Speaker 1: You're listening to Fox Sports Radio Radio.
Speaker 2: It's a Dan Patrick show here the Man Cave on Fox Sports Radio. He's LeVar Arrington. That guy's Brady Quinn. I'm Jonas Knox in for Dan and the guys. You can hear us weekday mornings before the Dan Patrick Show on Two Pros and a Cup of Joe from six to nine am Eastern Time, but we will be carrying the load the rest of the way here until noon Eastern time nine o'clock Pacific Today. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app on hundreds of affiliates. You can listen to the podcast, and you can check out our brand new YouTube channel for the show. Just search two pros FSR on YouTube. Begin that's two pros FSR. Be sure to hit the subscribe button. Don't stop there, hit the thumbs up icon and comment away. Let us know who on the show you agree with, who you think is completely wrong. Check out our new channel on YouTube. Begin Just search two pros FSR and subscribe, And good morning to you and yours. What up? Sticks?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What up?
Speaker 4: You're always like laid back man like you never get as much excitement out of you.
Speaker 3: You know what's up, y'all? What what ut BEFERRONI cowboy?
Speaker 2: You got all the kids in town? Are you guys all love? What's New Year's even gonna look like? I don't know, man gett.
Speaker 5: I want to be probably probably start as soon as the show was over.
Speaker 3: It probably started yesterday already started continuing into today. They top golfed yesterday.
Speaker 5: So my son's actually a pretty doll going good golfer man, the younger one. So they went to golf have a good time doing that.
Speaker 3: Did you bring Monsy? Well?
Speaker 5: I know she loves top golf. I know and in Vegas too, of all places. We didn't take her yesterday. Sorry, what's up?
Speaker 3: Mancy? Might be we might need to retire that?
Speaker 2: All right? So you guys want to hear John Caspary bitch about uh about a situation that's currently going on in college basketball. He recruited me cal party did Where was he?
Speaker 3: Then? You mass?
Speaker 5: That was when he had us cambi in. Yeah, they had that year, that magical year they practiced on our court. He came there because his his head coach was my head coach. His college head coach was my high school head coach, and they were recruiting me. So they brought the team there to practice. He came and gave us a great speech.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, got recruited by coach cal Bob Huggins.
Speaker 3: Who else John Thompson.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, yeah, that's what I'm talking about me.
Speaker 5: I had a few Villanova recruited me. I had a few few teams. You know that I just stopped growing, that's all, you know, that was the problem. I would have had to become a real basketball player if I was going to play basketball. It's too short to just use talent.
Speaker 3: So that's wild too, because how sorry you like six four six six four six four, it's like six y three just under six four, right.
Speaker 4: It's just funny though that like you're like this, yeah, but this is the way you're saying it, Like I'd have to become a real basketball player, which you know.
Speaker 3: For most people like I just I don't know. I think you were better than most.
Speaker 5: I had a vertical I could jump. I think what had people confused is I was getting rebounds over guys that were like six nine, six ten. But it's only because I could move quicker. You know, the taller they were, the slower they were, and I beat I beat quads up, elbowed quads, So you didn't get off the ground as quick, didn't move as quick. I was like a rockman. I was a work guy. I was gonna run, run, run, run, use my quicks off.
Speaker 3: The court too.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Yeah ruined me. Basketball ruined me. Football saved me. Basketball ruined me. It's a different level of clout when you play basketball. Man, I ain't gonna lie to you like I was on the circus, you know, a bro. I was on the travel circuit and that that iso very different than football.
Speaker 2: Bob Huggins showed you the row.
Speaker 5: So hey, brouh, it's very different from football. I don't know why, like I was considered to be way handso murder being a basketball player than I was a football player. But it is what it is. It's still all worked out so well.
Speaker 2: I mean, the good news is you could probably go back and play now based on I got one year, based on what we've seen. So we talked about this a little bit yesterday on our show.
Speaker 3: Yes Wow.
Speaker 2: James Naji, who was a former NBA draft pick. He was the thirty first overall pick. I believe in twenty twenty three, he's with Baylor. Now he has now gone back and he's playing with Baylor, and so some people have not been thrilled about what he's going on. Yeah, it's the whole things wild. You got European players that are coming in that are all it just none of it makes any sense. And John Calipari decided, you know what, somebody's got to speak up. Let me be the guy.
Speaker 6: Well, look, I don't blame coaches. You know, I've got friends that are playing with twenty seven year olds and they feel bad. I said, don't feel bad. We don't have any rules. Why should you feel bad? But let me give you this real simple. The rules bees the rules. So if you put your name in the draft, I don't care if you're from Russia and you stay in the draft, you can't play college basketball. Well that's only for American kids. What if your name is in that draft and you got drafted, you can't play cup because that's our rule. Yeah, but that's only for American kids. Okay, okay, Now here's the next lawsuit. Well, we don't have a say over European players. You do if they're playing in college basketball. So that means you don't have a say over high school kids. So whatever a high school kid does before he comes here, don't you do one thing because there's a suit, Because what you're saying is if he's in Europe, we don't have the same rules. Does anybody care what this is doing for seventeen and eighteen year old American kids? Do you know what this opportunity has done for them and their families? There aren't gonna be any high school kids who other than dumb people like me are going to recruit high school kids. I get so much satisfaction out of coaching young kids and seeing them grow and make it and their family life changes that I'm gonna keep doing it.
Speaker 3: But why would anybody else?
Speaker 6: If you can get NBA players, G League players, guys that are twenty eight years old, guys from Europe?
Speaker 3: Do we really know their transcript? Do we have somebody over there? Do we really know their birth certificate?
Speaker 2: So that was John Calipari, let it be own his feelings on the situation involving guys returning to college basketball late into their twenties with eligibility still remaining in the NBA draft. Charlie Baker, the NCAA president, He responded with a statement, on Tuesday that said, quote, the NCAA is not and will not grant eligibility to any perspective or returning student athletes who have signed an NBA contract, including a two way contract. Calipari was on ESPN last night and said, well, they're moving the goalpost now because now it's if you haven't signed a contract, you can't come back. But when before it was if you are in the draft and you get drafted, that's it.
Speaker 4: And and they're saying that because of their legal expertise that someone's provided Charlie Baker, that they feel like they can say that and not get sued because every time the NCAA has gone, you know, up against the judicial system, they've lost. This is an inflection point for college sports, and it's one of the reasons like why on our show on two Pros, I've continually talked about this with you guys in regards to everything kind of seems up in the air, and basketball has been further ahead because there's been this whole you know, at first you could just leave right from high school and go to play professional basketball, and then it came back in with the one undone and John Calipari was one of the first to really embrace that and embody that, but even allowing that to take place was a step closer to completely disregarding the educational component and the developmental component. And there's elements of that that are still at play in college football right now, and that's brought forth by the transfer portal because that's now become big business. So I say it's an inflection point for college sports in general right now because we've almost looked at trying to like, in a way private ties this whole experience for young people and what this experience means. It used to mean development, It used to mean getting an education.
Speaker 3: It used to mean, you.
Speaker 4: Know, graduating with a degree, a platform, a network, and a foundation, where after you were rewarded with that, you'd move on into the private sect or you'd potentially be lucky enough to be one of the one to two to three percent, depending on the sport, to play professionally. But at some point that ends. And now we've looked at it's completely different. We're like, well, wait a second, these players should be compensated, and yet we haven't had anyone come up with a structure that allows both things to work where they can be compensated, yet at the same time, we can still keep the educational component there for them. So there's something for these young men and women when they get done with their playing careers to fall back on to then go search for whatever that next is.
Speaker 3: That's the tough part.
Speaker 4: About this whole conversation is as much as we want to make light of it and joke about it, there is a lot of people who are impacted at the high school level moving into college that are having opportunities taken away from people who already had that opportunity and they weren't good enough. And I'll even go as far as saying this the NCAA whimping out with how many eligibility waivers they've granted for a lot of players who are now playing, you know.
Speaker 3: Six seven years of college football.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing that same players taking up a high school players roster spot and his opportunity to crack into you know, onto the field and play and make his impact.
Speaker 3: But it's all because it's become big business. Now. I hate it where it's at.
Speaker 4: I understand why it's where it is, and I'm not like arguing for you know, student athletes not to be compensated, but there does need to be a reckoning where someone comes and saves the day. And I'm sorry, I'm just not a believer that the federal government is going to do it, even though it feels like every time Charlie Baker speaks he's begging Congress to step in and give them some sort of anti trust protection.
Speaker 5: I think it's a it's a tremendously large conversation that Kyler Perry opened because there are a lot of unknowns there are, and there are a lot of different different ways of doing things and different ways of seeing things. And that's by sport. I mean, it's it's touched into now the gender conversation. You don't even you know, need to go down that road right now, but I mean that is a conversation that's out there as well. You know, people's ability to compete and where they're competing at. You know that those lines have been now been crossed and have been blurred, and those conversations are ensuing. But you know, by sport, you're talking about people that are you know when they say to Euros, you know it costs more, it costs more to bring European players here to play for one, it costs more, and a lot of times they go straight from from high school to pro There is no light, there is no system set up the way it's set up here in America. And so if you're if you are living and dying by going after that that what you would call experience and trying to bring that here to be able to compete and win in the certain sports that exists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're you're right.
Speaker 5: It is going to hurt what takes place with high school kids and developmental situations because you're not looking to develop kids. It's so interesting, we'll say, We'll hear coaches say it's all about the development, it's all about the development. But you you go into their practices, whether it's football, whether it's basketball, baseball, hockey, whatever you choose the sport. A lot of times when you go to these colleges, they are not doing focused development periods like they used to.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 5: They get straight into it, they go right to it. No real development. And for what it's worth. The one thing that you mentioned Q that really is kind of becoming a scarcity is the educational component of it. You don't hear people speak on education. It's almost like the nil phase of where we are in college athletics has almost muted the conversation of how important education is in this scenario because most of the vast majority of these people will have to find a job post college career, the vast, vast, vast majority of them. And so now what are we doing. We're not only not preparing them to be able to compete, because we want them to be ready made to compete. Come in ready made. If you're not ready to go, then I'm going.
Speaker 3: With who is?
Speaker 5: But now you're also talking about those the expectations have have really really dowed in on what your obligations and your duties are to your team, to your team, and it only becomes an issue with your grades when your grades are an issue, right, it's not. It's not, oh, you didn't go to class, okay, like you're going to get in trouble for that. They have rules to govern like, you know, going to class and getting grades, but it's really not going to be a focal point until you've done something that gets you in trouble, you get bad grades, you're not going to class, whatever it may be. But it's not a main focal point of what's taking place. So I look at it like there's such as such a large conversation because the way we look at things. Yet you go, you enter your name into the draft, you can't come back. That's how I always thought it was, and I thought that is what it was.
Speaker 3: I think it was when you signed with an agent.
Speaker 5: But yeah, when you when you signed with I thought it was when you declare it for the draft.
Speaker 3: I don't know. And if you got drafted whatever it is, well for for basketball, excuse me?
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, So so again across sports, if you think about it, you can get drafted in hockey and still they go play. You can get drafted in baseball and still go play. You can be a pro in volleyball and still go play, you know what I mean. So it's like so many different different, uh you know, ways of how things are done by sport. It's this is going to be a very very difficult conversation to like come up with solutions for.
Speaker 4: Let me play Devil's advocate to you, Jonas in this situation, because wouldn't you look at this and just say, well, isn't that isn't.
Speaker 3: This how it's supposed to be done?
Speaker 4: Like don't you go to college, if you're a student to then figure out what you want to do, how are you gonna make money when.
Speaker 3: You get out?
Speaker 4: And if student athletes have already been able to do that at the college level, then yeah, I think we understand the long term impact or the long term risks that are involved if you don't get your degree. But if you're making money while you're doing that, Like, isn't that the entire goal?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I look at it, and I've said this to you guys before, it doesn't feel like this is college sports anymore. It's this in between gray area between college and professional to where they're selling you the illusion of well, it's college and it's a college experience and it's this and it's that.
Speaker 3: But there's money. There's a lot of money.
Speaker 2: There's influence, there's agents, there's like all of these things that are that are now being factored into it. That's professional Like, that's pro sports. Like that's what you deal with at the pro level. And I don't begrudge any of them, because yes, like that is the goal. You go to college to find out what's my next step? What do I want to do in life? And they've figured this out and they're just like John Caliparty said it in the clip. He said, look, I got friends that are you know, kind of feel bad. I mean, I would you know, question that how bad they actually feel. Yeah, they've got twenty seven year olds on there on the table. But John Calparty's like, well, look, don't feel bad. We don't have any rules. There's nothing to govern all this. And so there is also.
Speaker 3: That John's the moral compass.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's the other thing too, Like you know, he made it a point, you know, to let everybody know, hey, listen, I recruit this way.
Speaker 3: He's self plugged. He definitely shamelessly plugged.
Speaker 2: He was. He was one of the first guys that went one and done all the way through. I mean, Brady knows his time in Kentucky, John Caliparty's time there.
Speaker 3: Bring it up now.
Speaker 4: So he's like he's I mean, look, he's one of the he's a Hall of Fame recruiter.
Speaker 3: Now what he's done with some of those teams.
Speaker 4: A little disappointed as far as the development, but again, you well, when you only have one year to make it work to your point, levard it's tough like that, and I think that's one of the issues too. With even looking at like college football, where you've got to be outle of high school for three years before your draft eligible. But nowadays coaches instead of looking at a guy that gets there in high school and maybe he has to put on twenty thirty pounds and maybe you has to learn how to play the position or learn their scheme and then and then adapt to you know, the challenges of being like a maturing adult with your time management, being away from home, all that stuff. You know, Now they just go, well, that guy's not ready, We're going to find some of the transfer portal that's right, and they bring in a guy who they've seen on film can do the things that they're looking for. And again that's NFL, that is free agency. That is exactly what's happening. And it's important too because you know, not it's not happening in college quite as much because there's so much money with somebody his head coaching positions, so the buyouts are too big. But you know, as far as being a one and done coach, but there's elements of I think for players and families and the frustration of not getting the development they're hoping for, at least at some places like I don't want to speak for everyone because everyone's you know, there's different schools that I think do it right, and I think there's you know, unique circumstances that are involved in some of this always. But for football, for sure, because it's such a developmental sport.
Speaker 3: You know, there's guys who their bodies changed dramatically.
Speaker 4: And for basketball, it's a little bit different because there they've always been on the fast track. They identify kids in junior high as you talked about when you're on that AAU circuit and you're one of those dudes like Cooper Flag.
Speaker 3: People knew about Cooper Flag for forever ago, now.
Speaker 5: Have you that's everybody and that And that's a great point, and I know we're up on it, but don't you think it now has to start earlier, like we have to like the way we approach athletics has to be looked at differently now. And it's interesting because it's something that I'm working on. I'm actually going to be teaching at Penn State upcoming semester. You have to learn teach.
Speaker 3: Arrington. You're not going to be you're being Professor Arrington.
Speaker 5: And part of writing the curriculum too, and you got to move there.
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know it has to It has to be a coming of uh of terms that extracurricular needs to be thrown out for sports. We've been brainwashed to look at sports as extra curricular. But there's so many opportunities that exist in sports, from agents to money managers, to legal representation, to the athlete themselves, to marketing and branding and advertising. There's so many opportunities that exist in the category. We have to stop segregating, separating athletics from amics. And I think that that's the biggest thing. We have been brainwashed from day one to think that everything else is more important.
Speaker 3: Go to school, what do you do?
Speaker 5: You take your classes, and then when you're done with school, then you go do the extracurricular things like playing a sport, the sport that you're playing for. You have to there has to be a understanding that the training, the development, the preparation of how you're how you're being educated at the younger levels has to become I think it has to become more of a focal point. And I know we see these different schools that are like an IMG. You know, you see it at these different places that have the money and the resources to do it. But there has to be a different approach to how we view athletics moving forward as this NIL era continues to grow. Because it's impacting the high school level, it's impacting, it's.
Speaker 3: Impacting middle school.
Speaker 5: Like youth athletics is being impacted by the in il and and so to me, there's a preparation that isn't taking place. And to be educated as kids, to be educated as.
Speaker 3: Parents, as adults. They don't know.
Speaker 2: When you guys were in high school, do you remember taking a finance class?
Speaker 5: Yes, I learned how to write checks, I learned how to balance my check work.
Speaker 3: I learned how to do all those things. But it was it was well standing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the simple stuff.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: There should be something to Hey, you're gonna have a lot of money coming your way at a really young age.
Speaker 3: Let us teach you what it could be.
Speaker 2: Now it could be now, like make that part of the requirement if you want. You've got to learn how this works. So at least you've given them the tools. If they don't use it, that's fine, but at least you've given them the opportunity to learn.
Speaker 4: And and then I think that's part of some of the curriculum. Now, that's that's inherent to every nil program and every school and the college level, you know, as far as high school. It's kind of it's it's tough to do that because you're really talking about like the one point one percent. It's such a small population that falls in this category.
Speaker 3: I mean even across that.
Speaker 5: Will go pro, that will go pro, sure, But but the idea of understanding the business of sport, that's everybody. That's that's all, and they should have the opportunity to be educated that way. Somebody that that played with you on the football team could have been a part of your business unit moving forward through school.
Speaker 3: You know, they could have been the person that.
Speaker 5: Was making sure that your your branding was was correct. Like what is Brady Brady's brand? We're going to make sure that brand is built and pronounced. What what is he doing financially? Like is he able to generate modeling gigs and stuff like that?
Speaker 2: He's got the meat wagon, come on whatever?
Speaker 5: Who but think about it, his best friends are his best friends and they're still buddies from high school.
Speaker 2: The role doing anything to help this process.
Speaker 3: There's a role for everybody is what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And if that role is carrying the bags and it might be carrying the bags and meat wagon, your your back. We're people too, bro, I'm with you on that. Don't let them hold you down, man, just be who you are.
Speaker 3: But I'm just.
Speaker 5: Saying there is the idea that the educating of what sport represents it should not be looked at as extracurricular. You know, we don't look at you preparing to be a scientist as being extracurricular. We don't look at you being an architect or a lawyer as being extracurricular.
Speaker 3: So let's look.
Speaker 5: At something that is a tremendous fabric of what our culture and our society is, which is sports, and make it more of a focal point so that we can actually have prepared parents and student athletes that are more enlightened and understanding what the landscape presents. People don't even know what NIL is. Still to this day, ask some people.
Speaker 3: About what NIL is. They wouldn't be able to tell you what it is.
Speaker 5: So educating them at an earlier age get parents on the same page at an earlier age for both those who will continue on to be pros and those who will continue on to be students. I might have been a really really good football player and a basketball player at the high school level. I'm not going to make it at the college level, but I still want to be a part of that sport. You're now giving them opportunities as well. You're opening up the gates to having people be more empowered with the changing landscape of what sports represents.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: That's to me, I feel like that's what's grossly missing in America because they don't play that. In Europe, they don't play that. If you are good, they come get you and you're out of there. You're already it's already what it is. But here we don't do that. In fact, we frown on it. If we give if we give benefits and favoritism to elites in athletics, it's frowned upon, and people try to find rules to govern in it and keep them from doing it. I've seen more than enough kids get, you know, suspended for seasons because they wanted to go play out of school where there was better coaching or better exposure or better education.
Speaker 3: On what it is that they're they're trying to do.
Speaker 5: There's always a roadblock that we're putting up to try to block the idea of forwarding sports.
Speaker 3: And I don't understand that that it has to change at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think part of that curriculum should be radio formatics as well. By the way, for over forty years, ty rack has been helping customers find the right tires for how, what and what thatve ship fast and freeback by free road has a protection with convenient installation options like multile tire installation tire rack dot com the way tire buying should be look at the time. By the way, coming up next here we are going to have their addition of Quinn's Wins as we get you set for the college football playoffs and it's yours here ont FSR.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Pauly Fools go ahead with Tony Foodsco.
Speaker 7: Yeah, as everybody knows, we're the hosts of the award winning Polly and Tony Foodsco Show. Yeah, but instead of us telling you how great we are, here's how Dan Patrick described us when he came on our.
Speaker 2: Show, quick, knowledgeable and funny, opinionated. What do you doing? We were interrupting our promo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't talking about you. You took those clips totally of context.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, well after this promo, I'm gonna take you out and beat you.
Speaker 2: Let me put this into context. Shut up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Anyway, just listening to the Paully and Tony Fosco Show on iHeartRadio, Apple podcasts oherever you get your podcasts, yee.
Speaker 2: It's a Dan Patrick show. Here on Fox Sports Radio, LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas knock with you in for Dan and the guys. Coming up, we are going to do something we do on our weekday show. We hand out awards here. It's the good, the bad, and the ugly. We'll get to those again here about fifteen minutes from now. You know, we wanted to let you know that there's an opportunity to make a little bit of cash, right, a little bit of cash, and if you're not part of that one percent that Brady and LeVar were referring to when talking about themselves in the world of sports, here's how you can do it because feeding off the success of our college basketball bracket challenge each March, we decided to do a bracket challenge for the college football Playoff. That's right, baby. With eight teams left standing in the college football Playoff, its bracket challenge time. Compete against our Fox Sports Radio host like us and against fellow listeners to see who has the best college football Playoff bracket. Here's how you do it. You play for your chance to win one thousand dollars by visiting Foxsports Radio dot iHeart dot com to register again foxsports Radio dot iHeart dot com to register, get rules, and to fill out your bracket. Entry will be open until tonight just before kickoff at seven thirty pm Eastern time. Again, fill out your bracket at Foxsports Radio dot iHeart dot com for your chance to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: And with that we give you this. I'm a winner winning. Here's all illnesses it really does. I'm going to win. It's Quinn's wins.
Speaker 4: That's right, abbreviated a version of this. So let's just get right into it. We are what a game or two above five hundred I think for the year. Well, look, he was on, he was on when he was excited about that the last conversation.
Speaker 3: Nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 4: Let's kick things off though, in the quarteral quarter final rounds. We're gonna talk about the bowl games that matter the most, and we've got a big one later on this evening six thirty or seven thirty pm Eastern. Excuse me, Miami taking on Ohio State. Miami obviously, with their close win over Texas and m in the first round, take it on the Buckeyes team that yes, lost in the Big Ten championship, however, still got a buy is still the number two overall seed, and they are favored by nine and a half points. Jonas, keep me honest in these lines, correct. I know there's always some movement. I see this one being closer than the experts think. There's a lot of money too that's holding up this line at nine and a half on the Miami side of things. But this is a team that's I think been overlooked a bit this season, and partly because the inconsistent quarterback played by Carson Beck. However, they've got playmakers all around. Mark Fletcher Junior the running back. He can tote the rock. This offensive line is massive for Miami and they've done a really good job at providing running lanes but also providing protection to Beck this season.
Speaker 3: And then Malachai TONI keep an eye on him. He'll move him around all over the field.
Speaker 4: He's just a legit playmaker as a freshman, and he's helped kind of create some big moments for this team throughout the course of the season. On the flip side, Messador and Rubin Bank two of the best edge rushers.
Speaker 3: In college football. Two guys are going to hear their names called really early in next year's draft.
Speaker 4: They're going to be tough to deal with for this Ohio State offensive line, which, again, when you really look at this Ohio State team, I asked the question earlier, who's the best quarterback they faced all year? Probably Mendoza. It's probably fair to say that might have been the best offense they faced. And even though it was a low scoring game, tight game, one in which Ohio State could have very well won, they didn't.
Speaker 3: In the end, I think this is another lower scoring game, tight game, don't.
Speaker 4: I think nine and a half points is too much, so I'm gonna take the nine and a half points.
Speaker 3: I do think the Buck guys move on to win this game.
Speaker 4: Though, so that's my first pick is Miami plus the nine and a half points in that matchup.
Speaker 3: Next up, we'll talk about the.
Speaker 4: Orange Bowl tomorrow at noon Eastern Oregon laying two and a half points. Last time I looked Jonas versus Texas Tech. This Oregon team reminds me a bit of Ohio State last year, where you know, I remember Ohio State didn't make it a Big Ten championship game. It was Oregon who ran the table. It was Oregon who got the buy and then Oregon who subsequently last year in the playoff got blown out by Ohio State. But this team is really it has all the pieces. My only concern is whether or not Texas Tech can run the football effectively to create some of the balance and really expose The only issue I've seen this year for Morgan's defense is their ability to stop the run. They've got the playmakers to rush on the edges. They've got the secondary too. I think they get turnovers. It just comes down to if Texas Tech wants to play Boy Ball and if they have enough balance they were running the football. But Dante Moore could be making a case for being the number one overall pick after this year. If he decides to leave school, I've got him as one of the top quarterbacks, if not the top quarterback as we head into the draft.
Speaker 3: I just think there's too much talent on Oregon, too much speed. It's been a great year for Texas Tech.
Speaker 4: I do think this will be another close game, but only the two and a half points here with Oregon. Next up Georgia taking on Old Miss Georgia laying six and out points.
Speaker 2: Jonas, is that still the line that's correct?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: Georgia has continually improved as the season has gone on. If you're an SEC fan and you're looking like you always do to root for one team of your conference and then claimants the conference dominance, it would be get behind Georgia.
Speaker 3: Gunnar Stockton's been somewhat of a playmaker.
Speaker 4: They found more of a balanced rushing attack, and defensively, they're one of the best defenses in the country. I think this is where the road stops for Old Miss. Triudadad Chambliss has had a tremendous season. Old Miss is at a tremendous season. They really haven't been challenged though they only played four teams with winning records this year. That excludes, obviously their Round one win vers Tulane, which again not really much of a challenge. We already saw that game earlier this season. That was arguably one of their best wins of the year, so this is a completely different challenge. I think Old miss would be outclassed Georgia. You laid the six and a half points and they move on. Finally, last game is I'm looking through my notes, Why am I blanking Alabama?
Speaker 2: Indiana?
Speaker 3: There we go Alabama, danam my goodness.
Speaker 4: The number one team in the country is IU and they've exceeded all expectations this year and just winning the Big Ten, running the table, beating Ohio State.
Speaker 3: If there was any.
Speaker 4: Questions or concerns about what this team's capable of doing, they've won in a variety of ways. They stomped an Illinois team that was ranked in the top twenty at that point in time three to ten. They beat who was looked at as the best team all season in Ohio State in the Big Ten championship game.
Speaker 3: Down the stretch.
Speaker 4: They've won a dramatic fashion versus a good Penn State team on the road. Yes, and I understand, you know, people will take issue with that, but I still think Penn State is a better team. People give them credit, but this isn't a challenge I think.
Speaker 3: For IU where they I just.
Speaker 4: Don't trust them in the trenches to be able to compete with Alabama throughout the course of the game.
Speaker 3: Even though Alabama was.
Speaker 4: Elected not to really want to run the football, I do think they're going to have to have a little bit more balance if they want to beat Indiana. But Simpsons played phenomenal. Ryan Williams is a tough matchup Jeremy Bernard. They've got playmakers on the outside that are tough to keep up with. This Alabama defense has improved. I'm not even saying they win this thing outright. I wouldn't be surprised if they do. But I am taking the points in Alabama. I think a touchdown, which last time I checked it was at seven points, is a seven to seven half, still seven.
Speaker 3: I would take the seven points and Bama. I think this is another tighter game.
Speaker 4: Which, mind, you go through Indiana season when if they played a good team and it hasn't been a tight game if you include Iowa in that conversation, tight game. We talked about the end of game heroics versus Penn State. We talked about the end of game heroics versus Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship game. Outside of the Illinois game, most of their big games have been tight. So this is one where I think it's it's too big of a number. Alabama's too talented in certain spots that can create an issue, and I do think Obama keeps within the number. So take the seven points here and the Crimson tie.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about right there, baby.
Speaker 5: Yeahs oh oh, we brought it back.
Speaker 3: There was an effort made.
Speaker 2: We got it, ladies and gentlemen. Geez, Mark, just trying to like that, Mark, Mark, you got to turn your phone off when you're doing the show. What's wrong with you? I know, with an accident, you know, talking to people.
Speaker 3: You know, it gets in the way of works. The toys. Damn.
Speaker 2: By the way, I did put together a little parlay on DraftKings based on the Quinns wins. So Miami plus nine and a half, Oregon minus two and a half, Georgia minus six and a half, Alabama plus seven. If you bet ten dollars on that, you're gonna win just a little bit over one hundred and twenty six. All right, so ten bucks wins you one hundred and twenty six. And if you want to get real risky and real frisky, a thousand wins you twelve hundred and sixty three dollars or one hundred bucks wins you twelve hundred and sixty about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not worth a thousand. Don't do that.
Speaker 2: You're doing it here. A thousand would bring you back twelve grand. So listen, there's there's opportunities out there. I think I'm gonna four leg it. What do you think about that? LaVar always three legs, and I'm gonna face.
Speaker 3: I'm comfortable with my three legs. Hey, yo, what what talking about? Parlay?
Speaker 6: And?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Which game are you not betting in that?
Speaker 2: Parlad? So are you saying that my Texas Tech to go to the to go to the championship is feels like a real long shot?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't see it.
Speaker 4: I mean the teams I feel most confident in winning it obviously, Ohio State, Georgia and Oregon. Those three, from what I've seen this year, are the most consistent and the most balanced. They're the most depth, and I think they're playing some really good football. So look, I understand again not putting Indiana, who's gone undefeated, is the number one team in.
Speaker 3: The country, is part of the conversation.
Speaker 4: And by the way, I hope they proved me wrong because they have overachieved.
Speaker 3: They have constantly surprised us.
Speaker 4: It's just being on the field man and seeing that team and how they match up physically versus even Ohio stateyed the Big Ten Championship. There's a sense of like surprise and just kind of in awe of what Kurt Signetti and his staff and those players have been able to accomplish because they do not look like the rest of the teams who are at least still in the College Football Playoff. When you see the size, the athleticism, the length, and you compare it to Indiana, it's just it feels still like a Cinderella story, even though I think they've proven to be more than that now and doing what they've done this season. And so look, in my heart, I'm rooting for them. I just I guess I got to see it to believe it. And I'm one hundred percent okay with that, and I one hundred percent would love to see them prove me wrong, and and look that numbers at seven points. It seems like a lot, but the people who make these lines tend to know what they're doing.
Speaker 3: It is radio format.
Speaker 2: Is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. Sorry, ready to get out? Yeah go figure It's LeVar Arrington and it's a LeVar Arrington show here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: Coming up, Dan Patrick Show, Like, why are you doing this?
Speaker 5: Like it's so awkward and it's it's under your appropriate I don't get that.
Speaker 3: What are you doing right now?
Speaker 2: Because you didn't return my call? We are going to have our Midweek Awards coming up tomorrow. It is the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and it's next here on FSR.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: It's a Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you coming off top of next hour, we'll call it about ten minutes from now, the great Petres Popadakas is going to stop by. Always a fun conversation with the oldp that'll be yours here about ten minutes from now before we get to a little something we do on our show called The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Want to remind you that with the iHeartRadio App, you can stream us wherever you happen to be. Catch us in all of our Fox Sports Radio shows live twenty four to seven and the new and improved iHeartRadio App. Search Fox Sports Radio in the app to stream us live all day, every day, and be sure to select Fox Sports Radio is one of your presets in the iHeart app, so we'll always pop up at the top of your screen.
Speaker 1: There are some good things that happen, and there's some bad, and then there's some downright ugly things. It's time for good, bad and ugly.
Speaker 2: All right, Patrick Sweek, our executive producer, what do we Who's got what today?
Speaker 5: We're gonna go rampid fire here, we got the good, the band and the ugly.
Speaker 3: Well, the good is.
Speaker 2: Mister Professor Stixon sale far you get to go for you're the good brother, all right.
Speaker 5: The good is I can get through ABC without messing up. Uh.
Speaker 3: And we have a lot of games tonight.
Speaker 5: You know this, This is obviously the start of the big games in the playoffs, So I'm excited about that.
Speaker 3: Super good. All right. Next up, we got the bad Brady Sheriff Queen. You're ready. Oh yeah, that's easy for me.
Speaker 4: It's SC's PR campaign and Lincoln Riley and talking that talk like Notre Dame tried to avoid them, and meanwhile, they can't beat a team that doesn't even have their starting quarterback in TCU guy through six.
Speaker 3: Pass attempts last night.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I'll say that's the bad is SC and where the program's at right now and trying to take shots at everyone else after they released a joint statement, but then just you know, going rogue again, doing their own thing.
Speaker 3: All right, I like it, I'll like it.
Speaker 2: And finally we got the ugly Sheriff Knox.
Speaker 3: You're up.
Speaker 2: It's the constant complaining about college football, whether it's you know, teams opting out, teams opting in players not participating bowl games, the college football playoff expansion, what can we do to improve things? It's just constantly complaining, constantly crying. I got news for you. We're not that far away from you looking around and realizing you've got to talk NBA. Okay, so enjoy it while you got it. Enjoy the sport wild's here. We've got the college football Playoff. We've got a classic matchup coming up later on tonight. You've got Miami, You've got Ohio State. Fox Sports Radio's got a bracket you can be a part of. You can run a thousand dollars if you predict and call your shot correctly. These are the real good games we've waiting for. It's finally here. Enjoy it. Stops spending so much time complaining about it. That's my ugly for the week. How about that?
Speaker 3: Jus is ugly?
Speaker 2: Damn?
Speaker 3: Come on, it looks see the guy from the Hunger Games. What you don't think you do?
Speaker 2: You're talking about the guy from the first movie?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, take that. He does look like the Hunger Game. Take that. Take