Speaker 1: Welcome everyone. We're so thrilled to have you here at NYBG for this very special occasion. Our garden is two hundred and fifty acres of living collections, from oaks to conifers, to the blooming peonies that are in flower right now, to of course roses. You can find it all here at NYBG, and through a very robust set of programs and outreach, we educate people of all ages through nature. I hope that you have an opportunity to explore the garden when you're here today, including of course the beautiful Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden, which just recently received a dozen new Martha Stewart roses in the garden. Yes, speaking of Martha Stewart, it is my honor to introduce her. Martha has been gardening since she was three years old, when she worked at her father's side in their small but productive backyard garden in Nutley, New Jersey. She is also the chief gardening officer for Miracle Grow. So please join me and welcoming Martha Stewart.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Jennifer. The garden here looks amazing, just so beautiful, and this episode is brought to you by our good friends at Miracle Grow, which is dedicated to helping gardeners of all experience and levels to grow with confidence. My guest today is new to gardening, but she is a well known presence in the world of acting and activism. Jamila Jamiel Is that your real name?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it is her real name. She had a career as a journalist and a DJ.
Speaker 4: You can call me anything you wanted.
Speaker 2: She moved to the United States from London in twenty sixteen to work as a screenwriter. And she does informed me that she actually worked with Snoop Dogg, my friend in his entourage.
Speaker 3: What were you doing for him?
Speaker 5: I was his press coordinator when I was twenty four. So we went on tour together around Europe and I would decide who got to ask him questions, and he gave me a stick that I could point at the press. And in that moment I knew I could never be king or queen because I was power mad.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that was fun.
Speaker 2: And so then one day, without any formal previous previous acting experience, she landed a role in the award winning fantasy comedy series The Good Place. Jamie al I is also an activist for women's body positivity. What do you mean it's act not fund to a garden. Look how she comes dressed.
Speaker 4: This is what I wear and I garden. Okay, look at these calloused hands.
Speaker 2: You have no bruises, nothing I have. Look at the wounds I have on my arm.
Speaker 4: From let's fight from the start.
Speaker 2: That ways from that was from pruning my rose bushes because Ryan McAllister, my famous gardener, who is sitting here in the audience right here, he had not previously pruned the road the deadwood out of the roses.
Speaker 3: And I went in there with a vengeance, just pissed off that nobody had.
Speaker 2: Nobody had prune the raiss and I forgot to wear gloves, and I just I am completely black and blue.
Speaker 4: Well, I pruned my own rose bush, you did. We all have our ways.
Speaker 2: Matha and Janilla actually asked if she could be a little raunchy today, and I said, go for it, because you know, it's kind of a sad world out there, and you might as well laugh. And so yes, go for it. You are charming in that dress. She has a dress that her boobs are hanging out of. And those of you who cannot who are listening and cannot see she is a most gorgeous creature. There's a Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: But no, you do not say no.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm back and forth, I'm all over the place.
Speaker 2: I live in the sky, and we're going to give her a beginner's guide to gardening.
Speaker 3: Please help me in welcoming Jamila Jamil.
Speaker 2: We are going to discuss gardening, Jamilla. But first I'm curious about your very interesting career. You had never formally acted when you were auditioned for the Good Place.
Speaker 4: I did, Yes, I did, and I got it.
Speaker 3: I had no.
Speaker 5: I carry the audacity of a straight white man within me, and I go for things that I'm unprepared for, underqualified for, and I think.
Speaker 4: Why not me? And it's not a mentality that I decory in straight white men. I think we need to adopt more of it.
Speaker 5: And I think one of the reasons that I said yes in under fifteen seconds to getting to meet you today, even though I know nothing about gardening, I was like, I'll learn how to garden, okay, is because your audacity, amongst the many other things about you, is the reason you're one of my heroes.
Speaker 2: See you certain you are audacious in the first order, and you've worked with some really, really fantastic actors Ted Danson, fors Bill. How did that experience help you grow as a performer.
Speaker 5: I think learning on the job how to act from Ted Danson is more powerful than any drama school you could ever go to, because he's such a genius. All of them are so talented. But I really studied him and I really just ripped him off. I copied everything he did, and so if you didn't like my performance, that's really on Ted.
Speaker 4: I take no responsibilit but it made an.
Speaker 5: Actor out of me, and it was exciting to jump into something I had no idea how to do and learn that. You know, women are often discouraged from trying new things per chance we fail. And what you get to learn when you throw yourself in unpredictable environments as you're capable of so much more than you ever thought.
Speaker 4: And that's what I learned.
Speaker 5: I became from a bad actor to an above average actor, and that's really exciting.
Speaker 2: You now have your own comedy podcast, Wrong Turns, where you talk about cringe worthy moments. Yes, what is one of your most crims worthy moments?
Speaker 3: Can you?
Speaker 1: Chell us?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Gosh, okay, how raunchy.
Speaker 3: Can I go about a minute?
Speaker 4: Okay, it doesn't really answer the question. But I had to DJ once.
Speaker 5: I used to be a DJ back in the day for ten years when I was cool, and I had to DJ in front of six thousand young farmers.
Speaker 4: Young farmers have a ball because.
Speaker 3: They're were in England, in the north.
Speaker 5: Of England, because they don't get to have weekends because they're out farming.
Speaker 4: I've seen all your phones come up, your bastards.
Speaker 5: And so I had to go on stage. They'd put the decks, the DJ decks, on top of the speakers, which is a wild decision to make because everything's going to jump around. And I learned that I was sensitive to orgasm while standing on these speakers, and I orgasmed in front of six thousand people. But also once you pop like a pringle, you can't stop. So it was about eighteen to twenty times and then I fainted and couldn't pee for twenty four hours.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry, Martha Stewart.
Speaker 5: Of all of the questions that I ever wanted to answer, this is the very least.
Speaker 3: You don't have to be honest, you know, coming.
Speaker 4: From you that is deeply rich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if that wasn't enough, you also have you were playing ambassador quest Yes, Questa in the upcoming Pixar movie Ilio, which was out, which is out on June twentieth. Oh something, what else is happening on June twenty something? Big is happening?
Speaker 4: And I think about my movie.
Speaker 3: Are you having a premiere in New York?
Speaker 5: We are having a premiere in Los Angeles. Yeah, it's me and Zoe Saldana, who I love.
Speaker 2: I love her, soul love Lioness. Have you watched Lionis? Anybody that's that's Zoe? Oh my gosh, she is incredible.
Speaker 4: All right, what my chop liver?
Speaker 3: But no, I know.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that you're so lucky to be both of you to be, and we're so lucky that both of you are in the same movie.
Speaker 3: Are you you as tough as she is?
Speaker 4: I hope I aspire to be as tough as both of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's amazingly I love her. So what is Ilio about?
Speaker 5: Eleo is about a little boy who gets accidentally transported into space and has to convince members and ambassadors of the universe that he is the representative of the And it's all his trial and trials and tribulations, but the ultimate moral of the story is that.
Speaker 4: Anyone can make change.
Speaker 5: In this world, we've grown to look to icons to make change, and we think, oh, you have to have a certain amount of followers or a certain amount of money. But actually, we shouldn't be looking to celebrities. We shouldn't be looking to icons. We shouldn't be looking for singular humans to make change. We should all be making our own micro change and understand our influence and how much more powerful the world would be if we exacted that.
Speaker 2: Do you know what my favorite motto is, no, when you're through changing, you're through.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 4: So it fits your movie, Yeah it does.
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 4: We haven't locked the edit. I might throw that in.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: So you're here at the beautiful new Botanical garden. You mentioned earlier that you're new to gardening. To quote you, I don't have a gardening domestic green thumb or bone in my body.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 2: They were going to tell you that you are garden curious, right, Yes, but I think you're curious about a lot of things, especially about vibrating stages. They say, if you want to be happy for a year. Do you have you heard this little saying? I read it on a stair down at a beautiful garden outside of Baltimore. It's called the LaDue Garden, a beautiful garden of topiary. And then he carved into his garden stairs this very nice little saying. If you want to be happy for a year, take a wife. If you want to be happy for ten years, I know I've changed the ten years to get a dog he has on his if he is on his stare. If you want to be happy for a month, to kill your hog. But it's so I guess he liked ham. But if you want to be happy for life, plant a garden, which is so nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I have to learn about gardening now because I've decided to build a commune.
Speaker 4: It's a cult.
Speaker 5: In the middle of nowhere with all of my funniest friends. I'm looking at places in Europe and it's going to be called Jamilville.
Speaker 4: I'm not a narcissist.
Speaker 5: Calm down, and we're going to be able to farm our own land and create our own gardens and have our own way.
Speaker 3: Right here in Katonic.
Speaker 4: You can come amazing. Okay, Well.
Speaker 3: One and fifty six acres.
Speaker 2: My older friends are asking me to, you know, if they can just move in, and I'm saying no, I would much rather have a bunge of live the younger friends move in. You can all build your little your little ertz or something wherever you want to live in.
Speaker 4: I am that yesterday, maltha, yesterday.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, come on by it. And it's very good.
Speaker 2: We just had all the soil tested on the whole hundred and fifty six acres and the soil has tested immensely good.
Speaker 3: Wow, really good. I mean way higher, way higher than I thought.
Speaker 2: And and it's every single every single we did every ten acres and send the into our Where did we send that The soil test corneill? Yeah, cornill, and it's really good soil. So I think everybody could farm, everybody could build.
Speaker 3: And we have our own We have our own sawmill. You can cut your own boards.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, and bring Zoe Seldana and I have a lot of strong men working on the farm.
Speaker 3: You love all of them.
Speaker 5: They're really.
Speaker 3: Okay, all set.
Speaker 4: This is the best day ever.
Speaker 3: So gardening is truly my outlet.
Speaker 2: I mean I was in the garden this morning running around getting ready to have a big meeting at my farm tomorrow. And and we were looking and looking at everything, making sure everything was pick and span and weeded and edged. And the roads were dragged. You know what dragging a road means. No, so you have a special machine that drags the gravel on the roads.
Speaker 3: I don't have. I don't have paved roads on my property. Okay, I hate baving. So it's a nice It looks like a.
Speaker 4: Giant rake has gone through the soil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, it's gravel.
Speaker 2: It's gravel roads, and it's nice soft gravel for my horse's hoofs.
Speaker 3: We have horses.
Speaker 4: You ride, I don't ride.
Speaker 3: You could learn, I will. You can learn.
Speaker 2: And you could also anything out of cloud the fields with the donkeys. The donkeys would love to work. Yeah, they've been begging to work. So it sounds like a gardening would be perfect for you. I think I was reading about all the incredible things you get to do for move your move for your mind, and tell us about move for your mind.
Speaker 5: I'm just trying to get diet culture out of every area of our lives.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 4: I'm sick of it. I'm done with it. I'm bored.
Speaker 5: Of it, and exercise is something that is pivotal for people's mental health, and they don't do it unless they think of it as something to do for weight loss, whereas moving your body for I think one hundred and fifteen minutes a week is similar to the impacts of an SSRI. And given that we're in a country that doesn't have free healthcare.
Speaker 3: Only one hundred and fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: Only one hundred and fifty minutes, Oh all right.
Speaker 3: More than that, maybe I don't only have maybe I can rest a little bit.
Speaker 4: That's why you're so happy and peaceful.
Speaker 5: But you know, we have a country in a world where these things aren't accessible to people. And then we've also made exercise inaccessible. So I've been creating events around the world that are also around women's safety. Teaching self defense is a form of exercise. So you can kick the living shirt out of someone if you need to.
Speaker 4: That's a good place to wear words. So I'm allowed to say it.
Speaker 5: And where people don't feel like you have to be a certain size, a certain age, a certain level of ability to be able to just move your body joyously. It takes fifteen minutes and nine seconds to get them mental health benefits of exercise, and yet we think of it as this huge ordeal.
Speaker 4: But you have to dress up.
Speaker 5: For and take three hours out of your day, and you don't look at Martha and five hundred minutes a week.
Speaker 3: You know, gardening. Gardening is great exercise. Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 2: Garden a lot and it's And when I was doing those roses the other day, I was out there for four hours. Every single muscle in my body ached, and all my arms were bleeding and my legs were bleeding.
Speaker 4: Sounds amazing.
Speaker 2: It's probably good for you. It's probably great for you. One of my passions. One of my passions, and you would see it if you come and visit. My farm is planting trees, and I like to plant trees from scratch. I get rooted cuttings, little things maybe they're this taller this tall, and they have roots on them. And there are many different kinds of trees, and I think the man who comes and takes care of certain aspects of the trees that I've planted.
Speaker 3: The last count was about sixteen thousand trees, So that's a lot.
Speaker 5: And for your mental health, do you find that that's that I can't meditate and I imagine something like gardening.
Speaker 4: There's a kind of sublimation, meditation to you.
Speaker 3: It really is. I would be in the in if I didn't.
Speaker 4: When you're angry, are you sort of with your rake?
Speaker 3: Just like?
Speaker 2: No, I'm never angry in the garden, right, I'm never angry that would impact the plants.
Speaker 4: This is something I've put.
Speaker 2: You can't be angry to your animals, and you can't be angry to your you know, no matter what the dogs do, no matter I don't get angry at it.
Speaker 5: I heard that plants consents when their caregiver is within something like two hundred yards.
Speaker 3: I think you're right.
Speaker 4: That's so beautiful to me.
Speaker 3: I think you're right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So mine like sort of shrivel away when I'm coming, you know.
Speaker 2: And So I identify with trees, and I have my favorite tree and why I identify most with and we put it on my org chart when we first established my company. I am the beach tree, the mother of all trees. What would you identify with? Sorry, what kind of tree would you want to be?
Speaker 3: If you were a tree?
Speaker 4: Oh, I think a palm tree just completely useless.
Speaker 3: Oh they're not They're not useless.
Speaker 4: Well, they're not great for shake. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: You knows of palm they're very, very voluptuous.
Speaker 4: No, you're right, I misjudged it, but voluptuous.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I think palm trees are beautiful. I have lots of palm trees.
Speaker 4: Okay, fair enough, I take it back.
Speaker 5: I'm very sorry to all palm trees.
Speaker 3: So this is and so what do you want to learn?
Speaker 5: I want to learn about gardening. I want to learn how to create beauty. If I'm going to have Jamilville, I want it to be a beautiful place to be.
Speaker 3: So you need some tools. I need some tools.
Speaker 2: So we're going to bring up a garden bag, and I want to go through the tool bag with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, would you please give that to Jamila and.
Speaker 2: You can go through that and I'll and you tell me what each tool is if you can guess.
Speaker 4: See just that there's a lot of knives.
Speaker 3: Well, let's pick them. You need knives if you're a gardener.
Speaker 4: All right, Let's start with a rake.
Speaker 3: But that's not a rake exactly.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 2: That is a long handled cultivator. So that will loosen the soil around your plants. And you just have to be careful because those prongs are a little long, not to go too deeply.
Speaker 5: Well, anything's a dildo. I feel brave enough, Martha.
Speaker 3: Next tool these.
Speaker 2: But what's nice about that one is that it has a long handle, so you don't have to bend over.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, take that, take that out of its sheath. So do you have one of those?
Speaker 4: I do, But it's sort of more for murder.
Speaker 2: Well, actual use tomato knife, and that was only for slicing tomatoes or for you know, slicing vegetables.
Speaker 3: But I found it.
Speaker 2: Took it out in the garden because I was I was struggling and cutting the leaves off and a gov a govey plant, you know what, look like they're very big and prickly and dangerous. That cuts through agave leaves so perfectly, so you can prune right close to the center of the agave and a clean cut. And that is the best tool for that we have.
Speaker 3: We love that you.
Speaker 2: I gave one to every single person who works in my garden. So you're taking that, okay, I'm taking.
Speaker 4: You cut yourself all the time and get bruised.
Speaker 2: No, no, not not no, what that No? No, these are the rose thorns that cut my arm okay, so no, that was just the whole ster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the whole ster. Okay that you know what those are called.
Speaker 4: These are nail clippers.
Speaker 2: They're like nail clippers, Yeah, they are. Those are little hand pruners or secateurs.
Speaker 4: Okay, great, And these are for roses.
Speaker 2: Nose are for roses or for branch small branches. Don't try to use them on big branches unless you're very strong. But they're they're very nice and every gardener has to have those. And you can carry the little hole stra on your belt.
Speaker 4: Yes I will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, great, ter all for you by the way.
Speaker 4: Amazing. But you know, going through t s A is going to be a treat.
Speaker 2: Get a special suitcase and and and just you know, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a setup.
Speaker 2: Always.
Speaker 3: Selda carries one of those at all times. She plays a special agent.
Speaker 2: In in in her in her series and uh, the Lioness, and she has one of those and she has killed hundreds of people with it.
Speaker 5: But I'm sorry that Zoe's Aldana is not here today, all.
Speaker 2: Right, But but this is called a hory horry. What I'm wearing today, which is called which is also called.
Speaker 5: Dig dig dig i much prefer a hory hory.
Speaker 2: But you see one age serrated serrated.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it's called these measurements on the oh that.
Speaker 2: You can just poke it into the ground and pull back and you have a hole exactly the right depth for the certain sides of bulb that you're planting.
Speaker 4: Are certain seeds and bulbs like dependent on how deep?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, many, absolutely, tulip bulbs and crocus bulbs.
Speaker 3: You have to know how deep.
Speaker 2: They are to be planted, okay and uh, and then you can do that easily with this.
Speaker 3: And you can also scarify.
Speaker 4: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Well, when you're replanting, you take a plant out of the pot. If you ever do that, yes, actually, and the roots are all completely compressed the sides of the pot. Scarification is you draw that serrated edge down the edges the sides of the root.
Speaker 3: Ball and it loosens them up.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 2: It's called scarification. And you can also do it on your own legs and ruin your legs.
Speaker 3: Scar it's scarry.
Speaker 5: Scarification sounds like something that women are currently doing.
Speaker 3: Okay, then, oh, those are good.
Speaker 2: Those are for cutting cutting flowers okay, yeah, or a little you can do little branches with that, but I suggest using that for cutting your beautiful flower blooms. Do you know the difference between a shovel and a spade.
Speaker 4: One is used for when you're burying someone you don't like.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a shovel, right, because you have to dig.
Speaker 4: And a spade is for when you create flowers.
Speaker 3: That you do like. No, that's for edging. Okay, it's nice sharp cuts. Edging, Yes, edging, Yes.
Speaker 2: Come up, my dear. Okay, we didn't quite finish the tool bag. But do you like these tools? Like?
Speaker 4: Okay, you're asking me. I like these tools very much.
Speaker 2: There's another narrow that's a narrower trouble or a little digger. Yeah, yeah, those are good.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, fine, And Jennifer.
Speaker 3: You have all these too, don't you. We do, we do. Indeed, these are all excellent.
Speaker 1: We also I have a couple of other ones. They're not weapons, like, oh good, but things that I think are essential.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it makes it look a bit murdering, you know, with.
Speaker 3: The not they shouldn't be black, but they're they're perfect.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: So, I grew up in the desert, so sun protection, you're right when gardening essential usual And then you know you talked about cutting up your arms.
Speaker 4: Martha.
Speaker 1: I love these sleeves. They won't work for.
Speaker 2: Roses, they're not as good for roses, but they're great in the garden.
Speaker 1: And it's great because it keeps it keeps your fingers free to move and.
Speaker 3: Dig in the dirt.
Speaker 4: Thank you, very sure, thank you.
Speaker 2: If you're gardening, Jamila, what are you going to plant first?
Speaker 3: What you want to plant?
Speaker 6: I mean, if weed were an option, but if not, roses, A big roses. Yeah, I love especially not the red rose, all of the other roses we can give you.
Speaker 3: We're going to give you a Martha rose, but plantt you're gonna die.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm moving in with you. Plant in my rose, yeah, with your with our rises. Martha.
Speaker 1: You love roses so much that, as we've mentioned, one was named for you, the Martha Stewart hybrid t Rose, and as we've mentioned, we have it here at the Botanical Garden.
Speaker 4: What was it that drew you to that particular rose?
Speaker 2: Well, I was given many roses to sniff and to look at and to use in arrangements, and I just what I really liked about it was for of all the color, it's a very beautiful, very sort of a varied pink, and it even veers a little bit in the center towards an orange pink. It's very pretty and uh and it has many many petals. I like the old fashioned roses, the damask roses that are that have if you count the petals, maybe a thousand pedals. So this Martha rose does not have a thousand pedals, but it has a lot and the scin is extraordinary. My friend Danielle out in California at Rose Story Farm sent me from Mother's Day.
Speaker 3: She sent me a big.
Speaker 2: Box of my roses cut flowers, and the whole house just smelled beautifully.
Speaker 3: And my cat sat under the roses. They liked it. And people came in the door and they said, what's that nice smell?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: And I think we have our star rose friends here, star roses are? Where are you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 3: How are you so nice to see? Wait?
Speaker 4: So is this a new breed of rose?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 3: Look how beautiful this is? Oh? Wow, isn't it great? Yeah? It's really beautiful.
Speaker 5: I always wondered when Andre three thousand had that famous lyric. You know, when you lean a little bit closer to a rose, you find that they always smell like pooh, pooh pooh.
Speaker 4: No, I think it's exact words. That's horrible, And this was the exact opposite of that.
Speaker 2: No, these are these are extraordinary, yes, so beautiful, such as not sickly fragrant. Sometimes a rose is sickly fragrant, and they're not these these these are a very very delightful.
Speaker 4: Scent, gorgeous.
Speaker 2: And if you come live live at my farm, we can get Jiggo Dan to come. And they're the perfumers, and they know how to capture the scent of a flower.
Speaker 3: They came one day with all their.
Speaker 2: Glass balls and they put them over the flower and they capture the scent and then the computer reads the scent and then they can make a perfume.
Speaker 4: She's inviting you to visit. But I love that.
Speaker 2: Yes, so so we can we can capture the scent of this rose.
Speaker 3: Did you ever do that here at the garden? You should?
Speaker 4: You should get that.
Speaker 1: We should, we should do that because we have some wonderfully fragrant roses and other flowers too. Absolutely, and we have, uh, we have done that with our peeny collection, actually with Caswo and may see they've captured the scent and we saw it in our shop. It's a beautiful perfume. And your rose garden is so famously gorgeous at Bedford Farm, so I'm interested. How did you design it? Was it by color, by variety?
Speaker 3: How did your Well?
Speaker 2: It started off. I had a great rose garden in East Hampton at my house on the Lily Pond plane, and when I bought the is only an acre property. And when I bought it, I thought, I'm going to plant roses because they grow really well out in East Hampton and with the ocean, the ocean breezes and the mild winters. So I planted about nine hundred roses. I searched the whole country and Canada for old fashioned roses, and I didn't read that one sentence in every single catalog once blooming, because many old roses only bloom once, so that was pretty stupid. And they bloom in June and then they don't bloom again until the next June, so that was a mistake.
Speaker 4: Have you ever a mess of flower that you didn't like?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, who's the one.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm famous for not liking red geraniums, and I don't like the smell of a red geranium. And I don't like the look of a red geranium. And I've never planted a rid geranium. But there are other gas that I like, but not the red germ.
Speaker 4: God, I would hate to be the red gerinum.
Speaker 3: So but but it was.
Speaker 2: But the rose garden, I mean, it takes a lot of maintenance. Uh, and you have to give it. Oh, you have to give it. Did you take baths and EPs and salts? So do you? No?
Speaker 3: Never? Never does. I would have thought you did that.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I don't like to soak in my own filter.
Speaker 3: Oh you wash first, you wash first.
Speaker 4: I've got a job, but I don't have time to do that.
Speaker 2: I feed my plants a lot, and I give them other kinds of nutrients because and working with Miracle Grow.
Speaker 3: They have a whole.
Speaker 2: Bunch of scientists who I'm calling on a regular basis now because I like what they say. Is very important to know what each plant needs and wants, just like humans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've drowned a few plants unfortunately in the last not enough water, too much food, not enough food, the wrong food.
Speaker 3: There's so many things you can have your baby.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people are intimidated by feeding and watering. I understand that you have a clever phrase for how you approach feeding your plants.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: And it's like, did you have a drink today? That's all I ask. They'll say, oh yeah, I'll.
Speaker 2: Order tomorrow, don't worry about it, and then I will not let them have anything else to drink or eat that whole day. If you haven't eaten or you know, and they get they get it, then plants need to eat and drink.
Speaker 3: Also, I sing to my plants.
Speaker 4: Do you have a sing to your plants?
Speaker 2: I'm not a good singer, nor I'm not a hummer either. I don't like I have there were there are people on my farm that hum a lot.
Speaker 4: Do you play music to your Apparently they like jazz?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Oh okay, I actually don't like jazz. I don't like it. I don't like sending to jazz.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's fat.
Speaker 3: My chiropractor plays jazz and I hate it.
Speaker 1: No jazz. And how do you prepare your soil for well, as I said, we just had the soil tested.
Speaker 3: We use a lot of homemade composts.
Speaker 2: We use a lot of there's this stuff in a bag called miracle rope, organic raised beds soil, and we've been using that.
Speaker 3: I started a new vegetable garden last.
Speaker 2: Year and we filled all the raised beds or how many raise beds are there? Fifty fifty raised beds and they're quite large. One of them is like twenty feet long and thirty feet long and they're big beds. And we filled it with the raised beds soil, and oh my gosh, I never had better vegetables in my life. And you know, it's a combination of raising the beds, spacing your plants correctly, feeding them correctly, and you learn, you and you ask. I ask so many questions all the time, and they're not questions like did you water or feed it? So what do you water and what do you feed for each kind of plant? And it's very important to do that, to learn as much as you can. If you're an aspiring gardener or a you know, like a middle middle gardener or an advanced gardener, you really have to continually learn. Right now, I'm having trouble with my citrus trees and I don't know why, but we're trying to figure that out. I have a whole greenhouse just devoted to citrus, so you don't have to buy your own lemons or orange. If you come live on the phone, I won't. You can just pick them and they're so good. There's a taste so much better than the Once.
Speaker 5: You buy, it completely changes your life eat eating fresh, healthy food. I think that, you know, the United States has got some tricky problems with the quality of the food that we eat.
Speaker 4: And when you go to.
Speaker 5: Europe and you buy into the fruit and the veget setables, it's a completely new experience. It's amazing that you can because I think people feel a bit hopeless. You know, there's only something like fifty two years of arable land left on mass in the United States. I like to bring the lolls and that will lead to like, you know, food and security, et cetera. So I think people don't bother to make the change that needs to be made. And yet here you are with hundreds of acres of completely arable, restorable.
Speaker 3: Soil.
Speaker 5: I have it, but it's possible, you know, It's just it takes diligence and care.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 2: I have a vegetable greenhouse from which we eat all winter long, so I grow my own vegetables. I make a delicious green juice every morning out of the things that we grow, the spinach and the parsley, and.
Speaker 3: Now cucumbers we finally got.
Speaker 2: We've got five cucumbers the other day, newly planted. I'm so happy about that. They're so good in the green juice and celery. So those are the kinds of things that I think are extremely important for all of us. Are to increase longevity. And you talk about mental health a lot, and our mental health and our acuity and are just our energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to teach children. We have a place here in the garden called the edible a cat.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: And it's a wonderful yes, thank you. It's a wonderful vegetable environment. And what's so incredible about it is that the kids that come in to work in the garden, you see them pull a carrot out of the ground and you can see in real time them making that connection between what they're doing and the food they eat and feeling a more ownership and connection to its.
Speaker 5: Real totally, and I think we're the most disconnected that we've ever been.
Speaker 4: And practices like this.
Speaker 5: And actually, you know, you know, one of the things that I think makes people quite lax when it comes to looking after the environment, is spending no time connecting with it, and so there's such an importance I think, to actually immersing yourself in it and kind of becoming one with it so that you can tangibly understand. You can't download empathy into someone else's mind. It kind of it's grown through experience.
Speaker 3: We have one apartment before you move to my farm.
Speaker 2: No, you have to take the course here at the New York the Channical.
Speaker 4: I will with the children.
Speaker 3: You can start there.
Speaker 2: But they have a very good program of an educational program here. And we have one of your graduates working at the farm now, wonderful.
Speaker 3: He's so nice and he lives nearby.
Speaker 2: And he's such a very avid gardener and very energetic, and he learns a lot here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a full range of programs from the School of Professional Horticulture, which I think he came from, which is for people who are entering the profession, to people who are more casual learners who just want to learn how to garden better in their backyards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so great that you offer those kinds of programs because we need it.
Speaker 3: The world needs it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I need it.
Speaker 3: So who thinks that Jamila is ready for a garden?
Speaker 5: You lie, you filthy liars.
Speaker 3: So you're gonna see, I'm going to give you this rose, but what are you going to do with it? You don't have a garden yet.
Speaker 4: I don't have a garden yet, But you know what, I'm going to go.
Speaker 5: And buy a plot of land today and I'm going to start all.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, please, and thank you so much for coming to the show and taking.
Speaker 3: Time out of your very busy schedule.
Speaker 5: I've literally never said yes to anything faster than I said yes.
Speaker 2: I am thrilled that you did that, and I'm very excited to see your new show and to listen to your podcast.
Speaker 4: Sure, I mean it is unbelievably filthy.
Speaker 5: The story I told at the beginning of this is just the tip of the iceberg of what you're going to hear. Do not listen to it with your children. Definitely listen to it while gardening. Maybe play it to your plants and see what.
Speaker 2: Happens and and be dead the next sporting.
Speaker 1: We also have a podcast here at NYBG you called Plant People, and we don't have those kinds of stories. So if you just want to sort of yeah, but my launches.
Speaker 2: Today Comedians, Wrong Turns, that's Jamila's Podcasts.
Speaker 4: With Jamina Jamil and it's wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: And I cannot wait for Ilio. I cannot wait.
Speaker 2: And thank you so much Jennifer Bernstein for letting us have this wonderful podcast live at the New York Botanical Gardener.
Speaker 3: And thanks Miracle Bro.
Speaker 4: I'm Martha, Martha.
Speaker 5: I would be remiss to not just say thank you so much for the example you have set for specifically women everywhere outside of what a domestic goddess you are. Your resilience and your audacity and the way you speak your mind has been something you have forced into culture and paved away for the women like me.
Speaker 3: So thank you, and
Speaker 2: Thanks all of you for coming here today and until our next podcast, go out into your garden and wed sweedy time now