Speaker 1: Gangs, the chronic goals. It's not your average show. You're now tuned into the real.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the gainst the Chronicles podcast, the production of iHeart Radio and Black Effect podcast Network. Make sure you download the iHeart app and subscribe to Against the Chronicles. For my Apple users, hit the purple mic on your front screen subscribed Against the Chronicles to leave a five star rating. The comment, man, you know what, well, I wanted to talk about I was thinking about some stuff, right, and I said, man, it seemed like it's a lot of people that just love to get praised, like just for the wrong stuff though. Mmm, like you got casted and go to jail. Man, it's like they almost come home or want to be praised, you know, from going to prison right right, you got cast that might have been a long stretch and they come out and they kind of glorified almost like you know what, Well, actually it ain't never to cares to do the long stretch.
Speaker 1: He's always the dudes to go in to jail for a year or two.
Speaker 3: Well, ship should like that always been uh, you know that's been like to some dude, some niggas, that's the right of passage.
Speaker 1: You get me.
Speaker 3: So you got there, understand who. You gotta understand who who who it is. And like I said today, a lot of shit is a you know, a lot of shit is glorified to be you know, TVs and cameras make shit an extra nowadays.
Speaker 2: So well, well, think about this, bro, I would say, Look, Dirt is making some pretty good money for himself. Well, Dirk probably a millionaire. I'll be remiss to say without counting nobody's pockets. And I don't know what that man got more do I care, But I'm pretty sure he doing well for himself or for his family or whatever.
Speaker 4: Mmh.
Speaker 1: He just pretty much do all that shit away.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, sometimes, like I said, some dudes, you know, the image of.
Speaker 4: The neighborhood is everything.
Speaker 3: So or I guess some niggas think they just that you know, in with motherfuckers that.
Speaker 4: Niggers ain't gonna tail or snake.
Speaker 3: You know, we let by that cold, you get me, So it ain't nobody gonna tail or not.
Speaker 4: And you know we lived by the cold.
Speaker 2: Or think about it like this, whatever he did or didn't do, you know, that's what the court alogue decide.
Speaker 1: You know, we're not the judge and the jury. We don't know what happened, you know.
Speaker 2: I wish the brother the best, you know, but whatever it was that he did, it didn't bring his homeboy back. No, he just made matters worse.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: And I don't think people. I think people a lot of times. Man, I don't even want to say when people young. I just think people in general now just do dumb stuff. I think they really crash.
Speaker 1: Out, eh.
Speaker 2: And I don't think they really put too much thought into doing stuff before.
Speaker 3: They do it, right. That's that's that's the muddle nowadays. Like you said, ship a lot of youngsters, you know, don't know the way. And you know, money is a lot to motherfuckers. You feel me, You know, some niggas feel you know that that dollar sign is everything. So nigga offered me some shit, nigga, and I'm not, you know, And you know, you niggas is running around flossing and Rose Royces and chains and all that. And you're still a young nigga on the block, hungry shit. You know that little the little funds is gonna go go make you feel it's gonna go far, you know, But in the long run, you gonna be the motherfucker that they knocking on their door. And that's what I say. You gotta watch out what you do shit, you know, because the end of the day, if a nigga get caught up, he definitely gonna come pointing the finger, you feel me if he ain't in that position you're getting.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, bro, you jumped in the rep game real young, like you was a kid pretty much definitely did you have any pressure.
Speaker 1: From the neighborhood?
Speaker 2: What's the deal? It's your boy, big steal. On this episode Against the Chronicles podcast, me and MCA try to figure out why the average kid in the hood wants to be the neighborhood ghetto god despite the consequences of being death, prison, betrayal and all that other stuff. It's Against the Chronicles.
Speaker 3: Oh, you always have pressure to do shit, you get me. You know, you just have to, man, you know, you just out there, you know, hope hopefully you're able to, you know, make it through certain situations. But you know a lot of us, you know who get in those uh who get in those positions. You know, your face with a lot of adversity. Man, when you still claim in the neighborhood and you only come up and then, like I said, it's always gonna look. You know, the grass is greener on the other side to some niggas, you know, not knowing what struggles you're going through. You know, money woes, family taxes and all that shit or whatever. They don't look at that. So you know, when you get faced with that adversity, you have to you have to choose which route you want to take, because, like I said, at the end of the day, if something happens, nine times out of ten, niggas gonna come pointing the fingers and saying, hey, we got it from or they bought it, or he gave it or supplied it, or whooped, he whoomped. You know, and now you you were part of the conspiracy.
Speaker 2: You know what you said, the key word conspiracy. Do you think we put too much Do you think we give too much credit to neighborhood status today?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know what you know, the youngsters feel today or what the neighborhood codes may be today.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Uh, like I said, I'm always saying, and shit was different than what I went through as a teenager as far as neighborhood choices and whatever. But with with like's camera action. You feel me, it's glorified a thousand more percent.
Speaker 4: You get me.
Speaker 3: So that's what the youth and the young the young homies have to deal with.
Speaker 4: You get me.
Speaker 3: Nowadays, a nigga puts you on black nigga can't just say something about you. Nigga puts you on blasts on YouTube, on a channel. You know, anything, shit go far today, So it's kind of hard to deal.
Speaker 4: With that, especially when you only trying to come up for yourself.
Speaker 2: And I think, you know what, I think that makes it even worse. I think it's special. You know, we see it now even with the podcast stuff. You have a cat that's trying to ain't and it ain't just a say a part about it. It ain't just the young niggas, it's the old niggas too. They're trying to make a name for themselves. So they go say whatever, you know, whether it's true false, a little bit true. They don't care. They're trying to get They trying to get their name, you know, they're trying to get their name.
Speaker 1: Poper.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's the but see that's that that's the difference of what niggas felt as back in the days. As far as now, everything is commercialized and monetized right now. So you know, if you say it's to the fact of og in that position, then they strictly on.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm trying to get paid.
Speaker 3: You get me if I know stories or whatever or hear rumors or in your window, then you know, why not me?
Speaker 4: You feel me? Shit?
Speaker 3: Why not me?
Speaker 4: Makes some money off off the bullshit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think you gotta have some man, all money and good money, man, because the one thing about it you had to run across these people definitely.
Speaker 3: You know, you go put yourself in a position if that's where you want to go, So you have to be able to you know, you're trying to run it like a journalist or whatever they do.
Speaker 4: You know why.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm just delivering the questions, man, I'm just asking, you know, but with certain situations nowadays, you know, some people can't take criticism or whatever it might be. So you have to understand what you might be getting yourself into. You feel me, And you know what I decided man, that.
Speaker 2: I really don't want to be that dude man to put you know, don't get me wrong, I like joking and stuff, and you know, we do some stuff we got to report on. It's just big, right. But I decided, Man, I had this whole thing, like an hour loan, like interview man with this chick I ringing across. There's one of the girls that sueing Diddy right right, And I decided, Man, after a while, after just deliberating, Man, I don't want to be involved with this stuff because I don't know it's true, and it's.
Speaker 1: Not true exactly, you know what I'm saying. So I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't want to kick another brother when you because you can think about what's going on right now. Black men, especially men are some means and it got some success under they've built and got some ms under they built.
Speaker 1: It's like we under the tech right now. Bro.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have to be careful man.
Speaker 3: That's that's why I try to stay, you know, out of the line like a ship, because it's easy to get yourself in the bullshit that you can't get out. And I feel with this longevity that that a nigga been able to sustain and you know, I've had my you know, situations as a youth and whatever, and to be able to be around now and to observe and see shit and to be able to avoid a lot of drama. Man, you know who wants that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And even with us, man, we've been fortunate we don't have some of the biggest names on the show. We don't have people to get a lot of risk respect you know for us as well, We got respect for them.
Speaker 1: On the show, right. And I just thought about it.
Speaker 2: I said, man, you know what, Yeah, you might get some clicks and some likes and some views and stuff like that, but then what happens after that?
Speaker 3: Exactly, Shit, you put yourself in that position, like I said, and then then it goes to the factor where you have people starting to pick sides. And when you in this game of trying to stay relevant, you need everybody, you know what I'm saying, A part of the a part of the plan. And when you alienate motherfuckers because some people don't like bullshit, you get now you're having you got people picking and choosing which route they want to take as to you know, everybody can join along. And man, that shit is straight. Man, they're cool. Don't get in no bullshit. It's always straight narrow. They don't be trying to trick niggas up and all that as opposed to being a part of that. Now you lose in a certain motherfuckers. These niggas are messy and shit and they always on some bullshit bringing up cr You know, some people like it and some people don't. Like I said, now you got motherfuckers picking and choosing when you can just have everybody who just wants to join along because.
Speaker 4: The shit is a good situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, I think you can be an edgy dude man without without jumping in the pig p and so to speak, you feel me definitely, you know, without jumping in the pig pen. I just really think, man, Like I almost feel bad, Like I don't know how Derek Hills. He's not no little kid man, but I know his career was really like he was on the upswing. He has started doing bigger stuff, you know, I said, man, that's a shame. And you know how hard it heal was to sustain in the REP game.
Speaker 1: Bro. It's really hard to stay relevant, man, And you know when you get something like this happening, man, it's like a career killer.
Speaker 3: You know, like I said, we not knowing the outcome, you know, all kind of shit can happen because of what somebody says, so just gotta follow it. But just to be in that position you get me and having to be locked up and can't be with your kids and your usual program, it fuck shit up, you know what I'm saying. And just to have your name tied into the shit, you know, uh, kind of destroys what you know. Those corporate motherfuckers was, you know, was easing up wanting to deal with a motherfucker now you know, you get people to back off when you get into type of situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they gotta. They almost had to back off, bro. You gotta think about this, right. They got to back off, bro, because it's so much money at stake, right exactly, and they got so much other stuff going on there, and it's like it's hard to go back and get that situation. Even if you get proved to be innocent and get exonerated or whatever, you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't go back and get it no more. It's gone. Once it's gone, it's.
Speaker 3: Gone, exactly. There's no there's no let's go back, you know. R you said, when it's gone, it's gone, so uh, I know it's you know, it's it's it feels good to keep that, uh, that representation of of you know, being with the homies and you know, trying to uplift the homies and and and doing what you're supposed to. Well, you know, what's the code of what your neighborhood and what intends when you say you claiming and doing that lifestyle, and this is what it leads to, you know what I'm saying. Because if you say you in it too, if you know what I'm saying, if that's your position that I'm still with the niggas where I came up from and whatever, then you're gonna be expected to do certain shit.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like you look at the thing with we're young thug, the whole thing he got going on. This dude don't have been in trial man pretty much three four years right right, that's three or four years that he got gone. Man, no show money. And when you hot and you're getting that show money, it's like you almost changed up. So he missing out on millions of dollars right now, right and study paying more money.
Speaker 1: You know, you got to pay an attorney and stuff like that, right, So.
Speaker 3: He got huh, definitely you ain't you're not making too much money when you locked up, and then the little money you is making everything is doing because shit attorney fees be flipping. Okay, that shit was for the last six months. Now I need retain her for the next six months.
Speaker 2: Exactly, so you figure all this money. Man, you know he was he was doing. He was one of the ones that was doing good for himself too. You think about it now, and a lot of his homies is taking pleading deals because it's almost like, do I run the risk, even though I may be innocent. Do I run the risk and try to fight this thing, or do I just want to get it over with now? He almost better off taking the at this point a plea deal because he figured, for hell, if I can get nine years like the homie I don't know already done three or four, you feel, I mean, that's got five more left. I can get out and have a piece of career left over. I just think, because you know, that's one thing that I do know. I don't know so much about the dirt stuff.
Speaker 1: But they said, you know, thug was out there getting busy.
Speaker 3: Like I said, when you when you put yourself, when you put yourself in the positions and shit to where you know you want to be the forefront and you want to be real authentic with it. Shit, that's it. You put yourself in a position. Now now you got to ride that wave. You can't turn around and and start going, shit, I'm gonna take a plead.
Speaker 4: That's for the other motherfuckers to do.
Speaker 3: That's why he's still sitting there, you know what I'm saying, because he feel I'm gonna be the example to what's official.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for real, for real. And it's like, you got that choice to make, man, And really it's almost easier to make the first choice a to just say, you know what, man, I'm gonna keep my nose clean. But I just think, man, that the desire to have that hood fame almost have passed the rap shit.
Speaker 3: I mean, but something like I said, when you come from that lifestyle, it is more desirable sometime, you know what I'm saying, to be more respected in the hood, and then you know, fuck this rap shit.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Uh, the real shit is where the niggas come from, and that's where you get respected.
Speaker 4: You feel me.
Speaker 3: So a lot of niggas who walk that lifestyle. Like I said back in the days, that's the right, a right of passage for some niggas, going to prison, doing your couple of years, coming back to the hood with them stripes on your motherfucking chest.
Speaker 4: You feel me?
Speaker 2: Now, let me ask you this eight when you was a young dude, because because you know, you want them dudes that don't been fortunate man stood test of time, so to speak. Right, do you think it was a time when you was a youngin that being from Tragon you meant more to you than being MC eight.
Speaker 3: I mean definitely. I mean shit, I didn't. I didn't, like I said, I didn't really glorify the MC eight ship. It felt, you know, niggas was going around the world and the country and doing all that shit. But it was better to come back home and ride the streets of Counting and be recognized by the niggas on the block and people in the city. You feel me, That felt more, You know, that felt like you had you, you had represented. You know what I'm saying, And that's that was always first with a motherfucker that I'm representing the city, fuck you know, everywhere else. For the fact that I get to go around and people know that I'm from Compton and I'm still in the city and representing, So yeah to some people. You know when you get into that mind state. Definitely for some niggas who claim in the neighborhood, damn right, did.
Speaker 2: The Press river become like a headache because you know, you got people even with me, even with this, we don't maturity.
Speaker 3: You get me, like I said, I used to be the same like some of the niggas are today. You can't tell a motherfucker nothing. It's the neighborhood, it's the city where we're from. It's about nothing else. But then as more as you mature and you see life and you go around and you do other things, and you know, you start getting cool with niggas you was beefing with and all that, you start seeing that there's more to life than certain shit. Now you saying that you would trade it for anything, but just the fact that I could have you know, it could have been different. But you have to go through those motherfucking situations and those trials and tribulations, especially when you grow up in certain in areas. You get me like, had you grown up in a different environment than who knows what the outcome may be there might not have been an MC eight if the situation was different. But because of what I lived and what I seen and experienced as a young kid growing up in Compton, then you know that the product is what produced.
Speaker 2: You gotta think about this or right, we only got like as you get older, you start seeing, man at time just go fast as hell, right, so we only have our youth for like this long right, and when you look back, I even think about some of the stuff that I did. Right now, I say, man, you know what, I kind of wasted time a little bit. I wasted a little bit of time. And I think as you get older, you start being a little bit more ingreedy with your time. Right, You don't want to get caught up in no dumb shit. You don't want to. You know certain people that you even people you got love for. You may say, you know what, I really ain't got no time to hang out with so and so because he you know, this is what he owned.
Speaker 1: I'm not into that no more. You feel me exactly?
Speaker 2: I think definitely, Man, you for sure have to make wire's choices because the time just goes so fast.
Speaker 1: Man, Like I remember when I remember when.
Speaker 2: I remember when me and the homie was serving right, and I remember when he got locked up the last the next time I saw him, we was prone ass.
Speaker 1: Men, dog right.
Speaker 4: I mean it goes quick.
Speaker 3: You give me, the years start flying by and you start realizing, like, damn, you give me, I wasted a lot of time, and then there was a lot of shit you probably wish you could have accomplished that. You know, I was fucking up in a lot of bullshit, but I didn't know anything because I didn't have a guidance of knowing or you know, once I got a family and got older and seeing things differently, you feel me because.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you the tightest stuff we can do, man, is like really we need to start honoring cast it and nothing that. I don't never want nobody to give me praise to being a father because that's what I'm supposed to be doing. We're supposed to be fathers to our kids and do the right thing right. But I think that's the thing we need to really start, like give another brother's props on man, taking care of your family. That's that's real g ship right there. Dogs taking care of your family and making sure they don't your sons don't come up in the same situations you when you know you came you might have went through.
Speaker 3: Right, well, you know that that be that's supposed to be the goal, right, Don't let you you know, don't let your your your your fucking don't let your offspring go through you know, the terrible situation because you know, let's just face it, us, my our generation growing up, we had a little hard you feel me, let's not It wasn't easy growing up as a kid, and you probably figured like, damn, life ain't gonna never get better, you know, living in Cleveland, I mean living in Ohio, you know, me living in you know, poverty in the ghetto and counting. There was probably times to where you just was like, this is this is life?
Speaker 1: Right? We got me as gonna get out of there. At one point.
Speaker 3: Exactly like I don't know what ambitions you had or what I don't know, but before all those dreams and ambitions, it was shit.
Speaker 4: This is what's this is what's going down.
Speaker 1: I'll be real with you, bro. I had dreams and ambitious men, but that stuff seems so far away. Man.
Speaker 2: I was trying to just get through the day where I was at you feel what I'm saying, Like I would have like dreams sometimes to think about like man and my dreams is just so basic, even as basically as I want.
Speaker 3: To create without no roaches or no rets, right, I mean, like I said, a kid, a kid with dreams, those eight nine, ten years year old, eleven twelve. Like it was times where you was like, nigga, this is this is what this is what's finna be life?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Yet your dad went to work and whatever, or your mom's did whatever.
Speaker 4: We didn't have the best car or the best place.
Speaker 3: And you know, and you know old food was whatever, and but you didn't complain because she was like, nigga, this is what's this is what's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want to know the crazy part about that stuff? Man?
Speaker 2: I remember I used to be feeling embarrassed around the homies, Like if my mom came to pick the nigga up in the bucket or whatever dog, and you think about it, they got the same shit that you got.
Speaker 1: It you embarrassed, Like what is you embarrassed? I remember my MoMA. You remember them gremlins.
Speaker 2: Yep, my mama had a gremlin. That mug was purple dog, and she would come and pick me up. Right now, I remember somebody had to. I remember I got in a car trying to drive the car and back the car the driveway and tore the door off the thing. Right, So, my pops had put some plastic man on the motherfucker and.
Speaker 1: Putting some bricks on top of it. Moms are pulled to the bus stop talking about she gonna pick me up from schools, but the blowing niggas on the bus looking they climb this shit. Man, I'm like, damn, Mama, why you pick me up in that piece of shit? But that was what it was, though, Bro. I looked back at it now and think about it. Man, what was I trying to front for them dudes? For them niggas didn't have shit either. They didn't have a motherfucking thing. But that's that's just what it was.
Speaker 3: You just felt like you had a little bit under it than everybody not knowing shit. Their motherfucker's struggling, just like they live around the corner. Shit, you feel it around the corner for real.
Speaker 2: And I remember, you know if the homies come over, Dog, you was hoping the ropes didn't come out of a wreck don't run across the floor. You feel what I mean, but you go over they crib. I stopped feeling bags. I go over they crib and they got more roaches.
Speaker 4: Than we do exactly. So I mean, so.
Speaker 3: Everybody, you know, certain people went through certain situations and that's what you dealt with. And like I said, at some time, you felt this is life, man, So I'm happy about it.
Speaker 4: I can't complain about it.
Speaker 3: And then you start, you know, as you get older, into your teens and you know, you're seventeens and eighteens, and you start, you know, if you start doing that hood life shit, then you don't give a fuck about nothing else because to you, this is this is life. And so nigga, we was able to sell some little crack pieces and piece up on drink and weed and you know, maybe fucking on some broads or whatever, and that was that was life.
Speaker 2: Yes, really, you know one thing I'm glad about though I did start serving when I came out to California, I'm glad I really didn't get into an Ohio man, because they was going hard like everybody I knew. Man almost became like little young king pinions. But it wasn't a happy anything of that. I remember hearing about little homies back at the crib homies that was my age, having like one hundred two hundred thousand racks up under the mattress dog and just and driving and driving, you know, driving nice whips and stuff. Man, driving on motherfucking what was the name of the motherfuckers, the ninety eight O's mobiles, Just having an Olds Mobile, just sitting on rims with the pied negg up and then take that you feel what I'm saying. And they just doing it big, right. But all them dudes, man did real time. Man, Some of them dudes just now coming home over the past few years.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because them drug loss back when we was coming up was vicious.
Speaker 1: Get real vicious.
Speaker 3: They was real vicious. So you know you was getting shit. You was getting.
Speaker 4: Thirty years and shit and crazy time back then.
Speaker 3: You know some of the homies who was getting caught up, nigga, he was getting fifty five seventy years.
Speaker 4: And crazy shit.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: So but like I said, it was everything to some niggas, you know, being representing the neighborhood and being known from the hood and you know, having the attention of everybody you know, that was success to a motherfucker.
Speaker 4: You get me.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to figure out why, because I'm gonna tell you, Like I just said, I had homies. Man, who's my age, dudes who was seventeen that had two hundred, three hundred thousand dollars dog cars, and they get to the point they ain't even staying with their mama no more. They got apartments, dog like maybe two or three apartments, and they just doing it big. And you hearing about them, you know, like, man, damn he not such and such down he doing this. He showed out doing this.
Speaker 2: The homy ran through the hood and through fifty thousand dollars out the window with everybody. You feel what I'm saying, And it's like we really glorify that stuff when we were kids, dog, that's what we want. I remember, man, at one time, Man, I wanted to be the biggest d boy ever.
Speaker 1: Dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because like I said, it's hard, you know, for a young for a young kid who living in that situation in poverty, you can't really you can't really bamboozle me with the with the with the with the story school books of how heroes are supposed to be.
Speaker 4: You're getting a.
Speaker 3: Kid growing up in poverty. Hero is the nigga who hit in the corner with the fat chain on in the new car with the rims, and you know that's the hero. You get me, because what is that motherfucker doing. You get me the motherfucker who hard worked and went to school and whatever, and they got the name and they sitting up in the suit with the picture and everything. The nigga like that ain't putting no food on the table right now. That ain't helping with the poverty situations I'm in, or or you know, just family. Just toe up and you get me. And sometimes you ain't even got to be on it. There's a lot of kids who go through sports and shit like that. You hear the stories.
Speaker 4: You get me.
Speaker 3: We was homeless, nigga. We was living in shelters, but I was going to practice every day. You're getting me. I could have been out there slanging and doing some crazy shit, but I decided, fuck it, my my my claim fan gonna be sports. You know, we got a lot of choices and different choices you know nowadays, back then, I don't you know, not to say we didn't, but one thing. We had too many choices growing up in the city. Feel Oh no, you know what.
Speaker 2: That's why I said I'm glad when I decided to jump off the court because I stir the death was a little bit at the crib, but I was on my way out here right now.
Speaker 1: I think that once.
Speaker 2: I did get out here, even though I had that desire to be the biggest deep boy ever, I still kind of had football to keep me focused, you feel what I'm saying. So it was like it was like, Okay, I'm out here for this. I can't mess that up, you feel what I'm saying. I still had that opportunity, that dream was in the reach, so I think that kind of diverted me a little bit. And then by the homie going to jail that who was really my connecting everything, it kind of like left me on struck and it really just forced me to focus more on football.
Speaker 4: Right right.
Speaker 1: I think about it now.
Speaker 2: Had I really had I really focused more on ball dog instead of running the streets, I think I could have did a lot better.
Speaker 4: Man, I think about that sometimes, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: Had I stayed focused, Because see, the thing was when it came time for me to leave Long Beach City College. Right, I had big schools, like I had the Miami Hurricanes. Dog, I had the Virginia Tech. I had Virginia Tech, I had Miami, I had Oregon. I might have had Michigan or Michigan State. That was so long ago. I had different people offered me scholarships, but they wanted me to graduate in the spring, and I couldn't come out that summer because I messed up so bad my first year. Not too bad, but you gotta remember I was skipping classes. Man, I was doing this. I just enough just to be elisib bro right, and had I handled my business, there's no telling what I would have went. Because I think about it now, I'm like, man, the Mexican State Nigga had ten or eleven sex. If I'd have did that for the Hurricanes, if Virginia Tech or Michigan or something like that, I ain't no telling, man, where I could where the boy could have.
Speaker 4: Win, you know, exactly, ain't no.
Speaker 1: Telling where the boy could have win.
Speaker 2: But then I think again, sometimes, man, stuff happened just the way it's supposed to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, That's like I said, life is is you get put in the position and then it's up to you to follow the path.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it could get rocky, sometimes it could get you know whatever. But that's that's your life plan. Man, You feel me, And that's that's how it happened. Any other way it could have happened would have been different. Who knows where motherfucker would they ended up.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I think about that too.
Speaker 2: You know, had I went to one of those other schools, I may not have been with my wife, dog, I may not have my kids. I got no, I wouldn't trade them dudes, that girl and them two boys from none in the world exactly.
Speaker 3: So you know, you get put in positions and sometimes you have to go. Like I said, I tell people all the time, sometimes motherfuckers go through it easy and you know, you wake up and overnight success and you be whatever whatever. But that fall be kind of hard when you don't know how to go through adversity and all of that. So sometimes we have to take that long, hard road just to get to the end of the shit.
Speaker 2: You feel me, Oh yeah for sure, man, because they, like you said, man, stuff feels what it is. You know what I wanted to ask you, right, we came up in that time in the nineties, man, and it was so much you feelure you had the move, you had Scarface, right, you had all of these movies. Man, they kind of like I ain't gonna say they glorified everything, but they made all that stuff look.
Speaker 4: Cool, man, exactly.
Speaker 2: They made all that stuff look like it was the thing to do because it was probably because it wasn't too many options for us. Like, I'm not gonna lie, bro. I never saw myself being a doctor. I never saw myself being a lawyer. If I didn't play professional football, I didn't know what I was gonna do for a long time, bro.
Speaker 4: Like I said, you get those dreams. You get those dreams as.
Speaker 3: A kid, you know, or whatever it is, you know, feeling like you want to do whatever, and a lot of it. You know, I'm gonna be a doctor, lawyer, I'm gonna be a professional football player.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: We have those aspirations as a kid. But like I said, sometimes you get the path crossed. You know, you get to the crossroads and you don't know which way you supposed to go, so you you take the roads you think, and it might get a little bumpy, you know, not just saying you ain't gonna reach your destiny. But shit, sometimes the roads are different from everybody else.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: That's how I look at it. Shit, the way I came mouth is, Hey, that's the turn I was supposed to make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think about like you all, I don't know if you see it or not. Dog you want them dudes that defied the eys man, that became one of the crazy this shit doog.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's it's work and you don't even look at it like that. Like I said, when I was, you know, doing what I do, I just did it because I felt, you know, this is the path I'm supposed to be taken. Had I done anything differently, or or wrapped about anything differently, or went through anything differently as a youth growing up, you know, with my parents and poverty and living in different sections, and you know, and it's just what it is.
Speaker 1: What it is, like sniff something wouldn't There's.
Speaker 3: Been situations to where I could have been just like any other nigga got shot killed, you know, been a martyr for the neighborhood or whatever.
Speaker 4: Because there was a lot of us who went through that.
Speaker 3: You know, there was a lot of niggas that you probably felt who was gonna live forever?
Speaker 4: And you wake up and they gone, you get me.
Speaker 3: Just bro And and it's unfortunate because there are some dudes that you wouldn't you know, you wouldn't think in your life, you know what would har I'm a fly, you know what I'm saying. Niggas was just cool as a motherfucking fan. Niggas was from the hood and everything was whatever it did. But you would never think niggas would be in those positions and shit, And unfortunately that's the life that that happened.
Speaker 1: You know what, I call them dudes, man. I used to have a name for them. I call them ghettle guys. Man catch This seemed like they were just And.
Speaker 2: The one thing, man, that that really made me start thinking is I figured out, especially once I came out here to La Man, I see every neighborhood, got to get them, got every neighborhood, got that.
Speaker 1: One cat you catch and it's usually just one. Right.
Speaker 2: They just seem like he invincible, He got all the money, he kind of hold the hood down. He liked by everybody. But then once you see him gett knocked down, you say, man, they knocked him down.
Speaker 1: Anybody get knocked down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what the that's what the surprise about shit be, Like anybody could get taken down and you don't You don't realize that till after you know, you see it, because like you said, some dudes have the the mentality of the or the moral compass of this motherfucker gonna be around forever.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. Can't nobody fuck with the homie and shit?
Speaker 3: They just vicious and everybody know the nigga and you know he's untouchable and the next thing you know, damn, like what the fuck happened?
Speaker 2: And it's all if you notice adust always they get touched by somebody who wasn't even affected like that, you wind up here anybody like what Like I remember one homie man and that was back in the hood. Man that was like mister big Man. He got smoked by his broad thog.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You hear a lot of crazy stories of how you know, not everybody got killed by dry buys or whatever. You niggas died because of all kind of shit, you know, you know, girls setting them up, niggas getting robbed, you know, bad drug deals and shit, you know, life was everything. You got it all. You know what I'm saying. There was nothing that was missed. Believe me, man, I know.
Speaker 2: I got some cousins man who wasn't as fortunate as I was, because I was very fortunate to be able to have a little skate rock, right. I got cousins man that wound up doing major time man for Heroin and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Man, it was really out there getting to it right. It was playing a dangerous game, you know, because you.
Speaker 2: Know when you messing with the h man, you get a lot of time man like that someone.
Speaker 1: It's enhanced.
Speaker 2: Man. It ain't like you telling nothing else. Man, You're getting attempted murder charts and all kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: Man. Yeah, every everything bring different shit.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: That's why I said you got to be careful when you choose the lifestyle, because then you got to watch out because you know, you never know who prays on your downfall. You know, a lot of time, it's a lot of niggas that's right up under you. Because I say, you know, regardless of what you think you may be doing, you never doing enough.
Speaker 1: Man. I'd yeah, for real.
Speaker 3: There's probably a few dudes who you know, you you sitting up with and you know you're flossing that money, and you know you're doing interviews with money on the table and pulling up with jewelry and fancy cars.
Speaker 4: You know, it's the smile in your face a situation.
Speaker 3: It's a nigga gonna stand right in your face, puff on your weed, drink on your drain, give you adapt, pat you on the back, and then gonna go home and be like, which way can we do? A motherfucker, because at the end of the day, I don't got what that nigga.
Speaker 1: Guys, I'm gonna tell you something. Man shot up to the homeboy Man till I think you remember you remember my homeboy that came out here, Man from Ohio. He came out, He came up to the show and just set up there. He didn't come on with nothing for shure, He just he just got home. Man. A few years ago, Man, and the catch rated on him. Man was a dude.
Speaker 4: We grew up with bro the ship.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's always somebody that they can probably get to and sometimes unfortunately, as some motherfucker that's right next to you, you get somebody.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be accountable because I'm gonna tell you what was so cold about. But we were so cold about the Homie Dukees. Man was he was off the game, bro Like he was done. He had kind of like stacked his chips up. Dog had bought him a couple of garage, just had some busin is this going, had a couple of houses. You know, he had his money straight right right, he was done, And he kept saying, man, because it come a point to where when.
Speaker 1: The fez is on you, they started talking to you. Right.
Speaker 2: They had told him like, man, we almost had you, we almost has you. So we had this one nigga that we knew.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: He was like he was hustling too, but he was kind of like he wasn't on the same level as the homie was, but he was.
Speaker 1: Doing this thing right. He had started calling him out the blue, like, man, I need to get to him, you know, because as much as people be talking, man, it ain't that easy.
Speaker 2: To come up on birds dog like that. No, it's not unless you just know somebody. Dog, it's not easy. You know, you could be making your money and never touch a bird. You feel what I'm saying, right, So he kept asking Homie the Homie said he had this feeling like, man, I shouldn't be doing this.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't mess with this nigga. This niggain't never did nothing like that, you know what I mean? And why is he ask me for this now? You know? So the home, he was like, man, no, no, no, kept telling him no, no, no, and he kept saying, Man, he remember the day like it was yesterday. He said, all right, Man, I got you. He went and made that phone call when a guy that said he went over there, right, he said, he even sat in the car for about thirty forty minutes just kind of like just kind of like like I should just turn back around and go home. You feel what I'm saying, right, And he as soon as he went up there, man and knocked on the door.
Speaker 2: Man, he said, it seemed like the police just came out of nowhere. He said, Man, I didn't even see him coming. It was like they came up off the floor, off the ground on my ass. And next you know, he was like, man, I knew this was gonna happen. A nigga that we grew up with. Though he because he couldn't handle he got caught up in some other stuff. And gave it Homi up.
Speaker 3: Well, some guy, that's how the scenario go. You know you can too. You can sing that song for a lot of people, you know, saying that shit.
Speaker 1: That's the ultimate rad shit though, that's the ultimate you gotta be.
Speaker 2: One thing I always say at eight, I ain't never I tell the people all the time, I ain't never been no game banger, and I ain't gonna sit up here and say I was need no need, no brown enough shit like that. Right, But the one thing I always did, man, I was always accountable for what I did.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't go never telling nobody's dog to get out of a situation. I guess I look at people like that as people have a clear a character flawed Bro. Whatever you do, Bro, you gotta stand on your own stuff. Man, you gotta you gotta you know, you gotta eat your own shit dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, I mean if you want to put yourself in those positions, Like I said, we got we.
Speaker 1: All got choices, bro, we all got choices to make it. It's like if I make this choice and decide, man, hey we gonna hop this gate ache.
Speaker 2: I'm making the choice just like Hugh he is right now. If you get away dog and I get caught, I'm filed for telling them what. Man, You know what, man A actually got more than man he you know he got he laid up over here. You know that's foul, bro. And I saw that that did to the homie. Man, I think that hurt him more than him just getting cut. Like man the homy told on me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, favor, I said, especially if you.
Speaker 3: If you consider the motherfucker a certain type of person or a friend or a homie or whatever. But like I said, you never know what you know. Trust is a big word and it goes far with certain niggas.
Speaker 4: And a nigga can tell.
Speaker 3: You all day oh man, you know, blah blah blah, and they can turn their back on you in the last one. The second, you gotta understand what what being true to a motherfucker he is. And last everybody can't come along when it's time for you know what, it's time for retribution of the paper and putting yourself in a better position in life. There's gonna be some niggas who's jealous of it, you know what I'm saying. So you just have to watch who you fucking with and that goes back to childhood days to motherfuckers. You need to you know tomorrow. You know everybody ain't trustworthy.
Speaker 1: Man, Friends, a few associates many.
Speaker 2: That's something that my mama used to tell me every day, Friends, a few associates, many, just because you know somebody I remer. My mama tell me one day stop calling everybody your friend.
Speaker 3: Exactly. I don't do the shit I need motherfuckers. And I be like, no, that y'all's just an associate that ain't my friend. I don't call niggas like that. You feel me.
Speaker 1: Because I'm gonna tell you, man. And it's like I think.
Speaker 2: In every neighborhood, man, you can count five brothers man and got the same story and just being betrayed by somebody that they thought they was just real cool with, right, And you still got people that think they go jump in this shit and get different results. Bro, I tell people. I should tell my sons, man, I tell the homies. I tell everybody, y'all. I say, man, the streets don't have no love for nobody.
Speaker 4: Bro. Oh definitely, hell no.
Speaker 3: You taking a chance right then and there, you better believe that they it don't.
Speaker 4: So you just better watch it back and watching you associate.
Speaker 2: With Yeah, that's that's that's for real. That's for real, man. I think the biggest advice that you can give somebody man, if they listen.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of people don't like to listen. Go to school, man, Get you an education, man, if you could learn you a trade or learn you a trig. It's all that other stuff.
Speaker 2: Ain't hitting on nothing, dog, don't nobody make it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's if you can get to a mother, if you can get to you know, the generation and and talk to them and convince them that you know, there's a better situation out there. You know, it might not be what you like, but it's always something better. You feel me. Then taking those chances of those situations to where you gotta trust somebody with your life or your freedom, you feel me. And unfortunately, like I said, there's just some niggas out there who just don't give a fuck you get.
Speaker 1: I think, man.
Speaker 2: Like the question I asked at the beginning, Man, I don't think me and you need to one to know. Why does the bulls shit have such a lord of people?
Speaker 3: Dog?
Speaker 2: It's like it's a question, man, because you know people who don't got told on. You got you know, people who don't got murdered, You got people who all this bad stuff I'm having to I can't think of nothing good to come out of none.
Speaker 1: In the hood, dog.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a products. You know, we come out of the neighborhood. So that's the positive aspect. There's a lot of black you know, men and young men and you know women, you know, the sisters. We come out of the hood as products, and we can be faced with adversity, gains and poverty and not having the other men have. And that goes to show you. You know, dudes like I made records and movies, and you know, there's just sports people, the Venuses and the Serenas and all the sports people. That's your positive aspect of coming out of the hood because a lot of us start from the situation of what you see niggas go through gang banging and drug selling and whatever, and it's hard to stray from that lifestyle. You know, I didn't have the pops at home who was able to be like you know Venus and Serena parents who you know, nigga. You know, I unfortunately had to go through the route of the hood and and you know, doing that that lifestyle, not just saying that it was you know, to me, it was everything. I didn't look at it as as a flaw or a fucking It was just, you know, a lot of us have obstacles we go through, and for people who don't come through the game banging lifestyle, your obstacle might be something else. You feel me coming up as a teenager and trying to get to the point of where you you know that you know you you you you becoming a great man or a great product.
Speaker 4: Of the neighborhood. You get me.
Speaker 3: The guy used to sell dope, gang bang, claim the hood, blah blah, is x y Z.
Speaker 4: And then at the end of the day, my sons ain't gonna come through that. You get me.
Speaker 3: He's not gonna have to claim the neighborhood and sell crack and you know, get shot at or shoot at motherfuckers and go through that lifestyle to crawl through shit to come out on the end knowing that you were always a greater, you know individual, You was always a good man or a young man.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And it was I'm glad I was fortunate enough that I went through the shit that I could turn around, and once I came out on the clean side, I could turn around and.
Speaker 4: Go, oh no, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no you no. And I don't give for you know, in whatever circumstance that might have caused. But who gives a fuck because I'm already went through the shit. So if I can, I'm gonna save you from the shit you get me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, man, you got brothers man.
Speaker 2: And the cold part about it is, Man, some of the most brilliant people are no come from the hood, dog like. I know some smart dudes eight where if they would have put that on, if they would have directed the energy like towards some positive man, I swear they'd have been Fortune five hundred leaders and CEOs and you know, just big time people. Man. Because I knew some really brilliant dude. Man, I had a homeboy back of the crib.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: That dude was so smart, man. And I really believe that this dude could have gotten in the harbor to yeah or something like that. Man, he's probably been a president of something because he always he always had a scheme, and his schemes would be working. Dog like this dude one day was telling me about Man. You know, if we did this, man, we could probably get a couple hundred thousand dollars. I was like, man, you're crazy. You want an attentiary.
Speaker 1: But there would be plans that were that would be really like like he had his well thought.
Speaker 2: All plans Man, definitely, And there's a whole bunch of people like you think about it now, like Man, you think about cats like Harry Yo Man, cats like Freeway Rick. When you serving on the level that them dudes is serving. Man, you can't be no dumb ass dude.
Speaker 3: And no, you got to be very articulate, and you gotta be smart, and you can't just be naive to regular ass life. You have to be very intelligent to be able to deal with certain different niggas, different motherfucking situations. You know that comes with being you know, intelligent and knowing that drama and situations are gonna get you to a certain status and being able to deal and communicate and be business minded is what's gonna have a gang of motherfuckers wanting to fuck with you. So you got to be very intelligent when you get when you reaching that type of status, you give me.
Speaker 2: I want to get here. You on the show Man, because that dude, think about it, that dude discovered, like gave Denzel watched in his first acting job, bro had limousine businesses, owned all them big ass buildings downtown is worth billions of dollars.
Speaker 1: Now, Dog, he had all that stuff first.
Speaker 2: Right, you know, he was just doing a lot of big stuff, man, and got cut for his legal his illicit activities.
Speaker 1: Dog got caught up. Shoot, help start different records, you know, exactly, just a cold dude.
Speaker 2: Man. I want to have him on the show Man to just really talk to him, man, because that man spent thirty three years playing on walls.
Speaker 3: Man, and and people like that have stories to tell of intelligence, you know, and stories of importance. You know, even though the lifestyle my nigga came through, those stories are valuable to help the youth understand, you know, what circumstances that he had to go through to put himself in that situation.
Speaker 4: And you know, you might have looked at it as you know.
Speaker 3: Positive, you know, like you said, being able to turn around and understand that, you know, trying to start legitimate situations is at the end of the day, is the quests you feel me to get out of the lifestyle. To try to change your lifestyle for the better is what it is for at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: You know what's cold o man? Shut out a snoop man. I guess some I heard the hereos the CEOO like the chief operating off to the new death Row records.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Hopefully, you know, hopefully that takes off of them, man, because it's good to see cats come home and get an opportunity to do something.
Speaker 3: Positive, definitely, you know, And we got a lot of them. We got a lot of you know, uh uh individuals, you know, our brothers, like you said, who are very intelligent and smart to begin with. That's why they were able to have these empires and these enterprises and you know, like my boy Kyle Lee, you know what I'm saying, my boy Virgil, you know, be able to come home and legitimize the situation and turn it into something legit, and you know, to be able to have the opportunity as the other motherfuckers, do you get me?
Speaker 1: They try to watch Versus, right, they tried to really watch Versus. Virgion was the first one, you know, we had them on the show before Version was the first one really to have most stories multiple locations, definitely.
Speaker 3: You know, like I said, his story is important too because of what he had to go through and what you know, what's what's very popularized today. You got all kinds of entertainers and sports motherfuckers getting into it. They've got dispensaries now exactly.
Speaker 1: They got dispensary because he was the When you think about it, he was the cookies before it was the cookies exactly. And I think that it's important. And then the stories I want to start telling.
Speaker 2: Man, so over these next like for the rest of this year, Man, I really want to work on man getting cats.
Speaker 1: Man, it's doing something positive. Now.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm so sick of hearing about people glorifying dudes who are not doing nothing just as they've been in jail in a rum day life. Like, how's that glorifying something?
Speaker 3: Well, because that's the generation in the code of like you said, even back in my days, like I said, somehow it was the right of passage to go to prison and then to come back to the neighborhood. You felt vindicated, You felt you know, you had really put your stamp on you know what you saw, what which was was true life to you and that was the neighborhood and gang banging and representing the block. So it's just it's it's it's like that today with the youth, they gonna glorify. Oh man, my nigga put in work, my nigga. Woot the wo woot.
Speaker 4: He won't. But you know, at the end of the day, when you behind the bars and your life is on standstill, you know it's not you know, you're forgotten about at the end of the day. So let's just see how many of you know his true people you know, stick with and ride with him and uh, you know, endure some of the fucked up shit that they have to go through on this journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, when you start thinking about man, start thinking about it. I can't even imagine doing no time like that. Thirty three years a long time, bro, Hell two years a long time to me. You know, I don't want to spend a second of my freedom being gone, exactly. I ain't trying to spend a second of it, man, So I want to I want you to really start thinking over the next few weeks, man, cats, I want to try to reach out to here of yo, I wouldn't mind going to go sit down with Virgil again. And what I want to talk to Virgils about this time is like, really because Virgil is expert on how to get into the game.
Speaker 1: You feel what I mean. It's a lot of cats that want to get into the dispencery game but don't know quite how.
Speaker 4: For sure, let's get it cracking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you when the last time you talked to him?
Speaker 4: I talked to Virgil about a week and a half ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is he still because the last time we talked he has some stuff going on in Africa?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just he'd be moving. You know, that's how niggas do. They trying to set up ship worldwide and everything else. But he always available. I just got a calling. Yeah, that would be the.
Speaker 1: Coming you coming from the community eight.
Speaker 2: It seemed like a rap is still the number one away that you know, young people in the neighborhood try to use as a means to escape. What would you tell the young dude today trying to come up the neighborhood by hip hop?
Speaker 3: I couldn't tell you because everybody follows a different path today. You know, back in my days, we knew what it was, but today it's all kind of shit.
Speaker 1: So you know, what you said. It's easier today, are harder.
Speaker 4: What to make a record, it's it's a record.
Speaker 2: Man, But to really just do something that's impactful, because you know, that's the one thing I know this man, just being a dude that don't been the executive in this stuff for many years.
Speaker 1: Year.
Speaker 2: It's easier to make records and stuff like that. Dog, and it's easy to do a lot of stuff, man, but is it really easier to make an impact. It's because it's so crowded right now.
Speaker 4: Shit, you wouldn't know better to me, my nigga.
Speaker 3: That's why I stay in my lane and whatever it is, it isn't don't try to check.
Speaker 4: You would have to answer that one yourself. You the executive.
Speaker 1: You have to give advice to that, you know, because you want to hear my advice though, because I'm I don't like to see some negative first alone.
Speaker 3: And you let a nigga do what he gotta do and let him run his course. You feel me, That's just what it is. Yeah, you know, because that's just telling everybody.
Speaker 2: Whether it's rapping, doing this podcast stuff. I'm gonna tell you what I do know what I can tell people. The money is not there in podcasting like it once was, and it's not gonna be for a long time. The ones that's getting money now probably go continue to give money. But as far as you having something new, unless you really make the investment and putting there and do it the right way, it's probably not gonna work out for you. Is too many people doing this stuff right now, exactly, and it's like it's only so much bandwidth thog. It's like, you know what this remind me of. You remember when people first started hustling. Everything was cool, but then after a while the block was just crowded. It was the same people trying to rush the same car.
Speaker 3: That's why we that's why I diiggas had to start making choices of what they was gonna do. You know, you gotta start making choices. I need to do something else. I need to start making records. I need to go get a job. You know everything you know, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Why do you think it's so hard for people?
Speaker 2: Because you know, you said go get a job. A lot of people are like going to go get a job. It's something bad or.
Speaker 3: Something's it's frowned upon because you know, especially if you're trying to impress the motherfuck And if you're on the ego of trying to impress and get you a bitch or whatever like that. You know, certain certain females, you know, require certain shit nowadays, and they tell you you get me. I'm gonna get this fake ted easy's fake ass. I'm gonna put this hair in my ship. I'm gonna glorify myself up. Now you gotta make you gotta be having millions of dollars to fuck with this. This costs right here, and and they mean it costs. It's gonna cost you some trinkets, some trips, and some motherfucking some trinkets, trips, and some motherfucking takes this ship.
Speaker 4: You know what you want?
Speaker 3: She want to eat, she want to flow some little ship. You need her a nice person, some diamonds and ship. And if you can't compete with that, then you you you frowned upon, which is, you know, unfortunate for some you know, young gentleman. But that's what the situation is.
Speaker 1: That's one of you man. That's well.
Speaker 2: That concludes another episode of the Gainst the Chronicles podcast. Be sure to download the i heeart app and subscribe to the gainst the Chronicles podcast for Apple users, find a purple micae on the front your screen, subscribe to the show, leave a comment and rating. Executive producers for The Gangster Chronicles podcasts of Norman Steel Aaron M c a.
Speaker 1: Tyler.
Speaker 2: Our visual media director is Brian Wyatt, and our audio editors tell It Hayes. The Gangster Chronicles is a production of iHeartMedia Network and The Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple Podcasts Wherever you're listening to your podcasts