Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of NBA Champions The Trendver Nuggets.
Speaker 2: Aka I Need to Go.
Speaker 1: Trend courtesy of super Producer on Josie The NBA Champion TREMBERR. Nuggets courtesy of Paul Garaventa PG. Yeah, I'm Jack, that's Miles.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is our second crack at it. The first one was two dynamic. We were blowing dynamic. It was it was blowing the microphones out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I feel like uh Jokic energy has taken the Internet by storm. I feel like a lot of people just watched the final game of the Finals and are like, wait, this guy is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Shit. They're like, does this guy give a shit that he just won. It's like, I don't know. I mean, yeah he does, but also he just I guess. Let's just play the operative clip when he's being asked about, Hey, excited for the parade and he's like, what, well parade coming up in Denver Man's parade? When is the pray? When is pray Thursday? No? No, I need to go home. Okay, Han's over his eyes.
Speaker 1: Worst news we got in that day is that there's going to be a championship parade. He went and fucked everything up and went and won the damn thing, and now he has to go to a damn championship parade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's half performance, are half like sincerely leaning into your feelings and not just doing the media trained thing about being like, yeah, it's going to be great to celebrate with all the fans you know in our town. Or he's just going I gotta go home, man. Yeah, he like.
Speaker 1: There's also a great five second video clip of him celebrating the championship by shaking champagne in the most half hearted way that anybody has ever done that, and then it.
Speaker 2: Felt contractually obligated. Yes, I think we need to get the champagne. Yeah. I think he's just like, there's just something cool about being so good at something and then outwardly being like and I don't give a fuck, you know what I mean? And then I think also his energy is big, like people like just hating their job. Yeah, I want to everyone connect to that one.
Speaker 1: The job hating king this guy, but he's just fun. Like one time, I think we talked about it on Miles and Jack on Matt Boost. He's like, during the second round they had won the first two games in a series against Phoenix, and someone was like, so, do you you expect them now to like come out with more energy in game three, and he gave an answer to the effect of no, my friend, I think they'll surrender and give us the wins.
Speaker 2: It was just very like dead pan.
Speaker 1: He seems like a genuinely funny, weird person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, player, No, they're going to surrender and fall down.
Speaker 1: Anna read on this is that my thoughts that he's like leaning into this for comedic effect are incorrect. She said, you have spend enough time with an immigrant dad who has to go home, which, yeah, maybe the case.
Speaker 2: I get it to him for someone who's not American like and who is famously being like, when I'm not here, I go back to Serbia with my horses. Big for to be bro, I'm trying to get back to these Horses's no offense to Denver, but I'm about these horses.
Speaker 1: They need to let him ride the horses, like ride in his little horse sled that has built for people like one third his size down the main street of Denver.
Speaker 2: That's right. He makes a Clydesdale look like a quarter horse when he's on top of it.
Speaker 1: Where's big news For those of us who love the Disney live action remakes. Sarah Polly, you know, one of our most promising young up and coming directors, directed Women Talking this year.
Speaker 2: From the movie Go nineteen Obviously.
Speaker 1: Actor and now director won An Oscar for the screenplay for Women Talking Could Have Any Job, and is currently in talks to direct the live action Bambi for Disney.
Speaker 2: This sucks, Miles No, no, look, I get Lion King, I get Jungle Book, I even get Little Mermaid to an extent, because you're not You're not hanging out in the tropical ocean looking at crabs that close. Most of us have seen a deer. Yeah you know what I mean, and like they are very low energy. Although I might be saying I don't like this because Bambi was one of those original films like traumatized me because I didn't like the like when the mom gets got you know in the beginning, that like fucked me up. So in a way, I'm also averse to Bambi because I don't like I don't like that part.
Speaker 1: One of the most reliant, i'd say probably the most reliant of the Disney animations. On the animals being able to emote and be like anthropomorphized and seem friendly and adorable and not just look like they are in a nature documentary. And as of yet, if The Little Mermaid is any indication, I haven't seen it, but we interview film expert Daniel O'Brien on tomorrow's episode and he did see it and confirmed that just having Nature documentary style animals whose lips move like they're talking is continues to be a problem for these live action Disney movies. I can't image unless they have some technology that they figured out to make a little rabbit have the personality of Thumper, Like they just need to skip this one.
Speaker 2: Or what if it's heavy like Sarah Pauly's like, y'all do it well, Like just like I'm talking about like these like isolated men to night women, We're gonna go there with Bambi and it just fucks kids up. I mean, then maybe I'll be in for that. And like the opening, Oh my god, like the Mother Game kills, it's like super gruesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get to see them like clean the deer and yeah, it goes back just a it's like the Barbie thing. It's like an existentialist thing where the animals become self aware and they're like, ah, what and then like.
Speaker 2: They team up to kill the hunters next time. They're like, yeah, okay, let's get them this time.
Speaker 1: Maybe this could be the movie that we've been pitching where all the animals you it's okay, it's the happening meets Jaws and birds combined. The animals turn on humanity. Why has this not happened yet?
Speaker 2: And it's just called Bambi.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's in the works, it's called Bambi.
Speaker 2: It also feels like this thing like studios do this a lot too, where they take someone who's like not necessarily a blockbuster director, like an Indie Darling type director, and then they put them at the helm of a super high budget film. Yeah, because to also give like, you know, any kind of like have a fall person too, Like if the things don't go right, they're like, well, I mean, obviously this young directors that was the problem, not our idea. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Colin Trevorroh was like this director who made this really small movie called Safety Not Guaranteed that was like kind of like a mumble core time travel thing, but it like really the whole charm of it was that like you felt like you were watching like a small indie film and then there were like these fantastical elements built into it, and like the lack of effects and the lack of like, you know, glossiness kind of played into what was good about that movie. And they took him from that and were like, you're directing Jurassic World now, and your job is to just say yes to all of our notes, right, and like that seems to be the genuine like direction that a lot of careers go, and like that that seems to be like I'm all for, you know, mixing in the blockbusters.
Speaker 2: I love blockbusters.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of times they're they're great. But like when you're taking really promising young talent and being like your job is to let the marketing department direct to your film, like that's kind of a fucking bummer that that's, you know, a direction that some careers are taking that could otherwise be promising. So hopefully Sarah Paul is just in talks and is not doesn't sign on and.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah and gohr, Sarah Poul advocate for the movie you want to make. Yeah, Yeah, Like we're thinking, are there even songs. What are the songs in Bambi? I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I feel like it was just a pretty straightforward snuff film about Bambi's mom and my memory, because like that's.
Speaker 2: The thing that sticks. I know there's Thumperumper, and I know the mom gets killed in the beginning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then but it's really just a lot of like the cutest animated animals you've ever seen, like batting their like literally batting their eyelashes at.
Speaker 2: You, right, yeah, exactly. Can you imagine? It's like they do it all real. It's like the deer got like gunk in its eyes and shit, I mean like like wipe your face off of Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jack Smith, he's given Jacks He's put Jacks back in the spotlight, and I'm psyched Jack Baby.
Speaker 2: Li Borrough, Jesus Layne, He's the new lib savior and look he's going after Trump for the stolen documents. If you if you haven't heard but people again, we'll talk about it on tomorrow show. Like there's March coming out. People are loving the Jack Smith vibes. You see people display names changing to like Jacksmith's stand account. But this one line of reporting is getting a lot of love from the Jack Smith fans. Hugo Lol of The Guardian and other people who are in the court room said that mister Smith sat in the front road during Trump's arraignment on federal charges of documents after leaving the White House out of and quote stared towards the former president for essentially the entire appearance. O's mad dogging Trump.
Speaker 1: Dudes, what if he's just a big fan though, Like, what if he's.
Speaker 2: Really into him? He's like, what's he gonna do? Getting cold too, He's like, Oh, does this guy really deserve it?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: God, is he gonna kick my ass? This guy's gonna kick my ass? Man, I know what, Jack, I'm sorry, broak coward.
Speaker 1: That would be amazing. We'll look at a clip of him on tomorrow's episode. But I think he needs to give more doing all of this big grudgingly lately.
Speaker 2: Yo, kicch energy? Yeah, I mean yeah, or have the energy of being like, man, they're not gonna they're not gonna fucking find him guilty. Yeah, he consequences, Okay, yeah, all right. He's like, look, I got an ironclad case, but that shit won't matter anyway. Let's home. I want to go home. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back and the UPS, the UPS as the UPS teams three unions have finally got the company to agree to adding air conditioning to delivery vehicles. This is something we've been fighting for a while now, Yeah, and especially since last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're a UPS driver died, you know, because of the heat heat stroke. There are other people who have said they've had like terrible health outcomes because UPS's policy is like you got to turn the car off when you're not using it at a red light or whatever to not waste gas. And it's like then you will not have a c on if you have to turn the fucking car off. And then now they're like adding their saying like well that heat shields too, to like we get that the engine also make heat and that's not good for human bodies. So you know, they're doing the bare minimum. They still haven't ratified a new agreement, so you know, we'll see where that goes, because that would be a gigantic, massive disruptive strike if they if they if they went that way. But again, that's what you gotta do when you when you know when you gotta treat your workers with you know, the bare minimum, give them a fair wage, or not expect them to cook in a fucking car when we're facing this kind of fucked up climate change every day.
Speaker 1: People who are anti union, I'm just always like, how do you how do you spin this one? When the union's like, could you just like not bake them alive? Like could we do that?
Speaker 2: The people who I know who are like not all in on unions are the most non confrontational I don't want to rock the boat type of people. Sure, yeah too, Like personally who I've like talked about and they're like, well, why would they? I'm like, because this because that's how you get shit.
Speaker 1: This is the only way that the company will protect the physical fucking safety of the people who literally drive their business.
Speaker 2: And it's also people who are typically in areas of work that they're doing well and there's no concept of like, well why would you, Oh well I wouldn't do that. It's like, yeah, because you're a fucking you have somebody advanced degree and you're like, a you have a lot of money. Yeah, And also something I mean we've talked a lot of.
Speaker 1: Delivery driving recently and we talked to a Domino's delivery driver, and I think Christy Amagucci Mame was was pointing out to us that, like, delivery driver is an incredibly dangerous job, just like being a driver in general out on the roads.
Speaker 2: But yeah, delivery driver is really dangerous.
Speaker 1: You're out there with other cars, You're out there with racist and well armed Americans. Like it's yea.
Speaker 2: Again, it's more you are more likely to suffer injury or death than a police officer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because police officers, I mean not just because, but like police officers have strong unions that fucking work on their behalf.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately in that case.
Speaker 1: All right, Reddit, the Reddit blackouts are going down, still going down.
Speaker 2: Can't get to some of my favorite subreddits. There's a big protest happening. Yeah, Jack, and we're not fans, just get no, they don't like protests.
Speaker 1: So over two and a half billion Reddit users have gone dark on the platform in protest of recent API changes, where basically, like Reddit has always had trouble making money, like they still seem to be stuck on like just old like banner ad.
Speaker 2: Type dude, like just like on Reddit to the point where like you like people will get hostile, like just not wanting to see them, and like they get no engagement. But yeah, I get why people want to advertise it because so many people go on to Reddit, but it don't work in that way.
Speaker 1: And you know, they just have an extremely savvy, like user base who is probably more ad averse than the average user base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's all to do with like API access and so how someone who uses a third party application that isn't made by Reddit, how they can communicate with the Reddit service and their servers. And a lot of moderators who mod subreddits use third party apps like Apollo is a really popular one. Reddit is Fun is like another popular one. And so basically what's happening is Reddit is charging like a fee for the amount of requests that come through from like a third party app to Reddit, and they're monetizing on that. So the head of Apollo is basically saying, look, with the amount of requests that come like through our app, we'd basically be paying two million dollars a month. It would go from free to yeah exactly. And Reddit's like, well, we're gonna have some like you know, there'll be other apps that fall under this like free API agreement, but the most heavily used ones aren't those, And a lot of people talk about how like if you have like vision impairment or other things like that, like the Reddit app doesn't have sort of features that would help for something like that app. The native one is not fucking that great. So it's caused like a blackout, and like many you know, subreddits have been like are we are we gonna join in? Other people have been like what's the point of doing it for two days? Like if nothing's going to change? And other people are like should we do it longer? And it is I get like why you know this is something to keep an eye on, because yeah, they're just trying to figure out how to just extract more money out. But I guess for them, they're like, we don't need these third party apps like taking the content of Reddit and being able to monetize that in their own way, so now you give us money Reddit.
Speaker 1: It feels like the one we've talked before about how like the Internet eventually needs to be treated to the public utility, Like you know, so many jobs that would be created because there's so many like moderation, content moderation, just like fact checking all these things that currently don't exist on the Internet and make it like a very dangerous place for humans, for especially the elderly who aren't aren't savvy enough to know what's real and what is. Like Reddit feels like it's the closest to just like that would be an easy hit. Just have a government budget that could go towards keeping Reddit alive. It's a public humility, Yeah, just make it a public utility. It's like, just be like, this is the front page of the Internet. Like it doesn't make money because the people like don't. It doesn't fit into any like real profit model. So let's just fucking you pay for it with taxpayer dollars and use that money to actually have it be moderated and functional. Like, I feel like that would be a good idea that everybody would be on board with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, everything's just about making money now, and you know, when you don't have a good way to make money from advertising, they're just now saying, well, then why don't we just screw over people who like work for free to make this place even worth visiting. That's why it's all very fucked up and like a lot of people like all over the place with how committed they are to a blackout, Like I saw like in the Denver Nuggets subreddit. They're like, the blackout coincides with us about to win an NBA championship and this is my only community to communicate to other Nuggets fans and like at least to celebrate, and they're like, fuck it, we ain't going dark, Like executive decision. We got to celebrate this w together. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like whoever's organizing the blackout just needs to be like, we got to give it to these Nuggets fans, Guys like they haven't ever had anything their first to celebrate.
Speaker 2: This is awesome. All right.
Speaker 1: Well, those are some of the things that are trending on this Wednesday, June fourteenth. We are back tomorrow with a whole lest episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bright Bye.