Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not? And who says so? Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. There are perhaps a handful of people alive today who have actually changed the way a society thinks. Gloria Steinem is one of them. You are living right now today wherever you're tuning in from inside a world she helped build. If you have a credit card in your wallet. If you've ever applied for a mortgage without a man's signature, if you've ever rented a car or opened a bank account without a man's signature. If you've held a job outside the home or had a partner who helps inside it. If you've ever reported harassment at work and had somewhere to report it to. If you've run a marathon, If your daughter has ever played on a sports team, if you've ever been treated by a female doctor, or spoken to a female attorney, if you've sat on a jury, run for office, kept your name when you got married, if you ever made a choice about your own body and had the legal right to make it. That is in large part because of Gloria Steinum. With just a typewriter, a microphone, a few extraordinary women alongside her, and an absolute refusal to accept the world as it was, Gloria Steinem helped shape a century, and today she's letting us into her living room. Now this isn't just any living room. This room, with yellow walls and yellow curtains, a green velvet couch and a big, comfy red chair, sacred objects, talismans, photographs, books all around, is one of the rooms where the women's movement began. Women from all over the world have passed through it. Ideas that changed history have been spoken aloud in it, And somehow, even with all that legacy, it still feels like the most glorious thing imaginable, a room where no one is more important than anyone else. But let me back up. Before she became one of the leading voices of the women's movement, she was a journalist in New York City. In nineteen sixty three, she went under cover at the Playboy Club, posing as one of the famous Bunnies. She worked for weeks and quietly documented what life was really like for the women behind the fantasy. Her story, a Bunny's Tale, became a sensation. What followed was a lifelong, relentless pursuit of equality, co founding Miss magazine, which brought women's stories into mainstream conversation, helping establish the National Women's political Caucus, advocating for reproductive freedom, financial independence, and equal representation not just as talking points, but as lived urgency. Gloria Steinem didn't just write about changing the rules women were expected to live by. She went after the rules themselves. At almost ninety two years old, in just a few weeks, she's one of the last living architects of the modern women's movement. The women who built this world alongside her, many of whom she considered dear friends, are gone. She is still here, still in her apartment, convening talking circles, still lighting torches.
Speaker 2: But when they asked me who I'm passing my torch to, I always say, I'm keeping my torch, thank you very much. I'm using my torch to light other torches, because unless each one of us has a torch, we can't see where the hell were going.
Speaker 1: She doesn't give many interviews inside her home anymore. The last time a camera was in her living room for a sit down interview was Architectural Digest in twenty twenty four. Before that, Oprah in twenty twenty one. This past year, I've gotten to spend some really good time with Gloria her home as one of her fellows. Now. The first time I met Gloria, I didn't know what to expect. I had read all of her words, and she and her friends welcomed me. I sat across from her, and I thought I would be nervous, but I actually felt completely at ease. Gloria beautifully accepts people wherever they are on their path, and she's completely without ego. She is the first person to tell you she is no different from anyone else. One of my favorite lines that she says when people come up to her and nervously ask what will happen when our daughters don't know who you are anymore? And she says, It's not important that they know who I am, It's important that they know who they are, and she means it. Emma Watson once said about Gloria that it's almost as if from birth Gloria was calibrated like a compass to true North and is now patiently and with good humor, making her way toward that destination. I love that line because it is so true and so fitting. Gloria believes in personal testimony, the sharing and passing on of women's stories. I mean, she often says that sharing her honest stories with other women is one of the most feminist things we can do, and I think that's a big part of the magic of the talking circles she holds in her living room. As her fellow I've gotten to throw some and attend some people of all ages and backgrounds and experiences gather to share their honest perspectives. It's obvious she's made it her mission to understand stories that are not her own. Gloria deeply respects and learns from women and their heritage. One of the things I have come to love most about Gloria is her plain common sense. She calls things out as she sees them, as they are, and it will make you laugh out loud. She just sees through the noise of how things are and straight into how they could be. It's definitely one of her superpowers. Another one is that she never loses hope. Sometimes the world Gloria and envisions can feel impossibly far away, wildly optimistic even, But the longer I spend with her, the more I believe it's possible that the work of true equality can get done. And you know what else, I've come to believe spending time with her, that the work trying to get there really matters too. The world Gloria envisions is not the world we live in, not yet, but she's never once acted like it wasn't coming now. In almost every interview, people ask Gloria about the future of feminism what does she see coming? And I'm going to tell you now, I did not ask her that, mostly because I find it to be an annoying question, and at ninety two years old, I was not about to annoy her. But I did ask what she thinks we all have to look forward to at ninety two, and I promise you you want to hear her answer at the end of this interview, do not miss that part. So today I'm bringing you into the home of a woman who changed hours. It's time to question everything with the one and only Gloria Steina. Gloria, you are known for so many things, but you are legendary for these talking circles in your living room, which is where we are right now, and you have an open door policy. Women from all over the world have come and sat in this living room. Where did the open door policy come from?
Speaker 2: Well, I think the idea of a movement, a social justice movement, women's movement, civil rights movement, is meant to include everybody because it's trying to both change society and assist society. So why would you keep anybody out?
Speaker 1: Was it like that in your home growing up? Did you have an open door policy?
Speaker 2: No, because my father had a little summer resort in southern Michigan, and in the winter time he put us all in a house trailer, me, my sister, the dog, my mother, and we went to Florida or California, so we didn't exactly have a door. I mean, we stayed in trailer parks, which are themselves very democratic, Butty stays there. But it wasn't like having a house.
Speaker 1: Do you have fond memories of traveling and being on the road on car trips as a kid or did you not like it?
Speaker 2: No? I think I liked it. But what I liked about it was that I could sit in the backseat and read a book and my mother would say, look out the window you and I would say, but I looked a while ago.
Speaker 1: Do you remember what you would read? Would you read Little Women? Yes?
Speaker 2: Louisa May Alcott was my hero, not only because of Little Women, which was something she wrote for young readers, but she also wrote stories about the Civil War and very adult and sometimes depressed stories too.
Speaker 1: Did books give you a larger imagination of what it meant to be a woman or did you find them to be constrictive at the time.
Speaker 2: Well, because I wasn't going to school that much, and I was reading all the time, and reading indiscriminately. I would just go to the little local library and read up and down the shelves. So I read all kinds of things that I probably wouldn't have been directed to read, not because of any reason except maybe age, But I just was hooked.
Speaker 1: I have a very funnier dorky saying that I love shoes and I love books, and they both take you places. So as a kid, your mantra was everybody has a home but me. Do you feel like, as an adult your mantra has changed to I have a home for everybody.
Speaker 2: Well, definitely, I feel I have a home now and this has really been my permanent home for a very long time, first shared with a roommate, barbonessum and now on my own. I suppose growing up, I imagined that you couldn't have a home until you were married and had children. I didn't understand that women on our own could also have a home. It took a while.
Speaker 1: It must have been very exciting when you moved into this place. Did it mean something more than just a place to lay your head?
Speaker 2: Yes? Well, my roommate Barbonessa, the artist Burboness, we had been living in a one room studio on fifty sixth Street between fifth and sixth here and then finally I can't remember how we found this, but this was like twice as much space. You were excited.
Speaker 1: I can imagine sharing a one room apartment in New York is not easy, even if you like your roommate. You said you always wanted a conventional home as a kid. Do you feel like this has become a symbol for you? Or more a symbol that you share with other people.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to have, as who was at Virginia set a room of one's own. I think we all need that, and women are probably less likely to have that, So I'm happy about that. As I was saying, I moved here first with the roommates, so it kind of arrived in steps. I don't think I moved in and thought, oh, yes, this is it. I'm going to stay here forever. Oh really, it just happened.
Speaker 1: Because you've told me before that you didn't decorate right away, right, it took like ten years to decorate this place.
Speaker 2: Well, I never did decorate exactly. I mean there was a friend who was living here from London and she was helping a man friend of mine decorate his apartment. Oh wow. So while she was doing that, she took me around to auctions and taught me how to bid on whatever it was that I wanted. I mean, all of these things are old.
Speaker 1: I think they all have meaning though, Like you have so many elephants, which you love the elephant painting behind me. You have books from all of your travels. All of the knickknacks feel like they're meant to be there. They have a place.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean they arrived somewhat accidentally, but by now they have a place. I mean, this door is a granary door from India. Even though I didn't buy it in India, I bought it here in New York.
Speaker 1: You have such happy memories of India, it seems you talk about your time there quite a lot.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I went there shortly after I graduated from college. I was engaged in trying to get unengaged, and also I fell in love with the country because it was newly independent, celebrating and finding itself, and also so diverse. You know, there are fourteen major languages within India.
Speaker 1: I think, do you remember when you got engaged? Kind of yeah, did it stress you out or what did that moment feel like?
Speaker 2: I think I didn't quite know what to do with myself. I was about to graduate. I didn't know what would happen. He lived in New York and understood Manhattan, so that was already kind of an interesting mystery. He was also the best friend of the fiance of my friend, a young woman who was a student with me, so it had that kind of almost familial connection.
Speaker 1: Do you have a really happy childhood memory that sticks out to you.
Speaker 2: Well, I was in love with animals always, so the dog would have puppies, and I couldn't give up the puppies. I would get a rabbit for Easter. I don't think this happens anymore, I hope. But if you bought Easter shoes as a child, they gave you a baby bunny, you're kidding, Nor.
Speaker 1: For every pair of shoes, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, no, not one per customer, I think, you know. So there was this white bunny that I was always kind of worried about with all the wild bunnies that were not white that were out there, you know, But I hope it was.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a really sweet memory. I wasn't expecting you to say that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I've never seen you light up as much as when there was a dog staying here for a few days. So I got to see your love of animals up close.
Speaker 2: Yes, No, I was always growing up with animals, and I loved horses. Think girls and horses have a special connection. And there was a period of time in which I had a horse in a nearby farm garage or something. I mean, it was too much for me. I couldn't take care of the horse properly, but it was great.
Speaker 1: And I know you love New York and you love Manhattan so much. I'm surprised because you can't really have animals here.
Speaker 2: Well, you could always have animals in your house, cats and dogs, right, And I'm not going to have a horse again. But I love New York because it's big, it's diverse, you can walk around. It was once Mannahatta Island before Europeans showed up. I mean, it has a long history.
Speaker 1: When you think about your mom and your dad, is there a trait that you think you've inherited from each one of them that stands out?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think so. I mean my mother had been a journalist before she was married. She worked for a newspaper. She loved it. I remember her teaching me how to to use a reporter's notebook. They're the long, skinny ones you put in your hand, you know, so you can write with the other hand. So that acquired an attraction. My father had this little summer resource where people danced over the water and under the stars, as his slogan put it, and he was happy, never having a job in his life. He always worked for himself, so I probably absorbed from both of them in obvious ways.
Speaker 1: It's funny that you bring that up, because in so many of your interviews when you talk about your dad, you mentioned two things. You mentioned that he never had a job. He was always freelance, and you seem to really admire that and that he could sustain his own way. And then secondly, that he never wore hats. Why did you like that he never wore a hat.
Speaker 2: I suppose hats were a symbol of business or conformity or upper middle class, because if you worked in a factory, you didn't wear a hat. I don't know, I mean, but they had some kind of symbolism. So I was glad he didn't share that.
Speaker 1: You liked that he was unconventional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if I thought of it that way exactly. And he was also very kind. His cure for everything was a movie in a malted which is pretty good.
Speaker 1: Actually, when's the last time you got to enjoy that combination?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't remember, so so long ago, I mean it was.
Speaker 1: Pre ten Speaking of movies, I did not realize how much you loved Breakfast at Tiffany's Gloria. That movie had such an impact on your life. Do you remember when you first saw it?
Speaker 2: Well, also, Truman Capote had written about her as a character, yeah, before the movie, and actually in his story she leaves and goes to Africa. I mean there's more of her life, I think in his story than there is in the movie. But in both cases, she just seemed free. And she'd had difficult childhood. She had a brother who was ill or she worried about. You know, it wasn't all fun, but it was free.
Speaker 1: Do you consider your childhood difficult?
Speaker 2: No? I don't, actually, you know, because I always felt loved my parents. I mean, life was not easy for them, but they always treated me like an equal member of the household.
Speaker 1: It was a democratic household.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gloria.
Speaker 1: Before we ever even met, I had read all your books. I had not read this one. I had no idea that you had written five hundred pages on self esteem.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't exactly know how that happened.
Speaker 1: We've never talked about this book, and so when I was reading it, this is when I found out how Breakfast at Tiffany's impacted you. Will you share why it made you so emotional? Because in this book you talk about tearing up? Was it the freedom.
Speaker 2: Because she was totally on her own. She had great hopes but not much support. She had come to me or on her own, I think, and she had a brother at home she was looking after who was vulnerable. In some way, she was her own self and making her own world in a way that probably was not so true. Say of my earlier heroine, Louisa may Alcott.
Speaker 1: Well, a friend told you that you turned yourself into Holly overnight, and then in this book you write about lacing your hair with blonde streaks, wearing kerchiefs, and even rocking the big iconic sunglasses. I didn't realize that it was from that movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course I was nearsighted, so I eated glasses. Anyway. They were all prescriptions, right, I mean, you're very utilitary, but she was. It was a movie about a free woman. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you consider her a feminist?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know if I thought about it in those terms, and I don't know if she did either. But she was clearly trying to lead her own life by coming to me.
Speaker 1: Did the movie make you think about romance or love at all?
Speaker 2: Not really, because it wasn't what it was about She wasn't seeking engagement and marriage, She was trying to live a life.
Speaker 1: If I was going to watch the movie for the first time, which I have to be honest with you, I only saw it for the first time last night, what would it teach me about you?
Speaker 2: I think that in a period of time in which it wasn't so easy to be an independent woman. It was after World War Two, I think people striving to make suburbs and families and had been more absent during the war, so she stood out as someone who was making her own life.
Speaker 1: Were you excited when you got to have a cameo in First Wives Club later in life? Did it make you think of your dad and his love of film?
Speaker 2: No, I don't know why I did it exactly because.
Speaker 1: You show up at the end the final scene.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I knew people who were acting in it. But it's very nervous making to feel you're in a movie scene that everything you do is showing somehow well.
Speaker 1: I also read that clothes used to give you anxiety, so I can't imagine you loving a film set and getting all dolled up.
Speaker 2: It was a realistic movie, so we did not get that dolled up. I mean we were not wearing somebody else's clothes. I don't think.
Speaker 1: No, you looked like you. You had a very chic black suit and a nice blowout. You definitely looked like you. You wanted to be a dancer, and that's part of what got you out of Toledo. So you were always sort of into entertainment in some way. What made you pick up those tap shoes early.
Speaker 2: On probably Shirley Temple or seeing movies and there was adult black man who was her tap dancing partner. And I mean she was one of the few young women in movies, so she seemed like she had her own life, I think, and movies were a big source of escape. As I was saying, my father's idea of escape and reward was a malted in a movie.
Speaker 1: And then I was reading that you would help support your mother through tap dancing too. Did it become something you felt like you had to do or you always loved it? No?
Speaker 2: I always loved it, And I don't know that I ever thought I was good enough to have a career. But where other students might have been playing basketball or something, I was going to tap dancing classes.
Speaker 1: The other thing I want to bring up from that book before we move on to other questions, is that you wrote that you had a lifetime ambition to run a diner one day. I did not know that.
Speaker 2: About you well, because with my parents and my sister we were on the road going to Florida or California. We were always stopping in diners. Diners are very democratic places. Everybody is welcome in a diner, which is a great feeling. So I thought being able to have a diner by the side of the road would be a great life.
Speaker 1: You write, you get very specific. You say you wanted one with blue Gingham curtains and brand muffins. And when you wrote that, you were not of the brand muffin age yet what did you love about brand muffins?
Speaker 2: Is there an age for brand muffins? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just like them, right, you love them to this day too. Yeah, if you were going to open a diner, who would you name it after?
Speaker 2: Diners aren't named after people. They're usually just disused dining cars from trains that are placed by the highway and somebody runs them. I mean. The appeal of them is that they welcome everybody and at all hours. So in the middle of the night, there are truck drivers. During the day, there are people going to school, or just a very democratic, interesting place.
Speaker 1: When you see everyone from different backgrounds and different industries together, I can tell you're smiling. What about that image makes you so happy?
Speaker 2: Well, it's unlimited. You know, frequently in life in college, people we know is some limited, probably less than in the rest of life. People who work in offices, which I haven't done, really are limited. So a diner is infinitely democratic and everywhere. I remember being in one in South Africa that was like that. It was an old train car in the middle of the city and everybody went there.
Speaker 1: I didn't know this about you. I mean, it's hard to take you out of this beautiful living room, but I think I'm gonna have to take you to a diner one day. There's so many good ones in New York. Yeah, your dad was your movie buddy growing up. Do you think he would have gotten a kick out of seeing you on the big screen and First Wives Club and seeing you tap dancing with Barbara Walters at a benefit concert. Do you think he would have liked all that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Probably, Yeah, because he was on the edge of of show business. Himself because he had this summer dance pavilion, and he had his two points of pride that he never wore a hat and he never had a job, right, so he was on the edges of show business.
Speaker 1: Do you think that if social media existed that there would have been some amazing conversations that would have been caught on set or behind the scenes of any of these big moments of you on stage or in the films.
Speaker 2: Well, they exist anyway. We don't need somebody to record them. They're part of our life. I'm glad we have an Internet, especially globally internationally, it's important that we know each other.
Speaker 1: Can you say more about that? You're saying how important it is to live in the present is what I'm garnering from that statement.
Speaker 2: Well, and also in the world, we're all on one globe hurdling through space. The boundaries of nations are totally made up. We try to communicate beyond language as best we can, so we are all passengers on spaceship Earth.
Speaker 1: The idea that boundaries of countries are made up, it's so true. I've never thought about that. They're totally arbitrary, made up by people in buildings.
Speaker 2: And made up by colonialism in some cases.
Speaker 1: And before we started recording, we were talking about men and you said that oftentimes we think of men as singular and women as a collective, and I had never thought about that. It's so true, it seems so obvious. And having spent time with you, and if people watch your speeches, you give us these very obvious truths that for some reason are not obvious to everybody. Was that a skill that you had as a kid. Can you point back to it or where did that come from?
Speaker 2: I don't know that there's a skill. I mean, it's just describing the world. Men of all races tend to have a source of livelihood outside the home more than women, who frequently now also have jobs, but still more than men probably have a reality that's at home and raising children and so on.
Speaker 1: It's just your view of the world that was so unique. You just saw it.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. I mean, I was just living a life. My sister, who was nine years older no longer with us, but she lived a very unusual life because she was a gemalogist, which is an unusual profession. But then she married and had six children and had a household where she always was and so on, so she was drawn to that.
Speaker 1: How did you feel about that choice?
Speaker 2: Fine? No, I mean, you know, as long as it was what she wanted, which it was. And also I was grateful to her because she was often in earlier years looking after me. I didn't know that, well, she was nine years older.
Speaker 1: For some reason, I'd imagined you as little Gloria, sort of looking after yourself and looking after everybody else.
Speaker 2: Well, some of that was true, because when she was seventeen and went off to college, I was obviously way younger, right, So we were separate from those years.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask you about your glasses a little bit more. I can't even believe i'm holding them. These are so iconic, and I know you think that's ridiculous, but they became such a symbol for you, and I think for the women's movement too. When did you first put these on?
Speaker 2: Well? I started to need glasses because I was nearsighted when I was quite young, I don't know, nine, ten or eleven, something like that, so I needed glasses. I tried to wear contact lenses, but it was too difficult. Yeah, they're annoying. Yeah, So I don't know I must have seen other women people I don't know who with glasses like these that kind of appealed to me.
Speaker 1: Right well, I'm thinking it was Holly from Breakfast at Tiffany's. But then did she wear those glasses. I don't think so, not these kinds a different sunglass. But then you were speaking, you were making all these public speech is, and you've said to me before that you felt as if they kind of put a shield between you and the audience because you were nervous spears.
Speaker 2: But I didn't keep them on while I was speaking. You didn't know, because you don't want that kind of barrier between yourself and the people you're speaking to.
Speaker 1: So what did they do for you?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm near sighted, I mean, you know so, so they were truly utilitarian, Yeah, right, right now, I get why you don't understand why I'm making a big.
Speaker 1: Deal out of them. That makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: I mean they were bigger. I mean, most women's sunglasses were not like pilot's glasses like those.
Speaker 1: Right well, just in so many of the iconic photographs of you, you are wearing those. It was kind of a style of the times. But it did signal to me that they meant something to you. I'm just not sure what.
Speaker 2: Well, they started out being a utilitarian. They were kind of a style just because they were bigger and somehow I don't know what that means, but kind of defined in some kind of way. But if I hadn't been nearsighted, I wouldn't have been wearing those.
Speaker 1: We went all the way back to nearsighted. I got it, Okay. Well, I did read in that book, that five hundred page book about self esteem that was very good, that you said that girl who was a little self conscious and awkward put on the glasses and you said you felt like a plump brunette from Toledo, too tall and too much, too pudding face. I'd never heard you describe yourself that way. Does that feel like that was such a long time ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, now, because I'm old right and now it does feel like a long time ago. And also I'm okay with my life. I'm not assuming that whatever I'm doing now, eventually I will have to get married and have children, which went on for a long time, especially for those of us who you know, were born influenced by the war and post war that.
Speaker 1: Was hanging over your head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I assumed. And I remember when I went off to India after college and my mother said to me. I can't remember exactly, but the idea was, go, do you go off to India because you'll fall in love with traveling and so on, and you won't feel you have to live in a certain way.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you went after college and I know you were struck by the women that you met there. What did you see that was so different that you hadn't seen in America?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, there was a national independence movement symbolized by Gandhi and independence from colonialism, so that was huge. Then. Also, it's one country, but it's fourteen major languages, very diverse, and I started out living in women's college in Delhi, so you know, I had that as a kind of a way into the diversity the culture. Besides then traveling around the country. A lot of us have the good luck of being introduced to the world by physical travel and not just for a vacation, but actually living someplace different.
Speaker 1: And some of the women that you meant there were sort of leading that movement.
Speaker 2: Right, everybody was part of the independence movement because of Gandhi and independence from British rule.
Speaker 1: So one of the things that I have been struck by getting to know you is that you really can deflect a compliment.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm realistic at least.
Speaker 1: Do you not like when people compliment you? Do you not believe them? Does it embarrass you? What is that?
Speaker 2: Well, it depends on the situation. I don't think you can generalize exactly. I mean, when somebody compliments you about something you've actually done, right, it's pure pleasure and gratification. Right. If they compliment you in order to get something from you, it's very different. I mean, so it depends right.
Speaker 1: You can feel the difference too. How do you feel when people embrace you in public? Are you a hugger? Are you a handshaker, a waiver?
Speaker 2: Well, it depends on do you want to hug this person? No, I'm certainly a hugger.
Speaker 1: I found you to be so warm. You really embrace people.
Speaker 2: I think shaking hands feels so kind of official. Not that there's anything wrong with it, there isn't, but friends seem more likely to hug.
Speaker 1: Do you consider yourself a storyteller?
Speaker 2: Well, I wouldn't describe myself that way because it sounds as if what you're telling is not true. So I think narrative is everything, probably because that's the way our brains work.
Speaker 1: How would you describe yourself?
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever had to describe alf.
Speaker 1: So when you put those glasses on and you started really delving into the feminist movement, you wrote, I was rescued by feminism.
Speaker 2: How so well, and without feminism I would have can continued to be in a nineteen fifties atmosphere in which women were supposed to get married, have children, maybe have a job at not a whole consuming job, live in a house in the suburbs. That was the post war ideal.
Speaker 1: So one of my mom's friends told me a story about how the women's movement changed her life in that exact way. She was married and thought she had to have children, and because of the movement, she ended up getting divorced, becoming the head of the library association and had a whole different life. She's been married three times and has bought a house and had all these adventures. And when I share that with you, I can tell there's a joy. What is the joy when you hear those stories that.
Speaker 2: She was able to express and to create a life of her own, what she wanted to create, that she wasn't told what to do.
Speaker 1: And do you feel any type of gratification that all the work that you and your friends put into the movement helped on LEAs shure, I do.
Speaker 2: But the civil rights movement, the women's movement, the gay and lesbian movement, I mean, it's all one movement about the ability to be who you truly are.
Speaker 1: What do you think about destiny.
Speaker 2: I don't think I believe in destiny. I don't know, of course, but I think we're more likely to create our own destiny.
Speaker 1: So when I interview a lot of people who have been on big stages or built big companies, I find that a lot of people turn to the idea of destiny because they think, how in the world could this have been me? Out of the billions of people. When you were one of the faces and leaders of the women's movement, did you ever have those thoughts like I can't believe this is my life.
Speaker 2: No, because it was always an effort, and it was always part of a big and diverse movement. It wasn't as if I didn't feel like I was the chairperson of some company or something.
Speaker 1: Do you think in hindsight people misinterpret what the movement was like. Was it very different?
Speaker 2: Living it in the beginning especially, I think there was a lot of misunderstanding. I remember getting a call from Man, a friend also an editor at Show Magazine, which was a big, beautiful arts magazine where we all worked to some extent or something, and he called me up and he said, Gloria, I didn't know you were a lesbian. He was just so convinced that everybody right.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, one of my favorite lines that you taught me is that I think it was Flow Kennedy, who you know. People would come heckle you guys when you were doing your speeches, and they would wait the whole time, raise their hand, heckle you, and say something about you being a lesbian. And then what would Flow say?
Speaker 2: Are you my alternative? Yeah? I thought that was brilliant because it didn't say anything. Well, you made the audience laugh.
Speaker 1: Well, you really harnessed comedy. Was that intentional?
Speaker 2: Well? I loved that. Was the week that was, which was the show I was working for. I was doing a department, which just meant that I was reading vast numbers of global newspapers and finding peculiar items to list.
Speaker 1: You must have loved that job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 1: I know how much you love Flow. You talk about her the way you write about her, I can tell how much you love her. There's this quote that you loved. She said, the purpose of ass kicking is not that your ass gets kicked at the right time or for the right reasons. It's to keep your ass sensitive. I don't even know what that means. Why did you love that quote? Well, you know what it means, right, The purpose of ass kicking is not No, I don't understand it.
Speaker 2: Tell me, well, it's not that somebody's criticizing you or your group or something in an accurate way, but that it keeps you open to input, criticism, praise, whatever. It is a world around you, so you don't get insulated.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Now, Flow was wonderful. She was a pioneer lawyer when very few women, much less black women, were lawyers. She was distinctive looking, with her assy hat and her job pers and so on. We were speaking partners for quite a while, as I was with Dorothy Pittman Hughes, because I mean, I was afraid I didn't want to speak by myself and Also, I thought it misrepresented the women's movement to have one white woman speaking, or one anybody you know, So to have two diverse women seem much better.
Speaker 1: What did black women teach you about feminism?
Speaker 2: Just that it's for everybody. It's for all women and men too. I mean, it's just about equality.
Speaker 1: Did Flow or Dorothy help you find your voice?
Speaker 2: Yes? I don't think I would have gone out to speak without them all by myself.
Speaker 1: When did that start to absolve the connotation that to be a part of the women's movement must mean that you were a lesbian, because I remember even as a kid that lingered in my childhood.
Speaker 2: I guess the idea of women. I'm not sure why. Yeah, but women choosing the company of other women was unusual enough unless you were all housewives, taking care of children or doing something acceptable.
Speaker 1: You seem to have an aversion to being considered a mother to the movement. I've read that you'd rather be considered a sister to it. Why.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, a movement doesn't have a mother. I mean, even in more obvious things like Maman Gandhi was not the only leader of India. A movement is composed of countless diverse people who have a kind of shared hope for some greater equality.
Speaker 1: Was that part of the impetus of the talking circle? Because I can tell you one of the things I've noticed from being there is that there is no hierarchy. Whether you're a celebrity or not, there's no hierarchy. There's no hierarchy. And who's speaking. It's not a pyramid, it is a circle. Was that idea born from that?
Speaker 2: I don't think we invented talking circles. I mean I think they always were a feature of Native American culture. I remember inviting Wilma Mankeller, who was the chief of the Cherokee Nation, to a talking circle here in this living room, sitting and as we were going around, she said, well, when we do this, we have a symbol that we pass, so as each person speaks, they hold design. I mean, obviously we'd reinvented the wheel, right, you know, it had always been there.
Speaker 1: Do you like the idea of a symbol, like a talking stick or something.
Speaker 2: Well, it helps keep the circle democratic. You may not need it, but it does point out that everybody should have a turn holding whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you talk to me about your deep listening skills.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know. I have no idea. Well, I mean, why would one want? I mean, you don't learn while you're talking.
Speaker 1: I know, but so many people don't listen actively the way you do. I notice it in talking circles. You're really actively listening, and sometimes they're long. Sometimes I want to tune out. If somebody's really drawning on when you are listening.
Speaker 2: You may decide, Okay, I'm not learning anything. I mean, that may happen, but otherwise, why would we turn down a chance to learn?
Speaker 1: I've always felt like I could learn something from everybody. Do you feel that?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I do. I mean, I don't know. They're probably big differences in how much we think we might learn. What do you mean I think that I'm not sure I could learn from Trump?
Speaker 1: That's fair. You are such a non judgmental person, but you have real disdain for people who wield power in a way that you don't agree with.
Speaker 2: Well, they don't listen, you know. And I don't think Trump is known as a great listener.
Speaker 1: He's definitely not. That's not what he's known for. Do you consider yourself to be a good caretaker?
Speaker 2: Yes, I was a caretaker from my mother because we were living alone and I was looking after her from the time I was I don't know what, in the sixth grade, maybe into high school. So our roles were reversed since she was the mother and I was the child and I was looking after her. And I think that happens to lots of people in their early I.
Speaker 1: Know that you don't consider yourself the mother of a movement.
Speaker 2: No, of course, not movements. I don't think have mothers.
Speaker 1: But you have taken care of thousands of women in your life now, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But that's more like sisters, I would say, like you're looking after each.
Speaker 1: Other regardless of age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think. So what do you.
Speaker 1: Get from being with women that are younger than you?
Speaker 2: Well, I learn about you know, what plays I should see? What music is good now, what novels, what's going on politically? I mean, just we learn from difference, not sameness. So difference as a gift.
Speaker 1: My grandfather was a professor. He was such a reader and he knew so much, and I could tell that as he started to age he started to be less interested in what people had to say because he kind of knew what they were going to say or he had read about it. Do you feel that at all or are you still lit up by people?
Speaker 2: I think it depends on the person. I mean there's such a big variety coming at you, so some more than others. And I guess a good relationship is one in which you pass back and forth between who is the listener and who is the teacher.
Speaker 1: There's something about the movement that I've always wondered, because you've said you're accidentally identifiable by a movement, When did it become intentional?
Speaker 2: It never really was intentional. I mean I just realized because walking around the street, somebody would, you know, come up and say hello or tell me something or something, and I understood that it was because of the Women's movement or whatever activity, political campaign something.
Speaker 1: I just have a hard time believing that it was accidental after fifty years, Like I understand at the beginning, maybe, but you've dedicated your life.
Speaker 2: Because it's a bunch of different people. I mean I could go out in the street and there's somebody who's twelve who's not going to recognize me, and somebody who's twenty who's not, but somebody who's older. I mean, it's live experience, But the.
Speaker 1: Impact of your work remains. That twelve year old can have a credit card because of you.
Speaker 2: Well, but that twelve year old maybe doesn't know. It doesn't mean she's going to come up to me in the street and say thank you for my credit card.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when you got a credit card, your first credit card?
Speaker 2: I do, because it was very difficult because I didn't have a proper job, so I think I had to have a couple of people guaranteeing me, right the co signer.
Speaker 1: Do you remember your first purchase?
Speaker 2: Mostly I remember being on a march to the Mexican border with farm workers were marching on both sides of the border to meet at the border and have a political rally and so on. And I had kind of managed to charge all of our motel charges on my credit card, which meant when I came home that whatever the company was came and took it away. Really yeah, because as I had way overcharged or right.
Speaker 1: First of all, that's so you. Second of all, I think you hit on something that's interesting because I think that your fame led people to believe that you were rolling in the dough and they didn't realize how hard you were still working in all of these odd jobs freelancing speaking, I can't imagine, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I don't think so, because I think that I and Barbonism and all my friends, you know, we were all clearly independent, working women. I think it was evident that we hadn't inherited a family fortune.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. I think some people may misinterpret that.
Speaker 2: I haven't had that experience.
Speaker 1: But maybe what do you consider your impact to be in the women's movement? If you won't take credit for any of the things, No, well, your impact.
Speaker 2: I do take credit. I mean, I hope that I have had an impact by listening to women and taking women seriously in a culture that really had trained us to take men more seriously than women, or to attribute women's seriousness to their attachment to a man, or to their wife, woud or motherhood or something. I hope and believe we helped to see women as unique individuals.
Speaker 1: I really love when you tell stories about your days on the road as an adult in your book, My Life on the Road. It seems like you felt very comfortable there, maybe because of your childhood you had gotten used to it. Did you feel like you were writing to make sense of everything? That was going on.
Speaker 2: No, because I mean I wasn't experiencing everything. I was just writing about what I did experience, and that included roadside diners and waitresses and truck drivers who were sitting at the counter, and also in other countries. I remember traveling in Eritrea on a road that was the same road that truck drivers used for commerce and so on and stopping, and it's kind of a universal culture of truck stops, which are quite democratic. Lots of different people stop there.
Speaker 1: Do you remember writing a dedication to my life on the road? Do you know where you were when you thought about writing it?
Speaker 2: No? And I'm not sure I remember the dedication either.
Speaker 1: Can I show it to you? It's my single favorite dedication of all times? Can I read a lot?
Speaker 2: And I'm glad regardless of what.
Speaker 1: The Do you want your glasses?
Speaker 2: No, it's okay, Oh yes, right, I know I was thinking about this dedication to doctor Sharp, who made an abortion, a safe abortion possible for me and I'm sure for others too, because there is now a television series about that period in London. So it minds you of that very much.
Speaker 1: Would you read it to me?
Speaker 2: This book is dedicated to doctor John Sharp of London, who, in nineteen fifty seven, a decade before physicians in England could legally perform an abortion for any reason other than the health of the woman, took the considerable risk of referring for an abortion a twenty two year old American on her way to India, knowing only that she had broken an engagement at home to seek an unknown fate. He said, you must promise me two things. First, you will not tell anyone my name. Second, you will do what you want to do with your life. Dear doctor Sharp, I believe you, who knew the law was unjust, would not mind if I say this so long after your death. I've done the best I could with my life. This book is for you. The television series that's now on about the sixties in London was about that period when abortion was not illegal but possible under some circumstances. It reminds me.
Speaker 1: Is that the Glorias or is it a different show? No?
Speaker 2: What's it called? I should remember what the show is called.
Speaker 1: That's okay, we don't need the name. That's interesting though. So when I was I think thirty one, I had an abortion and I was so scared and I read that dedication.
Speaker 2: You were scared because it was illegal or because.
Speaker 1: No, it was legal. I just thought, I want kids in the future, and I didn't know what the health implications were, and I thought, what if the doctor does it wrong, and what if this ruin's my chance to have children? And I read your book Dedication over again because I had remembered it having read it right after college, and I thought, Okay, she did it. I'm going to be okay. Do you think that you recognize how many women like me have read that and thought, Okay, Gloria did it. I'm going to be okay.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's the purpose of sharing our experiences, whether we're sitting at the kitchen table or we're writing a book or whatever it is, we're teaching and learning in that way.
Speaker 1: That's the gift of your writing too. I want to talk to you about questions. Do you consider questions a form of protest?
Speaker 2: Well, they can be, certainly, because you are asking for authority, challenging authority, exploring a limited reality. I mean, it depends on the why of it. But questions are very important because they expand our knowledge.
Speaker 1: And I feel like you've been questioning the status quo your whole life. Do you think that sometimes questions can be more powerful than a statement.
Speaker 2: Yes, because questions assume that there is another person. A statement is one person operation. A question assumes an audience or a partner or someone else.
Speaker 1: I like that. I've never thought about assuming a person. I thought about it as, on the other hand, like another idea, but not another person. That's very interesting. Do you think that men need feminism more than women do? Right now?
Speaker 2: It depends on which man. I don't think we can generalize.
Speaker 1: Well, talk to me about the male isolation or the masculinity crisis that we're in that people deem that we're in. What do you think about it?
Speaker 2: I haven't noticed where you have a masculinity crisis. I mean, for instance, just as one example, we've never had a female president. That's a crisis of masculinity in a different way.
Speaker 1: Right, you're right, that's a good point. I actually have questions for you about that. You've had the benefit of seeing multiple women run for president in your lifetime, and you spent time with many of the former candidates. What characteristics did you think that they all had in common?
Speaker 2: Well, there weren't that many. I mean there was Hillary Clinton, Kamala surely Chise. I mean those three. Where were there were more? I can't remember.
Speaker 1: No, I mean there were more women that ran, but not as candidates.
Speaker 2: I think they had a vision called democracy. I mean, why are we the only or one of the few democracies that's never had a female chief of state? It makes no sense.
Speaker 1: It bothers you.
Speaker 2: Well, it's counter to the definition of democracy.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that you wrote a speech for Shirley Chisholm in nineteen seventy two and you said it was one of the best that you wrote. Why was it one of the best?
Speaker 2: Well, she herself was a symbol of a democracy yet to come, and she was traveling and speaking, you know, at the National Women's Political Caucus and otherwise on the road. So I have no idea if it was one of the best I wrote or not, but I was certainly proud to contribute to her campaign.
Speaker 1: When you think back to Shirley's campaign and then we think about the most recent campaign that Kamala ran, what stands out to you about where the country's at then versus now.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that Shirley Chisholm was only on the ballot in fourteen states. I think we'd have to check, but I don't think it was very many states. So that we thought of Kamala Harris as a more universal or for that matter, of Hillary Clinton as a more universal candidate is a step forward.
Speaker 1: Out of all of the women that you have met and worked with and campaigned for, what woman has been the most deserving and qualified to be president?
Speaker 2: Well? I'm not sure I know that, because I don't know everybody. But when you say that, I think about Bella Absock because she had the most worldwide view of democracy with the fewest divisions or restrictions. I think. I mean, if you walked in the street with Bella in Manhattan, truck drivers would be hanging out of the truck cab saying, give him hell Abella, And so you know, I mean she had a universal appeal that went beyond class and beyond gender.
Speaker 1: Really that must have been wonderful to be around.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, it was.
Speaker 1: Did you take anything that you learned from her to implement in your life? When you were on the road and doing these speeches.
Speaker 2: She probably encouraged all of us to go out in public and talk because she was so fearless about it. I didn't take the habit of wearing hats that was her mark, wearing a.
Speaker 1: Hat, glasses. We didn't need hats, and you had your belt. You loved belts.
Speaker 2: Huh, yeah, I guess so. I don't know why exactly. I think because I had acquired a couple of Indian concer belts.
Speaker 1: I was wondering if it had anything to do with Wonder Woman, because I know that you really liked that character.
Speaker 2: Her characteristic were bracelets that she bounced bullets off, bracelets, so not so much a belt. I don't think.
Speaker 1: Well, it made me think that maybe the belt was your version. I was shocked to learn that you really helped inspire and advocate for this version of Wonder Woman that we know today. There's an article that says you literally saved her.
Speaker 2: Well only because we put her on the cover of Miss magazine. I mean she, I think DC Comics or whatever company owed her. They'd taken away all her magical powers. She was no longer living on Paradise Island, and she didn't have bracelets that she bounced bullets. You know, they had right turned her into a car hop, and we objected to them, and we put her on the cover of Miss Magazine in her original self, and they said, all right, okay, now you know she has her bracelets back, she has her magic lasso, she has you know. Well, now you leave us alone, you know.
Speaker 1: So did you see yourself and her the way you saw yourself in Hollygo Lately?
Speaker 2: At all? No, I didn't see myself as wonder woman. I mean, you can't be somebody with magical bracelets. And at last so and said, no, you just liked what she stood for. Yeah, superheroes for both boys and girls, were very important cultural figures.
Speaker 1: It's true. Are you a DC Comics or a Marvel Comics woman?
Speaker 2: I have no idea because I don't know what they do.
Speaker 1: I actually don't know either. So we talked about a lot of your female friends today, But I don't know that I've asked you about female friendship. What has female friendship meant to you in your life?
Speaker 2: I mean, some men are my community too, but it's mostly women because we share experiences, we share hopes for making change, we share some feelings of being endangered. We just share a great deal. And across national boundaries. My women friends in India who are still my friends, shared many things too.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you about the loves of your life?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so.
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't have to answer anything that you don't want to.
Speaker 2: You know, it's okay. I mean I think, I guess. For a long time, I assumed I had to have children. I thought everybody had, so I had a series of relationships that continue to matter, and I think it's one of the most deep, profound ways we learn to empathize. We learn about different worlds because we're in love with somebody who's part of a different world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you. I've heard you say that romance is a form of curiosity, and I'm curious who made you the most curious.
Speaker 2: I think it's shared because when you've fallen in love with somebody, you're entering into their world and you're learning about their world. It may just have been accidental that I guess. Most of the few men I've been in love with were African American men, so I'm sure I learned more than I would have without them.
Speaker 1: A lot of them that I've asked you about seem to have a real care for the world the way you did, whether it was for civil rights or elsewhere they wanted to make an impact.
Speaker 2: Yes, not that there were that man, but anyway, they were all engaged in some form of trying to make social change. Right.
Speaker 1: Has a man ever given you the ick?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: There's this thing that I think gen Z would coin called the ick, and it's you could be on a date with somebody and it's going well, and then you look down and his toenails are grown out, and you're like, ick, oh, can't date him anymore?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that. What's the most romantic thing anybody's done for you?
Speaker 2: That's an interesting question. I'm not coming up with a specific evening exactly, but I think any way in which this person you're in love with recognizes you as a unique individual and supplies something, play a book.
Speaker 1: A movie, it's so feeling really seen. Do you think that you sought after kind men because your dad was so kind?
Speaker 2: Well, at least I knew there were kind men. I mean, I think it's more difficult for women who have an example of a cruel father and may take more time to recognize that's not the only reality.
Speaker 1: Do you remember being in a relationship and thinking, oh, this person is really teaching me about love.
Speaker 2: Not quite that general. I don't think it.
Speaker 1: Was more an example from your parents, or how did you learn how to love?
Speaker 2: I think we know from the beginning. I mean, I loved my dog cat rabbit parents' sister.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was instinctual for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it is for us.
Speaker 1: Friend, I could point to a few boyfriends who have taught me how to love better, and sometimes it was bad actions, sometimes it was beautiful actions, sort of just like how some of my female friends have taught me how to be a better friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's been your maybe. I mean I'm not sure that's true because I haven't been in a long term marriage, for instance. So we certainly continued to care about each other whether we were together or not.
Speaker 1: You were married for three years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the only the reason that we got legally married is that he had entered this country on a visa because his son was a minor and he was about to be deported.
Speaker 1: And you felt comfortable with being married at that point or did it make you nervous about what it would do to your public?
Speaker 2: Had a purpose? It had a purpose?
Speaker 1: Okay, you know all of this makes sense to me because you've said that the greatest love of your life is possibility. I really think that's so beautiful. You said you fall in love with possibilities. When was the last time that you were in love, and what was the possibility or the potential that you fell for.
Speaker 2: In love with a person or in love with an idea or.
Speaker 1: Both, the possibility of what something could be.
Speaker 2: The last time I was in love was more with a person. It was more about keeping him from being sent home to South Africa. It was about his grown up children who I cared about. But I've also been in love with women friends, not in a sexual way, but in a familial way. With Wilma Mankiller.
Speaker 1: I actually really want to ask you about that because there's this new movie called Eternity, and it's about a woman who has to choose between the two loves of her life. She dies, she goes to heaven. And I know that you've had a few loves of your life, some female friends and some men that you really loved. So I am curious. I'm going to ask you a silly question. If you were to go into the afterlife and have to choose a partner to spend eternity with, who would it be.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure because that's such an artificial situation, so it's probably more than one. But Wilma Mankiller comes to mind because she represented not just current culture, but ancient culture as well.
Speaker 1: I can't believe her real last name is mankiller.
Speaker 2: Well, as she pointed out when people asked her about it, that it was a translation of a title for someone who guarded the tribe, and if they asked her in a nice way, she would explain that, and if they asked her in an unnice way, she would say, I earned it.
Speaker 1: I love that. I also love talking to you about modern dating. I think you have the funniest opinions. They're so real. You really give me real talk. What is a dating trend from your time dating that you think people should bring back?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not sure what exists now. I mean maybe then we were more likely to go steady, so it was a kind of practice for marriage. I suppose, right.
Speaker 1: Did you ever care about the title? Though? You don't strike me as somebody who cared about being somebody's girlfriend and you just wanted to have a partner.
Speaker 2: That's not a title. What do you mean doesn't mean anything? Here's somebody's girlfriend. If anything has a comment on him.
Speaker 1: Say more, what does it say about him?
Speaker 2: Well, whoever that woman is says something about him about what his choices are.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Reese Witherspoon just said something very similar that I loved. I'd never heard that before. What was your best dating decade? When did you have the most fun dating? Gloria?
Speaker 2: It was a series of going steady. I mean, it wasn't like a period of time in which I was dating a lot of different people.
Speaker 1: They were chunks of relationships. Yeah, so do you hate me right now for asking you about your love life?
Speaker 2: No, No, it's just that I don't feel like I fit into what you're asking, but I'll try.
Speaker 1: I don't have any expectations. I'm just so curious. I like hearing your thoughts on relationships because I think your thoughts have no bounds.
Speaker 2: Well, in retrospect, only in retrospect. I realized that most of the few men I've felt close to were of a different race, and I think that that maybe helped them empathize with women who were striving to fit into a culture that did not always welcome them.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, you enjoyed learning about the differences between people.
Speaker 2: Well, it was just that they seemed more universal as people.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about current day feminism, How do you feel about recent history? Does it give you deja vu at all?
Speaker 2: I don't think so, but I mean what I'm seeing is limited. I don't know, but I think in the past the ideas of feminism were unusual enough so that there were more likely to be groups, you know, whether it was the National Women's Political Caucus or now now it seems more generalized, so people, women in offices, women in factories.
Speaker 1: Has the world developed in a way that you feel excited about or are you frustrated about?
Speaker 2: I certainly feel frustrated that we have an asshole in the White House, I mean terrible president. We in New York who know him are I think ninety six percent against Trump.
Speaker 1: It's a big stat I.
Speaker 2: Mean, Nixon and Reagan were not wonderful, but they seemed a little bit more representative.
Speaker 1: You say, if you aren't a feminist, it's like only having one eye open. You need to have both open to solve any problem. What I think is interesting is we're probably in the most woke, eye open period ever. But I'm wondering if you would also say that we're a little blind.
Speaker 2: I think we are still in a period in which say, women are raising children more than men, and that means that women as a generality are probably more aware of the world in certain ways then men in general, although it's dangerous to make that kind of generalization.
Speaker 1: Do you think about what the fourth wave of feminism looks like or feels like?
Speaker 2: Or no, I don't think in waves. How do you think we're sitting here with you and I just chatting books, movies, political candidates.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons I love coming over here is my childhood was spent sitting in my grandparents' living room talking about nothing for hours.
Speaker 2: What do you mean nothing?
Speaker 1: We would talk about politics and ideas, and well, that's not nothing, but we would also talk about absolutely nothing, Like we would talk about pizza and the weather, and it was just about being together. And I would sometimes have breakfast with Larry King and his friends and it felt very similar. And I haven't had that feeling until I came here and have spent time with you and Jill and Amy.
Speaker 2: What do you.
Speaker 1: Get from sitting in your office space because people come visit you all the time, you have so many visitors and just chatting.
Speaker 2: Well, we usually have some shared enterprise, something that we're trying to do or hoping to do, or some political campaign or something varies, Yeah, varies.
Speaker 1: How have you felt about the people that come into your life and ask you for things?
Speaker 2: I don't think I can generalize. It depends on who the person is and what the thing is, and you know, because it's an opportunity to help, which is good.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you why I'm asking. My favorite quote ever, I think is Shirley Chisholm's quote that service is the rent you pay for a room on this earth. I try to live by it that. Say it again, service is the rent you pay for a room on this earth. Oh and I really try to live by that. And I sometimes feel overwhelmed trying to be of service and live my life. I can't even imagine how you feel.
Speaker 2: Also means people are of service to you. It's not a one way street.
Speaker 1: So you feel like you've been able to maintain your personhood and your space amongst all the requests.
Speaker 2: Always Yeah, I mean, I think I'm lucky to have an apartment, for instance, which is very helpful. To have a space that you live in that belongs to.
Speaker 1: You right right, and you hide out. I know you love your bedroom.
Speaker 2: I've been here for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. What do you think about influencer culture? Is it a version of modern organizing?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. I mean, if it just means that you have an online presence, that's influential, right, Yeah, but it makes me nervous that it's measured in terms of online contacts.
Speaker 1: That the measure of a right number of followers, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Which doesn't seem like a good measure.
Speaker 1: It does connect people though in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what does follower mean? I mean Hitler had a lot of followers. Sort of value free, I mean it doesn't have content. It also seems like it's constructed in order to be saleable. Oh interesting, you know, because somebody with a lot of followers that can get some commercial good out of it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you remember I made you take the value bridge test, Susie Welch's value bridge, and it had the sixteen values. It's belovedness and luminance, and every question it would ask you about money, you would look at me and you would sad eye and you say money is so boring.
Speaker 2: Right, Money is neutral. It depends what its impact is I.
Speaker 1: Think you meant that and it really made me laugh. How would you define your sense of humor?
Speaker 2: Well, I think laughter is a very important part of culture. In Native American culture, there is a god of laughter who is neither male nor female, but just present. So laughter usually, not always, is value free.
Speaker 1: Do you find it to be true through the old adage that the best things in life are free?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, you know it's not free that I have an apartment.
Speaker 1: That's true, and you love this place. I don't know, right, that's true. It is women's history months and we are sitting in your living room where you have invited over women from almost every corner of the world. They've sat in the exact chair I'm sitting in. There are so many photos and knickknacks here. Are there any women that you haven't had in this space that you would have loved to have spoken with?
Speaker 2: Oh? I'm sure there are a lot, And there are some I've kind of lost because I lived in India and had such deep connection there. But I don't see them, and not all of them are still alive. Actually, it's kind of happenstance. I mean, we're sailing through life as through the ocean, and so who we meet and see is unpredictable.
Speaker 1: You made me think about your work as a journalist because, as you shared earlier, I asked you if you were writing to figure out what your experiences meant, and you said no, I was chronicling what actually happened. What keeps you so enrolled in.
Speaker 2: Hope because, as we keep saying, hope is a form of planning. If you don't have a hope for something, it's very unlikely to happen. It may not happen anyway, but it's more likely to happen if you have hoped for it.
Speaker 1: That is the most spiritual thing I've ever heard you say. How do you feel right now? What is it like to be you right now?
Speaker 2: I'm very grateful to have this apartment, though I have a safe space, I have friends and longtime associates who come and go. I am well aware that I'm not going to live forever. I mean, you know you can't deny that. Though it's not like I'm conscious of feeling I'm about to disappear. I feel lucky, you know, to be in a city I love, with friends I love, and a life that isn't rich but is kind of moderately secure.
Speaker 1: What do I have to look forward to at ninety two? Whatever the fuck you want. That's an amazing answer. This is sort of a hard question, and if you don't want to talk about it, it's okay. I'm curious what the most pain you have ever been in that was not physical? What was the hardest decade?
Speaker 2: It was probably when I was growing up looking after my mother, because being a small person looking after a big person is difficult for obvious reasons, and also her life was sad as it should not have been, because she should have had more of what she wanted in life was able to express as a journalist. I think that was probably the most difficult part.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting because you've actually been through so much in your adult life. You've survived breast cancer, you had several loves of your life pass away, you have dealt with tons of people heckling you and saying untruths, and still that remains to be the toughest time.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's no inequality like childhood to adult inequality, because you may be disempowered in almost every way.
Speaker 1: Do you think you ever recovered from it?
Speaker 2: I mean, I certainly have recovered in the sense of living a life I wanted to live. In retrospect, I probably didn't want to be again responsible for someone else's life by having children.
Speaker 1: But you were okay being responsible for yours.
Speaker 2: That you feel okay?
Speaker 1: You say, the primary thing is not that others know who you are, but who they are. Again, just to bring it back to the very beginning, that is such an obvious truth that I would have never thought.
Speaker 2: But who they are. I don't know that I know what I meant by that. Let just say it again.
Speaker 1: So I think it was in the context of little girls coming up to you or other women coming up to you. Oh, I see, And you said, it's not important that they know who I am, it's important that they know they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see, I see right.
Speaker 1: You know, in a world where we're constantly being sold our own identity back to us through algorithms and aesthetics, what do you think is the biggest obstacle to a woman truly knowing who she is today?
Speaker 2: Well, it's probably the tyranny of expectations of the people around her. If they're expecting her to be someone different from who she really is.
Speaker 1: It's very hard as a woman to not live into those expectations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're trying to live authentically and trying to get beyond that.
Speaker 1: Do you remember having inner turmoil about that, Like you so vehemently did not want to be married with children, and yet the world was telling you.
Speaker 2: Well no, I mean I kept assuming I had to, and I just kept putting it off.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it was more avoidance. Yeah, you said, I hope to live to one hundred. I've so loved being here. I never wanted to end. What is it that you would be most sad to leave Gloria?
Speaker 2: Waking up in the morning and contemplating a day and seeing you, seeing friends walking out in the street, just the daily things of life. Nothing big. I don't think.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because I know you love to travel so much, so it's the minutia of life.
Speaker 2: There's a time when I did travel and live in India and live in Europe and all of that. But I think that's more of time of exploring.
Speaker 1: That Thursday I have for exploration will be quenched one day. I'll want to be at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now I'm at home. I'm not traveling. I don't think I'm motivated to get on a plane. Yeah, at the moment.
Speaker 1: Is there any thing that you recognize in yourself today that you didn't when you were younger?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure there is. I'm sure when I was younger, I thought that I would get married or have to get married and have children because everybody else did. I mean I was just looking around me. Yeah, and it took me a while to understand. You know, people can live in different ways.
Speaker 1: Do you feel when you wake up at ninety two like the same girl that you were at twenty two?
Speaker 2: I don't think about it that way, but probably basically I am Okay.
Speaker 1: You said you want your funeral to be a feminist benefit. I didn't know that about you.
Speaker 2: Gloria. Well, we need benefits, you know, so why not?
Speaker 1: When did you come up with that?
Speaker 2: I think when Bella have sick died, what do you envision? Well, I'm not sure, and that should be up to whoever is here or not to me.
Speaker 1: So it'll be up to Amy.
Speaker 2: Right. But a meeting that is unconfined by religion, that everybody is welcome at and anybody who wants to speak or not speak is able to do that, and that people meet each other.
Speaker 1: I love hearing that because your friend Jill told me one time that experiencing a Gloria Steinham birthday party is one of the best things in the world because you have friends who are heads of state and famous actors and your favorite barista from down the street, and everybody is in one room. I imagine it being exactly like that. So your home is as much a part of your legacy as you are. In what way do you think you will have an open door policy even after you're gone.
Speaker 2: I own three floors, but there are two floors I don't own four or five that are independent individual women on them. If I can afford it somehow, I would like to own the whole house so I can leave it as a meeting place for women to have a place to stay, to have meetings, to you know, whatever it is. I saw in London a house like this, a brownstone that had a plaque on the outside left over from the suffrage era that I think was serving in that way. So I would still like to do that, and that would require that I am able to buy the top two floors.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I know that's the goal. You're so okay with me asking about your funeral and death and when I'm downstairs with you, I ask you about affairs and dating and taboo topics that people don't ever want approach.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know, is that true? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I can tell you when I interview people, they really don't want to talk about death.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean we're all talking about it in a kind of generalized way.
Speaker 1: Obviously, Why do you think you're okay talking about everything? There's nothing that scares you.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are things that scare me, but we're sitting here safely in a living room talking about you know, so why not?
Speaker 1: Besides Donald Trump? Nothing scares you? Right? So I am thirty five years old. If you could give me one piece of advice, what would it be.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess do what you love to do, at least as much and hopefully more than what you have to do.
Speaker 1: That's really beautiful. And what is your hope for little girls who are born in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: That they can live in a world where it's safe to be a female human being of whatever color we are, and where it's possible and practical to imagine being whatever you want to be, A president, a dancer, you know, whatever it is that you feel you want.
Speaker 1: Did you ever feel like you had limitations set or have you lived into all of the dreams that you had?
Speaker 2: No, I mean I had limitations, but they kept sort of moving off into the middle distance. You know, I didn't actually have to get married and have children. I didn't have to stay at home instead of living in India or you know, I mean, they just kept moving off.
Speaker 1: Gloria, this has been my favorite interview of all time.
Speaker 2: Thank you for this, No, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.