Speaker 1: Welcome back to Is this a great Gamer? What with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshin. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshon. Another episode of our show, Dad, And this weekend is going to be a crazy one. The trade deadline is coming up on Monday. We're gonna have a very special interview on Monday. We have former general manager Jim Boden's going to join us on Monday morning, so a little bit of shake up from the show. Instead of having him the day after the trade deadline, we'll have him on the trade deadline to talk about his favorite GM stories and moments and so.
Speaker 2: Much great perspective from him. Dad, Hi, how are you good?
Speaker 3: Jeff? So hope Jim Boden is going to put you in the room when trades are being made on trade deadline Monday, like we're gonna see. And then the Tuesday show, which is usually our interview show, that is going to be a recap of the trade deadline, So Jim Bowden on Monday. The regular Monday show will run on Tuesday. And speaking of Tuesday, Jeb, thanks again to Jason Bennetti. How funny was that guy that was so good last week?
Speaker 2: Dad? It was so much fun.
Speaker 1: He is such a for lack of a better term, softball guest.
Speaker 2: He is so easy and I.
Speaker 1: Want to shout out friend of the show Matt Friedman, who's been a listener since day one. A Syracuse graduate as well. He said he took a picture of his screen. He was listening to the Jason Bennetti episode, he said, listening in traffic at the intersection where Chad Smith said his dad got the ice cream containers that became his first drums. He shouted out the intersection on the local podcast True Story, How cool is that? So he's listening. We talked about him, We talked about yellow card. Who would have thought that came up? And then get this, dad, we have yellow car to come out of nowhere. And we had somebody over at our house on Monday, a friend of ours.
Speaker 2: She brought her two kids. Her name's Heather.
Speaker 1: She's absolutely a fantastic mom.
Speaker 2: We go to the gym with.
Speaker 1: Her and she said, yeah, you know, we're going through our schedules. I said, what are you doing that weekend? You got Oh, I can't go. We're going to a CEA yellow card.
Speaker 2: I'm not cidreous. I swear I said, how is yellow card coming up this often at this time of my life? But it was so funny.
Speaker 1: Jason was so good.
Speaker 2: Dad so funny, right right?
Speaker 3: And Jeff, speaking of people weighing in, last week, we talked about because Mike Sure, the commissioner of is this a great game or why, brought up the notion that when Raphael Devers hit an automatic double that bounced over the fence and ended the game, it should not be a walk off single because the bases were loaded and one RBI it should be a walk off double and two RBIs. And we threw this out there and the response we got, Jeff, from our really smart, clever, sophisticated listeners and viewers was tremendous. Jeff, you saw all that stuff. How many people weighed in on what that rule should be, what is right, what is wrong? It was amazing, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people are trying to argue that they should be the commissioner ass this is a great game or what.
Speaker 2: But the point is it was a very.
Speaker 1: Good conversation to be had amongst baseball fans and Dad listen, like if any of our wives knew that we were debating this. They would say, what's the difference, and we would say it is a big difference because this game has been around forever and the fact that that wasn't two runs. I made the argument too, Dad, a home run, a grand slam, when you're only down by one, you win by three. An automatic double, the ball also leaves the park. You should get it bounced before it left the park, and that's the flip side. But true, Jeff, Jeff, did it leave the park before the run skilled or what? Yeah, these are all the details that make this game so fun to debate.
Speaker 3: Right and again, Jeff's people mentioned if it's called an automatic double, then how can it be a single, because if it bounces over and it's an automatic double, it should be it should be two RBIs. So again, I was just really pleased with how involved and engaged our listeners and viewers were on that and the other thing, Jeff. We talked about the immaculate inning last week that Gavin Williams had for the Guardians, and people are asked a bunch of really smart questions like what exactly is an immaculate inning. We decided you can have five foul balls during those nine pitches that you throw as long as you face three batters, you strike them out on nine pitches. But somebody asked, what happens if one of the strikes is a you know, a pitch clock violation. What about that? Well, that's still an automatic strike and you still get credit for an immaculate inning.
Speaker 1: If that happens, what about then it's a drop, third drop, third strike? Runner gets thrown out at first? Is that still an immaculate I mean, I know, it's still strikeout.
Speaker 2: I'm not discrediting.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and Jeff when you know, also, just to clarify for everyone, if you strike somebody out on a and with a pitch pitch clock violation, so it's a strike, the pitcher gets credit for throwing the ball. There, that is a pitch thrown even though he didn't throw the pitch because the hitter was not engaged with the pitcher with eight seconds ago. So that's another little thing that nobody asked about and probably nobody cares about except for the people on the show. So, Jeff I was also taken that a couple of our listeners and viewers said, we need a name for something that's even more amazing than an immaculate inning. Well, maybe not more amazing, but three pitches, three batters, three outs. So you a pitcher pitches an inning, he faces three batters, he throws one pitch to all three batters, and gets out of the inning in three pitches. First off, we need a name for that, Jeff. And someone asked, like, how unusual is that? Well, it happened twice last year. Adrian Hauser and Garrett Hampson both had a three pitch inning in which they started the inning, faced three batters and were out of the inning in three pitches. Do you understand the distinction, Jeff? In other words, why I explained it properly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely think.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's extremely rare, obviously, within I don't think it's as impressive as an immaculate inning. No, it's definitely not because you're throwing three First of all, to throw three strikes at the speed people are throwing the ball.
Speaker 2: At these days can be difficult.
Speaker 1: It's more it's similar to that Dad, in my opinion, to the triple play, the unassisted triple play. Excuse me, where it's like kind of it's impressive, yes, but it's more of like a lot of things have to happen, and it's kind of quirky in a way, right, or even to the point where you make an argument about you know.
Speaker 2: The cycle. Yes, it is the cycle.
Speaker 1: Impressive you got four hits in a game at a minimum, but like once, you rather have four homers. It's not the greatest thing you could do out there, right, So I know you're not discrediting a cycle. You're not discrediting a three pitch inning. But yeah, I mean, what we need to do, Dad, here's what we need to do. We need to get Frank from the Alias to tell us what pitcher did this the most amount of occurrences.
Speaker 3: Well, I talked to Frank this morning about this, and I wasn't about because you can only go back so far when it comes to pitch counts. But I was intrigued that one of our listeners said, we need a name for three up, three down on three pitches. So let me give you my thought process, Jeff. First off, it has to be named after a pitcher like a Maddox is a shutout thrown in under one hundred pitches because he was so efficient, all right, So we need the name of a pitcher, right, and we need the pitcher needs to wear the number thirty three because three outs, three pitches. So I went looking for the pitchers who wore number thirty three and might have a connection. So I found Johnny sayin sai n. Johnny Sayinne was a star for the nineteen forty eight Boston Braves. He won twenty games like three different times. He also went on to become one of the great pitching coaches ever, a guy who understood the art of pitching about as well as anybody. So I think we should call that three pitches, three batter's face, three outs in one inning. I think we should call it a sane What do you think?
Speaker 2: I think that's insane?
Speaker 3: Did he right?
Speaker 1: I mean it kind of works in that way, right.
Speaker 3: But Jef, it has two meanings. How sane is it to throw three pitches and get out of the inning? Yeah, that's what everyone. That's what Greg Maddocks and Tom Glavin used to root for. Throw three pitches. Then I could throw, you know, one hundred more in the game and still be around because I only threw three in one inning. So from now on, I'm gonna call it if I ever see it again, because we haven't seen one this year. I'm gonna call it a sane okay.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm here for it, Dad.
Speaker 1: I mean, we'll see what people have to say. Now, I know a lot of people, Dad, are curious how they can be a part of the family and reach out. Here's how you do it, Great gamer dot com. Every time my dad talks about well, we got all these messages, it's just one step away for you to be a part of that community Great gamer dot com. Scroll all the way down on our website, you'll find a little box that says reach out to us, contact us. And Dad responds to all those messages and it really means a lot hearing from you. And while you're at it, click on the YouTube link there on the website and subscribe because we're growing that audience and follow us at great gamer. What on all social medias that our videos have been so much fun. Alphabets has been a hit on our Instagram account.
Speaker 2: I have to say it's been really.
Speaker 3: It might not be a hit. It might not be a hit after today, Jeff, because I will tell you in advance, the alphabet with the letters might have been the hardest one that I've ever had to do, and I had to make a decision. We'll get to that later, but it no, it was it. It was the most difficult decision that I've had to make.
Speaker 1: I think, Oh, and is this considering all decisions in your life or simply baseball alpha best related.
Speaker 3: Ones just alpha best related and we're only up to s. But it was hard, it was really difficult.
Speaker 4: Big second half of the season coming up. There might be a hot ticket, a rivalry series, a sold out experience they need to get your hands on, and Sea Geek is the spot for that. You can find good, good pricing. They help you with the pricing green dot good, red dot not as good. And they help you with your view of the seat for some big matchups coming up in August, September and eventually leading up to playoffs.
Speaker 5: Why would you not use sekk if you want a view from your seat. You want to know if it's a good seat, if it's a good deal. It has all of it on the app.
Speaker 3: It's easy to use. It's one click boom.
Speaker 5: You buy the tickets, they send them right to you, get them on the app, and then you can go check out whatever game, whatever you're a fan of. If you can go to whether it's baseball, whether it's concerts, whatever you're into and find a ticket and you can always try to find the green dot on sek.
Speaker 4: And for MLB tickets you can get ten percent off with that promo code. Were running all season long Territory one zero. That's territory ten off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your accounts so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: All right, dad, let's jump into the takeaways brought to you by Baseball America. They're the best place to learn about all the prospects on the move this trade deadline season. Now through Monday, all viewers will get thirty percent off the first year of any digital annual subscription with promo code great Game thirty. That's Great Game thirty at Baseballamerica dot com. I mean, what a great site for members of the family and what a great deal for them, especially when it comes to this trade deadline coming.
Speaker 3: Up, right, and given that promo, we have to start with the trade deadline. I take to throw names out there because of the way things change and when we have to, you know, go in advance because of deadlines and everything else. I'm just going to say the trade deadline, I think it's going to be fantastic. I think there's going to be a lot of movement. I think it's going to be really interesting. And just think for a second, if this works out. The Blue Jays, who came one win away from winning the World Series last year, it's possible. I'm not saying it's going to happen. It's possible that they will be sellers at the deadline instead of buyers at the deadline. Now, what are the chances of that? So you know, they have some expiring contracts, Kevin Gossman, who could really help somebody, Dalton Varshow who could really help somebody. But they could really help the Blue Jays. But isn't it interesting that maybe the blue Jays are going to sell, whereas maybe now the Nationals and the Pirates are going to buy. When at the beginning of the season you would have never guessed that those possibilities were possible. But this is what changes with baseball every single day, and at the trade deadline time, things change by the hour. It's a fascinating thing.
Speaker 1: You agree with that, Dad, I mean, we're gonna get a lot more insight from Jim Boden. We just recorded the episode with him, So Monday morning again, Jim Boden joining us.
Speaker 2: Former general manager.
Speaker 1: It's gonna take us inside the office of a general manager and of a team of what that's like. But Dad, is this not the most exciting, most chaotic time of the year. And with the addition, I want a little perspective, just a tiny bit from you, With the addition of the more wildcard spots. I mean, I grew up in the era of four teams per league and now I mean, and it wasn't always that way. I understand that, but now I mean everybody could be a buyer. If you're five hundred or a game or two under, you're a buyer.
Speaker 3: Jeff I just in PTI the other day and Tony Corneiser asked me, Tim, twenty one out of the thirty teams have a chance to make the playoffs, which is great for baseball. When almost seventy When seventy percent of the teams have a chance to make the playoffs on July the twenty eighth, that's a really good thing. So yeah, and I think the extra playoff round, I mean extra playoff team. Sure, that makes a difference, especially in the American League. You get into the playoffs, you have a chance to go deep into the playoffs, especially in the American League. So the trade deadline is going to be fascinating. Can't wait till Monday. Wait you listen to Jim Bowden and him tell all of his stories about Ken Griffy Junior and trades that fell apart and trades that came together. It was fascinating. All right, Jeff, we can't do any takeaways without Jacob Mizerowski, who's now back to form, it seems, after having a bit of a dead arm period. Dead arm for him means he was only throwing ninety nine miles an hour. But the other day, Jeb, he became the first pitcher since nineteen sixty one. That's as far back as we could go to be accurate about it, to go four innings into a game, after four innings, no hits allowed, an eleven strikeouts, Jeff, that was, Jeff, that was sixty five years ago, was what Jacob Mazerowski did. I mean, it's just amazing to me. Are you as amazed as I am? That he does this like every week he has a note that hasn't ever been done.
Speaker 1: Let me just say, Dad, I am so blessed that I logged into your MLB account on all of my TVs so I can watch him in the first inning of any game I want. It has been so so thank you for letting me steal your password, but it has been so fascinating to see him.
Speaker 2: And can I just say, I.
Speaker 1: Mean no disrespect by this.
Speaker 2: But when you look at him, he's not this.
Speaker 1: Strapping buff guy.
Speaker 2: This is the beauty of baseball.
Speaker 1: His arms are in at least his four arms, I should say. But that's the point is anybody can pitch, no matter your body type. I mean, look at him versus Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, all these other different body types. Dad can do this, our oldest chapman who it spans across physical bodies to be able to throw a pitch like that.
Speaker 2: It's it's so incredible watching.
Speaker 3: And again, Jeff, he's six'. Seven he has extension that others. Don't As i've told you multiple, times that armslot is a little bit lower than most. Pitchers hitters can't see it coming out of that arm. Slot that deception really. Works for, him he's. AMAZING a couple other. Things First, Off Max munsey hit his one hundred and thirtieth home run At Dodger, stadium and so that Ties eric carras for the most homers ever hit by A, dodger of course At Dodger. Stadium Max, munsey who is working out with his high school team years ago when he got released by The a's because he was a four to a player who didn't have a, position and he's turned himself into this, really really good power hitter for The, dodgers and his next homer will give him more homers At Dodger stadium than anyone since the club moved there in nineteen fifty. Eight it's just amazing to.
Speaker 2: Me so what an incredible story he.
Speaker 1: IS i love following his story given the comeback right.
Speaker 3: RIGHT i had a couple other. Things The, Angels, jeff who are really. Struggling of, course they just lost their ninth game this year in which they led entering the ninth, inning and that is the most games that any team has ever lost entering the ninth inning before the month Of august in the history of. Baseball And Jordan, ramato who used to be their closer this. YEAR i believe still is their save leader this year and he hasn't pitched for them since Since, april and now he's tied for the save leader with The Colorado, rockies his second. Team so it just shows you when you have a bad bullpen and you can't hold a ninth inning, lead that's how you end up with the worst of not one of the worst records in. Baseball Poor angels and the Poor. Marlins, Finally jeff ended their twelve game losing streak and they did it with three runs in the bottom of the, ninth so they became the first team since the two thousand and Two rays to break a twelve game losing streak going into the ninth inning down by two. Runs so it just shows you when you lose twelve in a, row it's a good chance you're gonna lose thirteen in a. Row but the last team to do what The marlins did the other night was The. Rays and by the, Way, jeff this is an OMEN i guess The marlins are the one hundred and fortieth team now to lose twelve games in a, row, right and The mets also did it this, year so two teams have done it this. Year of the previous one thirty eight before this, year none of those one thirty eight has ever gone on to make the playoffs with twelve consecutive. Loss so, look in other, words they can make history if they make the playoffs this. Year pretty.
Speaker 1: Cool you, know their game as of recording is their third game of the series with The, phillies but they already took two out of three from The, phillies and SO i mean they could be changing it. Around this has been a strange. Season and, again as we, Said, dad the field is wide. OPEN i heard a guys say on social media thirty three out of the thirty teams might be buyers this. Year that's just how especially when you talk about THE Al central in The American, league is wide open for people to be playing and doing. SO i, mean if you're A marlins fan out, there do not count this team. Out do not count anybody. Out if you're still floating around five. Hundred this is an excite, season.
Speaker 3: Right it's good for, baseball even though teams that are under five hundred are still in. It it's good for baseball that you go to the ballpark thinking we have a chance to make the, playoff maybe an outside, chance but we have a chance And.
Speaker 1: November remember most importantly that it's all about just getting To, october.
Speaker 2: Right this is my favorite part of the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Is sometimes the best teams win The World series because they just got hot at the right. Moment it isn't always about it's just let's get to one sixty. Two let's add another series to our, roster and then maybe we can make a run for.
Speaker 2: It you never.
Speaker 1: Know our takeaways are brought to you By Baseball, america the best place to learn about all prospects on the move this trade deadline. Season now Through, monday our viewers are going to get thirty percent off the first year of any digital annual.
Speaker 2: Subscription with promo code Great game.
Speaker 1: Thirty That's Great game thirty At baseballamerica dot com and. Dad speaking of the trade, deadline we want to give a shout out to our friends at Foul territory and their.
Speaker 2: Show they've got something special.
Speaker 6: Plan there is one place to be on trade deadline day watching Foul. Territory of, course Aj, Perdinski Aeric, kratz And Scott braun will be live all afternoon speaking with insiders reading tea leaves and reacting to unfolding deadline. Drama join us on THE ft YouTube channel at one PM et and stay locked in through the six pm deadline Next, Monday Foul Territory. Network it's baseball the way it should be.
Speaker 1: Covered and of course On, monday we're joined By Jim, bowden who will give us an insight into. That we got the Quirk gins coming up. Next all, right, dad let's hear the quark gins from you here.
Speaker 2: On is this a great game or?
Speaker 3: What all? Right So Tommy white of The a's had his second four hit game this, season and he's only played ten games in his major league, Career so in his first ten games in the major, leagues he's got two four hit games and the rest of The a's have one four hit game By Carlos cortes all. Year so he's been there ten days and he's got more four hit games than the rest of of the team. Combined is that? Amazing that's.
Speaker 1: Incredible that's a, good good, start good?
Speaker 3: Start? Alright all, right speaking of a good, Start Eduardo, valencia backup catcher for The, tigers who's no longer a backup catcher for The, tigers he is the first player ever to hit five hundred and hit four home runs in his first seven major league. Games so he comes up for his first. Seven he's hitting over five hundred with four homers in his first seven. Games so it's unbelievable how productive he's been when he just got to the big. Leagues and by the, Way Jeb On, tuesday The tigers scored in all all eight innings that they, Batted so remember The royals did that this year, Also so we had two teams do it in like a three week. Span and the last time any team scored in all eight or all nine innings was the twenty Sixteen White, sox so we didn't have any for ten, years and then we had two teams do it in three. Weeks pretty, cool? Huh pretty?
Speaker 2: Neat?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Absolutely and go look at That tigers box. SCORE i don't know if two three one is an area, code but it looks a lot like a phone number to. Me and it wasn't the only phone number out, there that's for.
Speaker 1: Sure let me do a Quick google search, here two three to one is, well it's northwestern and western Central.
Speaker 3: Michigan really, yeah and The, tigers The, tigers they Played michigan.
Speaker 2: Two three, one? Right is that what you said?
Speaker 3: There it? Is oh my, gosh we love it when we find out this. STUFF i should have checked them, myself all, Right, jeff love it, right all? Right Shane. Bieber, really you, know Former Cy young, winner guy who's usually got good, control walked six batters in the first inning the other, day six in the first. Inning the last pitcher to do that Was Daniel, cabrera who's that big if you remember that big six' nine guy who threw, really hard had electric stuff but didn't know what to do. With it by, The Way daniel cabrera is also The guy jeff as a hitter he struck out in his first seventeen at bats in the. Major, leagues look he didn't even pretend to be a, good hitter but over seventeen. Seventeen strikeouts then he hit a ground ball to the first baseman and then is next to bat, he walked which is. Just incredible first, of all how do you walk a guy who's, six,' nine right and how do you walk a guy who's over eighteen, was Seventeen Strikeouts but hayden. Penn walked him i'm sure he looks back at, THAT and goes.
Speaker 2: I don't know. How, that, Happened yeah.
Speaker 3: Right and, Our, last one jeff is our box score line. Of The week jacob Young of the nationals the other day, batted three times walked, all three times so he had zero. Official at baths he, scored a run, had no, hits of course and drove. In two runs so, His batting line jeff, is zero. One zero two and again devouring the BOX scores like i do every morning with great glee and with a great diet mountain do these things just leap? Off THE page so i Had to call, frank and say when's the last time we had, a zero One Zero two zach, Cozart twenty eighteen so it was eight years ago that anyone had the same Batting Line that. JACOB young had i think you might have had one of, Those, batting lines jeff that day that you played In, the doubleheader ridgeview when you were like. ELEVEN years old i think you walked five times. In a game i'm pretty sure the bases were loaded. AT least once i know you. SCORED a run i know might have had, a zero.
Speaker 1: One zero two my greatest accomplishment in my baseball career was walking with the bases loaded to.
Speaker 2: WIN a game i had a.
Speaker 1: Walk, off walk.
Speaker 2: Yeah one time.
Speaker 1: There you go and the fact that that's my biggest accomplishment speaks volumes to. My baseball, Career, all right dad on this date, in baseball history what do?
Speaker 3: You, have got yeah, Nineteen fifty nine willie McCovey made his. Major league Debut hall of Fame first, Baseman willie McCovey and in his, major league debut he went four to four, with two triples both of Them Off, of robin Roberts who's A hall. Of fame pitcher So that's How willy made, that's how Right that's how willy McCovey made his major league debut on this date in. Nineteen fifty nine this. Is sad jet but on this date In. Nineteen, eighty jr richard who was just an over houring Pitcher For the houston, astro six' eight had a slider that nobody could hit through really hard as intimidating A right Handed pitchers i. Think i've ever seen he had a stroke that day and never pitched again. In the major leagues and. This is equally awful but eleven years, Later To, the day jeff gray, another major league pitcher. He suffered a stroke, what, are the chances yes to the day two guys suffered eleven years later. On the same day, that is, so weird all right off? And up? Of that, All Right twenty seventeen adrian beltray got. Hit Number, three THOUSAND noticed jeff how i say hit number three thousand instead of his three thousands OF the hit because i can't put. That thh very easily it's like, you and what brewery don't.
Speaker 1: Even bring it Up We were at ironhill brewery, for a live show AND the whole time i wanted to, be anywhere but there even though they were, the best hosts ever they Were. So great, in philadelphia But yeah right with adrian, is a.
Speaker 3: Tough, One right right yes and he Of course Is. A hall of famer he had the most home runs ever by anyone who never hit A Home. Run ON opening day and. I bring this up I'm not sure why i'm so. Tickled by these things but he never wore a cup playing third base in. His MAJOR league career and i said to a madri how is that possible that you? Did wear a?
Speaker 7: Cup especially, played, third he goes well that's. What these are for he put.
Speaker 3: Up, his hands like wow that's that's called, Trusted, YOUR hands there, jeff i, gotta say all right we have a. Couple of birthdays here. Jeff Nineteen thirty four Bud Selig, was born bud celg former commissioner and of course Former Owner. Of the, Milwaukee Brewers and look Bud selig's In. THE hall of fame i, Can. Tell you this jeff IN all the, Years i covered baseball i've never seen an owner come into the box the pres and, talked to the writers. Including the visiting writers we All Got to know bud sealing pretty darn well for my ten years on the beat at a newspaper because, every Time my teams The, rangers of The, Orioles Went to milwaukee bud selig always came in and talked. To the visiting. Writers it was amazing. He knew our names and he wasn't doing. That to curry favor he just did it. Because he loved baseball so you could say Whatever You, want about bud ceiling but. He loved the game he. Still loves the Game Happy, birthday to bud ceiling And Happy, birthday to doug raider who was born on this date. In nineteen forty four he was The manager of the rangers in nineteen. Eighty THREE and beyond when i covered The Team For, The Dallas morning news doug rader taught me an. Awful lot about baseball he's one Of the smartest people i've ever met wearing. A major league uniform he, was incredibly well read, he was incredibly sophisticated and yet he. Was A complete lunatic and i mean. That as a compliment He once told me, jeff BY the way and i always got a, kick out. OF this he said i thought. This was, very descriptive you know he was a five time goal glove. Winner at, third base he said playing third base is. Like recovering a fumble that's how he. Described playing third base does that? SOUND right, To you i mean paul, Hits off your chest paull gets. You in a hurry you gotta fall down, to make the play, you gotta charge it you. Got to backhand it, very Underrated Position defensively and doug rader likened it. To recovering a fumble?
Speaker 2: DO you like that i think that's a beautiful. Way of describing.
Speaker 3: It, that's perfect Right, ALSO on those rangers i, covered for one year, Maybe, just one spring yeah For One, year only ellis valentine who's one of The greatest throwing. Outfielders I'VE ever seen and I Had never met ellis valentine until He came TO the rangers and i got to talk. To him one day, He looked at me, i'll never, FORGET this he goes i got more ten in my pinky finger than most players have. In Their entire body. And i'm. Disputing that of course he, was, a really big strong fast guy who could really throw as well As almost any. Outfielder I'VE ever seen but i thought that was a Really Honest thing that ellis. Valentine had to say and, One Of, my Favorites tom, pagnazi former cardinals catcher was born on this date. In nineteen Sixty two so during mark McGuire's heyday, As A, Power Hitter tom pagnazi david howard Who was on the cardinals At The time with Tom pagnazi, And With mark McGuire david howard was a, kind of a slight little middle infielder and he was going into The Weight room and tom pagnazi stopped him before he went into the, Weight, room and said david. Don't go in there McGuire is. In there lifting weights. You might get hurt. You need to stay he Was Poking, fun at david howard but he was also acknowledging how Big and how, strong mark McGuire was, how often he lifted and. How much he lifted so that those are this date In baseball history, For July. The thirtieth.
Speaker 1: Alpha best we're, onto a new letter and this. ONE'S a tough one i know you have been dreading a pitcher and a position player. With the last names you need to pick the best for both with.
Speaker 2: Our alphabet, This, Week.
Speaker 3: All right well I'm Going to Take mike schmid and i'm going To Pick. Him, over tris's speaker now Just A. Word about, tris speaker first off. He's a double UNIQUE as, Far as I know triss and speaker are the no one's Had a first named tris and no one's Had, A last name speaker so that puts him on a. Pretty pretty cool list he also had Three forty five lifetime he had a nine. To twenty eight ops he Had a war which, i'm not big on but one, hundred and thirty six which is exceptionally high at The most doubles in major league, history seven ninety two and he had. Six unassisted double. Plays as an outfielder he's one of the five greatest center. Fielders OF all time and i didn't put him AS my s and i, Feel Terrible about that but I'm Gonna. Go With mike schmidt mike, schmidt won three MVPs He made, Twelve all star teams he won. Eight home run Titles He. Won ten, gold gloves you know it's like a five man group of people who have hit as many home runs it as him and. Won Ten goal gloves So i'm Going With. Schmidty OVER tris speaker am i? Still, In the family jeff you're.
Speaker 1: ABSOLUTELY in the family i think you've done a good job at. A very, Hard Task this morning dad on ninety TWO, To five x, tu philadelphia's COUNTRY station the station i Work for, in the philly area we Play a Game Called. Minute to win it, one of the questions it's a bunch of trivia questions, all over the map ten questions to, get them all right you win. A, thousand, dollars right well today one of the ten questions was what player holds the record for the most home runs hit, In a single, season and without, Hesitation The. Contestant said mike schmidt if That's not the Most philadelphia caller, RESPONSE i've ever heard i don't know what, is obviously not right but amazing.
Speaker 2: That that was the first thing that came.
Speaker 3: Out, Of, Their Mouth right well mike schmid is the greatest third. Basement of ALL time that's, why i chose him and All, apologies to trust speaker because he, was an amazing player and just because he played over. ONE hundred years ago i don't Care that, stuff still matt TODAY and probably statistically i Should Have, gone With tris speaker But I'm. Going with mike schmidt i'm. Gonna live with it as, hard as that was the, Pitcher. Is, Even harder jeff Now i'm going With Tom, Sever OVER warren spond and i can't even begin to tell you how much THAT hurts me because i grew Up To stories about warren. Spond from. My Dad your grandfather warren spahn won three hundred, and sixty three games most ever by. A left handed Pitcher He Made, seventeen all star games had, thirteen twenty, win seasons, and he's you know maybe the most durable. Pitcher of all time pitched in relief, occasionally during a season never missed a start through, batting practice in between and had almost As many complete games jeff after He Turned, forty as kurt schilling who's a warrior during his time as far, as being a workhorse had. In his Entire career that's. Who warren spawn was so let's make sure Anyone Who votes for warren. SPINDIER no argument here i have to make, a REALLY difficult choice And I. Went With tom sever tom, SEVER won three MVPs i. Mean three cy youngs he's. The best met Ever he won The. Rookie of the Year He made, Twelve. All star games jeff he won three, hundred and eleven games had a TWO, point eighty six era and, struck out three thousand six. Hundred, and forty batters now this is a this is, A, quiz for you jeff and you are off the show if. You get it wrong only One Other pitcher in major league history has won at, least three hundred games struck out at least, thirty five hundred BATTERS and had. An era under three only One Pitcher other than tom? Seaver ever did? That who? Is It?
Speaker 2: Give ME walter johnson.
Speaker 3: Did I ever tell You I Went To? Walter, johnson high School. Yeah that was jeff i'm so. Glad YOU got it tom c is. The GREATEST met, Ever As i said and i'm going to. TELL this quick story i had, dinner one, Night With, among Others Dick shaff and dick shaff. Tells This, Amazing Story dick shapp jeremy shapp's dad used to say that HE collected people, Like. I collect stories, jeff he collected people is. How he put it so one night he gets a bunch of his sportswriter friends and they all. Go out to dinner and, also included in dinner and this, is like late Sixties Early seventies Is muhammad. Ali and tom sever they are invited to dinner with these Sports Writers. And with, dick, Shaff All right now muhammad ali was a, very very intelligent man but apparently not the. Biggest baseball fan ever so about three quarters of them, Time Through the night Muhammad Ali looks at, tom seaver and says what newspaper? Do you work for.
Speaker 7: So He THOUGHT he thought tom c was just one of the sports writers who was there Along With the great Dick Shapp and with Muhammad, ali and de seemer, to his eternal credit kind of laughed, out loud, AND said you know i Pitched for the bat so that was that was greatly only with when you go Out To, dinner with dick shapp are you going to get? A, Story, LIKE.
Speaker 1: That well dad i want to take A quick minute because i got a package today from a. Member of the Family His name is Peter, Burr, out of cincinnati ohio and he sent me a really really. Cool umpire garden gnome it's. Not a garden home it's like a small gnome done by the artist And Art, Professor At, davidson college TOM clark and, it's i was like this is. Going to be perfect it probably stands about four. Or five inches tall now There's a reason why i'm not showing it to anybody. Right now on video and THE reason is when i came home my. Daughter out of nowhere We'll be, three on, August, tenth McKinley goes daddy?
Speaker 2: WHAT'S in.
Speaker 1: YOUR backpack i didn't i come home with the backpack, Every, day from, work Dad every day and, i'm like my laptop my, Water bottle, my headphones.
Speaker 2: Like, what and she goes can?
Speaker 1: You open, it, PLEASE i'm like, okay i MEAN dad every. Day i come home she's. Never asked me to she never even. Looked at my backpack so she opens it up and She sees the.
Speaker 2: Gnome, umpire and?
Speaker 1: Says daddy thank you?
Speaker 2: Is this for ME.
Speaker 7: So what am? I?
Speaker 2: Gonna tell her no so she takes.
Speaker 1: It and brings it to her playroom and she has little windows in her playroom and she puts it on the window sill and.
Speaker 2: He's looking, at, it and.
Speaker 1: It's OH that's perfect so I Want to let peter burn know thank you so much.
Speaker 2: For the kind.
Speaker 1: Gift it's very sweet he referenced, my love of umpiring which was my first EVER job AND something i look i look back at. Those days very fondly it was very important to me to help under stand the game in a different way, and made some, money but most importantly it. Was a Great job but now i'm never going, to.
Speaker 2: See IT again sir so i felt bad that it's not on.
Speaker 3: The set behind, Me, but you know jeff that's in your house and you gave it to your nearly. Three, year old, daughter McKinley. Take it, it's great. Maybe, yeah and umpired look umpiring. Is a great profession i'm going to save for the million. Times very difficult job umpires deserve a whole lot more credit. Than they are given you're looking.
Speaker 1: For your three cards, that's my best guess because you started. Looking around your table?
Speaker 2: Your cards?
Speaker 3: Where here they?
Speaker 2: ARE here they are.
Speaker 1: I got all right dad found the three, cards in the bathroom which he, put on his desk ready to go here on is?
Speaker 2: This a great game? Or what hit me? What do?
Speaker 3: You got all Right Number. One Is. Tommy herr tommy Herr he's in, A twins uniform here but of course he did his Best Work For. The saint louis cardinals and In Nineteen eighty six tommy hurr had eight homers and drove in one. Hundred and ten runs so the only guy since then that has had fewer than ten homers and driven in one hundred Or More runs was paul molitor, in nineteen ninety six who had nine homers and one. Hundred and, thirteen RBIs, And, again back then jeff you were paid. To drive in runs not everyone was trying to hit a home run getting a two run double or a single to right to. Drive in a. Run That stuff mattered tommy hurr was a great run producer and he did it without hitting the ball. Out of, The.
Speaker 2: Ballpark it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Okay Number, two Is, gary matthews the sarge. One of my Favorite he's in. A Mariner's, outfit here, gary matthews of course Came. Up with the giants number thirty six was in The Same outfield With Gary. Maddox and bobby bonds what an. Athletic outfield, that was of course He, played for the phillies and his big deal was when He. Was with the cubs one of. The great leaders ever and this is really going, To, be SELF serving jeff but i. Hope everyone recognized him just doing, This. FOR a laugh Okay i speak at williamsport in the off season Every year at the, crosscutters like winter banquets like five. Years in a. Row i've done it they. KEEP asking me back. I love going. There it's really fun so one year The Other, speaker was gary matthews and we each had a big poster of ourselves that we we autographed and then we auctioned it, off and the money of course went to help people who need help and. Support charities and everything and my signed.
Speaker 7: Poster Went for more than, gary matthews side posters, and, he was pissed, like oh my god how could the dicky little sports writers picture go?
Speaker 3: For more than by he laughed all. THE way through it i think he's, Still laughing about it and just another reminder What A great. Dude GARY matthews is.
Speaker 1: And i mean, yours was, you know actual size so his was on like a three foot by five feet yours was on an index card and it, still went.
Speaker 3: For me, Right, right very. Funny jeff all right, And, the Last One, jeff is bob welsh a very underrated, pitcher in His day Not, a hall of. Famer But really good steve carlton won twenty seven games, in the early seventies and the only pitcher to win twenty seven Games Since, then was bob welsh who won twenty. Seven In nineteen ninety and i've told you many times in one, Of My, baseball heroes tony quinn struck out three times in a game. Once. In, his career once okay so he. Gave me, The Details he said bob wells struck me out three times in one game and then he kind, of whispered, to me he goes he actually struck me out four, times in that game but the. Umpire MISSED a call otherwise i would have struck out four times in one game. Against the same Pitcher That's how good bob welsh. Was in, His, product.
Speaker 1: All right dad team tim to, wrap up today's? Show what's her theme what?
Speaker 3: Are?
Speaker 2: You, Going, with.
Speaker 3: Okay well jeff with, the trade deadline approaching and again this, is ALMOST a cliche but i, just took each position and there's. No science to this there are a million. Possibilities AT each position but i looked at some of the worst or the most lobsided trades made in baseball. History one per position, and let's be clear. This is a trade this. Is Not a sale babe ruth Was Sold by the Red, sox TO the yankees and i think. There's a distinction there so these Are just trades that. I'm bringing up here and it was really hard to do because there were. A lot of options But My, catcher is jason Veritech Who went with Derek Lowe to The red Sox From. Seattle for heathcliff slocum and We All know what jason veritech did in His Career with the red. Sox pretty Darn Good first base jeff bagwell nineteen Ninety Was, traded for larry anderson who's the maybe the funniest player ever To play in the major leagues and had a great slider And Really helped the red. Sox in nineteen Ninety But of course jeff bagwell went On to Become a hall. Of fame, First Baseman second Base Ryan sandberg and larry boa Were Traded for yvon da haysues from The, f to the Cubs and of course sandberg went On to Become a hall. Of fame. SECOND baseman third BASE i must say i had some trouble coming up, with The Third baseman but scott rowland was traded Basically Even, up for placido polanco who was, a good little player so please don't. Anyone take this wrong. He set fielding records, he could play second, he could play third he was a, magician around the. Bag He Could hit but scott roland went On to Become a hall. Of fame third baseman philly Sent him To The. Cardinals for placido Polonco Our. Shortstop is Jim Fergozi and again jim fragozi was Traded Even, up For Nolan ryan and nolan Ryan went from The mets to, the angels and Became of Course a. Hall of Fame Pitcher even though jim fergozi's career was, obviously mostly behind him outfield was A Little bit Easier Frank robinson for milt PAPIs and. Other, people were, involved frank of course that first year now eineteen Sixty six for the orioles Not Only, won the world series BUT he won The Mvp and the triple crown. In his first year AND Never Forget what i. Brooks Robinson told. Me frank, Robinson's Teammate he said frank robinson taught us How. To, Win, in, baltimore now jeff seriously we talk about. Teammates all the time is that not the greatest compliment you? Can pay to anyone he taught. Us how to win it's.
Speaker 1: The Greatest, compliment ever and dad you've said this before in, reference to so many including Your. Late brother uncle matt it's a great compliment to be told, you're a, great player of course but it's the best compliment to be told. You're a great teammate and teammates help teach other, teammates how to, win how TO operate How To i mean don, mattingly comes To Mind right with ruben sierra after he was pimping A Home run in new york for the first homer He, had is a, YANKEE and he. SAID i, got this i mean if that didn't speak to him. Becoming a future, manager by the way that's what managers talk about when they see, Players acting like that like that guy's going to be, a manager one day because that's the, way he treats it being a great teammate and teaching others how to win and how to play. Baseball in that way that, goes a, Long, Way.
Speaker 3: Right right Okay Lou brock for ernie brolio, and Others were involved but brock Ended up Being a hall of Fame, outfielder for The cardinals but the cubs traded him. In nineteen sixty four it turned out to feed a Bad. Move by the cubs they made a few. Bad, moves back THEN.
Speaker 2: Yeah and remember i can't remember if it was last.
Speaker 1: Or two years ago we did a simulation With our friends at Stratumatic seeing if the cubs Would Have won a world series if they Had never traded lou brock because it was around the trade deadline when we did this to see the trades that. Never would have Happened We also Did Ted. Williams for joe DiMaggio remember that was like a whole rumored thing For A while with Ted Williams better in yankee stadium And Vice. Ver for, joe DiMaggio, and so you. Know those are fun we're gonna have to bring some of those back for our friends With our, friends at stratt.
Speaker 3: Right and there there are a bunch of outfielders, who are, involved in you know. Some Really lopsided trades but i'm Gonna Go with your Don, alvarez of the astros who's basically the best hitter, in baseball this year power's got a Chance To. Win the triple crown he Was traded from The dodgers To The, astros for josh fields who really didn't, work out Very Well and jor don alvarez is really really good and before, his career is over there's no telling what those numbers are going. To Look, like pictures steve carlton, who we mentioned earlier was Traded Even, up for rick wise who. Was a good Pitcher but When The phillies got Steve, carlton from the Cardinals he Became a, hall of fame pitcher one of the greatest left. Handers Of, all time, rick wise of course. Was Was really good rick wise it two home runs a game in which he, Threw, a no hitter, jeff, pretty darn, impressive, Right pretty good easy and there are. A Bunch Of yes for john smoltz was Traded Even, up for doyle alexander who Was. Acquired by the tigers and you did A, great job for detroit helping. Them Win A division but john Smoltz went to the braves in that deal and Became a First. Ballot hall of famer and as, We Mentioned, Last Week, John Smoltz tom GLAVIN greg maddox and i all ended up In the bathroom at Cooperstown. At the, Four urinals i'm sorry, jeff TO overdo this but i still get a big. Kick out of that how about that you turn around and those three Guys, there Are four urinals and i'm. With, those three guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah and This Definitely trump sure nelson cruz in the bathroom story from a couple of years, ago, during the playoffs right you?
Speaker 2: Said what'd you say you know how many home runs are in? This bathroom right now? AND you had zero.
Speaker 3: I know what Happened on that was i'm doing The Radio, call with carl, ravish MY Dear, friend and edwardo, perez MY dear friend. And i come back it's like the seventh, inning OF the game and i just get back on the air. And THERE'S a, PAUSE so i Say I just saw nelson cruz In the bathroom and. Ravi is like, speechless he's never, speechless and he goes what? WHAT does, that, mean i said Well Can't you see aaron judge just? Hit A Home run john carlos stanton just, Hit a HOME run and now i just saw four hundred and fifty eight home. Runs in the bathroom can't? You connect the Dots and, he, and eduardo goes no we. Can't connect the dots It's the stupidest, thing i've ever, heard and it was but we got a big. Chuckle out OF. It jeff and i that's. What we're here for we laugh when we. Learn on, this show thank, goodness not enough laughter and we don't learn, enough in today's, World including in baseball so hopefully we do that, ENOUGH on. This show i know so that's All We did With. Jason, bennetti on tuesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was fun and we're gonna have A Great time with jim Bowden.
Speaker 2: And you on monday so make.
Speaker 1: Sure to, follow if you're listening. Subscribe if you're watching it's completely free to you and. It always will be we're so happy to bring you three Episodes A week Of Is this a? Great game or what you members of the family are the reason why we're able. To do this show so thank, you for your support and maybe take a minute to share the show with somebody that you know loves baseball, or is learning baseball because we want them to be a part.
Speaker 2: Of, the family too dad enjoy the.
Speaker 1: REST of your weekend i hope you get some sleep around the trade deadline because it's going to be a.
Speaker 2: Big weekend for baseball not, A.
Speaker 3: Chance on sleep. Jeff but that's okay. We can sleep later let's get through the deadline that is a mile post. Of the baseball season thank.
Speaker 1: You so much, for watching and, listening and as always thanks for being a part of our family
Speaker 6: And