Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's our two on this Wednesday. Morale is high because I just had one of the brg's picture deray order breakfast burrito's. Yes, yes, no, nobody. Yeah, you know, I thought morale it was kind of wavering a little bit. I wanted to pick up the spirits here. So, uh, we're gonna have breakfast burritos here. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 2: Nobody?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show.
Speaker 4: You know who's a bad better Drake?
Speaker 1: Remember when Drake came out and said he was betting a million dollars I think on the MAVs to win the finals, and he was betting a million dollars on Edmonton to win the Stanley Cup Final. And I picked the Celtics and Florida. I go, I feel really good about my bets. Well, Drake, I guess lost three hundred thousand dollars yesterday because he had Argentina losing. So he he does bet on a variety of things. So Drake of course is you know, betting on Canada. But he lost three hundred thousand dollars betting on his country beating the defending champs, and he posted an image on Instagram that showed his bet would have given him two point eight million dollars. But if Canada won, but Argentina going to their fourth final in the last five of these events.
Speaker 4: Here, man, I'm going.
Speaker 5: To disagree with you. You can't put a part price on Canadian goodwill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't need to put money on my team, my country, just the benefit of winning. You know, he was betting on Dallas and Edmonton. Now I get Edmonton with Canada Dallas. I don't know, why are you going to take Dallas to win the NBA Finals? Now, he might look at it and go Floyd Mayweather always post when he wins. Now, being a former gambler, you only want to talk about the wins. Nobody wants to talk about the losses. But you lose far more than you win. And it feels like Floyd wins every bed somehow, Drake at least posts them, and I do respect that. I just don't know if he's a very good gambler. Yes, Martin, I'm.
Speaker 2: Looking at a post, I guess from Argentina's soccer yeah, and it's got the Argentina players and on top it says not like us, Oh that's me.
Speaker 1: Wows yeah.
Speaker 2: Once again, maybe Kendrick should perform at an Argentina soccer game, not like poor Drake.
Speaker 1: Dang all right the aged seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadan Patrick dot com, Twitter handle a TP show. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock and our radio affiliates around the country also chat row operator Tyler sitting by taking your phone calls. We spend a lot of time talking about a phenom. You know, Cooper Flag is seventeen. You're seeing athletes whether they're fourteen, fifteen, sixteen. There's an Olympic sprinter from the US. He's going to be on the Olympic team. He's sixteen years of age. Normally we see this with girls women that you know, they mature sooner than you'll see somebody who's playing tennis in they're fourteen years of age. Doesn't happen on the men's side because you need, you know, more power there to be able to survive against you know, guys who have been playing for fifteen years. Then you also have the athlete at the other end of the spectrum. You know Joker, you know Novak Djokovic is playing still high level tennis at his age, Lebron at his age, Chris Paul is going to be playing for the Spurs. You have Tom Brady with what he's done, Aaron Rodgers. So you have this wide spectrum of when you start to when you finish, and how long your careers can be. And the fact that you have you know, Serena Williams and Venus Williams against all odds getting out of Compton and being able to be, you know, two of the great players. One is Serena the greatest player of all time, and Venus certainly had a very distinguished career. Tiger Woods when he started how young and then you have to have that dad who is there to enable you. I mean, Tiger didn't have a normal childhood and because his dad wanted him to be the greatest golfer in the world, and he did become that, but there's always a price. Like Michael Jackson, he was going to be the biggest singer in pop history and he became that, but at what price? And that's where we're talking about the parents and the role that you play and encouraging. There's nothing better than having a son or daughter who wants to play, who loves to play, can't wait to play. Nothing worse than dragging your kid to baseball practice and they're, like, you know, out there picking dandelions. They do not want to be out there, but you want them to be the next Mickey Mantle. That's the problem. Kids just want to be kids. It's the parents who want the kids to be something that maybe they weren't, and that's where it gets dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yes, mar Stefan Marberry is a guy I think about because he had three older brothers that all played Division one basketball and none of them made it to the NBA. And if you watch the ninety six draft when he gets drafted, he's crying. His entire family's crying, and it feels like, so he got game is loosely based off of Stefan Marberry because of the family pressure and everything that he had on him. And all around Coney, Allen and Brooklyn, you knew this is the one. The other three they didn't make it, but this is the one. He was like the number one, like ranked sixth grader at one point, and so you can see that type of pressure, you know, get on somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I get it. You know, for some families, this is your way out. This is you know, we're counting on you to get us out to better our lives. And the pressure that's on somebody who's sixteen seventeen years of age. Friday, July twenty six, the Olympic Games return live from Paris on NBC and Peacock Pole. Question from hour one, Seaton and what are we gonna do with hour two? Hour one? We got up there?
Speaker 6: Which would be worse USA Basketball losing to Canada or France? It is a landslide that people do not want to lose to Canada at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, who's got better odds to win the gold medal? Now? United States prohibited favorite to win the gold medal. Which country has the second best odds to win the gold medal?
Speaker 4: Drake Drakes footing three undred thousand? God, France, Seaton, It's not France, it's Canada.
Speaker 1: Canada. Yeah, Yeah, I'm gonna let Drake know that if he wants to maybe place a bet with me, I'll take team USA and he can have Canada. Just said it, Yeah, and we're gonna bet one hundred dollars and I'll give him his odds, but we'll just do a hundred owners.
Speaker 4: Todd reached out to Drake and see if he'll shutting things down for now.
Speaker 1: It's gonna lay low. Yeah, Usa, Canada, then France. Serbia is right after France, and then Greece.
Speaker 4: That's it. That's according to DraftKings, all right. Serbia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they got joker. I wonder if they had to convince him to play in the Olympics. You wouldn't think they would because it's the Olympics. You get to play for your country. But it just feels like once the season's over, he just probably likes to sit around and look at his horses and drink beer. Yes, when is Olympics? How long is Olympics? All right, so what's the poll question for hour two?
Speaker 6: Seaton people saying I hate to break the James nath Smith was a Canadian, so that's good. Okay, Oh no, okay, it's coming home.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that James na Smith when he was, you know, putting up the peach basket at Kansas. Yeah, well he was Canadian. Yeah, it's actually our game.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: Hey, you I take claim. I have no problem with that. I love my neighbors to the north. Wonderful people, Yeah, wonderful people.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How about winn a Stanley Cup. What it's our game? Yeah, it's our game.
Speaker 2: Sunrise, Florida. Yeah, that's where hockey was.
Speaker 1: That's that's where does the great one live? In Sunrise, Florida. But you imagine if Waino says, you know, I'm going to relocate to Sunrise, Florida, you know, in they you know, to be in hockey country.
Speaker 4: All right, that's great, that's great. All right.
Speaker 1: Gus Johnson will join us a little bit later on today. The Mavericks introduced Play Thompson yesterday and Clay had this to say, leaving Golden State.
Speaker 7: Probably a little disappointed at first, but then as time goes on, you have a lot of time to reflect and you realize what you did.
Speaker 4: They can't take that away from you.
Speaker 7: As far as the championships or i mean, records are meant to be broken, but the impact you have on a community and all that that.
Speaker 4: Will forever live.
Speaker 7: And sometimes, you know, breakups are necessary to do us right.
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 1: And he picked number thirty one as a tribute to our good buddy Reggie Miller. He said he grew up watching all that tape of Reggie trying to get open, going over screens and you know, kind of catch and shoot type of players. So he picked thirty one. Here's Chris Paul. He's joining the Spurs.
Speaker 9: I played against him this season, and I tell you there's probably no player in the league that everybody in the league talks about after the game like him, because everybody has their just stuff. Me and Harrison was on our flight yesterday just talking about how cool it's going to be at this point in our career is to get a chance to appreciate him day in and day out, you know, So that definitely helped.
Speaker 1: So he's talking about Victor Wembanyama. I could have set that up a little better, but Chris Paul, they needed us point guard last year with Victor, certainly in the first half of the season, he just was out of place on the court. And a great point guard, a good point guard, a veteran point guard, can position you for success a little bit more. And Chris is going to get plenty of playing time there and he's going to have to be there in a mentorship role for Victor Wembanyama. That kind of interesting. Never want a title. But you know when you talk about people who never players who never want a title, you'll always bring up Barkley Malone in Stockton. Well, Chris Paul is a first batl Hall of Famer. I can't help but think if the commissioner had not voided that trade from the Pelicans from New Orleans to the Lakers, then he would have had a title or two. But that's when the NBA took ownership of, you know, the New Orleans franchise, and the commissioner, David Stern said, I'm.
Speaker 4: Not going to do that.
Speaker 1: He was worried about what was going to happen to New Orleans franchise if you get rid of Chris Paul competitive balance and you know, was this a trade that was not going to benefit New Orleans? And so because the NBA owned or took ownership, Chris Paul never got to go to Los Angeles. Had a lot of opportunities, played for really good teams. But Chris Paul will probably end his career without winning a championship.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Poll That was twenty eleven, right after the lockout. It was a three way deal between the Lakers, Hornets, and Houston Rockets LA agreed to part ways of Pau Gasol lamar Odom exchange for the twenty six year old Chris Paul Wow letting Paul gassall goal at that that.
Speaker 4: Meant a tough one.
Speaker 5: Back then he was pretty he was pretty good.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah.
Speaker 5: But the NBA, David Stern vetoed it. There's miscommunications about it. They said Genie bus was very upset, trot how to file a protest and didn't work.
Speaker 4: Chris Paul should sue the NBA. Maybe it's too late.
Speaker 1: I don't know the statute of limitations, but it'd be like you costed me not winning a championship he had.
Speaker 6: That one, his whole legacy would be completely different, would it If he had one?
Speaker 1: He might not just have one. Yeah, I don't think he's singled out now, but I don't know where he ranks of great point guards of all time. His name doesn't come up with of all time. But he's a first ballon Hall of Famer because if you start at the point guard, because and you know, let's take magic out of this. But is Chris Paul better than Steve Nash? Is Chris Paul equal to Isaiah Is he equal to John Stockton?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: Is he allan Ivers?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Where is Chris Paul and the pantheon of point guards here?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Mark, So you know what I'm gonna take the Vinny goodwill approach them at their peak? Who would you take? Would you take? Oh? Wait, Chris Paul, would you take five? Steve Nash?
Speaker 4: Steve Nash.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go Chris Paul because he took a really good New Orleans team deep into the playoffs one year and it was just like him and guys like Marcus Thornton.
Speaker 4: You have a Nash won the MVP.
Speaker 2: Chris Paul should have won MVP, but he didn't.
Speaker 4: No, but Steve Nash did. He won two.
Speaker 1: Now granted he only deserved one, Shack deserved the other one. Yeah, at his peak? Okay Stockton or Chris Paul, I guess they're pretty similar. It just Stockedon did the same thing every year, in the same numbers, for the same thing. Everybody knew exactly what he was going to do, and he still did it. And you know he'd give you what eighteen and fourteen. I mean, he did that an entire career. What hurts Chris Paul is he bounced around to so many teams. But I don't I mean, he's not Isaiah Who. I mean, I don't know where is he a? He top ten point guard of all times?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is that fair?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to sell him short. I just because he didn't win a title. It just what bothers me. More is he kept bouncing around. Great players don't bounce around like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: More, you know what, because I'm an NBA junkie, I think wherever he went he made the team better automatically.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll give you that.
Speaker 2: Like he had Oklahoma City in the playoffs, but it was just him and Marcus Thorton. I don't know.
Speaker 1: You're right about okay, see because I remember, like, man, they are a lot better than they should be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul Chris Paul led.
Speaker 5: The league and assists five times. He actually led the league in steels six times. But you know what I think may hurt him. His style play is unspectacular. It's not above the room in any way. It's meandering, it's efficient. It's almost a Tim Duncan like as a point guard, where it's it's an efficient it's undefendable. But if you put a highlight team together, it's not gonna be really fun to watch.
Speaker 1: I think he had more highlights at Wake Forest when he played in college than in the NBA. Like he he was always like fifteen footer like there. There wasn't anything where he went mound you see that. And he he's probably known more for maybe some cheap shots that he's had in his career. Yeah, when you're doing lugnuts, I mean, you know that's not good. Yeah.
Speaker 6: But if he's allowed to go to the Lakers in twenty eleven, Yeah, does he end up on you know, all those other teams? Does he end up in Houston, Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Golden State.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know him. It's kind of crazy that that happened.
Speaker 6: Yes, that David Stearns, Yes, was in charge of a team, and I was like, uh no, I say no to this tree.
Speaker 1: Yes, but his job was to protect New Orleans. He had to protect He did the right thing from the standpoint of protecting the team that needed protection instead of going, hey, let's let the Lakers get another great player. So he went against conventional wisdom of making your league better by having a better team.
Speaker 4: Than, you know, keeping New Orleans a float.
Speaker 1: There if they still let him leave, Yeah, eventually, I just you know, and I think it went right. Instead of going to the Lakers, he went to the Clippers. Yeah. Yeah, once again, statute of limitations. I don't know if you can sue the estate of the late Commissioner David Stern. All right, let me take a break. We get phone calls coming up back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Paually Fools Go here with Tony Fools Go. Yeah.
Speaker 11: As everybody knows, we're the hosts of the award winning Polly and Tony foodsco show. Yeah, but instead of us telling you how great we are, here's how Dan Packrick described us when he came on our show.
Speaker 1: Quick, knowledgeable and funny, opinionated. What are you doing interrupting our promo? Yeah, you wasn't talking about you.
Speaker 2: You took those clips totally of context.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, well, after this promo, I'm gonna take go out and beat you.
Speaker 1: Let me put this into context. Shut up.
Speaker 11: Yeah, anyway, just listening to the Pauli and Tony Fusco Show on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Apple podcasts.
Speaker 4: Oh wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Yea, Mercedes Ben's dream Days are here. Exceptional offers on the cle coop eclass Sidan C Class Sidan Clecabriolet going on now through September third. Learn more at nbusa dot com slash dream Gus Johnson, the great voice from Fox Sports, will join us in an hour from now. A couple of phone calls here Lorenzo in Indiana, Hi, Lo, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey, good morning guys. So I got a story from a parents' perspective where if your child becomes good through AAU, gets to high school, gets offers, and then my son walked away from basketball he was burnt out or didn't want to do it anymore, or I didn't handle it well. Then he went in to play in the spring volleyball. So now he just graduated. He's going to go to college and play volleyball. But imagine the stress of the depression that parents go through when your kid does well. It's like, Okay, college is paid for, we don't have to worry about it. Then they just walk away like the not that you want it for yourself, but just the Midt Tom side of parents who've always done it's since third grade, but not thinking about the child's side, and like, you've got it made, this is paid for. What do you mean you're walking away? But then he was able to do something else and do even better at it. So I probably just something for parents to keep in mind. There's other things out there, other.
Speaker 1: Sports well, and that's the tricky part that we all think all he could be or she could be the next well probably not, but are they doing something.
Speaker 4: That they real love, they enjoy.
Speaker 1: That's that's the great part of parenting, when your son or daughter is dragging you, not the other way around. My son infamously was on the campus of a university that had a very good crew team, and my son is good size. He's walking on campus with a buddy. The crew coach comes out and says, uh, are you going to school here, and he goes, no, no, I'm thinking about it. He goes, well, we'd love for you to try out for the crew team, and my son says to the crew coach, Oh, I don't want to do anything in college where I have to get up early. So he relays his story to my wife and I and I go, he goes, no, Dan, why would I want to do that? You know how they kind of get up at five in the morning. I go, if I wasn't paying for your school, and I said, you had to do that and you could get a scholarship, and he goes, yeah, probably, but he didn't want to do something where if he did it well enough, he'd have.
Speaker 4: To do it in college.
Speaker 2: I going, oh my god.
Speaker 1: So happened on two different campuses where they saw him, and they both one was USC and one was a school on the East Coast, and the crew coach said to him, Hey, if you come here, we want you to be on the crew team. He's like, oh, no, I don't want to do that. That's too much work. I'm like, oh my god, what have we done?
Speaker 4: What have we done? We failed? He could have been in the Olympics.
Speaker 1: But you do you live vicariously. I remember I played catch with my son. It's one of the more heartbreaking moments I ever had as a parent. And he just wasn't an athlete. He tried, he tried really hard, and I remember my wife was watching this we're outside playing catch and we came in and she goes, he's not you, and I was like, wow, it just hit me so hard.
Speaker 4: I didn't see it.
Speaker 1: And that's why I tell parents, I've lived this, I've made those mistakes. He can't be or she can't be what you want them to be. And I wanted him to be a baseball player. And my wife saw it clearly and she said he's not you. And she said enjoy what he enjoys. And they changed my relationship. But just letting you know, I wanted him to be a baseball player. I would spend hours whatever, basketball player, whatever. That's just not who he was. That's not who he is. But he became something far greater than what I was hoping he would be. And that is you know, a person, a husband, a father, Those are the things that you treat or that you teach that really lasts the rest of their lives. Not you know what, he can hit the cutoff guy. You know he's not bad. You know he can do a hit and run like it doesn't matter in the moment. It matters so much to you because he go up to the plate, two out's strikeout, and then you'd be like you just want to hide, but you know what, that's your son. It's like, all right, come on, no, you don't want to be Oh god, he's going to make it out.
Speaker 4: It hurts.
Speaker 1: It hurts your kids make you have the highest to high's lowest lows. But when I'm trying to make my son into a baseball player and my wife said, he's not you, it's the best piece of advice she ever gave me with him. Thank god. I listened Pat in Ohio. Hi, Pat, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Dan, Along those lines of parent and child. The Jimmy Pearsaw story is one that I can. Back in the sixties, he played for the Cleveland Indens. I used to listen to the Indians on the radio and I remember one time him coming up to bat against I know it was Detroit, but he wore a football helmet and they were like throwing at him and stuff like that. But then the movie came out, and this is for any of you. This is a movie. I mean, I know it's in black and white, but it's Anthony Perkins and Carl Maldon and I think it was called Fear Strikes Out. Yep, watch it even though, if you got to watch black and white, watch the thing because it's a real teacher.
Speaker 1: And I think Jimmy Pearsaw he hit a home run and he ran around the bases backwards. Might have been his one hundredth home run. I'm short on details here, but Jimmy Pearsaw was a interesting person, but I think he ran around the bases after hitting the home run, he ran around backwards. Let that one sink in for a little bit. Rodney and Michigan, Hy, rod what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 10: How you doing goodbute? So the whole conversation about Canadian basketball, I just wanted to bring up the twenty nineteen Toronto Raptors because I'm always kind of amazed that the title is just kind of forgotten. And the story of that final was Kevin Durant. You know, I saw pictures of him sarin his achilles over and over and over in the close up, and that's what you know, that's what everyone remembers. But like that would be a huge bomb.
Speaker 4: Yes it was, Yes it was, and people do remember.
Speaker 1: Oh that was the finals where Durant got hurt, and of course Toronto ended up winning the NBA championship. But you're right, it is forgotten. That's one of those Oh that's right, all they wanted that year, that's right. I was also wondering about this with Klay Thompson, first BALLL Hall of Famer. He was never the man, never had to be the man. And if Clay went over for ten, nobody was like, oh my god, I'm you know, we're going to ask him questions and interrogate him. It'd be like, h, he didn't hit a shot, but they won. If Steph did that or Draymond did something stupid, then you would be asking them questions.
Speaker 4: But Clay was able. He came out of college.
Speaker 1: Nobody really knew who he was other than they knew his dad former NBA player and Laker announce it. So he gets to the right place at the right time, and somehow it all works out, and then you win four titles, a very good two way player, All Star, one of the great shooters in the history of the game. And now he's going to go to Dallas. It'll be forever known unless he wins a title in Dallas, it'll be just a footnote what he did at Golden State. But this is where when you talk to parents, or even when you're talking to players when they're first starting out. Find a play that you love playing in, a system you love playing with players you love playing with, and makes it far more enjoyable. If you're watching the series Clipped, you know Chris Paul, Blake Griffin. They didn't like each other. Imagine going to work every day. You're on the floor every day and you don't like each other. But you had Steph Clay Draymont for a long time. They respected each other, they knew their roles, and you start to wonder, would you rather have the standalone? If I said you could have Klay Thompson's career or Alan Iverson's career, Alan Iverson one of the greats Standalone dragged a team to the NBA Finals MVP. Or would you rather be Klay Thompson Seaton. I know you're a huge Alan Iverson fan. Man. That's weird because it's like Alan Iverson's an icon.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, he's he has like all of the things that Klay Thompson will never have. Yes, And Klay Thompson has other things that Allen Iverson will never have.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 6: Sheepers, creepers. I gotta take money out of it too. Yes, because Clay, this is just career. This is just what you accomplished basketball. Why is not what you made? I don't know if the joy of that, like the pain of losing, is much greater than the joy of winning. If I'm winning is great. It's tough to not take Clay and the run that they've had. I mean, you're part of a dynasty, even if you're fourth in line.
Speaker 1: I mean, Clay's Name's not coming up top seventy five players.
Speaker 4: Alan Iverson's name is definitely.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would take Klay Thompson's career because he's one of the greatest shooters. He was an integral part in winning championships. And not that this is the last dynasty in basketball, but it is one of the dynasties that we will talk about for a long time.
Speaker 4: Marvin, what about you, I'm going Clay, Okay, Paulie.
Speaker 2: It's a tough one.
Speaker 5: By throwing out Iverson's that's a high end name you're giving out there. Klay Thompson was partially responsible for four titles. He had some tough days. Like you said, six time All Star.
Speaker 4: Night, let's go fritzy.
Speaker 2: My first thought was there.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I'm saying to Paulie. He was doing a fret sea there Klay Thompson.
Speaker 4: Alan Iverson, Clay Thompson. Okay, Todd.
Speaker 12: My first thought was, you go with the rings, But Alan Iverson when you hear the answer and he walks again, I do the walking into a room and changing the culture of the sport on and off the court, and you add up all those things. Alan Iverson, to me, is just a bigger deal even without the rings, like Marino is a huge deal without a Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Seaton, right.
Speaker 6: Like I love the idea of being Alan Iverson and being a cultural force. Okay, right, I love that, But that's all sort of outward facing, right, the internal torture of thinking about how many times I tried to climb that hill and never could. I could never climb the hill, not one time. Clay did it four times. I was never able to climb it, just that one time I came close. But I was never able to climb that hill. That would drive me crazy for the rest of my life.
Speaker 4: Clay or Russell.
Speaker 1: Westbrook, Clay Clay.
Speaker 4: Clay or James Harden Clay.
Speaker 2: So you need a high end person to make this a real discussion.
Speaker 1: I'm just going by MVPs recent MVPs Clay or Vince.
Speaker 2: Carter Canada, Weiss.
Speaker 1: Frederick von Weiss atol Weiss, it's Clay Thompson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna go Clay.
Speaker 12: It's Clay in an honest moment, I wonder maybe you're not so honest moment. The way to rationalize for a great player that hasn't won rings, they could always somehow survive all the disappointment by saying, if I had a I had a group of guys around me, it's not an individual sport like I wonder. And obviously Marino had great receivers and things like that, but I wonder if they're like, you know, I didn't win any championships, but you know, the management could have gotten me some better guys to help us get over the top.
Speaker 1: I don't think that keeps you going the rest of your life. I don't think that works with Marino where he's going. You know, they'd just given me a better running game. He had a Hall of Fame coach, he had free reign to do whatever he want. That offense was just one dimensional, and he got to one Super Bowl and got blown out by Joe Montana. But it let's keep it to basketball here and Clay Thompson winning titles I think, and being a very important, you know person in winning those titles. It's not like, oh, you were on those teams. It's you knew that Clay was on those teams.
Speaker 4: Yeh.
Speaker 1: See Chris throwing out big Shot Bob or Clay. Ooh Clay, I'm gonna go Clay too. I mean big shot Bob or he's got more titles. Clay was more important in the day to day of winning those types. However, however, he's big Shot Bob.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a nice nickname.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he earned it. I'd be just cool ast Clay though, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, And Clay's a splash brother. Like so they have an iconic name. They are iconic team. So like he basically he's James Worthy. Like I could have went somewhere else and scored twenty eight to night and been an All Star ten times?
Speaker 1: Okay, would you rather be James Worthy's career or Klay Thompson's career?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 2: He was showtime agoing James Worthy?
Speaker 6: Okay consistently contributes Clay or big Shot Bob.
Speaker 4: Who would you rather be?
Speaker 2: Big game, James.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but James.
Speaker 1: If James Worthy ends up going to Cleveland instead of the Lakers, he's Alex English. He'll average twenty seven a night for his career and have twenty seven thousand points, but probably nothing to show for it.
Speaker 2: He'd be a snap your finger guy, who is my man with the goggles?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'd be that James Worthy.
Speaker 1: But with you know, the Lakers, that's once again you're part of something. If Michael Cooper plays for somebody else, he's just somebody else who's playing for a team where you go, Ah, that guys, he's pretty active defensively, he goes to the Lakers. Now you got to guard Larry Bird. Now it's different Clay Thompson's career or Dennis Rodman's career, Paulie Rodman, m m Okay, Todd, Clay, Seaton, Rodman, Marvin Clay. You got to take everything with Dennis. Yeah, no, I'm exactly on the floor on the floor. I would take Clay. I would take Clay great, one of the great shooters of old time, four titles. Rodman was with the Pistons. But that was probably kind of awesome. And then he was like he was so important to the Michael Jordan Ara Bulls that he was allowed to leave to go to Vegas for a little while to blow off some steam and then I'll be back later. That's how much they were, like, God, we need this guy. It's kind of awesome, yes, Todd, But at some point.
Speaker 12: When you become like that circus act, even if you're the greatest rebounder in the history of the sport and you've got the rings and all that, it still makes me hesitating.
Speaker 1: He got he got notoriety for rebounding. That's that's impossible. People came to watch him rebound five titles. I mean, I mean there was a lot to him.
Speaker 2: Yes, Mark Robin is the top seventy five guy and Clay is not. So that shows you what you know his peers think of those guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, what's fascinting about Dennis Robin. He wasn't respected when he was playing. He made two All Star teams. He led the league in rebounds eight years in a row and made two All Star teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, criminal, All right, let me take a break. More phone calls coming up, and Gus Johnson will join us next hour. Back after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP. Marked your calendar, Mark this day down this Saturday that I'm going to tell you about. It will be one of the greatest days in college football history. October twelfth. Saturday, October twelfth. Here's the lineup of games Ole Miss LSU, Florida, Tennessee, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, USC Oklahoma, Texas, all on the same day. Mark your calendar plan accordingly, Saturday, October twelfth.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good, Yes, tod Now why do they do that?
Speaker 12: I got it if I was just saying just a coincidence that it happened like that, because there are.
Speaker 1: A week only here. How about this novel approach for ratings and money? Yeah, but there are.
Speaker 12: Weeks in college football where like, ah, it's one of those weeks.
Speaker 2: Well, I forget, Yeah, that's off the calendar. I look forward to next Saturday because there's.
Speaker 1: Probably but I would just enjoy it, Like why would you find the negative in that?
Speaker 12: My point is mix it up throughout the year so that there's always some juicy games every week. We have those weeks where it's like nothing really to talk about there. We're two weeks from now, there's nine games on top of each other.
Speaker 1: But I don't think these conferences go, hey, let's make sure that we have this game, because we got to worry about the SEC or the ACC or the Big twelve competing with us.
Speaker 12: It's just unfortunate for the fans where there's weeks where you can kind of skip the week almost in competably.
Speaker 4: Take it as a positive. And some of these games are on top.
Speaker 2: Of each other.
Speaker 7: Came and watched that.
Speaker 2: Some of them you got to pick one or the other.
Speaker 1: Only you could find the negative and what I think will be the greatest college Saturday this upcoming season.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 5: Also, these college football games are planned years in advance. Weekends are playing years in advance. They don't mix and match them four months before the season like the NFL does.
Speaker 1: Oh here's one. I had a listener. Roberts says, what about Klay Thompson or Dwayne Wade. Dwayne Wade or Klay Thompson. I feel slighted for Dwayne Wade right there.
Speaker 4: Okay, Dwayne Wade was the guy. Okay, well until Lebron came to town.
Speaker 6: He was the guy when Shack came to town. Oh yeah, that's pretty good, but that was back in Shack. Yeah, but he had both of those errors.
Speaker 4: Back in Shack.
Speaker 5: If you had have dropped that years ago that it caught on.
Speaker 1: That could be a single, Shack's new single, gentlemen, Chack.
Speaker 4: Here is back end show. Oh no, let's let me threw that out there.
Speaker 1: I noticed that the Gladiator two is coming out, and I wondered when was Gladiator one the original? And it was nineteen ninety, so that's twenty four years. Russell Crowe won an Academy Award for that, I believe. But you start to see, like Top Gun, how many years was that in between the original and the sequel. It's that thirty thirty three years, maybe longer. Dumb and Dumber twenty year gap, Tron the sequel twenty eight years, Mad Max twenty nine years, Blade Runner thirty five years, Ghostbuster full reboot twenty seven years after Ghostbusters two. So you're starting to see like these equals where it isn't Freaky Friday. Aren't they doing another one with the Jamie Lee Curtis.
Speaker 5: But reboot and sequels different things. Hmmm, you know, like The Hustler and then The Color of Money. That is a sequel because Paul Newman plays the same character in both. It's not a redo of the original script.
Speaker 1: So a soft sequel or a reboot are are they similar?
Speaker 6: And it has to be what we're talking about has to be going from the first one to the second one. It can't be a time between like Godfather two and three or three and four, where there was many many years, but that was like a third or fourth and but.
Speaker 1: You get to take advantage of those. Let's say you watched Gladiator in nineteen ninety. Now you're going to be watching it and then your kids might be watching that. That you'll get an opportunity to get two bites of the apple with these sequels because top gun people wanted to see, alright, what's Tom Cruise going to do with this? And then you found that there were a lot of younger audience members who didn't see the original and then got to see that and it's, you know, pretty spectacular. And then you have, you know, some younger actors in there. Glenn Powell is a star now he's in there. But Tom Cruise doing what he did, but it feels like these sequels are spread out, you know, twenty twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Poem Wall Street was made in nineteen eighty seven, hugely successful. They I read a little about it. They wanted us Oliver ston't to do a sequel. He said, no way, never, it's too iconic. And then another group of people did it years later, and they just inserted Charlie Sheenan for a scene, but they brought back Michael Douglas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then who was the actor, Shia Labouf, you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: But the Top Gun sequel Maverick. It was also I think it was PG or PG thirteen. They didn't have it made it very friendly to bring in like nine year olds.
Speaker 4: Well, visually it's stimulating.
Speaker 1: Two when you're gonna go to the big, big theater and watch that, it's pretty impressive there.
Speaker 5: The Hustler in nineteen sixty one with Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason. Years later, The Color of Money Tom Cruise and Paul Newman nineteen eighty six, both nominated.
Speaker 1: Two Hours in the books. One More to Go the Great Gus Johnson from Fox Sports. He'll join us coming up. More of your phone calls as well. Update the poll results as well. Morale is high. Breakfast Burritos on the Way. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 4: No fin Final Hour on the Way Dan Patrick Show