Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it, We did it. We made it to the final hour on this Friday. Morale is high. Although Pauli's not here today, but we have smoky meatball palms, sandwiches, curly fries.
Speaker 3: Who has it better than we knew?
Speaker 4: No body?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I went out and sampled them, and then Fritzi tried to kind of jump into the big pot where all the meatballs, where I said, no, no, this is what I do. I test the food before it served to you guys on a meat Friday.
Speaker 3: This is what I'm willing to do. And I did that for you.
Speaker 6: Yes, you see, the size though of those subs is like six meatballs. Like in just one of those sandwiches. We each get a full one of those. We're cutting those in thirds of halves. I don't know, Tapper, if you would like a full I really would.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you would like a full one, I think you're taking a full one or you're just gonna put two together.
Speaker 6: So I'll just touch all of them, which I've been known to do, and then I'll just have all of it because no one's gonna want to touch it after I touched.
Speaker 2: It eight seven seven three DP Show email ADDRESSEDDPA Dan Patt dot Com Twitter handle. A DP Show stat of the day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Booker McFarlane on loan for the Mothership will join us.
Speaker 3: We stumbled upon this topic.
Speaker 2: I was watching Ace ben sur a pet detective yesterday while I was in between scenes for the Adam Sandler movie Happy Gilmour Too, and and Marvin brought up, is this a Chris or this a sports movie?
Speaker 3: Kind of like Diehard is at a Christmas movie?
Speaker 2: And I said, yeah, I mean lace is out. I mean that always comes up if somebody misses a kick. Dan Marino's in there, super Bowl rings, there's no football action.
Speaker 3: I said, yeah, you want to include that.
Speaker 2: Then all of a sudden it got to the point where the five or six year run that Jim Carrey was on at a certain point in his career, and then people brought up other runs by like Will Ferrell or Harrison Ford.
Speaker 3: Joe Peshy's name came up.
Speaker 2: Then we had people who said how about these like Alfred Hitchcock is a director from nineteen fifty eight to nineteen sixty two. Vertigo north by Northwest Psycho. Alfred Hitchcock presents how About Steph Curry from twenty fifteen to twenty nineteen two MVPs, five finals appearances, three titles, one scoring title. How about Eminem from nineteen ninety nine to two thousand and three, Eminem By the way, We'll be in Happy Gilmore two. So he released Slim Shady, Marshall Mathers Eminem show that was ninety nine, two thousand and two thousand and two, Start an eight mile in two thousand and two. He also won the Academy Award for Lose Yourself in two thousand and three, and he ate Moms Spaghetti.
Speaker 7: He did do that all in that timefra him, didn't he? Yes, that's pretty good run there, The hell of a run for Marshall.
Speaker 2: Yes, Shack two thousand to four, one MVP Maybe should add too, three titles, three finals, MVP and an All Star all five of those years. Tiger Woods from ninety well, this is a ten year period. Yeah, I'm going to take Tiger out of that. Wayne Gretzky a four year run, five year run nineteen eighty two to eighty six. Two time champ, five time All Star, five time MVP, five time top scorer and Stanley Cup Final mvpick. Patrick Mahomes twenty eighteen to today, two MVPs, two All Pros, three Super Bowls, three Super Bowl MVPs. How about Kanye from two thousand and four to two thousand and eight college dropout, late registration, graduation, fourteen Grammy wins, thirty eight nominations and Kim Kardashian EIGHTA.
Speaker 7: Eights and heartbreaks in there, Oh yeah, eight album. Yep, that's a hell of a run. Todang Man, when did he start the yeasy's? Was that later than that?
Speaker 3: I think it was twas It was?
Speaker 2: Now all right, so final hour. We'll get to your phone calls coming up. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock that's our streaming partner. Download the app if you haven't done.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 2: It was all about the commitment last night with Dan Campbell. He committed to fourth downs and it paid off, and he talked about his philosophy.
Speaker 9: Look, I told the guys knew players, knew coaches knew Listen, this is don't ride the wave.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 9: We could be up two scores, we could be down two scores, and but just because we're one or the other, we got to play our style of game going in what we felt like we need to do, what I felt like we needed to do, and so that meant the risk was there, and you know, and you fell in negative urt or you get you know, you're trying to hold him to a field goal. But I knew that was that was how I wanted to play that team with where we were at.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: This is your your mo and if you're committed to that. Ross Tucker was just on about a half hour ago and he said, you know, you might go three for four on fourth down calls during regular season game, but you might go one for four in the postseason.
Speaker 3: And we saw that last year.
Speaker 2: They were aggressive, and I'm all for being aggressive because I can't sit here and go, why are you being aggressive? When we see teams they build up a big lead and then they're not aggressive and then they end up losing the game. They're up twenty four to seven and they should have won that game, and the Niners came back beat them, and you had these fourth down calls. Do I think Dan Campbell is going to change in the postseason? I do not, I do not Seaton poll question for the final hour and anything from our two that we want to do clean up.
Speaker 7: Let's see, well Russ Tucker, should he be honored or offended? Seventy eight percent of the audience have honored. Is ay sventure a sports movie that is increasingly becoming not a sports movie? Would you rather have the career of Ryan Gosling Ryan Reynolds right now? Ryan Reynolds running away with that one? A lot of hard hitting poll questions, of course, a lot of very important matters we're getting Yes.
Speaker 3: So the Minister of Humors here, Fritzie.
Speaker 2: We also Satan Marv Paulley's out today, the brg's as well. A lot of people suggesting different movies. I think Tom Hanks. Tom Hanks could be a number one seed with his stretch. Yeah, I mean that was That's incredible. And those are all like big time and some really like films as well.
Speaker 3: Thrown in there, Yes, Todd.
Speaker 4: Michael Douglas from eighty seven to ninety four.
Speaker 6: I know it's a little past five years, but if you'll humor me from eighty seven to most recently, Fatal Attraction, Wall Street, The War of the Roses, basic instinct falling down disclosure.
Speaker 4: It's not a bad group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, now I'm good with that. Had a great run, Harrison Ford great run as well, Yes, Marv.
Speaker 10: So you go into music, what's your favorite run? Five, six, seven years?
Speaker 2: I'd have to do more research on it. I don't have the context of be going Oh was that? I would say the Beatles. I'd say the Beatles if I go sixty four to sixty nine.
Speaker 10: Wait, I'm sorry, I'm a little hard at hearing sixty four. They were only together four were they together for Undertown?
Speaker 2: They got over here in sixty four, okay, and then they broke up in what's seventy?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it wasn't very long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what they did nobody comes close to that. They just don't. So I would say, yeah, if you look at six seven year window, that's like Sandy Kofax, not not Terrell Davis. It's better than that, but that, you know six year window where you're like, man, that guy was.
Speaker 3: They were dominating. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Jay Z had a pretty insane run of albums where he had and not too long.
Speaker 11: Of a time.
Speaker 7: He had reasonable doubt. Let's see, then he had all these volume ones in my Lifetime, Hard Knock, Life was Massive Life and Times a strong Carter. The Blueprint was huge.
Speaker 3: Black album.
Speaker 7: He had a run of just every time he puts something out, it was gigantic.
Speaker 2: Steve and Tulsa, Good Morning, Steve, What's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Good Morning?
Speaker 5: Sixty three and purely distributed two fifty five.
Speaker 8: Uh, I have a.
Speaker 3: A run.
Speaker 5: We'll call it a marathon, maybe to go up against Tom Hanks and your number one see going all the way back to sixty four in the next fifty years. Pick any five years for Clint Eastwood.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, as a producer, director, and of course, uh the star.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hu, fine with that. I don't think there's a wrong answer with this.
Speaker 2: We're just throwing out these five six year windows of you know, an incredible consistency.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marvin, Yeah, I think Tom Hanks is probably the number one seed. I used to think it was Joe Peshi, but Tom Hanks won Best Actor two years in a row.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Joe Peshi wasn't the leading guy. Tom Hanks is carrying movies.
Speaker 11: My cousin Vinny, No.
Speaker 3: Marissa, Tom carried that movie.
Speaker 10: How long does it take you to boil your grits. These two youths. Come on, excuse me, these two youth suits.
Speaker 3: Dylan in California. Hi Dylan, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: That was great, Happy to meet Friday boys. Thanks for taking my call. Thank you, Ay spent sure Is. It's definitely a sports movie, and it's always awesome to see Jim Carrey and his beautiful singing voice on stage with Cannbell corpse. And I believe that's a deleted scene in the movie, but super funny. I want to talk about that five year span too, the underrated Johns reinhold a three four year run the eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he didn't carry the movies. He appeared in movies. That's like, there's a difference. I'm talking about guys who car Harrison Ford carried a movie. Tom Hanks carried a movie. It wasn't like you know you were you played drums on Eminem's albums. There's a difference in that time to play the most must win game of the weekend, Todd. I know this is really important because you are now the executive producer with Paulie not here today, and you are taking that role.
Speaker 3: Seriously.
Speaker 6: I want to make sure we don't forget my most must win game of the week weekend. The forty nine ers were five and four, now they're five and seven. Marvin Prince well aware of that. On the customer of their season being over. There are only two games backup seven to five Seattle though, in a week NFC West must win for the Niners at home playing a Bears team that's lost six straight and as yet to win a road game this season.
Speaker 4: Niners, time to wake.
Speaker 3: Up, Seeden O'Connor. The most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 7: Is Seattle Seahawks on the road at the Cardinals. Absolutely, you cannot lose. That cannot No, you must win that.
Speaker 3: Marvin most puts win the weekend this weekend. Boise State, Oh, come on, you took mine.
Speaker 11: All right? If they lose, they are out of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Mountain West, it's all on the line. N LV is a good team. Yeah, that was going to be my pick as well, because Penn State, Oregon, they're both in Georgia, Texas. Feels like they're both in Clemson against SMU. If SMU doesn't win, they're out. Arizona State, Iowa State. Yeah, so there's a there's a few games coming up later on today, you have Tulane an army, so there's a there's a few of those. I heard Mike Elko is the Texas A and M head coach, and he was talking about name, image and likeness, and he had this to say about his program and incoming freshman.
Speaker 13: I think you have to be really intelligent when you manage this thing, how you manage it for the culture of your program. You know, you see some of these insane freshmen deals. I would just like to know how the upperclassmen and their program feel when these freshmen come in making five times more than the returning starter. And so I think that will be a really interesting dynamic for a lot of these programs when these freshmen show up on campus.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's incumbent on the head coach to present the landscape of what college football is. Yes, you're going to have juniors and seniors, somebody who's probably a fifth year senior and they've blown out their knee and they're coming back and their last chance. And then you got some eighteen year old coming in making five million dollars.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: This is what and I why are all of these grown ups just realizing what is going on in college football. I'm amazed that nobody acted. Everybody reacts to what goes on with the transfer portal, name, image and likeness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sad like that.
Speaker 7: That's such an interesting SoundBite to me because that Mike elcho is he doesn't.
Speaker 3: Know how the upper classmen feel already.
Speaker 7: Because if he'd like to know, that to me sounds like a guy who's planting the seed that says it's okay for upperclassmen to be upset about this. I'd like to know how upperclassmen feel about that, because that's going to create some interesting dynamics. Well, has it already or do you not know? Because now you just gave permission to every upper classman to be like, this is garbage. That guy makes more than me, I want more money. Well, that creates the problem. You just spoke it into existence.
Speaker 2: And I would say to coach, a coach, you have the opportunity to ask your upperclassmen like, have you yeah talked to him?
Speaker 3: And why haven't you?
Speaker 11: Like this is.
Speaker 2: I mean, I truly am amazed it almost week in and week out where you hear coaches, athletic directors, chancellors and they're clueless with everything that's going on here, chansfer port nil collectives? How much money? Hey, how are we going to feel if we're an upper classman?
Speaker 3: Talk to you?
Speaker 2: You know what if he would have said the following, Hey, look, we got kids coming in. They're making it a good amount of money, and we got you know, juniors and seniors, and I've spoken to them. Now you tell me that you're smart, that you're you're ahead of the game. Not how do you think they feel? I don't know, ask them, let them know. This is what it is.
Speaker 3: This is the.
Speaker 2: Situation, not I don't know. How do you think they're going to God, we're going at warp speed here. I get it, But at some point somebody has to be ahead of the game, understand what it is.
Speaker 3: Troubleshoot it we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Do we need legislation rules to stop kids from planting a flag? How about you let them know that's not who we are and that's not what we do. Oh how about right and wrong? Is that that difficult? At what point do you say to your players, we don't do that unless you want them to do that. We need to have legislation to stop that. How about you have a coach with a backbone and has a moral compass pointed in the right direction.
Speaker 3: Is that asking a lot?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 7: See, ask the upperclassmen when we recruit, do you want me to get the best players possible or not? And then say, okay, but they're gonna get paid more money than you're getting paid. Is that okay? But it gives us a better chance of winning. It gives us a great chance of putting together the best team possible. Which one do you want? Because no offense. If you were that guy, you'd be gone already or you'd be getting paid that way. But you're not that guy. That's why you're a senior here or a fifty year or whatever. Booker McFarlane will join us on loan from the mothership. More phone calls as well, and uh, talk about Bill Bella. Is he really serious about North Carolina? I'm sure North Carolina is really serious about him? And Fritzy already has the T shirt. If Bill Belichick would happen to go to North Carolina.
Speaker 4: That would be chapel.
Speaker 8: Bill.
Speaker 2: There you go. That one's free. The next one will cost you. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the Nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: He's Booger McFarlane of the Mothership, covering the NFL, in college football, and of course the first ever twelve team playoff selection Sunday that'll be coming up, presented by AT and T. At noon Eastern this Sunday on the mother Ship, Booger joins us on the program. Booger, let me start with last night with Dan Campbell. Here we go with fourth downs again. We saw it last year in the NFC title game. Your thoughts on this is the mo of him or his team and this is the way they're going to play no matter what the situation is.
Speaker 14: You know, Dan, anytime you have a job, I think the number one thing you can be is be yourself and be authentic. And I think the one thing we can say about Dan Kimbell from the moment of his introductory press conference where he said he was gonna bite knees and scratch elbows and everybody laughed at him, he's been unapologetically himself and so last night was just him continued to do that, and we may not agree with it, we may not like it, it may cost his team like it did last year, but I can live and die with the guy that's going to be himself because I'd rather be myself than try to acquiesce and be somebody else.
Speaker 8: So I'm okay with it. His team loves it.
Speaker 14: And you know, here's the thing about it, though, when he makes a mistake, he can own it, and I think that's the respect that he gets from his team. They love the gambling, but they also love the fact that when he makes a mistake, he'll stand in front of them and own it.
Speaker 2: I thought the Packers were going to win last night going into this game, and for no other reason than I didn't have a reason. I just thought, maybe it's the Packers, like they're starting to get a little bit of that momentum that we saw last year. Second half of the season. Josh Jacobs has been wonderful. What is it that Green Bay is missing right now in your opinion.
Speaker 14: Well, you got to remember Green Bay is still one of the youngest football teams in the league, if not the youngest, I think, and so I think all they're missing is just a little bit of experience, a little bit of toughness. You know, the quarterback is continuing to grow.
Speaker 8: You know. The Detroit Lions are a veteran group.
Speaker 14: Man Jared Golf has been around the block christ and spoke to everybody one time, you know, So like these people are seasoned up in Detroit, and so I think the one thing the Packers are missing is just a little bit of experience, a little bit of toughness, and they'll get that. I remember in Tampa everybody kept saying, well, what are the Bucks missing? What are we missing? And we were just missing our time. Man, Just a little bit of experience and just the right mix. And so I think the pack of time is coming. I think Matt Lafleur is one of the bright minds in football. I love their young defense. They've paid the quarterback and so it's just a matter of time. But Detroit, their time is now, because as we've seen with San Francisco, if you don't capitalize when your moment is there, that moment will be gone in the blink of an eye. It's like, I think the forty nine Ers window is closed right now. The lines have to capitalize on theirs. The Packers window is just starting to open, and I believe it'll be open for the next four or five years.
Speaker 3: If you're the Niners, what do you do with brock Perty's contract.
Speaker 14: It's kind of like I did my wife. I strung her along for nine years until I finally got the courage enough to to after to marry me, and she still brings it up. And you know, in all seriousness, I think if you're John Lynch, you have to kind of maybe do the Jordan Love deal. Maybe you give him like a two year, forty million something like that. I don't think Rocks representatives are going to accept that, but you gotta at least try, because the moment they give him fifty five million a year, I.
Speaker 8: Think their window is absolutely closed.
Speaker 14: Because he's not the type of quarterback, as we're seeing now with all the injuries. He's not the type of quarterback that can ride make everybody around him better. He's the type of quarterback that, if all the pieces are there, he's a tremendous game manager. And when all those pieces have been there, he has been outstanding. But you know how you no McCaffrey, no Trent Williams. They get their brains beat in by Buffalo because Purdy is not the guy that can raise anybody up. He needs the pieces around him, very similar to John Stockton. Like John Stockton is a Hall of Fame point guard. As long as he had Carl Malone. You take away Carl Malone, he's just another guy. And so I think that's what Brock Purdy is.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if Stockton would be just another guy, but I understand what you're saying. I mean Stockton, he.
Speaker 8: Wouldn't be he wouldn't be who he is Carl Malone.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't have fifteen thousand assists, but not all fifteen thousand were to Carl.
Speaker 8: I got you.
Speaker 2: You can't put John Stockton in with Rock Purdy. But I know it's your I know the analogy you're making. But you do need other players. Brock needs more players.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: Without McCaffrey, his record is not good at all. I just don't know of how much credit do you how much do you pay somebody who's a game manager?
Speaker 3: That's what I think it comes down to.
Speaker 8: Well, essentially, that's what the quarterback position is.
Speaker 14: Outside of Patrick, Josh, Joe Burrow and Lamar, everybody else is a game manager. Like that's what everybody else is and so I think rock Perty although he may.
Speaker 8: Be kind of lower to middle end.
Speaker 14: Other words, I'm gonna give you an example of a high end game manager. So like Jared Goff, Jared Golf is a high end game manager. I don't think rock Perty is to that level just yet. Jordan Love is growing to that point. And so you have some young guys that are gonna be able to ascend to that top two. I think jayd and Daniels eventually will be in the Lamar Patrick category eventually. And so you got to pay him the going rate. Dan Oh, I mean the going rate is fifty five million a year.
Speaker 3: I can't do that.
Speaker 8: Okay, Well, then who's going to be your quarterback?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 3: I have to say to him, just what you said.
Speaker 2: What the Packers did with Jordan Love, even though Jordan hadn't really produced anything, they wanted to keep him and still see if he was going to be a franchise quarterback. Rock Bery He says, no, Well you found him at the end of the draft. I'm gonna ask you to find somebody again. They've done a great job at finding players in the draft. But at fifty five then I can't I can't keep everybody not, Like, does McCaffrey even play anymore?
Speaker 3: Booger? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Debo is banged up all the time. How long does Trent Williams continue to play? You bring up the point the window is if not closed, there's just a little breeze coming in, and it's it's it's it's not a lot, not a lot.
Speaker 8: Well, here's the thing is that.
Speaker 14: This is a business and you have to capitalize when the iron is hot, and his iron will be no hotter than it's than it's never been.
Speaker 8: After the season, I think if you're his agent, I think.
Speaker 14: You're gonna you gotta go in ask him for fifty five million a year, five years, two utter the seventy five million, one hundred and twenty guaranteed. If you're John Lynch, you got to make a decision because if you start over and try to go find another quarterback, you're probably gonna be without Frent Williams. You're probably gonna be without McCaffrey. You're probably gonna be without Dee Bow. Fred Warner may still have a few years left, so the forty nine Ers team that you know now, by the time you find that young guy, will will be different, and so you have to balance do you pay him now or do you start over realizing that you're gonna lose your nucleus. That's why John Lynch is making the big buck of San Francisco. He's got to make that decision.
Speaker 2: Booker McFarland ESPN, NFL College Football analyst and the twelve team playoff reveal. That'll be Sunday at noon on the mother Ship. You more all in on the Chargers or more.
Speaker 3: All in on the Vikings.
Speaker 14: I trust Jim Harball more than I trust Kevin O'Connell, and I think the world of Kevin O'Connell. But I just know what Jim Harball is doing is tried and prove. He brought in Jesse Mitcher to run the defense. They got the number one scoring defense in football, all right, So that allow them to do what he said he was gonna do when he got the job. I'm gonna take the load off of Justin Herbert. He doesn't have to be a superstar. He doesn't have to put the cape on every Sunday. I just need him to put the cape on when the time is coming. And so if you see their formula play great defense, they're gonna run the hell out of the football. They're gonna make Herbert put the Cape on four or five plays every Sunday rather than fifty plays. I trust that method more than I trust Kevin O'Connell and Sam Donald. Because there's a thing that my buddy told me years ago. Water eventually finds its level. I don't care where it is, It's always gonna find a level. Sam Donald, although he's having a tremendous year, I think you and I both know what Sam Donald is, and eventually he's gonna find his level.
Speaker 8: And so I.
Speaker 14: Trust Justin Herbert and Jim Harball more than I trust Kevin O'Connell and Sam Donald.
Speaker 2: Give me the scenario that's gonna totally throw the twelve team playoff into chaos by Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 14: Okay, well, if we want to do really chaos, let's go un l V beat Boise. UNLV gonna is gonna get in, but probably won't get a bye.
Speaker 8: Let's go.
Speaker 14: Let's go Clemson beating SMU. All right, Clemson beats SMU. So now SMU has two losses, So you have a two loss Clemson. Excuse me, a two loss SMU compared to a three loss Alabama, they gotta take one. Other than that, I think the other ones are pretty set. Like the winner of the Big twelve is getting in. Both teams in the SEC are getting in. I think they're gonna be four teams in the Big ten. Oregon, Penn State, Indiana, Ohio State, all four of those are getting in. It's just a matter of seeding. Notre Dame is in, They're gonna be either the five or the sixth seed. And the winner of Arizona State our state is getting in. So that's pretty much like that's kind of set right there. The real chaos comes with UNLV winning, because if Boise wins, I think Boys gets it's a buy dan though, and everybody's gonna play. How can a group of five team get a buy So that's one. And then if we have to compare a two loss SMU to a three loss blue Blood in Alabama, all hell will break loose and my head will probably explode because I think the committee just might put Alabama in.
Speaker 8: Oh yes, me, yes, that was the That was then the wrong message.
Speaker 2: But you can't imagine a scenario if there's two SEC schools that get in and four Big ten schools get in. I think that they can solve this a little bit if they look at all right, automatic qualifiers and then we have your ranking, like the ranking should still matter, so that way we can decide who's going to get a first round bot.
Speaker 3: I think there's tweaks to this.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you have a couple that you say, all right, next year, this should be done. This will prevent this or these things from happening.
Speaker 8: Well, it's the same thing that Rheze Davis has said.
Speaker 14: I'm okay with the conference champions getting in, but once everybody's in, let's seat it. One to twelve, top four get a bye and then and then we see them from there. I think that's what you should do. Yeah, that's number one. But let me ask you this. If it comes down to eleven and two SMU or nine and three Alabama, who is Dan Patrick putting in?
Speaker 2: I would want SMU in, But I know it's a TV show. So I Alabama Alabama at Notre Dame to open up the first round of the playoffs. They would love that SMU. You know, they bought their way into they made a great business decision. I just don't know if anybody cares to watch SMU. I got to factor that in that people are gonna want to watch Alabama.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but why are you factor that when committe will Yeah, but the committey is not supposed to do that is oh.
Speaker 2: You know the booger, it's a TV show. All of this is a TV show.
Speaker 8: Well, if it's a TV show, then why are we putting unlv A boy the in.
Speaker 3: They don't want to they have to this.
Speaker 2: You have a decision to make, like you have to put in unl V or Boise. I don't have to put in Alabama or SMU if they you know, SMU loses.
Speaker 3: It's a TV show.
Speaker 2: It is they want matchups, they want sold out crowds. They want you know, when you go to a Bowl game, the fans are gonna go.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, I get it.
Speaker 14: I would just argue that although SMU is not a blue blood, SMU is probably one of the richest institutions in America. You know that as well as I do. Alabama. We all know what that brand is. I just hope that they do the right thing this year. Now next year, I think war manual is probably gonna have to get together and to your point, They're gonna have to make some tweets, just like anything, you know, the first iteration is not perfect.
Speaker 8: You make some tweaks and then and then we get it to the point.
Speaker 14: But this year, I truly hope this year that if Clemson wins and the game is fairly close, other words, if they beat SMU by points, I still think you should get in. And if they don't do that, There'll be some good TV on Sunday. I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 3: The that's a tease.
Speaker 2: The situation with the Raiders, to me, is fascinating because I think they have the Antonio Peers is their head coach, but it feels like that's really tenuous because if they would happen to get a chance to get Shador Sanders, like, what would happen? First they have to get Shador to then get Dion because you can't get Dion and then he's not coaching his son.
Speaker 3: I think there's something there. Booger.
Speaker 2: Now, I thought that National Signing Day that you know Dion brought in, he flipped some recruits. I mean, he did a great job, which would lead me to believe and I hope he stays there.
Speaker 3: But they're just too many people.
Speaker 2: Talk and then you bring in Tom Brady, as you know, a minority owner there.
Speaker 3: And I don't know about this.
Speaker 14: I think Chador to the Raiders is something that I believe is gonna happen. Deon to the Raiders, I don't think it's gonna happen because if Deon goes to the Raiders, you would have to get Dion there first, based on the hiring cycle, because if they're gonna move on from Antonio Piers, they would do that. What January the fifteenth or whatever that day is Black Monday, Dion the draft, I tell what end of April, and so that time gap there I think would probably prohibit the quote unquote package deal from happening. Yeah, I think Brady's Brady's influence is probably gonna lead to Antonio Peers not being there. I think Brady's influence is gonna lead to Shaduer being drafted franchise quarterback. We're gonna get an offensive mine in there, uh and we're gonna, you know, go from there. I think Brady Brady buying in was Hey, if you want to help us run the organization.
Speaker 8: Put some skin in the game.
Speaker 14: He puts skin in the game now he gets to make decisions and because now he's got his money where his mouth is. And so I'm with you, I think should do it to the Raiders. Somehow, some way is going to happen Dion. I don't think so, because Dion, it's kind of like this. Dion can influence and control the University of Colorado the way he wants to, very much like Nick Saban did at Alabama.
Speaker 8: Nick Saban in the NFL did not work.
Speaker 14: I don't know if Dion in the NFL will work to the level that it's working at Colorado. Therefore, I think he's gonna be at Colorado. I think he's gonna build a juggernaut. He's gonna be in the Big twelve. He's gotta win a couple of big games a year. I mean, this is not even his best team. They're nine to three this year, and you could argue that if they get a break against Kansas or something like that, they could be in the playoff.
Speaker 8: He was really one game from the playoff. And so if you're Dion, you load up.
Speaker 14: He had a really good recruiting class, and Dion will be in the twelve team playoffs next year. Why would he go to the NFL and get his head beat in because the NFL game is not about recruiting. It's just about draft order, salary cap all those different things.
Speaker 8: I don't think he wants to deal with that.
Speaker 2: I agree with you that, and this is why being in the Big twelve to me, like if I'm a school, I would want to be in the If I'm coaching, I want to be in the Big twelve. I don't care who I'm playing each week, as long as I'm beating them each week. I got an automatic berth I'm in. I mean instead of banging around in the SEC and the Big ten all of that. I mean, Deon can run that. Although I give credit Arizona State, it's been a wonderful story this year, so that in Iowa State is always there as well. But great to talk to you and thanks for joining us. This is always have fun on Sunday. I would say play nice, but I don't want you to.
Speaker 8: No, you know, I just want the right thing to be done.
Speaker 14: And just like I did last year with Florida State, somebody's got to stand out for teams that because I play a game that it's not about what we think. It's about what you see on the field. Football has just showed me game, Dan and I just turned the tape on and watch the teams play. And I want the teams that play the best that we've seen play the best get in. I don't want to go off web. What would happen if we did this or did that? No, no, no, let's go off what actually happened. It's like last year in Florida State went undefeated. They should have been. They should have been the fourteenth playoffs. This year, if SMU get penalized for making the conference championship game, I'm going to be very disappointed.
Speaker 2: Booger McFarlane, ESPN, NFL College and NFL Analyst, twelve team playoff that'll be coming up Sunday noon Eastern on the mother Ship. If you're watching on Peacock, you're able to see that we have some chicken palm, we have meatball parm ready to go, and nobody is more excited than Fritzy Facts. Yes, we'll take a break. We'll take those off the grill. More of your phone calls will close up shop after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 3: Closing up shop here, last call for phone calls. What we learn?
Speaker 2: What's in store for Monday? Best game of the weekend, by the way, Slider Sunday. Slide into the weekend and make your Sunday a Slider Sunday thanks to King's Hawaiian Penn State at Oregon Big Ten Title Game. James Franklin now three and nineteen against top ten teams after a loss to Ohio State dropped them two three in nineteen SEC Texas Georgia Title game. Last time they played. Georgia beat Texas thirty to fifteen. Clemson SMU ACC Title Game. Clemson needs to win to make the playoffs or at least raise the question if they should be in SMU should be in a two bid league. I don't know if that's going to happen. Bills at the Rams. Do the Rams have a last stand here? They are third place in the NFC West and right now number ten spot in the conference playoff picture. Falcons at the Vikings. It's Kirk d Cousins returning to Minnesota. Who has more touchdown pousses, Sam Darnold or kirk Cousins, who has more picks sixes?
Speaker 3: Oh that is mean spirit, mean.
Speaker 2: Spirited passes to the other team. Well, I just said touchdown pounses. Marvin kirk Cousinsk Todd Cousins satan, Yeah, sure, why not. By the way, those meatball palm sandwiches delish.
Speaker 4: Yeah they are.
Speaker 3: Todd went all in. If you had a third hand, you would have had it on.
Speaker 4: I cannot argue that.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Todd wants to do in er out because PAULI normally does inner out is okay? College football needs Bill Belichick. Todd, are you in or out out?
Speaker 3: Seatan? They need him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm out, Marvin out out, Okay, I don't think college football needs him. I don't think he needs college football. I completely trust Dan Campbell's decision making in January.
Speaker 4: Todd out, we've seen him before.
Speaker 3: Seaton, I'm riding with him. Jerry in. Yeah, Marvin, I'm into.
Speaker 2: I would rather be a famous actor than a famous quarterback in or out, Todd in in famous actor, Seaton.
Speaker 3: I'm in on an actor, okay, Marvin in actor. If I said you could be Ryan Reynolds or Patrick Mahomes, Todd.
Speaker 4: Patrick Mahomes in that situation.
Speaker 3: The way you just said you would rather.
Speaker 4: Be an actor, but if if you go specifically, I just.
Speaker 3: Gave you specifics here.
Speaker 4: Don't think I'm really Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 3: Thanks Jan, thank you, thank you. Seatan. Would you rather be Ryan Reynolds or Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 7: I don't think Ryan Reynolds is the Patrick Mahomes of acting.
Speaker 2: So body, he's made a lot of money, he's very successful. Who is the Patrick Mahomes of acting?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Todd, do you have Tom Cruise?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Patrick Mahomes is like reshape the game and Tom Cruise broth the Movie's back.
Speaker 4: Supposedly they could pick some kind of analogy there.
Speaker 7: Mmm, Marvin Tom Hanks, No, not anymore. Ryan Reynolds seems to have it all figured out, though. Gotta admit, like the dude he's making like just like, oh look, I just sold another company for a billion dollars and I might make a movie I don't know, and I own this team. I'm going round Reynolds all day, all day, Ryan Reynolds all day, not even close for sure.
Speaker 3: Instead of Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he's also got Blake Lively.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know I would. I would be Patrick Mahomes. He the he's one of the two greatest to ever play that position and he's made half a billion dollars already.
Speaker 10: And Ryan Reynolds was in Van Wilder. Same thing this day in sports history? Is there anything here worth going down memory lane?
Speaker 3: One single interesting thing?
Speaker 8: I know?
Speaker 3: It doesn't feel like there's anything interesting.
Speaker 11: Nothing.
Speaker 3: Actually I have a couple, Okay. Marvin Ernie Davis.
Speaker 10: Became the first African American to win the Heisman in nineteen sixty one. In twenty eighteen, Derek Henry ran for a I guess he tied an NFL record with a ninety nine yard touchdown run against the Jaguars.
Speaker 11: He couldn't get a hundred.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you can't get a hundred, but interception return thinking, well, they're in the end zone when they they count Derek Henry at the line of screw.
Speaker 10: So Derek Henry should get in the end zone and then break the rend.
Speaker 3: No, because of the balls in the end zone. Then it belongs to the why are we doing this because we're two utes? No, but we're closing up shop here.
Speaker 1: What time you later?
Speaker 6: The ball from your own one and you catch it from like two yards in the end zone. You shouldn't count that, I guess as one hundred and two yard rush.
Speaker 4: They should look at that from where they kept.
Speaker 2: Them, because the quarterback throws from the end zone. They don't go that was one hundred and four yard touchdown.
Speaker 4: They should look at that. They should look at that.
Speaker 3: We were having a good show up until there. Still I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. How about we go around the room what we learn on the program DoD.
Speaker 6: There likely won't be a Waterboy too, but if there is one, the sam Man says he would work the Dan nuts in somehow.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Uh see O'Connor, it's like our last shot as a son of the water Boy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's going to be another sequel there with Samdler.
Speaker 7: He said, you were like, hey, can you put them in another movie?
Speaker 3: He's like, yeah, put them in the water Boy? Okay, cool? When are you shooting that?
Speaker 11: Never?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, Marvin, what did you learn to the booger?
Speaker 11: Compared brock Party to John Stockton.
Speaker 3: That's not see come on exactly what I heard.
Speaker 2: No, Stockton had fifteen thousand assists fourteen thousand.
Speaker 3: I did not.
Speaker 2: Felton Spencer, thanks for joining us. Have a great weekend everybody. We look forward to chatting with you on Monday.
Speaker 3: Take care,