Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: Karen, we began with the latest from the campaign trail for Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Last night.
Speaker 2: It ran through the heart of Manhattan.
Speaker 4: An incredible arena, Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 3: Incredible.
Speaker 2: The former president capped off a nearly six hour rally inside the fabled arena and called on his supporters to defeat Kamala Harris.
Speaker 5: With you a.
Speaker 2: Vote in this election, I will end inflation.
Speaker 6: I will stop the invasion of criminals coming into our country.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump was joined by about two dozen speakers, including Elon Musk, who made a promise of his own to Trump transition co chair Howard Ludnik, how.
Speaker 4: Much do you think we can rip out of this.
Speaker 2: Wasted six point five trillion Harris Biden budget?
Speaker 7: Well, I think we can do at least two trillion.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the rally included some controversial comments as well, like this from comedian Tony Hinchcliff.
Speaker 8: Like, I don't know if you guys know this, but there's literally a floating island of garbage in the middle of the ocean, right now, yeah, I think it's called Puerto Rico.
Speaker 9: Okay, all right now.
Speaker 2: That drew a backlash from Republican lawmakers in Florida and Puerto Rican celebrities, including rapper Bad Bunny and Jennifer Lopez, who is of Puerto Rican descent. They showed support for Kamala Harris following that comment.
Speaker 6: Well, Nathan, Vice President Harris is seizing on the anti Puerto Rico rhetoric from the Trump rally.
Speaker 7: He abandoned the island, tried to block aid after back to back devastating hurricanes, and offered nothing more than paper towels and insults.
Speaker 6: Kamala Harris announced a plan to boosh the island territory's economy and power grid in a post on X Earlier, Vice President hel to rally ever own in Philadelphia.
Speaker 7: We have an opportunity before us to turn the page on the fear and the divisiveness that have characterized our politics for a decade because of Donald Trump.
Speaker 6: Vice President Harris plans to deliver what her campaign is calling her closing argument speech tomorrow. She'll appear at the Ellipse outside the White House, the same spot where Donald Trump rally supporters before the attack on the US Capitol on January sixth, twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Well Karen oil is tumbling this morning. It is down nearly five percent in the international market. The drop comes after Israeli strikes against targets in Iran avoided the OPEC members crewed facilities. Bloomberg's Paul Wallace reports that is fueling optimism hostilities in the Middle East, maybe easing.
Speaker 10: A lot of regional officials in the Middle East and probably beyond in the West as well, are thinking that this seems to be the end of it for now, at least based on Iran's reactions so far, it's been a pretty muted reaction. The country is not vowing to respond to Israel's strikes. Yes, four of its soldiers were killed, but the damage didn't seem to be massive, and of course Israel seemed to have left Iran's oil and nuclear sites untouched. So I think a lot of people looking this and saying okay, Iran seems happy to draw a line under this and move on.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Paul Walla says the Israeli strike avoided oil, nuclear and civilian infrastructure in Iran, and that was in line with a request from the Biden administration.
Speaker 6: Well, turning to the markets now, Nathan, earnings will be front and center, and this week's focus will shift to big tech. We get a preview from Bloomberg's Charlie Pillar.
Speaker 9: Tuesday, it's Google Parent Alphabet. Wednesday, it's Metal Platforms and Microsoft, and then Apple and Amazon after the bell on Thursday. Kate Moore is head of thematic strategy at black Rock. She says, it's all about the outlook.
Speaker 11: The big thing I'm watching though, is not the results from the Third War, but I'm moniagcally focused on the guidance companies are giving for the fourth quarter and for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 9: Also this week, Advanced micro Devices, Caterpillar, x on Mobile, Ford, McDonald's, and Ubs in New York. Charlie Pellet Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Charlie thanks. Another company we're watching, of course, is Boeing. The planemaker plans to launch a capital raise as early as today. Let's get the latest from Bloomberg's John Tucker. So, John, how much are we talking here?
Speaker 12: The company sent to raise more than fifteen billion dollars. Nathan Boeing's advisors have been lining up the potential investors. The transaction likely to include shares as well as debt that can be converted into equity. Now, to put this in perspective, a fifteen billion dollars share sale would be the largest equity offering since twenty twenty. Boeing needs money to keep its investment great credit rating and to fund any eventual turnaround from the crippling strike. The company's on pace to use around four billion dollars in cash during the fourth quarter well. The planemaker expects to continue burning cash through the first half of next year as well. The Bowing factory workers voted last week to reject the company's latest contract offer, which included a wage increase of thirty five percent spread over four years. In New York, I'm John Tucker, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 6: All right, John, thank you now to the latest on the health scare at McDonald's. The fast food giant says quarter pounders will return to menus at all restaurants this week after ruling out beef patties as a source of a multi state ecali outbreak that has sickened to dozens and left one person dead.
Speaker 8: The E.
Speaker 6: Coli infections appear to stem from these slivered onions served on top of the hamburger. The company had stopped selling the burgers in about twenty percent of its more than thirteen thousand US restaurants. They will return without onions.
Speaker 2: Eli Lelly expects to start selling its highly popular weight loss drug in Hong Kong as early as the end of this year. Lilly's SHOT's already been approved in mainland China for weight loss and diabetes, but it remains unclear when it plans to launch the product in the country. His rival Nova Nordisk is already selling its diabetes drug in honk in mainland China, but its weight loss version has not been made available yet.
Speaker 6: And Nathan the Yen has we can do a three month low. After Japan's ruling coalition failed to win a majority in parliament, the country now faces a period of political instability as its two main blocks race to form a government. Bloomberg's Paul Jackson in Tokyo says this outcome was a risk the Prime Minister took in calling this election.
Speaker 13: This was a big gamble to call an early election, hoping that a kind of new leader popularity bump might give him a mandate to lead the party over the coming years. Instead, what he's ended up with is the worst result for the ruling coalition since two thousand and nine. So now he's going to pick up the pieces.
Speaker 6: And Bloomberg's Paul Jackson says Prime Minister is Shiba promised to take responsibility for restoring political stability following the loss. According to Japan's constitution, a special session of Parliament must be held within thirty days of a general election to choose a prime minute. Honest time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr Michael, Good Morning, Good Morning Karen.
Speaker 5: Sentencing in Washington, d C. Today for a Hollywood actor who pleaded guilty to being part of the January sixth breach of the US Capitol. Jay Johnston, pleaded guilty to a felony account of civil disorder back in January. Johnston is arguably the most famous, having appeared in Bob's Burger's and arrested development Prosecutors will ask for eighteen months in prison for Johnston, saying he was part of that mob that day. Johnston will seek leniency. His defense lawyer says he has lost work over this. Pro Western opposition parties in Georgia are crying foul at Saturday's parliamentary elections that leave pro Moscow parties with a majority, with surveys showing a vast majority of Georgian's wanting to join the European Union observers fan across Georgia. The head of the European delegation, Antonio Lopez Tourist White says irregularities were detected by observers.
Speaker 14: We expressed did concern about the democratic backsliding in Georgia. We fear that the climate of hatred and intimidation that was also mentioned before we witness on the election, they could seriously undermine the political process in Georgia.
Speaker 5: Georgia's president, who wants to join the EUS, says their country was a victim of a Russian special operation trying to alter the outcome. A new bank rate study confirms what many families already know. Childcare is expensive. Analyst Alex Gaily says there are important websites parents can use to find financial assistance for childcare and local providers.
Speaker 8: Childcare dot goub can take you to your state's website. And that is a great resource to go to to find out more about where you get financial systems and fine childcare in your state.
Speaker 5: Gaily also recommends checking with local county and state offices to see what services, tax breaks, or financial opportunities are available in their area for childcare. The survey found the most expensive states for childcare or New York, New Mexico, and Hawaii, the least expensive where it's South Dakota, North Dakota and Utah. Finally, in a recent study ranks the best cities for Tricker treaders to experience Halloween. The comparison of cities that provide and exciting yet save Halloween are found in a report from the website wallet hub the top Halloween cities New York, Jersey City, Miami, and Las Vegas. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Care all.
Speaker 6: Right, Michael Barr, thank you time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update, brought to you by Tri State. Audie. Here's John stash Hour. John, good morning.
Speaker 4: You want to carry a World Series in the Bronx first time in fifteen years. One question going into tonight's Game three was answered yesterday. The Dodgers say showy Otani good to go despite the shoulder injury suffered late in Game two, and now we'll see about possible changes in the Yankee lineup. Austin Wells four for forty one in the postseason with eighteen strikeouts. Alex Erdugo won for his last seventeen. Ten teams have come back from being down to nothing in the World Series. In fact, tapping the last two times these teams have met, Anthony Rizzo knows only once as a team come back from three nothing down.
Speaker 3: This team has no quit.
Speaker 10: So the biggest thing is we win.
Speaker 4: If we win that game Monday, you know, a pressure goes to the other side and to make this a series. Yanks will start Clark Schmidt. Dodgers go with Walker Bueller. Giants will be playing at the same time in Pittsburgh and you can hear the game on Bloomberg Radio in New York. Bloomberg eleven three to zero has Giants Steelers tonight, starting with the pregame at six thirty. The Jets fifth straight loss twenty five twenty two at New On The Patriots score the when he touched on on a fourth down run with twenty two seconds left. It's the pats first win since Week one. Upset of the day was in Cleveland, Browns beat the Ravens twenty nine twenty four to end a five game losing streak. It was ending Baltimore's five game win streak. No question about the best finish of the day. That was in Washington. The Bears had taken their first lead with twenty five seconds left. One last chance for the Commanders. Here comes to Hail Mary, but the game on the line and the bustle's stop Brown. Oh my goodness, this Dallas time. Crazy call on CBS Washington won eighteen fifteen last night. The forty nine ers that scored the Cowboys twenty one ns in the third quarter and beat Dallas thirty to twenty four. Then that's home opener one fifteen one oh two win over Milwaukee. John Stishwar Bloomberg Sports Karen Nathan.
Speaker 3: Coast to Coast on Bloomberg Radio nationwide on Syrias XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: With eight days to go until election day, both Donald Trump and Kamala Harris are honing their closing arguments in the final stretch of an air tight presidential campaign.
Speaker 3: We're going to defeat Kamala Harrison.
Speaker 4: We're going to win back the beautiful White House.
Speaker 7: Turn the page on that same old, tired playbook because we are exhausted with it.
Speaker 2: The Vice president rallied her supporters last night in Philadelphia, while the former president held a marathon event in the heart of his hometown at New York's Madison Square Garden. For more, we are joined this morning by Bloomberg News senior editor Bill Ferries. Bill, Good morning. The former president promised a spectacle at the storied arena. What were some of your takeaways.
Speaker 15: Well, it definitely was a spectacle. I mean, it's starting with a basically six hours in length there at Madison Square Gardens, kind of an iconic venue for a political rally. I don't think Donald Trump's remarks are probably what's going to be remembered most from it. He gave what he said a lot of the things that are common about in his stump speeches. But I think what's really drawn a lot of attention are some of the speakers who came before him. There was quite a number of people who are well known to Trump supporters and conservative audiences. Tucker Carlson was there, Doctor Phil made an appearance supporting Trump. But there were a lot of comments, including some by a comedian who was there, that have been really taken to task overnight. A lot of talking insulting Puerto Rico, saying it's a floating island of garbage that has been latched upon by a lot of Hair supporters, prominent Puerto Ricans in the United States, saying that that reflects how the Trump campaign views the island and views Puerto Ricans. Interestingly enough, outside of Florida, which has the largest population of Puerto Ricans in the continental US, the second largest group is in Pennsylvania, so one of the key battleground states. So nobody knows at this point if that will make much of a difference in the election or not. But it's something that Harris supporters are talking a lot about overnight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess Harris was talking about it herself with a post on x talking about a plan to boost the Puerto Rican economy and power grid. I mean, how could she potentially seize on this at a time when just a few days ago, former President Trump was in the sun Belt trying to court Latino voters.
Speaker 15: Yeah, you know, it's hard this election. The results will get sliced and diced a thousand ways, and it's hard to know what moves the needle at this point. But it is kind of interesting that Trump's event was marred or marked by these comments at the same time that Kamala Harris was out talking to Latino business owners and and voters in Philadelphia. So, whether you know, everyone is trying to get any type of little extra edge they can in these final days. They obviously need to turn out their core supporters, but they're trying to build on that and trying to lure some of those relatively few undecided voters at this point. And these are the kind of things that, you know, if Harris ends up winning, people will be looking at the Pennsylvania results to see if that mattered, and if Trump wins, they'll be looking at some of these other things that have happened in at the end stages of the campaign to see if that made the difference.
Speaker 2: In our last minute bill, we also heard from Elon Musk on the stage, one of former President Trump's biggest supporters financially certainly promising to cut two trillion dollars from the federal budget if he joins a Trump administration. Is that realistic?
Speaker 15: It's hard to see where where, you know, how that gets through. He was responding to a question by from Canter Fitzgerald's CEO, Howard Lutnick, who said, how much could he rip out of the budget that Harris, that Biden and Harris last proposed, And he said, yeah, as you mentioned, two trillion dollars, I mean right now. Trump's economic pitch to voters has largely been on tax cuts, whether it's tax cuts for tips, tax cuts for home caregivers, things like that. There hasn't been a lot of talk about new revenue, and so the cost of those tax cuts over the coming decade estimated in the trillions. To add two trillion to that, it's hard to imagine where that comes when half the budget is defense and you know things like that, so gonna be tough to find it.
Speaker 6: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning on Apple, Spotify, or manywhere else you listen.
Speaker 6: You can also listen live each more starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app Now with Apple CarPlay and Android Atto interfaces.
Speaker 6: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg and News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now and your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: And I'm Nathan Hager. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg dab ray