Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 3: In a bright egg Frida Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg, Frida Egg Egg, Frida Egg brid Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Friday Egg Golf Podcast. I'm your host, Andy Johnson, and today it's the end of the PGA Tour regular season, is the start of the playoffs, one of the last playoffs of this format. It has been a minute since I reconvene with Kevin van Valkenberg and Joseph Leamanya from Frida Egg. So we did one of our kind of chats about golf and pro golf and kind of the PGA Tour right now and the big stories from the regular season and for the playoffs. So that's our conversation today. I am up at Traverse City. I will have a new batch of Tom Doak pods. It'll probably just be one pod. We did one pod last time for next week and just generally excited to head into the time of year where we get to explore a lot of different alleys of golf, and I personally get to play more golf. So excited for this time of year here as we had, you know, superintendent in Detroit one time told me, Aaron McMaster said, if I get to August fifteenth, I breathe a sigh of relief because that means that if I haven't killed the grass by now, it won't die, which means for us in the northern part of the United States, this is the best time to play golf. So Aaron mcmas that was a podcast from maybe like five or six years ago. I always think about that date now, August fifteenth. Can we get to August fifteenth? And we're nearing that date. So before we get to Kevin and Joseph, let's talk about our friends over at Shady Rays. If you're serious about your golf game, your vision on the course matters. I can attest to this. You got to be able to see to play golf well. And one of the things that helps me is Shady Ray's golf collection, which they've got these color rush lenses. It enhances the contrast and it helps you track the ball in the air. I noticed this when it's coming down. Now I've started to have some issues seeing the ball. This helps me see it better when it like lowers into the tree line. It helps me read putts better, and it cuts the harsh glare. It has lightweight frames and they stay put through your swing. There's no slipping when you're lining up a putt, also slipping if you decide to where these while you're going for a run. If they're lost or broken, Shady Rays will send you a new pair with their Lost and Broken protection program. So if you drop them in a lake, they replace them. If you knock them off on the card path, they replace them. If you sit on them, they replace them. So go to shadyrays dot com, check out their golf collection and grab a pair with the lost and found, Lost and Broken protection. We've teamed up with Shady Rays to bring you an exclusive offer. Head to shadyrays dot com and use the promo code Fried for forty percent off two pairs of polarized sunglasses. Two plus pairs of polarized sunglasses. Try yourself. The Shades rated five stars by over three hundred thousand people thanks to Shady Rays. All right, let's get to Kevin van Valkenberg and Joseph Leamania Kevin and Joseph. Welcome on. Spend a minute.
Speaker 3: How are you guys, Andy, I had a lovely major season, a lovely playoff in pre playoff season. I'm ready to talk. I'm ready to dish some takes. I know Joseph is too. Thank you for having us back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the Dutch time of the year, playoff season, playoff golf. I know we all love the FedEx Cup playoffs, so excited to get into this.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll just start. I'm being a rude host. I usually dish the ball out, but since you opened the door, Joseph, the prop was one thing. And you know, whenever we talk one thing sponsored to a bunch of things. But Hi, one thing is that we're on the doorstep, we're effectively two. So this is this year and next year, this is our playoff format, and then here it seems to be running to blow this thing up. So as we head into one of these two years of a dead man walking playoff format, I am fascinated just to see how players, media and the PGA tour themselves goes about talking about this year's playoffs in next year's playoffs because they have they have already told us that this playoff format sucks like they did, so brack roll up like sat up there. I think one of his main thesis is, if I remember correctly, from his talk in at the Players this year, when he addressed the entire media, the entire golf world. One of his main themes of his talk was like, we need to create an engaging playoff format, and here we are. We've got two more years of this. What I would I would infer he would refer to as an unengaging playoff format. But we're here. So one of the things that I've just maybe this is just my amusement. Maybe sometimes I like to watch the world burn, but I can't wait to see how everybody tiptoes, broadcasters, everybody tiptoes or not, does it tiptoe around the fact that this playoff format is extremely broken.
Speaker 1: And this isn't one of my main things, Andy, but just in doing some prep for this, one thing that always astounds me. You know, how much money is being distributed over the next three weeks on the PGA tour.
Speaker 2: How much?
Speaker 1: So it's a twenty million dollar pers at the Saint Jude, a twenty million dollar person at the BMW, and then at the end of that, one hundred million gets distributed at the season long like payouts or one hundred million, and it's a forty million dollar pers at the tour championship. So over the next three weeks on the PGA Tour, we're going to have one hundred and eighty million dollars distributed in prize money. Is absolutely same.
Speaker 3: You know what makes me laugh too, Joseph thinking about that is like both Rory and like Shane Lowry just completely shitting on FedEx. The FedEx got playoffs in general, like the Open Championship, Like, yeah, what do I care about like the playoffs?
Speaker 4: Well, like I'm not like trying to get like if.
Speaker 3: You imagine if your roll up and you're trying to figure out the financial sort of tetris that this all requires for the next few years, How do I get a better playoff format but also get a sponsor to pony up all this money for this and you have like two of your bigger name like European players.
Speaker 4: Just absolutely like just detonating it right left.
Speaker 3: If I'm FedEx, I'm sitting here being like why am I kicking in like all this money for this?
Speaker 4: Like why do I want to reup for this. I don't think I do.
Speaker 2: I think it's insane golf. I think we've been on a really great run here. We had a great major season, a wonderful major season, and then rolling into this we have like these excited young winners, which I think we're like the best case scenario for the three M, Rocket Mortgage and Windham Swing. So you have twenty one year old Jackson Coyven win the three M. Very exciting and it was his third PGA to start as a professional. You have Michael Thorpe Jordson finally breaking through with a win at twenty four, former PGA Tour U number one player, great player in Stanford, had been sniffing around a lot of contending in a lot of tournaments. He finally gets it done. Then you have Michael Brennan win for the second time in a calendar year. Twenty four year old Michael Brennan win for the second time in a calendar year. Really exciting, like kind of like ascending player who seems to be really figuring it out based off the last six weeks of his PGA Tour career. So you have this really exciting run in and then you have like the at the Windom. The relegation aspect, the you know, this is the end of the season. Okay, if you're it's never really true relegation. I feel like in golf there's always like one last chance. But whatever we'll say, there is true relegation here. You have the playoff cut line, which is seventy, you have the card cut line which is one hundred, and you know, you have this excitement. What's insane is somehow they've put they they're distributing one hundred and eighty million dollars of money, and it gets less interesting, Like it feels like we're going to Memphis and it's like a dead weight because it's gonna be one hundred degrees every day in Memphis this week, and we're going Memphis to Saint Louis to Atlanta on a stretch of golf that is supposed to be the most the most important stretch of golf for the PGA Tour based off of what they tell us. So it's just a fascinating situation. Obviously, all this is going to change in two years, but these next two years are I just as someone who enjoys watching people try and wrap themselves into a pretzel and tell us how important things are. I can't wait for this.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's any chance to change the Tour Championship for next year?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I mean, this is the thing too, right, is like, if we get like number twenty nine winning, it's just people are gonna just be more negative about it, so they change just for context. They changed the format last year to where whoever of the top thirty makes the FedEx Cup Final at east like it's a straight tournament because everybody hated the stagger start. I hated the stagger start. I think this is way better personally, way better, But like you know, it's it's just it so they anybody can win now, and I yeah, I think if they, I don't think they're gonna change it. The whole point of this, though, is it's just a money distribution ploy. It's a way to distribute money to the biggest players in the sport. And if number twenty nine or number Chris rightand wins wins at east Lake, it's gonna ruin the whole ploy.
Speaker 3: I think Alex Smalley would be the funniest winner of the entire first.
Speaker 2: I mean, it would be amazing if if someone like Jordan Speith or or Madick McNeely Maverick mcneeley's best finish is tenth this year, Jorge Speed hasn't had a top ten all year, it'd be amazing if somehow they could get there without you know, like finishing higher than tenth. Like if bad McNeely finished tent tents and then go and wins, that would be a funny outcome. I mean, there's all kinds of humorous outcomes.
Speaker 1: Now, would do you want to talk about Speed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go on. That's my big thing.
Speaker 1: So as negative as we've been off of the top, and I think for good reason, given our enthusiasm for the playoffs, I do think there's an argument that this is the most interesting playoffs in a while with player specific storylines. I won't step on other ones in case, OK, yeah, you guys might have some. I think there's some good ones. speF is a genuinely, really interesting one. He's fifty fourth in the FedEx Cup standings and being exempt for all the signature events next year is a huge deal. If you're in the top fifty, you have to play pretty bad golf to not stay like in the top fifty to maybe ninety, Like that's a question mark for next year, is with the changes that are coming in twenty twenty eight, where are you going to need to be in twenty twenty seven to be exempt into all the events? And it seems like it'll probably probably be something like top ninety if you get to play all the signature events next year. It's kind of hard to not finish inside the top ninety with how many FedEx Cup points they give out at these events. So it is a huge deal to get into the top fifty this year. And Speed sitting at fifty four TVD exactly where he'll need to finish in Memphis to make it into the top fifty, but it'll be somewhere in the top fifteen. Probably needs like a twelfth place or so, depending on where everybody else finishes. And Andy, as you mentioned, no top tens this year. I was looking at it. There are five golfers who played at least twenty one who played more than twenty times this year and didn't finish with the top ten. It's Billy Horschel, Brian Campbell, Max McGreevy, Ricohoey and Jordan Speed. So you know, respectfully like not necessarily the list of names that you want to associate with with Jordan Spief and some of those guys like Billy's coming off an injury. Some of these guys are more up and comers, like Brian Campbell's kind of one of the had a little bit of a fluky season last years, Like these are not necessarily the names you associate with Jordan Spied. So I think this is a pretty pivotal week for speed If he does crack the top fifty, it's very different. Then Okay, he needs sponsor exemptions or he has to play his way into the signature events next year, Like Jordan Spied's long term status on the PGA Tour is somewhat determined by how he plays in Memphis.
Speaker 3: Would you say this season has been a disappointment, a disaster holding serve for speedf Like relative to how would you categorize it? Justin because obviously he's been worse in recent years. Injury contributed to some of that, but and he's been a lot better when he's younger. But if you've been a speed skeptic, I've been a speF sort of optimist. But I'm coming around to your side. I'm kind of curious to what you think. How would you categorize this season in general? I mean not you know, there's no top fends for sure, nine top twenty fives. That's not that big of a deal. But it isn't like garbage. He's not a terrible player right now in the universe of golf. He's just not a threat to put it all together and win any week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say somewhere between disappointing and a disaster in that relative to expectations, it's not a disaster. But I think every year that goes by now and speeds thirty three, what is going to be a catalyst for him actually getting back into contention and getting his game into a place where he is a threat to win tournaments. Every year that goes by and he doesn't do that, it gets less likely. So I think this if you were just to look at the results this year, you'd probably just categorize it as a serious disappointment. No top tens in twenty one starts like that's plenty of golf when you're healthy that you should at least crack a top ten, hopefully contending a couple of times. If you're somebody that has aspirations of winning a major championship again. But yeah, relative to expectations of disappointment. But in terms of the long term outlook, if you were somebody that came into this year saying I think Jordan Speed will win a major again, or I think he'll win some big tournaments again, you have to feel like that is less likely after this year. So I mean somewhere between a disappointment and a pretty significant I won't use the disaster word, but it's a very big disappointment this year.
Speaker 3: He keeps citing that stat about me Michelson didn't win a single major until he was thirty four years old. What would you say in sort of response to that about the way the game is different now than it was, say in two thousand and four, Well.
Speaker 1: I think if you're Jordan's Speed, that's the way you should look at it. That players' primes tend to be between you know, we're seeing twenty seven twenty eight to thirty seven thirty eight. So yeah, if I was going to bed every night and trying to talk myself into why I was going to be a major threat again some day, which you have to be able to put yourself in that headspace, then I think that's the right message to be telling yourself. But from just a golf standpoint and abstracting Speed from this situation, I mean, yeah, you got to be getting better every year, Like JJ Spahn won a major for the first time last year at what was he thirty four if I remember correctly, Yeah, he was thirty four last year and he won. But he's been thirty eight. He's been getting better and better, Like Speed's kind of trending in the other direction. So sure, that's a good message for Speed to tell himself. But the game gets more competitive every and every year. I think even if you're somebody like Scotty and you didn't win this year, like there's some level of concern that, Okay, I need to do something to elevate my game to the next level. Let alone, if you're Speed, who's been trending not necessarily in the wrong direction, but if he's stalling, then he's still pretty far from contending again at the highest level. I mean, you'd at least want to see like a final pairing in a non signature event this year, and for him to be pretty much irrelevant all season. Yeah, I don't think you can feel very good about it.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, one of the things I always think about is if you go through the greatest players of all time, there are very very few that had great careers for ten plus years. It's like a number. And if you look at Spieth, his ten year mark hit at like twenty nine thirty, and like, I just wonder was that it, you know, I mean, you could go down the history of golf. There's so many cases of players that have had similar like not in the sense of how young the start was, but how long and how how how bright it burned for how long it burned. It just falls in line with so many careers. And I don't think that's like a crazy thing. Now, like if you wanted to take a positive approach, he's positive in every category the PGA Tour, so he you know, every statistical category he's positive. Now can he make And it's just that there's not like just some like gaping hole in the bucket. And actually the weakest part of the game is the is around the green statistically, which you would think is probably should be one of the strongest parts. So I think, you know, I think that the for me, the thing with with Jordan Speeth is by you know, some players have been able to change and evolve and and in their game, but when you do that, you risk losing your golf DNA. And to me, Jordan Speith lost his golf DNA in the in the Chase for perfection from t degree and and I think that's that's the kind of like the tail here, Joseph, I think you bring up actually a huge point that I had overlooked is how important this year is in setting up next year because next year's where where the hard cut comes. And you're either on the Challenge I'm just going to call it the Challenge Tour. I think it's better than the Challengers. You're either on the Challenge Tour playing in in Moline and uh, you know the barbersol and where wherever you want to you know, Kentucky and all these places, or you're on the Big Tour playing playing for a lot of body and a lot of points and getting into the top fifty, like almost assured this year, almost assures that you make the big cut next year. Now, like the sad thing, they should do away with all sponsors exemptions next year. They should That should be because of how important. The cut is going to be next year, they should just do that. Uh they won't, So Jordan Smith will get a ton of sponsor exemption. Another name that miss completely missed the playoffs that will be eligible for sponsors exemptions next year because he's done his time is Brooks Kopka. So he missed you know, he completely missed the playoffs. Obviously. If I think he finished like something like ninety four in the FedEx Cup, he you know, he had a great, great stand of Like I'm I suck, like this is really sad that I missed missed this like it's pathetic. I think he used the word pathetic. But he will be getting a lot of sponsors exemptions. I it. I think that the success of that Challenge tour is actually and and if I was Brian Rollapp, I actually want players like Jordan Spieth or Brooks Kopka or Max Homa or big time player you know, Ricky Fowlers in the top thirty. He's you know, he's had a great, great year. But like you want players with name brand appeal playing in that tour on that tour because then it gives it automatic storylines of can this guy get back to the to the to where he once was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you, as you mentioned, like you have to play if you play a full schedule of signature events next year, like Tony Fina had a really rough year. He finished ninety eighth in the FedEx Cup standings playing a lot of signature events, and that's playing really poor golf by his standards. We we think, right, it's probably gonna be like ninety that you got to finish in the top you know, ninety or so next year to be exempt for all the Championship Series events in twenty twenty eight when that new model goes into effect, if you're playing in the top fifty, you're probably going to make that. So yeah, I do think every year is important to be in the signature events, but there's an argument to be made that next year it's like the most important year to be in the top fifty and playing that full schedule.
Speaker 3: The one thing I think was Speeth that probably just doesn't get enough discussion is how unwilling he has been to change anything, whether it's changed, you know, his coach changes, Caddie like, he kind of keeps working on the same stuff. And I know there's people in golf who remain baffled by his loyalty to camer McCormick and why he doesn't go see someone else who could just tighten up dispersion or make him more consistent, or just give him a new set of eyes. And I kind of wonder, like, is there some stubbornness there, some loyalty there? I think like it'd be hard pressed to find a better caddie who was willing to deal with his verbal processing than Michael Greller. So I don't think that like making a switch there would be particularly effective. But who knows? I just I do wonder, like, you know, McCormick doesn't have like a big stable of players. He doesn't have like a long history of you know, coaching guys back from the brink. You know, why not go see if Butcharmon will take a look at you, or you know, Pete Cowen or you know, any of the top instructors and just see, like what do you see?
Speaker 4: And what what could you help me with?
Speaker 1: Is? How does that conflict with? You know? For example, we admire that Scotty Scheffler has stuck with Randy Smith for so long, and Andy's mentioning, you know, Jordan Speed not losing his golfing DNA working with somebody who's always worked with Yeah, how Kevin, how does that conflict with that idea?
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess Randy has a longer history of like coaching PG Tour players. You know, he had Justin Leonard, uh, you know, I can't remember who the other one he had, you know, he had cult nost I think like there was some sort of history there built into like, hey, I know, how to get guys to Jortan might have just been that Jordan Spieth was always going to be good enough to make it to the PGA Tour, and he happened to end up with, you know, camer McCormick. And I just sort of wonder like at some point, like if Scotty was had been terrible all of a sudden for five years, I don't know that he would you know, maybe he would stick with Rannie Smith. But I think most players go seek out some other knowledge when they've lost kind of who they were, and that there's you know, there is a decent history of like guys finding some just like it almost refreshes your brain in some ways. And let's find a new way to think about this. Let's find it just a new ear to you know, to attack this. There's a lot of good coaches out there, Like I.
Speaker 4: Mean, look at what Sean Foley has done with Michael Kim.
Speaker 3: You know, Michael Kim was the number one amateur in the world and kind of lost his golf d and a and then Sean Folly got with him and was like, I just saw a video the other day. It's like, look, dude, like you used to play a draw and you used to like, you know, he We're going to hit freakin' rope hooks for an hour every single day until we get back that pattern.
Speaker 4: That you used to have.
Speaker 3: And he's made Michael Kim from you know, the two hundred best golfer in the world to you know, the fortieth best golfer in the world or whatever. And that's that's a pretty dramatic shift and a dramatic change.
Speaker 4: Like I Jean.
Speaker 3: Felly got a lot of grief for what he did with Tiger Woods or whatever, but that you know, Jehan Filly is a good golf coach, Like I would be fascinated to see what he would think and say about you know, what what he could do for Jordan Speed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess if you explored it like in the vein of almost anything else. You know, if we took like the you know, we'll just it's baseball season. We'll use baseball if you're if your baseball team, if you took Speeth like and you won, you know, we'll just say three World Series is early, you know, and you're you know, now almost ten years removed from the last World Series and you're just kind of instantly missing the playoffs. Uh, with your manager, you make a change, right, ye? I guess like it's continuity I think is like the most underrated thing in golf. But at a certain point you have to be able to pull the plug and say we're going to try something new, because even trying something new could be beneficial if you later decide to go back to camera, say, in Speech's case, go back to Cameron McCormick, like getting a voice that just explains something differently or looks at something differently. I think, like one of my big questions with Speeth, he just doesn't seem to be able to put four rounds together anymore like that, That to me is like the bigger issue here is that I think, like when you look at what makes every When you look at what makes the great players great, it's the way they manufacture scores on days they don't have it. It's our arguably, like you know, you anytime you look at the best player in the world. That's but Scotty personifies this like better than almost anybody. It's like turned seventy fours into seventies like nobody's business. And that's what Speeth used to do. He used to be. It used to be like a marvel to watch him. And I think he's been so so focused on on the long game that like he actually lost his ability to just like score the ball. And I just I don't know. I think there is like the other piece of this is like maybe he's just a mediocre golfer and that's what he is.
Speaker 1: I think we were hitting on Andy. I would be fascinated to hear a lot of instructors weigh in on this. But if somebody comes to you, who's making a ton of twenty five footers scrambling their hail off and there are some deficiencies in the long game, how much do you prioritize trying to become a better driver of the golf ball, which is one of the most sustainable skills versus just embracing that you're going to try and be one of the best scramblers and scorers on tour for the next ten to fifteen years. And I think that this is a case study in what happens when you do try to correct the driving, and there are successful studies. I'm sure I don't know that I can pull one off the top of my head, but I think that's a good question for an instructor if somebody comes to you at age twenty one to twenty two and that's their profile making putts that are probably not sustainable, almost definitely not sustainable by far the best long range cutter on tour. Clear deficiencies off the tee in an era where I think an underrated part of the speed story that we've talked about on this pod before is that you know, guys are hitting the ball a lot better than ten years ago. It's not just that speed's sitting the ball worse. These guys have gotten really optimized. So do you try to correct that or do you just embrace that DNA as a world class scrambler. But you might be if you go that route and just say we're not going to really touch a lot of the long game. You might be accepting that your world ranking is just going to fall because you're going to you're not gonna be able to stack up tea degreen with some of the top guys. I mean, it's a pretty difficult question to maneuver if you were working with a guy whose profile looks like that.
Speaker 3: I Mean, we talk a lot about Sevy being a legend, but there's a lot of evidence that Seve kind of ruined the back half of his career, like trying to fix his terrible driving, Like he was a horrendous driver, but he you know, had scoring DNA as Andy talked about, and then you know he got with like you know, Michael Grady and like he was like, oh, I'm going to make I want to fix this and you're gonna be got much better, and he just he kind of lost who he was, Like Sevy' is the last you know, five years of Seve's forties were kind of miserable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I this is the thing. Sev's career was like ten years. The other asked act of when you like, improvement is hard to do with golf. There's you know, we'll just call it, we'll call it four fastests of golf, short game, iron play, driving, putting, and then if you wanted to put a fifth. Is a mental game, and mental game ways into all these things, and when you work on things, they have balances other ways. Like I think one of the hardest things to do with golf is like if you really focus on something and focus on improving a skill, you naturally are spending less times on other skills. And the the PGA Tour level is such thin margins, such thin margins. I mean you're talking about like you know, we talk about strokes gain. It doesn't like actually show reve skill like your personal skill. You theoretic be theoretically could be a better player right now than he was ten years ago, but actually be worse on the PGA Tour. The metric that we use is strokes game, which compares speed to the field. Right we don't have like a so it's compared to his peers at all times. But when you spend a lot of time on improving one skill, you're naturally not spending as much time elsewhere. And little change is like how you might be striking an iron shot can bleed into your short game. Also like movements that you're doing with your body. It's just body movement. The thing I would always like hesitate with, like anybody who's a short game magician, is the everybody else will underrate the freedom that it provides you to play more aggressive than your peers. If you can get up and down from everywhere, you will generate more birdy chances because you're less afraid of leaving yourself in certain places than the rest of the field. Thus, your targets in certain instances will be tighter. You will hit more shots close because of that, and you will get up and down more often. It like I think, like the statistical uh of a revolution in the sport completely dismisses just how mental and momentum driven the playing tournament golf is. Having a great short game is like a cheat code, because when you're standing six or seven holes into the round and you know you've hit it like crap and you're like, huh, I'm one under, it's like the best feeling in the world. And then you know, like in the course of eighteen holes, these guys are going to hit a string together, a series of really great shots, and that's how you shoot sixty eight sixty seven without your best stuff. Is that like you play the holes where you're hit in it all over the place, even par under par even like Scotty does this all the time. He takes care of the par fives. He's two under and you're like, he hasn't a good shot, But this is what having a short game does. And I think, like, I think that's like probably the most glaring thing with Speed is like you know, they still talk about him on the on the telcast like he's you know, like he's you know what Scottie Scheffler is today, even what Rory McElroy is, you know, from a sense of like the short game prowess, but he's not that anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get over my skis with with short game technique. But I also, from what I understand spif the way that he hits iron shots is a little close, sorry, when he hits short game shots is a little more technique wise close to the way that he hits an iron shot with like the real forward shaft leen he hits kind of similar technique to Scheffler. So I would think with Speed, if you are trying to change the long game, it's a little more impactful to the short game then some other guys techniques like Victor Hobland kind of has the same thing, like the real forward shaft, Leen picking the ball Queen doesn't use the ground as much. I wonder if speaks long, if his short game is more sensitive to changes with his long game than other guys, and if that was part of the calculation when mccormicker whoever else he's worked with was going through like some of the long game stuff. I don't know that they maybe fully appreciated how that could impact a short game, because you're right, Andy, statistically spe short game. He had the worst season he's had in a while.
Speaker 2: You know, I like how cautiously you waited in there. I you know, the short game short game world is a cruel world. That that's right right to show her receipts and flame each other at at the at the drop of a hat. So I liked how you you waited, You tiptoed in there.
Speaker 1: You use the wrong word or something with short game and your mentions get lit up. So yeah, I don't need to get into those.
Speaker 2: Worse Kevin any more on speak or I guess final question on speed do you think he plays his way into the top fifty this week at Saint Jude, at the first stop on the sweat Swing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think so. I think it plays.
Speaker 3: I think what I looks he needs like a T twenty three or something to get into the top fifty or something. I can't remember, just glanced at it last night. Joseph probably fact check me here as I fill the buster for a moment.
Speaker 1: But he needs that is okay? If he gets a solo twenty third, that's enough to get to the fiftieth spot. It's going to have to be better than that because other guys are going to jump. So I was hard to guess, but I would assume it's going to be closer to fifteenth to the seventeen.
Speaker 4: I might say that I might withdraw. Then.
Speaker 3: I don't know that he can finished top fifteen, you know. I mean, look, Speth, he knows the stakes.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 3: I would like to see it happen for his sake. I think it's whatever you think about speed and like, you know, old heads like me who are like, oh man, why do you get off speed? Like it's a great quote, and speak's a great person to have around talking about golf and I think that's good overall for the health of golf and golf media, and so I'm rooting for him to be involved, just in some ancillary way. And I think the most likely outcome for me with Speath over the next five years is probably that he continues to sort of a slow fade and he drops out of like being an everyday elite golfer.
Speaker 4: But then at one moment in.
Speaker 3: His forties, like forty one or something, he has a flash of a weekend where he gets into contention at the Masters of the Open Championship and reminds us of like who used to be Like there's some you know, historical sort of like a Darren Clark situation, like your prime has passed and all of a sudden you kind of are in the mix suddenly again. He just I think he still has a really good golf brain. I don't think that consistently. Probably going forward he can be great again, But I do think like he'll remind us one more time of like, Hey, I used to be that guy. I can think my way around Augusta when the winning score is six under and all of a sudden, I'm in the mix for this.
Speaker 2: Seeky think about Spieth that you just remind me of his tenure US Open exceptions. Gone, he's fifty seventh of the world. There's like a real chance he's doing golf's longest day next year.
Speaker 4: Man, I just didn't think about that.
Speaker 1: Well, he doesn't have another exemption category, right.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I don't think so. If he gets like Eastlake, he's it, right, Yeah, but I ad I don't think he's gonna finish top fifteen. I could be wrong at at like a fairly demanding Te de Green golf course in FedEx Saint Jude so I. And then the question is like how much he's never been somebody that's gonna just go soldier into fall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he might have to rethink that, I mean, might really need to go play in the fall.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, that's unbelievable that that's how we're talking about him. But yeah, probably the biggest way.
Speaker 4: I can't do anymore Speed talk.
Speaker 3: This is unfair to any audience to just continue to talk to speed for twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: All right, Kevin, what's what's your what's your kind of big thing?
Speaker 4: I want to talk about three guys?
Speaker 3: Actually here is sort of feel like are much better than Jordan.
Speaker 2: You're doing what I did. Crow.
Speaker 3: Three guys who are are obviously much better players than Jordan Speith, who are not in danger of losing their card in any sense. But Victor Hobland, Tommy Fleetwood, Sanders Shoffley uh two FedEx Cup champions one Tour Championship winner in Xander. In the past, obviously we all were sort of hoping for a little bit more amongst the three of them. This year, you know, Tommy seemed like he was on the cusp of really taking the next step. Victor is the only one of those three who has a win this year, has the fewest top tens of them. I just I find myself wondering again, Like I mean, fleet was a little older, so we could sort of say, like maybe I think I said on the last time we convened, like maybe Tommy's time has come and gone.
Speaker 4: But with Xander, that's not the case.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to I want to see something from Xander that sort of reminds me of like, man, this is one of the three best players in the world or five best players in the world. How do we sort of get back a little bit of that magic that Xander had, you know, is the putting, which was so good, it's regressed a little bit. Is that what's holding him back? Like with Victor, you know, he missed three cuts in Majors this year. That's just a pretty poor season after like an okay Masters at the start. I just feel like these are three legitimate stars in the world of golf, and we got kind of a nothing burger season out of the three of them in terms of like real impact. And I would just I would love to see one of them kind of grab the reins again and do something in this playoffs to remind me of like how good they are.
Speaker 1: I think, of the three of them, Xander's probably the one that I'd the least worried about. But it's easy to just give. It's easy to give the excuse of injuries. Xander has been dealing with an injury that rib cartilage that I do think has been lingering and.
Speaker 4: A year removed from that, I know.
Speaker 1: But he's been wincing on the range, Like at the US Open, he did not load comfortable hitting on the range. I'm not going to give him the pass indefinitely, but he finished a runner up at the Rocket. Not the strongest field, but I mean at least it was a runner up. He finished third at the Players this year. I think it's a clear step back and we would expect better things from Xander. But this is still a guy that's been consistently in major championships his entire career. Still played well in the majors this year Top eighteen, top twenty and all four of them. I'm not that worried about Xander going into next year. I think with Tommy that's a bigger concern that on the heels of the best golf he's played in his career, this year has been very underwhelming. And with Victor, I mean that I never know what to expect from Victor. Always going to be concerns about the short game. The driver has been all over the place. You could tell me that Victor's the number three player in the world at the end of next year and a huge part of the reason that Europe wins the Ryder Cup, or that like, he's kind of a liability on the Ryder Cup team and they play him two matches, so I guess to put him, I don't know how to put Fleetwood in Hobland in order. I'd probably put Fleetwood ahead of Hobland at least for next year. But I think Xander is pretty clearly the best of the three.
Speaker 4: What's crazy about is sorry and it just was going to play real.
Speaker 3: Quick that like the Driver is much bigger concern for Victor now than around the Green, Like he was a disaster of a player around the Green, but now the driver is like a real liability and he's actually like a pretty darn good short game player around the Green.
Speaker 2: I think I was fascinating he I think, by his own admission, would say he's been like basically lost since the Toy three FedEx Cup, where at the time or like maybe he's the best player in the world.
Speaker 4: And I think he's metachorically.
Speaker 2: Lost, which what's amazing though, is he's I think after he won the vals Bar in twenty five he was like, I did not see this coming. And I think the same goes for his win at Travelers, because he was like he was on the range of the US Open for hours after he missed the cut on Saturday and Sunday, grinding away and I think again it was like a like out of nowhere win and he's had two of these and like basically I would say three years of being like out to sea, he's managed to like put it together for short stints of time. I think it's another example is what we talked about with Speeth, a little bit of like there's it's so hard to get better when you're one of the ten best players.
Speaker 4: In the world.
Speaker 2: It's so freaking hard, and you sometimes do and there's like the history of golf has so many cases of this. You do crazy things and you convince yourself you need to do things in order to become better. And I think hovelin Hobland categorically when he came on tour was like basically a driving machine. He drove the crap out of the golf ball. It wasn't the longest, but he was so accurate, and he was very He was adequately long. He was a great iron player. He made putts when he needed to make putts. He just had to clean up the short game, like legitimately, and we saw it at the twenty three FedEx Cup. We saw the version of golfer that everybody was like, Oh, once he figures out how to wedge the ball around the greens, how to hit short game shots, this guy is just going to be a superstar, and we saw it and then he you know, because of the curious person he is, you know, kind of crazy in the sense of like how he likes to untone any type of stone. He likes to unturn every stone in the world, seemingly, and no matter what the topic is, he likes to turn the stone over and figure out what the beating of everything is. He did it with his golf swing and now it's like, well, now he can't hit the ball.
Speaker 1: I think I'd be remiss not to bring up Andy you're saying, like he found it for these couple of weeks. I think Victor's a pretty good testament to the difference between major championship golf and weekend and week out golf. Where the two wins he's had over the last two years of bals Bar and Travelers, those are golf courses where you don't have to hit driver very much. And you saw this, like justin Thomas's one win of the last two years, was it hard where you don't have to hit driver very much.
Speaker 2: Victor plays great at valspar He always plays great at vals.
Speaker 1: Far exactly, Like there's a big difference between those types of setups where you're not hitting driver a lot, and then at a major where you do have to hit driver a lot, and when you don't hit it well, generally depending on the setup, you get kind of crushed. So Victor missed the cut at three of the four Majors this year. So I do think it's a testament to the difference between weekend and week out golf, especially on some of those softer setups that masks some of those bigger issues. But the most fascinating part of Kevin, I know, you love getting into Victor Howland. I still think he's given one of the best quotes of the last couple of years, and it didn't end up getting transcribed for whatever reason. But when I was talking to him at the Open at Port Rush, he said about his twenty twenty three season that he beat Scotty Scheffler all the time. Because I'd asked him like, does this see you know a little bit of a disappointing finish this week, Like does this give you more motivation seeing what Scotty's doing that you need to get back to that level? And Victor said, like, look, no one's pushing Scotty right now, Like it's not that he's doing anything special, it's that no one's pushing him. And when I was playing well, I beat him all the time. He said that verbatim, that he was beating him all the time, which was true. So I think Victor looks at himself as the best player in the world when everything's clicking, and I think a lot of other guys don't necessarily see that, like they think that Scotty's on a little bit of a different stratosphere. So I'm with you, Kevin, that he's one of the most fascinating golfers in the world and one of those that actually does have the potential to get back to world number one. I don't think he ever touched world number one, but he was close, and he was playing like the best golfer in the world. He is somebody who could conceivably get to world number one, but it does feel pretty far right now.
Speaker 3: My favorite part about Victor is, like Andy, you point out, like what a good driver he was, what a good ball striker he was, And my favorite thing about it, and when I did that story about him a couple of years ago, is that he was basically like, yeah, you know, the statistics were really good, but I just looked at my swing and I didn't like it, and I just knew that I had to change it. And I think that that's a fascinating part of like artists in some ways. And I think what makes Victor interesting to write about is he almost views things like as an artist where it's like, yeah, it might be what your standards are, but my standards are more important, and so I'm going to do all this crazy stuff to meet my own standard. The statistics to me are just not telling of like how I feel when I like look over that. You know, he would hit great shots and he's just like, yeah, that that's not what my eye wants it to see. And you know, there's it's possible that Victor, I don't know if wrecked his golf DNA, but like went away from what actually made him great in pursuit of something else. And Tiger was sort of a similar way, Like the gulf of between talent between Tiger and Victor is pretty vast, but Tiger was like, yeah, it didn't look the way I wanted it to look, so I changed it. I just went on this pursuit. I got worse in order to get better, and Victor got worse, thinking like I can get better in the long run, and maybe you never come out of it on the other side better. But that just makes him fascinating. He'll always be super fascinating to me. We could be talking about him ten years from now and be like, man, remember Victor Hoblin. He was a killer, and he was like, Yeah, it just doesn't suit my eye. And so I had to tear it all down and begin again. And that's that's a fun part of golf, is that it draws in centric weirdos sometimes who need that kind of pursuit.
Speaker 2: The thing too. Nobody likes the way their golf swing looks, That's.
Speaker 5: True, No one, nobody likes it. Like I guarantee, if you got moments of honesty from Scottie Scheffler and he showed him, he'd be like, I just I just hate how that looks.
Speaker 2: You know, like when he comes through cirtin position. Like I put a video yesterday on Instagram and by swing up and I would categorically I got it going. I played it, hit the ball as good as I've hit it in a long time yesterday and I'm looking at this swing and I'm like, God, I just hate it, but it's the same thing it's always been. I hate it, but there's only like the crazy thing about Victor and Tiger and certain people, and you get to the level like it speak is in the same bucket, but like you get you're literally one of the three best players in the world with that swing, and you can't get over how it looks, so you want it to look different. And I think, like what is inevitably happens is like if you're if you're flat, you always envy swings that are steep. If you're steep, and in your Tennessee is to get across the line, across the line at the top of the swing, you always envy those that are a little laid off. And it's just like the natural way it works with golf. I'd be curious if Adam, I bet, if you talk to Adam Scott and said, what do you hate about your golf swing? You'd have like a really long, eloquent answer about that.
Speaker 4: Might have to track Amscott down and get that on the record. All right, what's yours? What's what?
Speaker 2: I already gave him mine?
Speaker 4: Oh that's right, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: We can I think with the kind of time putting a bow on yours, I think Xander to me and maybe I'm maybe I'm just this is because what we saw out of him in twenty twenty four. To me, I've seen enough really high level performances from him this year to feel like where you're like, oh wow, like he's like pretty close to putting this all back together. To feel bullish about him. I just have, like I think, like Fleetwood last year, that was the best golf he's played in his career, and I just don't think he's ever been like a truly elite player in golf, like in the vein of like, I've never thought of him as one of the three or four back players in the world, and so I think that's like, that's my kind of two cents on Fleetwood is like he's actually just regressed to the mean of what he is, which is like a bona fide top fifteen player in the world, but not a top five player in the world, and that was just a kind of actually a blip on the radar last year.
Speaker 1: I think that's totally fair if we're doing any kind of honorable mention, I think reviewing this year and looking through things within the Fleetwood conversation. Somebody that could be a top five player in the world. I think we at least have to shout out Chris Gottrup, who won three times on tour this year, and as you're looking three, I bet I kept standings. Chris Goddup's the only player under twenty eight in the top ten in the standings this year. There's a hand I love big. I believe's tenth and he's twenty six, But so only person the top nine set up pretty well I would imagine for a big, potential breakout season in twenty twenty seven. Breakout's probably the wrong word, because this was a breakout season, and even you could probably consider twenty twenty five somewhat of a breakout season, winning the Scottish and contending late in the Open Championship. But I think looking ahead to as you survey the twenty twenty six season, who sets up well for twenty twenty seven, you gotta imagine that Chris Goddrup is pretty much at the top of that list. Outside of the top top you know, Scottie and maybe Cam Young, maybe Fitzpatrick. I don't think it's crazy to think that Chris Gottrup's a potential top five player in the world, and he's already hit that in the OWGR but not over a consistent period of time. Three wins this year made the cutting off four majors. Maybe wasn't his best major season it'll ever have, but I think you got to be looking ahead. As Chris Goddrup's a by candidate for the next twenty four months.
Speaker 2: That's a great call out. An honorable mention to someone I'd pull up would be, uh, would be Kalam Morikawa. I think like he's just a good reminder of like golf is, as we talked about a lot of these players, Golf is an ebs and flows sport where sometimes you're just you know, I think, like I always think back to Kyle Mark Howo's quote about like how he was like, for some reason, I'm just hitting a draw this year and where I usually see a fade, and and like that dropped him from a top five player to like a the twenty fifth player in the world, and then the ball started to fade again for you know, like if finally worked it out where I could start to hit the fade again, and he ascended back up, and you know, I think he had if had I think one of those like sliding doors moments of the season has had the back injury not happened at the players, what would the would the year look like? And he put together like such an impressive year despite having this back issue that like really I he he has said like I couldn't, I can't really trust going at it, and he played through the injury and put together like a really really good year to me. Calum mori kaala, just like embodying the ebbs and flows of golf, where you can have a down eighteen months and you know if you if you stay the course and continue to work at like it could just everything could fall right back into place.
Speaker 3: Who wins the FedEx Cup, guys, Alex Smalley.
Speaker 1: We should mention Scheffler right, like that's a that is a big story that if he doesn't win any of the next three events, he's going to go basically twelve months at least twelve months between wins. That he'll go into next year AMX or whatever he starts the season with with a full twelve months between wins, which would be a pretty big year out. Yeah here here that doesn't win.
Speaker 4: The Presence Cup, Who's who can say.
Speaker 1: I don't know that he'll win the FedEx Cup, Kevin or Player of the Year. I don't know that anyone puts a ton of stock in that award, at least on this podcast. But I do think Scotty's the you know, one of the five most important storylines going into He really does need to win a playoff event, Like it would be a pretty big deal to go twelve months between wins for who we all consider the world number one. So I don't know that I want to pick him to win the FedEx Cup playoffs necessarily, he definitely has the best chance, but I mean it's a huge upcoming three weeks for Scotty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess my pick to win. I think, like I think we're gonna get it. I'll take got her up to win the FedEx Cup. I mean, Xander's the best pick because well, yeah, I think if Scotty, if Scotty doesn't win this year, like the reality is that he doesn't win, in the next three weeks, he'll probably rack up like three more top fives. It'll be one of the crazier years in the history of golf in terms of like the number of close calls without getting across the line. I mean, it's just one of those things where winning seems so easy, and I think like the one of the undertones of this whole conversation that we didn't say, winning on the PGA Tour is so freaking hard, you know, And it's like all these all all these conversations about down this down that is like predicated on you beating one hundred and fifty six guys a couple times who are all at the top of the you know, at the top of the sport. Like that's the hard thing. And with the way they have it set up with signature events, it's just harder to win because you're playing against the top competition more often.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go cameon, I think, Yeah, even though the when Hi was not great, I think like over the course of three events, like he he will win one of those and at least one of those and it'll probably be the tour championship.
Speaker 4: He's going to track down Xander at the at Xander's Park.
Speaker 1: I like that call. We should also mention Jackson Coyven has a huge week coming this week. That's another honorable mention story that he has to finish. I think like top five essentially to get to the next round, but if he wants any chance of making the President's Cup, he probably does need to do that, so that at least I want want to include him in this episode.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you, guys, non Coven, who obviously won in his third start, Non Coven, who which young player in pro golf have you been most impressed by this year?
Speaker 3: Mile's Russell pro Golf most impressed? Non COAVIDU Uh? I mean Michael Brennan. I think is the the right answer. It's not the sexiest answer since he just won. I don't know, Joseph, you have someone better.
Speaker 1: I mean as tempted as I am to because I loved what I saw from Thorby Weren'tson this year and how often he was in contention. I do think the right answer is probably Blades Brown because.
Speaker 2: That was one of mine.
Speaker 1: He's nineteen, so I think a few years from now we're going to look back and be like, wait a minute, Blades Brown finished third in Puerto Rico, and it was in the final group at the AMX, Like, yeah, that was staring you directly in the face, that Blades Brown was going to be a great player. So yeah, maybe not the flashiest season from you know, he's not He's not making any noise in the FedEx Cup standing It's like he's eleventh in the Corn Fairy Tours standings. But I think you gotta look at Blades Brown's year and say, all right, this is somebody who's very likely going to be a top ten to fifteen player in the world at some points he'll still be young three years from now, like very young three years from now. Yeah, I think I at least shout out Blades Brown.
Speaker 2: I think it's crazy. The Corn Ferry Tour is such like a uncovered portion of golf. I'm convinced if Blades was playing the way he's playing just in amateur golf, in racking up wins, yeah, he'd have more hyph than because then he's playing on the PGA Tour and the Corn Fairy Tour split and like playing exceptionally well on the PGA Tour when he plays on the PGA Tour, like somehow he has Like it's it's crazy to be that, Like people aren't talking about him more. And I say this as someone who probably hasn't talked about him enough over the last year it's been I think like his approach to it has been super impressive, Like he knows, like I get better status through corn Ferry if I if I rank high on corn Ferry, then if I'm just like get my points on like special temporary PGA Tour members, so I'm gonna keep playing corn Ferry like so many guys that would have bolted from the corn Ferry Tour as soon as possible. I'm I'm so impressed with just how Blade has handled this transition from basically junior golf to pro golf to the PGA Tour so quickly, Like he has just gotten up basically as quickly as you could without like any real handouts.
Speaker 1: Point is season up. It's it's even honestly a little better than I remembered. It is so consistently solid. Like T nine at Myrtle, T fourteen at Byron Nelson, like T. Twelve at John Deere. Those are three successive PGA Tour starts. He had Corn Ferry Tour starts in there in the middle, but those are also like a lot of T twenties in a row. To be playing mat cansistently a good golf at close to the highest level. I mean the Myrtle Beach Classics not the strongest field. The John Deer Classics not the strongest field. But he's still doing some damage in those events at nineteen when he's twenty one, as long as nothing goes seriously wrong, like this is a really really good golfer.
Speaker 4: All right, next five years, I give you, I give you five.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a choice, Coyven, Russell or Brown over the next five years.
Speaker 1: Coyn. But that's five years is Miles Russell's that's a big ask for him when he's going to be that young. I'm taking coin.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say, like there's all this Miles Russell hype and rightfully so, you know, he became the first player to be the medalist of the Junior AM and the Western AM. I just want to like two years ago, Blades Brown was the medalist of the JUNIORAM and the USAM like true, like this is I don't think we were like hyping juniors as much as we are now. When Blade's round did it like just two years ago? It just but I don't, I don't know, it's like a complete crapshoot. I would lean toward Jackson Coyven just because we've already seen it.
Speaker 1: I think if you said fifteen years, I honestly would be inclined to maybe go Miles Russell. But five years, I think because you're just getting into the beginning of Coyven's prime and these other guys when have hit their prime. So I think it's I think it's pretty clearly cool they are. I mean, Kevin's who you're taking.
Speaker 4: I think I might take Russell.
Speaker 3: I mean, I just like watching some of that stuff, like he just has like a serious knack for scoring and just seems to be unfazed by any kind of pressure at all. I mean, obviously Coven's just the more prominent in our eyes. I having done it, I am excited. I do think we've waited a long time for that next generation to emerge, and it clearly seems like the three of them have a chance to be really pretty darn and so I think sometimes, in having been in journalism for a long time, journalists tend to hang on to the previous generation of stars for a little bit too long without paying enough attention to what's coming. And maybe, like us talking about speed for thirty minutes as like an example of that, but like, I think the next generation of kids is kind of here and it's almost like, man, we should really pay attention to what's happening to to Blades and to Miles.
Speaker 4: You know, have already kind of given Jackson his his shine. In a lot of way, there's equivin has shine.
Speaker 3: So I just feel like it's fun, it's exciting when there's a great unknown of like great talent is about to emerge'.
Speaker 2: Why people pay more attention to like free agency and drafts now than the actual games because of hope and promise. My last honorable mention for for most impressive young player Ben James. What I like about him He got He's made his pro debut at the RBC Canada. I would count that he got in the mix on the weekend at RBC Canada Travelers Isco. He was in the mix at the Rocket and then he was also in the mix at the Window this week and like to me, he got in the mix and was in contention. He had some disasters in there, like some bad weekend rounds in there, I want to preface, but just getting in the mix is half the battle. I think he's gonna I would like almost put this as a lock he will win a tournament next year, maybe more than one.
Speaker 1: Next year, I think where where the only plays some throwing the challenge flag. Andy from all accounts, really struggles with the putter. I know his strokes aren't that bad so far this year and his professional starts, but we have seen, like on the weekends, I think it was Saturday of the window, putt really poorly. I think that's what largely kept him from winning more in college. And I think you see with a lot of these really really good guys who are unbelievable ball strikers, really struggle with the putting. A lot of T fours, a lot of T sixes, and I think you should be bullish on Ben James's future, but to actually win. I don't want to compare him to Davis Thompson because he's better than Davis Thompson, but that's another guy who like blushes the ball. And Cam Young's kind of an example too, where it took him a while to win until he conquered the putter. I think with Ben James that's just something fascinating. You really got to watch his putting because if he doesn't fix it or at least get a little better, he might struggle to get across the finish line.
Speaker 2: All right, challenge flags down. We'll see what the official say next year. This time.
Speaker 1: He could wow.
Speaker 2: All right, that does it. Thank you guys for joining. As always, you guys could everybody can read your guys writing in the Fridaygg newsletter on the Frida Egg website. Please sign up for that spend a great year of newsletters. You guys have taken our newsletter to the next level with your wonderful contributions. And big thanks to p J Clark for editing and producing this podcast. Onto the Sweat Swing, Onto the Triumvirent of Memphis, Saint Louis and in Atlanta and August a thing that I'm sure all these guys dreamed of of of of doing when they were growing up as kids, putting on the putt and green late at night,