Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 2: Honey, we are.
Speaker 1: Take Malachi.
Speaker 3: We are the authority on.
Speaker 1: R and B ladies and gentlemen, My name is Take this the R and B Money Podcast, the authority on all things R and B with extra chief, with extra depth. Huh. We travel mm hmmm. We we take this thing on the road.
Speaker 3: Huh Atlanta, Yeah, where we at Enise Studio.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: Our brother, little Roddia has opened the doors for us to come to Atlanta and tap into the soil, tap into the heartbeat, get into the depths of the creatives and the masters who've made this good and be shipped that we got him that enough building.
Speaker 1: Nick. Uh. Discography is a real thing. Uh. The list is long, the work undefeated.
Speaker 3: Uh. If you see this man, if you look at him, you wouldn't You wouldn't be able to tell the time that has been put in because he's been preserved because of the quality that he's been putting into the atmosphere that has been circling back to him.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say too many words. I want the man to speak.
Speaker 3: The Man of God deserves an opportunity to say the speak.
Speaker 1: Uh. They call him Jasper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, big love.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody with the name big Love. Yeah, you out of control?
Speaker 5: Hey, man, you know.
Speaker 6: I'm here for I'm here for the people.
Speaker 1: He's promoting something. He love. When she asked you, what's your name? Big Love? Baby? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Baby, come get a slice of you, get a.
Speaker 3: Piece of it. Come get a piece give me that, give me big Love. Where does big Love come from? How did you even get to that?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 5: I tell you what's so crazy? I really hijacked this name. So years ago, many Fresh and Jazzy Fay was doing the group. Put myself in the group. I said, what the name y'all?
Speaker 1: Group?
Speaker 5: Big Love?
Speaker 6: I put my I made myself a member.
Speaker 1: What l Yeah, what's.
Speaker 5: Up manny fres Yeah, I made myself a member. And then I just took They still calling me big Love, but the name of that group was supposed to be Big Love.
Speaker 6: And I insert myself in the group.
Speaker 5: And I was in the group and we were Big Love, and I took the name Big Love.
Speaker 1: I said, it's got to be me, it's got to be got to be mean. Yeah. Man, whatever happened to the crew, man?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 5: Some praise, man, they would get some get some more money. Back then, man, my god, they was on five. They was getting it and they was just let me hang along. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: My brother, you've done your part. Yeah, you've done your party. I promise you had. And I just want to you know, first of all, you number you're number one as we touched down. Oh number you you're number one, no higher. You're kicking this thing off, kicking off the right way, you know what I'm saying. So the bar is high. Oh yeah, whoever else comes and sits in that chair right here, you know, get the bars hot elevated.
Speaker 1: But I want to go back to.
Speaker 3: The beginning because you know you you we we all from a familiar place, sir, to where this thing started for you, to where to where somebody said, boy, that boy right there he got You said to yourself, I got something.
Speaker 5: Got Some man started on the West side of Atlanta. My mama, Missus Clergey, and my whole family from the West side of Atlanta, you know what I'm saying. And they made everybody in my family either had to be in the church choir on an urschel board. You got to go to church, and you gotta be you got to be involved. You ain't got no choice, you know what I'm saying. And what's so crazy it is the church I went to Greater Springfield. It's in the bluff. The actual pastor of that church is DC young Fly Daddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the pastor of my church, Solomon Whitfield Junior, is DC young Fly Daddy.
Speaker 1: Stop playing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that was the pastor of my church, and so my whole family. You know what I'm saying. He probably I remember him. He was a baby. Actually, his mama and my mama went to high school together. You know, his parents had him late in life, so he was Yeah, so he was when I when I was teaching.
Speaker 6: He was a baby when I was a teenager. So it started in church.
Speaker 5: So my whole family went to the church and it was like y'all gonna sing be in a ursher board. So it started there and then what ended up happening was in school one day this the teacher made everybody get up and sing, you know, the stop spang abound or whatever. So this dude got up. I went to Kye Heights Elementary School on the west side Lema, and the teacher got made this boy get up and sing right, and he couldn't sing, and everybody started laughing. I wasn't even laughing. She looked straight at me and say, well, since you think it's so funny, you get up and sing. I don't really know I can sing. I just know what I do at church. And so when I got up and sang, she say, oh, you can sign for real. She took me to the music teacher, offers Ms. Holloway. And from that point on, I was either doing music at church. This second grade scond, so either I was doing music at church or I was doing it at school. So by then, you know, you fully in mercy at you at church and then you at school doing music. And then I go home with my big brother and them they doing music. So I was just encompassed by music. What was your big brothers though, Man, my big brother he had a group, but they was listening to rap. You know, when you were older brothers there, you know they put you on the stuff earlier than everybody else in your age group because they you know, when you got big the streets, so you know they was putting me on I was. I was faster than most kids my age because I was learning from my big brothers and my cousins and them, and I was on the music they was on, so they was exposing me and everything. I never forget when I rapped, we was on Too Short two Live crew. I wasn't supposed to listen to that, but that's what they listened to.
Speaker 1: Taking that back to the elementary, please believe it.
Speaker 5: We on the We're on the top field, somebody saying, hey.
Speaker 3: We want some Yeah, you can say podcast, puse, Yeah, we want it.
Speaker 6: We're listening to Too Short.
Speaker 5: Her name was Rinder, like a brand new Hunt. So I'm listening to all that. But then, but then, but then my mama. But then I go to my mama.
Speaker 6: She making us learn whining songs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then we go around the corner and then we on no Audition and then we're on Michael.
Speaker 6: That song was just a bunch of mixture of everything. So it's all of that mixed and one. So you just getting all this music. Then I never forget.
Speaker 5: The first record I wanted my mama to buy me was ass We Laid by SHERYLO.
Speaker 1: Murder.
Speaker 6: I didn't know what the song. I didn't know what the song meant.
Speaker 5: I asked my mama day, I said, Mom, you bout me, asked me, like, she's like, what you know about that song?
Speaker 6: It was once I got older, I realized the words was a cheat song.
Speaker 5: But I'm eight.
Speaker 1: But what was happening to you? You felt?
Speaker 6: Did I'm like, whatever she's singing, but she meaning you?
Speaker 3: It was it was It was a sonic that that resonated with you that at the time you didn't understand was was actually giving birth to, you know, to what you would ultimately do. Like I tell everybody all the time, like I didn't get as much as I was in church and from Reverend James Cleveland and all of these things that we were singing and junior choir, all that stuff. All that stuff was great and I had to do it, you know, we had to do We had to do it. But I didn't get captivated with music. It didn't captivate me or stop me in my tracks. Until I'm walking past the TV and the Charlie Brown's Christmas is playing.
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 1: What is that and what is it doing to me?
Speaker 6: I feel it?
Speaker 1: And that was.
Speaker 3: The start of me like being obsessed with music because that was the first thing I obsessed about, trying to play the songs in the Charlie Brown Christmas.
Speaker 5: It's crazy. You don't know when music.
Speaker 1: I think for me it was.
Speaker 7: Sorry Shaw Oh yeah yeah that was like pass what a song?
Speaker 6: What is that?
Speaker 1: What is what is that? Yeah? Yeah that was my first one. Yeah, it really caught me. That was like, okay, I like that like this, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's fire too as that song. Those are songs that like like I remember them, songs like I remember being somewhere with those songs like like vividly you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: And we were living on the street cross the Lenisle Street and point point. Yeah, to this day, I just remembered you right back death put you right there. That's what supposed to it's supposed to put time staff place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Mama bout you Shirley Murdo.
Speaker 5: She did, and I played it out. Yeah, oh man, that's Charlot murder out. What she could sign?
Speaker 1: Boy?
Speaker 5: So she brought me that Charlo murdered out man. And you know, was she the first staith evans Man?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Wow, think about it.
Speaker 1: That Bocaton was very unique. She was she was not holding back.
Speaker 6: On computer love and focus on computer.
Speaker 1: Love, was holding into.
Speaker 3: It, going crazy, going crazy. So so so we we're we're we're in elementary school, probably out of elementary school now, but you have been exposed to be too short, Yes, sir, The Whinings, Yes sir. Two Live Crews, Shirley Murder Yeah uh new edition before fifth grades. Okay, Wow, when does it? When does it inspire you to actually do something of your own, something original from yourself.
Speaker 5: What happened was this right here right So Atlanta has a very rich talents show culture and skater ring culture. So all these acts everybody eventually seen come out of here from TLC, from Chris Cross, the ABC, from even Jermaine, the pre Dallas House organized noise.
Speaker 6: All of us used to be these skating rinks.
Speaker 5: It was. It was skating rings and the talents show culture. So ultimately what happened was ABC hit ABC Hit. That was one of the first groups in I in Our Age record to hit ABC Hit with Sue and we found out the producer from Banana Dallas. They were signed on Michael Bibbs. You know Michael Biver's on fire right here. You know Michael Bivers the first like puffing all of that, so he on fire. So after ABC here it the next group was Chris Cross. What happened was they put out the press release that Chriscross got discovered in the mall by Jermaine dupri So. That made every young person in Atlanta. We went to the mall every weekend. Around the mall, we was getting kicked out of Linars, go to Green Bright, go go to South wherever we was going to the mall because we're like, this is how Chrisscross did it.
Speaker 6: So crazy about Criscross. I went to school with light.
Speaker 5: Skin, Chris brother and sister, Jennifer and Loney Chris, light Skin, Chris, Jennifer, Lonia went to school with me. He was like a two younger, but they had hit by the time he supposed to come to high school. So I went to so we all see we seeing everybody. We were like, man and at the same time, the face moved down here. Come on, the face moved down here. So you get ABC go bam. They would, Oh they were bft in Dallas, Boom, We on Chris Cross, boom Jamaine on, Oh man, the face move here Atlanta boom. So it's every It's talent shows everywhere, its group's everywhere, and uh and it just happened. I was in eighth grade and one of the people I went to eighth grade high school with was her g Rock.
Speaker 1: It was up.
Speaker 5: They're from Allen Temple, They're from Adamsville, my neighborhood. They end up getting them a deal and their manager who end up getting them to deal.
Speaker 6: With Jojo and Dave.
Speaker 5: They was like the biggest street guys in Atleanta, and they happened to be jeezy cousins later on. That's how I made Jesus through them. So alta small like that. So this this, this is like ninety ninety one or something. We kids, and he like, man, look, we just got us a deal. They twelve and thirteen. We just got us a deal with Capitol.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: Joe, Jo and David by manager. They want another singing group. Man, they want another singing group. Go get some of them lame man niggas. You in the chow wit.
Speaker 6: It's exactly what he said.
Speaker 5: This is exactly what he said, Man, go get some of them lame man niggas. You in the chorus with Yeah, Go get some of the lame man nigga you in the chords with a bit yob and y'all go do a demo I'm like, what's a demo? So he said, okay, because at.
Speaker 1: This point, the neighborhood know you sing, because you know in.
Speaker 5: School once you once you start doing stuff in school, now that you know, it's gonna start spreading. And then they know they little fat jobs. But who be singing yeah little little fat jazz. Yeah yeah, you know how they doing it. They described it by whatever they little they little fat Joss. They be saying, you know what I'm saying, so you know what I'm saying. They look fat Johns, but they be saying so they know. So that's why he like man group.
Speaker 1: Because little is like it's endearing, but it's also disrespect. It's it's also dismissing everything.
Speaker 6: But it's like, yeah, my god, So that was mess that little card.
Speaker 5: How they describe so they look fat job, but they'll be singing yeah. And so we put the group together.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: From then on, when I put the group together with the guys, we had a group. We had a group now. So we just was like, okay, well they just thug it out. So we started doing the talent shows and all that stuff too, and we didn't win, not one talent show because one twelve won all of them and that group name was Fort.
Speaker 6: They won every talent show.
Speaker 1: They won everyone what twelve because same like that.
Speaker 6: When they was twelve and thirteen, man, it was off.
Speaker 1: It was the four guys.
Speaker 5: Was he quit As wasn't in the group yet. Quinn's was actually in another group, but it was slim.
Speaker 6: It was the run. It was Mike and they had a bass. You remember when Boys and Men came out, every group had to have a base.
Speaker 5: Everybody had to have a base. So they had to do with a deep voice in the group. But they were singing like that. I promised to God. When we was thirteen to twelve, thirteen and fourteen, they were singing like that. They was called Fort back then, and they like from the South. They're actually from the same neighborhood young thug from like like one twelve, from like Jonesbord South and all of that. So they from over there, so you know what I mean. So they but them boys could sing. Man, they were every We could never beat them, but everybody. But all of a sudden, everybody out of them talent, out of them Talness Show. They started getting signed and stuff. Because then everybody started coming down. I'll never forget. When one twelve got they did, we was like, oh my god. I seen Slim one time in the hood at the store.
Speaker 6: He said, boy, we just shot a video. We in New York with pop Daddy. He said what he said, boy, we got a video. What do y'all see this?
Speaker 5: We seen that video. We say, oh, it's really for real. Yeah yeah yeah, because everybody, our whole generation, everybody was getting signed. First of all, Escape got, you know, Jamaine signed, They got put on You know what I say, every last one of them groups. Everybody knew each other or one person in the group because everybody was getting sign Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was crazy. Yeah they got.
Speaker 5: When they came down here, they plugged the man. I promised to God, you could go around back then and you will see all of that. Like any rapper that ever made it out of here. I knew him way before they was. I knew him since we was like in elementary school or high school or something.
Speaker 1: Were you guys doing original music?
Speaker 5: See what happened was my brother and them seemed See I had older brothers and cousins, so by the fault there was management because they was old enough with the cars and driving us around. So they used to take us to the shows and stuff, so we used to go try to. They used to pay for us to win studio time. You know, they was in the streets and doing all kinds of stuff. So they had the little money, they'll go pay for studio time to sing and stuff.
Speaker 6: And I remember we used to pay studio time. And I remember we was like man. Our group.
Speaker 5: We was all kind of like arch kids because we could play and sing and stuff. We were like man. Instead of pant they giving us wax songs. We could sing our own wax songs. That's our only thing. Like instead of paying for these demo we could do our own wax songs. If they're gonna be terrible, we might as well sing our own terrible songs. So that's what made us doing it, because we could already play and all that kind of time.
Speaker 1: You hadn't written anything.
Speaker 5: Now we haven't.
Speaker 1: We wasn't.
Speaker 6: We wasn't really writing.
Speaker 5: We only started writing songs for real, for real because we wanted to have our songs for demo because we was paying other people to do songs, and it was like they were wax.
Speaker 6: So they're like, we're about twelve, because you know, the first demo.
Speaker 5: We were doing covers you know how, you know how you're going there and you make they'll redo tracks for you for demo. So when we got you start getting more mature, and we're like, well man, we kind of want to do our own songs. We started trying to get people do their songs. We were like, well man, we run now we could play pianos and sing and all of that. We could do that if if they terrible. Now my group was pure Bliss. We got that from a cool J song. We did what we did with our boys and men swimming in the on the exits a pure Bliss. We said, that's our name, like, yeah, pure Bliss. We got it from the hay Lovel song Pure Bliss.
Speaker 6: We had had it after that. You never know it.
Speaker 5: Pure Bliss, and we thought we was Hey, we thought we were so dope. Man, them songs. Let me tell you, we thought we were so dope. I went back to listen to them songs one day.
Speaker 1: I said, I don't.
Speaker 3: Wonder nobody, Hey listen man, I've had that moment with myself.
Speaker 1: I listened to some old ship I was I was like that nigga was.
Speaker 6: We were so packed out though, that.
Speaker 5: I remember we did this one show one time, right, we had a showcase and this dude seen the show. He like, listen, I don't know about those songs, but y'all can perform real good.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: We said that nigga ain't in here, that nigga don't know nothing. Man, what these songs ain't right? We were crazy psyched out from Letlanta nigga. Right, You're like, man, you crazy. These songs hard. Them songs was terrible.
Speaker 6: And he was trying.
Speaker 4: He was trying to give him some some good little game, just a little game.
Speaker 1: We were.
Speaker 6: We were so we were like, man, you tripping, you tripping.
Speaker 1: You can't hear this?
Speaker 3: So this So did you emerge out of all of that as like, well, see the premier guy.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't know because really I ain't really no singer like that won't be real with you.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna stytus, you know.
Speaker 5: I just want to put on some clothes and look like I'm in B B D or something, and you know, put everybody together. I could write the songs, I could play, I could do all that, but I am I ain't dying to sing, like I ain't one of the ones, I gotta singing styling us.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm gonna said, big boy, big boy, you know what I'm say. I'm gonna do that. I'm gonna do the big big boy hunt and all that.
Speaker 1: I'm if you see, yeah, the street just yelling, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So what happened was so eventually through all of these things we finally meet we get to manage my management. Just having having a studio, you know, through going through Brench studios, we met our management dude named Leonard, so we just so he had him to have a studio. So at this studio one day, this lady come in and he said, man, y'all need to come meet this lady. It was a lady named joryce Urby. I'm gonna tell y'all who jorce Urby is.
Speaker 2: She was.
Speaker 5: She the lead singer of the group Climax, So the song the Me and All Pause and I Miss You and all of that. She came up with babyfacing all of them. She came up at the studio time one day and he said, y'all need to meet her. She in the business. She also discovered Dallas Austin. So to put it all together, so we call meet her one day and she's like, oh, y'all, y'all, y'all, yeah, we did our songs with whatever. She's like, y'all wrote them songs. We're like yeah. She like, I'm gonna help y'all get a deal. But this is what I want to do too. I want to help y'all need to help me find another group that's a little bit younger than y'all. I'm gonna get y'all a deal, and then we're gonna put a group together for some guys because by this time we was out of high school. We Liken Well was one of one of them, was still in high school by just graduated, so we were about eighteen seventeen th six dollars, still teens. And she was like, we're gonna go find a put a younger group together, and then I'm gonna hep get y'all a deal. I'm gonna get another group of deal. Well in the process us gett us a deal. She said, y'all help me find another young group too. She goes in the yearbook, she goes in the yellow Pages and say, okay, I told her. I say, my aunt Tie Church got two little boys that can sign, and she like, you're gonna go get them me? Like yeah, we went to the church and got them to a little boy. She said, I'm gonna find somebody else. She went through her yellow pages and she was going through the alphabets in the first Oh hey, let me call this elementary school. She called the first elementary school she could find, Avndale Elementary, east side of Atlanta. She's and she was like, I'm looking for kids that can sing and to teach. The principals Like, well, I think I got one person will be perfect for y'all. She like, oh, come go meet him. So she goes and meets the little boy she called. She calls and said, look, I think I found our star. Meet me tonight at the Red Lobster on Camel rode down the street from south to cal Mall. I never forget this, you know, we driving by this point we eighteen, but that nineteen. She like, meet me at the Red Lobster. Anybody from Atlanta, y'all know this Red loss by south of Caroma, on the east side of Alanda, the Cala Road. We meet. We walk in the building. The first thing, this little boy run up on me, say you sang shouting, and the boy started singing, I Believe I Can Fly. It was Lord.
Speaker 6: He was ten. I said, what is this little current of hand?
Speaker 5: Boy? He he was already ad I'm talking about the first thing. He ran up on me the first thing. He said, yeah, you can sign, shouted I can sign, and he started singing I Believe I Can Fly by R Kelly.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I don't know who this.
Speaker 5: Little This little boy's star, she said.
Speaker 6: She said he was like him.
Speaker 5: I said, oh, ever since then, me and him we've been tight. So then we start actually writing the demos for the young group. We put him with the two little boys we found at the church, and then she ain't up. They got a deal quicker than us. So, but at that point she had us writing their demos. This one I found out song writing was a real job because she like, listen, Josper No, Lord likes you. So you want to sit here with him and you're gonna write his verses and you're gonna make teach him how to sing the songs or whatever.
Speaker 6: I'm like, Okay, this is gonna get us a record deal too, Okay, Cuz at this point record.
Speaker 5: Told me, man, I want to be on B E T Black Star Power all I care about. Man, we got a video. Yeah, and she's like, yeah, y'all gonna get it for yo, they gonna get I'm like cool, So she put load on me. But so we end up doing this demo. By the time, we working so close together. He become my little brother. So he he youngest point, he ten. So since that point we always been together. So his group good a deal. We good a deal. We never got no video, never got your video. He got his video though.
Speaker 1: He got a group.
Speaker 5: They got a lot off.
Speaker 1: He got a few of them.
Speaker 5: So and and you know, through that whole process, and that's how I mean him ended.
Speaker 6: Up being so tight.
Speaker 1: So when he came out as an artist, Yeah, in the beginning, he came out with a group.
Speaker 5: He was with a group called in Tune.
Speaker 1: I remember that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was Lloyd's least sing of that group. Yeah, I think I think I knew. They and Tricky them did their first song and Candy wrote it. They was They did the song called Ready. And what was so crazy was in the midst of us doing the demo, she called us again, she can't look I got another little guy. I don't know if I want him to be in the group, I want him solo. I'm goin to bring him down. She went and got this other little guy and brought him down and she was like, nah, he's gonna be solo because I can get two separate deals.
Speaker 6: That Look, I was seven.
Speaker 5: She was moving should down. So now she was fond. And then she had signed Dallas at this point, so you have by not that. But they had no they had no issues or whatever. But they worked it out. But one under the one condition was and when she found her acts in her groups, Dallas were gonna do songs on them. You got to realize at this point, Dallas the biggest producer in the world. He doing TLC, ABC, he doing Boys and Me and this back when you were telling Diamond Records, and he right now producing the songs.
Speaker 6: He got a real studio, this one.
Speaker 5: Having a real studio meant something for real for even though it's still mean something, it's just different back then. Yeah, And so she brought us all over to Dallas. He started working on Lloyd album and he say, but I'm gonna sign Sammy solo. But Lloyd already had his deal.
Speaker 1: Lloyd had a solo deal no, Lloyd had an album with this group.
Speaker 5: With the group, Okay, so Dallas working on a group album, and he like, but I'm gonna sign Sammy solo because that way she didn't have to put Sammy in the group with Lord. She'll let Lloyd keep being in the lead singer. She's like, I'm gonna get a whole another budget with Sammy through this process. And through all this process, that's when I meet Dallas through and Lloyd. I used to write our Lord songs. So layd to tell Dallas, man, my friend ain't gonna come and write my songs with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was me hmm.
Speaker 5: So he Lloyd keep bringing me to the studio, Dallas, my friend gonna come write my songs with me, And so I ended up getting signed the Dallas at that point Dark but she put all us together.
Speaker 1: Ah Man, shout out to Joe, Shout out Joyce.
Speaker 5: She worked on Shout Out Leonad too, because Leonald he put us up, Leonard Watkins and George Urban and they put it was like crazy and then and what was so crazy what ended up happening was Sammy, even though we stopped working on him way later, you know, because it was like a year and a half of us working on Lloyd demos with his group and when her finding Samuel was thinking about put him in the group, Dallas had just got his new label deal, so he like, I'm gonna put Sammy out fast. So he did one. So the first song he put on he did on Samon was I like it. That's the very first song they ever recorded, and that and he's this when I know when you when you're on the road, This is when I know you could call your shots. He told her, he said, I'm gonna write SEMMI single the night that man went in that room and wrote it, and he said, I'm gonna have this aut in three months.
Speaker 6: And the thing was out him three months and that thing was on Fas said me, this, I go.
Speaker 1: Everywhere, you know, so like so at that.
Speaker 5: Point, you know, I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm around everything. I'm it, you know what i mean. The Dallas he rocked with me, he took me, he signed me. You know what I'm saying. He let me be around the studio every day. All they taught me how to make it be right, the production are right, you know, because you don't really know what you're doing until you see people who actually really do on that on the level. Yeah, because you know, we just sit by, We just sit by records by make the voice.
Speaker 6: It sounded like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it sound like a million people singing. We ain't know about no stacks, but how they get their drums like that. We didn't know.
Speaker 6: You had to go sithing, you know, the things you do to get the production right.
Speaker 5: So he let me be around him when he was the top producer and get all that game with precious game, Dallas, real man, and so that knowledge that from that point it was all in the game.
Speaker 1: One of the goats, one of the yeah, for sure, for real, for real early though too early, early, early, early.
Speaker 6: When people didn't even really know what that means.
Speaker 1: We didn't even know. We didn't didn't know. Yeah, yeah, we didn't know those levels.
Speaker 5: You didn't even know.
Speaker 1: You know, it was mystical to us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you didn't know.
Speaker 1: He was like a deity. He's like, that's I guess that's what Jesus. I was just always here dark exactly. It was a special place exactly. I'd never been there before, but I would hear it. I'm on the whole other side of the country.
Speaker 5: God went on Instagram back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was back then. We needed to learn differently. We need to be able to we need to be able to recover.
Speaker 5: I see it all quick things some time about on the highest level. I said, okay, yeah, see what's.
Speaker 8: Going on, because it's something different to see it, but then to actually be able to touch it, that's different.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like like right now they're getting to see things around the world, not touching.
Speaker 1: They not touching, you know what I'm saying. So Sammy is your first release.
Speaker 5: Well, see, Sammy actually was the first release because he because he put it out quick.
Speaker 1: So you start writing on the early stuff too, Yes, because I.
Speaker 5: Was doing Yeah, I was doing Sammy and Lord because we was all in the same Lady George Erby, So I was That's how I learned really how to write for other people because I really worked on them. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. So I practiced a whole long time on Lord, but when I got with Semi, I had pretty much polished it up and that was ready to put the album out fast.
Speaker 1: And Sammy's what ten eleven.
Speaker 6: Twelve right there too? Eleven or twelve?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 5: So If you go look at Sammy first videos, you see Lord and all them in there, because we all was part of the same crew. We was all signed to the same lady, you know what I mean, managing us all and putting us out with Dallas and all of that.
Speaker 6: And so when Sammy blew up, then that we're working.
Speaker 1: And then at that point did they let you in any of the videos because I'm waiting.
Speaker 5: For you, man, I never got my man. I never got in them video. I ain't start the layter really giving them video. Man.
Speaker 6: You know, man, I wanted a video, my man. I'm telling you, man, that what it was.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 6: I signed. Man, I signed my first day. I ain't even no lawyer.
Speaker 1: Do we get the video? Did a lawyer?
Speaker 5: It was terrible. I should have.
Speaker 1: He just wanted the video.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: I wanted a video. Man, I ain't even a video. I ain't gonna put I ain't even gonna putting.
Speaker 5: No cap on. I ain't no all I was thinking about. Man, if we get the video on b TV, gonna be rich.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 5: That's all.
Speaker 6: At least we're gonna be finals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we'll figure the rest. You've been in some videos though.
Speaker 6: Well later you know what I'm saying. But it was after I understood with certain you know what, but.
Speaker 1: I say, you know, Jay got a video coming up with video?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, my man, Right, you should have been on Jason, I'm a bombs said, you know, come steal cameos y'all remember the steal cameo days.
Speaker 1: Still cameo like, man, what he doing is that? What is it? That was serious? Busy boy?
Speaker 5: You getting the cameos for?
Speaker 1: So it was your first hit record?
Speaker 5: Man, The first record that I probably say it was a real hit that I was a part of, probably was Christin n Aguilera Dirty that was the Yeah. So I didn't know nothing, like you know, we was writing around everybody, but I didn't even really know. I used to always wonder everybody want singles cause.
Speaker 1: You know, some album cut a bunch of app cuts.
Speaker 5: You know, placements.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: We did the Sameme album. They end up going real good. And then I worked on Nearby, a album that went real good. I had a cop yeah you know what I'm saying. So we end up around people around I was doing a bunch of little I was doing a bunch of you know songs, and I got and shout out to Ryan Glover from knowing time he gave me my first beat check. I couldn't believe it. Brian, So you know you don't know how much beach you tell beats for. You don't know none of that. You just going and doing it. I gotta get I gotta get him a shot because real I never I didn't understand. I call it. Ryan say.
Speaker 6: One day he come to the studio, He like, you did this peak?
Speaker 5: I like yeah. He like, okay, how much you gonna charge me for it? I say, Man, I don't even know. I'm gonna be real with you, man, how much how much y'ld buy I need for?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying. Listen, I hope this ain't frond of the mount too much?
Speaker 5: Brand? Know how we get that? Ryan say, listen, I'm gonna tell the label you charged fifteen thousand dollars. I'm gonna give you ten.
Speaker 6: I say, run it, run it, run it, man, run it. You're gonna give me.
Speaker 5: This fuck fuck to me?
Speaker 1: You you ain't saying nothing but what's right?
Speaker 5: Hey, man?
Speaker 1: Sometimes you gotta give to get a man.
Speaker 5: I ain't all I knew that, Man said listen I'm gonna tell the label you charged fifteen thousand, you're gonna get ten thousand.
Speaker 3: I said, yes, I've had plenty of deals. Ay, man, where I got ain't nothing wrong with it. I said thirty and I got twenty.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm gonna put mine on top.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying. So that's when I start. Really you know, I'm hitting now.
Speaker 1: You know now you charged fifteen, Yeah, fifteen, that's your fo me. You know what I'm saying. Hey already bought.
Speaker 5: To Yeah yeah, you know, but they could, man, they might could have got a fire. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: All yeah, what's the street that real lifts the real life you two can have a beat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, real, So I was getting a little bit of placement. So but I still didn't really understand the value of a hit song. Yeah yeah, and really, man, the Christina Guilera dirt is on that really just came off, man for real. I ain't even like man like it was because I'm dope. She really just used to like hang around because you know, we having fun in the studio. She was she came down to Alema and this was she was still the pop princess. She came out here and got caught up in it.
Speaker 1: She said, got caught up.
Speaker 5: She got caught up in next thing, you know.
Speaker 1: She said, I my album dirty like she's feeling it.
Speaker 5: She turned it to that and then she said, I want to rock. This was she said, now this one, this one, I know how this one I know trooperstars called their plays. She say, the Red the Red Man that Met the Man videos video was on TV. She said, I need a beat like that.
Speaker 6: She got her management irving as off call rock.
Speaker 5: Wilder Rock wild. I sent the pack of beats and she listenew She's like, this is gonna be my single. She flew back to l A.
Speaker 6: She called me like when she got back to l A like, come out here, Jem. I had just di vibe. I got to beat. I know it's gonna be my single. Damn Manly, she ain't even really need me on the we we got to hang on Blabe, what's up?
Speaker 5: Blabel? Blair would have pretty much you know what I'm saying. They know Bla would have done laces that thing up and I walk in out. That's when I first met Blabel and Blay were like, oh she got enough. But men, he figured out I was cool. He was like, man, come on here to finish this bridge and woo yeah and that thing I know, man, she had a video in three weeks. I'm like, oh this is oh this that level, this that level man, she called the shot man. That Dirty came out and man and it did what it did. And that's when I found out what those performance Roytis was like this when I figured out would be in my asskout. Before I never knew I was signed up to be on my but I didn't know what it was for. I just the everybody just say you got to be signed to me on my ass gut.
Speaker 1: I was yeah.
Speaker 6: Then I figured out why, Oh, that's why you want.
Speaker 1: Perform when they start collecting money all over the world.
Speaker 5: I say this, this makes sense because you know you been still you hear people arguing over singles and hearing people I want to single war.
Speaker 6: I ain't never know why. Now I knew why.
Speaker 5: So Dirty was probably the first record I was a part of with with with everybody involved that really understood that was like, okay, that's kind of a hit.
Speaker 6: M hmm, yeah, that's come of the hit right now?
Speaker 1: Do the phone calls get different after get well?
Speaker 6: The thing about this. I don't know how this indugry works.
Speaker 5: If you just even attached to anything that looks a certain kind of way, people are gonna call you, you know what I mean, Like they're just gonna call you because they got dy version or whatever that is and they want something like that or whatever. So the phone calls, come man, can you come work with this and work with that?
Speaker 3: So yeah, it definitely helped, But you've become part of the conversation where it's like, Okay, this guy can deliver it here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he he ain't gonna make a look bad.
Speaker 1: And they're always going to give you a shot.
Speaker 5: Give me a shot.
Speaker 8: When you got your uh performance, run talk to them, you know, I see you know. Oh yeah you got you got your drip on? Oh yeah, those type of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you buy?
Speaker 6: Probably a whole bunch of ugly probably a whole probably and a.
Speaker 5: Bunch of chicken wing cheesecake factory, and a man, probably a bunch of ugly old clothes.
Speaker 1: Back then.
Speaker 5: That then the strip club heavy come on, So that's what?
Speaker 1: Which which one was you?
Speaker 5: Oh my god? What was at the Magic City? Was at the Blue Flame? Where we was at the gentleman club man we did.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, man, you put some girls through college.
Speaker 5: Man, you know what. I don't know if I did that much, but I showed him how to help him eat for a week or two. Yeah, yeah, and have some good times. Yeah. I showed her I wasn't spending that much money. You didn't because you know this before just before making rain.
Speaker 3: So we were so being meth hasn't at this mottill win Yeah a long way.
Speaker 6: It meant some man, you can still flip your sitting piecing it off man, yea. We having us a girl friend.
Speaker 5: For the night.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, come on. Then I was really meant oh.
Speaker 5: Man, and I went scared again at least fo'honand that one man that was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man was in there. I was.
Speaker 5: And now we're piercing the mouth. Well oh oh some club fired out of the table table dance.
Speaker 6: It was some ten.
Speaker 5: But man, we had some good times. Oh man, shooters alley Yeah yeah, flash back. Oh yeah, man, you know we was living it.
Speaker 1: We was in it. What ye what year is this?
Speaker 5: It's about two thousand and three and four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I was down here because we said noontime. I was down here early in ninety eight.
Speaker 6: And I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 5: I remember. I'm gonna tell you the first time I heard of you. I at the studio this when I first signed to Dallas. JQ come busting in the street and say, hey, man, I just met the most incredible slinger in the world. He's gonna take over.
Speaker 6: And I said, really, he said, and they called him he said, he said, he said, now he better than all us. JQ like, man, this man incredible.
Speaker 5: I say, like, Dad, he said, Man, listen when I'm telling you. He said, it's got tank man, He's incredible. And that's the first time I heard about you.
Speaker 6: He was like, man, wait, do y'all He because.
Speaker 5: He was working a new time a lot. He came around the corner. He was like, Man, wait, do y'all hear this dude?
Speaker 1: Man, wait, do y'all hears a noon time every day?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yes, Teddy bitch Teddy Cox because before be Cox.
Speaker 5: He he ain't got them twins. If he's blue, he's.
Speaker 3: Still like tinkering around. And I'm like, he got okay, all right? Because j Duve is the guy yo Jay Dub. He was on fire the original Rocks.
Speaker 6: He was out.
Speaker 5: Yes, he was on fire fire, Oh my god, he got Oh yeah, he was going crazy out here. Fire he was going crazy.
Speaker 1: And that's when I first met the Twins.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: And then be Cox was like, man, you gotta come over, you know C J D spot and yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'd go over to they to go over to Jermaine the Priest spot, the south Side beat, the Twins and basketball, you know, Jacked, you know, I don't know they want to talk about that story.
Speaker 5: We're talking about.
Speaker 8: Why are we talking about jadab though, Yeah, let's get this out. Me and Tank did not know each other at this point, and he is not saying this. Jay in the beginning of Slowly people.
Speaker 1: People, Jamie j great come on, because j played every instrument he was on that special. He was in his draws.
Speaker 3: Man, I don't know why that man was why that's that's that's where he found the vibe.
Speaker 1: He found he found in his draws found.
Speaker 3: He didn't when he played the track for me, he said, I said, well, you know, where's the where's the session for?
Speaker 1: He said, I lost it and back then listening to session so yeah, two track. Oh, yes, that's what I'm talking it's the two track off CD.
Speaker 5: Well, we got to do it what we got?
Speaker 1: They never do that, I said, I said, whatever, Slowly is a two track, that's amazing, two track off CD. I said, there's no way you can reproduce this.
Speaker 6: Y'all bounce it down the two track or did y'all do it in pro tools?
Speaker 1: I sang this on this might have been the first song I sing in pro tools. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Slowly might be the first song I sing in pro toos wy wow wow, because everything else before that was to no separate tracks on Slowly, that's what that's your amazing.
Speaker 6: That mix had to be on that CD for you to be able to use it like that.
Speaker 1: He wasn't gonna be able to do that again, ever, I said, I don't care.
Speaker 3: I don't care. I don't care if it's peaking, I don't care. What the imperfection you ain't gonna be able to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We rolled around l A and he it's bends with them Law and hert rims for a week listening to that track, eating that PF chain, chain man, having Apple Martine. That's borrowing money from FLINTI giving us big paper in the city. Yeah, Yeah, New Times. Crazy that that that moment right there, like that was that was so and that was so needed for me to But you weren't a part.
Speaker 5: Of I went a part of New Time. So what happened was it just so happened that the first time I used to see them around the city all time. What up, Nooney? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: What up? Chris?
Speaker 5: You know, I just see them around the city all the time. But they had started popping off with their producers, so I used to go with there. I was trying to write, So they'll have they'll try to link their producers up, they'll bring that tapes beats on there and so. But when I first then when I started doing the beats, that's when Ryan came start buying them from me too, you know what I mean. So we used to always go around each other and be around each other all the time.
Speaker 1: What was you making your b tongue?
Speaker 5: Yeah? You see two thousand excels? Yeah, yeah, a good old try.
Speaker 1: You started a two thousand excels Yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: Triting to try and I had to try, And then I had the mom what that module was that had our planet fast.
Speaker 6: Planet fat what's that other one that eighty I had?
Speaker 8: You know, like yeah, it was really like the starter studio producer packed up everybody when you were like, yo, I want to start by Okay you need ten yep, yeah yeah no.
Speaker 1: PC, it's a pack, it's a planet.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, it's a thing we started off. Yeah yeah, yeah, that was the kick. What what made you feel like you could produce like that? That's that's what I want to ask you, because you had your writing on. What made you think, you know what, I can figure this production out there? Somebody giving you the information like how you said Dallas kind of brought you in and just showed you the ropes?
Speaker 1: Was it from him or who was that from?
Speaker 5: Definitely him? Because for real the first time. So when I first met doubt it is the first thing I did was play songs on piano and sang the songs to him.
Speaker 6: That's why he wanted to sign.
Speaker 5: Me, like, oh you're one hundred percent so here like oh you don't really need nobody, But I wasn't all the way good on the beat.
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 5: What happened was he let me sit around him, and he let me sit around the studio. Then I really learned by watching everybody how they did the beats. Then I had a room in at the time who he had got an MPC two thousand, Jeff, and he was an intern at the studio, so he was my roommate. So I practiced at home with him and then but I knew I could produce because for real, what the producer. The reason I started getting placement was because the producers could give me the track and I produced everybody vocals and I could make people sound good. And that learned early on. If you can get artists to sound good, they always want to work with you. Yeah, And it was harder to do back then. You know, you had to really vocal produce back then. Yeah, so every artist used to. So the producers started being like, that's what gonna write my songs because they ain't got to sit there with me and produce it. I'm a vocal producer. I'm gonna do it all. And so then after that it's like, man, I can already play, I can already vocal produce all.
Speaker 6: I gott dudes learn how to work this NPC the right way, and that's it.
Speaker 5: And so that's what I did. I practiced on the MPC for a little while, and then I'm like, okay, my ears put it all together, start fine tuning it, and then I start making beats, and man, they like they're gonna bite it your beats. Okay, well it must be good enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Cool. Did the beat that you sold did it ever come out?
Speaker 5: Ever came out?
Speaker 1: Just got your check? I just got my check your front end fron got Yeah, you have the four teen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he gave me to full ten.
Speaker 1: Yep, that was back then.
Speaker 5: He gave me the full thing. It wasn't even on front and back because he needed his five. Yeah, because he needed five.
Speaker 1: Pushed that through.
Speaker 5: Push it on cool. So it never even came out on that artist. It never even came out. And then after that it just started flowing.
Speaker 8: So you got derdy going, Yeah, when does like the full run kick in? Where is it is it Lloyd that kicks.
Speaker 1: It off for you?
Speaker 5: We'll see what happened with Llyd he throughout this whole time, Lord always still with me. Lloyd ended up losing his group record deal. But Lloyd was up early pre teen, but he was getting in trouble because Lord always been edged, so he was getting in trouble in school he was getting arrested and all that.
Speaker 6: So his mama was Lloyd Yeah, so Lloyd like Lloyd Yeah. So Lord was like you know.
Speaker 5: So his yeah, you know sor his mama used to be like johs. But let him come to the studio with child. So she'll send him to the studio with us, my brother and we'll go pick him up. He ain't gonna be and my brother and my cousin to keep him out of trouble. Just bring him to the studio, you know what I'm saying. So we started doing demos for him just because we just doing songs, and then he get a solo deal. So by him getting when when I send out the songs we was doing, he end up getting a solo deal. This was Matgic Johnson though this is Matt Johnson had his label ship, so he was signing Match Johnson. But in the time we finished during the album, none of the songs came out because Maggie Johnson decided to cut his label off. Well those same songs we had. So one day he in the studio and he was like, uh, he just hanging with me every dayt the studio. He just coming up being me, so he won't get in trouble.
Speaker 1: So Magic didn't pay for the demo. Practically, yeah back, Oh.
Speaker 6: He prayed for a whole album. Oh, mag of them played good.
Speaker 5: What do our things work out? So we had so now we had an album that for for good songs. So what happened was he was in the lawd was in the studio, hanging out every day with us. No, he just Lord was always mature for his aide. So people didn't the girl.
Speaker 1: But at this point he's still a teenager.
Speaker 5: He's still a teenager. He and I'm not fifteen to sixteen, you know what I'm saying. So one day he coming, Dondelle Jones got a session. So Dundelle Jones got a session at dark because you know Dallas used to run out of the studio. So done that. So so Mark pitts his A and R. So Mark Pitt's come in and he see Lloyd because you know he see him me. He a little young, he like a little hood dude with and he say, ask Lord, man what you do? He said, Man, I sang Mark Peces like no way you sing, no way, no way you sing. He got sign he said, you got songs. So he said Jospeer. So you know, I'm always in the studio one where songs at. So I said, I got our songs right here. So we go in the room. Mark Pitts heard them songs. Mark Pitce say no way. Mark Pitts jumped on the phone, try to call La. These same demo songs were the first songs Lloyd came out with, which was Hey Young Girl in the south Side.
Speaker 6: Them them all these songs.
Speaker 1: Yd.
Speaker 5: He was fifteen John So Matt Magic songs, Matti Johnson paid Yeah. So yeah, so he Gooyd had south Side, he had, he had a Hey Young Girl and all that shit stuff and the other songs I had did. So when Mark Pitts heard all them songs, Mark pitt was like, man, we gotta sign you. So he called l A. He set up with me for Lord to go to l A mean and go to meet with La. So Lloyd about sixteen. At this point, so Lloyd he do he do the meaning he was about to go to New York to do that, meaning, I'm doing a real fast version of you, okay. And so while he was up there about supposed to do his meeting with La Reid, Lloyd, Lloyd's attorney Ron Sweeney, his IRV Gotti. Hey, I got this jumboll over here. He about to go meet with La Red, but you need to come see him before he go do that meeting with La Red. You need to come see this boy.
Speaker 1: Murder is on fire.
Speaker 5: Well at this point, it's kind of it's if this one fifty first coming up.
Speaker 1: So it was like a little yeah, I thought he was okay, but they had they're gonna fight.
Speaker 6: You know, they were still the biggest, they were still like it's still like.
Speaker 5: Crazy, you know what I'm saying. So when Layd went to New York, we was all sitting back at home, like waiting to let us know how to l A Rea because we're gonna get us a you know, we gonna us l A Reed deal, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So he called me and.
Speaker 5: Said, hey, chap Man, I'm at a shunty platinum party. Said, man, what you're doing all the shunting platinum party? He said, Man, earth got it. I think IRV wanna sign me? I said, IRV wanna sign you? He's like yeah, And so we're like, wow, we thinking he gonna better get sign to La Reid. HERV intercepted through Ryn Sweeney the lawyer, because he was Earth lawyer too. So Ryn Swingey put that call Earth come get him. So Earth boom. So the next week, Earth fly down because Earth come believe like this young boy wrote these songs and all he got all this. Let me see if it's real. So Earth fled down to meet all his friends, which is us, my cousin, and it's real. He's like, oh, this is what he around. Oh he looked at her a little hood. Oh he for real and ear shot that video so quick.
Speaker 6: For he moved Lord up.
Speaker 5: He took Lord up to New York to do about five or six more songs and shot that video for he put a shunt on the south side because at first she wasn't on south side. It was his cousin.
Speaker 6: He put a shunt on the south side and it was on way bigger than me.
Speaker 5: Man like, for real, Man, I couldn't design none of this, the stuff, the stuff I've been messed it up. I couldn't design none of this that. I can't design it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, a right, we get to you up here, find it.
Speaker 5: He finally finding the key.
Speaker 1: Will that be one? Will there be one?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: M h m hm.
Speaker 1: Chasm, yes, sir, Micheur, Big Love. Yeah. H we want to know here, but we want to know chief. Top five, your top five mm hmm, top.
Speaker 3: Five, your top five RB singer whatever, Why are the songs?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, big Love, You've got You've seen I know you, yes, yeah right, but with Ray Charles, Ray Charles, that was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, brother, big Love, Yes, sir, Your top five R and B singer hmm.
Speaker 6: Okay, this is this is my own personal now. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: The world your world, the top five most influential RB singles on me and I listened to you know, I want to just put a prerequisite. You know, we can always do the Michael Jacksons and the Princess and and and you know what I'm saying, We gonna always do them, but I'm gonna try to go off a little bit off kill too for the ones that really influenced me. Besides yeah, besides Michael and Prince because they touch everybody soul. That Bobby Brown, the truth, the blueprint, Yes, sir, the blueprint. People don't know a lot of the post. Barbara Brown was way different than beginning than before. Bobby He changed the game. You got to give Bobby them two dances.
Speaker 6: Behind you dancing, nasty dancing and singing. That's the hunting and all of that Bobby.
Speaker 5: So when you see us, when you see Chris and you see all of them, Bobby with the blueprint for that Bobby because you know, you know, Mike was a different thing. He was out of this world. Bobby brought you to the hood. So you see r Kelly, he got some of that Bobby in it. You know what I'm saying. When you see all of them, you know they got that Bobby in them. So I'm gonna say, Boby Brown, just for me, for you, Keith Sweat change the game. When you hear that eight a wait in them slow songs, the first one to do that thing, Keith Sweat, that make the laugh for ever able that him and Teddy did change the game.
Speaker 1: The sweat, the sweat man.
Speaker 5: You can'tnot keep sweat. You can't cannot keep sweat, you know, yeah, yeah, put.
Speaker 1: His hands out. He tried not keep sweating the super all the super freaking songs, but he did for Silk that.
Speaker 3: Freakment a producer, writer and owner, owner way before anybody.
Speaker 5: Even sometimes I don't think people get Key Sweat was the right way. Get Key Sweat, Star money. They don't know, they don't know, and we're gonna make sure make sure they know. Many changed the game. So the way y'all hear R and B music when y'all start hanging with the super deep eight away, Okay, everybody had that.
Speaker 6: That deep basing and like rap songs. That's Keith Sweat.
Speaker 1: Man, keep going, keep going.
Speaker 5: Let me see influence me. I'm gonna take it up to R. Kelly. Why not game changer for sure? Game changer, change the game to after game changing. Man, you can't take it. You know, whatever you got going, But man, you can't take away them songs. Man, you can't take away the performances. You can't take away the flavor he brought to the world. You can't take it.
Speaker 6: On the teleent side, you can't take that away. You gotta get it to it.
Speaker 3: You can't take away the the the amount of inspiration, come on, man, the amount of gifts that were birthed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as a result of.
Speaker 5: What he was doing, our killing man wouldn't be we wouldn't room, we wouldn't be like we are because well, you know, we come from the generation of talking different with our R and b PN, but we kind of, you know, we come from after that. We could we're gonna talk like that.
Speaker 1: We could talk about we talk.
Speaker 5: Yeah, shut up, shut up.
Speaker 1: I don't never want to hear.
Speaker 5: I will never knew, I said, yeah, shut up, yeah, yeah, man, the true man gotta give it to him.
Speaker 1: Man. Yeah, that's three.
Speaker 5: That's three, babyface. Man, come on, man, that's this baby face my last one. It's a it's a combination. But I'm gonna tell you why. Charlie Willison, m Charlie Willison, Uncle Charlie. Let me tell y'all something. This whole generation of us that do all them runs and all that stuff we bit off. Charlie Wilson, Aaron Hall wanted to be Charlie Wilson. Arkella wanted to be Aaron Hall. Keller wanted to be Aaron Aaron Hall wanted to be Charlie Wilson the way Charlie will was.
Speaker 6: And then this, this is why I got to come up, because guess what Charlie Wilson wanted to say, like.
Speaker 5: Steven Wonder the game, so the way we sing all these runs and I knew and not Aaron all of that Charlie Wilson really, but he was getting from Steven Wonder, So that's why I said, but I don't think they, but but Charlie Wilson, the way he sing like man, come on, man, like for real, the way that guy from Oh My Word to this day boy. Yeah, yeah, all I wanted to hit them runs like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris, and most of us can't. We can't see at all for most of us. That is. That's different way, different love. Yeah. Yeah, I like where you're going your top five R and B songs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's like pulling my heart out. I'm gonna tell you my first one. If I'm going by pure Field, I gotta give a Lately by Steven Wan of that that was remade by huh Josi't gonna tell you why if you listen to the words and Lately, the only person that could have wrote that was Steven Wander or another blind man because the lyrics he's saying far more frequently, you're wearing perfume to say, no special place to go. The only way he knows she going out and all that because he's smell of perfume. He can't see what she's going. He don't know. She got on. He got to do.
Speaker 1: That's the only way she's going.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 6: Come on, I can smell the perfume, man, ain't nobody can he on.
Speaker 3: He's not about what she's wearing. See that.
Speaker 6: I can smell your perfume. More frequently you're wearing her perfume. This is really my my favorite Michael Jackson song.
Speaker 5: Is this right here? For real? Lady in my life? And then like I said, as we lay, I got to say, as we that's the first that's the first record I asked my mama to buy me with that feel on it like that, So as we lay and Man for real, cry for you Jo Tosy, you better do it man. When I heard that, When I heard that cry for you, man.
Speaker 1: I said, whoa life changing? Yes, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 6: Like I'm a crop of you. They're saying the softest thing in the world, but in the hardest way.
Speaker 5: Come on, and I gotta do this song right here, man, even though it was another song on the on the album, but this whole album, Man, change my life to that any heartbreak?
Speaker 6: Can you stand? Can you stand the rain?
Speaker 5: And can you stand the rain?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 8: That song?
Speaker 5: And they coming home I can put them between one combo. Can you stand the ring that coming Home?
Speaker 3: I don't care if you put the whole album and the whole album man Heartbreakers.
Speaker 6: Man that Jam and Lewis. Man, come on, man, who do it better than them?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 5: Man? They changed the game?
Speaker 1: Man? Your R and B volt Trump?
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, perfect R and B singer, your arm your your perfect, your super hero.
Speaker 1: I want to know who you're gonna get the vocal from? Okay?
Speaker 3: The performance style, yeah, the styling of the artists, yeah, in the heart of the artists, the passion of the artists. And then, because you are a writer producer often at this part right here, who's going to produce and write the songs?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You didn't know that was co Yeah, get tricky right there. All right, So let's start with the vocal for your vult trump. Who you get the vocal from?
Speaker 5: The vocal for my R and B volt trying. I'm gonna say Whitney and I'm gonna say Michael, because they got the perfect vocal. They can sing soul and they could sing pop. They can they could they can sing anything, yeah, and make it their own. And they can take a song no matter what genre it is, and you're gonna you're gonna they generalists, you know what I mean. So that's why I like their vocal tones. That's why like Whitney Vocaltone. That's why like Michael Vocaltone, because well it's like the same thing. I like the same thing about both of them. I like that by Beyonce too, But I'm just gonna say, you know what I'm saying, Beyonce got that too.
Speaker 1: Performance style.
Speaker 5: Man, I'm gonna tell you that. I got to give it to Bobby Brown again. But I'm gonna tell you why he changed my life. How nasty he was on stage. That man used to dance so hard, man and go so hard on stage, get kicked out the stage and all that. I'm gonna say Bobby, But really, Bobby kind of was a He was kind of a James Brown too, because James I was funking nasty like that too, So they kind of had that same kind of thing.
Speaker 8: I always say something about that Brown name, Yeah, James Brown, Bobby Brown Brown, and.
Speaker 6: I would put Chris to but I know Chris, he had the river of Bobby. So like I think they got Chriss.
Speaker 1: Bobby, And yeah, you know what I'm saying, so he Michael Brown, what career?
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying. So I'm gonna say that too.
Speaker 1: Styling of the artist, the drip, the drip. Who is gonna drip? Like?
Speaker 5: Man, I'm gonna tell you who had the ultimate drip. And I got to give it to this man because for real, he would wear things that only he could pull off. And you can say nothing about it. Prince, the thing you could that man and for real, man like he won't. He he will what he wanted to well when he wanted to wear. And you if you uncomfortable, then that you're on you.
Speaker 1: He added the motorcycle to it. Yeah, he motorcycle is really important.
Speaker 5: Yeah he had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he brought all the purple. It was important.
Speaker 8: But you know what, and the guitar and guitar because because Richard was on the piano, but standing with the guitars.
Speaker 5: But I'm gonna tell you somebody was a little bit before Prince. They kind of set it up for him. Rick James.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Rick James, you know what I mean, Like, you know, you know Prince got a little game from Rick.
Speaker 5: Yeah. It helps me with the lift tars, with the faith frame, with the glitter and with that good tar. Yeah, Rick Rick, call forget about.
Speaker 1: Rick Gamey, Rick James.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: The passion of the artist, the heart of the artists.
Speaker 5: The passion, Oh my god, man, the passion man, you know who I got to give it to because in this day and time, I know how hard it is to keep going no matter what you go through. The passion. I got to go to Chris Brown, listen to him.
Speaker 6: Man, Ain't nobody, Man, Le'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 1: Nobody's gonna argue that.
Speaker 5: Really, when that boy came back from you know, we all you're gonna go through our things. We're gonna go through issues. You know, we're gonna you know, we're gonna make mistakes. But for him to fight back from where he had a fail from and how they tried to and he had to go back to doing those mixed tapes and he had to grind his way back up and figure it all out to get back. You know, I think it made him a better artist. And I'm gonna be honest with you, I kind of believe he's still here right now because he learned from that how to be tough, how do certain things? Certain things?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 5: You seeing the dog you never gonna see in the light. So when you kind of he's battle tested. So he had the things he had to figure out how to keep hisself going. Really it talking about to survive without a label. No matter hey man, no matter who around, no matter what you man, you.
Speaker 8: Love me, you will pull up at the record plan. And you just saw him recreating himself.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: He was in that studio.
Speaker 5: It's not easy thing.
Speaker 8: Three months every day, every day, every night. I'm talking about the tattoo artists in there.
Speaker 1: You got everything that he needs in that studio.
Speaker 8: And he would play them songs and I'd be like, I would just go by every other night and just it was a new batch of eighty songs. It takes a passion, takes that when everybody is telling you it's over, it's over.
Speaker 5: And we all know how hard that is in this game with man, when people stop answering the calls, when they look at.
Speaker 6: You, it's done.
Speaker 3: Step further, when they stopped answering the calls and then they calling other people to tell them not.
Speaker 1: To answer the call.
Speaker 6: How gangs to that?
Speaker 3: He is?
Speaker 1: Come on, man, who's.
Speaker 3: Writing for this and or producing for this artist or who's the writer producer, because you know we do both.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: You might have.
Speaker 5: You know, man, the writer producer for this artist. Man, its joint to joint win Babyface in l A or Jam Jam and Lewis.
Speaker 1: You know well you will not men.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's great weight. That's a great way.
Speaker 5: Yeah man, that's a great way. Yeah yeah man.
Speaker 1: But while you're here, we got a very very y special segment.
Speaker 8: Yeah, give him a little bit, come on, give me just give him a little taste of what we got coming up.
Speaker 3: Man, Chief, what is it called? I ain't saying no nigga. I ain't saying no names. I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 1: I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 5: Who is weird?
Speaker 4: What you did?
Speaker 1: Don't say? I ain't saying no name.
Speaker 5: We got so many of them here, we do.
Speaker 1: I know you dude.
Speaker 8: So right now, Yeah, we're getting to Jasper. Yeah, big love, street love, Yes, all the love. Yeah, I ain't saying no names. The story can be funny, are fucked up? Are funny and fucked.
Speaker 1: We like those? Okay. The only rule to the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't say no name can't say I'm about to give y'all.
Speaker 3: Too oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, let me sit up in my chair when you're feeling and you're feeling it.
Speaker 5: So it was early in this rapper's career, rapper from around the career, he was dating a young R and B single. He was dating his young R and B singer that but this young R and B singer had just broke up with another R and B got from another group. So you know, you know, it be transitioning, it be weird. You know, when you transition it from one, you know, the crossover can get weird. So when the studio one night, so this young rapper he got his pistol on it and he looked at me, and you know everybody, you know, we people kind of know what's going on. And he looked at me and he was like, man, you know what, man, you know what, bitch, Oh man, this pissol I got can shoot through this wall. Imagine what it due to an R and B.
Speaker 1: Nigga, Oh shit.
Speaker 5: That Ralpherds said, this pistol right here, man, that by the pistol right here shoot through their wall.
Speaker 6: Imagine what it'll do to an R and B nigga.
Speaker 1: That's a threat. Ship.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh, I hope this don't go no further. He is not playing now, he wasn't playing like you know what I mean, like you know, and you know everybody in close proximity, so you know, people gonna see it to ship. Yeah, that was funny.
Speaker 3: Still alive, all them stuff, all them still like we just want to make sure everybody.
Speaker 1: I still going right, right, and I know you un comfortable though that moment.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm like, oh, it's for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm doing big dogs working the little nigga in the world.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, he's worth it.
Speaker 5: You don't got to do that.
Speaker 1: You don't got to do that.
Speaker 5: Y'all supposed to be from Yeah, you know, yeah, you got it now, you ain't got to do that.
Speaker 1: Come on, black man, there's a man and a woman involved. We are no longer man that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got to wear that.
Speaker 6: I got one more so, I mean one at this time. This is one of my homies.
Speaker 5: He got one of the biggest rappers in the world at this time. So this time we had this career working. So we're working on songs, working on songs. All of a sudden, I see a little dog one down step.
Speaker 6: Like dog that is right there.
Speaker 5: That ain't no man dog. He ain't kind of got to have no dog like that. So the next thing I know, I said, R and B girl walk from up them steps and down. Hey, y'all's up to get the dog. But the trick was, I knew that this girl was dating the whole nother guy, and.
Speaker 1: So I'm like another rapper.
Speaker 5: He was in the rap world.
Speaker 6: He was in the rap world. He's in the rap world.
Speaker 5: So my partner, the rapper, look at me and started smiling, laughing, it's just gigging, and.
Speaker 6: I said, oh man, this ga'lood.
Speaker 5: Close blooded. It eventually came out later on, but it was that that was one of the moments when you see a dog come running down steps, you know, in his mansion whever. The dog come running down to me, like who dog is this?
Speaker 1: Pistols and dogs, Oh yeah, pistols.
Speaker 6: And then and then we were like and then our answer was soon coming down those steps, and we was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we man.
Speaker 5: He look at I think we've all been there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, y'all, y'all know, y'all I've been down.
Speaker 5: We're like, okay.
Speaker 3: The new debut albums do some little dogs.
Speaker 6: Like I say, hey that cross over be a food cross over, food transition.
Speaker 3: It's so small, it's so it's and everybody just has to like be cool like you got you, we got.
Speaker 1: We all know what we like.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't see nothing, I don't know nothing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've had to stand at the next table between the nigga I just seen her with and her man.
Speaker 5: Oh that's a dog. That's a terrible.
Speaker 8: And then him showed me the text that she's texting him from the other table with her.
Speaker 5: Man, that's a cold, cold game. That's a cold game.
Speaker 1: Chack R and B.
Speaker 6: You gotta love the.
Speaker 3: Game, thought what you better respect? You gotta respect of the jacket or get collected.
Speaker 1: Yes, the game is gonna pay.
Speaker 5: The game is gonna The game is gonna be here, man, the player is gonna move around chain.
Speaker 1: I don't put nothing past no man.
Speaker 5: Man, you gotta love, you gotta take it all.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna say you fool me at all?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Well brother Jess, Yes, sir, brother, big love.
Speaker 5: Thank y'all.
Speaker 1: Man, we appreciate you for kicking this off for us.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: You know, I think we needed your energy man, come on, welcoming, welcoming us, Come on, y'all come man, Yeah, because you really you really, you really the soil.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, and George's man, I hear I like, man, I gotta get on that with y'all. Man, we gotta talk talk.
Speaker 1: You know, we're gonna need some subtitles, you know, you know something.
Speaker 5: And I subconsciously like, let me try to make sure I'm kill.
Speaker 1: Everybody. I know they can watching like what he's saying. Again, I need I need a.
Speaker 5: Translator, call it patoir. I still, I'm like, man, I'm not said a conscious effort. I said, Man, I'm gonna try.
Speaker 3: To talk like I said, a conscious you know, he said, I said a conscious effort, Yeah, saying conscious.
Speaker 1: In my mind. No, no, I love it. You missed some words to go with. I said, a conscious, I said conscious. I said, I love it all. I love it all. Thank you pray. This is why we wanted you hear them.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people and people need to you know, you are great people. Hear the music, man, people hear the music. People are dancing to the music. People have you know, as as you say, music stamps a moment in time, and people have that to your songs, to your to your creativity, and they need to know who you are, who's responsible for that.
Speaker 1: Man, And that's what we're here for. Man.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it, man, you know what I'm saying. Appreciated your spirit. They say, that's a good brother. Spread the love and in our in our movements, good people finished.
Speaker 5: Man all the time.
Speaker 3: So, my brother, I'm time. And this is the R and B Money podcast, the authority on all things R and B. And if you didn't feel the love today, then you just wasn't trying to because we had big love.
Speaker 1: And the building. Yeah yeah, R and B Money.
Speaker 8: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, is it the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts are, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows, don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show and you can connect with us on social media at Jay Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com or slash R and B Money