Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind. Today we are re airing our July fourth episode from last year. It is the nineteen ninety nine Frontier cannibal horror film Ravenous. It was a real joy to revisit this film. I feel like it is just as strong today as it was back when it came out, and has just as much to say, some strong performances throughout. Big fan of this movie and happy to share this episode with you once more.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb and this is Joe McCormick. Today is July the fourth Independence Day in the United States, as many of our American listeners can attest to, and I think our international listeners can also attest to to varying degrees and understand, national patriotic holidays like this can be really weird to process. They are at their they're very least a time of celebrating certain ideals while often ignoring the more complex or even problematic elements of a nation's history and place in the world. I often find myself just like end up with a day off on the on the fourth, and I'm just like, what am I doing? What? What's the game plan? I guess I'll watch some fireworks and you know, this year I made some space for today's.
Speaker 3: Movie, oh, on the fourth of July itself, or just an advance of like are you gonna watch it again on the fourth?
Speaker 1: Who knows what I'll do? But I mean, you know, given publication delays, you know, I couldn't actually watch it on the fourth, but in anticipation of the fourth.
Speaker 3: I see, typically if we watch a movie on the fourth of July, it's Jaws, that's you know, for obvious reasons. Fourth of July is a big holiday. In the narrative of Jaws, It's very much a summer movie. And I don't know, it just kind of feels right, especially if the day involves, like otherwise being outdoors or barbecuing or something. At some point you come inside, sit down and watch Jaws. I think we we haven't really done this fully and in a few years since my daughter was born, But I don't know, I think we're working our way back up to it at some point. And another tradition we used to have. This may sound a little bit cheesy, but so we used to like read Walt Whitman out loud in our house on the fourth of July. It's it's a good thing to do. I recommend that nice.
Speaker 1: Nice. Well, these are both solid, solid choices, especially Jaws, and because again the greatest primordial summer blockbuster in many respects. I mean, it's set the set the blueprint for blockbusters to follow. But also, you know, Jaws, in its own interesting way at least dips its toes into some contemplation about America.
Speaker 3: Hmm, I have to think about that. Okay, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think it's it's in there. But the picture that we've selected here is nineteen ninety nine's Ravenous. Of note, this is only our second nineteen ninety nine film. The only other film from nineteen ninety nine that we've watched is Deep Blue Sea, a shark movie.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, interesting connection. You know, maybe it's not just the narrative of Jaws that ties into the Fourth of July. There is something very American feeling about the subgenre of the shark film that's just part of the national identity. Looking for connections between Deep Blue Sea and Ravenous. Not a huge amount in terms of I don't know the feel or content, but I guess they're both very much about eating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Deep Blue Sy very much feels like a nineteen ninety nine film. Ravenous in many ways just really feels out of place, Like it feels like maybe its soul is more seated I don't know, in the nineteen seventies or or in a way it's almost like a blueprint of things that might come later. And as well as I don't think anybody knew what to do with this film when it came out in nineteen ninety nine, no one knew how to market it, and no but and a lot of people didn't really know how to receive it.
Speaker 3: It is one of those artifacts like floating outside of time. It feels like it doesn't really fit in exactly anywhere. It is a strange. There are strange anachronisms within it, like this is a period movie set in the eighteen forties, and something I think, especially about the sound track leans a little bit into the sound of a nineteenth century music, you know. It involves like some accordion voicings and banjos and fiddles and things like that, but also has these electronic elements that kind of pull it out of the time space in which you're supposed to be imagining it, and it as a result, it does kind of feel like this this alien object that's just kind of like inserted randomly into the last one hundred years of culture. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The soundtrack, the score, especially as we'll discuss, gives it this kind of vibe of something ancient that is clawing its way up into the modern world. So I originally saw this one back more or less when it first came out. I did not see it in the theaters. I don't know how many people actually did. I caught it on home video, maybe even VHS, I'm not sure. Probably it's probably DVD. This was a time when DVD was really getting into the vibe. But I have to say it really impressed me back then. I was a rather different person back then, but it still impressed me when I rewatched it today. I think it certainly has its flaws, and we'll touch on some of those, but it's quite exceptional in its rumination on its central thesis, which it rolls out I think with enough care and nuance that it invites us to further ruminate on what this film means and what it's saying without transforming the picture into a kind of blunt instrument of social or political commentary.
Speaker 3: You know, something about the setting in time and place, and the fact that it takes place among kind of military officers within, you know, a couple of decades of the US Civil War makes it feel like it should have some kind of political historical commentary. Whatever political historical commentary is there, feels kind of subtle to me. I would say overall, the main themes are more of a classic morality struggle, but with Gonzo Freddy Krueger elements.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's right. Yeah, I think it ultimately strikes a nice balance in its commentary. I do think if it had been made ten years ago instead of twenty six years ago, I think it would have been more aggressive in its critique. I think it might have been a little blunter and and I don't know, it's these are big what ifs, but I can easily imagine a picture that was ultimately less successful. So, if you're not familiar with nineteen ninety nine Ravenous, this is a weird one. Ravenus is a frontier cannibal movie set in eighteen forties California. It draws clear inspiration from both the Donner Party and then and the confessions of alleged cannibal Alfred Packer, And there's also a dash of Windigo of lore from Algonquin folklore. Now, given this premise, you might well expect a couple of different possible treatments. You might think, Okay, this is gonna be an exploitive horror movie. This is gonna be like a gonzo maybe even euro cannibal film like we saw in the seventies and eighties, including Cannibal Apocalypse, which we've covered on Weird House Cinema, partially filmed right over here in Decatur.
Speaker 3: I'd say there are some special effects sequences that are similar to Cannibal Apocalypse. Yeah, there's some kind of shoving of organs into the mouth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they definitely. They definitely get in there and paint with those brushstrokes. But at the same time, it doesn't really go overboard there either. I wouldn't set so if you come into this wanting like a complete gore fest, it might not deliver, certainly by sort of like fangoria standards.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At the same time, yeah, you might think, well, this is about cannibalism, and cannibalism is inherently funny. There's no denying it. No matter how serious your treatment of cannibalism is, you can't help but get a yuck in there, you know, somewhere or another, in part because cannibalism is such a dark topic. But then there it also there are just so many potentially humorous wrinkles to the concept.
Speaker 3: Cannibalism really lends itself to puns and word play, a little double on tondras in sentences. Have you noticed that I feel like almost more than basically anything except sex, cannibalism is just like the double on tundras leap out of the language for you, right, and.
Speaker 1: Then they often go back into sex as well. So it's just it's all over the place. And so you might well think, well, this is going to be a you know, a grizzly comedy, maybe along the lines of Trey Parker's Cannibal the Musical, which came out in nineteen ninety three, based in part on the Alfred Packer account which I just referenced. And it to be clear, this film does have its intentional laughs, but it also shows a great deal of restraint here as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is I would say a good bit of humor in this movie, but it's way less overt than in Cannibal the musical. I mean, this is not, in any sense played for comedy. Instead, it's one of those It's a dark story that is through and through dark on its face, and I think the viewer is expected to find little ironic amusements throughout it, you know, like you're having a little chuckle, but there's nothing, no juicy comedy happening on screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think it's generally on the money to think of Ravenous as a horror film. Absolutely. I'm not going to make an argument that it doesn't belong in that section of the video rental store, but I think when you look at it, yeah, it also tends to defy categorization in other ways, and I think the studio clearly didn't know what to make of it. Audiences and critics also tended to respond as such. I believe Ebert really liked it, but I think a lot of people just didn't know what to make of it. No one really knew what to do with a serious minded cannibal slash sort of vampire frontier film, reflecting on, you know, to a certain extent, on the dark side of American destiny and capitalism or at least human nature.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean nothing marketers hate more than something that takes too many words to describe. Yes, it's just like hard to market something that doesn't really fit its jenre tropes very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as such, the original marketing for this film is just I mostly just hate all of it. I hate all the posters in box art for it. All of it's just kind of like ugly looking. I don't like the trailer, and I don't think any of this has changed. It's weird, like, this is a film that has definitely developed its own cult following over the years, and it's readily available. It's been re released, you know, in Blu ray and so forth, but the packaging is still more or less the same. I picked up the box at at Video Drome here in Atlanta, and it's on the recent Shout Factory release, which is very nice as all these extras that were originally on the DVD release. And it's the same description the box states quote it's a recipe for NonStop action and excitement when the inhabitants of an isolated military outpost go up against a marauding band of cannibals in a deadly struggle for survival.
Speaker 3: That doesn't even accurately describe the plot. No, but then it also gets the tone roll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the tone is totally incorrect here, Like, I love this film, but it is not a recipe for NonStop action and excitement.
Speaker 3: It is Also it's not that this makes it sound like it's like a bunch of soldiers having a shootout with a cannibal gang that had like it's mad Max or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or maybe the thing. You know, there's some comparisons to be made there, but yeah, totally different vibe.
Speaker 3: It's actually closer to the thing than what this makes it sound like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So my alternate elevator pitch for this would be cannibalism American style. But even that makes it sound like it's going to be more of a comedy than it actually is.
Speaker 3: If I could give it a slightly pretentious elevator pitch, I'll cite a line from the movie. The characters in the movie discuss a believe a Benjamin Franklin quote where they say, eat to live, don't live to eat. Now, that's an interesting aphorism. This movie explores what that aphorism means when you have to interrogate the meaning of both live and eat.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, I'm gonna skip the trailer since I've already established that I don't really like it. I would recommend, I even if you've not seen the film, I'd recommend just going in cold and experiencing it. And you know, don't even look at the box, don't even look at the posters. But but if you want to watch it on your own, it is widely available for digital rent and purchase. The Shout Factory Blu ray is definitely the pick for physical media. It contains numerous extras, including no fewer than three commentary tracks. I believe these were on the original release. This is just that period I believe for excitement for regarding disc extras, so they just went all out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the original release of this movie on DVD had little like little Easter eggs in the menus. Oh yes, something you could like navigate over to and click and it would play like a I don't know, you'd have like a dancing Robert Carlyle and.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, yeah, yeah, this is when they did all of that stuff, and I have to admit I haven't really gone into the extras on the disc. I feel like this is sometimes I really like to do that with the film for a weird House and get more of the backstory. This, I really feel like, is a film that just speaks so well for itself as itself. But you know, sometime down the line, I might really get into the extras because they look really good. You've got Carlisle and Bird doing a commentary track, You've got you know, various other individuals involved in the production, and yeah, I'm sure it's all really good stuff.
Speaker 3: One thing I would say before we go any further is that, of course, always on Weird House Cinema, we end up talking about the plot in some amount of detail as we go on, and that will include spoilers for the story. In cases where I think, you know, you might want to go in without anything spoiled, I throw a warning up. I think this is probably one of those. This is a movie where you might want to watch it without any of the surprises ruined. So so fair warning, folks. If you haven't seen the movie you feel like you want to, this might be a good place to pause and go check it out before listening further.
Speaker 1: All right, we've given you the warning, so now we're going to get into the meat of the people involved in this production, starting at the top. The director to hear is Antonia Byrd, who lived nineteen fifty one through twenty thirteen English TV and film director and also occasional producer. Her TV credits go back to the early eighties, working on various series and TV movies, including some work in the long running series EastEnders. In ninety four, she directed the film Priest starring Linus Roach, Tom Wilkinson and Robert Carlyle, which earned her a BAFF denomination among other honors. She followed this up with nineteen ninety five's Mad Love, no relation to the Peter Lourie picture. This one starred Chris o'donnald and Drew Barrymore. But what if it had been a remake of Mad.
Speaker 3: Love starring Chris O'Donnell Andrew Chris O'Donnell as.
Speaker 1: In the role of a lifetime in the Peter Lourie role.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 1: She also did nineteen ninety seven's Face, a crime drama starring Robert Carlyle alongside ray Winston. Ravenous would be her last feature film, but she continued to work in television, directing a handful of TV movies and episodes of show like I five and Cracker. She was one of the UK's leading female directors by many estimates. She sadly passed away following a battle with cancer. Now it is important to include a brief note about the production here. So first of all, just incidentally, this movie was filmed primarily in Slovakia and the Czech Republic, So I think all of these scenes that are supposed to be the American Frontier are actually Europe. And then the scenes that take place in Mexico were actually filmed in Mexico.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Bird was apparently a last minute replacement for a different director, a Macedonian director, Milt show Manchewski, And I'm not sure on the details there ultimately not important, but amid discussions of who are we going to get into who's going to step in and direct this picture? Now we're getting down to the last minute. You know, the cast, everything, all these these expensive pieces are in place, and it's Robert Carlyle who reportedly suggested that they get Bird done. His previous work with her.
Speaker 3: It was clearly a good move. You can feel something about something that is really working in this movie is a kind of playfulness and a freedom to experiment that I think you can feel coming from the top. At least that's my sense in watching it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I believe that's the sense that you get when you read interview pieces from Carlisle about the picture. So he had worked with her on episodes of TVs The Bill Cracker, as well as an anthology series called Screenplay. The episode that Bird directed was a nineteen ninety three episode titled Safe that centered around homelessness and also feature Aidan Gillen and Kate Hardy. So yeah, he always he seems like he always spoke very highly of citing her collaborative spirit and her on set demeanor. In a nineteen ninety nine interview with The Guardian that, to be clear, was promoting this picture, he said the following about power dynamics on productions, Antonia is very different from most directors in thinking that way, the more you do in your career and the more success you get, you can pick and choose. But I've been confronted with a power thing from directors before and that's what makes Antonia refreshing because she doesn't have that. It's a collaborative thing. It's about trust, and you build up trust over a period of years, and therefore you will do anything for each other.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, So if I'm interpreting that right, that does match the feeling I get from watching the movie where it is. You get the sense that this is the kind of production where people were just trying things. People might do something weird, and then it's like, oh, that kind of works, let's go with that, yeah, instead of a director just draconian ly to you know, bossing everybody around and saying, no, I've got a vision, do it this way.
Speaker 1: And of course all that makes sense when we get into the cast here in just a minute, because it's a great cast of character actors and experienced the stage and screen actors, and so you can really feel it all come together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: The screenplay is by Ted Griffin born nineteen seventy. This was his first produced feature film script, but he followed it up with two thousand and one's adaptation of Ocean's Eleven, based on a previous film from many years back. He also did two thousand and threes matchtick Men, the twenty ten series Terriers, twenty eleven's Tower Heist, and twenty ten Solace. He also got into producing and co produced twenty thirteen's The Wolf of Wall Street. All Right, heading up our cast top build is Guy Pierce playing the character BOYD. Born nineteen sixty seven. And I think everybody knows who Guy Pierce is, big name Australian actor who really broke into the mainstream with his supporting role in nineteen ninety seven's La Confidential.
Speaker 3: I would argue Guy Pearce is really playing against type in this movie. He again and again throughout his career he plays characters that are very driven, the kind of focused, competent people who are always the active party in the scene, always the agent, And here he plays the exact opposite, a character whose main vice is cowardice and indecision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a great read because whether he's playing heroes or villains, which and he does both terrifically, it is generally a very driven character. And in this film the character is intentionally presented is very passive for much of the film, resigned to whatever fate has seemingly for whatever fate has seemingly chosen for him, and you know as such, he doesn't even seem to have much agency at first, and on the whole speaks very little in the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a weird choice to have a protagonist this way. He's like, there are multiple scenes where he is an officer in the military in this film, but he has like men underneath him who are having to kind of like give him orders essentially because he's just frozen and he doesn't know what to do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, prior to Like Confidential, his Australian credits included the cult favorite drag film The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, alongside Hugo Weaving and Terrence Stamp. So this film pretty much follows up on the La Confidential boom and proceeds a string of early two thousand films Christopher Nolan's Memento in two thousand, of Course, two thousand twos, The counta Monte Crisco, two thousand and two's The Time Machine. Subsequent credits included such films as two thousand and five's The Proposition, two thousand and eight's The hurt Locker two thousand and nine is The Road twenty twelve's Prometheus, twenty thirteen's Iron Man three, in which he gets to play the chief villain, twenty sixteen Brimstone. I believe that's another grim sort of Western frontier picture. Twenty seventeen's Alien Covenant, small but memorable roll. There a turn as Scrooge in twenty nineteen's A Christmas Carol. I haven't seen that, but I'm imagining it as Peter Wayland as Scrooge, so I hope that wouldn't disappoint.
Speaker 3: Dan Ackroyd did nothing but trouble as Scrooge.
Speaker 1: And then oh, he's in twenty twenty fours The Shrouds. That's I believe the latest Cronenberg film. Haven't seen that one, And he's also in The Brutalist, for which he was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always like Guy Pearson. He is great in this, but once again a very different kind of role for him.
Speaker 1: All right, now, coming back to Robert Carlyle. Robert Carlyle plays we're past spoilers at this point, so we can go in and say that it's kind of a double role. He plays a character that it's initially identified as with the name Calhoun, but we come to know as ives.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of great things about this movie, but I would say Robert Carlyle is the hub around which the spokes revolve here. He is the core of this movie, and he's like the best thing in it. He is driving this train and he's driving it right off the tracks and it's great. He is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he really gets to shine here. He gets to go in various directions. It's in many ways a Dracula role in all the great ways that it's a Dracula role, but with all these other layers in place, Like he gets to play a frontier mad man, he gets to play a cold, pragmatist villain. He gets to be this kind of embodiment of predatory capitalism and empire. And there are also subtle homoerotic layers to the character as well. I don't think those are as pronounced, or at least they didn't jump out at me as much, But based on interviews I've seen with Carlisle, he does stress that that it was part of the calculus of the character. So Carlile is of course a noted Scottish actor whose credits go back to the late eighties, starring in TV with some small roles before starring in nineteen ninety one's Riff Raff, which earned him earned him a BAF denomination. And it wasn't long after this that he worked with Byrd Unsafe and then worked with her again on Priest the same year, nineteen ninety four, he also appeared in a supporting role in the Robin Williams film Being Human. In nineteen ninety six, he appeared in Dan he Boils Train Spotting, playing the sadistic Oh, it's been a while since I've seen this. I think the character's name is Bigbie. It's been forever. Yeah, Franco Begbee, I think. And this is a role he'd reprise in twenty seventeen's T two Trained Spotting. He followed this up with ninety seven's Face and The Full Monty, and this was another role he'd later reprise in twenty thirteen The Full Monty TV Project. He was a ninety nine's Plunkett McClean ninety nine's The World Is Not Enough. I forgot about this one. But he's a Bond villain.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's the villain of it. I've seen this movie, but I don't really remember he.
Speaker 1: Is either this is Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this era of Bond pictures, but he either plays the main villain or the chief henchman.
Speaker 3: Okay, the world is not. Oh is this the one with? Yes? Sorry, just had to look it up. She's doctor Christmas Jones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I think I saw this, but I maybe I didn't because I don't really remember any of this.
Speaker 3: I notice it's a forgettable one. It's got a showdown in a nuclear submarine I think in the end, and Robert Carlyle is he's a villain called Renard. I had to look this up to jog my memory. I truly did not remember any of these details.
Speaker 1: Goldie is in it, the UK DJ musician. But yeah, maybe I haven't seen this one at all. Well, it's not Robert Carlyle's fault. That's like good no, but you know, more power to him forgetting that Bond villain pay day. Let's see that same year, though, he was in Angela's Ashes, and then in two thousand he was in the Beach. He played Adolf Hitler in the two thousand and three mini series Hitler The Rise of Evil. Other credits include two thousand and seven's Aragon and also twenty eight weeks later from the same year. And he also played the role of sort of an updated version of Rumpel Stilskin on TVs Once Upon a Time, which ran from twenty eleven to twenty eighteen. All right, third billing for this picture is David Arquette playing the character Cleaves.
Speaker 3: Billing that's a strange choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think I guess they were capitalizing on his sort of like MTV era Scream franchise celebrity status at the time. But this is a very minimal role, kind of a mild comic relief stoner character.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's good in his scenes, no offense to David Arquette at all, but he's more unhinged than I would have expected David Arquette to get, like his hysterical laughter at absolutely nothing and h and also like while he's getting gutted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I guess they, you know, they when they were marketing it, they're like, you liked Scream, right, well, enjoy Ravenous because ye at this point, Scream one and two had already come out the same year he starred and Never Been Kissed. Subsequent films include two thousand and two's Eight Legged Freaks, two thousand and fours Never Die Alone, and also twenty fifteen's Bone Tomahawk, which you know is another weird Western frontier movie.
Speaker 3: Oh. I remember having mixed feelings about that one, because I thought like, in some ways it was well made, but also it just made me feel so nasty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's kind of a kind of a nasty one. I'm I'm like, again, only twenty fifteen, and I'm not sure it has aged well, but and I haven't gone back and rewatched it, but I enjoyed the experience when it came out. You know, Kurt Russell was great and everything and solid supporting cast in that one as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who is it? Oh Man who plays Richard Jenkins.
Speaker 1: Richard Jenkins is outstanding in that.
Speaker 3: He's great in it. Yeah, but I remember that one just being particularly just mean and vile.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's get into the more of the supporting cast. Here. We have Jeremy Davis playing Toffler. Born nineteen sixty nine, American actor who the same year was part of the cast of Saving Private Ryan. He'd already appeared in ninety six's Twister Subsequent films included two thousand and two Secretary as well as Solaris, and he played Charles Manson in two thousand and four's Helter Skelter that was a TV film, and he also had roles on TV's Lost and Justified.
Speaker 3: It's weird to imagine him playing Charles Manson because he usually played it once again against type there he usually plays these kind of quiet, frightened, timid mouse like characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's a he's like a sweet but weird dude in this very religious if we haven't mentioned it already, one of the whole things here is that all of the people that have been kind of exiled to this remote outpost in Ravenous they are all outcast of one sort of or another. They have been put here to be forgotten. This is the ubliette of the American Frontier. Yeah, all right, and then we have we have a major supporting character by the name of Heart, played by Jeffrey Jones born nineteen forty six, and is kind of This one is kind of a tough one to write about and to bring up here because Jones was one of I think the most beloved weirdo character actors of the eighties and nineties, noted for roles in such films as eighty four's On It of Course, nineteen eighty six is Ferris Bueller's Day Off, in which he is the principal. He also has a fun villain role in Howard the Duck the same year, He's in eighty eight Beetlejuice, ninety two Stay Tuned, and nineteen ninety four's ed Wood, in which he played the amazing Chris Well.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: On TV. He had a regular cast role on HBO's Deadwood, but of course legal problems in two thousand and two with some really rough charges that I don't even want to get into here on the podcast, but the info is readily available on Wikipedia and everywhere else. This essentially ended his career. At any rate. His on screen work was always terrific, and he's great in this His Heart is it Colonel Heart.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 1: I don't necessarily remember everybody's military rank, but Heart is a very likable character and it has a very nice, it perhaps a bit rushed character arc.
Speaker 3: Which sets up a late movie twist that is I remember back in the day, was like a real gut punch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and yeah, it hit the same way, even though it was knowing it was coming. All right. We also have General Slawson. Great choice of a name because it sounds like it goes with barbecue, played by John Spencer, who lived nineteen forty six through two thousand and five. Noted American actor best remembered for his role as Leo McGarry on TV's The West Wing. Other credits include eighty three's War Games, eighty nine's Black Rain, nineties Presumed Innocent, ninety six is the Rock in ninety seven's Copland. This was his last theatrical appearance.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of this character as General Cole Slawson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do those nicknames. Yeah, he's really good at this. You your gruff authority figure. Everything that you would ask about that character, he does a good job, all right. We also we have a return of a character actor that we previously talked about on the show. Steven Spinella plays Knox born nineteen fifty six, American actor of stage, screen, and TV. We previously talked about him because he was in nineteen ninety five's Virtuosity. He played the creepy doctor Lynden Meyer.
Speaker 3: Is this the guy who In Up, he creates Sid six point seven, Yes, the Russell Crow virtual reality murderer, but then like starts worshiping him.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, yes, yeah, so yeah, great creepy performance in Virtuosity. Totally different vibe here as he plays brash, terminally alcoholic major knocks. His other main film credits include two thousand and eights Milk, twenty tens Rubber, and twenty twelve's Lincoln. Solid performance here. All right, then we also have Reich. This is the character played by Neil McDonough born nineteen fifty six. Stealey, American tough guy actor whose first role was a dock worker in nineteen nineties Dark Man. He also popped up in ninety six's Star Trek First Contact. Really busted out with a role in two thousand and one's Band of Brothers, followed by a key role in two thousand and two's Minority Report, and he got to play m Bison in the two thousand and nine Street Fighter movie.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, that's the later movie, because yeah, for me, m Bison will always be Roald Julia. Oh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Once Raal Julia has played a role, it's his forever. So mcdod is good here it's kind of one note role, but it's a good note.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: And then we have a couple of Native American actors to round everything out. First, we have Joseph Running Fox playing the character of George born nineteen fifty five, Native American actor of the Pueblo Nation whose credits go back to nineteen seventy eight. He played the lead in the nineteen ninety three Geronimo TV movie and since Ravenus has continued to work steadily, appearing in two thousand and two Skinwalkers, the Navajo Mysteries, TV's Sons of Anarchy, and also TV's Dark Wins.
Speaker 3: The character George is the scout who works at the four Tier, and he is also the character who delivers the movie's core lower dump.
Speaker 1: Yes, so a minimal role, but an important one, and he's good. And then we also have Sheliah Talzi playing Martha born nineteen sixty She's a Monomine and Stockbridge, Munsey Native American actress whose credits include nineteen ninety two's Thunderheart, nineteen ninety five's Lord of Illusions, the Clive Barker film. I don't remember her from that, but that's one i've been tempted to revisit. In recent years. She pops up on TV's The X Files. She was in two thousand and two skin Walkers and two thousand and fives Into the West. She was active from about ninety two through two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Her character's presence is limited, but she does play a kind of central role in giving one of the core like moral exhortations in the movie. Especially. It's interesting watching the movie multiple times because you might not fully understand what she's saying to Guy Pearce's character the first time you see it, and then it kind of makes more sense when you know the whole arc of the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Martha and George have important roles in being the characters who have some degree of understanding of what's actually happening. They provide a certain wisdom that has thus far been elusive for the Western characters in the picture. All right, briefly getting behind the camera here. Anthony B. Richmond was a cinematographer on this Born nineteen forty two. His work goes back to the nineteen sixties and includes such films as seventy three's Don't Look Now and nineteen seventy six is The Man Who Fell to Earth. Wow. Yeah, he also worked on ninety two s Candy Man and ninety five's Tales from the Hood and apparently is still working today.
Speaker 3: That's a good resume for a bunch of great looking films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Nicholas Rogue connection there. And you know, I'm not going to get into the producers, but I think there is a producer executive producer perhaps connection to some Nicholas Rogue pictures as well. Okay, but now look, we should talk to just a little bit about the score. In my opinion, Ravenous boasts one of the most original, un effective scores that I can think of, certainly from this time period, painting a rich sonic tapestry that includes discordant renditions of patriotic anthems and American frontier banjo, some of which I've read was performed by non musicians that were gathered together for the project. You have tape loops, you have brooding primal beats, electronic distortion, in addition to some more traditional movie score flourishes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. The score is extremely varied. It's all over the place and all different kinds of genres and textures, and it comes together quite well. This is I would agree with you. The score is one of the strongest elements of the movie, which is overall very strong, and it really stands out to me. I think the music is fantastic, especially because there are so many moments where the music it seems like it doesn't quite fit in one way or another, like it doesn't fit the time period, or it doesn't fit the mood of the scene. But then it kind of does, like it just continues and then it resolves and reaches this state where it does feel right in a way that it kind of rewards your earlier trust in this tension created between sound and picture, and I don't know, it's it's a very interesting feeling that it creates in the film. And this is one that I would like to have music from this movie just on a record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's this. It was released on CD, and I know that I either had the CD or some MP three's ripped from the CD back in the day, But as of this recording, I don't think it's available to stream anywhere aside from YouTube, as you know, probably a user upload a situation, and as far as I can tell, has never been released on vinyl. It seems like this would be a no brainer for a really cool like blood red vinyl release, but you know, I don't know how the rights for those sorts of things work. Apparently the music here was a so the music here is a joint composition of two different musicians, though it's sometimes a tangled web to try to figure out which one did what. Apparently it was ultimately like a sixty forty split, and the credit order depends on whether you're looking at the film or the published album. But the two gentlemen involved here are Damon Alburn and Michael Nyman. Damon Alburn born nineteen sixty eight is, of course the illustrious English musician best known for his work with the British band Blur, who had a string of hits that I mostly know from their inclusion in various DJ mixes from the nineties. But then he would go on to be the key creative force and lead vocalist on the Gorillas Project. I believe his only other film score or soundtrack work is a two thousand and one film called one Oh one Reykivic. That's another collaboration, so really not much that's directly film oriented outside of that. In ravenous, but he's worked in all manner of musical projects, including things like operas, throughout the course of his career. If nothing else, you're familiar with Gorillas, and yeah, his work is fabulous.
Speaker 3: There are actually moments in the movie where I don't know if he's using exactly the same electronic instruments or voicings, but there are moments where I hear bits of the first Gorillas album, Like there's a kind of electronic piano tone used in a loop throughout the hit, their hit Clint Eastwood that I hear that same tone in the soundtrack here. And there's just stuff like that that feels very familiar to Gorillas fans.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that would make sense now. As for Michael Nyman born nineteen forty four, English composer, pianist, filmmaker as well in his own right, His best received scores in addition to this one include his work on nineteen eighty nine's The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, nineteen ninety eight's Gatica, two thousand's The End of the Affair, in twenty fourteen's The Piano. His other scores include nineteen ninety one's Prospero's books ninety four's mesmer In nineteen ninety six is the ogre?
Speaker 3: All right? Is it time to talk about the plot?
Speaker 1: Yes, let's do so.
Speaker 3: Okay. We get a couple of epigraphs right at the start. One is a quote attributed to Friedrich Nietzsche that says he that fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. The relationship of that to the plot will become a parent as we talk more. And then you get a second quote that comes in which is attributed to anonymous, and it is eat me this.
Speaker 1: I like this, but this also maybe feels like a late studio attempt to sort of try and control how people are going to consume this picture. But I don't know exactly whose choice this was. I don't know it still works.
Speaker 3: Is this the chef coming out and telling you how to eat your food?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But overall I love this because we're instantly hit with that squeaky, perhaps non musician Frontier band rendition of the American patriotic song Hail Columbia, which sounds fabulous here, but when you look up the lyrics, it's it's pretty It fits pretty well. To what we're about to see. Hail Columbia, Happy Land, Hail Ye Heroes, heaven born band who fought and bled in Freedom's cause, Who fought and bled in Freedom's cause.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So we start with, of course, that kind of music. It's patriotic military marching band kind of music. And we see a waving American flag and that with fewer stars though than the flag you're used to because this is the eighteen forties. And then we see a banquet hall with a long table, bunch of place settings, patriotic regalia, and it's lined by officers in full uniform, so this is some kind of ceremony. And we hear a voice saying for heroism beyond the call of duty, for successfully infiltrating the enemy's ranks and securing victory independently with cunning and honor. We see Guy Pierce here in uniform as Captain John Boyd, and he is ready to receive a medal for his meritorious service. We also get a glimpse of John Spence is the general presiding over this ceremony. This is General Slawson, and then we cut back to Boyd looking kind of uneasy as we get a sudden flashback to the midst of battle, so we see him in a very different place. There's gunshots ringing out on this hillside, smoke everywhere. This is supposed to be the Mexican American War, so it's a Mexican kind of landscape. And then Guy Pearce is kind of falling to his knees in the middle of the battlefield, as if his strength has left him, And of course we get a title telling us it's the Mexican American War. The year is eighteen forty seven. A chaplain says a blessing, and then all of the officers here at this banquet sit down at their places at the long table, and they dig in and the meal appears to be steak and nothing else, not even a little salad, baked potato, some cream, spinach. Nothing. But of course then I remember that this film takes place before vegetables were invented.
Speaker 1: I was reminded of that in this of of the later film two thousand and sevens There Will Be Blood, in which Daniel day Lewis's character Daniel Plainview. At one point he is in a restaurant with his son and he orders quote two steaks, a whiskey and water for him, and we never get to actually see that meal, but I always I had a false memory that I had seen it because I just imagine it coming out just like that, just two steaks, no vegetables, one glass of whiskey, one glass of water. Though I believe there is a later key scene in which plaine View is enjoying a plate of just steak.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know steak. How steakhouses worked back then, maybe that was a more normal kind of meal to eat, but I know I have to imagine even back then, people would probably want some more variety. You want some starch, some sides, some vegetables, something in there, like just a plate of steak.
Speaker 1: The last time I went to a like certified steak restaurant before I gave up steak, I do remember it being a situation where you order the steak and then you have to pay extra for anything else, any sides, which kind of I mean, I guess the idea is that that's just how it's priced out and all. Maybe that's tradition, but it also kind of felt like like, oh, if you want to get anything in addition to the meat, you better pay for it, you're paying extra for that, buddy, the steak stands alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that that sort of makes sense, like because you can choose, like you get to pick your sides all the carts, so you pick your favorite. So it's not just like you know, oh, this is what comes with it. But yeah, I see what you're saying there. You know, the cream spinach is the classic steakhouse side. I feel like, at least in the I don't know how far back that tradition goes, but I would think even in the eighteen forties you got to give them some cream spinach or something.
Speaker 1: In this case, they were not able to requisition some cream spinach for the troops.
Speaker 3: So everybody noisily digs into their steak and nothing else, and you can really just hear them making sounds. Like the movie plays up the disgustingness of the eating noises, and it's like, and as this happens, Boyd is sitting there, the only person not eating. All his peers are shoveling the meat into their mouths, and you can see him feeling anxiety, like his breathing is shallow and he's looking around nervously. And then they also show Boyd's plate, which looks disgusting. It's got this gross looking gray cut of I think this is beef shank, which also is confusing because that is not typically prepared as a steak. That's going to be tough as rubber. If you need shank, you have to cook it a long time, like in a stew or something. So it's just like a steak of beef shank sitting in a puddle of juice that has clearly been modified to look less like regular steak juices and more like fresh red blood. It looks like thick and bright red. Here Boyd has another flashback to battle, this time too, lying pinned down on the ground in a pile of dead bodies, covered in blood, gasping for breath, and eventually the association overwhelms him. He bolts up, gets up from the banquet table, runs outside, and vomits, and then we get the title Ravenous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think this is where that unsettling banjo music begins to kick in a ditty that will continue to hear over and over again throughout the picture. So really, at every key moment in the film, the music is right there, amping everything up, and at times like subtly twisting your expectations.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the next thing we see is John Spencer as the General, giving Boyd a real dressing down in private. He tells Boyd that he is not actually a hero and he wants him as far away from his company as possible. So Boyd is sent away on a new assignment to a remote frontier fort in California called Fort Spencer, and we see Boyd in a few little scenes making his journey across a background of these huge, black, snow covered mountains. I think these are supposed to be the Sierra Nevadas and millions of acres of dark green forest. This wild landscape, so Fort Spencer is sparsely occupied. It's this outpost in a meadow in view of the mountains, built mostly of woods, surrounded by palisade wall, and the accommodations are pretty grungy. Boyd gets shown his quarters. He sort of like tests the give of the bedroll and then looks at it, looks at himself in this dim spotted mirror. In this sequence, we also briefly meet the character Martha played by Sila Tauci, and this is a Native American woman who works at the Fort and she brings boyds and blankets here. Eventually, Boyd has to go for a meeting with the commander of the fort, Colonel Hart, who is at least at first portrayed as kindly, mild mannered and a bit odd. We see him dressed up with a large blanket or cloak kind of covering his uniform, and he's often like this when we see him. He's got something kind of draped over him that just turns him into a kind of mass. And he's hearing what looks like two different pairs of eyeglasses at the same time, one set up on the bridge of his nose and another down near the tip. I guess for reading. I don't understand if that was like a thing people commonly did back then or.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. I haven't caught myself doing that with my own reading glasses.
Speaker 3: Yet it does contribute to making him seem kind of odd.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I have to back that up. I do frequently find myself painting miniatures with a pair of reading glasses and my magnification loops, so I have essentially done this a time or two. So maybe that's what's up. Because as we learn, like his passion is reading various texts, reading books in their original language, So who knows, sometimes maybe he has to really bust up the optics in order to handle certain font sizes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so when Boyd gets in, he's like trying to frustratedly pry into a walnut with a knife, and this is unsuccessful. So he's telling Boyd about what you were talking about, how he fights the boredom the outpost by reading these old texts in the original languages. And then he goes and gets this giant leather bound book from the shelf and uses it to smash his walnuts open. I wonder if there's a kind of implied joke here that, like he tells himself the way he fights the frontier boredom is through reading these ancient tomes, but really the way he fights the boredom is through eating. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, possibly it's there's a strong time enough at last vibe to this character, you know, Yeah, like he is like everyone here, he's an outcast, but he's found the place where he can mostly just set around and read.
Speaker 3: Hart asks Boyd if he has a hobby, and Boyd says swimming. Probably not much opportunity for swimming here in the mountains. Heart explains a bit about the history of the ford. It was originally a Spanish mission. Now it serves as a way station for travelers moving through the Sierra Nevadas, and he says, of course, there are very few travelers in the winter, so the ford only has minimal staff for the season, and then we get a brief introduction to each of them. There's Private Toffler, who is very religious. This is Jeremy Davies. We see him praying before meals and like heaving wooden crosses up to the sky. He's also in many scenes trying to compose a hymn. You can see him working on the melody.
Speaker 1: And the lyrics. It's not coming together.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We see Major Knox played by Steven Spanilla, who likes to drink. That's his main character trait. He likes the whiskey bottle. He used to be a veterinarian, so he is the forts medic. We see Private Reich played by Neil McDonough, who is the tough guy, and there's this brief flash of him standing naked up to the waist in a mountain stream surrounded by snow, and he's just screaming and flexing his muscles.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, this is some troubled masculinity here.
Speaker 3: I am hard man. Yeah yeah. And then of course there's George played by Joseph running Fox, who is Martha's brother. He's a Washo scout. And then there is Private Cleaves played by David Arquette. Hart calls him the over medicated Private Cleaves. He likes drugs, and he's the cook. We get a short little dinner scene with everyone assembled. The vibes are pretty cursed, especially since Cleaves is seized with crazy laughter at apparently nothing the whole time. And then we get some more of Boyd's backstory. We like flashback to what happened during the war, and we learned the truth. The truth was Boyd was in the middle of battle and he became so terrified that he froze, and he just laid down on the field and pretended to be dead while his men were slaughtered all around him. And then after the battle was over, the enemy came and collected the bodies from the field and put them in a cart. Boyd was at the bottom of the cart with the blood of his commanding officer running down his face and into his mouth. Then he says, after this he had a change of heart. Something came over him while he was lying at the bottom of that cart. He regained his courage, and he sprung from the pile of bodies, and he single handedly captured the enemy command. And this was the act that won him his commendation for heroism. But when General Slawson found out that this whole thing started with the dreadful act of cowardice, you know, playing dead on the battlefield, he decided to punish Boyd by sending him out here to California. So back in the present, it is winter time, snow is falling, and Heart sends Cleaves and Martha out on a journey to the nearest trading post to get the stuff you need salt, pork and flour and all that. And it's going to be a three day journey. So it's only the rest of the crew there left at the fort. And while they're gone, we see Heart and Boyd bonding sharing some bourbon. There's an interesting little moment where Heart talks about how he wanted to escape the world by coming here, but now he wants to escape this place. Quote frightening thing about escape is the chance you might end up someplace worse. I don't know if this is one of the major themes movie. I have to think about it, but it is a little interesting in the context of the story, that the observation that we can be deceived into thinking that everything would be better if we could just change some particular set of external circumstances, like where we are, what our job is, or what we're doing, or something like that, but that sometimes, you know, maybe sometimes that is really the problem, but a lot of times it's not. Sometimes you manage that change and discover that wasn't actually the problem, and your new circumstance is not actually the solution. The new circumstance is something you once again desire to escape.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that idea does weave itself rather nicely through through many aspects of the plot.
Speaker 3: But this moment is suddenly interrupted by a boo scare outside. Through a frosted window, Boyd sees a figure in black looking in at them from the cold. So the soldiers run outside and they find a man collapsed in the snow, apparently dying of hypothermia, and they bring him inside and they're able to warm him up and save his life. The next day, the man wakes up and he looks to me surprisingly healthy. He introduces himself as F. W. Colhoun, servant of God, and he's like, I don't know, like you get to look at him and like he looks like pretty well fed, Like he looks like he's doing great.
Speaker 1: He's worth noting to hear that both Calhoun and Boyd they both kind of look like Jesus, you know, they're both shaggy, long hair and either a beard or a goate.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So Colhoun explains that he had been stuck in the mountains for three months before he found the fort, three months without food. And Heart is incredulous at this, but Colhoun clarifies. He says, I said three months without food, not three months with nothing to eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's going to explain. But you also get the idea here that that's all he really needed to say, Like everyone knows what he means by that. Everyone's familiar with the idea of cannibalism.
Speaker 3: So here Colhoun launches into his backstory and he gives a whole monologue. I'm not gonna quote the entire thing here, but basically he tells a story of how he was part of a traveling party with five other people and a There was a guide. They had, a military man named Colonel Ives, who he calls a detestable man, a disastrous guide, who professed to know a new shorter route through the Sierra Nevada mountains. But in fact, it turns out they took the route and then they got stuck in a snowstorm in the winter, and they were stuck in a cave and they couldn't get out. This, of course, mirrors real incidents in history, like the quote shortcut that was taken by the members of the Donner Party. This was a path that others had taken in the past. But basically the Donner Party, when they took a different path through the Sierra Nevada has got delayed and then got stuck up in the mountains in the winter. So he describes them getting stuck in this cave, and then Calhoun and says, quote, we had run out of food. We ate the oxen, all of the horses, even my own dog, and that lasted us about a month. After that, we turned to our belts, shoes, any roots we could dig up. But you know, there's no real nourishment in those we remained famished. The day that Jones died, I was out collecting wood. He had expired from malnourishment, and when I returned, the others were cooking his legs for dinner. Would I have stopped it had I been there, I don't know, but I must say when I stepped inside that cave the smell of meat cooking, I thanked the Lord. I thanked the Lord. And then things got out of hand. And he goes on to describe how he, you know, only ate you know, the meat from the people who had died naturally, and he ate sparingly. But the others something changed in them, something came over them, and they had to eat a special Ives became insane, and he just kept killing other people from the cave so he could eat them. And at last, Calhoun says that his courage failed him, and he fled the cave, and he wandered out and eventually came across this fort. But the way the story trails off, it is alleged here that Colonel Ives is still alive up in the cave with at least one other person, innocent person stuck up there with him, a woman named McCready. Is she still alive as far as Calhoun knows, possibly she is. So Heart decides, based on the story that they immediately have to send out a rescue party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody really wants to go, but Heart is, you know, he's dedicated to what is right here, and he says, it's our job, it's our job. We have to do it. There's no choice.
Speaker 3: Everybody's getting ready to leave. But George comes up to Heart and Boyd and stops them to warn them about something. And it's based on Calhoun's story. What he wants to warn them about is the wind to Go being spoken of by some of the people of the north. In reality, I believe the Windygo legend comes from Algonquin folklore, which would have been further north and east. But here George explains and Heart translates for Boyd. The gist of it is a man eats another's flesh, usually the flesh of an enemy, and in doing so, he steals the man's strength, his essence, his spirit. His hunger becomes insatiable. The more he eats, the more he wants to and the more he eats, the stronger he becomes. And Heart is, like George, people don't still do that, do they? And George responds by telling him that white man eats the body of Jesus Christ every Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he flips the high that he's been reading the soft ov and it has Christian iconography on the other side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a nice moment. So the party sets out on the rescue mission. The party is Hart, Boyd, Reich, Toffler, George, and the stranger Colhoun. They pack up provisions, they bundle up, and they head into the mountains, and so we get a little montage of their journey. I like one little moment on the journey where Colhoun helps Toffler find a rhyme when he's composing as him like he says, he ends a line with the word servant, and he's going like leervent deervant, and Calhoun is like fervent. And Toffler is very, very helped by this. He's appreciative. But anyway, they are making their way along through the mountains and at one point they stop in this high mountain pass in the snow, and Boyd kind of questions Colhoun. He's clearly he's curious. He says, when you ate the flesh of the man, afterwards, you said your hunger was different, more wanton. Did you feel physically different, stronger? And Calhoun kind of mildly says, I seem to recall something like that, feeling some kind of virility. He's being very reticent about it now, but this will become funnier in retrospect. Also, I just have to comment on everybody's nineteenth century sunglasses here. They've all had these shaded goggles of various kinds that look like, I don't know, they look like Vin Diesel and pitch black.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Robert Carlisle here reminds me a little bit of Kurt Russell. And the thing actually with the sunglasses and to a certain extent with the hat. He does not have the full the full hat situation going on.
Speaker 3: But still so somewhere in here Toffler falls down and gets injured, and so he's got like a bloody wound that they have to bandage up. And later that night, after Toffler's injury, everybody's asleep in their tent when suddenly Toffler comes away can he starts screaming, and it's dark and you can't see what's happening. But then somebody lights a lamp and Toffler is backed up against one side of the tent, terrified, and on the other side of the tent is Calhoun looking pale and kind of crazed with blood on his lips, and Toffler says, he was licking me. And this is interesting because rob if you know what I mean, Robert Carlisle plays Calhoun very straightforwardly before this, like there's nothing to indicate really that they would should have any concern about him. He seems like a wronged, victimized man who is frightened and in search of justice, Like there's nothing about him that reads as abnormal. But that starts falling apart on this journey. So Calhoun pleads with hard on the others he's apologizing. He says he was having a nightmare and then he woke up to find himself crouched over Toffler licking the wound, and then he asks them to restrain him for the rest of the journey, so they do. They tie his hands, and then the next day they come to the cave, the cave where there should be ives and missus McCready and I still have strong memories of how freaky this scene was. The first time I saw it, such a powerful sense of unease and menace, and things just steadily becoming weirder and more chaotic by the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, the editing is superb here. The music is incredible building that tension. We get these kind of like rumbling rhythmic beats, like there's some primal force welling up through the whole situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. And so as they approached the cave, Calhoun, who had been again, he was fairly composed and sympathetic at first, I mean, frightened, but that's all. He starts acting increasing erratic, not just afraid, but like quaking and moving his body in bizarre ways and making these weird little like yipping and whimpering noises again at first like he's afraid, but then just more and more weird, like some kind of trapped wolverine that's tipping from fear into a kind of threatening playfulness. And so Reike and Boyd go into the cave to investigate, and everybody else waits outside. And in this scene, Reich makes his contempt for Boyd clear while they're searching, like obviously he views Boyd as gutless and unworthy of command, and inside the cave, they find some kind of pit like a natural ubliet, and they go down and investigate this, and what they find inside is too many skeletons, too many skeletons to Magicalhoon's story. And the piles of clothes inside include a military uniform. So if the colonel ives of the story was not the eater and was instead eaten, who was the eater? And then the guys inside the cave are like, oh no, and they scream it's a trap.
Speaker 1: And this whole cave. To drive this home, this this is this is like a wonderful like cannibal cavern situation. We're right out of an episode of Tales from the Crypt.
Speaker 3: Disgusting. Yeah, the skeletons all have this kind of melted fat looking thing over them, like they look they're kind of waxy. It's really gross. And then so Boyd and Reich rush back outside, but Colhoun is already on the attack. He first he starts frantically digging in the dirt outside the cave and he digs up a knife. He attacks and stabs Heart. A heart lays on the ground dying. He shoots George, and then he chases Toffler out into the woods, and this is where I was saying Colhoun. He gets into full like late sequel Freddy Krueger mode. He is having fun, like he tries to shoot top but the gun jams and he goes that is so annoying. And then he's like playing with him. He's brandishing the knife at him and kind of dancing, and he says, run run. So the chase breaks out, and interesting music choices here once again. The music at first in this chase is not like a threatening, dissonant jabs. It's not minor key chase music. It's a hodoun It's like a lively, upbeat major key fiddle and banjo music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you don't expect it to go with this direction, but it, you know, looking at it, this was the obvious choice, Like it breaks the tension and we get to go in a different direction here.
Speaker 3: So Boyd and Reike run after them again, even though Boyd is the officer and Reich is the private. Reich is giving all the orders and Boyd is lagging behind, barely complying. They find Toffler's body disemboweled. Colhoun is a bit like Jason Vorhees here, seemingly disappearing and reappearing through the woods. Kind of an arcane trickster. At one point here, Boyd tries to chicken out. He's like, I'm going back, I've got to go back, but Reike kind of bullies him into staying. Reike is killed by Calhoun with a knife to the chest and he falls off a cliff. Boyd panics and then to escape Calhoun, he jumps off the cliff. He survives the fall, but he falls into a bunch of trees, breaks his leg, and then tumbles along with Reike's body, into a hidden pit in the earth covered by pine branches, and then he falls down in there along with Reike's body, and time begins to pass. So we get a little montage showing kind of I don't know, maybe days going by, and we see Colhoun transformed into a free roaming master of the wilderness. Now he's just sitting on a shoal of pebbles in the middle of a river, eating lustily from a big joint of human meat and then laid. He's skipping rocks in the stream with his shirt covered in blood and blood all in his beard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just loving life.
Speaker 3: At this point, back in the pit, Boyd sets his bone. Yeah, so warning folks, there is a self bone setting scene in the film, and it seems like he's clearly done for unless he could get some nourishment. And there's Reich right there.
Speaker 1: And I love right how Right's body is presented here. Reich has like just wide open dead eyes, like just continuing to judge him for his cowardice.
Speaker 3: These horrible cloudy eyes, but this horrible, huge grin, this dead rictus and he's covered.
Speaker 1: In dried, like blackened blood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's interesting to see how Boyd works his way up to it, Like it starts with him taking Reke's coat off his body because he's cold. He's like, can I borrow this? You don't need it? And then he's like, well, I already took the coat, and he gets the knife, and it's mostly implied what he does next, But sometime later we see Boyd emerge from the pit somehow healed, like he's good, he's all right enough to walk, and he makes the track back to the fort. When he arrives, he's received and taken in by Martha and Cleaves, who have returned from their trip, and Knox, who was passed out drunk the whole time there while everybody else was doing the things in the previous scenes. So there's a scene here where Boyd goes to Martha. Now he's clearly he's turned on to the idea of the Windigo, and he goes to her to ask if she knows anything about it, can it be stopped. She gives a different kind of answer than he was expecting. She says the Windigo always takes, never gives, and to stop the wind to go, she says, you must give yourself, you have to die. Implicit in this is that she understands Boyd to be part of the Windigo, and the only way to truly beat it is to admit that you are part of it. For sake, cure hunger, and die. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Boyd doesn't say I'm asking for a friend. Yeah, I didn't try to cover it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So as time goes on, General Slawson and his entourage arrived at the fort. They hear Boyd's story and they investigate the cave, but they find nothing there, no bodies, no bones. There's not a scrap of evidence to back up the story Boyd has told. And Slawson tries to get Boyd to amend his statement, but he won't anyway. General Slawson has brought in a new commanding officer to serve as a replacement for Heart. It's a colonel Is. So step into the room, Colonel, let's let's see your new captain Boyd here, and it is a colonel named Ives. Uh, oh, it's him. It's Colhoun. He's all cleaned up now he's in uniform. And it turns out Colhoun is Ives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gone is the is the prospector's beard and the crazy eyes. Now we have this like steely calm that is over him. He looks very professional. He has establishment cannibalism at this point.
Speaker 3: Yes, so Boyd immediately he freaks out and he tries to tell everyone, but the story doesn't check out because in his story he got a shot off on Coolhoun, like he shot him in the shoulder. So they're like, okay, well, if your story's true, he would have a scar. So they look on ives body and there are no scars. They find nothing, just like well fed, unblemish skin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Boyd's stock here. He continues to go down in the generals the general's view.
Speaker 3: Here, that's right, So everybody settles in with the new kernel. There's like a dinner scene where they're all having ribs, except Cleaves discovers that neither Colonel Ives nor Boyd will eat meat. Ives never eats meat at all, since he can't forget it used to be an animal, and Boyd says he will only eat meat as a last resort. There's a later scene where Boyd is looking out the window at Cleaves as he's setting up some kind of sculpture, like a big cow skeleton thing, and Boyd fantasizes about killing him and eating his organs, and Boyd kind of snaps out of it. It's like, what's going on with me? Why can't I stop thinking about eating people?
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like it's kind of a version of the Looney Tune scene where you know, one character looks at another and they just just see a giant turkey leg.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So later there's one night alone, Boyd is like he's paranoid. He's sitting outside clutching a big kitchen knife with a blanket around him, and Ives comes out. He's very suave and dapper, and he's smoking a cigarello out in the cold, and Ives breaks the tension by essentially now admitting it because they're alone. He says to Boyd, I found your private reichup there, or what was left of him. You didn't finish. I can't blame you. He was tough, but then a good soldier ought to be. And then he takes a big drag out of his smoke and he says, you know, not too long ago, I couldn't do that. Could barely take a breath without coughing up a pint of blood. Tuberculosis. That along with fierce headaches, depression, suicidal ambition. I was in pretty horrible shape. In fact, I was on my way to a sanatorium to convalesce or more likely die, when en route, this Indian scout told me a curious story. Man eats the flesh of another, he takes the other man's strength, absorbs his spirit. Well, naturally, I just had to try it. Consequently, I ate the scout first, and you know what, he was absolutely right. I grew stronger. And then he launches into telling the wagon train story is sort of a different version of the story he told at the beginning, but now he is colonel Ives. He manages to get people stuck in the mountain, so he can eat them. He says he ate five men in three months. And he says tuberculosis vanished, as did the headaches and the black thoughts. I returned that spring, happy and healthy and virile, And here I've shifts shifts to kind of tempting, to being the satan figure tempting Boyd. He's like, you know what I'm talking about. You've done it too. You know its power, So why are you resisting? And Boyd says, what's wrong? It's wrong to eat people? But Ives mocks him. He says, morality is the last bastion of a coward. It's like a man says he cannot do something because it would be wrong. The real reason is because he's afraid. And then he keeps tempting him, like he gets a cut on his hand and he's like, sniff my blood. Mmmm.
Speaker 1: It's a great see this and a subsequent sequence. We're going to get a subsequent temptation segment sequence between Ives and Boyd. Just tremendous here, especially from Carlisle. Just just great acting, love every of the way the scenes are put together.
Speaker 3: Tremendous, fantastic. Yeah, and Boyd here tries to attack Ives, but they are interrupted by Martha and then by Knox, who they quickly discovered that Cleaves has been killed along with all of the horses, and Boyd is put under arrest on suspicion for that killing. So the next day Martha volunteers to make the journey by foot to San Miguel to get General Slawson for you know, I guess to come back and investigate crimes once again. So that just leaves Knox, Boyd and Ives at the fort, and so Boyd is under arrest, and there's this scene where Ives is cooking a stew and Knox is like can I help? And Ives is like, not right now, perhaps later you can contribute. Yes, yes, So.
Speaker 1: We get a little bit of the comedy here, but they you know, they underscore it's it's.
Speaker 3: Nice, yeah, and Boyd listens. So in this scene there are things happening in the other room, and it becomes apparent that somebody in the other room has killed Knox with his own sword. But then when the door swings open, it's not i'ves standing there, it's Colonel Heart Yep. He smiles and he says hello, Boyd, and he's covered with blood.
Speaker 1: Now he doesn't have any of his glasses on. There's a new energy to this man. It's clear that he has engaged in the cannibalism.
Speaker 3: That's right. So he tells the story of how he thought he was dying, but he found himself being nursed back to health in the cave by Ives, and he was healed from his mortal wound because he ate man flesh. He says, by the time I regained my senses, there was no turning back. I feel terrific. So now Heart and Ives are part of a cannibal conspiracy, and Heart makes a pitch Boyd should join them.
Speaker 1: And this is where we get this other temptation scene that is just excellent. This is where we get another just tremendous monologue from Carlisle, and it really kind of drives home I think the central thesis of the whole picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Boyd is taken out to where Ives is. I think they're grilling outside maybe now are they grilling parts of Knox or butchering him? I think, I don't know, They're doing some kind of cannibalism stuff outside and Ives looks at the mountains and he says, manifest destiny, westward expansion, you know, come April, it'll all start again. Thousands of gold hungry Americans will travel over those mountains on their way to new lives, passing right through here. We won't kill indiscriminately, no selectively. Good God, we don't want to break up families. And then oh yeah, horrible, And then he talks about how they want to recruit somebody else. General Slawson. They want to convert him to the religion of cannibalism because it would be useful to have somebody that powerful, right, He says, we don't wish to recruit everyone. We've got enough mouths to feed as it is. We just need a home. And this country is seeking to be whole, stretching out its arms, consuming all it can. We merely follow.
Speaker 1: Oh and that line there just gives me chills.
Speaker 3: So Boyd tries to resist them. He says he's not going to be like them, but the bids continue. Carlyle says, you're already one of us almost. You hunger for it, you just won't resign yourself to it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and we get that other line that's always stuck with me. It's not courage to resist me, Boyd, it's courage to accept me.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, but this makes me think, like when are you really part of a conspiracy, like when you do the crime, or when you accept that doing the crime is all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And there's a lot to chew on here, Cannibal puns aside, but yeah, it's like this idea that like there is this gravity that is pulling all of them down and there's inevitability to it, And like, Boyd, you're not doing yourself any favors by fighting against the tide. You'd make things so much easier for yourself and for everyone around you if you just gave in, if you've just accepted the world as it is, the world as we've made it, if you just accept that you're a part of it. And that, of course, has been part of Boyd's moral failing thus far. He's just proceeded through life like a thing encased in mud or almost fossilized in his environment and has just been generally just unwilling and unable to attempt to counteract that flow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he has acted upon, he does not act against. Yeah, yeah, though he is trying to resist here. And it's interesting the way that Carlisle, the way that i'ves is like papering over distinctions. Like, He's like, you've already done the same as us, But Boyd hasn't unlike them. He has not killed to eat man flesh. He's just eaten of those who already died. But I think they're trying to make that transition for him easier. It's like not observing the distinction. Yeah. So then Ives tries to persuade Boyd by stabbing him, So he stabs him. He's like, all right, now you know the rules. You've either got to eat human or die from your wound. So Ives and Heart like sit around the table enjoying a major Knox stew and at first Boyd resists, but then the pain of his wound becomes too great and his fear of death overwhelms him and he begins to eat.
Speaker 1: I like, how, Yeah, the answer heres for him to give in and eat the stew too, which is like the completely civilized version of the cannibal feast, which I don't think we've had it up into this point. It's been more like bone nawing. But here is the sanitized version of it, which I think is also rife with so many different interpretations. When you start analyzing this picture like here, here's the refined version of the thing you're afraid of. Give in to it, be become a part of this operation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the next day, of course, Boyd is all healed up. The cannibalism does wonders, and there is a conversation between Boyd and Heart while ives is outside. Heart talks about how he misses his books. They were taking off his shelf, I guess when he was presumed dead, and he muses about how even thousands of years ago, Plato and Aristotle were thinking over the same problems that they can't solve today, like what is happiness and how to get it? And Boyd says Aristotle wanted to get to truth, not happiness, and Heart kind of rebels against this. He says, I spent my whole life trying to do what I thought was right and true, and now here I am. But some cracks appear in Heart's conviction. Boyd reminds him of all the people they killed, cleaves knocks, and Heart kind of he fights his conscience off. He's screaming about how you have to kill to live, But Boyd eventually gets through to him, and Heart kind of collapses and decides you're right. I don't want to go on living like this, Boyd, You've just got to kill me.
Speaker 1: And Boyd does this scene here, which is intercut with a few things concerning Calhoun and other characters. But this scene I think is pretty admirable because a lot has to happen, particularly with Heart's character, in a very short amount of time, and I think it was done even slightly incorrectly, it would have felt really rushed as it is here, like it feels ultimately feels, you know, a bit on fast forward, but also completely earned. And I think it comes down to the direction, to the performances and just the way they've cut it all together. Like I end up completely buying it. But man, they do so much in such a short scene.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think because it comes across that Heart was also just kind of weak willed, and he was allowing Ives' confidence in the cannibalism conspiracy to sort of allow him not to consult his own soul about whether this was right. He was just like going along with the justifications that i'ves gave. But now that somebody else from the outside is pressuring him kind of does break through the facade and the real heart comes out and his guilt and grief are unleashed and he can't deal with it.
Speaker 1: Right, And so now the line is clearly drawn. Ives sees this happen through the blood splattered window, and so now it's going to be it's gonna be a standoff between Bloyd and Ives, right.
Speaker 3: So the rest of the movie is basically this grueling fight, this duel between Boyd and Ives. They sword fight, they slash, stab, bash across the landscape of the fort, and then they end up at the end of this fight in a bear trap together, which is just perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an enormous bear trap, Like I'm almost like Acme level of bear trap, but it feels earned and it's a surprise I think they do. We do see a bear trap earlier in the picture, so it is established. But when it goes off, yeah, just get.
Speaker 3: Them both, I've says says to to Guy Pearce, if you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. But if I first, what will you do? Good question, because we actually don't know at this point. Boyd's character has been portrayed as weak willed enough, and the story is bleak enough that you could believe it would end with him just embracing the cannibalism eating him and becoming win to go again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that thus far, that's how he has proceeded. Those are the choices which brought him to this moment.
Speaker 3: But Boyd does have a moral victory in the end by resisting the temptation. Ives does die first and Boyd does not chow down. He dies as well. But then General Slosson arrives with his retinue and they wander in. They're looking around and he finds a stew bubbling over the fire. I guess this is still the knock stew, still left over from the day before, and he decides to taste it, and he tastes it. He's like delicious, yummy, yummy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it seems like maybe the cycle will continue with General Slosson. And then we see Martha show up and Martha finds the bodies of Boyd and Ives and the bear trap and she sees what's happened and she runs off into the wilderness.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Thinking about this slows in question like if he eats the stew, does he become the wind to go? Within the logic of the movie, are you a wind to go? If you don't know that you're eating human I think that's a real question. Like it comes back to one of the questions that we raised earlier, like does the monstrosity arise from eating human flesh physically? Is it the physical processing of it with your digestive system even if you don't know what it is, Or is it the conscious awareness that you are eating human flesh? Or is it the moral acceptance of yourself as one who eats human flesh. So the distinction between those last two being like being aware that you're eating human flesh but not feeling okay about it, versus feeling like, all right, it's okay that I'm doing this, versus the final thing is killing, the act of killing someone in order to get more human flesh. They're all like different points on a continuum, and I guess you could ask at what point does one become the monster? And does each step kind of lead to the next step.
Speaker 1: That's a great question. Yeah, the movie leaves it ambiguous, Like we can I think reasonably think that, Okay, Slawson is going to eat this stuff. It tastes great. He's probably going to just really pig out on it and maybe have like a really great week. He's going to take up new hobbies, he's going to get a lot done at work. But will he be able to make the connection? And maybe he will, Maybe there's enough essentially forensic evidence at the camp that he'll realize what he ate and then start making increasingly horrific choices. But maybe not. But then also it does kind of tie into some of the questions raised, like what happens when you come along and you eat this stew and you don't know how the stew was made. It's just presented to you, and now what are you for having participated in this meal?
Speaker 3: All right? Well that's ravenous?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it really holds up. I think it's a great, great film, really stands out. Hard to think of another film from nineteen ninety nine that really that I keep coming back to. But this is the one. I mean, it's not it's not End of Days, it's not Blair Witch Product product, Blair Witch Project that should have been the sequel Blair Witch Product.
Speaker 3: My memory is actually the Blair Witch Project is pretty good. I think, Yeah, I think it might hold up pretty well.
Speaker 1: I think with that one, it's it really impressed me at the time, but then we saw so much found footage material that I've just been so resistant to going back and watching anything from that year. I don't know. I look at a list of other nineteen ninety nine films that was the year we had audition. I'm in no hurry to rewatch that, but that was pretty strong as well, with.
Speaker 3: That remake of The Haunting with Liam Neeson and Catherine Zeta Jones. How about that.
Speaker 1: That's not on the list from the rewatch anytime soon?
Speaker 3: All right? Does that do it for today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to go ahead and close it up here, but we'd love to hear from everyone out there. What are your thoughts on Ravenous or other cannibal films or other films from nineteen ninety nine. It's all fair game, right in. Let us know we would love to hear from you. You can get this show wherever you get your podcasts. Get it either in the Stuff to Blow your Mind podcast feed where it publishes every Friday, or on its own in its own standalone playlist, which you can currently get wherever you get your podcasts, as well, wherever you get Weird House Cinema rate and review. That really helps us out. If you were on letterbox dot com, look us up. Our username there is weird House and we have a big old list of all the movies we've watched over the years, and sometimes we get a peek ahead at what's next.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer Jjposway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.