Speaker 1: So not to give too much away about today's wonderful film that we're going to be talking about, but I just wanted to start with were you at all jarred by how different a newer dcom is from one of the older dcoms? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean in what we've seen so far that Disney somewhat touches but not a ton. We're there out in the open, Yeah, and totally comfortable, like it wasn't It wasn't uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: It just was like, wow, this we have like evolved.
Speaker 2: Yes, as a one, that's a great word for evolved Disney in today's society of things that kids are going through right now.
Speaker 1: It's also us brighter and the just it looks better. I know, it's a simple thing to say that it looks better, it sounds better, but it's you know, it just shows the evolution. You watch a sitcom today and it looks better than it does if you're watching a sitcom from even the nineties. But when we're coming off of Dad Napped to today's movie, it was like the most jarring thing. That was like going from a like a hello, my baby, hello my honey, to watching Star Wars for the first time. It's crazy. So anyway, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 3: I'm Wilford Dell and I'm Sabrina Bryan.
Speaker 1: So today we're getting down on the wheels of steel because it's time for our newest d com or should I say DJ comm Huh? Should I? I probably shouldn't our most curry? Yeah, no, I won't. It's twenty twenty one's Spin. When announced in March of twenty twenty, Spin was first conceived to air on Disney Plus, but just five months later it became prime for Magical Rewind when it was repositioned as a Disney Channel original movie. It was shifted and redeveloped premiere traditionally on cable, with only one writer replaced from the original announcement. Okay, Sabrina, So we've never really delved into this before, and now we're getting into kind of the nitty gritty because we've talking about evolution, been looking at the evolution of what we call the dcom. But there was like Disney Channel original movies, Disney Movies, Wonderful World of Disney Movies, Zoog movies. We've seen that. There was a whole bunch of these. So do you think we can yet discern the differences between what would be a D com and a Disney Plus original movie. I don't think we have that eye yet.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I honestly think it's it was more about marketing than it was about was on the channel versus D like Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: I think it's where how kids nowadays watched TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, versus it actually about like where the location of it is.
Speaker 3: It's more about this is just how they watched TV.
Speaker 1: And it was funny. I was talking to somebody about that exact same thing, about watching a new sitcom on something like ABC versus when it streams and is an actress from one of the new sitcoms that's on. Who said, Oh, every promo we do, every press we do, that we have to end with and it's airing tomorrow and Hulu tomorrow and Hulu because it's like that's how everybody watches theirs stuff.
Speaker 2: I think that the only that Monroe has. Let's put it this way, She has a bunch of shows on the Disney Channel that I like Punstruction, Alice Bakery. But I record all of those and just she pops them on. She doesn't sit down whenever it airs. That's never how it was, not how it works, Playhouse, all of that stuff like those are all just recorded, and I know, I kind of like, man, it is a shame.
Speaker 3: That's just how it is, you know. And it's also like easier to access on my phone or on an iPad for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you know if if we're sitting at home, you know, because then it also is nice because we can watch what we want to watch. She can watch which of course watch, yeah, but not have to be away from us. She could still be like on the couch.
Speaker 1: Totally different. Anyway, Spin debut on the channel almost exactly one year later, after all this, August thirteenth, twenty twenty one, and it became the very first dcom to feature an Indian American in the lead role, and only one other dcom at all centered around Indian culture. So do you know what what movie that was?
Speaker 2: I do will Sheeta Girls, One World and living in this movie for all of the just oh it was.
Speaker 1: I can't wait, can't wait, I can't wait all I can't wait either. This aired as part of Disney Channels Friday the thirteenth is Fun Lucky. I didn't make that up. Friday the thirteenth is Fun Lucky night of Premieres, which might just be the least catchy promotion name I've ever heard of. It's like if they said musty TV is make sure you watch this television. So true it is, God It's bad. It showed immediately after the channel premiere of Toy Story four and right before Descendants, the Royal Wedding and disney He's Magic Bakeoff, So quite a huge night of entertainment. Yeah, the film racked in. Now here's where it gets strange, because you know, we talk about numbers every week, and we're saying this was a big one. It had five million viewers, that had four million viewers then come streaming. So this film racked in five hundred and thirty five thousand viewers for its premiere. And this, unfortunately, was another first. This was the first decom ever to score less than a million viewers in its first airing. And this, my friends, is just the new norm with streaming services. Kids don't watch traditional TV, so we just talked about it. That's neither of us like it, but that's the new way it is. It's just absolutely the new normal. Then, even after the scheduling changes, it was finally added to Disney Plus and November of twenty twenty one as part of Disney Plus Day and annual celebration and content dump for the anniversary of the streaming services launch. I don't think there's any mail service on that day. I know that I like to celebrate that day alone. It's just how I observe. It's a mine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what a great occasion I do.
Speaker 1: I love it. I get my Disney Plus candles and I'm very happy. Spin was the first d com to be filmed during the pandemic. Yes, it was shot in well, Toronto, Canada, so there you go. It gives us a small Utah break from October fifth, twenty twenty to November twentieth, twenty twenty, so it was right in the mix of an absolutely insane time in the world. Very little was filming and as you can figure out by the dates, viewers that ended up waiting three hundred and seventy eight days to see the finished product. That is the longest wait ever between new dcoms oh Man.
Speaker 3: That feels like five years.
Speaker 1: Doesn't it a year? Well it is, and in with the short attention spans that social media has given us, three hundred and seventy eight days is nine million years and worth noting that Spin was released in India on Disney Plus hot Star, which is their version of the studio subscription service, and Disney International HD, their version of the channel, on August fifteenth, twenty twenty one Indian Independence Day. Now, obviously this was a very big deal for their country, so there was a lot of promotion and fanfare to coincide with the celebration. Really cool. The soundtrack to Spin, which is an important element to the movie about DJing and EDM, was released two weeks before the movie aired and features all the music you hear in the film. All the songs are written, produced, and performed by Marcus Devrees, who is a Grammy winner whose previous work includes movies like Coda, Kick Ass, and Sucker Punch. And someone chime in if I'm wrong here, but I'm going to assume that this was Disney's first foray into music that you might hear at a rave Is that right? I mean, have we heard other music in Disney? No?
Speaker 3: I guess you're right. I guess a part of this this genre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is probably the first that we've seen at least absolutely.
Speaker 3: You know, I would assume there was more.
Speaker 1: But you've got a big musical background. Have you ever tried to DJ?
Speaker 3: I haven't you know it?
Speaker 2: The whole time I was going, how come I haven't tried this before?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The closest I got to it was during our tours. We would have musical like dance breaks, Keeley and I and Adrian would be working with the producer and I would say, like, I want to hear like a like glass crashing on the ground, sound like you know, you know, and like doing like certain accents and audio effects and things like that. So we would do that, but it was not like with the spinning. I have to have a girlfriend Brie who does it like all the time.
Speaker 3: And then my girlfriend Asia is really like she gets paid and to track. She loves it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I remember her first like playing with it, and I just never had much interest in actually doing it.
Speaker 1: Is it sad that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: The only DJ I know is DJ pauly D from Jersey Shore. Is that that. I know, it's just not my thing. It's not my kind of music, but hey, it was impressive also as always, because there's technically dancing in this movie, we have to ask you, you know, a woman with now your own line of dance pants and dance tops, which is called what again? Sobri official, Sobri official? How is the dancing in the movie? You know?
Speaker 2: It took me back and we'll get there, because it was a lot of it was and I don't remember the movie movements. But what I loved about learning the movements from India is a lot of it tells stories like what they're doing. They do things like with their eyes and it's talking about looking or you know what I mean, they have their.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had yes clear. It was almost like a language onto itself.
Speaker 2: The dancing, it absolutely is and I got to learn like quite a bit about it through our movie on the third one.
Speaker 3: And so I liked it. It was just enough.
Speaker 2: I don't think it needed any more than what we got. I think it was like just enough and it was more so about the actual music and storytelling of the music.
Speaker 1: Okay, I did like it. I'm going to talk to you about that later, because I don't necessarily agree. I think, I honestly think it could have used a little more of the dance stuff. But really get into that away all right now. Spin may have been a quote unquote failure when it came to the Nielsen ratings, but critically it fared much better. Amy, Okay, now I just want to preface everything I'm going to say. In this episode. There's a lot of names that are very difficult to pronounce. Uh So I I apologize right off the bat for my pronunciations for some of these names. But Amy, a Monteglio of Paste, said it really conveys the thrills of a first crush or holding someone's hand for the first time, without making the entire movie just about romance, which she liked, and I don't disagree with that. Yeah, and it got a positive review from Mashable, calling it revolutionary and delightful in the dcom movie Library. And this has an eighty percent score on Rotten Tomatoes. It also received the Reframe Stamp, which is an award given by the Gender Equality Coalition. Reframe an IMDb pro for films or TV projects that are proven to have gender balancing hiring, especially women of color, in four of the right key roles of production, not a common distinction. Unfortunately, it was also nominated for two Children and Family Emmy Awards, Outstanding Fiction Special and Outstanding Directing. All right, we always ask what did you know about Spin before it came to our watch?
Speaker 2: Nothing when we released, or when we talked about this last time with it upcoming, and you and I hadn't seen this yet. I had never seen it. I was thinking you got it in my head saying this was gonna be like a workout space class, like how are they gonna do this?
Speaker 3: Or it's gonna be like bicycling.
Speaker 2: I really had no idea until obviously when you pop it up on Disney Plus you see the head picture.
Speaker 3: And you're going, oh, oh, this is gonna.
Speaker 2: Be I'm excited to see this. This is so different than what we've seen at all. We've not seen and we've seen obviously movies about music, but not like not to I was really.
Speaker 3: Looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about you? Will you know? I always say no, And I didn't know the title, but I did know this movie. You don't know how. I don't know if I read the script or it was talked about in a couple of meetings I had at Disney. But as the movie started, I was like, I know this movie. So I hadn't seen it, but I've either read the script or been or talked to producers about this specific film because I knew you always going from zero to one, right, exactly, exactly, zero to one out.
Speaker 2: Of ten out of ten thousand episodes you were once wild though, kind.
Speaker 1: Of heard of this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's cool that you kind of maybe read the script.
Speaker 1: That's pretty I think I think that's what it was, but I can't remember. But either, Okay, why don't we get into our synopsis? Fifteen year old Rhya Kumar, who lives with her tight knit, multi generational family, realizes her true passion is to become an ed m DJ Sabrina Early thoughts, What did you think of the movie?
Speaker 3: Again, I really didn't know much how to to do this. As soon as it.
Speaker 2: Starts and I'm seeing the Indian influenced of their culture in it, I am like, yes, yep, I'm in, and I'm so old, I'm in.
Speaker 3: I'm on it.
Speaker 2: This little girl comes on camera and to me, she's one of the most stunning little girls.
Speaker 3: I'm saying because.
Speaker 2: She's I know, she's just younger than me. She's obviously not a girl, but she's great. Stunning, yeah, stunning young woman.
Speaker 1: And a star was I mean just clearly a star.
Speaker 2: Clearly From the very first ep or very first scene in this movie, it was just so good and I was ready to go. And I really didn't know what to think. How they were going to do this. I couldn't imagine it, and it was great.
Speaker 3: Right from the start. That was my early thoughts. I was like, I'm gonna love this.
Speaker 1: I completely and totally agree with you. It was one of those things. I think a lot of it helps that I'm coming right off a Dad Napped Yes, which talk about a different vibe for a Disney movie. This felt modern, it felt big budget, it felt real, it felt the acting was incredible, the cast was wonderful. None of it felt forced. It was I fully enjoyed this movie. I again music, so I was like, I don't know how Manna feel loved it, and I disagree. I would love to have seen a little bit more of the Bollywood put into the film.
Speaker 3: Two, I thought the rolling credits we were going to get something.
Speaker 1: Like one or two would have been great itself.
Speaker 3: In the movie itself, I didn't think it needed it. I just felt like I would like to see the ball yes, but the Bollywood that's like an end thing, you know.
Speaker 1: I know, I know a lot.
Speaker 2: What I do want to say is and I know we're gonna about to get to this. But I really loved that it was an Indian filmmaker as the director too, because I think that is absolutely really big and I thought that was really very cool for the Disney Channel.
Speaker 1: I think so too. And that's a perfect segue here because Spin was directed by and again I'm apologizing if I'm if I'm butchering these names, but was directed by Menjari mac Johnny. I think is how you say it. The Indian filmmaker and daughter of a veteran Bollywood actor is based in La and debuted with the Netflix movie Skater Girl in twenty twenty one, and that had a very similar plot following a teenage girl who finds her identity through skateboarding. Spin was her second feature, but she's worked in his assistant director on Wait to Hear This This List on some huge releases like Wonder Woman, Mission Impossible, Ghost Protocol, and The Dark Night Rises when they were all shot in India. Wow Wow, pretty cool. Or the list of movies Will Loves and the Movie is filled with mostly new faces for Disney, with only two real exceptions, and the most recognizable is Anna Cathcart. This was actually Anna's third d com as You've seen her before in Descendance two and three as Dizzy Tremaine, Cinderella's daughter. She also appeared in the movie To All the Boys I've Loved Before and the TV show and subsequent movies for Odd Squad. She can currently be seen on the Netflix show Exo Kitty I Love.
Speaker 4: It's the big character Kitty again.
Speaker 1: I'm saying words. I have no idea what any of these things are. It's not mash, I don't get it. And Avontka stars in Spin as Ria, the girl who just came on the screen and Stole it. Born in the San Francisco area, she began her career starring in Telugu cinema, eventually transitioning to American projects, where Spin was her first ever lead role. She since starred in Netflix Senior Year and appeared in the comedy musical version of Mean Girls, the horror movie Taro, and voices Kamala on the Disney animated series Mira Royal Detective and although she's currently a student at Columbia University, so she's also really smart. Set to graduate in twenty twenty seven, she will star in the upcoming Disney Plus series A Crown of Wishes and a thriller theatrical release called Ballerina Overdrive with Matti Ziegler. Yes, actually Columbia University. They only accepted one person who was not very smart. It didn't work out. His name was ryd Or Strong. Abe Dial plays Her father. Arvind Diel, is an award winning Indian actor known for his work in Hindi films like Manorama, Six Feet Under and a massive Bollywood blockbuster called Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. And again, I apologize to everybody out there if I'm mispronouncing these words. Mira Syle is her grandmother. Asha Sile is an English comedian, writer, singer, journalist and actress. She does it all. My wife loves British stuff, so I've seen her a thousand times after her breakout as one of the creators of the BBC's sketch comedy show Goodness Gracious Me and her role in the movie The Kumars at number forty two. She's since become one of the UK's best known Asian creators and was awarded a BAFTA Fellowship, which is its highest accolade, in twenty twenty three. The other pass employee of Disney is arian Simhardri, who played Rohan. He's really worked at the studio an awful lot. You might know him as Grover Underwood and the Percy Jackson The Olympians TV show, which is actually a great TV show. He also appeared in the Disney Plus twenty twenty two remake of Cheaper by the Dozen, another movie on the streamer called Trevor the Musical, the twenty twenty Disney channel improvs Dotcom Just roll with It, and he's also a voice on Mirror Royal Detective. Yikes, this kid is a very good thing going. Just stay with it. Don't make Disney mad because you are killing it now. I love the idea that Disney was able to weave in some of the regulars but also expose their audience to an entirely new film industry with some Bollywood and Indian stars. The combination was seamless. I loved the way they did it, it was really great. Spin is ninety four minutes? Oh so close, but just ignore four minutes will be fine. We like ninety and that's why.
Speaker 3: I know where it could have been cut.
Speaker 1: Do you really that? Okay, that's fine, It's yeah, it's just it's four too much. It's just four too much. But it's so close, so we're sorry about that. This movie is written by Josh Kagan, a writer whose career has included some really impressive young adult projects, starting with his first breakout hit, which we've talked about on this podcast before, and I Got a little Bit for Bandslam, which, for Trivia Buffs was also David Bowie's last film. Kagan also wrote the movie The Duff and would become a Disney go to writing the Kim Possible live action movie Upside Down, Magic and under Wraps too. And in just a few months we are gonna be able to see his newest entry into the dcom lexicon, Zombies four Don of the Vampires. Maybe we've got to get Josh in the podcast. But here's the thing. I I love how we break up the movies that we do, but I'm really having trouble not hopping forward and watching some of the new descend and in some of the news zombies. I want to get to these things.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 1: So we got to get Josh on the podcast though, because he's killing it. He also shares credit with Carly Steiner, and it's something that we also see a lot. She has no other writing credits, so maybe she was paired up with an established writer for her idea. Who knows, but this tends to happen a lot with Tcom. She could have come in with a great idea and they just put her with a more established writer. I did that the first time I wrote a script for ThunderCats. I'd never written an animated script before, so they put me with a much more established writer who taught me the process. Okay, time to feel the bass to your body, because it's time for spin. We open at Spirit of India, a restaurant where we meet Rhea. She works at the family business as a waitress and is scrolling her phone looking for the best song to put on her dinner rush playlist. She picks the music is Everything Mixed and turns it up as an Indian influenced dance track plays throughout the dining room. She starts to get to work. It is a busy, busy place. We see shots of the menu, utensils be cleaned, and cooks very hard at work in the kitchen. Rha weaves in and out, almost dancing her way through food deliveries, proving that she is a real pro at this. This is where I was already dying in the movie, because I don't know about you, but Indian food is one of my favorite things ever, and I was just watching them make this food allivating watching this movie. How did you feel?
Speaker 2: I I don't like Indian food before I went. Before I went to India, Oh, I loved it, but I was sick the whole time in India.
Speaker 3: No so much that It's like I remember a few times.
Speaker 2: I was on a date once and this guy ordered French fries and he asked for extra They've put like like kind of like a masala or a some kind of spice on it. And I had just gotten through telling him it was my first date with him, that I'll go anywhere and I'll try anything except for going to Indian food because it makes me really nauseous, right, And when I went to the bathroom, he asked for more of whatever that spice was and like, I instantly came up to the table and walked back away from it because I would actually get nauseous from.
Speaker 1: Just ending the date.
Speaker 3: No he, I don't know. Whatever. Well, if it was, it worked because I was like.
Speaker 2: See, I so I am just now getting into India. I had Indian food for the first time since I've been in India last year while I was in Florida, and I.
Speaker 3: I, I love it.
Speaker 2: It's just masala that seasons the one that gets me real good.
Speaker 1: I heard enough and all.
Speaker 3: The other stuff. Oh man, like my mouth starts to like water, like.
Speaker 1: Ye yes. And the point where my wife and I a our favorite restaurant in the world is the is an Indian place in London called jim Kanna, and we will get a reservation to that place and then book tickets to London, like we will plan our trip around.
Speaker 3: I heard that it's England. They have them everywhere, right, like how we have like sushi rush everywhere year.
Speaker 1: It's marvelously good. But oh yeah. So anyway, she eventually sends her little brother Rohan, who's working as a self appointed maitre d to the kitchen and her dad Arvin, the owner of Spirit of India, pops up and tells his son that Tiktaco's his idea for a new Tika Chicken dish isn't gonna happen. And the whole time, I'm just thinking Tik Taco's sound incredible and I want to play it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was super clever.
Speaker 1: Oh it is, but oh man, they sound so good. Ria is told her grandmother wants to speak to her in the kitchen where she is supervising a busy night of orders. She tells Ria she can make more effort with her appearance on a crowded Sunday night. She even tries to tweeze her eyebrows. Her grandma tells Arvin to let his daughter go and have some fun. She should be enjoying her life, not sweating serving food every night. She's right, he says, she loves it, or else she would tell him that she hates it. We also learned that Rhea is the president of her school's coding club. Does the high school you kind of do everything with? Do they have a coding club? Because I didn't even know what that, man, I assumed it was something I know what.
Speaker 2: Is because of my husband's business, and like one of his guys, one of his best friends, is the main one. So I knew that what that was. And Jordan went to school for it, but I that's the first time I heard about it, But that was in college.
Speaker 3: I was like, I mean, it wouldn't shocked me. Now.
Speaker 2: They didn't have like huge film classes in high school when I was in high school, and now they're like making humongous productions around campus.
Speaker 1: So our extracurriculars were like walk outside for a night homec.
Speaker 3: Was like where it started it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: Literally.
Speaker 1: I think that's what she's like. Yeah, it's crazy robotics and all this other kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it'd be so exciting if that's really what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would too, It's cool. H This is when we meet cute little British boy Max that Rea recognizes as a research transfer student at her school. He walks in with his mother, He digs the restaurant, and once seated, he unsuccessfully shazams the song playing over the speaker. Rhea, who gets to do that hipster I know music like no one else kind of thing, lets him know it's free Fall Universe. By DJ Lucas Sent. He can't believe he missed a new DJ Lucasent track and is very impressed with the mix she made. He asked if she produces her own stuff, and no, just mixes it up to help dinner with the flow. They bond over their mutual love of the artist, and Max suggests they go record shopping together someday. H that's not euphemism. He really just wanted to buy records. She admits she doesn't have a record player, but Max says he's a DJ, so he has two. Just then, Ria's grandma comes out of the kitchen and appears to be bothered by the music, but in reality, they dim the lights and she starts to get down and lip sync to the tune. The customers and Rea love it, clapping along the impromptu show, and eventually it leads to a standing ovation. I think this place rocks, and Max agrees. And I was hoping every once in a while, like I was hoping just because I know how big the Bollywood stuff can be in when you watch it, it's very theatrical and very beautiful. I was waiting for like the waiters were gonna start getting involved in anything and you know, like the trays were gonna start going behind it. It was like, it's gonna be a big production musical number.
Speaker 3: I was there.
Speaker 2: Saying, he was, he was wishing this movie was a musical.
Speaker 3: We have done it, ladies, these big dance numbers right.
Speaker 1: Now, I did. I did. I was seriously upset that there was not more big musical numbers, by the way, on this red because of this lamp. That's what. It's not that I'm embarrassed by my musical number.
Speaker 3: I love it. We've done, We've done it.
Speaker 1: It's true. Later in that night, back at home, Riha overhears her grandmother talking to her dad downstairs. Her dad is suggesting that maybe Nanni stopped dancing at the restaurant, calling it a little corny, but she says she loves doing it and she can't help herself. In the music Rhea picks is so great. Also, it's a little weird thing to say when the restaurant is packed and people love it and are giving her a standing ovation, It's like, why would you want to cancel that? That's that's an amazing part of the night.
Speaker 2: But I feel like he's saying it's too much of this balllywood like they're coming in. We want authentic food, just like portrayed on movies.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it's that, but I think it's also a little bit more about what we're going to get into right here, which is Arvin emits Rihea's mix helps with the Saturday rush, and they agree that she inherited her mother's ear. Music runs in her veins and talking about her mom obviously affects Arvin, and that's when it's revealed that her grandmother is actually his mother in law, and well, Ria's mom is dead. Grandma says that the last thing her daughter would have wanted is for him to hide behind work and the kids. They call it a night, but Grandma's concerned, and we see Ria was nearby listening in forcing a flashback. So yeah, I think anything having to do with music at this point they're setting up just reminds him too much of his ex wife. Yes, not ex wife, his wife was gone. A younger Ria is in bed and can't sleep when this is the flashback. By the way, A younger Riha is in bed and can't sleep when her mom enters to help her Mom suggests letting the music of the street guide her. There are rhythms and drums and trumpets and common noises everywhere. It's a very nice moment, and young Rihea quickly falls asleep. We see her mom walk out of the room and right into the bright light, which obviously means that somebody is dead. The following day, at Jefferson High School, she walks by Max, who gives a smoldering, weird kind of head nod like hey, my my neck hurts, forcing her to get a little bit giddy. Her two coating friends, Molly and Watson, notice the Peppeter step and want to know about this Max, because they can tell that she very much likes them. She does finally admit yes, he's cute, and quickly changes the subject to their new jackets. In the halls, we meet Ginger, a student who is also a famous online influencer, which I think is very funny and a good friend of Rhea. Molly and Watson, again very different than Dad napped. They fill her in on Max and get an online update on the dance Squad promo event that's happening tomorrow. It's all the raise money for homecoming and is inspired by the holiday Holly. Everyone wears white and they pelt each other with these brightly colored powder and the dance squad is doing a UV event to alert people about it. Did you know about Holly, because I've seen is that you get to play?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they didn't.
Speaker 2: We didn't get to do too much of it because is what the stuff they really use in India like could like easily like stain the skin.
Speaker 1: Well doesn't they also get into like your mouth and your eyes. And that's all I'm thinking of the whole time. So it's like are you breathing it into?
Speaker 2: And I know when we get there, I was very surprised that because they were very cautious about how much we were getting gonna get to.
Speaker 1: Do, right, because it's a beautiful thing to watch.
Speaker 2: We were actually there over the actual holiday though, and it was gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the visuals are stunning. I mean, it was really cool, pretty.
Speaker 2: And everyone is just it really does bring so much light and happiness to everywhere we it.
Speaker 1: It looks like it's that's really really cool. But the bell rings they're off the class. The teacher, who looks way younger than either me or Sabrina, calls on Molly and Watson to present what they've been working on. Molly makes the teacher sign an NDA, which made me laugh, and Watson presents their invention, the Pizza Drone. He demonstrates a drone that will deliver pizzas, but of course it crashes, spilling pizza sauce everywhere. Rhea presents an app that tracks inventory at her dad's restaurant in real time, which is pretty great. The teacher's impressed, but says the project was an opportunity to have some fun. Ria swear she did have fun, but the teacher isn't convinced. Then she reminds him about the upcoming parent teacher conference. Ooh, I hated those. It was always not working up to his potential. I'm sorry, that's a whole thing for my I'll deal with that on my own time.
Speaker 3: Try having to be in them now.
Speaker 1: Oh, I couldn't even care, couldn't even imagine. I would still go right back to being like, oh my god, I somehow I got a you in this class. Yeah, you remember that. That night, Rhea's dad walks in on her tinkering with the app, and he's blown away. He thanks her and says good night. The next day, at school, while eating lunch, Ginger alerts the gang of a disaster. The DJ for the promo event got caught cheating and is suspended, and the black Light dances in twenty minutes. Watson and Molly offered a beatbox, but they quickly pivot to Max. Rihea and Mitch hasn't actually hurt him, but he seems to know what he's talking about, so Ginger as the dance squad go and get him, and boom crisis averted. He is hired. Ginger tells Ria to come say hi and make sure he knows that she's the one that got him the gig. Smart Now the event, Max is quickly getting accustomed to the equipment. He thanks Ria for suggesting him and says he owes her one. The event starts and Max is killing it right off the bat. The dance squad quickly breaks into a routine while wearing black light neon outfits. You know me, I love a good dance sequence with black light neon outfits. This is truly so cool. I've never been seen. Does your dance squad do anything like this, Sabrina? Do you neon them up?
Speaker 2: Okay, So they used to have a black light assembly at the school and they would bring in all of these just giant you know, trying to get the gym to actually light up when.
Speaker 3: It's like a big space. It was tough. And my girls would always wear.
Speaker 2: Like white stuff, you know, white outfits, and they'd get the glow and the dark paint, put it on the vein.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the drum line, they were the ones that would kill it and they bring things out on the floor and they'd bang on their drums and the splattering and it was just like, I mean, they would.
Speaker 3: Go all out. We couldn't do too much.
Speaker 2: But they would just Oh, it was so awesome. So yes, this actually reminded me of that. I was like, ah, man, I wish we did the black light assembly still and.
Speaker 3: We don't any more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta do that.
Speaker 3: They should bring that back.
Speaker 1: Well, it's this school. It's become a full on rave and DJ union. Max is basically now rocking a nightclub and Ginger then books him for the actual Festival of Color. With the party finished, Ginger thanks Max for coming through on short notice. She negs him though, by saying he was good, but will need to step it up for the big day. She is off to get some pizza leaving Ria alone with her turntable crush. Rhea offers her help to Max to prep for the festival. She knows Ginger's taste. All he has to do is teach her how to DJ. They set a date for a Saturday morning at a record store. I think a record store's kind of a fun first date, don't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love that.
Speaker 2: We haven't seen it in this kind of movie, but it is always a nice place, just like we, you know, getting to know each other's musical styles.
Speaker 1: And it's like they're better.
Speaker 3: You can tell a lot. Yeah, you can tell a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. Well, now it's it's the big date morning. Ria and Max meet at Victory Vinyl and he's picking out records for her. He gives her a DJ lesson, showing her the turntables, the mixer, and the crossfader. I kind of dug this because if somebody doesn't know a lot about DJ, and he like walked you through what it was, which is great. He explains beat matching, pitch control, and beats per minute. The lesson is going very well and it catches the attention of a customer. It's the DJ Lucas sent I know so little about this world that I googled, thinking this was a real guy. I was like, DJ Lucas sent I want to hear some of his stuff. This gives a fake guy. I swear to god, I don't know any of this stuff. The duo are, of course nervous meeting their favorite musician, but he likes what he's heard. He gets them flyers for his Battle of the beat Masters, which is a contest for Team DJs. The winner gets his signature equipment and a personal lesson immediately. Ria says Max will be there. Lucas says he's looking for two things from a DJ tell Us story and make us care. He leaves and wishes them both luck and man. Are they excited. They decide to get coffee to go over the big moment and get to know each other a little bit better. Max says he moves with his mom a lot, and it's tough to make friends while traveling, so he djys because it makes it easier to connect with people. Ria reveals her mom was a great singer for her Grandma's restaurant dance show, but she died when she was only eight. He gives us condolences and asks if she'd like to practice with him tomorrow. She apparently is in because we immediately cut to the next day at his place, he teaches her how to scratch by the way, I apologize for me not sounding cool when I say any of these terms. But he teaches her how to scratch. But Max, of course, is disappointed by his mom when she says the music is too loud. She's on a business call. They're obviously not super close. We jump to a montage. We see Rhea practicing with a YouTube tutorial and shopping for more records with Max. They seem to be really getting along, even holding hands and having dinner at the restaurant together. But more importantly, she's getting better at djaying and developing her own style very quickly, even as mom likes her mix. This slightly bothers Max, who again has serious mommy issues. Ria, though it seems is a natural, Max thinks she can be an actual, real artist. She sees herself as a coder, not a musician. Then she starts to get a barrage of texts. It's parent teacher conference night, so she has to get to the restaurant asap. It is busy at Spirit of India and her dad isn't happy she's late and leaves for the parent teacher conference, but he's still a little mythed the minute he's gone. Her grandma wants to know all about this Max character. Her snitch brother took an educated guest and told her. Ria admits, yes, she digs them. Her grandmother warns her to be careful. The cute ones can be trouble, but Ria promises they're just friends mostly. Ooh. Now we are at the parent teacher conference. Rihea's teacher is walking Arvin through her other students projects and explains that although Ria's app idea is smart and impressive, she's worried that Rihea is holding herself back from finding something new. Arvin is kind of instantly offended. He would never force her into something she doesn't want to do, and his daughter is like him, very business minded. The teacher, now wanting to be called Naomi. Oh this is getting flirty, swears she meant nothing by it and offers him a donut. Like you do anybody offers me a donut, I'm going home with them anyway. Arvin accepts and says, if for the record, so with my wife, we're big donut fans. Arvin accepts and says if his daughter had a problem being at the restaurant, she would tell him. And then, like I said, called.
Speaker 3: It flirting, very inappropriate. You think they're.
Speaker 1: Adults by themselves. It's fine.
Speaker 2: She's his daughter's teachers.
Speaker 1: So they're both adults.
Speaker 3: It's okay.
Speaker 1: That's might it might be a maybe not during the parent teacher conference. Maybe maybe slide into his d MS later, Did I say that right? Is not what it is?
Speaker 3: That so wrong from you?
Speaker 1: Is that what you're supposed to do? You slide into someone's m Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean the outside of the school, like they were both at the grocery store.
Speaker 3: That'd be one thing.
Speaker 2: But he's literally there for your kids like she was. It was she the one that was being inappropriate. I could have gotten called by the district for.
Speaker 3: Sure on that.
Speaker 1: Naomi. He likes the donut, but he swears his pastries are better. Naomi says she'll have to swing by and judge the food for herself, even saying it's a date. Yes, she asks herself out. She does totally does.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's okay.
Speaker 1: It's closing time at the restaurant, and Arvin asked Grandma rsha If he should cancel this date he accidentally fell into. She encourages him to go have some fun and infers he's focused too much on work and so are the kids. But a great mix is playing and reassure has the skill to pick good tunes off of Spotify. Back at school, Ria joins her friends to work on the Festival of Color website and notices they haven't put Max's name anywhere. Ginger says she's heard his new song and really no one loves it. She's already announced him, so he'll still be djaying, but she's not going to promote him. Rhea rushes to Max's house to listen to the track, and even he knows it's not very good. Ria gets to fixing it, and just like the real guy who turned out to be a fake guy DJ Lucasan told them, she knows he needs to tell a story. Max said he wants to have fun and likes the quote wicked synthpad, the killer bass sound, and the crisp high hat pattern unquote. Rihea explains what her mom told her there is music everywhere, and encourages him to find inspiration in the things he really loves, like the beach and skateboarding, and she immediately finds a great sample to add. The mix improves and they decide to call it Feeling Good And yeah, it proves because Riea does it all. Keep that. But Ria realizes she's lost track of time. She's late for the dinner shift at the restaurant. Her dad is cleaning the kitchen, so she missed an entire dinner shift. Like you're supposed to be there for dinner shift at four five o'clock and then the restaurant's closed. It's like eleven. So have you ever lost six hours in a day?
Speaker 2: I got this was kind of hard to just like, yeah, John, I mean I get it. She's in the like young butterflies totally just like zoning out.
Speaker 3: I could see her being.
Speaker 2: Really late, like an hour or a couple but like you've missed the whole thing and not And one of my things that I wrote down, not one person at this restaurant called her.
Speaker 3: Like where are you? Are you okay?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Are you safe right now?
Speaker 2: Nothing happened, Just we're gonna wait for you to come back and give it give it to you then, yep, not right?
Speaker 1: Oh? I know. Another DJ DJ Spinderella from the eighties.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is a good one.
Speaker 1: Yes, Spinderella is a good one.
Speaker 3: She was with TLC.
Speaker 1: No, no, not Pepper, Salt Pepper. Yeah, yes, Spinderella. There you go. I love that. Uh oh wait, easy rock, DJ easy rock. I don't know which that was. It takes two to make a thing of raw bass and DJ easy rock. Man, I'm aging myself anyway. Sorry, this is not the game. But you have three DJs? Do you think by the end of the podcast you can get to ten? No?
Speaker 5: Really, I think that if you're really sad with it, you could.
Speaker 1: Come up with come up with ten ten DJs? Are there ten DJs? Yes?
Speaker 5: There are literally hundreds.
Speaker 1: Of thousands of Okay, oh wait, wait does does the the the French guys that were the head pieces? Does that count?
Speaker 5: Definitely DJs? But it's one. But yes, those are definitely DJs.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll think of their name. I can't, I'll think of their name. All right, that's good. I'm at four. All right anyway, Oh who was? No?
Speaker 5: Listen, I don't want to hide back the podcast.
Speaker 1: Sorry, now I'm gonna think.
Speaker 5: Are you we give you some time at the end.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, fair enough, you're you're right, you're right. So anyway, she's been there for thirty two hours and she's missed several days of work. Exactly several days she's been missing, and no one cares.
Speaker 3: That's sad in the history of history.
Speaker 1: Best dad decoms, But instead of being angry, her father's just concerned that maybe she hates working there, but she swears she's happy. She says she's just lost track of five hours somehow. He reminds her it'll be busy for the next few weeks and he will need her. She promises she will be there, but it seems like she's starting to question her enthusiasm. The grandmother enters to defend the fifteen year old. This is one of my favorite parts too. It was a line that was off camera where she's like, He's like, you've now been late twice and hear the grandmother go wow twice in five years. I wonder if the local university is still going to accept her. Just all these great kind of way I like ones, she had some great ones, so yes. The grandmother enters to defend the fifteen year old. Riea she should be with her friends, not working herself to the bone. Ria begs them not to fight over this. She wants to help and won't be laid again. She just wants everyone to be happy, and as a people pleaser myself, I know exactly what that's like. We get a montage of Ria out in the busy dining hall night after night, now even ditching coding classes and her friends teacher Naomi, which I'm gonna start calling inappropriate teacher Naomi. Even she notices she's still helping Max with his mix, but getting so tired dropping plates at work and dozing off at school. And now they're back at Max's working on the mix, a process that appears to just be finding a song, calling it sick, and then dancing to it. Then Ria's alarm goes off. It's time to get back to work. But guess who's that Spirit of India Miss Eloy? As I think I say her name aka Naomi. For the date, Arvin is a little surprised but ready to impress, and Rhea and her brother are shocked. The date goes well and she loves the food, but on her way out, she asks for a little girl talk with Rhea. Miss Eloy isn't happy she's been missing coding classes. Watson and Molly are counting on her. Ria gets very defensive and doesn't want people to keep asking her if she's happy. The next day, Max and Ria played Ginger his new mix and boom, of course she loves it. While at the restaurant, a baby shower has rented the place out, but Rio has promised the day off for the Festival of Color. But her dad needs her. And this is where I was starting to be like, dude, you've now got a bunch of people telling you that this girl might not be happy. You even start to question if she's going to be happy. She's got one of the biggest things going on that she helped create. Let the girl go, but no, her dad needs her. She's bummed, but agrees to stay. The grandma overhears this and is not happy with Arvin. Neither was I. Arvin. Ria calls Max and break the news. He's sad about it kind of, but says he'll swing by later and let her know how it went. He sweetly says he doesn't need luck, he has her, and I was like, Oh, they're setting up a nice cute thing. This is gonna only happy stuff is gonna happen at the festival and of course, at the baby shower, things are going smoothly. Riha checks in on ginger social media and has an idea for her brother. She offers to get his tiktacos on the menu in exchange for something. We are now at the festival, Ginger introduces Max to perform, and guess what. Rhea is on her way there too. She apparently ditched work. That's what she was talking to her brother about, and she's finally called back Watson and Molly. She's admitched. She admits she's been a bad friend and apologizes, but promises after today she'll be a better friend. I thought it was a very nice call, A good scene like I love. I love scenes where people take responsibility for the things.
Speaker 3: That I done. Yeah, be accountable.
Speaker 1: Yep, I agree, so good. Ginger announces to the crowd that they've raised enough money for not only homecoming, but for a pretty nice hotel, not too nice, just pretty nice. Maybe a jacuzzi and a late checkout. Then it's time for DJ Max's new song. It starts, and so does the holly Chalk fireworks. Color is everywhere. It goes all over the partygoers. While they love the track and Rhea finally arrives just in time to watch Max kill it. She is very proud. We get some cool slow moo shots of this beautiful colored chalk flying everywhere. The song is pumping' Did you like the song is a good song?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 2: I thought it was good and I thought he was pretty good, because I would think it would it would be hard to really like hone in on how to perform as a DJ, Like I don't think.
Speaker 3: We get to see DJ. Yeah, it's like, but you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean, for somebody to like hone in on that without being the DJ themselves, I think it's like kind of tough. I wouldn't exactly know how to do it. I mean Alison Stoner, we saw her in the movie she was in.
Speaker 3: With the Johns Brothers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard even if even though she's a mover, it's like hard to like really like make that convintion.
Speaker 1: She's a phenomenal dancer, but it's such a different thing that it's.
Speaker 3: Just a different different Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. Max then announces that the song title is Feeling Good, the song they wrote, and apparently it's available to stream. He says he couldn't have done this himself. He wants to thank someone for their help, and then he thinks, Ginger.
Speaker 3: Did we see that come?
Speaker 1: I didn't either. I was like, Oh, it's gonna be so nice, like, oh no, they're putting a twist on it.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I knew the twist was gonna come, but I didn't think it included it would include Ginger like the.
Speaker 3: I was, so. I was like, I was.
Speaker 1: Hoping it wasn't gonna be a twist.
Speaker 3: I was hoping be nice moment for me. Like what Ginger?
Speaker 1: So yeah, she feels betrayed, and rightfully so. After the gig, Max is signing autographs for fans. When Rhea confronts him, She asked why she didn't get a shout out, and he says he was too excited and slipped his mind. This doesn't feel any better for her. She named the song, she invented the concept, She even came up with the main vocal hook. How could this slip his mind? He gets very defensive. He says, look, she helped, but remember this is his thing, Okay, his equipment. He's the DJ. She's not an artist. She makes Indian food restaurant mixes. Oh what a dick Dick Dick.
Speaker 6: See, I can see Cia Sea and it was such a quick change for the character you're like in in in in, I hate him like it was that quick.
Speaker 3: And she's so amazing.
Speaker 2: It was okay for me to hate him because he just hurt her fitly.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's what it was. And it just happened so fast, like oh man, they instantly made me not care about this guy at all at all, and it's like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, h yeah, wow, you just hurt this little girl's feelings and she has been busting her ass for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, his mom's gonna move him in another month anyway, so yeah. But she says she'd never take credit for others work and storms off. Max wants to follow her, but unfortunately his headphones are connected to the mixer, so it's just like a leash. She can't go anywhere. And apparently I have it on very good authority that that actually is what happens. Then yeah, apparently like sense, Yeah, then we see that Ginger and the Coating friends all heard what Rhea said to Max. Max's ria was just being dramatic, but they call him a filthy liar and they walk away, And I love that her friends are instantly on her side. It's like and now Max's persona on Grana. Back home, Ria is of course in very big trouble. Her dad knows she left midshift, which would be hard to hide seeing as she's colored in multi colored paint, and now he can't count on her anymore, which I was like, dude, that's harsh. She's missed a day of work in five years. Yeah, she says she's sorry. Fifteen which is fifteen exactly. She says she's sorry, but he grounds her for two months, which again the grounding. I understand, you can't lie, but give the girl a break. Rio then breaks down in her room. The stress has finally gotten to her, and she's been dealing with a lot of stress. I felt for this girl. Eventually, Aria joins her her grandmother to pray and explain why leaving the restaurant was an emergency. She says she went to the festival and had her heart ripped out by Max. She wants to return to spirit of India and pretend that none of this ever happened. Her grandmother says she refuses to let her hide in her work like her dad does. Rhea feels like it's her responsibility with her mom gone, but her grandmother says it's not her job to make everyone happy. The grandmother was so amazing in this movie. I know. Grandmother encourages her to make a new song, makes so much music it'll crush Max. Yes. When Rio worries she's out of ideas, her grandmother smiles and says her mom used to say the same thing. Every time she finished a new song, she'd feel tapped out. Then the grandmother pulls out a box full of tapes, jewelry, and photos. It's audio of Rhea's mom's songs. They find one tape that says for Rhea. That night, Rhea listens to her mom's music, finding new and emotional inspiration in their connection, even standing by the window and finding music in the streets outside like she was taught growing up. The next day, Ginger, Molly, and Watson go to Rihea's house with a box of stuff. They know she can't leave the house, so they came to her with DJ equipment. I thought this was funny, like suck we just came here. They did. It's a great friends. They tell Ria she'll need this stuff to win the DJ contest. They submitted her mixes and she's in and she's going to compete against wait for it, Max, But how will she win if she can't leave the house. That's when her grandmother enters. Don't worry, she'll take care of it. We enter a montage of sorts, Gingermalia, and Watson working on music. Her friends even combed the streets, sending her the videos of sounds to inspire new records. Rhea even uses sound she finds in the restaurant, and she decides on her DJ name. It's gonna be Rihea. Hey, it works. Plus, you've got all the stuff already. You'd letting your names on everything. It's just easier. While Ria practices at home, Arvin wants to talk to his daughter. He likes what he hears, but she's timid to talk about her new passion and he walks out, which makes sense because music is the thing that connected the whole family, and so that's gonna be tough. She sees a new social media post for Max spragging about the battle, and she's more motivated than ever. She decides to add one more element to the track, her mother's singing. She plays a song for her grandma, who immediately recognizes her daughter's voice. Rhea's calling the song It's all music, and will wear her mother's jewelry.
Speaker 5: At the event.
Speaker 1: Very very sweet? Did you cry? I did? Did you?
Speaker 3: I cried earlier? I cried early? When did you with the flashback?
Speaker 1: Oh you cried or the flashback? Oh?
Speaker 2: This poor little baby has not had her mom like I have such a great relationship with my mom. I now have a daughter that got me so early on I went.
Speaker 1: Oh God, this is okay. Someday one of us are both going to cry at the Sandy comy. Someday we both did we?
Speaker 3: Color of Friendship? Did we cry a little bit? Did you carry?
Speaker 1: I might have cried at the I cried at one I can't remember what.
Speaker 3: But I cried at Color of Friendship.
Speaker 1: I think I did too.
Speaker 4: I cried at the tree one such you did not?
Speaker 1: Did you? Yeah? Okay? The tree?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 3: Very relationship with It's just not warm to me. I get it. Okay, cool, that's in cool.
Speaker 1: We are back at the Spirit of India. Things are really busy again. Arvin calls Grandma Asha. He gave her and Ria the night off, but he needs asher back. She apologizes she's stuck on the subway, and he needs to figure out what to do without depending on his daughter and mother in law. We are now at the packed Battle of the beat Masters. Rhea enters with her grandma. They're both sporting big smiles and sparkly golden outfits. I loved bringing in the Indian Indian kind of heritage and wardrobe here. It was perfect. She's rocking the jewelry. It looked great. The panel of judges include fake but real DJ Lucassent, and contestants will be judged by skill and level of applause after two rounds. Never like applause, meaning it's just a popularity contest. Backstage, Max bumps into Rhea and tells her he never meant to hurt her. But Riha says, this isn't about you, It's about making music, and she just doesn't care.
Speaker 3: Boom my drass line in the movie.
Speaker 2: I loved this boom shot Laca, you suck, Max, see you later.
Speaker 3: No one cares, No one cares. DJ Jazzy Jeff, Oh there you go five.
Speaker 1: DJ Jazz and Jeff. The helmet guys, the helmet guys, but the helmet guys. No'll name the helmet. I'll remember the helmet guys I have there on the list.
Speaker 3: But I'll remember he was the one with Will Smith right.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, DJ Jeff okay good, I'm at five if I can think of the helmet guys names. We are now at the semi finals and even Miss l Well inappropriate Miss Elowie is there. We see DJs with names like DJ len Cool, Lavender Bear, Colossus Creation, then Union Max. The Little Jerk is a pretty good set, passing Riha on her way out, who also gets the crowd and her grandma dancing. With the first round done, then the finals are set. It's DJ union Max versus Ria, which I'm glad that worked out, or would have been weird movie if it was DJ Union Max against somebody else. Yeah. Ginger goes live on Instagram from backstage and back at Spirit of India. Her snitch ass punk brother accidentally lets her dad see what's going on now. The dad and brother rush out of the restaurant. Arvin looks furious as they sit in traffic. The finals have begun. DJ Union Max is up first and the crowd is feeling his set. He's gonna be hard to beat. But now it's Rhea's turn. She's announced, but she hasn't come out yet. We can feel the tension. It's starting to build. Is she quitting? And then in the wings we see her and she's feeling very hesitant, but Riea takes one last breath and walks out. She places her laptop and records down and works hard to find a calmness and then presses play. It's a chill song made up of wind sounds, bird chirping, and splashes of water at somewhere between Enya and a rainforest. By the way, huge Enya fan, no problem saying it. I will die on that hill. The beat eventually drops and even Max knows he's done for Rihea adds one last element, her mom's tape. Her mother's haunting voice mixes into the track just as her dad and brother entered. The event makes me wonder who's watching the restaurant. Rhea is in the zone, I mean, just in the zone, feeling her mother's presence. The climax of the song hits, and then guess what, my favorite thing ever happens? Everyone in the audience magically knows the synchronized dance. What a coincidence, I know, But then everybody's doing it. They're all such fast partners, and you know that's my favorite thing. I love that. When they started banging on stuff, I was like, I hope they break it a song because that's Sabrina's favorite thing. Ria's dad is so proud and emotional. He asks miss Ella, you know what, let's just call her Naomi. Isn't she amazing? But she responds with less talking, more dancing. The song comes to a big celebratory end and the judges give her a standing ovation. While her dad is wiping away his tears much like Jensen did during that Christmas movie with the Tree. That snitchass brother sees his opportunity to ask for Tiktakos to enter the menu, and he agrees they should have been on any way. They sound amazing. The judges calculate their votes with Max and Ria back on stage. DJ Lucasent congratulates them and announces the Beatmaster Champion. It's Ria. Backstage. Ria hugs her grandmother and asks her dad if she's grounded. He says quite the opposite. He couldn't be happier. They hug, and Dj Lucasent appears he loved her set fans and friends Swarmer. Eventually seeing Max in the crowd, he just walks away, now a total garbage loser, and part of me as he was leaving, is like, yeah, serves him right for being moved every couple months. This kid has no friends and now no one in that school likes him either. Damn No, it's pretty harsh.
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 1: It's harsh. We end it's like now it's like, oh man, this is I finally found a place. And anyway, we end the movie now at something called DJ Sundays, a new night at Spirit of India. Ria is djaying and the place is bumping. The credits roll and we see all the characters parting and dancing, including her grandmother. We even see Tic Taco's and Miss Naomi, who now appears to be dating Arvin. And to top it all off, Molly and Watson's pizza drones deliver a dish to a table. We pull out to see a line outside, all partygoers waiting to get in, while Riha controls the dance floor. And that is our movie. Wow, I still can't think of the two the two masked French guys. It'll come to me. Can we do some real reviews?
Speaker 3: Yes, I need help with this person's name though.
Speaker 1: Dry oh gigante, dryohagante. Okay that one, okay him?
Speaker 3: He did a five star.
Speaker 2: Him aspiring drama, adding in one line to give credit to Max at the end would have been better though, So I actually I agree with this one.
Speaker 3: I don't think that they needed to end.
Speaker 2: They don't need to be maybe romantically connected anymore, but it would have been nice for like they just kind of have like a small thing like something that.
Speaker 1: They gave the head. Now you want more the Johnny apology. You want Johnny handing handing the trophy to Daniel LaRusso at the end of crowda kid and saying, hey, Daniel, good match. You want that recognition.
Speaker 2: I need something because she just puts you in your place you were.
Speaker 3: And also again like I don't want you to not have.
Speaker 2: Friends either, so do the right thing, I know, and actually like say you're sorry, Hey, you deserved this.
Speaker 3: I was wrong.
Speaker 1: You know nothing. No, this is why Max is no friends. This is why Max is no friends. Max I have the one star and this course is given to us this week by Big Orange Nation forty one, which just begs the question, there's forty other Big Orange Nations, here we go. One star. I know it's a movie, but learning how to DJ takes years and years. Also, producing music literally takes years. You can't rain man your way into dance music. This movie is stupid and according to Disney, I could learn how to fly a plane in a couple of days, or learn how to be a three star Michelin chef after a weekend cooking class. One star. Wow, Well, this week Big Orange Nation forty one will be spending.
Speaker 3: Here's your level of sparkle dust and magic.
Speaker 1: No, mister, no, there's no sparkle dust and or magic. And now, of course we are coming to our favorite portion. Well I like it, Breena loves it fame, which is our game, our feature of the week, and this one is called beat per minute. Of course, producer Jensen does these now, I think specifically just to annoy Sabrina, which is kind of my favorite part of the day. So to honor the art of djying, we will be given an iconic song and a number of beats per minute. We have to decide whether the actual BPM is higher or lower than that. Yikes. So say we're given a song and the number is one hundred and eight beats per minute. We have to answer with a higher or lower three out of five wins. So here we go. You're a musician, so you could probably do this a lot better than me. Number one, Bye Bye Bye by end Sync one hundred and sixty beats per minute.
Speaker 3: So we're saying, is it higher or lower than that? Okay, it's definitely lower than that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Then I'm gonna go sabrin. I'm gonna say it's lower than that.
Speaker 5: Bye Bye Bye is one hundred and seventy three beats per minute.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, wow, okay? Uh number okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Number two Hotel California by the Eagles, one hundred and fifty beats per minute. It has to be less than that, right, Yeah, it's a slow song, has to be.
Speaker 5: Thus in that it is lower, but by very little. One hundred and forty seven.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay. Number three you can't touch this by mc hammer one hundred and twenty nine beats per minute. It's got to be above, definitely higher than higher than that.
Speaker 5: It is higher. Three, you've got to one more.
Speaker 1: Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Junior, one hundred and thirty beats per minute.
Speaker 3: Wait, is that the that's not the ghost.
Speaker 1: There's something strange neighborhood. Who.
Speaker 2: By the way, I've used like every single one of these songs in one of my routines.
Speaker 1: There you go. I'm going to say it's I'm going to say it's higher than one hundred and thirty beats per minute, but.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, it's got it's probably higher.
Speaker 4: Coming down to the last question, it is lower one hundred and fifteen point four beats permit.
Speaker 3: Du Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: But that Espresso by Sabrina Carpenter. And I'm the only person in the world, and I love Sabrina so much that has never heard this song. So what, I don't listen to the radio.
Speaker 3: No this song.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't. I haven't heard new music.
Speaker 2: They it's like it's got to be on an ad of something that you've listened.
Speaker 1: Way, if i've heard it, I don't know what it is. Okay, And I love Sabrina to death. She's awesome person. I just I don't listen to new music.
Speaker 3: I like absolutely am like just in love with her.
Speaker 1: So is it then you got to win the win this or lose this for us more? Okay? Then? Maybe? Okay? Then again, I've never recognized like.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, you don't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I don't watch or anything.
Speaker 2: Has been in ads a lot too, Like they've really used her their stuff a lot.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I.
Speaker 1: Think is it a slow song or a fast song?
Speaker 3: It's a slower song.
Speaker 2: Okay, It's probably still just a little bit higher than what that is though, So you're going with higher twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm all right, Sabrina's going.
Speaker 1: With higher, So I'm gonna go the opposite and say lower.
Speaker 4: Will has a winning strategy.
Speaker 3: How many of these is that song? Four one o four?
Speaker 1: I just played against Serberena.
Speaker 4: Oh she was using a DJ site, but then I realized those are the perfect sites to you.
Speaker 1: So I was betting against the house. Oh god, funny, all right you them? Yeah? I did hedge my bets and I want again. I love that.
Speaker 3: Ohays, thank you.
Speaker 1: Producer Jensen went and down bet against Sabrina. Can we do some Sabrina ces please? Yes.
Speaker 2: We did not hit on the little actress that's in one of my favorite shows right now XO Kitty.
Speaker 3: She was she played Molly.
Speaker 2: She was so good and she wasn't the lead in this in any sense, but like she to me, all of these young actors to me just felt like home runs.
Speaker 3: They were just so good in their in their characters.
Speaker 1: And I know what the other thing is, they were all super interesting.
Speaker 3: Yes they all.
Speaker 2: Yes, I loved I loved the other best friend like I love. I even loved the girl that was the influencer.
Speaker 3: I thought she was really good.
Speaker 2: Poor Ginger like got all of a sudden gets mixed up with this guy when she's the one that like that wasn't fault was so sweet and saying like you should make sure that he knows you got this job. You know what I mean, and like so I mean. But anyway, I just loved all their characters. I speaking of the DJ gig, that one pulled me a little bit out of my zone because I felt much like you in the sense of like, wait, he has his computer and I know that wasn't his setup because he makes it a note about that, but like.
Speaker 3: He was really actually ready to do like a full on gig in like twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Like maybe I don't know, I'm not I'm not a DJ so, but that seemed like a.
Speaker 1: Little like you know, you know who would agree with you? Big Orange Nation forty one.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: There were a couple of times that I felt like, oh, we're just gonna not at all try to make it real time with the with the way they did some of the editing. And one of them happens right after this gig where they're taught. They start their initial conversation on the stage and they're walking out and then within mid sentence, they're like in the middle of the hallway.
Speaker 3: Because if they've been.
Speaker 2: Quite a few times where I was like, we're just gonna okay, Like there's no doorframe, we could.
Speaker 3: Have walked through, like, didn't need to even start in there.
Speaker 2: They she could have caught up with him in the hallway or stayed in there wasn't needed whatever. That one pulled me out some of the lines, like we were saying, I loved Debbie's liner. Isn't an emergency she had that. There was also Battle of the Master's DJ competition.
Speaker 1: What's that? Yes, it's kind of in the title the.
Speaker 3: Title, and then.
Speaker 2: Uh, the one of the the Grandma had a bunch and Nanny had a bunch and one of hers and as the children say, no take backs, tied on that one. And then I, lastly, I did find the four minutes that could have been at least shortened somewhat to get us to that ninety minute mark. And for me, although I'm all I'm all about emotional scenes, I love them, it was the long song that happened when she was listening to her mom's tape. And yes, the window that we came that dragged.
Speaker 3: Out a little bit. So maybe not four full minutes, but at least two. I think they could have cut it in half.
Speaker 1: It LEAs have snipped here and there, snipped it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think, oh, and then the last thing is, so this was my question, you know how he got pulled.
Speaker 3: By the you know, he got like.
Speaker 2: This the headphonelda right, which happens to me all the time when we get off this podcast, by the way. But then at the end, when all the other DJs were in the audience, they all had their headphones, like as if they just like wear them around.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, as a voice over actor, we don't usually carry our headphones with us. But maybe that's different for DJs. I don't know. Maybe that's what they do.
Speaker 2: I don't know, or it's just like that's how the I guess they decided to like signify that like, oh, they were.
Speaker 3: One of the ones that was up on stage. It was just kind of weird.
Speaker 2: So I was like, do they get pulled an or or are they using like the beats that are bluetooth.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's a question you and I probably can't answer, but maybe the fans out there can, but they're gonna have to know and Instagram.
Speaker 1: Because I, yeah, let us know, because I have no idea.
Speaker 3: It's not my world, no, So but that was it.
Speaker 2: I really I'm looking forward to rating this because me Too is probably one of my favorites that we've done so well.
Speaker 1: Then let's rate it. Hair Let's do one out of ten. Let's do one on a ten this week. Okay, let's do one being worst and ten being the best. We'll switch it up and our options this week are going to be one out of ten, wicked synth pads one out of ten, killer base one out of ten, crispy high hat patterns, pretty nice hotels, mommy DJ issues one out of ten, pizza drones, one of a ten, headphone leashes, or one out of ten lavender bears. What would you like, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I don't want to use this one, but lavender Bears really jumped out at me as well.
Speaker 1: I want to add one out of tend Tiktokos because I think that's that's a good one too.
Speaker 6: Let's do TikTok you want to do tiktokos, Let's do TikTok.
Speaker 3: Although I do love all these crispy high.
Speaker 1: They do, I think I think you went first last time, so up to me. I really liked this movie. I thought she the star. She's a star. I mean she's clear that you see people walk on screen where it's just like, oh, that's okay, She's gonna be huge. I'm giving this a solid eight point five tiktokos. This was a very good movie. I enjoyed myself. I'm sure it helped coming right off a dad napped, I really do. I've disliked that movie so much that seeing this was kind of a breath of fresh air. So I really liked this movie. I thought it was great. Eight point five tictacos for me.
Speaker 2: Nice, I'm gonna go a little bit step above you with nine ooh.
Speaker 3: I this is one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 2: And again this is too like I love music, but I don't know anything about Djane, and so it was very cool.
Speaker 3: For me.
Speaker 2: It felt like it was Yes, she probably got better than what she could have a in a couple of weeks, but at the same time.
Speaker 1: That's okay.
Speaker 2: I loved the Indian culture inspiration that was involved in this. It didn't overpower anything. It was nice. Again, I loved I know you were saying that you wish there would have been more through the rolling credits. I would have loved to see a full blown but Bollywood performance, But within the movie, I felt like it was just enough, just enough dancing because it really wasn't supposed to be like a musical in that sense. It was not about that, you know. It really was actually about the music and Djane. So I thought there was just enough because it's hard to have good music in that dance, that's how, you know. But at the same time, I loved the amount of all of that inspiration that they had in there, and again, She the.
Speaker 3: Whole cast was just so good. They just it was the easiest watch. I enjoyed it and it was such a fun movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, highly recommend this movie for everybody if you haven't seen it as very good. But our next movie is another very niche skill based movie What Happens when an Athlete's true passion is rope jumping. Yes, it's two thousand and sevens jump In, starring former Magical rewind guess Corbin Blue and one of Hollywood's biggest names in twenty twenty five, Kiki Palmer. It is on Disney Plus, so feel free to watch it asap and while we wait. This week, on our park Opper episode, we will be chatting with actress Tanya Gannati, who will bring us back to two wild dcms we covered a while back and are still frankly obsessed with. First Pixel Perfect, where she played Cindy, the lead singer of the Zeta Bytes before Loretta, a pesky AI hologram took over. And secondly, and most notably, she was Mojo, the hockey playing and very spiritual, quirky pal in Go Figure. We had a lot to talk to her about and oh man, she is so much fun. So please listen to a sneak preview of the interview right now.
Speaker 7: So I said I can played the drums, so they sent the director and the producer to a place of your choosing to show that you can play the drums. So I went to Burbank rehearsal studio and I brought you know music and I actually played the drums an Indonesian song that I learned with my dad's money, and I played it like really loud, and it was so exciting and I booked a job that day.
Speaker 1: Wow, it was we were just I was seriously smile the entire time. She is hysterical and a lot of fun, so don't miss it. Make sure you also subscribe to our dedicated magical Rewind feed on Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcast, and for more info, you can follow us that Magical rewind pod on the Instagram machine. Now, by the way, I've also thought about Carl Cox smoking, Joe David Getta, Martin Gree, Charlotte Dewitz, Steve Aoki. I know all these dj.
Speaker 5: What are you reading?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: I'm not reading?
Speaker 1: You know how bad I am at this even cheating. I've never heard of any of these people.
Speaker 4: And by the way, he still hasn't said death punk, the.
Speaker 1: Guys with the things daft punk, that's it. What about Paul van Dijk or John Digweed or or r E. L. Free Again? I literally put the list up, and I've heard of dead Mouse. Okay, hey, there you go. But the list, the top of the list tis so Carl Cox, David Ghetta, Skill Relics.
Speaker 2: David Oh my gosh, David Getta DJ yes, okay, all right, Calvin Harris DJ Skrillicks, any of those Diplo.
Speaker 1: I've heard of Diplo. Hey, I got one. This is the cheating list I still have never heard. Oh god, I'll get better. Bye, everybody, Bye,