Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory Spelling and iHeartRadio podcast. Super exciting. You guys, Brian and I Gone and David Forever. We're just at Planet Comic Con in Kansas City and it was so much fun. Now we have been doing these comic cons and conventions for a bit and they're really fulfilling because we get to meet the fans up close and personal. And Brian and I are such people people people people we are. We love people. We love meeting our fans, we love talking to everyone. We both love talking. So you know, you stick us there and we're we're in our But this was this one was for me at least, like fangirling this whole weekend, Like it was such a cool experience because you know, we do them and we get to meet the fans and they get to meet us, and it's super exciting. But we don't often have time to be able to see the people were like excited to see and we actually got a really happy medium this weekend of being able to be there for our fans and being able to be fans ourselves and oh my gosh. So it was me and Brian flew into Kansas City, which I was just in Kansas City. You've heard me tell the story of how I did the with you know, the worth of horror experience with my best friend Jess in Kansas City a few months ago in October specifically where there's that cute bartender and Jess was like, are you gonna Are you gonna text him and tell him you're back in town. I'm like, nope, the thought crossed my mind, but we'll just love it. Let it live in that memory of that weekend. And we were way too busy, Like we were so busy. We hit the ground running, like Brian and I and ruth Ann. We flew in and uh we got to our hotel and sometimes we'll fly like the same day and go right into fan signings, and this time we flew in the night before, so we were actually able to go to dinner and have a moment, which was really nice. So Brian and ruth Anne and I went to dinner and immediately we were sitting down at our table and Brian was like, oh my god, there's Christopher Lloyd and he was sitting at a table eating dinner by himself. So the last night we were there, who do we see again? Christopher Lloyd? And I'd had a couple of glasses of rose, so liquid courage. And I never go up to people. I get super nervous. But maybe it's my new found confidence since at the iHeart Awards I did get to take a selfie with Billy Idol. Maybe I was like, look at me, I'm I'm the new fangirl and happy to be here. So I said, I'm going in. I went over to the table and I introduced myself, and I wound up sitting down with Christopher Lloyd and his people at his table. And you know, I would like to think that, you know, I did put on the charm and a little bit of my feminine wiles. I still got that. And you know I complimented him on his glasses and and I did. I did go in and caress his hair, because let's face it, his hair is infamous, like you know, like and like you know in Back to the Future. He still got it, by the way, really soft hair. So I guess I did flirt a little bit and I said, can I take a selfie with you? And I took a selfie with him and put my looped my arm through his arm, and he was super kind and very warm. Anyway, I have a selfie with Christopher Lloyd, and that's all that really matters here.
Speaker 2: Christopher Lloyd was very taken with you. You think, oh, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Stop it, tell me more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he was sitting with Anne Margaret, but he only had eyes for you.
Speaker 1: Stop it. I think he liked it. I found his glasses very charming. He had good glasses. He's a good looking man. How old is he now? He really looks amazing his eighties. I think he's in his eighties.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I'm a little obsessed that Anne Margaret is like eighty two and looks phenomenal, phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Okay, so again, I'm now that girl. I'm that girl that's like, you know what, I never get pictures at these things with people because I'm always like, gosh, they're here working. I'm not worthy. I want to respect the fact they're here doing a job and they don't need like someone else in the industry being like, can I have a picture with you as well? So sometimes I don't take pictures that I really like to have. But I did get to meet, as Ruthan said, and Margaret, and that was that was amazing. Wow. You guys eighty two, right, she looks phenomenal. Her fashion sense not like still on point. She had these vintage boots that I was like coveting that we talked about, oh my god, her hair, her face, like everything, and talk about like not just a beautiful woman and she's always been. I mean, she was like a major sex symbol, but she's like a beautiful soul. Like she was so humble and so gracious. And we found out this is her first convention that she's done of something outside of LA and what a convention to do because they're so kind at Planet com con in Kansas City. But yeah, it was her first experience and it was she had a great experience, and she just had this like light about her, right, this energy that emanates, and it's like, oh my gosh. Of course, you know, I'm telling my kids like Anne Margaret and they don't know who it is, and that like crushes my soul because it's like a different era, like, oh my gosh, she was with Elvis, you guys, Oh my god, like major, what a mega. She's still a sex symbol. Like that woman is hot and she's not currently in the business, and she's kind of left that behind, but I was fascinated. I said to her guy that works with her, I said, would she ever do something? And I said something that like, she doesn't have to, you know, she's Anne Margaret. But if there was something acting wise that she was passionate about, I was like, would she ever consider it? And of course, you know me, the producer in me is like, my mind is just going like, wouldn't my what a coup? My dad would love that, like he knew her and he would be so impressed, like if I worked with Anne Margaret. So I'm just putting it out there because I'm all about manifesting things that I really enjoyed her, and I would love to work with Anne Margaret and do something with her because she was really charming, really smart, really personable, and really funny. Anyone ever seen her be super funny? I don't know she was. She was a baller. Like what's your most famous movie? Would you say? I'm sure different people have different thoughts on this, but.
Speaker 3: I think people would say grumpy old men. Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 1: Grumpy old man, but take us back to like her and her like, hey, hey no bye bye. Bertie is probably my favorite movie that she's done, but I would think a lot of people in a different generation would know her as the love interest of the guys from Grumpy Old Men and Grumpy Old Men. Okay, so but let's go back to like her original era, so bye bye Bertie.
Speaker 3: But like also Viva Las Vegas with Elvis.
Speaker 1: Viva Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: I think I was the only one there who didn't know she had a thing with Elvis. And the other celebs that we were hanging with, if I might say so, they were all in awe that she was connected to Elvis, which I thought was so fascinating because I didn't even know that.
Speaker 1: I got to be honest, I guess I knew it at some point, but I didn't remember until a fan came up to Anne and I were talking another day because we're friends now, you know, we're just gonna law be catching up and saying, I hope to see in la And he came up and I had seen him previously, and he was like, oh my gosh, and Margaret and he was like, look, I have Marilyn on my arm. I have your old fling and he's like Elvis and I was like, m lips are stealed. But wow, didn't remember that.
Speaker 2: Wait, how did he respond? Did she say anything?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I panic, so I just stare at his tattoos. I know what to do.
Speaker 3: Everything online, Everything Online says they never had a romantic relationship, but that they did have a very close friendship after they did the nineteen sixty four Viva Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of people seem to think there was more to it, but hmmm, I guess we'll never know unless toy, how do you know?
Speaker 1: I man to go out for drinks with her one night and I'll be like and break it down for me. That's why get really close.
Speaker 2: A few glasses of rose.
Speaker 3: And yeah, she was twenty two years old when she did that movie with him, so that's sixty years ago.
Speaker 1: Sixty years ago. You guys, this woman looks in this This is blowing my mind. And I wanted to say, like, how do you what is your secret? How do you look so good? But then I was like, is that insulting at her age to say that? Like maybe she's like why wouldn't I look this good? I don't know, She's so nice. I feel like you could ask her anything. Okay, Yeah, I gotta figure this out just got to become my new bestie.
Speaker 2: She does, but you have some other besties from this past weekend.
Speaker 1: Yes, I got to be very close with Malan Ackerman because Brian and Malan are friends and just did a movie together. So, I mean, this woman's resume is incredible. She's been in everything and anything and everything. Such a brilliant actress and comedic actress and such a fan. But we figured out that we are like twin flames. We literally spent the weekend together. She was there with her hubby and her son, who's amazing, her brother in law, Tom Payne, who my kids are big fans of, who is married to her sister. It just, oh my gosh, what a nice group of people, and we had so much fun together. But she and I have been through a lot of we found out we didn't know until we sat down and really started talking similar circumstances in life. She's very self deprecating like I am, and more important, what you know is a big thing for me. We like all the same foods. You got all the same foods, the tartar oysters. We talked a lot about food. Oh my god, you guys.
Speaker 2: Also, I have to say looked so great together that I of course could not stop thinking about the possibilities of you guys doing something co starring in a.
Speaker 1: Movie or ruthans like, you guys have to do a project together. I was like, well, wait, wait, wait, I don't want her to think I want this newfound friendship just for that, but we are good together like you would have thought we had been best friends for like twenty years. It was wild. It was like we were finishing each other. It was like on a soul level, like I haven't connected with oh female that way and like forever. It was like it was insane and she's so beautiful, and I guess I wouldn't think anything less because I've never heard anything less about her. But just the kindest, warmest person. That was the running thing this weekend, Like everyone I met was so kind and warm and just blew me away. I got Skeet Ulrich, who he was kind enough, my daughter Hattie. They're the biggest Scream fans, and I was like, I never asked this again, but he was so lovely and he and I actually didn't connect during Scream even though I was in Scream two, he was in Scream one, and we probably have seen each other over the years. I don't even know if we really did, but we connected when he was on Riverdale with Luke Perry and they became so close. And when Luke passed, Skeet the family organized a celebration for Luke and it was at Skeet's house and I just remember walking in and being like, Gosh, I'm so sorry that this is the time we're coming together, but thank you for doing this for him and for the family and friends. And it was really beautiful and what a nice, nice guy that I felt comfortable with him. After we were all hanging out, saying can you send a video to my daughter Hattie, And he sent the cutest video and Hattie just wrote back, OMG, I love him so much. Made her whole whole weekend. And I got to meet Bowser. We're not talking Seanna Na Bowser from Mario.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought you were talking about Bowser.
Speaker 1: That's who I thought it was.
Speaker 2: When she told me she was gonna take cried.
Speaker 3: You don't even know. That just almost made me cry because I used to go to Bowser concerts with my dad and I was just about to freak out that you met Bowser from Shanda that but and.
Speaker 1: That's our generation. I know. I guess I'm here with the voice of Bowser Harry and they were like what. He did a voice video for them and that. Yeah, Like Cattie was psyched about Ski, like you know, it's funny. Like my friends, I'm like Christopher Lloyd and Margaret They're like what what? And then my kids, I'm like the voice of Bowser from all the video games and everything. They're an animated series. They were like blown away and so so he did a video like the next day. He finds me at the convention last day and he said, oh my god, I was just packing up, and he brought over and signed a picture for Brian's kids and a picture for my kids. And it was funny because he was like okay, and I got nervous, and he was signing a picture, an animated picture, and he was saying it. I was like, oh, thank you so much, and I was fangirling. So I was like to toy and he's like, you don't want it for your kids. I'm like, yeah, I just got nervous. Yes, of course for my kids. For my kids, And then I was like okay to Liam l Iam He's like, okay, I'm like an stella st and then I kept going and he's like, whoa wait, before I go on, how many do you have? And I was like, oh, like twenty and he's like what. I was like, no, no, no, I have five. Though he's like, you have five kids. I was like yep. So he wrote it to them and then he said, you know, I'm still telling that story from last night. Oh, I've been telling this story all day. It was great. He said, well, I said to you, I just met Anne Margaret and she kissed my hand and you said, well, I can beat that. And then you bit my hand and I paused to see his reaction, and then he goes, I've been loving it. I've been telling everyone all day. It was the highlight of my night. The Tory spelling bit my hand. And I took a beat seeing that he loved the story, and I said, would you like me to sign that bite? He laughed, that's all I got too much. So you know, I'm fascinated with food. So we were doing all these photo ops and lines and then this one girl came out and sometimes everyone says I have selective hearing. I had like kind of wandered off and I was just like, la la la, ready to go back to my line and sign autographs. And this woman walked out from one of the photo ops and Brian said, oh, what are you eating? And she said dole whip and it's like, out of nowhere, Brian says, I turned around went door whip. Oh my dam.
Speaker 3: That is a completely, one hundred percent appropriate and accurate response to anybody who says dole whip. I just got. I just went to Hawaii and the only thing on my agenda was to go to the Dole Plantation to go get dolep I took pictures inside of a doll whip.
Speaker 1: I tried to justify this to Brian, who can say bow and riles me up. They had a truck, they had like they had a stand there.
Speaker 3: No, because they only don't doll whip at the doll farm and in Disney. I thought, that's it, thank you.
Speaker 1: Brian's like, you can get doll whip anywhere. I'm like, stop it, you're ruining this for me. It's kind of a Disneyland thing. They do have some places that have it soft served, like they have the whatever it's fake do wip it's not the same. They do have it in markets now, and I've gotten it for my kids. It's not the same.
Speaker 3: I'm a friend.
Speaker 1: It's the soft Dole Whip brand. It was there and I got my dole Whip. I posted a picture. I got my Dole Whip and I was happy, and so the rest of the week, and Brian was just like deer in headlines Doorwhip, and I'm like, yeah, dull, you know how to make me happy? Food, food and food, And then what's the story you want me to tell next? Ruthan final lineup for Tory spelling that one.
Speaker 2: There's actually quite a few, but I do want you to talk about the plane ride home and one of the flight attendants.
Speaker 1: We don't have to say that. Let me get to that after, Okay. So now there's different types of conventions that I feel it's a niche thing for different things. Like Brian and I do very well at conventions, but like our nineties con ones, like that's a slam dunk for us, right, And some of these are more geared towards you know, horror films, thrillers, anime, you know, comic books. So it brings different crowds. So at this particular one, while we had amazing fans that came out to see us, you know, our single photos, I feel like, you know, we didn't have that many. So Brian and I were like doing this inside joke, like, oh, how many photo ops for us today? One? Okay, let make note of that, like we well, of course we had tons more, but we were making jokes to ourselves like they're lining up to see this group, but like us, it's like, you know, like Skeet and Matthew Lillard for Scream Killer Duo, like their lines were like thousands, you know. So we were making a joke. And then on the heels it was like our final day and they were like you could hear them. They'll be like, whoever's you know, they're rolling people along, so they're like in the photo ops section, last call and it was me and it was like, call for Tori spelling, and right is the guy the announcer goes to say it.
Speaker 2: He goes.
Speaker 1: Last call for Tori spelling.
Speaker 4: And Brian's eyes and my eyes and Brian I just kept looking at him and he goes, let's call for Tori.
Speaker 1: Spelling. And that was like the running joke, and I was laughing so hard I was gonna piss my pants and I was crying, crying, and I just kept thinking about it the rest of the day. I'd be in the middle of signing autographs and just here Brian toy spelling. I would just start laughing out loud and crying, and people were like, what is wrong with this chick? And I I wish I got to get an audio of him doing it, because his reenactment of it is pretty good, brilliant, hilarious. It's like it was a total episode of like so Notorious my Show or like Curb Your Enthusiasm. You know, it's something that only would happen there, and you're like, what the heck.
Speaker 2: There were a couple of other highlights. I just want to mention careful well. First of all, one of the highlights for me was that Asuf Mondy was there, who is best known for The Daily Show and he's on that show Evil and he was one of the people that we were hanging out with and he he was very powerful and into our show and he's going to do the podcast, so that's exciting. But the other the other highlight was a certain gentleman that was wine with his lady friends who were waiting.
Speaker 1: To Oh my god autograph and for see. You know, most people.
Speaker 2: At these cons come in some sort of costume for whoever they're fans of. You know, they could be Stormtroopers, they could be you know, Alice in Wonderland.
Speaker 1: Right, a lot of screen, like a lot of people came in my line that you know, we're Scream fans and dressed ghost face yep.
Speaker 2: Right, And so I'm not sure what his female friends were wearing, but that was a costume.
Speaker 1: I think that was just him.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm just saying, like I think the women he was with were in some sort of costume.
Speaker 1: And then we took a look at what he was wearing and he's like, yeah, it's like eleven in the morning.
Speaker 2: He's got a beer in his hand.
Speaker 1: Open one, yeah, T.
Speaker 2: Shirt, baseball cap.
Speaker 1: And then we took a better look at what the T shirt said or and it said to do list colon underneath your mother. And then there was a line through us so wrong.
Speaker 2: And then what it is baseball Caps say, I don't want to say it was so disgusting with dickhead or something.
Speaker 1: Now it said it said I pull out. Oh even better. It was Tshirt said, to do list, and he wanted he wanted a picture, he wanted a selfie with me. Yep, to do list, your mother. We have a looto of that. And then so you get every single type at these cons. It's it's it's really wildly fun hilarious, just hilarious. We had some great barbecue, great barbecue. Oh my god, it was good. Sorry talking about food again.
Speaker 2: I did fall down the escalator, not because I was drinking.
Speaker 1: No, she didn't even start it.
Speaker 2: Tory helped scoop me up. I was just carrying too much merchandise. But on the way back it was extra special that Torry and I were racing to the airport, got on the flight and there was a very special flight attended with a very story.
Speaker 1: Yes I don't want to shame her, but anyway, we walk onto this airline and I'm already You guys know I'm a nervous flyer. So as soon as I walk over, I'm like looking at the cockpit, I'm looking at the captains and you know, looking at the fly attendant. Are you going to be nice? Like please please connect with me so I can tell you I'm scared, just so you'll smile and be like, Okay, it's okay, You're gonna be fine, uh, you know. And then we're hustling to kind of get to our seats because we're on a flight where, you know, they don't have a sign seating, so you're trying to we're trying to find two seats together because I can't fly alone. And and as I step over that threshold from you know, the walkway onto the plane, I see that she has a puppet in her hands, pupping our life can and it's a gray animal of some sorts, and she is talking to people walking onto the flight with the puppet. Of course, I don't think anything of it. I'm like, oh, that's a cute, you know, new strategy this airline. This is maybe the animal that represents this airline, like their mascot, and they put it on, and I'm looking for kids, but I don't see any kids around. I'm like okay, And I thought maybe she pulls it out, like you get your wings or you get you know, this puppet that talks to you. So anyway, we find our seats and we're sitting there and I go to the back because there was a Wi Fi but our chargers hadn't worked, and I just wanted to send a text to my kids, and I said, do you have a charger or power bank? I never And I connected with these two amazing flight attendants and they were super cool and they gave me one to borrow.
Speaker 2: And by the way, they did not have puppets on their hands, just to clarify they did not. Yeah.
Speaker 1: One says to me, this is so wild because the hotel we were staying at, we were all getting into the shuttle to come to the airport and the pilot says, oh, you know, there's a convention, a comic con here this weekend, and we're going back to LA maybe we'll be lucky enough to get Tory spelling. And she's like, and here you are. And of course, you know me, I'm not worthy. I was like, oh my god. There was a gazillion like, there.
Speaker 2: Was Anne Margaret, there was Christopher Lloyd, there was Bowser, Like why.
Speaker 1: Would anyone care about me? But I was like, oh my god, there were so many people. There are so many great people. And she goes, no, but I'm telling you, the pilot said you and we were like, oh, we wish. And then here you are, so I took pictures with them and it was very, very kind. But we became such good friends, and she was super insightful about life and and you know, was a mom herself and been through losing a partner. She had been widowed, but you know, she understood about raising kids as a single mom and what it's like. And we were just connecting on so many levels. And then me being the people please or I never want to disappoint anyone. We then see the puppet woman come by and she wants to know if we can throw away our trash and I'm always like, yes can. I just you know, I've been talking so much cause I just have one more sip from my ginger ale. And then you know, and the other woman says, take your time. We have time. It's like forty five more minutes. And I said, well, I don't want to be mad at me, and she was like she wears a puppet on her hand, and I was like, oh my god, I saw that. Is that like something to do with the airline? Is that a new promotion? And she goes, no, that's a her thing, like she talks through a puppet. And then I became really fascinated and I didn't want to ask too many questions, but I wanted to ask so many questions. And she said, you know, she's really nice. But we've now worked out a thing that everyone else that works with her has said. You know, you do you and you can use a puppet to talk to people on the plane or other people medical emergencies. It's probably not a great thing. No one wants to be saying I feel like I'm having a heart attack and you're calming them down through a puppet, Like no one wants that. But aside from that, we've all made the agreement that when she talks to us, her co workers, she cannot use the puppet. And I was just like I have So I was telling someone after I landed, and you know, and he said, oh, you know what, maybe she has something and that's just like an emotional support thing and she needs to because she can't feel. And I said, yeah, maybe you're right, but it's just you know, well, then flight attendant, like that's a very out there job, like you're talking to people. And I just wondered, like how people reacted to this woman that wouldn't talk to her own voice. She just talked to them through a puppet on her hand. So anyway, I had so many questions.
Speaker 2: What I wanted to know was what happens if there's an actual emergency and like the oxygen mask come down? I mean, is the puppet running around telling people put the oxygen mask on yourself before your children?
Speaker 1: And you know, no, I'm sure not, because at that point she's probably put the oxygen mask on her puppet before herself, so probably not. But we realized to each their own and everyone has their own individuality. But it was I had never seen that, that's all. So that was a new one. And then they said the first officer, which I didn't realize this. There was the pilot Clay, first officer Adam, and they said, would you sign something for them? And I said, oh my gosh, of course they're embarrassed to come ask. And I said, well, I'm a nervous flyer and I would be honored. It helps me, like if I'll sign something for them, But could I go afterwards and just like go to see the cockpit so you'll see on my Instagram I have a picture with them in the cockpit because we stayed afterwards. Everyone had left it's really sad I get to see the woman with the puppet again and pick her brain. But yeah, so I took a picture with them, so that was really fun. So we just had this great weekend and super excited because it's Nineties Con and I'm going to tell all those stories on the next Toy Stories