Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 1: And when I find my.
Speaker 3: Ball in a bride egg Frida egg, the dreaded Frida egg Frida egg, Frida egg egg Frida egg, bride egg.
Speaker 2: Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Friday Egg Golf Podcast. I'm Garrett Morrison, and today we're talking about where Live Golf stands at the end of its twenty twenty three season. The Saudi Funded Golf League's Team Championship in Miami is coming up this week, so I figured it would be a good time to take stock and see what's going on in Live Golf. My guest is Adam Woodard. He's a reporter for Golf Week who covers Live on a regular basis. He and I will talk about a variety of storylines that defined this year for Live including its recent rejection by the Official World Golf Ranking, which is currently playing out as a controversy. We're also going to talk about liv's supposed agreement with the PGA Tour where that stands, as well as the league's declining status in the news cycle. I think it's fair to say that we haven't heard as much from Livegolf this year. Before we get to Adam, though, I wanted to put in a quick word for fridayg Golf's membership. It's called Club TFE and you get a number of things with it, including in depth golf course write ups and videos and other content. You can find out about everything that comes with the membership at the Frida Egg dot com slash membership. But one specific thing we did for members recently was give them a sneak peek at our twenty twenty four Friday Golf Events calendar. We've got a bunch of cool golf courses lined up for our twenty twenty four events. Some of these events are exclusive to Club TFE members and for others, members will have early access for registration. That is a major perk of being part of CLUBTFE. So again, sign up at the Friday dot com slash membership and we hope to see you in the club. All right, here is Adam Woodard on Livegolf's twenty twenty three season. All right, Adam Woodard, why don't we start with the latest news out of livegolf World, and that is that the tour's application for official World Golf Ranking points has been denied. Maybe not a big surprise, but can you take me through this story and why it's important for Live and its players.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of actually surprised that it wasn't accepted, given how long it took. I mean, it's the whole discussion was what usually takes a year. It could be up upwards of a year long process for a lot of people. I think when that one Asian tour got Funder got points, it was almost eighteen months, and that was right in the middle of Live's application last year in July. So I thought the longer that it went on, it was kind of going to be like, oh, they might actually they're working out a way to give them points, whether it's based on only a select few, it's based on the tournament. You know, it's obviously going to be tiered. You know that they won't get the same amount of points that a PGA Tour, a DP World Tour event would get. But I thought they might actually get them. But at the same time, I'm not surprised that they didn't. The one thing I am kind of shocked about was was Liv's response to not getting points. I thought the one thing that really stood out from that very lengthy statement that they put out was they didn't once address the main issue that the OWGR brought up, which is the fact that they couldn't get around the fact that it's a closed door circuit, which is ninety five percent true and the five percent that it's not true is Live does plan to have that promotion relegation for next season, but it's only three players that can get in, and players who are relegated can still play their way in, so like it's not like in you know, in English football. We know a lot about English soccer. Excuse me that we know a lot of you know, promotion relegation. Once you're relegated, like you're in the bottom tier, like you're done for the next year, you can.
Speaker 1: Work your way back up. Yeah, yeah, you've got to, like a spend a year in the lower league exactly. You're not going to spend a year on the Asian Tour. You can spend stenson or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you spend two months without a job for next year, but then you can still play your way into through one of those spots that they do give for the Asian Tour, the Order of Mayor the International Series, that Order of Merit. You know, that's how Andy oagle Tree is going to get a spot for next year. He's basically already locked in for that. So they have three spots up for grabs. So it's not a fully closed circuit, but for the most part it is. But I just thought it was crazy that they released that huge, long, lengthy statement, like Tiger Woods esque level of saying a whole lot with will saying nothing at all, and the fact that they didn't address the one concern that the OWGR brought up I thought was kind of of kind of interesting and telling in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a little bit odd. Why don't we do basics for a second here? What were the stakes of this decision by the ow GR for live What would it have meant for them to get World Ranking points? And what doesn't mean that they are apparently not going to get them?
Speaker 2: Well what it What it would have meant had they gotten points was easier access into majors. As we all know, you know, the o wgr's main position is yes, ranked players, but it also goes through to get players into majors. Now the stakes now, now that they're not going to be getting points is well, are the majors going to have to think up some sort of you know, exemption criteria for live players. Do you take the top five, the top ten, the top whatever from their points list and give them exemptions into majors?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Who knows. I think that's going to be the easiest way to do what each major can have already has their own credit is already has their own criteria for giving exemptions in spots. So I think every major is probably going to have a different take on Live going forward, if they have any at all, or if the status quo remains the same. If you've seen Phil Michelson on Twitter this morning, he's going off and doing his thing, replying to people and giving his opinions. But I think the biggest issue now is going to be, well, you know, Live is saying that the OWGR isn't a credible world ranking system anymore, And in some ways you could there is some merit to that if they're not going to be ranking those live players. But at the same time, Live has been open to changing its format. They don't Live officials will say this all the time if you ask how it's going and you know, what's the talking point for him? They say, well, you know, we're building the plane while it's already in the air. So and that's what they've been doing for the last eighteen months when they started, when film made those scary mphors quote. You know, they've been adapting, they've been changing quickly. And that's been something they've been able to do, is they can make changes if they see fit and if they need to. Is Live going to be able to put their pride aside and change up some things to open up the doors a little bit? I don't think that's going to happen in the short term. A lot of their players still have a year or two left on contracts, so that'd be kind of difficult to do to open up more positions for players. But it's it's that at this point, it's looking like if Live doesn't change their format, they're not getting points. It seems to be as simple cut and dry as that. But we'll see what happens over the next you know, three or four months or so. With the framework agreement. Maybe that changes something if this deal does get pushed through, But it's it's all up in the air right now. With even more so. But the ramifications for them not getting points is going to be pretty big going forward.
Speaker 1: I should clarify that we are recording this on Thursday, October twelfth. It's going to come out next week. I should always make that note when we're discussing Live because these are dynamic situations. But yes, as you mentioned this morning, Phil Mickelson took to Twitter as he does, and he loves it. He can't he can't get enough. He and stop himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so he's he's going at Trevor Immlman, Kyle Porter like everybody can get it, Like step up if you Phil is. Phil is ready to go this morning, and he's ready to go this week.
Speaker 1: He's taken on the world. So his basic argument, as as far as I can tell, is that the majors are protecting themselves. And this would seem to be an odd argument because the main entity that gets protected by Live not receiving World ranking points would surely be the PGA Tour because if Live doesn't have world ranking points, a lot of currently informed great players are not going to go there because they don't want to risk missing the majors. But Phil is taking this a step further and saying that the majors are protecting themselves because after all, it was the governing bodies and the majors that made this decision essentially, and so his basic argument is a little bit convoluted to my ear. But what he's saying is that if there were a world in which Live had world ranking points and all of the best players in the world decide to play for Live, then all of a sudden, Live would have more bargaining power with the majors, and that would ultimately hurt the majors because they would have to end up, I guess, giving up more money to the players because Live is more player focused as far as Phil is concerned, and so the majors don't want that. According to Phil, that's his argument. Is this what people in Live world are starting to think about the owgr issue, that it's not just j Monahan and the PGA too are pulling the strings with it, that all of the majors are sort of ganging up against Live and trying to make sure that it's not successful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've been Lived, folks, and people tied in with Live have been playing the victim cards since they tried to team up with the menotaur in the middle of the night, thinking that would automatically get them points.
Speaker 1: And that's such a strange little story, and it's always one gambit that Live used to try to get World Ranking points, one of the manyiate itself with essentially a dead tour that did happen to have OWGR status.
Speaker 2: Just thinking that just because if you say, oh, we're aligned with them now, that's going to get us in like that that I still can't believe, like reporting on that story and calling people figuring that out. It's one of the most it's one of the what more wild moves that LIVE has made over the last few last few years. But it also shows they're willing to try anything to get points. So going back to what we said earlier, that means they might be willing to open up their criteria and change things up because they are willing to do whatever it takes to be successful and to get that seat at the table. They've shown that now they want to do everything other than comply with the OWGR, which they have also shown. But I just think it's crazy how you know, they're just willing to say, hey, you know what, we're gonna try this and it's just trying to speak it into existence. And then the massive issue that the OWGR has with them, they just don't even address it, don't even talk about it. It's just if it blows my mind that they're not even willing to entertain that publicly, but no live officials that they wanted play the victim card. They were saying this. In Mexico, we had one of those like behind closed doors meetings with the select group of the media to talk about their their pathways to live in their promotion relegation system, and even then stuff was talked about how they were they were weren't getting the kind of response from the OWGR that they thought that they deserved, and at that point they had already put their application in and didn't make any changes to their system. So I don't really know what they were looking for other than they knew what was what was expected of them and what the OWGR wanted, and they just expected them to bend over and do what they do what they say, and that's just not going to happen. It's's there's too many different entities at play, and I think it's really important to point out what you said a lot of what Live officials were upset with early on throughout this process was the fact that you know, Jay Monahan Keith Pelly got from the PGA Tour and the dp World Tour were on the board and they thought that that was a massive conflict of interest, which in a way, yeah, kind of was, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they recused themselves.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and then it was the majors that did it. So now they're directing fire at the majors and it's it's it's the same thing all over again, but instead of you know, Monahan and Pelly in the Crossairers, that's going to be the Green Jackets at Augusta National, the folks at the RNA, and the PJ of America.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this Live versus the Major's stance that now seems to be getting adopted by the likes of Phil Mickelson is a little bit odd to me because one thing that the majors can do to render all of this irrelevant is just to provide an acceptable number of spots in their tournament to the top whatever number of players on the Live points list, and that would essentially circumvent the owgr's power to determine which players get to play in the majors. Now, I should be more specific about this because I believe that the PGA Championship does not currently use OWGR. Crisis here, right, Yeah, the Masters does, and the US Open does. I often get this wrong, so to the listeners, I apologize. I'm a golf architecture reporter. Yeah, but in any case, I think that's the case. And so there are complexities with each major that need to be considered. But if the PGA Championship, the US Open, and the Masters and the Open Championship all decided, we're gonna, you know, say that the top ten or twelve on the Live points list, you all can be in the major. Suddenly the OWGR stuff is kind of irrelevant, right, because that's all this really boils down to, is access to the majors.
Speaker 2: I agree, yeah, And I think the one thing that I also find interesting is the fact that they want to play the victim card, but also two of those majors you can go play your way into, like their opens. Like if you want to play the Open, you want to play the US Open, go qualify, Like you knew that this was going to be a potential, you know, risk when you went to Live that was well, known, and anybody who says it wasn't well known as lying or naive or an unpleasant mix of the two. But like Taylor Goochs last year getting all upset about not getting in, like then go qualify, and then he played the victim woe is me card they don't want me there. If they don't want me there, I'm not going to go. Well, then then stop complaining and and pipe down and go play on Live and go go make your tens of millions of dollars like he's made this year, and he's played well this year on Live. I'll give it to him not to pop Taylor too much, even though he's a very easy target for some of the stuff that he says sometimes. But it's just that just that look at us woe is us thing that it just it drives me nuts when there are there are ways around this and this can be avoided. But to your point, though, I think, like I said earlier, and like you just said, it's going to come down to the majors giving exemptions. But I have no idea like what what number would be would work? And what number is the proper ways at five? Is it ten? Like I have no idea what that it would even look like or what would even need to go into creating that kind of exemption criteria, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't know if anyone would even be happy with the number, yeah, that they'll always would come up with, you know, number of thirteen on the list. If it's twelve, would be like, well what about me? You know, So so it would all kind of be messy. But I suppose major exemptions kind of always are.
Speaker 2: There's always somebody on the outside looking in. Yeah, right.
Speaker 1: That is the source of the owgr's power right now. That's why everybody is arguing about it. That's really what it comes down to, because otherwise it's just a ranking that I don't know, some players kind of care about getting world number one and invest in that, but I feel like that feeling maybe has gone away over the past couple of years. And that really what it comes down to is access to the majors, and that is why the OWGR is currently powerful. But you know, the OWGR has criteria.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and which which they said can be flexible to be fair, they said they can be flexible with some of the areas which they said in the you know, Dawson said to the said to Doug Ferguson with the AP and his and his initial story that broke that news, like they're willing to be silence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah they are. You know, criterias maybe a misleading. They're not requirements, they're not rules. They're guidelines that the OWGR board uses to determine whether a certain tour qualifies. And a lot of tours have have qualified that haven't necessarily had the had that you know, most consistently competitive or traditional types of events, and so to an extent, you can understand why some Live folks are are unhappy with this decision. But now that we all are aware of what the owgr's key criteria are in a way that we definitely weren't a few years ago. I mean, I know so much more about what the OWGR asks of a golf league now than than than I was, you know, a couple of years ago. But Live can make some changes, presumably to reverse this decision next year. I don't know if they're inclined to do that, whether there's any chance that they're going to do that, But what changes would need to make? What are the key things here? Would it be this kind of promotion and relegation, you know, open access to the league and a possibility of being demoted from the league. Is that the main issue or are there other things that Live would need to alter in order to become acceptable to the AUWGR.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking into this more now because now this has really peaked my interest over the last few days with all of this happening and really digging into what, you know, what the OWGR wants from a Live But if you just look at the AP story, the main reason was the fact that it was a closed system and that they don't have an open door policy for other players to play their way in. If you can only allow three new players at most or four new players at most in and it's it just doesn't It doesn't seem like that's going to be the way to go, and they're going to need to open that up to even more people. And the fact that like if you're a captain and you are in the relegation zone, you're automatically in Like the way that Live sees contracts, they see them as exemptions basically, so if however many years Phil has left on his deal, he could come DFL in every event for an entire year, and as long as he still has a contract for that next year as a captain, he's in. Like, there are two guys currently I think it's Martin Kimer and Lee westwood. Lee west would one of three captains for the Majestics, I might add, So they have three guys that are locked in no matter how bad they play.
Speaker 1: It's like a yeah, it's if you have.
Speaker 2: If you have three captains, do you even have one?
Speaker 1: I don't know, definitely not. It's got to be a financial thing of some sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The question and the fact that it's it's it's Lee west Wooden and Martin Kimer. Who to Martin Kimer's you know, defense, He's been hurt for most of the year, so he's obviously going to be towards the bottom. But they're in that drop zone area, those last four spots. But because they have contracts for next year and their captains they're in, they don't get to there. They're not getting dropped. So I think that's another thing that you can't have. You can't call it promotion relegation if you have built in you know, I don't know, I don't know what the word is, but built in production. Thank you, yeah, to to keep players. And the one thing I also think is just is just so funny is the fact that for that promotion relegation event, I think it's like the top two hundred or two fifty maybe from the OWGR are allowed to go to that promotion relegation in that promotion tournament that they're going to have next year. So it's like on one side live saying, oh, these guys, you know that the OWGR, like, let's condemn it. It's not credible anymore. And then at the same time they're using it to fill their promotion fields. Like it's just I just find that so funny. The fact that it's just like talking.
Speaker 1: To they're not going to use the SI World Golf rankings.
Speaker 2: That come come, use the Golf League, Sacharine rankings ahead the head, you know, to go to Data Golf. Yeah, it's something in it. Yeah, there are there are other options out there, you know.
Speaker 1: It's so funny actually, because there are a number of alternate rating rankings that have popped up in the past couple of years now. I don't even want to name them, but they're on Twitter and they're trying to get attention for themselves. And Sports Illustrated of course, came up with its own ranking that was, you know, endorsed by lab Golf Cutters, which connected with Bryson to Shambau, et cetera. And so yeah, look into that story yourself. But there are these other rankings, but every time I see one of them mentioned, I see a somebody from Golf Week, you know, will pop in and be like, what about the Sagarine rankings. We've been around for a while. Why is nobody paying any attention to the Sagarine rankings? And it's true that Golf Week has been doing this for a while. Golf has a pretty good broad ranking, so there are resources available, but the OWGR is really still the authoritative one, even even for people on Live. So that is anyway, Okay, I think we've talked enough about the rankings issue, but that is gonna that's the that's the main news right now, and it's going to continue to be discussed for sure, and it will affect potentially the way that Live shapes itself over the next few years because this is obviously very important for the recruiting of players to have some kind of pathway to the major all right, So.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, you're the only incentive new players would have to go is the money. At this point, there's nothing else that's there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, right, yeah, and and and players who are in their prime, yeah, are going to want to play in the majors. And that's that's kind of one of the amazing things that we've learned through this whole Live ordeal that the majors still have real power that goes beyond money. The players who are in their prime want to play those events because they know that's where their legacy is formed. And that's something although the majors offer incredible amounts of money, it's it's really not about that. So that's that's at least one thing that we have learned that that isn't totally sole killing over the past couple Yeah. Yeah, all right. So the other huge Live related story this year is that Live in the PGA Tour have established a framework agreement.
Speaker 2: The Public Investment Fund in the PGA Tour. And it's not a merger. It's not a merger. My bad, My bad, My bad, just because there we're going to come for you on that one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I know, I know, looking on Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia. It's Live has nothing to do with it, right, nothing to do with as if Live isn't a subset of the public.
Speaker 2: As if as if the chairman of Live isn't gonna be Yeah, isn't going to be the new chairman of the board for this new entity. Yeah, but they're not connected at all.
Speaker 1: It's all it's all yasirs all the way down. So uh yes, I'll remind it who we're referring to. Hear, all right, So, the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia and the PGA Tour have established a framework agreement. They dropped the litigation against each other that was ongoing, and have essentially agreed to work together in the future. Can you give me and our listeners an idiot's guide to what this agreement basically contained.
Speaker 2: The one big thing that you mentioned was the dropping of the lawsuits. I think that was honestly the biggest thing to move for them. If they were ever going to move forward, they had to stop the lawsuits first, and if they were ever going to have any.
Speaker 1: The only it's the only thing that's rest Maybe.
Speaker 2: We'll see what happens. Yeah, well, we'll see where it comes from. There but no, it's the dropping of the lawsuits was definitely the biggest thing to come from it. It's well, it's frankly the only thing that's come from it at this point outside from some very funny Senate hearings. Uh, it's it's it's confusing to wrap your head around because I know you and I were talking offline yesterday. It's like, one day I think it's going to go through the next day I don't. But basically, the short answer version is they drop the lawsuits, and that the the PIFF and the PGA Tour and the dp World Tour, we're going to combine their assets to make a for profit golf entity called a new cod I think the new code there was, PGA Tour, whatever they were thinking about calling it. There's going to create a for profit entity that they're going to be able to make money off of and to bring their their products together. It's gonna inject a whole bunch of life and money into the PGA Tour while also giving PIFF the ability to to break their way officially into golf and to have even a bigger seat at the table than they already do. They have until the end of the year to push this through. From people that I'm talking to it, some are very adamant that it's going to happen, and some are starting to, well, maybe not, And I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I think, like everything that's happened over the last eighteen months, it's going to go to the eleventh hour. It's gonna come end of December before we get any sort of movement on this. I think there's just so much at stake for the future of professional golf as we know it, for the future of the PGA Tour, potentially the future of the LPGA, if there is any sort of movement on that front, which there have been rumors and talks at twenty twenty five or twenty twenty six that PIFF and Live might want to start getting involved with the women's game. At some point, that's all conjectured. That's all just rumors and hearsay of people talking about what may happen. That's not me reporting anything, Let's get that clear. But there's just so much money at stake here, and there is so much on the line that I'd be shocked if it doesn't go through because both sides have way too much to lose if it doesn't go through, I think, and what I don't even know what twenty twenty four would look like if this doesn't go through.
Speaker 1: At this point, you think there's a kind of deadline here, right for sure, that this has to be something has to be done before the seasons start up again. Okay, very interesting. I mean, we're getting reports right now. Bob Harrig of SI I believe recently reported that there could be a delay in making this agreement official, which is not surprising, but it does, you know, I mean that there if there's no action by the time the seasons start up again, then then what good is the framework agreement at all? I suppose. So, so there is a little bit of time pressure here on these two sides. So all right, so it's a looking at this deal from the piffs perspective or from Liv's perspective. Why do you think they thought it was a good idea?
Speaker 2: I think, well won the lawsuits for on on both sides to the aisle there like some some bad stuff was going to come out on both sides. You have a feeling where, you know, with the things that Live was doing with you know, some of their some of their actions at getting players to go and some of the some of the things they've done, and then obviously with the PGA Tour and trying to keep players, I'm as I'm I'm only assuming that there was some some less than stellar things happening behind the scenes when it comes to to vendors and wanting to keep players and all that. It's just it didn't seem like it was all above board, and it's I think it's gonna save face for a lot of both of the operations, except for you know, the PJ Tour now goes back on their word of saying, you know, we're not going to have to do this. You know you've never when Jay said you never had to apologize for playing on the PGA Tour, all that goes all that good will goes out the window with that. But with Live and I think with with Yaser in particular, it just adds even more legitimacy. If you're if you're with A, if you're connected to the PG Tour and the DP World Tour, there's still seen as outsiders. They're still seen as this upstart, renegade circuit that's out there where. If you finally have this coming together and you can invest in, and you can invest with the PGA Tour and work alongside the PGA Tour, like we talked about earlier, that probably opens up the door to getting more access to majors. That it's all interconnected. All of these golf organizations are all intertwined and interconnected, and they all feed off of each other. So for for Live to get an even bigger seat at the table for that, it just made too much sense for them to try and make this move and come together. And frankly, just speaking on a completely like thirty thousand feet view, like a divided game isn't good for anybody. Sure, it drives up competition and stuff, but for the fans, for the people that really matter, you know, a divided divided tours, divided circuits don't do anything. So if this can open up the door to get these players back, to get some of the best players back in majors, to get to reduce some of the divisiveness, I get it. I completely understand it. I didn't think it would happen as quickly as it did, with only a year and a half in to live with they make that decision was at June sixth I think was the was the day that the MSNBC interview and all that happened. But there's just right to me, there's too much on the line. There's too much to lose for this not to go through, I think, and it's especially on the PGA Tour side, now that you know they're they were hurting for money with the with some of the decisions that they made, and the court cost fees were we're going to be a problem coming up here in the future. But it's there's just so much that both sides can gain from this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it seemed like you know, one thing, one advantage that the PIFF had was money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt the.
Speaker 1: PGA Tour was getting hurt by the costs of litigation. The PIFF really wasn't. But it seems like there are a couple of things that were hurting or could hurt both sides, one of which you mentioned discovery, but also you know, Lives Golf League hasn't skyrocketed. No, it hasn't. It hasn't really taken off. I mean, it just seems like a if it had taken off more, then there would have been no need to partner or to intend to partner with the PGA Tour.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of that stem from the players that they brought in for a year or two. None of them really moved the needle. They didn't get a sort of Dustin Johnson. They didn't get a Bryson. They didn't get a Patrick Red, you know, they didn't get a Cam Smith. They got a Charles Howell the third. You know, they got a few other people like that. They didn't get the big name talent that I think they thought they were going to get in the second go around. And I think that's affected there. They're product though, it's they still have a product that works and that stands on it's that stands separate on its own. Whether you like it or not. There's a market for it. That's that's been true since you and I met each other at the first event in Portland last year. It's been there's a market for it. Just depends on what you want out of professional golf. And like you said, the interest just isn't hasn't been there around the golf this year like they thought it would come. Sunday at events. Sure, when the team event gets close and it gets tight at the end, it's like any sporting competition, you know, you can you can sleep through the first you know, through the first couple of quarters for a lot of things. But then once it gets tight at the end, that's when it gets interesting. And you can see the fans do feed off of the team energy and these guys really do care about the team aspect. At first, I thought that was all just kind of bs with the whole goal. We feel like we're back in college golf. Like I genuinely believe that's real. Like these guys are having fun together now and now that they've got the team stuff worked out, like you can genuinely tell they love playing for each other. They love this this new aspect, this different take on golf. I thought it was going to be complete nonsense and that there was all just you know, a company line to to explain the move and taking the money. But the team aspect is real, I'll say that. But it just still, like you said, just hasn't quite caught on the way that they thought it would. But like I said, it's it's still two years in. They gets still very very early and lives in lives defense, they are still very early on in this and granted they had unlimited money to get this thing off the ground. But the fact that they were able to host an event as successfully as they did, host eight events in a half a year as successfully as they did it was impressive.
Speaker 1: And TV is a big part of this. I want to talk about that a little bit later. First, just a if you clean up things on the framework agreement issue. I've been having a hard time personally envisioning what a post official agreement Live PGA Tour landscape would look like. What would be different about the PGA Tour? What would be different about Live? If these two entities were to unite through this nonprofit organization, would Live end? Would it have a reason to continue to exist? Would the PGA Tour be significantly different? I mean, have you thought this through, like what this world would be like?
Speaker 2: I have. I can't quite game plan what it looked like for the PGA Tour outside of them having more money to throw around and being able to increase per sizes a little bit and be able to maybe up there up the production for some of what they're doing for Live. I don't see anything changing in twenty twenty four if this deal does go through. They've got a schedule pretty much locked in at this point, aside from a few tweaks and changes. Can't quite get that confirm, but I've got it on pretty good authority that they're there for twenty twenty four and basically set to go for twenty twenty five. They're already looking ahead from talking to Live officials, they're already planning out courses for the future for I know some of their contracts were up with a few of the courses that they've posted events at the last two years, but they're already looking at properties for twenty twenty five. They've got places that are interested. I think Live would expand and be the worldwide tour that it wants to be. I think we'll see more worldwide events and less US events going forward. I think those will be the majority. It'll probably be a good four or five still here in the States, but I think you'd see eight or nine potentially across the world, and they want to branch out. This is what Greg Norman's wanted since he tried to do the World Tour in ninety four, and this is what Yaser loves too. Like he loves Team Golf, he loves this Live concept. And if he's gonna be the new chairman and the head of the board for this new co. Live's not going anywhere. It's his baby. He will fight tooth and nail to keep it and to and to keep it going. And I think now that we're starting to see Live teams, you know, bring in sponsors and get apparel deals and stuff, they're showing that they can be like, they can be profitable. And that's another profitable wing for the public investment Fund. So sure, they're still way far in the red given how much they've paid to get this thing off the ground, the billions of dollars that they've thrown at this, but they Live is showing that in ways it can be profitable. And with they got the seed, they got the cw TV deal that's not going to be a long term thing. That was a hey, we're going to do this to show other you know, broadcast partners that we can do this. So I think this means more for Live going forward than it does for the tour. I haven't quite gotten to figure out what it would look like, but I would be shocked if Live goes away, and maybe in the long term, if it doesn't stem out and if the team concept doesn't quite catch on like they think, But in the short term, I think it's going to be a lot of trial and error. Let's see what happens and we'll learn from it and move on, kind of like how Live has been the last two years.
Speaker 1: I think the thing that puzzles me about this potential for these two tours to work together. And I don't expect you to know these details or for anybody to know how this would work, but would Live players then get to play in PGA Tour events fairly freely? What would it mean for a PGA Tour player like Xanderschoffle or Patrick Cantley to say I'm going to Live. Yeah, obviously the PGA Tour wouldn't want that. But if the PIFF and the PGA Tour are working together, then are they rival leagues anymore? And will the PGA Tour have anything to say to a player who is departing for Live, because right now it makes sense that these are rival leagues. You don't want a player to leave the PGA Tour and go to Live, and once a player makes that decision, it is kind of definite. But what does that all look like if there's this nonprofit entity that the PGA two who were in the pit for collaborating on.
Speaker 2: I think, going to what you said earlier, I think one of the biggest misconceptions about players who went to Live is that they all want to come back to the PGA Tour. Most of them don't. Talking to a lot of the people that I've spoken with and talked to, they are very happy with their format. I know cam Smith said it yesterday in the JEDA press conference. He likes the fact that they're at fourteen events. He plays the four majors, that gets him to eighteen. He goes and plays some in Australia, he plays his twenty like he would have on the PGA Tour. He likes the schedule. They like the break. They like how it's not as grueling of a week in and week out schedule with when it comes to media availability, when it comes to you know, the multiple practice rounds in the pro am that you have to, you know, put the big smile and face on for everybody. They only have to play three rounds. It's just completely different. A lot of the guys like that. Talking to Fill and some guys in Bedminster, they were Sergio, all those guys very happy with their life. Now those are a lot of the older guys, So maybe some of the younger guy might want to go back. And you know, sure guys did say there are events on the PGA Tour that you know, we're we're close to our heart, whether we won there, or we liked the course, or we had some sort of sponsor connection there. They still have those relationships and those good relationships with a lot of those people. But I don't think as many guys would want to go back and play in PGA Tour events, And they wouldn't play in as many as as some outsiders and some of us might think. I genuinely think that they like the life that they have on live and honestly, for them, what's not to what's not to like? Everything is catered towards them. They're making so much money no matter how poorly you might play. It's it's it's a it's a really good life for these guys. It really is. If they can, if they can deal with the with the criticism that comes from from joining up with it's, it's it's paid off for a lot of the guys. So I think you it would open the door certainly for for players to come in until lives credit from the start, they have always said that we don't want to be we want to be additive to the professional golf calendar, right, we don't want then they's when they hosted events, they're not going up against the heritage designated events, whatever you want to call them. They've avoided a lot of those, They've avoided the majors. They've built their schedule around a lot of that. And I think that was a show of good faith to the folks at the PGA Tour and dp World Tour and the fact that they weren't trying to put events opposite Bayhill or opposite of the players or you know, Tiger's genesis. I think that's a feather in their cap.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Flip side of that is, well, of course, no one's going to watch the live events when those events are going on, you know' that's you got to meet in the middle there some way. But I think that that is a sign of good faith from Live and the fact that they did say that they want to be additive and they weren't going to overly challenge a lot of the PGA Tour's biggest events.
Speaker 1: I'm still puzzled about this issue of players on the PGA Tour leaving for Live in a post agreement world. Yeah, and you know, I get that once players are on Live that they might not have any desire to play PGA Tour events. I think that's really true. Now. Yes, Live has avoided key dates on the PGA Tour calendar. But if Patrick can't Lay after an agreement is established, says I want to play on the Live tour, He's not going to have time to play many PGA Tour events even if the Live schedule is arranged around it. And so do you think there's going to be any do you think there would be any collaboration there between the tours to make it so a Patrick can't Lay can play a significant number of events on Live, but also devote some time to the PGA Tour. Would that be the direction that you think they would go in?
Speaker 2: They would That would have to be it, because then Live would also have to change up their format to be able to have substitutes play in if you weren't going to have the same guys play in every week, So that would make Live would have to change their format. I think, if anything, it would be a dry run for a lot of the guys to go. And to be fair, you saying can't lay and shawfle At those are two guys that have long been rumored. You're not just you're not just spouting off because of what happened.
Speaker 1: No, No, that's not going to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well if you if you've seen the quotes from ship nuxt book about you know, and all the stuff about they wouldn't want Rory you know, to be over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we don't. You're not interested in me. I'm not interested in exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. So it's it's it's also open the air, like it's a lot of this is speculation. I wish I had more answers. I wish I could there was a way to game plan this out and show it. But I it was funny. I did a I did another another show with some people a couple of weeks ago, and Harold Barnert the third was on with us and you know, the host asked him, hey, so what can you tell us? He goes, I know as much as you guys do, if not less, because I'm not actually reading up and into it. They'll you'll, they'll tell me what they tell me and we'll go from there. A lot of the guys are just kind of flying, you know, flying along with it and just saying, hey, we'll react to whatever happens. We like our life now, we'll go for it. But I mean, it would it would take a massive change in in PGA Tour and the DP World Tour and Live for them to be able to have players play at the same time on both circuits. I think it would be I mean, if they can't even figure out how to get this framework agreement together, I don't know how they're all three gonna be able to get in a room and figure out a way to do that. Like, that's gonna take time, and it's gonna take a lot of time and a lot there's a lot of egos at play. There's gonna be a lot of you know, alphas in that room talking about it. The PGA Tour seems like throughout this whole process that they seem to think that they're gonna be the big dog when all of this is happening, even though y'all you're sure they're going to control the board for this new co, but the man controlling the money, Yaser aka mister Andrew Waterman. You know, they're at the he's at the top, he's the money man. Like I think the money's gonna make the decisions and you got to follow the money and see where it goes. And it's yeah, I wish I had more information for you, but it's just it's all speculative at this point and trying to game plan it out. But if if the framework agreement does go through, I don't think we'll see as many chain in twenty twenty four. I think twenty twenty five they'll they'll they'll give it a year to figure it out, and then that'll be the that'll be the real test year to see what happens, because it's just it would be way too fast of a turnaround to be able to get anything done in twenty twenty four, and like, these organizations just can't move at that pace. At least the PGA Tour and dp Rule Tour can't. They're too big. Like Lives, to their credit, they're small enough that they were able to pivot and move and be able to change, you know, at the at the drop of a hat. But I think Andy said this once, like they're you know, the PGA to ur the dp ROLE Tour. They're like tanker ships, you know, they can't just it takes a while for them to turn. They can't maneuver the way that Live can because they're just they're too big at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we've seen this with the designated events thing where the PGA Tour basically like, I can try to make a quick change, but they're really not going to and maybe ultimately they're just going to revert to their former way of doing things because that's just easier. But yeah, I mean, suffice it. I don't expect you or anybody to have answers about what exactly a cooperative relationship between Live or the PITH and the PGA Tour would look like. I think what I'm maybe pointing out here is stuff that's going to come up when the sides discuss the agreement. And you know, I'm not a genius, but even I can see that this would be a difficult relationship to make work if Live continues to exist in its current form, because if these two sides are working together, then that gives top players on the PGA Tour an awful lot of incentive to leave the PGA Tour and play full time on Live because one of the main things that's preventing them from doing that is the rivalry right now, it's the permanence of leaving for Live and being cut off from the rest of the ecosystem. Well, if that threat isn't there anymore, I can't see a reason why a lot of players wouldn't remove themselves from the PGA Tour circuit. And so I think that that's got to be something that the PGA Tour is thinking about right now. How do we prevent this if we are working with the PIFF.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and think and it all goes back to what we were talking about earlier. Not to bring up to odopgr again and all that, but if I can't layer a shof like go Sure they might have some long term exemptions into a few of the majors, but those are going to end at some point. So how long would they stay with Live? Would they be able to play enough PGA Tour events or World Ranking Point events to be able to keep their status and still get into those would if this does go through, does that mean this do we'll live get points? Then all of a sudden, if they're aligned with the PGA tour this time. There's so much stuff that's up in the air and so much that's going to have to change. But like you said, with these organizations working together, it opens up the door for so many new new wrinkles and new things to happen. It's the future of professional golf and professional golf as we know. It could look completely different in a year or two times. And it's I don't know if that's good for the fans are bad for them, Honestly, I really don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's been mostly bad so far. Yeah, but but hopefully at some point somebody will We'll think about us. You know, we don't have a lot to offer. But but you know, well that's not true.
Speaker 2: We have so much to offer. We have so much offer. Don't sell us short like that, Gar, You have our interest to offer. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now for a quick word from ag one. If you're a longtime listener, you might know. I've been drinking ag one for about a year. I started right around this time last year. When I started drinking ag one daily, I really noticed a difference in how I felt on a daily basis. I just felt more energy, I felt like I had better focus, and I generally felt healthier. That's because ag one is a foundational nutrition supplement that supports your body's universal needs like gut optimization, stress management, and immune support. Since twenty ten, ag one has led the future foundational nutrition, continuously refining their formula to create a smarter, better way to elevate your baseline health. Even some of my friends have started to drink AG one and they always tell me how much better they feel, how much more energy they have on a daily basis, and just how much better they feel their body works. I share that sentiment. It's been really a great year. So ag one is a sponsor of the show. They've really supported us over the last year, and ag one is the supplement I trust to provide the support my body needs daily, and that's why they've been a partner for so long. If you want to take ownership of your health, it starts with ag one. Try ag one and get a free one year supply of Vitamin D three, K two, and five free AG one travel packs with your first purchase. Those are really handy when you're on the road. Go to drinkag one dot com slash the fried egg that's drinkag one dot com. Slash the fried Egg. Check it out. Now back to the show.
Speaker 1: Shifting topics. You know you've been on site at a few live events this year, You've been tracking the league. I don't cover professional golf even full time. I kind of split my time between thinking about professional golf occasionally and mostly writing about golf architecture and golf industry stuff. And so from my perspective, Live has certainly dealt with some waning interest this year. And when live events are on there are certainly people who are very interested in them, but my sense is that they're not penetrating the mainstream discourse in the way that they did last year. So I wonder, from your point of view, which is very different from mine as somebody who writes about live and has been to a vents and all that kind of stuff, is that just my perception that the interest in live has been waning or is that something that people on the inside or people covering the league have noticed as well.
Speaker 2: No, it's definitely something we've noticed, and I think one of the I know you and I have talked about this before, but the biggest thing with Live wasn't what was happening on the course, It was what was happening off the course. It was the player movement. Who's going where? What's jaysaying about Greg? What's Greg saying about Jay? It was that back and forth, you know, mud slinging that kept everybody interested in Live for all that time, and then they would tune into the events on Sundays to see who won. It's interest levels at events have have probably maybe maybe been a bit better with some turnout. Obviously. I was at you know, the the opener in Mexico at Mayacoba, but no, no, there wasn't a really great atmosphere there, but not many resort you know events get great atmosphere, So that's nothing against Live.
Speaker 1: There wasn't a great atmosphere at the PGA Tour event that was at my act.
Speaker 2: Exactly, but I would say like the amount of the amount of bachelor parties that went for that event was crazy. It was. It was there were at least four or five that were out walking the grounds that day or that weekend, which is crazy. But yeah, it's the interest level on the course has maybe gotten a bit better, not from the outside looking in, but at events. I think they're they're getting a better turnout at places their their party whole atmosphere at Adelaide was absolutely wild. They're going to keep doing events like that. They're going to keep doing things like that because they've seen the success and what it can bring in and the social media engagement. It drives the fan interest from people wanting to go to the events. It'll drive that interest. Like I said, is there a little bit better off the course, though not as much anyways, because like we said, there isn't that same player movement because they have to have their rosters locked in now that they have this league concept. It's I think it'll all I think I'm curious to see what the free agency kind of transfer period looks like coming up after next week. They're going to be able to, you know, trade players and move players. They were allegedly supposed to do that last year, and the only really thing we saw was the two moves with Dustin Johnson getting rid of Taylor Gooch and picking up Peter u Line and a few other switches that came Matt Wolf move teams. It's I think we're gonna see a lot more movement with that, given the fact that they've got that twenty five to forty four is like so long story short, the way the Live is gonna break down their points. One through twenty four is their the lock zone they call it, and those are the players that are locked in for twenty twenty four no matter what. Twenty five to forty four are in the open zone, which means that they can those players can be traded, they can be dropped from their teams, picked up by other teams, complete and total free agency with them. They can either stay with their team or they can move. And then forty five to forty eight are that drop zone area, like we talked about earlier, that would be somewhat relegated but have a chance to play their way through. I'm curious to see what the transfer period looks like and how many teams are moving people around. I think that could be interesting to pick up some of their interests off the course. But yeah, waning interest has been across the board. I don't think they've reported their TV viewership numbers since like the second or third event of the year. I know SBJA still goes through and you know, kind of takes them to task on a few of those for the different ways that they look at their ratings and what they do. But I will say, the broadcast has gotten a bit better, still not saying much given from how poor it was last year, but they show a lot of shots, which is a feather in the cap for them compared to what the PGA Tour and what we've gotten from NDC and Golf Channel for the last year. But they still struggle with providing the context for those shots, Like it's cool to be able to sit back and see golf shot, golf shot, golf shot. You can see so much, what was the context of it? What does it mean other than the fact that, well, if they keep playing really well, they're going to make a ton of money at the end of the.
Speaker 1: Week, all right. So you know, something that is really significant about what LIV is doing and has been done well is the live event aspect. Right, That's not something that necessarily comes through on the telecast, which, as you mentioned, has had its issues, and to be fair, the PGA Tour telecasts have had significant issues this year as well. But the on site event, to my mind, has has always been pretty impressive at LIV. What they stand up and the experience that they provide at a golf course for a you know, I mean, yes, they have all the money in the world to do what they want. But it's it's working as far as I can see now. I've I've just been to one, you know, I went to Live Portland and that was one of my main takeaways. I was like, this is a real thing here, this is a real event. It doesn't have that eerie potentkin village vibe to it where they're just putting it on for TV. There's something happening on site. So is that something that you've picked up on or continued to pick up on this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. I Mean the one thing that kind of really tripped me up when we were in Portland together was the did you ever see the guy that was on the unicycle that was riding around and juggling during competition?
Speaker 1: Saw him, but I certainly heard about him. Their tongues were wagging the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I haven't seen anything like to that level since. But as far as you know, the music and the festival atmosphere and all of that, that the fan village is is actually pretty cool. I'm not gonna lie. They get some really good, you know, really good food options in there, some beverage options for the adults and for the kids. They've got it like the little kids village that they do where they're actually teaching you know, courses where they've got stem and stuff like that. It's it's really interesting they what they do there, and they give fans so much like you almost forget there's a golf tournament going on when you go to some of these events, but that's to their kind of catering towards They like this festival, fun atmosphere. They don't want it to be as as you know, rigid as a PGA tour they would. They want you to know that you can go out, you can come here for four to five hours, you can have fun, and you can watch a little golf from some of the best players in the world, not all of the best players in the world, but some of them, and then go about your day and it's it's completely there. And I think that's the one thing that they've really, really, really done well is the fact that they make it engaging for fans. Right, It's not like you're just going there to watch golf. You can actually they've got you know, chipping contests and putting contests everywhere where you can you know, win money or prizes or whatever. They've got so much going on that it's a very interactive day for fans, and that's not something you see at a whole lot of PGA Tour events or any PGA Tour events. For the most part, they might have some small stuff here and there near a merchandise ten or something, but I will it's it's impressive when you go out and see how much live gear is being worn by people. They'll go out, they'll buy the hat, they'll do this high flyer stuff just flies off the shelves. I don't know if that's the fill. Probably if that's just the fill you know, issue there or whatever, but fireball stuff letting people love that. I saw four live golf hats at the Salheim Cup, which I did not expect to see, but that was that was interesting enough, to say the least, probably from people that went to the Valdorama event also over there, I would assume, But yeah, it's there's there's definitely interest in the fans that they do show out for it, and they seem like they all have a great time, and you know that's obviously there. But like you said earlier, it's it's impressive what they've done, but kind of takes away from it. Given how much money they have at their disposal to'll be able to hire all the production companies to put on these events. But this year they have really you know, tightened up their their budget as far as the production stuff goes, and they're still able to put on put on a pretty decent product. So it's impressive for what they're able to do. They're hiring some really impressive musical talent to come and play concerts. After the fact, they're absolutely nailing that aspect of it. And I think if anything that could be you know, something that helps the helps the league grow going forward in the future is the fact that they can say, look at all these musical acts, like these people who are aligning with us, look at the people they're getting to play in their pro am, and they're creating you know, social content off of that. You know, they had the barstool guys out there. They've done stuff with a bunch of professional football players, basketball players, drivers, athletes, actors. They're getting big names to align themselves with live and I think that's only going to help them going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's going to be a gradual creep, right you know, as this league gets normalized and people start to realize that it's not a pr problem for them to be associated with it anymore. You're going to see more and more of these big names showing up at events and linking themselves with this brand. Right for a little while there, that would have been a major us. Yeah, but it's not. It doesn't seem like it is anymore. That that kind of hard news juice that Live had, where New York Times reporters and Washington Post reporters were showing up and asking the questions that those kinds of journalists ask, that they're not there anymore, and and so that has taken some of the pressure.
Speaker 2: Off they they showed up at Bedminster again. That's always got some of the guys from from the New York media and all that. And I'm sure we're going to get plenty down down at Derrelm next week as well. But like going back to Port, do you remember how contentious some of those some of those interviews and press conferences were.
Speaker 1: It was it was he was Brooks's first event, right, and he was in a foul mood.
Speaker 2: Right. He he hit me. He hit me with the Thanks chief after I asked him about uh, I asked him of what kind of after I got him, what kind of a what kind of media training they got, because they all gave the same answer, and uh Ari Ari Fleischer was standing three feet off the podium. I haven't seen him since. I've seen him since, but I've seen him since, but I haven't seen him like standing right next to taking notes like he was then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you know that, and they're sitting right in front of me. It was. It was a New York Times reporter, and there were people who were there to report hard news, right, not sports news. And and I'm not insulting sports news or anything, that's obviously what I do, but you know that it's a it's a different kind of atmosphere when you have those kinds of reporters there. And yes, it absolutely was contentious. You can see. You could see that the players who were giving those press conferences were not at all used to being asked to engage with these issues, and so their their attitudes came through clearly about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the point I want to make there with with that is the fact that there has been nothing even close to that this year, aside from before the majors when they're asking about what it's going to be like to come back with the guys, and and you know what, you know, when you're seeing the players you haven't seen a long time, you know, what's it going to be like? Or when Brooks played played on the Ryder Cup team. That's the only even bit of contention that we've seen with these press conferences. And I know that the issue of sportswa washing has been brought up a lot Golf weeks and am and Lynch has written a lot about it. I've written about it. We've talked about it a lot. And if people are saying, you know, well, you know sports watching is working because those questions aren't being asked anymore. It's like it's it's such a tough line for us to walk because we probably should still keep asking these questions, but we know the answer we're going to get, and we only get a few guys for a little bit of time. That's the one thing that a lot of people don't understand is we don't have the access to the players at live events that you would at a PGA Tour event. Right you can request to bring people in. It's up to the player more than more likely than not if they're going to say no. Like Dustin Johnson was leading after the first day in Portland last year and he didn't talk to the media. I don't know if you remember that part of.
Speaker 1: It so hard to get players that you wanted, Like it was just like we're going to give you who we're going to give you.
Speaker 2: And then even now it's even more difficult because what they used to do is they would bring everybody. Everybody would go to scoring at once, right, So it was we were basically had a feeding frenzy picking off as many people as we could that weren't going to be you know, standing on the standing for the normal press conference after the round. Now they're doing scoring at whatever hole they end on. They're not going back to the tent, so we don't have that ability to pick off guys as they come through. So if you want to try and get somebody, you got to run out onto the course, try and find them wherever the heck they might be out there, and then sprint back in to try and get stuff at the press conference near there.
Speaker 1: That's got to be intentional.
Speaker 2: That's well the reason given when they when they put out the press release for doing all that was the fact that oh, it's going to save like, you know, so much time for the players and they can go back to doing you know, they're they can go to the range. None of these guys go to their range after Bryson. Might be there's only one that goes to the range after the ground. Yeah. So but that's just another wrinkle of that that I think that to defend us, you know, us big jay journalists who are out there, us entertainment reporters who are out there on the front lines doing all this cover and live like we don't We just don't get that access anymore like we would normally get. So it's just should we still be asking these questions? Probably? But yeah, I can understand a lot of us who have kind of pivoted, who are trying to actually talk about the things that are happening right now, when not the stuff that we've already covered and people have already given answers on or not answered the.
Speaker 1: Yeah or shown what they're going to do in response to and they've been trained on all those questions at this point, So you're not going to get the interesting stuff that everybody got at Live London, where nobody was prepared and so a lot of things were let slip, and that's just they've tightened up. And I'm with you on this, you know, and we're all we're all trying to serve our audiences, and to be frank, our audiences don't want us writing every single week about sportswashing in the same way over and over again. I think that this is still a relevant consideration and something that everybody should absolutely keep in mind when they're thinking about live or watching live. I think we've been pretty clear and urging people to do that, and as you say, Aim and Lynch at your own publication has been very consistent on the issue himself. But you know, at a certain point you've had your say and you've got to keep covering what's happening because that's the job and that is what is serving the audience. So we're all the media is put in a difficult position here, you know, and everybody I'm sure is trying their best with it. Now a media related question here not to not not to you know, uh, look inward too much or naval gaze too much. Here we're toward the end of the podcast. You know, this is what we can do here. You mentioned I remember you mentioning the last time we talked about Live in February or so that articles that you were writing about Live were doing major like numbers on sort of off months for the golf season. You know, you write about Live in January or February, and all of a sudden it's just, you know, giving you the kinds of page views that you might get if you were writing a preview for the Open Championship and so. Has that remained the case. Are you still noticing that readers are avidly seeking out the latest Live stuff?
Speaker 2: Depends on what the what the area of conversation is, game stories and all that. Still, you know, on Sunday, sure there'll be some some interesting views there and be some some interesting you know, spikes and numbers when we see a guy like DJ Win or Cam Smith or one of the big names. When when Charles Howell and do you remember Danny Lee won the second Live End of the year? How about that? Yeah, those story those two guys didn't. Yeah, those those two guys. Yeah, he hasn't really done much since those two guys really haven't. Yeah right, I'll leave that one alone. I'll leave that one alone. Yeah, it's their interest is still there in some cases, but it depends on what it is. When it comes to the OWGR stuff, obviously we're getting huge playoff of that. When it came to the framework agreement, obviously we had massive, massive playoff of that massive interest there. But like we said, the game stories and the in what the league is doing on a week to week basis not as much. But it's those overarching you know, stories and storylines that have the bigger ramifications. That's the stuff that we're still seeing a whole lot of interest in. And that goes back to what you and I talked about twenty or thirty minutes or so ago, talking about the interest level has dropped across the board, off the course, just because there it's not as device as it used to be, Like they've already disrupted the market now they're here, Like there's it there that's there's still divisive and it's still there's still the one side versus the other in some aspects, but it's not nearly as as bad as it used to be. And you know, I think one of the one of the massive you know, headline things for newspapers and stuff was if it bleeds, it leads, so like you need the you need that kind of you know, gory, bad stories that are going to do a whole lot of numbers because people like to read about that stuff. It's just it's how it is across the board. So we're still seeing some but it's not certainly like it was when you know, DJ left or all these players, the rumors for players leaving, what's happening and all that. It's it's it's certainly not to that level. No, but still interest though. That's why I'm going to spend the full week in Miami. That's why I went to went to Mexico to start off the year. It's there. There is still very much interest in this, but I think that's because people want to know what's happening, and Live doesn't release a whole lot of info. So that's what's up to what's up to people like myself and you know, we mentioned Bob Harrig on this. Evan Priest from from Digestics Good has been to a lot of events and covered a lot of this pretty well too. Like it's it's basically on us to try and go out there and shed some light on what's what's actually happening through there. And I think, you know, a lot of people in the media have sort of picked up on that. I think not to not to pat ourselves on the back too much, but I think Golf Week its kind of early on that one.
Speaker 1: But it's a beat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been. It's been interesting, to say the least. It's it's a I never thought when I joined Golf Week in twenty nineteen that this is the kind of stuff I'd be writing about her doing when I signed up to be our college and an amateur beat reporter four years ago. You know, it's the game has definitely changed changed quite a bit since then, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, Adam, keep doing your thing. Thank you so much for coming on the podcast, and we'll talk against.
Speaker 2: So always a pleasure join Club TFE. It's awesome.
Speaker 1: This episode of the Friday Golf Podcast was produced by Matt Rusius. Thank you, Matt. If you have a moment, please rate and review the Friday Golf Podcast wherever you might be listening to us. I think the Apple Podcasts ratings and reviews are especially meaningful, so if you're there, that would be a big help to us. Thank you for listening, and we'll be back again.
Speaker 3: Soon