Speaker 1: I just got an email asking if I wanted to euthanize the coyotes in my backyard or try to relocate them. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, we have two dogs at the house and Stanley is a bulldog. He's eight now, which is crazy because those bulldogs, man, they are broken. So we're hoping for a long, long life from him. Had a pretty successful eight years. And then we have a dog that's half husky half hound, and she loves to hunt animals that's on our property and our property we have a normal backyard, but then we have some makers of just woods and she tends to just run out in the woods all the time and occasionally she comes back with a rabbit or squirrel, definitely the hound part of her. And so we were out in the backyard a week or so ago and I heard her go a little un characteristic of her back in the woods. Thought maybe a snake a bitter. It turns out it was a coyote that bitter, and so she got in a fight, got attacked by a coyote, and our properties fenced in, but we didn't know exactly what bitter for a while. And then she couldn't use her left back leg and she's dragging it through the house. So luckily I have a friend that's a vet doctor, Josie, and I call her and we get Ella in. She's gonna be fine now. Now she's walking around pretty normal. But we can't let the dogs go out in the backyard now because it's connected to the woods. And so the email I just got was we're going to hire some trappers to come out and would I be okay with them euthanizing the coyotes or relocated, And again it's a mom and at least three babies. I would rather them relocate. Here's the problem of the six people that we have that will come and get the coyotes off the property, because we have to have them off the property because our dogs live there. Only one of the six will come out and actually I don't know, cuddle them, kiss them, take them and release them to the wild. The other five just kill them, and they're dirty animals, but they're still animals. And so to get the person that will just relocate them, it is going to take almost two weeks longer than somebody who will just come out trap them and kill them. So I'm torn. I'm not torn. You know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna say relocate them. And that's annoying because that's our yard. Those coyotes, they don't know the difference. They're just trying to survive. And I'm not here as a coyote apologist. Heck, one just attack my dog, and they are dirty and they probably have rabies. Luckily, Yeller Hudder shots all up to date, and we went and got her a booster immediately from doctor Josie. But I'm just gonna have to go pay more money for the youth and ized group. And then on top of that, wait two extra weeks, and we got to make sure we get the parent and at least all three of the babies. Like, if we're gonna do this, let's do it right. Heck, let's get him out for adoption. Who wants to adopt these coyotes. Let's just do it. Let's just go all in. If you're watching this right now, you're watching this episode of In the Weeds, you want to adopt four coyotes? Boy do I got a family fruit? They are awesome pets. Clean anyway, I was dealing with that right before we came on here, Welcome to the show called in the Weeds, where I just talk about things that are happening that I thought no one would care about, mostly in my career in my life. So here we go with probably episode eight or so. I'll say this and this is very in the weeds. I didn't think people would much care for this, and it kind of popped off on YouTube and I've had people inside the industry that I work in go, man, I really like that show. To me weird because I don't talk about anything that I would talk about on the radio show because it's very much what they would call inside. But we've now done enough of these episodes in podcast form audio only. It's the same thing as video, but and they perform better than some of the bigger interviews that I do, which I feel like maybe people have a decent amount of interest in some of the stuff that I'm talking about that I thought was too inside the industry or my life that no one really care about. So we're gonna do more of these because I'm surprised that they do better than some of the episodes where we have stars on and I interviewed them. So here we are in the Weeds, don't know what episode it is. Let's just call it episode eight for right now. I do want to talk about a time I met a lady in the lobby at a television station. And I want to build this off of something that Amy was saying on the radio show. She was talking about just say hi to people. You never know where that could take you in life. And she was telling the story of her meeting me in at Culver's in Austin, Texas. And the brief version of that story is I was getting my tires rotated. I don't know, it's probably two thousand and five if I'm guessing, and I'm in Culvers and I don't know Amy, but she comes up to me and says, hey, I know your show. And then her and her friend whose parents owned that Culvers, they gave me like some ice cream coupons. Now, I was new in Austin. The show was not a success yet, so it wasn't like I had tons of fans. But she knew the show and so met her there, met her again, and she ended up being a co host on the show. Came on as a producer at first, and then she became a co host, and it was all because she said hi to me at Culver's and I thought she was super interesting, super funny, and she said, you never know what will happen in life if you just say hi to someone, which leads me to this same type of thing, probably six or so years ago. I'm in Los Angeles. It's not my favorite place. I don't have a good relationship with it because if I'm out there, I'm only working, and if I'm only working, I'm doing the radio show early in the morning, and then I'm doing whatever else job that I'm out there to do, and I'm sitting in traffic all the time, and I'm in a hotel. I'm car sick. Like. My relationship with LA is not great because of that, because I never just have time to hang out and experience the beach. Although not a big beach fan either. So I'm in LA and I am at Disney Studios different than Disney Land. I'm at Disney Studios, and Disney owns obviously Disney Channel, it owns ABC, it owns Hulu, you know all those properties. And I had gone up and I had auditioned for a show that ABC was doing, a daytime talk show on day one when they had all the scrubs in. I was a scrub to them. They didn't really know me, but they knew had a big radio show, and they brought me in and I made it through day one and got to day two smash Cut. I ended up making that daytime talk show as a host. It was me and Dion Sanders, and the pilot was funded. We shot a pilot. We were there working together for like six weeks. It was an ABC owned and operated the pilot. We did it. It was good, but it did not get picked up. For whatever reason, it did not get picked up. But I'd made some connections there, or at least people that remembered me, and so I got invited to come up and talk with somebody who was a vice president at ABC for a bunch of nonscripted shows. And so I just flew over and went up and it was just a general meeting and I'm in the lobby and there's a British woman that I'm not sitting right next to her because I'd be awkward because it was a pretty open lobby, but she was kind of Caddy corner and we were just sitting there. And the thing about La that I've learned is nothing is on time there because everybody's late to everything, and mostly it's because the traffic is terrible. And so we're both sitting in there and say, hey, how's it going, and she says it's play good. And we start talking back and forth a little bit. And I've often compared it to prison, where you don't really say why you're there. I mean, we didn't what are you in for? Like what you're meeting about. We're just two people talking in the lobby. And so we talked for about fifteen minutes or so, and they called her over the top and she went to her meeting and I waited about fifteen more minutes. Finally I was the last one in the room they called me. But I had a really great conversation with her, and we talked about where we're from, if she had kids. I didn't just personal life stuff. I didn't get anything too professional. And so I'm going into this guy who's a massive executive at Disney ABC and I walk in the room and she's in there and I was like, hey, I just met you, and she was like yeah. Turns out she was the executive producer of American Idol and so what it happened was the guy I was meeting with, whose name was Rob Mills. He is still there, he still runs it. Before that meeting with me, he was meeting with her about something else and they had mentioned that I was next. He was like, oh, I just met him, and he was like, oh, let's invite him in before you leave, and so I go, and because we had already had a conversation, we kind of knew each other. So it's all three of us in a room and I'm just going for like a general meeting to meet the guy, and she's there, and all of a sudden it turns into, hey, why don't you come on one episode of American Idol and you can help the contestants with what songs to pick, how to be interviewed stage presence. I was like, great, one episode, that was all I was supposed to do. Well that turned into four years on that show, and I'm convinced had I not said hi to her in that lobby and had that conversation with her in that lobby, none of that would have happened. We were just there, two human beings connecting over well waiting and by the time I ran into her again, she was able to make a decision to give me an opportunity. That's wild. So when Amy was telling that story about how just say hi to somebody, was like, man, this felt so familiar. It's because of that that happened with me. Just say hi to somebody, You never know. It's not even about being opportunistic. You maybe actually the one that can do something for somebody else once you find out what their needs once desires are. That's not sexual, although it can be. I will not judge you. Something that I've been doing on the show over the past probably ten weeks now, and something I'm considering not doing anymore, is something called Giving Tuesday. I'm still rolling with it because I like doing it and I like to kind of set the stage here with Giving Tuesday. It all started because anytime I would go into my dms on Instagram, it and I it was toxic, but I felt toxic. It was toxic, and it was people just saying bad things to me or about me, or about things that I was doing. So I just wouldn't go to my dms at all. But then I felt like I was really missing opportunities to talk with people. See real life feedback about what people liked or didn't like. But because it was so negative all the time, I thought, I'm just going to stay out of there. But I needed a way to not associate that with such awfulness. And so I was in therapy and I was just talking about generally how most of the feedback that comes to me negative ninety five percent of it, And what I have to do is separate in my head the reality of it's not ninety five percent of people hate me that are out there. It's that ninety five percent of anything anybody's writing on the Internet about something is just negative and it can wear on you. It wears on me at times, which is why I started not going into the comments or the dms unless it was Tuesdays, and that's where Giving Tuesday comes from. So the way for me to feel better about it was I wanted to have a good relationship with my dms, and so I said, hey, I want to help people out. So if you just DM me and you need some help, I got you. And so it happened week one and I helped out a few people, and I didn't give specifics about them, their name or anything. Although there were a couple of schools that I helped. I thought it was fun. Like one of them was a barbecue team. We helped send them to nationals. There was an archery team from a school from near my hometown, Magnico of Arkansas. And then I could help people out with light bills and help the girl get some leg braces. Also, I'm not even sure that the money's really going there, right, I don't follow up, but I don't feel like I need that, And I just wanted to create a positive place for me to give back. But it's very selfish because I wanted to create a positive place for me to go and exist and not feel terrible. So I don't do it because I'm going look at me. I do it because I selfishly don't want to feel bad when I go onto my DMS, and I have the resources to help people. So I'm doing this given Tuesday, and it kind of turned into a bit where I would read them not super specific, and then Lunchbox on my radio show would determine if they were worthy of the money that I was giving them, and almost none of them were, according to him. And then I had to make some rules about this because people were now getting mad at me for not choosing them. First of all, I don't see all of them. There's no way for me to see all of them. What I will do is I will go into my DMS and flick my thumb and hit it and open it, and if I read it and film moved by it, I help them. Now, there were certain things too, to make it easy. I would never chase them. So if they didn't put their VENMO or their cash app, because the only two things that I have, I could not just scroll on. But if they did, I would just go over and boom, one hundred bucks, four hundred bucks. I think the most I ever did was maybe six hundred dollars on one. But another rule that I had was I'm not going to follow up. And if I happened to get scammed, that's okay, because I know for sure I was scammed by one person, that's okay. But I'm not going to do any more than what the highest already did, because if I do thousands of dollars and I get scammed, I'll be pissed or I'll be hurt. But if I do ten and I get scammed by one person for three hundred dollars, I don't mind that if I get to help the other nine. So it's kind of the mental gymnastics I play to do that. But now it's getting to the point now where if I go into my DMS and I flick my thumb and I stop on one and I go into it, there's three messages talking about how I haven't picked them and I'm such a loser and they can't believe I haven't picked them. I'm going, all right, we're back at square one. Back at square one on Giving Tuesday. So I enjoy giving. For me generally, anytime I feel lost, there's really nothing I can go and buy or an experience that I can have that helps me not feel lost. What I can do when I feel lost that helps me kind of regain my bearings is to serve others because it is a great reminder to me of, hey, what I think is the problem some people would love to have. So that's really where Giving Tuesday was rooted in. I will continue to do it. I've had a couple people reach out to do stories on it, and that feels like I'm you and I think I have that relationship with it as well, like it's weird to even talk about on the show because I'm going, all right, it's another Giving Tuesday. Let's read through some of these. Now. Where I do find that the content is good and it is compelling is that whenever I'm talking about it and Amy and Lunchbox are debating if the money went to a good place or if I'm being scammed or if that's a dumb reason like that makes the bit funny, But that really isn't That really wasn't the idea. The idea was always going to talk about it so people would understand they could hit me up in my DMS and do it. But now, honestly, that's kind of getting toxic too. So that's where I am. I keep track of everything, and I've said no to the stories about it because that really feels like I'm using it for something other than what it is. So yeah, of this, I'm still rolling. I will only accept them in my Instagram though, because I don't want every media platform that I have for me to go into the messages and that's all it is. So it's mister Bobby Bones on Instagram. If you guys want to hop in, I'm not gonna do any more than like six hundred bucks. I'm probably down, I say down, I'm not down because I have it. I should say I've probably given or used to help probably around twenty thousand dollars right now. You know what, That's awesome and that's why I do it. I don't know that I'm gonna do it much longer, but I have a I'm trying to have a good relationship with social media because I have to be on it all the time. But that's where we are with Giving Tuesday as of right now. Only go to Instagram if you're gonna do that, hank Ty, the Bobby Cast will be right back.
Speaker 2: And we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 1: I did go and watch The Odyssey, which was really great. I didn't want it to be great. I wanted to come over here and go, man, that was so overhyped, because I loved talking about how things were overhyped. Is really great. And there's a story of the Trojan Horse, which I never read The Odyssey in high school. And you may have heard me talking on the show about how I can't believe that schools made kids read books. They never made me read a book. Our school wasn't the greatest place for higher learning. We were never told we had to read a single book. And while I was watching the movie, my wife was like, yeah, this is gonna happen, or has this happened yet, because she went to the bathroom and I go, did you look this up online or read spoiler? She goes, no, I read the freaking Odissey And so I said, they made you read that? Shecause, yeah, translated version, that's where all that came from. So never had to read a single book in high school. I did read it was a pretty good reader, but I didn't become someone who read for enjoyment until probably my twenties, and I like to read now. But I'm watching the Odyssey and there's the story of the Trojan Horse and they get inside This is not a spoiler, don't hit me with spoiler, but they get inside the horse because it's a gift, and they take the horse inside the walls, which they've been waiting for. The open the walls, they can have the war. But how they get in is that Trojan horse. And then once the horse is inside, they all come out of the horse and they attack and they win the war. And that's what's called the Trojan Horse. People that I have a friend want be careful about this. I have a friend that was a private investigator for a while, and he would trojan horse emails like to get into someone's system. And so a trojan horse can be used in context in many different ways. So I was thinking about the trojan horse, and honestly, I was thinking, how can I trojan horse? And folks like, how can I get in? I have an epic trojan horse story of my own already. I was twenty two years old in Little Rock, Arkansas, and another radio station have put stickers on my van. My radio station van like to put their stickers on my van, and I tend to get triggered and confrontational and competitive just like that. It is not one of my best qualities. But I was very upset about this, and so I thought, how can I up them at what they just did to us, which what they did to us was embarrass us by putting their radio station on our van. And so there was a guy that was kind of my sidekick at the time, who was my nighttime show part time sidekick named Gilligan. I named Gilligan because he just kind of looked like the guy from the TV show. But this Gilligain had a face like Bob Denver who played Gilligan, but big muscles and tattoos, so he was like motorcycle biker Gilligan. He was my age, so he was young. And I remember after they stick to the van, Galligan was up at the studio on the rock and I said, we're going in. And I knew that they had just turned a radio station in their building, because that company had I believe five radio stations. They had just turned one of them country. So we went back into the prize closet where they kept all kinds of stuff, as a closet is more like a room, and I remember they had a cowboy hat and like one of those Garth Brooks type shirts, and it was a little tight on Gilligan, but we got it on him. We put the cowboy hat on him, and I said, you go over to that radio station. You knock on the door, and this is eight forty five pm at night, and you say you work for the new country station. They're gonna believe you. You got a cowboy hat on and a cowboy shirt and say you lost your key, but you're new there. Well they just let you in. And so that's exactly what he did, and so I drove him over. He knocked. It had to be probably nine to forty five, closer to ten. That's when I got off the air. He knocked, and I remember just seeing him go up and someone out the door was like and he was like but and I remember they said yeah, come on in, and they opened the door and my trojan horse went into that freaking radio building where there were five radio stations, including the top forty station that it put stickers all over our van and I'm freaking out. My trojan horse is in the building. And so before he went over, we got online and there was a picture of inside their studios. Those studios were of Alice one oh seven point seven, the pop station in Little Rock. I worked at Q one hundred, the pop station in Little Rock. We were two battling pop stations. And I remember seeing the picture of the studio and showing him, Hey, when you get in, walk to this. This is where the phones are, this is where the buttons are. We were Mission Impossible style going through and we got there and he went into the bathroom and he stood on the toilet so no one could see his feet in case they did a walk around and see who was in the building, and he waited until everyone left the building except for the one person that was working the overnight shift. And since I dropped him off, I drove off and he called and he goes, all right, I'm end him in the bathroom. He said, cool, let me know once everyone's gone. It's about eleven o'clock. He said, all right, everyone's gone, I'm going in. And the plan was he was going to go in, call me from the radio station, phone lines, patch me through the board, turn me up, turn the music down halfway, not all the way, because that would have triggered an alarm and the engineer would have been having to drive up and fix it, or someone in the building would have got a call from the engineer going hey fix it. So turned me up, turned the music halfway down, locked the door on the way out, and then came and jumped in the car. That was the plan. It worked perfectly. I'm listening to the radio station, the one again that puts stickers on our van, and I see my phone call with the number for three three one oh seven seven. I'm like, oh, hello, hey, it's me. All right, you know what to do. Turns me up, pulls the music halfway down, and I'm feeling at this point like I might actually be on the air with the phone the cell phone half so I go into the phone. About two seconds go by on the radio, I hear like, oh my god, I cannot believe this is actually where he comes running out of the building, jumps in the car. Even right then I don't get on the air. We drive probably three minutes to get out of the parking lot. I have now a live microphone on the radio station that just puts stickers all over our van. I say, everybody on aly T one O seven point seven, you need to listen to the Bobby Bone Show on Q one hundred. These guys are such losers. They suck, and I'm just doing that right. They suck. Never listen to this station. And Gilligan goes, can I say something, this is where I messed up. I said, of course, you just did all that work, my trojan horse. I trained you perfectly, but man, did you not perform to a t And he grabs it and he goes you mother it says it you f it. I'm like, oh no, no, no, god no. Now I pull it back from him and I'm like, I like to apologize for that guy. We ens their names and I go on a little longer, but I know at this point it's now leveled up. We're in trouble. And so I hear and the music turns back and it was a Seleine Deond song. I remember it. I turned the fool music back up and we're like, we did it, yeah, And so we end up going to waffle house having a celebratory waffle break dinner and I get a call at seven in the morning the next day and it's my station general manager, not even my program director, the general manager, and he says he, I need you to come up to the building right now. And I'm confused as to why. I wonder what's going on that they would want me to come up at seven in the morning. Wow, Am I getting a prize highest night ratings in the history of Arkansas? What's happening?
Speaker 3: This is so neat.
Speaker 1: And I get there and his office is right outside the sales offices, and it's around eight am at the time. Just call me at seven and all the salespeople are coming in and out, and he doesn't close the door, but his office is right by all the sales cubicles and there's people milling around, and I'm a little bit confused as to why I'm there looking for trophy or kind of radio emmy or something. And he says, do you know it's a federal crime to take over someone's radio station? Those are public broadcast airways. I'm like, oh, this is why I'm here. Oh God. And I'm like oh, and he says, what you did can get you into so much FN trouble. I should f and fire you right here, right now for that. And he's just going on and he is really giving me the old what four And also everybody it can hear this, All the salespeople can hear it everywhere. And I'm fired for sure. I'm fired. I know I'm fired. At this point, I'm regret all of that. And I'm wondering if it's Gillian's fault though, because he said that word, not thinking no, it's my fault because I set the whole thing up and got in and broke into a radio station and that took over their airwaves. And then he says, shut the door. Oh so he knows the door's open, Well, what's he about to do to me with the door closed? And I shut the door. I'm a bit shell shocked, and that general manager sticks his hands out and he goes, that's awesome, and he shakes my hand. He said, never do that again. But that's the coolest thing I've ever seen. Went to all the range of emotions. Friends. In the end we got into no trouble because when they threatened to legally come after us, we said, you guys vandilize our property, okay, so we'll just come at you there destruction of property. And in the end nothing happened. That story ended up hitting what they would called trade magazine articles, trade internet articles, all inside the Traintive radio and it was seen by a guy named Jay Shannon in Austin, Texas, who said, Hey, I read that story about you. We need a night guy. Do you want to come to Austin. I've never been to Austin in my life. I took the job site unseen, moved to Austin, Texas, went to a Culverse, met Amy, met a British woman, did American idol here? I am Trojan Horse, though I had my own Trojan horse. Gel Agan. I don't know whatever happened to you, but if you're watching this You're the ultimate Trojan Horse, Buddy, And that was awesome. But the movie's good though.
Speaker 2: Hang tight, the Bobby Cast will be right back, and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 1: There was a story of Morgan Wallen and it's because the Internet went so hard on him that it became a story. There is this clip of Morgan Wallen in a Michigan jersey and I believe he's playing the Big House, possibly in Michigan. He's playing the Michigan Football Stadium, and it's about a four or five second clip and it's not a great clip of a live performance, but it's only a four or five second clip, and everyone's like, Oh, this is what's so bad. I can't believe this is the most popular person in music. But there was a reason the clip was only four or five seconds because it was only odd for four or five seconds. And you can watch any live artist for a two hour set and find four or five seconds where it's not aaaa plus. So it felt bad for him there because that's the Internet looking for a reason to beat someone up. You're not going to go to anybody's show where they're actually singing and record the whole thing and not be able to pull thirty sixty ninety seconds seventeen minutes of live audio from it and not go oh. So I felt bad for Morgan Wallen, and there was a reason it was only five seven twelve seconds song is because that's all they could find that maybe wasn't the absolute best and he was live singing, so there was no context around it. So what I would say with this is unless people have context around what they're saying, don't believe anything on the internet. And there was a reason that clip was only seven seconds, twelve seconds whatever it was, because I'm telling you, if it was bad for a whole song and they had it posted the whole song, but it wasn't. I've seen so many clips. I've been to a wall and show. He's a good live performer, and that went super viral, and it kind of felt bad for him, But then again, he's making a million bucks a night doing these stadiums, and I stopped feeling bad for him. But just generally, the lesson here is unless you see extended versions of what people are talking about or with context, don't believe anything you see on the internet. And if you saw the Morganwallan clip, just know they had to dig through a two hour show to find seven seconds, because I'm telling you, if there would have been more audio that wasn't amazing, they would have posted that as well. That's all. That's my one quick thing defending Morgan Wallen. He does not need me defending him. I did get a bunch of questions asking why I did not go to Dancing with the Stars Con DWTS Con, which was the first ever convention that they had. I ain't get invited. I might have been one of the only champions to not be invited. I did not get invited, so I didn't go. Why did I not get invited? I don't know. They tend to not invite me to those things because I think I was so different than everybody else on that show. And I don't want to clip this part of it right here, but I have a perfect troll coming up, and I'm only going to leave this in the long form video, and I'm only going to leave this in the form audio. I have the perfect troll. Not mean, I'm not gonna be mean to anybody, but it's gonna be a little prank. It's gonna make the news, and it is my response to not getting invited to Dancing with the Stars CON, DWTS CON or just generally, you know, not being welcome back with open arms. I get it. I was different than everybody else. I get it. They had to change rules after I went on the show. But I didn't do anything wrong. So just so you guys know, when you see it, don't be one of those annoying people will be like, oh no, this is a trick he's doing. Play along with the joke. I didn't want to say what it's going to be, but I got something so good that I know is gonna make headlines and it's not gonna make anybody look bad because I'm not a subscriber to that. But it's going to be hilarious and we can live in it together. Only we know about this, and that's the end of this episode, So thank you for watching. In the Weeds, I always go into the comments to find out what you guys want me to talk about next. So in the comments, ask your questions. It can be something so granular that you would think I would never answer the question. I'd be happy to stay weedy. If you put that in the comments. I know you got to the very end of the episode. So I want you to stay weedy. Everybody stay weedy. And we thought about making shirts, except people are gonna think it's about weed, and so I decided against that. I didn't really have long term aspirations for In the Weeds, or maybe I wouldn't have called it in the Weeds because people do sometimes think it's some sort of marijuana reference. The original idea for the show is called all about that Pot. It was like in the Pot and in the Kettle, but that would it is? Okay, that's it. Thank you guys for watching In the Weeds and I will see you next time. Remember, stay weedy, friends, tight The Bobby Cast will be right back and we're back on the Bobby Cast. Hey, guys, I wanted to highlight a podcast on the Nashville Podcast Network called Get Real with Caroline Hobby and Caroline's awesome. She had a record deal, she was on Amazing Race a couple of times. She's the wife of someone in a pretty famous band. She really understands what's happening in Nashville, and she has a very interesting perspective. And in this episode of our show called Get Real, she talked with Amy Grant about crossing over from Christian to pop, having a successful marriage with Vince Gill and a whole bunch more and if you like this show, it'd be great if you subscribe to it. Get Real with Caroline Hobby. So here we go. This is with Amy Grant from that.
Speaker 3: Episode when you had Heart Motion become this huge crossover pop album. Was that scary for you to become a pop artist after you had been so rooted in country and Christian? Was that a scary moment to now become a pop icon? Was that or was it just feel natural?
Speaker 4: I don't think I didn't have an aerial view, you know. I remember one time, the only time that I ever felt kind of the jolt of what is of the energy was going into I can't even remember the name of the donut shop right next to Hillsborough High School.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, Donut Den, the doughnut Den, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was just going in to get an apple fritter. I love the apple fritters anyway, and there were some high school girls and they came out and we were just face to face, and they just screamed right in my face. I was like, Hi, well that was weird. But I don't you know, at the time, it was an unobserved time and so all of that, you know, the eighties nineties, Uh, everybody was just doing what they love, working hard. You know, I didn't. I was not at somebody's dinner table if they had an opinion about it. You know, I was at my dinner table. And and I and really, I just feel like I want to be responsible with the platform that I've been given. And so with the popularity of different songs, I felt that platform increase. But every every curve in life, there's an up and there's a down. And so it's just like I remember somebody said to me early on, they said, Hey, just remember gracious, gracious on the way up, gracious on the way down. And Nashville is such a great creative community. It's the song writers, our mentors.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I just feel like, I don't know this. I'm so glad to have had my unique life experience. Everybody's life experience is unique, but I love that it happened in the context of Nashville because this is a unique towns. There's so much great education, the world of medicine is alive and well, entertainment and philanthropy. And you know, when I was in the eighth grade. My school ended in the eighth grade, and our speaker for the closing exercises was Minie Pearl, and you know, I, I guess I are Nashville is not as big then, but I remember her just talking to us. You know, we were thirteen fourteen, and I just remember talking to us so respectfully. And then shortly it wasn't too many years, and then suddenly I was just on the very beginning of my musical journey. But anytime I did anything public, I would get a note from her. I wish I'd saved him. Always on Peach stationery, I saw you just I'm so proud of you. Good job. And then you know, I sang at her funeral. It was just like, you know, like the seasons just keep turning and we like, I'm looking at you, going go for it and yeah, And I had so many people pour into me, and now I get to do that to the capacity that I.
Speaker 1: Have, and.
Speaker 4: I don't know, it feels really beautiful. Even the hard stuff feels beautiful.
Speaker 3: And I love the cover of your new album, The Meet It Remains, because I feel like it's a tapestry of your life. I feel like it's like a collage. What is a clage like of all different parts of you? I think that's really powerful. Okay, last couple questions, What is the secret to you invinces this twenty five year plus marriage, because you guys just seem so peaceful and effortless together.
Speaker 4: Our daughter Karina says, I want a relationship like that, and I go, well, we've been in the rock tumbler a long time.
Speaker 1: You know. I think.
Speaker 4: We would both laugh and say we spend so much time at work that you know, we don't when we see each other again, it's like hi, So there's not time for familiarity to breed contempt. But I love I just love living life him. And I think because we married, you know, I was turning forty. I was thirty nine when we married, and so my mother's view of women, he got five and a half of my good years. But I think we we had to come to the table with so much respect for the life the other person had built and so and we're very different as people.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 4: You know, I grew up in a family that went to church every time the doors opened, and he did not. And so you know, there are times in our journey together that we've been church goers, and there are times in our journey that we've just had quiet Sunday mornings. And I think I've learned a lot from him in what way?
Speaker 3: In what way do you think the most?
Speaker 4: He always lead with kindness, and I wanted always to talk through everything. Let's hash it out, let's and when, especially when he was younger, he had he had a pretty good temper, and I learned he just wanted space. And I don't know where we heard the phrase, but we have both known the phrase for a long time. I never regretted anything. I didn't say, oh, that's so good. Yeah, but every couple is unique, you know. We we just enjoy being in the same space. But like I love going outside, I love and that's not his jam. You know, he wants to be in air conditioning. He doesn't want a sporting event unobserved. And so during COVID, I mean, we do we do some things together, but we do a lot of things separately. And it just worked for us.
Speaker 3: So I always wrap up with leave your light. But before I do that, I just would love to know your thought. What is success to you from someone who has truly been at the highest level you can be in music at one point in time, the largest contemporary Christian contemporary music artists of all time.
Speaker 4: You've won six plus Grammys. That right, that was all a long time ago.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying, you have been on the top of the mountain. You have been all up and down the roads in between. You know, you've lived it all. What is success to you?
Speaker 4: Well, that's a big question. I mean, the only thing we have is the day in front of us. And I'm reminded of Mary Chapman, who was my first mother in law. Mary and Terry moved from Texas or Oklahoma to come help us with two young kids. When heart and Motion was had feel like I was drinking out of a fire hose. I mean, and We're at the coffee pot one morning and I said, Mary, I don't think I've prayed a succinct prayer in two weeks. I'm doing overseas interviews in the middle of the night. I am exhausted, and I had two young kids. And she said, oh, Amy, it just takes one good prayer, just one prayer. And I said, well, that's sort of contrary to all of my church guilts. But tell me what's that one good prayer? And she said, Amy, just every day, say Lord, lead me today to those I need and to those that need me. And let's something I do have eternal significance. She said, You'll never know what that is, but she said, just pray that prayer. And I feel like so I've prayed that prayer for over thirty years and I'm in my fourth decade of praying that prayer. And so to me to have a moment where you are connected as a human, with yourself, with the world around you, with the one who made you, and say, what does today hold? And I'm going to be in it and trust, like a milkweed in the wind, that you're going to land where you need to land.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 2: Share this episode with a friend because they don't pay to advertise us.