Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: That it means.
Speaker 3: Love.
Speaker 4: In the Daily Show, I'm Sarah Silverman and I am back for yet another night of hosting. It's almost like life is this repetitious cycle from which only death can truly release us.
Speaker 5: But anyway, who's ready for some fun? Let's get ready?
Speaker 4: All right, let's get right to it. The big news. There was an election yesterday. Maybe you forgot about it, and apparently so did some Republicans because Democrats.
Speaker 5: Got almost everything they wanted.
Speaker 6: Overnowed Democrats on a winning street, scoring victories in Ohio, Kentucky, and Virginia. In deep red Kentucky, Trump backed candidate Republican Daniel Cameron tried to take down Democratic Governor Andy Basheer by linking him to Biden, but it didn't work.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Kentucky.
Speaker 7: And in Virginia, a title way for Democrats, who held on to their state Senate majority and took control of the House of Delegates too, a dramatic rebuke of Republican Governor Glenn Youngkin. And in Philadelphia, history was made Democrat Cherrell Parker becoming the first female mayor in the City of Brotherly Love.
Speaker 8: And now to the remarkable story of a man who was imprisoned for years for a crime he did not commit, use of salam, known as one of the Exonerated Five, has been elected to.
Speaker 5: New York City Council after running on a The beautiful thing about my story is that I was counted out.
Speaker 1: I was one of those who was pushed into the margins of life. And now we're here right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of the guys who is falsely accused of attacking a Central Park jogger and who Donald Trump said should get the death penalty is now a city councilman. He went from having his life threatened by Trump to being an elected representative.
Speaker 5: He's like a reverse Mike Pence.
Speaker 4: And to this man who has overcome so much and still has the selflessness and the strength of character to turn around and serve this city that falsely imprisoned him, I just want to say, when are you going to do something about the jackhammering my TAXI pay your salary, body picked the subways?
Speaker 5: Well yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Democrats were the big winners last night, which means all those human sacrifices were worth it. Shout out to my fellow Illuminati members, Guys, we did it. Democrats are feeling real good after the results rolled in. I got an email from Nancy Pelosi that wasn't even asking for money. It just said, Sarah, I am so wet right now. Now, elections aren't only about changing which butts are taking up which seats in various fancy rooms. People also get to vote directly on issues that are important to them.
Speaker 7: Clearly, the biggest takeaway from last night abortion rights again boosting Democrats in key races in both red and blue states, abortion.
Speaker 9: Access and the law of the land.
Speaker 10: In Ohio, in one of the country's most watched swing state races, Ohio's voting to guarantee abortion access enshrotting that right into the state's constitution, Ohio becoming the seventh state to vote to protect abortion rights since the Supreme Court's ruling last year overturning bro v.
Speaker 7: Wade.
Speaker 11: You put very sexy things like abortion and marijuana on the ballot, and a lot of young people come out and.
Speaker 4: Vote sexy issues like abortion.
Speaker 5: What are his porn search words? The fact is abortion.
Speaker 4: Limits have become such a losing issue that some conservatives have reportedly decided the problem isn't pro life policies, but the phrase pro life. They're looking to rebrand it, but personally, I think they should be forced to carry this phrase to term. And for more on this conundrum and the pro life movement, let's go live to the Ohio State House with Grace Koolinschmidt.
Speaker 5: Hello, Grace.
Speaker 4: The pro life movement has a real problem here, even in red states. Voters don't like being told what to do with their bodies.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's as much of a body control saying as it is a branding problem.
Speaker 5: I mean, pro life yuck. Have you seen life? It's gross so much mucus.
Speaker 3: That's why it needs a fun new term that doesn't have all the baggage. Like instead of pro life, they could go with pro parents or pro girl power or prosendea.
Speaker 5: What else is popular?
Speaker 3: I know pro choice people seem to love that.
Speaker 4: Term, Grace, I think that's one's already taken.
Speaker 5: Well, that would like cause a lot of confusion, right, yeah, it would what a goof.
Speaker 3: That's why they're also considering slogans that are totally unrelated to abortion but will naturally appeal to women, Like how about pro shopping? You know how those ladies are, Sarah? That is such a cheap appeal. Women are not stupid, No, they're not. They're probably not.
Speaker 5: That's why the pro.
Speaker 3: Life movement should consider brand sponsorships, like how sports teams do with stadiums. Maybe people will like the fetal heartbeat law if it's now the Smoothie King fetal heartbeat law?
Speaker 4: Do you love smoothies? Stale voters don't like to be tricked. They deserve honesty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great honesty.
Speaker 12: We're spitfalling out.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 3: What if pro lifers were just totally honest. Their slogans can be just straight up your body, our choice or Handmaid's tale.
Speaker 4: Let's try it, Grace, None of that is going to work. People in this country don't want to ban abortion period.
Speaker 3: No, it's about the branding. They just haven't figured out the right one yet. But I'm not worried. Republicans are the party of middle aged white guys who wear socks during sex. They know how to appeal to women.
Speaker 4: Right, Grace, coolin shmid everybody?
Speaker 13: Why I am seeing AI?
Speaker 4: So don't go away show. Let's talk about technology.
Speaker 5: It's great.
Speaker 4: It mostly makes life easier for humans, and in exchange, we humans try our best to not drop it into the toilet. But right now, the technology we're talking about is artificial intelligence. Since it came into our lives, we've all been trying to grapple with its larger impact. We're seeing kids use it to cheat in school. We're seeing may partners use it for breakups. Chat gpt is even able to pass the legal bar exam, meaning it'll be the first AI to develop an addiction to cocaine.
Speaker 5: But it might be a good.
Speaker 4: Thing that chat gpt could be a lawyer because a lot of people are taking its ass to court.
Speaker 13: This morning a game of Thrones erupting over the rights to some of the most popular works in the world.
Speaker 5: George R. R.
Speaker 13: Martin and more than a dozen other authors now suing open Ai, creator of chat gpt, Martin joining forces with authors like Jody Pcoe, John Grisham, Ellen Hildebrand, Michael Connolly, and.
Speaker 5: David Baldacci to take on the AI giant.
Speaker 9: And comedian Sarah Silverman is suing open ai and Meta. She claims the company's developed artificial intelligence tools that freely copied her memoir Bedwetter without permission.
Speaker 4: That's right, mother, stand writing luminaries like myself and George R. R.
Speaker 5: Martin R R.
Speaker 4: Suing AI, and I'll tell you why in another installment of long story short. For as long as we have had civilization, we've also had art. For over forty thousand years, artists have had a sacred creative process. They sit down to ruminate on the human condition. They pace and they struggle to focus. They get up to get a snack, maybe take a nap. Then they work a bit more, so they reward themselves by scrolling Instagram on the toilet for so long they shit again.
Speaker 5: Then they finally get something.
Speaker 4: On the page, and when they ask their partner for feedback, they get mad when it isn't what they wanted to hear because their partner doesn't get me. Why do I even ask you? You're supposed to support me. Then eventually they buckle down, really do the work, and finally voila tub thumping. But now generative AI can eliminate that entire creative process in a matter of seconds.
Speaker 12: Dolly two is artificial intelligence software that can turn anything new type into art in any style. Portraits of a panda in the style of Renoir and.
Speaker 11: Boom.
Speaker 1: While Game of Thrones author George R. Martin has had fans waiting years for his next novels. One programmer used chat GPT to generate the longer waited installments in mere minutes.
Speaker 4: A programmer generated his own shitty ending to Game of Thrones. Why waste your time, HBO already did.
Speaker 5: That for you. Here's the thing.
Speaker 4: Well, AI has helped open many avenues for new works.
Speaker 5: There's just one problem. They're not new works.
Speaker 4: What these programs do is scrape text and images from existing works and feed it into their system in order to create copycats. So when someone wanted to know what a modern Mona Lisa would look like, they just typed it into an AI program and seconds later it pumped out this.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: We used this ultra powerful technological tool to put titties on the Mona Lisa congrat Society.
Speaker 5: We did it.
Speaker 4: And for the record, if we're gonna add sweater puppies to a Da Vinci painting, it should have been the last supper.
Speaker 5: I mean, look at them. Who's gonna crucify these melons? Anyway?
Speaker 4: These programs are not just pumping out busty, derivative works of art, they're also printing money. Chat GPT is on track to make a billion dollars just this year alone, which is great for them. But the problem is that these companies are using artists work without consent or credit or payment. And I've had first hand experience with this theft because one of the one hundred thousand books used to train chat GPT was my book The Bedwetter, available wherever books. And by the way, that book is about my actual life, my jokes, my experiences, my pain, and chat GPT stole all of it and didn't even have the courtesy to give me Mona Lisa Hits. I haven't seen that hard work, and surprisingly many of the owners of these AI companies don't seem to be in a giant rush to unpack the moral implications.
Speaker 11: I bought this for seventy nine dollars thinking it was the work of a talented artist, but a robot made it AI software called mid Journey, created by David Hols. How do you respond to the idea that this is somehow a counterfeit form of artistic expressions?
Speaker 14: Well, we're not really selling art where just we have this community that's playing with this technology, like the arch Comuede already has issues at plagiaris. I don't really want to be involved in that.
Speaker 11: I think, I think you might be.
Speaker 5: I might maybe you know what you made?
Speaker 4: Oh no, you guys aren't going to use the atomic bomb I made to hurt people?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 4: When did humanity's villains start looking like such beta cooks.
Speaker 5: I mean, say what you want about.
Speaker 4: Genghis Khan, but at least he looks like his stomach could handle milk.
Speaker 5: And this is precisely.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you, This is precisely why you are seeing artists filing lawsuits to protect not only their creative work but the work of future artists. And just to be clear, I'm not looking to shut down AI or turn the clock back. I just want guardrails so that AI fairly compensates the people whose work comprises its entire brain. This is not anything new. Technological advancements will always require regulation. For example, when technology brought us turntables and music sampling, it helped launch the genre of rap music and brought us liric wizards like Biggie and Tupac and Chet Hanks. But back when it started, it wasn't clear whether sampling was an innovative art form or stealing. But eventually legal guardrails were put in place that helped set how technology could be used to create art and compensate those whose previous works were being used. It's not perfect, but both sides can get what they want. It's why every time you listen to the jay Z song Hard Knike Life, those kids from Annie get money so they don't have to live in an orphanage anymore, and everybody winnings. So long story short, I'm not saying we should destroy these AI models. I'm just saying we also need rules to protect artists and their work, and I'm confident we can find a way through this because artists are resilient. We get knocked down, but we get up again. You're never going to keep us down. When we come back, the incredible Margo Price.
Speaker 5: Will be joining now with Welcome back to the n Show.
Speaker 4: My guest tonight is a Grammy nominated singer, songwriter and author. She's here to talk about her latest album, Strays, and her memoir Maybe We'll Make It.
Speaker 5: Please welcome Margot Price.
Speaker 4: Hello, So, oh my god, I thought my phone alarm was on, but it was the music from here. Sorry, my edibles are kicking. It happened to me on So your album is about substance abuse, it's about self image, it's about abortion rights, and you wrote it on mushrooms?
Speaker 5: Was that a revelation and songwriting? Tell me spill it was?
Speaker 15: I really wanted to shake things up, you know. I kind of got my start with this old school country album. It was called Midwest Farmer's Daughter and Jack White put it out and things kindly kind of finally turned around for me. But yeah, with this album, I just wanted to be able to go out there and not be pigeonholed.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the psilocybin opened your brain did what I'm like so into this.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's been pretty transformative for me. The first time I had a psychedelic trip, I was twenty years old, and I dropped out of college and.
Speaker 5: Moved to Nashville.
Speaker 15: Highly suggested for anybody who doesn't want to get into a student loan debt. Then yeah, Then the next time I took it, I wrote this album. And then the third time that I took it, I decided to quit drinking alcohol, which had really been a challenge for me. And it's kind of after I started reading about Bill Wilson and the work he did with AA and he initially had a psychedelic experience on a plant called belladonna, and they were actually at the very beginning moments of AA. They were giving people asset and it was curing their alcoholism. So I don't know if you're feeling stuck with anything.
Speaker 4: I will say, in my early twenties, ecstasy changed my life.
Speaker 15: Yeah, MDNA is absolutely incredible for compassion as well.
Speaker 4: And you know you're honest and you walk the wop. You've been really vocal about gun control, which is I think the number one killer of children in this country. And boy, you even took a detour on the road to vote in Nashville for the mayor.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 15: I was out on tour and it was just a really important election for Nashville, and so I took off at ten o'clock at night, got to Nashville at three in the morning, woke up at nine, voted, and then drove back and played a show.
Speaker 5: And what is it like.
Speaker 4: Being a liberal in a kind of a country world.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean I definitely don't get invited to all the parties, but that's okay. Their parties suck, And yeah, I think it's been I like pushing boundaries. I like pushing my limits. I think that if we can have conversations. We live in such polarizing times, and really, if we could all realize that we're more like than we think and began to talk about these things. I want to destigmatize psychedelics. Uh, just thoughts on gun control. I think that the only way to do that is by talking about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree, we not different.
Speaker 4: I mean I've almost never disliked someone I've actually met face to face.
Speaker 5: That's right, that's right. Yeah, you have a song called light Me Up.
Speaker 4: Why don't you explain to the audience what it's about, Margo?
Speaker 15: Okay, Well, this song was one that we wrote the day after we took a God's Toe of mushrooms. And you know, I was just listening to a lot of songs in the country music world and even in the Americana world, and I just wasn't hearing a lot of songs about the female orgasm, and I thought we needed to change that. So it's, uh, yeah, it's just a liberating song about sex and women's pleasure.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you lived in.
Speaker 15: Such a time, and I mean I live in a place where, you know, abortion rights and women's bodies are just they're not our own and I'm here to show up and.
Speaker 5: Fight for I love it.
Speaker 4: He wrote this book, maybe we'll make it. And what was your approach to writing a book. Is there are there any similarities to how you approached songwriting.
Speaker 5: Was it a completely different daunting task?
Speaker 15: It was daunting, and I know, you know as well laying it all out there. I started writing it when I found myself pregnant with my daughter, Ramona, and I was just at home and I couldn't tour. And through the process it was also kind of when I decided to give up drinking. Because I was reading everything from this different place, I was able to give myself a little bit more compassion as I was reading things back. But it was scared to put it all out there. You know, it's everybody I've slept with, all the drug I've ever done, so sorry Grandma.
Speaker 4: So it's interesting because you know, having written a book, you know, a memoir, it's you kind of have to really be a detective in your own life, and you realize that would that's really good just for everybody to do, you know, because you learned so much from it and you're I think your editor read it and said, gee it it feels like Whiskey is the main character of this book.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, definitely. She said that that was like my my co star, and it's true. I mean I used to drink harder than anybody, and that was just kind of the way that I lived and it was like a badge of honor and it was kind of going through that whole time. It's been almost three years now and it's just been completely transformative to give it up and.
Speaker 5: Just have all this extra everybody again. I mean I still have drugs. Yeah, I still do drug rubs. Yeah yeah, drug. I still smoke weed.
Speaker 4: I love do a weird person, you know, like more mind expanding, but I cannot be around drunk people.
Speaker 15: Yeah, they're annoying.
Speaker 5: It turns out they're minded insufferable.
Speaker 4: Hold on, I got oh wow, you're performing your song Lydia tonight, which I'm so excited about and it's about abortion and you wrote it before Roe was overturned. So what inspired that?
Speaker 15: I was walking around in this town in Canada that was there was just like a lot of methadone clinics, a lot of people that were really struggling, and so I initially wrote it then, and I was kind of scared of the song. I played it for a couple of my friends and one of them said, man, that that song just really sucks the air out of the room and it doesn't rhyme, and it's like six minutes. So I knew that this was the perfect place to come do a song about a hooker contemplating an abortion.
Speaker 4: Strays and Strays Too are a vail.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast now