Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now in the air.
Speaker 1: Everywhere you have found your way to the Fifth Hour with Ben Mahler and Danny g Radio and we thank you. Welcome to the podcast Dojo and we have double barrel action on the Sunday podcast. We'll have the mail bag, but in the leadoff chair, Danny, it is time right now.
Speaker 3: Four What goes culture?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: John John.
Speaker 1: Pop goes the culture? All right, let's get to it. Here we go. These are random pop culture stories that came across our radar and things that some of them you might have heard about, some of them you've not heard about. And this guy went viral, this Belgium guy, this thing, this story blew up. So this guy in Belgium baked his own death and shows up at his own funeral and It's all recorded on camera, so he had his his family, his close family, play along. The guy claimed he was teaching everyone a lesson. Did you see the story, Dannis is a wild story. So the guy fakes his death. He then everyone's dressed in black. They're at his funeral, and the guy shows up in a helicopter and gets out of the of the helicopter and walks over to the crowd of the people. What an idiot, right, what an asshole? Proving the people that didn't want to spend time with him were in the right. Like he was upset, he said, because his claim was he did this to teach people a lesson, you know, cause he wanted to find out who actually was his you know, gonna good a morning when he died, you know, And so that's why he did it. And the guy ends up looking like a total schmuck, total schmuck, Danny G.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's something we've all wondered about from time to time, but you don't do it. You don't go to great lengths like that to find out that you're still a loser.
Speaker 1: And let me tell you, I've been to enough funerals now at this point in my life here's what's gonna happen. Right, you go to your funeral when you die. There'll be people morning. They'll be in black, some people were very upset. There'll be some people happy or dead. There'll be some There'll be people there that have no idea why they're there, they were dragged there by someone else, They don't really want to be there, and like anybody likes going to a funeral. And then there'll also be the people there that want they want something from you, like money or something like that. They think they need to be there, right because maybe they're in the will or maybe you left them your old baseball cards or something like that, you know that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: So or in our case radio community. And then guys would get up there and tell stories about some of the bits and the jokes that you did on the air that they'll always remember.
Speaker 1: Well that is that is true? Well, you know who hired you at? When did you start at Fox Sports Radio?
Speaker 3: I got I got hired at the end of twenty fourteen, and it was Annie and and Scott Shapiro had just started.
Speaker 1: Okay, because one of the wildest funerals I've ever been to our old boss at Fox sports radio. This guy named Andrew Ashwood.
Speaker 3: Who I've heard plenty of stories about him.
Speaker 1: Bigger than life, and he he got cancer at a young age and passed away and from San Antonio, great radio guy, and he knew he was going to check out. He had a fatal disease that was incurable and so he kind of had a chance to plan things out. And he loved the Green Bay Packers, and he planned this funeral which was actually like a kind of a party. It was a celebration of life and it was pretty cool. It was really really wild. There was the craziest party I've ever been to at the Hollywood Hills, like a real Hollywood party, like people shorton lines of coke off hookers took it is like it was unreal and that just blew me away there. That was a wild night.
Speaker 3: But anyway, sounds like my twenties with Deaf Jam records.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw that stuff in movies. But that's that's about it up until that point. Also on Pop Go's the Culture, how about this? I didn't talk about this on the radio show Pat Sajack, Yeah, done, what are we gonna do? We lost Alex Trebek and now Pat Sajak those shows simultaneous, right back to back, Wheel the Fortune and Jeopardy.
Speaker 3: Who would have ever thought that Vanna White would outlast Pat Sajack.
Speaker 1: Didn't They try to get rid of Vana White years ago because she was too old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then there was bad blood, I guess between the two of them. I don't know if there still is, but anytime I've seen it on TV, I get a weird vibe from the two of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well I actually met Pat Sajack. I'll do a look at me Hollywood story. But Pat Sajack, he used to go to Dodger games all the time. You know, he lives in I think he lives in Maryland. He lives in the east, on the East Coast. He doesn't live in LA. He flies out the tape wheel of Flour a couple of times a year. He'll tape like tons of episodes in a week and then go back and like when I say tons of episodes, Dady, they tape like twenty a day or some ridiculous number.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, yeah, they film all day long.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, So my run in with Pat Sajack, well there were there were actually there were two run ins, So there was this guy named Stu Nahan who was an LA sportscaster and like a legendary figure. He was in movies. He was in Rocky Fast Times at Ridgemont High, like all these different old school movies, and he had bit parts, you know, usually played a TV anchor, which is what he did. He was a sports anchor in LA and so I knew Stu. Stu was nice to me. Actually took one of my jobs with the Dodgers, but that's a different story. But Stu passed away a number of years ago, and he was really good friends with Pat Sajack. I had actually seen say Jack and Stu at a Dodger game. That was like my first time I came across Pat Sajack. But Pat Sajack spoke. He was like the host of the funeral, the memorial service for my friend, you know, Stune and his friend. He was better friends with him than me.
Speaker 3: And it was.
Speaker 1: Actually at the movie theater right across from the studios in Sherman Oaks, at the Galleria there. They ran it out a theater in the afternoon. I didn't even know you could do this, and there were invited, you know, celebrities and you know people dignitaries. And that's also where I Scott Boris, the agent, was there as well. He spoke, but any way, was the host, and it was it was wonderful because he told one of the all time great stories. So Pat Sajack worked in Los Angeles television. I think, if I remember correctly, he was like the weather guy. I might be wrong on that, but I think he was the weather guy.
Speaker 3: Sounds about right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so there was this game show that was starting and he's like, hey, you know, take it, ladies. He said no. Pat Sajak asked stud and Ahan for advice. He's like, hey, can you can you help help me out? I'm thinking about taking this job. I don't know. It's a you know, it's a game show. And what do you think Stu? And so Stu, who had all his TV experience at the time, he and Pat tells the story great, So he says, he asked Stu and Stu Sue said, no, don't do that. Those game shows never last. You'll never you'll never make it work. You know, people always need the weather, they always need the weather. They don't need you know, they don't need what you're doing over there. And of course, what forty one years for Pat Sajak he started in nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 3: That is even longer than Bob Barker's run, which was thirty five years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's who's going to replace Pat Sajak. Eh, you know that, you know who the favorite is? No, Ryan Seacrest is the phase of the favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Should I point out, Danny that when I started in LA radio, there there was Ryan Seacrest was the afternoon DJ at ninety eight point seven, which Starr FM or what it was called at the time. Jimmy Kimmel was the morning sports guy at k Rock. I did a mid day show on the sports station. And which of those three people did not hit the lottery? Danny, Uh, not that I'm bitter, Not that I'm bitter. I'm happy for them. Good for them, you know, wonderful.
Speaker 3: Listen, my man, you've become one of the sports legends. My man.
Speaker 1: Oh man, you're a legend. I know everyone's sleeping mom man, but you're a legend. You're Yeah. Anyway, So good luck to Pat. Say Jack, that's a great gig, that's an easy gig. Well, see, Chres quit his morning show. He moved back to La.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, do that. That's probably why the rumor mill already started about him.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you think that that was already planned out. You think they.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe his uh, maybe his uh what do you call it, his handlers, his uh, his agency knew something about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, could be, could be. Usually I don't. Usually most of the time, from my experience, when a big job like that opens up, it's already filled before it opens up. There's already somebody lined up, and it's unfortunate, but that's usually the way that works. But the one that didn't have that lined up because it wasn't planned was it was jeopardy. They still don't have like it's kind of like wandering.
Speaker 3: We thought they had their person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know what happens when you Yeah, pop goes the culture? What is next? What is next? On pop goes the culture? Well, here's a fun story. More on aliens. More on Aliens.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was hoping you were going to bring this Las Vegas story up.
Speaker 1: Oh no, not that one. This is we got to talk.
Speaker 3: About the Vegas story.
Speaker 1: All right. Well let's sorry, So yeah, this is the Vegas Well we'll start with the Vegas story, all right, we'll start with the Vegas.
Speaker 3: So I thought about you. When Covino and Rich dove into this and we played the audio of the nine one one operator, I thought about you and your lovely wife, because because the kid is so calm on the videotape, I'll play a piece of it right here on the podcast.
Speaker 4: All right, there's like an a fool person decided and another one inside and it has big guys that are looking at us and it's still there.
Speaker 3: Okay, where is this on your property?
Speaker 4: In my back yard? I swear to god this is not adult, but this is actually.
Speaker 2: Were So there's two people or two subjects fatter in your backyard.
Speaker 4: Correct, And they're very large. They're like a nice I don't know, they're like they look like ilius, like big guys. They have big eyes, like like I can't excited and big I'm out their tiny eyes and and they're not human one hundred percent. They're not human.
Speaker 3: And you hear how calm he is. He's just like, it's one hundred not human. And because he's so calm, spot was ourding on our show that it's completely fake.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I haven't asked my wife about this, but I have a theory that the nine to one one operators get so many bullshit calls that they probably just assumed this guy's on some kind of drugs and these just imagining this, you know, and I'll type it in.
Speaker 3: The Vegas PD saw something that night in that neighborhood, and that's why they actually took his call serious. And now the follow up to the story is they have actually put some cameras on this kid's property.
Speaker 1: But they don't have photos of what they saw, right. They don't know how come they never have photos of these things and everyone's got cameras everywhere. I don't understand.
Speaker 3: I think something like that and if it happens fast, and who knows how fast these vessels are, then that's the other thing. That was the other argument on our afternoon show is why does it always look great? Any like it came from an old Nokia flip phone exactly.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating. Now, listen, I believe there are absolutely creatures that are living on the planet. Don't I'm not naive to think that that is not not going on here. I mean, I think I look out to the heavens and I am like, oh, there's stuff going on. I believe that, but it's just odd that there's not been any kind of photographic or video clear, video clear photographs.
Speaker 3: There was something legit going on with this though, the way the PD reacted, the footage that the police actually had of the property, and the article said that there was a small crop circle in their backyard, So I haven't seen a photo of that. I don't know. It's so hard to believe any of this, But at the same time, we've talked about it on the podcast before. You'd be naive, so naive to be like, ah, there's no such we're the only ones here and who oh cowherd. Recently there's a video of him saying we are the only ones. There's no aliens, and he's going on and on about how humans are the only life form in the galaxy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we can add that. I love Colin, but as he's pointed out, he's not paid to get his takes right, He's paid to have a take. That's fine. And then when the aliens pop up, I'm sure he'll he'll ask whether or not they can play with Lebron, or whether they should play the cowl or whatever and all that. So, yeah, hey, I'd love to hang out with an alien. I think that would be be wonderful.
Speaker 3: I think the first alien to ever play in the NBA. Colin will be pounding on his desk trying to get them to get picked by the Warriors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they need a super team, a super galaxy team from outside this the Milky Way Galaxy and all that. Yeah. Well the alien story that I saw and we got to get to the mail back because there's a ton of mail. But this guy, David Grush, I believe that the guy that has been the whistleblower, and he's the guy that said, hey, listen, I need to speak because this is real. And like the US House of Representatives announced they are planning to hold hearings to investigate the claims by this Air Force guy, decorated Air Force veteran. So he added on to his story this week. He's the guy that says they've recovered the United States has retrieved UFOs. Right, he said it, and now he's added onto it. His latest claim. He says that the Vatican was involved in the the first ever mission of the United States the secret UFO retrieval program. He said, it's long been known that the regime of the Italian dictator Mussolini documented numerous unidentified aerial phenomena UFOs or UFOs, and there's an internal memo from the Italian secret service and includes drawings of the unidentified aerial phenomena. And in nineteen thirty three, almost one hundred years ago, was the first recovery in Europe and it was in Italy. There you go, you're maybe some old relative there, Danny back in Italy might have been doing that for you. But they recovered a partially intact vehicle. The Italian government moved it to the secret air base. It was there until around nineteen forty four or nineteen forty five, and the Pope backed channeled that and told the Americans what the Italians had, and so the Americans then scooped it up the Pope. This is unbelievable, sounds like a movie. We got Mussolini, we got the Pope. And is that time? Did it? When did technology explode? Because my theory has always been it's like the iPhone and all these gadgets that we use is a direct result of re engineering alien technology. So if the guy said around nineteen forty five, so let's say they got the vehicle from Italy in nineteen forty five. They then, what do you think how many years does it take to figure it out reverse engineer the technology? Ten twelve years probably, maybe maybe longer. But would that work out where the advancements in technology took place from that point forward that things have gone at a ridiculously high paced since then.
Speaker 3: Could be. I mean, that's how my mom had that state of the art JVC stereo.
Speaker 1: All right, well that should be I think that we'll leave it on that. There were some other pop goos, the culture stories, but we have to get to the mail bag, Danny, why got tons of mail? We also did not get to Backscratcher, and I wanted to get to that as well. I was supposed to do that on Saturday, but we forgot to get to backscratch Your bad job.
Speaker 3: Oh, it gives you even more time to write your own reviews so that we read yours as well next weekend.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. But I want to thank Fabian. Got one review this week, Danny, that's all. We'll take one a week. This is headline Roberto the bus driver. He said that was awesome, an awesome episode of the Fifth Hour. Going to miss him totally understand why he left. Thanks for the closure. Well, you're welcome there, and that is very nice to me. He gave us five stars, so thank you for the That backscratcher is up. It's the Apple podcast page. Yep, everything, Danny. You put that in the description of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just click on the description in this very podcast and then scroll down and you'll see the overall score of the podcast and it says write a review. Click on that make a user name five stars, write your review. Bam, easy peasy.
Speaker 1: And why don't we now dive into the mailbag. We're gonna go rapid fire. Danny got tons of mail this week. Some weeks we get a few, you know, it's never that bad, but some weeks we get tons. And this was a very popular mail bag week. Yeah, it's and here we go. Jeff In Jackson, Tennessee writes and he says, do you all? And that means he's legitimate Tennessee. When you start out by saying do y'all, that's legitimate Tennessee. That's not a guy that moved to Tennessee. That's a guy who was born in Tennessee and is like the fifth or sixth generation from Tennessee. Anyway, Jeff says, do y'all do sports talk because you love sports? Or is it fame and fortune?
Speaker 3: Jesus?
Speaker 1: And what sports, if any, did you play back in the day. That's from Jeff in Jackson, Tennessee. Well, as you know, Jeff, I'll go first here. When you really want fame and fortune, sports radio, especially for me overnight, sports radio is really the place you go to. It's either that or become a Hollywood star or on Broadway or any of those other things. No sports commentator is right at the top. So I absolutely hate sports, and I only do it because of the fame and the wealth. As you know, Danny, when I move houses, my home purchase is in the real estate section of the La Times because I buy such expensive property, that is why. And as far as sports, played played all the big sports. I played baseball, basketball, football, loved them all occasionally volleyball. Didn't really love that, but played. I played soccer when I was a kid, football, all of those. What about you, Danny?
Speaker 3: Love radio, and even if there was no popularity attached to it, I would still do radio, love music, love sports. Sports was the other passion growing up in It was sports and it was music. As kids, those were the two things that me and my older brother both loved a lot. Street trunks for legs. So as a kid, I was a running back, had some speed. I was hard to take down. And for baseball, even as an adult, still playing in a league at Balboa Park, third baseman, and I wrote, line drives down the third baseline.
Speaker 1: Is Walt Rinniac your hitting coach is that you're.
Speaker 3: You know, I haven't got to play in a few years because of our crazy radio schedules, but I'm hoping to get back. Because Rich Davis from Covino and Rich, he plays in that same league at Balboa Park.
Speaker 1: You guys should have a Covino and Rich league.
Speaker 3: They've talked with some editors. They're trying to put a FSR softball team together.
Speaker 1: Oh that'd be cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would be cool.
Speaker 1: I might actually play in that, but the probably play on knights. I can't do it, but if they played on a night I could, I would be part of that. Next up on the mailbag, Mike in Fullerton writes, and he says, hello, Ben and Danny g now that the search is on for Roberto's permanent replacement, I'd like to officially endorse Chris Perfet. He's got hot, takes great timing, and didn't completely own a segment of lame jokes with a million stupid laugh drops like Iowa, Sam, how dare you?
Speaker 3: Mike?
Speaker 1: He says, the do the right thing, Ben and pick Perfet, and then he says, Okay, with that out of the way, here's my question of the week, Danny g If you quit Fox Sports Radio, are you brave enough to go through Ben's hard hitting interview like Roberto did? And Ben? If you quit, would you have an interview yourself or how would that work? He says? Would you have to interview yourself? Yes? I would. Well, the good thing is if I if I leave the radio show, the podcast I think vanishes also, so that would there would be a different podcasts. I think these are all tied together, the podcast and the radio show, So you'd have to follow me on social media to find out where I'm at next.
Speaker 3: So you'll have to put you on the Gottlieb podcast. And I definitely last weekend I mentioned I've been fired from one big radio station and it was due to a management change, which I talked about last weekend, And I would have loved to talk to the listeners afterwards, and I wouldn't have bashed the company or anything like that. I would have just talked about all the fun times and reminisced, talked about what I was going to do next, and then you get to go, you know, bond voyage. But with radio companies freezing your ass out, I didn't get to do that. I'm glad that he got to do that. But for some of us that got fired back in the day in radio that didn't exist back then.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not. And I love ill Sam Man. I did talk to Sam. You know, there is a certain when you do the lame jokes you do have to have. We found it works better when you just use one. Yeah. Yes, when you try to mix a bunch of things together, it's just hard to you can't really enjoy the segment. So and I was Sam. I think he understands, and so he'll do it better next time. Ozzie Was writes in from Western Australia. He says, hey, Big Ben and and Daddy G longtime no speak. I was catching up on the Fifth Hour podcast. I finally am up to date. I had an issue with the one when you were at the meet and greet and started talking about burgers and the juicy Lucy whatever that may be. Well, Ozzie was I explained what the juicy Lucy is. So burger stuffed with cheese. It's got cheese in that's the thing. Anyway, he says, I got that burger. I got that burger while working. That my normal lunch. She said he heard the podcast and I was not able to get a burger. Get the job done, he says, Rather, so I shut the machine down. He says he drove forty five minutes into the closest town just to get a hamburger.
Speaker 3: Oh so he's saying, you made him really hungry.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he's blaming me because I got you. He had to eat a hamburger, and he says it was worth the hour and a half long journey to get that in his belly. Okay, so you should be happy then we helped you out. You think they have juicy Lucy's in Western Australia?
Speaker 3: Probably not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably not, probably not. Chris and Marri Coca to Iowa writes in on the mail bag. He says, where does the juicy Lucy? Here's appropriate, Where does the juicy Lucy rank in your Malar Big Board of burgers. Yeah, I like the Juicy Lucy. It is a top ten burger. I don't know that I have it in the top five. And here's why. It's hard to get it well done. And I like a well done burger. So that's my only problem. I think it was one of the juicy Loosiers I got that was well done. There were some of them that were completely undercooked and made they want to puke. So if you can make a juicy Lucy well done, that would be the perfect burger. He also says, Chris, I heard a caller mentioned the horseshoe food. Have you ever played a game of horseshoes before? Yes, Chris, I have played horseshoes, and I assume you have Danny right. We're old. They used to play horseshoes when we were younger.
Speaker 3: I remember my grandparents doing it on like some little camping trip.
Speaker 1: That used to be a good park game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had a horseshoe?
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: So this guy called up the radio show from southern Missouri or southern Illinois, near Missouri, near Saint Louis, and he said they have a local delicacy. Delicacy there called the horseshoe. What the hell is that? So the horseshoe is a big slice of Texas toast and then they put a big pile of French fries on there, some cheese and meat, and they call it a horseshoe. It's an open faced sandwich. That sounds pretty good. It sounds sounds sounds sounds like poutine to me. It sounds sounds solid. Next up on the mailbag, Jennifer in Richmond, Virginia. Right, since it has been and Danny g have either of you ever let yourself indulge in the thought of just up and leaving your careers to be impulsive and just go off the grid for a while. Money isn't an issue in that alternative reality. What would you be doing with all your newfound time and freedom from the daily grind? Yeah? So, Jennifer, sure you think about like what would happen if you didn't do what you're doing? But I would be an absolute wreck. I have to stay busy. I do not handle down time very well. I got to always have something going on, and if I don't have something going on, my mind starts wandering. And now if all my bills are paid, and I had no worries about finances. I had a bank account that was filled, and I knew I'd be taking care of for the rest of my life. I think I could figure out how to re wire my mind, but it would be very difficult to do that. What about you, Danny.
Speaker 3: I would pull a Phil Jackson and have a huge property in Montana. And if I had to do anything for work, just to enjoy it, because all the bills were paid, I'd probably do something for the National Parks.
Speaker 1: That'd be cool. Yeah, you could actually afford to move to Montana right now. You'd be living like the unibomber. But you could actually live in Montana right now, you could afford it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But I would want a big mansion like what Phil Jackson lives in.
Speaker 1: Not a little shack.
Speaker 3: I want a big, huge spread with some horses, something like that.
Speaker 1: I want a camel. Caleb writes in from Parts on Known, He says, what's your go to artist? To listen to? Guys when you're exercising, you're doing stuff around the house. So we'll go quick on this. When I'm getting ready for the show and I'm preparing for the show, trying to find things to talk about it. Listen to classical music, although lately I've been mixing in this is my wife's fault. I've been mixing in Spanish guitar music, which is pretty good. Yeah. You ever listen to Spanish guitar music? No, Yeah, it's pretty good. Actually, it's got a good beat to it. It's it's like a step above classical music because it moves a little bit more. And yeah, I enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so big band doing the salsa on the exercise machines.
Speaker 1: Right, absolutely correct? What's your goate.
Speaker 3: Get hyped up? Like? For instance, I have a weight bench in my garage. On the speakers, I'll play west Side Connection, foh Drizzle. I also play like Red Hot Chili Peppers, stuff like that, and like some some harder alternative rock to really get the blood going, so hard Wrap and some hard rock.
Speaker 1: Big Glu rites in. What can Big do for you? Big Lou says, how do you How did you're re hiring by Fox Sports Radio? Start Ben? Did you send Fox Sports a DM on MySpace, a new profile on Twitter and tweeted at them? Yes? No, so I had actually been in negotiations with a couple of other people, and I was I was very close to getting a job that likely would have caused me to relocate from southern California. And this is uh, well, that was one of the jobs I did interview at ESPN. There was another another gig that I had lined up back east in Boston, and and uh and then I also talked to the people at Sirius XM and they were interested, but these you know, how is Danny people are interested, but they're like not that interested. You know. They're like, well, we'll get we'll get back to you, and we have we think we want to hire you, but we got to wait for this kind of lose their job. And it is like all.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, it's a waiting game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so I was waiting and the z Dog calls me up and she's like, hey, we want you back, and I'm like, well, I thought, yeah, are you pulling my chain? You know like and then I realized the z Dog does not do sarcasm. It's not I love her, but she does not do sarcasm. And so this was legit.
Speaker 3: And our best idea that didn't work out.
Speaker 1: And my mom, you know, is not she was not in the best of health at that time. So this was in nine, the summer of nine, and I was like, well, do I really want to leave my mom? You know? And she's say, you're not doing great.
Speaker 3: The listeners that don't know really quick, they tried to put a collage together of like all the supposed best parts of the day that happened in the previous twenty four hours, and that was what was supposed to replace the big Ben Mallard didn't work. You fired.
Speaker 1: They called it the soup because there was a is that show still on the soup that was.
Speaker 3: On e H that's been long gone.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that was the ripoff. They ripped that show off, and the geniuses and the upper management at that time, I know what would do well? Fire malor we'll have no live overnight show and we'll just have you know, this rehash of different shows.
Speaker 3: And it was.
Speaker 1: It did not go well, which was good for me, and you know, I'm happy that I'm back, and I've actually been back. I was at the company for nine years when they let me go, and I've been back now for fourteen years. So that's a long that's a long run. Lou also says, if you smoked weed as a young man. How much more would you have weighed from all the pope and bibing munchies?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, got yeah, you were already a hostess monster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, Lou, I think I just would have I would have been what's that show nine hundred pound life or whatever? It's all the five hundred pounds where.
Speaker 3: They had to use a crane to get you out of the house.
Speaker 1: I would have just eaten myself to death. I would have just I'd have my and they would have found me, and I would have had like orange fingers from Cheetos and a chocolate you know, all over my mouth and Cheeto dust, and that would have been how they they found me. And maybe someday they'll still find me like that. Who knows Kevin in Kansas right send on the mailbag, he says. Dear Ben and Danny G. I was listening to a Bege's disco tune this morning. Suddenly I picture both of you out on the disco floor doing all the moves. I grew up during the disco era, but I never discoed. Have either of you shown your moves on the dance floor? If so, is there video you could post. Yeah, so no, there's no for me, there's no video. I bet Danny's done that. I've not done that. And I actually mentioned this this week, Kevin. It's serendipitous that you brought this up. So on ask Ben, which sounds nothing like the mailbag.
Speaker 3: Danny, No, it's not a ripoff at all, not at all.
Speaker 1: It's original content. And on ask Ben was asked, I forget. I think it was the thing you're embarrassed about what you wore. And I blamed my parents for this. But when I was a kid, and I didn't know this until my parents passed, I was going through some photos and my mom took a photo of me in bell bottoms and yeah, Benny, call me Benny bell bottoms if you want. So that was a little awkward. Any disco in your past there, Danny? Do you you know you don't think you're a disco guy, though.
Speaker 3: I feel like, oh no, And thank god my parents didn't like disco. They were into R and B and soul and early hip hop. My mom liked all the white singers who sounded black.
Speaker 1: Racist.
Speaker 3: So she was a big Hall and Oates fan, a big Michael McDonald fan. So that's the kind of music they love. They hated disco, thank god, and it was past our like when our childhood, Disco wasn't a thing anymore good for us. Some early early photos of us, though, are some late seventies gear. What the hell were people thinking back then? You know, they were tripping on some LSD or something, but no, thank god, you know, in the nightclubs and djaying for a couple of decades. Yeah, you know, dancing is a big part of the night. But as they say, gangsters don't dance, we boogie, so kind of lean back, lean back. So even if you don't want to be out there dancing like a chicken with your head cut off, you can just kind of do the bob and flow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and disco did lead to what is the greatest radio promotion of all time in Chicago anyway, the Disco Demolition Night, which was this radio guy named Steve Dahl who is twenty four years old, and he thought it would be great to go out there and and blow up a bunch of records that were given by in the White Sox. I saw a documentary on this. It was pretty crazy. And so they had this nineteen seventies radio the guy had this. He was going to come in on a tank with like a military helmet on. And if I remember correctly, it's like if you if you brought a disco record, they would give you either a free ticket or a half priced ticket or something like that. It was it was in between. It was nineteen seventy nine, I think it was. It was in between. It was in between a White Sox Tigers doubleheader, and they they expected a kind of a small crowd and the place was packed, right. They thought they'd get a crowd of maybe twenty thousand, which was like a little over what they usually got in those days. And they estimate that there was at the very minimum fifty thousand people that showed up. But they didn't have enough security, they didn't have enough ushers. It just totally created It had to postpone the game.
Speaker 3: They turned into a huge shit show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was a wild I do recommend the documentary. And the guy that worked at the Loop, which was the station in Chicago, the promotions guy. He was a programming guy. I think he actually worked briefly at Fox Sports Radio and he was the one that put that together. Jeff Schwartz is his name. I don't know if you ever worked with Jeff. Probably not. He was at Fox very briefly, but I guess he was a sales guy actually at the Loop and he worked as one of our guys at Fox Sports Radio briefly. And he told me, oh, I was fascinated. I was riveted about that that night, and he told me how crazy it was. And they were like afraid they were going to get arrested, and you know it, just like they thought they were gonna get blamed and all that.
Speaker 3: That's a radio dude dream come true. Though, for a promotion to blow up so big that it shuts a baseball game down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it shuts it down. And here we are a generation, actually two generations later, and it's still something that we can reference. Fred in Spring Texas I will do a couple more Fred and in Spring Texas Rights and it says, guys, how did you both meet your spouses? We've gotten this one before. How long did you date before you were married? And how long have you both been married to your current spouse? Wow, that's a lot of personal.
Speaker 3: Questions and last four of your social.
Speaker 1: Yes, and can you please help give us your bank info so we can get all your money. So I met my spouse online. I was doing some online dating. I met her that way, and we dated for like a couple of years. It wasn't that long, and then we got married and coming up on in about a month, it'll be ten years. I can't believe that, Dad, Wow, holy crap, that's a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not even made it for ten months with a woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and now things are about to get real, Danny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now it's changing, TENDERNI tips. So, Yeah, I met my girl online and we dated for what two years, and just recently got married and recently got pregnant and about to pop out a baby. Daddy, it's been a wild couple of years. Here.
Speaker 1: Nice, last one alf from the mortuary, He says, been and Daddy g A, have either of you made out a will and b if so, have you made arrangements to have Haze from Minnesota flown out to prepare your body for your dirt nep, very very very nice. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No. With the doc might treatments, we're both on. We're never gonna die exactly.
Speaker 1: We were actually lizard people and we will never ever die at all going to happen unless it does. I do not have a will. Do you have a willed?
Speaker 4: Inn?
Speaker 1: I do not have a will.
Speaker 3: No, I do.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's the final frontier into adulthood when you get a will. Yeah, I'm not quite ready for that. Insurance, right, Yeah, that's another one. I do have life insurance, but that's pretty much just I have the bare minium just to cover the funeral expenses and you know, the bills for a little bit if I if I croak before my my wife, which I probably have, but she's the way I look at it. She's a lot younger than me, so she'll probably outlive me, so she'll just and when you die and you're married, your wife just gets all your crap. So that's just kind of how.
Speaker 3: It goes, right, Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So as long as I check out before her, we're in good shape in that regard. And uh yeah so uh And thanks to Nick and Wisconsin, you actually have asked that question before John and Omaha, Bob in Seattle, Gregan, West, Saint Paul. We've got a lot of people we didn't get to. I apologize, Hey.
Speaker 3: Who's going to get all your radio equipment? Though? Because your wife doesn't need that that.
Speaker 1: You know, who's going to get that. I think doctor Landfill will get that. I think that's probably by the time I've done. I'll just put that right and that will be that number ones.
Speaker 3: To the Marconi Museum. Come on, all right, come on man.
Speaker 1: Oh by man, all right, Sunday, we get out of here on that. Have a wonderful rest of your day today. I'll be back on the radio, old school radio, transistor radio or iHeart app streaming, and we'll be back tonight eleven o'clock in the West on Sunday, two am in the East on Monday, and we'll take you through the four hours on the overnight and Danny, you're back tomorrow, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back Monday afternoon with Covino and Rich two to four pm on the West Side and five to seven pm in New York City. York City.
Speaker 1: All have a wonderful day. We'll catch you next week on the podcast. But I'll catch you in a few hours here on the radio.
Speaker 3: Oh almost forgot to mention, Ben, we now have a refrigerator that makes ice.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, I love it. That's a big man. I love my ice.
Speaker 3: I'm all over an icy Sunday. Nice Asta pasta got a murder I Gotta go.