Speaker 1: On this episode of This League, the NBA is coming down on the dumbest thing called tampering that we've ever seen. And JJ Reddick knows and think he thinks he knows who is to.
Speaker 2: Blame, David fucking Griffin. All right, let's get into it, Marty. Drop the beating.
Speaker 3: To take care and you'll be waiting for a splendet the grand life. Go let me go, and everybody knows.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about tampering as a whole, but let's first start with the news because I have lots of thoughts on the.
Speaker 2: Whole concept of tampering.
Speaker 1: The one liner just for those who want to like skip to the end, I think it's bullshit. But uh, the news is this, As we know, the Heat are under intense scrutiny with how the whole Kyle Lowry thing went down.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are now under.
Speaker 1: Investigation from the NBA into potential quote unquote tampering in their acquisition of Kyle Lowry on a sign and trade with Toronto. But they were in talks at the deadline for Kyle Lowry, so that's some other element of this news. But how did the NBA get tipped off about this? How did the NBA decide they wanted to investigate the Miami Heat well beyond the fact that the deal went down and got announced at six forty five PM. Very complex deal, multiple pieces. But JJ Reddick, a noted scorned former Pelican, thinks he knows exactly how play the clip bulls.
Speaker 4: But what's the point of the league even doing these sort of like investigations where nothing's going to come of it. It's it's a little bit for show, probably, I guess, I don't know. I think you'd probably have to ask the guy who's asking for the investigation. Yeah, I mean there was you know, some teams like cleared a ton of cap space to get Kyle and it didn't happen, and then you know Lonzo leaving.
Speaker 5: So you'd have to ask that guy.
Speaker 4: All right, guy complaining, so to.
Speaker 1: Recap, he's talking about his former GM David Griffin, who has problems with and what he's referring to is that the Pelicans made moves to clear thirty five million dollars in cap space to pay Kyle Lowry anything Kyle Lowry wanted to overpay for Kyle Lowry. Essentially, Kyle Lowry was an integral part of their off season plans, yes, that were thwarted by the Miami Heat doing the sign and trade with Precious at Chulia and Goran Dragicic to replace Lonzo Ball. And then Lonzo Ball of course, didn't want to stay with a team that really didn't give a fuck about him. They had been, you know, basically trashing Lonzo Ball this the entire season. We had discussed it multiple times in the Pod. He was being used at a position and then swoop swoop, he'd get Lowry right from under their nose.
Speaker 2: And we knew that was happening the day.
Speaker 1: Before free agency, which is why the Lonzo Ball deal got done at literally six' oh. One, yes that was the first, deal which is important to note because The chicago deal got done with The New Orleans pelicans basically the most tampering with that side in, trade where it Was Thomas saturanski And Garrett temple For Lonzo ball.
Speaker 2: On this sign and.
Speaker 1: Trade, so to, me the strange wild thing About David, Griffin griffin pressing THE nba to launch an investigation into The Miami, Heat it's, like, bruh.
Speaker 2: You got your own tampering problems to worry.
Speaker 1: About you are you are the drug dealer that pushes major weight, COCAINE, pcp, heroin and you're, like, hey my neighbor is selling donbags out of his trunk of his.
Speaker 2: Car it's like The Miami heat were on the.
Speaker 1: Fucking one yard line With Kyle lowry at the trade, deadline couldn't make the deal done because they didn't want to get rid Of tyler Hero they figured out a way.
Speaker 2: To do the, deal and you obviously are tampering.
Speaker 1: More and now you're, like go get Pat.
Speaker 2: Riley what the? Fuck it's like mafia don Pat. Riley like if anyone's.
Speaker 1: Trying to pin a legal activity on Pat, riley that's literally like trying to pin a.
Speaker 5: Murder On John.
Speaker 2: Gottie like it's just not gonna.
Speaker 1: Happen like it's just Pat riley is absolved FROM nba. Scrutiny nothing's gonna. Happen it's gonna it's a little slap on the.
Speaker 5: Wrist. Right but so there's HEAVY i, MEAN i don't know exactly if there's an investigation going, on but there's. Heavy actually there, is like into The. Pelicans so did that occur because he went and talked about The, HEAT i, think and it just. BACKFIRED i think it.
Speaker 1: Was that's. Funny Bobby marks was like fifteen seconds into the, thing The Chicago pelicans deal goes. Down, yeah obviously it's not Just chicago that's going to get. Dinged New orleans is going to get dianned because it's the same. Deal it's like both sides of that trade have to be investigated and.
Speaker 5: It's going to be worse because they lost the. Trade and like the only thing going for The pelicans right now is that they've accumulated so many draft picks they're probably going to lose.
Speaker 2: Something they're going to probably lose some draft.
Speaker 1: Picks and on top of, THAT i don't know if you know, this BUT i looked into the maximum amount of fines for.
Speaker 2: Tampering do you know what that number? Is no idea ten million dollars for?
Speaker 5: Tampering and so does that like affect the cap for the next? Year, mike that's kind of. Why, yeah that's.
Speaker 1: Wild so you've Got David griffin play and connect for with the Gram master Of, chess and it's just it's just so so. FUNNY i love THAT Jj reddick knew immediately that it's Like David griffin is the salty Balls tattletale trying to saddle Pat riley with this tampering. Investigation it's, like, bro what the fuck are you? Doing so, funny but not as funny to me as like the fact that the league is trying to pedal to us that tampering is something that we should be outraged, about that we should all be trying to crack the whip on players and teams and agents and. Gms like tampering is like a, rollie not a, Stopwatch like it is happening at all. Times it don't ever. Stop the only time tampering doesn't stop is when THE nba says that it's legal and they lift the. Moratorium that's the only time it's it's legal and not. Happening that's the only, time because it's always.
Speaker 5: Happening like, YEAH i mean it's a silly. Thing, Hey it's just it's impossible to police because you can't stop players from. Talking you just. CAN'T i, mean they're gonna, talk they're gonna talk about how they can team, up and that just that just. Happens and like the people that end up getting punished for, it it often is like pretty, Silly like a lot of the. Fine LIKE i remember When Steve kerr was THE gm of The, suns he said, like oh, Yeah lron wants to take the mid level, exception we take, him and he got fined for tampering for.
Speaker 1: That so it's Like Draymond green got fined On, UH i want to SAY nba NOT nba, Countdown oh inside THE nba side THE nba when he said something about like That Devin booker needed the.
Speaker 5: League, yeah, yeah, WELL i mean it's just so.
Speaker 1: Stupid it's like literally these or When Magic johnson said something positive about another player and it's, like you think that's. Tampering let me let me tell you what's really going.
Speaker 5: On, yeah, no It's i've always thought tampering is just the dumbest thing in THE U tar.
Speaker 1: World apparently right now it's bubbling. Up it's becoming a hot topic At Summer. League SO espn just reported this. Quote most team executives are quick to blame the competitive market that forces their hand by requiring them to either make offers in, advance well in advance of free agency, opening or being risk being left out in the coal.
Speaker 2: When the market officially.
Speaker 1: Opens according to, them agents approached them and inform them weeks weeks Before august.
Speaker 5: Second.
Speaker 2: Saying you need to make bids within.
Speaker 1: Twenty four hours or risk being missing out on the most attractive.
Speaker 5: Targets, yeah makes.
Speaker 1: Sense so executives say that the solution that they see is just to allow teams and agents to negotiate as soon as the season. Concludes this is the worst kept secret on. Earth this is What Mark stein, said which was his example of how very obvious the tampering. IS i got a tip from a trusted source check Out Daniel tice To houston four, years thirty six. Million the, tip which proved, correct was floated to me.
Speaker 2: On july twenty.
Speaker 5: Ninth that was.
Speaker 1: Drafted that was also nearly four full days before the scheduled start OF nba free agency On august. Second tyson's eventual deal with The rockets was one of roughly one hundred and twenty contracts and extensions agreed upon by various media outlets in the first forty EIGHT a lot of deals going down in the first forty eight hours of the open.
Speaker 5: Market, well we joked about. It we were, like, like imagine What woja's scheduled tweets look like right?
Speaker 1: Now, yeah exactly where he says the league's supposed opening bill is much closer to the end of free agency than the.
Speaker 2: Beginning how Niche.
Speaker 1: It's not Like Kyle lowry to The heat where we all could kind of guess, that Like Daniel tye four, years thirty six million to The Houston. ROCKETS i, mean that's a smoking gun right. There so let's just stop the. BULLSHIT i don't understand then the rule needs to. CHANGE i don't know why there's a moratorium between the end of the end of the season and the beginning of the free.
Speaker 2: Agency there's really no need to.
Speaker 1: Wait imagine if you opened up free agency as soon as the season concluded before the, draft how much better teams would actually.
Speaker 5: DRAFT i mean that's how THE nfl does. It they do free agency before the, draft, Right, Yeah i've always thought that kind of made more. Sense. UH I mean the only problem with it is if, like, oh so you you open it right when the season, ends like people are just going to like be negotiating during the playoffs and so so it's like no one's ever going to follow these. Rules that's like the, Thing so just like lift it, Completely like why do we need this as a.
Speaker 1: RULE i think free agency should be negotiated like in the last year of your, deal decide where you want to, go like it's never not going to, happen so that as soon as your season ends you can just decide you can.
Speaker 5: Just, WELL i guess the reason is the owners want it because they want to be able to negotiate with their players exclusively and stuff like. That THAT'S i guess the. Reason but it's STILL i, mean just.
Speaker 2: Lock your players up before their free.
Speaker 5: Agency that and just, yeah no one's ever going to follow these, rules.
Speaker 1: And no, one no one make it make. Sense that's all the time that we have for this week. Podcast please, like please, Subscribe please rate and review On Apple podcasts and On.
Speaker 2: Spotify please go find us on.
Speaker 1: YouTube i think we are creeping at two thousand subscribers on. YouTube please find us on TikTok as. Well please find us On twitter or On. Instagram marty kills these YouTube edits and you can see his.
Speaker 2: Face it is the only place you can See marty's, Face so please go. There we will.
Speaker 1: See you obviously along the, way along the way with little sprinkled, takes but also we will see You friday morning for the next big episode we out.
Speaker 6: Come Onday.
Speaker 7: Falls it's sound to risk it.
Speaker 6: All say hello to the big, dog say goodbye to. Falls keep it ant and keep it on and keep it down and people so that we don't a live no no no bow, pole no no no bow. Pole you a slow pole all. Black you state Whoa i'm the, Best i'm the. Best skates closed rockcam. ROCK i ain't no.
Speaker 7: Joke give me, that give me, that give, me give me, that give me, that give me.
Speaker 5: THAT i want this and now what you MEAN i can't have?
Speaker 6: That stand your, Lane Lois lana skirt skirred on, Him stay your, Lane Penny lana skirt skirred on.
Speaker 7: Him big, big big big, dog big, dog big, dog walk, in big, dog walk in with the. Dog i'm gonna risk it. All i'm a risk it. All i'm a risk it all a lie lie big big big big, dog big, dog big, dog walk, in big, dog walk in with the. Dog i'm a risk it. All i'm a risk it. All i'm a risk it.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 6: Lie oh you got a risk it just to get a?
Speaker 7: Biscuit?
Speaker 6: Biscuit how many licks does it take the? Liquord she won a lictor, trapper but she already to elect a. Rapper oh, my oh, my so fly fly, SIX i stay, FLY i stay fly quality just to get. BY i want it all out a piece of the. Pie everybody eats, everybody and we keep all of the, receipts swing goods and we live in.
Speaker 5: Goods we could have made it.
Speaker 7: Up about the.
Speaker 6: Hood give me, that give me, that give me, that give me, that give me, that give me.
Speaker 5: THAT i want this and that what you?
Speaker 3: MEAN i can't have?
Speaker 6: That stan You, Lane Lois lana starts skirt on. Him stag, You, Lane Penny, lena.
Speaker 7: Start skirt on. Him big, big big big, doll big, doll big, dog walk. In don't walk in with the. Dog i'm gonna risk it. All i'm risk get. All i'm a risk it. All big, big big big, dog big, dog big dog, walking big, dog walk in with the. Dog i'm a risk it. All i'm a risk it. All i'm a risk it.
Speaker 1: All