Speaker 1: It's May thirtieth, eighteen ninety three, about ten months after someone murdered Andrew and Abby Borden with an axe. Andrew's daughter, Lizzie is about to stand trial for the gruesome crime. She's been in custody for months, and her jury is about to be selected. But then a young woman is killed just two miles away. Bertha Manchester was twenty two years old, the daughter of a Fall River farmer. Her body was discovered in their kitchen, also bludgeoned with an axe. There was blood everywhere, and some of the family's valuables were missing. This story is mentioned sometimes because, with Lizzie Borden's trial about to start and lessen week, it seemed like too great of a coincidence to many people in Fall River. Another brutal murder in the same small town also committed around the same time of day as the Bordon murders, and more importantly, carried out with an axe. It couldn't have been Lizzie Borden this time, though, because she was in police custody, as she had been for almost a year. Would the similarities with Bertha Manchester's murder end up having an impact on Lizzie Bordon's jury. Police and fall River were certainly concerned that Bertha's case might influence things, so they poured themselves into Bertha's case. They seemed to think that a quick resolution would help remove the mystery around the second axe murderer. So here we go the end of Bertha Manchester's story. Her father, Stephen Manchester, was initially considered suspicious, but police apparently ruled him out quickly. Bertha's eleven year old brother had reacted almost gleefully on the day of the murder, which definitely seemed odd, but as Paul Holes and I often say, it's hard to predict how someone will act when a loved one is subjected to trauma, so police ruled out the brother. Also, Bertha never left the farm. She had no boyfriends that anyone knew of, few close friends, and she seemed to.
Speaker 2: Have no enemies.
Speaker 1: But it seems likely that whoever did murder her must have known the farm fairly well. Here's why it appeared that the killer likely forced his way through the kitchen door, not the front door. Yes, he might have seen Bertha in the window stirring her gingerbread dough, but he also knew to start out in that direction to find her. The Manchester's dog reportedly barked just once. That's strange, and the dog wasn't hurt.
Speaker 2: Maybe it knew the man.
Speaker 1: Also, after the killer murdered Bertha, it seems he spent some time in the house looking for valuables. He must have known that only Stephen Manchester would be around that day, and with him gone, the house.
Speaker 2: Would be empty.
Speaker 1: But robbery didn't seem to be a motive because he left behind some obviously valuable items. When the killer decided to leave, he knew to exit through the kitchen and out a door that faced the barn at the back. The killer knew that on the other side of the barn was a winding trail that would lead him to a major street and to an undetected escape. This killer knew the farm, and with this assessment, police were now searching for someone who hated the family, but not Bertha Manchester, someone who hated her father. On Sunday, June fourth of eighteen ninety three, the day before jury selection for Lizzie Borden's trial, the Fall River Daily Herald evening edition featured a screaming headline captured Carrero in jail, charged with killing Bertha Manchester. It was the same day that Bertha was buried near her home in the Oak Grove Cemetery. The investigation had lasted just five days, and very quickly police had begun to suspect a disgruntled former employee of Stephen Manchester's, a Portuguese immigrant named Jose Carrero de Mello. His capture wasn't especially exciting, but it was intriguing. It was a family drama. This is according to my favorite historical true crime blog, Murder by Gaslight. The police contacted Jose's uncle, Jacindo Munez Macado and Frank Macado Silva, a leader in the Portuguese American community, and they persuaded the pair to tell Jose that they needed him as a witness to a horse theft and they would pay a hefty witness fee. On Saturday night, June fifth, Jose went to the police station with his uncle, and he had no idea that he was a murder suspect. This was not even a week after Bertha's murder, so this happened very quickly. It turns out that Stephen Manchester didn't pay people very well, and he wasn't very sympathetic, so police had focused their investigation on some of his former employees, the ones who never stuck around for very long. Stephen Manchester told a newspaper quote, I can't remember the names of these Frenchmen and Portuguese I have had. Half of the time, I don't know them. I have had Antoine's and Joe's and George's. The police have been pestering me all day to remember some of the names, but I cannot break my jaw over their names. I always pay a man what I think he is worth, and if he don't like it, it don't make any difference. He won't get any more. Carrera de Mello had been placed at the top of the suspect list because he had recently left the farm very angry over money and since Bertha's murder. Jose had gone missing. When he was discovered in nearby Taunton, his uncle agreed to bring him to the station peacefully. Jose was reportedly interrogated by the local police for four hours. These were the same investigators who were assigned to the Borden murders. There were four detectives and four captains in the room with him, as well as a stenographer who took copious notes. There was little information for hours until detectives in Fall River reported to the police station they had found something. On the day of Bertha Manchester's murder, Jose was hoping to buy a new pair of shoes and he ended up negotiating with the saale salesman at a shoe store. There was another Portuguese man there who helped to translate. As part of his payment, Jose offered the man behind the counter what's called a trade dollar, which was a silver coin, and then he also handed the salesman a fifty cent piece with a tiny hole in it, called a plugged half dollar. The salesman said no to this. The price of silver had gone down, so the trade dollar wasn't worth a dollar, and the fifty cent piece was worthless because it had a hole in it. But the shoe dealer was in a rush to get to the races, so begrudgingly he took the money as well as two quarters, and that was Jose's mistake. Police showed the money to Bertha's sister, Jenny, and as she looked down at the coins, she recognized the date on the trade dollar eighteen seventy eight, and of course not everyone had a fifty cent piece with a hole in it. She told police that her father had given the coins to Bertha. Jose sat quietly as the detectives peppered him with questions. He listened to the man near him translate from English to Portuguese. Jose was dressed smartly in a rust colored soft hat, a light colored coat, dark pants with light stripes, and those new shoes. He was quite tall and very young, just eighteen, and he sported a little black goatee and a mustache. A key point here, Jose was very thin. Bertha Manchester, according to her friends, would have been a formidable woman for him to overpower. The shoe salesman had come and gone and had already identified him as the man who bought shoes from him. Despite his objections, the salesman gave detectives a little bit more information. Jose had taken the odd coins from a lady's pocket book, which opened with a clasp on top. Another set of witnesses claims to have seen Jose running down a thoroughfare of the day of the murders, wearing the same clothes he was wearing in the police station, but Jose refused to confess, and he was eventually assigned a lawyer. The police theorized that Jose came to the Manchester farm expecting to find Stephen Manchester, perhaps to demand money. Instead, Jose discovered Bertha all by herself. After a huge fight, he murdered her. Jose was angry with Stephen Manchester and he took out his rage on Bertha, and soon Jose confessed another brutal axe murder, right at the start of Lizzie Borden's high profile trial. It's quite a coincidence, and the motive is startling, a disgruntled employee taking revenge on his employer. To the police investigators in Full River, that motive for murder felt familiar because it's actually what they first thought had happened at the Bordon House that day. Kara Robertson is the author of the most comprehensive Lizzie Borden book to date.
Speaker 3: What they first suspected might have happened at the Bordon House, namely that some you know, deranged former employee had broken in and killed Andrew Borden because of some kind of dispute, and just unfortunately for her, happened upon Abby Bordon and killed her as well, that you know, some version of that had actually happened out of the Manchester farm.
Speaker 1: It seemed like their suspicions had come true, only on a whole different case. And here they were arresting an immigrant for murdering the daughter of his former boss. I know, this sounds like the kind of story that would be political football today. It turns out that it was then too.
Speaker 3: You know, here this Portuguese immigrant who's nuts comes in and kills her because he can't get to her father.
Speaker 1: Lizzie Borden's defense could have had a field day with this sort of story. How could they accuse this young woman of a brutal crime against her own parents when a crazed immigrant had been on the loose during the Bordon murders. But as the trial got started, the prosecutor in Lizzie's case instructed the jury not to be swayed by the defense's ridiculous argument. The police chief certainly didn't believe that Jose Carrero de Mello had killed the Burdons. He was sure that Lizzie had done it herself.
Speaker 3: And Marshall Hilliard's quite dismissive because he said that the you know, the murders seemed quite different, you know, in terms of forethought and you know, even even on some level of the violence. I mean, as horrible as it was for the murders to be committed by an axe, you know, he just took a couple of swings. It wasn't the same obliteration of the you know, the face that you know you saw in Andrew's murder.
Speaker 1: But the defense was keen on exploring any possibility that someone other than Lizzie Borden murdered her parents. That would mean ignoring the basic details of the case, like if Jose did kill the Burdens, would he really not have been spotted coming out of the house on Second Street in broad daylight?
Speaker 3: But I think, you know, a crazy Portuguese guy with the ass walking around town would have been noticed.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 3: The odd thing about the Bordon murders, and I have said this before, but you know, it always surprised me were how many people were walking past the house, you know, just on an ordinary late morning in August. I think of it as being a relatively quiet area, but it was a you know, a mixed business and residential area.
Speaker 4: So there's a fair amount of foot traffic.
Speaker 1: So logistically, is it possible that Carrera de Mello was the one carrying the axe. Some people in Fall River thought so, but it was because of his ethnicity, and Lizzie Bordon's defense certainly took.
Speaker 2: Full advantage of that.
Speaker 1: They tried to create reasonable doubt using just about anyone in the city at the time, anyone who could have possibly been responsible, anyone but Lizzie Borden.
Speaker 3: And there's a lot of discussion of the trial of who else has seen or not seen around the time of the murders. So the defense does quite a bit with you know, they're these odd looking people who are spotted in the area.
Speaker 1: Kara Robertson says that the defense brought in witnesses just so they could present them as other potential suspects.
Speaker 3: And then they also talk about how Andrew Borden was not seen by people on his walk home, to suggest that it might be possible for someone to make that walk and be in the area and be lurking around and not be seen. You know, they managed to have the busyness kind of cut both ways that it might have provided cover for an assassin, but it also it also presented many suspects who could have been in the area.
Speaker 1: By this point, you've likely noticed that all my historical crime stories are grounded by social issues. Why are we telling this story right now? In the case of Bertha Manchester, it's interesting to explore the issue around nativism in the eighteen hundreds. Bertha became an avatar for the idealized white woman as a victim.
Speaker 3: She was kind of the perfect nativist victim, and this was the perfect nativist murder in the sense of it was, you know, this deranged immigrant person, you know, kills this nice, virtuous, native born daughter at home.
Speaker 1: Why was it not surprising to people in the nineteenth century that an immigrant like jose had committed this brutal murder.
Speaker 3: So that's the case that's kind of out of the nativist nightmare.
Speaker 4: You know that this this crazy immigrant in a dispute over.
Speaker 3: Wages, kills the daughter of his employer, and she's presented in the newspapers as if she is, you know, pretty much a paragon of feminine traits.
Speaker 1: Historian Nel Darby says that at a minimum, white people in the eighteen hundreds were suspicious of immigrants.
Speaker 5: You get it for anyone who is perceived to be different, who isn't the majority, you know, And again we have the equivalent in England in the nineteenth century with class, but also with immigrants to England, sort of Irish immigrants particularly were viewed with suspicion.
Speaker 1: Nell says that the Irish and England were targeted much like the immigrants in America were targeted.
Speaker 5: And they were deemed to be particularly violent men, drunken men. So if a crime happened, you know, there was always this suspicion that, oh, well, it must have been an irishman.
Speaker 1: Nell says that those generalizations have played out throughout the history of crime.
Speaker 5: So there's all these these generalizations and kind of a lack of education about people where you'll get the majority kind of picking on, you know, anybody who is other, anybody who isn't them, and saying, well, it must be them who are committing these clients. It couldn't possibly be one of us.
Speaker 1: But the dynamic between immigrants and whites was shifting in the late eighteen hundreds, much to the dismay of the Nativists.
Speaker 3: To think about the time period that you know, eighteen seventy to you know, the early part of the twentieth century is when the biggest migrations are from well, from the parts of Europe that you know, were considered to be less desirable at the time.
Speaker 1: Kara says that this was all taking place in a time that the Irish and the Portuguese communities had begun to join forces and new political alliances were beginning to form.
Speaker 3: You know, so the mayor is a Catholic at the time of the murders, so you know, you sort of have the sense of the maybe the Yankees kind of losing their political stranglehold. They might they might still have a social a social status that the others go quite happ yet, but it seems like there's more mixing in the communities.
Speaker 1: She says that it was actually a marriage that helped alter the political landscape in Fall River.
Speaker 3: There's a marriage that unites the it's actually the Irish and the French Canadian families political families, and that results in the successful mayoral campaign of the man who's the mayor at the time of the Bordon murders.
Speaker 1: But even though times were changing, could a defense strategy grounded in racism actually work? Would a jury believe that Jose Carrera de Mello, the Portuguese immigrant had killed not just Worth of Manchester, but also the Burdens. Could this convince the panel of men that Lizzie Borden was innocent? Hopefully not, but we'll never know for sure because the investigators who interrogated Jose Carrera Demelo discovered something else important about the timeline of the Bordon murders, and it was in this beautiful evidence.
Speaker 3: In the case of Birth of Manchester's murder, a Portuguese immigrant had a dispute with her father over his wages, and he had an axe and he killed Birth of Manchester. She happened to be at home and it was pretty straightforward. And the police were also able to determine that he had not been in the country at the time of the Bordon murders, so it wouldn't work to say that he had committed both.
Speaker 1: Jose Carrera de Mello had been in Portugal until April of eighteen ninety three. He had not arrived in the United States until eight months after the Burdons were murdered.
Speaker 3: You know, if you assume that they got the right person, then he couldn't have done He couldn't have committed those murders, and the fact that they found him and that he confessed, assuming we believe the confession, then that it means that there wasn't somebody who could have committed all of those murders.
Speaker 1: But at least in Bertha's case, was a confession, assuming we believe it. Paul Hols often reminds me that confessions can't always be believed, and we know that since most forensic tools weren't available in the eighteen hundreds, police often leaned on undeniably violent interrogation techniques to get confessions out of suspects. Kara Robertson seems to agree he confessed.
Speaker 3: Now, I mean, given what we know about police's behavior, particularly towards people who are considered undesirable members of society, I don't know what to make of that. Like, you know, maybe maybe there is some room room for doubt there, but I don't think there's any connection between him and the Borden murders.
Speaker 1: I agree it sounds like Jose Carrera de Mello was truly guilty of murdering Birtha Manchester, that it was simply a case of wrong place, wrong time, but still it was such an odd coincidence and it certainly impacted the way the people of Fall River thought about both cases. In the end, Jose was given a life sentence, but that wasn't the end of his story, because he would eventually get a reprieve. This next part is also from Murder by Gaslight. Jose served nearly twenty years of his life sentence. Then, through the persistence of John C. Santos, a prominent Portuguese resident of Taunton, Massachusetts, he was pardoned on December thirty first, nineteen thirteen. It sounds like Jose was also required to stay out of trouble. If he were arrested in Portugal for any reason, even something minor, he would spend the rest of his life in prison. He was also required to return to his native town in Portugal and never come back to the United States. So remember that Jose's uncle had convinced his nephew to turn himself into police that weekend. Since then, the uncle became an outcast in the Portuguese community, where it was believed that he had sold out his nephew for five hundred dollars. We don't know if he really did receive money for persuading Jose to go to the police station, but his uncle certainly lied to him. Not surprisingly, this caused a fissure between the two men. Jose reportedly refused to see his uncle when he came to visit over those two decades that he was imprisoned for Bertha's murder. Less than eight weeks after Jose's release, his uncle died in his home. The official cause of death was pneumonia, but friends say he actually died of a broken heart. Just a little aside here. Jose Carrera de Mello was imprisoned with hard labor in the United States. I had wondered about the conditions of Lizzie Borden's prison. She was held less than a year, but I'm sure it must have been really difficult on her.
Speaker 3: She did go to an ordinary prison, but she was given special treatment within that prison. She had her own room, she was allowed to have her own furniture, She had visitors. You know, the matron was very kind to her. You know, there was even a cat that she sort of adopted. She received gifts of chocolate. She had a bit of a sweet tooth, so that comes up in her correspondence whenever she received something like that. So she didn't have an ordinary experience of being in prison, even when she was in jail awaiting.
Speaker 1: Trial, sounds about right. Kara says, it was all about class structure, as most things were in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 2: I wondered what.
Speaker 1: Would have happened if she were deemed legally insane.
Speaker 3: She would have been considered someone who needed care rather than rather than just being locked up in a dungeon. And that had a lot to do with her class status and ethnicity and self presentation. You know, she ticked the boxes of being a lady, you know, as it was understood in those days. And so there's no way they would have subjected her to know what we might think of as this sort of horrors of the worst kind of group mental institution in that era.
Speaker 1: Now that the mystery of the murder of Bertha Manchester was settled, the prosecutor in Lizzie's trial moved on to establishing her motive. The district attorney needed to explain why Lizzie Borden, a woman from a respectable household, would have killed her father and stepmother. But instead, what the prosecution team claimed was there was no motive, just insanity.
Speaker 3: They really thought Lizzie Borden must be insane. They were convinced she was guilty, and for them, that was really the only explanation that made sense to them. I mean, after all, they're confronting this very typical looking, upper middle class woman who's involved in all the appropriate charities, and she's supposed to have killed her father and her stepmother with a hatchet or an axe, and it just seems so unbelievable that there had to be an explanation of insanity. I mean, really, it was the only it was the only thing that they could imagine.
Speaker 1: The prosecutor tried to get the defense to agree to have Lizzie Borden examined by a psychiatric expert.
Speaker 3: But the defense understandably didn't want to do anything that would suggest that she wasn't innocent, because, you know, for their part, that was what they needed to do to defend her. But also, I think it's fair to say, based on you know, the information that you know that we have from journals and the like, that they really believed she was innocent.
Speaker 1: The defense certainly wasn't going to hand the prosecution anything that they could have used to suggest that Lizzie might be mentally ill or guilty things really haven't changed. And then there were the national and the local newspapers.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just a juicy story, and that there was such a media surface around the case, you know, of the kind that those of us who are old enough for member from oj Simpson that you know, pretty much anything that was salacious or juicy in any way from Fall River's past that had even a vague connection to the case was brought out.
Speaker 1: Kara says that even the columnists themselves became part of the stories.
Speaker 3: So pretty much anything was fair game to gin up excitement about this case that you know, was going to sell a lot of newspapers.
Speaker 1: With pressure from the press, the prosecutor tried to dig into Lizzie Bordon's family history for signs of insanity. Might she have inherited it?
Speaker 3: You know, The prosecution, since they got no cooperation from the defense, did their own investigation of Lizzie Bordon's family to see if they could trace anything that looked like insanity in the family tree, you know, and went so far as to ask the former and current directors of the McLean Asylum for the Insane in Massachusetts for their opinion, you know, sort of off the record, and then sent out a police officer to interview anyone that they could talk to who knew anything about Lizzie Borton's biological ancestors.
Speaker 1: Now that was intriguing. I asked Kara if they had any look, did they find any evidence of insanity?
Speaker 4: They came up with nothing.
Speaker 3: I mean, there was some talk of her mother being peculiar and maybe subject to fits of rage, and one person said he thought Lizzie Borton was very ugly, you know, in this in the sense of, you know, not being a nice person. I don't think it was a physical characterization that she had an ugly disposition, but you know, there may have been some odd apples in the family tree, but but you know, no suggestion of actual insanity.
Speaker 1: So then they looked outside the immediate family tree, and the papers picked up on something from almost half a century earlier, those murders that had taken place right next door by another Burden, Eliza Hathaway Darling Bordon. Though Lizzie Borden and her great aunt Eliza Darling Bordon shared the Bordon name, they were only related by marriage. But that didn't stop the oppress and the prosecution in Lizzie's case from digging into their similarities.
Speaker 3: As you say, there's no genetic, biological connection at all. I think it was just that it was, you know, the combination of the last name and the proximity.
Speaker 4: You know, it was just next door.
Speaker 3: So the idea that, wow, these these terrible things have happened so close to each other.
Speaker 1: Still, despite the fact that there was no shared blood between Lizzie Borden and Eliza Borden, the prosecutor did bring up Eliza's name. Bordon tour guide Ashley Bolero and relative Cary Nolty say that the prosecution was anxious to make the connection.
Speaker 6: Now we're pushing it forty years later during the Lizzie Bordon trial and they bring up this horrendous crime that happened next door, and they're like, well, maybe Lizzie committed these murders because insanity just runs in the family.
Speaker 2: Because it was.
Speaker 7: Still fresh in everyone's memory, you know, they could bring that up was it was known the time, which tells me that it was.
Speaker 4: A pretty big deal even if Therewig was gone. Lodwig was gone.
Speaker 7: Lodwig was gone, but Maria was still around.
Speaker 6: They actually reached out to Maria during that time, and she was still living in Fall River, she had children, and she was thriving, so that even put more ends to the claim.
Speaker 2: They kind of threw that out.
Speaker 6: They're like, oh, well, you know, another reason not to think that Lizzie did it because she insanity.
Speaker 1: So then the prosecutor asked Lizzie Borden's attorneys if she could be tested by a mental health professional, but again they were denied. I wonder what they were looking for. It sounds like perhaps because of her gender, they were so ensure of their case that they hoped that even the prospect of this connection would convince the jury that Lizzie Borden was mentally ill and that therefore she was a killer.
Speaker 4: You know, are you full of telling the difference between right or wrong?
Speaker 3: And you know, I think she would have passed that without any any difficulty.
Speaker 1: Kara says that it might have been easy to convince an all male jury that she was legally insane because compared to men, women were considered unstable in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 3: One thing that they were looking at, you know, that was specific to that era, though we do see echoes of it even today, is this idea that women are particularly vulnerable to a species of insanity, a specifically gendered insanity, at the time of their menstrual periods or in other parts of their cycle of life.
Speaker 1: That seems like a lot to unpack, and it had been Lizzie Borden's lawyers who brought it up. At first, they didn't want any mention of her mental health, and now somehow they're talking about her time of the month.
Speaker 3: There is this tricky bit in the trial where Lizzie Borden's defense lawyers are using the fact that she was on what they called her monthly illness as an explanation for some things that she did that what might otherwise say show consciousness of guilt. You know, that she made predictions of something terrible happening on the night before the murders. Also that there was a tiny bit of blood found on an internal skirt, so they were able to use it for things that suited them. But they were somehow, very cleverly able to not raise the specter of menstrual insanity, which would have been a potential diagnosis.
Speaker 1: Kara says that no one wanted to talk about menstruation at a Lizzie Borden trial neither side, even if it might have helped them, and the prosecutor stayed far away from it.
Speaker 3: It seemed as if they didn't want to talk about menstruation either, you know, that it made them uncomfortable for whatever reason.
Speaker 4: You know. And there's the famous incident.
Speaker 3: Of the discovery of the bloody towels in the basement of the house on the day of the murders. This essentially a bucket or a pail with some what were described as menstrual claws.
Speaker 1: But even so, that bucket of bloody clothing hadn't really been investigated by the male officers.
Speaker 3: And you know, you might think, if you're investigating this, you know, horribly violence, double homicide where the murderer was likely to have been spattered with blood, that finding a pail of blood soaked rags, you know, might raise some suspicion. But you know, they were quite happy to accept that. No, no, that's that's just evidence of menstruation. So she was quite lucky in that regard because it could have gone It could have gone badly, I think.
Speaker 1: So what ties all of these tragedies together once again? It's time to circle back to the supposed curse of Fall River and the supposed curse of the family lines of Thomas Cornell Junior and Sarah Earl. The stories of their descendants litter the pages of Fall River crime history books. So I asked relative Caring Noulty about the connection between Eliza Borden and Lizzie Bordon.
Speaker 7: They tried to say that insanity ran through the family by bringing this up, but they pointed out the opposing council pointed out that Eliza actually was not a Bordon.
Speaker 4: She was only a Bordon by.
Speaker 1: Marriage, right, it wasn't direct and so that argument was dropped. But what if the prosecutors just didn't look back far enough down the family line. Remember, both Eliza and her husband were related to Sarah Earle and Thomas Cornell, and so was Lizzie Borden. But we are talking about in some ways that doesn't matter. What we're looking more towards is several generations up in the Earls.
Speaker 4: And Sarah Earle.
Speaker 3: Who you think, and I'm kind of on your wavelength about whether she was really more heavily involved in the death of Rebecca Briggs.
Speaker 1: I thought a lot about Carrie's belief that perhaps Rebecca Briggs Cornell was murdered, and that it was her daughter in law, Sarah who had done it. Maybe there was more than just a mean streak in the Earle family. Maybe there was something darker.
Speaker 7: Yeah. And then also potentially you don't necessarily have to wield the weapon yourself to cause someone's death.
Speaker 1: Even if Sarah didn't push Rebecca into the fire herself, Carrie thinks that she might have convinced Thomas to do it. And then perhaps Eliza Darling Borden might have been driven to suicidal thoughts, not just from postpartum depression, but also by a cruel husband.
Speaker 7: And if Lodwig was of a mind to be cruel to his wife and to deny her support someone who had lost her mother, young, lost her father, lost uncles, lost grandparents, lost her first child in a moment of real upheaval, that's a recipe for disaster.
Speaker 1: There might be something to this. I asked crime historian Nel Darby about inheriting certain traits from past generations, past criminal traits that run in the family.
Speaker 5: I think from my experience obviously looking at historical cases, there was often this thing of oh, well, that relative had displayed similar traits in the past, and you'd get kind of neighbors or family members coming up with these stories about how they remembered other relatives behaving in an odd way, or the whole family being regarded as odd or peculiar.
Speaker 1: Neil says that in smaller communities, you'd get this kind of knowledge being passed down about a particular family and about the fact that they were known to have these kinds of traits.
Speaker 5: And it wasn't necessarily described explicitly as a mental illness or insanity, but it was just this recognition that, oh, yes, we remember her father or her grandfather or her mother or grandmother being slightly peculiar.
Speaker 1: I've heard that repeatedly in my own stories. One killer is a bastard, and so was his father and his grandfather. Perhaps there's something shared in their blood, or maybe it's just the situation surrounding a particular family, you know.
Speaker 5: And I think today we probably in more reasoned about it, not only seeing it as like possible family history mental illness, but looking at the circumstances in which someone grows up and the effect that can have on you mentally.
Speaker 4: So I think, you know, it does vary, you know, And I don't think it's.
Speaker 5: A straightforward case of saying, well, we're more aware of it now, and we recognize that these things can run in families and it's something out of a particular individual's control, because I think there was some recognition of that certainly a century even two centuries ago.
Speaker 1: This isn't the end of the curse in fall River. Those two or three city blocks would still endure one more widely publicized tragedy, an entirely different murder in a building that would become the focus of the media almost one hundred years later, and another that's connected strangely to the boarding case. In our final episode, we explore the terrible rise of the satanic panic. On the final episode of tenfold More Wicked on exactly right.
Speaker 6: The Fall River police wanted to question him about some murders that had happened, and that some ties that he had to these murders.
Speaker 8: It's a love hate relationship, I think, similar to the way Salem, Massachusetts has a love hate relationship with its witchy history. You can't argue that it brings in tons of people. However, I'm sure if you live there, you're like, could we be known for something else?
Speaker 6: And they spoke to Karen asking her to basically make a statement, and she was like, well, if I'm going to talk to anybody.
Speaker 2: I need to speak to a priest first.
Speaker 6: So they brought her over to the church and that was the last time she was seen alive.
Speaker 8: Absolutely real the people that lost their lives in a ritual, whether there's such a creature as Satan or not, if you die in a sacrifice, that's pretty real to you.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 1: If you love true crime, check out my books American Sherlock and All That Is Wicked. I also have an audio book called The Ghost Club. I can't wait to tell you the real story about the world's most famous ghost hunter, who was the head of the world's most famous ghost club and how he investigated England's most famous haunted house. This has been an exactly right tenfold more media production producer Jason Whaling, Senior producer Alexis m Rossi, consulting producer Kyle Ryan, sound designer Eric Friend, composer Curtis Heath, additional music Jeremy Buller, artwork Nick Toga. Executive producers Georger hart Stark, Karen Kilgareff and Danielle Kramer.