Speaker 1: On today's episode the Command Center Podcast, we talked that rushing attack.
Speaker 2: Man offensive line.
Speaker 1: Those boys that smelled like Bacon got after JD five with the first touchdown was awesome. We break down the running back room, We talked Bengals recap, who won, defense stood out, and then we preview the Baltimore Ravens game and the position battles that are goings aside the fifty three man roster that all starts right now. Welcome to the Command Center Podcast. I'm Locan Pulson here with Santana Moss and Fred Smooth.
Speaker 2: Hey doing Hey, feeling good dude?
Speaker 1: The legend of the game, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes it was. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: It's really just an omage to the old people, you know.
Speaker 2: I just happen to be one of those old people. I enjoyed that. This, uh, the ownership wants to show homage the people. I think is mostly appreciated. I appreciate it. Really, it was really for my key is to enjoy I enjoyed it a good.
Speaker 3: Time through their leans, just damn seeing I especially because my youngest dead was there. She's never seen me play football like that, so for them for her to see me get appreciated.
Speaker 2: That meant a lot to him. Man, And it don't go without saying, that's cool.
Speaker 4: I was laughing because I came in the sweet looking for you, saw your kids and there and I'm like, and then I saw you with that flap like, oh there you go down?
Speaker 1: What did you so? I was saying, I was sitting right in front of him. Listen.
Speaker 2: You should see the look on Logan's face. He would not. He said, I look, I'm trying to look through it like that right here. Don't stop listen between Logan and London. It ain't It's only right though.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: You one of those guys.
Speaker 4: Man, it's all day every day, Like I swear, it's not a person I bump into and they were like, it's freend like that every day and I tell him, I say, look, man, I would love to see this guy do stand up because every day that's what I feel like I'm going through. And I'm listening to that. He brings new material. I don't know if he's sitting home on his couch daring and down. Dude comes with fire every day. So you know, I mean, bro, but you got to think about it, man, not only being a legend as a football player in this area, they just love to bump into you and hear you talks Mac. That's what everybody wants to see Fred for like when when they see you smooth.
Speaker 1: And you go from there.
Speaker 4: So it's just funny, man that everybody loves the fact that they know you're gonna give him something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's uh. I was talking to Kerry Campbell and Kendrick Olson and they were kind of talking about oh, like you know those smoodisms and they're the same ones then, yeah, twenty years ago. So you can tell he's running and everyone's all doing will pop up.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, the floor is the floor. I'm like, Michael, tell you know that, the floor. So yeah, it's one they're staying in circulation. But you know, I just like the lab and I like that. I like for people to lab. And I think I've always.
Speaker 1: Been doing a really good job of that, by the way now.
Speaker 3: And I think people always feel easy up to come to me because I have been the approachable player no matter what, we have a conversation with you, because people don't forget.
Speaker 1: They never forget these things. So we had like an appearance here like one of the last days of training camp, and we had to go over to the suite down right there, and I always get nervous going in there because I'm like, uh no, these people really want to talk to you. And Fred walks in two feet down. How were you, sir, bam do such a good job of that, Like you do such a good job of being like making people feel comfortable here. I am, Oh, you don't know me. I'm friend smooth, Like it's very natural for you. Obviously you've had a lot of pride.
Speaker 3: I just like for people because they kind of feel intimidated when they see us. So I want to let them know I got two feet on the ground like you now you're doing Like once you break the ice, then they'll start to come and gather, and so I try to I'm good at breaking the ice very quickly.
Speaker 1: So, Tanny, you said you have to see him way with a flag? Right? Yeah, how would you rate his flag? Right? I'm gonna give you one of his looks.
Speaker 3: Well, Hey, it's crazy because they caught me by surprise because I just asked, we're smooth, yeah, and then I.
Speaker 2: Looked they like the legend of the game, and that like what I'm like that is he okay?
Speaker 1: He said. Like. The other thing that got me was like, you know, usually kind of wave it so that it doesn't tangle up it up.
Speaker 3: Well, you know I did Danduake Macniculotte from the Heck South, Jim Dugg and class of a flag waving.
Speaker 1: You know, you know what's wild to me? The best, My favorite part of the night. You just finished waving and Jason was there with me on the sidel and he comes up to Jason's like, you've never seen anybody waving flag better than miss, Like like didn't even miss up being just straight out the gates.
Speaker 3: Listen, man, if you don't believe in yourself in you gotta Zoom's company.
Speaker 4: My part was my favorite part was just to know when the girl started talking.
Speaker 1: To me, Oh yeah, it's like you wanted to hear he will I say, dog this dude here, What other.
Speaker 3: Place can you hear thousands of people say your name? If that's the only one place that can happen at So sometime when I get that urge to get that is that fix?
Speaker 2: You cannot get the euphoria that that brings.
Speaker 3: I remember when we was playing and I would make a play and it was six seventy thousand at this time, and the groundould starting to shake a little bit. I was just a little tear with you, and that was like, I need moneys, I need to make more plane, so just to go out in front of the crowd of him and to most people, they think they're moving, but the people that know, they know, so.
Speaker 1: I just I love it. It was kind of funny that right when she started talking to you, and I'm like, dude, man, oh god, all right, So yeah, congrat spread. That's awesome. You definitely deserve it. Got a couple of housekeeping things. I'm on Twitter Logan Pulse in the NFL Ye check it out, posting.
Speaker 3: One of the hottest twitters right now going excuse me Twitter for I mean a.
Speaker 1: X notice Twitter, that's right. And then we got thanks again for the People's points, People's Choice Podcast nominations. Really appreciate that we're there because of you guys and fred Man Taylor Swill. I'm a little disappointed drop that heat felt they felt us coming. Man.
Speaker 2: They hated precisely at the right time. Have you ever been hated all precisely at the right time?
Speaker 1: Because I hate I think we all have.
Speaker 2: Actually yes, Now you got to just take your when they come in. That fine, Like I told you, we haven't lost together.
Speaker 3: It's fine, all right, But listen, when I was sitting at home going through my Instagram, see these two brothers, Taylor swil you're gonna do what the week I looked, I'm like, I gave you smooth, like come on now we if we voting, And it.
Speaker 1: Was like a cultural moment like it was everywhere.
Speaker 2: Women are all around a miracle.
Speaker 3: Paul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what there Kelsey and the Swift home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess what I've seen Our dreams just crumble right there. I said, you know what, I'd have got my eye black before. I ain't black, So you gotta be more like me. I ain't have my hoes up high. Surprise me.
Speaker 2: Oh that's what gonna do? You know what I'm saying, and look it up, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not gonna It's a good question for the fans, obviously, Taylor Swift is one of the most famous people in the world. Is there someone we could have on this podcast that's a Commander fan?
Speaker 2: Get what Commanders fan?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I know they ain't gonna be on the level of Tap.
Speaker 4: Not even a Commander's fan, because you got to think about it, she's not really technically a fan.
Speaker 1: She's in the family.
Speaker 2: She married.
Speaker 1: It is. So we just got to get a.
Speaker 3: Person that we can say that's from this area or all right, all right, good or nearby.
Speaker 1: Little bit.
Speaker 3: You know what about Michael Phillips, No, the fish Philips can't do.
Speaker 1: It, dude, I mean he's not He's Baltimore, Baltimore and me, you know, but I mean he dude, Like she's a she's a megastar. Yeah, Like we gotta be thinking bigger than that.
Speaker 4: All right, we got mega stuff. We gotta bring Joey and back to the Wizards until.
Speaker 1: Down. You know, Jordan's magic magic would be a magic but he parted.
Speaker 3: Likely they'll be like he obligated. We need, like somebody, feel like I'm gonna do it because I won't need Martin Lawrence from the d m V.
Speaker 1: But the other one was the Herd Junior Nascars.
Speaker 2: We got, Damn.
Speaker 4: I feel like we had him on a couple of shows, so I don't know, like if they would look at it as well.
Speaker 1: He's done shows before.
Speaker 3: Matthew McConaughey, the old guy, Jeffrey Wright, the actor Jeffrey Wright.
Speaker 1: Who else would be? I mean Joe bur He today, Kevin Durant.
Speaker 2: Kevin Durant, Barenthal.
Speaker 1: But but just leave a comment if there's something that you think we could have on the show.
Speaker 2: Could make us compete against.
Speaker 1: How would he his wife? Do you know?
Speaker 2: I don't know him person, I've been around him.
Speaker 1: I don't know Obama. I met him. I met him once and because he was in d C.
Speaker 4: He actually did one of his his You know how they have like the whole presidential thing when they're getting ready to run for president, they have like they have little parties here and there, like the families who your fund raises.
Speaker 1: Me and Sean.
Speaker 4: Springs did want and he was the he was the governor in Chicago, Yes, yeah, And he literally sat there, had a square, taught us about Chicago playing us that season and we ended up beating Chicago.
Speaker 3: And I remember men smooth men men's uh Springs Men. Springs was sitting there telling him he was gonna take him down. I mean he he knew extras and those like. It was like in the back of this, I would love to just be a cricket in the room.
Speaker 2: The CEO bluefoot in that type of environment, because this is that was an environment, that's his environment. Sean was in a suit.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know how.
Speaker 2: I came up most definitely.
Speaker 1: Fresh at the mall. He was suited and booted.
Speaker 3: I was in that thing, and some I think I had some what you call those true religions on us.
Speaker 1: I look, yeah, So leave a comment let us know. I mean, that's not a bad one, Fred, So maybe we'll get there with that. And then we have a live show at the Muni this Friday, August twenty second. Start the football season off with us. Make sure you get there early. That's a really nice venue. And that's Muni on eight o'clock at the Muni. Okay. And then most importantly, most importantly, if you're buying tickets to a game, but we know you all are, buy your tickets here now, thank you there, Or if that doesn't work for you, use the link of the description. Try that out.
Speaker 3: How you gotta do is put your phone on photo, put it right there. The information gonna come just like it magic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, perfect, boom, it is done, yep, and then you get what you get your tickets there. So Logan's on Twitter, People Choice Podcast nomination live show at the muniy on August twenty second, that's this Friday, and then get your commander's tickets through us. It really helps us out. Thank you. All Right, now we've got some review to do, a little bit of news. So coming out of the preseason game, obviously the rushing attack was tremendous, really impressive, but also there's news about Brian Robinson Jr. And so people say, hey, Logan, what do you know what's going on? I know what coach Dan Quinns knows. We have it written down here. I'm just going to read it. This is what we know. Ap and I met with Brian yesterday Sunday and told him that we would hold him out of the game tonight. There's just a lot of moving parts this time of year. These things take place. I'll give you an update once there's one to share with you. Yeah. So again, like I've been a part of teams where similar stuff has happened. Similar stuff has happened to me too in pieces games, or they helped me out of games because they don't want to get hurt, because they want to cut you or whatever. I'm not saying that's what's happening. Here. But this is not totally uncommon.
Speaker 3: This is football one on one, Busney's one on one. I have seen this so much. It doesn't nothing shocks me. And I don't know just because we at the least and.
Speaker 1: We kind of numb to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this is not really uh what we would Kyle be new.
Speaker 1: This is what I can say.
Speaker 3: I and this is why coach just continue to be dick guy his communication to the team.
Speaker 1: I say, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: We don't like to turn on ESPN and found out what's going on in that building. Like I love a coach that stands right in front and say this is what happened, because we don't need a coach to be nice to us. We need a coach to be honest to us. And when you honest like that, it frees us up to be who we gonna be. So when you stand up there and say this is what's going on, your trust?
Speaker 2: You got?
Speaker 1: I got you trust? Yeah? Yeah, And I think it's a right professional human way to handle it. So good for them. But he robbed, didn't play, and that's what we know about it, so not a lot. But what we did know is that Sea Rod played Bill Crosskey Merritt played and those guys played pretty darn good. Yeah, So like what is it so looking at the running back room just at a high level from the game, then we'll talk about the implications for the season. What did you think of those guys last same I thought.
Speaker 4: I thought that even going into the game, were just knowing that they was going to sit be robbed. I said, one, you know, I don't want to jump out there and just talk about what how well they ran the ball.
Speaker 1: Just thought the.
Speaker 4: Guys up front man this game, offensive line and some clear lanes that it was undoubtedly that they had to go out there for that way. Because these guys went out there and put on a great performance.
Speaker 1: I'm totally with you on that.
Speaker 3: When then I think the thing you brought up is Rob is like they just say, why have two SUVs in my front yard? I don't need two SUV's. If Rob is an SUV and I got Bill Meyer is a sports car, I got two different cars. So then you got and then you got your boy Zach, then I got. So it's it's different. Everybody do a different job a different way. And I like the way that Rodriguez has trimmed up like.
Speaker 1: He's he looks good.
Speaker 3: He's running with a spring in his step. And like you said, those guys up front, they won that battle. They pushed guys around. They open holes for whoever touched the ball. And we talking first Green, Sixth Street, and third Steed.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know, like you talk about the guys up front, I think Cliff also did a really good job of, like with some of the game playing stuff, like running that influenced trap. I know that's the player that's kind of souping the NFL at the moment. That's the one where Sea Red has that big explosive play. They run the countertrait right, it's out of a three by one, so three receivers to the left, they're just turn into the right. Yeah, they have to match the formation, the corners, the run support player. It should be an advantage for us. And obviously, you know Chris Paul Andrew Wiley did a great job getting out in front. John Bates is a great block on that place. Dude. Yeah, dude, he's looking like he's again like just mature it. This is one of those things, man, I try to tell fans all the time. It's like they come to one practice they see one thing and it's like, man, you know, Conny, dude, it's a growing time.
Speaker 3: And let grandma cook That's how they stole it, dude, d Let Grandma cook Man be patient.
Speaker 1: Because his movement skills are silly.
Speaker 3: He's at he's very at the letty and quit. First run actually was Deebo Sammons. Yeah, let's be honest. And it just shows me where the head of the Cincinnati Bengals defense he is. I told y'all he's an alert guy. Debo's alert guy. Learned him at the huddle, alert him moving. Yeah, you don't let him run across the floor.
Speaker 1: They didn't alert him though, they.
Speaker 2: Didn't learn him, not one. And guess what he did, turned the corn turn.
Speaker 1: He looked fast.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, that's what we've been saying all the while, like people get so caught up into the being in shorts and oh.
Speaker 1: I don't see what what they see in d Bo.
Speaker 4: We ain't see none yet because you're not going to see what d boat until somebody. And that's what he did. As soon as he got the ball. You know, I looked at a friend of mine, I'm like, this is what he brings. The element that he brings it the game.
Speaker 1: And it's one of those things too where it's like the physicality, the explosive and I think fans have a hard time categorizing him because he's not a true like outside wide right and so he's athlete. Yeah, and so final way to get him touches on choice routes, on jet sweeps, you know, design hands offs. I think that's gonna be a big part of it. But you know, going back to the backs, like it was cool, just like I really like se Rod, like his his story last year especially was great because like he got cut, he got.
Speaker 2: He kept he kept holding on.
Speaker 1: Kept holding on, and then he came into training camp, like you said, fred in really good shape. He like in the Burgundy and Gold scrimmage last week, man, he was one of the more impressive players. The physicality, the past protection, he's just stuck with it. And my journey was really similar to that, like we'll not take no full it's and it's awesome. It shows a stick to it in this it shows a professionalism and it was great to see him kind of get And again I'm not saying he's going to start. I don't. I have no idea what's gonna happen, but to take advantage of the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's all you can do in the preseason. Like I said, some dreams are going to end next weekend. Yeah, some dreams just thrown. Yeah, And it's all about who willing to say no, I'm not I'm not giving up this spot.
Speaker 1: And that's what he's saying.
Speaker 3: And you know, when it comes to this, being slotted sometimes have to do with how much money do you.
Speaker 2: Make compared to how much money the guy behind you make?
Speaker 1: No, I think. And then so obviously ce Rod, I think his outing was great. I think he had six carries or what do you have six carries for sixty two yards? Yeah, so that's a really that's a heck of a night. And then the guy that just keeps popping up, honestly is Bill Crosskey maror Man.
Speaker 2: Dollar Bill, dollar Bill.
Speaker 1: That you call him?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, dollar dollar, dollar bill.
Speaker 3: May I like that listening a little bit the thing about dollar Bill by stocking him, by stocking dollar Bill, because one I like unique situations. And when I say unique, his unique situation is I didn't get to play my senior year all. Guess what I did when they say I couldn't play on the team. I practiced with the team. Then I got to play in the All Star Game and went got MVP of it. Low tread milege on your tire. It reminds me similar to what happened to Tom Brady. Tom Brady was not a full start in Michigan. He was high drew, he was not a food so when he got to New England, they didn't know what they had. I think it's one of them unique and I love unique situation. This guy got birthed, I mean burst, low center of gravity, run behind his past. He's explosive, I like everything. He breaks your tape and he likes to answer the challenge with a smile on his face.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 1: No, I love it, man.
Speaker 4: I think one of the things that kind of led them to kind of, you know, to going in the direction that the end is because you have that kind of talent in the backfield, and he's young, and he gives you something that you've kind of been looking for in your backfield, you know what I mean. So when you have that, you have, like I said, you have guys that come on kind of like fit the same mold. You want to say I got to make a room, and it's not you know, it's not. I guess you can say anything bad for the one guy who they have to you know who, who's who's going to be probably going to demand that left out. When you have a talent, like like you call them dollar Bill, and you have the other guys out there which you are younger, and you see a bright future with your team with him, you have to go out there and and you know, do.
Speaker 1: What you do.
Speaker 3: I think I got to give me a shirt with a dollar bill on it with a face George Washington.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to George Washington, hair on dollar bill.
Speaker 1: And I think I want to give you credit because I think you said maybe Tennis of it, like Isaiah Pacheco, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't see it, but when you see him in person, he's got that kind of high knee.
Speaker 2: High knee.
Speaker 3: Then it's that one vicious cutting. It ain't like you needs a pity patter. It's a one stamp and go. And I was like, this dude runs aggressive because it's two type of running backs. It's running backs that father the ground, meaning they feed him by touching them and the glide. Then it's the guy that tear ground up. He's definitely a tear ground He's a tear ground up guy. Put it like this, if he was a deer, we could track him in the woods, Like, no problem, we could track him.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm seeing to a name many cut you off.
Speaker 4: When you're watching these guys, you can you can almost see the training camp in them. Like I'm watching them run and I'm like them legs are kind of like beat up, but it's training camp legs like, and I'm like, they ain't they bursting, but they ain't giving us that week one burst.
Speaker 1: I don't want to see. So for them to go out there.
Speaker 3: And look that good, knowing that they just went through the vigorous practices, you know, it was great to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they are just feel like I have to say, is with Bill Crossky Marrit He's done a great job in camp, he's done a great job in the preseason. But I think he's just an important reminder that he's a rookie still and they're still a little bit of development that needs to happen, Like you know what I'm saying, Like there's a couple of runs in there where you're like, oh, don't bounce that that's gonna happen with young players. So I I'm kind of I feel like I got to protect him a little bit, you know, because fans are like, Oh, he's gonna be the next so and so, so and so. But it's like he's a good player. Yeah, he's got he still got some growing to do, and I just feel like we just got to.
Speaker 2: I also want to tell fans this because I hear this.
Speaker 3: I love sports radio, but sometime i'm I do sports radio, but sometime I can get Nash all right, I'm so tired of here. He's a seven round draft pick. We don't expecting that. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: This league is not about where you get drafted.
Speaker 3: I'm so you cannot pick somebody's value by what around they went in. My value is about who's on my team and what can I bring to my team. And it don't matter when I got drafted, because I hear it all the time. We can't expect nothing from him still around here, Yes we can, because I haven't expected something from undrafted free agents.
Speaker 2: It don't matter how you get here, is matter how you stay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's definitely making a good impression. I think the other guy that I mean, I just love watching him practice. I love his process, I love his professionalism is Jeremy McNichols. Yeah, Like he just is like a pros pro man, you know, like in past protection he runs hard plays teams like and and and Cliff said this, like, so you're talking about the depth of the running back room. He's like, all six or seven guys in there have a place in the league, right. They all have dynamic trades, all have things that do really well guys when they have their opportunity to play at a high level. It's a deep group and we just got to see how it shakes out. I think that is the So first off, that's very kind. Like when a coach says, hey, man, like we've got six dudes that'll play, that deserve to play in the league. I think that speaks to.
Speaker 3: It goes a long way because he's out of coaches out there, they listening, and you know, I always tell people everybody injury away from being on a rosters that they had no idea they think they was gonna be on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I mean I look at McNichols, and I mean he's had a he's had a very he's been. He's been himself. You know, he's done nothing I think too. Yeah, very consistent. And and you look at that room and I think you said this, Fred, like you get just those three guys right there that are kind of similar versions like yeah, but they each have like a like if you look at the matting rating, they're all pretty close. But Sea Roy's got the power, Bill's got the birds. Yeah, and then you look at uh Heckler and his ability, he got the wheelball. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But they all play special teams. Listen, they all play team. It was only one guy in the running bed room. They didn't play special team.
Speaker 1: And I think that speaks to again, even the back like Kaz Allen and Felton, like both those tweeners. Yeah, they they catch the football. Well, they played teams. So it's a really interesting, really deep group. Maybe he doesn't have like.
Speaker 3: The high ends the high yeah, but I think you make up for it with dolphins with committee too.
Speaker 1: You win my committee. The committee things excellent for sure. Yeah. So that's the running backs. The other thing I wanted to just talk about here real quick is Deebo Samuel's role. We got a little taste of it we talked about a little bit. Yeah, it seems like. So just as an example, like if if the running backs directly get I don't know, fifteen carries in the game, yeah right, or seventeen carries, Debo's getting.
Speaker 2: He gotta get touches. He gotta get touches.
Speaker 4: We had to get a huge volume of touches, Like you got to say to yourself going into the game, I gotta give him at least fifteen attempts. Yeah yeah, and no matter how attempt don't have a pass.
Speaker 1: Run yeah, run attempts. Yeah, because he's your joker.
Speaker 2: He's your joker.
Speaker 3: And guess what everything he could do fail to and kas Allen can do like from play slot receiver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's a more proven and yeah, he's.
Speaker 3: A more different it's a different it's a different level a vehicle, but the same type of vehicle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So I'm excited to see what he does. And then I think the using me said the Debo was the joker. The ultimate joker to me is JD five.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, he's some something to be answer to, like.
Speaker 1: Because he's gonna get touches in the run, Like, dude, look like if we just talk about the touchdown real quick, like they're in man coverage. They're in drop eight. Yeah, so nobody was open, so oh yeah, they drop eight. So it's there's a plug, there's a middle high safety. There's a plug player in the middle of the field. He works for his progression. And like I said this on another show I did, but like everyone's been freaking out about the man coverage and practice, like, if you play man coverage, you will get beat like your box to him, No, don't.
Speaker 2: You ever do that to a running quarterback.
Speaker 1: And so he just by him being on the field, he's gonna regulate what you run like. And guess what.
Speaker 3: The older he gets, right, the older he gets, the more he not gonna have to sickond guess how they're attacking him.
Speaker 2: And every time it never feels.
Speaker 3: I remember I played against Mike Vick when we were young peerless Price wide receiver. They had these group of wiree receivers. Me and Chat were like, don't you worry about that. We got there. They were like we going man to man like that might be a mistake. Coach, why you think that?
Speaker 1: Friend?
Speaker 3: Like because we playing Michael vic He was like, as long as y'all take the wire receivers out. We're gonna put everybody uh in the box for Warick done. And this in a game, I said, okay, do what you want. I remember running on the gold route with peerless turn around and Mike Vick running right beside. This is why I say don't play man against because if we were playing zone, I could have probably helped make that tackle game tackle ten years ago. So you you're gonna play the price when you won player against the quarterback that know how to breathe coverages to a guy that could take off in the drop of a dime like that, he will break the wheel of your defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So obviously that was kind of I think the bright spot of the off of the offensive game plan was the offensive line. I'm glad you brought that uptown of the run game and obviously Jane Daniel scoring. Now let's talk a little bit about the defense. Anything you wanted to kind of just high level. We'll start with the defense.
Speaker 3: Yes, the big nasties up front wise, all the rest of these guys, they was on Joe Burrow in.
Speaker 1: That goal line stands too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kawn Martin making it kun might be stepping to I'm ready for the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 4: Tell you that coming out of him, it looks like everything just slow, slow, slow for him now, like its just nothing's moving fast.
Speaker 1: He had we had an end game interview with him, and he said, like he feels super comfortable because this is the position he played coming into college and his first couple of years of college. He actually thinks of himself as a safety.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, most definitely, and he should like his mental is meeting his physical and.
Speaker 2: Now he's ready.
Speaker 3: But when I seen that defensive line, the things they was doing the Borrow, like, I only wonder how Cincinnati fans feel because they had to be watching that game, like, what are we doing? Well, he's doing, get down, get down, get out of the game.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed what they did, flipping him on his.
Speaker 3: Neck like they was on full attack of Joe Burrow, and so they want we won the trench warfare yesterday and I was when we was on the field. Now, we always talk about how big Ken Lawy is. We talk about it. He's a big ol' Hall, big old Hall. But that a Marus meals dude.
Speaker 1: Jason and I were just talking about that because he was on the sideline with me for the game. He looks so he's just like it looks real. He's a different cut of human being.
Speaker 3: The dude six eight, three fifth and I say three fifty is being nice.
Speaker 1: I think he's like three seventy. But he's also skinny. He's like he's not like fat. Yeah, I was like, he's just a huge So like I was watching the past rush and I think Holmes had a really good game. Yeah, but he's trying to bowl MARYU Smims. Wow, and it looks like Amarus Smims go to take a little name. But and Holmes had a great game. He he bullied the center, bullied the guard. But like you got gotta read the scouting report.
Speaker 2: I've been say wrong guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think our defense played well.
Speaker 4: I think what stood out to me just you know, I was looking for the young guy Aimos to be out there tweaked the ham Yeah, and you know, coach said that they actually want him to. He wanted to play, but they had to hold the mica like, bro, you don't have to go out there so much.
Speaker 1: But still the secondary looked it together.
Speaker 4: You see those guys communicating, getting to their different you know, I guess you can say coverages and stuff like that, And just I saw them playing together up front and in the back end.
Speaker 1: That's what you want to see, especially in the preseason.
Speaker 4: Like I take more so you know, when I'm watching these games, I'm not watching for who's you know, you're going to see guys flash, But I'm watching for what are we doing as a team as a unity, how we're playing together. And like I say, I'm paying more to the defenses because being a receiver, that's what we have to worry about. And so I'm always watching our defense to see if I was a receiver, what would I see?
Speaker 3: Where would I see they win weakness? Where would I find the weakness?
Speaker 4: And we all knew last year the run game was that we couldn't stop nobody running. And you saw it up front at times, you know what I mean, you didn't want to believe it, but you saw it. What I saw this so far in the preseason and just yesterday, to me, I mean, just just raise my eyebrows to see the d line playing, to see the linebacker play behind it. But not only that, when they wasn't, you know, running the football, what did we do in the back end while those guys was rushing the pass like it was times when Burrough went throw the ball now and couldn't do it, you know what I'm saying. So that's what that's the bright spot. We want to watch the defense, how it will they played together, and how that if that was a regular game, they would have been off the field three.
Speaker 3: And Outogamen did a good job on that was.
Speaker 1: A perfect chase. Was perfect, come dude, So I said this. I was talking to Jason about this. So we were standing directly even with the ref like, I'm here, the refs pritann Is, but he's like up on the sideline right there. So the ball comes by, I'm right here right there's a little bit of a bump, but nothing that I would have called. And yeah, none of the ref throws the flag. And I was like, that's weird. There's nothing he could have possibly seen. They go to the jumbo tron and there's like a little poll and everyone's like, oh, that must have been what he's called. I am telling you from where we were standing, there is no way he could have seen it. So like for me, it felt kind of like.
Speaker 3: And enjoyed seeing get up to the challenge. This is the best way I receiving football.
Speaker 1: And so like that that penalty obviously gives him three yards. He sends the drive and uh.
Speaker 2: We still almost got a three in that did they have to go forward on fourth down?
Speaker 4: But you also have to think about this too, and this is like only I think it only happens to us, And like I said, this preseason and those things could be called. But if that's not Burrow, we don't get that horse callar call because it went really really a horse callers.
Speaker 1: He got him on the shoulder first, then he.
Speaker 3: Put his hand on his back, which technically I don't think I saw him going to call inside the show. The pad went in the shirt of the pocket anyway, So that one. Then the fumber one when the ball is not in your hand but you still push it out fumble.
Speaker 1: That's a fumble. So that's that's us. And then the one that you call you talking about that bump. I'm like, is this preseason?
Speaker 2: And are we home? Are we home? People don't do home cooking no more they do.
Speaker 4: No, it's only us man they do.
Speaker 3: You know sometime when you walk in the person house, you can just smell food in there. With that you mean cooking them days over it. You don't see nothing had those days. We never get the home cooking man he got. All we see is somebody on our ring dropping that bag out and taking out running.
Speaker 1: That's all we see. Oh my god. Yeah. Freddie talked about Trents warfare specifically. One guy that stuck out to me was kenlt Man, like in that goal line stand, like his ability to get his hands on people's shoulder pads, get them extended, he controls them and like he literally like threw a guard like direct, like headfirst into the ground, like and I was like, who is this guy? Who is this? I like?
Speaker 4: I like the fact too, when you when you're talking about that before we see the actual outcome of what he's going to be this playing weekend and week out.
Speaker 3: It's something that he said earlier, this this camp. I'm not sure if it was a camp.
Speaker 1: I heard it. I heard it from either JP Feely or one knows.
Speaker 4: They was reporting talking to them and they were saying that they was already kind of gave him him the nod of hey man, you know, how does it feel to be you know, you know, really put some of your best word.
Speaker 1: He's like, no, I'm not there yet.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm looking forward to showing now that with this opportunit only that they given me here, I'm for the play on my best football because I'm ready for it.
Speaker 1: So to have a guy that's.
Speaker 4: Mentally focused on being able to be that guy that the team thinks of him, man, that's what I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 1: And just now you've seen it in the game showing and I know it's so early still to kind of give him this, but like everyone was kind of like, oh, you paid him a lot of money, is that the right thing to do? Like seeing him now, it's like he's here.
Speaker 3: Favorite dollars you cannot buy size and the griss and violence, silence, control violence, you can't do it.
Speaker 1: And his and like we had a drawn paying for the interview for the big one hundred cast of the game, and it was good. I mean he was almost got hit by the camera truck on the side, almost got hit. Monday Night.
Speaker 3: The one thing you know about the Monday Night crew, all the balls and whistles will be out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But Durrand, who's played with a lot of good football players, is like he has done stuff that I've never seen before practice. He is a physical freak and you can see some of that, Like he was only in I think for eight plays, nine plays, but his ability to flash yes and bull and play with power. I'm like, if this coaching staff can continue to draw that out of him and put him in good positions to be successful, I think we.
Speaker 3: Brought him in here to to walk off the bus in one city and that's Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: To put that work on it, put the hands on him.
Speaker 3: Listen, Philadelphia, the people decide kings. They believe inside, they believe in turning them a COUI vect into a guard, Like I thought this guy was gonna be lined up, and then I seen drum pain in the game and the rum pain was playing the d tackle and he was playing on the side of him. I said, Oh, so they gonna match him up mostly between a guard and the inside shade of a tackle.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be hell on him. Yeah. And then you talk about trick like, dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that powerful A powerful vegetarian. Powerful is he vegetarian? He's a veget He's an elementary.
Speaker 4: Like sometime you see him out, Dad, you be like, like the.
Speaker 3: Walking guy, Like it's the feet because his feet I think he wear like an eighteen. That boy running McDonald's out there all right down when I tell you, but when I tell you when he get out to that quarterback Arkansas guy, when I tell you about the Marcos.
Speaker 1: Heavy hands man, Yeah, you can just tell, like like when he puts his hands on offensive lineman like uh so Orlando Brown had a pass up against him. It's the horse collar. You could tell, like you could almost see his eyes on the on the field go like, oh, I didn't know, I didn't know. And so like having that guy in the in the in the roller Dex and then Daurrance armstrong man for whatever reason, when you line him up over a guard or guard, he's like unblock of feast.
Speaker 2: I think it's his his quickness that they kidnp him.
Speaker 1: The guys have really opened things up for him. And he gets skinny in a half rate.
Speaker 2: You know how to turn his shoulders, yes, yeah, And.
Speaker 3: Once he turned his shoulder and start to reach out his his reach is what he uses to his advantage. So yeah, and then like you still got the Jason Newton's you still got like.
Speaker 2: So many dudes in this past rush road.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. And then like the flexibility that you have with frank you luvu, Like when he's playing that end, is he blitzing? Is the fire zone? Frankie had a couple of rushes on the back that were just like he just freaking murdered those running backs and he got jumped off side and got hit by the lineman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just tossed the line the damn tight end down like, yeah, you know what, don't touch me.
Speaker 3: I love to see him going down here, Like I love to see him going down here. Because one play Burrow held the cadence, so he showed him.
Speaker 1: He showed show.
Speaker 3: That's when they checked to uh the flair and uh Jaim Reeves played over the top.
Speaker 1: Made the great play by him.
Speaker 3: Jim jam Reeves is saying, you know what, I know him a special teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but uh like that tackle, Yes, it was unbelievable and that's what you want right there.
Speaker 3: And but guess guess who really made they play with Frankie lou because they know when he's going down here the Tasmanian Devil stopped saying nothing stopped, not but swap the paint.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so obviously we're really you can tell we're excited about what we saw and like went on the sideline. It sounds different, Like you always say you got to hear a defense, You got to hear they communicate so much better. They're so much more aggressive, and people like, oh, they gave up a touchdown, It's like, yeah, but they had a penalty and fourth down they had a kind of a ticky tack pass interference call.
Speaker 2: They did full I mean two for fourth downs they went for.
Speaker 1: Him, and so I just that group, the energy feels different, Yeah, feels exciting. And again like hopefully they stay healthy Tyler Owens, Jeremy Reeves, hopeing they can develop and find some roles. But yeah, man, it was fun to watch. It was fun to watch.
Speaker 4: And then, like you say, you know, we're looking at these preseason games and we don't get caught up into the you know, the wins and losses, continents, even the points. But when you see the guys that you're looking forward to seeing on Sundays go out there and perform at that level, it gives you something to look forward to.
Speaker 1: Like you just want to be like, hey, I want to I want to see the shade of what we've been seeing in practice. And I felt like they delivered and they clean it up. Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Is it perfect?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: And you did it against one of the best offenses in football.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They might be still trying to see where they are and what they doing.
Speaker 3: But you get no better than Joe Burrow, you get no better than Jamacha, you get no better than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And so that's our kind of defensive standout defense review. Uh, now, what's hold on?
Speaker 3: I gotta bring up one thing. Yeah, you know, I love me some Kate Madrano.
Speaker 1: Dude. Yeah, he's actually playing some decent ball. He's playing some decent bob.
Speaker 3: But I'm call him out on his one play after they got the sack on Burrow. I think at the one yard line. You know, they ran it uh downhill and won the lead. It might have been a zone and Kate jumped it, yeah, and probably could have got a safe a safety. But he literally, I don't know if he closed his eyes missed it. He missed that at tacking they got like four year old.
Speaker 1: So that's the thing with him, man, is he he has his his instincts off the are way better than I would have thought. He feels that ball. It's the He's actually takes on blocks better than I thought too. It's the moment of the tackle, it's the point of a take. It's like, can I get this? Because he had one later where like he he like kind of he was getting off the block and he kind of tripped and he kind of missed the tackle on top. Yeah, reaching, Yeah, And so I look at him like, if you can get him and clean it up, yeah, because his he can cover ground, he's got good instincts. In the past game, It's like, but I think that's a good call out because like he played, he started the game, Yeah, because Bobby wasn't playing, and I thought he did a pretty good job. But again, there's some stuff to clean up there for him. But heading into Baltimore, let's talk about this because we don't really know who's gonna play. I don't know. I have no idea what they're gonna do. Another good tist.
Speaker 3: We just played one of the miss outfits. Now we're playing one of the byss. Let's be honest, all time preseason teams out time. They take it very seriously. And this is for the forty the forty seventh spot, fifty third spot. This is where your teams tell you who they are. What the y'all? This is perfect. All right, this is toos yo tools against my threes, my threes against Yo two lists who got the best backups right now?
Speaker 2: And I think we're gonna get him a challenge, and.
Speaker 3: I'm sure coach Queen is gonna crank them up and showed him to Hey, we need to take.
Speaker 1: This seriously, like very seriously. No. I think that's exactly right. And I think this is gonna be because the thing you said at the top of the show, Fred is like, am I gonna be an NFL football player? And this is the game, And so I just kind of want to say, like a couple of battles if you're a fan at home, to keep an eye on, and I guess I'll hit this off. Like so for me, what I thought that was gonna be, we're gonna we're gonna be talking about, but I don't think we're talking about anymore was basically that eighth offensive line spot. After Chris Paul played in this game, you feel like it's lot dude, he is playing well, man.
Speaker 2: Like this coaching staff has did wonders with him.
Speaker 1: And you see him like it's always you know, we talked about Dietrich Wise his strength, like Chris Paul's hand strength is wild to me, like his ability just to grab full grown men and be like, no, dog, you're good, You're gonna stay right here. And so the fact that he's now coupled that with an awareness how to target runs all that kind of stuff, like I thought that was gonna be something to be talking about. I guess you could say, who's the ninth guy? Is it Deeter? Is it good Jones?
Speaker 2: Like I think is who Elva has got the most versatility?
Speaker 1: They might be Deeter? Yeah, that they might be dead. And then it's also now with the expanded practice squads, like maybe one of those guys gets the practice squad, but.
Speaker 2: They go to change and bad guys that you can get to keep on pres squad.
Speaker 3: No, but the problem is they got to make it through waivers, and other teams are quick to know I'm bringing them in.
Speaker 1: I don't know the exact thing, so I'm gonna butcher this. But if you want to know specifically looking up a basically, you can carry like four veterans that are more than four years experience. You can carry five veterans that are one year experience. You can carry ten rookies. You know, and so you can fill all those spots, but they kind of have to fit in those, right, Yeah, yeah, Yeah, So I guess another spot, Fred, maybe you could give some inside of this is this is maybe one of the more interesting position battles, and I'm hoping someone kind of grabs it. Here is the receiver spot. I could not tell you anybody who stood out.
Speaker 4: Brooks is the only one that even stood out.
Speaker 1: No, McCaffrey Brooks, No, I think McCaffrey probably draft this. Fine.
Speaker 4: McCaffrey is here to be got him because he's project I think six or seven six with a practice squad guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think that's the thing that I'm with this.
Speaker 4: I think I think two of those guys would be more more so practice squad guys.
Speaker 1: Anyway, person you mentioned McCaffrey, I got to give him a shout out because everyone like, we didn't get a lot of targets in the game. But that is true. But there's a couple of times where he's running go balls. He's burned this guy and you've got like Sam Hartman or Josh Johnson, and you know, if Jade Daniels is in, he gonna hen he's gonna rip that. Yeah, so like he was able to create some separation down the field. So I just want to give him his right job. You had a tackles on team.
Speaker 3: So what I'm saying is that six wide receiver, is it gonna have to be a maven On Spresch team?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 4: The fifth one probably will be counted as the fifth one because of Lane playing both, because he's a facial team guy period.
Speaker 1: But Lane he'll be more like a fourth guy. But I think now that we're talking through, I think Luke is in right he So so we got five and then it's the sixth. I don't know if anybody's.
Speaker 3: Say solidified Brooks. I say Brooks kind of you know, I like that brook more than a lot of guys.
Speaker 1: Or is it or is it Mitchell Tinsley? And I say that kind of a little tongue in cheek because is that guy from a different Yeah, like is he on a different roster?
Speaker 2: Okay, I gat to throw that carvebot.
Speaker 3: I if since he put him on a roster, you better you may make sure you want bringing that guy back over here. I think what Mitchell Tinsley did was put some heat on the Jermaine Burden.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's supposed to doing that.
Speaker 2: He to be the third guy. Yeah, so I think he gonna make a push there.
Speaker 3: But you right that that wild card receiver could be on somebody else's roster right now.
Speaker 1: It's because me, like, I think Brooks has done a great job. But is he but you trust him in a real game to practice squad, you know what I'm saying. So that's kind of my barometer. Is anyone kJ Osborne had a couple of catches in the game, but is he has he asserted himself to Kobe Jones. Yeah, And these are guys that I think are good, Like they're in the NFL. They're good football players obviously, And I hate talking about guys getting cut because it's it's terrible.
Speaker 6: What about the keyd from Miami? Which kid from Miami they played for the no the one that did so he didn't really play a ton in the game, you know, So I don't I don't know. But that's where that that that that's an interesting one to me because no one's really like saying is my spot correct?
Speaker 1: Outside of lane?
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you about your position, dude.
Speaker 1: I feel like this one's locked. This one's been locked for a while.
Speaker 2: I think I don't know because cut yank.
Speaker 1: So this let me just say this. I think they were keeping four. This is just my thought, all right, And maybe because I'm a tight end, I always want to keep more right. So, but Earth's yeah Gates, yeah, Senate, and then Yankoff. He had two tackles on teams yesterday. Yeah, like really good tackles. I know. I know for a fact Yankoffs have rolls.
Speaker 4: Everybody eyebris and say hey, I'm gonna be here another.
Speaker 3: All I'm saying is in my head because I know these coaches don't really sugar coat anything. I think yank I might go into the scene at the number three tighty.
Speaker 1: We'll see. I mean, that's something that's outside our pay grade obviously, and we trust and Quinn and the coaches listen.
Speaker 2: I just I feel it. I feel like he wasn't the jobs.
Speaker 1: Still, he's had a he's had a really good camps, a really good camp, and obviously he's a special team student. He is delivered in that ring.
Speaker 3: He the most twitchies of all of them outside of Zach.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, Zach is subtle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Zack is subtle and killing you with when you tried to try your granddaddy for the first time, and your granddaddy and got you on the cap you can't. That was Zach that got that old man screen and set the movie and the wasted movie yank. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he can get in and out of cuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think the other one that I think is interesting too is like, and I don't know if this is decided in this game or if we're get into the regular season, is the nickel spot behind Mike Sandristo, right, because I think you see, I see a role for Tyler Owens as the big nickel. But Reeves has been playing like absolutely big Nicks psycho. Yeah, and he's been playing good in that role. So and I'm sure both those guys make the team.
Speaker 3: But like Jonathan Jones also got something to say about David Lausa, monogamy plays inside is a because he's a big cone.
Speaker 2: They can play inside.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if the guy we got from Baltimore plays the nickel, but he played he played safety will last Night twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, he did a really good job. I'm gonna look hm up right now. You can keep talking on final damn.
Speaker 4: But he was bro every I mean what what excited me about his play is just you could tell when a guy can tackle and when you come from come from.
Speaker 1: Depp and make a tackle.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, he was coming down here, played a lot of football.
Speaker 4: He came down here. He came out here a few times and made his presence felt and scene. So you know, he's the guy that jumped off the page to me and the preseason game that you never know might have a might earn a spot just from that performance.
Speaker 1: And kind of in that same vein as that linebacker from Utule one. Yeah, not came and Dronto what is his name? One? Right? Yeah, a bunch of time goodness.
Speaker 4: He took on a block all he ca Yeah, he took on a block, moved again again, he took He took a running back on in the first court the first second series, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I almost thought that was Wagner. I'm like, hold on boy that. I was really impressed with his ability to get downhill. You see some limitations and coverage, but the physicality.
Speaker 2: Rowley ran around there too. Do you know I played with Duke yeh Att.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah it was and he had this crazy like bleached mullet.
Speaker 3: No, no, got curly hairs, right, Yeah, I thought Duke Rowley ran around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think like they wanted to get more experience. And then you get those two young guys Caine and uh ca Ho playing really good balls, so that that room has really interesting me. And like every time I've done my pregame interview with Danny's always like I want to see the young linebackers, And now I'm starting to see why why yes? And so in a game where they're gonna play a lot like.
Speaker 3: And this is no better team than the Ravens. You want physicality, they got physicality. You won't size, they got size. You want intention to win, They have a pre intention to win.
Speaker 4: Do you think that us not having that time to practice against them is going to kind of do anything.
Speaker 1: I think it affixed the veterans more than because like they're so to me trump practice. We talked about them from an evaluation standpoint, from a preparation standpoint. As a player, I didn't like him, But from a coach Adams standpoint, yeah, awesome. I don't think they play in the game, But but they're losing to practice, you know what I'm saying? Like that was the thing I wanted to do.
Speaker 3: I say this affect the veterans more because the veteran was gonna get most of the staffs in practice, and you know that was the pre layered preseason game for them. Now it's kind of like, let's see what they can do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think it's a whole switch of mode of thought, train of thought. If you know what, I'm special for a head coach because you thought you finna go swap some paint with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now it's like, all right, now we ain't.
Speaker 3: So now we got to make this game playing for the second screen guys and not the first screen guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And uh, I'm a little disappointed because I don't think Jade's gonna play. I really wanted to see him play some more. Not because he needs to play, Yeah, it's because I like watching him play. Well. Yeah, like I just like, you know, it's just like a little kid you get to watch like good really good football, Like I want to see that. We meant I get in the third game.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, I tried to watch Star Wars the other day, and every time I seen Luke skywalk, all I seen.
Speaker 1: Was Jayden face on it.
Speaker 3: I can't even I can't even watch no more. He is the Jedid to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like part of me is like I hope he plays because I want to watch him, but also I get if he doesn't play.
Speaker 2: Because I don't want to see Mike Green, that rookie.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's playing. Well, he's a ad dresser for Marshall Yoe.
Speaker 2: Yes, the one that took out Anthony Richison.
Speaker 1: Dude. Yeah, no, that was a day. But he had a good game.
Speaker 2: That was old Dale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, try to say that one. Yeah, yeah, that what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But Mike Green is yeah, so they got some dudes and this could be.
Speaker 2: Which we're not gonna see it. That's why I wanted them to practice against that.
Speaker 3: This could have been the best defensive backfield that we played against that with Wiggins, with Humphrees.
Speaker 1: So what I'm saying, it's disappointing, Like yeah, and it doesn't in the long in the grand scheme of things, doesn't really matter. But I just I want to see Jay and Daniels play good teams.
Speaker 3: And Jazir Alexander, yeah, like and the safeties they get ye Hamilton that that that's why I want to see them practice against each other right there.
Speaker 2: I want to see them just before that reason.
Speaker 1: So we don't know what's gonna happen. Maybe they're not going to practice each other, Maybe the veterans play a little bit. Seems unlikely, but but we'll see. But yeah, a lot of position battles to keep an eye on. And we're really excited for that game. And because this is the this is the game that decides who's who's an NFL football Yeah, who's gonna make the fifty three who's gonna make that seventy man practice squad roster? But until then, until Friday at the Muni August twenty second, that's gonna do
Speaker 3: It for day show, fill my pop, mucking leave dream lean man,