Speaker 1: Speaking of expansions, do not makeer. Krispy Kreme is maintaining its full your outlook as margins improve, helping to offset lower revenue. CEO Josh Charlesworth says that the company is making continued significant progress on its turnaround and so pleased to say that Josh joins us now. Josh, great to see you. And look, it's clear this turnaround that you've been doing, focusing on having more franchise stores, it's working with your improved margins. How much more official operational efficiency do you think you can squeeze out or do you need to kind of refocus on getting that top line growth back.
Speaker 2: He's good morning, Great to see you. Yeah, the turnaround we announced a year ago is working, and you're right. We've seen margins improve this quarter three hundred and forty basis points. That's contributed also to us our ability to pay down their leverage. We're down one point three turns on that. But perhaps most important for the future, and to your point, is we're also seeing good underlying growth. If you exclude the business we exited last year, distribution at McDonald's, we actually grew four point four percent in the second quarter, which is a really good sign, and so I see going forward that will be able to continuous to improve the margins, like you say, but also at the same time grow the business because people want our donuts.
Speaker 3: Well. Again, on the margin side, I'm wondering if you're having any impact from all of the inflation that we have seen that are people worried about, and whether you feel you have any pricing power to make up for well.
Speaker 2: We've made a lot of operational improvements over the last year. We have, for example, outsourced our logistics that's the deliveries from our donut shops to our customers like Walmart, Target and the like, and outsourcing that has provided a lot of predictability and cost efficiency opportunities. We've also made sure that all our revenues are profitable, shifting to distribution that is more profitable than before, for example our fresh delivery channel that's the delivery to those grocery inconvenience stores. This sales per location are up weekly sales by thirty percent a year of a year, so we're able not just to address those cost pressures but improve the underlying profitability of the whole network.
Speaker 1: Have you seen any changes in consumer behavior? Josh I know when you talk about Krispy Kreme, you say, look, this is usually the treat that people go out for. Are they maybe buying that treat less often? Are they changing exactly what they're ordering? Are they opting for maybe more of a basic or a smaller package. Has anything shifted.
Speaker 2: In the consumer It's interesting in this dynamic consumer environment, we see that we are well positioned. As you say, it's because you're right, it's a resolutely infrequent purchase, just on average two to three times a year. Yours usually bought for sharing occasions, special occasions, and celebrations, and we're seeing that, you know, those fresh donuts are well well positioned in this market, and that explains I think the underlying growth. We've seeing people love our original glaze. It's our most popular and affordable product, usually brought in a dozen, and we're seeing even second dozen sales going up. And also we're bringing a ton of innovation that people get excited about. It's important for them to see our latest creations. It creates buzz and excitement for the brand, and we're seeing those perform well in our traditional channels and increasingly in the digital channel as well. So there's a lot of engagement around the brand in this environment.
Speaker 3: Have you felt any pressure to sort of match some of your competition and add products to your lineup?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the number one reason why people say they may not purchase Krispy Kreme is where do I get it? I want to get those amazing fresh donuts, And so our focus is more about taking those fresh donuts that we make in our donut shops from scratch. You can actually literally see the doughe being prepared and the donuts being decorated in our shops. How do we get them to people more conveniently? And that's why we've been partnering with the likes of Walmart, Target also making them available online, and so that's where we see the growth opportunity really doing what we do best, make great fresh donuts.
Speaker 1: But Josh, the space is so hyper competitive, both dessert and bakery, whether it's your big chain competitors Duncan, Starbucks leaning into their breakfast and pastry offerings, or hyperlocal chains popping up, Crumble coming up. So kind of like the sweets and dessert things feel like they are kind of cyclical, that they have these moments and now feels like one of those moments, Josh, how do you compete with the old stalwarts of again, the Starbucks and the Duncans of the world, trying to compete more and competitors seemingly pop up every day.
Speaker 2: It's a combination of innovation and creativity bringing excitement to our customers. More than half our customer base is age under thirty five. We have eighteen million loyalty members. That's just for four hundred donut shops across the country, showing how engaging those people in the brand, engaging them in the new donut creations, whether they're seasonal variations or our cadence or limited time offerings. We did a fourth of July two hundred and fiftieth birthday donut collection was really popular. My favorite was the orange glazed Dreamsicle. We just tomorrow will launch our pumpkin Spice as part of our full collection. So we find that we're able to stay ahead of that competition by bringing what nobody else can do. Can I ask you quickly?
Speaker 1: We have like no time left, but what's the weirdest donut you guys have ever put out? I'm just listening to these like orange creamsicle. What do you think is the most strange donut you've ever put into.
Speaker 2: The market, so it's amazing what you can do with the doughnut. My favorite was the blueberry glaze that we just did. I don't think it's strange. I think everybody loves those traditional flavors, but sometimes, yeah, we do fun stuff as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, blueberry glaze isn't strange at all, Josh. It does sound delicious though. I know where our stop will be after the show. Christphy Creme CEO, Josh Charlesworth, thank you so much for joining us.