Speaker 1: Hell We Suck At Being Newlyweds.
Speaker 2: With Dean Aungler, Haylen, Mikey and Jared Haven, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: What is going on? Everybody?
Speaker 4: Welcome to an all new episode of Help We Suck At Being Newlyweds. I'm Dean Bell, joined here by Kaylin Bell, with Jared Haven tuning in from his wife's glen room in Rhode Island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly where I am, dude. Sorry, Okay, First of all, I just left the dentist, so, like you guys can probably tell, they like half my face. It feels paralyzed right now, I'm getting a crown and listen, my dentist is great, but I've been to the dentist. I think this is the fifth time now. I went for my checkout and then I had I had a cavity and I needed a root canal. So then I went back got the root canal, but then they couldn't finish the root canal in time. It took like two hours and they said listen, so sorry, we're not done. To get a come back next week. So I went back next week, spend another two hours there, finished off the root canal, then went back to the dentist's office, like two weeks later. They needed to fill the cavity, so that took a couple hours. And then I went back this morning because they needed to shave down the tooth to get the crown in there. And now I go back in a couple hours to actually get the crown. So I've been to the dentists lot here. It sucks, Jared. Why do you have to do all that stuff? Why do you have to go to the dentist? Why do you have to do you have to forget your dental hygiene anyway, so everybody go you just don't get cavities and then go to the dentist more often.
Speaker 2: So how often do you go to the dentist?
Speaker 1: This is my first appointment in a couple of years, probably like three years.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest.
Speaker 2: I'll do it.
Speaker 1: I know it sucks. I brush, I floss, I do everything you need to do, but you just need to go and get that clean.
Speaker 3: Don't be honest. How often do you floss?
Speaker 1: I mean I've lost once a week. It's probably still not good enough.
Speaker 3: But I don't I don't know that really is helping it anyway.
Speaker 1: It's got to help at least a little bit.
Speaker 2: Dina's like one of those strange people who floss is like three times a day.
Speaker 4: You gotta get a water pick. I swear I haven't used it in a couple of weeks. But water pick, I think I've talked about it on this podcast before. Best invention in mankind in the history of mankind.
Speaker 2: But you usually floss and water pick.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's so great.
Speaker 4: Rants brush. But there are days where I skimp on my dental care routine, like forgetting to brush.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you do that often.
Speaker 2: But even if he forgets to brush, he still flosses.
Speaker 1: What the help you've done that before?
Speaker 4: I bet you if you asked a dentist, we should get a dentist on the spodcast. I bet if you were to ask a dentist like, hey, if I'm only going to do one at night, which one do you think is better for me to do? I bet you he would say floss. I bet you he'd say.
Speaker 1: I have to jump in here.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I have to contribute something.
Speaker 4: My father in law was in Vietnam and he didn't have a toothbrush for like four months, but he had floss, and he floss twice a day, and when he came back, his.
Speaker 3: Tea were perfect. There we go, they say it is.
Speaker 1: I swear to God, that's real.
Speaker 3: I just want to do it.
Speaker 1: First of all, Vietnam was back in the seventies. Yes, so the you know, a dentist back then probably didn't know what the hell they were talking about. So like, yeah, your teeth are perfect, and in fact, his teeth were terrible.
Speaker 2: I think we should all start brushing our teeth.
Speaker 4: Start stop. No, you still should brush them. But to Easton's point, and to my point, if you're only going to do one floss.
Speaker 2: I am stumped. My mind is blown.
Speaker 4: Think about all the grime and gunk that gets stuck between your teeth throughout the day. When you brush, you don't get rid of that stuff. It's still there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder why we just decided that flossing, like most of America decided that fossing, we just it's not necessary.
Speaker 4: I think it's because it hurts a lot of people and your gums bleed the first few times you do it. It's like a little uncomfortable, but it's quicker, it's more fun.
Speaker 3: I have way more fun than I floss.
Speaker 1: First of all, nobody has fun.
Speaker 4: Oh when they flush, I will tell you that, so okay, I can guys see it coming from. I have fun when I water picked, because even after flossing and brushing and rinsing a water pick and I still see little chunks of food pop out of the teeth sometimes, And that's fun.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 3: It makes fun. I'm like, yeah, that could have turned into plaque or tartar, but not anymore because now it's water picked right out of my mouth.
Speaker 2: Tina is great dental hygiene, like perfectly, you know.
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 4: I said that once on my Instagram story a long long time ago. I was like, the one thing I care most about is dental hygiene, and that's why I haven't been to the dentist in seven years. And some own responded and they're like, oh, you care so much about it, but you haven't been to the dentist in seven years.
Speaker 3: That doesn't really check out. So I do. I think I do it preventively because I hate the dentist so much.
Speaker 2: But we have a good dentist. Shout out to Chris.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, but I haven't seen him in three years.
Speaker 1: I know I miss going a cupcake. I missed going a cupcake a lot, So I'm on hellfline dot com. Yeah, and it says they interviewed doctor Anne Lornette in Louisiana and she said flossing and brushing isn't really an either or equation for optimum health. However, if you had to pick one, according to doctoral and Lorgnette in Louisiana, she says that flossing is more important if done correctly.
Speaker 3: There we go. I was thinking about getting braces when I moved to Colorado. Oh my gosh, would you be okay? Would you still love me if I had braces?
Speaker 2: Sure? But you don't need them. Your your thing with your teeth is so interesting to me.
Speaker 3: I have bad teeth.
Speaker 1: What about they're not braces but in visible line in.
Speaker 3: Visile line three times.
Speaker 4: I did smile direct club once and the first stint with in visi line did make a big difference. It corrected the major issue to a point that I was okay with. But then I kept getting in visilne wanting to fix this one little issue. This tooth is like two millimeters too far forward, and the invisil line doesn't have precise enough movements to fix it exactly how I want, and so now I need to get braces or surgery.
Speaker 3: But that's a little too extreme for me.
Speaker 4: Surgery for what like they could they could probably cut my gum open and like put the tooth in the exact spot that I want it.
Speaker 2: To be gan. There's nothing wrong with your teeth.
Speaker 3: There is so many things wrong with my teeth.
Speaker 1: Except I mean, there is that one tooth that I mean, I've noticed it quite a bit. That is two millimeters a little bit further off than your other teeth. Like, I didn't want to say anything, but every time I look at your face, I mean, I'm immediately drawn to it.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 4: I know you guys probably don't notice it, but I see in all my photos that I take, Kaylen's teeth are perfect. So every time I smile next to her, it just amplifies my you know, wonky looking teeth.
Speaker 2: Take compared to man made teeth.
Speaker 3: My teeth are man made.
Speaker 2: What would you call mine compared to artificial teeth?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, what are we talking about today, Kayelin?
Speaker 2: We're talking about New Year's Let's talk about the holidays that's coming up. Do you do you have any plans?
Speaker 1: Dean Jared No, I don't like going out for New Year's because it's just a recipe for getting a U or there's cops on the road. Don't drink and drive. Yeah, but even if you have two drinks, you could blow one point five or whatever the limit is. What is the limit?
Speaker 3: Point eight?
Speaker 1: Dean?
Speaker 2: You should know this, don't You guys have Uber out there?
Speaker 1: No, it's Rhode Island. It's might as well be you know, some other place.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're not gonna have Uber in Colorado. Yeah, so we're right there with them.
Speaker 1: We talked about you have Uber in Colorado, not in Aspen. That's a fair point because.
Speaker 2: I think you guys got stuck going to the wedding, right, You guys had to rent a car or someone did, maybe Tanya.
Speaker 1: For your wedding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because there.
Speaker 1: Were no ubers there. It was very difficult to get an Uber. So we ended up renting a car. Shout out to Turo, great app. But yeah, so we're not doing anything for New Year's. I very much enjoy watching New Year's Rocky and Eves. My ideal New Year's Eve is staying in having friends come over, like a couple of friends. We played board games, we play card games. They stay the night so no one's on the road, so we can drink and have fun and chill out, go to bed, watch New Year's Rock and Eve great times. And that's my ideal New Year's Eve. I'm not a big party guy. I mean, I guess it would be fun for once, you know, one time to dress up, you know, go to some sort of Gatsby party, drink champagne, you know, really really do it right, But that would be like a I only want to do that once in my life and that's it, and it's definitely not this year. You know, kids just throw wrenches into that.
Speaker 3: You've done that. You've probably done that in your twenties.
Speaker 1: Me, yes, No, Honestly my twenties, most of the time we would go over a friend's house. But when you lived in La for all those years, what did I know? I never, yo, did we do anything? Most of the time we were home for New Years first year off the bachelorette.
Speaker 4: You're telling me you didn't dress up nice in a nice suit and go out with some fancy hallowe Hollywood New Year's E party?
Speaker 2: Did you No?
Speaker 1: I went to a club. I went to a bar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that counts.
Speaker 2: A bar could be fun. I'm not into the whole club thing, but my ideal New Year's is like a cozy cabin, playing games, staying in like what we did last year in Aspen. That was perfect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we saw the fireworks at seven. I was asleep by ten. Yeah, don't drink a little too mass back up at one.
Speaker 2: But this year I think we are. I kind of want to just go to dinner, go have one last nice dinner in Vegas, dress up a little, just a little, nothing crazy, and then go home. Maybe watch the ball drop, maybe not. It would just be nice to end our Vegas residency on a high.
Speaker 3: A residency. Yeah that's true. Is that an ending on a high? Because that doesn't really sound very enjoyable to me?
Speaker 2: For me, ended on a high for me? Right, So that's that's what I want to do. Cassie beach House.
Speaker 1: Have you guys always kiss someone at at midnight? As there?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 1: Is there like a men, Marie of you either not kissing someone and it being an impactful moment for you or kissing someone and it being an impactful moment for you.
Speaker 2: I thought you were talking about us as a couple because I don't. I think one of us is always asleep when the ball drops, when it hits midnight, one of us. Yeah, but I don't think I have a memory, do you Guys? Let me think about it for a second.
Speaker 1: I've never like kissed a stranger, you know, to be like, oh, if it's midnight, we're sitting next to each other.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely not a stranger.
Speaker 3: I think I've done that.
Speaker 2: It's like a rom com thing.
Speaker 3: I've done that in Colorado.
Speaker 2: I think that makes sense for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're just looking around, all your friends are busy doing stuff. The ball is dropping. You go into panic mode. You see a person that isn't kissing someone. You say, hey, do you want to kiss real quick? And they're like yeah, sure, and then you just kiss and then you leave and never talk to them again. That's happened to me before.
Speaker 1: Interesting that has happened to you before?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Definitely? Was it?
Speaker 1: Like, you know, it's obviously weird now because your wife is sitting us to you. But was it like horrible? Was it a horrible kiss? No?
Speaker 4: I'm I mean everyone's drunk enough tour, nothing is really that bad at that point. But yeah, no, I mean I know for a fact. It happened once in Colorado when I was like probably twenty three or twenty four.
Speaker 3: I think that was probably the only time in Denver.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, I had hated Denver because going out it was like pure chaos, and unless you had a good, solid friend group to go out with, it like wasn't very fun. So there's a couple of nights I went out in Denver with like one or two friends, and you know, if they bring a girl with them, especially for New Years, then you're kind of on your own to figure out to defend for yourself. And so there was one years where I was like, oh gosh, I've got nothing going on. No one's talking to me.
Speaker 3: My game is so bad, and then desperation sets in and you got to find someone to kiss. Thankfully I wasn't alone.
Speaker 2: I've never heard you talk about your game before.
Speaker 4: Well, it's because I don't have games. Well, I don't talk about it. I can't talk about something that doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: My game is so bad.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: It is bad. It's very bad.
Speaker 2: Hey, life.
Speaker 4: Thankfully, I've been able to coast by on my looks for a while, but now that those are out the window as well. And well I'm married, so I don't need game, I guess, but but yeah, it's it's tough out there for you know, I'm conventionally mildly attractive person that can't spit any game.
Speaker 2: On see with some crooked, crooked butt teeth. You're crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: My goal in life. You guys talked about like some of your goals in terms of entertainment, wanted to be back on TV. My goal is I want to be a part of the New Year's Rocky and Eve celebration in New York. I want to be one of the correspondents that Seacrest sends it down to and is in the midst of the crowd and getting reactions to be like, we're only forty five minutes away from the ball dropping. I have Susie here from Illinois, was traveled all the way. She's never been to New York before. I want to be that guy.
Speaker 2: I feel like you can make that happen.
Speaker 1: So I have put out feelers this year. I put them out too late, though, because they said that everything was already scheduled and ready to go. So my goal for twenty twenty four one of my New Year's resolutions something we could talk about, because you know, twenty twenty four is right around the corner. My new Year's resolution is to be in some way a part of the New Year's Rocket Eve celebration in New York, not visiting it. It would be cool visit, but it seems actually I lied. It's so funny how I would never want to be a part of the crowd there if I was just going to watch, but I would love to be about a part of the crowd there if I was working it. So my new Year's resolution is I want to work the New Year's Rocket Eve next year in some capacity.
Speaker 2: That's a great goal.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: What's your goal?
Speaker 1: Tem I got a whole year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's your goal, Kaitlin? Your resolution?
Speaker 2: I pointed to you because I'm not sure and I need to think about it. So what's yours?
Speaker 3: You don't have a single resolution?
Speaker 2: Will you go first, and then I'll come up with mine.
Speaker 3: I don't really ever make New Year's solutions, Can you start?
Speaker 1: I knew he was gonna say that. God, you're so dean.
Speaker 4: I don't prescribe to the idea of everything. I don't need a New Year to convince me to start doing something. If I care enough about it, I'll just start doing it.
Speaker 2: That's frustrating.
Speaker 1: See symbolism of a new year, like I like the idea of like flipping the page. Okay, here we go a new year, January. First, let's get going. I know it's ridiculous, Dean. Your thought process is much more logical, much more sound, and something that I should prescribe to, like don't wait till the first of the year. Having said that, for some reason, maybe it's just human nature, there is something about the new year. Hey, let's let's get it going. It's going.
Speaker 4: It's a fresh star. It's like a good way to kind of kick yourself in the butt. I will say I probably will use this next year to get back in shape. I say that every year never happens. I even climbed a bunch of mountains this summer and I got kind of okay shape, but I wasn't happy with my muscle tone. So I'm gonna get some new I'm gonna get some muscle tone back. That's the plan.
Speaker 2: That's cool. I was thinking about, you know, maybe becoming a personal trainer one day, so I could become your personal trainer.
Speaker 4: No hard pass, hard pastor both of those things. Why I don't want you to be a personal trainer A and I don't want you to personally train.
Speaker 2: Why can I be a personal trainer?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm saying that you can't be one. I would just don't think it's a good career path for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm really into working out these days and it's pretty fun. That's great, So I could turn it into a business. But I think, speaking of businesses, I think one of my goals there have been two businesses that I have been thinking about for a couple of years now, and I want to officially like start.
Speaker 3: Not some here on the podcast.
Speaker 2: No, I need to like get you know, all the copyright stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, Slava track, come on.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm really into jewelry, so I would love to eventually start my own jewelry line. Okay, and then do just do a brand with Dean, like kind of a camping, outdoorsy hiking brand with Dean.
Speaker 3: Whatever happened to your backpacks?
Speaker 2: That's what I was just talking about.
Speaker 3: Oh, whatever happened to them?
Speaker 2: We need to put some more work into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we worked so hard on it for a second, and then nowhere.
Speaker 1: So those are my two goals.
Speaker 3: I am a.
Speaker 1: I'm a backpack whore. Oh great, I love backpacks. So if you guys designed a backpack, you let me know because I would love to get one and sample it and just talk about how much. Obviously I'll love it.
Speaker 2: Oh amazing, it's designed. We just have to I mean, like, you know, I've got the whole render, but we need to actually make it, put it into production, so you'll be the first one to get one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is it like not giving away too many details? Is it a backpack that's more for function like Dean like, you're going hiking with this backpack? Or am I you know? Is this more of a fashion overfunction?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Caitlyn, what is it?
Speaker 2: It's versatile. It's not necessarily like you're not going to go backpacking like his crazy big backpack, but you can hike or you can travel. You know, there's there's a lot of functions to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like it. It's nice.
Speaker 2: We'll see if this backpack ever comes to life.
Speaker 3: It's been about three years in the making now. Yeah, it's probably not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: But you know, we always have things going on. We have the wedding, we have the honeymoon. We're now just bought a house, so it's like, now that we're in our permanent home, going to be in a couple of weeks, I feel like we can focus on on that.
Speaker 4: Maybe yeah, on the backpacks, m h, yeah, I just don't really. The thing with those things is I don't really have anything to contribute to the whole process, and so I don't really I don't feel connection to those types of things.
Speaker 2: That's fair. I want to go back to why you think I shouldn't be a personal trainer.
Speaker 4: Weird hours, inconsistent work, interesting in client base, unpredictable.
Speaker 2: Seems like the place for it, like gonna need personal trainers and AskMen you like have.
Speaker 3: To make it your whole persona to.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, that's what I don't want to do. Okay, I'll pivot.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's why I don't want you to become a personal trainer. The dive into the persona is what I don't like. Not that it's a bad thing. Personal trainers are great. I know a few, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not ready for it to become my whole personality. I'll just work out by myself.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: I was watching Chris's vacation and it's so nice having the snow on the ground and getting ready for the holidays, and it's like we're just I feel like everything is pushed back. The seasons are changing. Whenever you think about climate change, something's happening because it's it's changed. December is much warmer, and then it starts getting like we're not going to get snow till late January or forebody feels like and it's very sad. There's no such thing as a Whitechristmas around here anymore. It's depressing. Uh and uh, you know, spring and Summer's a whole nother conversation I can get into, but as of right now, like, I just want to white Christmas, guys. I want it to be like cold, and I want to walk outside there's snow flurries and I got my pea coat on and I'm you know, I'm just like in a Hallmark Christmas movie? Is that too much to ask for? This is why I live a Wood Island.
Speaker 3: That's why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think I live with my friends and family, I don't give a shit about them. I just want cold weather for Christmas.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think we're supposed to get four inches in Bozeman on Sunday, which would be Christmas Day. Yeah, so we'll see. We'll see if gus Christmas Eve, that's right. But yeah, I just excited to watch some football, eat some food. My brother's birthdays are coming up, so we're gonna get to celebrate with them, even though when my my one brother's being a real punk about bringing our dog with us to his house for Christmas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dean has to drive the van out to Bozeman. He's going to sleep in the van with Alistair because Alister's band from the house.
Speaker 1: Why is Alistair banned from the house Because he's.
Speaker 3: A little crapper.
Speaker 2: He bites but he doesn't have teeth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've got they've got a young kid, and they're worried about traumatizing the kid, which I guess I understand.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to argue.
Speaker 4: I mean, I am going to argue against it, obviously, but only to a certain degree because I do see where he's coming from. But yes, I'm driving the van de Boseman so that way Alistair can have a little mobile home on wheels and he doesn't have to go into the house.
Speaker 3: But because I don't want to board board the dog. He's so old.
Speaker 4: Calen thinks he has dementia, which I think it might be like setting on And I don't know how many more Christmas Christmases we're going to have with him, so I want to make sure that we, you know, enjoy the time that we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty sad. He's an old guy. He's we don't know how many years he's got left. It's going downhill.
Speaker 1: I also think, like from personal experience with Alistair him when he was at the wedding and he was just throwing around, you know, biting people, and I would just let him bite my fingers. It's very nice feeling. It's just gums against your fingers. Like I actually quite enjoyed that feeling. I don't think you would tumatize their kids. I mean, the only thing would be like the actual snapping, the visual of it. But he's not inflicting any pain on anybody, right. You and TJ were really the only two guests at the wedding that I kind of like leaned into it. Everyone else got a little too scared, but you and TJ were like, bite me, I don't care which I get.
Speaker 3: Oh, come on, teeth it's like a little hand massage. It's like a people probably pay good money for that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's our Christmas plan. Dane's going to sleep in the van on Christmas. I'm going to sleep in the warmhouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's not what I would prefer. I'm a little annoyed. I do get where they're coming from. And if we had a baby and we just moved into a new house and one of the their dogs was problematic, I would say just bored them. But if it were up to me, we would board out. But it's it's too late. And I get where Dean's coming from.
Speaker 4: It's like, also, you you kind of like you kind of take these responsibilities on when you adopt a senior. You know it's not gonna be perfect. You kind of have to like take the punches.
Speaker 2: And I get that people, you know, people don't love his attitude and it's not the best. And we've tried with trainers, you know, we've gone through many trainers, but we can't give up on him. Like the other option is to send him back to a shelter and then they'll put him down.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so the van it is, yeah, and it's just it's just a little it's a little inconvenient for me because it's twelve hours from here to Bozeman and then twelve hours from Bozeman to Carbondale, or it's just seven hours from here to Carbondale. So just it's a bit not it doesn't put a wrench in anything, but it does. It does complicate the situation a little bit, and hopefully the van makes it. You know, I haven't really driven the van all that much lately. I've done some work on it recently to get it ready for this road trip. But you never know when you might have a breakdown. So if it breaks down, I'm just gonna be spinning Christmas by myself on the side of the road somewhere in Utah.
Speaker 2: Probably I'll come join you.
Speaker 3: You would, Yeah, No, you wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I would.
Speaker 4: I don't think it'd be possible to, Like, how would you get out there, flying into an airport, rent the car and just come driving. I guess, yeah, it's true, But yeah, that's our plan. Pretty pretty lame and boring Christmas. Now that we're married and have an old dog.
Speaker 2: So well, it's not lame, it's it's just a little inconvenient, but it'll still be fun.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, it's not like we're doing anything crazy exciting for Christmas.
Speaker 2: I don't think we ever really do well.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, because we're married.
Speaker 2: Even before we were married, does anyone have like a crazy Christmas?
Speaker 4: I've had some crazy Christmases. I went to Australia one year. I broke my leg in Switzerland one year. That was Christmas day before Christmas, two days day before Chrismas.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Nice, yeah, but no more of that. You know.
Speaker 1: We also have a lot of single people that probably listen to this podcast. Ah, And it's said and widely accepted that the holidays are the worst time of year to be single.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't know what's your argument against that idea.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're with someone, U there's a lot of compromise in terms of family time, where you're going to be, whose house you're going to be at, if you have to go to multiple families on the day. I mean, there's so many people that I know that don't even go to their family's house anymore because they're like, I just we just want to stay home. We just want to chill out. We want to stay in our like relax on Christmas because they've done the family Christmases because they've been in relationships and they're just you know, they have to go to this person's house and then that person's house, and then they eat a little bit there, and then they eat a little bit there, and then they go to dessert, and it's like by the time the day's over, it's like, well that that was just chaos. That wasn't even fun. So my point being is if you're single, hopefully at some point in your life you won't be single and you'll have a significant other that you can spend the holidays with. But as of right now, enjoy this time because guess what Christmas morning comes, you can do whatever the hell you want. Christmas Eve, you can do whatever you You can go to this person's house if you want. You don't have to go to this person's house. Because ideally, like when you're with the holidays, you know, it's like if you're not in a relationship, it's just like it's not as not that you're not wanted, but it's like, you know, oh, cousin Caroline didn't come over today, that's all right, we'll move on. But if you've got kids or magnificant other people want to meet them. People want to hang out. So like my point being, just enjoy your time. Enjoy this time in your life right now where it's calm, and you can look forward to New Year's Eve because then you can go out and you can kiss a stranger if you want, because there's no there's nothing holding your back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For me, it's food reminds me a lot of the holidays, like the things that we grew up eating. So does Ashley's family eat similar things to what you did for Christmas? Even Christmas?
Speaker 1: I forced them to, Oh that's smart.
Speaker 2: I don't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they're never turkey stuffing mashed potato people. They just are not that family. And then I said, listen, because we go there for Thanksgiving. If we go over for Thanksgiving, I want to have a Thanksgiving at the house and I'll cook the turkey. I don't care. I'll do whatever needs it needs to be done in order to have this happen. Because they were the type of people that would go out to dinner and not even get a Thanksgiving dinner. It was like they were going to like capital grill for Thanksgiving, and I was like, I'm not going. I'm not getting a steak on the last Thursday of every novempin Like this is not happening. So I really made sure that we like stayed at home watch football. Like even I get a little I don't get dressed up, but I'll put a nice like we're not leaving the house, but I'll put a nice sweater on, some jeans on, you know, make myself look presentable.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: I like the whole thing. So and that includes Christmas as well. We just haven't spent a Christmas to Virginia, so Christmas is here in Rhode Island are very similar to the food, like I, you know, my mom still makes you know, mashed potato, knows my dad still makes the stovetop stuffing. So very nostalgic towards that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm used to like a potluck we had like a very suburban neighborhood where all neighbors would get together on Christmas Eve and everyone would bring different dishes, and then on Christmas we'd usually have like similar to Thanksgiving, like a big kind of Thanksgiving e meal, maybe ham instead of turkey, I don't know. But and then you come into other people you know, you're in law's family and they're in laws you like, it's it's kind of so Dean's brother's wife has different traditions than Dean and his family than me and my family, So it's kind of like mixing all the different foods together, and it's something I'm not used to. Ashually typically eats spaghetti on Christmas, which isn't something I'm particularly used to.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, let's be honest, everyone that had a semi decent and upbringing is going to always miss the Christmas and the Thanksgiving dinners that they had at their family when they were kids, just from a pure nostalgia thing. Like even if my mom made the turkey and bad mashed potatoes and crappy stuffing every Thanksgiving, that's what I would still want to have every Thanksgiving is the same style of food because it's just what I grew up eating. I was happy and comfortable with. So I think any time that you, you know, differ from whatever you're used to, it gets a little because I agree, like even when we go over to your grandparents' house, their food is so good. They're such good cooks and they make such interesting cuisines, but because it's not what I've i ate for so long as a kid, it just doesn't ever feel fully like the same holiday. It's a great holiday, and I still have so much fun, and I still enjoy every second of it, but it doesn't feel exactly the same.
Speaker 2: You know, they make traditional Thanksgiving food.
Speaker 3: What are you used to not salmon? Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that was weird, But that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Even the traditional food that they make, it is traditional Thanksgiving food, but it's not cooked in the same style that I'm used to eating it as a kid. And again, not to say one's better or worse, but simply just because I'm used to eating it a certain way for so long as a kid, that's kind of what I've grown accustomed to and gotten used to, you know, not saying one's better or worse than the other.
Speaker 3: It could be very clear.
Speaker 2: It just I mean, even similar foods to me make it feel more like the holidays. Like I'm not used to having Chinese food on Christmas Eve or pasta on Christmas.
Speaker 3: Day, Jared, do you do that right? Chinese food on Christmas Eve?
Speaker 1: A variation of it really depends, but most likely it's New Year's Eve, but either an eve, a New Year's Eve, Christmas Eve. We're getting Chinese food at some point.
Speaker 3: Who gets Chinese food on New Year's Eve? That's crazy unless.
Speaker 2: You're like in a cabin just hanging out. What do you mean New Year's Eve. Yeah, if you're in a cabin hanging out, like.
Speaker 4: I just said, I don't understand. That's when you get Chinese food, you get Chinese yo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're staying in yeah, playing games.
Speaker 3: I guess I get that. I just you're going to do. I didn't think that there was a New Year's Eve food tradition that people have.
Speaker 1: All I know is that The Islander, which is a very popular Chinese restaurant near my house, grew up on every New Year's Eve. Bonker's in there. It's off the chain, Like you're waiting an hour and a half for your food, so we always call ahead, make sure we give them plenty of time. Oh yeah, it's a whole kit and kaboodle that I enjoy a lot. This is a I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not if I should know what this is, But all my life, I've never known what it is. I've never asked what it is, and I always hear the phrase, what is a potluck?
Speaker 4: Isn't that just a Kitlin probably knows it seems like kind of more of an Eastern Southern thing maybe, but.
Speaker 2: A potluck is just you know, everyone brings a different dish, so like you're I'm coming, I'm bringing soup. Dean comes, he brings mashed potatoes, and everyone's just and then you've got an incredible meal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a Ray style, Like everyone brings their own dish byof.
Speaker 2: Yeah, byof bring your own food.
Speaker 1: So there's no uh direction, there's nobody saying you bring this, you bring that. Like everybody they're on their own. They cook whatever the hell they want to cook.
Speaker 2: Typically, you have good communication and you guys discuss what you're bringing, Like I've got desserts covered and I've got appetizers covered.
Speaker 4: Right, you can't have twenty people bring brownies. Oh that's a lot of brownies.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's a lot of communication involved.
Speaker 3: What made you think of pot luck, by the way, because I said it, Oh you said potluck?
Speaker 2: Pot luck on Christmas Eve.
Speaker 1: I've heard of potluck before. Easton is saying, you've never heard that before. I have heard potluck before, he's saying.
Speaker 4: He's not just saying you never heard that before. He's saying in all caps. Ha, he's laughing in your face about having never heard of a potluck before. That's okay, Ah, what a jerk? Where what are my thoughts? Oh, it's it's I have heard it before.
Speaker 1: It's just that I've never inquired about what it means because I'm like a potluck And then I get it makes sense now that you explain it. That's kind of where I would assumed it was. But I've never just like been a part of a pot luck. I don't know why it's called potluck. It used to mean food provided for an unexpected guest, for the luck of the pot.
Speaker 3: That's where the name there.
Speaker 2: We go for the luck of the pot.
Speaker 4: We learned something new every time we hear from you, we too. He's the voice of information. I guess, yeah, so that's that's that's what we're doing for Christmas.
Speaker 2: So you guys have never cooked for a potluck, then I'm guessing.
Speaker 3: I've never cooked for myself.
Speaker 2: True. Our friend Alicia was just talking on her podcast and she was like, there's nothing more embarrassing than going to a potluck and at the end of the night, you're like, where's my dish? Let me go, hope everyone enjoyed it and nobody has touched your dish. It's mortifying.
Speaker 3: Alicia was saying that she.
Speaker 2: Like posted it on her Instagram. Oh, I see yeah, and it really truly is. I've had that happen before and you're like, hmm, be cooked. Yeah, but you guys haven't partaken, so you wouldn't know the shame involved.
Speaker 4: Sure, but maybe sometimes people just thought like that specific dish and it's less about how you prepared it and more about just what you made could be you know.
Speaker 3: That's what I would tell myself anyways to make myself feel better.
Speaker 2: Especially with desserts, because desserts are so personal and there's always so many desserts, so if yours doesn't get touched, it's like, it's fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We went to that cookie party last weekend in LA and pot luck for cookies. More or less everyone brought a batch of cookies. There's you know, twenty different styles of cookies. Similar thing there was, you know, one or two of the batches were consumed pretty quickly and then by the end of the night. There was like some people's cookies hadn't even been touched, and then I feel really bad for them, so I like to eat them. They eat a couple of them, throw a couple in the trash can so it looks like they've been eating.
Speaker 2: That's also something that was a tradition growing up. My mom would always have cookie parties, and these are things that I want to do when I have more adult friends in Asmen hopefully, and all of our friends would come over and they'd like play games. And this was when Chick fil at sauce was really big, and before they actually bottled it and selled it sold it, you could like dispense it from a machine, so people would like all be gunning for the Chick fil a sauce and it was just a really fun time. So I'm excited to grow up a bit and have more adult friends.
Speaker 3: Do you think we're going to be good at making friends in the Aspen?
Speaker 2: I think so because I've put myself out there more in Vegas and I've made a handful of friends recently at workout classes, and I think I'll be immediately doing that in Aspen versus waiting two years.
Speaker 3: That's good I'm pumped.
Speaker 2: I'm going to make a lot of friends, and then we can have also one of my girlfriends toy she grew up having her parents would have progressive dinner parties, which I'm really interested in this, So like their whole neighborhood. They would start drinks at this person's house, move have appetizers at the next person's house, and then they'd have sitters for all the kids, and then they keep moving around to different meals, which would be really fun. That's what I want. I want like a more neighborhoody feel like right now, know, we have neighbors and they're friendly, but nobody's really friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because every time they have the community party, we're out of town. That's very true, and they all have kids. And also we're not going to get that in Colorado because we don't really have many neighbors.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, maybe maybe more houses will be developed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think that's kind of the appeal of living up there is you don't really have anyone close to you, super close to you, at least actually Jared funny story. So I email their hoa president you should. I'm not going to share all of it, but I email their Hoa President and I was like, hey, just introducing myself for moving out there in January, blah blah blah. And he goes, oh, happy to have you moving in. By the way, are you Brad Unclert's brother? And I was like I am, and he goes, oh, it's just like the fact that the eighth the president were Hoa who I've never heard of, happens to know my brother. It's just such a small world.
Speaker 2: No, I mean Aspen Salt Carbon Eail is so small. It's crazy because everyone knows Dean. Like, no matter where we go, everyone's like, oh, Dean Ungling.
Speaker 3: Which isn't a good thing.
Speaker 4: By the way, you're going to see pretty fast that that's going to be quite an obstacle for us to Well, that's why.
Speaker 2: We changed our last names. Nobody knows the Bells.
Speaker 3: Yet, right, nobody knows the Bells yet.
Speaker 4: But whenever you say who your father in law is, they're going to be like, oh, God, to keep away from this girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: So it should be a good should be a good experience for us.
Speaker 1: I think, why are you, uh, why does everybody know who you are just because of the show?
Speaker 4: No, well maybe, but small town. I was in trouble with the cops a lot as a kid out there. My brothers also like similar situation.
Speaker 2: They you know, nobody is saying about okay, so we're running into people left and right when we're an Aspen and everyone just knows of you guys as like nobody's ever said a bad thing, Like oh everyone, you guys are very kind people and very friendly people.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to say it to our faces, but like popular people, we're always like, don't hang around those kids. Well, I guess Brad was like kind of a big he was a big person personality in town, and he lived there. He lived there for like seven years after college, so he made a name for himself. I guess he was like a contributor to the Aspen Times. He was active in the community. Maybe he was just a really popular guy, and so I'm always kind of living in his shadow a little bit.
Speaker 3: But hopefully once we get out there we can make names for ourselves.
Speaker 2: And I don't know a lot about Asmen, but it feels like it's pretty pretty small and it's mostly just people traveling in to ski or hike or whatever.
Speaker 3: Right, you see, Justin Bieber was just there with Oh, Haley, what's your name?
Speaker 2: Bieber?
Speaker 3: Haley Bieber. Of course they were just there.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool. Yeah, you should hit him up next. He was there last time. We were there too with Kendall last year. But yeah, it seems like it's just very small and most people are just coming and going intourss So it feels like a fun little community to be a part of.
Speaker 4: Right, and then when X games comes around, you can get up on the tables and say.
Speaker 1: We grew here, you flew here, We grew here, you flew here.
Speaker 3: That's what we used to yell at tourists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that sounds like a high school thing.
Speaker 4: Pretty embarrassing, and but hey, it's not wrong. They're they're stepping on it all right. Before we wrap up. Before we wrap up this podcast, we've had about forty minutes now. Any last New Year resolutions I'm in mind was to be a part of New Year's Rocket Eve. Also my second one, number two in no particular order, and I'm putting family stuff aside. This is more of just like you know, resolutions for work purposes. I would love in the year of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: I think I made this as a New Year's resolution this year, so I'm pushing it back, is to write and direct my own short film. So I plan on doing that, and I am putting it out in the universe to hold myself accountable because I really really think that i'd be able to do it. I think I'd be able to do it well, and.
Speaker 4: I want to do it more importantly, if you need a like an extra, I'll be an extra in that, like the fifth the fifth person on the call sheet.
Speaker 1: You'll be my AD so, which is the assistant to the director. So you'll just get me a coffee and stuff.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I want to be in the film, but I don't want to have any speaking lines. Maybe like one word like watch out and then like that's my only life and then I get shot in the head or something. You know, Oh that could be nice, just a simple, like hard thing for me to mess up. But you know, by no means do you feel should you feel obligated to do this. I'm just I'm just simply trying to, you know, put it out into the universe, hold myself accountable, as some would say, and see if I can make something happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like if I was to make a Spider Man movie. You be the guy in the crowd to be like, look Spider Man, and then that would be it exactly.
Speaker 4: And then when you become a huge director, it could be like the stan Lee thing where instead of putting yourself in small roles, I'm always in a small role.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so that'd be slily strick.
Speaker 3: Just keep it in mind. Just keep it in mind. That's great.
Speaker 4: Do you have a script ready or are you just going to kind of do it all from starting now. I'm writing a script right now.
Speaker 1: My idea is I would love to do a short horror film feels like the most obtainable and cost friendly and also just production wise, i'd be able to you know, I want to keep it as grounded as possible so I can just shoot everything in camera. But I do have a concept of a horror movie that I like, and it's kind of like a home invasion film. So that's kind of what my mind goes towards right now.
Speaker 4: So what are your other news resolutions besides becoming a personal trainer and starting a backpack line.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to become a personal trainer. I just really like working out. I thought I could maybe profit from it in some way.
Speaker 1: I think you can.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you could. That would involve wee.
Speaker 2: I could create my own workouts and like do an app or something. Not that there's you know, so many of those out there already. But another goal is just this is silly, but to make Aspen feel like home and find good friends out there, because right now my friends are mostly in LA so it would be nice to have a good group out there.
Speaker 1: Well, I wonder if there's some way to create something where you can have events like Kaylen, you would be able to create friends or like make friends by creating events that are centered around working out, so you meet new people, you're still going down the path of a healthy lifestyle. It kind of like combines both. I don't know, that's interesting. I feel like there's something there isn't that just like a workout class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my friend does something like that in New York. He names Live and she brings I think it's called hot and Social. So she like brings all these young people together. They do workout classes. They like, she's done camp social where they all go to camp, And especially in New York, it's like such a hard place to meet people, so that could be fun.
Speaker 1: In Aspen, you got to be young and hot though for it that's just her name for it.
Speaker 2: Hot. In Social Animal, you don't have to be young or hot.
Speaker 1: If if you're in New York and you're part of that app, you probably have to be hot and young.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I like the idea. It's I just really need to work on putting myself out there, and I'm interested to see how you will do. If you'll like just fall onto your high school friends and their friends, or if you'll put yourself out there and meet new people.
Speaker 3: M it's gonna be tricky for me.
Speaker 4: I've I've kind of been stressed about it a little bit about how I'm going to do this.
Speaker 2: So we'll see, are you going to insert yourself back into this life?
Speaker 4: Like you know, my brother's got a lot of friends that still live out there, and they're really great people, but I'm not really going to be friends with them, you know, at least, like I'll like ski with them sometimes, but I'm not gonna be like best friends with them and go hang out with them or anything like that.
Speaker 3: For the most part.
Speaker 2: Well, the cool thing about being an adult is you get to decide who friends are.
Speaker 3: That's a really good point. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know at this point in my life, Like, I don't need more friends, and so if you're going to be my friend, you really got to blow my socks off.
Speaker 2: We need friends locally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm pretty introverted and reclusive as it is, Like I could I could never see anyone else for the rest of my life and still be fine. You know, sure you don't believe me, No, you don't agree.
Speaker 2: You were just telling me that the way the best way to fight depression is to have male friendships.
Speaker 4: Well I'm not saying the best way. I've said that on the podcast many times that it's scientifically proven that the more male friendships you have in your life, the less you are likely to be rest Yeah, so don't twist my words.
Speaker 3: And that's something that I didn't actually say.
Speaker 4: I'm saying me personally, I could probably skate by for the rest of my life without having many friends, Like I don't need a lot of friends, but I would like them, Like sure, why not.
Speaker 3: So we'll see how it all unfolds. I'm curious to see how it happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is this the final episode twenty twenty three. I believe so this is Oh my god, we're.
Speaker 4: About to move into our eighth year of existence, right. Twenty sixteen is probably when we.
Speaker 1: Said that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of my entire life. Yeah, go us so podcast is murder around for eight years.
Speaker 3: Go you guys.
Speaker 4: If you've been listening to this podcast in September twenty sixteen, good on you, Good on your mate, because what the heck, what the heck are what the heck.
Speaker 1: Are you doing our listeners Australia, Now, good on your mate.
Speaker 3: No, No, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's actually true or not if it's been eight years, but I do think September twenty sixteen is when this podcast started, so we would be moving into our eighth calendar year, which is quite the feat. But yeah, thank you guys so much for listening, Thank you for subscribing to the podcast and continuing to give us a chance. Anything else we want to say before we get out of.
Speaker 2: Here, Thank you so much for listening. We appreciate you listening, you emailing, you, commenting on the videos, your support.
Speaker 4: That's gonna do it for this week's episode to be sure to tune in next year, or maybe we suck just a little bit less.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: Follow us on Instagram at help we Suck at being Newlyweds, and email us.
Speaker 2: At Newlyweds at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. We'll see you next time.