Speaker 1: Welcome to Bill and Juliana the podcast. Hey guys, welcome to the podcast. So Bill and I have been together for almost twenty years. That's twenty years of making love to the same person. And so today's mission is kind of like between the sheets, if you will. What I want to tackle today is how do we keep our long term relationship spicy? And I think this applies to whether you are in a long term relationship or not, because even if you're just let's say you just got married or you're dating someone right now, like, how do you keep it spicy? Right? So people often, you know, feel embarrassed talking about this topic. I am not one of those people. I wonder if Bill, who by the way, is off today, Bill is, well, I'm not gonna he's not at work, He's on vacation. So Bill is on vacation. God love him. But so I am kind of taking over the show today. But I wonder if Bill was here, would he be embarrassed. I feel like he wouldn't because he has been unhinged on this podcast since we started it, so it would be fun to hear what he has to say. But I'll well, I'll just improvise for the both of us. So joining us today is someone who knows a lot about this topic. She is like a total expert in this. She's a licensed sex therapist and a psychotherapist. Her name is Vanessa Marin and Vanessa and her husband Xander host the number one rated sex podcast called Pillow Talks. So if anyone is going to give me great advice today, it's going to be Vanessa. Vanessa, thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for having me. I'm so excited to get to chat today.
Speaker 1: I know so, Vanessa, me too. So you are like, you've written books, you have this incredible podcast, and you used to see couples right in person. But now you guys, because you've gotten so busy and so in demand, but people can still see you right Like, how does that work?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We offer online guides and courses that we have things like our Ultimate for Play Guides, Ultimate Sex Positions, the Art of Initiation, and we built those out because I realized, well, first of all, my practice filled up right away, and I wanted to be able to help more people. But I also realized this is a pretty tough ask to get people that come in person talk about the most intimate details of their lives, and we realize being able to put things online where you can get access to those same tools and resources but have the comfort and privacy of your own home was actually a much better fit.
Speaker 1: So who are you finding like the need from the most? Is it a couple that's been together a long time that is looking to spice things up? And when a couple does come to you, where do you start with them?
Speaker 2: Xander and I have been together almost nineteen years, so we're right behind you and Bill. And as the businesses progressed, I've realized that I really love working with couples in long term relationships where you have seen it all, you've been so annoyed with each other at the socks right next to the hamper and the dish on top of the dishwasher, instead of just right into it. I wanted to help people answer this question of how do we still want to have sex with each other even after all these years and all these annoyances and just the challenges of daily life. So that's really our specialty. And when people first come to us, mostly what they will come to us with is the thought, you know, I don't have a desire for sex anymore, our desire feels really mismatched. We're just not having it. People are really focused on frequency, and usually they'll come to us with the question how much sex should we be having? We all want to know that magic number that like, if we just hit that quota, everything will be okay, we'll be fine. But actually, what we have found to be so much more interesting of a starting place is to look at the quality of the sex that you're having, because it doesn't make any sense for us to talk about desire if you're not having sex that's worth desiring. So I call this the mushy broccoli problem. Like do you ever find yourself craving a bowl of overly steamed, mushy, unseasoned broccoli. Of course not. And do you think anything is wrong with you for not wanting mushy broccoli? Obviously not. It makes perfect sense, right, But we have to be honest with ourselves. A lot of us are having some mushy sex, mushy broccoli sex, and then we're beating ourselves up for not wanting more of it. So we have to look at the quality first before we can look at the quantity.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by quality is that are we talking like you have to plan a whole thing out and like there's candle light and some soft rock playing and then you have like, uh, toys and the lighting is perfect because can I be honest, I can't. I can't. That's like I feel like I'm just so busy, Like we're so busy. And I think, and you've probably heard this so much. And now, granted we have one child who's thirteen. One of my best friends has six kids. The other one just had her third, Like I think I am tired from parenting. I can imagine most people are incredibly tired from parenting. So between that career, all of it. So what do you mean by quality? What are we talking about here?
Speaker 2: This is such an interesting question because if you ask the average person, do you want to have a great sex life? Most people will say yeah, absolutely. But then if you ask them, okay, what does that mean to you? What does great sex mean to you? Most people will just be deer in headlights. They don't even know how to answer that question. So I think that's a really important starting point for all of us, and I would encourage everyone listening to this podcast. When you're done, take a moment to think about it, like what does great sex mean to me? And see if you can just come up with like three words or three descriptors, three specifics about what it means to you. So, for example, like you were, you were giving up a couple of examples of like putting on the soft rug and putting the candles on, and for some people that might be, oh, yes, that is the exact environment that I want to have, and other people are going to think, ooh, soft rock candles. This feels so cheesy. I don't want to do that. So we've got to start identifying like what feels right for us. But I'm also really glad that you are willing to be vulnerable and share some personal details about your own life too, because I think you're illustrating something that a lot of us get wrong about sex. We think that it has to be this big production. We've got to do all the things, and it's going to take all the time, and let's be real, most of us are exhausted. I've actually never worked with a couple who said, we just have so much free time and so much energy, what do we do with all of this?
Speaker 1: Right, We're all.
Speaker 2: Exhausted and tired, and our days are really filled, and so when we think about sex as having to be this huge production, it's game over from the beginning. We're too tired, we don't have the space for it. So I do think it's it's valuable for us to try to carve time out and like sometimes have those special moments where we do go all in, Like vacation is a great example. You know who doesn't love vacation sex when you just you have that space and the energy and you're sleeping in. But on a day to day basis, I think it's so much more important for us to focus on what's good enough sex, Like what's something that it maybe is not gonna you know, it's not gonna take a ton of time, it's not gonna take a ton of effort, it's not going to be the best sex we've ever had, but it's still good enough that we get to have that experience of feeling pleasure, of feeling connected with each other, and we get to have that experience that I think is actually one of the most important parts of sex is right after if you notice, like even those days where you were so hired or it just you weren't really in the mood right after sex. The vast majority of us think I'm so glad we did that. I think we think of that moment and what's the minimum that we could do to get to that moment? We'll have much better sex lives.
Speaker 1: It's so funny you say that, You're absolutely right. It's like we'll go through stages where we just like, are so busy, we're just tired, and we like lights out, not fooling around right for a while, and then when we do it, and it's usually Bill like being like, honey, it's been a while. I'm like, oh okay, because I'm just like I was tired, tired, And then right after I always go we have to do that more often go back and they'll actually say, which is beyond laughable if you ask Bill, because he would be laughing right now. I always go, wait, why don't we do that every day? And he's like, I can't. He's like, hello, I'm looking at it. I'm looking at the reason we don't do it every day, because you know, but you're right right after, what is it? It's like that hormones release oxytot oxycytosin. Yeah, look at me, I know, my science girl oxytocin is released. I've actually known that. I don't. I remember reading an article years ago and that's that feeling of like like just that you can't get anywhere else right after and it's that oxytocin, and so you have that feeling and it's like euphoria. You're just like, oh my gosh, that was so amazing, like we need to do this every day, and then you go back to your life and you don't do it every day most people. So I feel like a huge part of this, because it takes two to tango is communication. It's like what does the It's not just what do you want or what constitutes great sex to you, but like what great sex sex to your partner because you guys have to be on the same page. I mean, if anything takes two to tango, it's this, right, absolutely.
Speaker 2: So first I want everybody listening to think of a few specifics for themselves, because you probably haven't ever thought about that question. Then I want you to ask your partner. So I love blaming podcasts as a way to open up a conversation so you can tell your partner, Hey, I was listening to my favorite podcast today. Juliana had this guest on the Sex Therapist, and she asked us this question that was so fascinating. I've never thought about it before, and here are my answers. I'm really curious to know what your answers would be, and you can give your partner a little bit of time. They may not be able to answer it right on the spot, but that can be a great way for the two of you to start comparing notes and starting to talk more openly about your sex life. Because here's the thing about communication. We all know we should be doing it right. And you see it, you know when you're up secretly googling in incognito mode, like why aren't we having sex anymore? How to start having more sex? Like it's in every article, like you have to talk to your partner. We all know that, but nobody ever talks to us about what we're supposed to say and how we're supposed to say it, and when we say it, and you know, what do we do if our partner responds poorly to it? So Xander and I actually wrote a literal book about this because I got so frustrated and seeing that same advice over and over again, and we actually struggled in our own relationship, which was so challenging for me, Like I'm in this field, I love this topic so much, and yet when we were going through challenges in our own sex life, I didn't know how to talk about it. So the book is actually everything. It's basically the opposite of everything that I actually did. We learned better tools and techniques through mucking through it on our own. But it's called Sex Talks the five Conversations that every couple should have, and it leads you through specific conversations what to say, when to say it, how to say it, rather than just that generic just talk about it.
Speaker 1: I love that. When did you write that? When did that come out?
Speaker 2: That came out in twenty twenty three, and it was an instant New York Times bestseller, so I'd clearly resonated with a lot of people. Yeah, but one of the you know, one of the mistakes people make when it comes to talking about sex is we don't want to do it because it feels scary and vulnerable. And so most people their very first conversation about sex is when something is just gotten so bad that you don't have any choice not to talk about it anymore. That actually was the first conversation, the first real conversation Xander and I had in our relationship was me telling him why do you never want to have sex with me anymore? Not a great conversation, It did not go well. So when we start with something negative that only reinforces our feeling that we don't want to talk about it. It feels scary and vulnerable and overwhelming. So instead, the book is really centered around how do we start talking about sex in a positive way? First, So we build this foundation, we get comfortable with the topic. It even can feel fun to talk about it. And then once you have that foundation in place, talking about the trickier actually feels a lot easier.
Speaker 1: And I think it's about for a lot of people as we talk about this, it's like reframing your mind. Right, Like, it's not sex, especially in a relationship of a long time, right, or you know, any committed relationship. Okay, it is important for a lot of reasons, right, It's not just like, oh I'm married, I'm in a long term relationship, I have to have sex frequently because it's like part of it's like what people do. It's also a way obviously to connect. It's a connection right, it's an intimate connection. And I will tell you, as someone who's been married twenty years, I think what's important to note too is that like both people in the relationship have to kind of be fulfilled, right. It can't just be about one person being fulfilled, because I think what starts to happen is, and I'll tell you someone who's been married two decades that you know, we both get so busy Bill and I and I think, like in my head, I'm like, well, of course he knows I love him and I'm attracted to him, so but sometimes it's like just also that feeling of like the other person feeling desirable, you know, and wanted that you want. It's not about like we have to have sex because we're married and that's what couples do, or we're dating and that's what couples. It's also like, oh, wait, she wants to have sex with me, not she needs to have sex with me. Let's talk about that, because there's a big difference when it comes to that, and I think that is very important because that's where problems start to happen and things can start to unravel in a relationship when there's a distinct difference because there's a distinct difference between the two.
Speaker 2: We all want to feel wanted, and especially in a long term relationship, we want to feel like our partner is still choosing us, still desires us, still wants to be with us. It's real, really easy to fall into the roommate stage, to fall into taking each other for granted, and we are all desperately missing that feeling of being wanted by our partner. I think a lot of us, and especially us women, we have the tendency to think of sex as just this physical act. It's just body parts going into body parts. It's just about the release. And you know, we have a lot of stereotypes about men that they want it wherever, whenever, they'll stick whatever they can get, and we fail to recognize all of the emotional components to sex, all of the ways that it helps us feel more connected to each other, closer to each other. It's the one thing that we do with this one person. It's what differentiates us from being just friends, from being household co managers or co parents. Yeah, so's It's so much more than just this physical act. And if we were able to recognize that, I think it would make a huge impact on many relationships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys, I think that's really important. If you're listening, obviously this is something you've been thinking about, or maybe now you're thinking about it. You're like, huh, I stumbled on this podcast, and yeah, this is interesting because you know, I'm kind of going through this sort of thing, because what does start to happen is, you know, you've been together a long time, you get into a routine, and I think there is, at least with Bill, and I think what starts to happen with us is I just start to like assume. Of course, like he knows that I think he's gorgeous, and of course I want to fool around, but like I'm just tired. But of course he knows he's still desirable. But he has said it. He's like, what are you not? Are you not attracted to me? And that's you don't want to you know, we don't want to keep that going, you know what I mean? So you have to like and it's not just like, oh my god, I am attracted to you, let's have sex right now. It's not about that. It's just about communication and being like, oh wait a second, hold on, let me tell you. Why. Of course I'm attracted to you, but I've been so busy. I'm tired. I'm going through this at an you know, for some reason. You know, maybe it's my age, I'm going whatever it is, perry, menopause, menopause, whatever it is. Talking about it together is so important, right because otherwise you do, you can start to push the other person away. And that's really that's scary that you must see that a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, relationships are really all about the small things. It's it's those little reminders to each other, those things that we just assume or take for granted, like he must know, he's got to know. But our partner needs to hear those things, and we need to hear those things too, right, So it's just being willing to say those things out loud, often repeating them. Don't you can't you know, like we can't say I love you once and then we just assume partner knows. Right. I'm just never going to say it to them again. We said it on our wedding day, We'll never say it again. Like no, we love saying I love you often. And I think if we also talk about our sex life and our attraction to each other, our desire for each other in that same sort of way. It's really beneficial. So I recommend that couples follow the seventy two hour rule. And this is not about how often you have to have sex, but this is about how often you have to talk about sex. All right, So every seventy two hours you have to at least acknowledge your sex life. So if you guys aren't having it, it could be literally something as simple as, hey, I just want to acknowledge. This week has been so busy. I know we both have been feeling a little bit run down, and you know, we had the kids rehearsal and the dance recital and all of that. There just hasn't been the space for it. But I just want you to know I'm still thinking about you. I wish we had had time to connect, and I'm looking forward and I think maybe Thursday would be a great day for us, or even just I hope sometime soon we can get back in the saddle with each other. So that short little sentence really makes all the difference in the world because it helps your partner know what's actually going on for you. Their brain doesn't have to spin out thinking is she still attracted to me anymore? Does she still want me? Is she still into me? Like they get to know that you are still thinking about it and it still makes the space for Yeah, life's busy sometimes you're not going to be able to so that's okay, but you just have to acknowledge it.
Speaker 1: I'm fifty one and so definitely I don't have a drive like I used to. You know, at certain stages like currently that's why Bill's not here, just getting time. I'm just kidding, but but you know, you go through stages where like your sex drive is very low, okay, and I have to say, like Bill and I, it's important. It's embarrassing, Like you know, it's been embarrassing for me, Like I you know, I don't like want to talk. I'm not like bringing it up with Bill all that. I wasn't bringing it up like hey, by the way, I have like no sex drive right now, but like hopefully soon have a good day. You know, it's not you, it's me. But at the same time, I remember we had this conversation and Bill was like, well, are you just gonna like accept that or like why don't we like work together on that? Like what can we do, like, do you want to talk to you? Like, I'm really close to my obgyn. I'm like, he's like the best, He's like a friend. I just love him so much, so like I can go to him get advice and he and I did, and I got really good advice. But I think if I hadn't just told Bill the truth, you know what I mean, I would have just let it go and keep going and going. Bill would have been confused. I'm just like accepting this as my new me and new life. So kind of can you elaborate on that a little bit and what advice you give to women who are going through that kind of period in their life.
Speaker 2: My hot take is that desire is really overrated. I think we put pressure on ourselves to feel the desire for sex in a way that we don't put pressure on ourselves to feel desire for anything else in our lives. And to be clear, I'm only talking about like safe, healthy relationships here, sure, but like let's think about let's think about like who has not had the experience of you make a date with your friend. You guys are going to go out to dinner together, and the day rolls around, you were sitting on the couch, you're watching new Netflix show. You're in your pajamas already and thinking, oh, I help my friend cancels on me. I would love to just stay here on the couch, and I don't want to get up and have to change, but you force yourself to do it. You get up, you go out, have a great time with your friend, and you're heading back to your house thinking I'm so glad I did that. We don't beat ourselves up or put pressure on ourselves in the same way with stuff like that, Like we recognize that we can be kind of ambivalent about a lot of other things in our life, but we're not focusing so much on the desire. We're thinking more about the experience afterwards, that feeling of I'm so glad I did it. And I think it would really benefit us to think about sex in the same way. So I like to rather than thinking about, like, am I super horny right now? I'm so turned on and I have to have sex. Because also the thing is, like, let's think about when Xander initiates with me. It would be really weird if every single time he initiated with me, I was I would say, oh my God, what a coincidence. I just happened to be super horny at the exact same moment that you're super horny. What a great coincidence. Let's go and have sex. Like we're different people, we feel interested in it at different times. So instead I think of it in terms of willingness. Am I open to being intimate? Am I open to getting started and seeing if I wind up getting turned on and wanting more? And I think about that experience afterwards. Am I going to enjoy the sex that we have. I'm gonna enjoy that feeling of lying together afterwards and feeling so close. So when I think about it in that way, it really lowers the bar, It lowers any pressure that I feel, and it makes me so much more willing and open to connect with him.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. So like explain, just like if some if this happens to someone tonight. Okay, they're in bed, They're not, They're not. They weren't really in the mood getting into bed. They thought they were going to watch episode thirteen of season thirteen of Love Island UK and they were like perfectly content. That was like their night. The husband was gonna fall, Bill's gonna fall asleep. I'm going to watch the new episode, you know, my episode of Love Island UK, which by the way, I can't recommend it enough. And I thought that was gonna be my night. And next thing I know, Bill's like, you know, you can tell like he's doing all his like Bill stuff, like I wanna okay, so what so what exactly? So what would I do there?
Speaker 2: What would I Okay? So first we're gonna work with Bill because it's been a while, isn't exactly the sexiest initiation, right, Like, initiation needs to feel like an invitation. I just use an example of like going out with a friend. Imagine if you called your friend and you're like, it's been a while, you should probably go out to dinner, right, Like your your friend's not going to respond for well.
Speaker 1: To that, right, Like, yeah, we might as well exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we can talk about the initiation styles model that I developed in a minute, but we want a more exciting invitation.
Speaker 1: And he does all jokes aside he does He'll be like, you know what I mean is like the thing that like, you know, you're laying there and they suddenly start getting closer to you. Then yeah, you know, and and you get it like you have you know the signs of your partner right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Xander doesn't have to say a word. I like the energy. Yes, tell I'm like, I know, I know what you're trying to do right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when Bill's energy shifts and I'm you know, and like Lorenzo and Jasmine are like just deciding on Love Island UK that like they might get back together, and I'm so into that moment and all of a sudden, I can feel his energy over here and you want to you know, like make love? What like, what what do I do there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: We also work a lot with men on learning how to read the room a little bit better, because then often have really bad timing. We also work with them on learning how to start for play earlier in the day too. I actually think that trying to have sex at the very end of the night is the worst time to have so we can get back to that too.
Speaker 1: All right, so we need to stop that.
Speaker 2: Okay. What I would recommend to you or any other woman in that moment is, no matter how awkwardly or unskillfully or even annoyingly your partner is initiating in that moment, imagine that what he's actually saying to you is I want to feel close to you right now.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's what's beautiful.
Speaker 2: What is happening again, it's you know, we have all these stereotypes that men are just horned dogs. But men are not allowed to be emotional creatures in the same way that we women are. They've been socialized from very young not to have emotions, not to express emotions it's not okay, and not to be vulnerable. And men tell us the only time in my entire life that I feel comfortable being vulnerable is during sex. The time that I feel the most open, the most connected, the most present and in the moment is when I'm being intimate with my partner. And so if we are able to see sex for what it really is for men, I think it just opens us up so much like the reaction that you just had, you're like, oh, you know.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, yeah, I love that different. Now tell me about this theory, Vanessa. And I didn't tell Vanessa this ahead of time because I see your thoughts. Just stick with me here. So I've actually tried this on Bill ready. So before I met Bill, I was very I had like kind of these rules with guys and relationship and dating and like rules okay, like I wouldn't kiss on the first date. I just had these rules, okay. And so I always you know, and I stuck to my guns on this. So and I kind of played very hard to get okay, And that was like my thing. And I would give my friends advice and they had to play hard to get, whether it was a guy texting you and you kind of like putting it on ice for a while. Like I just had all these like little things I would do, okay, And then Bill and I got together, and so then sometimes you'll say to me like, gosh, you know it's been a while, honey, and I'll go, I'm playing hard to get. It's like, just because we're married doesn't mean I shouldn't play hard to get. What do you think about this? And maybe you've never thought of this vinessa. Maybe you have because you are an expert in this, but is there something there with like this is so stupid. Even as I'm saying this, I'm going, what the hell am I thinking? And this is the worst idea? But is it the worst idea? Hold on? Just I'm asking an expert even though you're married. Should We sometimes play hard to get, which, by the way, is my sneaky way of like not having to have sex that night because I'm tired. Oh, I'm playing hard to get. But okay, I don't know. Is there anything there, Vanessa, just appease me for a second.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll give you a generous interpretation of it here. We have a flirting epidemic in relationships. So if you think back to our dating stages, flirting with our partner was one of the best things. It was so fun to have that, you know, that banter, that energy that will we or won't we kind of vibe? Yes, And most couples in long term relationships, their version of flirting is what do you want to watch tonight?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Don't do it with each other.
Speaker 1: But I'm doing, Vanessa, That's what I'm doing. Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 2: But where this is your way of like trying to flirt, trying to keep a little bit of like the energy alive between Okay.
Speaker 1: The mystery, the mystery just because we've been married twenty years. If I keep putting out every night, there's no more mystery. And he fell in love with me for the allure, the mystery that I was hard to get and so I'm trying to bring that into the relationship. I'm trying to, like, you know, I'm trying to like start a thing, Vanessa, let's.
Speaker 2: Do it together.
Speaker 1: Let's write a book on being hard to get. And by the way, when I told Bill this, he goes, that is horrible advice. He goes, please do not ever say that again. I was like, what are you talking about, Bill and playing card together? He's like, this isn't going to end well. But anyways, no, he was joking.
Speaker 2: I will tell you, like, in all seriousness, what I hear very often from women is, you know, I don't even want to like touch my partner or kiss him because I don't want to give him the wrong idea. I don't want him to get excited and then he'll me disappointed. So most couples will go the entire day with hard any touch, hardly any kiss. And that is really what leads you into feeling like roommates, because touching and kissing, that's the thing that differentiates us from just sharing space with another person, right Yeah, And I think that that is the exact wrong approach to take. I think that we should be getting our partner a little bit fired up, getting them a little bit excited.
Speaker 1: So flirting, you're going to.
Speaker 2: Flirting, and you know, I would rather have a relationship where I feel that spark, that energy between the two of us, and I don't always get that fulfilled, versus having a relationship where there's no contact, no touch no kissing unless we both agree beforehand that we're going to go all the way and have sex. So I say, let's bring back, like, bring back the touching, bring back the kissing. It's okay to get each other like a little bit fired up, but then not go through with it. That was one of the most fun parts of the early stages, right, Like we're getting going, but we're not finishing the whole thing.
Speaker 1: So you're saying my theory of playing hard to get twenty years into marriage kind of like flipping that on, like reframing it to flirting, kind of like like flirting being cute and sexy and like having something to look forward to at the end of the day, like maybe being flirty earlier in the day and tonight, watch what happens, honey, I have a little surprise for us, like that kind of thing, right, Like you used to do when you were dating. Yeah, okay, I like that. I have to ask you this, So, like what about when, because this can happen even when you've been married, you know, a long time. So like when you like we'll joke around, Bill will be like, oh, I remember when when we first got married or when we were dating, you were so much more adventurous. You do this, you like this, you do that, and like, for instance, like lights on and now I'm like, like, you know, it's funny. Some couples get more comfortable as they go on some kind of like revert back to like I only want to do it at night with the lights out, or you know, what are your thoughts on that? Like what if one one person in the relationship likes lights on and one likes lights off? What do you do? Do you compromise with a little candle light? Like what are we doing here? Like, you know, because you have to think about these things too, right, because you're not going to agree on every single thing together.
Speaker 2: You know, couples have a tendency to get so much more vanilla the longer they've been together. Yeah, so what happens is at the beginning of the relationship we're figuring each other out, how do our bodies fit, what do we like doing together? And we're like finding our ideal routine, which is great. But then over time the ideal routine really starts to narrow down to the point where it gets super predictable. Right, most women can script out for you exactly what sex looks like. It's like, it's a few seconds of kissing, there's a little boob groping, maybe the hands go down between the legs, and then we're on to intercourse and it's a couple minutes and then we roll up. You know, it's like, who gets excited for that? That is the definition of mushy broccoli sex, all right. But I think it happens because we stop taking risks with each other. Weirdly, the longer you've been with somebody, the harder it starts. Feeling to be vulnerable in front of you. We don't want to be seen as doing something new or taking a risk. We get so comfortable with how we are and to the point where we are really starting to damage our connection because we don't want to be vulnerable. So, you know, everybody's heard the advice to spice it up, and it sounds like really cheesy advice, but it actually has science behind it. We need to do new things with our partners. We need to mix things up in order to keep us on our toes, to keep us feeling interested and excited. You cannot have great sex without being vulnerable. So I want everybody listening to this to really be honest with themselves and think to themselves, when was the last time I was truly vulnerable during sex? When was the last time I took a risk during sex? If you can't remember something, if you don't have an answer that comes to time, yeah, that's a good sign that it's time to mix things up. And it does not mean so okay. A lot of people will hear me say I spice things up and they think, oh my god, now we've got to get the whips and chains out and you got what I want to get. That's where our brains go, too, right, But that does not have to be the only way to mix things up. Of course, if you want to do that, go ahead and do that. But mixing things up could be just bringing some stuff back that you used to do earlier in your lifelationship that you haven't done in a while. Doesn't need to be a brand new thing that you've never done before. It could be you know, oh, man, we used to spend a lot more time on oral sex, and I can't even remember the last time we had oral sex. Okay, it could be, Oh, there was that position that we did that one time that actually was really fun, but I don't know why we never repeated that.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's okay if it's something that you've done before. But we do need to be taking risks and being vulnerable with each other.
Speaker 1: It's not just so much like oh, bringing like toys or lotions and potions and things like that, and you're saying even just going back and being like, oh, it's like a position we haven't done in a while or something. Okay, I got that. I like that right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, start with stuff that you've already done, because that feels easier. You know you've already done it, it's not brand new, and that'll give you the confidence to keep going and trying other things. But we actually have research showing that women are the ones who need more novelty in relationships than men are.
Speaker 1: But I said, before I let you go, what are your thoughts on couples who start to sleep in separate bedrooms for different reasons, Like it could be anything, right, they have different sleep schedules. Oh, one watches TV, one doesn't. They're like, Eh, he knows I love him, she knows I love her. Let's just sleep in our separate bedroom. What are your thoughts on that? And in terms of how that applies to the conversation we're having today.
Speaker 2: Is the sleep divorce? Sleep divorces are really on the rise?
Speaker 1: Is that dangerous in your eyes? In terms of like the maintaining a healthy sex life, I.
Speaker 2: Think there's something really intimate about having a moment at the end of the day together. So I'm okay with couples sleeping separately because there are a lot of valid reasons for that, like totally different schedules. Maybe someone's got horrific snoring, maybe there or babies. You know, there are a lot of perfectly understandable reasons. But what I would say is, if you're going to sleep separately, make sure you have some sort of ritual at the end of the day. And again, I don't think it should be sex, because I think that sex is that's the worst time to have sex at the very end of the day, but some sort of little ritual. It could be two minutes, doesn't need to be a big deal. Or maybe you both just crawl into bed together and you spend two minutes cuddling or two minutes talking about how your day was, but do something to wrap up the day together.
Speaker 1: Okay, And you know what I just thought of. You know what, Bill and I sometimes sleep in separate rooms because of that schedule and that sort of thing. You could even make that part of this flirting and the spiciness. So like I go, good night Bill. Oh no, I'm not in the mood. Yeah, no, good night and night. Okay, see you tomorrow. No, I still think you're attractive, but I'm just not in the mood tonight. And then ten minutes later I knock on the door and I go, did someone order chocolate or like special delivery? And I come in and like, you kind of make it sexy, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: That could be very fun. I think you would like that a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I'll tell him, all right, Vanessa, thank you so much. If people want to get your online guides, where did they go for that?
Speaker 2: They can go to vmtherapy dot com. It's my initials V M T h E R A p y dot com. Our most popular one is the Ultimate four Play Guide, which has over one hundred unique techniques. We have gotten the best feedback. People will tell us like I use that on my husband and he was literally speechless for ten minutes hourards sois are very fun and it's just a fun place to start. It's not, you know, nothing's wrong, nobody's having to have any serious conversations. It's just pure fun. And our ultimate sex positions are very very fun as well, so would definitely recommend checking those out. And we'd also love to connect with anyone from your community. On Instagram. We're at Vanessa and xanders Anders with an x and we make a lot of content there specifically to open up conversations between partners. So if you want to get talking with your partner, want this to feel like a more lighthearted topic in your relationship, because it should. Sex shouldn't have to feel serious and heavy and scary. It should feel playful and light and fun. You can go check us out there too.
Speaker 1: I'm literally coowey. Hold on, I'm not kidding. I'm doing it right now, and let me tell you why. I'm going to follow you right now on Instagram, and Vanessa and then a ND and then XA and d are yes exactly.
Speaker 2: We make a lot of ridiculous content too. We act out the worst sex positions we've ever found on the internet.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, really, hold on, Vanessa's Okay, So here it is Vanessa Xander. Okay, so I'm going to follow oh one point three million followers. You go, Okay, I'm following you because you know why, because what if I forget, like to do all of this and then having following you on Instagram? Now you're just gonna pop up and it's gonna be fun videos and it's like, you know what I mean, And that's the name of the game, you guys, is to just like you have to make this part of your everyday life or every other day life, you know, like that You're just this has got to be top of mind, especially for a lot of people who just like I forgotten about it, and by those people I mean me. So I'm going to be better about it. Vanessa, You're the best. Thank you so much for joining me. I'll fill Bill in on the conversation for sure, but thank you so much. This was awesome.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me