Speaker 1: Warning, Today's episode contained spoilers for season one episodes five to sixty seven of Creature Commandos, so make sure you're all caught up then come back.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Jason Gettepsi.
Speaker 2: And I Brisday Night, and.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to x ray Vision of the podcast where we dive deep to your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. Coming over my our podcast. We're're bringing you three episodes a week, every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Those are usually the days.
Speaker 2: Sometimes as another episodes two. Ought You're lucky?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we are going to be recapping that lost three episodes of Creature Commandos episodes five, episode six, and then in the air log, we're going to be jumping into a Binali recap and reaction to Creature Commandos season one.
Speaker 1: But first let's begin with episode five, The Iron Pot. Creature Commandos up. Now, okay, Creature Commandos. Checking that that that that episodes five command They really are episodes five and six of the uh always good be getting increasingly better and even more intriguing Creature Commando's program. Let's start with episode five, The Iron Pot. This is the Eric episode, and yes, I will say thank you for making Eric continuously terrible.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm actually like I have frast with that commitment to recognizing him as like the terrible undead insel that he is, Like, he's an.
Speaker 2: Awful, awful person, awful parts of many people put together into a person.
Speaker 3: And Yeah, I'm actually really impressed because I Frankenstein is usually frank sized monster is usually one of the mainstay characters of Creature Commandos. You have a big actor like David Harber. But I have been like continuously impressed by how realistic there being about this satur this guy have created.
Speaker 2: He's bad. He's a bad guy.
Speaker 1: So we open in the eighteen thirties. This is right after Eric murdered doctor Frankenstein after catching him in flagrante with the bride. You know that he's set on fire by the bride and then he falls out of the castle and then he washes up in a river where he's found by an old medicine woman. This hearkening very closely back to the original.
Speaker 3: Frank's definitely taking a lot of notes here, but just adding a little bit more of the bride into that origin.
Speaker 1: This old woman, Bogdana, she is she can't she's blind, but she has a wonderful, very cute dog, and she nurses Eric back to health, and Eric tries very hard to resist her charms all the time, and he's like mean to her, but an increasingly like he's mean in an increasingly familiar and warm way to her, like where you can feel like he's warming up to her. That is intercut with the present storyline in which Eric and Flag are trying to figure out, like what's the deal with the creature commando mission to go kill the princess? So they go and they investigate McPherson, who is the psychologist who came in and basically convinced Waller that okay, we have to we have to listen to this prophecy that the princess is going to take over the world because YadA, YadA, YadA. So they investigate McPherson. They follow her to her college. They watch her weirdly hit on her students. Something seems very off here.
Speaker 3: Very weird vibes not at all someone that you would take advice from or listen to if you were Waller.
Speaker 2: From what we see, very very strange.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Flag calls like backed to Pekolistan and warns the chief of the guards, like, hey, creature Karmanos are there not to help, but they're probably gonna assassinate the princess. Flag and Eric sneak into McPherson's home and just to do more investigation and watch her because I think she's being weird. Turns out she's.
Speaker 4: Clayface because the real McPherson is dead and the post that you have been the person you've been seeing is fucking Clayface, which you know Alan Tudick is going to be voicing him, which we can then assume that.
Speaker 3: He will be playing Clayface in the live action Clayface film that will be veteran by filmmaker Mike Flanagan. Very excited about that going to be our horror apparently, and I think Flannagan has the chops to do it.
Speaker 2: I'm very interested in this great twist.
Speaker 3: I think it is really always fun to see a big character like this. I also have to say, like, honestly, the way that James Gunn is bringing in these huge characters and setting stuff up for the DCU is incredibly exciting, and I agree actually feels impactful. And I think there's a reason that this show feels like it keeps getting better, and it's because it's a kind of mix of your classic Saturday morning cartoon, getting loads of different characters, never know who you know is going to show up, but it has obviously this darker, more adult tone, and also it has ramifications for the next year of cinema, or at least it feels like, you know, as we've as we felt as it felt like it feels like it could.
Speaker 2: So we'll have to wait.
Speaker 3: But we are now in twenty twenty five, probably the year of Superman, so it's going to be interesting to see how these do play in and also kind of great to see like an actually scary.
Speaker 1: I thought the animation of clay Face like the actual So Eric can Flag end up in a tussle with clay Face who Fox Flag up breaks his back Baines style.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very good, like nightfull reference that he definitely just like breaks his back like not looking good for him.
Speaker 1: And then Eric gets basically swallowed by clay Face, but does manage to plug his finger into an electrical socket, shocking Clayface and I escape. Meanwhile, in the flashback plotline, we see that Eric eventually kills bog Down strangles her as her dog scratches on the door outside and then leaves, letting you know, like, this guy is a huge piece of fucking, terrible piece of shit and that sets us up for the next What did you think about the episode? I thought, again, first of all, from just a story perspective, really cool twitch that I just when you think you have a handle on what this show is, it flips and I love the layers to it. Like as we were saying when we were first last time we talked about this show, I think for episode three Cheers of the ten Men, or episode four, maybe the Weasel Bottle, it's oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that episode was hot breaking, you know.
Speaker 1: As we were saying when we were last covering the show, it first seemed like it was going to be this very straightforward suicide squad type edgy into some far flung part of the DCEU to do something, some secret mission that's very deadly, and then it, you know, the stakes then got a lot higher when it seemed like, hold on, it's going to kill the Justice League along with Gorilla Grod and like over the world. And now the fact that that seems to be part of a larger plot because you actually this is not very often a work like a mastermind on his own exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like a work for high a gig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is very interesting now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we get those like nods about how McPherson knew a lot about Amazonian law, so like, is that.
Speaker 2: Why he was sent there? Who is he sent by?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Was this another secret Waller kind of you know, she has always a lot of backup plans, that.
Speaker 1: Is a thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she loves to have like a you know, she's like Batman.
Speaker 3: She always has a plan to take down anyone that she's working with. But I'm I'm very interested. I think this was another great episode.
Speaker 2: I don't think it.
Speaker 3: Was like as good as Weasel, but I do still think it was really good. I love that they have not for all the monsters that they have made us empathetic for. I love that Eric Frankenstein is not one of them because he does not deserve it. So yeah, I'm I'm definitely interested to see where it goes as we head towards the final episode of the season.
Speaker 1: Next episode episode six, Pretel skelet This is the Doctor Phosphorus episode.
Speaker 2: We see this episode before the finale to.
Speaker 1: Last episode or the finale, we see in a flashback that once upon a time, like nuclear physicist Alexander Sartorius gets some illicit funding from infamous crime boss Rupert Thorn in order to you know, make a cure for cancer using this special.
Speaker 3: Idea that sounds like something more should be doing that with that powers instead like turning people into dinosaurs, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Doing that and using this special like nuclear fusion process that doctor Sartorius has been developing. However, alex realizes that this is like a nuclear weapons program, actually an illicit nuclear weapons program that Rupert is gonna be basically selling nukes to like different countries.
Speaker 2: Not good.
Speaker 1: Not good, And upon discovering this, Thorn kills doctor Sartorius's family and wife, fridges them, and then frames him for the crime and also locks alex just for his own pleasure in his own like nuclear fusion engine to like watch him get killed by that love.
Speaker 3: To be evil gangster in Gotham, Like you always have to take it the next level as well.
Speaker 2: Guy, Yeah, you can't.
Speaker 3: Just kill him, but that would also mean that he couldn't get his powers. And this actually makes a lot of sense that we're kind of seeing this origin in that more Gotham space with someone like Rupert Thorn, because Posphorus is originally like a Batman bag guy. So that's also why we will get that Batman moment that we'll talk about soon.
Speaker 1: And this is of course how doctor Phosphus becomes Doctor Phosphorus. Now in the present there's a very exciting capstone to that flashback storyline. But in the in the present, Eric you know, sends flags of the flag is all fucked up, his back is broken. He goes his back is.
Speaker 3: Broken, as we thought he got broken. Shouldn't have been a widow.
Speaker 1: But of course he Eric wants to get to Pakolastan to get back together with the bride, so he hijacks a private jet. Also, Phosphorus and the rest of the Creature commandos have been kind of separated after the tussle with the guards, and they're kind of making their way, you know, through different parts of the city and the surrounding landscape to safety and then eventually towards the palace where I guess they're going to kill the princess.
Speaker 3: I gotta say, how annoying must it be to be like doctor Phosphorus or one of like the like Sea Tier, like creature commandos who are just not really involved in any of this drama, like The Bride's drama, Grillo's drama. Like how annoying must it be to be the ones who are just like kind of left in the wake of all these interpersonal like shenanigans that these guys are getting into.
Speaker 1: It must be quite boring and annoying, I would be calling, ehha. So Phosphorus is like just on the streets and he encounters like this child who reminds him of his own son, who's of course now past. Meanwhile, the Bride and Nina are hiding in a local brothel where of course they end up defending the workers there. And Weasel is like out in the woods on the edge of the city where he immediately becomes friendly with a pack of wolves and it's very very cute. They play fetch and they all sleep together in a little pack.
Speaker 2: Very cute. I love Weasel.
Speaker 3: I'm a Justice for Weasel fan also as well, interestingly, I feel like James Gunn is really eager to showcase just how normal meta humans are in his DCU, because when Nina and the Bride are protecting the girls at the brothel. They're protecting them from these, like I think new characters called the Craik Brothers, and they're meta humans. They're not just like shitty guys. They're like meta humans with electual powers. Like, I feel like a lot of this is building the world of this Superman inspired DCU that we're seeing, where there are already meta humans everywhere. Yeah, Like this is completely different than anything we've kind of seen before, which I thought was very interesting.
Speaker 1: I like it. I like that they're going this route. So everybody eventually comes together in a field like heading towards the palace, and they are reunited, and we would imagine in episode seven and this is all going to come to a head, We're gonna find out what happens. Yeah, yeah, Now, I mean I guess this is all a setup in order to get Waller to assassinate the princess. But the question is, oh, and we should say the end of the Yeah, the end of the Doctor Phosphorus flashback is so now is Doctor Phosphorus? Alex takes over Rupert's all of his rackets. He becomes basically like a crime lord, and this brings him into direct conflict. One night at the club that he now.
Speaker 3: Owns, which is called the ice Lounge, so it feels like a future Iceberg Lounge.
Speaker 1: Potentially, this brings him into direct conflict with who else Batman A very chunky, a very sick Batman.
Speaker 3: Looking very it's very like what if Frank Miller's Dark Knight was in the opening of Batman the Animated series. Obviously we did get an episode, a dream like episode where we got the Frank Miller's Dark Knight return style story in Batman Animated series.
Speaker 2: I will say he looks very chonky.
Speaker 3: As super producer Joelle told me, she was like, that does not look like Battinson and I was like, correct, I too had that fear.
Speaker 2: But James Gunn did do a great tweet.
Speaker 3: I have to say his social media presence during this rollout to PCU it is something to be studied, the way that he works alongside the DC Studios and Comics social media teams who are absolutely working their ass off and really creating something exciting. Here he posted, don't worry too much about the silhouette, like this is just the cool silhouette that we use.
Speaker 1: Just showing that he understands that he knows he's like looks there's a big, chonky Batman.
Speaker 3: But that doesn't mean that it's It doesn't mean it is or isn't the same Batman. You know, it's just in that moment that is how imposing Batman looks to Dr Posphorus. And obviously the reason that James gun knew he had to do that tweet is this is the first time that we have seen Batman in the DCU huge, you.
Speaker 1: Know, a really huge moment. Now, who if indeed this is a scheme to get basically US forces to assassinate the member of like the royal member, ruling member of Pecola Stan Who's behind this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And also like, is Circe's vision true because now was clay Face always the professor, always the professor?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Was the Professor taken out?
Speaker 3: I'm very interested to see where that goes, because.
Speaker 2: It does seem like the notion of the Circes visual We got.
Speaker 3: That incredible cameo filled kind of future where all the Justice League died, where we could technically see Batman there, but like in a more he's dead skeleton kind of way, And I'm very interested to see is this gonna be kind of a Skeleton Crew thing where actually all of this could just be a training game because.
Speaker 2: Walla wanted to kill the.
Speaker 3: Princess and destabilize Polakistan and train her task for sem maybe she is that evil. It could basically just be a little closed circle, which I think is always effective if you're not sure where you're going next. But James Gunn, it feels like everything he does right now has a lot of intention, and he's talked about how he essentially greenlit his own show with this one because this is what he wanted to do. So I'm very excited to see what comes next with the finale, and also how much impact and how many loose ends are left after what is clearly going to be I think like a very bloody, gory battle. Let's see where we're left and who survives. I I think Weasel, Doc Posphorus, the Bride Nina.
Speaker 2: I think that's our.
Speaker 3: Core for we see them do the like slow motion type walk, I would hope.
Speaker 2: I do feel like with Weazel.
Speaker 3: You know, he is played by Sean Gunn, James's brother, so hopefully he's not gonna kill him. But I do feel like with all the softness and sweetness they've been building into him and he's misunderstood past. That would be a heartbreaking death, But I think I would hope that Eric will be the one who dies. I don't know if we're going to see Rick Flagg Senia come back in any way, seeing as he has a you know, broken back. But it's the DCU, it's comic books. Anything can happen. Uh, yeah, very interesting. What is your biggest prediction for the finale?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I think that there we're missing a It's waller, you know, so it and it's so it feels like there's a betrayal. It feels like there is a member of the squad maybe mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: She usually has like a secret inside. I'd kind of fail safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is working both sides perhaps, And you know, thinking about doctor Phosphorus, he is a villain. He was a crime boss. He was probably the most successful of the Creature Commandos in terms of just being a metahuman in the world, putting his powers to use for evil. And it does leave me wondering like, is he or another member of the Squad more in the know than they appear to be, Whether it's as part of this scheme to kill the princess, either for the right reasons or the wrong reasons. Like it feels like there's something there, that there's somebody working both sides, and I don't know who it is yet, so that would be my prediction, somebody who is working both sides.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: I think that you're definitely onto it. And we'll talk about it in alogue, which is coming up.
Speaker 1: And where that episode seven Creature Commandos. The finale a very funny monster. We open with a flashback the Infantnina is born. She has a very severe birth defects in which her lungs are apparently on the outside of her body, which by the way, is a real.
Speaker 2: Real thing. Just want to say thing.
Speaker 3: I knew a kid who was born with all of his organs on the outside of his body, and guess what, the incredible NHS and medical geniuses were able to help him live a fulfilling and healthy life. So I just want to say, you do not have to turn someone into the creature from the Black Kragoon they born this way. I always think disability and monsters, we need to be a little bit more thoughtful, guys, a little bit more thoughtful. She could have just been born with girls. But anyway, she's born with the lungs on the outside, and luckily she has a very lovely dad who just cares for us so much.
Speaker 1: Her father is Professor Mazerski, is a extremely minor DC character. He dedicates his life to designing solutions to Nina's maladies and to eventually find a cure. Rosie, do you have anything to tell us about Professor?
Speaker 2: Of course I do, Of course I do. Of course I do.
Speaker 3: His first appearance, now this is great, appeared the first same year I was born, nineteen eighty eight, in a book that almost certainly no one has ever heard of called Young All Stars Issue twelve, not even the first Young He was issue twelve. But he is in the context of the comics, he is like a biochemist who works for the United States during the forties and World War two, and he and he was one of the original people behind Project M in that law and he actually worked in like a kind of underwater like classic evil sort of like almost like a classic evil villains lare. And he would give people almost like power Broker. He would actually be able to give people super like turn people into super soldiers, sort of Captain America style usually what they would call mutants, and eventually that would become the creature commandos. But in that version he is not like the father to to Nina. That is a that is a new and new part. But yeah, very interesting that that happened.
Speaker 1: We returned to the present Ba's to Pacola Stan where Eric creation of doctor frankenste is just chewing his zuber driver's ear off, not saying the worst actually but figuratively basically, yeah, just like continuing to like obsess about the bride and how you know she doesn't that doesn't that overreaction kind of show that actually she does like love him, and like.
Speaker 3: Also like they're gonna make beautiful female friendly pornos together.
Speaker 2: She was created for him.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be like how else could you get? And then clearly the the uber driver is terrified.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, he's like crying, his nose is running.
Speaker 3: It's really good at you, very funny.
Speaker 1: We arrive at the palace where the guards are on higher alert, but it doesn't matter because the commando's basically just would climbing through the window and Eric.
Speaker 4: I just have to say, climb up the window.
Speaker 3: Has such bad security? Come on, worst possible security like just bad.
Speaker 1: Bad get some ad t put some like motion sensors on the ring doorbell.
Speaker 2: Like all these guys, all these.
Speaker 3: Guys have the craziest, sickest anime armor, but like they are just like chilling looking hats and doing.
Speaker 2: Their hair or something. I don't know.
Speaker 3: They need to they need to figure out anyway.
Speaker 1: Eric pulls up just in time to see his beloved the bride, like just bludgeoning the guard whose job it was to guard the window, just bludgeoning him to death. Uh. Nina meanwhile, has concerns where the commanders climbed in was like a security room like in one of the towers. So they have like all these screens that show them like what's going on in the castle. And she's like, are you sure that killing the princess is like the right thing to do? Doc Phosphorus, who I have increasingly been like what, I think.
Speaker 3: He's my MVP of the show, just like a personal fun on the MVP because like I like how just like he is so resigned and he's got such a fun, dead pan delivery, and he is kind of the only one who I feel like hasn't got caught up in the emotional Shenanigans of the creatures.
Speaker 1: He's just like, yeah, but even if even if it's a mistake, who fucking cares. It's just just that she's just there's billions of them. It's not that deal. The bride who by now is it's never been discussed, but is clearly like the leader of the team is like, Nina, gets your fucking head in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's kind of transitioned to that place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's like, Nina, get your head in the game, like we have to do this to save the world. Like let's go, like get like tie your shoelaces and let's go. Meanwhile, Eric is climbing the wall where he saw the Bride in the window and he's trying to get a.
Speaker 3: Giant Frankenstein monster is climbing the wall and like, no, he stopped.
Speaker 2: No red alert.
Speaker 3: It's not like a booby trap because he's just literally gripping on those bricks when he's climbing up the wall, like one of them doesn't fall out, Like there's no little kind of explosions that No, they just like just let him do it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: I feel like if you are planning to destroy the world, your security should be better.
Speaker 2: Gotta gotta amp it up, guys.
Speaker 1: The other thing is like they're in this security room where the guards were ostensibly like defending the castle, and there's like four screens. How big this castle.
Speaker 5: Is so huge, it's like there's a lake inside of it, like it's yeah, and they've got like four like regular twenty three inch like LCD screens with just like four camera angles and that's it.
Speaker 1: That's all we're covering.
Speaker 3: All the cameras are just like focused on exactly what the guards are up to.
Speaker 2: I'm like, guys, come on, like what is going on? And they have nothing?
Speaker 1: Nothing on the way or just.
Speaker 2: Why wide open?
Speaker 3: I need to they need to call in like Brian Tafa Like they're like he's.
Speaker 2: Like Bob Rescue. He's like fortress rescue. You guys have never ever, ever.
Speaker 1: Ever ever seen a fortress this easy to break into?
Speaker 2: Like what is this?
Speaker 1: What's this? Like?
Speaker 6: You need to get no staff, I'm I'm I'm firing the head of security. He's just standing around, okay, doing karaoke, Like you know, something needs to happen because it's it's.
Speaker 2: Not going well for them. And she's gonna learn that.
Speaker 1: Eric climbs through the window, just as the commandos who were like rerunning tape on the on the security system are puzzling over a still from a recently recorded a security tape that shows that the princess is clearly meeting with someone who is a Meti human and is clearly clayface, although you can't see it, faith, but the body tells you that it's clay Face. The bride immediately magdumps her entire like pistol to Eric's chest. He falls out the window, and she jumps down, finishes him off, and uh, you know, calls him a stalker, which was very cathartic. And yeah, and then the and then doctor Phosphorus makes some sort of quip and she says, can it ghost?
Speaker 3: I gotta I golla a chuckle from that one?
Speaker 1: That was really Yeah, I got a great chuckle, classic DC Marvel kind of humor that often happens, you know what. I was thinking about this as the quick as side I was thinking about I forget which issue it is, the classic early Claremont run. I think pre John Burne. This is still cockra when uh, when the X Men are out it's Christmas. They're out at Rockefeller Center watching the ice skating, and in the background is clearly uh like kids in Lowis Lane in a crowd, and also doctor Doom can like be seen in the background ice skating, like just having a good time on the ice of Rock and Feller Center. Anyway, I love stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the really really fun stuff.
Speaker 3: And I think James Gunn has rightfully earned his kind.
Speaker 2: Of with his foot in both worlds.
Speaker 3: He really is good at kind of playing those those lanes. And also as well, there was a time when that was not the case, Like we were not in a world where those two would feel comfortable doing that. But we add in the eternels they mentioned Batman, like these these lines are getting blood and if the corporate conglomerates get what they want, they'll probably all be owned by the same company in like five years anyway, But for now, hilarious. I love that ghostwriter equip great writing.
Speaker 1: We go to another flashback. It's maybe you know, less than a year since near his birth from Massourski has created a kind of lung vest for her, but his wife is upset and thinks they should have let Nina very and like.
Speaker 2: Iron lung again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you didn't need to do something like that, those very specific ways that you do this. But yeah, the wife sucks like I'm like this is crazy, Like don't just let at least marriage just killing.
Speaker 1: She's like, I don't want to raise this child that I'm out. We go back to the present. The commandos discover where the princess is. She's over in this giant forest that's like inside the walls, getting ready to take her like a daily energizing swim. They commandos sneak over and begin the kind of long process of melting through a wall so they can get to this lake and feel like.
Speaker 3: They should have got some bricks that couldn't be melted. I don't know, just like little guys.
Speaker 1: Another flashback, Nina is now a todd her she's struggling a little more with the with a very heavy vest. And this is where the professor decides, you know what, I'm gonna turn my daughter into it.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'm gonna get her into a fish pot.
Speaker 1: Guys, are there easier things? Are there other things?
Speaker 2: Any just turn her into a fish? He's why did I just turn be real?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be real as much as I was cheering him on earlier, and I do love that he just really wanted to save his door.
Speaker 2: I think the fish. I think he always had this fish planting up his sleeve. I think he was trying to.
Speaker 3: Make a fish girl, and he was like perfect timing time to make a fish babe.
Speaker 1: Completely, you don't just like jump immediately to what if I just make her exactly?
Speaker 2: You would have.
Speaker 1: Tried something more, much more uh normal and within the realms of of regular modern surgical technology. Anyway, Uh it works. She's beginning is breathing underwater. We go to the present, the princess is swimming, she's or going to swim, and Sergey, head of guards, is like, is this a really good idea? Like there's like a super villain team that's here to kill you maybe, and she's like, shut up, I'm doing it. So she goes up and she's about to jump off into the lake just as the commandos come through the wall. They see her preparing to jump in, and Weasel is freaking out because he's like, well that's the nice lady that like played fetch with me for several hours, Like do we really have to do that? We really have to kill her, and so there's this conflict within the team. We go to another flashback. The professor is now bringing Nina to a private school. She's a teenager. Teenage. Nina is brilliant, she speaks for languages, She's like a chess master, She's this and that, Like she's like the dream student.
Speaker 3: But they're obviously like your fish go the teachers, the students.
Speaker 1: The students are to our kid style like they're the absence, which is also funny because she's like really.
Speaker 3: She's like really cool and also like ostessisibly obviously I'm talking about when she's not a teenager, but for like a fish girl, she's also like conventionally attractive.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like there's at least one month the fucker at that school who would have been like.
Speaker 1: Simple, there's gonna be at least one of least monsterfucker who's like, you know.
Speaker 2: What, go banging board for a fish. Let's let's go, let's se what happens.
Speaker 1: She's already moisture not an issue. He's ready to go. Yeah. We go to Belle Reeve, where Flag is like beginning to regain consciousness. Uh. He tells Waller about Clayface impersonating Professor McPherson, who gave them the analysis that sirc Uh wanted to kill the princess because the princess was gonna destroy the world. And he says, well, that was clearly like a mess up because clay Face was impersonating the the professor, the doctor. We go back to hold stand Okay, the bride. They're trying to figure out the creature. Commanders are like, how do we do this? And they're like, wait, water, holy shit, we have fish. Why don't you go over there and swim under the water and just stab her up as she's like swimming and it'll be privata.
Speaker 2: I just got to say, you couldn't, like any like couldn't.
Speaker 3: I don't think doctor Phosphorus is gonna go out if he goes in war, so he could have done it because he doesn't need to breathe. The bride, she's already dead. I don't think she needs to breathe. Yeah, I feel like anyone else could have done Weasel, he could probably swim.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna do it. He likes that. But Nina, she's also not really a kill off. That's like what we've seen.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's kind of the issue. This is like, I don't think she is the tools.
Speaker 2: She doesn't have the emotional chops.
Speaker 1: We go to the are one of our final flashbacks. Things have become so bad at school that Nina's like, I'm out. She writes her dad a note saying I'm leaving the human world. That's it. I can't live like this. Professor Mazerski is distraught, and Nina enters the waters and the wetlands around Star City and lives there for a while. The Princess dives in the water she's going for a swim, and you know, Nina is like, I don't want to do this. The rest of the Commander's talk her into it. They're like, you can do it. You're a killer, You're a monster like us. It's awesome. And then Nina's like, yeah, but wait, hold on the bride. You said that I'm actually like human, like I'm not a monster. She's like, I was fucking lying because I'm a bitch. Like this is great, Like you're gonna be one of us. Last, we go to the final flashback, which is truly horrible. Nina has her existence has been discovered because somebody snapped a photo of her while she was gollum like eating a fish by you know, delicious fish in the in the lakes around Star City, and this gets aired on the news. Dad realizes that that's his daughter. He runs down there just as she's been captured and dragged out of the water, and he wants to go over and talk to her, and he's going he runs up and he's like saying, you know, and then in what is truly one of the worst police shoots fiction ever. This is absolutely one of the most instant fictional police shoots ever. I'm not putting it past any cop to do this, but.
Speaker 2: It's truly like, I don't make any sense.
Speaker 1: This guy goes to jail, he shoots Dad in the back. He's pulling his daughter, yeah, and Nina watches him die, and everybody's just like.
Speaker 3: Oh well, and just like they just throw her in like a war prison that they had ready, and they're just like, is Nina like they just had her because she was just swimming around.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's not really she committed No, you killed by Dad.
Speaker 3: It's not like you know, the rest of people in bellp have usually like you know.
Speaker 6: Blood doctor Foster is he tried to kill Superman with a kryptonide bullet.
Speaker 3: Like, okay, Doctorosphorus done knows the bad Like, uh, Nina just King Shark is been swimming hundreds of people.
Speaker 1: Silly, It's truly insane. Anyway, we go back to the President. Weasel can't do it. Weasel can't be part of this because he's the princesses was so nice. Dam He is freaking out. Doctor Phosphorus tries to strain him, he bites. Doctor Phosphorus dives into the water. Now the guards are alert. Now the Princess is alert, and she spots Nina, and she takes the knife because again, Nina is not a trained assassin, a warrior at all, not even her knife. It's the bride's knife. The Princess takes a knife and stabs the shit out of Nina, whose body floats to the surface. She's dead. At the same time, the Bride, who is like shocked at all of this, uh, gets a call from Waller who's like, hey, my bad, we gotta call it off because clay Face and the whole thing and just put a pin in that and I'm so sorry. Let's pause it. Later at the Palace, the Creature commandos surviving Creature commandos are shaken, except for Weasel, who's like getting pats on the head and belly scratches from the guards because he's got you know, a hero of fucking pacoles Dan. The bride goes to talk to the princess, ye who and the princess is like, don't worry, like, I don't hold it against you. Were just doing your job. I get it, like I was framed by Sirce and that's so crazy. The bride is like, no, actually, I've been working this out in the couple of hours since I sent a wonderful woman to her death unprepared for which was awaiting her. But I've been thinking about it since then, and I realized that hold on, we saw Clay face with you on the security tapes. You sent a spy to spy on us at bel Rev. Like I've figured all this out. I hears all the evidence and basically like it was all true. You're planning to invade the rest so the world, destroy America and kill the Justice League, like I know it, and I'm going to kill you. And I'm not going to kill you because of national security, because it's my job. Because Amanda Walla pays my bills. I'm going to do it to a venge whose death is my fault and she's my pal and all this, and the princess goes for like a hilarious, like ivory handled pirate fucking gun.
Speaker 2: The guys like, don't you have like an emergency button? Shouldn't you just press that?
Speaker 1: There's something You've got all these guards in high tech security armor, and then in your top drawer is like a fucking pistol from seventeen eighty five, like on a pirate sloop. Babe, what is anyway? She goes for the gun and the bride kills her. The bride puts a bullet in her rain. She's dead. The commandos then are making or like, let's get out of here before anybody figures this out. They get accosted by a guy in the lobby who I am like, who is? This Guy's like, hey, can I guys talk to you for a second time. Here's my conspiracy theory. I really truly believe this is like a cameo of David's ass kind of looks like him with a kind of like a New Yorky, New Yorky kind of accent, And why does he again, why is an American here with a with a speaking role? And bock slam this guy? Why does he have a line? He gets choke slammed. And then we go back to Bell Reeve where Waller through John peace Maker John is basically apologizing to the bride, saying, listen, you were black fucked up. Clearly he's not the guy for the job. This you you are the person for the job. We're gonna give you your own team, and you can have this wing of the prison to like run your whole little operation out of. And so the here are your new commandos. The new commandos are are existing and surviving members Doctor Fosterhorson Weasel of course, plus g I robot in a brand new body that Nosferata, Yes, the vampire yeap, callous energy guy.
Speaker 2: He's an energy guy.
Speaker 3: Who's like also a resurrected mummy in the history of right, You're really getting some weird characters.
Speaker 2: Also, the callous version.
Speaker 3: That we get here is probably like from the Frankenstein Agent of Shade stuff which is from twenty eleven, which I think was a big influence on all of James Gunn's stuff. Also, Nosferata funny, she's a Superboy and a nineties Superboy edition. But funny thing I like about her is she was part of another project m Project Moreau, like the Island of Doctor Moreau, who is a guy just making like weird animal creatures and she's like a bat vampire.
Speaker 2: That's cool. I like the deep cut characters.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and finally everybody's favorite carnivorous human esque shark King Shark.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Who is probably the more the most And James Gunn.
Speaker 3: Did confirm that it is the Nanaway from Suicide Squad that we already know.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it is kind of dumb cute.
Speaker 1: How is he back?
Speaker 2: How is he back? What did he do?
Speaker 3: He probably just ate a human, that's my guess, because the rest of them kind of, you know, they they like blackmailed their way out of it at the end of that movie. But yeah, he's back, and I love that. I love that cheeky guy.
Speaker 1: Let's go to a quick break and then we'll come back and let's talk about our thoughts on Creature Comanda. See we're back, Okay, Creature Commando season one. I think it was a very James gun way to start his reign, right, I think you get the you got the whole package here. You got the found fam like freaked found family. You got moments of you know, surprising like emotion, you got that devastating loss. You've got the monsters who are misunderstood. You got a lot of freaky sexual activities.
Speaker 3: And especially there was a lot of like, oh, this is a horny cartoon.
Speaker 1: It really was. I will start it off quite already.
Speaker 3: Like the best of James Gunn's stuff. For me, a lot of this series surprised me and got me excited, Like I loved seeing the kind of I thought the Weasel episode was such a big, kind of great proof of how James Gunn can be really thoughtful and unexpected and and be on the side of the little guy. And just like a lot of his stuff, there were some bits that didn't work for me or that I thought were a little I think that the finale. There's a great critic called Richard Nubi who works for the Hollywood Reporter, who I think is brilliant, and his response to the finale was essentially that he felt like it leaned a bit too much into the.
Speaker 2: Cruelty that guns sometimes goes for. And I would agree with that.
Speaker 3: I think like even there are a couple of moments where like, even the Princess, you know she is evil guy, she was gonna do this terrible thing. Though, Also, are we now in a Minority Report scenario where we're just killing people for.
Speaker 1: Well pre crime?
Speaker 3: Good point, because I feel like that's a whole issue that we're gonna have to deal with in the in the DC universe.
Speaker 1: Now, this show was it zigs and zags because it starts off, as we've said, it seemed like a very simple story, and then it got surprisingly deep, and then as we came down the stretch, it kind of zagged back to where I felt like we need, you know what, we needed like a thirty second scene in which Waller, who has been bamboozled throughout her entire appearance. She's just getting bamboozled multiple appearances into DC, whether it's live action or animated, She's been bamboozled all the time. It's unclear if she is good at her job. Uh, but we needed a scene where she goes, Okay, I know I told you to kill her, but then I called it off, and now you did it with after I told you not to do it. But you know what we figured it out and it's okay, and also like you.
Speaker 2: Were the right like and that proves that you are the right person for this. It was a twenty nine minute episode. I love that they.
Speaker 3: Can do this kind of this short like animated storytelling, but I think the finale we could have had an extra five minutes where Walla's either getting like taken to task or we're just having because it goes from the Bride killing the princess. And then one of my moments I didn't like in this was like there's like a weirdly long like thirty seconds. It feels like like just shot of this like dead woman with like you know, blood coming out her face, and I was like, oh, this is a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they gave you. They gave you. It's in slow mo, so you can.
Speaker 2: They were like they were like, do you hate women? You can? You can love looking at.
Speaker 3: This, Like but then I thought it was gonna set up the Bride and Weasel and Doctor Phosphorus almost like on their own and season two they're gonna have to yeah, like then, but they just go back to Bell Reeve and it's like, yeah, you guys were right, And I'm like guys.
Speaker 1: Similarly, I mean it just felt like, you know, the sons of them, Scara, we never really, we never really tied a knock in that thread, Like there are a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Okay, so do you think the but do you do you think the leftover threads are so that they can do something with it later in the DCU.
Speaker 1: I think probably, But it just felt too dangling to me, And I felt like rather than a post credit scene in which Eric is basically doing the thing that we saw him do a couple episodes's earlier, where he's about to clearly is being nursed back to life by yet another woman, old woman who's taken kindness on him and being generous towards him, and clearly he's going to kill her. Like I thought, we could have maybe just set up some of these threads that were not tied in. I also have one. Here's my one. We've talked about some of our criticisms thus far of the show. Here's mine is while Aer too incompetent, I think like she she's supposed to be like this ruthless, efficient mastermind who is much like Batman always kind of got the angles covered and has secret angles that she doesn't tell her people about as backup plans to various things should things go wrong, and here, much like in Suicide Squad, she just kind of is like not in control, not about stuff. Yeah, and had no idea what was going on for basically the entire mission literally, And I'm not sure, I'm not. I it's not like.
Speaker 2: She doesn't have checks and balances in place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes me feel as if we're not getting the most out of Amanda Waller.
Speaker 3: I agree, especially yet, especially because you know she was right about the original plan and that could have just been it, but we get that in built almost like it's like how Apple builds in obsolescence to your phone, so you have to always get the new one because it's gonna break or become out of date. It's like that had to be built in that. Once again, Walla was not on top of things that she was not the right in the right, that she did not know. So I'm interested to see that, especially because recently in the comics she has been like a top tier kind of villain involved with a lot of really cosmic level shenanigans.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think we're gonna need to.
Speaker 3: See Waller either. Is she gonna be the foil of James Gunn's DCU or are we sort of even clearing the path for a different villain. I do think that James likes obviously John Economus, we have other members of that team, and he kind of likes the underdogs, so maybe that's why. But yeah, I'm I still like this team. I'm interested to see what comes next. I like this potential new iteration of the team. I hate I hate Eric. I'm like, get rid of him, we don't need him. Who. Yeah, I do think I do think that overall, I do think that doctor Phosphorus was my MVP of just like a character I actually want to hang out with and like who I think is funny and spend more time with. Who do you think is the most likely character aside from ones that we know, like from the main Project M team? Is it gonna be the Bride? Dr Fossphorus Nosferata like Carlos. How much do you think those weird characters have a chance of translating to the live action world.
Speaker 1: Well, we've already seen Weasel. I feel like we could see Phosphorus in the Bride.
Speaker 2: That's it does.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's Unit doesn't feel like one hundred percent likely, But I would say in dra Varma, who voiced the bride, did a fantastic job.
Speaker 2: I love her.
Speaker 3: She's so great and you can immediately see her in that role like they designed it to look like she could she could play it.
Speaker 2: I would love to see them bring Doctor Posphorus to life because I think his design is so cool in this show.
Speaker 3: How do you feel going into the summer of Superman the year of Superman?
Speaker 2: Do you do you think this was a good setup?
Speaker 3: Do you think it teed it off?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I think it was. You know how like when you get into a pool or a hot tub, you want to kind of dip a toe and get acclimated. To me, this felt like Jay Gun getting acclimated, like doing something in his wheelhouse to kind of set the tone and get comfortable creating something in this world, start populating it with weirdos who could come in and out, And I think that's gonna be one of the hallmarks of his run is You're gonna this is gonna be a fully fleshed out DC world in which all these freaks exist and you're going to see them in the background of things coming in and out of different scenes, being a part of different stories. So I think it was a good I think it was a good start, and I'm left feeling like I am tremendously excited for Superman. I think I'm almost convinced that it's going to be a massively huge movie and a success. That said, I'm also left feeling like, gosh, there's a lot. There's a lot riding on. Yeah, there's a lot of riding.
Speaker 3: And I think what I love the most about this if i'm if I'm looking at it from like always like X three vision optimism that we try and channel. I love that in dipping the toe and trying to acclimate himself to this kind of gods and monster's slate, this scope of this huge world.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do like the fact.
Speaker 3: That James Gunn just did the most James Gunn thing ever and was like, Hey, I'm still doing this. He was like, I'm still gonna do this, and then I'm gonna try and do a Superman that's gonna break your heart.
Speaker 2: And then I'm gonna let James Mangold do a swamp thing that's going to terrify you. So I think you made a great point.
Speaker 3: I think this actually just adds to the law of the world, which we saw from the Superman trailer is going to be expansive and filled with all kinds of superheroic characters, and I think it's interesting and I personally Doctor Phosphorus the Bride. I would love to see them. And also the thing that I did like that I was unexpected.
Speaker 2: For me.
Speaker 3: I am the Suicide Squad's biggest supporter. I love that movie. I think it's the most radical thing James Gunn has done, you know, purpose or otherwise. I don't know if it was intentional or just because his influences were from like great seventies war movies, conspiracy movies. I love that film, and for me, it was a really nice surprise to know that so much of what occurred and the characters in there were cannon to this new world.
Speaker 2: And I do hope that we get Idrice.
Speaker 3: Elber back because I think that was a deeply underrated performance and I would love to see him in this kind of superhero filled world as that you know, Superman Assassin with his Kryptonite bullet.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think I'm excited for it.
Speaker 3: It wasn't don't I don't think the finale was as good as the best of the season.
Speaker 2: But I also think it was.
Speaker 3: A finale that was very in line with the rest of the show and James Gunns vibes, and it set up this new team, this new project for the season two that I believe has been already greenlit. And yeah, and that only leaves the most important question of all that Aaron Kaufman are super bridgy popped in here. Where does Nina place on the list of hottest fish people in Hollywood?
Speaker 1: Oh? Wow, I think she's pretty high up.
Speaker 2: They really went.
Speaker 1: I think she's up there. I think she's up there in the top three, along with Shape of Water fish. Where does George George Binks along with Jorjar Binks?
Speaker 2: Jason said, I am a Jarja binks lover. He said, that is a sexy man.
Speaker 1: He's a fit Man's up there.
Speaker 3: They definitely they took it to the next level because obviously you have someone like an ape Sapien, a creature from the Black Lago in Shape of Water obviously.
Speaker 2: I would say Shape of War ape Sapien.
Speaker 3: They are meant to be, you know, sexual, both male as much as we know. But Nina is like they gave her that nineties comic book Body all Right, and they they were like, do you want to have sex with creeks from the Black Lagoon?
Speaker 2: But you like boobs ay, so I'd say yeah, I would say, she's not that.
Speaker 3: But now I'm gonna have to do we need to do a whole spinoff episode about your jaw Joppinks opinions because I need to know more.
Speaker 1: Well. In the next few episodes of Extra Vision, we're giving some comic book rerecs for James Gunn's upcoming Superman movie, Get You Prepared for That and some of his lesser known characters and the Smash Hit. And we're going to be covering some of the lesser known characters from the Smash Hit video game, Marvel rivals Jeff Fans, Cloak and Dagger Fans, et cetera. Plus our Skeleton Crew finale reactions are coming this Friday. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening by.
Speaker 2: X Ray.
Speaker 1: Vision is hosted by Jason Gitsupsun and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Hoffmann. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Laude, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator