Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Hecma Harrison, and Newie Scrugs.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to the Players Lounge, sponsored by Tostitos, the official chip and dip of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: You're not rocking with the best.
Speaker 3: I'm heck m Harrison, He's Danny McCray. That's Newish who.
Speaker 4: Were starting the show. We got to start up.
Speaker 2: We can build now.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what I used to say the only forty two. I acknowledge it's still very Church.
Speaker 2: But that way it's still that. I'm gonna have to change at BC. I'm gonna have to change at BC. I got come back, come back. All the had.
Speaker 3: Know everything, you got, all of that, after all of that BG I would have got. But this is the Player's Lounge. Man and man, we got so much to talk about. But y'all know me if I'm if I'm hosting, I want to find out man house your weekends.
Speaker 2: A lot of things going on d MA. I'm gonna start with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen, I'm good for the most part, you know what I'm saying. We had a nice little halftime performers with NFL Flag. The EU teams got to play during halftime of the first preseason game. So everything was good right until I walked in here. Okay, and if anybody who's watching, if you was watching last week, okay, the angle is a little different because Barry Church stole my spot. Okay, and I'm not gonna forget this some context. I'm not gonna forget you stole my spot context on this spot.
Speaker 2: How about you? How are you?
Speaker 4: Brother? I'm good.
Speaker 5: I moved the daughter into her dorm room, so yeah, yeah, man, was it was good. It was good sitting up in the church because they wanted to pray over the soccer teams.
Speaker 4: Was in church and I'm gonna lie, man. I started crying, started crying.
Speaker 5: Man, you're dropping your first child off of school, and you know, it's like, wow, here you are because you never forget. Obviously, all three of you got a child, so you never forget the first one. And just everything there and how did I get from.
Speaker 4: There to here?
Speaker 2: Start crying on us.
Speaker 4: No, I ain't gonna cry, but that's where I was. But that's just what it was. It's like, you know, wow wow.
Speaker 5: So so that was my weekend and one hundred and nine degrees driving from Tyler back to town.
Speaker 4: It was getting burnt up on the steering wheel. Was hot. But all good, man, all good.
Speaker 3: So good, good deal. I love to hear it. Man, b see what about you manas the weekend?
Speaker 6: Everything, everything's amazing, man, family doing good. Kids start at school next what tomorrow? Tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Get out that it's gonna get a little bit better.
Speaker 3: Was gonna get better. You got what's your window? You got a four or five hour win, so drop off seven thirty. I don't gotta do nothing again to about one ish, So one ish please make I'll.
Speaker 4: Wenesday. So that's how you Wednesday?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how you know what's going on with Marry Church. I'm gonna tell y'all for me. You know, I told y'all man, my son broke his hip training about a month ago.
Speaker 2: Went to the doctor today, that thing is all healed up.
Speaker 3: We wanted to go boy, so we trained back on the tracks, you know what I mean, sophomore playing Boysit man, we're looking forward to it, but hey, we got to talk about some cowboy football. Dallas Cowboys played on Saturday at four pm at eighteen and T Stadium, and man, there are a lot of good things that came out of that of that preseason game. But one of the big things that everybody in Cowboy Nation is talking about is number forty two Deuce Vonn and Neuie. Tell me what you saw, man, Anything good came out of that, especially the running back position that we've been talking about. I mean, at nauseam, I think what we saw in camp translated to the field.
Speaker 5: We alway talking about all aux Noar. This, this gentleman is not all Auxnar. And in so many ways, this kid performed like he did at Kansas State. You know, you had question marks and then you see him playing, Oh okay, he's fine.
Speaker 4: So he's going mad the football team.
Speaker 5: And it was just kind of interesting being in the media tent and people with well, you know, you can't have turping, and you can't have you can't have Duce Vaughn. Why not, and just even reading Calvin Watkin's like, well, you know, what.
Speaker 2: Do you do?
Speaker 5: It's turfing in Trump said turping on the bubble. How's a Pro Bowl returner on a bubble. It's not gonna happen. It's not gonna happen. They're going to keep both, which is also why McCarthy wanted to see Turpin in a receiver role.
Speaker 4: Let me see what else you can do.
Speaker 5: So to me, when you start talking about you know, who's the dude should.
Speaker 4: Be working for his job?
Speaker 5: Somebody like send me for Hoko, who's not a special team's god. So if you ask yourself, go into a football season, who's gonna help you on Sundays?
Speaker 4: Who's giving you more players? Turpin, simme foco.
Speaker 5: He's pretty simple, right, interpret and you go back to duzawand gonna be on the football team.
Speaker 4: They like it. Hey, coach likes it. Likes he's gonna tell some jersey he might sell more forty two jerseys.
Speaker 3: Safety's running backs, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: You know, and I'm coming out of that for too, because I.
Speaker 4: Mean, you can't four two at the running backspy forty three.
Speaker 2: But that was wrong with that. We'll see, we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 6: But nah, you know, coming from that game, of course, we're talking about due fun and you know, I think he showed a lot of us that he belongs in this league. You know, he belongs with still question marks on him out there as far as I'm concerned because of those, because when we look at it, all right, when we look at what he was doing, Yes, does he have great vision.
Speaker 2: Of course, he can hit.
Speaker 6: The hole and he's extremely elusive back there, so he had some home run potential.
Speaker 4: But to me, when I look.
Speaker 6: At it, I mean, it was one preseason game and he was going against if we're being honest, he's going against guys that or just came out of college just like he did. He wasn't going against the first team you know, Jacksonville defense out there. He was going against threes and fours out there, and he looked impressive. So to me, I just need a bigger sample size. You know, maybe next game he goes out there and he plays in the first quarter, he plays in a you know, earlier in that first half, to see what he can do against a little bit better competition. But for the competition that he went out there against, he played well. He was elusive, he made plays out there, and like news said, he's gonna make this team. To me, I'm with Calvin Waker's a little bit of Calvin Clarence Hill a little bit when it comes down to Watkins where it's Turpin or Douce whan Ill, because to me that that's who roster spots taken up by almost the same individual gadget type guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, so it's up in the air. I'm gonna go against you a.
Speaker 3: Little bit, just because the semi for Hoko thing is really giving Turping a spot. To me last week, I'm sitting there and I'm saying, you know what if if Simmi Fooko go out there and he plays, but if he went out there and he showed it he could do something in the game, then I think Turpin will be in trouble one because I don't think that Turping and Deuce are the same. I don't think you can use him the same anymore. After I watched him. Deuce is are running back all right. He's gonna be in the backfield and he's gonna be It's gonna be a few gadgets, but they can run. They can line him up and run the read rezone. They can run the read option. They can do all that stuff with Deuce his ability to be elusive. I'm just I said this to you on Saturday night. I said, listen, what they thought Clyde Edwards Hilaire was supposed to be when he got into the league, being able to do what he did in college is what I saw in the one preseason game. Albeit what I saw from Duce Vaughan when he played that game. So you see him make those strides towards r B two, not RB three, And it doesn't concern you at all as far as blocking third down even no, no, no, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't say RB two. I push.
Speaker 3: What I saw from him. So when I watched and this is ls you think. When I saw Clyde Edwards Hilaire play in college, what I expected to see him do when he got to the Kansas City was what I saw duce Von do.
Speaker 2: Be elusive, still run with some power.
Speaker 3: So it's still not you can't like we saw him get picked up at practice, You're not gonna see him get picked up like that in the game because you got to try to tackle the guy, right. And when you add the element end of like okay, now we're going live, you can see that he has a little bit more elusivity than what you had.
Speaker 2: Saw out there practice.
Speaker 3: And I think that is gonna bowl well for him now you know, see me, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what Sydney got.
Speaker 6: But if he's not RB two, all right, If he's not you know, solidified as that running back too, he's not, So is he just gonna be a gadget guy RB three?
Speaker 4: So how many touches is RB three get? And he will put RB three in there?
Speaker 3: For if they said we're gonna run the ball as much as McCarthy said, he's gonna run the ball, and depending on how it starts with the offensive line, I think we'll be running the ball a lot. So, putting in context the game on Saturday, there were twenty two rushes.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's just say.
Speaker 3: In a normal game, if you have twenty two touches, the majority of those are gonna be taken by Tony Pollard getting seventeen.
Speaker 2: Eight he is seventeen eighteens.
Speaker 3: Then you're distributing those in between Duce and Ronald Rico dall or whoever else. Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, listen. I think that's fairy. But just like Tony poul and Zeke, if you got a guy that's getting the game doing what deuce deal if he plays against he comes out in week one and he plays like he played on Saturday. All right, you're gonna tell me we're gonna sit here and say nah, because he's RB three, he can only get two carris. So you're gonna say, we're gonna put this guy in the game and see what he can do. Because he's he's obviously a difference maker change of pace to our one change of pace guy. But he's one of tho guys you get out there on Beef and he said, okay, he's hide behind the offensive line. He's hard to see. We can run screens with him, we can run gadget plays with him. Oh yeah, and he can run it between the tackles. They put him down there to score on the four yard line and.
Speaker 2: He makes a move. He does it. I mean almost textbook to run that he had it. It was a great run.
Speaker 3: But now, and let me just say this as far as the offensive coordinator, now, Mike McCarthy in his mind, when you're putting toge other a deuce package, and I think what you're alluding to is a RB three, you keep a guy like that just for four or five plays, what else is he gonna do? But if you have a package like that, what would that package entail.
Speaker 5: For some of the some of the screenplays they ran out there were pretty cool and McCarty.
Speaker 4: Thumpa's like they can't. He's like, they're trying to find it.
Speaker 5: So there'll be packages in there for him, I think obviously Tony Powler's one. I think duce right now is three at two. You're looking for Malik Davis, ric O'dowdell, Ronald Jones, who's gonna miss two games because of a suspension, and then he's missing camp right now, and you know, my man holds onto the ball goes under the end zone.
Speaker 2: Then it was a nice it was a nice play.
Speaker 4: He showed some explosives.
Speaker 5: But I think so so so, I think they're going to have a tough choice basically between Rico dal and Elik Davis at this point time. And so I think there's gonna be some guys cut that they bring back. Take for instance, Semi for Hoko, who can be cut. Let's say it's between Davis or down one of those guys. Because they know the system other team systems, they won't necessarily know. I can see them bringing those guys back because this is what they've done in the past. And if Will Greer happens to not make the football team, I can see Will Greer being a guy that doesn't get picked up by anyone because they say, maybe he doesn't know enough of our system and we have who we want to be our number three guy, and the Cowboys can bring about this practice squad's gonna be a very interesting place and they're gonna have to make those decisions. That's why the Seattle game is so big because who plays well again that you start to say, and you guys, notice, we can't hide him.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, right, we can't.
Speaker 5: Right, we can't let him get out there. So that's that's the interesting thing with some of these positions where you're like, well, we like this guy, you like that guy, who is it? You get cut and you say we can get back, like Cooper Rush last year. Cooper Rush will not be cut again. You know they're gonna keep him, but that's what they did last year.
Speaker 4: Who can we let go?
Speaker 5: And maybe another team doesn't want it because they're like, man, he's not gonna.
Speaker 4: Really know our system, our package.
Speaker 5: But that's why a Duce Vaughan is gonna make this team and a Turpe's gonna make this team because if you put those two out there right, you're not getting him back.
Speaker 3: We all agreement that duce Von stock is I'll get that shooting through.
Speaker 4: He's off all he's off. He has made the team.
Speaker 3: And you are saying that Urping is for sure on this team because he made the Pro Bowl last year.
Speaker 2: He made the Pro Bowl even with the fumbling issues. Let me get yeah, little fumble light is there.
Speaker 4: Little made the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 5: Fossil is Fossil has juice. Fossil's got juice. But right now, if you don't have Turping there, who's doing it?
Speaker 3: They kicked them if they kicked the ball to deuce if they I mean because they punter fumbled the snap. So it was like one of those rugby kicks. He didn't really get an opportunity to get out there and show.
Speaker 2: What he can do.
Speaker 3: But those are the type of as we said, Okay, let's get him back there on part return and see if he has that same type of juice when you get him the ball in his hands then and can he secured the ball one because remember Cole Beasley used get put back there because he could just.
Speaker 5: Won, he could catch the ball, he could get so but also with Turping, there was a little friendly fire there that led to the the fumble. So but but but I put the turps on for me, Turples on this football team. And one of the things that we got to talk to him at camp out a little bit was, I think it was twenty two some odd football games when not that he had played between Cowboys, you know, the preseason and the NFL season going off the uf USFLA he didn't really he was tired. So he's had an off season. I'm looking forward for the bounce back against Seattle.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 5: But but to me, Turping and vond to me, these are not question marks. For some media members as we're talking about this team, they're like, man, I don't know if you keep both of them. Yeah, you're keeping them both, because if you put either one of them out there, they're gone.
Speaker 2: I'm just telling you.
Speaker 3: If you put duce Von out there the return kicks or return punts and they let him get the ball in his hands and he shows that he could do something, then I think you should be worried about turping. One thing about it, and when I saw duce Von, he is instant energy for your offense. He just provided a spark immediately. Just the way he runs, I mean elusive. He had two guys running to each I don't know if you saw that. I mean, come on, man, I mean tell me. I'm sure Funds heard this whole life. His low center of gravity makes it very hard for guys to be able to tackle him. But I just think that one thing about him is what the Cowboys offense has been needing, especially just an instant energy guy, and he gives that immediately to this offense. But switching gears here and going back over to the other side. Another position that and I think we got some players over there is in the linebacker room, and we talked about this defense being elite in them taking the next step, and we knew that the linebackers would have to come front and center to represent this dominance on defense. Man, we've got some players over there, And I started with the Marvin Overshaw the young man.
Speaker 5: And give Will McLay and the scouting scouting department credit when they have drafted a young man who fits what they want. So many times he want to draft players based on you know whatever whatever, But who fit you know the size of measurables?
Speaker 4: Who fits what it is you do? This young man, he's the.
Speaker 5: Right culture, he's got the right attitude, Texas native cowboy fan, wants to be here, wants to play the special teams, knows his role. So you can't get enough young guys like that. So he's going to make this football team. Once again, who do you look at that you say may not make it right now?
Speaker 4: A linebacker court based off this game.
Speaker 5: Jabrill Cox is a guy who I could see not making the fifty three, but they say we want you on the practice squad. And unless he makes him plays, because I go back to this, if you put a guy out there, who's gonna take him right now? Jabril hasn't got enough tape right now, that's going to say to somebody we need him. And that's Seattle's big. Let's tell you got right now. Seattle's big for a couple of guys where you just say, okay, I gotta show him something because you only have one more game after that. But I don't anticipate Mike playing a lot of starters, So I think there's gonna be opportunity for some other guys to show their wars against some first team guys. If Pete Carroll decides that this game is going to be a dress rehearsal for him in Seattle, and so that's gonna be pretty key. If you can see some of these backup players play against Seattle's once and bother by the way, I think is gonna be even better football team than they were last year.
Speaker 4: I thought they came on strong at.
Speaker 2: The end, but you think about thirty five. Thirty five played, he played well.
Speaker 3: You can see that they know what they're doing, that they're being coached right right, because you can see them reading guardpools. You can see them making sure they were setting the edge. Then you could see the speed to chase guys down to make sure they make the tackles. I say they I'm sorry, I'm gonna get that guy later overside.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: He looked great, all right, And like I said, it's only it's only one week, but I think that Jacksonville still has some talent out there.
Speaker 2: And then I know at the beginning of the game they started us to win. Yeah they will.
Speaker 3: So he looked, he looked good. I think him, Lady Vanderisch and Damon Clark. I think that is a linebacker crew that you're wrecking with right there, right because they're not just one trick ponies, right They can run, they can hit, and you can see him getting covers. Those are those are the type of tall, lean guys that we have at the linebacker position. And I think that's gonna bote well.
Speaker 5: For UK translator does the thing that translated from Auctionar we keep talking about the all aux Ar guys, it translated for Overshawn Church.
Speaker 3: For you being a former safety, we've talked about your run curse and when you see Overshawan, the guy that's a tweener that can play that in dan Quinn's system, what is your mind state when you see a guy that's not just a hybrid guy. He's a linebacker, but he started out in the safety in college and he can basically do it all.
Speaker 6: As you see on the preseason game. Well, the more you can do, the better, I mean, that's what coaches always saying. This guy he's versatile, Like you said, he can play that safety position. He can be in the box and be that linebacker sideline and Sideinde. We know he has a speed, We know he has a speed, we know he has the coverage ability. But to me, what stood out because I didn't know if he had enough bricks in his pocket, Like I didn't know if he had enough weight to play at that linebacker position and kind of deal with those big offensive linemen down there. But what stood out to me, I think it was either a third and one or maybe it was a fourth and one early in that game against the starters, and they went right downhill at Overshawn and it was him and the running back.
Speaker 2: Right in the hole.
Speaker 6: Boom stood his ground right there, pushing back at the point of attack. So that shows that he can go in there and he can battle amongst the giants in there, as well as do all the stuff sideline the sideline. So like that, he said, that's trio of linebackers is going to be extremely impressive, and I'm excited to see what they can do.
Speaker 3: Now newly, I want to go to DeMont Clark because he's a guy that came in last season with the neck injury. They were not really expecting a lot from him. Got a lot of playing time out of him last season, but especially in camp and in the preseason. Man, you see why dan Quinn was high on this guy with just his broad athletic ability.
Speaker 5: I go back to Michael Parsons who said, I'm challenging guys to come meet meet the challenge that lie backer room. You know, you still have Parsons in it. So here's Parsons and that thing is gone down here and it's just kind of rolling out. He got Lake Vandersh's talking super Bowl and he's looking good out here.
Speaker 4: So I think these guys are all.
Speaker 2: It's all.
Speaker 5: You don't want to be the one right not making play it because you don't want me the want to get talked about.
Speaker 4: You don't want to.
Speaker 5: I don't think you want to incurred a wrath of Michael Parson, you know, who could be a little bit bully, you know at times about what he's expecting here. So I think they've got a standard and you see everybody trying to meet that standard in that room. And give credit to coach Scott McCurley, give him some credit here about what we're seeing so far that I can't say that it translated, which was.
Speaker 4: My biggest concern.
Speaker 5: I'm seeing all this stuff here Okay, well we see it at at and T Stadium.
Speaker 4: So far we've seen it.
Speaker 5: I love the fact that they've got one more week in California. Now go take what you have. For the guys who check the boxes that were playing and you know, go trending up, can he do it again? And for the guys who may have trended down, can you fix it? I think this is another key week here for backup players. And that's what Cowboy fans have to really get into. They know pretty much the guys they want to get out. Parsons is gonna be fine, is gonna be fine? Can these other guys who at some point in this season are going to have to help this football team. Can they get him out there? Get him going? And I think that's where Mike McCarthy hasn't got enough credit hacking for just his ability to develop these young players. And we're seeing dudes who come in here and they're getting it done, which is to me, that's exciting. That's exciting because in the salary cat world, knowing you're gonna have to pay some folks around here, it's about to be what you know it was. It predos A eighty twenty it's about to be ninety five to five.
Speaker 3: Here, and this is an easy subject for you, LSU linebacker, So.
Speaker 2: Listen, listen.
Speaker 3: He started okay against the starters, and he was a standout guy. You look at the first eight players of the game. I think he made tackles on four or five of them. It was a round the ball on the rest of them. All right. I think what happens is some people may have forgotten that the moon Clark was the guy.
Speaker 2: LSU. He was the guy.
Speaker 3: So we talked about like Michael Parsons and saying, live up to the standard. The standard for Damon Clark has always been high, right, and then he comes in last year where he probably expected to play a little bit more and do a little better, and now he's like, I got my full year. I finna show these dudes what I can do, like I should be starting. And you could tell that like that was his mindset when he was out there in the game. The dude was all over the place and this is etn he was tackling, this is he was out there. He was out there balling. You know what I'm saying, make sure everbody's lined up in the rights. But he was doing everything that he needed to do. And it was exciting to see because I say this, I met him at Brady James House and he was telling me, Hey, man, I was like, so, what's different about here in l s U. He was like, well, you know, L s U. It's college. It was the thing. We could do whatever we want to. That's fine. We were going to go out there. We're still gonna be able to play to our best. I've gotten here and I've stopped drinking, I've stopped doing all the extra stuff. I'm just focused on football. And then you see him go out there and the words, I'm like, okay, yeah, yeah, you you're right the man that he was an LSU because I'm saying you watched an old L s U tape when he was there.
Speaker 2: He was the guy on defense.
Speaker 4: And it has to be this way?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 4: Get ready pay Mike Parsons.
Speaker 5: That's what You've got to get these younger players to come in here and get them under contract at a at a nice low price for a few years, because hey, this Parsons is gonna cost Oh yeah, you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Be h He's gonna back up the breaks truck.
Speaker 4: This is quarter But he's gonna even get quarterback money. I mean, you know he's not giving them discount.
Speaker 3: Yeah, BC, When you looked at the starting lineup on defense for the Dallas Cowboys, you had Dante Fowler, had Sam Williams, Williams. You had guys on our quote unquote non starters going out there that are legitimate first you know, first team guys that are clogging these reps and that I'll tell you how deep that linebacker Rulemans. But the job that they did on Saturday, what you think about and will you.
Speaker 2: Know, I think they played outstanding.
Speaker 6: And I feel like Williams is, I think he's gonna just continue to get better and better. He already has a size, he already has the build and athletic ability to be a dominant edge rusher out here. I think he'll just continue to get better and better as he follows, you know, like a Micah Parsons or a d Law out there. And and like you said, the second team for this defense right now could be a starting defense for any other team in the National Football League. I mean, when you got Dante Fowler, who has a you know, a career year sack when he had thirteen sacks in one year. You got Sam Williams coming off the edge. Just imagine what you can do at that linebacker position. When you got your dying package, you can have just Themond Clark Overshan right there. I mean, it's gonna be outstanding. I'm extremely excited to what this defense can bring to the table.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take our first break, but when we come back, we're gonna talk about the quarterbacks because it's a lot of pressure being added in there in that quarterback room.
Speaker 2: It's the players lounge. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Once he used the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products. Check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lipbomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker ten bucks free shipping.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot Com is just a few taps away. Put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For crypto pros, rookies, and anyone in between, blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here. What's Smoothie King and Smoothie wants to ask you, what's that sound? That's the sound of you and everyone else absolutely loving New smoothie bowls from Smoothie.
Speaker 2: King and Whoo Me Too.
Speaker 3: These smoothie bowls start with Usaii and Pataya and are handcrafted with fresh topics like sliced bananas, sweetberries, crunchy purely Elizabeth Granola and his savory peanut butter Drizzle. New smoothie bowls only at Smoothie King, The official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tours, is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the Team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Wallas with Star Sports Tours. You can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 4: Back to the.
Speaker 3: Come watching the Dallas Cowboys practice at the Star in Frisco during training camp presented by American Airlines. Free open practices will take place at the Ford Center starting with Cowboy Night on August twenty second and run through the twenty fourth. For more information, visit Dallascowboys dot com Slash Training Camp Back in action.
Speaker 2: Here on the players Lounge.
Speaker 3: Newly Shrugs is back in the building, Barry Churches in the building, and Danny McCrae is also in the building.
Speaker 2: We got the whole players Lounge in there today. Nobody's on live view.
Speaker 3: Everybody is officially in the building, but we're gonna talk about the quarterback position because obviously we're watching closely. Cooper Rush, Will Greer, Cooper rush had he was ten for twelve, all right and breaking breaking.
Speaker 6: Throw that on there, go ahead, Hey, breaking up.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're about we're about to go into this and we're gonna talk about leverage and all that.
Speaker 2: They saw enough I got the count was all pro guard.
Speaker 3: Zach Martin reaches agreement, reworked his deal. It's now worth up to eighteen million dollars.
Speaker 2: So he got his moneyball.
Speaker 4: Oh, you knew it had to happen.
Speaker 2: He got his moneyball.
Speaker 3: And you know what you were talking about that at the break, you were asking that question about the offensive line, and I think what happened Zach Martin's absence and everybody seeing what was going on at the right guard position, it was like, enough is enough, let's play is playing with this and let's get Zach back.
Speaker 2: And to be like yeah, crazy enough.
Speaker 5: So when you say reworked, but eighteen mil is not the twenty, this this this this is doable.
Speaker 4: Okay? Doable?
Speaker 6: Is it thirteen and a half okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we scheduled to be a thirteen yeah, and fourteen. So now it's an additional eight point five plus million. So so now you're gonna get paid up north to eighteen for the next two years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but look definitely that the line play on.
Speaker 2: Gloss that.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, you gotta he better come in with a bag of everybody. And thanks gosh, Saturday.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank.
Speaker 5: You, because I'm sure you know somebody upside he went up there, Shanhaimer the play calling, Hey, hey, what saying is suing all that posturing?
Speaker 4: Ain't nobody door got new?
Speaker 2: We care talking about leverage, leverage. We're just gonna move on, you know, future value current. Yeah, their phone called me.
Speaker 4: You know this one. This was real simple this you know what happened.
Speaker 5: Game happened, game, the game happened, and it was yeah about that. Somebody went up there to closed the door. Got that leverage, you know, so what is he?
Speaker 2: What do you want?
Speaker 4: We wanted to let the young guys be. Okay, you know what, Boss, We showed you, Boss. We let the young guys play.
Speaker 5: But you saw, boss, this is this is we we we This is as good a you're gonna get. And this is this is the beauty of John Taylor, great cowboy right always said.
Speaker 4: Sports is fluid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sports is fluid, and you know that Saturday made it real fluid.
Speaker 4: So all of a sudden, whatever they were thinking, lever, we're here, we're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I guess we really don't have to talk about.
Speaker 4: The Josh Ball Josh Josh Boll seventy five may not make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna look, so how do you how do.
Speaker 4: You keep dousing? Turn seventy five?
Speaker 5: Seventy five seventy five might be on the street street.
Speaker 3: But as much as you credit this off, this this this coaching staff for developing players, and they've given this guy a lot of leeway Josh Ball to make the squad with injury, Well, let's go. But it's specifically number seven five, moving him from tackle back inside the guard. It's just never has developed for him as a player. And I'm telling y'all Saturday, when I was watching, I'm like, whoa, you know, look, I know this guy is getting reps and he's probably getting better through the reps and he's getting but that ain't.
Speaker 2: It, brother, I don't have it. And somebody somebody took the cover. Somebody took the cover off the button.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gonna smash that.
Speaker 5: Enough, got Zach Marpain, Zach better bring him some bring you a good old goodie bad thanks.
Speaker 3: You watch that game and you know what you could be and you know what could hold you back, and then you make that phone call.
Speaker 5: Well, look, well we know this when the draft, like everybody don't make it. Yeah, that makes you right at everybody to make it. Everyone deserves the opportunity to fail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an opportunity to fail.
Speaker 5: He may still make it, but right now, and maybe they even a trade or what not, but.
Speaker 4: Right now, clearly clearly.
Speaker 2: Balls who drave the mall.
Speaker 5: We've seen enough people roll out of here who've gone from the cowboys, who've gone on and played other places.
Speaker 2: The government's gone on, got paid.
Speaker 5: Remember Big Corey couldn't find the field here, ended up going.
Speaker 4: Gus was up there starting for the cold.
Speaker 5: So we have seen guys leave here and go places, and and even if they're just backup players, we've seen them be able to go. And so don't starting is one thing. But can he be on somebody squad in the NFL as a backup player?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: The offensive the offensive line left a lot to be desired. I mean there was there were some things that was happening that obviously they That's why Zach Martin.
Speaker 2: There you go. They make those adjustments. What we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: We're gonna blow through this second break and go all the way through.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: But I want to talk to you because I know your favorite subject Nwie is Jalen Tober JT Money did his thing, made some plays and you can see the confidence though, you can see the confidence in the player that is. First year, his confidence was zero.
Speaker 5: We talked about this on the show. Just a guy who who could improve? Who could And he's done everything you need to do. He's been here, he's gotten the coaches, McCarthy shot and hiring, You've gone him, been around dock. He's done his part. As much as we saw. Terror still improved from that first year because it was he had a tough first year. He improved it the second year. So right now, Jalen Tolbert's on track to do that mother guy.
Speaker 2: So much you other guy sim boss man fat.
Speaker 5: I just I just I just I'm just saying, guys, two guys, I'm like, maybe we could see you know. I was looking like, what can you do this year with you know, with us? I was looking at Ball, could he get better? I was looking at Tolbert could he get better. He's looking at Kevin Jones. Could he get better?
Speaker 4: Right out? Only one of him's gotten better?
Speaker 3: Can I ask you some Okay, going into that game on Saturday, your expectation for boss Man fact Kelvin Joseph was what because now, because what you just said was I was looking at him saying, okay, this could probably maybe going into the game on Saturday, what was your expectation.
Speaker 4: Of I was down on the left Oxun. I just didn't have much.
Speaker 3: But he didn't have a PPU Kelvin Joseph had. I just the best thing he could do is hang out with CJ. Goo and and just trying to have that role.
Speaker 5: It's so so once again you start talking about turping Vaughn. You got a better shot of letting Kelvin Joseph go and bringing him back to your roster.
Speaker 4: So to me, it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Guys like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, it's gonna it's gonna be guys like that.
Speaker 5: You're not letting two guys go who are going to get snatched up. You're gonna be looking at guys like a Cynity, like a Kelvin Joseph, like a Josh Baul that you can put him out there and you go bring him back in because they've got wards that maybe somebody else that's too many wards for me. I didn't see enough on tape that I want. But there's just been some things that camp, some of these guys like Tolbert, what you saw at Oxnart, it translated, it did it translated, And that's a really good thing because to me, right now he's your number four, hands down, right now, he's the four. And so if he's the four, that's where a guy like said, send me in trouble man, because Turf is gonna be in there.
Speaker 2: So that's fine.
Speaker 4: That is that's it Brooks.
Speaker 5: While Brooks didn't have a game, we thought the way it didn't translate from camp, but it Brooks brings them something and he's playing special teams.
Speaker 2: That may be his way on.
Speaker 3: But for you, two guys that went undrafted, that had to completely break your back to get on to the active roster. And I'm sure when you're watching preseason games you're looking for that underdog, you're looking for you in a player. Basically, was there anyone that that everybody's kind of flew under the radar that you said, you know, what. This guy has a legitimate chance with all of these talented players on this roster, to possibly make the roster. You know, let's go back to can I go back to Kevin Jones. I'm gonna go back to Kevin Jones just for a second because I want to continue to make sure I emphasize that I think Kevin Joseph can play football in the National Football League. I think trying to make him be the player that he was in college at the cornerback position is it's gonna take a lot longer than they have time to allow him to try to stay on the roster for I really think as I was watching him in the game, I didn't even watch him at cornerback. I just watched him play gunner. And I want to watch him run down on any other special team that he was on.
Speaker 2: I saw him get double teed, double team. I saw him.
Speaker 3: Continue to fight through and make sure he was continuing to be a difference maker on special teams. And I think that for him and this is no shot at his ability to play cornerback for him right now, I think the most important thing for him is he need to go in and say, hey, coach, I want to be the best I can be on special teams. If that means that y'all need to do whatever y'all got to do to make sure that I can be more focused and y'all can get more reps of me on special teams, then that's what I want to do. I think that is the pass away for you to be on the roster, because if you keep trying what you try to Jacksonville, right, it's like, okay, well we're gonna play them at cornerback and then we'll see if we lose something at special teams, and then you lose it both. Now you have a real issue. And I say that because I went through. I went through that exact thing. I was starting safety. Jody had me on all special teams and we was out there playing all of them and finally they were like, hey, you go back to special teams.
Speaker 5: Could it be a situation where it's c J, Goodwin, Kelvin Joseph as a choice that they make for the fifty three?
Speaker 3: Could be I don't see why you wouldn't pick CJ. Your locker room gotto, your locker room got CJ. You would have the most impact of the locker room by him leaving than you would Kevin Joseph, I believe. And the intriguing thing about Kelvin Joseph, it's just where he was where he was drafted.
Speaker 2: You know. I think if it was if it if it didn't have anything to do with.
Speaker 3: Where he was drafted, I think it's not even you're not even thinking about this and having a conversation on especially with guys like Eric Scott Junior, who you know that that are obviously coming around and doing some really good things. But and I was asking y'all that question about guys that are going under the radar, Guys like John Stevens, the tight end that you see that football. You know, guys like Isaiah Land the defensive end that are making plays may not be someone that you're thinking about to say it's gonna make this squad, but you see some of those guys actually making plays and doing some pretty good work.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be tough.
Speaker 6: I'mnna be honest, but it's gonna be tough for the under underdogs on the defensive side.
Speaker 2: Of the football.
Speaker 6: I mean, when you talk about depth everywhere, there's only so many spots you can have on a team.
Speaker 2: So it's just gonna be.
Speaker 6: Extremely hard for those guys to scratch the service and get in there. I mean, you look how deep we are on the defensive line, the linebacker room now that we see with Overshan coming in secondary, I mean, it's it's gonna be extremely hard to make this football team, especially from a guy that's you know, doesn't have the pedigree.
Speaker 2: It just kind of showing up.
Speaker 4: It's it's gonna be tough.
Speaker 6: To crack this team as an undrafted guy, I think.
Speaker 3: And then our situation, you have to go back and remember its Church always says the depth of the position when we got here was was really light. Okay, they drafted what's who I saying the fourth it was me and Church a Quasi was hurt coming into rookie Minnie Camp and Mike Hamler got hurt, Pat Watkins was injured. Like we had the dominoes fall in our favor, like all the way through for us to get on the roster. And I don't think you don't see that now it's too deep.
Speaker 6: They's too deep right now, deep and young They're too deep and young man.
Speaker 3: And obviously you know, look we still have two preseason games left, and all of these count anything that you're looking for here in these last two preseason games.
Speaker 4: Kicks, man, you can't miss the extras.
Speaker 5: You cannot miss the extra points. So to me, that's something you got it. You have to look at here the NFL. Too many games are coming down the field goals here, and at a certain point time they've also got to figure out what is his range?
Speaker 4: Okay, is Maker was.
Speaker 5: A guy that you could sit out there for a fifty yard field goal. So that's your next thing with this kid, is okay, can you make extra points? And can we find out what is your range before they go out and make some decision on trying to bring a vetter.
Speaker 3: Ninety nine problems in kickers still one of them.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that we are still.
Speaker 3: Going through this with the kick of his Kay was the guy that we had in OTA's He doesn't make it through training camp and here we are, man, still talking about the kicking position. Well, man, we got a hard two thirty out on this, and so look, we'll be back here on the Players Lounge at on Wednesday at one o'clock. Nowise Scruggs is back in the building. Danny McCrae is back in the building. The man over there is Pocket's got the mumps is in the building.
Speaker 2: BC is in the the camp man people know.
Speaker 3: Man, we'll start, you'll finish this thing like we need go the Cowboy. This has been the players, lads, We'll see you rock bottom. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.