Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Better Offline. I'm your host ed Zeitron, and i'd like to announce that, much like in video revealed in a recent leaked memo, we are also nothing like Enron. Today I'm joined by the wonderful Steve Burke from Gamers Nexus, who's going to talk to you about I know it's a thematic shift from the show about something that actually exists, and we're talking about announcement from a few weeks ago from Valve about the Steam Frame headset and the Steam Machine console. Steve, thank you for joining me, Thank you.
Speaker 1: For having me a quick question. What was that Enron thing? I think, yes, oh.
Speaker 2: This is this is important. So Nvidio had an internal memo that they put out and they said it's and the headline from Barons was I'm just going to pull this up right now because it's one of my favorite I've ever read. And video says it's not Enron in private memo refusing accounting questions. Ah, good stuff, that's Good's that's what we want to hear. And they were like, we're nothing like Enron because we don't use SPVs to inflate revenue. It's also good it's all real, Steve, It's.
Speaker 1: All very real. I'm starting to I'm starting to have my doubts that the AI stuff has built on anything real. Although I didn't hear about the two data centers that are currently sitting empty because the grid can't support them until twenty twenty eighth, which ones because it was in that northern California.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, I love this. This is we live in the future. But genuinely, talk to me about the Steam Machine. What is this thing? It's like a games console, like, walk me through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I mean this stuff's actually it was a really nice break from everything else because, like you said, it's real. They're actually doing stuff. It's consumer facing, so that's nice. There's some pretty some of these things have cool innovations in them. So the Steam Machine is a small basically small form factor PC, but it's kind of positioned almost like a console at least in terms of sizing the intent to be used with a TV or in a living room, although it could be used ask top. But instead of being a more closed down console, it has the openness of a PC in terms of you have access to bios and things like that. Some modularity of components, and it's running on Linux, it's running on Steam oass And so right now we've had some hands on time, we had interviews with the engineers, we have the specs, haven't tested it yet, you know, can't make any value judgments or anything at the time because they haven't even given us a price. But it does there's some cool things. I think that regardless of how their launch goes with the Steam Machine, it is in the very least very promising for Linux, which helps to maybe get people unstuck from Microsoft.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so what makes this thing unique though? Is it just like a because Steam for those listening who don't know, Steam is a it is not really a monopoly, but it's like the best way to download games and keep track of them, I would say, But it does also involve paying one company. Yeah, but is that really? Is it just a big PC? Is because you've you've at least messed with it a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, Yeah, I mean it's it is still I I think it still qualifies as sort of just a computer. But really what they're doing is I guess in the same way that some handheld devices are technically computers. I mean a lot of the modern handheld gaming we'll call them consoles are actually just handheld PCs some of them, right, A lot of them have windows on them even, And so it's that concept except applied to a cube. That I mean, people have been jokingly I don't know who coined this, and I wish I did, but people have been jo jokingly referring to the Steam Machine as the Gabe Cube, as in Gabe knowell the CEO valve. That's really good. Yeah, I saw that. I was like, God, damn it, I wish I thought of that first.
Speaker 2: That's a bang of well so is it?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Is it the is it like a kind of consumer friendly? U? Why? Like have you how much have you had? How much of a chance we had to play with it?
Speaker 1: H we had in total, I think it was about five or maybe six hours with valve and so in that time we were able to speak with engineers and you know, mess around with it. So, yeah, it's a steam O ass which is on the Steam Deck. So the Steam Deck is a gaming handheld device that. Uh, these have existed for a long time, but the deck was kind of the first one in recent years to really breathe life into the gaming handheld market. Outside of Nintendo. And that's not necessarily because everyone bought the deck, but it's because all the other manufacturers saw like, oh this is real, Like Steam is a serious venue, you know, to move games and people will buy stuff, and so Asus and Lenovo and all the other competitors jumped in. So the Steam Machine is building on that because the Steam Deck uses Steam os, which is an arch Linux based distribution, and it has a lot of optimizations that solve long running problems with Linux and gaming in general. So that would include, for example, translation layers and things like this. So they build on that and then yeah, as far as the user experience goes, it is a basically a sort of big picture mode or desktop mode, you know, operating system, but it's computer. It's just you kind of navigate it more like a console. I guess, did you play it a tool only a little bit? Yeah, we tested the new Steam controller. What yet?
Speaker 2: Talk to me about how does that feel in your hand? Because I'm I have peculiarly hands myself, and that thing looks straight. It's got like two little touch screens at the bat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is large, it's so the two it's basically a uh you know, yeah, touch touch pads track pads. So it's got two track pads and they function like like a laptop track pad, except there's haptics and things like that. There's a gyro and.
Speaker 2: Like buzzes kind of like kind of like you get on the switch as well. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you'll get like the haptic feedback like you'd get, you know, a phone, and yeah, so controllers to me, it's interesting and it's cool that they're trying it again. They last tried a controller something around a decade ago, and it went.
Speaker 2: With the Steam the Steam the thing that could mirror your Steam PC, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had the Steam Link the controller, yes, yeah, and I think there was like one more thing in that sort of round of hard where I don't really remember it, maybe the Steam boxes. But yeah, so the original Steam controller, I guess went so well that they had to stump them on fire sale for five dollars each. Uh, and they have memory hold it by releasing a new Steam controller with the same name.
Speaker 2: But how did it feel? Was it? How does it feel in comparison to like a first generation Xbox controller?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first Xbox was It's probably I think the Xbox controllers are probably regarded as one of the sort of most you know, user friendly layout. It's hard for me to say too much. The stuff that I tested with it and the limited time we had with it was related to some of the more unique inputs. So I will say it is a little larger, but.
Speaker 2: Larger than the original Xbox controller or like loger than like an Xbox three six.
Speaker 1: Day, larger than larger than a more modern Yeah, Xbox controller, I would have to put it next to the original.
Speaker 2: But that's an idea for the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the some of the interesting inputs, I guess. So there's a grip sense where when you if it's enabled, when you let your fingers off of the grip, so you're still holding it, but you're not like tapping your fingertips to the actual grip of the controller. It'll detect that and it can use that to stop input. So you can rotate. You know, it's got a gyro you can rotate to turn in the game if you want, and then you can basically lift your fingers off if you want to stop or kind of stutter step the rotation as you move. And so it's got it's got some like clever execution of input. It feels like it takes some inspiration maybe from things like the switch and stuff like that. Yeah, and and this is important. Not a single time, literally, not even once, did at any point anybody from Valve say AI in that.
Speaker 2: Order of letters magnific, thank god, not once.
Speaker 1: Not once?
Speaker 2: How delightful. Oh god, it's just building a real thing. How do you feel about this? So I was talking to Mike kase Kagawa, friend of the show, about this, and he kind of put the thought my head, this could be a quite dangerous like this could be quite dangerous to Xbox, especially because Microsoft is kind of just sitting there and letting that fester at times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is probably the absolute best time for anybody new to try and get into like console or console equivalent type devices, and in particular, I mean, Valve is a deadly combination with it. But Xbox is kind of at the lowest of its lows. You know, they just they they can't seem to stop fucking everything up, and their best new thing they have is just a rebranded ACE who's rog ally handheld, and like that's doing well for asues, but by Microsoft numbers historically, it's not impressive. And so yeah, I think Microsoft right now it's they're in a compromise position. Their sales are awful. I don't have the numbers off hand, but they're they're easy to find, and uh, they're just not even close to what PlayStation's been doing. They're losing control of the market, and it just looks like they're kind of going the route of Sega right now, where cea, yeah, Sega abandoned consoles freder who doesn't know, and they went full on game publisher and so yeah, I mean I agree. I think the Steam or Valve is in a position right now where this is before a new console launched cycle from the the incumbent, and it's when Microsoft's had its weakest with Xbox. So it's really good timing for them.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know what you're saying. Microsoft can't innovate any further because they're reading this note twenty fourth of November and I read this, Xbox prices could go even higher. Grand short, yes, they seem to be doing it. It is really funny to just follow the Steam machine with that as well, just being just being like, hey, guess what, it was more expensive and it sucks more. Do you like it, please God.
Speaker 1: But and the Xbox has been out for like a long ast time now, I don't remember when, it might be like five years already or something. The prices are supposed to come down, and I know, like some of these are whatever marketfacturers they can't exactly control. Although even though Microsoft does kind of have a big part in the AI thing that's making the prices go up, but we'll forget about that. Yeah, there's stuff they can't control, but even still, like consumers aren't could have want to pay more for a thing that is now ancient.
Speaker 2: It just kind of it feels like they've been spinning their wheels for the longest time because it felt like they were sort of moving away from Xbox by leaning on Game Pass. Then it turned out giving everyone access to as many games as possible for thirty dollars was not a good decision. So now that they want to do something, it just it does. I hadn't thought the Saga comparison, but it really does feel like that, like Microsoft won't die, but.
Speaker 1: Jesus, I mean, they're fortunate, I guess to have their spying division with Windows, so yeah, they'll be fine. I guess at.
Speaker 2: Their ad revenue they get from installs of Windows on laptops that take ten minutes to turn on exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, that'll keep them in business. Maybe better than what Sega had when it left hardware. But yeah, no, they're they're at a bad spot for Xbox. I'm not really sure what the plan is over there, and it doesn't seem like they're sure either.
Speaker 2: So I had a specific Steam Machine question, So what's it doing GPU wise? Like, is it doing? Is it doing like one of the amd ones with both the GPU and CPO in the same diet, Like what what is the situation there?
Speaker 1: It is? So for the Silicon, the short answer to that question is it's an rDNA three GPU with twenty eight CUS and I'll kind of loop back to that. But the Silicon in general, the CPU and the GPU are the only uh non modular, sort of normal components that you might swap in a computer, so meaning you can't change the CPU or the GPUs. This is a big split from a normal computer. They're using BGA parts ballgrid array, so they're soldered to the board and that makes it more like a laptop. In fact, they are basically laptop parts. They're semi custom laptop CPU and GPU that are discreete and the Yeah, the GPU so rDNA three twenty eight cus. That makes it a little bit smaller than an R seventy six hundred as an example, off the top of my head, I think that's thirty two CUS. And the CPU is a zen four part it's six cores, twelve threads. Their maximum advertised boost is four point eight gigahertz and they claim a thirty watt TDP and so for reference, I mean some of the.
Speaker 2: Other how is that compared to like a gaming handheld exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, gaming handheld, it's yeah, it's higher power than a gaming handheld for sure, So it is it is better than that. You have the benefit of not worrying about a battery and not worrying about skin temperature on the device because not holding it, and so for those reasons, they can run more power. So I think they're in total somewhere around one hundred and ten watts for the GPU and then a thirty watt claim for the CPU. So you know, with with other miscellaneous devices and with inefficiencies and whatever, you maybe call it two hundred watts, and I think the power supplies three hundred watts and so compared to a handheld, I mean that at peak power consumption, which you're not normally at, this is significantly more power and will perform I mean, significantly better. It's a big difference.
Speaker 2: Kind of it almost feels inevitable as well, because the fall of Microsoft. Sure, it's that they don't give a shit and don't see me trying in any way imaginable, but it's also at some point we were going to meet we're going to reach peak console. Surely at some point there's just how much more can we do with this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think, and you can. This gets into like a broader interesting topic I've been thinking about lately too, but which is for gaming in general. You know, you do hit a point where it's like, okay, the graphics are sufficient, and actually, now the kind of meta is, you know, more people are playing indie games that don't push the graphics to insane levels, and people are kind of rediscovering that, oh wait, I play video games to have fun and it doesn't need to be whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's that? I don't know, That's not why I play. I play games to get upset.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, well I have a game for you. I need an investor right now. Actually it's AI company simulator.
Speaker 2: And that sounds more fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's great. Uh yeah, No, I mean it's I think the the then with the on the gaming side.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I think the Steam Machine on a technicality, like it's it's more powerful than a lot of hardware people have. I guess if you look at the Steam Survey, in reality, it's a low end modern computer. And I think they're probably going to be partly leaning on things like FSR upscaling to try and bridge the gap, the performance gap. I mean, one of the things they didn't say that I can remember when we were talking to them, but they did say on the spec sheet was that the Steam Machine supports four k sixty FPS with FSR, and.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. And FSR is the one where they use AI but actual actual AI, real stuff.
Speaker 1: Actual machine learning, yeah, like actually does something. Yeah, And so like I wasn't too happy about that when I saw that on the spec sheet because like saying, factually, it's probably accurate because it says with FSR there, but that's it has to always be there. They can't just say four k sixty because there's a big difference, and this hardware cannot do four K sixty without some kind of crutch, which FSR would be. But a point being, you know, it's a low end computer. They say it's gonna be priced like a an entry level gaming PC. I don't know what that means anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that could mean literally could colost seven million, Like what.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, it's a big range. I mean it's you know, in the old days like twenty, I don't know, twelve to sixteen. Maybe you could build a super low NPC for four hundred and fifty bucks. More realistically probably five hundred and fifty. That's kind of gone now, so so I think they'll have some pricing. The biggest concern is, for sure price, but at a hardware level. Really, I think the big story is the Linux side and then what you're saying the Microsoft side, where it's like, is this just kind of twisting the death agger on Xbox?
Speaker 2: I hope so, because Microsoft sucks, and the thing is PC gaming is cool, like it's the one, like it's one of the great things about it in that there's such a great indie gaming gaming industry, and I feel like Steam is though imperfect, is a great way to get into that in a way that I don't feel like the big consoles are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just indie games are kind of like the lifeblood of it now. I feel like there's so much character in them, and they're very accessible in terms of often priced but also not being overbearing on systems, you know, requirements.
Speaker 2: My favorite game of this year was Dead Zone Rogue. If you have played that, I have not, but it's a roguelike. It feels like the and I realized there are numerous other sufferers who listen to this may not understand what I mean. It feels like when Destiny was fun in the single player. It has that kind of very clicky, very It's just very satisfying game. Indie game, never heard of the developers, don't know if they've ever made anything before. Fantastic game. I haven't enjoyed any Triple A that much. I unless you consider Hades two, which I'm not sure that counts.
Speaker 1: I feel like that doesn't really count, you know, like it's yeah, I feel like that. That to me still feels like sort of the smaller yeah side of things. Yeah, and yeah, there's a big market there, and I think I do think that big picture for some of these companies. I was about to say gaming companies, referring to you know, Nvidio and tel AMD, but that's not really what they are anymore. But look at these companies. I'm happy to see some of the success of indie games, and I'm happy to see things like a Steam machine in terms of hardware being capable of playing most of the games people play. Because specifically, you know, on the cynical side, if you sell GPUs for playing games and the graphics have kind of peaked for a while and it might take a few more years to really reach another major peak where uh, it's it's invalidating older hardware to a point where people feel forced to buy something new to keep the flow of money going for the companies. In that situation, you know, cynically, it would feel like you would need to invent a problem to solve so that people will buy your next GPU to play games, unless you can generate sort of escape velocity from the gaming side and get into some other business, which right now appears to be AI data center. You know, they don't need to invent problems to solve for gaming, because they're doing that for.
Speaker 2: Sort of invented one for the economy, right, but it's it's actually this is I feel like you've sliwd. This is just a question I had got to ask. You can't replace anything inside the Stay machine, it looks like.
Speaker 1: So you can do the RAM the which is yeah, the RAM is a so dim so it's laptop memory sticks. And then you can also do the SSD it sports up to I'm not too twenty two to eighty, which is the sort of standard larger form factor. Those would be the main ones I guess too.
Speaker 2: That can you hot drives for Are you going to be solid state though? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, solid state? And then it is very accessible. I mean it's it's easy to remove the cover and the heat sink if you wanted to, you could pull, you'd swap it. The fan is easy to swap and replace. The power supply has a blade connector, so it's sort of similar to server form factor styles where they don't use cables but they use just a connector. And so all of these things from a repair ability standpoint would in the very least be easy to repair and swap. Valve has a pretty good track record of making those parts available for the Steam Deck, so hopefully they'll do this good too?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jesus, I'm not used to companies not just immediately being evil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's still time, there's oh yeah there it.
Speaker 2: Could end up being twelve hundred dollars. Like that's that's where I could see them fucking this one up for me, right, talking of successful industries that everyone loves the steam Frame, Yeah, what is going? What is this meant to? Is it? Is it meant to be a vision pro situation? Is it meant to be like the like? Like what was the Valve Index? Like? What is it?
Speaker 1: Steam Frame is pretty interesting? So the steam Frame is a new VR headset from Valve. They launched the HTC Vibe with obviously HTC a long time ago, now, uh, and then later the Index and and then there was Oculous Rifts that later turned into the Metaquest. So that's kind of the VR industry. It's really just these are the big milestones. There's been a lot of other devices in between, but Valves jumping back into it with what they're calling the steam Frame. The steam Frame is pretty interesting in that it both has standalone functionality with basically an integrated we'll call it a compute unit that mounts to your face with the goggles. And then it's also got streaming capability where it streams content from an actual gaming computer. And so Valve is here leveraging the fact that it has an unbelievably large library of games, probably the largest ever to have existed, and the fact that most of its players probably have a decent gaming computer, and so they can render the game content on their computer and then stream it to the headset. Basically you're casting a video to the headset. Uh, so you're not rendering locally, and then that allows you to be tetherless and wireless from the computer, which solves a lot of the problems this kind of r has had historically. But the new yes, yeah, so, but the new problem if you're doing this is anytime they're streaming, there's latency, right yeah, And so the concern just becomes if I'm streaming this from my computer instead of playing it with a wire plugged into the back of my headset. Uh am, I going to notice that in actions and game and the cool part I think that maybe this technology could apply elsewhere in some capacity. Uh but is what they're calling foviated streaming. And so yeah, so there's already a thing called boviated rendering, But basically the concept is UH to preserve bandwidth and maximize sort of how much data you can get across without causing major latency issues, you know, to keep the frame rate high and everything else. What they're doing is they are targeting specific areas where the eyes are tracked to be looking and then rendering those assigning basically the maximum amount of bits those areas. Yeah, and everything else gets a reduced bit rate in the streaming uses less bandwidth and so it technically renders out a lower quality. But in the quick testing we did, you know, I only had a little bit of a hands on with it, but I couldn't tell. I mean, when I was when I was looking wherever I was looking in the headset, it looked full quality. And then if I tried to, you know, quickly dart my eyes over somewhere else, like I'm not fast enough. I don't know that any human is fast enough really to move your eyes quick enough to beat when it detects your change of focus and then reassigns those bits to the new area to maximize that area's resolution. So I think the response time is some like eight to twelve milliseconds.
Speaker 2: But it's a it is both like a vision Pro and av Our headset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah in the sense. Yeah, you can technically do like call it productivity tasks and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I'm I'm a vision Pro truther. I actually think that. I think it's a fun idea. I wish there were more fun ideas like it. But I also recognize I'm peculiar for that one. And also I don't think Apple game enough of a shit. It's just it is nice to see Belve doing something. I think I realized also talking to you about this, how depressing it is to just be like, yay, someone did something else.
Speaker 1: I mean that's that's how it felt. It was like, it's yeah, I mean the VR side doesn't get a lot of love compared to when it started.
Speaker 2: It, but it does V all games as well, though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's primarily a VR gaming headset. And then they are saying, look, if you want to replace your monitor with this, you can do that.
Speaker 2: That sounds expensive though, and of course they have yet to say how much this will cost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they said less than an index, but they didn't say how much and so and index. Yeah, there's a few skews. I think the common aside is yeah, yeah, it's it's they range like six hundred. I want to say the highest of twelve hundred or something, but it's not going to be six hundred. It'll it'll be a thousand plus.
Speaker 2: But we don't really have an idea of when these things are coming out, do we just next year?
Speaker 1: Next year? The frame, specifically the Steam frame the VR solution, they said early twenty twenty six, which, in my experience early to a lot of these come it just means first half.
Speaker 2: So yes, yeah, you excited.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm auldly excited about both of them. It feels like we're finally getting something in PC gaming again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'm excited because for that same reason, it's nice where it's like, okay, it's just hardware, and there doesn't appear to be a lot of bullshit. So you know, if we test it and it's not the best solution for the value, then fine, that's a really easy review. You know, maybe you say it's good but it costs too much, But that is a lot better than saying, like when I'm kind of having to lately think about which is okay, when Nvidia launches their next GPU, how do I handle the conclusion where, you know, what do you get to the end. You're like, other than the fact that they're partnering with palent here, which has openly admitted to developing technology that is used on occasion to kill p people, the GPU is pretty good. You're like, how do you cross that bridge? Right? Like against this really serious stuff.
Speaker 2: It's a problem across the whole tech industry. So I think Google's working with border patrol. Yeah, Like, it's just and I always had the theory that people were like, Wow, I can't believe the tech companies are suddenly doing this. I'm like, they've been fucking waiting. Oh they've been looking at like this is They're like, oh, goodie, finally the chance to make all that revenue from the evils.
Speaker 1: Or they've already been doing it and now it's just more on the open or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's and I'm guessing that this is becoming increasingly a challenge with like even with like a m D who is increasingly though I realized the evils are slightly different there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean AMD is is not quite as boisterous, I guess as Nvidia in that way, but they still a lot of the same concerns, and so yeah, with Valve it's been I think that's why why the reception has been so good on this, because there's no there's no hardware launch yet, it's just announcements, but the sentiment's pretty high, and I do think that's because people just feel so kind of beaten down where it's just every ram prices are skyrocketing over one hundred percent in several cases. I think we saw one stick one kit that was like one hundred and eighty five percent higher than it was three weeks ago. Yeah, that's going to affect GPUs. That'll write when the prices were coming down on those, and these will affect the Steam Machine. But I think just like the the sort of hey, it's just hardware that plays video games, and I guess if you want to use it for other stuff you can too. Like that sadly is pretty exciting right now. So so yeah, I'm excited about it. I think the Steam Frame, I'm actually really interested in the original VR testing we did. We did some really cool be our benchmarks a long time ago, and it just kind of did it a couple of times. Never did it again. I thought it was a cool idea, but the setup for VR was just way too burn in some At that time, I was still running the company out of my childhood bedroom and so room scale VR was like you need to spend like three hours cleaning your house.
Speaker 2: Get the room was a little bit fungible.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean it was like, but now it seems like all of that has matured a lot, and as someone who has not felt any desire whatsoever to play any VR games for the last like ten years, I actually do really want to try the Steam Frame and I think it'll be pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so weird, it's like we even I wouldn't say Microsoft was ever known as like a deeply quality company, but there was at least at some point a level of prestige to it. There was like, oh, Microsoft would never just make a big pile of shit, They'd never wheel out of I mean, they might do that in their software, but it felt like they were at least there was the brief period where we could humor ourselves being like, oh that I like my xbox eymore fucking customer, I do.
Speaker 1: I think you're right. I mean, I think the hardware for a while, it was like, it seems pretty serious.
Speaker 2: You know, their laptops were pretty well respected. I like the wind they had the weird I think it's Panaspane who's over at Amazon now, but they had like a weird thing where they were respectable for laptops. Yeah, and now I don't know, it's all just it's all eating itself. It feels like.
Speaker 1: It felt like it felt like after after the zoon they realized they needed to change something in hardware and it went okay after that. And just to put it out there, I still have my original Zoom. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm a was a creative nomad guy myself.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. Creative got really screwed during that whole period. I mean it was yeah, just in the sense that it was like Creative was kinda they were sort of their first or very early, and they did a lot of innovation and they just got squashed by Apple, like Apple did kind of the Apple thing where it just it's this jug or not.
Speaker 2: And they just dropped their weight on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think there was even a lawsuit, I want to say Creative one. It was maybe like a couple hundred million dollars or something. I don't know, and yeah, yeah, that's that's Uh. It was one of those win or lose you still lose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, No, no one's winning by the end of this other than Apple. Oh boy. Well, on that happy note, Steve, what where can people find you? And what are some recent things they should go and look at?
Speaker 1: One hundred million dollars was two thousand and six. By the way, Apple will pay Creative one hundred million dollars for a paid up license to use Creative's awarded patent im P three players. Anyway, what was your question?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, it's just where can people find you? And what are some interesting things you've been covering recently?
Speaker 1: The most interesting yeah, recently is so we have a story coming up where I previously mentioned to you I would be going to the UK for something and you immediately said, I'm sorry, Yeah, that's the appropriate and so we went over to London. We've got a really interesting thing we're finalizing now where I'm still trying to sort through who's right, who's wrong all that stuff. But like long story short, there is a guy who bought Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft and other game development kits and development cartridges from a scrap yard, We visited the scrapyard, we visited the guy, and he was arrested by the police, and SAGA was connected to it. They had a private investigator look into the guy and basically all the you know, the companies involved in the chain, as far as we tell, freaked out when they found out their game development kits and cartridges made it into the hands of a person even though they had thrown them out. And we're basically trying to sort through where did stuff fall through the cracks and is this an over extension of a corporation into someone's home to work with the police on a raid over game development cartridges, you know?
Speaker 2: Or is there any old games? Right?
Speaker 1: Primarily I think there's maybe like some switch stuff in there, which is I think probably what set the alarm bells.
Speaker 2: Off fucking Nintendo. Yeah, anyway, but well that so that will go up, I'm guessing in the next few weeks. So yeah, of course we'll link to gamers nextus. But yeah, thank you for joining us, Steve. It's always a pleasure having you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And you've been listening to Better Offline. You can find me at better offline dot com. Who knows when this one goes out in the next couple of weeks, he says, knowing that you'll have no concept of the timescale I'm talking about. But thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 3: Everyone, Thank you for listening to Better Offline. The editor and composer of the Better Offline theme song is Matttersowski. You can check out more of his music and audio projects at Mattasowski dot com, M A T T O S O W s ki dot com. You can email me at easy at Better Offline dot com or visit Better Offline dot com to find more podcast links and of course, my newsletter. I also really recommend you go to chat dot Where's Youreed dot at to visit the discord, and go to our slash Better.
Speaker 2: Offline to check out our reddit.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 2: Better Offline is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 1: For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.