Speaker 1: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 2: It was the new game day scratches from the California Lottery players.
Speaker 3: Everything.
Speaker 2: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 1: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 2: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game. That's all for now, Coach, One more question.
Speaker 4: Play the new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine Ers and Los Angeles Ram scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace made responsibly. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase late or claim.
Speaker 5: My graduates from my school being forced bad drop bag drop, Mike drop bad drop drops.
Speaker 6: All right, guys, welcome back, Eyl. This is an episode that I'm excited about. So I heard about these guys probably last year and before the pandemic, I believe.
Speaker 7: And it was an interesting story.
Speaker 6: And we was in communication because we had an event in Philly and it was playing on linking up at the event and the event had to get shut down two days before the event.
Speaker 8: Crazed as a corona. You know what's the crazy part of the story. Damon John was in town and we were kind of using that as a barometer, and they went to see dam John to meet him and they were like, I don't know if we're gonna be able to do this guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So so, but everything happens for a reason.
Speaker 6: So I got tagged in a post about a couple of weeks ago and reached out and I'm like, yo, I think now's a good time to do this podcast if you interested. So Aaron and David Cabello, twins out of Well, grew up in many places. We're currently based that right outside of Philadelphia and kind of made their name in Philadelphia twenty six twenty six years old entrepreneurs. So they have the company Black and Mobile. So I hate to can pick one company to another company. So it's the Uber Eats for black businesses if I can. So they're young entrepreneurs and they're created an app where just like Uber Eat, you can or grub Hub you can order from a restaurant. But the difference is that all of the restaurants on the app are black owned restaurants.
Speaker 9: Right correct, well, bakeries, you know, anything black on that sells food.
Speaker 6: So they've scaled it to that right now that in Atlanta, they're in Baltimore and in Philadelphia, and they're about to.
Speaker 7: Come to Brooklyn, New York August.
Speaker 8: New York.
Speaker 6: Have one hundred restaurants in the in the system. They're looking to grow it and it's an interesting story about entrepreneurship. They had to go through Corona, they had to deal with tech issues, they had to build the platform, delivery drivers, all of that stuff. So now they have a thriving business. I believe over half a million dollars in revenue. So congratulations on that.
Speaker 8: Appreciate sneeze at that.
Speaker 6: This is right up our alley Man. So first and foremost, congratulations, thank you for joining.
Speaker 3: Us, Thanks for having appreciate you.
Speaker 7: It's a pleasure.
Speaker 8: This is this is the first first time we had brothers on and twins and twins in second, so all right, let's.
Speaker 7: Jump into this.
Speaker 6: So this is an interesting idea, right, So how did you think about because a lot of time people think about like starting the business, and it's something that nobody has ever done before, but it does isn't necessarily the only way to start a business. You can start a business that's already in business and just add your own little tweak to it.
Speaker 7: So that's kind of what you guys did.
Speaker 9: Honestly, I had no idea of like saying I want to be the first to do this. I wasn't trying to do that. I was just trying to help black people. We literally drop out of college to go help our people. It's like, whatever we can do. You know, we had an awakening in the college.
Speaker 3: He teach him business. He taught me.
Speaker 9: He taught me enlightenment, you know, so he taught me and that's why we work together. So we learned that we dropped out and really it was to help black black businesses anywhere we could. So we started working out a black business. What we found is that, you know, we have to get a side job. You know, it wasn't enough. So we started delivering for Postmaids and then Uber Easy and Caviard, And while delivering for these companies, you know, we're trying to look for black owned restaurants to support and eat. We knew about five of them, but like there got to be more than five black on restaurants in there. And then we're on Uber East and stuff. We're not picking up from any black on restaurants. It's every few, you know, because we're in Center City. So I'm like, there got to be a way to find more.
Speaker 3: Black on restaurants. So that's when I came up.
Speaker 9: When I'm making it eleven hundred dollars in a week on thirty hours of work, part time delivering food on the bike, I'm like, if I can make this much money delivering food, how much could I make at my owners company? And how much can I bring to our community and hire my own people. So that's where the idea came from. And then I'm like, and I can find black on restaurants. So that's where it all sparked, and that's why I just literally began like every day researching, like I gotta find more black restaurants. And I got to put this together myself. I taught myself shopify, my own website, design my own app. Everything was really just helped connect black people with with you know, with our business, because that's the only way we're gonna survive.
Speaker 8: I don't want to discount something that you just said. You were doing this on a bike two wheels, So a lot of times people make excuses, I don't have a car, I can't do it. Where did this level of determination come from.
Speaker 9: Honestly, we were just excited. You can deliver food on a bike. I'm sorry, I can deliver you can deliver food on the bike. We're athletic, we're you know, fit, We're like that's perfect for us. Like we'll fit right in and it's very easy actually, you know, and then you can upgrade so and I'll let you bite, which I have now, so like it's levels to it. But we've always had a lot of energy, like so this day, I just we're just energetic people.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 9: We like like going down to Sandersville and seeing our people still working out there, like they like they still doing like just farming and stuff like that, Sandersville, Georgia. Yeah, so like we went down there and we met our family for the first time and like just seeing them still working, Like I see, that's what we get.
Speaker 3: You also from you know, our mom just a hustle.
Speaker 9: You know, we have to you know, we were raised by a single parents, so we have to learn how to go make money.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 9: I got a little trouble back then, but it was all from hustling, you know, selling packs of gum. Unfortunately stealing stuff, but you know.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that.
Speaker 9: But it was all because I had had to get more, you know, like I wasn't content with where I was.
Speaker 3: So that's really all it was.
Speaker 9: Just determination is because we need we need to be in a better position in life, and we need to help our people be in a better position.
Speaker 3: That's really all that comes down to.
Speaker 9: And really for me personally, it was looking someone who fails in the eyes, and you don't want to feel that, you don't.
Speaker 3: Want to see that.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, David, Thanks David.
Speaker 9: You don't want to just that feeling, but I have to see that person. I don't want I don't want to experience that, and I don't want my son to ever see me like that either. So that was really like that was the changing moment for me, like just can't fail.
Speaker 6: So let's puel it back a little bit. I want to get the business model. But before that, so you had them. So you had an awakening in college. So all right, break this down. How old were you and what made you really want to dive into you know, black and power of it.
Speaker 9: So I first got to college, I'm just college, Shippensburg University.
Speaker 3: I'm just kind of there.
Speaker 9: Because he convinced me to come. I really didn't want to go, but you know, I'm there. I'm in geography class. I really love geography, maps and just learning about the world. And for the first time in my life, I heard something positive about Africa. The way this white woman was just describing just there's so much resources, there's so much positive energy. It just it's the way she described it. It's just a little The littlest thing she said to me sparked.
Speaker 3: My entire body. I never forget the moment. I'm just sitting there like I can't believe this.
Speaker 9: I felt robbed, I felt cheated that I've been to all these schools of my life and nobody taught me this, my mom no one, just like it was hidden from me. So every since that day, I went to my room. I just researched everything. I listened to new music, I just read books. I just I did everything I could to change myself because I felt like I was just so behind and that energy that he had, like I wasn't like that.
Speaker 3: I was going, I was partying, drinking. I'm like talking.
Speaker 8: About brother, my brother.
Speaker 3: On that.
Speaker 9: But it eventually got to me because I've been a trouble kid. My whole life, like in and out of schools, getting expelled, held back, almost got kicked out of college.
Speaker 3: So when I'm seeing him, like almost.
Speaker 9: Got kicked out of conscious semester, I about to go over here with him and see what he talking about. So that's when it all started, where he was teaching me all this stuff. I'm like, I'm like, I never knew about this, you know, like same thing our mom never taught us, our grandma, Like no one ever taught us any of this stuff about black empowerment, like we knew. Of course, everyone knows about racism, but it's more than racism and slavery, like we contribute to so much more.
Speaker 3: So learned about all that. That's what really sparked the enlightening in me.
Speaker 9: And we just kind of from there just changed ourselves, you know, just from everything from the food we want to eat, to the music to just respecting women more. I'm not saying we disrespected women, but you you start to love women more, respecting your mom more about what they went through, and just everything everything just everything changed about it.
Speaker 8: So party enlightenings that you said, I'm out of here, we're dropping were.
Speaker 9: Left next to I mean, we knew he was gonna win, but it was just more like, we see what this country is, so we just got.
Speaker 3: To go do it.
Speaker 9: We have to do for our people. And you need to tell him about the National Guard. Tell him what happened on the National Girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 9: I was going to the National Guard and I was just trying to find money to you know, support myself, and I just knew there was something not right about it. But I have to hear from another black man. And I went to this community meeting and he was in the National Guard. He was saying, look, bro, leave today, like don't wait and I get back. You know, there was some instances that happened. You know, they're spitting at me, you know, just they're very rude there. But you know they have to train you with that. But I had to write this paper to leave. And I wrote this huge paper and just explain why I wanted to leave, why I don't want to do this, why I don't want to fight for you guys, you know all that stuff. And he comes back, he slams the paper. He says, his Black Lives Matter ship is fucking stupid. You're dumb, You're worthless, You're never gonna be anything. You're gonna end up just like the rest of them.
Speaker 3: And from that point I just shut up and just sat there and just let him just go in this rank of how you lost, just give up. It's done.
Speaker 9: So ever since that day, it was just like it was a little more of like a push to keep going.
Speaker 7: So it was like the Joe sergeant was Drill sergeant.
Speaker 6: So so all right, So then so from there you you decide, all right, you're going full fledged with the with the black empowerment and you're working for take cavia right.
Speaker 9: Yes, which is like an uber eats exactly. So we started with postmas uber than Caviar.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so while you're working, you have an epiphany that why don't you just start your own business exactly? So what is what's the first steps that you did to start black and Mobile.
Speaker 9: I designed my own website in shopifire. So that was the first step because I really know how to do that from like the last six months. So I designed that, and then it was really research in the market. It took a lot of hours to like research everything that they're doing one and then coming to see like, oh, there's no black owned food delivery services on that level. So it was first that and then really just starting like that's the major thing where, you know, for a couple of months, I'm like, how are we're gonna do that? Trying to get a restaurants signed up. No one wanted to sign up in Philly, and a big restaurant out there she signed up, and everything changed from there.
Speaker 3: You know, people knew about us, you know, but it was hard to get started, you.
Speaker 7: Know, getting the restaurants signed up.
Speaker 8: What's that process?
Speaker 9: The process process is really just honestly go in there and act if they want to sign u Let's say they want to sign up. You know, we use social media email, but let's say they want to sign up. They really just create an application for all out their menu, download the restaurant apps so they can accept the client orders.
Speaker 3: And that's it.
Speaker 8: So you didn't actually you didn't actually go in there with the application saying this is our business or is that something that you created before you went like, hey we have this business, would you be interested in? It was?
Speaker 9: It was kind of both, you know, it was kind of organic and natural where I was just going there and see if they don't want to partner with us, you know, we weren't as high tech as we are now. You know, then we didn't have on flee, we didn't have anything. We were just doing deliveries. Just get the address to the phone number and just type it in our GPS and just go there. So restaurant, it eventually all just got like on an application.
Speaker 8: And it's just you two on the bike.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just ran.
Speaker 7: So before you So right now you have an app.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a customer app and a restaurant app.
Speaker 7: So before you didn't have an app when you first started.
Speaker 3: Oh no, we had just a website.
Speaker 7: So people would go to the website.
Speaker 9: Go to the website, or then shopifire ring me, then I'll just kick thet GPS and just go there and call them. I have to call every order, and I mean Shopify and the people that I was using eventually on the app, because before we had the app, let's just go Shopify, they said, this is what you're trying to do on Shopify is not really possible. I've got people on Shopify ten But and then when I got on the app that was through shop I said, what you're trying to do is not really possible. So I've been hearing this the whole time, like, oh, you can't do this on shopify, but I did it and I so found a thousand dollars with the food on this.
Speaker 8: Was there a limitation like was there a range of how far you could go? Obviously y'all on a bike.
Speaker 3: So that five miles at first, so we were remember we it wasn't just app. We're not average, you know, on a bike, we're going on twenty five thirty miles an hour average, so we're going fast on there. Then we got the electric bike because we're going ten hours a day on the bike. So you know, we're gonna give some credit to the electric bike, but you know that's just this is what we have to do on the electric bike. Just what we have to do range ten hours a day for sure.
Speaker 7: So when did you get the app?
Speaker 3: October twenty October twenty nineteen. Yeah, I told right. I developed the app through shopifile.
Speaker 8: So the business was found. So it was created in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 9: We thought about it, thought about it twenty nineteen. It took me two years to put it together.
Speaker 8: Found it in twenty nineteen to February February Black History Month, Black month, exactly very significant. Yes, yeah, sounds like this might have been your idea now it was actually.
Speaker 3: But first year we only did twenty five thousand.
Speaker 9: The cells second year we did five hundred thousand, so that's a huge, like you know, that's a huge jump there.
Speaker 3: So of course we're trying to go on that.
Speaker 9: But it all just came from of course an app, developing my own app through Shopify, but just really believing in them myself.
Speaker 3: I didn't believe in myself in the beginning. I really did.
Speaker 9: I'm like, there's no way we're gonna do this, like like we have no drivers, just me and him, there's no one signing up. I didn't believe I could do it, like I said, while Oh he helped me believe in myself a lot of people and God really, because every time I felt like giving up, I'm done, I give up, I'm done with this, and then God blessed me with something else whereas as something and always it'd be the worst situation, funds or just the system, and then it just perfectly it was worked out. And that's what that was, just a confirmation, what are you gonna quit for?
Speaker 3: Why would you quit?
Speaker 7: So right now you still have the app through shopifile you haven't.
Speaker 3: Oh no, we have. We have a new app.
Speaker 9: So we so we had a uh, we still have the same you know app and template. I guess with an old team. But we hired a black owned tech company and you know.
Speaker 7: They developed their own app.
Speaker 9: They developed our first app, and then we hired another company just a couple of months ago, and then they kind of improved on that. So now we have a black on tech. How much to the court is to build that closer one hundred thousand? Of course I don't know exact numbers because you know, we went from different teams. You know, it costs a little more there, but I would say.
Speaker 3: A little over one hundred thousand. So everything's still not done. We still have a lot of.
Speaker 6: So you start with the website, then you go from shopify, app yep, and then you go to your own own app.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 8: Is that? Is that where now you get the drivers or drivers? Is that coming later?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 3: Drivers?
Speaker 9: So we started getting drivers, I would say when we opened up the app and nineteen like we had a few drivers then, but once you're seeing orders were like going from but four thousand a month to like twenty thousand, like a month and says, all right, we kind of got to get some drivers. So we just started literally going on Instagram saying we're hiring people, and people started applying.
Speaker 3: Literally, it was just organic. We didn't use Indeed, I just found out about indeed what eight months ago that I could do it on this So we just were on the ground like we're hiring people, here's how much you'll get paid. And that was it.
Speaker 8: ERNs, what's going on. Traditional universities are outdated and don't teach you how to become an entrepreneur. They just teach you how to become an employee.
Speaker 6: You go to school for four years and you leave with nothing but debt. But here why EYL University. Our curriculum is much different.
Speaker 8: Our university teaches you real world skills that you can use to gain financial freedom right away. In traditional universities, you learn from professors that have never did what they teach, and they teach you how to become an employee. At our university, we use instructors that are currently successful in specific field that they teach, and they teach you how to become an entrepreneur.
Speaker 6: For a limited time only, you can join EYL University for twenty five percent off of the annual membership. Learn about stocks, credit, real estate, crypto and more. Go to Eyluniversity dot com right now and sign up to become an earner.
Speaker 8: Don't wait, don't hesitate it over there now.
Speaker 6: So and then you was explaining to me that a lot of the drivers work for other companies as well, right.
Speaker 9: I mean we would assume, so we don't know, but I mean some know for sure, some, but a lot of them dedicated their time to us because they believed in it.
Speaker 3: To a lot of the drivers that work for us to actually believe in the vision.
Speaker 9: Most of the people who work they want to help us and want to help the black businesses.
Speaker 7: So all right, So what's so? All right?
Speaker 6: So, what's the process of signing up a restaurant? You go, you get them on the app, and.
Speaker 9: It's really just an application. Once they fill out the application, whether we go in person, whether we DM them, whether we email them, whether they.
Speaker 3: Heard it from a friend.
Speaker 9: Once they fill out the application, they have to schedule a call with me. I go over to service with every single last restaurant owner, and then they fill out their menu, they downloa the app and they can accept.
Speaker 6: Orders and then so you guys cut a twenty yep. So if somebody orders one hundred dollars for food from Joe Blows Fish Shack, you get twenty, they get eighty. They key baty correc how much did you driver get? Well, it's not out of that cut. So the customer payers are delivery fees.
Speaker 9: So let's say, you know, just out of our one hundred dollars just for the food, and let's say it's like a six dollars delivery field something like that, they keep all that. The six dollars, they just keep all everything.
Speaker 3: The tip, they keep all that.
Speaker 8: That was one of the sales points, right, I read that was like twenty dollars an hour plus one hundred percent of your tips, for sure, which is not that's not standard in that industry.
Speaker 9: I mean they say it, but I mean we've heard some scandals of you know, I ain't gonna say no company names, but we've heard some scanners of them taking tips. So we just make sure it's transparent where you keep one hundred percent of your tips. You can get cash chests because before we were only doing you can only tip.
Speaker 3: The driver in cash.
Speaker 9: That way, you know, we can't even collect tips for you can only get it in cash. So that was a transparent way. But you know, we have to upgrade the system where you can tip through your credit card or something like that. But we make sure it's as transparent as possible the tip for you.
Speaker 3: We don't take any tips.
Speaker 7: So you said, at first it was hard to get restaurants, what was what was the hurdle?
Speaker 3: I didn't know us. They know us.
Speaker 9: We're young, you know, we don't We don't really have an app. You know, at first we didn't even have an app, so it was like, what wait, going against Uber Eats, glob Hub, door Dash, Postmates, Caviar. This is a list of them all white or Asian on Literally there's no black on companies. So they're like, uh, I'm gonna be honest here. You know, some black people don't want to work with black people.
Speaker 3: Is that simple?
Speaker 9: Like some people don't think they're black. Some people don't want to work with black people. We got a bas stereo type and that's just really what it is. We only work and we only go for the people and work with the people that want to work with us. We ain't gonna get everyone yet, you know, we have to prove ourselves. I remember there was a restaurant and he would not sign up. We would go to his business, we would support his business. I mean almost every day we would eat there. Never signed up.
Speaker 3: I gave up.
Speaker 9: I'm like, you know what, We're gonna just go to other restaurants and we're gonna just keep going.
Speaker 3: Literally, I'm walking down the street and I wasn't even gonna.
Speaker 2: Talk to him.
Speaker 9: I was just like, you know, what's up, man, how you doing, and just keep keep pushing. Said you're still doing Black and Mobile. I'm like, yeah, he's all right, I'm signing up now. So some people just want to see that you're gonna keep going.
Speaker 3: And that was it. We're gonna keep going whether you sign up or not.
Speaker 8: Is that part of the marketing strategy. Like I'm gonna go to these restaurants, patroon there and if they see me.
Speaker 9: For me personally some of them, if there's specific restaurants that I like, but really just going there and just try to talk to them and show them it's a good business.
Speaker 3: So that's really what we just trying to know.
Speaker 9: That's not what he's what he's saying is we try to patronize them to like just for them to get on some of them.
Speaker 3: Some restaurants I've done that, but I like this place. I'm gonna try to show face. Most of the time.
Speaker 9: I'm just going there to eat. Honestly, I love food anyway, so I'm just going there to try the food and then you know, if I really like it, of course, you know, I'll try it then, but I just go to That's one of the best parts about the business is going to try new foods, new cities. I think that's the most.
Speaker 6: What was the marketing plan to get your name out there and to make people aware that you actually have a company that does this.
Speaker 3: I really really wasn't a plan. I can honestly that I'm not.
Speaker 9: I have to teach myself business well, So it wasn't a plan like, oh, let's just do this and that. It was more of like we just kind of did what we have to do. And like I said, we had a we had a restaurant and they were very popular in Philadelphia, and they kind of did the marketing for us and people at Country Cooking. So she don't really like me saying her name, but you know, Country Cooking. She she's the one who kind of put us on in Philly, and from there it was like people just kind of heard about it. So it was like me marketing and trying to get known. We were just doing the work and people seeing that we were doing the work, and you know, the news channels came and every time we went to New City, So it was kind of just organic word of mouth, like you should, like someone tagged y'all on the post. They've been tagging y'all for a while, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: That's just literally how it happened with people were just tagged, oh, you know, you check out this company, And it's just kind of how it was being in social media.
Speaker 7: Talk about that because I mean, spare followers do you have right now?
Speaker 3: One hundred thousand? Yea?
Speaker 7: So what was it? How did you grow to social media following?
Speaker 9: Like I said, it was really it was a lot of word of mouth, but a lot of news articles, a lot of news channels, like they kind of picked up the story, like like People magazine for example, they picked it up off of another magazine and I never even talked to them. So it was really just like the word spread where it was like we get on the shave room, and the shave rooms spreads and ray J calls me and like stuff like that, whereas like people hear about.
Speaker 3: You and then it just kind of spreads from there.
Speaker 8: So you got two of y'all together, obviously, so this is sort of a family business. But is everybody? Are the more people a part of this team?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 9: So we have our mom and we have Alisha. She's a business partner as well, So it's just us four right now.
Speaker 8: So y'all started business in twenty nineteen. Yep, twenty twenty was a year like we've never seen before. I want to talk about the impact that covid had on your business, because I know it changed a lot of businesses, but some for the negative and obviously some for the positive. I think y'all were on the positive vand you want to talk about that.
Speaker 3: We were on both sides.
Speaker 9: But okay, Yeah, covid first happened and they announced that it was delivery only. We just were so happy because we knew this was our shot. Oh I'm sorry, this was our.
Speaker 3: Chance to just show the show the business that we're partnering with, that we're going to execute.
Speaker 9: And then we got a lot of new businesses that just kind of had no other options. So we ourselves just increased like they tripled, like within the first three month, they just tripled. And then finding those drivers. We had drivers for a period of time, but that was also the problem because we have so we have such a demand and then we're calling orders.
Speaker 3: In a period of time, we every every order year and a half. We lived to.
Speaker 9: Literally shut down for like a few days because we just couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: There's too many orders.
Speaker 9: I'm calling every ordier and we have to find an alternative, a new system that will automate everything to take less stress. And then and then like it wasn't just COVID dog like we've had our So PROS was all right, we're making more money, but the negative stuff is restaurants are closing. So we got restaurants closing, We got drivers don't want to work, we got customers who don't want to order.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of things where we honestly we sold actually a million.
Speaker 9: Dollars in sales, but a lot of it was like like refunds and people and then and and tech issues, like we like we refunded a lot of money, so it was like PROS and cons of it, and then even where I'm not going to say because of the Black Lives Matter movement, but let's say because of when we get murdered, our more, our people and other people like to support black business more. And that's not how it should be. We should be supporting right now while we're alive, while we're doing like, not when people were not when bad things happen. So again, unfortunately that also led to moresels and to other people's supporting us.
Speaker 3: I don't like it. It really makes me upset that.
Speaker 9: People it takes for us to die or get a wrestler or something on a video to happen for us to support, you know what I mean. I'm not saying all black people, not saying all white. I'm just saying we see more support when I happened and.
Speaker 8: There was more of a awareness and more of a concentrated download the.
Speaker 3: App and sharing.
Speaker 9: It was like I ain't never seen you order before and you knew about us, So it was like that made me upset. But like I said, this pros and con to both of it, but covid definitely has been more of a blessing. We only try to focus on the positive stuff. So we went through our challenges, but COVID definitely helped our business and just getting us.
Speaker 3: You know, more known.
Speaker 9: It definitely made us known. It like put us on the map. Yeah, puts on that.
Speaker 6: So you said that you you got to switch from calling in order. What do you mean calling in orders?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 7: What's talk about?
Speaker 3: This was my job.
Speaker 9: So order comes in, I have to you know, read the order. I have to call the restaurant and read the entire order to the restaurant, the size, you know, just all the details of it. And then, for instance, say something happens with the order, they don't have it, I got to call the customer. I gotta fix it, and I got to call the rest of the mess I'm called and doing all these calls, and we're getting twenty orders in one minute, and he's trying to call these orders, and then I'm coming in to help, and then we're doing deliveries. And then on top of that, like it sometimes you know, like with the with the customers, like you said, something can happen, like it would just be so much. We're calling orders in and twenty orders a minute. It was just like how are we going to do this?
Speaker 8: How we're gonna keep calling this where you're running business out of.
Speaker 3: Anywhere, anywhere I can be laid down.
Speaker 8: They're just like on the cell phones, everything on Shopify everything.
Speaker 6: So all right, so then what did you switch to to not have to call orders in anymore?
Speaker 9: Well so, and it was it like June or June June. So we kind of shut down the system for a little bit, try to get things and right. We had a partnership that we were gonna, you know, pursue. Things didn't work out to well, but they got the basics for the development team basically they started the system. Honestly, from there it really went down here for us. We were making like a lot of money. And then as soon as we were about to experience Atlanta, literally ten hours before we went to Atlanta, they said we need more time. The system not going to be done. More time led to three months of the system not working correctly and stuff like that. So although we had the feature where it could like we don't have to call order and so now how it works is let's say order comes in, restaurant gets alerted, and the customer gets alerted, the restaurant accepts it, and now we don't have to call the order and so now everything.
Speaker 3: Goes through there. But it was just it was a process to get there.
Speaker 6: You know, electronically they just get get notified exactly and then to that way, you're not calling the order.
Speaker 9: That's the whole that's where we want to get to. Well, we don't got to touch anything and everything. They accept the order, they send it the market ready, and they send the driver.
Speaker 7: That took three months to get that app right.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately, the technology and it wasn't even working right even after that. So that's why we eventually had to fire that team, bringing a new team and now everything's working perfectly fine. But you know, we we lost a little over five hundred thousand because it was the biggest lag a lot till now.
Speaker 3: It was the biggest challenge in business.
Speaker 7: Everyone yeah, talking about that, losing one hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: I'm still we're still trying to cope with that. We're still talking because just imagine everything going well.
Speaker 9: You're seeing it like you're seeing everything go well, you're making a bunch of money, like I'm able to pay him, be able to pay, I'm able to pay everybody, got new employees, and then everything just shuts down. We got drivers quiting because there's no more orders, so people can't even order. But I could see like a couple of tech issues, but people can't even order. We can't even take there, we can't even take payments. So it's like losing all that money. It definitely hurt, But you know, how we made a comeback honestly was just you know, we went through We went through that, but PEPSI came in. PEPSI helped us. We got a partnership with them. Their whole goal is to bring in a hundred million dollars into black and restaurants, so we're kind of like the perfect partner for them. We only delivered for black and restaurants, you know, we can help them get access to that, so that that kind of helped us all.
Speaker 8: So PEPSI steps in after the George Floyd and or the Social Injustice.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was around December January twenty twenty one.
Speaker 8: Because a lot of times we hear these companies saying that they're going to make these initiative happened, but this is, y'all a living testament that it actually didn't.
Speaker 9: Oh no, seriously, I'm gonna be I'm gonna be transparent, like It changed my perspective on like just like corporations a little bit, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean. I'm not saying all of them are good. I'm not saying, you know, it's not a job. I don't know. I'm just from what they showed me.
Speaker 9: I have a different perspective on how corporations are with other businesses. If you have the right if you have the right movement, right, Yeah, it's just it's just different.
Speaker 6: So all right, So talk about the expansion. Atlanta was the first city that you moved into.
Speaker 8: Detroit.
Speaker 9: Detroit was actually we spended there in March, two weeks before COVID, and then we actually had to close down because it was just we couldn't there was nothing going on.
Speaker 3: Everyone shut down. We were from like twenty eight restaurants to.
Speaker 9: Like five literally because of COVID. So Detroit was first, and then we came back to Detroit, and then we went to Atlanta in July, and then we went to Baltimore in November.
Speaker 3: Yeah, November.
Speaker 6: So how did that work as far as going to the first Yeah, Detroit didn't work, Atlanta didn't work.
Speaker 9: Atlanta was working, but remember everything went bad because of the Texas.
Speaker 3: So Atlanta.
Speaker 9: We never really got to see the end of the beginning. We had so many like celebrities and and NFL players trying to support us, and no one could support us.
Speaker 3: So we took up That's what I'm saying. We took there. Baltimore.
Speaker 9: We took a loss there because you know, the system was kind of just starting to get back back. This is the thing, this is what It wasn't a loss all the way because it was like a test trial. It was like a way for us to just get into the market, see the restaurants that are interested and just learned, and then we have the challenges.
Speaker 3: But it's but twenty twenty one been a lot better. You know, like we're going to much stronger. We'll be able to go and rekindle the partnerships with these restaurants.
Speaker 8: When you when you're moving to a different city, because I know you said that you went to Atlanta, you went to Detroit, what are the things from a logigics standpoint are you trying to find to make sure that it can work. Obviously you need black owned restaurants, but are the other things that you're looking for when you move to a city.
Speaker 9: Honestly, I would say, of course, we need to see people that want to order, you know, like on our social media page. You know, we we kind of see the demand there like well, who's you know, where's the where's the apps coming from, the downloads coming from? You know, who wants to support us? So that's always a way. But honestly, I'm confident that wherever city we go to is gonna work because people all over one us out there, you know, so logistically, you know, of course we really restauronants is only in that matters, Like once you get the restaurants on board, people will support and drivers that's been that's before even restaurants. Because we can get all the orders we want. We can get all the restaurants signed up, but we have no drivers, and you know that's why number one was fixing the driver's situation.
Speaker 3: And then now we'll be able to explain to you know.
Speaker 8: What I love is that that you guys have a niche right like when we live out here and uh, white planes and it's like, if I want to order West Indian food, I got no chance.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 3: I was about to stand like it's kind of in the middle of like nowhere.
Speaker 7: I'm like don't get up to restaurant right down the street.
Speaker 8: It's like one and if I don't do that, this golden crust. But sometimes like if I want like Kingston Bakery, I can't. They're not gonna be on uber Eats, right if I want to have rockets on or something like that, it's not gonna be on a grub up. So the fact that y'all focus on these people, I think it's and we go.
Speaker 9: Ten miles, so you know, even with people like with then fire My I'm not gonna say all the services, but a lot of them only you with five six miles, So we do ten miles to make sure that well, you know, it's gonna be a little more expensive, but we're gonna try to get it to you know, we're gonna try to get the restaurants even more customers because if you're like eight miles away, you can't get to it. When you hit ten, ten miles, fifteen miles, anyone could really support you exactly.
Speaker 6: So how many restaurants do you try to have in the city, Like, what's your goal to have in a city to be like successful in that city.
Speaker 9: I would say just to be successful in the city. I would say thirty if we get thirty forty restaurants in there, and then honestly, we don't have to do that many orders per month, Like just at twenty five hundred orders a month, we can be making like twenty thousand profit a month, you know what I mean. So it ain't like it was the profit twenty thousand profit a month. So it ain't like it's really all about the order totals, like like we can have a hundred restaurants and they all do an order. That's not that that's not that good. It's all about the order totals. The more orders we do, the better. That's really all it is.
Speaker 6: So was there ever any hesitation as far as pigeonholding yourself to just black owned restaurants and not having it for every single restaurant.
Speaker 3: Not at all, Like like we heard that so many times.
Speaker 9: Money's been and don't limit yourself, But that's not what we're doing it for. If you want to go support someone else, there's other food deliver services out there. We're just focusing on black owned restaurants because we literally make everything and there's a lot of this. I could probably put your owner some black owed restaurants in your own city. Like that's like me, as a twenty six year old, I should be able to even as a just as a man, a black man, I should be able to know where the restaurants are. We know where everyone else's business are, but we don't know where ours are, all of them. So again, there's some people that do, but I don't really care about. You know, well, this is what I want to eat it. This is just not the service for you we have. We black people make everything. If you can't find something on here, you know, I'm sorry about that. You know, there's other delivery options, like for the Chinese that they use.
Speaker 3: They only deliver for Chinese restaurants.
Speaker 9: There's literally a service out there right now, and a one for Puerto Rican people where they only deliver for Hispanic restaurants.
Speaker 3: So we're just doing the same thing.
Speaker 7: M hm.
Speaker 8: So on fleet, Yeah, I love on Flee change your business. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC ernests What's up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like The checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments It's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 1: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 2: It was the new game day scratches from the California Lottery players.
Speaker 3: Everything.
Speaker 2: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 1: Are you I'm saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 2: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game. That's all for now, Coach.
Speaker 7: One more question.
Speaker 4: Play than New Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace may responsibily. It must be eighteen years or older to purchase plate or claim to.
Speaker 8: The audience what that is? And how y'all bet a fit for usident.
Speaker 3: So awfully, it's just it's just amazing.
Speaker 9: We met them at a delivery conference, and I literally was almost in tears when I found out about it because I was set on making my own Hofully. I'm like, this is what we need. I'm going to make my own Onfully and I found out about them, Oh yeah, Awfully. Awfully is a dispatch system. So what it does is it provides you a driver at it'll lets you just really see the location of all your orders, like whether you're doing on demand, whether you're doing weed delivery, you can do anything on there, but it really lets you see the map, make a route for the drivers, and everything is organized. So it really just like an optimization system and a delivery solution, you know, for your business if you're doing a lot of deliveries. So it' it's just been the biggest blessing for our business literally because we were kind of unorganized then. You know, we didn't have a driver app, we didn't have any dispatch. Everything was going through Shopify, so that just made everything a lot more simpler. And you know, we of course we're going to continue to use onfully until we build our own custom you know solution, but Awfully, I recommend that to anyone that's using anything with delivery.
Speaker 3: Weed anything.
Speaker 9: The customers transparency, they can like they feel more safe used than that because there's messages tracking system like that just makes them feel more comfortable to use your service.
Speaker 7: So so of the restaurants women.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, a lot, a lot.
Speaker 9: Black women support us more than anything, not even just the restaurants, as Black women in general, they just support us more. Again, no shade to black men or anybody else, but black women they really support us.
Speaker 6: That's all like a fifty to fifty split between It's not it's not really a bad breakdown, but it's like most restaurants are in general are owned by men, but the majority of your restaurants are.
Speaker 3: Owned by yep yep.
Speaker 7: Why is that?
Speaker 6: Is that just through more black women own restaurants than black men in your case study.
Speaker 9: I don't know, because again there's some restaurants whereas like you know, they're joint you know, co founders.
Speaker 3: You know, you can say there are men and women.
Speaker 9: So again from what I've seen and what I've asked around, and who was you know, who was a black woman owned Some of them were co founders with you know, with their husband and stuff like that. But from what I've seen from who we partner with.
Speaker 3: Most of them were black women.
Speaker 8: So when I'm putting in my application, I'm sure there's been times when you guys have denied applications or say, you know what this is in a restaurant that fits our business? What are the things that I have to have If I'm a restaurant tour and I'm trying to be on black.
Speaker 9: And a brick and mortar. Can't be out of your apartment or anywhere else. You have to be at a location that's safe for people to come pick up.
Speaker 3: That's number one.
Speaker 9: And you know, of course you got you got, you gotta clan that you're black again, because it could be you could be Hispanic, you could be black, you could be whatever. But if you claim that you're black, how do you determine it black? Well, well, we let them determine that. I can't determine if you're black or that. That's not my job.
Speaker 3: If you said you're black, you're black, if you claim.
Speaker 7: That, how do you because it could be a white restaurant.
Speaker 9: Oh no, no, no, we I mean we meet the restaurants and you know, we meet the owners, we meet with them, you know, we go there, we put the sticker up. You know, we take pictures with them, so we always meet them. But honestly, most of the time, if they're white, there just them like can I sign up? I'm white, I'm aging, So they're just kind of like, well, can I do this? Black people, you know, they usually just kind of sign up because you know, of course.
Speaker 3: You know, they know they're black. But if they're not black, they usually ask me if they can sign up for us.
Speaker 6: So that's usually how maybe, but this is an interesting question. Black is a very complicated word because who's really black. It could be taking a lot of different terms. So is this black African American or is it black just skin color, which would include Caribbean, African, Latin black, Yeah, Afro Latina.
Speaker 3: It includes everyone.
Speaker 9: If you if you claim that you're black, again, we we we partner with mostly African American business, but of course we're deliver your making own business and Africa.
Speaker 3: If you if you, if.
Speaker 9: You know the main you know the goal of what we're trying to do, and that circulate the dollar, and it's for the black community.
Speaker 6: So I got if your skin is brown or black or like light skin, I don't know what I'm saying, is that because nationality is a big thing, especially like and like in New York, Like is it very like this is a complicated conversation. But you got Dominican Dominicans shout out to all.
Speaker 7: Of my Dominicans.
Speaker 6: So it's just this what got They'll be darker than Akon, but they won't say that they're black because they say that they're Latino.
Speaker 9: That's what I mean by that. If you you could be the blackest person, but if you say you're not black, then you're not black. That's it's up to you to I'm not I'm not judging on who's black enough who's not.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 9: You could be light skinned to be and be black, and in the mind you could be have better line and tensions for black people than someone who's dark skinned.
Speaker 3: So it doesn't matter to me. It's more about your mindset.
Speaker 9: And if you claim that you're black and you want to work with black people, then you're good with You're good bye men, all right?
Speaker 8: The reason the qualifications. So I gotta have a brick and mortar for sure. I gotta identify as black as anything else. No, that's so we're not doing ghost kitchens, right, No, we do ghost kitchens.
Speaker 7: You just gotta have You gotta have some kitchen.
Speaker 9: You gotta have a kitchen, kitchen exactly where you're actually certified and stuff like that. We can't pick up from your home, We can't pick up from anywhere like a pop up. It has to be where it's somewhere legit, where you know other people are operating out of as well.
Speaker 6: So it could be not a restaurant but a kitchen, yeah for sure.
Speaker 9: Yeah, a bar like the bar could be selling his drinks because go in there and pick.
Speaker 7: Up the food, goest kitchen shout and you know him not your banging.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah Baltimore.
Speaker 7: So is he signed up with your thing?
Speaker 3: Not yet?
Speaker 8: Not yet? You got to make that not your favorite line is you know what it is? Black support bet than child support.
Speaker 3: It's that for real, You were saying a lot of stuff. Let me think about that.
Speaker 8: We're gonna make a code.
Speaker 6: But so he's the one that really put us on the ghost kitchens and it it's one of these things that really took off during the pandemic because a lot of times people don't have enough resources to have their full restaurant. Yeah, but you know, you can have an industrial coach kitchen is huge here.
Speaker 3: They're very convenient too, They're very easy. Like we have a few ghost kitchen.
Speaker 9: Look just watch out because we're gonna do something like that. For of course, we're gonna do it for black restaurants. We got to create more black on restaurants. So I've already been thinking about doing something like that. We're going to have the infrastructure, the technology to partner with one of these companies. Of course it won't be Tryotter. That's the ex owner of uber Ec owns that. But we'll partner with someone else that does it. And what will do the same thing try Otter is. So what it does is it consolidates all of the all of all of the delivery platforms in the one So basically, if you got you know, five six tablets and you want to have it on one tablet, that's what a dust wing. You can accept all the delivery orders on one tablet. So that's where a lot of the ghost kitchens use. Because you know X on the Er he kind of you know, he owned that company. He set it up that way where you know they partner with try I think he owns that too, and then uh, you know, it's just really convenience.
Speaker 8: So you'll see Ober post amazing and see Black and Mobile. Oh yeah, you can say that.
Speaker 9: Two months, two months, two months, you'll see a Black and Mobile on Tryouter, your Seals on Square, and then about three to four months your Seals on Toast and Childie Child is the same thing as Try just you know, competition.
Speaker 6: So okay, So yeah, so what are your thoughts on the space moving forward? Because I feel like this is one of these things only gonn get bigger and bigger because people used to order from If you think about it, it's like it's very similar to Uber. Like before you had to call a cab and nobody called cabs anymore. Everybody just called Uber the lift and before you call the delivery, like you get like those pamphlets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you call like the number and.
Speaker 7: Like you know what I mean, like you call.
Speaker 3: This has been piece has been huge for years in the in the eighties, seventies, it's been.
Speaker 6: Huge, but now nobody does that. Everybody just Uber eats, Grub, Hug, Black and Mobile. So you feel this is just going to continue to get bigger and bigger, and what's the next evolution.
Speaker 9: I mean, from what we've seen, it's only been getting bigger and bigger. From twenty five thousand to find a thousand. Our goal is at least hit a million this year. So I don't see food delivery going anywhere. Like Aaron was saying, we can go into different markets, so we can go into clothing, we can go into grocery, we can do all that stuff. But it's first mastering the food delivery and getting the system down right and then expanding from there. You know, I don't see this industry going anywhere. Like you said, it's only growing and people are not going outside as much. And I'm the type of person where I'd rather order delivery than go over.
Speaker 3: Is the biggest thing in the world right now. Everything is delivered and everything convenient.
Speaker 9: It's so convenient to just be at home and just get everything delivered to you, doesn't matter what it is.
Speaker 3: I don't see it going anywhere.
Speaker 6: So talk about you said that you want to take this bigger than just food, for sure, what's.
Speaker 7: The vision with that?
Speaker 9: So we know food now, so we're comfortable with that, so we have to get that in order, but going to other markets won't be hard. We just have to have a mechanism to just protect ourselves and protect the customers and the restaurants from things being stolen or not restaurants, the businesses from things being stolen, just making sure that is safe. But Amazon delivers everything, so we can deliver everything. Of course we're not going to be you know, getting into things like Amazon. It'll really be like stuff that we can deliver, like I said, groceries and some clothing items. But I mean, why not, you know, why not deliver everything that we can to have a black owned.
Speaker 3: Just it's like talket place headquarter. Just get you like, partner with someone like we by Black will Again I don't.
Speaker 9: Know because I have an actual update on the on the grocery store, but when when it does happen, because I know it's gonna happen something like that. But we can partner with you know, that's an ideal situation. But just being able to deliver everything, like partner with me by Black for example, and delivering everything.
Speaker 3: That's ideal.
Speaker 9: Just being able to deliver everything all black business.
Speaker 8: So y'all got the app obviously it's a brand. And now you got into the merchandising as well, and so is that something because I know that you guys started designing the shirts and everything that is. That's something that like we're.
Speaker 3: Trying to start it off small. Really, we wasn't really trying to sell us to nobody.
Speaker 9: We were just doing it because we wanted to wear you know, we have to get our own identity. So we just started you know, you know, getting a logo together and we put our own thing together. But you know, we sell shirts now, you know, not as much as you know, we don't really promote that. We're selling shirts and bags like it's really for the drivers. That's kind of who we promoted you more. But you know, we got some merchandise.
Speaker 7: How is funding? Have you got self funded all this yourself?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Self funding.
Speaker 9: So we've had some loans, some Shopify you know shopif like the capital, so we've done that.
Speaker 7: We've people might not know what that is.
Speaker 9: Yeah Shopify listen. I love Shopify before onfully, that is the number one savor of the business. That's the reason why I'm here because I taught myself Shopify by reading the help center. I went to the help center said I don't know how to design a website. I don't know anything about e commerce. But I'm gonna learn it. So anyone that's getting e commerce, Wix and all that stuff, it's all cool, but if you really want to like do some real stuff, you Shopify. That's just what I recommend. Of course, you know this square, but Shopify is like, it's just beautiful. You can make an app on her, you could teach yourself everything and everything is organized with the orders. So I definitely recommend Shopify to anyone that's trying to start the business because it's just just beautiful.
Speaker 8: Do you remember the initial loan you have to take out to start the business.
Speaker 3: I didn't take any loan out. I started everything with my own.
Speaker 9: All money, okay, yeah, delivering food just for CAPR and I started that way.
Speaker 6: Shopify like once you reach a certain threshold income, then they'll give.
Speaker 9: You exactly yeah, so they gave you loan you could pay like, you know, twelve thirteen, fifteen, seventeen percent, and that's literally what I did. You know it will It went from like five thousand to ten thousand and sixty thousand, so it just kept going from there. You know, of course, you got to pay it back and take it out of your daily sales. But I mean when you're making money. It's helping us a lot to he just to survive. It helped us a lot.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 6: What you would you do with the capital just hire new drivers? Well, no, you're not really hiring drivers because they can't paid commission, right, so it's.
Speaker 9: No drivers don't get paid commission. So we use it to do marketing. But it was mostly tours app development, So that's what we use most of the money for because you know, they need the money up front, so that's kind of what we used, literally more than half of the money. Well, honestly, the busines. This bill was back up the most you know, to get started in the business. It was thirty dollars to get on Shopify and then from there it was like one hundred dollars on offully. So it wasn't even much aside the business. But those deftly bills pick up technology. Oh yeah, as you keep going orders, the more costs. Yeah, servers and all that stuff starts to pick up.
Speaker 6: So okay, are you playing on expanding your team? Not the drivers but the actual business team.
Speaker 9: The two positions I want to expand on it is definitely email marketing because I'm not the best at design and stuff. Like, you know, I'm an entrepreneur, but I have to teach myself email marketing. We got like seventy thousand emails and I don't know what to do because I'm not at I'm not.
Speaker 3: Good at email marketing. So definitely that some ads like Google ads, Facebook.
Speaker 9: Ads, like I would say someone that knows that, And as of now, those are the only two positions that I would see that we would need because I'll do everything else myself. I got my brother and my mom, so you know, we kind of we do it all ourselves. But eventually, you know.
Speaker 7: It's good to get out of doing it yourself.
Speaker 3: Though, Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 9: That's why we're doing the automation with with the drivers, so we don't have to do that no more. Literally, anything we're ordering we want have to take care of. But I still want to be hands on in a business. It's just for a couple more years, maybe until we're in our fifth year, and then kind of delegate it, you know, just to make sure that we're going where we need to be.
Speaker 8: So you got Philly, uh, you got Atlanta, and New York is on the way. Expansion is you said before you weren't ready for New York. Can you explain to to the people why.
Speaker 9: I'm a type of person where I'd rather not do business at all and then do bad business.
Speaker 3: So I knew that we try to go to New York and just.
Speaker 9: Rush it, and I'm impatient, you know, I'm Aaron over some I'm energetic. I'll make a wrong decision because I'm so hyped to do it, like I know I can do it, and then when I fail, I'm like, I'm like, shit.
Speaker 8: He was right, bro was right.
Speaker 9: So I was like I knew from it. I knew from the rip We're not ready for New York. It's just it's too much, you know, Like what's going on with this live It's different regulations here, like definitely for bike drivers just to have a license plate some of them. Like there's just a lot of regulations here, crossing the bridges and all that. And I want to make sure we don't mess up New York, like going through the challenges and going through all the little mess ups that you're going to go through in business. We had to learn so much. Now when we go to New York, we're gonna be ready. Now when we go to La wherever we go, we know we're gonna be ready because we know what the do to succeed.
Speaker 3: So we just wanted to make sure a city like that, And that's why I told you we didn't fail inmore. It was a test shob but we could have done it just a little difficult. We can't do.
Speaker 9: So, you know, we just know that New York just now. Of course not already now. But drivers is the main thing, you know, having drivers. Like I said, restaurants are going to sign up. New York has already been showing love. We probably already got like ten people to sign up already. So New York has been showing love. But drivers, it is like if we get all them orders, who's going to do it? And we're not gonna be out here on our bikes running for city, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So it's like we can't.
Speaker 8: Still you're still on the bike. He rides the bikes.
Speaker 3: We about to go through a bike right right. I take my son on my bike. I do it. Bike is my lifestyle. I love it. So I gain a little way. I stopped on the bike, I get a little wait.
Speaker 8: So I didn't even know that. So when you go to different cities. You gotta so New York you need a license to play with other regularly.
Speaker 9: A fast bike thirty two months, so you need to you just have to have like you have to go to the state or something. I forget exactly what it was, but I know for the other services they make you do that you can't deliver in New York. So that was one of the things that we have to consider that for drivers. And then just the bridges and just it's a different market.
Speaker 3: Atlanta spread out. You need a car out there.
Speaker 5: I heard.
Speaker 9: You don't want to be in a car out here, you know, you want to be on a bike and kind of short distance stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So it's just it's just a lot different.
Speaker 7: So Brooklyn. Brooklyn is Brooklyn the first target in New York.
Speaker 3: The most restaurants.
Speaker 9: From what I've seen, that the most black on restaurants. You know, we're gonna go everywhere. We'll go to Harlem, we'll go to Queens. You know, everything's kind of near. But Brooklyn is just a lot of people want us to come out there. You know, we know eat Okre. I know, I know you'll probably heard of them Eat Okre the directory, so I know he's out in Brooklyn, he's you know, based out there.
Speaker 3: You know he has a lot of restaurants, So it's just gonna be easy for us to find the restaurants and partner with them.
Speaker 7: So and you're just doing it cold calling.
Speaker 9: I'm about to go literally after showing up, and we're gonna hand him a flyer, introduce ourselves, and we're gonna go back next week and we're gonna do the same thing that we ignore them, whether you know they love us or not. You're gonna hear us on the d m's gonna d M you, we're gonna email you, and we're going to show up about four times.
Speaker 3: And that's just what we're gonna do.
Speaker 7: Make sure you go to b K are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think it's on my route.
Speaker 8: It's just one of our sweet spots people.
Speaker 9: So wait, what's your favorite besides what's your favorite black on restaurant?
Speaker 3: What type of food do y'all like?
Speaker 8: My favorite Black owned is, uh, the Grail Lounge.
Speaker 3: Was going to go there last time.
Speaker 8: I love the lounge.
Speaker 7: And in Brooklyn or your favorite period and well in New York, let's just say New York.
Speaker 6: B knin that's that's all, so we got to support who supports us.
Speaker 3: So y'all think that we're gonna help y'all find you restaurants.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, absolutely, no doubt. Light house all, get your craft, get the surpri.
Speaker 9: That's gonna be the best thing is putting y'all on the restaurants in your own city.
Speaker 3: You're not from here.
Speaker 8: I mean they are similar. The ones I said was all West Indian, so go star to.
Speaker 3: Honestly, we go for more to vegan ones. We go for a lot of big restaurants. Yeah, greedy, greedy vegan. That's a good one. There was one more, but she's not out here. She's in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: It was bad vegan.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you heard, but I just had some vegan food in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Man black on vegan food Atlanta, Atlanta? Where'd you go?
Speaker 7: What you trying to? Thank? My man?
Speaker 6: Neil put me on to it. I forgot the name of it, but it was what kind of food did this? It was like one of these things where it was like, you know, hamburgers and.
Speaker 7: Hilly dog fish like the vegan.
Speaker 8: Like a vegan.
Speaker 7: It's a vegan.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 8: I think y'all connected with slightly vegan too.
Speaker 9: Right, So we connected with them initially him in Big Days, but kind of didn't work out the best.
Speaker 3: So we kind of just you know, okay, okay that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I'm not Yeah, it's always good to know about new restaurants. I like to go out to eat a lot, so I'm always asking people, like, you know, get different suggestions. I just want to a restaurant or hall them. I forgot the name of it that was really it was a French It's a black owned French restaurant. Oh that it's like, so I'm gonna look.
Speaker 7: It up for y'all. Let you know that.
Speaker 9: See see we find see the thing that's unique about black and mobiles, we find restaurants that again no shade to any directory out there, but the thing is we're on the streets. We're not just using the internet. We go through like we'll be driving to a restaurant. We'll see like, oh they just open, or you know, like we find new restaurants. So our list is like we have a huge list in Philly and everywhere we go because we go through the streets and find the new restaurants.
Speaker 3: We always got restaurants opening up all the time.
Speaker 9: You know, some may close and may open, but you always find the unique ones because they're like, you know, smaller that no one knows about.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna put you all on for sure.
Speaker 8: I'm looking.
Speaker 7: So one one question not your thing.
Speaker 6: And one thing he said that was an issue for him was the drivers sometimes and they like you know, they might take too long, they don't show up, they take whatever take they don't show up. And he was like, ultimately it comes back to the restaurant, it always does. But then ultimately it comes back to the app also, So what's something been some of your challenges?
Speaker 7: Have you had challenges with restaurants?
Speaker 3: Not because every accepting the order?
Speaker 6: Well that every time I order it from Chipotle, I never get what I order for some reason. So I don't know if it's the restaurant that's that's the driving picking up the right I don't know.
Speaker 3: They're not training the people right where, they're not reading the order, they're giving you guys the wrong food.
Speaker 7: So have you have you guys had issues with drivers restaurants? Like, what's been some of your challenge?
Speaker 3: We have those issues. I mean we don't.
Speaker 9: So here's what I say about drivers, And again, we're kind of strict when it comes to the drivers up and eating the food. We tell them straight up, if you take the food, your fire on your first defense.
Speaker 7: We don't have they like literally eating people's food.
Speaker 9: We have never had that happen one time and to your and then they're making it an elaborate excuse of what happened.
Speaker 8: So is there any insurance for that? Like what do y'all do like female or we.
Speaker 3: Pay their restaurant. We have to make it again. So we've got to play for a minute.
Speaker 6: Like this bigger than just Black and Mobile, just the industry. Why would somebody do that? Why would they take somebody's food?
Speaker 3: They're hungry? Yeah, first they they're hungry.
Speaker 9: They don't want to do that, it's too far of a delivery, or they want to get back at the company. They think that they're getting.
Speaker 3: At Uber eats or doing that.
Speaker 9: A lot of the times is the reasons too. They accepted order and then they oh, well it's too far from it, I don't want to go, so I'm just gonna make an excuse and eat the food. And they also don't understand that when you take the food, you're not hurting Uber eats. The uber is a pay for It's okay. No, the restaurant is suffering.
Speaker 8: Too, that's what the money.
Speaker 9: We always saw a restaurant owners always sudden on the phone. We represent you too, So it's not just oh you know we're gonna you know, you guys are on our platform. And I said, we're representing you. Even our drivers. So when we delivered to our customer, even if they get their food, they're rude to you if they just leave it. Like everything that we do represent shit.
Speaker 7: So you got to check the driver too, though, you got to check the driver.
Speaker 3: Oh well, we checked the drivers. Like I said, we haven't had one person to eat the food.
Speaker 8: Is their interview process for the driver, I know, you sit down with the restaurant owned.
Speaker 9: So we actually call every driver too, So we have someone, We have a couple people actually that call every driver.
Speaker 3: And it ain't a long interview. It ain't like, oh we'll ask.
Speaker 9: You questions because it's food to live, you know what I mean, like do you have a car, you know, stuff like that, and your background check, making sure your backround check is clean.
Speaker 7: We wanted two violations in your dark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wanted to. I mean, we make you pay for the food if you have time.
Speaker 9: I'm literally watching the map, watching what you're doing, So any little sudden moves, I'm calling you. So again, we want to get away from that because we don't want to watch the screen all day. But like stuff like that, where let's say you're taking the food, we'll make you pay for it. You get terminated, it's just kind of yeah, that's your pay because we're not gonna get paid for the order.
Speaker 3: You took the food and you ate it.
Speaker 9: Now, you know, we've had issues where a driver literally she had to go because something something happened at school or her daughter, and you know, it was a fight and she had to go. We can't really penalize, you know, stuff like that, but you know, she started to pay for the food and she was willing.
Speaker 3: To pay for the food.
Speaker 9: So stuff like that, we got to make sure we protect our company and you know, and them and anyone that doesn't want to do it, they just don't sign up.
Speaker 3: Because we put all the rules out there. It ain't like a hidden thing.
Speaker 9: We're like, well, we're gonna take your money now, put it in the in the agreement when you sign and when you sign up, this is this is these.
Speaker 3: Are rules it hasn't happened often, No, not much.
Speaker 6: What about if it's a black owned French like if it's a black old franchise owner, like somebody owns Tim McDonald.
Speaker 7: Yea, yeah yeah black is that qualify?
Speaker 3: Yeah? We love that. Yeah, we love that. And that's how I feel about that.
Speaker 9: Like there's certain restaurants that we can deal it with, but I would prefer not to because I kind of am what you're selling to.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I don't want you. I don't want to me. I don't want to promote McDonald's. Don't if you own McDonald I don't want to sell that to people. I don't want to give that to people. That's how I feel. But business has been on the other side.
Speaker 8: We know that h that's coming from McDonald's on Friday.
Speaker 9: If you got Tim McDonald's and you want to sign up and you're black, you can definitely sign.
Speaker 8: Up with me.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: The unfortunate thing.
Speaker 9: The unfortunate thing is is a lot of our restaurants we don't really have chains, you know, Like it's like we're not like a McDonald's, Like you don't see too many of us. But that's a that's a benefit for us because when we signed restaurants up, you're not competing against McDonald's and Popey's all these people that are going off what we did and then you know, selling it and stuff like that, you're going again, you're going against other black and restaurants. But we try to make a non competitive thing where it's like you're selling your thing. Even if y'are selling sell food, y'all make it, y'all weigh and that's it. Because we have some restaurants who act like it's a competition. It's like, this is not a competition. We're all circling our dollar. Like for example, there may be a big restaurant and they got a lot of traffic, but someone may come looking for that restaurant and I find another smaller restaurant and that menu looks better to.
Speaker 3: Them and it's close. Like that's how it all works, where we're connecting.
Speaker 9: Everyone's connected, and everyone's getting support, whether that's through traffic or actual dollars.
Speaker 8: Because you have a think about taking EQUI and somebody startup restaurants, right because if they're starting up and they're coming off your name and you upon them, now, now we.
Speaker 3: Want you to come up. So I don't really like again, no one. People try to do that to me and I let them, but I want you to come out, Like I literally helped. We helped the restaurant from Baltimore. They were from Baltimore. They moved to Philly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no followers, no one knew them or anything like that, but they were big in Baltimore. They got over ten thousand followers. Now like they thank us for helping them get traffic. Like there when they open for three days out of the week, they're busy every day. So we want to see this because in return, again some of the nicest people I met, but they don't even want to accept our money there, like they don't need they just for free, and we don't want to do that. We still support, but it's like I like saying, businesses come out. That's what we should be doing. That's why I said, I want to open up a ghost catching situation where we're helping create new black owned businesses. That is the way for us to be to get out of what we're in. At the end of the day, it's all comes down to economics. We're in survival and the only way for us to do that is of course, patron as in our business.
Speaker 3: But economics, that's that's gonna be the set of.
Speaker 6: Everything has a Filipino restaurant. You would think that would be kind of weird.
Speaker 3: That's unique.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so what's the what's the thing that how any restaurant on your platform that you wouldn't expect a black person to own?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Japanese store was one of Detroit where they were like selling habachi and I'm like, like, here was the craziest thing to make. There was no black people in there working almost like none of this. It was like y'all really doing it, like ya, I ain't got you know, they had black people working for them, but it was like the chefs, it was just like it was like a Japanese so you would not know it was black OneD. So that is impressive the one they were on the platform before. But they're waiting on the integration with like you know, Squaring toes the better box they're black on. They said all Chinese were amazing like stuff like that where it's like it's just you know, you can make everything.
Speaker 6: I went to a Chinese vegan restaurant and it was pretty it was pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: Yes, anything vegan is amazing.
Speaker 8: Vegan and when you just said that, I thought about this cupcake spot I went to. It was in Scarsdale, New York, so it's an affluent white neighborhood and when you go in, it's like like white teenagers working there. And then I went to Bloomingdale's and they had these taste testers and I'm like, what is this? They was like small cakes. I'm like, who owned this? I want to get a kid in internship and it was a black man and a woman like that's our shot, we own it. And I was like, Oh, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: I need an internship that French black on restaurant. Yeah. I really don't know about that.
Speaker 9: A major thing. You know, It's cool. Like I always say this, multiple ways to support black business.
Speaker 3: Everyone knows.
Speaker 9: You can spend your dollar with them, you can share them on social media, all that stuff. The best way to support a black business is working for them. We work for everyone else, but we don't put that same energy. I'm not saying all of us, but we don't put that same energy into working for other black people.
Speaker 3: That's the number one way. And I'm not just saying that because we need drivers.
Speaker 9: I'm saying that because I'm seeing restaurants go out of business and having a worker shortage and all that stuff, like they're hired all the time. It's like we just we gotta work for we gotta work for our business. Is that something we gotta work for them if we're not gonna support them and you know, patronize them, working for them whatever we can do.
Speaker 3: But that's just how we have to, you know, just win economically.
Speaker 6: Are there any shots that Derek Falcon another restaurant owner from Baltimore, He said that is his formula seven items on the menu, because you don't want to have too many items. So from you, from your perspective, what separates the restaurants that are successful, Yeah, restaurants that's not successful.
Speaker 3: I actually agree with that.
Speaker 9: Like if you have if you're selling one hundred and fifty items, I'm not looking through that menu. I'm going through what I know normally, I'm gonna just get the So I agree that the shorter of the menu seven is a little low, but again it works for some people. You know, if you know, you make that really good, make it. So I think that what separates and we're talking about delivery food delivery, what separates the successful ones on Black and Mobile and the ones that don't do as well is really how much time they put into it, like putting good images of the food people want. They don't want to see a logo. They don't want to see just a blank image. They want to see what the food look like. They eat with their eyes first, so when they go to the app, damn, that looks good, Like, I want to order that now.
Speaker 3: So that's the first thing they do telling people about black people.
Speaker 9: But there's restaurants that we've had they it's like Black and ob but don't exist.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we're a partners, but Uber East exists and like it's like we're like the low key under the table one.
Speaker 9: It's like, you know, like so if you want to be successful, you got to let people know that you know, you're on Black and Move. But it's really just about the presentation on how you look on the app. And that's any food deliver service. If you've got good images on there and the prices are right and you know you're not going up forty percent on the price.
Speaker 3: And you know, that's just how you be successful and every.
Speaker 9: Time, but a lot of times your food just has to be good, like there be restaurants that you're just.
Speaker 3: Not making good food, and no one's no order for me fortunately, untunately. Just listen, I've tried some bad food before. You know.
Speaker 9: I ain't saying no names, but side it is. You know, everybody don't cook the same.
Speaker 7: There you have it, ladies better than y'all. I appreciate y'all brothers, man, try any other questions for them.
Speaker 8: No, man, everything you're saying is the epitome of what we're doing. So I'm glad to see two young brothers literally brothers on a mission that's similar to what we're doing. We're trying to highlight black businesses, and y'all are doing it in the field that we love the most man blackly. We love our food.
Speaker 9: We love us on man seriously. Like I said, I've been I knew about y'all for a while. Nine I told myself, we're gonna get on there. So I'm glad that my brother joined me because he's always so nervous. But you know, again, I appreciate y'all. Like I said, we're gonna we're going to deliver to your person when we open up and rest y'all want.
Speaker 8: And we're gonna get a picture of this bike when we go outside.
Speaker 3: Sure, for sure. I was about to ask that let's get a picture again.
Speaker 6: Sure, what what would you like to leave the people we're telling your social media, website, app, all of that stuff.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so you can find us. We're big on Instagram, but you just Google Black and Mobile. But on Instagram it's black and Mobile, Twitter, Black and Mobile, everything Black and Mobile. You could download it after support. Like I said, we're coming to Brooklyn in August, probably the first and second week of August. We'll be in la this year, We'll be in Houston this year, the next year. I mean, we're going to be in at least ten more cities. So just download the app and just you know, follow our journey.
Speaker 8: You know what, I do have one more so that is here in the United States, But I know we have a bigger vision to touch the content that a little bit.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, we definitely want to get to like places like Haiti. If we want to get to Africa, whether that is South Africa, whether that's Ghana. You know, everyone is accepting black Americans out there, and I mean we need to be honestly, my royal goal is to try to get some people back to Africa and make sure we all can work together. But wherever we are, you know, as long as we've worked together, giving up you know, some of my some of my profits to some of these places, you know, we have to really do a lot of work. It's not just about food delivery at this point, like that's the business. But we really got to do a lot of more work with schools and hospitals, Like we don't where the hospitals we own it. It's just so much that goes into what I'm doing is for So that's the rule.
Speaker 8: I could imagine when you go to a country where is predominantly black.
Speaker 9: And we don't own nothing out there, it's like, you know, that's that's just making real change like that, like not just food food delivery, that's minor.
Speaker 3: I want to make real change. I want to have my own airlines.
Speaker 9: I want to be able to move black people wherever we want to and circulate the dollar. It has to circulate more than more than fifteen times, because that's what we was doing before. So that's that's the ultimate goal. But it's it's all the stuff with food delivery.
Speaker 7: For sure, I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: I appreciate man, much continued success to you, brothers. We got a chance to get this done. Make sure you support, support the app, and support everything that they have going on. Great energy and I'm looking forward to see your journey in the next couple of years.
Speaker 3: For sure that man support black businesses.
Speaker 7: It as not says black supports better.
Speaker 8: For shot everybody on patreon dot com. I'm proud to pay program obviously. Tier five members. You have access to y L University, the number one place for everything in the world of business. Everything. Man. We shout out to all the nine thousand plus earners out of there, and shout out to everybody that's supporting the merch. We got some summer items out there, y'all. We got some summer items there, y'all. I told you it's earnest season. It's always been. It's always our season, y'all. So appreciate y'all wholeheartedly.
Speaker 7: Yes, Yes, thank you guys, rock orders. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 8: Peace, peace, Thank you appreciate. We'll do it.
Speaker 7: We'll do it.
Speaker 5: My graduates from my school being forced back drop bag Drop Mike drop Backdrop.
Speaker 10: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts, an MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,