Speaker 1: Jared, are you nervous? Now you've met Rob before, right or something like that?
Speaker 2: Hey man, how you doing?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm good. This is Dean and Kaylen.
Speaker 3: Hey Rob, nice to meet you. A big fan.
Speaker 2: I apologize. I'm just pulling it together.
Speaker 5: I am normally a person that wakes up at like, you know, eight thirty or nine o'clock in the morning. But last night we played in Birmingham and I had a friend on my bus, like an old friend that I haven't seen in a very long time, and things got silly.
Speaker 3: Oh no, you're burning the midnight oil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I apologize, but it's good to see you.
Speaker 4: Do you not apologize? All right? So we're going to bring it into the podcast right now. Help We Suck at Being Newlywed?
Speaker 6: Dean Angler, Caylen Lurkey, Ma, and Jared Haven An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 4: All right, welcome back to help We Suck At Being Newlyweds? Dean, Caylen, myself here, and we have a very special guest. I mean, this man just really needs no introduction. If you know anything about me, you know I've been a big fan of this musician and his band and his solo career. For a very long time. The man, the myth legend who's currently on tour, So thank you so much for taking the time to be on here, Rob Thomas, Rob, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 2: Thank you man, dude. First of all, it's very good to see you. You know, I love you very much.
Speaker 5: I want to ask a question though, and I apologize for my ignorance. You, Jared, do not suck at being a newlywed. You are killing it. You're crushing this, are you?
Speaker 2: Do you? Guys? Also?
Speaker 5: Is that the thing that you guys think you suck at being newlyweds? And are you newlyweds?
Speaker 2: I want to, I want to. I want to upend this whole thing right now. I want to. I want to up in the sham of a podcast right now?
Speaker 3: Who's interviewing who? Here?
Speaker 1: We're not married yet, but we know the second we get married, we're going to be really sucky at it. So we're just kind of getting ahead of the ball out here.
Speaker 4: Are you guys married?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're getting married in September.
Speaker 2: Wow. The fact that you're not in the same room is not great.
Speaker 7: It's not it's not a good sign.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were, we were yesterday. I'm climbing all the mountains in Colorado. I just got full one. I'm in the back of my truck. So that's kind of why, you know, you were apologizing for it.
Speaker 5: That is very cool, I think right off the bat, I think it's very cool that Kaylan is cool with the fact that they, you know, letting you do your thing and what you need to do. That's important. That's a very cool thing. So I guess we all the problems. I'll see you guys there by.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well we've established, We've established Jared Nashley doesn't suck at being newly what's Kaylin doesn't suck? So I guess I really am just shouldering the load of sucking for this entire podcast.
Speaker 5: Basically, listen, I hate to tell you this, but the one thing that gets great about in relationship is you have to establish that one of you sucks, and it's going to be like, it's me.
Speaker 2: I know, it's me, So that's fine. You know, it's not my wife. My wife is awesome. It's me. I'm the problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, if Rob Thomas is saying that Perp Thomas is saying that, man, none of us have a chance, I feel like that's.
Speaker 4: My tell Astley all the time. I'm just a building with construction around it. Really, I'm a working I'm that road that we always drive past that is always getting work done and just never finished.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: My wife, My wife is kind of not loving hearing I'm a work in progress anymore because she's like, I've been with you for twenty five years?
Speaker 2: How long is that?
Speaker 5: How long is that construction happening? And I was like, Oh, I forgot to tell you. It's forever. It's gonna happen for that.
Speaker 4: It's not gonna stop.
Speaker 3: Well that's good. I think that.
Speaker 1: I think not necessarily a bad thing. Wait, can you guys share how you guys know each other? Because you guys have met each other before this podcast?
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Rob was Rob got dragged into Bachelor Nation somehow. So I remember it was, Oh, it was our my second season of Paradise and there's a show called After Paradise. Dean. I don't know if you ever got to do After Paradise or if I got canceled when your season aired, but it was like a recap show. So we flew out to La and the producer came in and gave me a run of show and they're like, hey, listen, we put together this like fifteen second montage and we're going to make a joke out of it of how you're leaving Paradise single but you actually found love and it's it's gonna be you just like talking about Rob Thomas, and I said, what the did she just said to me? And she goes, yeah, it's gonna be like it's gonna be super fun and catchy. It's gonna be great. And I'm like like, guys, please don't do this to me, cause it's just and then it aired and it was like me saying Rob's name over and over and over again, and I'm like, okay, whatever. And then two days later, I'll never forget this moment. I was in a hotel room and I looked and I got tagged on an Access Hollywood article and it said Rob Thomas responds to his Bachelor in Paradise obsessed van Jared, and I'm like, you got it.
Speaker 2: That's when I put out the restraining order. I was like.
Speaker 4: This guy. I was like, you gotta be kidding me. But then Rob's such a good sport about it, to the point, dude, where when Ashley and I got engaged. You sent a video congratulating us. Chris Harrison pulls me to the side. It was like, hey, we have this video for you, and then he played it and so you robbed congratulating Ashley, and I'm like, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 5: Funny man, You guys may made me rethink what I thought my idea of this whole Bachelor thing was in the sense that you know, you and Ashley are a thousand percent this real, very real couple that I you know, and when I saw you guys, and I see you guys together and I saw like, I was just like, that's all I knew was you guys. I knew you because of this show. You guys were this very real connection.
Speaker 2: Like it was. It was you know what I mean, like it was, it was. It was sweet. And she's obviously just awesome, you know.
Speaker 4: No no construction around her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, No, she's not like us, She's not one of us.
Speaker 5: It just retrained my whole brain to think about, oh, you know, everybody's going through their own thing and they find it, they find it in their own way.
Speaker 1: Rob, did you ever did you ever hear about the like heard about it, Sure, But did you ever like watch it or anything like that, or was this like your first experience.
Speaker 5: I don't mean to sound weird when I say it, but I don't like to have any reality TV in my thing.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: That's not to say I don't watch trash TV. I watch a lot of trash. I mean I watched a lot of really horrible you know what I mean, Like I watched too much TV to begin with. I just never got into the anything reality Like the closest thing was I for a minute, I got into like during the pandemic. I got a little too into Love It or Listed. That's a great show, you know what I mean. And I'm just I'm a little bit. I'm talking. I'm alone, and I'm talking to the TV, and I'm going like, are you gonna buy are you gonna sell it?
Speaker 2: Buy it? By it? Oh you are.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, we're big h G t V people, We're big. Uh not love It, love It or Listed? But also, oh my god, what the hell am my House Hunters?
Speaker 2: Who's in the new power Couple? From uh? From h G t V?
Speaker 7: Like the uh oh oh Magnolia Network.
Speaker 5: Yes, oh my god, yes, yeah, I want I want ship to fix my house and I want Joanna to fix me.
Speaker 4: I know they're not knowing it. I like walk into Target and they're just pictures are everywhere. So Rob, this is like I do want to obviously talk about the brand new album, Where the Light Goes.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about your jawline. How do you keep that going?
Speaker 3: Man? Look at you, dude, he's got he's got the filling.
Speaker 4: She chisels it every night. It's it's extensive work, but it's well worth it and we'll get working on Dawson in no time. But dude, So yeah, obviously the new album Where the Legos that you're on tour right now for with the hit single wild Dogs running in a Slow Dream. So like, I gotta ask you because tour, I don't know how I mean, I don't know. It's obviously incredible. You get this incredible job, you get to go on tour and sing all these songs that you've written and like have met so much to people. But how do you survive a tour? Because it is a grind.
Speaker 2: It you know it is.
Speaker 5: But to be fair, I think you know there's an entire like we have fifty two, we have we have nine buses, seven semis, and fifty two people that travel, not including all the local crew every time you get to somewhere, So it's a mountain of people that are there just to make sure that every night, these two hours get off the ground and work right.
Speaker 2: So all I have to do is be capable.
Speaker 5: All I have to do is show up and sing for those two hours and like whatever, meet and greets.
Speaker 2: Right, It's not.
Speaker 5: It's not that big of a deal when you think about the fact that I've I'm like a baby. Everybody just takes care of me. I'm like the quarterback. Everybody just makes sure that I don't go down, like you know what I mean, and I'm protected, and it's something that I've done for the last thirty years, so just like you know, you guys know like it it's a muscle that I've worked for so long that it's just, you know. The only thing was during the last during the pandemic, there was that three year period where right before we finally pulled the trigger and went out, I almost felt like I was just a fifty one year old guy that lived in Westchester, right, Like I just had my card again and I was going to good time. Yeah, And I was just like, for a second, the reality between like who I was and who I am, Like last night, when I'm on stage, I couldn't I didn't think it was gonna happen again, Like they didn't make sense to me because you do put up. I think you guys understand this, like that when you work, you put on a persona to some degree, even even if your persona is yourself, it's a it's an ultra hyper version of yourself. Right, It's like me an ultracolor. So like when I get on stage, I'm just I'm a little bit taller than I actually am in real life. I'm a little bit cooler than I actually am in real life. But you know what I mean, And and you buy into it for those two hours. And then so I missed that for a minute, and I thought that that wasn't going to happen. So I did realize that it was. It was a little more than just walking on stage. You know, it's a there's a there's a thing that kind of has to happen. I think for anybody that does anything in public, you have to feel a little bit.
Speaker 2: You have to find something about yourself that you.
Speaker 5: Feel good about that you don't feel good about all the time to be able to go out in public and feel comfortable with that.
Speaker 2: And you guys live in public, so you understand what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I suppose I've got a question for you. So all we have to do is go out and be ourselves. I was going to ask you, you're basically being yourself too, right You're singing the songs that you you know, put together and are performing now for a bunch of people in the meet and greets. All you're doing is being yourself, and so it must be you know, it's a grind, but all you're doing is being yourself right now.
Speaker 5: I think I'm more myself when I'm writing a song, but performing a song in front of fifteen thousand people is a different version of myself, And it's not the person that I am like right now, you know, Like the person that i'm right now doesn't think that I'm cool enough to stand in front of fifteen thousand people.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 5: There's a weird thing I think about about writing music and and performing especially is that you have to like have no narcissism when you write a song, but then when you perform a song, you and and put out a record and do those things. You have to have at least a little bit because you have to think that what you just did is so important that other people need to hear it, right, Like, that's that's crazy to think that I just did something and now I want to push it on people want people to have to hear this because I think it's you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean Like, So there's a little bit you have to have a little bit of.
Speaker 5: Narcissism, and but then you have to take it away like when you know, when people don't like it, you know what I mean? I mean like, because if you're if you're do well enough to be somebody's favorite band, then you're also doing well enough to be somebody's least favorite band.
Speaker 2: And that's something you have to deal with and learn to kind of like you know ingest.
Speaker 4: Has there a been a song that you wrote that either took off and you were like, Wow, I did not expect people to connect with this as much as I thought. And then conversely, was there ever a song that you wrote and you're like, this thing is gonna crush and people just didn't connect with it as well?
Speaker 2: Well, Okay, the second what happens more?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Okay, this guy who's like Grammy Award winning one of the Greatest singers songs of all time. Oh, nobody likes my songs, dude.
Speaker 5: I mean thirty thirty years, you know, five solo records, six masss Like, there's a lot of turns in there, man.
Speaker 2: I mean you can't.
Speaker 5: You can't just you know, because you write, because you write in the moment, things that you think are okay. Like we have songs that we still joke about to this day, like Massbox and we have like a song called like Sugar. I'm like, how did I write that song? It's it's it's a horrible, horrible song. We'll never we'll never play it live, We'll never talk about it. Like it's just it's like we had.
Speaker 2: An ugly child that we just don't talk about.
Speaker 4: It's really not a bad song, but go on, I mean.
Speaker 5: I think you know one of the okay, So, like one of the things I remember when we put out our third record, More Than You Think You Are Disease was the first single, and we lived in this in the world, which is so different than today, but.
Speaker 2: We were in the studio finishing the record.
Speaker 5: Listening to the song on the radio, like we had put it out to radio, and like we kind of put ourselves to task. So like we put it out radio started playing it because we were still have this momentum back then when it wasn't this calendar of information that's happening now.
Speaker 2: It was like a siphon like you you know, like you would you could take.
Speaker 5: A song, bring it to a radio station and they could be the first radio station to play it, you know what I mean, Like it was in that kind of a time.
Speaker 2: It didn't do is what we thought it was.
Speaker 5: Going to do, but you take that plus longevity, and then like twenty something years later we played disease and it comes off like a hit, right just because we have a group of initiated fans that have been with us and playing along with the home game for a long time. And so like every time now they come and they and we all remember it like all that was a giant hit. But in truth, at the time the label is just like ooh, you know, biting their nails, like this is a problem.
Speaker 4: Like I think it so crazy.
Speaker 5: It's not going to be said about longevity, Like if you stick around, if you just keep nailing it long enough.
Speaker 2: Right, That has its own kind of reward, I think.
Speaker 4: So I also were dating podcasts obviously, so we have to talk about relationships. I thought we're gonna have our relationships here well, of course, but you know me, I have to talk about music for a little while.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Dean. Let's all about Dean. Dean, what's up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, now these two are getting married very soon September. There, that's the whole newly woed spin on this thing. So Dean is currently his thing is that he wants to climb. He's from Denver and he wants to climb fifty mountains before the wedding. Dude, I forgot. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Go you just said from Denver, from Basalt, there's fifty eight mountains over fourteen thousand feet and I want to climb all of them before my wedding, and like a real rid of passage first.
Speaker 2: So I think it's awesome.
Speaker 5: Like and Caitlyn, I think when you when you marry someone, you marry all of them, right, Yeah, Like my wife married my wife married me, but she also married the road.
Speaker 2: You know, she married that I was, she married my absence to some degree. You know.
Speaker 5: She mean like when when she knew that there was certain things that like I give everything when I'm here, but then if I'm not here, everything goes to her. Right, he had like we had that that rule that the second that we got that we met. My thing was this is this is my baggage, and I give this to my baggage, and then I promise you everything else is you. I give everything else to you, but I but this is what this came with me. Right, So, like I appreciate that, and I appreciate you, Calen, like like that you appreciate that, you know, because if you took that part away from him, he wouldn't be the guy that you want to marry, right.
Speaker 3: True, how do you feel about that? Calen? Let's hear let's hear your thoughts on that.
Speaker 7: No, I mean, I mean, I'm thinking about Rob's wife.
Speaker 6: She probably has to be pretty independent because I feel like we spend a lot of time together but also a lot of time apart, and I think it's healthy for our relationship. I don't know if it's I mean, you guys have been married for twenty years, so it sounds like you've got a healthy thing going.
Speaker 3: Everybody, hold on, I know froze but I can still hear him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can still your buddy.
Speaker 2: Hello, guys.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry you guys froze up on me and I I really if you don't mind, Kalen, could you could you repeat that for me, just because I wonder hear what you had to say about it because I missed it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was just saying, your wife probably has to be pretty independent to live this life, because I feel like we have something a little similar where we do spend a lot of time apart, but also a lot of time together and it's a healthy thing, like, at least for us, I feel like you can find a good balance in it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think, you know, I think it's one of those cliches. But it's not about quantity, right, It's about the quality of the time. Like when my wife and I are together, we're together. I mean, we like to be fair. We also, you know, we I think one time in twenty five years we've spent more than two weeks apart. Otherwise, we have a two week rule, which seems to be kind of a standard across the board of people that I know, is like two weeks is when you like when the when the rivets start to fall out and it starts to shake, and it starts to want to break.
Speaker 2: Right like just because you need to you need a little bit of FaceTime. But we can do.
Speaker 5: We can do two weeks and then a couple of days and then two weeks if we had to, you know, like like when I'm you know, but I do think you know again, you need to put the relationship doesn't.
Speaker 2: Work if you don't put a hell of amount of effort into it.
Speaker 5: But if you forget to put the individual effort, then that the ingredients that made each other really want to be together, that doesn't exist anymore either.
Speaker 2: And so you know, it's it's a balance.
Speaker 5: And the thing about I'll say from the other, from the from this side of it, from twenty five years in, is that that balance doesn't change because you you grow and evolve, you become, You're still you're never not becoming. Right, So like when you guys are going to be in your fifties and your sixties, you're still going to be becoming. You're going to becoming whatever it is you were supposed to become at that point in your life.
Speaker 2: And now you're just doing.
Speaker 5: It together, so you you know, you're still working that balance of allowing each other to become who you're supposed to be.
Speaker 2: While you're trying to figure out who you are as a unit.
Speaker 3: You know, a guy makes a lot of sense to the unit. Is the best thing.
Speaker 5: Like I can't imagine right now me being fifty one years old and having a world that Madi's not in it, you know what I mean, Like it's so weird like to think about because it's such a part of who I am. But at the same time, like I left, I went home the other day for two days drop because she was on the road with me for like for like a month, and we you know, we had two days off, so I took money home, got her and Ali kind of settled in. We had to take Ali to the vet and we you know, I went, I went straight from like rockstar to like daddy husband life, you know.
Speaker 2: And uh, but the money, like her thing was just like you know what I want.
Speaker 5: I want you to go out, like I want you to go now and have a couple of weeks of just doing you on the road without this.
Speaker 2: I want you to just go to that.
Speaker 1: You know, I got a question for you and ask you a question. Hopefully, hopefully this gets through with my connection. So there's this great John Mulaney bit where he's talking about Mick Jagger and about how these.
Speaker 3: Mega star Yes you're seeing it, okay, great.
Speaker 1: So for the listeners, he's basically saying, how Mike Jack, people like Mick Jagger, you gir through the life never hearing the word no, because there are such megastars.
Speaker 3: How do you How is that for you?
Speaker 1: Because like you're you know, you've been married for twenty five years, but you're this huge star that I don't know exactly, but like you probably don't hear the word know very often.
Speaker 2: Right, that's not sure at all. I I have it, I haven't. We have a joke in our household. There's the one in the two percent.
Speaker 5: So, like I got into a big fight with my label one time, and I was like, they want they didn't want to do something, they didn't want to pay for something, and I was like, listen, they're probably two percent of the people in the world that have ever been where I've been.
Speaker 2: Over the last twenty something years. You know.
Speaker 5: Like I went off on this rant about the two percent and my buddy at the time who since passed.
Speaker 2: He said, uh, why two percent? Why didn't you just go for the one like?
Speaker 5: And I said, and I said, well, because the one percent is like Mick Jagger, like these these are one percent of people like because because they live a life that I can't imagine, you know, Like I spent like three days with Mick Jagger.
Speaker 2: I thought I was famous, and then I was like.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I have no idea. You think you're famous because you can call into a really hot club and get you know, and get let into the club. You're famous when you just show up to the club and they go, oh my god, it's your club now, mister Jagger like that. So like I like I I I live.
Speaker 2: In a world where I where it turns on and it turns off.
Speaker 5: Like I live in a world where I'm the kind of famous where I walk down my grocery store aisle, which Mick Jagger doesn't do.
Speaker 2: And I walked down my.
Speaker 5: Grocery store aisle and like my my songs playing on the like on the speaker, and like one of my neighbors goes by me and goes, ah.
Speaker 2: Like I'm here. I'm not.
Speaker 5: I am a successful musician, but I'm not I'm not a celebrity or a famous I don't feel I hate the word famous. I've been working on that with my therapist, like trying to describe like something when in a situation but not using the word famous. I was like, you know, like outside of like like my relationship with my father, and I'm like, you know, before I.
Speaker 2: Was, And she goes say famous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, before I did that thing, and you know, just starts with the NPT rhymes with amus. You know, so, Rob, I know you gotta get going, you're super busy. I wanted to say that you gave me and Ashley one of the best, the best piece of relationship advice that you probably would never remember. But it was one of the first times that we ever talked, and you said, I think you probably saw like just the you know, it was probably like we talked about earlier. You knew that we reported this Bachelor World. It's like, all right, is this a real relationship. And I'm sure you saw us in like kind of the dynamic that actually and I have. And I remember you said, like, don't ever forget whoever you marry is gonna be the person that you have a conversation with every day for the rest of your life. So just make sure that you like them and that this person is your friend. And I've always thought about that ever since because actually someone that I have a conversation with every single day of my life and it never gets old.
Speaker 5: Oh see, yeah, I mean my wife is my best friend, bar none like you know, it goes my wife and then Paul, you know from Matchbox You're like and and everything else is such a far sec that you know, I could I could finish the race and have a cup of coffee before they even shut up.
Speaker 2: That's the finish line, like like we.
Speaker 5: Her and I are you know, she's my ride or die forever and and that And that's twenty five years man. That's There's a lot of water under a lot of bridges. There's a lot of things, you know that that will happen. There's a lot of things that are going to come and go. There's gonna be a lot of fights. There's gonna be some fights that you're gonna have. They're going to be longer than some of your friends relationships. But but you know, but you weather through them and then you're you're stronger on the other side of all of them. So I I I can't say more to be an advocate of of marriage and long term like, I just think it's it's it's so made me who I am?
Speaker 2: Uh And I think I think listen, I think you guys are doing it really right. Dean.
Speaker 5: I think you know the fact that that you know, you're you're calling us from your van right now, and you have these goals that you wanted to set out. In the fact that Kalin's okay with those goals and wants to help you achieve those goals, that's step one, honestly, you know, because it could be like, you know, you could go in this world, this weird nation where like Kailin's like, oh no, not now, you're with me. We're going to do this right, and then some degrees, some people woul look at it and be like, oh, yeah, that's that's you know what you did that, you tamed that down and you did that for her. But long term relationship, thirty year relationship, it's like, yeah, no, let's let's let's let Dean do that because he needs to do that. And that's really what Kent likes about Dean is that he's a guy who wants to be in a van right now, you know, climbing the mountains, which, first off, I can't understand at all. I am going out today for the first time in my entire life. When I get off these Internet, I'm doing like two hours of interviews. I mean, I have a day off in Texas and I'm going to go to a driving range for the first time in my entire life.
Speaker 1: No, wow, be careful, you might fall in love with the sport. I'm telling you, it gets all of us.
Speaker 2: I love any opportunity to suck at something.
Speaker 1: Hey, so I could be in an earlioad. Yeah, yeah, No, I appreciate that. I feel like I say, Caylin and I both kind of say the same thing about that too. You know, we want to give each other space to be themselves so that way when we come back together we can feel like the fullest version of ourselves. I feel like we've kind of set that precedent pretty early on, and we've done a pretty good job of keeping up with it. The only thing I was worried about this specific mission that I'm on right now is it's like right before the wedding, and Kaylin', I'm so blessed to be with you obviously, because you know, with everything that's kind of looming in a couple of months, it's it's a big ask of me to take off for a little bit, but appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Just a little word advice, don't use words.
Speaker 7: Like looming, looming. It is not a good word.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, good, my bad, my my bad.
Speaker 1: Looming doesn't have like a negative connotation on it. Just for the word looming. But I see what you're saying, and I retract my statement. It's not looming, it's I'm waiting with the anticipation for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, looming is definitely negative. Bro, Rob, thank you so much for joining us. You're the man. Everyone obviously is already going to listen to your album. Go see them on tour right now, Mashboks twenty Rob. I'll see you in a couple of months when you come to the East coast in mass mass Yeah, we're gonna go to the Mansfield.
Speaker 2: Show, right Yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 4: Man, All right, cool, Well, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day. Man, really appreciate it. Rob, You're the man, dude, Love you guys. If you well, bye, buddy, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Be careful.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for being here to take care, great to meet you. You know, I've never really listened to Rob Thomas's music before, but I think I just fell in love.
Speaker 3: I think I just fell in love with that man. He's so cool.
Speaker 6: I feel like he understands you, and he I could listen to him talk for forever.
Speaker 1: He was so much knowledge yeah and knowledgeable in so glad.
Speaker 4: That he Because I've said this for so long, Like one of the reasons why I'm such a fan of like whoever I'm a fan of, whether it be Brady or you know whatever, Rob Thomas, it's because like, not only do I listen to the music, but I kind of like just listen to interviews or I you know, when I see them live, I hear them talk and on their perspective on life and advice they give, and over the years, I'm like, this guy's got so he's so well spoken, and he's so has so much interesting perspectives on relationships and jobs and just life in general that I was so happy when he was talking. I could tell that YouTube were so engaged, and it made me really happy because I was like, they see what I see, which makes me right.
Speaker 3: It's such a change from how we act when you're talking.
Speaker 4: Obviously just like on your phone, and it's quite alright.
Speaker 3: No, I agree.
Speaker 1: I've never judged you for your optomis obsession. I've always admired you for, like I've said, for being able to like think so much. I wish I could do these things. I see it now. I totally get it. I am obsessed.
Speaker 3: I love RAHP. Thomas.
Speaker 4: And you know what, You're gonna listen to his music differently now, and it's gonna have it's it's gonna have like a different effect on you, especially knowing that he like the cool part about his music is that he writes and he sings every song. So like every song that he has written is meaningful to him, like it tells the story. Like three Am, one of his biggest hits, is a story about how he coked through the time of when his mom actually became an alcoholic, and that's what like the genesis of that song was. And then like you know, there's just all these different songs that I go on and on about about, like stories that involve his life or his perspective on things, and so like now when you listen to his songs, it's I feel like you'll hit differently now that you've been able to meet in person.
Speaker 3: I agree, I'll rebinge some of his music. But I've got a question. So I was a.
Speaker 1: Little I misunderstood your guys's like relationship. I know, obviously everything that happened with Paradise. I remember that video, and I remember seeing your reaction. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Have you guys ever met and hung out in person? Yes?
Speaker 4: So then I was at So. Then there was an after the Bachelor thing, uh, And I met him beforehand, just as a fan. I went to a meet and greet once, but after Bachelor happened in the video, and then he became aware of my mind. In Ashley's existence, there was an iHeart concert where he was releasing a new album. It's just twenty nineteen, I guess he was in eighteen. And it was a small venue. It was like two hundred people in this auditorium, and because it was iHeart, they had Ashley and I in the front row. And when I tell you, this thing was like an auditorium. We were like two feet from the stage and there was only two hundred people in this room. Like, oh, this is weird. Like, he's definitely gonna see us sitting here and no exactly who we are, be like, oh, these are a frigg of people from Bachelor that I sent a congratulations engagement video too, So it was cool. So then he saw us, he goes, hey, what's up, man, and like, oh, good to see you, blah blah blah blah blah. And then he invited this backstage after the show, which is really nice, and we talked for like twenty minutes, and I think that's when we started bonding, because then, you know, I'd like to think that Ashley and I are pretty dumb to earth. So we were just hanging out and talking to had a beer with him, which was a lot of fun, and then we exchanged phone numbers and then I saw him. We went to a concert in Massachusetts later that year, and he invited his backstage before the show and we just got to hang him for a while. It was actually really funny because I guess he was twenty nineteen because Brady was still on the Patriots. Julian Edelman is a big Matchbox twenty fan. He's actually posted about Matchbox twenty on his Instagram, and so I was talking to Rob before the show and then he goes, oh, yeah, like I think Julian Edelman and Tom Brady were supposed to come. They were supposed to like be here, and I was like what I was like, Bro, if I walked into a room and I saw Rob Thomas and Tom Brady, yeah, I would shoot myself because life would never get any better than that moment for me. So that's a really fun funny story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only time I've ever met my favorite musician. His name is Slug. He's from Atmosphere. I was nineteen years old and I was, oh, okay, I was twenty one years old. Actually I was very drunk, very very drunk, and it was at a small venue and Aspen and I went up to him and I was like, I'm sure I just embarrassed the crap out of myself, and he like basically shruck me off. And it was one of the worst experiences of my life because I grew up idolizing this guy.
Speaker 3: Similar to you and Rob.
Speaker 1: But my experience having met him was not nearly as positive as yours was meeting Rob, and it was mostly me, like it was obviously my fault, but like it still is a little bit of a bummer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sucks men. That's why they always say, don't meet your heroes. But I've been so lucky to have such good interactions with the people that I've looked up to and been a fan of for so long that I'm always like, I don't know, I think you should meet him. But then there's other stories like yourself, where you're like, I don't know, if I don't know if I should have, you know, kind of ruined the.
Speaker 2: Experience for you.
Speaker 6: I bet Sobriety plays into it too. You're probably mostly sober for your encounters me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a fair point. Yeah, definitely, I don't. I'm not a nervous strinker like a lot of people. Actually is like this too. She gets nervous before a big moment. She'd be like I need I need a glass of wine, or I need like a shot or something, and I'm like, that's the last thing I want, because that doesn't take the edge off for me. It just makes me subconsciously or excuse me consciously now think that I'm going to start slurring my words, you know, or not speaking as elocately as I want to. So, yeah, I've never really turned to that. I've been very lucky knock On Wood, but I know other people are, you know, much more of an issue. No, Dean, obviously this is way different.
Speaker 3: Caitlyn, who would you love to meet? Singer? The singer?
Speaker 7: Why she's a singer?
Speaker 4: Dude, we gotta get Hillary Duff on this podcast.
Speaker 6: It will never happen. I know we've talked about it, but maybe one day I can meet her.
Speaker 1: At least we just got Rob freaking Thomas on this podcast.
Speaker 3: You're telling me we can't get Hillary Duff.
Speaker 4: We can get I feel like Hillary is on the same level as Rob.
Speaker 1: I would say she's even a little step below.
Speaker 3: My discredit to Hillary Duff. Love her, but Rob.
Speaker 1: Thomas, I mean, come on, what a dream boat.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm just like setting my expectations low.
Speaker 4: You know, there's got I mean, especially because she's on How I Met Your Father?
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, I feel like if iHeart could just bring her in, then then there's a way that we can meet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially if she's looking for We're gonna make this happen. We're putting it out in the universe right now, especially if they have a new season of How I Met Your Father, Like, come on, she's got to do it.
Speaker 7: It would have to be in person. I don't want to do a zoom.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 7: If I zoom Hillary Duff, I'd be like.
Speaker 1: We gotta get Hillary Duff, we gotta get John Craigie and then maybe we can get slug.
Speaker 3: On here at some point too.
Speaker 4: Sluk also, beggars can't be choosers. So if Hillary Duff can get is get do a zoom, we're doing the zoom.
Speaker 7: Yeah that's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Jared, I have a question for you. Have you been doing something different with your teeth? They are looking phenomenal? Wait seriously, Yeah, well.
Speaker 4: That's very sweet. I'm always sub conscious about my teeth because I feel like they're white. But I mean, dude, you got like you guys just have such pearly whites. It's crazy, Like look at your I mean I'm not I'm not trying to blow your head up here, but like between you and Kaitlin, it's like, every day I have this podcast, I'm like, uh, you know what it is? I think I think it's every time I shave, I feel like my teeth look a little bit wider. Why that is, I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Well, whatever you're doing, it's working. And my teeth are my biggest insecurity as well, which blows my mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for the podcast, rap is on here. You know I'm gonna make sure it look good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've been staring at it in the entire episode. So congrats to you. Keep doing whatever you're doing.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: Quick update before we go. So you are obviously in Colorado.
Speaker 3: Really, yes, sir?
Speaker 4: So how many mountains do you have?
Speaker 1: Well, I climbed to this morning, so not a big deal climb too this morning. I've got I've got forty eight more to go, forty more to go, forty eight more to go. But this podcast doesn't air until July ninth, so by that point I should have done. By July ninth, when this podcast airs, I should have thirty thirty.
Speaker 3: Eight more to go. So I'm chipping away, all right, it's not a lot.
Speaker 7: Wait, you have forty one now, and you'll have thirty eight by July ninth.
Speaker 3: I have forty eight to go now. I've done ten.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, and I plan on doing at least ten more before I go back to Las Vegas July tenth.
Speaker 7: And you just did one this morning at four am.
Speaker 3: I did two this morning, actually, thank you very much, and you yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I was skiing down and I was like skiing pretty good, and the snow's really slushy right now, and I was like, ooh, I am freaking on fire right now, and so I try to do something I normally wouldn't do, and I took a big old spill. And I was wearing shorts because it's springtime and the snow gets like really like like a corny as they call it, and just like thrashes your skin. So it like wasn't a bad fall at all, but my leg dragged on the on the corn snow and it just kind of thrashed my leg a little bit. But you wore shorts well, ski well, because I was like hiking in shorts because I overheat really easily and then I'm not going to like bring pants to ski down in. And it's like not it was like fifty degrees. It wasn't cold, But I'm fine. Thank you guys so much for worrying about me. I really appreciate it. It was more of like a hey, check it, like, you know, I fell and I wasn't hurt at all.
Speaker 3: And I looked at my leg. I was like, oh, I'm bleeding. That's awesome. I love bleeding. Like if you can get hurt and not.
Speaker 1: Feel hurt, but like looks like it hurts a little bit, there's nothing better in the world than that.
Speaker 7: In my opinion, what I love blea interesting.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, don't take me out of context.
Speaker 1: I'm saying when something looks like it hurts to other people, but it doesn't hurt to you, like you don't feel the pain because it's whatever, like a surface wound or something. But other people are like, oh my gosh, are you okay? And you're like totally fine. You're like, yeah, I'm fine, Like what do you mean, I ain't know wors Interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is not as cool because I'm about to reference poet softball. But whenever I play softball and I like slide and I get like a little elbow scratch or the exact same thing, and they're like, oh uk, I'm like, yeah, I'm fine. I'm like, oh, yeah, obviously I have the highest pain tolerance of anyone here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, You're like whatever, I'll do anything for the team. And they're like, whoa that Jared guy. I need to have on my team every year. Dude.
Speaker 4: It's funny anytime I get into an argument, which doesn't happen often, but sometimes like I get a little angry and then I'll just yell something, and I'm like, I could definitely tell the other teams, like I think that Bachelor kid just yelled at.
Speaker 3: I mean, hey, softball man, no holding back?
Speaker 4: Yeah apparently.
Speaker 3: Okayln, what do you got for us?
Speaker 1: We just we just told you guys, are stories or your story?
Speaker 6: Well, I wanted to talk about Alex Earl and Sophia Colpo that I'm sure you guys have no idea what's going on between them.
Speaker 4: I know something's going on with Brexton Barrios Braxton.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So Braxton dated Sofia Colpo, Olivia Coppo's sister for two years. They broke up, and now Braxton is dating Alex Earl, who's like the biggest girl on TikTok, like the ITG girl right now. And there's like all these rumors maybe there was overlap, who knows if there was, And now Sofia Colpo's making tiktoks and she's like, let me know when the love bombing stops.
Speaker 4: What does love bombing mean.
Speaker 6: Love bombings kind of like a narcissistic it's like tied with narcissism, I guess. But love bombing is just like just lots of love and then oh, so.
Speaker 4: She's saying, let me know when the love bombing between Barrios and this new girl is over.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's just like a lot of drama, and it's like being fueled by Sophia doing tiktoks, like people already know this relationship was super public. Love Bombing is an attempt to influence a person by demonstrations of attention and affection. But yeah, I think in Sophia's case, like this has to suck so much. You're dating this guy for two years, you break up, Let's say a month later, a couple weeks later, he starts dating like the biggest girl. It sucks, but I feel like the way to win in this situation is just to like stay silent, you know. And then she came out recently and was like he cheated on me. Braxton came out I think like yesterday or two days ago. He's like, I never cheated. So it's just like there's a way to win in this situation, And I don't think Sofia is doing it right, but also like if that were me, I would feel like absolute crap.
Speaker 7: Like that sucks.
Speaker 1: I don't understand the appeal of Braxton Barrios. He's like a fourth string wide receiver. He's good, is he good looking?
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 3: Is he still in the NFL?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure he was on the Jets last year. So the reason I know about this is because so the social media coordinator for Audrey's follows Brexton Buriers on the Audrey's account. So I was on the Audrey's account going through Instagram stories and then barrios is popped up and he was and then he started the video saying something but like I didn't want to say something, but now I'm going to say something. And I was like, oh, well, I have no idea what he's referencing, but I have to watch this video now just to see what the hell he's about to say. And then he talked about like a relationship, and then I was like, I think he dated. Sophia Copo is dating and so then I looked it up and I was like, oh, okay, now I'm in the note because the cool thing is Sophia Coppo comes into Audrey's every once in a while.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Really yeah, because the couples are from Rhode Island, so she's been there a couple of times. She's very nice and uh, but this, I mean, I haven't seen her since like last fall. I think, yeah, so we've met Olivia a few times again, Rhode Island connection. She one of my really good buddies.
Speaker 2: Jimmy.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you remember Jimmy from the Bachelor Party, the Bachelor and so his white Tory, Yeah, he's great. So his white Torri grew up with Olivia, so they're really close. And but yeah, so I do you all right? Can't let me ask you this? Do you think that brack is it? It's Braxton? Do you do you think that Braxton started dating this girl too soon? Is that the issue? Or do you think Sophia maybe should just stay more quiet, like you referencing earlier.
Speaker 6: I think, like it's it's so hard because you don't know what has gone on behind close to her, So you don't know if this was like conversations happening for months of like about to break up.
Speaker 7: You don't know when they broke up.
Speaker 6: We don't even know if like cheating was involved, but I think regardless, like the best thing to do in this situation. Alex girl has like six million followers, Everyone follows her, everyone watches her videos. Like, you're not really going to win in this situation, which sucks, but like the best thing to do is just stay silent and be the bigger person, and I was. Hannah Burner posted a video on her Instagram about this, so I listened to their podcast, and Paige on their podcast.
Speaker 7: Was saying, we've you know, we've both been that girl.
Speaker 6: We've been the girl that got dumped and then he jumps into a relationship right after or webent the girl that like jumps into the relationship with a guy who just ended things.
Speaker 7: So it's like we can't really hate either person here.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's easy when you're on one side to hate the other side, but like you said, sometimes on either side, it doesn't doesn't necessarily exclude.
Speaker 7: You, and it sucks.
Speaker 6: I would just like advise Sophia, like stay off of social media. You're gonna see things you don't want to see. It sucks, Like this is such a bad situation to be in because Alex is so popular right now, but you know, good riddance to him if he sucked.
Speaker 4: And it's tough because I was related this back to our bachelor experience, where I'm sure there's a lot of exits out there who does not want to watch anything that we're involved in in terms of your relationship, my relationship with Ashley. So it's it's kind of like, I'm sorry, Sophia. You know, it's just like if he's that's the person he's dating, and that's what she does for a job, Like that's kind of this the way life goes. And of course, like if he cheated, yeah, but so Sophia came out and said that he cheated.
Speaker 6: I was watching videos on TikTok yesterday and yes, she she came on and was like, he was at a bar or something and there a photo came out with him with another girl. And then her sister called her the next day that he was with some of so I guess that's where it started. But then Braxton, I also heard, said that didn't happen. So if you cheated, that's that sucks and that's awful and just another reason to like, you know, be happy that it ended when it.
Speaker 1: Did, right, good point good point out with the old, drop the dead weight, get the hell out of here, Braxton.
Speaker 4: I read the anchor.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I woke up for you today, so I'm a little sleepy. But that's interesting. It's gonna be interesting to see out on folds. And what stinks a little bit about recording these episodes so early.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: Don't get me wrong. I love seeing you guys as often as I can. By July ninth, when this airs, there could be incredible developments in the story that we are gonna, like, sound like we have no idea what we're talking about.
Speaker 7: That's true.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have to recap it. And then what we're gonna have to do, because they're all East Coasters, is we're going to have to have a live reunion of film that Audrey's between Sophia, Alex and Braxton all sitting down together. We'll get Andy Cohen to come in host it all the fireplace on, We'll all I'll have this person ortiniz and really just get to the bottom of all this drama.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like a big win for you, but not so much a big win for the podcast.
Speaker 4: It's a loss for everybody else, but a big win for Rogers.
Speaker 7: Also, like Alex Earl's huge thing.
Speaker 6: Like the reason people love her so much is like, yes, she's relatable and she like shows her lifestyle in a very authentic way. But also she's like known to be such a girl's girl, so it's gotta suck for her when like her brand is.
Speaker 7: Being this girl's girl.
Speaker 6: And now you know, Sophia's not really coming after her, she's more coming after Braxton, but it's still it sucks.
Speaker 4: It sucks because now she's being accused of being the other girl, which is like the complete opposite of what a girl's girl's supposed to do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't think Alex was the one that he cheated with. If he cheated, I don't know. There's a lot of like weird things going on in this story, but it's interesting.
Speaker 7: It's all over TikTok.
Speaker 1: Interesting, vander Pumps over. So you got to find your next obsession.
Speaker 6: I know, seriously, I'm like, what else am I supposed to like be invested in drama wise?
Speaker 3: You know i'd be expected to respond that way. I thought you were gonna tell me to kick her out.
Speaker 6: Well, vander Pump consumed my life for so long, and now it's over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any update on that, like in terms of if they're doing a next season or something.
Speaker 6: They'll definitely do a next season, it's just who is going to do it. And also I just wanted to say I know vander Pump's been over, but I didn't have a chance to bring this up post reunion. I listened to a lot of podcasts and I gave Tom Schwartz a hard time. And I don't think he's a bad guy. I take everything I said back. I think he did a lot of bad things. I don't think he cheated his wife well, but I think he's a good guy going through a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, so can we can we just I know we want to we want to wrap this podcast, but I just got excited for a second. Jared, I'm sure you don't remember this. Listeners, maybe you remember this. When we were talking about this, we were talking about Caitlin and I being at a party together and I was like drunk and trying to like stir the pot. But I was talking about how I liked Schwartz and how I thought that's one thing.
Speaker 7: You said, but you said something worse.
Speaker 4: So that's yeah, we're referencing this this conversation that you guys didn't even want to bring up at the time and said you said that Dean like so bad we couldn't talk about it on the podcast.
Speaker 1: And it was me saying, I think Tom Schwartz is like a hot, decent guy, and Kylen.
Speaker 3: Was like, no, you can't know.
Speaker 7: It was I can say it now.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, it's fine. Maybe now, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, do you think it's that bad? Well, we really can't say this thing for the listeners out there. I have no idea what the hell they're talking about.
Speaker 1: Was it me saying how the girl came across in such a negative light?
Speaker 6: Yeah, kind of you just he just thought that are on It kind of sucked too, is what he said.
Speaker 3: And at the time, big suck.
Speaker 6: And at the time everyone was like really rallying behind Areana, as they should, and people still are, but people's eyes have been open to like post reunion, they were so brutal to Raquel, and yes, Raquel deserves scrutiny and deserves to like own up to what she did, but just to like call her the C word and just like say the horrific things that they said to her. I feel like, now you can say like what you were thinking. I guess I don't know. I just know the Bravo people are are very passionate and very mean, so I'm trying to tread lightly.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I think Raquel, like you said, deserving of all of a lot of criticism. But she composed yourself really well in the reunion. Arianna composed yourself really poorly in the reunion, and like you.
Speaker 3: Said, similar to this Sophia Colpo Alex Earle.
Speaker 1: Thing like, yeah, it's different, I guess because of the situation. But the way that Arianna was coming after Raquel really just it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.
Speaker 3: She was just being being really mean.
Speaker 6: To say, I wish the worst thing that could ever happen to a human happened to you.
Speaker 3: Is just crazy.
Speaker 7: Too much, That's that's too much.
Speaker 3: It's too much.
Speaker 1: And you know, she's again she knows she's getting gassed up by everyone, so she's like bringing going further and further and further with it. So I don't think she's you know, she's kind of getting lost in the in the sauce a little bit with all that. But I just I couldn't stand her, And you know, I know she's the victim in the situation, and I know this is kind of old news at this point, so why are we still talking about it? But I know she was the victim in the situation, so of course you have to extend a lot of empathy to her for that. But I like I because all I can ever do in that situation is like, try to put myself in that situation, Like if you did something like that and I was an Ariana's shoes, I couldn't in a million years imagine saying half of the stuff that she said, Like I just and so because I can't relate to it saying what she said, then I just don't connect with that at all, and I just kind of, you know, lose respect for that, I guess. So that's kind of that's where I'm coming from, I guess, with that situation.
Speaker 7: So and now this all started.
Speaker 6: Tom Schwartz is a good guy, we think, and someone I think you'd be friends with.
Speaker 7: That's how we started.
Speaker 3: You keep saying that. I don't know if that's true or not. I'm a pretty tough guy to get along with.
Speaker 1: But but Jared, I like you a lot, Kaylen, I love you a lot.
Speaker 3: Rob Thomas. I freaking love you a lot too.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys so much for listening to this episode of Help We Suck At Being Newlyweds? Is there anything else we want to touch on before we say goodbye?
Speaker 4: I'll do it.
Speaker 3: Oh. I hope you guys had a great fourth of July.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Happy blated forth, everyone.
Speaker 3: Happy belated forth. I can't wait to see.
Speaker 1: Oh it's like we're it's like we're it's like we're time travelers. If you think about it, we're kind of traveling through time space, time continuum. It's it's pre July fourth, but now it's actually post July fourth, Like what's going on?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 4: Maybe we'll enter a multiverse and meet variants of ourselves.
Speaker 1: Oh man, so what a time to be alive. Anyways, I love you guys. I'm going to say goodbye right now.
Speaker 3: Goodbye. Hopefully we suck a little bit less. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram Matt Help We Suck at Being.
Speaker 6: Newlyweds and email us at Newlyweds at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 4: Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. We'll see you next time.