Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News. Welcome to the Daybreak Asia podcast. I'm deg Prisner. In the States, federal prosecutors have opened a criminal investigation into FED shared J. Powell.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: This is over the fed's renovation of its Washington, DC headquarters. The New York Times reported a key issue is whether Powell lied to Congress about the scope of this project. Well, the report prompted Powell to issue a video statement. He said the FED had been served grand jury subpoenas from the Department of Justice, while at the same time, Powell hit back at the probe. Here's Powell.
Speaker 3: The threat of criminal charges is a consequence of the Federal Reserve setting interest rates based on our best assessment of what will serve the public, rather than following the preferences of the president.
Speaker 1: That was fedshare J. Powell. Right now, we're seeing dollar weakness, with the Bloomberg dollar spot in decks down about two tenths of one percent. At the same time, we've got a rally underway in precious metals. Spot gold is up one and a half percent and silver is up four point four percent. At the moment, Japan is closed for a public holiday and that means the first time we're going to get any reaction to the Powell story reflected in US treasuries will be in the London session. For a closer look, Now at markets across the Asia Pacific as we begin a new trading week, I'm joined by Bloomberg's Leonting III. She is Managing editor for Asian Equities. Leonting joining from our studios in Singapore. Thanks for making time. Can we talk about the reaction that you're seeing to the Powell story being reflected in markets across the Asia Pacific.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people are debating, you know, the outlook for the fat independence. That's basically the biggest sort of focal point for investors right now. As you said, the dollar is slight as slightly weaker, and the US features also dipped. In fact, the futures reaction is actually a little bit bigger than in the dollar, and the pressure's metals are up for safe haven bid. So overall the question is, you know, this is definitely not a good look for the FED, for the US government, or for the US market as a whole. Although the reaction, the immediate reaction is not drastic, people are really questioning the kind of longer term structure issue, because this really challenges fed's independence. So the takeaway here is, you know, first of all, look at the noise level right if in the end we're looking at court appearances, stuff like that, and that will really have more of a repercussion for investors, causing a little bit more generis among global investors. And the longer term trend is really the d dollarization, and that has been happening even without the subpoena news. But you know, again, with the noise level heightening, I think there's going to be a bit of a speed up for US or global investors to shift some of their US assets and relocate outside of the US.
Speaker 1: Leon ting, let's talk a little bit about what's happening right now in terms of equity market action in the Asia Pacific. Right now, it's kind of a mixed picture, and I can understand that given the volatility that you just highlighted, but let's not lose sight of the fact that there has been a lot of positivity lately inequities in the Asia Pacific, especially where tech stalks are concerned. Now, South Korea, as you and I both know, has been upright spot, particularly for the chip makers. This is all about the buildout of artificial intelligence, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Indeed, if you look at a tech gauge for Asia Tech versus Nastaq one hundred, we're looking at a huge outperformance. Last I checked it was year to date the Asia gauge was up more than six percent, and that is compared to Nastak's gain of about two percent. We really haven't seen that kind of outperformance at the start of the year for a very long time. As you said, Korea is an outstanding winner. That's because evaluation is indeed cheap. Right even after a seventy percent gain last year, the valuation pe forward pevaluation is still at about ten times of ten times for the Cosby. That compares with twenty five times for the Nasdaq one hundred. And if you look at earnings potential, Korea cosby estimated earnings growth for the next twelve months is at more than seventy percent and that compares to about eighteen percent for the Max seven. So you can see the fundamental driver of earnings plus evaluation are really providing a tailwind for Korean stock.
Speaker 1: So the IPO markets have been very busy as well, not only on the Chinese mainland, but in Hong Kong, and a number of these IPOs are tied to tech, particularly again this area of semiconductors. What are we seeing at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so today we're seeing Omnivision, that's a chip design raising about six hundred and sixty million dollars. It's up not by a lot, but last a checked was up more than three percent. That's a continuation. We saw last week two AI large language model developers debuting, and both debut performed very well, I should say, and that was Minimax and Jipu, and that they actually came to the public market before Open Ai, which was also planning for an IPO. Overall, I think there is always a balance between you know, whether these IPOs would digress or divert money away from the existing shares. But in this case, I think there is still fresh money going into these deals, and these deals performing well is underpinning a further rally in the AI sector in China.
Speaker 1: So later in the week, as you know, we'll be hearing from TSMC. The company will report full quarterly earnings and also provide a forecast on capital spending for two twenty six. Last week we had the monthly revenue figures for TSMC, they came in above estimate, So I'm thinking that the market feels pretty good about where TSMC is with respect to earnings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for TSMC, we saw a slew of Wall Street analyst upgrades leading up to the earnings that will come out on Thursday this week. I believe we saw Morgan Stanley, we saw Goldman Sachs, and I think overall they're talking about how this tech trip maker, I should say, is really very well positioned in the global semiconductor semiconductor supply chain, just because the valuation for the company is actually not expensive and in any kind of environment. It also it still has to provide chips for all sorts of sort of demand, and the positioning is unbeatable according to those analysts.
Speaker 1: Are there any pieces of economic news in the coming week that have the potential to move markets, either in China, Japan or even Australia.
Speaker 2: I think overall it would be the kind of rate decisions, right Australia, Japan and China. I think there's a bit of a divergence in global central bank rate decisions. We're looking at Japan potentially, you know, hiking again and Australia potentially cutting again. Of course, the US FED may cut, but the schedule has been moved back a little bit because of the job stata that came out on Friday, which were a bit solid. So I think the kind of implication from the divergent central bank rate decisions will really play out in investors' mind. And for China there is also the NPC that's coming up in March, and the kind of reinforcement on the self reliance agenda, the development of the chip sector. You know, the competition again is the US AI and I think that that can continue to provide a tailwind for the AI and chip sector in China.
Speaker 1: Leonting will leave it there, Thank you so very much. Bloomberg's Leon Ting II. She is Managing editor for Asia Equities, joining from our studios in Singapore here on the Daybreak Asia podcast. Welcome back to the Daybreak Asia Podcast. I'm Doug Krisner. Japan is closed for a public holiday today. Nonetheless, investors are squarely focused on reports that Prime Minister Takeiichi will be calling for a snap election. The view is Takeichi will try to leverage her popularity to strengthen her coalition's grip on power, and that's where we began the conversation with Tobias Harris. He is the founder and principal at Japan Foresight. Harris spoke to Bloomberg TV host Paul Allen and April Holm.
Speaker 4: Thanks for joining us, son, wondering where you would place the odds of Prime Minister Takeiichi calling a snap election and she's performing very well in the polls at the moment. Is this a strategically useful time to strike them? What are the chances of getting a fresh mandate if she does.
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: I think the you know this, this came on very quickly, you know, as early, you know, as recently as really last Thursday. She was even saying that she was focused on getting the budget passed, which really is you know, job number one as far as the new Diet session is concerned. And you know, there were too many policy issues or too many things going on, and certainly the consensus seemed to be that we wouldn't see an election before April. April would really be the earliest. And so the story that broke late Friday and Yo Muri was I think caught everyone by surprise, and frankly, I think we should note there's been a lot of pushback, and not just from opposition parties. You know, we've had several reports over the weekend that Asotado, who of course is one of Takesi's biggest backers, does not think that an election is suitable at this time. We've had now, of course, the leader of the Democratic Party for the People to Tamaki Yutito, who you know, whose support is going to be essential for passing the budget, and really the deal that the LDP made with Tamaki was really the key to ensuring the budget was going to pass. He has said that if there's an election that he will not necessarily follow his promise of supporting the budget. So there's a lot of moving parts here. I don't think we can say it's one hundred percent guaranteed at this point that there's going to be an election.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how much public appetite is there for a snap election coming so early? And even if Sanai attacker I was successful and won a stronger mandate in the lower house, she still hasn't doesn't have a majority in the upper house, so they're going to be challenges anyway and getting her agenda through.
Speaker 5: That's I mean I think that really is one of the questions, really, you know, that has surrounded this entire debate about whether she was going to have a snap election, where of course he asked, you look at her overall headline approval numbers. They're great, they're strong, you know. But of course there's been lots of questions about what her coattails would actually be like, given that the LDP can no longer rely on the support of its longtime coalition partner Coomo, too, given some questions about the influence of the rise of right wing parties, particularly sansee Toe on some of the right wing vote that the LDP needs to bring back. So there were questions, I think about how the LDP might perform, But I think there was also the question of why an election, Why now? And I think if you look at opinion polls, the public has not convinced that an election is suitable at this time, and given that she was so adamant recently that no, there's too much to do, there's too much to focus on. I'm not thinking about an election now. For her to then turn around, I think she's going to face a lot of accusations of opportunism as this debate swirls in the next few days.
Speaker 6: In terms of priorities for Takaichi. Given the public's concerns about the cost of living, how would you say they are assessing the progress she's made on that front.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's really the other debate I think that's happening, particularly within the LDP, where you've had a number of voices say, you know, we can't move too quickly because ultimately we haven't really made an impact on the issues that people are most concerned about. We're still vulnerable on that front. You know that people are still feeling the impact of inflation. You're still seeing food prices rise, seeing another rise and rice prices recently. You know, all of that I think is still going to be weighing on people's minds. And if you add on top of that a feeling that this is just an opportunistic move, you know, she's trying to grab more seats while you know, while the going looks good, and also the fact that she then is putting her own budget at risk because frankly, you know, a February eighth election, a February fifteenth election, you you really only have you know, they need to get a budget done before the fiscal year starts in April. First, She's really going to be cutting that close, and it really is going to raise a lot of questions, and I think the opposition is going to be very quick to ask those questions. You know, what is she what is more important to her? You're doing things that help the public, you know, getting a budget done that supposedly has all sorts of things that's going to help the public deal with cost of living increases. Or is she worried about her political her political future first? And I think those questions are going to dog, you know, if she goes forward with this. I mean, those questions are going to be front and center.
Speaker 6: How is the spat with Beaijing affecting her political future?
Speaker 5: I think in the near term, I don't think it's hurt, you know, I think the public certainly, if anything, it's probably helped her numbers stay as strong as they have for as long as they have. I think that, you know, of course, the public, you know, does not view Japan as in the wrong here. I mean, polls have consistently shown that majorities think that there was nothing wrong with what Tacolai she said. You know, they're of course concerned about what Beijing's doing. Interestingly, and I think this is maybe a question for how people might vote. You know, there's a real age gap between how the public is responding to this dispute with China, where older voters are much more divided over you know, first whether they support what Takoichi said or whether Japan should be more conciliatory. Younger voters, who the LDP is really desperate to bring out in its favor and draw away from sanset, to draw away from the Democratic Party for the people, are much more overwhelmingly supportive of Takoichi. So it's interesting to see, you know, you know, one of her theories, you know, taking office was can I bring you know, Takiichi? Is she the person to bring some of these voters who've been attracted to sansee to back to the LDP. And maybe this is a sign that actually that that could work. But does that will she lose some of the older voters the LDP has relied on in recent elections. I think that's a question that the party is going to face going forward.
Speaker 4: Well, Tobias, your specialty is political risk and advice. I mean, what advice would you be giving to Sanaia tek Ag if you were asked about how to handle these expot controls from China and whether retaliation is even advisable, I think, you.
Speaker 5: Know, Japan doesn't necessarily have the same tools or the same desire to retaliate in the ways. You know that you know, China has been using its various levers to you know, to pressure Japan. I mean, I think ultimately, you know, Japan is going to have to do the kinds of things that it's been doing really for a long time, which is diversifying away from China. And that's not unfortunately, it's not a short term response to China. That's not really something that they can fix overnight. But we you know, we already saw that after the incidents in you know, twenty ten. In twenty twelve, you know, Japanese companies started diversifying. Japan as a whole, started diversifying away from rare earth's and finding other sources for rare earth and other critical minerals. That process is going to pick up, and just in general, I think if you look at surveys over the last several months, I mean corporate Japan, you know, there's not a whole lot of appetite for new investment in China, you know, I think, of course there's not a lot of appetite for decoupling either. But when it comes to deepening Japan's engagement, I mean, that appetite I think is not there. And I think there's you know, real sensitivity to the political risks in China and trying to find other markets, trying to find other places to go. And of course that also explains perhaps the interest that we've seen in deepening ties with the United States, even though that comes with its own risks as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was going to ask, to what extent do you think there's appetite for the Trump administration in terms of support for Takeichi, given how there are a number of fronts, foreign fronts that the US administration, including Venezuela, is having to look at even closer now.
Speaker 5: I think that phone call between Trump and Takoichi last year, you know, certainly was a sign that this was not going to be an issue that the US is going to be invested in at the highest levels. I mean, we've seen messages of support from the embassy in Tokyo and from other parts of the administration, but certainly at the presidential level, at the veriest highest level, they're not investing political capital and showing a lot of support for Takigi. And of course you have the prospect of the President going to China in April. That of course, as far as Asia is concerned, that maybe is you know, absolutely front of mind more than any other issue. But yes, and then in the immediate term there are things that are just taking much more attention and Japan in a lot of ways maybe is on its own I mean, and again that can be overstated. We're going to see i think this week with the defense mister Quozmisin he'll be in Washington, finance mister Katsuyama will be in Washington talking about the supply chain resilient. So there's I mean, there's cooperation there, there's going to be messages of support. But when it comes to actually, you know, really throwing US weight behind Japan and it's just and trying to get China to back down, that's not something I expect that we'll see from the United States.
Speaker 1: That was Tobias Harris, founder and principal at Japan Foresight, speaking with Bloomberg TV host Paul Allen and April Hong here on the Daybreak Asia Podcast. Thanks for listening to today's episode of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia Edition podcast. Each weekday, we look at the story shaping markets, finance, and geopolitics in the Asia Pacific. You can find us on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Podcast YouTube channel, or anywhere else you listen. Join us again tomorrow for insight on the market moves from Hong Kong to Singapore and Australia. I'm Doug Prisner, and this is Bloomberg