Speaker 1: Jobs. Welcome into Jagsam today.
Speaker 2: I'm kind Nannie Stevens, John Osier, and Brian sexsoner with me here today as we get ready to go over a pretty tough holiday weekend for Jags fans, as Jags lost their fourth game in a row to the Bucks, and after the game, Trevor Lawrence pretty much at a loss for words.
Speaker 3: It's really embarrassing and frustrating. And you put a lot of work in to do that, and to look like you don't even practice. I mean, that's what it looks like, which is, you know, it's got a call like you see it sometimes. I mean, it's it's bad all the way around. So we gotta find ways to get better. We gotta get out of our own way. It just feels like everything's so different right now. I just do simple things, you know, make the simple place. Just get back to doing what we what we've done this season at points and when we were playing well and you know, we know we have we have what it takes, but I mean we haven't the last month. So at the most important times, we got to play better and we're not.
Speaker 2: So let's get into our big things here today. Because the first big thing is this team is reeling right now. They had a winless December thus far, they lost four games, and as you heard Trevor say, feels like the team looks like they don't practice. Now he hasn't practiced because of injuries, but the rest of the team has. Doug Peterson tried to figure out exactly what Turyor's trying to say, and when.
Speaker 4: He doesn't practice, maybe he feels that way, you know, And I can I can see that right when when when your quarterback doesn't get the reps he needs during the week and you're trying to get the mental reps for him, and he's also working on you know, the concussion protocol and then getting cleared from that. So there, I can see where he would say something like that. But listen, you guys are you guys are in practice. You see the the way the way we go and what we've done, and you know, the guys are working hard and and but you know we've got some new faces on offense that yeah, they they've they've gotta they've gotta you know, they've got to pay attention to if we're doing kills and alerts and different things at the quarterback. You know, wants to get us into They've got to pay attention, They've got to focus and lock in.
Speaker 2: Brian, those are some strong words from Trevor about what the team's been looking like lately.
Speaker 1: Where's the disconnect here?
Speaker 5: Well, look for me, I was glad to see him express that frustration out loud. He has since his rookie season when things were way off the rails, always been the guy who says the right thing and keeps the focus on the team. To be honest with you, John, I was looking for sort of a Patrick Mahomes moment, you know, that one at the end of that Bills game that the Chiefs lost, that Air had a few weeks ago where he went nuts on the sideline and was so angry about his team. I get it. People express their frustration in different ways, but to me, this was just as far as Trevor has gone down that road of pointing out the deficiencies and not seeming to worry too much about who cared about what he said. And I think it's important because it's his team. This is on him. He's the leader, and if he's frustrated in expressing it to the media, you know he's doing it to his teammates and that gives them a chance to make the correction.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it was his version of you know what Mahomes did at the end of the game. Look, he's not without fault, the pocket stuff, the losing the fumbles. At some point that has to stop or minimize. It's gonna happen. But a lot of the miscommunications with receivers. There's so much to dig into with Trevor's performance, but so much of it not practicing. All that stuff feels like it's adding up a little bit. I wish I had one sentence that could sum up the lead of this section. Reeling they are, but again it's still not irvy, It's still in first place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well silver lining, they are reeling for sure. Let's go to our second big thing, which is another one. Trevor Lawrence had a tough performance against the Bucks, and he left that game with another injury as an ac sprain to his right his throwing shoulder, and that's his fourth injury so far this season. Doug Peterson talked about the violent nature of the game and how he's going to deal with his hurt quarterback.
Speaker 4: My injuries are going to happen and especially to the quarterback position. You know, all the all the injuries that that he has sustained are all you know, all all hits, you know, all contact stuff, and and it's it's part of it, you know, And that's that's his style, and that's his aggressiveness and and you know, he's he's been fortunate enough to bounce back from all of them. So you know, we'll see as he goes this week where he's at. But you know, we've been fortunate that he's been able to be available every every week so far.
Speaker 2: John, we don't know what exactly Trevor's availability is going to practice this week, but you have to imagine he'll be limited in some respect. Is this going to get much better if he's not out there practicing, Well.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's I guess that's the only concern I would have. If he's practicing during the week, or it would practice a little bit, then I have no problem with gutting it through and then playing. The problem is, in the last couple of times he has played without practice, it hasn't looked good, and there's been miscommunications. I don't know if they're on him, if they're on receivers. My senses. Some of the interceptions, they were more on receivers. But if that's causing lack of communication in the offense, then you do wonder if he doesn't practice at all this week, do you again roll him out and start him. I probably would because he's still the guy, and I still think he gives you the best chance to win. But the non practice would give me more pause than I have felt on this issue so far.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he had three turnovers on Sunday, and he didn't practice last week with the head, had three turnovers in Cleveland the week he did in practice with the ankle. I mean, you don't have to really extrapolate too far to realize that Trevor Lee Lawrence needs time to practice. Now, Maibe, you're want to look deeper into it. You can say that he would be better without practice if as on that Thursday night in New Orleans, he had Christian Kirk and he had Zay Jones, and he had his offensive line at full strength. That's the trouble is he's out there throwing to Elijah Cooks, Parker Washington, Tim Jones. The time he isn't there. The familiarity isn't there. They don't get time on the practice field. So there's I mean, it's a huge variable. But John, if you're gonna roll him out there coming off a concussion in Tampa, if he's able to play at all, I don't know why you wouldn't put him out there and give him a chance to get you over the hump. And you know, the playoff scenarios roll out interesting. You know, if the Jaguars don't win this weekend, the other two teams do, it's really dicey for them to even make the playoffs. So my guess is they're gonna find a way to get him on the field.
Speaker 2: Our final big thing today is time for a change because so obviously it's not just the quarterback that's having issues. There's issues everywhere, coaching staff, players, both sides of the ball, special teams, and Doug was asked if you know he should shake things up a little bit, make a big change, start doing the play calling again.
Speaker 1: That's what he had to say.
Speaker 4: We've got to do a better job at taking care of the football. It's not about the plays, it's not about all that. You know, We've got to tackle better and we got to take care of the football. Bottom line, we do those two things. Those give us a chance to win football games. If we don't, then then we're gonna be sitting here, you know, talking about this again. So to me, that's that's the glaring, the glaring differences right now between between winning and losing.
Speaker 2: Brian Doug was very emphatic that when things go wrong, everybody points to the finger, but he feels like those two things are the main issues for them right now.
Speaker 5: To agree with that, yeah, I mean, all you do is watch the game on Sunday and you saw those things, you know, roll out the week before. They have ten turnovers in these four losses, only five takeaways. And how many times on third down and short has there been a mistackle been allowed the quarterback or the other team to keep his offense on the field and make plays.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Look, I can tell you stories about Tom Kaughlin and John about Tony Dungeye. The great coaches believed in familiarity. They wanted these players to know exactly what they were supposed to do. You go shaking things up and changing things, little things, fine, big things like who's calling the plays. I wouldn't do it at this point of the year. And let's be honest, John, Doug has had a hand in the play calling from the start of the season. This has not just been all right, throw it to Press Taylor. These two men know each other so well. There's such an intricacy between their relationship. This is not the time where you go, all right, well, I'm gonna do it all by myself. You want to keep things familiar for this team so that they don't panic because major reactions by a coach in process that creates the knee jerk feeling like, well, here we go. I guess everything's on the table now. You do that kind of stuff in the offseason.
Speaker 6: It's always play calling in the NFL. So I'd like to say, because people love to criticize that, I have not talked to Doug privately about the difference between between him and Press. I think after fifteen games, if he thought there was a huge difference, a huge difference in quality of play calling, he would have quote taken it back. I think he looks at it and says, the offensive line isn't run blocking very well. When you don't run block, when you don't have the option to run, it limits you as a play caller, no matter who you are. And when you look at that fundamental. He didn't say that on Monday or on Tuesday, but if you look at that fundamental, if you look at the lack of tackling, and if you look at the turnovers, I think if those three things were you know, if there're two's, now, if they were sixes, I think you'd be winning games.
Speaker 5: I think that's what he's going.
Speaker 1: To focus on.
Speaker 5: Well, look, we got the perfect example of why it's not play calling, and that was the twelve yard laws on Calvin Ridley reverse. Were Tim Jones, who's in the game, blocks or misses a block entirely on Yah Yah Dabby the pass rusher who drops Calvin for the big loss? Was that Press Taylor that missed that block? No, it wasn't. It seems you want to yell at the television and say that's a horrible play call. Well not if it worked. It worked, and they obviously thought it was going to based on what they saw.
Speaker 6: The no issues plays that don't work stink bright.
Speaker 5: Yeah, w it's one. They showed it over and over and over and you see Tim Jones just with on the block. That's execution. That's what Doug is talking about when everybody wants to say, why would you call that play? And well, look watch it and see what really happened. There was a press Taylor's fall. It was Tim Jones who missed the block. Those sorts of things drive you crazy, and you can't just react to all the outside noise. They've got to stick with what they know and what they do and try to do it better.
Speaker 2: I will say it might be on the fan side with this one because I don't want to see the end around reverses anymore either, because I don't think the percentage of them, I haven't seen many of them work. I see them run it a lot, but I haven't seen a lot of it work. So we'll have to see if they use that again. Coming up this week against the Panthers, we're gonna go over the injury report cause we've got a few more names on there and one name that might be coming back right here in jags Am. Welcome back to Jagzam for the by Field's Auto Group, Jacksonville. You can step up to luxury at Fields Auto dot Com. We're all t We're also brought to you by dream Finders' Homes, so they've been proud to call themselves the official home builder of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Visit dreamfinders' homes dot com for all of the available inventory and go Jags. Welcome back to Jags am here on this Wednesday, so we get ready for the final game in December. We're trying to make this not a winless December, not a winless month. They're own four right now. They have one more game that's gonna be against the Carolina Panthers this week, and it's looked on the schedule like it was gonna be a pretty easy matchup. But I don't think any of us thought we were gonna be at this point where now you don't feel one hundred confident going into this game.
Speaker 5: Well, and the injury list is certainly a big part of that, but also the fact that the Panthers are playing well. You know, they beat the Falcons two weeks ago, and last week was arguably Bryce Young's best game as a pro in that loss, thirty three thirty was the final to the Green Bay Packers. So you've got a team coming down here who's playing with a rookie quarterback and an interim head coach against a team that has to win to get into the playoffs. Where have we heard that scenario before?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're I mean, at this point, the Panthers are just having fun. You know, they know there's a change coming at the end of the season. They're loose. They've done a nice job started recovering from the malays of the first three months, but it's a broken record at this point. The storyline is more about what the Jaguars are gonna do. Are they going to show up? Frankly, Sunday was as listless of performance as I've seen out of this team, and I don't know how long with everything on the line, that really surprised me. So can they show up? And Doug Peterson after the game sense of urgency That is far more concerned to me than anything the Panthers do.
Speaker 5: No knocking the Panthers.
Speaker 6: I just think it's about how the Jaguars play and frankly, do they show.
Speaker 2: Up right, because if they come out with the effort we saw on Tampa, that's not gonna be good. Also, we've got to mention we've talked about Trevor's added on his fourth injury so far this season, but there's a lot of injured players and Daniel Thomas has been added to that. He went to IR because of a forearm injury. Broke his left arm, so he'll be out for the foreseeable future. Cam Robinson is going to be activated. He was activated Tuesday, so his windows available and Doug Peterson talked and said, if everything looks good, they're hopefully gonna get Cammed back this Sunday against Carolina. And something I was looking at too, is a little bit John. We were discussing Tyson Campbell and Andre Cisco. They both missed time with those soft tissue injuries, and we didn't see them much in the second half.
Speaker 1: So how hurt are they? And you know, if they are needed to play a full game.
Speaker 6: Where they can be able to do that, you would think not playing a second half on Sunday. Soft tissue is something that can be aggravated through fatigue. So, hey, we're down twenty nothing, We're not playing very well. Nobody else showed up anyway, So why have these guys get hurt? That feels to me like that At the same time, they've both dealt with this for a Tyson, it feels like all season Cisco the last few weeks. Could they make it through a whole game if they're putting strain on those soft tissue spots. I don't know that I would assume they would have played further had the score been closer on Sunday.
Speaker 5: I don't know that we'll know that getting Cam Robinson back would be a huge left right. I mean, what he brings in terms of his personality, you can't deny when he got into the line up there, they started playing better football. So you'd like to have him back, especially because Walker Little is still struggling with the hamstring injury. You know, maybe a week of rehabilitation and time on the practice field, you at least I would expect that Cisco and Tyson are gonna make it.
Speaker 1: Go for it.
Speaker 5: I mean, the way the scenarios roll out, if the Jaguars don't win on Sunday and both the Texans who are playing in Nashville and the Colts, who are hosting the Raiders win, you're out right. I mean, the scenario has become very there. There's sixteen things that have to happen for the Jaguars, including them winning in Nashville at the end of the season, for them to even make it as a wildcard team. So this is as much of a must win as they have faced all season long. So I would imagine as many guys on that list as can strap on whatever brace or tape and try and go. We'll go and try and do it.
Speaker 2: All right, Stay well, let's coming back. We'll do a little this or that for this week's matchup against the Panthers. Shag XAM brought to you by Price dot Com, the easiest way to save money with comparison shopping cash bag coupons all in one. It is free, can try at price dot com today. We also want to honor our Florida Lottery High School Scholar Athlete of the Month, Jackson Copeland. Jackson's proven academic excellence, dedication to community, and all of that leadership on and off the field. The Bright Future Scholarship Program is primarily funded by the Florida Lottery. You can that assist students in pursuing post secondary education.
Speaker 1: And career goals.
Speaker 4: Four game skid crisis. I mean, you know, our goals are still in front of us. Nothing's changed there. But somewhere somewhere we've got to you know, uh, we got to stop this, you know, damn from from bust.
Speaker 5: And wide open this.
Speaker 1: Door.
Speaker 2: That crisis mode, according to Doug whatever you wanna call it. But is it panic mode? Is it crisis mode? Or do you just need to beat the panthers? Is that as simple as this is? Or will that fix things? Or is it time to panic right now?
Speaker 5: Brand Well, it's never time to panic. I mean, that doesn't do anybody any good. But I do like the word desperation, and I use that word because that was what the folks in San Francisco were describing when the Niners came east and just beat the Jaguars handling. They had lost three in a row. It looked like they were sliding out of the playoff picture in the NFC and they needed something to turn their season around. So they came in here, played with an edge, played with sense of urgency, desperation, whatever it is. There needs to be a heightened awareness of what's at stake, and that is lose and you're likely not going to make the playoffs. And for a team it was eight and three and had a chance to compete for home field advantage throughout the playoffs, to just skid out of it entirely, well, that calls for desperation, right not panic, but it calls for having you back against the wall and to come out swing. That's just the way I see it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe the Panthers doesn't fix everything, but winning certainly enables you to come out of the season with a better feeling. This team hasn't won back to back division titles in twenty four years, so you get a chance to make history. And once the season's over, if you get these last two you finished ten and seven, you if you're well on the playoffs, then all of a sudden, you're a tough team that overcame this late season obstacle.
Speaker 1: You can still change your narrative.
Speaker 5: I guess. I guess I'd like to see.
Speaker 6: I don't care much about desperation or anything like that.
Speaker 1: I'd like to see some maturity.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, I thought this team for twelve weeks was a scrappy team that played well, played maturely, made big plays at the end of games to win. I thought that defined them, and they haven't been. You know, I don't think the first three games this losing streak were just sayly a tragedy. You lost to Cincinnati, Cleveland. They're good. The Ravens are really good. All of those you could sort of get. Sunday, they didn't look like a mature team, and I thought they were. I would like them to prove me wrong or right or whatever, but show me that they're mature again on Sunday. They didn't look it on Sunday.
Speaker 1: That was tough.
Speaker 2: Whenever it's an effort thing, right, you want to see you want to assume they're past that. At this point, I think maybe the only other time I really remember is, you know, when they're in that Texans game where everything went wrong in the first quarter and a half and then it was like they kind of just wrote it off.
Speaker 1: And that's kind of what Tempa looked like.
Speaker 2: It looks like they got hit in the mouth right in the beginning and they just didn't really find a way to wild themselves back into it. And that's part of being mature. That's part of the National Football League. As we talk every single week, you have to want to win every week of the way. It's not going to happen for you, all right, our other this or that this week is we touched a little bit on touched a little bit on this earlier, but for Lawrence is hurt with his fourth injury, and as we've discussed on those weeks, he doesn't practice and he plays not the best of outcomes. So is this another instance where you need to win this game? Do you roll out of injury Trebor Lawrence, or do you try to roll with DJ bethor and get him healthy for hopefully or game after that, or what do you do?
Speaker 1: You just have to play whoever?
Speaker 6: I wish I knew, I mean, and I always struggle with injury related questions because I don't know how hurt the player is. If his arm is affected to where he's not thrown effectively, then I don't see how you can play him guts and moxie, which he has shown hasn't been enough the last two times he's played. I don't think he played awfully against Cleveland. There was some turnovers there. That's a really good pass defense. I didn't necessarily think that was an awful game, as much as it was some circumstances. The other day was bad, but I didn't I don't really know how many the interceptions were his fault, Brian, So.
Speaker 1: I guess I lean back to what I said earlier.
Speaker 6: If he can't practice effectively, if it doesn't look like they're developing chemistry on the field which we won't see.
Speaker 1: Then I don't see how you can play them, except.
Speaker 5: That he's probably still your best chance to win, all right, So I just talked about Cisco and Tyson and you know whoever could strap on a brace and tape it up and play. Because this game is essentially your season. You don't win, your playoff chances go to minimal. So I'd play him, right unless I put myself in a situation where I need my quarterback to have surgery on a shoulder like Anthony Richardson did. Right, No, it's not worth that. You know, this is a season of adversity and things get away from you, and don't. I don't mortgage my future for my present. I just I don't. And so if if the doctors tell me he's clear to play, and he likely will be okay coming out of the game, all right. But if I'm worried about that shoulder and surgery in January and not having him in the off season to get ready, then I'm thinking really really hard about putting c. J. Bethort in because he's going to be the guy on the practice field all week getting the reps and the coach just said that that's important, right, timing and accuracy and all those things.
Speaker 1: What I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's there's so much at stake you have to do it. But you know, I was the guy last week who asked, Doug, are you sure you don't want to give this, you know, to just name C. J. Bethord your starter. I just didn't see where a guy who missed all week of practice with a concussion made sense to play. That's a low hanging fruit. Now it's easy to look back, although I did ask the question last week. Now I guess as long as I'm told that that he's not going to significantly injure it. All right, let's go. Let's see what you can do.
Speaker 2: We'll hear from Trevor Lawrence a little bit later today and we'll also see if he practice today, So that'll give us a little more insight as we look forward to the rest of the week.
Speaker 1: Stay with us here on Jagsam Jags fans.
Speaker 2: If you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, check out zip chair dot com to browse all customizable options. Zip Chair is furniture for fans. Also, this week's game against the Panthers is brought to you by Johnson and Johnson, the makers of acub brand contact lenses making vision possible. Probably based in Jacksonville. You can visit jjvision dot com.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's him not over and that's the thing. Own it, feel it. I'm hurting.
Speaker 1: I'm hurting.
Speaker 7: You had tomorrow's Christmas and I love my family, we'll have a good time, but you know this hurts. I'm gonna be watching film on what I need to do better, and if there's a game or it was something that they did different, then I'm gonna be attack like that something me. I got to own that. Get better.
Speaker 1: Move on.
Speaker 2: Josh Allenson, he's watching film on Christmas, said it wasn't his best performance. And when he says other people need to be accountable, he had to hold himself accountable.
Speaker 1: That's certainly what you want to hear.
Speaker 2: And Josh is one of the people that isn't shy from being honest about those sorts of things. So that's good leadership on the defensive side of the ball. But it's got to come for more people than just your captains, right, It's got to be everybody you know.
Speaker 5: At eight and three it looked like this was going to be a team to contend with. And you could talk about injuries and we certainly have and that that's cost them. But at this point, John, based on the performance last Sunday, it's about a couple of guys who aren't injured stepping up and leading the way by making plays. Josh is certainly one of those guys. There are others, you know, Calvin Ridley is a guy. Evan Ingram, right, there is a guy. You got to make all those plays if you're going to be the Panthers on Sunday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Doug, after the game, I talked a little bit about pride of not committing these turnovers, of doing it, attention to attention to detail, all these things. I think it's a look in the mirror week, you know, I I s feel a way about this team. They should beat the Panthers. You're playing at home, everything's on the line. You have something to play for. The adage in the NFL usually is if a team's got something to play for, another team doesn't. The team has something to play for wins. But if you're playing like you did last Sunday, you're not gonna win, right, So you know. I know we have a show to do tomorrow, and I'll sit here and try to analyze it. I don't have that much more to say about this team until I see him go out and play with more urgency than they did in Tampa.
Speaker 5: Look at the mirror is a great way to describe it. Another ways, poking the chest, you know, I mean to be able to say to the guy next to you, Hey, you got to play better this week. Do you understand what's on the line this week? And I'm sure Doug will lay out the playoffs and narrows for them and the important this game. I referenced earlier, we've seen a team with an interim coach and a rookie quarterback. We watched the Jaguars with Darryl Bevell and Trevor Lawrence again beat the Colts. I was remember him going. I guess apparently the story afterwards was he was poking guys in the chest in the locker room saying we're gonna play well, We're not gonna just lay down. And they did. They beat a Colts team that just had to win to get into the playoffs, and then that Colts team didn't recover the next year. Things just went out of control for them. You don't want that to be a scenario where you lose to a two win Panthers team and find yourself outside of the playoffs and then go on the road and have to play a Tennessee team that you know will be ready to go with Mike Rabel. You don't want that. That could be very bad. So what you want to do is have everybody in the locker room looking at themselves and then saying to the guy next to them, I'm doing this. What are you doing this week? This is not an opportunity for us to do anything and go play our best football and win.
Speaker 1: Opportunity, opportunity to prove who you are.
Speaker 2: And certainly they'll need their best effort after the last four losses in a row tomorrow and jagsam will go over uh that fully that matchup against the Panthers this weekend.
Speaker 1: We'll see you tomorrow morning.