Speaker 1: Native Lamb Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, y'all. This is episode Get It thirty one, thirty one of Native Lamp Pod, where we give it to you as directly as we can. I'm extremely excited to be joined today by none other than the Tiffany Cross, the Angela Rye, and I'm Andrew Gillim. What's up, y'all?
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 1: A g Everything is, Yes, everything that is a good point. Everything is up, My everything is. It's time to.
Speaker 3: Do You could tell everything is up because Angela has gone so far as to put flowers all over a wall.
Speaker 4: That's a good day.
Speaker 3: You decided to put them all over your hair.
Speaker 4: I love it so Andrew, you missed the floral memo. What's going on? Safe plant?
Speaker 1: But we'll take it. It's gross, it's green gross.
Speaker 4: His soul is still glowing, y'all.
Speaker 3: So much, so much, so much has happened over the past couple of days, and I know, like me, y'all can't wait to get right in it. So on today's episode, we're going to be talking. Yes, Harris taps in Minnesota Governor Tim Waltz to be her running mate. We'll talk a little bit more about that some of the folks who didn't make it what we think this fore tales were November. Of course, we want to dive across the pond over to US involvement and the potential escalating war in the Middle East, maybe get some election news that's a part of that, given this week's Tuesday's primary outcomes. And finally, we want to just illuminate for you that when Republicans are out of options, they get real dangerous, which is why we're going to be taking a look at some of the antics and tactics being under jaking right now by Republicans all over the country at the local, to the municipal, to the state, and obviously eventually to at the federal level try to steal yet another election. Georgia Elections Board appruise new inquiry for certifying elections, and we'll let you know exactly what that means. Let's just start a family.
Speaker 5: Let's go, so, ladies, y'all, we eagerly anticipated for about two weeks not a long time who vice president.
Speaker 3: Here is my select for her, her running mate this is the most important decision, and the decision left exclusively to one person, as is often the case when she will be in the presidency, God Willing. What do y'all think about the choice? Y'all know where I was, and I heard some of where you were, Angelia? You were you were dreaming, big dreams. Friend. Last time we talked about the Vief stage John Stewart, he declined, I don't know who he might have read.
Speaker 4: You know, there are a few things I think. The first thing is, before I get into any of my downsides, I think it would be really dope if we played some of Walls's sound Andrew, I Love You in Black America because y'all definitely calling this man Waltz and it has been noted on Twitter. Why don't we play balls to the walls now? Real quick, let's go, because that's exactly what he's doing.
Speaker 6: Let's do it like all regular people I grew up with in the heartland. JD studied at Yale, had his career funded by Silicon Valley billionaires, and then wrote a best seller trashing that community.
Speaker 3: Come on, that's not what Middle America is. And I gotta tell you, I.
Speaker 6: Can't wait to debate the guy, that is, if he's willing to get off the couch and show up.
Speaker 3: So let's see what I did there. Vice President Harris is like pearls clutch.
Speaker 4: She said, Okay, you know the thing that I really like about him is he gives Kamala Harris some cover. I think that we all know, as a black woman running for this office, even the first time, there are a lot of things that she should be able to do, given her political acumen, given her experience, that they're not going to necessarily let her do. In the court of public opinion. They're judging her heavy. And I think even with this walt sound Waltz, as Andrew would say sound, is that there are folks who are saying that he went too far. They're a journalists saying that he went too far, as if they don't realize that the opposition is calling Kamala Harriet Harris not black. They're saying that she doesn't know if she's Indian or black. And so when you're up against opposition like that, I wonder what is fair game? Like why does it have to be that Democrats go high when they're like lo lo lo to the floor, like literally the basement, literally the core of the earth, and so I think he's got a meet the opposition where they are. So I'm looking forward to the fight in him. Some of the concerns I initially had were Walls looks older, significantly older, and we just were kind of shifting away from that ticket. He happens to only be six months older than Kamala Harris. I was worried about him being not particularly well known and therefore not really vetted in the press. People are like, oh, well, Eric Holder is running the VET team. That is great. That's not what I mean I'm talking about when the stories come out about anything about his background, from DUIs to you know what Fox News does about him changing the Minnesota flag to look more like the Somalia flag, the very fact that he comes from Minnesota would it, which is generally pretty liberal. And the fact moreover that his politics have shifted substantially since he since he was in Congress. When Walls was representing a very rural area of Minnesota, he was far more conservative based on the district that he served. I think there have been a lot of folks who've said, listen, this is someone who represents what evolution should look like in the fact that he can say this is where I was, this is why it was wrong, and this is why I've shifted, particularly around his politics with the NRA, which I know you would appreciate deeply, Andrew giving your own battles with the NRA. So those are the kinds of things that stand out for me. I think that there's no perfect candidate because there's no perfect human being.
Speaker 1: So to be honest with you all, I'm excited that she picked Governor Tim Walls, but in transparency, she could have named Ronald McDonald as her man. I think when you look at the other side of what's happening over there, like, spare me the concerns about anybody she was going to name, and I don't the right is always going to pick some random, nefarious thing that they could pounce on. I don't ever want us to make decisions on what the right might say about a candidate. The fact is that this man is a veteran who starved to the Army National Guard. He's a former high school social studies teacher. He's a former football coach. He is a hunter, which, obviously, as an animal lover, I don't love that he's a gun owner. He won a district that Donald Trump also won a House seat that was carried by Trump, and so to me, those things matter, and I trust the federal government's vetting system, and most importantly, I trust Vice President Harris and her instincts. There was reporting according to The New York Times, that Governor Shapiro was very ambitious. He wanted to know about what his role would be and he had to reportedly he had to soul service to see if he could serve as a number two, and that Governor Wall said, I'm here to do whatever I can for the team. There is a show, Veep, that has come into the spotlight that I think of all the shows from West Wing to all the shows that have tried to parody DC or talk about what happens in DC, I have to say Veep was the most accurate. And there were so many and she was going through this. The vice president who ascends to the presidents, he was going through this. There were so many of these interviews where the number two was very ambitious, and it was clear that they had their own political aspirations. And I don't know if ambition is what you want in your number two you need somebody who's going to support you. And according to the vetting team, which included former Congressman Sedjah Richmond Senator Captain Cortez Mastow out of Nevada, angel already mentioned that former Attorney General Nevada.
Speaker 4: Thank you, I all forgive me Nevada.
Speaker 1: I always say that, but they had You know, angel I already mentioned that former Attorney General Eric Holder was leading the vet you know, it came down to her gut. And so I think I'm going to trust the Vice President's gut because she has to work the closest with him, and given what we're facing in this country, I mean, my thought is, let's get behind whoever she picks, and what do we have to do to push her over the line. Now when it comes to how he will be received, what's this rollout going to look like? Of Tuesday of this week, they made their debut in Philadelphia, crucial city to the battleground state of Pennsylvania. I thought it couldn't have gone better. To the point about the couch, I thought I grew completely echo Angela's thoughts, like it's ridiculous that we are going to compare you know, this kind of the throwaway, throw away laugh line about the couch. And just as background for those of you who may not know, there was somebody who tweeted that in the book He'll Billy elegy jd Vance said that he had sex with the couch, which essentially like he the The alleged passage was that he like put his hands together and and and gyrated hunch as we would say with this couch. Now, the person later said they they added a page number and everything, and the person later said, yeah, guys, I was just making that up like it wasn't true, but so many people consumed it and thought it was real that then there became another rumor that the publisher pulled it. None of this was true, but it became so public that even the AP wrote about it, and they later took the story down because it didn't meet their editorial standards, which I agree with. They probably shouldn't have done that, but it became like this urban legend. We can say here on Natalean Pount, we obviously don't want to traffic in disinformation.
Speaker 4: This did not happen.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's quite real as far as we know, well, because I have not heard Dad E. Vance say this didn't happen, but we can't say that it was not in the book.
Speaker 4: He'll Billy Elegy Tiffany.
Speaker 3: The reason why I took off is because it's so believable.
Speaker 1: The like, so let me just finish this point. Is because I believable in the since that yes, they are weird. I don't know that it's believable that he had sex with the couch. Here's my challenge with this, for all the journalists who are coming out like, you know, dumbing their nose at you know, I feel like, hey, it's your job to say, hey, this is actually this did not happen. When he said that line, and people came on afterwards, as you know, the cable news panels do, and the chattering class like picks this apart. I did not hear a lot of people correct it. I had just heard people say, oh, what a great line about the couts. They neither explained it nor corrected it. That's a fail on your part, not the governor's part. He is a candidate, and if they're gonna throw, if they're gonna rib each other on things like this, then journalists have more of responsibility than to cover this like it's the Drake Kendrick Lamar beef like this is not sport for us. These politics and policies have a dire consequence to the people who are on the receiving end of it. And I think the reason why you have so many cable news panels just kind of parse over this kind of thing and move past it and have all this inside baseball talk is because they're rarely impacted by this. We're looking at this like, how is this going to impact my mom's medicaid? How is this going to impact my health insurance? How is this going to impact my mortgage? How was just going to impact where my kids go to school? And so because they're failing at their job in terms of fact checking and deciding what's a joke and what's real and what's reality, and what's something to laugh about on what's not, I just think it's quite hypocriticalism to criticize Governor Walls, or as my people say, the community says Governor waltz Andrew.
Speaker 4: Before you chiming here, I just wanted to flag one thing that Tip rays, and that is around fact checking. The nerve of journalists to go on and want to fact check a campaign trail speech, particularly a rollout, which is very clearly a joke. The audience is roaring his laughter. But you won't fact check a debate, thank you, But you won't fact check an interview, like the only fact checker that Donald Trump had the NABJ was Rachel Scott last week. Like, I don't know what we're talking about here, So that is super super frustrating to me that you think that it is his obligation to say because the journalists want me to weigh in here, let me just say that this is not true. But it is a joke that is so dumb. So I just want to say that I got point about ambition, but I'm away till my brother weiys in.
Speaker 3: No, I just quickly say, look, I listened to this. I was. I was enraptured yesterday by all of the dynamics on Tuesday, by all the dynamics that they present. And he was not my choice for her for her veep. But after seeing him, I'm on board. I mean, he quickly became my choice. It then made complete in total sense. While he was selected as far as as I'm concerned, and again I don't I'm probably similar to you anybody who's vice president probably is ambitious. But what Walls did is he went and he said, I have no aspirations to anything higher than to be in service to you as your vice president. And I think if you're Kamala Harrison, you're thinking about the work that lay ahead. You want somebody who's focused principally on that and I and I get that. And I still believe that Shapiro has not just ambitions, but I believe that time will will prove him to be a serious, serious national player on the national scale. And I believe one day as president of the United States, his time will come. But Walls he has had, he has had growth and belief system. But before he was ever being measured on how he voted, on what stance he took when he was just a teacher, not just but a teacher, when he was a coach, a national championship winning football coach, when it was not popular to the LGBT in this country and in his state, decided symbolically what it meant, but also what it meant for him to stand in the gap for those who are being marginalized and targeted and said, you know what, I'll serve as the gay straight alliance staff faculty advisor to this group, and to have the football coach take on that role, y'all know what that represents. You know what it means, and I can only imagine what it meant to those young people who who identified as such and whose lives may have been saved by him choosing to stand in the gap. Are those are the parts of his contributions to society that are not going to show up in a congressional scorecard. But it tells the story of a man. It tells the story of where his heart is, where his ethics lie, and and and frankly, the kind of man that he is, and and I respect that. I think that he will give Kamala everything that she needs, including his experience on the heel. Well, I think add just additional support to her moving a congressional or a legislative agenda through Congress, which as we all know, is not the easiest thing to do. And finally, y'all, I'll just say I did listen to that speech and had no clue what the couch reference was at all. When Jay came home that night, she was like, hey, I already mentioned the couch. I was like, yeah, I guess the guy's lazy. I was just like, you haven't heard him, Like, what are you talking about? And so she pulls up the social media and I look at the thing. I'm like, oh, okay, But but I tell you it endured me even further. To this man. There is no measuring these two tickets on the same scale. They're not in the same universe. They're just not in the same universe. And so I, of course, like you both rebuke this whole fact checking. I have to tell you many of us probably watched it without familiarity to the reference, just thought he was being a hokey, you know kind of guy. But I'm in Harris Walls.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll say one quick thing, just because Angela brought this up seeing a fact checking, I do want to point out that what Angela referenced when she said do UIs it was one dui that Governor Walls got in nineteen ninety five when he was thirty one, when he was driving significantly over the speed limit. I'm not dismissing it or trivializing it. I just want our viewers to understand what Angela was referencing. We're coming up on a heartbreak, but Angela. I know you wanted to talk about Shapiro, so I'll let you do that and then you take us to break.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't want to. I want to say Shapiro did a great job at the rally saying that he was going to support this ticket. I do think that we should talk about ambition on the other side of the break, and just because I know you would have done this. Tip is our resident sports commentator and analysts. Tim Walls has never won a national championship, but he did win a state championship at the FOP touch so what that says he will take that touchdown to the break.
Speaker 7: I want to talk about Tim Walls because Philly, in a minute, he's going to come out here, and I want you to give him.
Speaker 3: A whole lot of luck.
Speaker 7: Tim Walls is a great man. Tim Walls is an outstanding governor. Tim Walls is a teacher. Tim Walls say guardsman. Tim Walls is a great patriot here and I'll tell you what else. I'll tell you what else. Tim Walls is a dear friend. And I want you to know LORI and I feel blessed to have Tim and Gwen in our lives. They are outstanding public servants. And I can't wait for you, Philly, the rest of this Commonwealth and our entire country to get the chance to know the Walls is the next vice president and second lady of this nation.
Speaker 3: Will should be the first lady, since Doug would be the.
Speaker 4: First question.
Speaker 1: Lady because Doug is the first gentleman. Well, second, he wasn't the first and second, So I think she's the first lady, But what a time point.
Speaker 4: To second lady. She's still a seculating But I just want to say that was none other than Josh Obama or Barack Shapiro that you just heard from, and I think that it is phenomenal that he is. He reminds me a lot of Barack Obama. There's been a lot of jokes about this, but his cadence is like absolutely borrowed from our residential black preacher or Barack Obama. They might, yeah, he might have borrowed it. He definitely brought it. So yeah, maybe I could just say thank you Jeremiah. Right regardless, it was an amazing intro. And I think as much as we talk about ambition and pooh pooh it, I think, just like we say with women, ambition is not a dirty word. And I think that when you look at the trajectory of most of our vps, they ran against the president first, at least in recent history. I don't think that's been true forever, but it's in recent history. Kamala Harris was running against Joe Biden. O'biden was running against Barack Obama, so let's be clear about that. I think the other thing that it's important to note is it actually worries me. Some of the things that have been said is that Tim Walls doesn't want to be president. He's not desiring to be president. Maybe they mean right now, but I want to make sure that whomever is in that second seat is ready on day one if anything happened. So I don't think there's anything wrong with ambition. I think blind ambition is dangerous, but I don't think that that's what we're dealing with here. A lot's been said about Josh Shapiro, but I just agree with Andrew that he definitely has the trajectory to one day become president. He is truly a star. He has it. We know what that it is. Some musicable minds disagree, but I think he has it.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: So that's what I want to say about that.
Speaker 3: Please, really, I love it. The last point I just want to make isn't it isn't it? I don't know if y'all perceive this as well, but I got the feeling that Walls could say some things that one Vice President Harris would never say. You could see her behind him sort of, you know, in the picture frame with some of his comments. But what he offers her is the ability for him to really go toe to toe back and forth with Dvance and Trump on their level, should he choose to go there and frankly not have the scourge and scorn of the media and quite frankly the white majority saying that she's out of place, out of pocket to all the other things that she gets. And I guess when I'm saying, if I had to abbreviate, it would be he brings a white male's privilege and all that comes with it to the ticket, and I believe that it will be extended as leverage when necessary to give her the cover that she needs for some of the outrageous crap that we already know has come and will continue to come her way.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but he started, Yeah, exactly I mean, I think when I look at the ticket with Vice President Harris and Governor Walls, that you really start to see a divide in these two tickets.
Speaker 4: With with Trump and JD.
Speaker 1: Vans, The question is will they ever meet on the debate stage. Now, you know, Trump has previously pulled out just this week, now he's teasing a debate. He was on Fox News Wednesday morning saying, you know, we're going to debate very soon. It's going to be announced very.
Speaker 3: Soon as one with Biden.
Speaker 1: Now to know what he has no no, no no on his on which you know is not even worth mentioning, to be honest, But it doesn't matter. He didn't say anything. So next, But I think that is the question though, And I you know Trump had countered saying I would love to debate Vice President Harrison on Fox News with a live audience. I I know we disagree here. I do not want a live audience to me put Vice President Harris and let her square against Donald Trump. I don't need comments from the peanut gallery. I don't need a bunch of cheers. Let these two people put forth their vision before the country, before the viewing audience at home, because then you'll get to hear substance over the kabuki theater that we have become so used to with Donald Trump. And then, for the first freaking time this cycle, maybe the journalists can do their jobs and look at some of the crazy, unhinged, weird stuff that Donald Trump says, because before they were so focused on Biden that we just bypassed all the crazy, out there stuff that Donald Trump was saying. I also think it would be a good distinction to have between JD. Vance and Governor Walls, like, let these two gentlemen go out there and debate. I surmise we will not see this debate happen. You know, we'll see I think Donald Trump is he's great at show business and that's what he does. His first job in government was as president of the United States, and so he he has governed as somebody who's a reality TV star. So this kind of teasing like, oh well, we'll have a debate, we're gonna announce it very soon. Put up or shut up, you know, get out there and say something and square off against this woman who he's clearly afraid of. He's terrified he is, and I love I said this last week that he didn't know she was sixty. It's like, yeah, you go get your ass kicked by this sixty year old woman. And he I think he just doesn't want to see it happen. But I do think that he'll be obnoxious. He'll talk over her. He but he cannot beat her on the substance when.
Speaker 4: He stood behind Hillary. Yes, it's such a great but yeah, I don't. If I think you you got some high, tall hopes for these moderators, if the if the Presidential Commission on Debate moderators, Oh okay, if you're saying that we're gonna finally hear where Trump weird says weird, they're not gonna fact check it. I don't really know if it matters.
Speaker 1: It is home watching well hear because without them saying, oh my god, Biden looks so old, it's like they didn't even focus on what Donald Trump was saying.
Speaker 4: Now, I understand what you're saying. I just I think an audience don't hurt. It didn't help last time not having one.
Speaker 3: So I think she will. I think she will thrive in either environment. I think an audience for him will will will conjure the whole shadowy Hillary thing. It will cause him to act out. He's like an actor. He needs an audience and he performs you know, you know, three year old kid. No offense to three year olds. But that's what the that's what the that's what we're dealing with. But the worst part about this, y'all, and I know y'all know it for yourselves, is there is no way Donald Trump is going to receive an iota a scrutiny for any of the outrage that that that that comes out of his mouth. And JD. Vance thought that that same grace was going to inure to him, and it isn't. It stops with Trump, and now he's being he's being leveled at the scale that politicians generally are at this stage of the game. Now, Tiffany, I know that we've been focused a lot domestically, but there's some things internationally going on that undoubtedly is going to have impact, and it has already begun to have impact. I would argue, yeah, on domestic politics, what's up?
Speaker 4: Well, I kind of want.
Speaker 1: You guys opinion on this because so something that we don't talk about a lot. There's been whispers about it in the mainstream media and it should let you know how big it is that they can crack open the echo chambers. But this whole Iran, Israel Hamas has balat war. I mean, it is quite literally bubbling up, and the United States is we are involved, and so I think at this point it's not a question of if, but when our involvement will escalate. I want you all to take a listen to where we are right now in terms of US support and what's happening there. Take a listen to this sound, and then I'll give you more context.
Speaker 8: On the other side, more and more US forces are heading to the Middle East, the Pentagon sending the aircraft carrier the USS Abraham Lincoln, several cruisers, several destroyers, as well as an additional squadron of fighter jets. The White House says the goal of these forces is to try to deter Iran from carrying out an attack in the first place. I gotta say both US and Israeli officials are pessimistic that that is going to work. They expect that this attack is coming, and it is now just a question of when and if it does. Those American forces will be called upon to try to intercept incoming Iranian missiles and drones, much as they were back in April when American troops helped shoot down that wave of three hundred missiles and drones fired by Iran towards Israel.
Speaker 1: So the context here is there's a conflict, obviously, as you all know, between Israel and Iran, and now it's you know, Iran's proxies, that's Hamas has Ala, the hooties, and this is going to eventually escalate into a full home skie. This war is one that Israel cannot fight alone, and so what will they do? Look to Big Brother of the United States to see, one how we're going to fund this war and two if we'll get involved. I suspect I surmise that bb netan Yahoo is almost giddy with the anticipation of this. I think he is almost daring Iran to do something because it will force the United States hand. Now President Biden, who is still the commander in chief, it will be up to him how we engage in this war, at least until January. My curiosity about this is should this continue to escalate, and by all indications it will will, If we are engaged in conflict, what impact will that have on this election. Given the historic nature of this candidate, we have never before had a female commander in chief. We did briefly in November twenty twenty one when President Biden had to go under and he briefly release command to then Vice President Harris. That was the first time in American history that there was a female commander in chief. I wonder what impact this will have on those hardcore military people who've been swayed and said, well, we know we don't want Donald Trump, but yes, we'll be willing.
Speaker 4: To vote for her.
Speaker 1: Will people still stand behind her? What impact will that have? I hope, you know, I think I know how the community will move. I wonder how people outside the community will move there. In recent history, there's not been that many female heads of state during War Golden mayear, of course, the Iron Lady. If you guys remember, I'm sure you do, Angela from your time on the hill. In twenty eleven, then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was pushing Obama to get aggressive in Libya. There is a president in South Korea whose name is escaping me.
Speaker 4: It was Park High.
Speaker 1: I believe it is her name. Forgive me if I had that wrong, But she was like knuck if you bucked to North Korea. So there have been incidents of this. But I wonder is America ready for a female wartime president?
Speaker 3: What do y'all think you got? Angela? I defer to you, well, one they better be, because I think God willing and us working, it will be. I have to say, Vice President Kamala Harris is a different person as I see her present these last couple of weeks before the American people, and maybe not a different person. It could be a hearkening back to how she exhibited her leadership as an executive, as an attorney general. This is there is a woman who knows how to prosecute. She knows how to bring the case. She knows how to be strategic. She knows how to how do you say, calibrate and escalate and de escalate when necessary. She pulled California out of that settlement agreement with Jamie Diamond and all those you know, the big banks and ended up with a settlement on the side larger than all of the combined states you know together. Right? She strategically knew when and how to do that. And don't tell me money and warfare right?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: And its own you know in its own form, I think she is exhibiting the kind of very calculating and I mean that in a good way leadership and disposition as vice president. But I think it's coming into even additional focus in these past couple of weeks. I don't think we have anything to be doubtful about with her in that regard, and I think her vice president vice president vice presidential nominee Walls and his military experience will further buttress her here. And by the way, compare that to the other's ticket and there's none of it exists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that never served. We know that Jade vance is he did serve in the armed services. But Ange, I hear your point on the banks.
Speaker 4: And look.
Speaker 1: Another thing about this is while she's campaigning, she is getting briefed on this situation, and routinely Secretary of State Tony Wincoln came out that the White House is briefed on this.
Speaker 4: They were updated on Monday.
Speaker 1: But these escalating tensions, I think, are you know when you talk about October surprise, this could potentially be an October surprise. So I think we have to be ready to stand behind them one hundred toes down to back her.
Speaker 3: In this I was just gonna say. I know your question was about a female commander in chief, but I have to say, just in general, in this Middle Eastern conflict, which as you have rightly i think pointed out or assessed that we're on the road to escalation, that there will be retaliation. There's no doubt about it from the Iranian Iranian State, their proxies, you know, probably for sure. And I think the United States has made very clear by the triangulation of its assets, military assets, the deployment of additional military assets, not only for that. While we're saying determined deterrence, there's no doubt that the US military will respond to an attack on Israel at a time and a place and a method of its choosing. And it may not be broadcasts, but it will be impactful.
Speaker 1: And I think is a nuclear power for sure.
Speaker 3: It's a big difference. And the but I have to tell you that the real perpetrator here who really needs to be able to stand for account and unfortunately we won't be the ones to put him through it is bb net and Yahoo who took a provocative action with this in state Iranian assassination. He was in the middle of negotiating on behalf of these families who are fit to be tied as it relates to their loved loved ones who have for over three hundred days and almost a year been.
Speaker 4: Kept from them. Now, why you choose.
Speaker 3: Now to do what you could have done? You put bombs in a room allegedly where the man stays every time he's in the country.
Speaker 4: Literally provoking an escalation.
Speaker 3: It could have happened, and he knows the US commitment, forget who the president is, the US commitment at large to the Israeli state since the nineteen sixties is undeterred and we will be there. And so I just hate that this guy's able to force our hand on something like this and possibly have pretty impactful weight on the November election. I just hope people make the right choice and the right decision in this. And Angela, I just got to ask, while we talk internationally, we think it has no impact on what's happening domestically. We know that there have been elections and primary elections to cycle wherein the most well funded Israeli lobby A Path has been involved in many of the races for people who we know that we care about. It seats around the country. I'm curious to know, after we come back from this break, whether or not you derive any impacts on the American elections that have occurred this far and obviously in November. We'll get to your answer when we come back and break. Let's face some bills.
Speaker 4: Well, welcome back everyone. A good friend of ours, Corey Bush lost in her primary yesterday in Missouri's first congressional district, and it was to Wesley Bell, who has an interesting history with the black community in Saint Louis, particularly in Ferguson, and earlier this year, Wesley Bell made a call to Corey Bush that became a part of her campaign, where he assured her he would not be running against her in this election. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 3: Don't think that's always a second that desiccation. I'm telling me right now, I'm telling.
Speaker 8: People on my word, i am not running.
Speaker 4: As I don't think we need to hear another thing. Here's the thing, y'all. And we talked about this on our earlier production called tif Is Like that's all news, you know. Andrews like, yeah, it has been for me. This is a character issue. It is a horrible flaw of mine. I really want to believe people and take them at their word. So I'm just wondering what type of elected officials Wesley Bell will be if to his alleged friend and colleague and comrade Corey Bush, he made that type of promise, what type of elected official will he be? What type of public servant will he be to the citizens of Ferguson and to Saint Louis. We know what he's done as a prosecutor in that area. A lot of folks who look like us aren't particularly happy with his record. So I'd love to know what y'all think, or if we could just leave it right there.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think the big part about this is the role of that APAC plays in our politics. We saw what happened with Congressman Jamal Bowman in New York and this is now all you know, one of their other targeted races that she was a member of the quote unquote squad progressive people who spoke out against US and involvement in US backing of the conflict in Gaza and support of Israel, and so you know, it is definitely concerning when one entity and we talked about the Supreme Court case that allowed entities to pour this kind of money into campaigns. They essentially poured a million United Yeah citizens United the twenty ten Skota's case Supreme Court case. This is essentially allowed them to buy that seat. And we have to start shedding light on these types of things. We were looking at the election, the turnout results, and turnout was vismal. It wasn't very It wasn't an election that had a lot of participants in it. I don't know the potential incoming members should he go on to win in November. I don't know a lot about him. I did look in his background briefly and saw that he was a little too friendly for my comfort with Senator to Josh Hawley, Republican Trump sycophant in that neck.
Speaker 4: Of the woods.
Speaker 1: So to me, the best exposure, the best weapon rather is exposure. So I hope the people look at him like they're on the Apple team, you know, like you want to look at his background, what bills is he sponsoring, What is the work that he's doing. And I do want to say shout out to Congresswoman Corey Bush because she said all they did was cut the strings, you know, and now that she is somewhat unleashed that she will continue in her work and continue being a public servant. Right exactly exactly, but it says something about people who are willing to stand on business and stand on principle. And there have just been one too many people that I trust from that neighborhood who throw that into question for Wesley Bell. But if he is listening, he is welcome to come on Native Land Pod and defend his positions, because we certainly have quite a few questions for the brother.
Speaker 3: I want to say we did well.
Speaker 1: We knew guests when we were on live tours occasionally. So he's listening to DNC.
Speaker 4: Come see us. We're gonna talk more about that later.
Speaker 3: There it is, But.
Speaker 4: I wanted to flag too because I think this is significant and if it gets to kind of what you're talking about, it's not just the buying of elections, just when the buying of the elections is so outsized with our voter participation, and it's part of the reason why we work so hard to make sure that our NLP fam is engaged more than just listening to our podcast, but sending in questions, sending in comments, participating because our participation is our power. So in this election, for example, Wesley Bell won Saint Louis County, Cory Bush won Saint Louis City, so there's there is even a distinction there. And the total votes in Saint Louis County were seventy four thousand, six hundred and twenty seven The overall count for this full was one hundred and twenty three thousand, so far one hundred and twenty eight hundred and nineteen votes. That is just a fraction of the number of people they represent in this congressional district. We have to start showing up to vote our interests. There is just no other There's nothing that can supplant that. It doesn't matter how much money and entity spends. Yes, it is terrible that you can buy in and your money could very well mean that you win an election, But most importantly it is our participation. And so if you don't want someone to vote on your behalf with a check, if you don't want someone to vote on your behalf by showing up and electing someone that you don't support, who doesn't represent your interests, who has a platform that's not in alignment with your values, you have to show up to the polls. That's just the bottom line.
Speaker 3: The point is well made. And I would just say for those who are listening and saying, well, it's our fault of we don't show up. It's our fault if we don't. Some of the power of what it means to have. The kind of tranche of money that uh Corey Bush's opponent had was almost I have to believe almost all of it targeted negative ads to bring down her likability, her favorabilities, to put her in this dark, shadowy light. You know, y'all know the commercials with the ominous voice where everything the person's ever done in their lives has been to our detriment. They probably didn't mention Israel once in one of those ads. My guess is those ads went at the heart of who she was. And I'm only guessing because I haven't seen it. I wasn't there. I didn't observe the election, you know, in real time in her community. But but, but, but those negative ads have the effect of driving down turnout as well, and and and and and and to to to de lessen the power of money and politics, we have to do, as Angela and and and Tiffany and I often admonish, which is, you beat them by your participation, you beat them by show going up. They can spend all the money in the world, but guess who had the power the voters, the voters. So I just echoed that, Angela, I know you had something else to add them just quickly.
Speaker 4: They it was the United Democracy Project, which is a pro Israel pack, not a pack directly, but their political action committee, a super pack. Eight point five million dollars was spent to alist Corey Bush. And of course they spent fifteen million earlier this year.
Speaker 3: To somebody new. To divide that by the number of voters, right, that's right, got to tell that's it vote.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, But they absolutely focused on guys, and they focused on her voting against the infrastructure bill without context. And I think that is the other part, Like it is incumbent upon us to tell people the full story when we talk about again, folks who are our friends, folks who have been allies not just to this show, but to our values. I think it's really significant that we talk about these things.
Speaker 1: And money about said, you know, like, I know my right, they're donated to a presidential campaign this year for the first time, and I think when you brother, Yes, shout out to my brother, who's biggest fans of y'all's. But I think one thing, we've all worked on numerous campaigns in our lifetimes, and one thing I know, people are gonna max out to you. There is a certain group of people they just gonna max out because they're playing the safe, like, yup, here's the max.
Speaker 4: I've checked that box. When somebody sends you.
Speaker 1: A five dollar check or a twenty dollars check, maybe that can vote.
Speaker 4: That is a vote.
Speaker 1: That is somebody that's so dedicated to you that they willing to knock on doors. If they can't knock on doors, they're gonna make phone calls. If they can't make phone calls, they giving you their last few little pennies because they believe in you. So you know, those big checks don't always don't always do the trick.
Speaker 4: If we if we vote with our conviction.
Speaker 3: I remember in my primary, and Angela will remember this as well. You know, we were coming up last on fundraising of all six of my opponents, right, but I kept, I kept celebrating the numbers that we had the largest number of small donors of any any candidate at there at many intervals throughout and it was exactly what you said. When I saw that five dollars and that two dollars fifty cent on rotation coming through it, it just it puffed me up in a different kind of way. Now, I would have loved that five million and that five thousand check or whatever, but it was that individual that showed me that not only were they investing, that had skin in the game, not only were they going to show up and vote, but they were bringing some folks with them. That's how dedicated you are when you are on a rotational gift to somebody at five dollars, you know, a sweep every other every other week. I mean, that's big.
Speaker 1: Here's the question, though, because I do like, so there's apathy out there right there. Certainly was before Vice President Harri's gotten the race. Now she's in the race, there seems to be some renewed enthusiasm among a lot of people, but there's still a significant level of apathy, Like even in this country, like a lot of people just don't participate in the process.
Speaker 4: What will it take for people.
Speaker 1: Because we've already seen the danger, you know, we've already said, oh, but you know, Trump is coming, and you know it's dangerous, and you know, we had to vote for democracy and all those things, and yeah, that will move some people. What moves the most people, though, is being inspired. You know when when President Obama ran, people were inspired. I knew a guy, a guy in my neighborhood, my old neighborhood.
Speaker 4: He it don't matter how well.
Speaker 1: He had a pit bull and he was like a quadriplegic and I used to walk his pit bull for him, but he was just you know, he has some characters around his house all the time. And one of the dudes was there and most of the people there had served jail time before prison time. To be precise, they had served prison time.
Speaker 3: I knew all that without you saying, you.
Speaker 1: Know, but you know, for the people who may not know, I used to go over there and you know, say what's up to them and chill with them sometimes, especially when I was.
Speaker 4: Dropping off the dog.
Speaker 1: But the one dude told me that in two thousand and eight there was a warrant out for his duress and he knew that at some point they were going to catch up with him, and he didn't know how voting worked. He's like, if I show up to vote, like, will something be triggered that I'm going to go to jail. So on election Day, he packed up all his stuff and like treated it like he would not come back home because he wanted his last action to be casting a ballot for President Barack Obama. He was willing to risk jail time to make sure that he showed up and cast a ballot for this man.
Speaker 4: I have not seen that level.
Speaker 1: Of inspiration in a long time, and so I think what that says is when you move with conviction, when you in the spirit of you know, Congressman Jamal Bowman, Congressman Corey Bush, when you move and thinking about the next generation and not the next election, When you move with your principles and your morals and your values, perhaps you are the person to inspire somebody who looks like you, who don't look like you, somebody who sees themselves in you. And I don't know how we do that at the local, state, and federal level, but that's what it takes. That's what it takes to get people to like, get off Instagram and you know, stop looking at what celebrities doing. What like, how can you be as excited about what's happening in politics that definitely has a direct impact on your life, not who wore what on the red carpet. I don't know how to do it. And it's no shade because they people tell me you can't shame people into voting, You can't judge people into participating. Andrew, you inspire people, you know, like people. Even now, people are like, Andrew, what are you doing? Get back in the game. When we were at Essence, all the people were yelling, we voted for you, we miss you, and the mainstream media overlooked you completely. But you inspired a generation and people we are still inspire. So I don't know. I don't know how we do it, but it's next.
Speaker 3: You know, it exists in so many more places than we get to high Like I think about some of the happy warriors that I know, because I kept thinking of Tim Walls as a happy warrior. You know, he's willing to take the fight, but he's gonna smile all the way through it. And then I thought, am I buying into like the sort of the white you know mentality of that's innocent and if you were black, you couldn't could get off with that. Then I started thinking literally writing down black electeds who I thought disposition was sort of a happy fighter. They went joyously into the fight because they had purpose to what it was that they were doing. And I think I do think those people exist. But we have to be the last ones, the absolute last ones to give up on us. Everybody else is going to they would count us out. I didn't have a goddang poll leading the entire time and came in the weekend before the election that put me in fifth out of five people, but by god, one but two. But people, people making the choice to get up go out there, know that it's the one thing that you and the millionaire share in common, that one vote. And that's why I keep saying, we get these questions of what celebrities are doing and what concerts could be had to move people. There is no more powerful player to move people than you. Then you. That's why we keep saying A ride with five and y'all, this this is going to be the time to do it. If there ever was one, This is going to be the time to do it. But but let me just share and I'm going to toss it to Angela and introduce this. They're coming with guns blazing. And I don't mean that literally. I mean if it.
Speaker 4: Is that serious, it is that serious.
Speaker 3: But I'm telling you these folks have plotted and planned over the last four years to overtake at the local level, intimidate, suppress, do whatever it is that they need to do to arrest democracy from the rest of us. When they get desperate, it gets dangerous for all the rest of us. And right now I can tell by the way Trump and this dude is comporting themselves they are running scared.
Speaker 4: They were scared, cornered, wounded animal.
Speaker 3: Come on. They have nothing to lose and if.
Speaker 4: Injury, we will misinformation on this everything to lose.
Speaker 3: He is running this race like his life depends on it, because it does. If he wins, all the criminality goes away. If he loses, he will be held to account and largely I believe, will lose his freedom for his remaining days on this earth. Should Kamala Harris win and he be held accountable for for what he's done. Angela, you've been reading about some of what's going on. Tell us what's what's up in Georgia as it relates to some of these schemes that the Republicans are undertaking.
Speaker 4: I sure will, and we'll do that right after this break and we'll say action. How about that?
Speaker 3: There it is.
Speaker 2: Welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 4: Just on Tuesday, Georgia's state Election board ruled that county election officials can make a reasonable a quote reasonable inquiry before certifying election results to the state, which means that they are gearing up for a fight this fall. What we know from the last election, the case that is before Fulton County's DA Fannie willis that has been put on pause for we don't know how long, perhaps indefinitely. This is that very thing. So Donald Trump is now trying to find a way through state electors, through local elected officials to ensure that he can question the legitimacy of an election by changing the rules ahead of time. They've been so caught up in distracting folks on air by saying that the Democrats have an undemocratic probut says that they threw Joe Biden off the ticket, all of these things, as if the ticket hasn't been Biden Harris since twenty twenty. She has every right now we talked about on this podcast that they would have thrown her off the ticket. Now we got a different type of undemocratic problem. She's on the ticket. This man is saying, when it is Kamala Harris versus Donald Trump in the election on November fifth, if Kamala Harris wins Georgia, this is just the first day we know about. There are other states coming. We're sure when Kamala Harris win, Kamala Harris wins in Georgia that county elected officials or county officials can say, we want to ensure that people actually cast these ballots, and we are second guessing this, and therefore we will not certify these election results until the reasonable inquiry has been fulfilled. Andrew, you know firsthand.
Speaker 1: Can I just really quickly before we move on, I just want to give a little context of this. So one Angela mentioned that it was the state election board. This is a Republican control old state election board. Two reasonable in career here. That is key because that is the point that they are trying to still post election chaos.
Speaker 4: Three.
Speaker 1: I think it is important every single time we talk about Georgia and the fuckurry that goes on there, that we remind people that this is the state where Donald Trump placed the call and asked Republican election officials to find him eleven thousand votes. The media where they trying precisely, I think it is the media praise those election officials with not doing that, as though they get credit for doing what they were supposed to do. And I thought it was inappropriate to praise them because those same people were a part of a party that has practiced voter suppression in Georgia four years. Angela said, is not just Georgia. This is right, and we don't have to wait for the other states to come. It is happening right now in Arizona. Conservatives right now are targeting the state's election manual with several lawsuits happening right now in Arizona. In Nevada, Nevada, as I'm supposed to say, an official in the state's second largest county there it has refused to certify election just because they didn't like the results, and so now they're in battled in a lawsuit. Since twenty twenty, members of state and local election boards have challenged not certifying elections more than twenty times. This is across eight states. And this is all according to Protect Democracy, which is a non partisan group that tracks these things. During the twenty twenty two midterms, there were plenty of conservative and rural communities that tried to hold up state election results citing the same debunked voter fraud claims that Donald Trump has. This is concerning in Georgia because they have literally sent people to jail over these things, which I've talked about the Putnam ten here before. The Republican governor that Brian Kemp, who Donald Trump attacks all the time, is if you google him in voter suppression.
Speaker 4: He is the key of it.
Speaker 1: He has literally weaponized the GBI, the Georgia Bureau of Investigations, targeting people who do this kind of thing. So they're controlling the field, they're controlling the rules, they're controlling the play. Georgia is now officially a purple state. So this is something that we should be terribly concerned about. But for all my ata lens, you'll appreciate this. It won't be over to that fat girl indicator saying, so we got a battle.
Speaker 3: On our hands. Greater indicator that is right.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Marriyettaway is better but all good, it's all good.
Speaker 3: You call it about well, answer the tiff, We're not the only ones concerned. Our listeners are concerned too. Let me talk to this question and we'll pick up on the other side. High Native Limbpod.
Speaker 4: I'm a leader from Dallas, Texas.
Speaker 9: I absolutely love the pod and have shared it with everybody I know throughout the Midwest and several counties, like seventy of them, Republicans have a plan to refuse to certify election results, thereby impacting the ability of that state to certify their state results. What can we, as the voting public do to expose and pressure those local officials aka conspirators to stop that nonsense in its tracks if they try it?
Speaker 3: Thanks, blessings, I love that, and blessings right back at you. Such a sophasiated question, and y'all we were barking up this tree before going to the question, it's important to know I want to assuage some concern and then I'll get to the recommendation, which is every state has timelines around which local, municipal and county level election results must be certified. It's usually within three days after the election has taken place summer five, but you can refer to your local and your state statues to learn what that is. After that point, there is then a state deadline by which certification must be had in all the counties in the state. If those certifications are not had in those counties and those elected officials refuse to do it, our jurisprudence system has a history of removing those elected officials who refuse to certify after being mandated to do so by the court and replacing them with individuals who will then certify those election results. Then there is the time out at which the state must certify in time for the Electoral College to convene, and then those votes be transferred to Congress, which must happen by a date certain for Congress and then account those electoral votes and declare the ultimate winner. Why do I go through that? I go through that because there are a lot of stages to this thing. And what Donald Trump and his sicophants have done in standing up legal organizations around the country to pursue this tactic is to build in the American people the belief that there is true fraud in the system. If you disagree with the outcome, it must mean that something fraudulent has happened in the system. I saw this firsthand in Florida during the two thousand election when they bust in congressional staffers on the Republican side and or Republican Conservative organizers from around the country into Broward County, Palm Beach County, Miami Dade County, having ruckus rallies in the lobbies of these supervisors of elections offices, which are largely held by Democrats who were elected in those counties, trying to basically intimidate them to do the job that they wanted them to do. In this case, they wanted them to stop counting so that the state deadline would hit for certification and any votes that are not counted by that point cannot be entered into the states or that county's tally right. They wanted to disrupt the system, and my bet is Trump is attempting to do the same thing by sowing these types of seeds. What can we do, great question. We can also activate at the local level. Most county elections offices are staffed by local volunteers, retirees, people who take time off to work the elections, folks who stand as observers to make sure that there's not a voter intimidation or misinformation being given out to voters. That is you all. If you have not already and you believe that you may have the time, please please please within your own cities and counties, figure out how you get access to the training. Sign up as a volunteer. I know they pay stipends in many counties cities around the country, and volunteer. That way you get odds on the process. If you cannot do that. Number two, when they start showing up, we show up. In fact, let's get there before they get there, because the Shenanigans that they're going to attempt to undertake in Atlanta, in Fulton County, and Philadelphia and Arizona, in all parts of Texas, what they are going to attempt is to sow seeds of chaos, and they want their voices to be louder than theirs. Y'all were not having it. They're not stealing this thing. They're not taking this thing. There's no subterfuge, there's no theft whatsoever. We are going to certify that Kamala had and Governor Waltz, who would then be a vice president elect, are able to be duly sworn into office in January of twenty twenty five, because that will be the outcome that the American people chose through the electoral College and through the popular vote. I claim that thing right now in his name. And now y'all, we're about to move to our CTAs so that we can give the people back the rest of the day. Thank y'all for listening, Angela. What you got for your CTA.
Speaker 4: Well, we are getting ready for souls to the polls or as Andres has arrived with five and so our ask is that you all will participate in our very unconventional polling firm here at Native Lampid. We are going to be sending you questions that we would like for you to answer by Tuesday of every week starting with this week, and we are hoping that you are away and there will be simple yes or no questions because there's probably not a lot of space for comments. But if you have comments, you know that you can also still submit those via our Instagram dms every week along with those questions. So please participate in our poll and practice voting every Tuesday. This is not voter fraud. It's just a warm up exercise in case the Republicans come for you for trying to cast too many ballots.
Speaker 3: Okay, love it for what you got.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give a shout out to Shytown. If you are in Shytown, pull up. Native Lamppod is headed your way.
Speaker 4: We will be on the ground for the.
Speaker 1: DNC happening August nineteenth through the twenty second. I will be posting later on my Instagram Angelo's personal cell phone number so she can you can text her to find out where we'll be.
Speaker 4: I believe that's docking. Is that docxing? Are you doxing me?
Speaker 1: Just make sure you follow us on Instagram because we'll let you guys know where we're going to be. But we will be broadcasting from before. We won't be doing Gavel Gavel coverage, but we will be broadcasting from the DNC, so hopefully we'll get to see you all there every day every day at the DNC.
Speaker 4: Hopefully we'll get to see their shy Town.
Speaker 1: And one thing I will not be doing, no shade to the shy I will not be eating any of that nasty deep dish pizza that is.
Speaker 4: Andrew.
Speaker 3: For sure we're going for sure, I'll try it, but.
Speaker 4: You'll try it. A loaf of breadis.
Speaker 1: To us where we need to eat though, like, Okay, if you if you want us to try deep dish where da must leave a comment something, tell us what's.
Speaker 4: Going on, where we should go, and it just had a bigger pivot than Wallas's policy. Okay, tell me where to eat it because if y'all think it could change my mind and tell me tell me. Yeah, please convince tif. We love to see tip change your mind. It's awesome. We actually appreciate human evolution on this podcast.
Speaker 3: Well, y'all, I'll wrap it up. I simply sign and where Angela began, which is we are getting the muscle of voting through our weekly polling. We are getting that muscle worked up if you if you stay ready, you don't have to get ready. So we're trying to get you ready for election day November twenty twenty four, and we're going to kick that off with some meaningful polls every week. We just have to vote by Tuesday and it'll provide really y'all some information that will be helpful to us, real guiding for you know what's going on in the space. I want to thank you guys everybody out there for listening, for your support, for your love and as we approach Chicago, y'all, let us know what's going on. We trying to be somewhat out in these streets now. I say that as I commit to being in my hotel room asleep when I'm not working.
Speaker 4: But anyway, free time Andrew is not going to be in nobody's streets.
Speaker 3: I don't know who but.
Speaker 1: PM, but I'm gonna get on those streets in the afternoon, y'all, in the afternoon, going so hard after after so hard.
Speaker 4: I think that is a clear indication that a r P should be a hollow back act.
Speaker 3: Like y'all know Tiff and our preregistered preregistered.
Speaker 4: When I started getting mailed from them, but they were like, we see you go to bed at three am, so right after your supper, if.
Speaker 3: Y'all send me a discount call, that's all. Like I'm on about no, no, no, we were talking about the car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, do you know at this point this is officially an ad for them, so we should up one casual mention. Y'all did it eighteen times? You know?
Speaker 3: This is a great time.
Speaker 1: Can we welcome home, y'all?
Speaker 3: Oh, y'all, yeah, that's import day.
Speaker 4: How did we get here, y'all? Owing by so fast?
Speaker 1: Well it ain't over to that back girl Indicata saying we'll see y'all in.
Speaker 3: Before we end the show, I want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native Lamppod. Really, I mean it, guys, Just bring it home, y'all.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives. Attention to what the info and all of the latest regulum and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients. Reason for your choice is clear, so grateful it took to execute roads for serve, defend and protect the truth pat for Welcome.
Speaker 3: Home to all of the Natives. We thank you.
Speaker 4: Welcome y'all.
Speaker 3: Welcome. Native Lamppod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reasoned Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio Apple Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.