Speaker 1: Look man, oh, I see you my own look over there is that culture.
Speaker 2: Yes, goodness loves culture, ding lost culturistas calling look around and how lucky we are to be alive right now.
Speaker 1: But does it feel like a brand? It feels like this is episode one and we need to take for granted. This is yeah, this is a first.
Speaker 3: This is a we have never actually had.
Speaker 1: We've never had.
Speaker 3: Therefore, we've never really had an identity this podcast one of the things. It's received critical acclaim. It's won the iHeart Podcast of the Year award twice. It's never had an identity until today.
Speaker 1: This is This is the best set I've ever been on. And then here and that includes again on the mic, this is the best that I've ever been on, and that includes Wicked. And we're also talking about the vibes. The vibes in here are better than that of Wicked. Ed work, damnrous our amazing production designer. Everyone in this room, y'all fucking tore this shit up. This is amazing. Round of applause for everybody. This is amazing. Thank you guys.
Speaker 3: In the second, we're gonna fly in the champagne. But not before we say this, there's a fridge here with the thing is we're living in a post there's a fridge era. Look what he's got. And by the way, we haven't been recording like live because we took a little break. Yes, the amount of times that Celcius has come up on this podcast.
Speaker 1: Why aren't we I face themselves. I don't think I think they're too I think they must have some exclusivity with the Theovons of the world where they we can't give those gay guys. Well, one thing I'll say is we really are giving it away for free.
Speaker 3: We are, we are, We're just And yeah, meanwhile, like we slay an ad read listen, if you write us a good if you write us a good ad.
Speaker 1: And if you if a human being writes us an ad, which is what?
Speaker 3: Which is what brings us to the topic of the episode, which is a I wait, we obviously are what is that?
Speaker 1: No. I Today this morning, Greta shows me some girl, random girl, God bless her love, random girls on the internet. Greta just goes, you need to see this. It was a girl at the beach going. I mean, can we just pause for a second how terrible data centers are and just say, please pick up your trash off the beach, and that will make things a little better. She wants to start at the very beginning.
Speaker 3: So many things we haven't figured out yet, before we move on to data centers, which is so complicated. We can all agree, pick up your trash on the beach.
Speaker 1: I she's not wrong, but she's not right.
Speaker 3: I have to tell you there are so many people out there who are so incredibly wrong whilst being incredibly right. Us we see today many times you ask for a culture catchup.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get one, and let that be the occasion. Let that be occasion. And speaking of occasions, let's fly in the flutes and the sham. It is the reason for this season. Thank you, son yous. So everyone be careful. Everyone can be careful.
Speaker 3: Make the set safe for us babies. Okay, Volve click co. I feel like I'm Mariah and it's the thirtieth anniversary of Daydreams. Day dream Oh and there's an amazing thank you, thank you, sir.
Speaker 1: Love. When a handsome guy pours me shams.
Speaker 3: Well, we have to usually go to some sort of airline for that. Yeah, talk to one of those gay guys who run the show. Oh, flight attendant that's what they're that's what they're going to them to us, and to day one of this podcast, Day.
Speaker 1: One of this podcast, and that we said maybe this is the five hundred. Yes, we all, Oh, I bet we're closer to six hundred than we are five hundred at this point. So crazy. We haven't said something yet. It is. Can I say, I'm now clocking minutes into this podcast.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy that the first thing that happened that we've already cheers. And if you think we're not going to cheers again, you're deeply mistaken. You're one of the wrong people. Bowen will be starring in Oh Mary as Mary.
Speaker 1: I'm brought it cling for a third time. I don't want to talk about it now. I'm not happy to talk about it. Don't ask him about his process, you vulture. I'm happy to talk about my process. Can we though, Because I've known about this now for it's been months. It has been a very long time, and it's hard. It's hard not to say.
Speaker 3: That bon Yang is in Larry the I.
Speaker 1: You know, I had to like lie a bunch, Yeah, I had to do the thing where people were like I heard and I'm like, oh no, it's it fell through it.
Speaker 3: Because you went as far as to say so in the reality, you confirmed it.
Speaker 1: It happened, and it fell through that because I was like, that's the best way to sort of most credible. It's the most credible because Sam put the fear of God in me. He was like, it was just such a bummer because Maya. The news about Maya leaked before we announced.
Speaker 4: And it was just a real fucking bummer. And I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: No, I better keep this under wraps. I'd been telling everyone, Yeah, how soon do about trying to figure out when you told me? It was like a week after because you were still you were in LA, Like I wanted to tell you in person, flitting off, flitting off, and god knows what what have you been doing in La? Who?
Speaker 3: We're not talking about me yet. Don't worry, guys. Soon you're getting some of me. But but okay, so you you're saying process.
Speaker 1: Process, so literally could not have happened without you? What because who do we run into at the Tony's but the queen Michelle Ranawitz.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I knew Michelle from school. She was a standout actress. She's become your acting coach.
Speaker 1: In this regard, she's.
Speaker 3: Become the the girl girl, the movement queen. She throws, she throws, she holds classes for anybody. Yes, through via Tish, I believe. Yeah, I've only ever known her as being the coolest person I've been in a room with.
Speaker 1: When I was in a room with her, and then actually we had never really met until that night. I didn't really meet her. I didn't really meet her until like the summer either.
Speaker 3: Right, And so then I am thrilled to hear I think because I told you I had this great conversation with her that you were going to work with her for oh Mary, it inspired me. Happy to inspire always, but you always do. Okay, so you've been cracking sh open or what?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: And this woman, she she gets elemental with it because I I like, I've like worked with people before, like in a in a coachy capacity, and it's been great. It's just like I walk away from them being like, Okay, I think I get it. But this i'm so in the pocket is not the right term. I just I'm I'm I'm neurally linked. She I am her banshee. She is my avatar, she is my driving you. But you're neurally linked.
Speaker 3: I am literally could it be a word we'll find out neurally yes, n EU that's like a startup.
Speaker 1: Y are a L L Y and e U r A L. Yeah, you got it? When are we doing an adverb? Absolutely, we're really connected. It's actually culture number three. We are connected. Who's the banshee? Who's the nav? This is so fascinating. I think I think you you are the brain. You look you look, and this is a compliment. You look like a nav.
Speaker 3: I've been told just so many times. And it came up again obviously because we did go to the world and we'll get to it again soon. Don't worry, guys, because you're gonna get a lot a little bit more of me and Disney updates, but first this, So that's all.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So you're neurally linked to someone who is guiding you too. Yes, to the beach in an Avatarian Navvian sense, because where they go in flight of passage, they go everywhere. They go everywhere, but everywhere, guys, in flight of passage. And we're gonna get more into it a little bit.
Speaker 1: But they go everywhere. The beach Heaven, Heaven Now and Funnily enough, she also worked with Miss Betty Gilpin, who you have to watch Widow's Bay. All I've heard is that. Okay, So I want to say two things. One, I will watch this because it's You're it's so for the Hunt's I'm incapable.
Speaker 3: Of resisting the idea of Betty Gilpin slang. You said, that's why I watched The Hunt. You said this about Lady Gaga during art pop era, when you were like, yeah, yeah, I like Gaga, but you said the words I will always be interested in what she's doing.
Speaker 1: You remember that I said that? By the way, I was like, what twenty two years old?
Speaker 3: I'm saying I will always be interested in what Lady Gaga is doing in art pop era?
Speaker 1: That means a lot? Can I say?
Speaker 3: I was recently confronted about what my top three Gaga albums were. Okay, you can't take art pop out of that top three, No way, you can't. You can try physically to attack me. I have studied the ways in which people try to wrestle art pop from a Little Monster's top three.
Speaker 1: You I won't be getting that. I think that happens anymore.
Speaker 3: Well, not anymore, but back in the day, we've had to be very vicious in our defense.
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna have this treatment to chromenica. I already see it starting, and.
Speaker 3: I'm not interested in having the conversation, but just know I'm learning how to defend myself against the attacks lest they come.
Speaker 1: So Widow's Bay, should they come? Should they? It was by I think you would enjoy it. I have to. I have to watch it.
Speaker 3: I will say people don't necessarily understand how sensitive I am when I say I'm sensitive because I had a what panic attack before the Hillary Dove concert because someone described to me the Perez Hilton video.
Speaker 1: Someone described it to me, which was their first mistake. I hit the ground. This was a good friend of yours who should have known not to go into detail about the Perez Hilton self music.
Speaker 3: Dave Mazzoni doesn't know better than to not do that at this point. And that's why I love Dave because he will just.
Speaker 1: Be himself no matter what. Always I love the man, love him.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: I know that you were a little bit stoned.
Speaker 3: Can we reveal Well, let's just say I was at one of them. I was at one of my favorite restaurants.
Speaker 1: Before seeing one of your favorite artists, before seeing our girl. Oh my god, I'm so sad. I can't go Bohen got sick. I got sick.
Speaker 3: You think Disney journeys if y'all got sick, Melissa got sick. I think there's something tactile. And I do want you to say, we're making a lot of people brave today.
Speaker 1: Born This Way Foundation. One of the things about this.
Speaker 3: At this podcast, Last culture Is says is it's one of the key elements of the Born This Way Foundation.
Speaker 1: And we've been working with Cynthia for years. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Wait, by the way, I know we're going to talk about the girls today, but I just want to say I'm having such a goga moment again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just what what what brought this on? I don't know. Can I tell you something? Watching interviews of her.
Speaker 3: You know how there's famously three eras Circus surveillance, well Christmas and then there's another.
Speaker 1: One circus surveillance and Christmas Circus surveillance Christmas and then like summer, like like summer. Sure like Zara Larson right now and maybe forever.
Speaker 3: I do think Zara Larson should be summer forever. And I'm gonna tell her that when she comes, because I think she has an opportunity if she wants to be Jimmy Buffett coated and someone should take that lane.
Speaker 1: I don't want it to have to be me. No, and it should be a Swedish person.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, Zara Larson at this rate could have a Margueritaville.
Speaker 1: If she wants enough, she's she gives you. It's the seashells. It's the delectable pop. Yeah, it's the delectable. It's it's the It's like a Swedish gummy.
Speaker 3: So I guess what I'm trying to say is I just I feel like when I'm listening to God, I'm having more fun. And a lot of the girls right now are discussing in their music lyrically this is how I feel about my station in the public.
Speaker 1: Eye, authenticity, which plays into surveillance which we are now, which is bearing down on all of us.
Speaker 3: And I think it's like it's kind of like sometimes they all get the same idea but in different ways, because I think it's obviously a cultural response, and I think they're all sort of responding to comment and perception culture at the same time.
Speaker 1: It's the Taylor Charlie are are a trifecta at this moment. Yeah, they're all at this time have recently gone about authenticity in their own individual ways. Yes, and so.
Speaker 3: Mayhem was just a moment a bit ago that we weren't doing that. I will also say this opens up a huge avenue for me to be enjoying the fuck out of confessions too, which we have not discussed on this podcast because we haven't not had the opportunity to do exactly exactly Dan Sitityria feels like a song we've always had.
Speaker 1: Well, it's Vogue New Basically, it's like, these are the names of people I love and and here we go and this was the vibe as I hope that if I.
Speaker 3: Ever run into Debbie Maysar on the third floor, that we that whatever we're doing turned into a party. Well, Debbie, I have to imagine that Debbie is a little bit like fuck now that this is what everyone's going to be saying to me for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: Do you think she's mad? Though? Where did the champagne go? You? So you brought her all the way over there? I think Debbie and Madonna have it. Really, I'm just gonna. I'm totally justicebby Mazar came up. I feel like I should have. I think I think Debbie and Madonna have such a beautiful and also complicated Thank you, thank you so much. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: We also have to talk about. Speaking of beautiful and complicated relationships with Madonna, we also have to talk about who we ran into literally the other night after a little Shop of Horrors, when we went to Yes Say It with Us.
Speaker 1: Barton Trial Rosie o'donald O'Donnell. We just ran into her. And the first thing she says to us is she looks at Matt to goes you said that nice thing about me at the Tonys. And then I grabbed and then I grabbed both.
Speaker 3: Her hands in mine both, I said, and I clutched them and I said I did, and it's because I love you so much and you should have been up there. And then she was like, she was like, you know, that was very kind. She she didn't like agree and say yeah, I should have.
Speaker 1: That did not happen. She remained graceful. I don't think she wants to be on a stage. I think she's fine with being on to watch what happens. Yeah, I don't think she wants to be on a huge platform on display like that, so so that like the you know.
Speaker 3: The people that she's dealt with one hundred percent, I do just think sometimes and don't worry because we then quickly pivoted to how much she needs to come on the podcast, And I do think we'll have a time time with her.
Speaker 1: I think we would have a time, but I will say that.
Speaker 3: We would I think benefit from the healing moment that would be restoring Rosy O'Donnell to a place where she can entertain us and mass because I think she's one of the most important an effortless comedian slash hosts. And who really put that first part first, that we've had the privilege of being able to have access to it, and the fact that our access to her was just cut off.
Speaker 1: For me is I agree. I think a lot of the cut offness is her own choice, sure, and I don't think we should force her out into the open. It's an invitation at least to come here. Of course, although she did she did, it did surprise me and delight me that she was so flattered by your comment. First of all, and I realized you hadn't met yet, you had never never met her. So I tried, I'm like, do you know Bowen? And then she said, I believe you guys clasped both hands. I don't remember. I was blocked out as in like I was emotional. Let me correct the record. No, I was not. I was not on anything. I was just I was just I was very emotional meeting her.
Speaker 3: I for some reason knew that you would feel that way. It's Rosy, ohdonne. Not since Meredith Marks have I been so sure that you would need encouragement.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about you, what that you would need encourage that you were Rosie so overwhelmed after meeting Rosie. The rest of that, No, I I honestly like it must be the medication talking, because.
Speaker 3: I am not nervous anymore to like be like hey, like I don't know.
Speaker 1: I would have went years ago. I loved. Is that anything? It must be the medication talking. Is that anything?
Speaker 3: Jam Buffett? It's well, Jimy Buffet could never he was never un meds And I want to just respectfully, because I realized what I just did. I said, Jimmy Buffett could never. After I sang, that wasn't the way.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Buffett sang, you know what I mean, it sounds like a meat loaf, Jimmy Buffett, It's like some kind of it was kind of giving.
Speaker 3: Uh not Kenny Rodgers, but not not, you know what I mean? Who sang on Zoom the Street? Yeah, Kenny Rodgers?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Why where are my Kenny Rodgers people?
Speaker 3: I'm looking at every single person in the eyes and it's like, oh, there you are, Becca Ramos, there's my Kenny Rogers.
Speaker 1: Girly. Well, I know what I knew. What I was doing was brand new. I was just asking is it anything? Like? Is it a hit?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 1: It is not a hit. Your next album is supposedly about vacation, but I think you can make it. You can sort of fold in the surprise, which is it's about being medicated. Well, I'm going to Grand Rapids for four days to see the boys actually over labor New weeks. That's so Na May Actually what punt of paper? I love that? You should go to Saga Tak what's that? I think it's the it's the epcot Oh in Dansitaria, did we talk enough about Madonna? Probably not? Probably not. I mean, I don't fuck with it? Amazing, Well, I just I will. One of my favorite moments ever, I'm realizing, was just her on that German show being like, I have a problem with the fact that I that it's hot and there's no air in here. I'm suffocating, suffocating. Open the door now, it's unbelievable, I know. And the best part she says it for the end. She says it for the end, and well she goes, just give me a fan, Just give me a fan. The last line, last line is I can't even think chan through a question? Can I also say the temperature in here rocks? Rocks? Did you also change that? I love it here? Did you change everything for the better? Why am I about to burst into tears? So emotional? So so the medication is not stopping you from feeling emotion? Well yeah, I mean I could still certainly still have a panic attack.
Speaker 3: The way I hit the ground to say nothing of the By the way, he is back in like thirty minutes, and I oh.
Speaker 1: Got that Hillary duff show looked amazing, Charlotte. She's saying she brought out good charing the anthem Part two, Yes, part we did bowen one that goes this is the Don't Want to Be which, by the way, I kicked off a whole couple days.
Speaker 3: Of nostalgia listening for me. I ended up listening to Yellow Card. Oh wow last night, can I just say something broken? These fragile things now?
Speaker 1: And I can't. I can't pick up the pieces. We really we had a really nice because, like we were, we were forced to listen to a bunch of different ship all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had a colectic taste because it was the radio and they had it answered.
Speaker 1: A lot of people. Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Oh, by the way, she was amazing. Why is Roommates the best song? Why is still the best song? By the way, you know who we were next to, Doug Pack. Oh just love being at a show with Doug Pack because I look over during the singing and he and he opens up his eyes to be like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Michelle Rannewitz is the Doug Pack of acting. To me, really good to have that person, which she in your life, which she legends, Who know the fucking craft? What are you most excited about doing?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: Oh? Mary is there? The I hired another coach actors accent Access. She's a she's a lady who lives in the UK, and for the audition, I was like, I want to go Scouse or Brummy, Birmingham or Liverpool. Got it, even though in the script does say Cockney and Sam, if you want to push back on this and rehearsal this conversation, I'm prepared to do it Scouse. I'm prepared to do it live apoo.
Speaker 3: I think that that would be good, even just from hearing you say that one word, I think it'll be good.
Speaker 1: I think you need to follow your heart because the way a Scouse person would say live about she would go rip the browses. It's like almost at Scottish. It's it's very groundskeeper Willie. Yeah, I'm excited to do that. I'm excited to do the Medley. Medley. I'm so nervous, but yes, I'm so Why you're nervous, it's just at it's just a big I mean, it's just it's closes out. I mean not to spoil, but it's just it's an amazing it is a reverie like I have to meet it at the Reverie anyway. September fifteenth through December sixth through December I will not be on October third and fourth. What's happening? Then? My dad is getting an award for engineering in Washington, d C. And I he's treating it like the biggest honor anyone's ever received in the history of the world, which it kind of is. And it will happen. And then Hannah Solo will Hanna Solo will tread the board. You're gonna get to spend so much. I can't wait. You're going to be inseparable. That's what I'm most excited about is hanging out with Hannah and like Julian and like Barrett and Philip, like everybody, Like I'm so like, that is such a great group. I went to go to I met them at dent Typhong one day because it was Seamu's last weekend, and Seemu took them all out because sim was Mary's teacher. And Seemu took them all out to Dn't Taiphong and he's a come and I was like, and that was right when I was like, I think I'm gonna do it. And we all ate dumplings together and they were it was just such a sweet vibe. They were like we love everything. Everyone just loves each other. It's so cute. And then they were like Meg's having a great time with them. It looks like and I mean, they're up to their antics. They're up to their antics. I do have to go see that. It always feels like.
Speaker 3: You turn the corner and there's because now they announced Lali is gonna do it, and and I was supposed to. I'm also bummed I'm not gonna be able to see Ari's tour I was.
Speaker 1: Supposed to go to. I know I'm not going anymore.
Speaker 4: Tarnut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know she's singing some of Pedal, So shall we about Pedal? Absolutely pedal For me, it's like horny enough where it satisfies the pop star Ariana thing and like, I don't know lyrically, like is it actually this feral thing that's saying everything and going hold no holds barred no.
Speaker 1: But she the way that she kind of.
Speaker 3: Like characterizes huh her audience here, which is like that perceptive the people that are talking about her works as Ariana Grande as well, like like I do in big feelings I think are about the subject of the audience, but she's able to map them in ways that I really enjoy.
Speaker 1: Yes, arian do I think the feralness, the faral, if that's the right word, the noun, I think that is in the conception of it. But I think in the execution of the album it is like about restraints, right, she like she's gonna belt at the fucking show. She's not gonna belt, She's gonna keep it well placed in ethereal on the track, it is in conflict very purposefully with the production, as in like the noise, which is like what this album is about. It's about her versus the noise of being like one of the most like talked about people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Pretty genius, I think, and I think I think a lot of people have a lot to say about, like what is she singing about? What is she frustrated about that she's not being specific enough? But I feel like it's the specificity is all projected in that it's like already preconceived by the audience.
Speaker 3: It would feel cheap if she were to come out and be like this is this is exactly how I felt. I felt like what makes her the daughter of Mariah to me is that in retrospect, Mariah still allowed you to project a lot onto her Earlier.
Speaker 1: She never sang about exactly. She was never like Tommy's doing this.
Speaker 3: To me, it was like even in Butterfly and and all through Emancipation, even like how she was feeling about her circumstances, because Mariah just as much as Arianna was picked the fuck yeah apart and always found her craft to be her like guiding light through that. So for me, it's like the way that Arianna is also the daughter of Mariah is she's thinking about things in a more artistically and musically holistic way. Ariana Grande knows what her voice can do, just like Mariah did, and she's scaping a track like Ariana Grande is saying this is the way, because I think she's even said that her most.
Speaker 1: Her actual talent is not her voice, even though she knows it's technically special. Her real talent is her ear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, her her voice is not her only instruments, And so she's using the instruments that she has at her disposal as a producer to create this thing. And to me, it's like, that's why she's just like far and away the most technically proficient and therefore inventive pop star that we have.
Speaker 1: That's why she's on Ableton or logic or whatever. Yeah, that's like she's she gets she's in flow state because this is her real art, right, It is putting it is putting these sounds together. That's why, like that video goes viral of her doing positions, Yeah, where she's layering and she's like, move that back. I want to come in on that. Like it's yeah, she's she gets all galaxy brain with that. Yeah. I think that is what people are maybe not totally bringing to the four with this conversation. It's like this is all incredibly by design. She's been recording since January February. The songs are the songs are very adaptable to her and the audience, right, Like, yeah, you want to.
Speaker 3: Look back on these albums and be like able to project on them. You don't want them to feel dated or like they're trapped in time.
Speaker 1: Which, like I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think everyone is as successful as she is when they try to tackle the perceptions and when when an artist decides okay, like right now, what I'm going to focus on is everyone else focusing on me. That is tough to accomplish because you don't always succeed in not just feeling like a total narcissist who has all these tools at their disposal, like she's creating a lot of stuff, Like I don't need to know anything about her to have sex to, like I do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, I don't care. That's also I'm on the record that Positions was my fuck album of the pandemic. You've said that I don't need to know anything about everyone? Was everyone's album not like me? If you had seen me. Positions was my election album unfortunately an election and because it came out around November twenty, I mean it certainly did well. What was my election album? We all had? Everyone says song on the Summer, bitch, what's your election?
Speaker 3: That's Rettle Culture number eight. Everyone says song of the Summer bitch, what's your album of election? I mean, I will say that I've never seen such a Positions esque candidate.
Speaker 1: Then Abdula, I'll say, ed, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: What I'm saying is I think that people saying he reminds them of Obama. I think what you're saying is you would put you You are attracted to this political candidate at this moment, also inspiring and in an actual way, you.
Speaker 1: Want to take care Evan met your girl, your mitten or whatever they call it in Michigan. I think they call it. They call it all sorts of weird things.
Speaker 3: So I'm so happy to have a break from discourse where you hear this word said this way, Michigander. I don't think we have to go I don't think we're have never shade. We're about to go into an election.
Speaker 1: The primary is so aware of that. But Michigan is very and you're about to go there. I am going to go to Grand Rapids, but I'm going to see people who don't say, how are you supposed to say it?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Well, I mean, I'm not here to teach a Shakespeare acting least. I'm not Michelle urannawiz herself movement more. But I will say something like this would be nice. Michigander, Michigander, Michigander.
Speaker 1: You want to you want to be a little British inflection Madonna with it. Get me, just give me a fan, Just get me a fan, Michigan. She's a Michigan's gotta goes back to Madonna slash Michigan. It's actually real culture number six Madonna. Mischagander is a Michigan. I can't even think to answer a question, even think to answer a question. So funny, she's so funny. Okay, we have to reveal something.
Speaker 3: What We actually were supposed to host her album release party in New York and she was coming on the pod, and unfortunately it didn't work with her dates. They had to move around and we work.
Speaker 1: Because we needed a break.
Speaker 3: We were committed to having a break in July, and the break was an occasion for the set to be built.
Speaker 1: It was the reason for the season. That is the set. I just want to say, get into it. I was real. Can I scare you will feel soda the entire time we were in the black sort of liminal space, the void, the void. You were like, I don't know, and I was like, I don't know. I think it works. It's very like anti set, Like every podcast is a set right now. I think ours. It's so refreshing that ours is just black curtains and white chairs. I never liked it, and I have to agree, but I'm always willing to try things. Gentlemen. I just I want to apologize.
Speaker 3: You don't have to apologize to me, because it's good that we tried everything. Happens for a reason. Are you is this clocking to you?
Speaker 1: You said to me after you panic attacked to the presultant moment, and then rallied for each stuff and rallied for each stuff. I was like, oh my god, are you okay? I can't believe that happened. I'm so sorry. You said sometimes it doesn't clock to people that I'm so sensitive, And I was kind of a bit and I was like, yeah, it really doesn't clock to people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then I'm on the ground, like in Soho, fully me on the ground and Soho it took me three tries to get up. Were you all like like, I'm all because someone simply described what happened.
Speaker 1: So then it was so video It was so like a like like during the happy hour time you would described at the time as being six fifteen pm. Yeah, you were on the ground and people were just kind of walking past you.
Speaker 3: They hate me in the streets, Bowen, But when they hate me in the streets, they see me coming in the streets. The streets.
Speaker 1: The streets are a little bit the streets are a little bit uh suffused with something manic right now?
Speaker 3: Oh you don't say, could it be Amazon? Like humidity, which was something I saw actually reported.
Speaker 1: Would they describe it that way? Let me also get you in to my perspective. I'm at.
Speaker 3: I get a text again at a time I would describe as six fifteen PM from my friend Alyssa.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I have a random ticket that I got. I random extra ticket.
Speaker 3: To Olivia Rodrigo amazing pop up show at Warsaw in green.
Speaker 1: Point, Tiny, tiny space, tough.
Speaker 3: I go there.
Speaker 1: Olivia.
Speaker 3: You are the girl, You are the one. It was one hundred and ten degrees in the I suspect that she cut a few songs from I have a feeling because she didn't play Vampire, didn't play Vampire, and didn't play Begged, didn't play Begged and didn't play Vampire. That's not to say that the set list wasn't incredible. She's now at the point where she's got three excellent albums.
Speaker 1: Cutting the show short. Someone I was with was mad.
Speaker 3: That she chose to do making the bed instead a couple of things, and I was like, you better let that girl do making the bed.
Speaker 1: If she wants to do, let her do making the bed.
Speaker 3: Also, another thing I love about that crowd not kids, right, because you go see Olivia Rodrigo and concert and it's like, Okay, this kid's screaming.
Speaker 1: You never know.
Speaker 3: This was like cool Brooklyn people in their twenties and.
Speaker 1: Thirties, Warsaw Green Point. She was great. It was one hundred twenty degrees.
Speaker 3: And then I looked it up and they were like, oh, it's because temperatures are coming up from South America.
Speaker 1: Up the East coast.
Speaker 3: Like I guess there's some weather event happening where it's like bringing amazon esque humidity to New York. Like the other night it was the Amazon, was the Olivia Rodrigo concert.
Speaker 1: It was the Amazon. When I went to go see Smigadoon. If there's a place to be while there's Amazonian humidity in New York City, it's seeing a delightful showing Smigadoon.
Speaker 3: Excellent show. It was very very gagged they. I mean, they put on quite the show there.
Speaker 1: Donna. Yeah, she's kind of a lethal weapon of being funny and dull. Did and I was like, I can't believe. I'm I don't know, I'm gadd And then you talked to her after She's like, hey, how are you? Yeah, she met my parents. That was a delight. I know her kids' names, Francis Ulysses.
Speaker 4: Her kids are icons.
Speaker 1: He's icon, all right.
Speaker 3: I did make a little bit of a list here so that we don't make that, okay, and let's just actually read the list as I wrote it, because I think we So we went to Disney, Yeah, and I wrote down I will literally never forget you.
Speaker 1: We went on the Kilimanjaro Safari at the Animal Kingdom, a ride that some might say you kind of do to pass the time if you're waiting for flight of passage. No anymore. I hadn't been on the Kilimanjarra Safari ride for many years. It said Disney's Animal Kingdom, Should you want to go? We were not rained down.
Speaker 3: What happened was Avatar went down, okay, And sometimes rides they go down totally.
Speaker 1: And it's not an indictment. It's just what happens sometimes with these technological marvels. And so we had to We had time.
Speaker 3: We had time are We went on the Expedition Everest. We had one friend with us, Patrick Foley. We didn't do so well on it, but the start of his arc was that was the start of his arc.
Speaker 1: By the end, he was loving life, loving on de Tron twice adored a Guardians of the Galaxy cosmic rewind yeah uh and then but then no to to wait for our time flight of passage. We went on the Kilman Dar Safari tour. Our driver and our guide. We were the luckiest people star cast member Angel throughout the entire property, literally named Angel, named Angel, saying things like I was hoping to see these girls, referring to flamingos. Yeah, I was hoping these ladies. I was hoping to see these ladies or or or a group of elephants over there having a key. Look those elephants were having a key. Uh what else?
Speaker 3: And then no, there was one moment where we were we were about to start the tour, and we were kind of, you know, feeling our os. We were like excited for the not the tour safari okay, which by the way, it's actually really it's really lucture number five A Safari is animals, animals. So we finally start and before he's about to pull us into the safari area, he goes.
Speaker 1: And I can't even lie to you, I'm actually really excited. And then the best the best, and then towards the end, we see we see a wild ostridge walking alongside us, Yes, kind of like showing off. Angel says, ooh, look at her stump the runway. And then as we disembark, we were we all gave Angel a huge round of applause, huge a star.
Speaker 3: Because we also saw so many animals. It was a little overcast. We saw a lion and that the lion was crazy. The lion perched regally. We were like, this is crazy. Apparently that is the time to go if it is overcast, this vibe. There were zebra, this is this is a pillow on the new set.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do with it. And I was saying it's specific to be ai, it's too like a pink zebra with like I just got horns. Can can anyone answer where this came from? Well, last dams this we have to know more about. We have to know about the artists, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean, like, we have to know more about this because it's like everything is so and there's a lot of jungle like animals here.
Speaker 1: It's kind of giving the kill I wanted the panther. I requested a pan Yes, yes, what about her? This is a monkey that's a monkey. Yeah, there's a lot of animals. Oh there's a whale tail, whale tail, my responsible.
Speaker 3: Way and then obviously these okay so anyway, so okay.
Speaker 1: So then as we disembark, yeah, we applaud Angel, we say we love you Angel. Amazing job, amazing. That is the time to go on the kilman Jar safaris when it's overcast because animals are out. Angel says these words, I will literally never forget you. I will literally never forget you. And I was like, that is It's just like an ear hit for the ages. I went on the Disney app. I left a great comment and I left a comment I commend it. I had never done this before in my life. Angel. If you're listening, anyone who works at WDW, please send this long to angela animal kingdom.
Speaker 3: You have to like if you get Angel driving your safari, know that you will literally never forget them. And I also want to say thank you to what we went there and imagine we met imagineering, Imagine we did the rock.
Speaker 1: And roller coaster starring the Muppets, so we are. The occasion for going was after we had a after it was our honor to host Miss Piggy at the Culture Awards to promote Hour. The honor was ours to promote the Rock and Roller Coaster starring the Muppets. Disney Imagineering invited us to the parks they did and then gave us an amazing experience.
Speaker 3: We did do the Rock and Roller Coaster fabulous and it was fabulous. I I we had one thing after, which was where was Miss Piggy? But she found out she's in the pre show. That she's in the pre show, you get a different pre show. Our pre show featured Kermit.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I was happy to see him as very happy to see Kermat. And don't worry because this is why you do repeat ridings. This is why do you repeat writings. That's how you get Miss Piggy. And I have to say, Kermit is dressed in a hoodie. Yeah, Kurment loutt in it. Kurmi not me thinking Kermit was hot. Watching the pre show of Rock and Roller Coaster.
Speaker 3: Starring the Uppets, and then Kermit comes up and you're like.
Speaker 1: Interested Kermit, and I was. I was kind of like, kind of you know, who kind of gives Kermit phrase phrase? Oh kind of gave Kermit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean like like in so many ways, in all the best ways, really sweet, so sweet, I know, a little slip of a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's kermit, he's kind of hi. Yeah, Hi, Yeah, it's all good there by the way.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: It was just literally, isn't open up the phone? When will I see you next? Never? Well, You're like, Okay, isn't there say in our thirties, isn't there nothing better than like an amicable separation.
Speaker 3: There is no room for anything but that yeah thing. Well, and it would bum me out so much no to have like that go down again. But I will say I'm definitely dating again because I went out the other.
Speaker 1: Night and I don't like this guy. Well, I had one of the it was one of the.
Speaker 3: Worst kisses in recorded history, and it did happen in Central Park. And he also did that little bit of a little bit of a thing and lovely guy, yeah, but little bit of a thing where there was like some weird, little choking hands on and I was like, it was just like dating in New York. Sometimes you die in Central Park. I wanted this lifestyle move back, that Carrie Bradshaw lifestyle. Sometimes you're just getting a little choked out and a choke on the park itself, a choke on the first kiss is really wild, which was going bad bad? I mean, no, no, no, don't worry. It was it was in a place in Central Park that was extremely private.
Speaker 1: No one would have known if I had died, right, And he did say he did that thing that sometimes happens when when you're on a date, when you're let's say Matt Rogers or someone with a podcast, he goes and I'm not a fan. I'm not a fan.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, okay, because I did have to ask, because I did one time go on a date. I was dating someone about.
Speaker 1: Six states in was like I'm obsessed with it. Was like, I actually have to tell you something. I'm a huge until I have said so many things.
Speaker 3: It's not like with you where it's like you're Bow and Yang and so they know who you are, Like I occupy a different tier, which is like they may not. So when I'm on a date with someone having a nice time, I do sometimes I'm like, can I just ask you, like what is the familiarity with me?
Speaker 1: Because I believe anything totally.
Speaker 3: And he let me know that he was not a fan and that I was like as a sealless celebrity, I kind of have to ask and he and I didn't know if it was a joke or not, Like I would say, you're more dalist and.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's his way.
Speaker 3: But for me, I think it was like a way of flirting.
Speaker 1: And I was just like, oh, maybe that's funny. But then minutes later I would have a terrible kiss and be getting choked, So it's like for the maybe that's funny, Like that's don't worry. I hung out with him for two more hours. No, you're so bad. There's literally and Celeste said this when you were telling us this over drinks the other night. They were like, you can't just like end the day early, just be like I gotta go. Can I tell you something. I wasn't having like a bad time.
Speaker 3: Totally, but it doesn't need to be a bad time for it to be like this is this is a waste of time. I didn't even think it was a waste of time, you know what it was like. It's like, you know when you're on a date with someone and you're like, this is weird, but it could become suddenly hot at any moment, which usually just means let me drink more, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: It usually just means like, maybe what I should do is just wait this out and see if it gets interesting.
Speaker 3: Aka, I get drunk, right, and then I remembered, oh right, I'm thirty six, not twenty six, despite the fact that everyone on every dating app is twenty.
Speaker 1: Six, so you can change your age range.
Speaker 3: Got to figure out how to do that, I guess, yeah, yeah, because definitely, certainly most stuff I'm seeing all twenty six year olds.
Speaker 1: And they're all in private equity. Which did you hear? Is the hot new accessory this.
Speaker 3: Summer a private equity boy hot new hot new accessity necessity, hot new access so re oh like, is.
Speaker 1: Of course the private equity boyfriend. I love that. Love what they do, which is to kind of drive down value.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's like a rite of passage to tell everyone what you stand for and then go opposite all of that Because of Dick.
Speaker 1: It happens all the time. Yeah, and I think we should allow people to do it once, maybe twice, depending on they can do it a couple times. Yeah, you get to do it, You get to be like, you get to be Laverne Cox. You get to date a cop just to try it. Yeah, you know, I completely understand that thing of being attracted to She didn't did a cop, she just diated a mega person. Well I thought she did it a maga cop. Yeah, yeah, okay. Anyway, it was both okay, okay.
Speaker 3: I get being attracted to something you absolutely should not attracted to, and it must suck to be in the public eye and also have that like thing where you don't want to shut down your life or you don't want to you know, and then all of saiden like, uh, yeah, you made that mistake you're supposed to make in private, You fucked that person you're supposed to be fucking.
Speaker 1: This is then you're in public, so now you're kind of This is what I'm saying. This is the authenticity trap. And people who listen to this podcast love that word. It's it's giving surveillance day, Like, hold on, why the fuck am I supposed to like? It's it's fear of being It's the anxiety of being seen. It's like, which we're all sort of like, it's like, reject all cookies. Reject all cookies, because to be seen is to be judged, which is to be you know, perceived and then understood as being something that didn't and most likely it's it's a misunderstanding, right, So anyway.
Speaker 3: That's interesting to even think about the fact that like that's what everyone, it feels like, is talking about right now in art, because I do feel like all the like, you know what I mean, Like even in a weird way in films, like with like Disclosure Day stuff, it's like it's like if people knew everything.
Speaker 1: This isn't exactly a good one to one, but it is like no, no, no, it's pretty applicable.
Speaker 3: It's about how people might feel if they had the real or the right information. And it's like that's kind of interesting in our culture that that's even such a topic. It's like we know this and you know this, and that is the tension that every that exists in everything is it's like, you know, this lack of understanding.
Speaker 1: Despite almost total knowledge or not almost total, but just like a set of facts that like people, I haven't seen the movie me neither, can I tell you what's driving me?
Speaker 3: Actually it was gonna be my I don't think so, honey. Maybe it still will be.
Speaker 1: When people talk about someone's when people talk about someone's face acting. That's oh my god, DA's face acting. Zendia's face acting in this scene was amazing. Do you in her acting?
Speaker 3: What her face acting like when someone like because it just came disclosure day. At the end, the reporter, yes, everyone's Gaga slays down and they're like.
Speaker 1: Her face acting was some of the best face acting I'd ever seen.
Speaker 3: And I was like, guys, what she's also acting with her body remain still in this moment?
Speaker 1: You mean nonverbal which is slag? I don't know it.
Speaker 3: I guess yeah, yeah, Maybe what they're trying to say is her silent performance, what she did with just her eyes or what she conveyed in this Her face acting suggests.
Speaker 1: A removal from the physical.
Speaker 3: Body, suggests like an absence of anything facial. During dialogue, correct the moondobo. Correct a moondobo, trying it out.
Speaker 1: I like it, correct a mundo bo. How about this? It's going to be oh you quinn bow Mary? Mary? Yeah, okay go.
Speaker 3: After we recorded this episode, Troy Sevonne is coming in to talk about all sorts of things, and yeah, we should drop correct a mundo into the episode.
Speaker 1: Correct until he calls it out. We should call him trow until he calls it out. You want to call him trow, I'll call him Troe.
Speaker 3: You you you here's what we're gonna do, and you guys can see you next week. If it panned out, you try calling him troll like a bunch and see when he when he calls it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet, I bet about the first person, and I.
Speaker 3: Will say correct a Mundo until he calls it out, and then if he's able to by the end of the episode, and please keep us honest here, Beca, can you keep us honest about this? We will say so there was actually a hidden game happening during the episode, and we've never done this al maskulch and what was weird about the episode? And if he says like he'll me Troe and you were saying correct a mundo, that's really good.
Speaker 1: And I actually want to try something with him that we should start on this episode three Way three Way Phil, the Rush to the Crash. We need to start queer handshake, the official queer handshake. What will it look like? So we should start the first move, so this and then what's after that you and I established and then he adds on, okay, cool, should we start right now? Yeah, what should it be? Okay, so it'll be like you want to start wide? Okay, so that's the first one first, no, no, no, and then after that, oh, I have an idea, yeah, pull it back. Okay, great, so starting wide? Yeah, like that's great. There's ah. So then like I think we build the handshake with select guests. Oh my god. Perfect. Okay, So Troy is next week spiking honey, spiking honey. That will be good. That will be good. And then I think we'll go from there. And we'll go from there.
Speaker 3: We just don't want to say because this the next person is not confirmed confirmed, right, But sometimes that's a way to confirm confirm is to say it live on the podcast so.
Speaker 1: That people feel bullied. You lost culture? Is this I need to We need to talk about five Star Weekend? Is that the thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just another reason to get emotional today because it wasn't on the list and.
Speaker 1: I'm realizing how wrong that was. Because wrong.
Speaker 3: You're absolutely right, we need to talk about the Five Star Weekend, a show whose podcast I also listened to.
Speaker 1: The official I Love that You. That's a rule of if you you fucking love a show, if you're listening to the podcast of it. That's a real of culture. Number seventy eight. You fucking love a show if you're listening to the podcast of it.
Speaker 3: I listened to Chloe seventy You get interviewed about actually her surprising ties to Nantucket. Really yeah, people don't think that Chloe seven ye is to Nantugi.
Speaker 1: But she actually has very surprise. She's a coast crew I think you. I think if you're if you're an ewe coaster, you've got you've you've visited INTI can I say something that's not true as an East Coaster league, not everyone has the ties surprising that you've been to Nantucket.
Speaker 3: You would be surprised that the ties that she has to Nantucket, which made her want to participate in the show, which her fans have been surprised to see her.
Speaker 1: No literally, as a fan, I am, I was surprised and delighted that she played a towny so well. Uh, Chloe sevan Y as a as a masshole towny so fun. It's really good.
Speaker 3: And she's also not because she's like refined in Nantucket. She she she's not a masshole.
Speaker 1: I was I was being an asshole when I said that a masshole in New York. Wait, okay, I just did Colin Bedell's podcast, all of his astrology content. I've been following for years and he's starting any podcasts and they were like, would you do? I was like, yes, I'm such a fan. I mean I did over the weekend. He read me down, didn't read me. He really got it. He's he's so said he was.
Speaker 3: He's just he's always so fun and smart and I and I said to him, I was like, this is what I know to be true about you Long Islanders and from my eternal bond with Matt Rogers, you guys are some of the smartest people on the planet. You have but it's rooted in a working class sort of like hey, like you know, how are you? It's like, but it's it's it's intelligent.
Speaker 1: I would say I will be dangerous to tell a lot of Long Islanders right now that they are the smartest people in the world, because I do think that one of the symptoms of being a Long Islander is you tell yourself that all the time and look, how look how far it's gotten you. Yeah, I left long ago, and but you sure talk about it a lot I don't.
Speaker 3: Even think I brought it up today. Maybe even the Rosie conversations she also brought up. She asked me the classic Long of the question, which was what exeter are you? Can I tell you something?
Speaker 1: I actually don't know that answer.
Speaker 3: You, but it feels like a litmus test for Long Islanders. You used to know because when they asked that question, they mean on the Long Island Expressway.
Speaker 1: And I a driver you went driving down the expressway was not really that girl. He was using it for that type of commuter.
Speaker 3: So I would use Sunrise Highway so I can tell you Sunrise Highway I think was like forty four, forty five, forty six.
Speaker 1: Oh, just say one of his numbers.
Speaker 3: Well that's what I explained to her at the time. But think and I was like, why is my conversation with Rosie O'Donnell about excess?
Speaker 1: She asked, She asked you, I guess because she asked me, which is a Long Island way of asking. Yeah, I'm asking you a question, a question. That's what Colin's like, I gotta ask you, I gotta ask you, Let me ask you, let me ask you anyway. Sorry, No, five Star week a weekend we wanted to talk about it. Darcy Cardon, can I say she's the heart of the the heart of the show base acting down it was some of the best face acting of the base best face acting. Yeah, Oh my god. And Jay Gardner and reuniting with them. What's his face did? Were they in a movie together? The Gardner Jennifer Gardner. Oh, Jennifer Gardner, reuniting with with the one and only Timothy Old who still swing in Dicta walks in. It's just such a what an eternal hotty. Oh, eternal Jennifer Gardner, eternal Hall Gina loving my life whenever she's I love my life. I love my life with Jemma chan I love my life with Darcy Carden. They're doing a second season of The Five Story, which is which.
Speaker 3: Is the best news we heard it's actually gonna be nominated. Well then they'll be like, oh, they only nominated it to promote it, But it's like, I'm sorry. Sometimes we really do love things on Peacock. As much as we say and can.
Speaker 1: I say something, we would have no reason to candidly like we have. We're still the same fans as we were. We're still normal people out here who love who love Peacock.
Speaker 3: We don't have the allegiances that are perceived out there to Peacock. We just thought at yeah, the best little creature. One of the nominees was the miniature wife.
Speaker 1: Now, I do want to say a thing that really got me through yesterday. Yesterday I had like a just a languid day Sunday as fuck. Everyone did I know the vibes.
Speaker 3: We were sort of talking about hanging out and everyone was like.
Speaker 1: I've been watching I need to I've been telling myself I need to go on like a Lisa Renna day one journey. Really, so I remember watching her first season in bits and pieces. I want to watch it all the way through, beginning of the beginning of Lisa Rinna Era to end, and as in her enemies on that show, I was I'm I'm Renna all the way. I'm Team Renna all the way because I because I because I see her on my screen and I light up. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, she's one question that she is would cause anyone, yes, stimulus in seeing her on this show towards the end. I'm interested to see what you.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, I was there towards the end the whole Kathy Hilton thing, and I'm like, whatever, there's there's stuff about I mean, there's that that whole that whole side of Beverly Hills.
Speaker 3: To me is like like sometimes it's good to root for the villains, though sometimes sometimes are the ones.
Speaker 1: There's nothing better than a good reality team. And I don't want to call Renna a villain because she's just. She was just being her authentic self. And can I just say episode one, the first couple episodes of Rinna just sums her all up. She's just like, I'm an entertainer. I guess I'm an entertainer, an actor. I don't know what to call myself. She is an entertainer. And you know when she and Eileen sit down for lunch, like can they cut back to like old episodes of Days of Our Lives where it's just like, God, Lisa, Renna is just and she she's like and I'm not ashamed of anything, which explains everything about her in terms of her like going to all these like runway events, her dressing up like full on committed to the new like, but it's like she is she is a true entertainer in the sense she is interested in what is on the front line, and she will commit in the way that she has committed for us at the Culture Wards. I just I just love her, and I think she would be an excellent Mary Todd.
Speaker 3: You know, I think that they would be fools because the only way they can top you.
Speaker 1: No, They've got plenty of people is to bring after that, what's on the list? Confront ourselves. Why haven't we seen the Odyssey? Well, we've been on record as saying that, like, we love Nolan, we just we just we It's it's just been I was, I do want to see it in imax, and it's still really hard to get a ticket. I can't say where I was shooting. You're shooting Missus Smith, and I think that's where my NDA begins.
Speaker 3: So I can't say where I was.
Speaker 1: But I was in a place where it was not accessible.
Speaker 3: I could not go to a theater in the way that I had been told I must see the film. So when all of the narrative is like we shot this on imax, you must see it in this in this way, like this is and then it's hard to do that. It's kind of like, Okay, I'll get to it later to market, and then I couldn't hear the dialogue at all.
Speaker 1: I just could not hear it.
Speaker 3: And and then now I'm happy that everyone is, you know, revisiting two things in culture Interstellar and see XO XO, and I'll talk about that in a second Interstellar and they're like, oh, Interstellar is the best Nolan, and I'm like, I would have.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of people feel that that's well, that's just because people are because they haven't. They're over, They're over saying it's the Dark Knight, even though it is. It is like I understand it will always be the dark name, right.
Speaker 3: It's like, okay, people that like, you know, I'm one of these people. But it's the way that people feel about like chocolate chips and oldmeal raisin. It's like you can say oldmeal raisin is your favorite, but which it is yours?
Speaker 1: It is mine? I know this doesn't really work. Uh. It's it's like pepsi and coke. It's like Coca Cola is the girl. You know what I'm saying. It's like, oh I love Wendy's. It's like, no, you like McDonald's. It's like it's like you think you're gonna get your Cinophile card revoked because you didn't want I do the odyssey.
Speaker 3: To see the odyssey, I think we have to.
Speaker 1: Actually, this will this will be me. I don't think so, honey. Well, sinophilia, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think so, honey. Cinophilia is really good because the goalposts they move. Here's what I said the QVC woman.
Speaker 1: Let's not lose sight of her. Tony. We know, we know her name, and can we remember it, Tony? Remember Tony is going on fallon today when we're what it's such a phenomenon. And the and then the way she was posting on her own ocean media is I'm gonna be unfound. And it's just not a picture of her face at the back of her head. Well, I mean, and thank god that her back of her head is so but I'm gonna say it ridiculous. That's such a perfect example which you've learned at this point, yeah, and known for a while, which is the art of that job is just to keep talking. And here's what. So, here's what's going on right now. And this haircut is just reminding me of a time when my mom cut my hair. Stop sell me those matches. Now these men, oh my god, Well now I'm on the spot. Do it. No, you go.
Speaker 3: I have found and this is gonna be something that happens with everyone out there, whether you're lighting incense because you've had a really stressful day, whether or not, and hey, I'm not gonna tell anyone here, but you like to enjoy a little in the words of Brittany Murphy and my favorite movie Herbal Refreshment, or if you just.
Speaker 1: Want to light one of the any candles that we've spoken about on this very day, you need matches. These are amazing. So and what I love about matches They're like little paintings, they really are.
Speaker 3: And I love that every single one has a beautiful visual identity. So you can trade them, you know, for example, like if you had one in there and I wanted it, it has the value and that is the sharing, Yes, the exchange, because we all need a light of fire. And I'm talking about physically as well as metaphorically bowing.
Speaker 1: And here's what's happening, and this is not a metaphor. We are selling five match books. You're gonna love this for twenty five dollars. That's a five dollar per match but value, that's a steal.
Speaker 3: Know what you're saying that sounds like far too much. This person does not have a grasp on people's economic reality.
Speaker 1: These are luxury items. No, no, and you think you think that being loose seal blue, that's very funny. Excuse you.
Speaker 3: I know exactly why you say that, because why what makes these different? These are matchbooks from the first day of Lost Coulach having a new set, and that's not just something but everything. And let's just talk about this set for a second, because I think this is the best compliment I can give a room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to take a nap in here.
Speaker 3: I want to take a nap in here. And you know what ties it all together is a beautiful centerpiece. And no one thinks. No one thinks they're going to have enough match books for a whole centerpiece. That's because you're not thinking about them as collectibles. These are special and you're collecting hearts. I'm collecting hearts because you want to know what people And I'm gonna get vulnerable here. They relate to me, and they relate to me because they know that I need a light in the dark sometimes too. And that's why I have a whole little centerpiece full of matches right here, bo, it's time for I don't think so, honey, anything else on the list that you want to talk about.
Speaker 1: We actually kind of.
Speaker 3: Got through everything, really yeah, in a really exciting way, except this one thing that I want to sort of get into even more.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, this is fabulous. This is yes, Matt Rogers, I don't think so, honey. As time starts now, I don't think so honey. Oh you're just getting into see xoxo.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Some of us have been having a great time.
Speaker 3: Some of us have been having a lot of fun, including I'm telling you this right now, some of the hottest gaze on Instagram DM respond. Whenever I put up a flare that I like Camilla ceexoxo because I have taste, people.
Speaker 1: Respond and they are some of the most beautiful men in the world.
Speaker 3: That's so beautiful, Camila, congratulations on that thirty seconds. And it's not the only album that people have just totally like, you know, taken.
Speaker 1: And just thrown away.
Speaker 3: But it is the album of the moment, and I'm willing to say it right now. See Xoxo is the album of the moment twenty six and that is not to take away from what I believe to be the actual album of the year. And I'm just going to say this because I don't want to be totally frivolous. Worlds Girl in America, Isolator second Best New Artist Narrative.
Speaker 1: We need it, we love it.
Speaker 3: But ce xoxo. I guess welcome home everyone. Like I said, the water's really warm, it's Miami.
Speaker 1: And that's one minute. Cute girl in a sick mind?
Speaker 3: I text Bowen and Jared all the time. I'll just I'll just text the xoxo.
Speaker 1: Or or there was a time when your vocal stem was cute girl with a sick mind, girl a sick mind? What's your current stem? Oh? You stimming I'm stimming on. I can't even think to answer a question or just give me a fan or no, I'm suffocating. Open the door now.
Speaker 3: Well there's a lot to stem on in inn as well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean I don't not okay, I don't fuck with it.
Speaker 4: People think the dance floor is.
Speaker 1: Frivolous. To know what she say? She says. She says, safety and numbers, Safety in.
Speaker 4: Numbers, thanks for coming, Thanks for coming.
Speaker 1: I love whatever register she's in right now.
Speaker 4: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: I love Madonna, love so much. She's invented everything, much like Peaches. Josh Sharp and I say Peaches invented everything. Madonna also invented everything, obviously in a more obvious way. But Peaches did invent everything started out. You don't get Slater without Peaches. You don't Getkesha without Peaches. You don't get all these things without peachaes Okay, you don't get.
Speaker 3: I don't think so Honey without bowing Yang. This is this is I'm just gonna you know, I'm just gonna raff let them cook. One of the top phrases of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Give him ten, give me ten. Remember this one? That was a good one.
Speaker 3: All right, This is bowen Yang's. I don't think so Honey's time stressed Now, I don't think so honey. Cinephilia, Let's just say you love movies. You don't have to have a whole.
Speaker 1: Sharpness around it. You make it seem uninviting, you make it seem like it's a closed conversation. Right, It's like now everyone is like out here being like this is what your letterbox top four should be. There should be one little silly what it's like. No no, no, no, no no, there's no should With Film thirty seven. You should watch it is film is sculpted time. You should just enjoy the sculptures that you like. You should like the shapes that you like, and that can be anything. But there is this thing, like God, I'll never forget. I had the honor of going to the Criterion closet and I made the mistake of reading the comments, and it's just people being like, well, yo, everyone loves Paris, Texas. Yeah, but I fucking love it too. So then what am I supposed to do not acknowledge it, say that I don't love it, because then when I say that I do, it's like you're damned if you do, you damned if you don't. I just like all kinds of movies, the Prestigie, the Janis film Z and the fucking Disney Pixar, I suppose, And I don't know. Let's just let's just everybody not too much on the that's one minute plus I will say it is.
Speaker 3: It's it wasn't a time a thing where it's like, oh, you've described yourself as a cinephile.
Speaker 1: That means you have an interest that I might be able to, but now it's like engage with Now it's like you're not like, oh the that like you're it's it's it's stolen valor or something. And I just a sinophilia and I'm I'm just like I thought, I thought everyone just loved movies, different kinds of movies. But it's like I can be like, yeah, I'm kind of whatever on Nolan. Yeah, and apparently that's like a crazy take.
Speaker 3: Well, when when someone's artistic output is pretty much expected to be something specific, people can make value judgment totally.
Speaker 1: And I'm thrilled that it's doing well and that like the weird fucking like attempted woke takedown of it, the tape, the takedown of it trying to be quote unquote woke has failed, and like there is such a thing like there's like a new kind of era of like a tour Blockbuster directors. Yea once again. But overall I'm like, yeah, I'm like I'm again, I'm like neutral. I'm like the way that people are like i'mral I'm neutral on Tailor, I'm like yeah, great, yeah, or like on any other artist, I'm like, there's that's that's that's good neutrality. With art is like fine, it's not it's not a dire political need. Well, things need to be mid so that we can see what's truly great period.
Speaker 3: Like I do think that we we don't have enough people out here being like this was fine. Like everything is either like it's polarized to be like this is an excellent thing, this is a terrible thing total, and most of everything right now is fine.
Speaker 1: That's actually the big reveal about our culture right.
Speaker 3: Now is it's all kind of fine fine, Like there are things that are happening that are like, oh that's extraordinary, that's cool. But we're not living in a time.
Speaker 1: Of which is not. We're not saying that the Odyssey is fine. We're just saying like there is Like we're trained to be extremely polar about anything and everything.
Speaker 3: Toy Story five is out now, and.
Speaker 1: Greta Lee's in every movie. Love that though that.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen if if Toy Story, Christopher Nolan and Greta Lee are all gonna be ubiquitous, Mary fuck kill I marry Greta.
Speaker 1: Greta's in Toy Story that I guess I fucked Toy Story and I kill Nolan. M hmm.
Speaker 3: We had every do you have anything easy? You want to say, still gotta do a whole other one of these. I know, No, I'm good, but I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I love our new set. It's so good.
Speaker 3: I'm really I'm so thrilled. And we're just gonna keep that. We will well, I think we're gonna stop out the couch. Yeah, I love the couch.
Speaker 1: I don't think. I don't think. You know, I have a very similar rug in my apartment. I know this, This rug is class. It's amazing, guys, this rug is amazing. No, and I'm not nippicking here. I'm just saying, like, you know, just prepare for some some some changes, some slight changes and tweaks, and but this is all I mean.
Speaker 3: You know, I did almost bring one of our iHeart podcasts of the Year today, and I thought to myself, do we want to display it?
Speaker 1: And I think maybe we will. I think we will to remind these girls, let's display it. That's what awards are meant to be, That's what you're supposed to do with them.
Speaker 3: Okay, we end every single episode of this podcast with a song. I have an idea I'm gonna do the beginning of a concert that you missed. Oh, And I want to think about the atmosphere being so dense with excitement anticipation because you know you're gonna see your generational.
Speaker 1: Icon that you feel like you grew up with. Yeah you did, maybe even you had your kid at the.
Speaker 3: Same time she was having her kid, and you look around and you're like, wow, look how far we've come. And you see it's Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 1: This people talking. They talk about me, they know my name, we know everything, but.
Speaker 5: They don't know anything about me. So give me a dance, far, give me a DJ, give.
Speaker 1: Me a record forget what day you say? Because I need to go, need to get away tonight.
Speaker 5: I put my makeup on a Saturday, try to make it happen, trying.
Speaker 1: To make it a rite? Why this key? She was young and you why did I feel like I need to do it in that? Because I don't know Hubris.
Speaker 3: Mariana was right when she came on the podcast. I remember at the end of the podcast, I started to sing positions and like, She's like that key.
Speaker 1: She was like, that's a weird key. Let's just get get to the chorus and no.
Speaker 5: Man mistakes and live and left it day it's never really easy money, so okay.
Speaker 3: And the thing is, it's not a hard song to sing, but it's gonna feel like it's a hard song thing in a second.
Speaker 1: Because of what I've chosen, I think we go for it. Five six seven, wake Up, Wake Up on a Saturday night.
Speaker 5: Could be New York, maybe Hollywood, Invine Legend in Paris, maybe Tokyo. Something going on anyway, good night tonight, Yeah, tonight.
Speaker 1: We can have one Hillary Duff album in the studio. Which one should it be? It should be the new one. I have it. It's so good. I Mature is my favorite song of the year.
Speaker 3: Mature is minus Roommates Love That Do Too Bad. The episode's over, or we can verbally spar about that. It's pop culture topic next time. It's an eternal album. Next time on Lost Culture, which is how we end every episode.
Speaker 1: Lost Culture REACSS is the production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players and iHeartRadio podcasts.
Speaker 3: Created and hosted by Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang, Executive produced by Anna hasny A and produced by Decca Ramos, edited by hot Dog Sandwich and our music is by Henry Koberski.