Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, Welcome to Morning Ron. It is Friday, August twenty ninth. I'm Amy Robots.
Speaker 2: And I'm TJ Holmes. And this is the day a lot of y'all have been dreading. It's finally here. A lot of you folks like cheap goods from overseas. This is going to change the way people shop robes because that cheap stuff you were getting that you know, you got twelve items for seventeen dollars. Yes, that's gonna go up dramatically.
Speaker 1: My kids are big fans of those, yes, and they might not be so much anymore.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you why this is a day that so many of you shoppers have been dreaded. Because, yes, you are personally about to get hit with some tariffs. If you will, we'll explain. Also, Cracker Barrel can't get this right, you know the cracker Barrel controversy. Well, something else has come out. Not did they only make a change to that logo and then change back. They also made changes online robes and some things in particularly like LGBTQ plus US and DEEI have disappeared. A disappeared from their website. We'll explain what's going on there also this morning. I know it might be a name. A lot of folks, a lot of our listeners not familiar, don't keep up necessarily. You know the big names in sports, but you don't know some of the other names. You know who Tom Brady.
Speaker 1: Is, I know quarterbacks names.
Speaker 2: Would you know Michael Parson's name immediately on the top of your head? Okay, this is all you need to know about Michael Parsons. He is now the highest paid player in the NFL in history who didn't play quarterback.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's impressed.
Speaker 2: We'll explain why he is such a big deal right now. Also, as a reminder, on that phone, on that Apple podcast app where you see our page top right corner, a little button says follow, Just click that and you can get our updates and don't have to go looking for him. And there have been plenty of updates, it seems lately, ropes with a lot of news.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's been a very busy news cycle and a busy day today as well. On the run on this Friday morning, we're also going to hear from the parents of those two kids who were killed in the mass shooting at of Minneapolis Catholic School.
Speaker 2: Also Trump fired her, but Lisa Cook is not going out without a fight in court.
Speaker 1: And the state of Florida is on a record setting execution spree, and South Carolina is asking the Supreme Court to determine who can pee where.
Speaker 2: Also this morning, this is concerning. I wasn't familiar, but this is a thing, A flesh eating, potentially deadly flesh eating bacterium is causing some concerns because of an increase in cases. And this is a bacterium again, flesh eating bacterium that you can get from eating oysters. I didn't know in the Gulf it's a thing every year, but some of the numbers have gone up to the point of concerning. And what was the thing you were telling me about this week, the flesh eating screwworm or something.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there's a screwworm out there too. They came from Central America that found its way into the States with one case I believe in Maryland. But you know, my dad always warns again eating oysters in warm waters. This is one of the reasons why. So we'll get into that story. It is, in fact a cautionary tale we begin though our run in Minnesota, where we heard yesterday from the parents of the two kids who were killed in that attack at a Catholic school mass. Another eighteen people were injured when that gunman opened fire through a church window Wednesday morning at Annunciation Catholic School right outside of Minneapolis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an eight year old Fletcher Merkele and ten year old Harper Moyski both died. They have now been identified in their parents. Both We heard from both sets of parents yesterday. Now Fletcher's dad, he actually went before reporters. He got in front of cameras and write this statement. It was difficult, obviously to hear him go through it, but just a couple of things he said. He said one quote, yesterday, a coward decided to take our eight year old son, Fletcher away from us. Because of their actions, we will never be allowed to hold him, talk to him, play with him, and watch him grow until the wonderful young man he was on the path to becoming. That last line sucks. Every time somebody loses a you start thinking about the graduations, you'll miss the weddings, You'll me those kinds of things immediately, And to hear them say that he was on the way to becoming this great young man. Another line from the dad said, please remember Fletcher for the person he was, and not for the act that ended his life. Give your kids an extra hug and kiss today. How he ended it.
Speaker 1: That brings tears to your eyes for every parent. Harper's parents released a statement. They did not go on camera. I mean, I cannot even imagine the courage it takes to stand there in front of cameras in your worst possible moment. But Harper's parents said this in their statement. Our hearts are broken, not only as parents, but also for Harper's sister, who adored her big sister and is grieving an unimaginable loss. As a family, we are shattered and words cannot capture the depth of our pain.
Speaker 2: No, I think about it. We talk about parents obviously so much, but there are siblings who are going to have a very difficult time understanding why the person they right that they were sharing a room with, or that's down the hall from them, to hear about a little sister. Yeah, that's not something I'd given much thought to.
Speaker 1: That's true. We think about the parents, and her parents went on to ask leaders and communities to take meaningful steps to address gun violence and the mental health crisis in this country. They say change is possible and is necessary so that Harper's story does not become yet another and a long line of tragedies. That last line is so reminiscent of every single parent who has lost a child to school shootings. It feels like they say the same thing. They don't want another family to suffer the way they have, and yet it continues to happen.
Speaker 2: Seems like it always falls on deaf ears. Like you have to say, it's almost like obligatory line. We want them to do something about gun control 'VOLDI, New Town. If babies get gun down and we don't do anything about it, then it really the one in Uvoldi when you were standing there neck was it the mayor? My good, it was the mayor. How many babies died in that shooting? And just hours later he still didn't want to heat ready to fight you. He was mentioned gun control to me.
Speaker 1: He got very upset when I mentioned gun control in the fact that this shooter had mental health issues and was still allowed to have access to a gun. He refused to acknowledge that that was not an okay thing which was infuriating.
Speaker 2: And I again I will this is a good place to mention that the police say that these guns that were used in this attack were all legally bought by this attacker. Now, the other shooting victims are all expected to survive, though as of this recording, at least one kid was still listed in critical condition. Meanwhile, police continue to work through and go through really hundreds of pages of writings. This is some really dark and disturbing stuff from this shooter. A lot of evidence that was left behind they are piecing together, enrolled. It looks like a lot of it. He was almost telegraphic telling folks what he was going to do. He had plans for the school and things he was displaying in these videos, So he was telegraphing. And this was all missed.
Speaker 1: And he was an adult, he was twenty three years old. But you just got to think, like, where was his mother? How did she not see something going on? Right?
Speaker 2: And remember I still been talked about much of the debate going back and forth. This was someone who had transitioned, that was living, was born Robert and now Robin, and that's been a big part of the debate. I should say debate, but the rhetoric and the narrative and the nastiness going back and forth, people trying to direct so much of their hate towards the trans community. Now, because of this individual's actions.
Speaker 1: We hope that just there could be lessons learned and perhaps not more hate wielded in this unbelievable tragedy. Well, next up on the Run, we're going to head to Washington, d C. Where Lisa Cook followed through and yes, she has filed a lawsuit against President Trump, who was trying to fire her from her role on the Federal Reserve Board.
Speaker 2: Now, Trump said this week he was removing her from the board after it was discovered she made false statement on a mortgage application, something that Cook is not facing an investigation or charges for. She said she will not resign or be bullied to resign, but said that she would take any questions about her financial history seriously and would gather the accurate information to answer any legitimate questions and provide the.
Speaker 1: Facts in her suit against the president. She called the allegations against her unsubstantiated claims that don't rise to the level of being fired for cause, and reminder, there are seven governors on the Federal Reserve Board. Trump now has three appointees, so if he gets Cook off of the board, he would have a majority of the seven and therefore one could assume he could get those interest rate cuts when he wants them, as he wants that.
Speaker 2: It's wild to think he is the most powerful person on the planet right the president of the United States, and he is still finding ways to get more power. This is supposed to be an independent agency that makes decisions that affect the world economy, and wants more power and influence over it, and he's damn close to getting it. To getting it all right, we continue on the run now in the state of South Carolina is asking the Supreme Court for permission to ban trans kids from certain bathrooms. South Carolina followed an emergency request with the Court yesterday asking the state or asking that the state be allowed to enforce their law.
Speaker 1: It was passed last year, and this law bans transgender kids from using the bathroom that aligns with their gender identity, but an appeals court earlier this month prevented a school from enforcing that band after a transgender boy was suspended from the school for using the boy's bathroom.
Speaker 2: The kids' parents sued. In its decision, the appeals Court wrote that he was quote a fourteen year old student who simply wishes to use the bathroom. Doing so is a biological necessity. Doing so in restrooms that match his gender identity is his right under our precedent. Should know in a matter of weeks at the court, the Supreme Court is going to take up this case, which would be a landmark one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it certainly well, all right. Next up on the run, we're going to head to Louisiana, where two people have died after contracting a flesh eating bacterium after eating raw oysters. The bacterium is called Vibryo vulnificus. It's naturally occurring in warm coastal waters and is more common between May and October.
Speaker 2: So it enters the body through an open wound or when a person eats raw or undercooked seafood. Now, these aren't the first deaths in Louisiana. Two other people have also died this year of the same bacterium. It's also an unusually active year for the state. On average, the state does have seven of these cases per year, and on average one death a year.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, if you ever needed more evidence to not eat raw seafood in warm waters, that would be it, at least during that period of time. So far this year, in addition to the four deaths, twenty two people have been hospitalized and more eighty percent of those cases actually came from open wounds exposed to seawater, not from oysters. But once you've been infected, you can become seriously ill or even need an amputation within a day or two of being exposed. About one in five people infected will die. Those are serious numbers. Yeah, and Louisiana isn't the only state dealing with the bacterium. So far this year, Florida has already reported five deaths and twenty three cases.
Speaker 2: Your dad again, Your dad is a microbiologist, right, This has been his life's work to study food, correct illnesses and food. And it's the thing he screams at us anytime we go to warm water places go south, do not eat the oysters they're walking around trying to serve you on a styrofoam trade.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that's disturbing anyway, but yes, his warning is always fresh in my head. Also, you know, analyst a couple of years ago had seriously injured her legs. She had an open wound and we were near the ocean and my dad said, do not go into the water. And she was younger, she was crying, please, I just want to go. He's like, least you are not going in that water. I wouldn't have known to tell her she couldn't, but I get it now.
Speaker 2: This is a reminder. This is real and even though it's rare, you don't want it one in five something that has a twenty percent death rate that you don't mess around with that exactly continuing on the run now, Maga got mad. So Cracker Barrel scrapped a plan to change its logo, but turns out they didn't stop there. Cracker Barrel has also scrapped a section of its website that specifically referenced LGBTQ Plus and diversity initiatives.
Speaker 1: In particular, they remove their pride page and their DEI Belonging Team is now nowhere to be found. As recently as this week, the company had a page on its website that read, on behalf of Cracker Barrel's LGBTQ Plus Alliance and DEI Belonging Team, we want to celebrate you for being you. It is our greatest mission to ensure that pleasing people means all people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that ain't there no more. You can't find that now. That could still be in their hearts, but it's not on their website. But the company in a statement, explained the changes this way quote. In connection with the company's brand work, we have recently made updates to the Cracker Barrel website, including adding new content and removing out of date content. Several months ago, the company also made changes to our business resource groups that now focus on sponsorships or events on our corporate giving initiatives, addressing food and security, supporting community needs through food, and reducing food waste. Okay, the worthy causes early not, Yes.
Speaker 1: They certainly are. Earlier this week, Cracker Barrel announced they were abandoning a plan to update its fifty year old logo. That updated logo, yes, removed the old man in overalls and the barrel, while right wingers went after them for trying to be too woke, and in a matter of days the company reversed course.
Speaker 2: I believe this is happening Cracker Barel. I don't know where its stock is. Remember, plummeted and it lost one hundred million dollars immediately after the logo. I don't know if it's bound it now.
Speaker 1: With some of this stuff, well, money talks, and when you start to lose massive amounts like that, you can see the scramble that has taken place.
Speaker 2: This place. I haven't mentioned I I hated this place as a kid. I hated Cracker Barrew. Why. I don't know. Like I'm sitting here, I'm not how anything against Cracker Barrew. I'm saying, like the kid, my dad used to go, he used to like it, but I felt uncomfortable always in that setting. Yes, we're from the South, A family of four black family walks in.
Speaker 1: You know, that's the scene you see in the record Scratch.
Speaker 2: You walk in, and it was always a record scratch moment. And just as a kid, I'm telling you to this day, I was always uncomfortable. I hate because my dad loved the place.
Speaker 1: And that's when you have to say, trust your gut. If you felt that way, there was a ree as a child. Wow hate. Don't worry, baby, I've never been, don't plan on going, and nothing against it, but we don't have them in New York City. Really, I've never seen one.
Speaker 2: Continue again. I am not bad mouthing this organization, but as a child, I remember that memory as a child, just ugh, we gotta go to Cracker Barrel and just having to walk into this place where it was uncomfortable as a kid all the time. Why it was and why I felt that way don't know, but I remember it. All right, Let's go to Florida. Things have been uncomfortable down there for a little while this year because they are setting records. I don't know if they're set out to set this record road, but it's happened. They're having a record year in executions. The state carried out it's eleventh of the year last night. Curtis Windham had a last minute appeal to the Supreme Court. It was denied to it cleared the way for the convicted triple murderer to be executed by lethal injection.
Speaker 1: Previously, the most the state had ever executed in one year was eight, so they have far surpassed that. That was back in twenty fourteen and then in nineteen eighty four. But guess what, it doesn't stop there at eleven. They have another one scheduled in three weeks. By the way, there have been thirty executions in this country so far this year. That is the most since twenty fourteen. In Texas and South Carolina are the next two, but Florida is far surpassing them because they only have four each. I the way correct, But now, yeah, Florida's gonna be at twelve here in a month.
Speaker 2: Well, folks, stay with us here on this Friday morning. Ron when we come back. You folks who love to buy inexpensive should I say, cheap goods internationally, well your shopping game is about to change as up today because duty free is over. But it's not gonna be a problem for Michael Parsons. Yes, this NFL player can afford anything he wants after he just set a record with his contract.
Speaker 1: Before we go to break, I have to tell you about new leggings I've been living in lately. They're from this brand called Tona and fun fact here they were actually designed by the same visionary behind Lululemon, So from that alone, you already know they're gonna be pretty good. These leggings feel like a second skin. They're super flattering, super comfortable, and somehow still supportive. I've been wearing them on my morning runs and they've quickly become my everyday lounging leggings too. And here's what makes them even better. Every pair you buy helps fund a mental health counseling session for a teen in need. Tona's on a mission to end teen suicide and self harm, which we think is so important and incredible, So we've partnered with Tona to give you twenty percent off your order and free shipping. Head to tonaactive dot com and use code iHeart for twenty percent off and free shipping.
Speaker 2: Let's continue on this Friday morning run now with a major change. If you buy sell anything internationally, duty free shipping is over today. It's been a century long rule called the deminimous Exemption that allows consumers to avoid tariffs on goods valued at eight hundred dollars or so.
Speaker 1: Now, as of today, you will be charged whatever tariff is in place for that country or the origin of the goods, and those goods are going to face even tighter customs checks. Bottom line, this is going to be a mess for international shipping. Ninety percent of all shipments fall under this rule. So if you're used to those bargain prices from outlets like Sheen, get ready to pay more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they overwhelming majority of packages from China fall under this exemption. Some shipments have already been put on hold by some carriers in recent days as they prepared for the change that President Trump announced back in July into July.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, last year, by the way, nearly one point four billion packages entered America duty free. And so President Trump has said the duty free policy has been harmful to US businesses and has been abused to smuggle illegal drugs into our country. So he's claiming that US businesses are going to get more money and that US residents are going to be protected. They're going to be safer because fewer drugs are going to be coming into the company.
Speaker 2: But you're going to be paying more for your stuff. It kind of makes it a US company might be more competitive now because you're having to not just pay for the cheap good, which you prefer, correct, but this huge tarifflem you might go, Ah, the hell with it, I'll just buy local.
Speaker 1: That's what the hope is. But we shall see what actually ends up being the case. Because several businesses here in the United States say when they have to get parts or small goods or the items that they need for their business here in the United States are going to dramatically their profit margins are going to dramatically shrink.
Speaker 2: All right, final leg of our run here, Oh, profit margins are going up for this young folllow. We don't have to tell you about every big new contract or professional athlete signs. There's a bunch of them flying around there. We don't usually report on them. This one's record setting, and it's worth noting. And this one is a record setting highest paid player in the NFL. Now he has set a record. The highest paid player ever in the NFL who did not throw the ball, is what he is.
Speaker 1: He's not a quarterback, yes, obviously. Yes, we're used to seeing quarterbacks get ridiculous contracts because you know their names, you know their faces. They're literally the star of the field, yes, of course. But defensive ends, how many of those can you name?
Speaker 2: Michael Stray.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. I love. Stray didn't even really know what his position was. I'm gonna be honest here. That's just me being fully transparent. But yeah, I could not name a defensive end for you.
Speaker 2: You know, Reggie White, you know that name, Green Bay Packers. Maybe okay, all right, well you don't know that one.
Speaker 1: You don't know them. I was speaking the truth. TJ defensive end Micah Parsons was signed with the Green Bay Packers after an acrimonious divorce from the Dallas Cowboys. So things were tough, things weren't going well.
Speaker 2: But they've been hooting and hollering him and Jerry Jones and just pay the man. And he wouldn't pay him what the market says he should get. So he gets straighted. He goes to Green Bay and immediately he becomes the highest paid player ever who's not a quarterback. And what does that look like. It's a four year, one hundred and eighty eight million dollar contract. About one hundred and thirty of that is guaranteed. Wow. It So no matter what he does, he's going to get one hundred and thirty million, no matter how well he plays, how bad he plays, he's gonna get that money. That's unreal. Parsons four time Pro bowler. That doesn't sound like a lot, but he's only been in the league four years.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: He is young and a stud and has been doing it every single year since he came in. He's regarded as one of, if not the best defensive player in the NFL. Congrats to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, congratulations, that's impressive as hell. How old is he? You said he was one of the youngest ones.
Speaker 2: He's Oh yeah, he's only been in the league four years, so.
Speaker 1: Wow, early twenties. Oh who? All right, well, let's get inspired. Let's get inspired. Let's give you something to take with you throughout the day. That's our quote of the day. Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. That is from Maya Angelou. She has so many good ones. I actually have to like tell myself, don't put another Maya Angelou quote in this week, because you've already done so. She has so many incredible quotes. But I loved this one and it just is a reminder to be in awe.
Speaker 2: How many I mean, did you think about you? We got challenge everybody to take a moment today or think about your week. How many times did you allow yourself to just have your breath taken away by something that's amazing in front of you. I say this to you all the time. We live in Lower Manhattan and we stop sometimes and look up at the World Trade Tower. Now we just look like, damn, that thing is gorgeous. It's just unbelievable some of the things that are around us that we just walk by and take advantage or just assume they'll be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I think sometimes it's just seeing a smile on someone's face, or it can be the smallest things, the look in your partner's eyes or hugging your child. That is something that should take our breath away, that we're so lucky to have and to be able to be surrounded by. So yeah, it's kind of fun to look for those moments. I think it's they're all around us, we just have to see them. So life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take.
Speaker 2: Our breath away.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Maya Angelou, and thank you for listening. Everyone on this Friday.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robot and I'm TJ. Holmes. Y'all have a good one. We'll be hanging with you again soon.