Speaker 1: So Perry. When I was in college and my brother was also in college, we came home one year for Thanksgiving and my brother had a cold, and you know people get sick whenever he's a college student. He has a cold. It kind of goes on for a little while, and then it's like the day before Thanksgiving. My parents are like, you still have this cold? Like what do you think it's just a cold. He's like, yay, yeah, I think it's just a cold. There is one other thing it could be, oh like like what and he's like, well, I was hiking in lime, Connecticut, and then later I found a tick and then I noticed this very specific kind of rash on my back. It looks like a bullseye, so it could be something like lime disease. And my parents were It was like a moment which now I reflect on as a parent, where they're just like, are you kidding? It's like the day before Thanksgiving and now we have to call our friends and be like, how can we get some doxy cyclic? So teenage boys the worse, if anything, totally, is.
Speaker 2: There anything worse than a teenage boy trying to take care of their own health or ticks in lime Connecticut, and there's nothing.
Speaker 1: It was so it was so specific, and today we're going to talk about ticks and there are many, many problems.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's our creepiest episode so far, creepy Crawley episode of wellness actually, but you know, coming to you here together, we're party still Broadcast Center in Connecticut, birthplace of lime disease.
Speaker 1: No better place to discuss ticks. So far, the room has no ticks. But we'll have to say how things evolved. I'm Emily Aster, I'm an economist and a data expert.
Speaker 2: And I'm Perry Wilson, I'm a medical doctor.
Speaker 1: It's Thursday, August twentieth, twenty twenty six, and this is wellness.
Speaker 2: Actually, because you're getting a staggering amount of health and wellness information nowadays from every source imaginable, and some of it is awesome.
Speaker 1: And some of it is well well actually both Fortunately, we're both people who know how to read studies, how to parse the data, and can tell you what's worth thinking about and what you can safely ignore.
Speaker 2: But before we dig in, a note that this podcast is for educational purposes and should not be construed as medical advice. We don't know your unique situation, so talk to your doctor for personal health decisions.
Speaker 1: This week, we're asking what's the deal with ticks Perry and I will give the official smash or pass if I think we're going to pass, but let's see, and then we'll get to your question of the week. But first, let's do the health news roundup after the break.
Speaker 2: And we're back with the health news of the week. First bit of health news. I needed to get your opinion on Emily because I saw this and I was like, oh, it turns out I'm the best parent ever. Okay. So a study shows that less unsupervised physical activity and more screen time in childhood is associated with better cognitive outcomes in adolescents. Okay, So less physical activity, more screen time, smarter kids. I'm doing great. My kids waking up and picking up an iPad while they eat their like process cereal is high quality parenting. We probably shouldn't even discuss it. Let's move on to our next helf item. So fine, what's your.
Speaker 1: Opinion of Okay, So we have seen so much data in the other direction, and I am always crapping on that data because you see a lot of DA that says screens are bad and physical activity is good, and most of that is just driven by biases, other differences between families, et cetera. This study is also bad, but it is it's in the other direction bad. And this this study has both the problem that all the other studies do, which is that it's got parents who are different in different ways. It's very small, it's like a few hundred people, so it's not that important. But it also has a very very important problem, which is that in all of their analyzes they control for a baseline cognitive metric, so it's like the outcome is a is like cognition now, and then they have some controls for like how much physical activity and screen time you have, but there's also a control for when they enrolled you in study initially what your cognition was, and so that's actually soaking up like almost all the variation because there's so much correlation over time, and when you soak up all that variation, you get a lot of random noise out.
Speaker 2: In that really just on the margins.
Speaker 1: So it's really just on the margins. And then small biases and differences will drive stuff, and some most of their stuff is not significant. There's like a little p Hackings paper has a lot of problems, but that is.
Speaker 2: Getting a lot of press though.
Speaker 1: You got a lot of press because people love people are like you. They will like people love to hear what they think already is. They love to hear they're doing a good jobs.
Speaker 2: Zee Commanuel has a whole book about why it's healthy to eat ice cream.
Speaker 1: Right, and people like that. That book sold really well. Yeah, because people want to hear that what they're doing is okay, and what you're doing probably is okay. But this study doesn't tell you anything about that.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for our episode next week where we talk about the benefits of cocaine and methamphetamy.
Speaker 1: Totally okay. Next up, the AJ updated their cholesterol targets. Yeah, tell me more. Yeah, I mean this is this is not as interesting.
Speaker 2: It's not the sexiest bit of news, but it is important. The AJA has not updated its cholesterol targets since twenty eighteen, so it's been a fair amount of time, and there's been a lot of research in the interim about the relative benefits of reducing bad cholesterol, typically LDL cholesterol. It's a big document. Go through just some of the highlights. The broad strokes here is that they recommend screening earlier and getting LDL lower for longer. So they actually say that kids should be screened between ages nine and eleven for cholesterol checking, and they sort of reduce their targets across the board, so for people, for everyone, no matter what your cardiovascular risk is, the LDL target is less than one sixty now. And then they recommend a risk assessment system. There's a scoring system called Prevent which input a bunch of stuff like are you smoker, diabetes, other things. It calculates your risk of heart disease in the next ten years, and then there are targets based on the various risk thresholds. The other addition to this from the prior guidelines was that among adults who are on therapy, like on a statin or something to reduce their bad LDL cholesterol, that we should measure APO B, which is a different lipoprotein, a different type of cholesterol that's not typically measured in the screening tests, and that all adults should have LP little a measured once. LP LITTLEA is an interesting little type of cholesterol lipoprotein that clearly is associated with heart disease risk over time. So people with higher levels do have more heart disease over time. We know that. However, it's mediated almost entirely genetically, so as opposed to LDL, which has lifestyle dietary implications, LP little A is like you get what you get, which is why they're only recommending that you measure it once. And actually the therapies to lower LP little A are still are still in the sort of research phases, although I think we'll see some commercialization soon. So yeah, get your cholesterol lower.
Speaker 1: I guess this kind of cutoff in medicine is something economists like a lot because it suggests good opportunities for figuring out how much different treatments matter, like in the real world. So it's you say, you know the cutoff is one hundred, then doctors treat people with one hundred and one different from people with nine, even though it's super super dominant. We can talk about why, but like that is definitely how it happens. And so when you move these cutoffs, it provides more interesting opportunities for identification. So economists listening, you got like two years, and then you can use these new cutoffs to do stuff exciting.
Speaker 2: I love a good natural experiment, good natural experiment.
Speaker 1: Also, I think my LDL is higher than one hundred, so I'm I'm a bit concerned. But let's move on.
Speaker 2: But I suspect you're not at borderline risk, which is what the one hundred target is. It's one hundred and sixty for people with low risk. Okay, great, yeah, but you can ensue maybe who knows. I know there's family history stuff in the risk score, so you can check it out. All right, has there been a new album drop? If so, be careful because a new study finds a fifteen percent increase in traffic fatalities on the day of a top ten streaming album release compared to the day before or after. So the idea here being we're in our car Taylor drops her new album and we're like just we're rocking out, our eyes are closed, and traffic fatalities go up quite a bit. I think you have a connection to this paper.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the senior author on this paper is a guy named Babu Jenna who is at Harvard, who is perfect for the Wellness Actually podcast because Bapu is an mdphd and his PhD is in economics. He was actually my student at Chicago and there aren't very many people with an mdphd in economics. It's an unusual combination of things. But he writes a lot of very interesting papers that have some similarities to this. So he has some papers on how more people die of heart attacks during marathons, not because they are running, but because you cannot get to the hospital if you have a heart attack.
Speaker 2: Oh, because there's the roads are all closed and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, marathons are deadly. Look it up. But in this case, what they find is they use this nice identification strategy around album releases, and they show that people are more distracted and it's particularly men. Not that surprising, And I would guess if I had to guess, and I didn't, I don't think they have a lot of heterogeneity by like what type of music it is. But I would guess, like the Noah Kahan album, like people are not you know, like driving going you're just like you're not going ninety or just like cry maybe you're crying. So anyway, Oh that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, what I wonder you know, I did see in the study that they adjusted for the day of the week and and like the number of subscriptions to the service and stuff. Over time, Like there's obviously confounders here, But what I was kind of thinking is like how sophisticated are record producers or distribution companies in terms of picking that date? Like do they know? Like are they going for a date that's gonna be that's important in a way that we're not adjusting here for and I don't know what it is, Like are they looking for dates that are high literally high traffic? Like do they want to release on dates when there are a lot of people on the road just to get those get those clicks, get those streams? Do not?
Speaker 1: I think that that is stretching crewdu I mean, is the right question to ask about identification? But I think it is very unlikely that this that surely they are choosing for some reason. But as long as that reason is not about traffic fatalities, which seems less plausible than this identification strategy, is fine, all right, And based on the timing of choosing book releases, I would say it's mostly random. Somebody in the office is like, I've thought about it, and July fifteenth, it's like they're just like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. Whenever do you worry about kids listening to music when they drive. My daughter is always listening to music and does, like I do, worry that it's one extra I would.
Speaker 1: Prefer my children never drive, So I'm going to go with I just don't. I don't like the idea of children children driving. I haven't thought about the music part of it, honestly, I'm still getting past the driving part. That is it for the health news of the week. Now, what's the deal with ticks?
Speaker 2: What's the deal?
Speaker 1: What's the deal?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Ticks? Ticks? Why are you here?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Geez?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I have to start with a corrections buds per usually at the at the end of last week's episode, when we said this week is what's the deal with ticks? I think I made a comment like those those bugs, I call them bugs, and you know, the entomololi just get really upset when you call an animal a bug that's not a bug, even like insects, Like there's some insects which are bugs, but not all insects are bugs.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's like a square and a rectangle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like bug, I thought that bug was a colloquial term for a creepy crawley thing. But there's also like an entomological term for this is not ticks aren't bugs. They're not even insects. They're not even insects. They are a racknids. They're more closely related to spiders than they are to mosquitoes or other blood suckers. That's interesting.
Speaker 1: That is interesting. Are they so? And also like related to mites, yes, different kinds of mites.
Speaker 2: Yeah, other iracnid racknin type stuff.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'm already I don't like I don't like bugs. I guess in this case, that's fine because this isn't about bugs, as previously noted.
Speaker 2: That crawl on you.
Speaker 1: They crawl on you.
Speaker 2: No, agreed, No, this is this is a creepy episode.
Speaker 1: As we said, all right, so ticks eat blood. They need blood in order to move forward with their life cycle. And when they get on you, they get on and they feed in your blood and they get enormous. They can go like up six hundred times their weight while they suck your juices.
Speaker 2: It's super gross. I've never had a tick on me that got that big, but I have had like a tick on a dog that is just just gigantic.
Speaker 1: And yeah, okay, we.
Speaker 2: Have to stop. We have to take a break already have made it this far.
Speaker 1: Okay, But it turns out that the stage of the tick that matters the most is the nymph. They're very, very very small, which is which is why they are the most dangerous, because that is the thing that you would not see or it's very hard to see. It looks like a little tiny poppy seed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dear tech nymph in particular, which are you know, the main vectors for lime disease, which is which is the big the big one when it comes to tick born diseases, but by no means the only one. And you mentioned that blood meals are necessary to advance in the stage of the life cycle, and like not just the way that well, everyone has to eat to grow bigger, but ticks go from you know, larva to nymph to I think one more stage and then adult, and each of those things needs a blood meal to like unlock the genetic machinery. So they literally level up every time they feed off of someone. And yeah, if you don't get them off, they feed until they get gigantic and then they just fall off on the ground and then go through their next little molting life SiGe and wait for the next blood meal to come by.
Speaker 1: So for lime disease, which we are going to get to, but we're actually gonna there's a lot to talk about. So we're going gonna start the episode by talking about things that are not lime disease, and then we're gonna get to lime. But for lime, the one thing I will say now is that the tick has to stay attached for something like thirty six to forty eight hours. You actually have quite a long time to remove the tick in lime disease before it would cause disease. Is not going to be true for for every everything else. So we're gonna get to line, but we're gonna start with generally what can happen. Ticks so responsible for many diseases, and they kind of work in three different ways. So I thought, rather than talking about the entire list, we'll say for listeners. Perry had a like spreadsheet and had like forty five rows, and I thought he was gonna we were gonna go through every tick disease, Tick disease number thirty sevens like this episode would be boring, and so instead we're gonna we're gonna focus a little bit on the sort of three ways that the tick can actually impact you your health, impact your health.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yeah, so I think. I mean, honestly, the tick born diseases are super fascinating. But yes, three big ways. The first thing that a tick can do to make you sick is it can infect you with something, be it virus, bacteria, et cetera. And we'll obviously talk about a sampling of those, but just so you know, there are many more, and we'll miss, uh, we'll miss quite a few of them in the interest of time. The second thing a tick can do is poison you. So we'll talk about some ticks that have substances in their saliva, so non infectious, but nevertheless chemical substances that can have really devastating effects on humans. And the third thing is that they can rewire your immune system. And there is a few themes that have come up in the Wellness Actually podcast when it comes to allergy and immunology, and one of them is this understanding that when you deliver something into your body not through the normal way, like not by eating it, you can get allergic to the substance in a way that you wouldn't get if you ate it. And because ticks are injecting stuff, basically directly into your bloodstream. It opens up the door to all sorts of really interesting allergies. So I think if we hit some representative sampling there before we get to all the lime disease stuff, that would be great.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're gonna start with the infection one because it has is actually both the way the lime works and also the way that what I think is by far the scariest tick disease works. So the scariest tick disease I think is poasen. Is that how you saying it?
Speaker 2: Poson polawson? Yeah, pos and virus, the.
Speaker 1: Posts and virus, and the post and virus is spread by the same tick as lime disease. It is the black leg deer tick. And this is the thing. There are two really really scary aspects of this. So one is that it can happen very fat. So lime disease needs a very long time this virus for the tick the chick to be attached. And this virus needs fifteen minutes. Yeah, and it is very possible for you to miss I mean, it's very possible to miss a tick for two days. It's really possible to miss it tick for fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. If you see a deer tick on you and it has bitten, like it's not crawling, but it's in and you have to pull it off, and in theory it could have transmitted poots and virus.
Speaker 1: And the pous and virus is very scary.
Speaker 2: It's very scary. So all right, if you if you look this up, what you'll find it's that POAs and virus is a virus with no treatment and a ten percent case fatality rate, which is like, oh, so I can walk through the woods of Connecticut where a deer tick abound, and I can have a tick on me for fifteen minutes and then I have a ten percent death rate. This is not entirely true, but the broad strokes and the way the data we have will lead to some people saying these things. So, so what the virus does in most people is nothing. Now, that's not what you'll see when you google. What you'll see when you Google is that polas and virus causes meningitis. So it's a brain inflammatory virus. And indeed, if you develop meningitis from polos and virus, you're going to go to the hospital. You're going to be very sick. It's a virus, so antibiotics don't work. You're going to get supportive care ivy fluids and pain control and fingers crossed. And the case fatality rate is about ten percent, So that's super scary. But most people don't ever get symptoms from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think we sort of have to know that that has to be true just based on the base rate. You know, there are many, many, many cases of lime every year spread by the same tick. There are very small number of cases of this, so so far in twenty twenty six there have been thirty. Last year there were seventy six. That's a very small number. Of the US is three hundred and thirty million people. The Northeast has many, many, many tens of millions of people. This is a very small number. And there is some sero prevalence work, which means like testing people to see if there's evidence that they've been exposed to this with suggest much higher rates of exposure, so.
Speaker 2: Have an antibody to the virus, but you never were sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So one way to think about this is conditional on arriving at the hospital very sick. With this, the fatality rate is quite high. The vast majority of people who get this do not actually develop this virus. So it's not that it's not scary, like it is. This is very scary. It's very scary, but there are many other things that are scarier in the world. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, If insofar as this motivates you to like do the anti tick measures, we'll talk about some of the things you can do to prevent getting tick bites, then great. But yeah, don't let keep you up at night.
Speaker 1: I mean I do if you think, like things like this are very salient to people. When you say, you know, there's a thing that could happen, you get bit by a tick and you could, you know, have a ten percent fatality, that is really scary, and then that lives in your head because people are very poor at understanding small probabilities. The fact that it's seventy six out of you know, seventy five million people, it just feels like, well, it could it could be a chance, it could have could happen. It's like the lottery. It's worth putting it in the space of you know, you are an awful lot more likely to die in a car in your car on the way to the woods than you are to die of a tick that you get in the woods. I'm not saying you should be afraid of going hiking, but like, in the space of risks you're taking, this is very small.
Speaker 2: The health benefits of going on that hike probably outweigh any risk.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you did this sort of minute calculation, you're you're on a good path.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely, Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the second way, so that's tick infections, and there are other diseases that that can be spread by ticks in this same way. Yeah, what's your favorite other infection?
Speaker 2: I know, No, I mean there's so many interesting tickborne diseases, and I feel like people have their favorites, and someone's gonna be like, you didn't mention rocking mountains about a fever. You didn't mention it antaplasmosis. I think bibeziosis to me because we see this in the hospital not infrequently, and it is the closest thing to malaria that we have in the United States. So bibeziosis is bacterial infection that gets a parasite that gets inside red blood cells. So just like the malaria parasite. I mean, it's not the same, it's a different parasite, but that's its mechanism. It gets in these red blood cells and people come in with severe anemia and actually like very similar symptoms that malaria presents with. So you sort of learn about malaria and medical school because malaria is the biggest killer of humans, infectious these color of humans in the world. And then you know, you come here to Connecticut and you see people coming in with the same symptoms and it'll be bibziosis.
Speaker 1: There are about one hundred to five hundred cases of this your favorite every year. Okay, great, all right, great for you, But I'm just telling people that's not very very common.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is selection bias here too, because a lot of people at thebeziosis will have some kidney dysfunctions, so they call people like me.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the second thing that ticks can do is they can poison you. And the best poison tick disease is tick paralysis. Yeah, it's the best one because it's super interesting. It's a neurotoxin in the saliva of some kinds of ticks and it causes paralysis.
Speaker 2: And it causes a very particular type of paralysis. So what it is is it's a flaccid paralysis. So a weakness as opposed to spasticity. So there's kind of two types of paralysis, a weak paralysis that goes from your legs and goes up your body. And if you're a doctor listening to this and you saw a patient that had that pattern of paralysis, you would be like, that's Giambre syndrome because it looks exactly the same.
Speaker 1: But actually it's ticks. And if you remove the tick, the paralysis goes away.
Speaker 2: Which is awesome, Which is awesome.
Speaker 1: And there is an episode of House in which this happens. Yes, there's an episode of House in which there is a person, a teenage girl, and this is what House thinks is happening. And everyone says that he's an idiot because they can't find a tick and they look for a tick and blah blah blah. But then it turns out that her boyfriend had snuck in and he had picked up a tick and they had had sex, and actually the tick was in her vagina and that was what House identified. So for me, this is like suck in my I don't know, I really liked that show. Oh no, I like the show too, And so then the things and that was an episode that suck with me. And also the fact that they always thought it was Wilson's disease, Like every single time it was Wilson's disease.
Speaker 2: Oh that's funny.
Speaker 1: It's like not a lot of people. Well anyway, that's a different topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wilson's is a disease of no relationsition copper metabolism the cause of liver failure. So it is worth it to know for clinicians that if someone presents with Giambret syndrome, that you should do a tick check. Generally we advise looking at the scalp.
Speaker 1: But I suppose that's why House is a genius.
Speaker 2: You should do a thing.
Speaker 1: He doesn't just do the first thing.
Speaker 2: You should do a thorough tck check if you have a patient with giambre syndrome. But it is cool. The prolyssis goes away within hours of removing the tick, So miracle stuff.
Speaker 1: All right. Third thing is that the tick can rewire your immune system in this crazy way. And this is the one actually everyone has been talking about. Yeah, or at least one of the diseases that's caused, and this caused by this mechanism, which is alpha gal. Alpha gal has been the talk of Nantucket this summer because one of the things that happens, the thing that happens with this is that you cannot tolerate meat. Yeah, and there's been some discussion, which I think is totally overblown that like the stores on Nantucket have stopped stocking Hamburgers because too many people have alpha, which I don't think is true. But but this is.
Speaker 2: Like, it's probably the ozempic.
Speaker 1: I will guess it's but let's, you know, move on, so what like it's but it's totally weird.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's it's it's it's super fascinating. And I alluded to this earlier that allergies tend to develop when you get exposed to a potential allergen, not through your GI tract, like through some other way. So what alpha gal is is I guess we need to know is that every species, every mammalian species, on the surface of their cells has a sugar called galactose alpha one three galactose except the Old World apes, the Old World primates like us and chimpanzees and gorillas, So we lost that in our evolutionary history. We like the gene to make that sugar just went wait, we do not make it anymore. I don't think it causes us a particular problem.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's evolution for you all other mammals except us in the chimpanzees and the gorillas. Okay, so we don't see that protein that sugar in our body, but we eat meat and as long as it goes through our GI tract, that's fine. This tick, and in this case it's the lone star tick primarily in its saliva has galactose alpha one three galactose for other reasons, presumably obviously it's not mammalian, but it injects that into you, and in theory, because it's going in through your skin and not through your GI tract, you can develop analogy to it. What is a little unusual about this allergy is it's not usually full blown anaphylaxis, where like you, I don't know, you have a bite of hamburger and two minutes later you're on the floor. It's usually a hours after, so probably something you probably have to digest, Some stuff got to get into your system for things to happen. And usually the presenting symptoms are GI in nature, like pain, bloating, diarrhea, sometimes vomiting, and because of that time between when you ate and when you got sick is so long it's like not immediately obvious to people that it is analergy. There can be allergic symptoms as well, so it's a really interesting bit of physiology that like we're really only just starting to understand.
Speaker 1: It is also a place where testing has revealed that a lot of people seem to have been exposed in this way. So they're like, Sarah, there's a test for this. You can test for the serum alpha gal antibody antibody, and when you do that in some sort of places with a lot of chicks, you get actually quite high rates. So somebody did a residual blood donor sample and the seral prevalence was like twenty four percent. Wow. And of course twenty four percent of people in you know, Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, and Tennessee are not allergic to.
Speaker 2: To be devastating to the local economy.
Speaker 1: And so so you know, and we're seeing like five hundred cases a year diagnosed of this. So I think it's it's one of these places where obviously people have this without actually having having symptoms, and it does go away for most people over time.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. If you if you avoid further tick bites, the symptoms get better. But for some people they can really never eat meet again. And the immune system is an incredibly complex thing, and an antibody tighter is not the same as, you know, a full blown immune reaction, so it can be it can be hard to tease out.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you know, stay away from those loans to start to so interesting.
Speaker 2: It is it is.
Speaker 1: The body is very cool, absolutely, all right. So those are your three big tick approaches. And we're very sorry to the entomologists listeners that we have not covered Perry's spreadsheet of ticks tickborn diseases. But we're going to take a break and when we come back, we're going to talk about line disease. All right, We're back, and we're going to talk about lime, which is the most common tick born disease in the US. It's actually not clear how many cases there are in the year in a given year, but it's in the hundreds of thousands we we think. And lime disease really begins with some moms in Old Lime, Connecticut, who had identified they all had children who had been diagnosed with juvenile arthritism, trid arthritis, which is basically joint like joint pain. And they just felt that was not could not really it didn't seem right. It's not very common. That isn't typically a cluster disease.
Speaker 2: When why do all these kids have it?
Speaker 1: And they pushed and pushed and pushed, and eventually a researcher at Yale sort of took them seriously, worked this up and identified a bacteria which was is spread by ticks that was causing this set of symptoms and conditions. And I actually think this story and we can talk much more about the microbiology, but just from a kind of sociological standpoint, this story is the beginning of lime disease. And it's also like the middle and the end because so much of what happens in the discussion of lime disease, particularly around chronic lime, feels like patients feel like they're not being listened to doctors totally by doctors, And this is like it sort of started.
Speaker 2: It started that way.
Speaker 1: It started that way. It's DNA and so so that's that's where that's where the start. And this all happened in like the mid mid nineteen seventies early nineteen eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was Willy Burgdorfer who actually identified the bacteria. It's called the spier key. It's kind of a spirally shaped bacteria. It's named after him, Brellia burgdor For I we'll hear more about Willie Bergdorfer when we talked about some of the interesting lime disease conspiracy theories that that are out there. But before we get to that, we should just talk about, like what LI disease?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: What I think people people probably know? But okay, so we've got this bacteria that lives in a tick. The vector is typically the deer tick. It can be carried by some other ticks. And as you pointed out, the nymph stages where we see most of the transmission, not because it's uniquely infected, but because it's so tiny, poppy seed size, little black thing, super easy and miss, especially in the hair. As you said, it takes a while for it to transmit. That's actually because the tick has to start feeding and process and it actually inject it like metabolizes some of your blood and it puts it back in you. And that's how that takes some time, and it and and that's how we're getting creepy again, but that's actually how the spier keat gets into you. And the entomologists will go out and like take samples of deer ticks and look and just measure the ticks, and about twenty five to fifty percent of them are lime disease positive. So it's like, if you have a deer tick, the chances are it's got lime disease in it, or at least the chances are very good it's got lime disease in it. Clinically, the standard way to define lime disease is we say early or localized lime disease, and then late or disseminated lime disease. And if you see me using air quotes or trying to hedge my bets with the tone of my voice, that's because various other societies have created different staging systems, so this is the most common one. Early localized disease is the rash. It's known as air thema migrants classic target shaped rash looks like a bullseye, looks like a bullseye, correct, and it can be you know, you'll see pictures online that's like, oh, it's clearly a bulls eye. But my daughter had lime disease. I took a picture of like a vague ring shaped thing on her back. I was like, I think this is air thema migrants and I sent it to Repediatrey and they were like, nah, it looks it doesn't really look like that, like it's too faint or whatever. It like wasn't. Yeah, she had limezse so okay. Also in that early period, you can get those flu like cold like symptoms, fatigue, headache and stuff like that, and ideally you want to treat at that point in time. You don't want to let it get to disseminated lime disease. That's where you can get a lot of other symptoms. Now it's spread throughout your body and so you can see symptoms and other organ systems, classically joints. My daughter, because she wasn't treated at the early stage, had a big like joint effusion in her knee. That's how she ended up getting diagnosed. But you can have cardiac abnormalities. Facial palsy is actually fairly common. You know, it can look almost like you have a stroke or something like that with UH because there's some nerve stuff there. This all gets better with treatment. And I will say explicitly you can have lime disease without the rash. So seventy to eighty percent of lime disease cases will have arithema migrants, but not every single one, so you do have to be suspicious.
Speaker 1: So part of what is complicated here is of course, for some set of people, like let divide a little bit into kind of like the best almost like the best case scenario here, which is you have an identified tick bite, there is a bullseye shaped rash that you notice immediately, and then there is a very clear treatment. There's no testing. We assume that you have lime disease, that you take a dose of doxie cyclin and that fixes the problem. Doxie cyclines and antibatic. It treats deals with the bacteria, and we're and we're good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, several doses of doctor, several doses.
Speaker 1: It's like it's yeah, don't just like take one.
Speaker 2: Well, I mentioned that because there are there are pediatricians who will recommend a prophylactic doxie cycling dose with any tick bite, Like no ration, you got a tick bite, just like take a doxy cyclin. There's not good randomized trial ev it's to support that. So just you might hear it, But that's there is.
Speaker 1: There is a more complicated question about if your child has been exposed to a tick, should you take the full dose of doxi cyclin as if you have been And there's also some debate.
Speaker 2: Of antibiotics.
Speaker 1: So okay, So that's like the sort of I know what's happening. I've fixed the problem in the short term. Fine. It is much more complicated if you have gotten to this later potential phase, particularly if you're not sure it was a tick. So think about the case in which someone's bitten by a tick, the tick is on for a long time, the tick falls off, they don't notice, they never get a rash, and then all of a sudden they have a series of complicated symptoms polsy, nerve pain, disseminated rashes. There's a lot of difference. That's a hard that's a hard diagnostic problem. And the testing here is actually not it's not a single test that for shore tells you what is going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so testing for lime disease, and we're gonna get to this a little bit when we talk about chronic lime disease. So let's carve that out for a minute. Testing relies typically on looking for antibodies against the lime spier key against the bacteria. The FDA and the CDC recommend a two tiered testing system, so they have you do an initial test that is fairly sensitive, so it's going to look like really it'll pick up kind of anything, so a high false positive rate but also a high true positive rate an initial test. If that's positive, then you move on to a secondary test that's more specific, and there's a couple of different approved tests for that, and putting those two things together in an approved laboratory gets you a pretty high ability to detect, but not perfect to detect the disease. I think it's something like, you know, you would detect eighty percent of them, eighty percent of positive infections, and you'd have a false positive rate of like ten percent or so, so it's not terrible, not perfect. What the problem is that they're is an entire ecosystem of unlicensed testing for lime disease and labs that use different thresholds for these antibody levels, which can give rise to false positive rates north of fifty percent. We'll talk about why this ecosystem exists. You mentioned at the beginning that the story of lime is really a story about doctors and patients not seeing eye to eye and a lot of doctors not listening to their patients. And whenever that happens, people come in to fill that void, and some are very well intentioned and some are not so well intentioned. So we'll get there. Testing's not perfect, but not bad.
Speaker 1: It can miss early on. I mean, antibody tests can miss early on. They can also pick up in like past infection because antibodies maintain for a long time. So not perfect, but there is some testing you can do. This is generally not something you would do. If somebody shows up with a standard rash, they're just given the DICI cycline and.
Speaker 2: Those people just treat. I know some docs who will treat and test too, just to like have it in the record or something. But yeah, I think if you, you know, you come up with a rash like that.
Speaker 1: You're getting You're not waiting.
Speaker 2: You're waiting.
Speaker 1: You're not waiting in part because the test is most likely to be a false negative early on, before you've mentioned an antibody response, which is why we're giving you the yeah datty cycling. Okay, So before we get into the chronic lime space, I want to ask you a question, Actually I want to I'm not going to ask you. I'm going to ask the Health Secretary of America a question, okay, about whether lime is a bioweapon. Let's hear what he has to say.
Speaker 4: Clearly, COVID nineteen pandemic and many other global pandemics that we have have come from in a functional research. The RSV epidemics that we have that is the biggest killer of kids in this country today came from these kind of experiments. The lime disease almost certainly came from this kind of research.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it sounds like it sounds like maybe, yes, tell me where this came from.
Speaker 2: I have to admit that until I heard RFK Junior say that lime disease is a result of gain of function research and in other places he's described it as like a literal bioweapon, I kind of didn't know this story, and it's really fascinating. So let me let me walk you through why this is like remotely a thing at all, and also tell you why I think it's not a bioweapon. So this all starts in two thousand and four. There's a book by guy named Michael Carroll it's called Lab two fifty seven about the Plumb Island Animal Disease Center, which is on the eastern tip of Long Island. And yes, there is an animal disease research center on the eastern tip of Long Island. And yes they study animal diseases and some tickborne diseases. And lime Connecticut is just across the sound from there. But that's sort of mostly where that story stops, like, we don't have evidence that they were doing any particular experiments with limee there. However, remember Burgdorfer, the guy who discovered Barellia, burgdorf Ride, who discovered the spire keat, so he actually did work at a government facility that did study tickborne diseases. Let me see if I can find the name for you. So it was a program called Rocky Mountain Labs. It was indeed an entomological warfare program. So the US government was interested in, like, hey, can we have insects spread.
Speaker 1: Diseases by the way, a thing which definitely has happened in the past. I mean, this is how we got malaria. I mean the spread all the.
Speaker 2: Time insect spread diseases, but we didn't we have a blaria. But yes, biological warfare has happened. There are some, okay, but that's all we have. So we've got the guy who studied tick diseases was also working at the government studying tick diseases. Like of course he was like, if you're going to develop this program, like, maybe you have a guy who knows about tick diseases. But here's the issue with all of this theory is that lime disease was identified in the nineteen seventies. These programs that they're talking about were maybe open in the late in the sixties, but actually lime disease has been around way longer than that. So we have direct evidence of lime disease infection in whitefooted mice from museum specimens. So you go in back of these like little museums and you test the whitefooted mice, and at least as early as eighteen ninety eight we have lime disease in mice. So this is long before the government had any type of biological warfare weapon. The other source of evidence is that genetic sequencing can tell you how diverse Burrellia burgdor fry is. If Burrellia burdorfry were released at a discrete time, let's say in nineteen seventy to in Lime, Connecticut. I don't know why we're doing it, but let's do it. Let's let's affect the people of Lime the genetic similarity because it's only been what fifty years, it would be highly genetically similar to itself as its spread because it had a point source in time. And in fact, it's very diverse, and there are all sorts of methods to tell how long something has been around. And the thoughts are actually that Burrelli Burgdorfry has a long lineage going back millions of years in mammalian species.
Speaker 1: This is also the dumbest animal like inst to use for a bioweapon, Like mosquitoes are of just a much better, clearly much better bioweapon, right tics, And you've got to leave it on for like two days?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you had you had one job, evil scientists.
Speaker 1: Well, let me think, I've got this animal that flies around and bites you immediately, or I have this other one then crawls around and you have to leave on for Oh we're going to go with the crawler. Uh, well, could go wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally, I think So it's not a bioweapon. I guess the question I have for you is like, so why you know so these coincidences, It's hard not to see similar things with COVID nineteen. I'm not getting into lab leak versus not lab leak, but like, you know, there's a virological institute near the place where the epidemic starts. I guess there's a resonance there with lime disease although it's across Long Island. Sound. I don't know why you don't just do it on Long Island, but whatever, But like, is it because lime disease is scary? You know, we know it can have these long term effects potentially, and believing that and that quote from RFK, like he mentioned lime diseas mentioned RSV, he mentioned COVID. All of these things is like potential bioweapons or gain function research, like the result of human human messin with nature. And in some way I'm getting put in my non psychologist talent. In some ways, it's satisfying to people to be like, well, if all these bad things out there that could happen at any time, my kid could get RSV and could be terrible, if they're the result of human mouthfeasance, then there is a future where we can stop that mouthfeasance right, like the good guys can win, whereas if not, if this stuff just happens randomly and like stuff evolves and all of a sudden, we have a pandemic, like we have no control over that. Is that what's attractive about I.
Speaker 1: Think it's simpler than that. I think it's that people like explanations, and so people want to understand why things are happening, and they want to understand why bad things happen, and the explanation of just like animals have diseases and sometimes you get them is not actually a super satisfying explanation. It's much better to have an explanation like it is, because I mean, I think it's the same reason why people like this idea that there's a conspiracy between you know, big Pharma and big food to give your kids diabetes, as opposed to just saying like food companies are trying to sell stuff and people like to buy delicious food, Like, you know, there's a lot in here where it would be nice to have someone to blame because it would help you organize and understand the world of why bad stuff happens. And I think that's related to the good and evil, but I think almost like just one rung down of complication. I also think in the case of lime, and maybe it's a good pivot to the chronic lime discussion, it lends itself well because of the origin story. Because the origin story is people were being ignored. A lot of the current discussion has focused on this question of like is chronic lime?
Speaker 2: Are people still being ignored?
Speaker 1: People still being ignored with this thing, and so to sort of have in the middle, it's not surprising that it's like we're being ignored. And also, by the way, this is the fault of you know, this DoD scientist.
Speaker 2: So all right, so let's turn to chronic lime disease. And I think we have to define our terms before we get too deep in this because they are going to be people listening who are like, what are you talking about? So first of all, I will say that earlier I talked about late disseminated lime disease. So the lime disease, untreated lime disease that can cause you know, joint swelling, heart problems, nerve problems, brain problems. In some sense, that's chronic lime disease. You've had it for a long time, not years, but you've had it for you know whatever, a few weeks or something. It hasn't been treated and you get these di few symptoms, but that's late disseminated lime disease. That is not what we mean we say chronic lime disease. Medically speaking, the most people will refer to a syndrome called post treatment lime disease syndrome, which is what it sounds like. You had lime disease that was documented, it was treated, your post treatment, and you still have something wrong with you, which is not how this is supposed to go. This is a bacterial infection. You should get antibiotics and be better. That's how these things are supposed to work. But post treatment lime disease syndrome exists. We'll talk about what those symptoms can be, and we need to begin to understand how this weird bacteria can affect your body downstream, even after it's dead. Chronic lime disease, though, is a catchier term than post treatment lime disease syndrome, and not only encompasses post treatment lime disease syndrome people who documented lime treated still sick, but also a much larger group of people potentially without documented lime without a known tick bite sometimes who also have long term symptoms, and they can get caught up in this lime disease ecosystem for a variety of reasons, including the testing issues that we talked about, and the chronic lime disease ecosystem is filled with some very good practitioner who know a lot about infectious disease and lime disease and other tickmore illnesses, and some charlatans unfortunately, And I.
Speaker 1: Think this space is so hard to talk about. It's so hard to talk about because there are many people who are genuinely suffering and who really deserve better answers and research, and there are also things that are being wildly over sold. And there's a balance between not wanting to say, you know, you are being oversold this thing which is not going to fix your problems, and saying you have no problems. And I think people here you have no problems. This is all in your head. This is like a classic like chronic anything in particularly for women here, so frequently this is on your head, This is all on your head. And then people it's not surprising that people would go out and search for someone who is going to take their very real concerns and This is why we actually need to see what the data says and why this deserves more research rather than being left to you know, Charlotte and who are taking advantage of people suffering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, So let me just talk about the symptoms. Yeah, here's the problem.
Speaker 1: They're everything.
Speaker 2: It's there's a lot of different symptoms that are lumped into both post treatment lime disease syndrome and chronic lime disease. Fatigue, brain fog, joint pain, intermittent rashes, gastrointestinal distress, psychological discernments, depression, mania, psychosis, so hallucinations, and you know these can be debilitating the air people who are unable to walk because of these issues. And yet those are also symptoms that can occur from a lot of other diseases, including other infectious diseases. And there is not a clear diagnostic test or either post treatment lime disease syndrome or chronic lime disease. So we have a bad case definition. And one of the problems with like this comes up with the long COVID discussion a lot. I've criticized the case definition for long COVID because when a case definition isn't narrow, it actually becomes harder to study. And when people were making the case definition for long COVID, everyone was so concerned about having a big tent, right, like, it can be long COVID, if you're tired, it can be long COVID. If you have postural attack cardio syndrome, it can be long COVID, if you have brain fog. It was so diffuse that it actually was difficult to study because you look at biomarker differences and people with and without long COVID, and like they all look the same. But the people with long COVID, it's this very heterogeneous group. So sometimes you actually want a case definition that's super tight, even if it'll exclude people from diagnosis, so that you can actually figure out what the testing should be. And that wasn't done for long COVID. It wasn't done for chronic line.
Speaker 1: And I think in the case of chronic lime, you know, and in some ways you would think, okay, so part of that should be you know, tick bite and basic like some evidence that you have had acute lime disease. But since our tests for this are potentially false positive, potentially we have a lot of false positives and potentially some false negatives, and because sometimes you get bitten by a tick and then you don't it falls off and you don't know that actually can't be a or at least that's not necessarily a perfect diagnostic criteria. So by leaving the tent open, we don't have a we don't even have that, which would seem like the basic yeah, the sort of first basic yeah.
Speaker 2: And again you know the pathway for this is you start with the narrow case definition, then you get your diagnostic tests, then you expand those to other people with more like without as classic symptoms, and then you can enlarge the tent. I said several times there's an ecosystem here, and I think what people need to be aware of is, okay, I have if you're in an ambiguous state, you don't remember a tick bite, you didn't have a rash, but you're feeling all these vague symptoms. You can get sort of funneled into, often through social media or through the Internet, to a self described group of practitioners called lime literate doctors. And this is another term that's way too broad because there I know plenty of infectious disease doctors who would call themselves lime literate. I mean, especially here in Connecticut, we have great infectious disease doctors who know everything there is about my giant table of tick porn illnesses. Then there are sort of self described lime literate doctors who are part of this almost like a more shadowy medical adjacent ecosystem. And the reason I keep saying ecosystem is because these doctors refer to each other, so there's there's a sort of circular nature there. These doctors send blood tests to specific labs, so sort of lime literate labs, which often lack FDA clear and sometimes lack clear certification. These labs will run tests that are research tests on the blood to look for evidence of lime disease, look for evidence of the spiralkeat, and often will find evidence. But again we're very concerned about false positives because these are research tests and they set the thresholds for detection very low. There's a lot of cross reactivity, and I've seen patients kind of get drawn into this. They start with vague symptoms, then they get a confirmatory test that tells them they have lime disease, and they go down a treatment pathway which can actually be quite dangerous. Again, this is not to say that they don't have real symptoms. It's not even to say that they don't have lime disease.
Speaker 1: It's just not.
Speaker 2: The safe path to obtain the diagnosis and get the right treatments.
Speaker 1: And there is a treatment that is very common and has been tested repeatedly and doesn't work. So the most common treatment for this is like IVY antibiotics or very high dose, long term, long term IVY antibiotics. And you know, there's a trial in the New England Journal of Medicine which does not see any differences in health related quality of life with people who are given your long term antibiotics versus a shorter course. And this is a long term I mean people are on these antibiotics for like months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and at a time. The risks of long term intravenous antibiotics are quite quite high, just to say them out loud. You've got an indwelling catheter, so some right, you got to infuse it somehow. Pickline a central line of some kind that's breaking the skin, so that increases the risk of skin borne bacteria getting into your bloodstream and causing sepsis. You're getting antibiotics, which increases your risk for seedficile, that bad diarrheal infection that happens when you kill off your good, healthy gut bacteria and the bad evil bacteria takeover. You dramatically increase your risk for candida infections. So yeast doesn't get killed by traditional bacteria. If you take an antibiotic, you're at high risk for yeast infections. But those yeast infections can happen in the blood in people with indwelling lines, and they're a disaster. I mean, they really are life threatening. So this approach to therapy is super dangerous. And as you said, there's not just one randomized trial of this in chronic lime disease. There's multiple randomized trials. So some people got placebo and some people got long term intravenous antibiotics, and there's no difference in outcomes. It just doesn't work. And it's one of the red flags I have for people that are going through this and who are you know, seeing a practitioner that's diagnosing them this way. If they get to the point where they want to put a line in you and give you several months of antibiotics, that's really time to get a second opinion. I really think that's a red flag.
Speaker 1: And I mean I think that the truth is of course there people will say, well I did this and it helped.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, look on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, the placebo effect is really really powerful effect. That is why we need randomized trial data, and especially in a case like this where the potential downsides are very, very very real. He is very important to make these decisions based on actual trial data. This is not you know, taking a sugar pill and just using the placebo effect for.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There's also some confirmation bias that I've seen happen. So you know, you get your antibiotics and you feel better, Okay, great, that's confirmation that it worked. You get your antibox and you feel worse because you get diarrhea or one of the other many side effects from antibiotic use. There are people say, oh, that's the Gerrish Herzheimer reaction or the community called it jerksing. This is a true thing. So any spira keat for whatever reason when you kill it with so the other common one is syphalis. When you either kill syphlis or lime disease acute lime disease with an antibiotic, the spier keats lies and they release a lot of inflammatory stuff and for about twenty four hours you can get like fevers and chills and stuff. It's more commonly described in syphilis with initial treatment. So that happens in acute limes or can in a subset of people with acute lime disease. But there's there's no real reason to think it would happen in chronic lime disease because we can't isolate the bacteria. Like it's not like we can see the bacteria in your blood that's floating around. It's not there, you know. The tests don't show that, so it's not lising. So but what people will, they'll just attribute any negative symptom to jerk saying, and any positive symptom to getting better, and it becomes this self reinforcing thing. And by the way, here's another red flag if you're seeing one of these practitioners, if they're not taking your insurance. Okay, if you're paying out of pocket for this. These intravenous infusions can cost thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars. And I've seen patients who do it for three months, maybe they feel better, they stop, they feel worse again. They do it for another three months, it can be really financially devastating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think the last thing I would just want to end on in this in this discussion I think we're going to answer these questions is you know, people are going this route because the medical system has failed them. And so it's I think fine to it's reasonable to say, you know, you shouldn't go this route, but to just say you shouldn't go this route and whatever, so just like live with it is also terrible correct. And so I think there are there was real research that needs to happen, and I think some of it is happening, but you know, real things they need to be done, and people do need to be listened to, and if they were listened to, it would potentially close some of this uh.
Speaker 2: Distrust exactly that exists. Absolutely. Actually, just today I saw HHS had announced a series of new initiatives towards lime disease, including some research funding directed towards understanding these long term post treatment syndromes. That's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ross douth that, by the way, has a very good book called The Deep Places. Ross is a columnist for The Times. You had had chronic lime and it's it's an interesting book to read because you know, this is a very broadly scientifically minded person who goes in directions that I think he would even he would say, we're very unscientific and experimental just in a curve, and you can sort of feel the like, I just need to figure out something to fix this because it is ruining my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the desperation, the desperation, and doctors are you know, I'll tell you from a from a physician standpoint, it is it's really hard to not be able to offer a patient something. You know, they come in and it's like, you know, they're having all this stuff and I can do these tests and if I'm not coming up with anything, it feels terrible. But the truth is those are the places where research is most needed, and until that good, high quality research is done, we are going to see a parallel ecosystem emerge. It's it's sort of the natural thing. People are going to offer solutions, and I don't want to discourage people from exploring any potential solution, with the potential exception of long term entreveno standouts, because they really can be so harmful and potentially fatal. So that's the that's the only one that I really do worry about in this space. Otherwise, we just have to do better. Listen to your patients, work through if you have to go symptom by symptom, go symptom by symptom, get them to the right specialists. Figure out other mechanisms, other solutions to this.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to end on a more positive note, which is about the vaccine. So you know a lot of people, specifically my husband asked me three times a week why there's no lime disease vaccine because he hates sticks.
Speaker 2: My dog gets a vaccine, jo your dog.
Speaker 1: Gets one, and amazingly we used to have one. So there was a there was a lime disease vaccine called Limericks, which was pulled off the market in two thousand and two. It did work, there was a litigation backdrop. People said they're autoimmune side effects. They just decided it was I don't think it made enough money. Honestly, people didn't. People didn't want it. But it's bad, not that, but something else. There's a new lime diseased vaccine that just complete completed its trial in March. Seventy three percent efficacy against infection the confidence interval is enormous, sixteen to ninety three percent, very big. Not enough people in your trial cases. But but you know, it seems like we are moving the direction of having this, so Jesse hopefully soon for you lime disease. And let me say one other thing before we smash our past our ticks, which is you should be avoiding ticks moving away from lime disease you want.
Speaker 2: To avoid, Yeah, to get started.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the two things about avoiding ticks. One is there's stuff comes in an orange spray bottle you can spray and it's called pirethron oh permethrin, and you can spray your clothes with it. That's a really good idea if you're going to be hiking in tickborn areas, because it like repels the ticks off your clothing. Okay, that's a really good idea. Bugs spread also works. DT is fine, it's not poison. You can use it also perfects you. It's mosquitoes. And you should check people for tics. In your family. You should check each other for tics. It's not gonna fix your powasen problem. But for lime taking ticks off if you see them as good and so you should check yourself. There's also a really good country song with.
Speaker 2: That lyric, check yourself for tics.
Speaker 1: No, it's like I want the lyric is I want to check you for tics? And you know it's romantic. I guess poor play.
Speaker 2: Sure, primates do groom each other?
Speaker 1: All right, Perry, are you a smash? Are you a smash? Your pass on tics?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna pass on tics. I think you should stay away from them. I think they should stay away from us. You know, I don't know ecologically, do they have some role?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: I like, if I could snap my fingers and eliminate all ticks, would it cause some horrible like would then all of a sudden, like all the ducks would die? I don't know, but yeah, pass How about you.
Speaker 1: Emily, I'm a I'm a pass on tics. Yeah, I'm a pass on them. That's very cool. Controversial, controversial, controversial, take don't like ticks?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: When we come back your question of the week and we're back with our question of the week. If you have a question for us, drop us a line at Wellness actually dot FM or mail bag. Question of the week is here.
Speaker 3: Hey, Emily and Perry, This is Nate from a Kansas uh, simple question, is VO two max a good indicator of overall health? Fix?
Speaker 2: Okay, Emily v O two max. This is right down the middle for an Emily Oster question, what is VO two max? What do you think my VO two max is? What is your VO two max? And how good is it as an indicat overall health?
Speaker 1: Amazing? Okay, so VO two I'm made for this question. So, votwo max is the highest amount of oxygen that your body can use during hard exercise. So it is a measure of how well your heart and lungs and muscles working together. Is the vias volume? O two is oxygen, so max is means the maximum?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So it is a common metric of like aerobic fitness. Hire is better, hire is better, higher is better. It goes down with age. And the reason this gets a lot of attention is if you ran a regression, like an analysis of like lunge, so looked at correlations between longevity and many other many metrics, you would have this loads the strongest. So this is like the highest value predictor of things like longevity that we have. Okay, interesting, Yeah, And overall strength beats it beats like finger strength. Although finger strength. We can get another episode how stupid that is. But this is really it beats you know, resting heart rate. It beats like bmib like it's really really good, Okay, And so what people like to interpret that as like, you know, if I changed this, it would be really beneficial. I think that that's too far. I think the issue is that this is something that moves very readily with a lot of the kinds of behaviors we know are effective. So this is a this is something you can move pretty easily with exercise. And so even when people who don't exercise at all exercise for small amounts, you will already move their VO two max. And so it's just like a very sensitive measure. And so that's why the correlation is so good. But and so there are many things that you could do to move this which would probably be good for you. But like if just one day you woke up and nothing else had change and all of a sudden, your VIEO two max was highed, Like, that's probably not makingful. What's a good number?
Speaker 2: How do I measure it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you have a wearable it will measure it will give you a kind of correlationally appropriate but noisy and kind of garbage like, but like you're wearable to measure this if you really want to measure this, like you're in the you know, cycling on or whatever. Yeah, you got to get on a like you get on a on a treadmill with a mask on, and then you like run to exhaustion and that will measure your vo your vo two max.
Speaker 2: Don't threaten me with a good time people.
Speaker 1: People don't really people don't really do that. There's no reason to do that. But if you have a wearable they'll like and you start exercising more. This is a number of people will see move. It's like a good motivator. I would guess yours is like forty five is okay?
Speaker 2: What's yours?
Speaker 1: Fifty five?
Speaker 2: Oh, all right, that's fine. I don't really know what that means, but I'm flattered that you're going to give me ninety percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, you know, truly like exceptional elite athletes will be like the eighties, but that would be like very unusual. This sort of average for people is in the thirties.
Speaker 2: Have you done the full mask?
Speaker 1: No, No, I didn't. I did consider it, but I had trouble finding a lab because I'm crazy, and I ultimately decided there was no point in knowing that number except to tell you to say it on a podcast and just noigher than I am. I'm regretting it, but I was able to I was able to assert that I was ten point higher than you with no evidence.
Speaker 2: Emily and I are doing a VO two max competition. I will probably die. That's it for us today. We are actually off. Next week we'll be rerunning a classic episode. It's definitely worth a listen, enjoy the end of the summer.
Speaker 1: It was great to see in person today, and I want to thank the audio engineer here at Eale, Ryan McAvoy.
Speaker 2: Thanks Ryan.
Speaker 1: Wellness Actually is produced in association with iHeartMedia. Our senior producer is Tamar Avishei. Our executive producer at iHeart is Jennifer Bassett. Our theme music is by Eric Deutsch, and our content is for educational purposes only.
Speaker 2: If you like the show, help other people find us, leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts or your podcatcher of choice, and help us spread the word about the show. You can follow us on Instagram at Wellness Actually pod and don't forget we want to hear from you, head over to Wellness Actually dot fm and leave us a question for our mailbag or suggest a topic for a future show.
Speaker 1: We'll let the influencers have the last word.
Speaker 4: You see class my line, disease turned out to be psychosomatic.
Speaker 1: Does that mean you're crazy? Oh, that means he was faking it. No, actually it was a little of both.