Speaker 1: Do you follow any other sports?
Speaker 2: Football? Probably probably the biggest.
Speaker 1: Who's your team?
Speaker 3: Green Bay Packer? I actually I worked the Super Bowl when they played Denver in San Diego on an event staff so I could go to the game. Oh shitbox at the time, but I was kipib but knowing who that was and I and then fast forward twenty ten, I was in a fieldbox and they asked me afterwards, you want to you want to come on the field. You're like, yeah, come on, yeah, yeah, of course I want to go on if I come on the field. And they just wanted my team now that just won the Super Bowl. And I got players asking me for a picture with their families after they just won the Super Bowl. So I just that was the first time I asked you went man came a long way in twelve years.
Speaker 1: That's like such an underdog, awesome story. Welcome to Games with Names. I'm Julian Edelman, They're Jack and Kyler, and we're on a mission to find the greatest game of all time or this the greatest fight of all time. And on today's episode, we are covering the UFC fifty two Couture versus Lddell two with Hall of Famer and one of the goats of the sport, the Iceman himself, Chuck Laddell, and we get into talking his legendary rivalry with Randy Couture.
Speaker 2: Great opponent.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a really tough guy, really good dirty boxing, good wrestlings control.
Speaker 1: If Chuck could beat Mike Tyson in a street fight.
Speaker 2: See on one shot. After that, he always felt like I could. I could beat anybody.
Speaker 1: And how his entourage cameo came to be.
Speaker 2: I asked everybody I knew to get they can get me on the show. I just want to walk on the AID events.
Speaker 1: And then we hit the old chill line in this week's Chill Zone, presented by cors like you gotta stick around to the very end. Games with Names the production of iHeartRadio April sixteenth, two thousand and five MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada.
Speaker 3: It's in two years to make this rematch a reality, but it only took one round for the Iceman to finish.
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 4: This is the Iceman comeing.
Speaker 1: I wanted I let you go first. Welcome to Games with Names. We have a very special guest. We have Chuck Liddell in the nuthouse to talk about the UFC fifty two match between Couture and Laddell two two at the height of what UFC was gonna become. This was like the This was the you know when you're starting a fire or your coals and you throw that goddamn lighter fluid on there. That's what this was for the UFC. Chuck Welcome to the nuthouse. In one sentence, why'd you pick this fight?
Speaker 3: I wanted revenge and I wanted the title. My manager at the time quick over me insisting on taking this to doing the show to get the chant title.
Speaker 2: I get another.
Speaker 3: Title shot because I'd lost the first time and if I ran it and my there was an argument between me and he wanted more money on this.
Speaker 2: I said, I don't care.
Speaker 3: I want the title and if I don't, if I do the show, I get the title. They're trying to add two fights at the end of my deal or whatever. So it was for me to do it because I would have been it would have this fight would have been the last fight on my deale. But yeah, it was like, I wanted to be the world champ, only the best in the world.
Speaker 1: You want to be the title, Is this the greatest fight of all time?
Speaker 2: That I don't know.
Speaker 1: We ask every guest. That's just one of the things.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But when people ask me all the time, they asked me, what's your favorite fight of all time? And if I could have put a lot of great fights out there, and a lot of fights again the audible mention, but if I had to pick.
Speaker 1: One, this is it because it was the first time you got to experience that, that title.
Speaker 3: And I did it the way I like to do it, clean knockout, and I did how we planned it.
Speaker 1: We had everything worked perfect, clean knockout. We'll jump into it. That's freaking awesome. What are you up to these days?
Speaker 2: Raising my kids?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Doing I do some uh you know, Colon line, King of Violence doing uh, doing those alcohols reaction videos.
Speaker 2: Those are kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was just kind of having fun with it, you know, doing different things.
Speaker 3: I do some movies, some TV, do some stuff, commentating, some here and there, just whatever. Yeah, I mean, kind of trying to have fun and enjoy my retirement.
Speaker 1: Enjoying retirement. It's never really retirement though you're transitioning. It's always like transitioning to other ship.
Speaker 3: You can't not someone that's driven as much as athletes are. It's it's you're it's a you know, you retire at a young age for you know, and you want to you want to do something you know you can't. You sitting around being done last for a very short amount of time, and the brain just starts going, what am I?
Speaker 2: What am I doing? Why am I? You need something to drive you.
Speaker 1: So you need something to stimulate, especially with athletes, like for me my first year out, I was it was tough. You know, you experience everything, you had, everything scared jeweled out since you were fucking eight years old, you've been you had a team, you were a part of, you had something you you were, you were, you were going for.
Speaker 2: You always working.
Speaker 3: There was always that and for me, like I'm a I'm a maniac, you know, I always was. So there's always that something to draw me back, like I still have this goal. I'm gonna be world champ. I want to be the best in the world. I want to do these things. So that's always there guiding me, like keeping me under, reeling me back here because I just say, oh yeah, I take a bunch of time off after five I never took a bunch of time. I have a week off, maybe week and a half, and then we're just me. Being off was like being back in the gym and me not being the focus, just working with my guys or someone else has a fight coming up, I'm working on them.
Speaker 1: But I was always training, always training.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm always getting ready for something.
Speaker 1: Now you said, maniac, you're a maniac. I I I you know, from the outside looking in, that's what it looks like. How did this maniac develop? Like tell us about a young Chuck Liddell and Santa Barbara, But tell us about young Chuck Liddell Santa Barbara were the maniac that didn't have a dad, that was raised by his grandfather and his mother and his grandma. Like tell us about young Chuck Liddell and how this maniac became?
Speaker 3: You know, honestly, I just really like fighting. I liked I liked martial arts. I liked I started watching Coachoo heroes young, and I begged my mom and let me. I was trying to learn how to books for a while and trying to beg my mom and let me start doing doing karate and started learning to martial arts and she finally let me do it and I started, and you know, I just picked on a little bit when I was young and learned to was told not to fight, so but I did so I didn't. And the principal actually called my mom and said, like, you know, these kids are beating him up every day, like you know, and he I asked him why he didn't defend himself and he said, you said he can't.
Speaker 2: You're not He's not out to fight, so he wouldn't, you know.
Speaker 3: So they're like and they were actually taking my lunch money and for you know, I wouldn't give it to them, so they'd have to take it. Until I kind of looked back at that, it's kind of, hey, you're gonna take it. We're gonna take it, but I can't fight you back. Yeah, And then my mom said, you know, you can't start a fight, but you can go ahead and finish it. My grandpa started working with me on fighting. And grandpa's a little nuts but you know, from Brooklyn and grew up tough, and you know, he started I mean, he showed me how to knife fight and got like like, okay, I'm a little young for that, but all right, but yeah, I don't know, but uh, you taught me how to fight, and I like fighting, and I just like fighting a lot, and going up through high school, I fought a lot.
Speaker 2: And he'll be surprised of me. You know.
Speaker 3: See, guys, the guys are fighting. You'll see that that don't that didn't get fights growing up. You know that that weren't. That wasn't their thing. Yeah, but I fought a lot, but usually I always said it. I never I never start a fight. I never let you out of it.
Speaker 2: Really easy either.
Speaker 3: I figured that about twenty one twenty two. You got to give guys out. I'm not gonna let you do something I want you to do. But you know, but back then I'd be like, hey, man, hey, you don't want to fight you, but but I will.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I got no problem with you. Was you I gotta do?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: You were gonna beat him up? Right? He doesn't want to fight, but I'll fight you. Why did you fight me? Make it?
Speaker 3: Either put their table, tain legs or throw a punch? So he said a lot, did a lot of that, did a lot of fighting growing up.
Speaker 1: Now I was I was reading about you, and I was doing all our research. I was I was infatuated with Your relationship with your grandpa reminded me a lot of your upbringing reminded me a lot of my dad. My dad didn't have his pop. He was with his mom only. He didn't have grandpa around, but he had an older brother. I was kind of like that, so had that Like, what role did your grandpa play in all of this?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: A lot of it, I think, man, I keep thinking, right, how did he get me to feel the way he made me feel? Like? One thing I wasn't like like, my grandpa's always proud of me. Like, if if you give you a hundred, I don't care what you're doing. You give it a one hundred percent, you lose. No one can ask more from him. You know, I'm proud he's proud of you. You know, you out there win, lose draw. As long as you go out there and bust your ass, he doesn't care you ot to dog it.
Speaker 2: He's gonna be mad. Growing up with my grandmother.
Speaker 3: You know, there's one thing I other things I was never afraid of him, man, in my life never happened. People always ask me that, what worry if you can you're walking to a bar and trying to peer out which guys you might not why I don't care. You know, you commit a fighting of fans, we're fighting. You do something I'm not gonna allow you to do. I don't want you to do. I'm going to stop.
Speaker 2: You or I'm not.
Speaker 3: And you know, I just never cared, like I've never never worried about anybody like that. And and it was something but the way my grandpa brought me, you know, a lot of times it was just through stories and telling stories and telling a story. At one time he rolled up in a bar, up to a bar fight, and it was there late his buddy all beat up. The cops showed up and arrested him, and they said, said, I said to him, oh, well, we figured you must have been on the other side because you don't have a mark on you. So I'm like, I'm like, to me, that's what that meant, you know, Like he was reminded me and.
Speaker 2: My Grandma's guy.
Speaker 3: He always believed in me, always thought I thought I could do anything, you know, and that confidence I you know, I die for him, you know, trying to trying to prove I can do what he said, what he thinks I can do, you know, so, you know, but having that confidence and that being comfortable with I like with the consequences, Like I don't care, like you gotta understand, Like if we decided to fight in the street, I don't care what happens to me, and I don't care what happens to you. That's just it's not. I don't I don't want to. I'm not a violent person. I don't like to attack me. I don't want to find anybody. But if you, if you want to fight, I mean I like fighting. I like fighting as a sport, like trying to show you I better than you. You want to, you want to, Hey, can we who's better? Let's go, Let's go and do it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I I love doing that. But I don't want to hurt anybody.
Speaker 3: And that's not something I like. It's not And if I decide that, I don't understand. If I decided to throw a punch at you then attack you, I don't You've done something pretty bad if you're attacking my family, my friends, my kids, you know, somebody, somebody I really care about war and usually not me, because I mean, if I can just defend myself pretty.
Speaker 1: Well, Yeah, so no one's fucking with you. I'll tell you that. I love that. I love that. Your grandpa he was basically in your corner. He was he was he was a guy that pushed you.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would joke about that.
Speaker 3: I someone because I did my podcast and he asked me, like I told the story.
Speaker 2: My grandpa said, he's a I was nineteen years old. Man, you could beat that my tyson.
Speaker 4: Guy.
Speaker 3: That was when Tyson on the top of the world. You could beat that my tyson. I have a gaps. But you know, I think it's the funny thing was now nowadays it's it's a funny thing like who'd wanted a street fight? Miya Tyson's and and I was, he's one of the guys. I say, wow, he's got he's got one shot on the land. Yeah, as we're closing the distance, he on one shot after that, if I get hold on, it's over. But I don't want but if he catches that shot, and now for boxing, I don't I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm in a little trouble.
Speaker 1: But he put that in your head and he let you manifest that ship.
Speaker 2: He always felt like I could I could beat anybody.
Speaker 1: Now do you do you what's your sports fandom. Do you follow any other sports?
Speaker 2: Football? Probably the probably the biggest.
Speaker 1: Who's your team?
Speaker 2: Green Bay Packers?
Speaker 1: By the Packers, That's.
Speaker 2: Always the funny question.
Speaker 3: But it came down I was, I want to bet with my grandfather. Uh, he's he's been on the RAMS, and the Green Bay was not supposed to win.
Speaker 2: I won a game against my grandfather.
Speaker 3: And then right after that, guy, this guy, Roger mcnami was giving out hatstar our football team and said what's your favorite football team? And I didn't have one, really O. I was like, you know, Packers, Green Bay, you know, And and I stuck with it, and I stayed there. And that was when the Bears were big. I graduated eighty eight. Yeah, and the big uh you know, frigerator, refrigerator.
Speaker 1: Perry and all Niners were awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know I was a Green Bay man. I stuck it, stuck it out, I actually.
Speaker 2: And I was. I tell the story that now. I worked.
Speaker 3: I worked the Super Bowl when they when they when they played Denver in San Diego on an event event staff, so I.
Speaker 2: Could go to the game. Oh ship box at the time, but I was kick by but knowing who that was, and I was my buddy.
Speaker 3: My buddy was doing the event staff, and he's like, you want to work or want to put you on the fifty yard line in the stands, but your fifth yard line front row and.
Speaker 2: You can watch Super Bowl. So I go. I went to the Super.
Speaker 3: Bowl and watch the lose, and then and I and then fast forward twenty ten. I was in a field box and they asked me afterwards, you want to you want to come on the field. You're like, yeah, Parashitt in the woods, come on, yeah, yeah, yeah, of course I go on if I come on the field. And they just wanted my team now that just won the Super Bowl. And I got players asking me for a picture with their families after they just won the Super Bowl. So I just that was the first time I asked you what man came a long way in twelve years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was ninety eight to look at that he was working the game as security of his favorite team, the Green Bay Packers. To the next time they get up in there with Aaron Rodgers, I think gate rod asked him for a pick. He said, I want Chuck Leadell picture for the Super Bowl. That's fucking that's like such an underdog, awesome story. Any other sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll watch just about anything. Yeah, I like all the fighting sports.
Speaker 1: Are you watching fighting now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well I love fighting. I still love boxing, kickboxing.
Speaker 1: And who is the fighter right now that you're like that dude a badass motherfucker.
Speaker 3: Alex where he's a beast. Yeah, I love watching him fight. I think I got robbed his last fight. But yeah, I mean you can't the way they I don't know who was watching that fight they got one of those judges had four rounds to one. I don't know what fight he was watching, but yeah, yeah, you know that just he got zero takedown. Dude, Like, how do you get that control against the cage for a minute in the last round? How do you give him the last round? I don't know, it just it was it was pretty bad. Yeah did you.
Speaker 2: Haven't rewatched it yet, but in person, that just it looks like it looked terrible.
Speaker 1: It looked bad, bad decision. That's why there's so much objectiveness in these sports. I don't there's so much great in like boxing, fighting, fucking Russian judges and Olympics.
Speaker 2: I think fighting.
Speaker 3: A big problem with that too, is like it's harder at judge wrestling if you've never wrestled, yeah, jiu jitsu. We've never done jiu jitsu. You know, it's just there are hard things to to really quantify. What's what's what's real control, what's just holding on to a guy? Like I got I can watch and watch the guy. Yeah, I gots just hold the guy. He's not really trying to do anything. He's just trying to He's killing time right there, just just relaxing and killing time. But he's doing anything much now. Yeah, so you get a little slight ass for that. But like you know, or like an attempted submission, what an attempt was if it's close, okay, but a guy just trying one, that doesn't count.
Speaker 2: What to that count? For people trying to get for a while, they're they're trying to make that count.
Speaker 3: Like for just it's like me throwing a punch and you give me credit for it, just gonna through it, you get close to landing, but it actually it points for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you wrestled in high school.
Speaker 2: That's a high school in college and.
Speaker 1: You fell in love with how how did you fall in love with wrestling?
Speaker 3: I just I just like actually was forced to do it by my football coach karate before I did kate, before I started when I was twelve, was fourteen, my sophomore year in high school. Our basically our football coach said, are you doing anything else? Are you playing basketball or anything in the winter sport? No, you're wrestling.
Speaker 1: It because you got to think about this, like Chuck is legit probably like this generation of UFC was like the first like blood sport type fighter that like, you put any kind of fighter in a ring and we see who's the best one coming out, And it's cool to see how it was developed because look, he did karate of twelve twelve to whatever, and then he started doing wrestling until he's naturally getting all these fucking skills.
Speaker 3: And here's the thing back then, that was one of the bantages I had in the beginning, because when I came into the sport, everybody was coming from one discipline.
Speaker 2: And there's basically three disciplines.
Speaker 3: Right, there's striking different all the different rating, there's submissions for on the ground, and then' there's wrestling with the transition between standing and ground and and everybody's had one and was trying to learn the other two. I had the advantage of coming in and knowing two and being pretty good at.
Speaker 2: Two and and having to learn one.
Speaker 3: And like I was, I mean I was a fifty to fifty wrestler in college.
Speaker 2: I mean I bought random and he could.
Speaker 3: He didn't take me down, but he if we wrestled a straight wrestling match, he was national champion year I was a year when I was fifty. You know, had a fifty five hundred records. Yeah, you know, so, I mean he would have taken me to any but you know I had he had to give me a littlet of extra distance because I mean I hit hard, I had throw punches when you get close, and and I was, but I was able to defend his takedown and knock him out.
Speaker 2: And if so, it's one of those things.
Speaker 3: It's just like you know, me coming in with all, like coming in with two and only after a concentrated learning one, and then I made made the conscious effort to learn just a small like to concentrate mostly on a smaller portion of that thing. I wasn't because I wasn't gonna be slick enough to catch guys at the level I was started. I started fighting in the UFC, so I wouldn't be slick enough to catch people at that level.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to take me too long to learn to be that good.
Speaker 3: So I just worked on getting out and standing up from that position.
Speaker 2: And like I you know, like I do different different things.
Speaker 3: Like Buddy showed me how to roll to a knee bar, and I figured out, if I get halfway through roll to that neebar and they're defending the kneebar, I just pulled my leg out and stand up and it worked really great. So I would I would catch guys my surprise a lot back then.
Speaker 1: So yeah, now did you see any of your rest Like what position you playing football? Were you a linebacker? I mean you got it. He gotta be a linebacker. So did you do you think you got any of your striking or your fucking explosiveness from learning how to tackle?
Speaker 3: Everything played into it. Yeah, and I like to hit that one of my things.
Speaker 1: But I played with Steve Neil and he he didn't play football in college. You have you heard Steve Neil was a badass, motherfucking wrestler, and yeah, he played Misfield. Yeah, he Bakersfield. He's a big Bakersfield guy. And he didn't know it. He didn't play any football.
Speaker 3: He came out, I would to tell poll, So, yeah, that's we.
Speaker 2: Run all that time.
Speaker 3: We packed that but yeah, uh we were packed ten and technically for wrestling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's the only reason they still have wrestling because he still feeds the fucking program bro Like but like, it's just so crazy because he was one of the most athletic guys I've ever seen on the field.
Speaker 2: Like he's one of those heavyweight wrestlers that wrestled like a one eighteen founder exactly.
Speaker 3: It's normally a little bit a little bit slower, different, different style of wrestling. You know, you get bigger, styles get different, right, he was wrestling at he does the heavyweight I could think a one ag bounder.
Speaker 1: And that's how he got on the linebackers. He got on linebackers at the second level. Really good lineman. Getting to the second level is the tough part is getting to those fast fucking linebackers, you know, battling with those big boys they could do that, so they got to bounce off that guy and get to that second level and try to catch a fast guy. And Steve was so fucking good at that. It's probably because of all the rest.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, wrestling transfer that way really well because that is the body on body contact. That's why, like for me, like as a coach, when I was doing it, and you get guys from different different things, I always said, give me an All American wrestler, you know, because I got a guy that I know, he's mentally tough. I know he knows how to cut weight and make weight, and he's got skills that I'm never gonna be able to teach guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have time. You could.
Speaker 3: I could teach a striker to wrestle and to wrestle for revme, but you're never gonna have the time to teach them some of the natural stuff that they the reps that they're gonna get, those reps that they got growing up.
Speaker 2: And they those.
Speaker 3: Guys in there there the hips and that, different different things that they do for wrestling, so and and that, and that's an element that makes it.
Speaker 2: I can, you know, I can teach those guys. Most of those guys, my wrestlers.
Speaker 3: That come in, I teach them in six to six months a year to stay at any submissions that most got the average most fighters are going to run into going to put them in and then just because they because they can they can stay on top. Yeah, and they can stay on top. It's there, and they're they're tough up there.
Speaker 1: So you you think that the wrestling base is always the best space to start.
Speaker 2: It's the easiest base.
Speaker 1: It's like foundation. Actually it's a foundation.
Speaker 3: And it's and it's harder to learn when you're older, Yeah, because because the reps, it takes it and wrestling is hard to take down.
Speaker 2: That's hard on your body.
Speaker 1: And like the I bet like the hip mobility and stuff being in those awkward positions like I'm a sprinter, so I have no fucking hit move like I can't do any of that. But watching like wrestlers and you guys getting in those fucking things, like when you do that at a younger age, the more muscle you put on, the older you get, it probably transis it's used to it, You're us to it. Yeah, that's fucking crazy. When's the first time you realized you had heavy hands?
Speaker 3: I knew from from finding the street and stuff, like I can knock people out. I knocked a lot of people out growing up, and you know, just knowing that I could that one bunch knockout was not you know, it took me a minute to find it. So John really helped me with that. Ackleman helped me refine my s like and to get my timing down a little more and little I always had that.
Speaker 2: Pop on my elbows and stuff.
Speaker 3: But just find being able to land those punches and land those heavy punches.
Speaker 2: It was a lot from John.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you remember the first time you got punched in the face?
Speaker 2: No, that white too long.
Speaker 1: I say the same thing I say say I don't remember my first hit at all. It sparked something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love finding guys that don't like getting it. Yeah, because you got those guys. No, but no, no one really likes getting it. Okay that that I say you don't like it. What I mean by I don't like getting it is that they react overreact to maybe getting hit. So when you start, it's way too easy for a good striker. It's way too easy for you to side a guy out. Brock Lesser watching him like he's so afraid to get hit, and now that being sad, that guy's all hard like Shane Carman fight when he got when he got dropped him surviving and just keep fighting and going and trying to win after getting dropped like that. That's that's all hard, that's hard. But he still had that fear of getting hit like it's a it's a weird thing to get used to it. Don't try. Don't convert from wrestling. That's the other thing I can't give you.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: I'm not willing to teach you to be mentally tough if you come to me to fight and I and I'm not able to give you a chance.
Speaker 1: When did you know you wanted to make fighting a career?
Speaker 2: Oh, it was just kind of I kind of just kept going.
Speaker 3: I just graduated a great rite call I was kickbatching, to keep continuing from just to keep competing while I was.
Speaker 1: While I was doing it, when did a kickboxing come?
Speaker 3: So we went to college, finish wrestling in ninety three, started kickboxing, just kind of keep competing while I was while I was, uh finished up school. I finished school in ninety five. But then I was an accounting major and I was, you know, kind of working in the bar fighting train, training every day fighting. You know, Ah, maybe I'm gonna try this fighting thing for a little while now.
Speaker 1: There what was where could you fight. At that time when you're thinking of this, was UFC was coming around. UFC came in ninety three three, right, so you're ninety five box, but it's still new.
Speaker 3: It's new, and it wasn't I wasn't even thinking about actually the runs on. Neil by that time was already telling me, I should you do UFC? And I'm like, I don't know. I don't know how to get inn Like anybody like they talk about talk about it, but no one knew how to get into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't know how to get into it back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no Internet, there's no social media, there's no there's no easy way to find out.
Speaker 1: Where to go to get there's no information.
Speaker 3: I was actually got to the point in ninety seven where I was gonna about right to like say, you know what, I gotta my grandma's give me a hard time.
Speaker 2: I got to really go get a real job.
Speaker 3: I was talking to John about it, and I was like, you know, I don't I don't know if we're gonna go overseas and fight and kick kickboxing. You had to go overseas and make any money, and and I don't know if we're gonna get I don't know if it's gonna get there, and so I'm like maybe. And then someone, actually, this guy Nick one kick plongering in Vegas, asked me if I want to do a mixed fight on one of his shows, so open hand, palm strike like pancers, old school rules, and and I went out and I was like, okay, sure, why not, I'll do one more fight, you know, like before I go look for a real job. And I was laying it as much as I could, so when I went out there, and I went out there and went up, by the time I got there, it was you could only slap with this part of her hand where you could kick kick that, and then once you hit the ground it was no striking. But I'm like when I was finding a jiu jitsu guy, I guess and I'm like, okay, no problem. So I went out and I wound up kicking the guy in the head and knocking him out.
Speaker 2: And some guy asked me, right after something, you want fight in the UFC. I said, yeah, sure, let's try it.
Speaker 3: So they offered me an alternate spot in the tournament for one thousand dollars to go out, and the tournament was twenty five grand if you want it. But it was a thousand bucks to show up and fight one fight, and then you're the alternates of the tournament. So if we get in, and they said five out of last seven got in, so if I got in, there'd be either ten thousand or twenty thousand, I think twenty five or.
Speaker 2: Whatever, and so I okay, perfect.
Speaker 3: So I went and did that and I just kind of fell in love with doing it and I want up you know. That was that was in ninety eight UFC seventeen and uh, I won my fight, didn't get into didn't get into the tournament. I tried to talk Henderson out of fight in the second round, but because they asked me, what do you think you should do? His legs kind of beat up for that first fight, and I'm like, you know, the best thing would me is to hold off the next time. Maybe maybe you shaid like I think they don't know if they figured out that I was not giving advice, but I was starting to talk about it fighting that about because I wanted to fight.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, now, John Heckelman, that's got to be one of your guys that like he kind of kind of like in that Grandpa role where he told you, Hey, he kind of like you can do this ship, you should do this ship, or he guided you.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, always there, He's always there. You know, he's still we're still friends. You know he's still we're still training. Still come up and train with him. Yeah, he's my he was my coach the whole time, and he really helped. Like he wasn't traveling, wasn't working with me as much in the right in the beginning, and tend a man, I need your help strike because we was doing the mixed ma front stuff. He's like, didn't know if he fit in that much. I need you, I need you to come back. I'm not knocking guys out exactly, see what see what's off because like he was one of the guys I like from me. I would not dropping guys with my body shot, my little shot. You know, I'd be missing and he'd be like, oh change that angle though, you just ang a little more up. Okay, Oh thanks John, drop one guy's barn and okay.
Speaker 1: That he was your magi. Yeah, he was your mister miagi.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: When's the first time you meet Dana White, don't know.
Speaker 2: Exactly I I met him.
Speaker 3: Uh, I was trained and trained with Tito a little bit, and it's when we trained trained the other he was managing Tino, and he actually told Dan, hey, man, he managed you like him all watch this guy. You know guys see Chuck, because I used to beat Tito up all the time and train it. Yeah, like I could beat him with wrestling. I could beat it at dour styles match well for him. Yeah, I beat him in a straight wrestling. I beat him in a ju match. I mean, he's probably better at submitting people than I was, but I still I don't score him. And it's match meet him. Every time when he wrestled, I beat him, and every time we struck, I beat him like I dropped on body a bunch of times.
Speaker 1: And he's the face of the lead.
Speaker 2: He wasn't.
Speaker 3: He wasn't the face of that, but he was when they because they hadn't taken it over yet, because it was our manager.
Speaker 1: So he's just your manager manager at that time. So you you meet him through Tito ish Uh, through Wayne Harriman, Wayne Harriman, and so then you start training with Tito, and then all of a sudden, Dana's like, who the fuck is this guy beating the shotut of my guy?
Speaker 3: And then uh so let me go. When did the did everything? They bought and they want to buy in the OC?
Speaker 1: You know, how was he as a manager great?
Speaker 3: And he was the first guy like going out and try to get other things like he was trying to get us in like not just like black Belt magazine or whatever, starting to get his fitness magazines or get different He was trying to get better exposure, more stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was. He was getting into different markets.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was.
Speaker 3: He was really And then when he you know, I think, I mean, I don't like to speak for him, but I think they went they they The way I understood it back then was they were he was looking at him and then were talking about doing a boxing promotion and they decided, you know, hey, why don't we just do why don't we do this that's not being run right, Let's do it the right way. And so they got it and then they suck a bunch of money to do it and then it took off.
Speaker 1: So did the relationship change once he became like pretty much the president.
Speaker 3: Well, when they when they bought the company, he had to at least and actually he had by his old lawyer actually who did my legal stuff for during it as his manager. But he became my manager and then he actually quit over me taking the Ultimate Fighter deal because you're old manager. Oh man, imagine a quick quick quit because over that, because he's not because he thought I wasn't. I wasn't trusting him with the stop. I mean, I get it, but it was like I said, no, we got to do this. I want that title. Yeah, it's guaranteed me as the title shot, and it's it's gonna be on free TV.
Speaker 2: We have to we have to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's Dana White mean to the UFC?
Speaker 2: We wouldn't be here today.
Speaker 3: Like what I tell people all the time, people whatever they want to say about him about money and all that stuff. When when I came into the sport, when I loved it and I moved it, I mean a home run was making under fifty grand a year. By the end of my career, like I was making up over one hundred fifty of my shorts, you know. I mean, I mean they've gone away from that now too, but but I got I was mad. I was making more than that in the sponsorship, you know, And and not that and by the way that home run was making, it was fighting three times that year to make that one fifty. That's like that was you were the top guys. We wouldn't have advance as far. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them. I mean, I think it would have eventually got here without those fighter or not without all the things that they did.
Speaker 2: To promote the sport.
Speaker 3: And I think we wouldn't We would have gotten here because it's a great sport, but I think we would we would still be fighting to get here.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't be here yet, you know. It's it's it's one of those things.
Speaker 3: It's like I I remember we were we went around, we were doing all these things, just trying to get We're going to Boston Boston Globe asking pegging them to put us in the leisure section, you know, not they they weren't even covering us in the sports sections, and they was just to put us anywhere. I thought it was funny when they called me few years later and asked me for where I liked to vacation for their leisure section. After We've been there trying to trying to break in it, just to just get coverage. But we and that was one of the things for me that actually I think helped me cross over a little more with with fans and stuff like that. We were doing all this tuff man, you did a good job of marketing yourself. No, I wasn't marketing me. I was trying to market our sport. I was trying to get dance through the stars. I did that because it's a different democratic and I wanted to see us. And there were not a bunch of Neanderthals, you know, because that's one of the things we're fighting in the beginning, was just a bunch of guys.
Speaker 2: That fell off a part stool and wanted to fight. Nothing else to do to do this.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you know, I had a college degree, I got gone to have an accountant if I wanted to. I didn't want to. I liked I like fighting, I like training doing martial arts. I like I like the sport.
Speaker 1: It's freaking Dana White Blue bitch up. Yeah, he blew the bitch.
Speaker 3: Up, But that that was he was always trying to promote it making And.
Speaker 1: Look where we're at now. We're at ten eleven, twelve b now, and I mean it's on ESPN's it's so crazy because during this whole time, especially UFC fifty two, when this match took place in two thousand and five, I mean, I was in high school. I remember like starting to learn about the UFC. My brother loved it. And now, like you go to a high school now everyone's talking about UFC on the clips on Instagram to this that, I mean, it's a major sport. Now, it's a fucking major I would call I would consider it a major. It's in the Big five.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: They created themselves to be in over boxing. It's killing boxing right now. Really took advantage of COVID two. COVID was huge. It's fucking awesome. We got chuck La down here. We'll be right back after this quick break, Let's go back into a segment where we go back into time when the fight took place. This fight took place April sixteen, two thousand and five, when we go over pop culture and we just talk about what was going on. Number one movie, What is that?
Speaker 5: Amityville horror starring Ryan Reynolds and Philip Baker Hall. Michael Bay produced it. It was a remake of a nineteen seventy nine film adaptation from a book by Jay Arson. Budget nineteen million, gross, one hundred and seven point five.
Speaker 2: Did you see that? I actually never saw it.
Speaker 1: I never saw that one either, Chuck, it's scary. I was never a horror movie guy, me either.
Speaker 3: I just so one of those things that I don't They don't scare me usually, and usually it's like I remember one watching one Brad Penny told me to watch that's scared. I'm the things like, oh hey man, it's kind of creepy movie, and this guy's kidnapping.
Speaker 2: I was, and then this guy.
Speaker 3: Starts wrestling with the like the boogie man guy, like it's actually wrestling with him.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, that's over it. If I can survive that, I killed that guy.
Speaker 5: Chuck Liddell doesn't watch scary movies. Scary movies, watch Chuck Liddell.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. I watched The Exorcists when I was thirt thirteen years old. I slept with my parents for two weeks after that. I was fucking terrified. The Extorus just fucked me up. And Chucky. When I was young, I had an older brother used to do a bunch of fucking. He was seven years older, so he used to fuck with me, So I don't like scary movies either. Chuck, I'm with you, Candy Shop. We all knew that with fifty cent that was especially that was high school.
Speaker 5: Baby, this is senior year for you.
Speaker 1: This is like senior year. I think this is when Tom Cruise jumped on Oprah's couch.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is this when he went scientology went kind of?
Speaker 5: I think he's always been scientilog.
Speaker 1: He went a little. He's still cool. I still watch all his movies. I'll support the shit out of YouTube came out in two thousand and five.
Speaker 5: The first video ever was posted on YouTube. It was titled Me at the Zoo, was uploaded by one of YouTube's co founders. It was a nineteen second video of him standing next to elephants at a zoo.
Speaker 1: Interesting and now we watch fucking like chickens take dumps, and over fucking a billion people will watch that because of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is crazy.
Speaker 1: It's fucking nuts. NBA champion San Antonio Spurs MVP Steve Nash, he was fucking dirty. NFL champions the Pats. This is when they took down Eagles.
Speaker 5: Yeah. This is the last of the four last.
Speaker 1: Of the first three Peyton Manning was the MVP. What was Chuck Ldell like in two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: Two thousand five, I was at the top of my game fighting. I was just loving it. It was awesome. We were, you know, having fun.
Speaker 3: It was really different though, Like I gotta say, like, so we did Ultimate Fighter, right, so we filmed it, oh four, then over four and then you know, I was walking around mall like right after it started airing, and like like the people coming up and be like, hey, good fight, Like hey, Like I used to be able to walk into a room and go, okay.
Speaker 2: That guy with the tap out shirt and that.
Speaker 3: Guy over there and that guy over there probably know who I am. And then all of a sudden, I got like, you know, Grandma's coming up. Hey, great fight there, and I'm like, how do you know what? What?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like it was, it was all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: It went from that being you know, real pretty easy to tell who might know you, to everybody like it was it was crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the ed Hardy guy, he knows them. But now we got Grandma, Grandma is now knowing dude. We got to talk about I remember watching you and fucking Entourage. Who'd you punk? Johnny Drama. That was hey because that was like the biggest show in the world.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I love that show.
Speaker 3: We all loved it for me, like I was one of those shows that was up probably the last show that I actually would when when I was traveling, would actually go try to find someboldace in HB on Sunday night, trying to watch.
Speaker 1: It without a doubt because we can't binge it back then, you can't just bend ship.
Speaker 3: And I asked everybody I knew to get like they get me on the show, you know, like I just want to walk on side events, and they when they it was cooler that when they found out they're gonna put me on, They're like, oh, we might as well put them on. And I was making him the punk. I think they had a they had something else, but they came up with a different punks.
Speaker 2: That you got got episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a lot of fun. You were everywhere in the in this time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again it's like one of those things that we're just trying to promote the sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Back then, like a lot of people, I really had no idea who I was. Down they knew who I was, so now they hear I'm fighting on it that. Oh maybe I watched that, Maybe I watched paper view. You know, it's that was the idea.
Speaker 1: What was your coolest experience that you think this time? What was your the one that you liked that was fucking I made Oh this is pretty cool.
Speaker 3: It was right after a week after the fight, like when it was fight, like h r U y e, do you want to go on a vacation with us? And then we full in private jet to.
Speaker 2: To besa help. I went on a couple of tow hundred foot yachts.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'd like eighty eight foot tenders and they're crazy. Like it was like you know, and like first time a kid that I mean I was, it was a kid anymore. I was thirty five, but I mean I've never done anything like that, no, you know. And then that for a week, and then I went to I think I did it on the longest like I think we went. We went to England and did a PR tour for a couple of days there.
Speaker 2: Then I flew bad. I did like they did, like I think they did.
Speaker 3: Like I was in like seventeen seventeen cities and five countries and like like five days, like in twenty five days or something.
Speaker 2: It was crazy.
Speaker 1: It was you were the perfect person at this time to promote the game because you I mean, you look like a fucking you look like a fighter.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also for in the.
Speaker 1: Haircut, you had the look. You had the fucking Cauliflowerer, you had the fucking the thing.
Speaker 3: I also I also had a college degree. We're still trying when still trying to convince me we're not just a bunch of you know that, you know, they have nothing.
Speaker 2: Else to do.
Speaker 3: I just want to fight, beat people up, you know. So that was a little easier, like you know, that was one of the things I did. I went with I got a before if I Tito the first time. This is before this. They uh, they told me, you got to do better on your interviews.
Speaker 2: Now. The problem back then was everybody.
Speaker 3: Coming to go to an interview. They don't even read their one sheet. They don't know what to talk about. They didn't know what MMA was. Yeah, they'd ask you, is this pro wrestling or you know I like to wrestling, or like they answer they asked dumb question, the dumbest questions. Well, and I'm like and they like it's hard to do an interview when you don't get no one knows what you're talking about, you don't know what to say. And then so I got my actually my manager back then is his sister was a drama teacher, and she actually said she'd coached me on doing interviews. Yeah, for a couple of days, and she asked me to write down the ten most common questions. At first of all, she goes across all these all shitty questions, and you got about two real questions there. So what you're gonna do from now on is when you go out there to ask you whatever shitty question they asked, answer the question yes or no, and then talk for about a minute and a half to two minutes about whatever you want to talk about, and and that and that, and then if they if they, if they're worth anything as an interviewer, they'll be able to follow up from there because we're doing radio. So it asked me, it's pretty quick hits. So interviewing people loved me. What'd you do? Like, Well, you told me to get better, and no one told me how to get better. I actually got someone went and got coached like on how to actually do an interview, How do I talk to people like what and especially like I said, back then, we were trying to educate the people asking us the questions what our sport is.
Speaker 2: They didn't they.
Speaker 3: Didn't know what it was like like you get a radio show host and they're like, who's this guy? You know he's what's fighting? I don't know what's MMA. I don't know that it's UFC.
Speaker 2: They don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was it was a There's still a lot of that back then. So we were doing all and it was it was fun.
Speaker 1: We're always trying to improve here in the nuthouse on games with names. Give us an example of a shitty question. So we don't ask anyone.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't even know, you know. They it's just ask answer.
Speaker 3: They'll ask an answer like did you think it was good that this guy did that?
Speaker 2: And did this?
Speaker 3: And and you know, and then then you should have done this, but they should have done that, Like.
Speaker 2: So do I tell you you're wrong?
Speaker 3: Or and we argue about this word, do you want me to just go because that's.
Speaker 2: About my two choices?
Speaker 1: Don't answer the question and the question.
Speaker 3: And other interviews or over talk, yeah, or they just wouldn't have you know, they just asked they don't know the sport at all.
Speaker 1: It was so new, so should you should have just did a little highlight clip of blood Sport and had band damn over there fighting the dude doing this and fucking you know, the big belly flop. Guy. I love that. That was one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: My brother pitched UFC to me when I was in high school because we were all, like everyone watched boxing at that time. He's like, bro, it's fucking blood Sport. I'm like, what are you talking about it? And he's like, go watch. I watched. It's like it's blood Sport. What So, what's on your pregame? Did you have a like iPad or like iPod or anything?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: What was in the Yeah, you know, you know the old iPod Actually.
Speaker 3: One of the commissioner stories. I love being in your room because I never know what's going to come on next?
Speaker 2: What was I go?
Speaker 3: I go from like Slayer to uh the Country to UH to wrap? Yeah, I mean I would we just go from just a lot of random stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm the same way hitting all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stuff come on.
Speaker 3: Different things fired me up different ways, you know, And so yeah, I and I was pretty d I was just having fun back there anyways.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and five, Chuckle was probably listening to like seeing all that by Young Gez and Ship. You know I'm talking about trap Star. Got a little country in there as well. Fucking awesome. Let's uh, let's jump into the fight. Uh So.
Speaker 5: Randy Cotour also is the natural from Everett, Washington and a Coatur had a background in Greco Roman wrestling and he was an All American wrestler at Oklahoma State Go Cowboys. He served in the one hundred and first Airborne before making his a UFC debut in nineteen ninety seven and in two thousand and five. At this point in his career he had a record of thirteen and six.
Speaker 2: And he just came down from heavyweight being a heavyweight champ.
Speaker 1: Can you break down his fight and fighting style? Yeah, he just a straight wrestler.
Speaker 3: No, he's really good at dirty boxing, getting inside and beat guys up in there, and then good wrestling, gets control, good cage control, good just all around a good fighter. Tough, take a shot.
Speaker 1: What was his greatest strength?
Speaker 3: He's wrestling and Understaid's wrestling and being able to being able to control control people.
Speaker 1: What's Randy Couture mean to the m m A. He was a big name, big.
Speaker 3: Name, and he was great. He's a great opponent. I mean, he's a really tough guy. Guy's been around, been around, had bit. Like I said, he got up, got one of very title that came down.
Speaker 2: We got that, like every ray title. Yeah, so it's tough man.
Speaker 1: Any bad blood none? None?
Speaker 2: No, we're good.
Speaker 3: Respect Yeah, respect What I mean, I don't think everybody I fought. I'm friends with everybody I fought pretty much except for Tito. But I mean I don't I don't even I don't hate Tito's just we don't, you know, just we don't like, we don't get along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all. We have a fighting public. I used to think it was.
Speaker 3: Funny, like back even back in the day when we're still fighting, like, yeah, coming out, we're going to club the man, tito'ish, everything gonna be okay, Like you.
Speaker 2: Got a couple of dollars, No, then, yeah, things gonna be fine. You're not gonna fight. I mean, you know, it's like we're good.
Speaker 1: So you fought Randy couldtur in the inner inner term match, right, It was like the inner interim belt and you lost. He was he came out. It was kind of it was kind of like you were thinking about Tito because there's all that Tito ship going on. Did you take anything from that first fight like into this second fight when you're going to the title fight?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that like for us? When I play a team in the regular season and I got that film of playing them, when I played them in the postseason, I felt like I had an upradge on them because I already felt their technique.
Speaker 3: Right after we watched. I didn't watch film that was the first fight. I didn't watch films four until we were scheduled because I was so upset that I let Tito off the hook to fighting me. Not that I lost to Randy. I respect for Andy. I just didn't like that let Titto off the hook. It just crushed me.
Speaker 2: So I was training and they need to get out. You got me right back in the ring, let me go fight.
Speaker 3: And Briane got me back to fighting right away because it's what I needed to get back and back.
Speaker 2: Focus on something. And then we started going.
Speaker 3: And and I when I when I signed a fight, we're ready to go. I watched watch film on it, and I watched the film We're Gonna Knock Him Out. Yeah, I got them, And that's I was always good at going back and breaking down what things.
Speaker 2: I saw a few little things, and that's all I needed.
Speaker 1: What did you see?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Like? What are you looking for when you're watching a film?
Speaker 3: Well, what I'm watching a film against someone else. I'm trying to see what things they do, like the whether movement habits are what? Hey, wow?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: And then usually when I find them, I try to test and see if they they have moved the same way against me, because a lot of fighters don't move the same.
Speaker 2: Way depending on what they're who you're fighting, they.
Speaker 3: Don't move that. They have a lot of similarities. And now they move, but they're not quietly. They might be a little more worried about me hitting them, so they're gonna move a little different. And they've trained it a little different from me and they did for somebody else. But when you see how they they're ready for you, and then then when they win, they usually don't change it.
Speaker 2: A whole lot.
Speaker 1: It's so similar to football, you know, like cause like that first drive when you're an offense you're throwing shit out there, and you're you're putting stuff that you saw on film out there to see how they defend. Right, there's someone that So then I can see, all right, we got our counter. We have this play for the INTWO you have a third down look because they did this. So a lot of that. I mean that chess in fucking fighting.
Speaker 3: And that's the fun part about it is playing chess out there and there's there's so many ways to wear and lose an mma. Yeah that I can you know what I'm saying. That's what a lot of styles made fights a lot of times. You know, guys, this guy's an easy fight. Easier to fight for this guy, but not not so easy for that guys.
Speaker 1: It's different matchups.
Speaker 5: Matchups, baby, Okay, So Chuck Ladell, now you obviously know this. This is for our audience back at home. Chuck Leadell, also known as the Iceman, Fighting out of Saint Louis Obispo in California, Chuck was a D one wrestler at cal paly Go Mustangs. It was an amateur kickboxing champion known for his sprawl and brawl fighting style. He excelled with great takedown defense, and heavy hands. Chuck made his UFC debut in nineteen ninety eight in Mobile, Alabama. In two thousand and five, when we're talking about at this point of your career, you had a record of fourteen to three.
Speaker 1: On the height. When'd you realize you had that over that overham punch? When'd you know it was gonna connect in this one in this fight?
Speaker 2: And that was that was the thing. He will pruss you and come home.
Speaker 3: And I was I worked on pivoting off, encountering with that right hand. Pavoting you pivot off and get him, but he's coming still coming forward and catch him saying that way dropped him so great.
Speaker 1: And then you went in. See the crazy thing is you guys, when they drop and hit the ground, then you guys go in the straight fucking hammer.
Speaker 3: You gotta finish hm because some guys, you know, you don't know, you don't know, some guys can survive down there, and if you don't, if you don't, and you have to make the rough stop because otherwise, if you jump right on top of him, the ref's gotta stop it.
Speaker 2: If you don't, the ref can wait and see how he reacts. Like you go. You can hold on.
Speaker 3: But if you guys up there, if you're up there, hit him, he's got to pull you off. If you're not, you wait a minute to call the fight. Well you go wait. Let me see his Randy okay? Is Randy okay?
Speaker 1: So now bell rings fight starts. What what's going through your head in this fight?
Speaker 3: I think we'll just keep moving on to speak, keep circle, keep circle, just keep keep your feet moving. So I just I just I just come in and see how I was gonna engage, see how I was.
Speaker 2: Gonna come at me. I just I'm not throwing a few punches at.
Speaker 3: Him, you know, just get it, get in to come in because I know he's want he wants to close this, and he's like he didn't want to stand outside on me. I didn't want to stand out, you know, sit down there and let me pick you apart.
Speaker 2: You know. Uh, he's gonna have to come in.
Speaker 1: Now. When when did this iceman persona come come from?
Speaker 2: Well that was just John.
Speaker 3: John called like nicknames everybody, I think, but uh, he started calling me the iceman because I said he didn't get nervous before fights.
Speaker 2: He had like like two hundred amateur fights.
Speaker 3: And like sixty SEI pro fights and he got nervous for every single one of them.
Speaker 2: And I think it was We're in.
Speaker 3: Bakersfield fighting at the strong Board Arena, and there he was. I was gonna fight at like nine o'clock, nine thirty ten go on the night, so he's gonna come take my hands at eight, and but we'd been there since we got that as dads get there at like five thirty. So I'm in the back sitting around doing nothing, and and he goes looking for me, and he can't find me, and things I maybe I took off, like I said, app guys freak out and take off whatever.
Speaker 2: I thought.
Speaker 3: He's looking around, looking around, and finally he finds me. And I'm sleeping on a on a type at and we had on a type at, just sleeping in the corner. Yeah, And I was just killing time. We had We had no guy we did. The other guy we had another guy had already fought, and I was just kind of relaxing, and so he just couldn't play. I have trouble sleeping the night before I fight, but just sleeping like a couple hours before you fight and start.
Speaker 2: You're just an iceman. So you just started calling me the iceman.
Speaker 1: Hell, yeah, you know, I used to add before a game. Yeah, you get because sometimes you get too jacked up before a shit like you wear out mentally like it's gonna be a long battle in the battle, like let's let's let me go in calm, let me go in calm or fresh like that.
Speaker 3: That's the thing I like worried about it at the I was just to tell people, how you so calm before you fight? Is it?
Speaker 2: Because I know it's not gonna do me any good.
Speaker 3: I've already we've already done the game plan, We've already got We've already trained, training, training, and a camp was last week.
Speaker 2: It's over.
Speaker 3: We can't do anymore worry about. It's not gonna do any good. So just go out and perform. If you just go out and perform, you're gonna do a lot better than you will if you go out worry, if you and if you spend all night worried about it, I matter what funny funnies are, Like my buddy came. My buddy is a friends of both, was me and Tino before he fought the first time he went down to see Tito and his Tito was in his room and they were all in the in the front room talking talking strategy and what are you gonna do tomorrow and all this stuff. He said, he came up and knocks on Hydraic and he comes in and he walks in, and I got two girls in my bed, and and he's like and he looked, and he's like, I knew who was gonna win right there. So you were just completely relaxed. I didn't care. I'm like, it's just it just was just its just that this is being calm, you know. I was like, I don't it doesn't it does. It does me no good to worry about it, So why do it?
Speaker 1: It doesn't know good to worry, So why worry?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I was always a good test taker. I always did well. If I want to outshot what I should probably should have done on the tests. I I really you said, I'm studying, study, study until you close the book as soon as they start to test. I'm I'm relaxed. I just go and do I do my answers. Hey, do what I can do. That's all I can do. There's no more worrying about It's not can do anything. Yeah, don't worry about what you can't You know what I'm people say it all the time. Don't worry about it what you can't the things you can't change, effect can't control.
Speaker 1: I need a little chuck in my head sometimes I need a little chuck in my head. Can we get it? Put a put a ball on this on the on the fight and walk us through the fight. Kai guy, so first before we.
Speaker 5: We got you to lead up. That's very important for this match. The lead up to UFC fifty two is a rematch from two years in the making. A Katur won the Internment Championship we mentioned before in their first meeting in a third round TKO. Since that fight, Randy was two and one, notably beating t RTIs to unify the belt and then beating Vidor belfort I probably butchered that to reclaim the belt, and then Chuck went three and one, also beat t do Ortiz and also competed in the Pride Grand pre tournament representing the UFC, and this led up to UFC fifty two. But also a part of USC fifty two is the Ultimate Fighter Season one, so ULTI Fire Season one is where Chuck and Randy were coaches.
Speaker 2: It was a won both way classes.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: With the UFC struggling to stay afloat, Dana White pitched the idea of an MMA reality show to the newly created Spy TV. Sixteen fighters across two way classes middleweight and heavyweight, two teams led by coach Laddell and coach katre On. The winner receive a six figure fight contract with the UFC. Then A, White credits the finale fight between Forrest Griffin and Stefan Bonner with saving the UFC.
Speaker 3: Oh it was great that, you know it was it was our first free fight on TV, right, and they have that amazing fight that had both like I had all elements of MMA in it. I mean, you couldn't ask for a better fight. They had Gotti Ward type fight. Maybe not the two best guys out there right now at the time, but but such a great show, put such a great matchup, put a great show. You know, they had both had successful careers after that. You know, forced man, it's for tough yeah, good good fighters.
Speaker 2: Is great.
Speaker 1: Now, when you did this show, did you notice that every little kid everywhere was starting to do your mohawk? And what inspired this mohawk? No, I didn't notice that because I remember kids trying to be Chuck Liddell with the mohawk. I think I had one. I had one too in this year.
Speaker 3: So I agree up my whole life with shape the shaved that like short growing up.
Speaker 2: Tell about my eighth grade.
Speaker 3: And in eighth grade I had a teacher, A subject teacher asked me after class, like, hey, so, what what's it like being a skinhead. I'm like, so as people a skin of culture, like I'm I'm I'm what, I'm not a skinny. I don't know what's talking about, you know, And I'm like, I don't even know the skin Well, yeah, and so I told my grandma that and I said, I was laughing, tell us story of my grandma and my grandpa, And Okay, we're gonna let you grow your hair out a little bit. My grammar said, people don't mistake you for a skinhead, because that was a big thing issue with that back then. And uh, I'm like, okay, So I got to grow my hair out. So now we're in college and I think it was ninety two and my my buddies are going this Layer concert we're all going to that was gonna shave their heads. I said, Nah, not gonna happen. I did that for way too long. Not gonna happen. You gotta do something. Come on, well, I'm wut a mohawk. I'll do a maw So I did a mohawk, and I actually went up to the we worked there. I was working security and fair. After that, really, I noticed that everybody there wrecking azed, like all the people that worked there would recognize me. When I was off, I get free food and stuff, and so people recognized it, and so I just kind of kept it and I started kickboxing and I was fighting, and I actually went to one of my fights and stromore Arena back early fights with it with the hair going out, because I got an altercation at at a club I were at I was working.
Speaker 2: And then we had they wanted me to grow my hair out for the court case. Yeah I won. I was an idiot, Yeah, I was just you know it. It was stupid. But anyway, so I won that and then we went out. But I went I the week before that, I had to fight. I fought and they so I had my hair going out. I didn't fight.
Speaker 3: The promoter got mad at me, So don't man, don't ever do that to me again. Man, you gotta you gotta way your mohawk, because I have people complaining that you never showed up. Now, I knocked the guy out in the second round that night, but they didn't know it was me. Nobody knows there's no hawk. I was on the I was on the poster, but they didn't know I was there. They they thought I didn't show up. So was the mohawk. I was on poster, it wasn't on postering. And I was like, don't do that to me again. People recognized me for that. So so later on when I fought in the UFC like that, and actually Peretti, the promoter back then, told me, I was, oh, that's played out.
Speaker 2: Get rid of that mohawk. I was, I'm good, but uh so.
Speaker 3: But it was actually a good thing for people to recognize me and knows me, especially back in the day when I first started getting fit a little bit a little bit of fame. People you'd see him going after you see it was a bargle like this, try to look around my head and see if I have that tattoo? Got him?
Speaker 2: Yea gonna he's got the tattoo.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the tattoo.
Speaker 3: It's from my room lit karate style and so what we were in our blackbots when we get our black belt, we were on our gee when we get.
Speaker 2: Our backpots to Conji.
Speaker 1: What does it mean?
Speaker 3: Uh, roughly base peace and prosperity a place, a piece of prosperity, or house or temple a piece of prosperity.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Kind of the idea was you studyed martial arts to be for internal peace and prosperity.
Speaker 1: Before we go into grating this game, I want to ask, what was it like doing The Ultimate Fighter with having like cameras everywhere like that? That was like reality TV time and you guys are getting thrown into that. What was that whole experience? Like?
Speaker 2: It was interesting, the whole thing.
Speaker 3: The nice part of that was, like I got we were just there when we were on set.
Speaker 2: They didn't have the coaches, weren't living in the house. Yeah, I mean, but it was a learning curve for everybody. You know, they came in.
Speaker 3: Not quite understanding stuff, you know, some things, and we got we got a few arguments and a couple arguments with them over stuff. And I think I I think they joked about about of the second season I did. They said I still held the record for most rules broken in the season.
Speaker 2: But I mean, but a lot of it came down, and we we had a lot of arguments over.
Speaker 3: Of them there them trying to be reality people and do what they do and and me being a coach and doing what I do because my thing was like we got so A good example was so one of the one of the one of the they were Kenny Flooran was gonna fight one of the Night's one of the shows that we were filming. This is not gonna be aired for a couple of months right until later, and and they you know, And so the guy that tape wraps his hands that they hired shot up late. He wasn't there yet, and they wouldn't let me tape his hands because they said, I don't know why I could. I can tape normally, but they wanted their guy to do it. Okay whatever, So he get his hands taped. This guy comes in this runner because he goes, hey, he needs me out there in five minutes. I'm all, hey, man, we need about twenty minutes and warm up. We're gonna we need about twenty minutes and warm up. He needs to be out there right fucking now. Who the fuck you think you're talking to? And guy ran out of room. She runs out and got got the person in charge and she comes in and she came in and she starts yelling at me. I'm ahead, look here, you whired me to be these kids coach. I'm gonna treat him like the one of mine. This guy's not fighting, tell he's good guy until I say he's damn ready, or.
Speaker 2: You can ask them who.
Speaker 3: They want to fire me or you your choice, good luck. No, she and they gave me the.
Speaker 1: Time, right, but this guy's about to go out fight for his fucking life, like not even that, but like for his career.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, he's not ready, and this isn't this is the time, we know, and it's your not to mention.
Speaker 2: It's your we're late being warmed up, not ours. So I don't even want to hear it.
Speaker 3: That being said, we talked after and you know, like it's like, look, I understand you guys are trying to make a show, but they I mean, they they wanted. It was sixty straight days that time at that time, with fights in the middle of it.
Speaker 2: Jesus and they wanted us to do.
Speaker 3: They want us to do too hard workouts a day every day for sixty days. I want guys, nobody can do that because they gonna happen.
Speaker 2: We have to. I will get them doing something. We can do something.
Speaker 1: But like you then, and.
Speaker 3: You got these and you know, we had these challenges too. They were all physical and the other thing. I'm going, dude, guys like I'm gonna, I will. We can do something, but you gotta be we got a kind of they're humans. And then you asked me to be their coach.
Speaker 2: I'll be.
Speaker 3: I get it. We hired you guys to make a reality show. I will do what you ask within reason.
Speaker 1: Everyone's just trying to do their job. They don't understand being an athlete. The athlete doesn't understand, and we're trying to put a show on and that's just all this bullshit. But it turned out to be a fucking great thing. Oh yeah, because because of this show. Its sling shotted. This is one of the I'm telling you, this show is pretty much the template for like six other sports and how they've gotten famous. Now drive or survive they're trying to do with tennis. They're trying to do with golf. It's all because of The Ultimate Fighter.
Speaker 5: How was the show pitched to you? Like, how did they how did they all come together?
Speaker 3: David's we do the show, it's gonna end up in a fight. Uh, and you get a title shot the week after perfect and You're like, let's titles that, right, let's go, And that was argument.
Speaker 4: We went back and forth they at the time we had I think I had two fights left, so I would have fought once and then we could we usually would with the contract at that and he won that to fight at the end of the deal because I was gonna fight again before that show, and I won that fight, then then find the show and he wanted two extra fights at the end of the deal at whatever that was.
Speaker 3: But my manager actually quit over it. Jesus were argued, I mean I still paid him on the two fights.
Speaker 2: We had laps.
Speaker 1: Actually it worked out. He got to say that he represented you and you got to do what you just did. So it was it was fun. So everyone friends.
Speaker 5: So to wrap up The Ultimate Fighter, Your Fighter, Force Griffin won in a war of a fight against Stephan Bonner. Force Griffin won the UFC contract, but Dana White was so impressed with the other fighter that he also awarded the other fighter a UFC contracted. Well, I wasn't aware the UFC gave up participation trophies, but here we go.
Speaker 1: Stop.
Speaker 5: And then a week after, as you mentioned, the season one finale, at the Ultimate Fighter, it was time for the coaches to fight.
Speaker 1: And you guys go in, you fight, You knock his house out in the first round.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And it was awesome.
Speaker 3: It was that was And that's that's as excited as I ever get, because you know, you you put all that time in and then you do it, do it exactly how you want to do it.
Speaker 2: That's not even knock out. You know, that's how what if I don't?
Speaker 3: And you know I always say the other thing if you if you want to pick, like the second favorite fighter is the second one, because it proved that this one wasn't a floke.
Speaker 1: Once once his luck twice his skill three is a pro. So my dad used to say he was once his luck kid twice his skill three's are pro. Walk us through beat for beat what it's like winning the UFC Championship.
Speaker 3: It's hard to say beat for beat. I mean, I just out there. You go out and do your thing. And then I mean I was fired up. If you could tell, if you couldn't tell after watching me after the fight, it was not pretty fired up?
Speaker 1: Was your grandpa round still?
Speaker 2: No, I was.
Speaker 3: That was That was a hard one for me. I always say the one thing, you know, one thing you never got to see was me fight in the UC.
Speaker 1: You never got to see a champ.
Speaker 2: Never never gonna see me fight. He had watch a fight.
Speaker 3: Kickbox from once knocked the kid out in the second round.
Speaker 1: But you know, but he watched. He got to watch. Man. That's that's it.
Speaker 3: But it's and you know, without him, I wouldn't have been out there. And my mom, I mean my mom the same way.
Speaker 2: She's just both of them tough as nails.
Speaker 3: Both of them raised me tough, and they raised you like, oh the hard work, that work, ethic, you know, you know, I think a lot of it. I was just saying I was never the best athlete in the room. But no, I wouldn't let anybody out work me. I put in my time, put in my work. I did everything I need to do. I got prepared, you know, and and just let let him fly, let him fly. We'll be right back after this quick break. Let's score the game. This is a segment where we score the game.
Speaker 1: We name the game. These are some names that we came up with. If you have a name, you could throw it out there. We were gonna go Ladell versus Couture two Chapter two, The Naturals Disaster, the Iceman Cometh, Iceman's revenge. Revenge is best served cold, the fight that saved the UFC. Or is there something else?
Speaker 2: You know? I think the natural Disaster.
Speaker 1: Let's go the Naturals Disaster.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, but now that all of those are pretty good.
Speaker 1: Actually, which one do you? Which one do you want to pick?
Speaker 2: I mean, if I was gonna do want, i'd be the Iceman Cometh.
Speaker 1: I guess Let's do it. Love it, the Iceman Cometh, the Iceman Cometh. Score the game. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score it. Chuck steaks zero to ten decimals? Okay, the stakes of this specific UFC fifty two fight the Steaks, all right? What was that steak for me?
Speaker 3: Like? That was I mean my chance to the shot shot at a title.
Speaker 2: I don't think I would have got another shot after.
Speaker 1: That you gotta great it one to ten decimals. Okay, takes ten, that is a fight. I'm gonna say it's a nine point five. This is not just bearing Chuck Liddell's freaking career. This was bearing like the UFC in general, Like, this is the splash you have, like the Ultimate Challenger UFC Challenger Show, and.
Speaker 3: I don't think it could have been any better for me, Like coming off of the Bonner Forest fight. Yeah, you know, the next week pay per view, the biggest paper view by by far we've had since they bought it. Yeah, lots of sh and then to have that explosive of finish when the dominant performance.
Speaker 2: You could couldn't asked for a better I mean, I think.
Speaker 5: Jack got a eight point three at a eight point nine.
Speaker 1: Let's go start power. You gotta grade the star power of this fight, you, Randy Couture. I think I saw Cindy Crawfer in the crowd.
Speaker 5: Some celebrities in the crowd, Kevin James.
Speaker 1: Kevin James was in there, Pam Anderson, Pam Anderson's in there.
Speaker 5: Jack, Cindy Crawford, Michael everyone was there. Vanilla.
Speaker 1: You got to grade the star power of this vice.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you a funny story about the Vanilla please.
Speaker 3: My buddy took a picture was fight fight, and there's when I knocked out Randy.
Speaker 2: I first hit him. There's a picture.
Speaker 3: The whole celebrity rote with everybody in that row like this except for Vanilla Ice who was doing this.
Speaker 2: So you know who your true fans are?
Speaker 5: Hey, Vanilla Ice, Ice man, that's obviously man.
Speaker 2: I was like man, he was out of his chair.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 5: Are you telled you with ice cuban iced tea as well?
Speaker 1: All Ice sticks together? Well on Swartzenegger Ice Man, he is. We got to grade the star power Zer were to ten for that for the time.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know. I got nine five and I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. I'm gonna go eight nine. That's a that's a big ass crowd.
Speaker 5: Jacket of nine point two out of eight point five.
Speaker 1: The game player of the fight. So how the fight actually went? You gotta you have to grade the fight. It's a ten for me, that's a ten for Chuck.
Speaker 2: I mean I went the.
Speaker 3: Way I expected it, and that we hit him with that that was the punch we wanted to knock him out with it, and we wanted him to just come and walk in and catch him so and I got him with it.
Speaker 1: I mean, anytime there's a fucking knockout, that's the best way to win. I'm gonna go with a nine.
Speaker 5: Duels with the nine jack with a six point two to five foot one, and I'll explain because your side was perfect, perfect five and then less so on his side. So that's that's my my how.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know score and you're a perfect for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure as hell did.
Speaker 1: And now lastly, we score the name of the game. The name of the game. The Iceman's cometh, Cometh cometh, the Iceman's cometh.
Speaker 5: The iceman cometh, his coming, the iceman cometh.
Speaker 2: How do you get a little different?
Speaker 1: But we are grading.
Speaker 2: I guess it depends on how you say.
Speaker 4: I like the way he said it.
Speaker 1: That a big reader. Chuck that a big reader. We got to score it.
Speaker 5: It's also the cultural impact of this match too, in the landscape of UFC and all sports.
Speaker 1: To the score of the name.
Speaker 2: Depends on how you saying.
Speaker 3: I guess, wait, your version of your version ten?
Speaker 2: I would like I don't know, it's eight.
Speaker 1: Eight, Jules, I'm gonna go with that eight to one eight one.
Speaker 5: Jack had a seven point zero at a six point eight, Where does that go? It's an eight point three one? Or is it?
Speaker 1: Line up? In all our games and fights?
Speaker 5: That puts us just behind the Shrug Game, the nineteen ninety two NBA Finals Game one Blazers versus Bulls, the Jordan Shrug Game, and just ahead of Game six of the twenty twenty NBA Finals Lakers versus Heat, which is at eight point one seven. We just did with Genie Buss. So that makes it the new twenty seventh.
Speaker 1: Not bad? Fuck yeah, twenty seventh on the whole thing.
Speaker 5: The only where's are of the UFC fight we did Kabb and McGregor.
Speaker 1: Where is that right there? It's thirty three thirty three?
Speaker 2: Did you guys?
Speaker 3: Have you done the the Giants Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We did that that the Giant Super Bowl. One Giant loss.
Speaker 5: Is we're a little bias here is a little bit little bias.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know, I don't even hate this, but that eighteen and one chant on the way out of the stadium was pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: I wasn't a Patriot yet. I wasn't a Patriot. I was still in high school. Chat.
Speaker 2: I know, but you look it back.
Speaker 1: Look I was.
Speaker 2: I was at that game. So walking out, the New York fans chanted eighteen and one all the way out.
Speaker 3: Man, they were chanting eighteen and one, eighteen and one.
Speaker 1: After the game, I mean, they're New Yorkers.
Speaker 5: Who are you rooting for?
Speaker 2: Oh? I was from the Stray.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, he's a good dude who straight and yeah, co worker, give you, I'll give you stray. I'll let you have Stray.
Speaker 2: If he wasn't in actually used to give me tickets for the Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: I wanted to go to h and like, like I usually give them up, like if if it wasn't it was Green bayy Maker or it wasn't wasn't a team I wanted to see, but I would.
Speaker 2: I went to that one because they have.
Speaker 1: I mean then this was this was all that was a legendary Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm still mad.
Speaker 3: I'm still mad about that going for sixteen to er because we we had to fight the same night. Yeah, they had a free they had that free It.
Speaker 2: Crying costs us a lot of cos cost me some money on paper field.
Speaker 1: So then you won. You won. After this game, it.
Speaker 3: Was on every channel free because they're going for sixteen as a sixty old season.
Speaker 5: And Randy moss broke the record. Tom and Randy moss Brook.
Speaker 1: Broke the record against the Giants.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep, we did that game too. We did the game of the same day.
Speaker 1: You lose your casual fans without a doubt.
Speaker 3: Because the casual fans like, wow, I want to watch this, Well I have a choice. I had to pay for something to watch this and watch us for free everywhere.
Speaker 1: And football is a machine in this country. Yeah, I mean that's a fucking it's a jugger or not. Don't ask basketball about Christmas Day. The NFL just put a game on Christmas and and that used to be like NBA's day. And it shattered, it shattered him. You know, there's no there's there's no uh, there's what is it? There's no love or something in war.
Speaker 5: No lost and love, no love lost and love and war all fair and love and all's fair and love.
Speaker 1: All that's fair and loving. Fucking Chuck Leedonos obviously not word guys here, Chuck, do we miss anything with this fight?
Speaker 2: I don't know not really it was.
Speaker 1: I have one last question, okay, this whole thing. I'm sitting here and I was watching a lot of like the stories behind this fight and the UFC, and they kept on pitching like, yeah, you basically get to see a sumos like who would win in a fight, Mike Tyson or Bruce Lee? You know what I mean, the real person who they should be saying. Really, I want to ask you, is it Chuck Norris? Isn't Chuck Norris supposed to be like one of the baddest motherfuckers and like life when it came to it.
Speaker 2: Chuck Doris, Yeah, no, it was.
Speaker 1: It was the you're kick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a Carl Karwning guy.
Speaker 3: It's probably you know, he's on the movies and stuff, and Chuck's a great dude. Like I Actually, funny thing is I didn have a happy birthday thing for him. Yeah, I've been asked me to do a video and I'm looking at him like, wait, let me see. I've been a fan as I love. I've been a fantas let me look that up forty years Oh no, that old, Like I've been a fan of for four I've been watching movies for forty Years's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: He's still around.
Speaker 3: As they asked me to do something with his uh his dog food and brands like it's cool.
Speaker 2: Like he's a good dude.
Speaker 1: We I think Chuck Norris should do something for Chuck Liddell's food. That's I'm trying to make a Chuck Chuck Norris joke. But I'm not that smart. You did so I had nothing. Everyone's got to go check out Chuck Liddell on social media, all of the platforms. King of violence, clothing.
Speaker 5: You're wearing a shirt right now.
Speaker 1: Wearing his shirt right now.
Speaker 5: Look at this.
Speaker 1: You see badass. You guys got a little anime look to it. Oh my, I like anything else to plug Chuck.
Speaker 2: Oh you know not right now. We've got some other stuff coming up.
Speaker 1: But wait, wait, dude, I appreciate you coming into the house so much. Man, thank you man. That was an awesome episode, Chuck. I didn't realize he was karate wrestling, kickboxing kickboxing. It's cool to get all that straightened out.
Speaker 5: The wrestler talk is always cool. Yeah, yeah, I was. We were looking. We couldn't get it completely confirmed. You talked about Steven Neil, who was at cal State Bakerfield win a national championship, beat brock Lessener in the finals. Te Doo or Teas might have been teammates with him. Teeto or Teas wrestled cal State Bakersfield around you wanted.
Speaker 1: To get there, Okay, I mean he's still Chuck Ladell. You don't want to piss him off. All right.
Speaker 5: We had a nice little hang with him afterwards.
Speaker 1: We had a great hand with him. But still all kinds of stories told us then too.
Speaker 5: He is a legend being a top dog athlete in like two thousand and six, two thousand and seven, like pre social media, pre like cameras. Really you could get away with some stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then also how about like his kids playing against parents that like are trying to rowle up Chuck Liddell. Okay, read a room, Read a fucking room.
Speaker 5: Imagine being twelve years old and Chuck Ladell is heckling you.
Speaker 1: No, but not even that, it's the parents. Like everywhere I've been I go to these soccer games. Okay, you sit and you see the other parents and stuff, and don't for a second tell me you didn't see Chuck Liddell don't for a second. Can tell me you didn't see Chuck Liddell. You could see him from a mile away, to see that mohawk, yep, and his fanny pack and the way he stands and ship that's you know, he's probably out in the corner back over there in the fucking soccer field or the basketball gym where he's just sitting there. He's got something in his fanny pack. He's getting there and he's got his fuck. Kind of reminded me of my dad. But you're not gonna fuck with Chuck Leadell. So parents, read the room.
Speaker 5: The chill Zone Ready.
Speaker 1: It's time for the chill Zone, brought to you by our favorite beer, cores Light. Get cores Light delivered straight to your door. Corslight dot com slash gw N celebrate responsibly.
Speaker 5: Can you toss me one?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: No, let's see.
Speaker 1: Let's see here, Oh soft hands Kyler, h ugly finder, need new computer? Computer is done?
Speaker 5: I need anyway? All right, We're just start with some voicemails.
Speaker 1: Oka, do some voicemails.
Speaker 8: Hey, what's up? Games with Names? This is Robert from Hollis for California. I listened to the show every commute I have.
Speaker 3: I work in the Bay.
Speaker 8: Area from Hayward. You know, I work for Pepsi and uh you guys always you know, keep me entertained on my commutes. I listen to you guys on the road. I watched your guests of YouTube videos. My question for Julian, I'm always in the Redwood City area working. What do you recommend I go to week I like Mexican food, I like the Americans, So if you can recommend something for me, I really appreciate it. If you guys roll you just keep it up.
Speaker 1: Thank you. What's up? Robert from Hollister. I know Hollister very well, used to play them Pop Warner and then also it's up Rocky. It's right by Gilroy and that's where you used to take your dirt bikes Hollister. It's like it's like a it's a commute. It's a commute, especial with that traffic. So we appreciate you listening to our show during that commute. Mexican food and Redwood City easy. If you want a burrito, I'm a Chavez meat market guy. Uh not the one off Fifth Avenue? What is the other? The one right by uh Off of Whipple. There's a perpendicular street. Don't go to the fifth Avenue. Fifth Avenue One's fine, it does, it's justice, but it's not the original Chavez meat Market. Uh. Dad's been going there since he was like eight. We've been going to that place forever. They used to have a place called Liz Teca. And this this lady who's down it. She was kind of a pretty lady. I remember as a kid, and she like knew my dad because my dad's been going to these Mexican restaurants since he was like fucking kid, and so I remember they don't have last Teca. But if you want some street tacos lgs el gren Taco eltent, Taco Grenze. Damn, I can't roll my r with my dip in right now. So yeah, chaves me Margaret, Tacos lgs, Taco Grenze. There's like four of them. Uh those are my spots.
Speaker 5: What are you ordering there?
Speaker 1: I always just get a super burrito at Chavez.
Speaker 5: So what's that? Guaka sour cream? No guac?
Speaker 1: I don't like quaking my my burrito. I like, I like my burritos sour creamy, Okay, So I go. They they throw in a uh a pinto bean rice, pico de gayo, salsa kiso. I usually go with the cardne sado or uh and then they put like a pico de guayo in there with crema casso. Yeah, it's pretty good. It's like my favorite. I like that, and it's got like the runny sour cream. Runny sour cream for Mexican food, can't be having like some fucking what is it a dolls or whatever, like squeezing some sour cream that you should be putting.
Speaker 5: Now, are you ever like for me for burritos, I'm a big like burrito and sauce on top of every bike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta get the sauce of very day and you put it every bite, Yeah, every bite and then tacos LG's I just go. They also have kind of sneaky good case ideas where they they make the case of d and then they cut it up and they put lettuce, sour cream and the salsa. It's it's a fucking messy case on top of it, so you have to use four king knife where you're going hands. Yeah, me and my boy dro used to snag those all the time.
Speaker 5: Is it a type of place that's cutting up. But you know, like the spackle spatulas. Yeah, they're cutting up with that.
Speaker 1: Oh no, they're just cutting they so they'll grab the This is how they do. They grab the piece of the meat. And they used to be able to eyeball it. Now they've gotten a little too capitalistic now for my liking. Where they're measuring ship out. Then I understand where you're going. But you know, they used to eyeball it and then they fucking cut it right there out with the like the butcher knife. Yeah, and they and they get it and they put it on your burrito and they roll it nice and tight. They used to steam the tortilla and now they've changed it or yeah, now they have like a presser. Okay, but uh, I'm a Chavez meat market. LG's for tacos.
Speaker 5: Did you take us? I think you took us there when we were there years ago.
Speaker 1: It was it good?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember being really good. You like it's kind of like in the like kind of like a convenience store type vibe.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's old's a Mexican market, so good great, and they also have really good So that's what we'll do is We'll buy a bunch of their meat there because it's a meat market and you could buy and you can make your own tacos. So like if I do tacos, I'll buy their meat. They season it and they got like the flank steak, like the very thin yeah, and then you cut, you put that on there and bang you get the sides within. All their sauces and stuff like we always do that. We cater with them a bunch. I love Chavez Meat Market. Shit, I make it a burrito time. I know they don't have. It's different. Those different a mission style burrito.
Speaker 5: The tortillas are different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're mission style like out here. They don't put they don't put rice and beans in there.
Speaker 5: My spot does. Which is it? It's I don't want to blow it up. But on Vine and Melrose in the Pavilions parking lot. Oh and what they do?
Speaker 1: Wait? Wait is it?
Speaker 5: Wait? I took you that place?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you keep on. Those are all the same. Those are all the stirrup palette because there's no well, I'm just telling you, like I've been to the one right down the road.
Speaker 5: Mind's better than yours. Ones. I agree with that. Mine's better than yours. That Yeah, we're on the west side, west.
Speaker 1: Side, but there's the Brothers one on the west side that was okay, it's that, But when I go to those ones, so what we're what we're talking about in like uh, parking lots or on the side of streets in La you'll have people at five o'clock that they just bring their freaking flat top and they make their own tacos and burritos and ship only one complaint for me, But I I solve the complaint. I bring my own crema. So I'll bring sour cream because you'll you'll order your thing and then you put your own ship on and then they roll it for you. So I'll put my ship in. I'll get my sour cream out of my pocket and I'll pour it on there. And my dude always looks at me, he goes, that's smart.
Speaker 5: So you bring sour cream and then you put it in when they put it in. See, I put the sour cream on top when I'm not.
Speaker 1: It's gotta I like the juices to formulate in the burrito with the sour cream. Then it becomes a creamy juice.
Speaker 5: I might have to steal that move Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's it's a spectacular move like it makes those it makes. It's just it's so much work for me to do that. I only do it like once a month because like I gotta plant it out because I get I get sticked out with like if the sour cream gets too warm, you know what I mean. So, but those are those are those are the those are the best around here for those.
Speaker 5: But it's a different style because like the Mission style burritos, it's a little bit tighter. The tortilla is a little bit different. You're gonna have sour cream, right.
Speaker 1: They usually have a pico too. In nor Cow like a lot of times they'll just put cilantro onion. Here. I had a little tomato in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree, little lime juice in there. The place that I go to when you get a burrito, you can ask with con Queso. They throw the cheese down on the grid.
Speaker 1: And they then they put on this tortilla on top. And yeah, I've been them.
Speaker 7: How long is you been a Boston fan?
Speaker 5: And did you hate any Boston players teams growing up?
Speaker 7: Thanks to have a nice day.
Speaker 1: What's up, buddy, I've been a Boston fan. I became a Boston fan. Right when I got drafted two thousand and nine, I went out and bought me a Celtics hat. I went out and got me a Red Sox hat. I've always I've never like on the West Coast. You really didn't know about Boston all that much. I knew they were the sexy team with Kurt Shilling and those guys, and like you all liked Big Poppy, but they were kind of like they were the likable team to a West Coaster compared to the Yankees, underdog to the Yanks. I hated Yankees growing up. Yeah, sick hat, love the hat, love the Unis, but I could never wear a Yankees cap, like even as a kid, Just like I don't like the Dodgers. You know, I'm a Bay Area kid. I don't. I hate the La Dodgers hat. Such a sick hat, but I can't wear it. You know, I'm a SF fan. But uh, I would say two thousand and nine because when I got there, the Celtics just won the championship in two thousand and eight, Big Three, and then I was in. I got to go to the playoffs when they were playing against the Lakers as a rookie and I started going. That was like the first basketball games I really went to, and the Bruins were doing good and I became friends with a bunch of the Bruins, So I think, I think right when I got there, I like took on the Boston thing. I was like, man, I fucking love this place, pro city towns kind of like my Bay Area, and like it didn't have any refute, Like it didn't refute with San Francisco.
Speaker 5: I understand, you know what I mean. It's a nice, clean, different car conference or a different side of the country. It's not offensive, there's no rivalries. I totally understand.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't like the Lakers or Yankees where you just hated both of them because those are the great you know what I mean, even though the Boston teams were the greats too, but it's a different They've always been like an underdog looking team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I understand. I just bought an La King's shirt yesterday just because like there is no friction between them and the Penguins, and then it's sick things. So it's like I understand the cross country, the cross conference.
Speaker 1: Ever since that La skate, I felt a little more part of this community. Yeah, and like I've looked at the Kings games now a little.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we should go to they're probably in the playoffs. We should go to a playoff game. We should that'd be sick. Was just in town, So was there any we have last night? Were there any players Boston players you hated?
Speaker 1: I didn't hate any of them. I liked Garcia Papara, I liked everyone said there, what is his name? No more Garcia Para, Yeah, no more Garcia Para. I I just remember watching Ship like like the batting gloves.
Speaker 5: Cooked with the fucking shot clock now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just just cooked. And I loved Poppy. I mean Poppy was like I just remember in high school seeing this guy swearing at the mic after they just won a World Series and beat the Yankees. I was like, this guy is fucking badass.
Speaker 5: Now were there so well? You must have had eyes on Tom Brady being a Bay kid playing.
Speaker 1: So I liked. I liked so I actually even more. Yeah, you're you're refreshing me. So Tom was from my area, so I always I liked the pain. I had no clue that they were part of Boston though, I didn't know where New England was before I got there, so I got I didn't just like zero clue or he just knew it was generally fucking you know, like the pregame of Madden. I would play with the Patriots after like Tom won a Super Bowl and like oh one or something, and I'm like, where the fuck is this place. It's like in a forest, like there's no city, you know what I mean. I didn't really know what New England was like that. And then you know, just I always rooted for Tom because he was from the like right where I grew up, and he was kind of the underdog, like the whole Michigan story. He had to play for his job, like that was all kind of known in the Bay.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then also like Peyton Manning was the guy and everyone was hyping up him up and then Tom came and he was winning. Like I liked that story.
Speaker 5: Well, he he was kind of in that same like Boston Red Sox underdog in the first dynasty, was in that easy to root for a like loo care you know. And then the Bay connections, I'm assuming with just the Bay connection was everything. Good question.
Speaker 1: That was a really good question, you know.
Speaker 7: Man, Yeah, Julian Middleman, It's your boy much mean ween deceived. You see him playing about the games with Main Studio when the goodyear blink, you know, And I've been thinking about coming down there because there was something I gotta teach you. You know, I'm gonna bing you over my knee and take off this World Heavyweight championship, build you and beat you with it like you he should have you. You ain't gonna be able to handle with the macho mans doing for you to like the cream of the crupt. Yes, I'll get your leaders, little boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no question, but pretty good macho?
Speaker 5: Was that just Jack too much Corse light?
Speaker 1: We gotta just we should start picking in a post segment picking. I just want to pick a macho man Randy Savage clip that I find and we just talked about it for two minutes, three minutes.
Speaker 5: Conon O'Briant. When when NBC and Universal merged years ago, when Con O'Brian was doing the Late Show whatever it used to be called, he had a Walker Texas Ranger level lever and every once in a while he just pulled the lever and just be the most random, hilarious Walker Texas Ranger clip. I feel like we could do that for macho man. Yeah, macho man lever I just.
Speaker 1: Saw I think I saw him skiing on the Alps last week. For my algorithm, that's because you were just skiing, skie. I'm about to show this mache this mache mountain. Who right there?
Speaker 5: Awesome? Uh we I'll tell you later. But there's a guest coming on that's doing a very deep cut WWE match coming up because he's a wrestler adjacent he we just got invited to the w the A e W event in Long Beach in a couple of weeks O A e W, m LW.
Speaker 1: Sorry MLW, considering I was only only a ww F guy and I just had to get to WWE anyone who did the WCW. I mean, I loved Goldberg, but he was the only one from WCW, and there was a couple of the other off brand ones. Okay, I'm just telling you. I'm a one brand guym one brand guy. WWF that turned into WWE.
Speaker 5: This my speak to my childhood. But when I think WWF, I do actually think the World Wildlife Federation. Because I had to post a picture. It was a sticker of a panda with WWF and my parents refrigerator. It's hard to believe they won anyway.
Speaker 6: Last voicemail, Hey, Jules, my dad and I have always wondered in Super Bowl forty nine, at right after the Malcolm Butler interception, Michael Bennett jumps off side.
Speaker 3: But what was the play call.
Speaker 5: In the huddle?
Speaker 6: Was it a QB sneak or was it something different?
Speaker 1: Thanks, that's a great question. I think I want to say it was a QB sneak because we needed to gain some rooms, like on like six you couldn't take a knee, so it was a QB sneak. We were actually tripping in the not tripping, but like on high alert, like boys, we need to execute this play. The game's not over. And you know, thankfully Mike jumped off sides and that was a game and then we had melee after melee and then it was fucking ww F out there. So but it was a QB sneak.
Speaker 5: That's something gets lost with that game is that after the interception wasn't just like confetti. There was that like balls on the six inch line. You gotta not have a safety here.
Speaker 1: Gronk and Michael just fucking throwing haymakers and it was kind of at the point where like I bet you at that point it was I'm thinking now, like looking back on it, you can probably get a couple of punches and you wouldn't get suspended.
Speaker 5: Why was Slater on the field.
Speaker 1: He's because he was always in the right tight diamond kill part of the field.
Speaker 5: So that but wasn't that isn't that, Neil, I.
Speaker 1: Think he may have been in it is also he would always be on there just because he would be the safety. Okay, if anything ever were to happen there was a fumbled snap, they somehow got it. He was like our fastest guy that could go get.
Speaker 5: Him, fastest smart on the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we always put Slate on right tight diamond kill. Best playing football the knee, the knee.
Speaker 5: All right, before we wrap up, let's go some of you might know we've been doing YouTube premieres for full length episodes. Jackson there, I'm in there. You've been in there. It's a lot of fun. This is the whole crew of people the mem accounts in their shoutout daland and we encourage you to leave comments that we will communicate and talk about on the show. Well here they are also it's good for the algorithm to comment on the show. So you think you need to help, would be great. So here are some comments that people left in the full length episodes. Do you want me to read them? Do you want to read them?
Speaker 1: Need Danny would head on the show? I agree, or you would be free.
Speaker 5: Right now? Nebraska, he's in Nebraska.
Speaker 1: He's probably golf and he's a great golfer. Danny's an unbelievable golfer, and he's a great dad. He's probably like him and his wife. They're like just a great they're such great Midwest people. They probably at a soccer event right now.
Speaker 5: Is Nebraska Midwest?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Nebraska's Midwest is Heartland different from Midwest? Yeah, I don't know, but I put the Yeah, it's all they're in the same. Yeah, okay, just delightful people.
Speaker 5: He's he's a top person that people recommend to have on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need to. I think he's he has his own shows and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think she just had some stuff before. I would love to have Woody on give me some golfing tips. Yeah, I need a lot of them.
Speaker 1: He's dude. Woody is like scratch. I remember hearing about him when we were playing, and you know, he's got a lot more time on his hand to work on that ship, so he's probably fucking He didn't try to qualify a couple of times. I remember we tweeted for some shit for him.
Speaker 5: He was close. I think in the US Open I have to double check in that, but that was Aiden Lamir twenty one. Thanks for that comment, Drake Ankram.
Speaker 1: Episodes with both mccordy's would be dope. I think that would be amazing.
Speaker 5: Can you tell them apart?
Speaker 1: Yeah, easy, easy, I can easily tell them. I don't know why, but I can.
Speaker 5: When you know twins, it's actually super EASi and own part. It's just when you don't know him that it's hard.
Speaker 1: Jason, like in his eye area, like right here for podcasters that are listening, it's right here. If you look like I see it right in this area. Like the eyes a little different then that. The shape of the head is a little different too, shaved both, yeah, but shaped a little. And the voices are different too. I know the voice too, and the tones are different. The tones are Devin's an asshole tone, Jason's an informational tone.
Speaker 5: What's the difference between do you like an example of an asshole tone.
Speaker 1: I don't know Dev's Dev's they're just they're they're fucking they'd be amazing on the show because there's they're just those are the guys that smoke in front of the team. They could speak in front of people. Yeah, oh I love They're really good to watch too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're great at Bay Shaughnessy five three one for intelligence was key.
Speaker 1: The intelligence was the key to New England's dynasty. All these former pats are intelligent guys.
Speaker 5: Intelligent not reading. There's a fine line between those two.
Speaker 1: Doesn't mean you don't have to be a great reader to be intelligent. Yeah, completely agree, and me too. Yeah, I mean we had we haven't We had some smart guys. Yeah, I mean we had to. We were we were in class all day and like if you didn't do good on your test, you got fired. So guys you had to stick around. Guys had to be able to retain information. There's one you know what I mean. There we had. We had a really good group of guys. There wasn't that many assholes. Weren't many. I don't, I don't. There wasn't any really.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There guys worked hard and that was that was a product of because of our leadership, the guys at the top up the Tom Brady's, no one else thought they could.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, it's not cool when you roll up into the locker room like ten chains and fucking new. No, it's cool is when you roll up and you break down a coverage with the quarterback that you saw in the game, that he saw and create that conversation. That's fucking cool because you know what that turns into. That turns into another chain. Yeah, if he throws you the rock.
Speaker 5: Yeah. One of my favorite things about the show is that generally athletes and football players don't really have the opportunity to have a long form piece of media out there. So it's like you bring all these pages guys front office and players, and there's two three hours where they can talk and you can just talk football and you can really like dive into the intelligence of these guys.
Speaker 1: What's her name? But what's the name?
Speaker 5: Bay Shaughnessy five three?
Speaker 1: One? That's probably directed to Rid. She's like, man, Rid's a lot smarter than I thought he was.
Speaker 5: Why would you say that, Chiels, Why would you?
Speaker 1: I don't know, because he's a running back they probably ridd some funny ass dude. He didn't talk that much and that was his first podcast, so she probably saw the riddly episode. She said, like, man, I didn't think he was that smart, but he's pretty fucking smart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's like, if Rid's that smart, how much? Yeah, we got to do more stuff with rad. He was great. He's got more stories too, He's the best. A couple more here da.
Speaker 1: J Morn, I know, get j Morn saw him es Court Genie in the opening shot. Funny dude and big sports guy. That was what a couple of weeks ago, and we were texting back and forth and I had to travel and we we got to do a pod swap. For sure. He's he's definitely a funny guy.
Speaker 5: I mean he's spent like twenty minutes going through like the Member billion everything roasting.
Speaker 1: He had a story on everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to get him on the show, and we got to do his show. Got Jenie bust before we got Tom Unreal, Yeah, I know, pretty unreal. Does the Bubble Championship really count? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah? All the teams were there, right, you had to beat every team to win?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, last couple here a World's most hated three thousand.
Speaker 1: Congrats on half a MILLI cheers to a half a MILLI more.
Speaker 5: We have five hundred thousand subscribers on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Let's fucking go.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys. That's all you guys.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, World's most hated three thousand. Thanks for fucking see. I would never hate you for bringing that up. Why do you think the name is World's most hated?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I don't have enough life for us to speculate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like him. I like him a lot. He's not hated three thousand.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Buzonette has joined Burr o'she Jackson Junior, Matt Light and Michael Keegan, k as Weagan, Michael Key, Keegan, Michael Kay. Busie has now joined burr Oshae Jackson Junior, Matt Light and Michael Keegan.
Speaker 2: Kay.
Speaker 5: But I think it's it's Jules is reading it right, it's Keegan, Michael Key right, but the comment is flipped, so you're right, but you're wrong. You're right, they're wrong, but you're just you know, it's a I'm Ron Burgundy moment here.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, Key Key, It's Key, It's Keegan Michael Key.
Speaker 5: They have it, Michael Kegan, Key, Michael Key, Keegan, No, it's it's Keegan Michael Key. Go see Transformers one great fuck. Go get an go get a Coney Island dog, isn't it It's funny? Yeah, he was good. This is just a new listener, right, These are like the last couple episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta you gotta go get get up in those weeds. Buhud ye go get the weeds and you'll see some real funny shit too.
Speaker 5: And then the last one. This is our top rad this is our top requested game. Now that we've done a lot of the Patriots Super Bowls, got to do Fight Night at the Joe. Darren McCarty will come on for sure, maybe Patrick wah We actually fun fact, we are talking with Darren McCarty. He wants to come on the show. It's scheduling. I also want to be greedy and get Claude lem you on too, But that'll happen. That's gonna happen, got it.
Speaker 1: We're we're full hockey podcast now.
Speaker 5: Dude, you know who reached out? I don't even know I should say this. You know who reached out? No, Yeah, Gretzky did, the NHL reached out, Oh, representing represent.
Speaker 1: Is Gretzy bigger than the NHL?
Speaker 5: No, no yet, They're like, it's Tom Brady bigger than the NFL the NFL. No, no, right, it's they are Is it Tom or Bill?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: You can't.
Speaker 1: They are joking. It was a joke.
Speaker 5: It's funny. But but the Stanley. But the NHL representing Lord Stanley Cup.
Speaker 1: Lord Stanley Cup might be on this couch here soon.
Speaker 5: I heard, huh, we'll see, we'll see, let's make a cup. But if it doesn't, we'll.
Speaker 1: Say you had fucking we had the basketball. Yeah, what was that one called Larry O'Brien. We've had Larry on Yeah, we're about to have Stanley. You can't even get old anywhere we had.
Speaker 5: This is what the NHL guy said. We had a Larry O'Brien trophy on games with names, But we can have the Stanley Cup on games with names.
Speaker 1: Oh, hockey getting her fingernails pretty dirty there, And that was the chill Zone. Thanks to our favorite beer cores Like It cors Like delivered straight to your door, Basiccoorslight dot Com slash gwn celebrate responsibly folks. What a fight and thanks again to Chuck. That's been another episode of Games with Names. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Common a game you want us to do and remember, rate and review. Leave us a five star review on Spotify while you're there. Remember to follow Games with thmes on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat all the socials. Leave a comment on the YouTube full episode. We just read a few. We like reading them. We'll read some more on future episodes. Leave a message on the old hotline at four two four two two two nine zero. We'll see you guys next week. Games and Names of production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you get your podcasts