Speaker 1: From iHeartRadio and Doghouse Pictures. This is Fight Night. I'm Jeff Keating.
Speaker 2: And I and the co executive producers. I cannot leave. Speaking of executive producer and co executive producer, do you remember the first night you got your executive producer chair?
Speaker 1: Talk to me that that that I got a little vocal with that as well too.
Speaker 2: I really did. Look can I say mine first? Okay? Great? Thanks? I literally Bro came on said, now, mind you, we're a Chicken Man's House, the original house, and you and I had did some picture taking and scouting prior to but later that evening, you're sitting in your chair and I walk up behind you and I see your name on the chair, and I'm not gonna lie. You know how I feel about you. You know, there's no ankst, no whatever as far as anything. And I just got so emotional like for you. I was like, Bro, you got your fucking chair like you were like can't he no? Like too, And they surprised me. How was that?
Speaker 1: I mean again, it was just so you see your name, you see the title, You're on the show. It's got Fight Night on in front of Chicken Man's House front of chicken Man's house. It's a lot man. Let me say, we haven't used this line. Reality has exceeded my dreams. Come on, Reality has exceeded my dreams. Not only is not only is the dream real, but reality has exceeded everything that I imagined, everything that I pictured, all the worlds and things that I thought could develop, everything has exceeded at it's just getting and it's in front of and now I'm sitting and everybody's calling and text me when I send a picture, make sure you take that or steal out and don't let that get away from you.
Speaker 2: And I remember, Bro, I think you know it was we were off to the side and I think I saw Kevin and and walking up the street. So I had turned around after you know, I was giving you all the love and saw your chair. And then I had came back into the tent and they gave me my fucking chair.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And I literally I was like, I'm going to say something. I want to ask for my chair, like where's my chair? And then I got my chair, bro, and I was just like, thank you, Bro. And it was to your point. It was a testament of the work and the journey because seeing that as small as it is, right, and you don't get the chair, by the way, ladies, gymen, you get the little sliff the sleeve, while I ordered one on Amazon so I can put that chair. Absolutely, chair. I'll buy you a s Tiffany, buy him a chair. But listen, I literally I was, I was, you know, And again we're in front of Chicken Man's house, and I want to just give props to the family, you know, the family. He still lives in the house, you know. And I remember saying to you, how the fuck did all these people get in this little ass basement?
Speaker 1: You remember that, you know absolutely, because I'm like, I'm looking at the house.
Speaker 2: I'm like, and I'm assuming back in the day, that was a nice size house. It was, right, it was a nice house. But ladies and gentle when I tell you, it was twenty five hundred square feet all of it, the upstairs, downstairs, back rooms. And I was like, wait, they had a whole casino, VI and ladies and Germany. When you see this, you know, come to life on Peacock September fifth, go binge, watch it when it's available. If you're just hearing this for the first time get immersed into the world. You can literally drive by the house. That was the thing that I guess like through me the most, Like, wow, fifty something years later and the family still lives there. How did they feel when you know, you ended up talking to them and like this is happening and we're at the house, like I know, they were freaking out, like whoa.
Speaker 1: Well, even during the making of the podcast, James, who was living in the house, he even said, it's weird just to go back in time and just got because you know, again he's I think a leave a little younger than I am, so he'd heard stories, right, you know, so.
Speaker 2: It probably wasn't as enthralled as you, to be honest, not as much. But he started obsessed.
Speaker 1: But he's absolutely and he started to be And let's but let's use this word obsessed. Wasn't because everybody asked me that, so I want to I want to properly define this. So obsessed wasn't the right word. I'll tell you why, because it wasn't like, like it's something Kenny that at some point I could even put down like I'm saying the project in general, and it always just came back to me like I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to I am a witness of that. Actually, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Just want to say, like this project, I mean again, you say whatever. I feel like it chose me in some capacity to be a part of this in some capacity. But whenever anybody had to, it just came knocking on.
Speaker 2: Justuse we've actually thought it was over a few times. Yeah, together, we would taught it.
Speaker 1: Would always something would come. I'm saying a little hint or a re an article back and it just so I'm just saying as much I was passionate, passionate, passion, but never obsessed. And it's always just.
Speaker 2: Guess what I'm obsessed with.
Speaker 1: We are.
Speaker 2: For get us some obsession, Colonne, exactly, We're gonna start wearing obsession. Colone. I just feel that you're right. You know when we got into the scenes, right and then you know, obviously I got a character and we're going to talk about that momentarily. But you know, this was the house that the robbery happened. Downstairs. People got shot, you know, people got tied up, you know, you know, they were in their underwear, like and these people live in this house and I'm outside the house and you're outside the house. We're not exactly chairs, like it's a whole mind fuck, to be honest with you. And then I remember a few days later, I go to assembly to you know, get my wig and cat Daddy's coming to life, and the first scene was in the basement and we weren't in the original house anymore. We were on set at the assembly, but they made it look like a basement from the seventies. You guys who are seventies babies and eighties babies. You remember that bean that's downstairs in that old house you had and used to do pull ups on it, used to do all types of stuff on. You had those poles. It looks it looked like the basement.
Speaker 1: And then the way they built it up with the casinos and the craps tables unbelievable. It brought you right into that party again, like you were there.
Speaker 2: You were there, And I remember this, y'all, And and ladies and germen, I was in my draws. That's right, episode three. I don't know if it's episode three or four, but I'm in my draws. So ladies, get ready, I'm married. I don't need any DMS, yes, you know, but the case, the shit is I'm mad at Kevin. You wont to know why I'm mad at Kevin for them fucking long.
Speaker 1: Jacobs are long that giants not his?
Speaker 2: No, but I'm like, I can't believe he actually wore the long johns. It's part of the story. No, I tell the story though, because I had to bring that up because everybody was in their draws. Oh yeah, in slips and brawls and pannies, and then Chicken Man had on long jaws. Please tell that story.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, shayak Vana shout out to our show runner. Yes, he got to come into the basement of the real house as well. So now you can see as he's riding the way that he can envision. So that was cool just to watch that go y. So then yeah, part of again you'll see it. But Chicken Man is wearing his long johns for a reason, and it's part of the storyline, which you'll see.
Speaker 2: But it's you can tell that part. You're not telling the whole story. Talk about the long johns, well.
Speaker 1: I think again, it was part of the weather at that time that Chicken Man, you know, was wearing as you know, yeah, you're long giants. It's underneath you're going out in the cold in October, you know, blah blah blah. But it becomes again something where people are eyeing and.
Speaker 2: It's like, why, yeah, how do you go on? Yeah? Yeah? Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And what's funny is you're thinking the same thing when you're forget about this movie itself, You're like, what are we exactly?
Speaker 2: But that's and that's I wanted to share that because people haven't follow in the podcast and are listening late and haven't saw the episodes yet. You know, it's it's something that Frank Molten was wondering too, Like you little motherfucker. You You just why you got on Long John's Yeah, and why didn't they give me silk draws? Like Frank mot you had the wave, daddy, I had a whole Fruit of the Loon situation going on. I wanted some silk draw and I remember a funny little story about the basement. I didn't share this ship. So you know, although you and I you eventually got more comfortable. You moved around set like you should as an executive producer. I was doing it from day one. Yes, okay, but I'm in there. But I don't go to the cast and say Hey, I'm the executive producer. I came in like talent, and I hadn't been in the basement yet, right, And I wish I knew this young brother's name. But we're in there, and you know, extras are always fighting for the camera, that's true, right, And I mean literally they're moving. When somebody moves, they slip in. And so I'm literally in there. And again I'm not saying I'm Kenny Brown's exactly producer. A lot of people don't know me. You're younger. Yeah, I'm cat daddy, right, And so Atkins and I had this position. I saw it, right, and what's the AD's name? Let the woman? What's the woman's saying that I can't? Yes, I love her so much, and you know she was, you know, saying you should be here. Atkins's going to be here, Kevin's here, you know, Terrence is here. And I'm hearing this lineup and she's saying that I'm gonna be in this shot with these amazed So I'm drifting. I'm in a dream sequence. I'm not you know what I'm saying. I'm there, but I'm not there. I'm trying to get character, but I'm trying not to fan out, you know what I mean, because although these are my people and I know them in real life, I'm about to be in a limited TV series film Kevin.
Speaker 1: Here, you're right here, you film Sam Jackson's back here. I'm watching it again. I'm in the village watching you film me. By the way you're making me, You're like, Jeff, make sure you feel the minor So it's a double fa It's like, I'm into this, into this. I got the double thing going on.
Speaker 2: And so we had this part where we had to stand up, you know, move and people had to get up, and so of course people moved. And then you know that first time we shot it it was no problems. The extras were in pocket. But you know, we had to do a reshoot. And when we did the reshoot, it was this one kid man and he was so pressed and I'm like, if in my mind, if you're sitting behind me, you're gonna be in the shop. So and I guess he doesn't know who I am in the scene or what I mean to the scene, and so it got one point where he kind of like, you know, excuse me, Like, no, excuse you, this is like your seventeenth time doing this. I just want you to move back and just be calm. Okay, you're going to have your spot, right. So everybody else who knew me were kind of like, yo, dude, is good because people who know me I will kirk out. Not kirk out, but like, yo, get the fuck back there, please, Like, don't play yourself. You cannot be in the scene. Yes, And it was just a weird we're kind of juxtaposition because after he came like you I didn't know, I said, well, you should always treat people you know like I treated you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I could have been in position myself. Don't position me exactly.
Speaker 2: I like that. Okay, Jeff, But that was one of my favorite moments because it was a teachable moment for him. It was a moment where I actually got a chance to act with some peers and superheroes. And that wasn't even my lines. That was just me kind of in that same Yeah. And then we the second shoot, we got into a little bit more because you know, that was the scene that Kevin had made a play for the gun. Me and Silky got up and we were like, and I'm in the background of that too now, So that's a little extra scene. Thank you, Craig. You came back on and put me back in another. Yeah scene.
Speaker 1: But Kitty got a trailer, as cat Daddy. Tell him what your trailers like, though, give them the real world.
Speaker 2: My trailer wasn't ship Okay, I got a bathroom. No, no, no, I didn't get a damn sprint her. What did Kevin have it? Kevin had three fucking campers. I had a bathroom. But I was thankful. Flour was wet.
Speaker 1: I came up and knocked that first time I come up. The stress you open up, so you got the afro, you got the fruit, you got shorts on your bare white little skitty whatever. And then your what kind of was it?
Speaker 2: Boots say roelopisode? Yeah, but it was beautiful, man, But I want to really the lines, you know my lines. I don't think people understand the hurry up and wait process of filming. You know, we were supposed to film at ten PM. I didn't get the film to two a m. And it was the last shot at least right, and it was the last shot keating, you know what I mean. And I'm like, you.
Speaker 1: Got a budget, they got a time, they got a time. Starting, yes, starting to rain. I got the umbrella, the little things. I'm with you, So.
Speaker 2: Starting to rain. You know, it's like not pouring, but it's starting like that little misty.
Speaker 1: Car sliding down.
Speaker 2: Remember they killed it, That's what I want to say. So then they got us driving these old vehicles right, and y'all you're not gonna notice it in the TV series. But we had two takes of the cars, and I only had two takes of my lines. Now, mind you, this is a very intricate scene. Melvin greg is on the car, he's leaned up playing. Lookout right, I'm driving up with some foxy ladies. I'm about to ask where the party is. Right. Then Silke comes up parallel to Now mind just three cars in a row. We got to get this right lined up perfectly, you know what I mean, to execute the scene, and we did it in two takes. Yeah, so I was at.
Speaker 1: The wet surface where they had to get sliding and they get to pull back.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the car of Atkins car ak Silke, the character Silke, he literally his car stopped. You remember that they have to fix it real quick, you back it up. So, yeah, it was an amazing feat. But my lines were, you know, I want to want to wait it started with safe Player. I'm gonna leave it there, Okay, like that, all right, ravaplus for me. But I you know, it's a testament man to like even what you're saying about how you felt about the chair, how you felt first day on set, how you felt meeting Don Cheto. Han't had him in the back of your mind as a player in the game or player in this particular. You know, a series, and you know we're getting to this point, you know, in the process, and this is a five month almost six month process, right, it's five months, right, and we're literally like wow every time we show up the set, by the performances, the stage design, the on location I mean, and by the way we went to all the landmarks in Atlanta. We were at the Beautiful we did the Claremont Lounge, We had so many important we were at the plais Region. Yeah. Hi, that was a cool night. And let's get to it now.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well before just real quickly, so that basement scene, I just want to kind of give you a little bit more how this how the family has merged with this project. So James, who owns the house, where the heights took place. Now obviously not that then, So without even telling me, so he I guess he either wants to be an extra, get into acting, whatever it is. I'll have to find out the story. But somehow no. But but what I'm saying is he doesn't call. He knows me I'm an executive producer, he'd get me. He does this on his own. He calls the company, he auditions whatever. He shows up that day, and I'm just like, what you do, like James, And he's he's got the boat, by the way, He's in several scenes now, so he's in there with But I'm just like James. He's like, but I did so just how cool that he just wants to do this on his own and he could position himself in a way.
Speaker 2: But he's just so.
Speaker 1: But I reverse it, and I was like, I tell everybody. I was like, you got to you know this is the family?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, and the family came to set.
Speaker 1: Family comes to set. They show him around, they get to see everybody acting, they get to see the real home where their family.
Speaker 2: Used to live.
Speaker 1: It's the emotional scene of them showing up and being guided around, getting meet the stars, talk to Willpacker everybody.
Speaker 2: So it's very cool. It's amazing, man, because as you said, you kept being drawn back to this project to make it happen. And then and then what we went through with the life rights with the family and how much money they thought was on the table versus what it was though, just all the things and what to be done. And that's why, like I was wanting to bring up the higher regency. You know, the Polaris is a main staple in this and it still exists in Atlanta today. Yeah, right, And so when we were in that lobby and we talked about it briefly on the other episode. But like I'm looking up in the air and I'm.
Speaker 1: Watching a trium you remember that was on May first a Triums back in the days what I'm saying, And it's still the same elevator. It's still the same that the glass elevator, you know. So you could see everybody, people in their full thing, going up and down.
Speaker 2: And I remember I remember Lori Harvey scene and she kept going up and down the and I'm just like where am I right now? Like I know, I'm being teleported every time I come to set to nineteen seventy but like, you know, it's such movie magic. You know, you hear that term, you know, like movie magic or things fall into place or a line and and and Kevin might be a part of the illuminati. I just want to say it might be a part of them.
Speaker 1: Was already pushing that.
Speaker 2: Now, listen to what I'm saying. Every single time he and I had a moment, you know, when you have moments, you're like, bro, look at this, he's like I told you, he said, watch what happens every single time, and I would tell you some of the times, like you know, he said, this is going to be a da da da, And it's like, how do you know this? I need to know how you know this? But it's dope because that's the belief he has in the film. He's not a clearly nother part of the but it's like the confidence his air, you know. And I don't mean to be talking about him this nicely this much like I mean, it's you know, I don't know if he's he's ever had this many compliments for me, but it's like he just had he had an air the entire time Sam Jackson had an air, Taraji had air about her in her performance and how in control she was and how good she smelled every day on set. Jesus Christ. Look but it looked. Yeah, but it was like everybody had a seriousness. It was almost like a mission, you know what I mean, to like do the very best in their individuals.
Speaker 1: You know, you know Kevin, you know. So I don't obviously I know the persona. I've grown up as the comedian. So I'm just letting everybody know as a guy that was there for four or five months while this guy was all business. I'm just listening to a comedian that was not cracking up on set. I mean, you find he's joke whatever. This guy is business. And and let me also say this, He's on set four or five days, He's getting in a plane, he's flying to god.
Speaker 2: Knows where, he was doing a couple.
Speaker 1: Of shows, a couple of shows, coming back back to work, going to do the honors at the DC with the Mark Twain, just like nonsense. And he's showing up every day on set doing his business. And and so I'm just saying.
Speaker 2: This sleep on set then waking up and doing his lines noble like pop.
Speaker 1: Fing work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never actually you know seen anybody work as hard as like, I've never artist. Yeah, so big shot to Kevin art Man. You really brought his home. You know, we're getting close to the end of the front where so Fight Night, these bonus episodes were a brilliant idea because we never got to sit down together. So seeing how it actually begin in all the trials and tribulations to get to this masterpiece of a TV series. You know, how do you see Fight Night in the future? Right, Like, and then we're talking about fandom. It doesn't have to be a show, but how do you see fighting Because we have these shows in our history right that have you know, resonated with us in such a way where you watch them fifty years from now. So if we're celebrating fifty years plus year is the actual and fifty plus y if somebody's gonna be watching this limited TV series, how does that feel to you? Right? And then there's possibilities for other things. But right now you know that these eight episodes will live forever. Twenty years ago you had no idea that this will become a real thing. And now for the rest of eternity, as long as this small planet exists, somebody can watch Fight Night and see Jeff Keating and Kenny Burns and Will Packer and Kevin Harden say at the end of these credits, at the beginning and end of these credits, how does that feel? I just fucking had a moment. Yeah, it's fucking crazy.
Speaker 1: And Will and you had always kind of in your minds thought of this not as just a project of a series, but in an event, you know what I mean, saying well, I'm serious. And even on set it felt so it's like, Okay, you're come, you're a family, you're working whatever. But it feels like every time you remember, you're just like it's an event, Like we're walking on things, this is this is a place in time, you're stamping this. We're looking back, but we're also looking forward and we're gonna like have this forever. And so I started to reframe like the way I was thinking, we're man, this this thing isn't the project. It's like it's got to And Will said this often it's.
Speaker 2: Got a life of its own, Like, no, it's got it's so to your point though, when when so many disciples, i mean, you talked about it, you talked about the you know, the wardrobe. You talked about the you know, construction people, the set design all night. You know how many people who are a part of this. I'm talking about actually putting it together. That's also the evangelist, right. But then now it's available to watch.
Speaker 1: On first of all, promos on the Olympus.
Speaker 2: Come on, bro, I'm watching the Olympics and it comes on TV. I'm like, what's going on?
Speaker 1: This is right? And then the Blast the opening night of NFL. It's like, and that's where we're gonna release, and you got the premiere.
Speaker 2: It's you could have not scripted this better. No, it's crazy, you know. And and I'm gonna say it right here, right now on the Fight Night Million Dollar Heights podcast. This is your first project, my first project of this magnitude, and we're about to win some awards and I'm just going listen. It is no way that this type of lineup doesn't get the acclaim. It's just it's no way because the dynamic, and we talked about it, its entire you know, these entire episodes, all these episodes were telling you how dynamic Taraji and Kevin were. You never knew you needed Terrence and saying on the screen. Jd ak Don Cheato comes to life in a way that you probably haven't seen him. I'm talking about on films. And so when you get magic like that, and then you have a whole new cluster of superheroes like the Melvin Gray, the Miles Bulloks to you know, the Chloe Bailey's, the sin Kwa Walls, the Lori Harvey, like these people did amazing jobs.
Speaker 1: You know, I get nervous, right so when I started to keep those nerves. But on set when I'm talking to Kev's and I got one story about the arage but his entourage and and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big shot to Kevin Kwan, I love you man. He got the photo of me, Kevin Terrence and Sam Jackson the first day at that house or the first day at that house. And when I tell you my great great great great great great great great, they're gonna that's gonna be in the fact like that is. It's one of those types of framable Yeah. Yeah, so I feel you wholeheartedly. I don't know where we go from here, Jeff. I know we have other projects. Now I'm not even talking about fighting because we're coming to a close. Because we were talking about a bunch of projects we want to do together and that we are going to do together. But it's you know, a testimony man of of seeing it to the finish line. And we are at the finish line, Jeff, So as we get up out of here, man, like, how does it feel to be at the finish line? Getting ready for September fifth and Fight Nights going to premiere on Peacock.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, yeah, I was offered and again shout out to everybody you know to watch Dally. You know, so I turn you know, I turned everything down. I didn't read the scripts, I didn't watch the day so everybody's he did not want to see anything I know, so I have not except for the trailer honestly, so you ca'm now it's everywhere. But I'm just saying, like for me, I'm glad I was so because I want to see it on the bit, you know what I mean, Like I just the first time I want to see it all I listen, I've watched scenes. I know you know this little story but I'm talking about and by the way, shout out to who's composing this music.
Speaker 2: And it's important that people know right now before they go watch this amazing presentation. Yeah, Top Live, You're going to feel different. Yes, it's great. I mean I'm talking about from the soundtrack, to the actors, to the help. This was an amazing experience and I'm so proud and honor that we got to do it together. Brother, I really am.
Speaker 1: I'll close with this, there's only one other person in the world that loves this project more than I do, and he's sitting across from me now. So to be on set with Kenny's energy, with his passion, with his excitement, with his boyish enthusiasm with them in all of that stuff, and to watch the way that you move like throughout everything and allow me to kind of, you know, follow, But just to be there together on all the days that we got to do that was just a real honor and a privilege. And sitting across from you now, I've been waiting to do this. I hope We've got many more opportunities. But Kenny, Kenny's my rock everybody, and he's a big part of the reason this got done, and we're going to enjoy this ride together.
Speaker 2: Of you tube brother. Alright, Buddy, the dream is real.
Speaker 1: From iHeart Radio and Doghouse Pictures this is fight night,