentment. Like that was one of my takeaways from that interview, and so similar to what you shared about your own life.
Speaker 2: That resentment starts to build and build.
Speaker 1: I was looking up all the studies say twenty five percent to fifty six percent of divorces stem from chores, and they it's a big gap because they can't totally point.
Speaker 2: To one thing or another.
Speaker 1: But I'm wondering if domestic labor truly was shared, what you think would change in partnership.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you've got to listening to Jada's story, you have to link that chore gap, which sounds so trivial, to a gap in self actualization, because that's what she's really pointing to, right, is that he got to become to become right, and she did like she was like stopped short. She was held back in that process of self actualization, and ultimately, your marriage cannot be happy if both people are not self actualized, right, And that's where you get twenty years down the line and love starts to fade no matter how much attraction you started with because if somebody doesn't feel like this partnership supports them and becoming the person that they want to be, then ultimately it is really hard to sustain that love and affection to that person who's actually kind of become the headwind or the forest that's holding you back.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I got chills when you said that she didn't get to become That is exactly it. And everybody just wants to become who they are meant to be.
Speaker 2: In the world. Wow.
Speaker 1: So you're a mom of two and you're still right in the thick of things, you have two young kids, and you've mentioned the squeeze a few time, But will you sort of define it for everybody because it's a big aspect.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I joke that the research question that started the book is why am I so tired all the time? Because that pumping in the abstract bathroom bad embodies the squeeze. It's where you are trying to make investments in your home life and your career at the same time, and so you just feel like there's not enough of you to go around. And if you don't have generational wealth or you didn't you know, marry a hedge funder or whatever. Right often you feel the financial squeeze too, because you're not at the point in your career where you can just say, well, like, forget it, we'll just like hire three nannies, or we'll just like you know, have the housekeeper do it, or I'm gonna snap my fingers and the garden's gonna be landscaped. So I see that in the data that basically, while time on childcare and housework is at its peak, income is still growing. Your financial investments in your career haven't paid off yet, and so later on you're gonna have more time and you're gonna have more money. But right now you're in this crunch and knowing that I think can help women sort of prepare if you're in the earlier side right of things, and you're not then the squeeze yet and you want to have kids, which if you don't, you know, there's there might be other things that bring you to that crunch period, and career investments can be like that anyway. But if you want to have kids, right thinking about what can I do now that I'm in my twenties, I'm time rich to prepare for that. And one of the things I was just thinking because I give a lot of relationship advice in the book, and one thing is really choosing that partner who is going to support you in becoming who you want to be. And so not just the partner who laughs at your jokes and has good taste in movies right now, right, but the partner who says, like, yes, if one of the kids is sick, I will be the one to stay home because I never want you to feel like you didn't get to achieve what you wanted to achieve. Right. It's not about like lip service to like you know, oh of course women should have careers, right, It's about what are you willing to do? And I tell people there's a list of questions in the book, but I'll give you one of them because it will start a conversation. Is if I got a job offer in another city that was going to increase my salary by half, right, give me a fifty percent raise, but you would have to look for new work. How would we decide whether to move? Well, so, like, if there really is true off because there is, and in the data, we see that couples move for men's jobs and they don't move for women's jobs, right, how did I end up on that train commuting from New York to Philadelphia? Right, So have that conversation and choose the partner who is going to make investments in you and also make investments in yourself. So one of the things I talk about is thinking about your career, your job as a money machine. It's a way to convert your time into money. And you want to spend as much of your effort and time as you can upgrading your money machine before you're in the squeeze, because once you're in the squeeze, time is that much more costly. Right, So what can you do to upgrade your money machine and what can you do to make financially prudent decisions? And that's where I hate the Instagram culture of you know, chasing what the influencers have, because I think it encourages us to put money into places that ultimately are not going to pay off in terms of our happiness. And for a lot of young women, that's getting into a lot of consumer debt to kind of chase that lifestyle, and then when they enter the squeeze, now you don't have some of those you know, financial resources because you're paying a credit card debt you're paying you know Klarna and after pay, which is just consumer debt, right, And so now things that you could have done to make your life easier, like you know, pay for a meal service or pay for somebody to help clean the house, you know that money has been eaten up by these earlier financial decisions and purchases that you make. So it's like thinking about your life across the life cycle and knowing what the data show is kind of being strategic at every turn.
Speaker 1: I'm smiling as you're sharing these because I'm single and dating, and I personally come up against so much of what you talk about in the book when I'm dating. There's one story that I'm going to tell you very quickly, I tell everyone listening. So as a kid, I felt like my time was worth so much, Like I've been obsessed with time my whole life. And my dad would joke with me like, Danielle, your time is literally worth nothing, you know, And he wasn't being rude, but.
Speaker 2: As a kid, he was like, you're not working. It's not worth anything.
Speaker 1: And as I got older, he started being like, Okay, your time's starting to.
Speaker 2: Be worth something.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's worth something now, but I always felt like it was worth something. So fast forward, I'm dating somebody and I have probably the most important interview I've ever had, and I'm in another state, and the interview meant a lot to me. There was a lot on the line. I had a gift for the person that I was interviewing, and the guy I was dating he had like beautiful taste, great aesthetics, And I said, can you please go grab a gift box and a card for this? I need this hour to study. And he was like, I don't know, like what you'll like. I don't want to get the wrong thing. Why don't you just like come with me? And I was like, no, anything you pick is fine. It's not about the tape, Like I need this hour, and He's going back and forth with me, and I got so frustrated. I just said, Okay, let's get in the car and I got the gift box and I didn't have the hour and I was mad the whole day and the whole night, and I needed that hour. Anyways, after the interview, he came by the hotel I was at and said, do you want to like go to dinner? And I was like not really, I'm like so angry, and he was like, let's go to dinner and talk about it. So ultimately he basically says to me, he feels that his time is worth more than mine.
Speaker 2: And that's what it came down to. Once I asked a million questions, Right, it didn't go there right away.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you do this for me? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yes, And that's when he lost me. I just could never get over that.
Speaker 3: Well, I love your story. I love your story because that is actually like why did my marriage end? Because that was what my husband was telling me in all of the choices he was making that even though I was making more money, his time was still worth more than mine. Right, Yes, And I think men are endowed with this sense that their time is important. And kid, you had it right, because as an economist, your time is worth something, whether you're making money with it or not, because your time can be used to make what economists call utility, which is like joy, happiness, fulfillment. Right. So, however you spend your time produces value. It's not just spending it in the labor market. Right. And if you don't have that career you want to have yet, then spending that hour investing and trying to get it even though you're not getting paid for it. Right, that's valuable too, So you are one hundred percent right that your time always had value. And I think you've really put your finger exactly on the thing that I think is holding so many relationships back is that it is an unspoken assumption that his time is always worth more, no matter what.
Speaker 1: And I think it's really covert in a lot of relationships because men can talk a big game, they can say things that are very kind. Of course I don't think that, but take all the words away, Yeah, what are their actions saying? And I love how you say in the book that marriage really hasn't caught up to modern life, Like the real issue for women is time.
Speaker 2: It's not about ambition, you know.
Speaker 1: I guess to link it back to what we talked about with Emma, because I think it's like a good personification of some of these issues is she's saying that like you can fix it as being an individual, but it's not. It's the system, right, Like do you think that when you run a big company the way she does that, like she can change the system, or if she just saying to all of us, like I'm not saying that the game is right, this is just how the game is played.
Speaker 3: Well, I would be interested to hear if she is trying to fix that system for the company that she runs, right, because there are some companies that they worked with where you see that like, oh, a woman is in charge and they're really trying to make this add up. You mentioned, like Pivotal Ventures, And you know, when I went out there for that talk, I brought my wife and my one year old daughter with me because it was my one year old's first birthday. And they were like, well, you obviously can't leave her behind, right. That was clearly part of the values, right, that they were exhibiting in their work. And you know, I think that I don't know that those are the values that Emma is exhibiting. I mean, and who knows if there's a distance between public and personal right, But in her public persona, it's women need to be trying harder, you know, And so is that what the message is to employees? And sometimes you know, you see it where women who had to fight an unfair system to get ahead, then sometimes they are not allies of the women who come after them because they're just like, well, I had to make all these sacrifices, so you should too, And it's like, well, no, none of us should, actually.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: And then I get confused because I'm like, well, why do we expect women to change the strata for not expecting it from men?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but really I just want it from everyone. I want the system to change.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. And if you are in the position of somewhat of power and privilege and you have a microphone, which she does, right, she has an enormous microphone, then you can use that to change because there are other people who are less powerful than you. So yes, even though you as a woman, you know, there's ways in which men are still having power over you. And as a woman of color, right, there's ways in which you know, she is marginalized. There's still Right now, you have a microphone and you can use that to try to break down that system.
Speaker 1: So when you say in the book to optimize for joy and for meaning, how do we do that while realistically optimizing for achievement and finance as well? Because you are still a very ambitious person, how have you personally thought about it all?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the key is and this is where I'll get into this more kind of technical definition of like how do you measure when I said, like my values versus Emmagred's values, like how do you measure that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So kind of must have this idea of your utility function, which is everything that brings you jolly's. It's everything that the end of your life you would give points to. You would say, yes, that was a life well lived. You would look back on and say, I'm glad that I made that decision.
Speaker 2: And does everybody have different utility function?
Speaker 3: Everybody has a different utility function. And so the key lesson if people take one thing for my work and for my book, is to not think of achievement or financial success as ends in themselves, to instead think of those things as vehicles to increase your utility. Whatever you get utility from. So let's take an example where you could be super super successful, right, but you would only get three hours a day with your kids, with doing what you love, with doing hobbies, of reading a book, whatever it is, right, But you would be like amazingly financially successful. I would be like for what, right, Like what is all that money good for? If I can't afford my own time spent? The way that I choose to spend it, right, So I reframe, And I think it's different for women because we have been trained to think to be ambitious and to say like, oh, don't hold yourself back and dream big and all of that. And yes, sure, but I think always ask for what. I reframe a career as, like I said, a vehicle to turn your time into money ultimately to buy happiness, right, And if it's not buying me happiness, then it's not working. So how is whatever my financial goal is, whatever my career goal is, how is it supporting what I ultimately want? So for you interviewing for this job that you were interviewing for example, right, if you get that, it becomes well, oh, I'm going to have a better conversion of my time into money because I could put the same amount of time in get more money back, and then I would be able to, you know, instead of having this, I'd be able to like pursue this other thing I'm interested in, or you know, work on starting the family that I want to start. Right, So it's like, how does that success? How does meeting that milestone? How does it actually help me craft the life that I want to craft? And it's staying laser focused on that instead of just on success for success sake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you make this sharp point about how women used to be the release valve, basically like putting the husband through school while working as secretaries, and you mentioned that your own grandmother did exactly that. And now women are making these big early career investments in themselves. Nobody's releasing the valve for them. That's part of the squeeze, right. And so if marriage is a deal where the data says I'll carry the worst end and kids are the thing that triggers that squeeze, then like a clear eyed woman who actually runs the numbers like you did might rationally.
Speaker 2: Choose me neither.
Speaker 1: And I think that's sort of what we're seeing right now in the data. Right there's a lot of women in their thirties and forties who are not married, not dating, and actually not even looking to That's like what I'm seeing all over my TikTok.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I think we have to be careful to like say, what is like a true what is a true trend versus there's like a of course social media phenomenon or whatever.
Speaker 1: But I do think TikTok is not your economic studies.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I think that we are seeing like more delayed marriage and partnership. We're also seeing a decline in teen births, which is part of what's driving the fertility decline. But I think ultimately there are some women who are saying this deal isn't adding up for me, and I think it's more likely to be women. So if you are a super ambitious woman, but you're still going to actually marry somebody who's like more financially successful than you, that could still add up because like, for example, he could become like somebody who finances whatever your dream is that could support your career right.
Speaker 1: Right, or hire the help that's necessary, rights allowed.
Speaker 3: And I think that's the Emma Gred lifestyle right a little bit. So I think the onom who are funny it's not adding up is the women who are really financially successful themselves, and then they're meeting men who like aren't like stratospherically successful, right, They're just kind of doing okay, but they expect that to be enough because all their lives I've been told all you have to bring to the table is a paycheck, and these men are just doing the bare minimum. They will not go get in god damn gift box, right they've asked them to get because they've always been told like, you're just all you have to do is provide for the family, that's it. And these women are saying, I don't need a paycheck from you. I have my own paycheck. I need a real full partner, right, And so I think they're saying, like, look, this isn't enough, this deal is not working for me anymore. And so my work is not about discouraging people from getting married or having a family. I mean, I personally, I love being a parent and that's such an important part of my utility function. Yeah, and I can't imagine life without having the kids that I have, including you know, marrying the wrong person first, but having an amazing child who I couldn't regret a single moment of that. But I do think if men are lonely, which like we keep hearing about how they are, right, the way to overcome that is for men to figure out, like how do I give women what they need? Right? How do I show up as more of a full partner. And so I think the work is not incumbent upon women to solve the fertility crisis. It's incumbent upon men to figure out, like where are they falling short?
Speaker 2: WHOA I've not heard that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I call it an argument or a thought or perspective, but I've not heard that.
Speaker 2: I think I'm very aligned with it.
Speaker 1: How can they become full partners the way women have had to become full people in every sense of the.
Speaker 3: Word, every domain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been required of us, and we always sort of step up to the plate.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was curious about your thoughts on marriage because like it could be sort of taken that a ambitious woman should go find a traditional nineteen fifties housewife, i e.
Speaker 2: A man who's willing to do all that labor.
Speaker 1: But you're saying that's actually not the answer either, Like we are looking for full partners, and how can we raise boys to become full partners?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think like if you are, like if you're an ambitious woman and you find a guy who is ambitious about being a father and ambitious about taking care of the household, like that could be an amazing match. And there I think there is sometimes you know, I talk about the evolutionary impulses in the book that sometimes lead us astray. Yeah, And I think one of those is that, like our genes are trained to like look for the provider, the hunter who's gonna slay the wooly mammoth for us or whatever, and that might be maladaptive in this world where like what we need is somebody who's going to like want to put together, ikea furniture. I never like, you know, want to like, you know, pack a toddler lunchbox. So I think that women should be more expansive in like what traits they're looking for. And remember that, like you're not just shopping for sexy, because sexy is gonna wear off when you're cleaning his toothpaste off the bathroom sink. Like he's not going to be sexy in the same way anymore. And what's going to be sexy is somebody lightening your load so that you can be a full person.
Speaker 1: Right, so that you can become Yes, yeah, this is it's a little bit of a departure. But I was so fascinated by this one study that you ran that I have to ask you about dating apps. So you every year that a woman ages from thirty to forty, you found that she has to earn seven thousand dollars more to be rated equally desirable on dating apps? Can you explain what's what's beneath that study.
Speaker 3: So I have a more positive take on it, which is what's underneath this study is something that I call reproductive capital, and I wanted to show that reproductive capital was valuable and it's something that women have and men don't have. What do I mean by that? Because you might be like, well, it takes a man and no woman to make a baby. Think about your single girlfriends and think about how real of a possibility it is for them that if they don't find the male partner they're looking for, they could have a baby on their own. Right. And after I got divorced and I was dating women but hadn't found like a life partner, I was very much thinking about just having the second baby that I wanted on my own. Your male friends do not have that same option because to have a baby on their own would require several hundred thousand dollars because you have to replace this incredibly valuable commodity, reproductive capital. It's somebody who's going to, you know, spend their eggs, right, so you have to pay for egg donation, which is a you know, very like long process. It's not like sperm donation. Sperm donation takes twenty minutes, right, it's a bunch, you know, longer process. It's like a surgery. You have to find someone who would be a surrogate to carry that child for nine months.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So women contribute so much more reproductively, and so this was part of my dissertation that I wanted to prove this hypothesis I had that reproductive capital was valuable. And so of course if we're going to convince people that something's valuable, I have to convince people that men value it. So I ran in this study Maris, well, you know, reproductive capital is declining between thirty and forty because it's becoming harder to have kids. So I randomized ages on dating profiles and showed that when randomly, you know, it's the same picture, the same profile, but when her age is higher, that she's getting rated lower. And I put that in monetary terms, you know, in terms of how much money more she would have to earn. Because, by the way, also men do value women's income. I think it's a little bit of a myth that men don't want women to earn money. They do want women to earn money, they just also want them to do everything around the house. So that allowed me to then say, like, reproductive capital is valuable, and I could link it specifically to fertility, because if the man already had kids from a previous relationship, he didn't show this gradient with age, he didn't respond to the randomly at the men who were kind of looking to have kids.
Speaker 2: Hold on, I want to make sure that I'm understanding this.
Speaker 1: So men who already have kids had no bias against women and their age.
Speaker 2: It was just about reproduction for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And because remember the photo was being held constant. You may say there's other things that normally change with age, but here I'm holding everything constant, right and interesting, there wasn't wasn't a relationship if you weren't interested in having kids. But the reason, I'll what the positive spend Because there's the maddening piece of end I'm like, how women are devalued? Does the age and how something I'm forty one, right, I am feeling all of these things. But the positive spin on it is that you are endowed. Women are endowed with this incredibly valuable reproductive capital. And this is why queen's historically, even though they didn't work, they didn't do anything around the house, but they still were treated like royalty, just like kings, because they were contributing their reproductive capital. And so you have this, and if you're going to make a deal with somebody to share your reproductive capital with him, the terms of that deal better be very favorable to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So speaking of deal, this is the one part of our conversation where I want to sort of give you a to be sure argument because as I was reading, I was thinking to myself, Wow, maybe I'm complicit in my own oppression. So I'm going to push back, and please push back on me. So you say in the book for all of us to ask ourselves when we're looking at our lives and our marriages, to look at them as a deal, a contract, And you write, ask yourself, am I getting a good return?
Speaker 2: A job, a relationship? Kids? Am I getting a good deal? Now? I think that a lot of.
Speaker 1: People who read that or listen to this conversation are going to say, well, you know, love is not really the error term, like love is the whole point? What if I'm optimizing for love like, what if you CARINLO have the equation upside down? What if that's the variable that actually matters. What do you say to that?
Speaker 3: Well, yes, I'm not as cynical as I sound. I absolutely think that love matters. And I like describe my experience of with wearing this analytical hat and trying to like date post divorce and being like, this time, I'm going to do it right. This time, I'm going to have my checklist and I'm going to make sure that this person. And then I like met somebody who's amazing, was a good friend now who like hit every point in the track list, and like I was not attracted to them, right, And it's like, oh darn it, Like you know, that's actually not how this works, right. So what I say is like, attraction and love is a necessary condition. You need it to even start the conversation. Can we have a relationship, But it's not a sufficient condition. It's not the be all and end all, right, And I think the mistake that we get is by believing these cultural scripts that love should be enough. And I'm sure when Jada met Will Smith that she loved him right, and later on in that marriage, as you said, there was something else there. There was resentment. Right when I met my ex husband, I did love him, and I followed like my heart. I followed love right, and we loved each other so much, and we loved each other, and I loved him so much until the point where I was getting none of my needs met in the relationship, and then that little by little eight away at that love until there was nothing left. So I think if you want to sustain the love that you start out with, right, and you go into every relationship with love, of course you should go in with love. But if you want to sustain it, you need more there. Right. It has to be that both people's needs are getting met. It has to be that both people are getting a good deal, that both people are getting that chance to self actualize. And I think when you put it in those terms of its being about self actualization, it's not just about the financial contract, right, And it's about becoming your true self. Of course, a relationship should support that. And if somebody loves you and you love them and you have a great sex life, but they won't get you the gift box so that you can spend an hour studying, right, it's going to turn off your attraction to them, and that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was gone then right, Oh my god, I did not want to have sex with him? Yes, yes, one hundred percent, and it turns off like a light switch.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yes. And so that, like love and attraction, is thanked to actually getting our needs, Matt. And so I want you to shop for the partner who, yes, you feel that insane chemistry with, but you also are able to sustain that chemistry because that partner is your biggest fan and your biggest cheerleader and wanted you to ace that interview more than you even wanted it.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you for putting it into those terms. I think that's really a beautiful way of looking at it. And also your idea of thinking about what our own values are is so helpful, because if somebody's value is like I want to be a stay at home parent and I want to be the person like holding down the fort, then you're not saying don't do that. If that's how you are self actualizing, amazing. But if you are going into this relationship wanting other things, you need a partner that's going to help facilitate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so poor you where you are, and that's why this idea of like finding your own utility function. And when you find your own utility function, it's actually going to cure that jealousy that we started with this idea of wanting somebody else's life, because you're going to look at somebody else's life and you're going to say, I could have more of that, but that's not my utility function. I would have to give up this other thing that I want right I could be more successful, I could be thinner, I could be richer, but I would have to focus on that to the exclusion of other things that I value. And I'm who I am. So when you really tap into your utility function, you will not feel that constant need to want to be someone else.
Speaker 1: I know you shared such a great question earlier about like would my partner move if there's somebody listening right now. We have listeners who are single, who are married, who are career oriented, who are stay at home parents.
Speaker 2: It runs the gamut.
Speaker 1: Is there a question that you think every woman should be asking herself right now?
Speaker 3: Hm? I love that question. I think the how am I in investing my time? Question of recognizing that your time is extremely valuable. Your time is your scarcest asset, and so how much are you investing and giving away for other people for what serves their utility function? Your boss wants to make more money. You know, your kids, if you have kids, are always going to want more of you. Your partner is going to want this, and that your friends are going to want this, Your community is going to have these needs. How much are you investing your time in everything that everybody else needs versus in what you hold most dear? And when I talked about your time being intrinsically valuable, that's a reframe I want everybody to make that. It's like if you say, like, Okay, I know what my utility function is, but how do I get more of it? Right? Everybody can get more utility right now. And there's one thing that you can do. Write down the two or three things that bring you the most joy, that you feel the most at peace when you do that, you feel the most like yourself when you do, and then do those things do the more, put them on your calendar, carve them out, block them out, and recognize that that is a valuable use of your time. That's not laziness, that's not like, oh I didn't feel like being productive. That's you being extremely productive making utility with your time, which ultimately is what we're here on earth to do.
Speaker 1: I tell me if you think this is true, I think what partners are like. What coincides with that is being willing to let other things fall by the wayside. So like I want more time to work out, I may not have like the perfect host gift for everywhere I go, or the like I may not get birthday gifts from my friends.
Speaker 2: You know, Like what am I willing to sort of release.
Speaker 3: When I say block it out on your calendar? It's to acknowledge this idea that whatever will fill the available space. And what we do as women is we often let ourselves claim the scraps, right, So it's the crumbs in the bottom of the cookie bag instead of that first big bite of a cookie, you know, in a crusty edge, right, we get the crumbs that are left over. And so what I'm saying is give yourself that first big bite for the thing that you value the most, and let everything else claim the crumbs, and it will all get done. Like the things that are truly important, the things that are must us and muskets done this week they will get done, and some other things like that email might go unanswered, or that you know, perfect hostess gift might not get bought, and it might be a bottle of wine you know, quickly on the way and SE's regifted.
Speaker 2: I might even gift champagne over and over again.
Speaker 3: Yes, it just is cycling between other people's houses, right, and that is okay. Give me and my friends we joke that like no one has bought a new gift bag, you know, in like years, it's just like the same gift bag totally. And that is going to be okay. That's going to be enough because you invested your time in what was most valuable.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow, so well said.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna ask you some rapid fire questions because I don't want to be a drain on your time.
Speaker 2: Current.
Speaker 1: What's the most overrated piece of advice ever given to working women?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, so many of them. But this idea that you have to act like a man to get ahead, so you've got to like negotiate harder, be more aggressive. There's no evidence to back that up. I have studies showing that women are better negotiators than men.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, love that Okay, one thing you tell single you that married you had to learn the hard way.
Speaker 3: That the extent of gender roles acting on you and your spouse is going to surprise you. And there are so many defaults in marriage in parenthood that you have to swim upstream against, and so you need to prepare for that now by choosing a partner and by negotiating the terms of the deal with that partner before those defaults kind of sweep you away in their tide.
Speaker 2: Finish this sentence, having it all actually means.
Speaker 3: Having it almost, which is the version that works for you. Whatever you know you value most, having that and letting the rest be messy and imperfect, because that's life, and this isn't Instagram. This is real life. And only in real life. Can you actually taste that peach? Can you actually hug that child? Can you act actually smell that meadow? And let's not miss that the wonderful experience of living our full, messy, complicated lives chasing an aesthetic that was never real to begin with.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the things I learned about Girl Boss is that a big part of it was aesthetic. And it's sort of coming up again in a new way. Not to blame, I'm agreed. I think she's a symptom of it.
Speaker 3: But yes, I totally agree.
Speaker 2: There's this new aesthetic. It's very big, and.
Speaker 3: It's polarized because right now it's like we're torn between these two impossible realities of like Emma Greed on one hand and then like Ballerina farm on the other, and we're like twisting ourselves into a pretzel trying to be both and it's just like, no, like just delete Instagram off your phone for a couple of weeks and start over.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned just a minute ago about putting certain things on your calendar.
Speaker 2: What's something what's a swap that you made?
Speaker 3: So it's more of just the commitment because I don't like, I don't feel like the tradeoffs are not that real, because the trade off is really like you have less time for email, the house is a little bit less clean, like or you maybe you have less time to scroll your phone at the end of the day because you put some of your valued first. But it's like being committed to like even when it feels hard and you're like, how am I going to make time for yoga or right now for me and my wife, like trying to figure out how to get time with each other with like two very busy careers and two kids. So it's like, really that commitment, that practice of being like this is not negotiable. This time has to be preserved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's something that every woman should try? Once?
Speaker 3: I said, going on a date with a woman. Just try it.
Speaker 2: Just class out, because you know.
Speaker 3: There's just who knows who you're attracted to. And again, there's so many defaults, right, So it's not that I'm encouraging, and I'm not saying that secretly everybody is, you know, gay, or everybody could be a lesbian. I don't think that everybody's necessarily flexible, but I do think that we shouldn't just let the default drive our decisions. We should explore.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: You know, Ashland Harris basically said the same thing to me on the pot. She was like, everyone needs to kiss a woman once. Tell me about a book you read that changed your life, something that everybody should read.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, first of all, I love fiction, and so if you look at what's on my nightstand, it's always going to be in a fiction book. And there's so many authors that I love because I feel like fiction is always about identifying truths within ourselves. But if I'm going to be really honest and really nerdy answering this question, I would say it was like principles of microeconomics because when I was in college, I started taking ECON and it became this framework that I used to understand the world. And so this idea of utility function, it's like this ECON one oh one like way of solving problems and understanding like is the consumer going to like buy less tomatoes when like the price of tomatoes goes up? Right? But it became to me this really amazing metaphor for seeking what we most value in life, that we are maximizing utility. And so you know, a little bit of economics, I feel like, and if people are interested in that, I if you follow my sub stack, I feel like I try to do that. Is like teach people a little bit about basic economics because I think it is such a life changing way to view the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 1: I was a political science major, and every professor I had said, if something can feel uses you, and POLY say follow the money. So that's right, okay, question everything tell me when to stop?
Speaker 3: Noh?
Speaker 2: Okay, what's one thing you are trying to or need to let go.
Speaker 3: Of that need for things to be perfect and for things to be done right now, because it's so hard, right. I think so many women lessening probably relate. It's like you're so driven in like your career life, and you always have your checklist, and then like you just want everything to be done, everything to be perfect. It's like you want your house to look amazing all the time, and then the clutter is constantly like re emerging. You know, I want my flowers to already be planted in the backyard now that it's like ninety degrees right, And the reality is that, like life is messy, and you're not going to really get more joy out of those things being done right now, and it's not worth the trade off of going to the park or going for a walk. So I am constantly trying to let go of needing things to be perfect, done, complete, neat all of that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Usually I could end an interview by saying thank you for your time, but it means something different in this one, so truly thank you for your time and good advice. I love that it's rooted in economics, but it really does feel like advice.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Danielle and baby Danielle had it write. Your time is incredibly valuable, every minute, and I hope you find somebody who values it as much as you do.
Speaker 1: Thank you. That's such a beautiful wish. I'm gonna hold that. Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day, to have a good day. I'll see you next week.