Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's Thursday Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show. The rumored Kansas City Chiefs bias in the NFL has become a really, really hot topic. In fact, Patrick Mahomes addressed this yesterday in his press conference.
Speaker 3: I've kind of learned that no matter what happens during the game, that something's going to come out or about if you win and you continue to win, So I don't really pay attention to it. I mean, obviously I've been on both sides of it as far as how I felt the calls were made. But at the end of the day, man, those guys are doing their best to make the best calls and keep it toward the players and making the plays in the game. And that's what besides the outcome, And there was a call here or there that people didn't agree with, but at the same time, I think there was a lot of other plays that really decided to outcome of that football game.
Speaker 2: Okay, did the right thing. Compliment the officials doing the right thing. I've been on both sides of this. Now, nobody's suggesting that there's this scandal. Now some in our audience have suggested that the NFL somehow wants the Chiefs to win, but the penalty disparity between Kansas City and their postseason opponents is hard to ignore. It's you know, you start to look at the numbers and you go, all right, there's something there. Warren Sharp, who's a football analyst, found that since twenty twenty one, the Chiefs have benefited from a staggering penalty disparity this in the postseason. Over eleven playoff games, Kansas City has never had more penalties than their opponents, going ten to one. In that span, thirty six penalties compared to the sixty six.
Speaker 4: You know with their opponents, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: That's not one of those okay, kind of close there, sixty six to thirty six. The penalty disparity does raise questions here. Now you can say Kansas City's at home, you're going to get more calls. There's discipline here. Andy Reid is instilled discipline on this team. Maybe it's luck, maybe it's something else, but it's hard to say that the statistical anomaly hasn't benefited the league's best team. The numbers are there, and there is this perception and this is what all these leagues fight against the NBA. David Stern, Boy, you want to drive him crazy, talk about how you know these officials benefit the stars are certain teams, and he would be apoplectic. He'd go crazy. This commissioner, I have no idea how he feels about this. I would feel bad, or I'd at least be aware of the perception that the Chiefs get all these calls. Now, is that going to mean that the commissioner says something to the officials. I don't think so. But the officials want to get the call, right. Do I think that Mahomes flaunts the protect the quarterback rules?
Speaker 4: Yes? I do, and he's acknowledged that.
Speaker 2: I don't blame him for doing it, But then I don't blame somebody taking a shot at him. At some point, somebody's going to Is it going to be in the postseason? Is it going to be worth it? Does the team or as players or his teammates say, we'll pay the fine, you know what, We'll take the fifteen yards. We want to make sure that he doesn't continue to do this. But if you look at those numbers, just the raw numbers there, I don't think you can go it's nothing. I don't you know, even the biggest Kansas City chief apologist, Nick Wright, can't look at that and go that's nothing. I will say that you're at home, you're going to get more calls or you're probably not going to be guilty of, you know, the crowd noise bothering you, like, there's certain things that go in most teams will probably get the call, and there's a penalty disparity between home and a way. But these are postseason games and that's where you have a really good team coming in and they have discipline as well, or they wouldn't gotten to this point. So there are numbers that are there, and it doesn't help the perception that the Kansas City chiefs get all the phone calls. Got ahead of myself here, but good morning. If you're watching on Peacock and our radio affiliates around the country, our buddy Sean Salisbury, former quarterback Hill John is coming up here in a little bit eight seven to seven to three DP show update the poll results seat and then I have a suggestion for the NFL.
Speaker 5: Which would you want your team to hire an offensive coordinator defensive coordinator? Right now, that's at about seventy four percent offensive coordinator. Okay, we also have one that we we were going to get to yesterday but never quite got around to. Whose coaching legacy changes more with a Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Win this season? Okay, I don't know when you're ready for that. I don't know if I wasn't ready yesterday, I don't know if I'm ready today.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, how about which quarterback has more pressure on them this weekend?
Speaker 2: I'm not ready for that. I'm not ready for that one either. Let's do the coaches right now. Which coach would benefit the most? So Dan Quinn famously lost twenty eight to three a twenty eight to three lead with the Patriots, even though Kyle Shanahan gets the play.
Speaker 4: Andy Reid another super Bowl super Bowl win.
Speaker 5: That'd be four for him, including three in a row.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something nobody's ever done. Might move him to the He's definitely the second greatest coach of all time. Now see that Chuck Noel won four. That gets tricky. You know, Lombardy, they had won championships, then they won the first two Super Bowls. So I think when you're saying greatest coach of all time, there's probably going to be asterisk with certain names of when they coached, you know, Chuck Nole winning four Super Bowls? Would I put him there with Belichick? Yes, I would Don Shula, but Don Shula didn't win enough super Bowls to be he has the most wins. You can throw in Tom Landry if you I mean, there's a lot of coaches, Bill Walsh, you can put him in there.
Speaker 4: There's quite a few of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Andy Reid's name definitely gets mentioned, sure a lot more with that with a fourth super Bowl and three in a row, and three in a row, absolutely, so dan Quinn would make up for the loss, even though that wouldn't really help Atlanta fans.
Speaker 2: McDermott and Buffalo. Boy, that's a big one. That's a big one. That's where it's like, yeah, that's pretty good. It felt like he's been on the hot seat a couple of times, or at least the perceived hot seat. Then you win a super Bowl in a year where I think most people thought Buffalo would be a good team, not a great team. And if you beat Kansas City in Kansas City and you'd win a Super Bowl, ding ding ding ding ding ding, that's a big deal. Andy, You know, that's a big deal for Andy Nick Sirian Cirianni. That's also one of those he's on the hot seat. He could win a super Bowl and still be on the hot seat.
Speaker 4: It feels definitely yes.
Speaker 2: And what did he say to the fans? You know, does he get along with Jalen Hurts? I would say, I'd say mc Sean McDermott, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 6: You're stopping the three peat, so it has more weight to it. It's you're not getting to the super Bowl by beating a scrub team or a rando team. You're taking down the Chiefs, and a lot of people want you to do it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think I mentioned it yesterday. But I think Steve Spagnolo Spags Spags gets a massive boost. He's he's gonna end up going to the Hall of Fame as a coordinator, which I don't know how many times that happens.
Speaker 4: Did we find that out? Can we?
Speaker 2: We checked with our research people the number of coordinators just ordinator, give me that many. I just thought Dick Lebou was a coordinator, but he's a former player as well.
Speaker 6: Yes, Pauline, I only found one yesterday. It was Dick lebo and I think he gets a bonus. He was a head coach for a couple of years with the Bengals two thousand to two didn't work out so well, but he got most of his credit for being an assistant coach. He does get a lot of credit because he had a very good NFL career as a player.
Speaker 2: By the way, if you're in New Orleans Super Bowl Week, Dan interviews Dan Dan Lebutard interviews me and I interview Dan Lebttard will be at Tip of Tina's in New Orleans. Great spot. That'll be February fifth at seven Central. Tickets can be found Danpatrick dot com and across our social media platforms. Yeah, I would say Sean McDermot, anybody have anybody else that they would go They they could use a real boost winning or that would really boost them up.
Speaker 5: Yes, I and Kellen Moore could use the boost too. He's kind of he was the like air apparent in Dallas and now since he's bounced around a little bit to strike out on his own, I think that he if he could help lead that offense to a Super Bowl win, that would be a massive boost for him.
Speaker 2: So now we've made it assistant coach who could use the biggest next level.
Speaker 5: We just said coach and not head coach. They're all coach coach, Spags over under ten Cutaways just Steve Spagnola Cutaway is not mentioned.
Speaker 2: Well, I think if they show him then they'll mention Spags is dialing something up. Definitely over You're gonna go over ten because there's more shots of Spags than there is Taylor Swift. Oh yeah, they no, definitely definitely. Okay, let's do a bet who's on camera? Who gets more screen time? How about that Taylor Swift or Spags styling something up. See, I'm gonna do Spags because I think the networks know that people they don't necessarily want to see Taylor Swift. I mean you know that she's there. Great, you show her playoff game? Okay? Is she sitting next to whoever? Caitlin Clark? Is it gonna be Travis Kelsey's mom? But I don't know, Brittany Mahomes. I think maybe maybe three three appearances over under three and a half three and a half, yes, yes, Marvin, but.
Speaker 8: I think it depends on how good Travis Kelsey's playing. Oh, if he has eleven catches, that's at least seven or eight panaways.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, miss Taylor Swift, all right, but what if Chris Jones has got three sacks and who's the defensive lineman there? Yeah, if he gets two sacks, you go to Spags. Oh he's dialing some I can dial up a lot of stuff. That doesn't mean it's going to happen now, says Spags is dialing something up. Somebody has to be able to put that in motion. Yes, Pauli, you know you've made it in the NFL.
Speaker 6: When they don't, they don't say, you know, the Chiefs defense is playing really well this week. The Spagnolo defense is really playing well this week.
Speaker 4: These Spags.
Speaker 9: Yes, Ton, And if you add up the total seconds of airtime, I would have to go to Spags because when they show Taylor for a couple of quick seconds, she's hugging someone or high fiving Patrick Mahomes's wife. When you're talking about a particular play and you're getting reaction in the headphones on the sideline, you're more likely I would think to stay on Spags for longer periods.
Speaker 2: Of the Yah Spags, he's always dialing something. Uh No, other defensive coordinator dials something up.
Speaker 4: It's always Spags.
Speaker 8: Yes, Martin Spags in the fourth quarter alone against the Rams. They showed him about five or six times because they just kept going after Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 4: Bags.
Speaker 8: Oh look what he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even though Matthew Stafford could have led them down and won the game against US. You know the defense that they were dialing up, the Stevie Spags defense.
Speaker 4: My bad, Spags. I had the wrong team. I have the Rams and the Eagles. Yes, you have to say his name.
Speaker 6: It's not the fiesta ball, it's the tostitos festa a spagnolo defense.
Speaker 4: What would you like tonight? I'll take the spagnolo please? Yes? Is maren ariosouce on that?
Speaker 9: Please?
Speaker 4: Jimmy and tell me Kalamara.
Speaker 2: I love the spags. Spaghetti spag spagghetti. Yeah, there we go. Yes, Yes.
Speaker 6: If you work in a restaurant, they shorten it to spag. If you put in an order, you put it. Yeah. I need two spags. I need two spag and balls. I'm dead serious. Like if you go in the back of a restaurant and you hear the ordering, especially Italian, I need two spag and balls.
Speaker 4: Rush all right, those spaghetti and meatballs.
Speaker 5: I'm asking if that's true. Yeah, I'm gonna ask if that's true on the Twitter machine.
Speaker 6: It's true in the restaurants I worked at.
Speaker 4: What restaurants did you work it?
Speaker 6: In my life? Yeah, four or five different ones.
Speaker 5: Paul, You've had more jobs than I've known you for twenty years. And I've never heard you discussed working and arrest. Ever heard you say that bar and grill. When you work in a bar, it's not a restaurant. Well, okay, it has a rest and delivering. You are also a bouncer when you're a bar back, though I bar backed a lot. And when you bar back, you're running food back and forth. You're running beer back and forth, drinks back.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if you've ever said that you worked in a restaurant. You've been to a couple of them, and almost they were restaurants.
Speaker 6: They had a full many bars, they had a full kitchen. They were bars that served food. Where I heard it was a place called Peters in New York City. I was a doorman bartender depending on the day, and when you being back, you'd hear the wildness that's in the back of the back of the house as they call it. That'll wear a lot of hats sometimes.
Speaker 2: Setan's had a lot of jobs too, but Pauli's had more that many, not as many as Paul.
Speaker 6: I probably worked in six different.
Speaker 4: Bars, being a bouncer, bar back.
Speaker 6: Dorman, dorman more than bouncer. I checked your ID. I didn't push anybody around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey, don't mess with that guy. Right.
Speaker 6: Well, they thought there must be something I had because there's no physical commodation.
Speaker 2: Maybe a gun that I'd be the only thing. It'd be, like, I don't know. That guy didn't look like that. He's It's like Howard Stearn's bodyguard, Ronnie mund You know he's a limo driver, but uh, you know, he looked intimidating. I think, but I don't know. If somebody goes man, I'm not going to get to Howard. I got to go through Ronnie. Don't want to mess with that.
Speaker 5: Paul is working with Jim Nancy at CBS, whilst also being a personal trainer at the Rebunk Club.
Speaker 4: And serving spagging balls at Morton's. That is in one summer, not Morton's or whatever it was.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 6: I don't know what my first year in New York City I was simultaneously working CBS Sports, Peters and the Rebochethetic Club where you've been in before, all three jobs at once. Got to make ends meet in your Yeah, yeah you do. I was a weekend guy at the CBS. A lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me spags and balls. That's all I care about. How about we take a break. Shawn Salisbury's going to join us. I want him to tweak the rules on these quarterback rules protection there. What would sean former quarterback I have to say about all this? Get phone calls, got a new poll question as well, Our dour rankings coming up later on this hour as well.
Speaker 4: We're back after this and the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 11: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich?
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 10: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 11: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 10: I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 12: As they say, I'd.
Speaker 11: Say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 10: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up, update the poll results as well. Still trying to figure out what the cowboys are doing. It feels like the cowboys are doing what the cowboys do that you bring in familiar familiarity. These guys know what the deal is. Aside from Dion that you come in. Jerry's still going to be the head coach and maybe you're going to have the same results as well. Brian Schottenheimer is a lifer of football guy. He's been in the system with the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: He would be.
Speaker 2: Thrilled to be the next head coach of the Cowboys. But here was my problem with the whole situation with Mike McCarthy. You dangle him, he's got a one year deal, he's a lame duck, and then all of a sudden you can't decide if you're going to keep him or not, and then Mike probably said, you know what, I'm out of here. Well, it hurts you because then you had this window to be able to talk to these offensive and defensive coordinators during your their bye week in Detroit. You could have talked to Ben Johnson as a result, and you miss out on having a zoom call with Ben Johnson. I don't think Ben Johnson wanted to go to the Cowboys because he knows what the situation is. He's going to be in Chicago and he's going to be able to run his team, or at least he hopes so. Mike Rabel's same way with New England. If you're going to go into Dallas, You're not going to be running the Dallas Cowboys. Let's bring in Sean Soulisbury, former NFL quarterback. Also he hosts the morning show on Sports Talk seven ninety in Houston. Good to talk to you again, Sean. Do you have an idea what the Cowboys are doing?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're being the Cowboys.
Speaker 13: Dan, think about this now, which you mentioned, and listen to what you're saying.
Speaker 7: Their inconsistency and.
Speaker 13: Lack of like proactive is exactly who they've been since the mid nineties. And Jerry Dion notwithstanding, if he pulls that off, it'll be because relationships and all that. But Jerry, Jerry would have fired himself fifteen times as the GM since the mid nineties. Great Marketer, the best in the world. But the problem is is that Jerry's never gonna let anybody come in there and be the face.
Speaker 7: And the voice of the building.
Speaker 13: He's just not And when you have that, you can't be a doctor in a lawyer in the same office. You got to be able to empower people to do it. So you're gonna get guys not saying these guys aren't good football coaches. Brian Schottenheimer, Kellen Moore, Jason Garrett. You're gonna get guys who come in and are gonna say, I want this job. I don't need any other power. I want a head coach. Let me at least have a little autonomy to hire some of the guys we want. But you make any decision you want, it's not gonna be somebody with power that wants to run the building, not only the groceries, but also put it out there and be the guy in the hallway after the game that's doing the press conference. As long as Jerry continues this, the Dallas Cowboys will be who they are a January if they're lucky team.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I know that the Dion story, and you know that had legs for a while because it was the Cowboys and Dion, and I kept saying, I just don't know if it's real.
Speaker 4: I still don't know if it's real.
Speaker 2: But I did see an article that said Colorado is upping its contract talks with.
Speaker 7: What a coinn Yeah, shocker.
Speaker 13: Hey, if you're not really looking for the job, the best they can do is bring out the pro interest and you'll get paid. But Dan real quick on that that's good for him. Heyle if you can get it, go get more money. Sure, but the Dion talk. If Dion, there's a lot of familiarity there. If Dion was going to get the Cowboys gig, and I mean, maybe it'd be awesome. Wouldn't he already have it? What are you waiting for? This is who the Cowboys are. Wait till everybody's gone and they say, well, we're.
Speaker 7: Going to hire Dave Campo tomorrow.
Speaker 13: Not that Dave camp wouldn't a good coach, but now Jerry still gets to be the loudest voice in the biggest face in the building. That's not changing, Dan, regardless of everybody's wish.
Speaker 2: Why does it the appearance that the Chiefs get more calls than anybody else? Why is that, whether it's based in fact or based in fiction, there is that perception. And there are numbers that show when they play their last eleven playoff games, they're ten to one, and the disparity between the penalties on them and to the disparity on their opposition.
Speaker 7: Well, Dan, whyatt seems like it is because they do?
Speaker 13: Right now, I understand Bird and Jordan and Kobe and all the guys getting Lebron getting calls because they're superstars.
Speaker 7: It doesn't mean that should be the case.
Speaker 13: A goaltending calls a goaltending call in basketball, right, it should be no matter who the guy is blocking a shot in football? Why is it that the Brady's or the Stars are supposed to get more calls in the backup? Hell, the backup needs more calls because he's not as good.
Speaker 7: There is that perception maybe they've earned ooh, a different look.
Speaker 13: When Tony Gwynn took a pitch, umpires if they were sitting on the fence called at a ball. Well, it's Tony Gwynn, and I understand that similar feeling here. I don't want it diminish because listen, you could slice it and be as pissed as you want about the Chiefs and their success. They become the villain now because people are fatigued by them. But they know how to win. They're great, great situational football, even when it doesn't look pretty. When the time is right, they always make a play. And then every now and again you'll get a call that was a phantom, and the perception is that's how they win all their games. That's not true. The Texans got their ass kick because they gave up eight sacks. They special teams was horrible and you let it. You know, the their offense with Kelsey do whatever they wanted, and the bonuses that you get a couple phantom calls on homes, you do have to go in knowing two or three times a game that will happen. So you're beating a twelfth man on plays. But I think we diminished the Chiefs great play and situational greatness.
Speaker 7: Because of a couple calls.
Speaker 13: Would they help, Yeah, if you could get them back, and you need them going there, But that's not the reason they keep winning. They keep winning because they got more guts and stones at the right time than most of their opponents. But make no mistake, they do get superstar treatment and you and I both know it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So moving forward, the NFL will do what in the sliding rule or protecting the quarterback or you know, and Mahomes is admitted that he's kind of flaunting this. Hey, I'm kind of getting out of bound, kind of getting that oh to flop out of mounds or when you slide. The NFL does have It's not a crisis, but it certainly is. The situation needs to be tended to.
Speaker 13: My favorite is all quarterbacks hate to protect. They do, Dan, you've talked to them, I have to. Quarterbacks don't like the over protection. But I'll be damned at the second they get a hit, their heads snap into the officials saying, aren't you gonna call that? And Mahomes is great at manipulating which the rules are allowing the little okie dokee by the sideline step and extend the ball. Know that you're over there slowing down. Maybe you'll get a hit, maybe you'll get the foul. And he would get it, so he's not dumb. He gets it.
Speaker 14: Dan.
Speaker 13: With all this talk, you know what they're gonna do, protect the quarterbacks and players more.
Speaker 7: That's what they're gonna do.
Speaker 13: Because the lawsuits and oh my gosh, they're gonna tell you that they're gonna watch it a little better. Well, when all, when all, when all, you can never take an eight carrot diamond ring for your fiance and show her it then go give her the one carrot cubic zirconya.
Speaker 7: You just can't do it. And it's the same thing here.
Speaker 13: You're not gonna go here and all of a sudden say let's back off the injuries, even though we all know the rules suck. We overprotect. We've lost the integrity of tackle football, and it adds to it when superstar quarterbacks have it. The bottom line for me, Dan, I hate the feet first slide rule when you break out of the pocket. We have so many great runners at quarterback now that look at Jayden Daniels and Hurts and Allen and Jackson and Mahomes. These guys now are so good at not only manipulating the rules, but so good using being two dimensional players that why can't we go back to be smart in the open field like Elway.
Speaker 7: Had to do when he played with his feet or Steve Young get down. I hate.
Speaker 13: I think that you're opening yourself up to more injuries and problems by keeping the feet first slide because of the okie dope and defensive players. Every single rule on the planet is set up for points and a defensive player to get host. I'm not sure how you approach a player because the same guy that doesn't take a hit on an open a legal hit on a quarterback in the open field, you know what their coach says to him on Monday much and tape, Dan, keep doing that and you'll be looking for another job. Defenses get hosed. It's gotta change. I doubt it will, but it should. I can't stand the feet first slide. When you leave that pocket, you become a football player like everybody else, and do what everybody else has to do. Protect your damn self, or go stand on there and do what I did. Grab gatorad and hand it to the guy who's out there protecting himself.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got to give me the quarterback under the most pressure this weekend.
Speaker 13: Well, just by playoff pressure. It's sure not Jayden. Dan is all how special to see Dan? Right, boy, the poise, everything that's been documented. I think there's you know, he's a rookie, so I hate the word. Well, he's on house money. You never know if you're gonna get back. So it's not him. Jalen hurts. The pressure to throw. If Philadelphia is a pressure pack city, and if they don't throw it, well that team they're playing can possibly make them one dimensional leaving. As good as Barkley is, it's not Mahomes because well he keeps piling him up. He's chasing Brady. He's got his He just wants more and he wants to be greedy, and I unblameing. It's gotta be Josh Allen, even after the great season he's had. After all, he's the best player in Lamar Jackson not to win a major in the golf course, right, Dan.
Speaker 7: It's got to be him.
Speaker 13: He's going on the road that we've seen this movie before, the expectations.
Speaker 7: He's played great, he's protected the ball, he's.
Speaker 13: Dressing in a phone booth every week, and he'll have to do it again. I think it falls on him because no matter what happens, even if he throws for four hundred and five touchdowns, if they lose, we're gonna walk off this field. And you know what we're gonna say, because that's how we do is, yeah, can get you to January, but can't get you to February. Even if he plays like Superman this week, it falls back on him and.
Speaker 7: People can he say yeah, but can he get you to February?
Speaker 13: Which will not be fair, but it'll be because they can't win this game if he plays average. He's got to play great. Most of the pressure falls on him. One guy's too young. The other guy, I don't think we expect to throw for three hundred yards and Jalen hurts, it's one of these guys, and it's not Mahomes because he's got his It's all on Allen because he's got a Hall of Fame career budding. He just doesn't have a Super Bowl ring and this would to some validate that for him.
Speaker 2: Shawn Salisbury, former NFL quarterback, host of the Sean Salisbury Shows Sports Talk seven ninety in Houston. I would argue and say it's Mahomes because everything he's doing is Brady. Yes, if you get there, you got to win. You don't know how long the gravy train last, and he could have a three peat, which Tom never had. Now, all of a sudden, you're bringing in Michael Jordan. So if you're Mahomes, now, all of a sudden, we've gone outside of the sport and now we're bringing up the name, or I would Michael Jordan, who three peated twice.
Speaker 13: He's the best winner in sports right now. Dan in team sports, he really is. He's the best winner in team sports. And it may not look pretty all the time, but he finds ways, which to me is a great trait. There are certain guys who find ways to lose. Mahomes finds ways to win, regardless of roster shifting and all that. But Dan and I think maybe we could even put in two verticals right. One is the pressure on Mahomes for the individual legacy see chasing Brady three pete, the things that he hasn't done and still things you've got to accomplish to get to Brady's numbers, the wins and all that and that legacy. But there's also the other side that Mahomes and the team. If the Chiefs lose this game, I doubt that very few people are going to walk off saying man, the Kansas City Chiefs and Mahomes. That kind of takes some shine off mahomes career chasing because even Brady lost some, he even lost them even in that undefeated season. So while there's pressure, I think for him that inner pressure of I'm keeping track, even though he won't tell you this, keeping track with the Brady chase that exists, the Jordan Chase, the Tiger Woods chase. I do think that's relevant Dan and applies here. But as an overall team, I think the pressure of a city are expectations. Buffalo also having been to four in a Row and even the great Jim Kelly. They didn't win one of those. I think that part when it comes to the team, adds the extra team pressure. Tosh Allen and a guy who is so good but hasn't been validated with the Super Bowl appearance.
Speaker 2: Now give me the coach who benefits the most from a Super Bowl win.
Speaker 13: Well, we already know that Andy Reid's the best coaching football right now, and he's he's in a chase mode too. But I think we've already got him as he's a surefire, no brainer Hall of Famer, and.
Speaker 2: He can he catch Belichick. We're talking about mahomes so right, like it's a package deal that if one catches one, then the other one catches one.
Speaker 13: Dan, There's a lot of wins to go in that category, isn't there. You got to be a little lucky to get to the Belichick shoela.
Speaker 7: But canny, Yeah, depends on how long Andy Reid wants to do it.
Speaker 13: And if he has a guy that wears number fifteen's pretty good over the next decade. Yeah, I think, But he's got his ring now. That pressure existed when Andy came from Philly. It's not on it's not on Quinn. He's still you know, building his team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he would be able to make up for twenty eight to three.
Speaker 13: There is no doubt after being down to Brady himself, that would be great validation. I think because of the pressure they've been there before last year, losing coordinators and everybody even had him at the beginning of the season. If they struggle, we're going to fire him. The Nick Sirianny thing and the pressure of Philly. I think that I'm gonna put it on him, and I think Sean McDermott as well in the AFC you can pick six and one a half dozen in the other because he too has had really good teams.
Speaker 7: They've knocked on the door and have been there at least.
Speaker 13: Syrian he's been to his and Plus you know, McDermott's going against the guy who was his mentor and the guy who had him on his coaching staff in Philadelphia. So probably it's Buffalo or Philly for sure. I don't think it exists other than the inter fight for Dan Quinn.
Speaker 7: But Andy Reid. There's always pressure.
Speaker 13: It's on all of them. But Andy Reid's career is not going to be diminished or we're not going to say yeah, he's not Belichick if he loses a Super Bowl or doesn't get there.
Speaker 4: Good to talk to you as always, Sean, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 7: Great to talk to you, Dan, appreciate you. Enjoy that.
Speaker 2: Sean Salisbury, former NFL quarterback, host of The Sean Salisbury Show in Sports Talk seven ninety in Houston, Hell Brad and Missouri. Hi Brad, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 4: How you doing good? Brand six joke is ish?
Speaker 15: Uh?
Speaker 4: Tell me man, Jerry Jones, when when.
Speaker 15: Will he ever learn he needs?
Speaker 2: I can't help you, Brad. Nothing's going to change nothing nothing. If you brought in Dion then maybe, but maybe that's why I didn't bring him in. Jerry wants all the credit. I mean you just go back to his fingerprints on the team when Jimmy was there, and that was you know, that created a real divide like that friction lasted decades. That's how deep it went. Somebody taking credit, he's getting credit. I deserve credit. Look at what I did. I don't think that's going away. Dan and Jacksonville, Hi, Dan, what's on your mind?
Speaker 3: Hey man?
Speaker 6: Five forty two.
Speaker 15: Just got a quick question with channeling the movie Moneyball. Is the NFL headed towards putting all their money in offensive defensive lines and having average quarterbacks and average receivers and still being successful.
Speaker 2: Well, no, these quarterbacks are so talented, the rules are catered to them. You're seeing so much athleticism now, everybody you know you, As Steve Young says, every single time Steve Young is on the show, he talks about, gosh, I wish I would be playing today. I was born too soon because you can take you you can utilize your arm and legs. And he said, it's so easy to.
Speaker 4: Do that now.
Speaker 2: But I think having an offensive line is going to make a quarterback look a whole lot better. It's hard for a quarterback to make an offensive line that's average look really good. But if you have a really good like the Eagles have a really good offensive line, they make Jalen Hurts look a whole lot better than what he is. In my opinion, When the Chiefs didn't have a good offensive line, Patrick Mahomes looked human. They have a good offensive line, so still the best weapon. It's important. Man can't stress that enough. Give me offensive and defensive lines, but I can have a good quarterback who becomes a great quarterback. I can have a great quarterback who's going to be an all time quarterback. That's what your offensive line can do. It gives you time. It gives you time to even if you don't have great weapons, you still have time to do something. You know, Brady, I don't know if the offensive line was great, but it was great for him, and he had just I mean, he got rid of the ball faster than anybody. There's a reason for that because he had to. But to be able to take advantage of your weapons, you gotta have an offensive line. And I think that that's always what I look for when people watch a game. I don't watch the quarterback take the ball. I watch the offensive and defensive line. I just want to see if somebody's coming up the middle, something happens, somebody falls down, somebody is coming around the edge. I kind of watch there and then watch the play. Probably not normal, but I'm just conditioned to watch these lines and what they do. When we come back, we'll have dour rankings, more of your phone calls as well.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six Am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, they bring your car back to life with affordable paint jobs and light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get mako. Shay Gilgius Alexander Junior the Third went for fifty four. That's a career high thunder over the Jazz. First thunder player with a fifty point game since Russell Westbrook Junior the Third in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 14: Stall of a day, Stall of a day, Stalla a day, Stanata Day.
Speaker 12: This is the Stele of the day.
Speaker 4: And in case you sure wonder.
Speaker 2: According to DraftKings the odds to win the NBA MVP, it's Shay Gilgios Alexander minus five hundred. Next is the Joker at plus three point eighty. The Joker is still the best player in the game. But if they give it to Shay gilgis he's done a wonderful job. This team has been the best team in the NBA, or at least best team in the West. I have no problem with that. Sometimes, you know, you have to get to that point where you've earned an MVP, you know down through history. Hey, it feels like it's not your turn yet. It's almost like winning an Academy award. Yeah, I don't know, not yet, and then all of a sudden you'll win and might not be your best year. But Jay gilches Alexander has been wonderful for OKAC and I think looking at the Nuggets now, they're over five hundred, maybe ten or eleven games over five hundred. He's averaging a triple double and that's just an O by the way, triple double and he does it before the fourth quarter. I think he has maybe ten triple doubles before the fourth quarter.
Speaker 8: Yes, marmun, this is going to be like al Pacino, not winning for the Godfather, but winning for Scent of a Woman, Like oh you want for that? Oh okay, yeah, but not the unbelievable performance that you have earlier.
Speaker 2: But I thought that the Nuggets did a disservice to Joker. They did not strengthen that team. And I don't think that team is anywhere near what it was when they won a championship. And Oka see getting Chad Holmgren back. That's a good team, a deep team, and you know, a run for a championship would be uh, pretty good for SGA.
Speaker 4: Yes, poem.
Speaker 6: How long have the Thunder been around as a thunder? Less than twenty years?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 6: Maybe seven?
Speaker 7: Eight?
Speaker 4: Well, Durant spent his rookie year in Seattle.
Speaker 6: Okay, so probably oh eight. This will be their third MVP. Durant got one Westbrook and SGA. Yeah that's a lot in a short wins. Pretty good, Yeah, pretty good?
Speaker 12: All right?
Speaker 2: Dower rankings, Now this can be an any sport. I'm gonna take the Lions off the list. Yeah, I have to. They had a really bad week. You lose, then you lose coordinators, and I would say they would be number one. They'd have a number one seed as the Dower rankings todd any sport Dower rank Who are you Dower on?
Speaker 9: I'm Dower on the Jaguars because they just seem very lost with this latest deal. You fire the coach and then a month later the j gone Trevor Lawrence is regressing. Hopefully that'll change, and they just seemed like a team that's lost and maybe they should just move to London altogether this point.
Speaker 2: Well, they'd still have to hire a coach. Like when you get there, and you'd still have to.
Speaker 9: It's just a confused mess and they really need to get that figured out before the draft.
Speaker 4: Seaton, who were you dower on? He dowered on Jimmy Butler?
Speaker 5: Oh, like dog, you had it figured out where you were this guy that nobody believed in, and then it is like, damn, Miami figured it out. Jimmy Butler is the guy. How about that? That's crazy. Look at all these people that had Jimmy Butler passed on and now all of this nonsense.
Speaker 4: Sure down on Jimmy Butler.
Speaker 2: Dan Levittard, voice of Miami Sports, will join his Top of the Hour get his thoughts on Jimmy Butler. He's certainly trying to he's not playing, but he's certainly his mannerisms at getting him out of Miami here.
Speaker 5: Yes, and it's crazy too. I mean he's he's made three hundred million dollars in his career. He makes fifty million dollars a year and it's probably not good enough.
Speaker 4: Maybe a little more.
Speaker 9: God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sad to see because you know, we thought it wasn't him. It was Minnesota wasn't him. It's Philadelphia wasn't him. It was the bulls Now. All of a sudden, it's not him, it's the Heat. There's one constant here, and it's Jimmy Butler.
Speaker 4: Marvin.
Speaker 8: I can't think of anybody else besides Jimmy Butler. Oh, and I definitely think this is gonna hurt in the long run because it's gonna be twenty years and the Heat still won't retire his jersey. It's gonna be something like Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys. I think it's gonna hurt him long term.
Speaker 4: Here's still gonna be a Hall of Famer making three hundred million dollars. He'll be okay. Yeah, Paul Dower.
Speaker 6: This might be out of nowhere, but the Philadelphia seventy six Ers the past six or seven years, they always felt like a competitive contending team. They're fifteen and twenty seven. I didn't even know that. I don't pay attention to the Sixers day to day. They're borderline irrelevant and not. It doesn't look better Max. He looked like the future and man Dower fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they had guys who got hurt, and you have embiid hurt. I mean that that's just a terrible situation. Moving forward, embiid. Can't play, I mean really can't play, can't play consistently. Then you're gonna have to pay him. I don't know what he's there on the hook for with that contract.
Speaker 12: Can't play, can't can't play, not low, can't you for three?
Speaker 8: Can't play?
Speaker 12: I was waiting for the stecred person. I can't use him. The Clippers could use him.
Speaker 2: It's Booty, Michael Oliva, Candy, get off CATCHEQUI can't play.
Speaker 4: They can't play. Slap that's another one.
Speaker 12: Four minutes a game. That's too much.
Speaker 14: Can't play Jonas Valatunism there that back uh Satan update the results.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's see we got two of them up there right now. We have would you rather your team hire an offensive coordinator or defense? And that's at about seventy three percent with like an offensive coordinator. And then we also have who's coaching legacy changes more with a Super Bowl win this season? Andy Reid, Steve Spagnolo, Dan Quinn, Sean McDermott, Nick Sirianni, Kellen Moore find out after the break.
Speaker 4: Wow that's a team. Oh yeah, that's a tea.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Save that for Levatar and see if he's got the guts to weigh in on that.
Speaker 2: No, no, we just want Levittard to weigh in on Jimmy Butler. Nothing else. That's all two hours in the books. One more to go on this Thursday. Todd the Minister of Humor, seat and Marv Paulie yours Truly, we're back after this