Speaker 1: Coming up on a Get Loud Podcast special guest Ryan McGee, ESPN senior writer also co host of the Marty McGee podcast on SEC Network, and man, we got a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're gonna be chilling over young we might be talking to y'all. Who knows how you doing? Guys.
Speaker 1: It is the Get Loud Podcast presented by See Geek, the official tickety partner of the Washington Commanders. Smooth, Yes, smooth, call us. Let us know what you think in the comments as well. We got the house.
Speaker 3: Phone, Yeah, we do, we do. We in twenty twenty four, we do have a house phone. We want you to leave messages on it. If it's some funny, please see it. If it's you know, whatever you want to say about the show, it's fine.
Speaker 4: Any devent you're having a tough day, let us know.
Speaker 3: Just just call us, you know what. Fred and Jink's man. You know my wife is just oh man, she's just been at me. You know, Just let us know what's going up.
Speaker 1: Seven O three seven two six seven four one nine seven O three seven two six seven four.
Speaker 4: One night, We're gonna get to some football stoff and we're gonna talk with Ryan McGee from Marty McGee Marty and McGee on then SEC Network. He's such a good Oh, he's such a good dude. We're gonna talk SEC. We're gonna talk a little bit of everything.
Speaker 1: With football season on the way, but since it is the off season, won't spend a lot of time on it. Yeah, but Travis Kelsey showed up at Taylor Swifts concert and you're I learned about this about fifteen minutes ago. You saw the performance. What did you think?
Speaker 3: First of all, she's such a professional because she swallowed a European grasshop. I think she swallowed a buck. I'm shocked. This ain't the first time this happened. I'm sure that happened to singers before, but this is the first time. Somebody reported that while she was singing the song, a bug flew in her mouth, so she had to stop for a second spit the bug out. And like I said, the bug was European. Like I was like, oh, yeah, that's crazy. Like, but I'm like, why hasn't that happened before? Like, I'm sure a lot of singers have swallowed bugs. So I didn't even take the Travis Kelce part out of him. I was like, yeah, Taylor's swallowed them a bug like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like that's very Hunian.
Speaker 3: I wanted it, Michael Jackson, A prince swallow a bub What's the.
Speaker 4: Worst performance you've ever seen in a concert?
Speaker 2: The worst performance I've ever seen a.
Speaker 4: Could be one song, but someone just did not you know what? Right?
Speaker 3: This was not at a concert, and I just hope I don't get strugged down. I was at church, okay, okay, and this this lady got up and she was like, you know, crazy, Lord, if she wanted to talk, then she just started singing this little light of mind. And you know, I'm not the type person that can hold things in, and she just butchered it. Talk and all you can hear in the back, you know, everybody's quiet, trying to show respect, and you just hit me. Ah, like, I just can't hold it because I'm like somebody laughing out loud.
Speaker 2: Lord, tell her to stop singing. That's what you want to do? What about you?
Speaker 4: I saw Casey and Jojo open up on time. Let me tell you something. First of all, these catchers so out of it.
Speaker 2: Hey. First of all, they got a concert up here, you know that, right, it's.
Speaker 4: Coming to MGM, they are.
Speaker 1: Yes, these guys came out and these suits had to be though crowl because I think I think it was Casey that like did this and to me, that's that suit. And they just came off and they were half naked. And these are brothers, as we know, right, we do. So, I mean at the end they're singing all My life right, that's their banger, right right, So this is you know, their hit song outside of Jodasy And so they turned to each other and Casey's like, oh my life, but does someone like you looks at this. They started holding hands and then the hug in the middle of the stage, and everybody's like, don't worry.
Speaker 3: About you know, you came to a Washington game, smooth, don't worry about their manus.
Speaker 4: We were looking at each other like, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Steal what it is? It happens to the best of them.
Speaker 4: It was so funny, man, it.
Speaker 1: Happens to the best of So again, we're talking NFL off season some of the things that we've seen in the headlines and something we have seen.
Speaker 4: They weren't naked like Casey and Jojo work, but Joe Burrow and Justin Jefferson had.
Speaker 1: On some interesting clothes at the Vogue Fashion Show.
Speaker 4: Did you see this? It's like they were wearing the jobs Joe, don't.
Speaker 3: Joe Burrow looks like the dude on the front of every magazine at.
Speaker 2: The grocery store.
Speaker 4: He's a good looking dude. When I say, just he just got the.
Speaker 3: Little the bread pitch jo line when he gets up and his hair. You know, some guys just got this inner swag that you cannot run from. So at the end of the day, I'm never mad when guys show they swag through, they fashion right, because.
Speaker 2: Fashion what makes us different.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: It can make the same person will feel different, look different. So no, I love Joe berrowswag. I love Justin Jaiff.
Speaker 3: Then these guys went to collegegether. They won't stop being friends. That's your NFL. Like I tell people, we don't stop being friends because we play for a different team. We're still friends and we're still going through this thing together.
Speaker 4: And aren't you more bonded than you are?
Speaker 1: Not necessarily NFL, but you're growing together, which is a huge part of why you're always going to have that bond.
Speaker 3: And nobody actually understands what you're going through mentally, personally and everyday dated life like a person that's going through the same exact thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, so that's why we tend to gravitate toys. And you ask any X player man what you miss about the league. First thing come out. They always the locker room because them guys understand you on the level your wife might not even understand you.
Speaker 1: No, I get that absolutely now when you think about I remember when you played, you weren't someone who.
Speaker 4: You weren't outlandish with the way that you dressed. I'm very conservative, kind of like you're always put together, though I'm.
Speaker 2: Always put together, but I'm always wane of them.
Speaker 3: I think the man makes the clothes, yes, not the clothes make the maan. So I feel like I could wear the same I fit somebody else wearing, I could.
Speaker 4: Wear it better.
Speaker 3: Yes, the swag is just there. You can't hide swag. They're like they say, you can't hide money, you can't hide swag. So I was one of them people I always make But I did have the Joe name it for Coke. I was just he was the original, right, come on, come on, Joe, Joe Willy name it on the sidelines. First of all, Joe Willey walked so I could run. Do you not understand that? So he was the first swag dude. He was the first athlete that was like, you know what, I'm finna party all night, loan all right, and I see you in the morning for the game.
Speaker 1: So when you played, I think, recent example, Cam Newton's probably I know he's out the league now, but he was always dressed in something kind of funky when you played. Was there someone even now recently who whenever they show up, You're like.
Speaker 4: Man, that guy's always on point.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: I used to give out this award, right okay, And.
Speaker 3: Players used to come like every away games, we have to wear suits, all right.
Speaker 2: And I used to give out this war called the dead Man's Suit of War.
Speaker 3: And I used to get this out because I used to tell the players just because you got money don't mean you got style. Absolutely, So I used to tell him I'm gonna give a ward out every week for deep to the terrist suit game on the team. I'd be like, yeah, you can dug somebody up out of their casket and stole they suit.
Speaker 2: And guys used to.
Speaker 3: Come to my locker before we travel and be like, hey, man, what this suit look like?
Speaker 2: So I can tell you so I can give him a y nay. So guys walk through. Now my boy, Drake Cardle, I love Drake.
Speaker 4: That's my dude.
Speaker 3: He has a fruneral home full of dead Men suit and you know they cut the back out of dead Man so they don't even have to back it. Drake Carter, Oh, I gotta get this with Clint Porters. Toop was more see p the type guy walk in the store and he won't get it because he think it looks good.
Speaker 2: He'll get it because he think nobody else would get it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I got you.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: He would wear the stuff that none of us even dare wear like meaning I'm not wearing that like he would wear it, and I'll never forget this. I would give that the dead Man's Suit Award and Lavarni's codes. Walk through the duty and he has on a full Sensay suit.
Speaker 2: Nah no, no, a karate suits, a real sense suit. He got on the shoes. We were like, what are we missing something? He's like, no, man, it's fresh. Okay, yeah, yeah, no it's not.
Speaker 3: No, it's not like I'm the voice of reasoning, yes, like I always try to be the voice of reasoning. But no, it has been some ugly suit game on this team. All right, on this team, I can't speak for under locker room. And I went to Minnesota for two years. There was some terrible suits up there too.
Speaker 2: Just because your man has money does not give him.
Speaker 4: Style, Lavernius, Why you wearing a hat that Matt suit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's going on? I thought he was a superhero. I like, this is not Halloween, dude, what you're doing?
Speaker 1: Can I talk to you about recycle track systems for a second. You can't transforming the way commercial businesses and communities manage waste and recycling. Combining the power of AI with premium customer service to optimize waste pickup schedules, ensuring timely, inefficient collections to keep our neighborhoods cleaner and greener.
Speaker 4: Vis at artis dot.
Speaker 1: Com to learn more about how they can help your business manage waste more responsibly.
Speaker 4: So guys that have swag, yeah, generally receivers. They like to swag it up.
Speaker 1: They always do Diva and then tight ends are known as more of the gritty blue cocks. Blue collar, right, lunch, pale, hard, hated kind of guys. So AJ Brown tweeted a few days ago. Your tight ends always having meetups? Right, they have a tight end universe. These guys are all together. Why is it.
Speaker 4: Wide receivers can't do this? Are they too diva esque? Are they too pretty? What is it about a receiver?
Speaker 2: Just said it? You just said the DB's we mount up and say, you know what.
Speaker 3: We got to stop the EVA empio co wire receivers.
Speaker 2: Let's share our tricks to the trade.
Speaker 3: Tight ends get together, say you know what, we need to get paid more money. Let's sharpen our skills together. Past rush would be like, you know what, we want all y'all to get paid, Let's share.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Not wide receivers, they're not sharing anything. They all want to be that one dude. They all want to be the dude. Yes, it's like trying to start an R and B group five.
Speaker 2: You can't like somebody has.
Speaker 3: It's like being a Jackson five and it's five michaels like.
Speaker 4: It's not gonna work, right, It's just not. Tito's like I want to sing, Tito, go back there and play the bass, like.
Speaker 3: We could walk past Tito and witness right now, I wouldn't know who Tito was. The thing about it is the wire receivers. Like they say, it's like being the king of restaurants.
Speaker 2: It can only be it can only be one. Yes, it can only be one.
Speaker 3: And I don't see a time where they all will ever get together.
Speaker 2: I don't hear who starts the line off like little small.
Speaker 3: Thing that they just won't agree with that we agree with. Like if we all DB's out together and were like, all right, yeah, listen, start, it's like twenty of us. We don't care who starts to line. Let's just start the line. I know for a fact the wires won't get anything dumb because whoever gonna be first in their line is decides everything.
Speaker 4: Oh those guys, if you're tied in to be like, go ahead, man, I want to learn from you. I want to watch you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm watching kills right yeah.
Speaker 1: Stefan Dickson be like y'all, y'all just get behind me, And Justin Jefferson be like, hey, everyone get behind me.
Speaker 2: I'm not get behind anybody. They go your conversation right there.
Speaker 3: This how it starts, this, how it ends, this, where is at like you can't see step Fund.
Speaker 2: They like, Stephan, why did you running rout? Because I don't want you to see how I run it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you're gonna run it like that.
Speaker 2: It's true though, that's damn that's who they are.
Speaker 3: All I'm saying is this. If you've ever went shopping with a wide receiver, you know that they're devas. Oh, if you ever go shopping with them. Now you can meet your your blue collar guys, like your Tyry Mclains, your Satana Moss who kind of been they kind of got their own little like your James Thrashes of the world. These guys don't care about all that other stuff. And that's why Tanna say in Miami, him Andre Johnson, all.
Speaker 2: Those guys they met back up and they worked out all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't have any egos, but wide receivers an ego drift. Think about it, what other position on the field makes a touchdown and pulls a shopping at they saw? Also true, who sets a cell phone under the gold post? Just in case I get to the eos man? Just receivers who is selling theyself more than any position like one receiver.
Speaker 2: So at the end of the day. They cannot share because they only child mentality.
Speaker 4: And if they don't get enough touches.
Speaker 2: Then somebody gotta pay. Exactly, somebody got pay. They gonna nag, they gonna You ain't never.
Speaker 3: Seen me that I ain't got enough picks like you don't like. No, it'll happen, It'll come to you. But no, I don't ever see them getting together. I don't see it. It's a nice thought, but they're not gonna get together.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: It's just like us waiting on the InSync to get back together. It's just not gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Let's pay some bills and now we're gonna talk with Ryan McGee.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk about his thoughts on Jaye Daniels because he covered them LSU.
Speaker 4: He talked some SEC football. So I can't wait to talk to I.
Speaker 2: Can't wait to either.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: To get live podcasts brought to you by Bet three sixty five, the Fisher Sporting bet partner of the Washington Commander's been on a range in NFL markets with Bet three six five app craft your own personalized bet slip with parlays excess thousands of games with live screaming plays your bet before the match or doing the game.
Speaker 2: It's up to you.
Speaker 3: Download the bet three six five app today enjoying eighty million members worldwide, age twenty one plus only. Must be physically located in Virginia. Gambling problem call takes one eight hundred gambleur mw aa. We don't travel so escape life. We travel so life don't escape us. We dream of any place in the world and the blink of I, we're there. That's the wonder flight.
Speaker 2: All you have to do is decide where to duleys.
Speaker 3: In the national airport. Let you imagination sword book your adventure today at fly Dullies dot com slash nun stop. Maybe you see me there because I'm going on vacation soon.
Speaker 2: Yes I am.
Speaker 4: And you know I like to road trip. Oh I know you do.
Speaker 2: Before I go, like overseas somewhere.
Speaker 3: I like to just take a good old American drive and I stop it in the city along the way.
Speaker 2: Just drop in, Just drop in and take a night take on the city. Love that, Get back up, get some.
Speaker 4: Coffee, to the next sit and do it again.
Speaker 2: And do it again.
Speaker 4: Baby, give us a call, do it for us to it fran. Yeah, she needs somebody to call.
Speaker 1: Yes, she needs something, just leave us something seven O three seven two six seven four nine seven O three seven two six seven one nine.
Speaker 3: And when you called it, and I'm gonna say, I am Mitchell from Mitchellville and I got loud.
Speaker 4: Oh I like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna go back out to the phone lines. In fact, we're gonna go to the video lines and bring in Ryan McGee of Marty McGee and the SEC Network.
Speaker 2: We all understand each other, Southerners.
Speaker 1: Let's get down to it because now we got football season coming up. Training camp starts in around a month there, maybe a little overall month. We got college football as well, so we have a lot to talk about with Ryan McGee from the SEC Networks Marty McGee, ESPN Senior writer. He does a little bit of everything. He knows a lot about a lot. So Rian, thanks for being with us. And let's start in the SEC, particularly with a certain quarterback here in DC and Jade Daniels who obviously played LSU Heisman Trophy wonder, but what did you see in your time covering him in the SEC that you think will make him a good pro?
Speaker 6: So you guys know there's guys with Swiger, right, yep. And there's guys who can play, and a lot of times the guys with the swagger aren't necessarily the guys who can play, you know.
Speaker 5: But but he's both.
Speaker 6: And you know, it's interesting because the way he carries himself is as someone who's been there before. But when you don't see behind the scenes how hard he works.
Speaker 5: You know. I've known Brian Kelly a long time.
Speaker 6: Of course, the head coach lsu is at Notre Dame forever, and what BK talks about all the time is, you know, the quarterback you want is when everybody shows up to watch film, he's already been there for two hours. And when everybody's done working out and they're going out to eat, where's Jaden's He's working out still, you know. And so he's that guy. And if you look at the numbers, and you look and see him going from like what's seventeen to forty touchdowns or whatever familiar to year, and it's not just that, but it's it's the subtle stuff that I don't know if casual football fans get, was just you know, layering, right, and the numbers of the throwing the ball, you know, fifteen to twenty twenty to twenty five. It's just he's just smart and oh, by the way, he's really big and can run. So I just what I like about him is but it's also respectful, you know, as as as as an older member of the media. Now, when I talk to these guys, I like them. See how they they operate in the room, particularly when they get into a room with you know, legends from your school at LSU or arriving for camp and you're dealing with NFL veterans. You know, how do you handle them when you get in the room. So you come in letting them know I think I could be the guy, but you're also respectful of who they are. So that's a really long way of saying I like him. He's one of my favorite players I've ever covered, and I'm I'm rooting for him quite frankly, I am.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna need you to play Devin's advocate right here.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Everybody like to ask about the good things. Tell me some things that you saw him in school that you say, you know what, I think you need to polish this up on the next level.
Speaker 2: I get better at that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, to me, there were times where he would say something like declaring I'm gonna I won't.
Speaker 5: I think I'm gonna the Houser trophy.
Speaker 6: That didn't happen a lot, you know, And and there are times where you kind of catch your breath like all right, now great, but then you back it up. It's hard for me to be mad at you. But but to me, it's it's understanding what that swagger is, Understanding when it's time to check it and when it's not. And there were a couple of moments when you felt like he's telling the line, but then he would really live back in. So you know, I'd love to give you some big, long list of I heard it goes out all the time, or you know whatever, I don't. I don't have that and and and it's to me, that's that's the best comment I can give a kid.
Speaker 2: They say, is everything right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right? So I believe they can.
Speaker 5: Find stuff on me. By the way, so that's why I.
Speaker 3: Know, Well, you know, your friend Smoot used to run through the sec so then you know they can find things.
Speaker 5: I heard the stories.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: You're you're a vault, correct I am?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, So your vault fred within Mississippi State, but I went to Texas. So this is a new era for the SEC coming up in the fall. Yeah, yes, this is sort of a macro view. But how do you see things shaking out? Because man, this conference is gonna be just unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's it's a it's a it's a crazy time. You know, divisions are going away, which I have mixed feelings about, you know, as I want them to make sure they still protect the rivalries, right, I mean, it's a Tennessee alum. I want to make sure that the third Saturday in October remains that. You know, that everybody's playing who they've always played. But it's gonna be a wild year because listen, Georgia's reloaded.
Speaker 5: They're mad.
Speaker 6: You know, the reality is they came within an eyelash of making the Costball playoff again last year. They're angry that they did not. They still think they should have been in it. They're loaded. Alabama's going through that. We have now entered the post Nick saban era and everyone has been talking right right for fifteen years. Everybody's like, what's life gonna be like once that guy freaking retires when now he's retired, and so there. I love Kaitlyn de Bor, you know, who came from Washington. But they're gonna be through a transition. So you can feel everyone thinking, all right, now, we got to take care of business. And oh, by the way, Oklahoma and Texas are playing in the conference now, so it's it's a wild time. But the reality is George is better. We'll see what they do with that, better than everyone in the conference. But that race for number two is wide open.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the races number two, everybody high on Texas and I know Jinx is how his Texas on hou. How do you think the transition for Texas and Oklahoma because this is then between the Big twelve where you're playing you know, you might have the Red River shootout, but then you got three or four games where you can kind of take the week off. How do you think they would fare in the SEC weekend and week out?
Speaker 5: Well, that's it, I mean, that's everything.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I grew up so thirty years ago, right, I grew up in North Carolina, grew up on Tobacco Road. You know, I'm watching NC State in North Carolina, and you know, good but not great programs. Then I went to Tennessee. Mississippi State came in our fresh my freshman year, and I remember calling home and going, this is they treated this like the Orange Bowl, Like these guys are freaking out, like this is Mississippi State, but this is But this is what the conference is, right, And there are no weekends off. There aren't and and I think going forward in this expanded playoff era, there's even fewer weekends off. You're not gonna be able to schedule homecoming like you used to, right, You're not gonna be able to go get an FCS school and do whatever. So it's gonna be interesting, I believe. And I'm not saying this just to make you buy mad. I think Oklahoma is kind of the secret deal in this because everyone saw about Texas and everyone's obsessed with Texas and everyone you know, Texas is just in the playoff all those things. But Norman is one of my favorite places to go to a college football game. You know, I was on Baker Mayfield Watch. I was there all the time when Baker was there. And so I think that no one's talking enough about the fact that going to games at Norman is awesome and the Red River rivalry being a part of the conference. But it's Texas's problem is gonna be They've always been the big room when it comes to meetings, right and decisions. When they walk into the room and Alabama sitting there and George is sitting there, and Tennessee's sitting there, and Texas A and m is sitting there, they're not gonna care what Texas has to say. They'll listen to them, but it's not they don't have five more votes than everyone else. So that a USC going to the Big ten? How are they gonna sit in the room and Michigan Ohio stated are gonna be like, Okay, welcome, we don't really care what you want to do right now because we're Misschigan Ohio State.
Speaker 5: That's the part of all this that I can't wait to see.
Speaker 1: Well, as part of the college football conversation, we've heard the NCAA toss out the idea that walk On's maybe should be eliminated from college football partially because of nil, which I think would.
Speaker 4: Just want to destroy part of the fabric of the game. Am I off here?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a weird time right now. And what I say all the time is is. I love Saturday football. I love Sunday football, but I like the fact that the NFL looks like the NFL and the college football looks like college football.
Speaker 5: And when you start like os fall is going to have.
Speaker 6: A two minute warning, right, Uh, they've already changed the way that stop the clock, you know on first downs. You know they're getting the MIC's in the helmets. It's just subtle stuff, you know, expanded playoffs. This it's going to start in August, it's going to end to end of January. Why are you trying to lock the NFL. The NFL is awesome, but let them be them and let college be college. And so those are the things like what you're talking about that I worry. As long as the games feel the same on Saturday, they'll be okay. But the more you tweak it, and the more you tweak it, and the more you tweak it and make it feel like the NFL because it's free agency now, right, I mean, it's we're going we're going to perhaps one day an NFC AFC type situation. Why you know you're unique, so stay unique. The NFL is unique. The NFL hadn't change your thing to be about college They've had a lot of chances over the years, they won't do it so because they want to be them.
Speaker 5: So that I want.
Speaker 6: To make sure that the games stay unique, because that's why we love them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm with you on that one because as a guy that was in that college locker room, we watched those guys that walk on and we yes, we like, like we get a passion for them. Like it's like we don't get Santana Moss in the NFL out rudy rulings. We don't get these guys without being able to walk on.
Speaker 2: So I think it's the heart, the heartbeat.
Speaker 3: Like it's like everybody wants to be the star of a college team, but to say you was a part of a team, to me is everything. Not it don't matter how many games we won, but to be a teammate with some of them guys, I think that's the fabric of college football.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you guys know how valuable they are. I mean, you know, the Scout Team, Scout Team, man and the Scout Team. Most of those half of us guys walk ons, and so it's you know, and they work so hard to learn the offense and.
Speaker 5: To learn the defense and the opponents is coming up.
Speaker 6: When I was a student at Tennessee, uh you know a manion years ago, I worked for the football team in the video office, and so I would come in for two days in August and they would just put us in the dorm and I would room with walk ons. And I can tell you that, guys, we're working harder anybody else. But Baker Mayfield, who I just mentioned, was walking a couple of times. Imagine college football, Imagine the NFL without Baker Mayfield, you know, And if you don't give him the opportunity to get in the car with his mom or drive to Lubbock and try to walk on because no one else would give him a chance, well then I just taking away those stories. I mean, Brian Bullsworth of Arkansas, you mentioned Rudy. I know Notre Dame fans get divided about Rudy. I spent a whole day with Rudy one time in Las Vegas. I can't imagine being a football fan and not knowing who Rudy Rudy was. So it just again, if you start messing with the fabric of the game, and to me, red shirt or how great are this videos? That we all love of the Red Shirt guys getting their scholarship because they earned it. I can't imagine not having that. I just think that's dumb.
Speaker 1: Yep, Ryan, I saw you on Pat McAfee just a few days ago and they asked you to throw a football hit the target so that some fans will win five hundred dollars and with all of that pressure on.
Speaker 4: Yea, absolutely, so tell us about that experience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you just uh, it was like if you've seen the movie Old School when Frank the tank blacks out during Yeah. Yeah, I had no idea that was coming, you know. So the Thunderdome is a church. It's an old church in the suburbs of Indianapolis, and it was the church of what they weren't using anymore. Pat bought it turned out. But the place is big, like that's a big floor. But yeah, they were making fun of me. I took like three steps and I'm left handed, and they started calling me Steve Young and all that stuff. But I know, but I'm retired by the way I nailed it. I mean air melt it, you know, and in cornhole will call it airmand I air melt it went right in and I was like, and I now, I told padam never doing that again.
Speaker 5: I don't care if you ever have me back. I ain't doing it.
Speaker 6: I'm one for one and I'm retiring. Uh, I'm retiring with my gold medal.
Speaker 3: By the way, how fun is it to just be around Pat? I got chance to play against Pat while I was in the NFL. And you know, kickers don't usually have the most upbeat personalities and punters. Now, how fun is Pat McAfee. I love his energy. I always have. How about yourself?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and listen, all kickers from a different planet, we can all agree on that, right, Yea?
Speaker 5: They owned that.
Speaker 6: I mean we had got a Tennessee when I was there in the John Becksport, never missed an extra point, pretty sextra points.
Speaker 5: You ever saw? John had snakes, you know.
Speaker 6: In his apartment, Like they're just they're just different dudes, right, But he's now he's the best.
Speaker 5: I just the big thing was I was there.
Speaker 6: It was Indian applets to cover the Napolis five hundred, which I cover motorsports, and so I'm at the racetrack. I drive up to do the show and those guys are the best. I went to the Pacers Celtics playoff game whether the next night, and it was They're just they treated me right, and it was but.
Speaker 5: They're uniquely them.
Speaker 6: But yeah, Patt has All kickers are weird, but Pat has taken it to a much higher and or more entertaining level.
Speaker 3: Now, speaking of the NY five hundred, you know, I'm a big Gibbs racing guy. You know, I'm a big Joe Gibbs. I got that definitely. Could you tell us what you saw at the Indy five hundred?
Speaker 2: How was it?
Speaker 3: And most people don't know I have been in pitt roll because of Coach Gibbs. Uh, it's loud, it's thunderous, and that pit crew they are athletes.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, they know they are.
Speaker 6: And that's changed a lot, you know, at Indy and then so I did the double that day. I was with the race car darn and Kyle Larson who did the Indy five hundred, and then he did the Coach Cola six hundred down in Charlotte and in the same day tried to But yeah, one of the biggest changes when it comes to NASCAR, IndyCar, any of it since.
Speaker 5: I started covering it, you know, twenty five years ago.
Speaker 6: Is that it used to be the guys who worked in the shop, the mechanics would also pit the car on the weekends. And I remember Dale Jarrett, who drove for Joe Gibbs, had a pit crew and they called him the over the belt game because you guys have big bellies. They drink barrel Friday night, Saturday night and then go pitt the car. But now you walk up down to Pitt Lane. Everyone played Coss football.
Speaker 5: Everyone.
Speaker 6: I mean guys who played for Nick Saban, guys who played for Dublis Winny and Clemson. I mean, you want guys who played at apt State. You walk up and down and it is athletes because they figured out there's a competitive advantage to have an athletes. And you guys know, when you're done playing, whether you play college football, pro football, you know, basketball, whatever, you're itching for competition. So it was not hard when they started. They literally would hold open tryouts. They'd have scouts like the NFL Draft, they have scouts guys that the trainers for most of these these teams. Of course, you know, coach Gibs brought his NFL kind of business model with him, the racing and these they would have talent scouts to go out and watch small college football games and you know, in the highest level and say, you're probably not gonna play in the NFL, but if you just want to stay in sports once you come, try to be a tire changer. And so it's had a huge effect. But it also again the fact guys will Pit Lane are gone. I walk down there now and it's like, you know, it's like I'm on the sideline.
Speaker 3: Away with the fan guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, if you like NASCAR, good chance you probably like country music as well. And you were at CMA Fest recently, so I wanted to ask you about some of the country artists that you've met and who's your favorite, maybe just someone that you've interacted with.
Speaker 4: You got a just a great experience with oh we.
Speaker 6: So it was funny because there was kind of this line, right, I mean, I love country music, but I don't listen to a lot of new stuff.
Speaker 5: You know, I listened. I listened to the new stuff of the old guys, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, all that.
Speaker 6: But but Luke Luke Luke Bryan came in to talk to us, and Marty and Marty I both known Luke through NASCAR stuff. And that guy is the best man. He's he is if you ever watch American Idol, that's exactly.
Speaker 5: Who he is. That's just who he is. That's just who he's gonna be.
Speaker 6: But you know, uh talking to Ward Treaty, Uh that the couple that is kind of changing, I mean literally changing the face of country music right now. And they were about to walk out there to a sellout crowd at Nissan Stadium. But yeah, we but but then we had the young ones come in and Dasha and like Breeland. They were awesome, but the way that they became country music stars and got country music deals was like through TikTok. And then you know, we're talking to Thomas Rhett, who was old school, got on the bus, went to Nashville, was his guitar, grinded it out, wrote songs and became a star. It was interesting. It's kind of like you know football, you know, the way that you did it twenty years ago is not the way you do it now. The way you work out, the way you're scouted, the way you're drafted, the way you're signed, and so it was really interesting to talk to the young people.
Speaker 5: But so.
Speaker 6: Luke Brian tells us this story. Tim Tebow has this heisman trophy, and Tim does this amazing thing where you can at this big charity auction at Tim's you can keep Tim's trophy for like six months, just do whatever you want with it, but all the money goes to Tim's foundation. And so Luke Brian, you know, paid a big amount of money and had Tim's heisman with him and an a major League baseball player who shall remain nameless.
Speaker 5: His last name is La Roche.
Speaker 6: He was staying with Luke and saw the massive like box, like this big shipping container that the heisman comes in. And apparently La Roche has this habit of doodling on stuff, like with a sharpie and he likes to draw uh anatomical part you can see like a and apparently he covered Tim Tebow's the box that Tim Tebow's heisman came in with this duel, it's Tim Tebow.
Speaker 2: It goes out.
Speaker 6: So Luke just tells the story just like whatever, like any old story. But he's he's the best man. And Marty and I shot a commercial a couple of years with Luke Combs, who wasn't on our CN based vecial, but that guy, I mean he's he's in North Carolinia like me. You know, he went to out state. Was a bouncer at the door at this country music club and their boon and it's just cool to meet these guys. It's like out of body experience.
Speaker 3: First of all, to me, a bouncer at country at country music club.
Speaker 2: You know, he know how put them dukes up? My Yeah.
Speaker 3: My favorite guy that I got to meet was Willy Nelson in a rodeo in Mississippi. Now y'all know how that went now, But I thought, I just thought Willie was sought of the earth because as a person that has made it to the pinnacle of the job that I want to be, I made sure I kept my feet on the ground.
Speaker 2: Like he showed me that at an early age.
Speaker 3: No matter how how much you succeed and how much you do, you still got to be a real person in Willing Nelson.
Speaker 2: I get profitted Willing Nelson.
Speaker 6: At the time, it's the biggest compliment. Yeah, biggest call can't give anyone, is uh. When I worked at ESPN a whole life, Bob Lee, the legendary you know broadcaster. He used to talk about red light fever and how you're being. Being famous will change a person. You know, being on TV will change a person. That red light that comes on the camera you're on TV. And the biggest compliment I can give an athlete, an actor, a musician, you know someone in my business is are you? Are you the same person now that you are or performed? But I knew who you were and uh and and you know Will it WILLI I'll get this sinceity Will has money and Will is famous, but I get the sincere impression that Willy is exactly now like he was you know when he was writing Crazy for Patsy Klein in the sixties.
Speaker 5: You know, he's just a dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a dude to dude. That's what I like to call round.
Speaker 1: One thing I love about your body of work is that you touch on a lot of different things. You know about wrestling as well. And every now and then in football, we'll see could be a sprinter, could be a wrestler. We'll see someone cross crossover and see if that athleticism translate. Like right now we have Gable Steveson, who is an Olympic gold medalist, was a champion wrestler. I believe in Minnesota and here he is trying out for the Buffalo Bills right now. We you experienced that with Brocklester Minnesota. So what are the realistic possibilities And why doesn't that athleticism always translate.
Speaker 6: Well, it's funny because it doesn't translate like going from wrestling to football. But the history of wrestling is just a bunch of football players. I mean, you know, I'm a I'm a full horseman guy, right, I mean, I'm old school eighties.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I just saw Arn Anderson, former mayor of Knoxville. I just saw Arn Anderson at a comic book convention a couple of weeks ago. Father's Day. Took a picture with him and everything. But you know, they played college football. You know, his sons played college football. They were wrestlers, and you know a lot of the Four Horsemen they all played football, I think at Texas State, like for the Bobcats. So there's all this. You know, the Tomo, Minnesota Rick Flairs where he's from. So there was there's always it always works that way. I don't know, but but I know I can't imagine smooth. What was it like in the locker room though? No, no coronner and these guys getting stories right now.
Speaker 3: No, brock was a star when he made it to the team already, like he was one of these guys that was super established. So as much as people loved us because we was in NFL, people people was coming to training camp to see brock Lesner like brock Lesnar the wrestler, and it was it's so funny, I'll never forget. We're doing drills right, We're doing uh dB drills and D line drills and I looked down at the D line and I see him just wrestling, like he's not coming off the ball.
Speaker 2: He's not making football moves, He's wrestling.
Speaker 3: And so we started talking around locker room, what do we think the reason why he's not acclimating this fast? And I said, because, uh, it's a difference between when you a weightlifting and a powerlifter. I think wrestlers are powerlifters, and in that power you stiff in your muscles. In football, you need to have some flexibility, no matter if you're playing offensive line, defensive line, tackle, no matter what you're doing, you need to have some bend.
Speaker 2: And what I see with him is he couldn't bend in.
Speaker 3: Certain situations because he was so stiff, but the superstar. Oh he still had to stop out.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, the sport where they literally all they do is teach you holds and that in a sport where you can't the one thing you can't do is hold right. Yeah, yeah, it's uh, but it's I remember years ago one of my favorite stories I wrote was to make a and spent time with Usain Bolt and this is when he was at the height of his powers, fastest man in the world. He was asking me questions about football. He's, man, I got these American football people call me, and I'm like, I love.
Speaker 5: To see you run some routes, right, I mean, just try it, right, I mean, you know, I just.
Speaker 6: I went to Tennessee. I told about Willie Yall, I go Willi's doing. He just outran everybody. I said, I like your chances of getting open. I just don't know if you can catch. So I love I love it when when guys try to make crossovers and why.
Speaker 3: Not, right, why Well, you know what the one thing I can say about track guys when it comes to football to play wide receiver, it's just not the ability to run fans, this ability to stop. And that's where they're not good at the don't They don't have the ability to stop right there, And I think that what bends them to they will. And by the way, since you like guy that cross over sports, I'm thinking about going pro and bowling.
Speaker 2: What you think about that? He's bowling ready for me?
Speaker 6: Bowling could use you, So yeah, dude, I'm all for it. Yeah, Hey, I tell you track stories. So my dad was a college football official forever. He was a downfield official.
Speaker 5: He's been.
Speaker 6: He was downfield with smooth, he was uh. He was a field judge, side judge, back judge. And he had a game at West Virginia and Dad always prided himself on getting to the goal line, you know, even before the fast guys, because I mean he's got a twenty yard head start and uh and that, and Dad was always quick. But Dad had a game in West Virginia where uh guy received a punt and took off and Dad's backing up and he's like, oh, this guy is gonna break one. And before Dad could get turned around, he said the guy went past him like a Ferrari and.
Speaker 5: It was it was James Jet.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 6: So my dad goes to uh the coaching staff at West Virginia and went, who the hell was that guy? And they go, that guy, that guy just won a medal into four by one hundred bars a little Olympics.
Speaker 4: That was okay.
Speaker 5: I don't know what is bad the goal line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I totally understand.
Speaker 3: I'm where Pop's right there, continued and he's Ryan McGee.
Speaker 1: You see him on Marty and McGee on the SEC Network, also senior writer for ESPN. MI.
Speaker 4: We really appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: And I know you're in Omaha at the College World Series of good luck to your vass tonight.
Speaker 5: Hey, I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: And if you ever get a chance to come out here, I love this event so much, even if your team's out here. Miss super State's here a lot so smooth, I speak to see out of Texas is too right. I mean there's two legendary programs, but yeah tonight A and M and Tennessee. Not the one of ever won of college will tis so uh yeah, somebody is gonna be a first time champion, so it'd be fun.
Speaker 3: And I love championshipions just SEC on SEC. That just show how dumbin it, Like I tell people, like I was in the Bob shop the other day. They were like, why is I always we and why the ain't just missup states. I said, first of all, we don't rock like that. It's us against the world, baby sec or nothing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, well I told somebody in the hotel ear listen, is this good for the sport to have on all sec final I don't know us.
Speaker 5: It's good for Marty.
Speaker 3: McGee, it's good, So it's good for me.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you guys, you man, thank you for coming on.
Speaker 4: Before we move on and we're gonna talk southernisms.
Speaker 2: Yes we are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's coming up. We got to tell you about GK. Yeah. Please do We love seek and we do. It is official.
Speaker 1: They are the official ticketing partner of the Washington Commanders. The Dealers Finalize. They are the newest member of the family here in Ashbourn. If you haven't heard the name yet, you get used to it, Memorize it. Love it because whether you're selling it or buying tickets to any event in the DMV could be Commander's games as well. Seat Geek is the place to do it. The new official ticketing partner of the Washington Commanders. So Commanders fans can I like we probably.
Speaker 3: Could change it to the end for Commander's fan can command.
Speaker 4: Oh and fan and fan.
Speaker 1: Ryan, Yes, Tennessee volunteer. You're in Mississippi state, Bulb. I'm a Texas long one. We're all from the South. So before we wrap things up, Anna has put southernisms yeah on pieces of paper here, So we're gonna open them up and read them, and we're gonna discuss if we've heard them or not.
Speaker 2: And I want to know up that we're gonna validate them. Yes, yes, because you know, because you google something, don't mean, don't mean it's true.
Speaker 4: Man, she used the Google.
Speaker 2: Sit Yes, because she's young.
Speaker 1: They do.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: We could have just called out here, talk to each other and like, yeah, this is what we say. This is what we don't say.
Speaker 4: What you got you tell me?
Speaker 1: This is legitimize caddy wampus when something is slightly askew or going in the wrong direction.
Speaker 4: I have not heard caddywamp.
Speaker 2: Is that from Oregon? Because that's not something I've never heard that.
Speaker 3: My mama has never came out to the door and say, you know, catty swamps to the store. Anna, Oh, for one, Yeah, I don't gonna say that's totally not the South, right there. I'm sorry y'all, y'all blame us for a lot that won't be one of them.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: You can make a silk purse out of a soul ear, meaning you can make some pretty out of some ugly.
Speaker 2: No, it's not Southern.
Speaker 4: I haven't heard that. I've heard it, but I've never I've heard it on the internet.
Speaker 2: I've yeah, I'm for two Oprah.
Speaker 3: Yes, come on, do you know what's doing? That's what we have to ask this dude of the game. Do you know what what you got?
Speaker 1: If you ask someone if they know the word caddy wampus, you may not know a Southern.
Speaker 4: He could eat corn through a picket fence.
Speaker 3: I've heard that word, that one that just means he got a big old mouth. Yeah, that dude right there, Okay, all right, he looked like his daddy.
Speaker 2: What they say?
Speaker 3: That'sid You know, when they want to say you ugly downside, they say you look like your dad. Okay, if this ain't just the most dolly pardon right here, Well, butter my backside and call me a biscuit. I have heard, well, butter my biscuits, that's what I have heard.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, but my backside and.
Speaker 2: Call me a biscuit.
Speaker 1: I just heard, well what are my biscuits?
Speaker 3: All right, Well we'll give you a half a point for that.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know a Southerner.
Speaker 3: Heaven's to Betsy, Yes, most.
Speaker 2: De do we know what that means? Mean? I still don't know what you mean.
Speaker 4: After all the time, I have no clue.
Speaker 5: I have no clue.
Speaker 2: This is not Southern.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, like before you even read it, high fluting, high faluting, high I've heard high fluting.
Speaker 2: Tell me what high pollute me is?
Speaker 4: It means uppity?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, uppity.
Speaker 4: So you think you're better than me, you're so high put.
Speaker 3: I don't think somebody like you know that French moot.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're saying South is in Texas more?
Speaker 4: I have heard high polluting?
Speaker 2: All right, we gant that.
Speaker 7: Okay, here we go, high fluting amazon a run now run, I am high faluting? Oh yes, over yonder, over yonder. That's definitely over yonder. Yes, you learn that is your third word. Ya'm a daddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, as a Southerner, do we know the mathematically measurements of a yonder?
Speaker 2: Is a yonder it's a yonder like one hundred yards as a younger varies.
Speaker 4: That's like out in the sticks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how far is out in the sticks outside the city?
Speaker 4: Yeah, outside of the cities out there over yonder? What is that?
Speaker 3: I don't know the mathematical measurements for a younger, because I've never heard nobody say, you know what, I think it's like ten youngers down there.
Speaker 4: They just say, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: They could be mild, like I went to stow it over yonder.
Speaker 4: How many feet are in yonder?
Speaker 2: We do not need to ask that question to some southern yonder.
Speaker 4: All right, This one right here is so great.
Speaker 2: Grandmama's used it at a high light O bless your.
Speaker 4: Oh, because you can use it one of two ways. It can be bless your heart or bless your you know, like yeah, yeah, like I'm talking down to you, like, well, good luck, bless your heart.
Speaker 3: My grandmama because she didn't hold mama smoota smooth, didn't hold up mound.
Speaker 4: Now, so if she would like see like we know these things. Is is this?
Speaker 3: Nobody want to talk about it. Yes, but my grandma would see like an ugly little child.
Speaker 6: And be like you.
Speaker 2: Have seen that yes, you know what.
Speaker 1: My girlfriend and her mom they're both from South Carolina, right, their southern as well, and instead of blessing heart, they just shortened.
Speaker 4: They'll go like if they see an ugly baby, yeah, less.
Speaker 2: They don't even finish.
Speaker 3: My grandma'll be like, blessen is hord, I hope you get a good jobs.
Speaker 2: That's even worse. You won't even finish your frae you ge all right?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah yeah, headling, fitland feeling headling, you're just fitling wasting time?
Speaker 2: All right? I got I thought you finished a feeler?
Speaker 3: Oh no, oh fitting up, feeling fitting, I'm feeling and I'm fixing too.
Speaker 2: Fixing to the question is how do they very is fixing too? Because if your mom be like, hey make their bed up, I'm fixing to thank you, you won't say I'm feeling.
Speaker 4: You say i'm fixing too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you're going to the store, what are you about to do?
Speaker 4: Finnergirls? Store?
Speaker 2: Listen?
Speaker 4: You can only use that phrase with certain things that you're doing.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, Like the words have different things to them. That's what I make all right, This is the last one.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I think it's you.
Speaker 2: You're me.
Speaker 4: I'm losing track here. Let's see all right, last one. This is a good one. Okay, this doesn't make a heel of beans. Oh I know that one? Something just worthless? Yeah, worthless. They're not a hell. You can't even make a hill of My high school.
Speaker 2: Coach told me that is that right. I came ninth grade. I was like one hundred pounds.
Speaker 4: I was like five six.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like them fixing too, be the best player you ever coach. That don't make a hell of bean, That don't make a hill of bean.
Speaker 4: I love high school coaches.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: They come up with the craziest No, but the.
Speaker 2: High school coaches are very honest. Oh yes, on how they feel. Now, Now I got something too. I had to look on the internet to see what they had.
Speaker 4: Okay, they had over young They had.
Speaker 1: The spinning image of spinning image, Yeah, image of spinning image of He's a spinning image of his daddy.
Speaker 3: He's supposed to look like his daddy, like, I don't know why, Yeah, yeah, daddy cute.
Speaker 2: No, what do you call.
Speaker 4: A Coca cola? Pepsi? Downside? When I was going up, everything was a coke, even even like a fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I'm gonna have a coke.
Speaker 1: And then as I got older, I'm like, wait a second, people actually say I'm gonna have a sprider, I have a doctor pepper, I have a pepsi.
Speaker 4: But it just used to be i'ma have a coke.
Speaker 2: Down South Mississippi, we used to say pop.
Speaker 4: Oh you said pop?
Speaker 3: Okay, we ain't say soda pop. Some people say soa or pop are pop?
Speaker 2: We say pop?
Speaker 4: I mean we hot, hot wet said the cutting us off.
Speaker 2: We gotta get over yonder. We set them off. We're fishing to close this out. We fit to close this out because it got loud.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.