Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and welcome. It's another edition to Dirt from the Dugout. Carl Ravitch and Justin muse well, great guest tonight. Can't wait to bring Eric hosmerin to discuss the way that he came up in this sport, his historic career that he had thirteen years playing with the Royals, World Series champion, MVP of an All Star game. We'll get to all that. Justin, how you been my friend.
Speaker 2: I'm great, buddy.
Speaker 3: Great to be with you tonight, man, and excited for this conversation. This will be a really good one.
Speaker 1: He don't forget to get your questions in, and please don't forget, man, this is all about the Parent Dugout. You can ask your questions this evening and the YouTube and on the X chat where of course on x on both of our platforms as well. And the important part that we want is to grow our membership and we've done a great job with that. We appreciate it. So thanks for watching and please join the Parent Dugout dot com. The content is on the left. It's part of what you get here each and every week. It's what Justin does with baseball recruiting. Confidential there's a big community. You can be a part of. Any questions you have, have info at the parent dugout dot com. And for those of you who are smart enough to be with us, let's say hello to our guests tonight. That is the great Eric Hasmer, the Wizard of Hawes is Jonna. Hey, Eric, thanks so much for being on with us. We appreciate it.
Speaker 4: What's up, Olas? I don't know if I'm smart enough to be on this with you guys. I'm starting to question myself after hearing that right.
Speaker 2: Light in that man. I appreciate you, guys.
Speaker 1: Let's get into Let's get into what we do here Hawes, and we want you to be able to share your journey in baseball, the good, if there was any bad, some of the ugly, because we have a whole bunch of people out there who are raising kids to play baseball and they have a million questions about the best way to do it, and it turns out there's not one way to do it. So let's go back to when you were a little boy. Why in the world did you choose baseball? How did you end up in that lane?
Speaker 4: Baseball? I mean, that's what you know. Me and my buddies in my neighborhood. That's the sport that we just gravitated to. You know, we'd always be outside doing something, playing basketball, shooting hoops and whatever season it was.
Speaker 2: Baseball was the one that we just enjoyed the most.
Speaker 4: We ended up playing all little league together, and once I was like twelve years old, I got on a team in South Florida.
Speaker 2: We created a team called the Diamond Kings.
Speaker 4: That was our travel league, and that's really when we started to really enjoy We went to Cooperstown, we started to travel for tournaments. We started to kind of get away from being in like a league for ten to twenty games, and we started going around at different tournaments every weekend. So it was a team aspect, but then that we started kind of getting a little more competitive with it, and that's when it really started to get fun. The Cooperstown Tournament in Dreams Park, Cooperstown, New York is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: You get to stay in the barracks, you know, in the dorms with the coaches.
Speaker 4: So once you get to go on like a road trip and travel for a tournament, you're just like, man, this is I love every part of this and you begining to play teams outside of your county, your state, national, and then you start to understand your age group, and that's when it starts to get really fun.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, no doubt about that. By the way, I'm sure Justin you probably have been there. I'll be honest as Justin can ask the next question. I took our boys to the Cooperstown Field Dreams and stayed in the barracks and as an adult halls, it's a little different than it was for the kids, so I can promise you that, but it was an elevant experience.
Speaker 4: I don't know, if I'm coaching a team, I'm gonna say, listen, I'll be I'll meet you guys at the field.
Speaker 2: Don't worry, someone handle it.
Speaker 1: There you go. That's right.
Speaker 4: But so then from from there it was it was really cool because all of our guys from South Florida, from that Diamond Kings team, we ended up going like four or five of us ended up.
Speaker 2: Going to the same high school.
Speaker 4: And we went to a high school American Heritage, where it's kindergarten through twelfth grade. There's a junior varsity, a junior high, junior varsity, and varsity team. So we had a catcher that was on the varsity team at eighth grade. Guys were getting called up, so it was fun, it was competitive, and what was really cool about it it was once the school season started, that's when we kind of it was separate. We had summer ball and then once the fall in the high school season started. The fall was about conditioning and like team chemistry and team.
Speaker 2: Building, bonding and then.
Speaker 4: You got ready for your season and then obviously winning a state championship was it was probably the biggest deal for all of us at that age, and summer ball was kind of like a second thing. And I know it's changed a lot, but that's kind of the routine of how it went for us.
Speaker 2: So I felt like from twelve years old to my.
Speaker 4: Senior year of high school there was a good core, solid group of players and guys that you know, I got to play with from that.
Speaker 2: Age on, which was really cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think when we look at the landscape now too. Man, I talk about this a lot on here on the show, but it you know, it's we've moved so much away from playing with others in our communities often and for many years, as you know, and so a lot of kids, even at nine ten years old, are going away from their communities and they're going to play travel ball.
Speaker 2: I have no issue with travel ball.
Speaker 3: I think travel ball has a great place in this and I know a lot of great people in it.
Speaker 2: But it's very.
Speaker 3: Unique to be within your community and play with the same players. I had that luxury as well, play with a lot of the same players and they become very close and best friends. And it's something I'm really big on from a human element of it. Can you just share what that meant to you growing up and having that around you, with some of your best friends around you for years and years and years that you play with.
Speaker 4: Well, you said it right there, justin the human element. Human element, like you need to learn how to be a teammate, you know, part of being a teammate, especially in baseball when the ultimate goal is to make it to the world of the major leagues, and that's one hundred and sixty two game season, that's twenty days, thirty days in spring training, that's another twenty days in the postseason if you plan on making it to the postseason. So first and foremost, you need to be a good teammate, make sure your teammates like you. So that to me, that was where our group from twelve to eighteen years old, the human element that's for that's when that development.
Speaker 2: Was happening for me.
Speaker 4: We were, you know, always preaching fundamentals our high school coach, our twelve year old coach. So when you get to the minor leagues and there's players from all over the country, you'd be amazed by how many professional baseball players that I've signed for millions of dollars don't know the basic core fundamentals of just baseball, of being where you need to be on the field, and then on the flip side of that, on the off the field type of stuff, like you need to know how to be a teammate. You need to understand, you know, when certain times are in need of not like someone you know, talking to someone uplifting someone when you know times are going back you need that uplifting.
Speaker 2: So I understand kind of where the youth.
Speaker 4: Game has gone and it's gotten really individualized, and the last thing you want is for these guys, these kids to be going from team to team each weekend, traveling and really not get and to know your teammates and not you know, being able to develop and have a relationship with your teammates, teammates off the field and just develop, you know, being a kid, being a person.
Speaker 6: I know this is a busy time of year for many of you, including AJ. When you're home, you need everything to get done fast with quality.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, That's why Factor Meals are perfect for me. Ready in two minutes, healthy, pre made protein, all the things I like, vegetables, They're all mixed into one and it's quick, easy cleanup, done, Boom, I'm full, Move on to the next.
Speaker 6: Task, no prep, no cleanup. Every week, you'll find over one hundred nutrient dense menu items to choose from and new options like salmon burgers, shredded pork, and much more. Plus add on Jill crave like pumpkin flavored cheesecake and protein shakes. Let's eat real. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash foul fifty off and use code foul five zero off to get fifty percent off and one free breakfast item per box for one year while supplies last until ten thirty one twenty six. That's code Foul fifty off at factormeals dot com. Foulfiftyoff Factor Meals dot Com see website for more details.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds a lot like you had the best of both worlds because you took this group that you were really tight with and you were able to kind of travel with them. But they were kids that you met when you were ten and left and twelve thirteen years old. A lot of times now that gets splintered off. And as I've said to Justin and others on this show, and we've had managers on this show, and the Padroyas of the world, and Dusty Baker's the stuff that you guys benefit from being in a clubhouse, in a locker room, in a car with five of your friends. It is such an important part of baseball that you if you're not playing team sports, you don't get what came first for you. Was it the love of the game, the love for your buddies, the love of winning. So obviously that happened when you grew up with winning state championships, which came first.
Speaker 2: So for me, the love for winning.
Speaker 4: And I was able to have that mindset and create that mindset because of that group from twelve to eighteen years old that I got to kind of really get that core of the mindset just established there.
Speaker 2: And then from that point on, I was so.
Speaker 4: Lucky and so fortunate to get drafted by the Royals because the Royals, I'm coming into a farm system. Mike Mussakis today I got drafted, reached out to me and said, hey, you're coming to Instructional League in two weeks.
Speaker 2: You're living with me.
Speaker 4: I already called the Royals and I got already just there was the comfort level when I got welcomed by the group of young minor league prospects for the Royal So I immediately felt that team unity right there, and it is so much easier for me. I know, I performed better when I'm with groups when with a team aspect of it. It doesn't matter if it's in the off season working out, if I got four or five guys there, I'm going to get a much better workout doing it in that team group environment than just kind putting headphones on doing it myself. So with the Royals, Dayton Moore, the general manager, did such a good job of always engraving in our minds that we were going to be the group of players that was going to change Kansas City. You know, the eighteen nineteen eighty five was the last time they won, So it never really felt like it was on my shoulders mus Doacas's shoulders. So when I think when we all performed with that mindset, of this group is going to be the one. So when I go through that for eight or oh for twelve and I'm experiencing failure, I'm not thinking that the whole organization is going to be, you know, falling off a cliff because of me. So that mindset, I think, really helped take a lot of pressure off me. And then the other aspect of that is the guys. You know, we go back so far that Moose knows my swing on a mechanical level since high school. So fast forward to a day and age now where there is information about every single pitch that you see in the big leagues. You can get overwhelmed. So at some point in time you need that voice to just come up to you and say.
Speaker 2: Hey, just what was what did I swing?
Speaker 4: Like when I was eighteen, it was like, tell me what my natural swing was, and he'll be like, hey, just get your hands in the loading position and take the ball to left field.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 4: Let's go like you need that simple mindset for a refreshment every now and then, So you need that group to have players and teammates to tell you what that refresh button looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's also good man, and Haw's I think when you look at it too, it's it's really interesting to bring up the Royals, and I think when you look at it from Afar and you see kind of what you guys built there, you literally are kind of describing a keeping.
Speaker 2: A group together, right, A young group.
Speaker 3: That came up, a lot of you that lifted an entire organization, right that that hadn't won in years.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: So like, it's it's cool to kind of see that from Afar and see what you guys did there.
Speaker 2: Have you had a chance?
Speaker 3: Now, obviously that's a while ago, and you know you moved on and played elsewhere, but like, have you had a chance to reflect on that time and how special that was with the group of guys where you know, all of you are shooting for the same goal and you're coming up and it's years of effort and work to get to that point and win it. Can you just take us through what that's like, man? Like, I mean, I suppose you could probably talk about this all day, but like, I love to hear more about that, man. You know, It's one of the things that I just really admire about that group is you guys had to change an organization and you did, and that is very difficult to do. I don't think people away from organizations realize how hard that is. Can you take us through how special that is to you and what that means to you now to be with a lot of the same guys through that journey.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was so special, man. We just you know, a couple of things.
Speaker 4: We just had our ten year reunion for our championship team for twenty fifteen last year, which was unbelievable, incredible to be able to spend that weekend with those guys. And then Salvador Perez I was just out here in Kansas City and the first game of the series they honored him for passing George Brett for the all time franchise leader and home run.
Speaker 2: So it's like, I Salvador Perez get demoted from.
Speaker 4: Low way back to rookie ball and now he's earning a statue outside of the stadium. So to see that all the way through is just incredible and you know, there's moments where when you have the ability and a game of failure to laugh at yourself and not feel insecure. I mean, baseball is a sport where when you're in the box, you're trying to eliminate all tension. You're trying to be smooth and relaxed and eliminate all tension whatsoever. I remember a time in Yankee Stadium where Salvador Perez, there was a guy that stole second to third and he threw the ball and it went to like left field, like this ball almost went to the warning track, and the guy ended up coming in scoring. So the mound visit and need comes and pulls the pitchers a couple of innings later or a couple pitches later. So we all just kind of are at the mound right there, and we're all just kind of like staring at Salvey, not saying anything, and he just kind of peeks up and just kind of starts laughing, and we're like, what was that.
Speaker 2: So the ability for him to just kind of.
Speaker 4: Laugh that off versus wearing that individually, going into you know, the mirror at night in your hotel room just being like, man, I need to be better this is bad.
Speaker 2: There's so much more refreshing for the mindset. So I just kind of.
Speaker 4: Years past now when you watch all the videos, you kind of understand the magnitude of what we did, but in the moment, so cool because I think we all just grew so confident together and we had this trust with amongst each other that we didn't really understand what we were accomplishing at the time.
Speaker 2: And I think that's itself as well. Oh cool man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think when you're in the middle of it, you don't really appreciate the impact that it has on other people, let alone yourself. Winning a World Series changes your life. Has We got a whole bunch of questions here lined up. You when you talk, you open up a lot of other doors we got to go down. I think for the purpose of our audience, it'd be great to hear how Salvador handled the demotion, because that happens to kids all the time. But before we do, let's get to this question from Dom because I think it's a good one that does appeal to our audience as well. You're a first round pick out of high school. How difficult was the decision to pass on college? What conversations with your family ultimately help you make that choice. Some of the people that are listening here are going to have kids that are going to be faced with that same decision. How did you and your family handle it?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 4: So it's a very very hard decision. And you know, we took college, believe it or not, very seriously. Like I was really pursuing going to college because you know, those years in your life eighteen nineteen, twenty years old, there's such key years of development, you know, not only as a player, but as a person too. So you know you have to think there's when you go into minor league baseball. This is again I know times have changed. I got drafted in two thousand and eight, but when you become a professional baseball player, there is a tremendous amount of accountability that becomes on the player, and at eighteen years old, I don't really know if I was ready for that. Like again, thank God for this group of players that you know, the mustakas Is and this core group of Royals minor league players, because I just kind of got inherited into that group and just followed along with those guys. But I think the structure that college offered at eighteen years old, nineteen years old.
Speaker 2: You know, you're gonna get in there.
Speaker 4: You're gonna have a trainer, You're gonna have a tutor, you're gonna have nutritionists.
Speaker 2: You know a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 4: At the minor leagues, you're on your own for So that was really really appealing to me. And you know, that development, not only as a player, as a person was something I really really valued. And then you know, it got to the point where you know, it's just you got I got drafted at third overall, and you know, the financially, the money that the Royals were then offering me, It became okay, now can I go and kind of this development, the stuff that I'm saying college is offering, can I Now I can afford to do this on my own in the off season, and I can afford, you know, to get a trainer, to get stuff in the off season done. So all that stuff became, you know, part of the mindset, and ultimately it just became down to Date and more. I think dateon More at the end of the day, was somebody that I believed in. He was the general manager for the Royals, and then the more and more I got to meet him and his staff. I think not only me but my parents believed in them as well as someone who's going to develop me on and off the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and college is Justin knows better than anybody. College today is very different even than when you were considering it, and that was like yesterday, but it's very different now in the development the kids get there, and Justin knows it better than anybody. Is as good, if not better than some of the choices that you had, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: I signed with Pat Murphy at Arizona.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to touch on that really quick because when Murph took over, Craig accounts as a good friend of mine, And when Murph took over, there was a lot of talk in the in the Brewers organization where the organization was going to go. Craig was obviously so successful in what he was doing. One of the things I loved about Murph though, is he he kind of kept his personality one hundred percent authentic and right, and he coaches a little bit like a college coach. There's an intensity to it. It's almost like a game by game intensity to it. What were you you know, going back to your commitment. Just real quick, while we're talking about that, what was it that drew you to him?
Speaker 2: In asu?
Speaker 4: His competitiveness. I think he and I just connected right away.
Speaker 2: You Know.
Speaker 4: What I find so impressive now years later about Murph is he was successful as a college coach, as a minor league coach, and now as a big lead coach. And to me, that is incredible because the mindset of a player at each of those stages is completely different. So the fact that he's able to build relationships with you know, each and every personality on the team and itself is a skill and I think something I was drawn to. And on top of that, Murph, you know, he he came and I got to meet him and talk to him, and he just felt authentic, He felt real, like he felt like the stuff he was telling me was genuine. And again, I just for the stuff that he was preaching was winning. It was always team stuff. So I think I was onto that as well. And you know, Murph is Murph is someone that I think in a day and age now, in this game, it's you know, you still have to have that competitive fire, you have to relate to the players. And what I found different when I was a veteran player, was the rookies that were coming up in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 2: Were a lot different.
Speaker 4: The personality, the way to connect with these players, it was a lot different than when I was, you know, in the rookie stage or even three four years. So what I take for Murphy again years later is it's just so impressive how through these generations and these different you know, generations of players and the different type of mindset these players have had, He's still able to connect with each generation as these groups come up, which is amazing to me.
Speaker 6: Science experiment for the one minute we had to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a centrus salt, just opened it and pour some powder into my water, shake it up, and AJ, why do you love?
Speaker 7: I love Quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free Stevy a free Keto approved and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 6: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while be talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's q u i Ncee dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quinn dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a quick follow up. So, how is it different? How are the younger players different from when you came up?
Speaker 4: So I believe, you know, with in a day and age now with all these numbers, I just truly believe that it's a language. I think analyst is a language that these younger players now speak, and that's how they're learning the game, which is not their fault. It's not anyone's fault. That's how a day and age where we're in. So I used to tell my older coaches, the old school guys all the time, I go listen to you don't have to live and die by it, But why don't you just learn the language Because Jake Croniworth, for me, was one of the most influential players in my career because when he came to San Diego, he would always come in the dugout and grab the iPad and we would talk about in at bats and in the major leagues. I feel like when you're looking, when you're scouting pitchers, you can break down the pitcher and you have to separate a right handed hitter and a left handed hitter. There's two different ways that they attack those guys. So Jacob and I were lefties. I would always talk to them, and you know, a guy would have a cutter and I would get back to the bat.
Speaker 2: We talk about it, and.
Speaker 4: Jacob will be like, oh man, this horizontal movements get me man like, I can't do this. I got to get inside of it whatever. And I'm like, Jacob, what the heck is horizontal movement?
Speaker 2: Man? Like what are you talking about? It's just like, after you learn what the language is, it's just cut.
Speaker 4: So it's like, okay, Like the vertical movement is, Hey, this has got some sneak to it.
Speaker 2: Get on top of it. So what you learn is it's a different language.
Speaker 4: So if you can speak that language, you're going to be able to connect with the player and you're going to be able to find that relatability. He's going to have relatability with the coach. So that's something that you know, I really really took and I appreciate it from Corona Worth because it's helped me a lot be able to kind of speak this new language of baseball, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Right, but intuitively, you knew the language, you just didn't speak it. Now you can speak it.
Speaker 4: You knew it exactly exactly one hundred percent, and and you'll be I mean, I'm sure even all the way down to the high school level. Now, the player that's what they that's what they say. They talk about vertical movement, they talk about horizontal that's sweeper over slider. You know, that's kind of that's how they learned the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think HOSN we kind of look at some of like the technology or technological aspects that within baseball. Now, you know, there's it seems to be kind of a fight amongst two separate groups of like what is best for baseball and all of that. I'm one that lives on the I think there's room for both and working together with both. But you know, we've we've had some conversations on this on the show with some other guys. You've been there, You've lived it. What are some of the things that that it, you know, from a success standpoint, that made you so successful in what you were doing? Because from the outside, you're a fun loving dude. You're a great dude, right Like, people can watch you and it can almost come off like it's easy. And obviously you were really talented. But what were some of the things like in the background that you were doing that a lot of people didn't see that led to your success.
Speaker 4: So I when when I became an older player in the big leagues, I've I've really mentally became all in on.
Speaker 2: Just trusting the process.
Speaker 4: And if I trust my process and I complete this process throughout the day, which is my routine. If I work and prepare and do that routine and I stick to that and hold myself accountable, I'm not gonna be results driven. I'm gonna be process driven. If the results don't happen, I'm not going to live and die and ride this roller coaster. A big thing that started helping me was every time I left to go on deck, I started telling the hitting coach, Hey, this is gonna be my approach, whether or not it was I'm going to swing, you know, early on, look for the fastball away, or I'm gonna sit breaking ball here. And when I was able to voice that with him, I was able to hold myself accountable to my approach, and then I wasn't second guessing myself. So if I went up that at bat and tell myself, hey, I need to sit slider or even just see this ball deeper and go left center, and I do all that and just miss the ball left center or line out that way, I'm good with that. I'm not going to just you know, ride the roller coaster of it's zero for one. I completed my process and I stuck with it, because if I stick with that over the course of six hundred.
Speaker 2: At bats, I trust that I'm going to be successful.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna panic in April stuff doesn't get out, or I'm not going to ride this high horse in April if it gets out to a good start. So that's something mentally, just let my mind be at ease again, baseball, you're trying to just be relaxed and you're trying to create your trying to make tension disappears. So how do you make tension disappear not only physically but mentally.
Speaker 2: So that was something that helped me as well.
Speaker 4: And you know, justin you said something about the analytics, and for me, I agree with you because it is a blend one hundred percent and the language. It's like, if they're presenting you information, why would you not number one as a coach or an instructor, why would you not learn this information or this language of whatever this information is. Because at the end of the day you can take some value from it. I truly believe that a coach's job now is to learn that information and then your job is to then translate that to the player. So how do I translate that to the player? So for me, if I struggle to get the ball pull side in the air, instead of a coach just coming up, hey, you need to get the launch angle. Your launch angle is a six, it needs to be in nineteen or twenty. Instead of just presenting that information to me, the coach then should now create a drill that can translate what I need to do at the plate. So whether or not it's get a slider machine, hammer it back foot and tell me, hey, get this ball to the right field foulpul. That's to me is a coach translating that information to the player because you are now accomplishing what I need to do, get the ball in the air. But you're doing it in a way of just putting a break and ball drill out there instead of telling me, hey do this, like here's what the information is saying. So you got me thinking when you brought up the blend and the analytics, and I think that's kind of the battle right there.
Speaker 2: Great point on it's.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. Yeah, that's a great explanation. And look, the frustration having been in the sport for thirty three years, the frustration in the beginning Oz and you know this was those that were trying to bring analytics into it. Couldn't speak the language, as you just said, couldn't speak a language that the player could relate to. Organizations now literally have middle man as you know, doing that like take this incredible information, sift it so that that guy can understand it. Is where analytics and the old school. I don't want to know all that now blend beautifully a lot of good questions here. This is one that's going to help a lot of people. Ryan asked it. It says you experienced every kind of pressure in the sport, top prospect, huge contract with the team out on the West Coast. How did you keep the outside expectations from the big contract, from the early success, from affecting the player that you wanted to be In a sense, how do you block out all the noise and whether you're twelve years old, twenty two years old, or forty two years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So my first year, I was fortunate. I was thirteen.
Speaker 4: The World Baseball Classic that was going on, and they were training in Arizona and Mark Teschera went down with the wrist injury. So they called me in surprise Arizona to come fill in for him. So I was on that team, and I'll never forget. We were playing the Dominican Republic and I was in the dugout with Jimmy Rawlins and I'm like, Jimmy Man, like, how are you always just so cool, calm and collective? Like you like this is the same demeanor you had at the workout we just had and there was nobody there, and now there's thousands, fifty thousand people here.
Speaker 2: This is the biggest game going on right now.
Speaker 4: And he was just like, man, I've experienced every outcome. You hit the home run, you have that feeling, you strike out, you have that same feeling, Like you got to understand, how can I get my mindset just the calms it can possibly be? So how do I get rid of that tension? And the way he was doing that was, you know, by experiencing the failure and understanding what happened during that failure. I was tense, I was thinking too much, and then you experienced the success.
Speaker 2: I was clear minded.
Speaker 4: I went up there relaxed, and at the end of the day, he just understood that that put him in that best possible situation to succeed.
Speaker 2: And certain players are different. He just learned himself.
Speaker 4: Certain guys, you know, they have to play angry, certain guys have to play relax. Certain guys perform with a better minut baseball. You know, again, it's it's a sport where you can't you don't want to be strong, you want to be quick. So you have to understand over the course of you know, the long season. How in these pressure situations, how can I just get myself back to that mindset because that's when I know I give myself the best ability to perform.
Speaker 2: And I thought that was really cool to hear from Jimmy.
Speaker 1: Really cool. And by the way, surprise Arizona lived up to its name to share a hurt surprise. You're on the WBC team, would have known that surprised surprise surprise, oh man.
Speaker 4: But yeah, and then to the second part of that question, Rabbi, you know, there's there's different there's different pressures, and you know, I learned a lot in San Diego because I didn't perform, you know, the way I wanted to each year out there. And you know that's again, looking back on all of it, I think it was a different situation for me, and reflecting on it, it was something that similar to what I brought up earlier to you guys, like I understood that when I signed over there, the situation it was different. I was going over there as a veteran player. I was going over as a leader. So a lot of these guys I had never played with, so I was trying to, you know, bring them up to the big leagues, get them comfortable. So there was certain times where, you know, when I went over there, I really felt that I did a little too much off the field and like focusing on you know, that aspect of it and not getting my work.
Speaker 2: In at times. And then you know, I think.
Speaker 4: There's a balance there that you really really have to maintain. And when we signed Manny Machado that next year, I really really saw that balance that he was able to maintain. You know, he was really good at getting guys and connecting off the field, believe it or not, because at the end of the day, like instead of you know, me missing age work to talk to a guy and try and get him going and change.
Speaker 2: His mindset, at the end of the day, it was like no, no, no. From this time to this.
Speaker 4: Time, I am making sure I'm getting my work in and from that other time, I'm more than ready to talk to you and do that. So, you know, individually, you still have to get yourself ready to go, and you still have to you know, take that mindset and have that competitiveness. But you know, the team stuff, there's a time and place for all of that. So I learned a lot from that in San Diego as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great, yeah, has when you look at the team aspect of it. You you brought this up yourself here, and you know, you go from an organization that you basically, you know, became an adult in, right, I mean, went through some really critical years and then you change it over. It's obviously a huge change. So I want to I want to get to this question here. I think it's a super interesting question. I'm shifting down here a little bit on it. But Mark ass like, leaving a place where you want a World Series is easy when you decide to sign with the pod raise what ultimately convinced you that that San Diego was the right chapter.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to go to.
Speaker 1: Dicky V would say, one hundred and forty four million, that's what.
Speaker 2: Convention Dicky V. Dicky Bee people.
Speaker 4: I'm sure a lot of hardcore baseball fans know this, but he would always sit right there in Tampa Bay by the on deck, in the visiting by the visiting dugout.
Speaker 2: So I got to meet Dicky V. Man, He's what a blessing that guy, that man, Yeah, he really is the best.
Speaker 4: So San Diego ultimately it was, you know, I really it became two choices.
Speaker 2: It was, you know, San Diego and Kansas City.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, financially it was it was definitely a big, big difference. And you know, I've I've gotten to tell people in Kansas story kind of that side of the story and all that. So that's really nothing new to anybody. But you know, at the end of the day too, I was able to go there and I was able to see their farm system, and you know, they had Tatis, they.
Speaker 2: Had Marijane, you know, Chris Pattick.
Speaker 4: They had a lot of guys that were really really good young players that I truly believed in.
Speaker 2: So I really.
Speaker 4: Enjoyed and embraced the role of being the veteran guy for those guys, and I was really gonna enjoy taking that on.
Speaker 2: I did enjoy taking that on.
Speaker 4: But I think what I understood and what I learned again performance like I'll always just I'll always hold myself accountable the performance. I'm not making any excuses, and it wasn't where it should have been. But at the end of the day, when I reflect on it, that's what I learned is you know, when I was going back and taking those o for eights and just wearing them by myself, and you know, didn't have that ability at that Mountain visit to joke with Salvia and those guys. And it's not any of my teammate's faults in San Diego, because these guys are nineteen or twenty twenty two years old trying to get their footing in the big leagues. It's just they weren't, you know, at that stage in their career yet. So for me, I just felt like those performances, I was kind of wearing it individually. And then that mindset again, it just didn't create that mindset for me to perform the best maybe, and that's kind of what I reflected and learned from was like, okay, when you know that twelve to eighteen, the minor leagues, the big leagues, like these were all these groups that I was a part of.
Speaker 2: So then after the first couple of years, you know, I really really just.
Speaker 4: Tried with even with the younger guys, with Tatisi Machado, and we got to a point where, you know, we had that same bond like we had in Kansas City.
Speaker 2: To where we were, you know, than joking we were loosing the clubhouse.
Speaker 4: So those first couple of years in that transition, it was really tough to wear all those performances individually versus with the team.
Speaker 6: This is that time of year, aj it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea geeks time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea geek.
Speaker 7: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees clubs coming up. Where's Yankees red sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up.
Speaker 2: Go to seke you can.
Speaker 7: Find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 6: Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Seakeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: Hi'll spring hawsback in here. Let's get to this question from Royce. It's a good one. You were obviously uber talented, you made the money, you won World Series. But when you look across the diamond or reeve it at your own teammates, who were a few players you competed against that made you say, this guy's a little different and what separated them from everybody else?
Speaker 4: Oh man, So I mean dating to the minor league days Mustakis watching him take VP it was like, yeah, you should see just when you shake Moose's hand, man, you feel his wrists and you're like it now, I'm mixing pots those up.
Speaker 2: I get it it.
Speaker 4: Is and then you know, you start to see some fastballs. I remember when I was a prospect. Neftali Felice was the number one prospect with Texas and we shared a complex there in Texas there with Surprise with the Rangers, and we would play them every instructional league spring training and seeing his fastball was the first time I saw like a real, real fastball that took off. And then fast forward to San Diego, Fernando Tatis was the most incredible athlete talent I've ever played with. Seeing what he did on a baseball field was incredible. Now doing some broadcasting, being able to see Bobby Wood Junior for an extending amount of time him and Fernando reminded me a lot about each other, just talent wise and their ability. It was really cool to see Fernando and Manny Machado play next to each other in the big leagues because when you talk about athleticism and talent, Fernando tatis by a mile, But when you talk about baseball stinks, player consistency like Manny Machado, surehanded as they come. You can like the routine play, you can do it in his sleep. It was really cool to see that dynamic and that difference and the player and the talent between those two.
Speaker 1: Great players. Yeah, great players, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love the questions that obviously. Yeah, it's a huge You got to make that routine play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you and you see it and and the thing and the thing is too haws is like the different personalities, right, I mean, I think that's what I think when you look at the Padres teams that you played on there there were different personalities you bring them bringing the Machado types and some of that, and there's, uh, I'm guessing from your end, there's a there's a time that you you're all adjusting to each other too, of like bringing all of those personalities together. And I think it it just makes me think of the youth player now, right, and maybe different people coming in your play, different players of different socioeconomic backgrounds and whatever it might be, might be very different from you. It's one of my favorite things about baseball, man, because once you get on the field, you're all just like competing together and you're just trying to win. Can you just share that experience though with the I mean maybe I'm wrong on this, but the Padres seem to have some bigger personalities, some flashier sort of personalities. Was that different or was that just from Afar seeing the clubhouse?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was different.
Speaker 4: I mean there's the guys off the field were you know, we're into their stuff and they're in their own thing. And it was so cool man, because we had you know, Hasan Kim from Korea, we had players from the Dominican, we had players from Cuba, we had American players, i mean all different ages too. So that was really cool. But the amazing thing about that was, you know, each and every one of those guys and including the teammates I had in Kansas City. What was so cool about it is, you know, when you're playing baseball, you're going over these scouting reports and you know, you're trying to figure out pictures and you're trying to figure out any edge that you can get on a.
Speaker 2: Pitcher, on a team, whatever it is.
Speaker 4: So once we kind of you know, when we establish our core group in San Diego with Tatis and Machado and those guys, and then we brought in Hassan Kim, we brought in different players, we kind of establish our own language so to speak, on like game planning and how we do things. So you know, if we have, for instance, if we have a game plan where, hey, we have a picture where this guy we want to see him up and we think we hit him, well, maybe we're not going to steal bases today. We all understand that. Or you know, we have a certain tendency or tell that we have on a picture, or we're.
Speaker 2: Explaining how a break involve breaks whatever that.
Speaker 4: Is, and then you always happen that bat or two and then Hassan Kim would come up and we would just start talking about the pitch, and once you start talking about baseball, like it becomes just the same mindset and the same language, so to speak. So that was really cool to be able to connect with guys in that way. And then as you learned with us on Kim, like the vulnerability, the vulnerability in himself being able to laugh at himself after making a bad swing or a bad play, we then connect with him so much more. And then you find ourselves laughing with them on the bus on the next city heading to the next city, and you just learn that's kind of what establishes and starts the relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great, that's a great that's a great answer. Hey, we got I know, we grew up in Miami, so you're a fan of the Canes and the Marlins as well. We've got a couple of questions from from a Cane's Cats, and one of them maybe you will be able to relate to. I don't know, but it says you played in an elite squad with some great players, have some great coaching. What did you learn from playing with them? And do you also have a funny Richie Palmer story. Now that's we're getting into the weeds because we don't know who Richie Palmer is, dud, Do you know who Richie Richie Palmer is.
Speaker 2: I do not know who Richie Palmer is, Okay past my time.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure. But we played, Oh, no, elite squad. I'm sorry, So elite squad is that? I think Tristan Cossas I believe played on elite squad down in Miami. So I think what they're talking about. And I'm assuming Richie Palmer plays on that or coaches on that team.
Speaker 2: I actually played for.
Speaker 4: So my summer situation was when I was sixteen years old, I played on a team called the Florida.
Speaker 2: Bombers and the Florida Bombers.
Speaker 4: It was basically all the top players from South Florida and those guys, A lot of those guys had the opportunity pretty much to go to University of Miami. Like that's where University of Miami scouted most of their players. So Yonder Alonso played on the team before and then he was a senior graduated, so they invited me.
Speaker 2: We went to Farmington, New Mexico.
Speaker 4: We ended up losing in the championship game in Farmington, New Mexico, or not championship like the semi finals, and long story short, the coaches kind of had a little fallout. They separated, so they began two different teams. Was then it was like the Bomber the team, and then it was like the Prospects or the South Florida whatever. So both coaches are kind of calling me wanting to play on the team, and I didn't really know who to choose. I was loyal to both guys. So then all of a sudden, the Midland Redskins came call me, a team from Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm sure you guys have heard of them. So Barry Larkin, Ken Grifter.
Speaker 2: All played for them.
Speaker 4: And basically the opportunity is you're gonna come out there, You're going to live there in the summer, you're gonna stay with the host family.
Speaker 2: They give you a rental car.
Speaker 4: They played like eighty games, seventy games, like a crazy schedule, so it's like the closest thing to a minor league season.
Speaker 2: And then on top of that, for me, oh I was out. I'm like I'm there. I can't wait.
Speaker 4: Then on top of that, the perfect Game National Showcase was at the University of Cincinnati that year.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, this is like a one stop shop. This is perfect. I'm out so perfect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I went to that I went to that team after and man, that was that team. Man the Papa Joe Joe Hayden, he passed away, but he was the owner of that team. He owned a Midland insurance He was a billionaire. Smoke fourteen cigars a day. He would come out there with a towel over his shoulders, just smoking a cigar on his bucket.
Speaker 2: But this dude, man, he was. He was the best dude ever.
Speaker 4: Hit me so much, not about baseball, but off the field as well.
Speaker 2: Super successful, super.
Speaker 4: Humped and h man, he's he's incredible. I have a great Farmington, New Mexico story. Can I get into that one real quick?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Of course.
Speaker 4: So we go to Farmington, New Mexico. So I play for the Midland Redskins. We win the Connie Mac World Series. The next year, I get drafted by the Royals and I got.
Speaker 2: This was justin.
Speaker 4: This was when there was that two month layover until the August fifty deadline. So you have the deadline until the sign was August fifteenth, So I play that summer in Midland.
Speaker 2: So I go there.
Speaker 4: They're gonna let me dh and maybe even play like outfield. But I end up getting to go back and a lot of people were not happy with me because they don't want me to go risk getting hurt that connected my signing.
Speaker 2: Or my negation with the Royals.
Speaker 4: So long story short, I end up going to the Farmington, New Mexico. I was playing in the AFLAC All American Game that year, so the plan was that the championship game in Farmington, New Mexico was on a Saturday. The AFFLIC game was on a Sunday, so there was no way I'd be able to play the game, find a flight the afflete to San Diego.
Speaker 2: The flight, I'm sorry. The games in the morning, so I just couldn't make it.
Speaker 4: So that was kind of the understanding with my parents at Midland, kind of going into the team.
Speaker 2: So then we get to Farmington. Sure enough, we make it to the championship game.
Speaker 4: So I get all fired up and emotional and I'm like Papa Joe, I'm not leaving man, I'm staying here. I'm not going to the AFFLAT game in here.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's all good.
Speaker 4: So we end up playing the next day. We beat the East Cob Yankees. We win it all. We're supposed to go to the hotel. We're going to the pool.
Speaker 2: We're gonna hang out, they're gonna barbecue. It's gonna be great. So after the game, Brian Hiler.
Speaker 4: Is the coach and he gets He comes up to me and he goes, hey, come on, you need to come with me.
Speaker 2: So I go, what's going on?
Speaker 4: What's happening? So he goes, just come with me. He gets me in a car, takes me to the airport in Farmington.
Speaker 1: And go on showing you're going to the a flack Why.
Speaker 2: Do the flag game?
Speaker 4: And it was like the most amazings of my life man, And I'm like, hey man, you want to pay attention to drive this thing.
Speaker 6: Let's talk Fabletics, shall we? They have apparel for every season. We're wearing it as we talk about it. It's soft, it's comfortable. I wear it on the show sometimes on FT. What else do you love about it?
Speaker 5: Crats, Well, I have it on right now and I'm all about quality. But you know what, you know how good your clothes are when you're a parent and your kids keep stealing all of it. My daughter stole the sweatshirt, my son sole one of my t shirts. So it's got to be nice looking.
Speaker 6: And if it gets a little bit chillier then it's layering season and they've got layers for the fall. Shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so do not wait again. That's fabletics dot com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 1: By the way, just quickly, how did the A Flat Game go? Did you make it? And did you did you do well?
Speaker 4: I went to the A Flat Game? I think I got I got a hit. I went one for three, maybe one for two. I got to meet Pat Murphy there. He was there, so it was great, man, it was great.
Speaker 1: Great. Just a couple of minutes left haus We're going to get to uh we do we do the kitchen sink? We kind of throw some random questions at you have kind of quick answers here and then we'll get into your MVP. So the first question on the kitchen sink, you alluded to it. We know you won a World Series. You also want a WBC gold medal. I've heard some people say the WBC is the greatest thing they ever did. How do you compare the gold medal and a World Series title?
Speaker 4: Oh man, it's just so different for an American born player because the World Series is kind of that was my dream as a kid. World Baseball Classic came on a little later, but that was special as well.
Speaker 2: Man, Jim Leland was my manager when we won the gold medal.
Speaker 4: Being able to celebrate with him, that's I'll never forget those memories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, excellent, that's awesome. All right, let's go to the next one here. That was it's always tough to put put a put an exclamation point on which one there. But let's get to something a little less serious on that one. But favorite food city? Man, what's you've been all over? Give us your favorite food city?
Speaker 2: And why?
Speaker 4: Oh man, Chicago. There are some great restaurants in Chicago. And the traveling secretary for the Cubs VJ. He is the man and he any restaurant you ever want to go to and experience, He's got it.
Speaker 2: So Chicago, what's your favorite food?
Speaker 1: What if Haush had a meal where you're going?
Speaker 4: My Well, favorite type of food is Italian, no question. I want to go to an Italian restaurant. I love each and every I just went to the saloon in South Philly a couple of weeks ago, and that place Viille Parmesan on the bone man bone in It was so good.
Speaker 1: This is the kind of important information that we need and parents need to know. All right, Next question on the kitchen sink for the World Series in WBC winner hauns Which came first? Your love of baseball or your love of broadcasting because you love broadcasting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean obviously baseball, and then that love just kind of you understand post baseball career, like playing career. My coach used to always say, baseball is not who you are, it's what you do.
Speaker 2: And then I ended.
Speaker 4: I retired my baseball career and it went a year without kind of being involved in the game, and I'm like, it might actually be who I am a little bit, you know, But I love the.
Speaker 2: Game so much.
Speaker 4: I just had to find a way to stay involved, man, and broadcasting is the ability.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: It gives me separation, It gives me ten days at home with my family, with my kids. I got three kids, all under four, and then it gives me three four days on the road where I get to kind of lock in on a team, on a pitcher and feel that rush again.
Speaker 2: So it's the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you were when you were hitting in the backyard. You were describing here's Hans deep drive. I mean you were doing that when you were a kid, right, Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I had that Tony Gwynn solo hitter.
Speaker 4: I had those baseball's on the string and I'd pull the string back.
Speaker 2: But you better believe before that string was back, it was about.
Speaker 4: A thirty second intro about the situation and who's that and who's batting right now?
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that.
Speaker 2: Okay, hear those?
Speaker 3: All right, let's go to the last one of the kitchens sinking. Then we'll get to your MVP, man and get you out of here. But describe Eric Hosmer the.
Speaker 2: Dad Ooh, so that's salty.
Speaker 4: You can see a lot of salt in this beard, and that's extremely salty as a dad, that's for sure. But you know, there's certain things now that I understand a lot more as a dad. You know, a lot of fathers when I was a player, A lot of parents when I was in Kansas City would come up to me all the time to share that, you know, I was a role model for their son, for their child, or even their daughter. And I you know understanding now, having you know, a boy and two girls, what that means to have influence on someone's children.
Speaker 2: And you know, my boy, I want him.
Speaker 4: To be such a good dude, so bad that I know he's always gonna look at me as dad and he's gonna be he's probably not gonna listen to me. So now, you know, I realize how fortunate I am to be with the Royals, and he's going to be watching Kansas City and he'll probably have a liking for Bobby Wit Junior and how good of a guy he is.
Speaker 2: These little just.
Speaker 4: You know, character, the guys that you know show that kind of accountability and character is the stuff that I kind of sense now and I see as a dad. And that's the stuff that I just find myself appreciating a lot more. And uh yeah, that's kind of the Uh. The way that the saltiness comes out now is if there's certain guys kind of disrespecting that professionalism or you know.
Speaker 2: That kind of character flaw.
Speaker 4: Situation so different than the young has at twenty one in the Power of Life District.
Speaker 1: Here the city, no doubt, no doubt although the Power in Life District was a good place for a twenty one year old, that's for dang. Sure, all right, has last one we have for you? This is a question we ask all of our guests. The most valuable person in your life as you grew up doesn't have to be about baseball. But if you had one MVP, who would it be in your life?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, that's my mom for sure.
Speaker 1: My mom.
Speaker 4: I think you know, your mom is the person that knows you and your mom can almost My mom can almost sense when something is going on before it even happens. And you know, baseball, especially the way that my career path took me with baseball, you just mentally, man, you become fried sometimes and you just need someone to just come up to you and get that refresh, you know. And I think Mom for me was the MVP person for sure because she had that ability to do that refresh just on command, before I even knew I needed that refresh button.
Speaker 1: It's the beauty of mom, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Oh Man, no doubt Mom.
Speaker 4: And then I'll tell you what man. Now fast forward, every man. I got two little girls, and every man needs a little girl.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: They bring out a soft side in you that I never knew I had, but I love that I have it.
Speaker 1: Amen to that. Hey haus Man, this you've been great. Your stories are exactly what this is all about. We know that the information you gave to the fans and the members here tonight have been outstanding. So thanks for wish you the best of luck in your in your career and we'll see at the ballpark soon.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, Rabbi Ganaway brother, thanks man. Thanks for having me too, buddy. Yeah, thanks a lot man.
Speaker 1: Remember everybody joined. Please become a member here. We thank Eric Hosmer, who is outstanding. But it is the parent Dugout. Join us at the parent dugout dot com. Become a member and join in. You get all the content you get these types of podcasts. And next week a very special guest. We expect to have Alex Cora on special time Next week on August tenth at nine to thirty Eastern time, eight thirty Central time. And again, all questions go to parent dug Out send them to info at the parent dugout dot com. Great edition again tonight, justin We'll see you next week, buddy, Thanks Ravy