Speaker 1: Your tunees about Drive on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Goal Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: See if we can remember how to do this. Good afternoon, Steeler Nation. It's the Drive on the Steelers Audio Network, West Hueler. Matt Williamson with you here on the eve of a report day of training camp twenty twenty six. Matt Our vacations are in the books in about twenty four hours here, the offseason is in the books, and here we go once again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like the off season is now officially over. It's a Monday. I had a weekend away.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We both took vacations, which is great. I haven't seen you in a while. I haven't done anything on the air in any way, shape or form until today, So a little bit of rush needs knocked off. But I'm cool. We were joking before the air, it's like before we hit record, you know, like this might be the most out of the loop we are until this day next year. Yeah, you know, like this kind of was detached and we were kind of like, what's happened in the last two weeks? Fortunately not much it really is regard. Yeah, this time of year is slow.
Speaker 2: It is I was. I was saying that to my wife. I was like, it's been two weeks since Matt and I have done a show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'll be very honest and hey, I think you're probably in the same boat. I haven't thought about football or the Steelers much over the last two weeks. Yeah, yeah, but I think everybody needs that we have so we have fifty fifty two. It's a year where football dominated. It's good to unplug for a couple of weeks, and I think we're refreshed and ready to go now.
Speaker 3: I will say I spent quite a bit on my laptop reading football stuff. I mean, what else do I got to read? You know, war and Peace? You know, of course I was reading right exactly. But all in all, I haven't been creating content, haven't been doing much, and I needed it. So I'm ready to rock. It's like for the season. I think the season is basically here.
Speaker 2: Oh you and me. Yeah, it's been an odyssey of an off season. Steelers. I saw I've seen it twice.
Speaker 3: By really so good. It'd dude, it's outstanding. Wow, Okay, I saw it once.
Speaker 2: I was like, I got to see that again. Took my mom the second time because my mom wanted to go see it.
Speaker 3: I'll probably have to wait till after the season, though. Yeah, the chances are maybe some.
Speaker 2: Random there is a nice movie theater out there at the Casino right by campus. Maybe maybe one day. But there's been a lot that has gone on this off season for the Steelers, I think, certainly, Matt. If not today, probably Wednesday, when we're doing our first show from campus. We'll have to just kind of recap what was a crazy offseason for the Steelers in a lot of different ways.
Speaker 3: I'm sure we'll have new listeners just coming with the season, they aren't you round.
Speaker 2: That always that always happens, and uh man, Matt, we always see the uptick in listeners and viewers and engagement all that stuff as soon as training camp starts. Oh yeah, but I think this time around could be even ratcheted up normal from from what we normally see, just because for the first time in nineteen years, the Pittsburgh Steelers have a new head coach for the first time in nineteen years, Matt, we think we know what training camp is going to look like, and we've got a pretty good grasp on it. But I made this this joke to my wife. I was like, it's almost like, did you ever did you go to Libo all throughout your your life? Okay, Yeah, I went to Eden, which was a private school, Eden Christian Academy through sixth grade, and then I started going to Mars in.
Speaker 3: Seventh, seventh District a little different.
Speaker 2: I said to my wife, this to me kind of feels like the first day that I was heading to Mars Middle School after going to Eden. I know what school is. There's lockers, there's class and half class. I was like, but this is going to be different. It's a brand new school, it's brand new teachers, it's brand new you know, standard operating procedures. And that's kind of how I feel. I've been to Latrobe, but I've been to St. Vincent. This will be my ninth training camp, but this one also feels new at the same time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and new curriculum too, Like I mean, I'm just curious to see like how they deploy like one of my favorite things that I'm looking forward to. And I did a podcast on it today and talked a little bit about the Steelers corners in general. Was I think Ramsey's gonna be the slot and they're gonna play a lot of nickel, which makes him a starter. I think when there's only four defensive backs on the field, he'll be the free But no one's really told us that exactly. I don't know it. Probably a practice or two in I will know it, you know, like things of that nature, or certainly the defense in general, I think is gonna look a lot different of where everybody lines up and what they do. And you don't have to be an ex's no expert to look at and be like, oh, they're doing different things. And I think the offense will be similar but not as drastically different. But we were even joking like some of the organization just gave us the times of all the meals. Well, they're a little different this year, you know, practice times a little different this year. You know, when do I sneak in that NAT or when do I sneak in other podcasts?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 3: You know, Like I'm still a little I need to like get my boots on the ground, Like I told you, I do this NFL six Pack show with Brian Peacock, and I'm like, I don't feel confident in telling you when exactly can we record everything right, right right, because I'm gonna sneak back and forth and it's kind of going to get the lay of the land. Can I leave, Can I get to practice a little late? I don't need to see stretch, you know, things like that, you know, right right, at some point I need to feed myself. Will they do backs on backers? Will they do seven shots? You know what kind of stuff carries over? I think it's really fascinating.
Speaker 2: Lunch used to be at eleven thirty in the morning. Now it's gonna be more like one or one thirty in the afternoon.
Speaker 3: There practicing earlier, right right right.
Speaker 2: It's like when you sometimes when you switch grades and things like that, you go from having an early lunch to late lunch and all that, yeah and stuff. Yeah, So it's it's exciting that this time of year is always exciting. But I think when you have when you have a new boss calling the shots and pulling the strings for the first time in nineteen years, it's a lot to keep an eye on. Yeah, we're certainly looking forward to starting to peel that peel that curtain back on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: And the other thing too, is just purely roster. Every year they go out and get people, and there's and every team changes drastically, but there's a lot of draft picks, you know, I mean there's a whole bunch. Yeah. We would look around and be like, that's Zach Frazier. He looks saying, there's Aaron Rodgers. We saw him last year, Cam TJ. We know those dudes. But there's fifteen names that I'm pretty excited to really see for the first time. And I'm not counting mini camps and that type of thing. You know, Jamie Dean, you know, guys like that Briskerr, you know, like, what's he look like running around out there? Let alone the rookies Max in particular.
Speaker 2: It's it's gonna be a lot of fun, always is, but it feels feels even a little bit more. You know, one of those what are those presents that have been wrapped up under the tree? What are they going to look like this year?
Speaker 3: And you think you know what you're getting, and often you get what you asked, sayana for, but you don't.
Speaker 2: Know exactly right, and especially especially when it's a different person wrapping up those presents this time around. So again we will have are first on. We will not have a Tuesday show that's kind of moving and set up and all that day, but then.
Speaker 3: Kind of a bonus we want to get back at you, you know, right, yep.
Speaker 2: Kind of knock off some of the rust and get going here before things really get going on Wednesday. But we're gonna have a bunch of Saturday and weekend shows going forward two So we will still have five shows this week, and they're three hours each, okay, and this is our last two hour show, giving you a bonus hour every single day. Great point by Matt there.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure we'll replace some things that happened throughout the day and react to that too. And you know, like, I'm sure we have lots of good interviews and we haven't had any of that stuff for months.
Speaker 2: I don't get exactly right, exactly right. So it'll it'll be a lot of fun every day that the Steelers have practice, even on Saturdays, even on Sundays, doesn't matter day of the week. It does not matter. It's kind of like summer vacation when you're growing up in middle school in high school. Who cares what day of the week it is. I just don't have school.
Speaker 3: My kids have embraced that heavily prepare for college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we if there is practice, we are doing a show. So we will be out there on campus Wednesday, Thursdday, Friday, and Saturday before heading home and taking Sunday off and then getting back at it on Monday. When the pads go on a week from today, that's when things will really get fun, Matt. Like I said, I think on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: The other thing too, there's a I mentioned the show I do with Peacock. There's a couple of things we were getting a kick out of today, like because there are teams in training camps and stuff like that too. There's a couple trigger words that I forget about until this time of year, like best shapier life, Oh get out of here, you know, the acclamation period. The acclamation periods a little anti climatic, folks, you know, like we're getting there and it's like that doesn't mean that they're doing Oklahoma drills and three A days.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Like there's a couple of things along those lines where it's like, oh, yeah, I forgot about these things, or this guy got carted off the field. I love that too, because.
Speaker 2: Everybody gets carved pretty much.
Speaker 3: Everyone gets card.
Speaker 2: Wednesday when we're out there on campus.
Speaker 3: They don't make you walk up the hill.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna make these guys walk three hundred yards off the field right here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, carted off the field is one of my favorites. There's a couple of cliches that you just hear this time of year only or guys that start on the pup list that doesn't mean that they're a disaster. Or hold ends is another one. You know, there's a couple of things you hear this time of year. You got to remember, you.
Speaker 2: Know, always always good to have our bearings before we really before we really dive in. Speaking of hold ends, Matt, there will be, like I said, I want to do some some off season rewind stuff and scene setting stuff on Wednesday when we get back to campus and into a new Stealers season. Obviously, though, one of those things that will be monitoring, I guess unless something changes in the next forty eight hours or so, is the contractual status of Joey Porter Junior.
Speaker 3: I think this is about to become like the story.
Speaker 2: The story, Yeah you saw it was it. Every year there's Smith cam last summer High Smith, the summer before.
Speaker 3: That, TJ summer before that, right.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot that plays into this. Uh, and obviously that will be the storyline Joey Porter Junior and his contract.
Speaker 1: Matt.
Speaker 2: We were kind of laughing, and you mentioned at the start of the show here just a few minutes ago. Not a lot happened in the last two weeks. I was expecting that we'd come back here and say, all right, this person got this extension, and Christian Gonzalez got this. It's kind of everyone's kind of in a in a holding pattern.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, a little bit, but people truly went on vacation.
Speaker 2: Yes, and again everybody needs that. According to Robert Kraft, of course, the owner of the Patriots, he said this over the weekend that they've made Christian Gonzalez an offer to be the highest paid cornerback in the NFL of all time. Quote, we love Christian Gonzales, we love him as a player, as a person. That's why we made an offer to him to make him the highest paid player to ever play that position in the NFL and coincidentally, is the highest contract in Patriots franchise history. So we're glad we drafted him. He's developed here and we hope he'll be here with us for a long time and quote, yeah, so that sounds like that could be getting done very soon here.
Speaker 3: I don't know why he'd say no to that.
Speaker 2: I don't say no to the highest paid ever at his position. But I think if that gets across the finish line here in the next day or two, then all eyes will really be on Joey Porter Junior in the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it could make things sticky for the Steelers and Porter, I mean obviously because they are coming from I think they're comparable players. I would take Gonzalez, but there's only like two or three corners i'd take ahead of Gonzalez, and Frankly, by week ten, I might be like Porter's even better than Gonzalez, Like they're in the same neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One thing that works to Gonzalez's favor the Porter doesn't have going for him slightly is there's a fifty year option situation. Because if you remember, that was the year the Steelers traded up for Broderick Jones, and I remember being on the air with Dyell going did they trade up for Broderick Jones or they traded for Gonzalez because they had a corner huge in need as well. They sit there at thirty two, which was a second round pick at the time, because Miami forfeited a first round pick and that was the Claypole pick, so that was from the Bears, and with their second pick, they took the corner as opposed to the other way around. Joey Porter Junior. But even though he was a thirty second pick, he did not have the fifty year option option you know for the teams, so he has not made as much. He didn't make first round money. He doesn't have that fifty year option looming. Where Joey's contract is up after the year. Gonzalez they could wait another year and he's still Patriots property at the moment. So I don't know if that changes where the agents come from or not. I'm no negotiations master, but they are a little different. I would still think Porter comes in below Gonzalez. And we've seen this so many times in the history of a NFL is I'm just going to wait for the other receiver to sign first, and then I want one dollar more. Yes, I don't think that'll be the case.
Speaker 2: Maybe I want one dollar less in this yeah.
Speaker 3: But it's still going to be high. I mean it's going to be really high. I mean, we went into this a while back. Maybe you could even pull it up, but I almost no off the top of my head that I think there's two Oja or Trent McDuffie's one of them that are making like thirty two million a year. It's twenty. I think it's twenty. I think it's thirty two.
Speaker 2: I think you're right.
Speaker 3: I think there's two or three making basically the same contract.
Speaker 2: Duffee Sauce and Stanley Junior all about thirty thirty one million right in in that range.
Speaker 3: Together, and then I think there's like a gap of like five millionaires to the next group, which includes Pat certain who's the best. But then we know how contracts work, you're always the best player gets the most money. I thought Porter might come in somewhere in between those two deals, but the problem with that is there's no comps. That's how agents and teams work, you know, like if but that that contract doesn't exist. You know, the twenty eight twenty nine million dollars a real sure, So that always makes things stickier. It's easier to say, give me the same deal, but I'm sure the Steelers aren't con be like, I'm just gonna give you the Gonzales steal, you know, so this could be sticky. I don't I'm not saying it doesn't get done or he's not worth it, or the team's being cheap or any of those things. But there's a lot of negotiations and this is a big one, and the Gonzalez deal probably isn't doing the Steelers they favor because I would think Porter's agent at least walks in there in the day after the Gonzalez thing and says, let's just match it, and they're like, that's nice, but no, you know who knows?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's Hey, that's what agents are supposed to.
Speaker 3: Do, right, exactly, get every dollar you can for the best deal for your client.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think everything you said there is spot on. The one.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna get them for twenty yeah, yeah, no chance. When the numbers come across, listeners would be like whoa, yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of people did that with Herbiic Just wait right, right right.
Speaker 3: This one's gonna be bigger and probably is why it's lingers. It's a little bit harder to do.
Speaker 2: And I wonder too, Matt it's a little bit harder to do. There is some of that kind of looking around and all right, what are the answers that they're putting down over on their test over there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, as we use.
Speaker 2: More school analogies, you know, like all right, do I want to be the first one to turn this test in? Or do I want to wait till a couple more guys turn it in and I'm gonna go up there? Did I finish too quickly? Do I still need to wait this thing out? I also though the last piece of this is, as we've discussed, it felt like Herbig, Darnell Washington, and Joey Porter Junior were the three big contracts to get done, Like we.
Speaker 3: Talked about still and some.
Speaker 2: Other guess, but those felt like the three of the guys the deals that we really knew. You know, they're at positions where those guys have solidified themselves and they're.
Speaker 3: Drafted them, developed them.
Speaker 2: You and I. Also one of the things that we've been privy and we've seen it play out over the last for I think three or four training camps, is the Steelers do love to have that contract extension that comes down in the middle of training camp. In the dog days, everyone's starting to get a little sick of each other. Everyone's starting to get a little annoyed. It's hot out, you're tired, you're sleeping in the dorm room, you're eating in the cafeteria. Right, it's a morale booster. And you know, you and I've seen that. We saw a couple of summers ago with TJ. We saw it a couple of summers ago with Alex Highsmith. You go into the cafeteria those days and it's like, oh, here comes the hundred million dollars. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone just has a little more perking their step.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I wonder if there's some of that for the Steelers too, where like, hey, be a little sticky. Hey maybe it moves the number a little bit, But we want to get this thing done in camp morale booster, we don't need we don't need Joey out there full speed on July twenty ninth, anyway, Oh that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I won new Defense, but we still know we got.
Speaker 2: I wonder if there's part of that with the timing too, where they've just kind of always had in their mind this is the next guy who gets the morale boosting, team bonding, training camp contract.
Speaker 3: Sure, his dad was a legend on the team. I'm not that that matters, but well, pretend like it doesn't. Local kid Pittsburgh for life, one helmet guy. You can start having those kinds of conversations at the press conference. The other thing I wanted to mention, though, is he is a free agent after the year. Currently as it stands, I think he's good enough though that unlike a Benton, you wouldn't hesitate the franchise him, you know, like, I can't imagine Porter hitting the open market after the season unless they can't get a deal done. Andy is a disaster season. Benton, you might be like, I want to see one more year he has a really good year, and then you're fighting thirty one other teams, you know what I mean, Like, just because you're not, I doubt he's franchisable. He'd have to have an unbelievable season, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Whereas Joey with where he's kind of at as a top five yeah, yeah, at his position, you wouldn't mind paying that ticket price.
Speaker 3: Right right right, And he might not love it, but it's still you know, it ensures you don't.
Speaker 2: He has just walk out the door, right, and it would be a nice payday for him as much.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's guaranteed money for a year too.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So that's where we're at here with a quiet couple of weeks but a big looming story on the horizon. Matt, what happens first? Because so if I'm and this is again, I gotta be careful because it's same but different with what we're heading into a training camp here. The first Saturday of training camp is always that welcome back to football Saturday. Yeah, if you remember that, Yeah, yeah, it would be like like Mike Tom Wild always ta the microphone and do a quick little you know, sixty second thanks to get out and all that stuff. That would also be the day.
Speaker 3: I assume they'll do that, but who knows back to our how we started this segment.
Speaker 2: And I would assume in the past that's been the day that they've announced unveiled the Steelers new Hall of Honor class. Correct, Okay, so if that again, hand up, I gotta we gotta, we gotta get boots on the ground, and yeah, exactly how everything's gonna play out this year. But if that's the way that it's been done in the past. What happens first, Joey Porter junior contract extension or new Hall of Honor class announced for the Steelers.
Speaker 3: I think new Hall of Honor class. I think the Porter thing could linger.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 3: It might not get done until, like you know, the Steelers always like to put a deadline on it. They don't like negotiate during the season. It could be the day before, you know, the well after that. Yeah, we might be talking about this the entire time we're in Latrobe.
Speaker 2: Who knows, from a content perspective, wouldn't be the worst thing, No, right, right right, Just getting started here on this Monday New week, big week for the Steelers, as I mean, I was gonna say they'll be heading out to La Trobe tomorrow, but really just the players. Everybody else is already there, coaches reported yesterday Coaching staff TV our intrepet video producer Tyler v mister TV. He sent us a picture of the lovely grounds of campus, those three football fields looking immaculate out there at Chuck Nolefield.
Speaker 3: I'm heading Wednesday morning.
Speaker 2: Wednesday morning. Yeah, I'm going out. I'm going out tomorrow. So yeah, so it'll be it'll be all happening here real quick, and Matt and I will be excited to bring it all to you and paint the picture for those of you who will not be able to make it out to Latrobe for a for a trek to training camp this summer. Just getting started here on this Monday, plenty more to get to as we lay kind of the groundwork for the week ahead. Here you'll learn Williamson. It's the drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: And now a word from our sponsor, bud Light. There's nothing better than the clean crisp. There's nothing better than the clean crisp. Uh what if we just got out of here and grab some bud Lights. Man, We're on air for four more hours.
Speaker 3: I'll figure it out.
Speaker 6: Sounds good to me.
Speaker 7: Anything for the clean, crisp taste of bud Light stocked up now. Bud Light, easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and you're responsibly copyright twenty twenty six and hyser Busch, bud Light, Meer, Saint Louis, Missouri.
Speaker 8: I used to have cable Internet, but I'm a one hundred percent kind of fan, so I switched to Verizon FiOS. It's one hundred percent fiber Internet that's super reliable. So I streamed one hundred percent of the NFL Draft live with the ultra low lag and after what went down in the first round, still getting video calls from my best friend rubbing it in that he called all the picks.
Speaker 4: I told you they were building their own line. I went to bet good.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent fiber Internet with Verizon FiOS, because when it comes to your team, it's one hundred percent or nothing. Called one of three three for Riizon to switch today.
Speaker 4: Get that hot dog costume ready, Bruh.
Speaker 1: You were tuned about Drive on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Back on the Drive here on this Monday, as July is just about finished, and that means it is training camp time for your Pittsburgh Steelers and for all thirty two teams across the NFL. So we are in the last hours, the last final days of list season here, Matt Williams said, before things start to get real, and I wanted to take a look with you today. Our buddy John Ledgard his top twenty five tiers and rankings for tight ends heading out this twenty sixth season.
Speaker 3: So I read it today. I think John does great, great work. I think he's one of the leading just seems like i'm selling him short. Should be better well known than he is as a scouting you know, he has a real job, so he you know, he does some other things as well. I urge everyone to check out his substack, and I am a subscriber, and he sent this and I thought it was really interesting. But I also thought it was interesting more so than the list. Well it correlates. You can tell by his list how much he values blocking, and the league is really going towards these blocking tight ends. We saw it in the draft. You've been living under a rock if you haven't heard Sean McVay like thirteen personnelity, you know, and yeah, so if you're just receiver only, and I thought John's list was really good for this, you can handicap your team a little bit. Like I read his kincaid write up for the Bills. Who's probably lower on this list than you think, because really he's kind of a big receiver. I mean, like, he's really interesting. So I've been I did a lot of fantasy homework this week while I was away too, just reading profiles and getting an idea who I'm involved with and blah blah blah. So if you look at like Kincaid's metrics per route yards per route run, things of that nature, they're really really high. They're up there with like the hours and McBride's and things like that. When he's on the field how effective he is. But it's a little bit of a cheat because there's a lot of like fantasy analysts saying, well, if the Bills just finally dedicate themselves to Kincaid full time, you can extrapolate all his points and he's going to be bowers like production. Well they don't because he's only out there on third down because he can't block anybody. So I don't think there all of a sudden going to do that. They're going to put a wide receiver out there, because that's really what he is. Gadson with the Chargers, you got to be pretty special because it's hard to create mismatches. It's harder to be you know, Gadson's a great example, or Kincaid. It's like, Okay, they're really good mismatch guys for a tight end. That doesn't mean that they're easier to harder to cover than Michael Pittman. I might as well just put Pittman out there, you know what I mean, who's probably an equal blocker even though he's got a WR next to his name. So I thought it was cool that John really put value in two way every doown you know, type of type of guys you know, and even mentions there's no Rob Gronkowski walking the earth right now. He's the epitome, you know, where there's just no answer.
Speaker 2: There's there's no answer, right And that's what I'm Matt. Every every off season. There's overarching themes across the league that that you do a really good job of laying out and I think how people have have gone back to wanting heavier, big, bigger, more more blocking capable tight ends has been one of those things. Yeah, over the last couple of months, Matt. I know, we typically start at the back of lists, but when he tears them, I kind of like the top, if that's all right with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Tier one has four names. Number one brock Bowers, Number two Trey McBride.
Speaker 3: Let me stop you super quick, because those two are going there is gonna.
Speaker 2: Be some're gonna be one and two forever and in the.
Speaker 3: Fantasy world those guys because we don't care about blocking in fantasy. Blah blah blah. I'll bring up fantasy a little bit just because it's a fantasy relevant position. But those are the top two off the board and every fantasy draft right now. Not to mention Kittle's coming off an injury, and you know, Kelsey's getting old, you know.
Speaker 2: I think those two are are are a very very fitting number one in two, yes, and then Colson Loveland number three and George Kittle number four. That's his Tier one.
Speaker 3: And I read the Kittle right up and I agree with this too that he said Kittle, if healthy and he's judging them where they are right now, would have a case to be number one. And I've said that for years. With all respect to Kelsey, who's a tremendous player, I think Kittle's been overshadowed by Kelsey a little bit over his career and maybe might be the most underrated tight end in NFL history because he's the most gronk like of any of them in terms of he's a killer in the run game, he's great after the catch. I mean, he is such a difference maker and Loveland. I was a little shocked to see this high, but I couldn't agree more. I mean in terms of like buying stock on a young guy an ip O that by Loveland, why you still can because he has a extremely high ceiling. It was a better blocker than I thought too.
Speaker 2: That is your Tier one, those four and yeah, Loveland, I tell you what, after one year, he's he's clearly clearly on the rise. Tier two leads off with a show favorite here. Tucker Craft comes in at number five. John says he might have been number one on this list if he wouldn't have torn his ACL in week nine.
Speaker 3: I thought that was a bold statement, but I don't think it's nuts, and we saw it in the.
Speaker 2: First first eight weeks were unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable because he's also really rugged in a blocker.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: Tier two is just two guys, Tucker Craft at five and Sam Laporta of the Detroit Lions at six to NFC North.
Speaker 3: And Laporta gets lumped in a little too much of finesse guy. I mean, he's put up big numbers, but he'll more than hold his own as a blocker, which is super important. A lot of Iowa represent this, right, pretty nuts. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Tier three starts with the seventh ranked overall tight end, Tyler Warren, another young guy. Hm. Of course, so the Indianapolis Colts former Penn State Nitney Lyon. Number eight, Brenton Strange, another former Penn State stock to see.
Speaker 3: Him that high, but he's really important to them.
Speaker 2: He sure has got a nice contract extension this offseason for the for the Parkers.
Speaker 3: Even though their first pick, Okay, even though their first pick was a tight end.
Speaker 2: Right, He's one of those guys that I always come out, Yeah, yeah, Anderson not recruiting, but we won't go down that run, right, We've traveled that path before. Number nine A. J. Barner of the Seahawks. Number ten, Kyle Pitts of the Falcons. Still at number eleven, Travis Kelcey of the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: I mean, he definitely has that old man game of finding the soft spots and zones and things of that nature. Red zone, you know, when you need a big catch on third and eight, I think he's gonna get still those targets. He's never a great blocker, he doesn't move like he once did. I mean, the big play threats not really there. Barner is a perfect example of what we said though to start the show. He won't be in any fantasy leagues. He might be by week five you pick him up, but he never leaves the field. He allows everybody else on offense to do so much more. I mean, he's kind because he's a hammer, is a blocker, and he really has no discernible weaknesses as a receiver. If you've this position as many as any is your your weaknesses are almost as important as your straints.
Speaker 2: You know, and your usage and the yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, you're just telling the defense too much. If John who's out there versus Darnel being out there? You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's like the you always mentioned when dree Archer came onto the field. Uh the yeah. What he says about AJ Barner is basically outside of the premier guys at this position. Barner is everything that you envision in a tight end. Can I run my entire offense without taking him off the field? Yes? Is he an asset in every situation scheme and personnel grouping yes? Can he move people at the point of attack yes? Can you get out in space and be effective yes? This will be.
Speaker 3: Those are great question to ask for this position. If you can check those boxes for true yes for all of them, that's a lot of value.
Speaker 2: He's one of the better all aroun round options in the NFL. According to John Ledgard, so Kelsey was at eleven. We're still in tier three here, another guy coming off his rookie year. A lot of young guys on this list. Harold Fannon of the Browns checks in at number twelve.
Speaker 3: He's a weird evaluation.
Speaker 2: He is because he had a really good rookie season, great numbers. They schemed up a ton around him, and they did didn't have much else going.
Speaker 3: That's the thing is, they didn't have anybody else to still like the worst offense in the league. They didn't have anyone else to really get the football. I think he's going to have a good career and better than I thought coming out of school. He kind of runs funny, and you know, he's not a normal prototypical tight end prospect coming out of school. But he's better than I thought. I also think if I was if I had that stock, I might sell it now. You know. While it's a little high.
Speaker 2: Thirteen. Colby Parkinson of the Rams.
Speaker 3: That's a name that might chalk people with Barner. That's hot for all like the same reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fourteen of this parish, Darnell Washington of the Pittsburgh at.
Speaker 3: A friar movie, which I said.
Speaker 2: In Tier three, god bless you, Matt Williamson. And then number fifteen and overall in closing down Tier three here Kate Aughten of the Bucks. So Darnell in the top fifteen in tier three.
Speaker 3: And John coincidentally or not does a lot of work with the Steelers and the Bucks in particular. He's covered both teams to some regard, and I don't think he misses a snap for either team. But he's doubt in for the entire league. But Auten's another perfect example. It's like he may not have a great strength, but I can leave him out there for all things, and he can do all things well. Darnell's a weird one, I mean, just because nobody looks like him on this yes, yeah, right, and no one wants to tangle with that guy.
Speaker 2: Darnell looks like some of those warriors in the Odyssey that they found on the one item that are like seven foot tall and tower over everybody. Here's the rite up for Darnell Washington from John Ledgard quote. Washington is operated in one of the worst passing attacks in the NFL during his career, which is hindered production. As his coaches start to understand his robust skill set. Impressive statistical outputs have followed at least on a per catch and per route basis. Yeah, last year, you know.
Speaker 3: He's not gonna catch ady balls, right, Yeah?
Speaker 2: Last year, Washington was ninth amongst tight ends in yards per route run. He broke twelve tackles, he averaged almost seven and a half yards after the catch, and is one of the best blocking tight ends in the league.
Speaker 3: Real quick. It's interesting that he's that high in what's it yards per route run that he says yes because his average depth of routes are not far downfield.
Speaker 2: Yards after catching, yards after contact.
Speaker 3: Throw a safety in the ground and keep running.
Speaker 2: You know, he would be a valuable asset for all thirty two teams and is the epitome of the type of player teams are targeting earlier than fans expected in this pass draft.
Speaker 3: Exactly, I mean that these teams that took a blocking tight end. So I even said this on draft day. If Darnell would have came out in this class. He goes at least around earlier. Yeah, top fifty for sure, and he came out in a really good tight end class too. But I mean, he's exactly what teams are looking for.
Speaker 2: Into Tier four here. Number sixteen overall is Juwan Johnson of the Saints. Number seventeen Pat Fryarmuth of the Steelers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I thought his write up was interesting too, And frankly, I mean you can read it, but he blames coaching more than he blames friar Mouth for the inconsistent.
Speaker 2: Kind of similar to Washington.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the best well designed, you know, passing game right throughout these last couple of years.
Speaker 3: And we've said all along, there's been many Mondays that we've gotten together during the season. The last two years were like, hey, you gotta get the ball right right unless they play the Bengals.
Speaker 2: He says, this is a big year for friar Mooth. At some point, you have to produce at an above average level. He hasn't done that in a volume since over the last three years. Given that he is an average rum blocker who's at his best playing next to a true inline tight end. Fire Mouth needs to prove he can be a true difference maker in the passing game to stay highly ranked.
Speaker 3: So I've often quoted the football Siders FTN metrics and things, and they put something out recently about receivers lining in the slot versus wide. Friar Mouth was really like the best tight end in the league when aligned in the slot, and I really think this staff is going to do a lot of that. I think Darnell's going to line up next to a tackle. I think friar moof is going to be detached, and I think you're gonna see Pittman and Metcalf on the outside, which is enormous first of all, but I also think it is another thing we'll have a much better clue on a week from now. McCarthy has been such a heavy eleven guy. But if it means taken in Washington or Friarmuth off the field for Bernard, I don't know that I'm into that, you know. I mean because he's also used like Finley and Ferguson with the Cowboys in a very friar Mooth like manner.
Speaker 2: That's one of I think the real X factors for this offseason. Yeah, number eighteen from across the Commonwealth. It's Dallas Goddard of the Eagles.
Speaker 3: He's declining a little bit, but right right.
Speaker 2: Speaking of across the Commonwealth, that was the big sports story that we missed all Lebron James in the state of part Oh. Wow, did you see the news today? He's going to commute from New York City. No, that's kind of that seems a little wild, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: I asson, Let's have a driver take him back and forth. I was not going to a train.
Speaker 2: I was thinking like helicopter, something like that. Number eighteen, Dallas Goddard of the Iggles, nineteen, Cole Comet of the Bears, and the name you just mentioned at number twenty, Jake Ferguson of the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And guys like Comet and Ferguson and Schultz who will get to aren't flashy. You know, you hope Friar moves above them in terms of after the catch separation speed. But they also don't have glaring holes either. The guys I just mentioned, like, they're all good enough at everything. You know, you'd like the upgrade, but you can still run your offense and answer a lot of those questions he put out before.
Speaker 2: So Comet at nineteen, Ferguson at twenty, Dalton Schultz at twenty one, hm Theo Johnson of the Giants at twenty two.
Speaker 3: He's one of my faves because he was really really raw coming out of Penn State. He's got some darnell to him in terms of just gigantic hans long arms. I think he was like two seventy at his combine.
Speaker 2: Eighty one inch wingspan.
Speaker 3: Wow, and you know, now Harbaugh's getting a hold of them and matching him up with like Ricard and some of the Ravens like stuff they do. He could be a breakout guy. Again, don't draft him a blessy. I mean, he's not gonna catch sixty balls, but he could be a breakout guy.
Speaker 2: Twenty three, Dalton Kincaid. So we get Dalton Schultz at twenty one, Dalton Kincaid at twenty three, Terrence Ferguson of the Rams at twenty four, and then remember this was a top twenty five list. So rounding out the list, Hunter Henry of the New England Patriots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ferguson after one year flashed a lot, but he's also not the he's like the Steelers or Rams have two guys on the list, and then he also has just missed or yes there's guys like Mark Andrews. It probably should be on the list, but he didn't know what to do with them at their age or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know, So honorable mention is Gadson of the Chargers who you talk about just missed the cut, Tyler Higbee, Isaiah Likely and go conk Will and then clouded by questions over injury and age. TJ. Hockettson, Mark Andrews and David and Joku.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that that last trio to me or I wouldn't know where to rank them, Like there's a good chance all three of them are better than Jake Ferguson, you know what I mean. They've had better careers. They're accomplished, but they have they'ret the crossroads of their career and at their ages. Usually it goes the wrong way. However, tight ends fade away slow. You know, we talked about this a lot. I mean, I think it's changed, but I've referenced in a million times sitting down with Vance McDonald and saying, you know, Vance, hey, you're twenty seven years old. By the way, friar Mith twenty seven years old. Does it make sense to you that that's when tight ends hit their peak, which is much later than running backs and wide receivers. He's like, absolutely, absolutely, Now, I bet that number is lower than that now. But the other thing is Kelsey Gonzalez, all these dudes, they fade away slow. He's Miller Witten, you know. I mean, his guys are smart and old, Manta why you.
Speaker 2: Know, even Gronk right with him coming out of retirement and still being one of the best tight ends in the National Football League down in Tampa. So there's your tight ends rankings and tears from John Ledgard. As we kind of get to uh, we'll still do some list stuff during training camp os.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're there.
Speaker 2: We got to take a look at some of those Jeremy Fowler lists, catch up on some of those two. Definitely, hopefully we'll have Jeremy on that. That was one thing that I was thinking about the difference to in the past. Matt and I were always on from two. We'll be on from three to six, by the way, this year.
Speaker 3: Mat, yeah, yeah, we always bring it. Bring it on home.
Speaker 2: It'll be nine to six live on SNR every single day, so nine hours of coverage every day. It'll start with Bob Labriola and Tom op from end of the mornings nice, and it'll end with you and I from three to six in the afternoon slash early evening. There we'll miss having practice going on while we're there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was fun and nice.
Speaker 2: Kind of low hanging fruit A lot of times think about this though. The good part is it was always near impossible for you and I to get guests.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I guess that's because practice.
Speaker 2: Was going on, and then all those journalists had to file their stories to do their Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And now with practice probably being over two hours before we go on air, I'm at least optimistic we'll be able to nab us guests this training.
Speaker 3: Case before you go to dinner.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping that'll be the case. Is we kind of wait and.
Speaker 3: Again, just like we started the show, it's going to be a little different.
Speaker 2: A little bit different, a little bit different, little differences. We will close down the first hour of this program when we return, Yuller and Williamson. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: And now a word from our sponsor, Bud Light There's nothing better than the clean crisp. There's nothing better than the clean crisp. Uh, what if we just got out of here and grab some bud Lights. Man, we're on air for four more hours.
Speaker 7: I'll figure it out. Sounds good to me. Anything the clean crisp taste of bud Light stocked up now. Bud Light easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and you're responsibly Copyright twenty twenty six and hyser Busch bud Light, Meer, Saint Louis, Missouri.
Speaker 8: I used to have cable Internet, but I'm a one hundred percent kind of fan, so I switched to Verizon FiOS. It's one hundred percent fiber internet that's super reliable. So I streamed one hundred percent of the NFL Draft live with the ultra low lag and after what went down in the first round, still getting video calls from my best friend rubbing it in that he called all the picks.
Speaker 4: I told you they were building their own line. I went to bet good.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent fiber Internet with Verizon FiOS because when it comes to your team, it's one hundred percent or nothing. Called one of three three for Verizon to switch today can.
Speaker 4: Get that hot dog costume ready, Bruh your tunes.
Speaker 1: About drive on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: A few minutes here for our final segment of this first hour and hour number two, we'll get to more of your tweets and some some more large at NFL at Large conversation as we get ready for a big week across the league. Matt uh still get in the tweets, not you know, not quite as crazy over the last two weeks.
Speaker 3: We didn't know when they get read right, but I.
Speaker 2: Love it and I did want to make sure people know once we get in season, once we get to September, we won't be doing Twitter segments every single day. They'll just be too much to get to.
Speaker 3: We'll still we'll still get to them, and.
Speaker 2: We still obviously want you guys to tweet us. And there'll be times where we're in the middle of a topic and we reference a tweet or something. You know, someone makes a good point or someone asks an interesting angle. But throughout training camp and especially with the bonus third hour of the shows that we're gonna have for the next few weeks, keep those tweets rolling in baby.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, get get back on top of that, because we'll get We'll be doing them like crazy from camp, especially with that extra hour. Yep. And you know how I always say, you know, pull the curtain back, you know, like we just had this quick conversation. We just had two pretty long segments. Well this one therefore has to be short, you know. So they're like, well, it's a good time to do five minutes. Ord of the tweets, we still might do those during the season, you know, like we got a segment here to kill. Yes, yeah, keep them coming, right.
Speaker 2: Steelers play on a Monday or a Thursday or yeah week and so the schedules a little different, but yeah, keep those tweets rolling in all the time, but especially here, still over over the next month plus till we get to the regular season and things really start flying. This one from Sudesh caught my eye. Matt. He says, as we approach training camp, can we get one story about Tounch and Wolf? So I was thinking about this. Here's a good one for you. Yeah, We've shared a lot of great stories, but I don't know if I've ever told this one. My very first twenty eighteen was my first training camp. I did a little bit of on air stuff, but I was mostly just behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see your feet wet right setting up.
Speaker 2: The stuff, you know. I'd start every morning, I think it was eight am or nine am with Tounch and and and Wolf that would roll into you and Dale and then I think Crowley did you know, like his own show.
Speaker 3: I am trying to, like I remember what the lineup was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, from from like nine to five, I'd be engineering on campus and then we'd all go to Sharky's or Dino's or wherever we were doing the night shows and have a couple of night shows as well. I'll never forget one of those. It's one of my first days. So I'm nervous. I'm like, you know, I'm on edge with everything the job and Tounch and Wolf did a three hour show and during training camp only they did a three hour show kind of like us, and their last hour of the show would always be phone calls because those two, those two would get out would get a million phone calls.
Speaker 3: And phone calls are more they're up their alley than tweets.
Speaker 2: Yes, they probably don't even know what tweets were back in twenty eighteen, and I'll never forget. It was one of my first days. And they're in the middle of taking calls, and I'm kind of like I would kind of sit between the two, like they would sit on the ends of the table and look at each other, and I'd kind of be in between, and that way I could work the headsets and if they had guests sit down that whole thing. They're in the middle of taking calls, taking calls, taking calls, and I look over and Touch is passed out of sleep. I mean he's like leaned back in his chair. Early morning eight am show or whatever it was. Uh, coffee is probably wearing off at that time, right, yeah, no, d no video point nothing. We're also not in the press box at this point either.
Speaker 3: We're outside, so press box is air conditioned by the way hot.
Speaker 2: And Touch almost like he's like sitting on the beach or sitting by the pool. Like he's like leaned back in his chair. He's got his hands behind his head, his headset on, and his mouth is just gaping open, and he's asleep. And he's asleep, and I notice it, and I'm like, I like, if I if I tap him on the shoulders. He gonna get pissed off.
Speaker 3: It was a year later.
Speaker 2: How are you doing?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So I look at so my first thought is just like I just I don't I just want to make sure Wolf realizes this, you know, because maybe like Wolf can go to break or whatever, you know, like maybe he joke about at her handle the phone calls, and so Tounch is like leaned back, eyes slumped. He's just out, mouth open, and Wolf is like into whatever the person was asking on the phone, not paying attention. So I kind of like, you know, like I can't remember if I wave or like tap him on the shoulder, and I kind of like point to touch and Wolf just beam. I mean, he just gets this massive bread across his face and gives me the like one minute, just wait, one minute, one minute. Whoever the guy or girl asking the question on the phone finishes up, and Wolf goes, I don't know, that's a great question.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 4: Touch? Touch?
Speaker 3: You know, like out of his chairs, like we didn't cover.
Speaker 2: At all, totally threw him under the bus. And I was like, yeah, touch, what do you think about that?
Speaker 3: We talked a great detail about You've been listening, what do you think.
Speaker 2: It's like Touch is like, I don't know, Wolf, you go first, Wolf's like, no, I really want to hear what you have to think about. Totally threw him under the bus. So that one, that one I don't think I've ever told that on That was just like my third or fourth day and exactly what you should watch this.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna put them.
Speaker 2: On the spot. And then we laughed about it for the rest of camp, like every time.
Speaker 3: It's funny. If you told me that story, I would have thought it was the other way around.
Speaker 2: Totally right, right, But like all throughout the rest of camp, anytime Jim Wexel would come sit down with them and do a segment, or Jerry Doulac would come sit down with them do a segment, Wolf would be like, now, Touch, make sure you don't fall asleep on our guests here. Like the next three weeks, it was so good.
Speaker 3: That's so good.
Speaker 2: Miss those guys, certainly, and it's gonna be listen, come up a lot these next I was just gonna say, not just because the new coaching staff for the first time in nineteen years, but no Touch, no Wolf, no Dale. I don't mean the first time without any of those three guys, their their names will will come up a lot, and we'll be doing stories and remembering them fondly. Hour in the books, Another hour to go. Wesh Uler, Matt Williamson. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.