Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Thursday, August twentieth, and he says he broke no rules and broke no laws, even though he admitted to making mistakes in his marriage. But this congressman now is being accused of sexual assault, which yes, is against the rules and against the law. And with that, welcome to this episode of amy and TJ.
Speaker 2: Rope.
Speaker 1: Does this feel like this escalated quickly?
Speaker 2: It absolutely has escalated, And I do believe it feels like it escalated based off of Jimmy Gomez's own statement, because he made it very clear in his initial statement. It will remind everybody what he said. But this all was bubbling up this week, and he responded by yes, saying he made mistakes outside of his marriage, but he insisted that any incidents where those mistakes occurred were consensual and not in violation of House ethics rules.
Speaker 1: As his statement, he was very particular about putting that in there. We were talking somewhere earlier, Robes, and I said, anytime you have to defend yourself and you have to say my contact with that woman was consensual, you're probably in trouble. And so Robes. Initially this was Robes thought to be and at least the way he addressed it was at was as something is okay, I stepped out. I did something wrong and I shouldn't have done. I was disloyal to my wife bad enough. But Roges, we're talking about criminal behavior. Is the accusation now.
Speaker 2: Right, because we all believed this stemmed from a tabloid report back in April that showed Gomez kissing a staffer, not one of his staff members, but a House congressional staff member. And in the laws, there is a bit of a loophole. Yes, a congressman or a congressman cannot have any sort of relationship ship with a member of his or her own staff. But it doesn't say anything about having a relationship.
Speaker 3: With another congressman or woman's staff. That's a weird loophole. They're working to close that loophole.
Speaker 1: That's nuts.
Speaker 2: Obviously, that's something that needs to be done, but it's not currently in place. But honestly, I believed you believed. It kind of seemed like, yeah, he got messy, he had an affair with someone who works on Capitol Hill.
Speaker 3: His wife found out.
Speaker 2: Now we're all finding out, and he's claiming, go ahead, investigate. I welcome this because the only mistake I made, the only person I wronged was my wife.
Speaker 1: He seemed to his defense, seemed to be the technicality. It seemed to be the loophole. And okay, that's a tough one. That's a tough defense, Robes.
Speaker 3: But now it gets tougher.
Speaker 1: But okay, but that one was Robes. We are now this is something else, completely different, Robes. This is now put him in that camp of unwanted and potential And so we don't know yet, Robes. What we're talking about. Sexual assault has a range that can read to that can go from unwanted touching of.
Speaker 3: Someone to rape.
Speaker 2: Absolutely that it runs the gamut, and it's a very wide margin. And it does appear that this woman's attorneys and this woman were angered by Gomez's statement, and they are now directly refuting his assertion that any incident was consensual. And we think we're talking about the same woman because look, CNN is reporting that the House Ethics Committee, in doing and conducting this investigation, have learned of other allegations of sexual misconduct against Gomez that it's now looking into as well. So we don't know if these are all from the same woman or if these are separate allegations from different women, it looks like it could be any of the above.
Speaker 1: At this point, Oh, here we go again. Are these and that's very important. Are these separate incidents dealing with the same woman or not? Are you talking about potentially multiple women ropes? Here we go again. Possibly Romees. It's different sexual harassment, wrong comments, comment about a woman's appearance, things like that around the office, sexual harassment, Obviously that's inappropriate. But Rome, when you're talking about crime assault.
Speaker 3: That's completely different.
Speaker 2: And in terms of whether or not there is more than one woman who is making what claims like this, the accusers attorney's statement kind of makes it seem like she's not the only one. So it begins with, we represent one of the women who was interviewed by the House Committee on Ethics about her experience of sexual harassment and assault by Representative Jimmy Gomez.
Speaker 1: Okay, that doesn't mean that they all are making an accusation, correct, but he phrased it intentionally that way.
Speaker 2: It made it seem like there is more than one woman, and there could be.
Speaker 3: There could be, but we don't know.
Speaker 2: The statement goes on to say, contrary to Representative Gomez's assertion in his statement his actions were not consensual in nature with respect to our client, We fully expect that the House Committee on Ethics will come to the same conclusion in its investigation. And this is where they really come out swinging. This is just the latest example of brazen sexual misconduct by a member of Congress. Congress must act to reign in its members who seem to believe that praying on young women working on Capitol Hill is one of the perks of their job. We will continue to work with our client and with the House Committee on Ethics to ensure there is accountability for Representative Gomez and a safe path for any other survivors to come forward and share their experiences.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Look, it's there's a he said, and she said, and he said, and she's said, and they could be multiple. We don't know what do you do at this point. We have seen this. I can recall the particular case Robes, but where something and a guy being accused. Something he said in his reaction publicly caused the other side to go, oh, are you kidding me? Yes, And it felt like it.
Speaker 2: Was Swallowell was that this is a very common theme in an effort to defend themselves. Oftentimes you'll hear an accused man cop to something but still place the shared responsibility for what happened on the woman. And that is when you will just bring the ire of those women to the to the forefront, because they're like, no, we will not accept you misleading or misrepresenting what happened. Now we're going to speak out. Look, I would most women do not enjoy this process, do not want to be named, do not want to be in the center and in the middle of this, to have their name dragged through the mud, to have their private sexual experiences examined and used against them. This is not a comfortable position to be in as a woman. So sometimes it does take getting really pissed off before you actually are willing to put yourself into the line of fire to call someone like this out.
Speaker 1: And you, I mean, just imagine, we don't know what happened. He is innocent man, he hasn't been convicted of anything at this point, but probably just imagine how she might have felt if her experience is what it is now presumed to be right, something non consensual, something that she was assaulted. We don't know how far that went. Imagine if that was her experience, and to have a guy come out say publicly, nationally this big headlines that he had a consensual experience with somebody, that is, I mean, that impugnes her reputation, right, He is suggesting that she is willing to do this with a married man, a powerful man, and so Rose yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And a consensual experience and a mistake.
Speaker 2: He only referred to it as mistakes outside my marriage. That was as close as he came to acknowledging that he did anything wrong, that it was solely a personal, private mistake that he made. And if that was not her experience, and if she remembers it very differently, well she is certainly speaking out now. And to think that it appears the committee, the Ethics Committee, has already heard from this woman. They've taken her statements down, and if CNN's sources are correct, they're saying some of what she said led to other inquiries. And now this is a much bigger situation than it began.
Speaker 1: Well, we only heard, right, didn't They only announce on Monday that they were doing an investigation, And here we are on Thursday. This woman has already been interviewed.
Speaker 3: They're moving quickly.
Speaker 1: They're busy these days.
Speaker 2: They Oh my goodness, they certainly are. So when we come back, we're going to talk about just how swiftly things have moved and what Democrats are saying about Gomez, both men and women who are actually speaking out before we even get any of the results of the committee's investigation. Welcome back everyone to Amy and TJ. There is a growing cry of folks saying that they want the House Ethics Committee to come out with their conclusions as quickly as possible about these recent and latest sexual assault allegations against Congressmen Gomez, coming from an unnamed woman. Her attorneys have been speaking out and they've made it very clear this was not consensual according to their client, and they did discribe I bit a sexual harassment and assault. And with that, we're now hearing from female lawmakers on both sides of the aisle, Democrats and Republicans calling for them the committee to speed up its investigation ahead of the midterms.
Speaker 3: They want to know.
Speaker 2: What's up before we get closer to this vote and the ever important balance of power. I mean, this is all timing out in the worst of ways for some of these lawmakers because, yeah, their reelection campaign doesn't just matter to them personally, it matters to their party collectively.
Speaker 1: The district is in the LA area, right, usually a solidly Democratic district. What happens, I don't know what the rules might be if he has to come off with the ballot. I think at this point Roe, they reach a point where the name has to stay on. What would their options be? I do not know. But Jromes, what do you do with this?
Speaker 2: Gi?
Speaker 1: What do you do with this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The Democratic Women's Caucus actually called on the committee to release the status of their investigation before the sixty day blackout period ahead of election day.
Speaker 3: That's what they're asking for specifically.
Speaker 2: And we also heard from the top three Democratic lawmakers in the House about these latest escalated or at least escalating allegations, Hakeem Jeffries, Catherine Clark, Pete Aguilar.
Speaker 3: This was their joint statement.
Speaker 2: The allegations of misconduct are serious and disturbing. We encourage the committee to conduct a thorough and swift investigation.
Speaker 3: Everyone keeps using the word swift.
Speaker 2: They want to figure this out as soon as possible so they can figure out what they're gonna do leading into the midterms. And when we say leading into the midrms, I mean it's we're talking what now now, like that sixty day mark is coming up.
Speaker 1: This is incredible, This is happening and keeps happening. Bro, how many races have been We're still waiting to see what happens with Max Miller, what he might have and the other one we're talking about, right, did you remember that long twenty minute stream or whatever he had in the video he put out and his wife or ex wife and the attorney put out some like are you kidding and responded to it. They are almost triggering their alleged victims by putting out these statements that caused them to now retaliate and say stuff to women robes who seem to have no desire actually to be caught up in some public back and forth.
Speaker 2: And yet here we go, Right, we saw what happened in Maine. But then you've got Tony Gonzalez, You've got Chuck Edwards, Max Miller, who stayed in the race, as you mentioned, of course Eric Swalwell running for governor. This has just been like month after month after month of scandal after scandal after scandal and to remind you, I do have Gomez's original statement where he he basically just says I didn't do anything wrong other than to what I did to my marriage. But he just said I made personal mistakes outside my marriage. Although my actions were consensual in nature and haven't violated the law or house ethics rules, that doesn't diminish the impact that these mistakes have made on those I care about the most. I take full responsibility and have committed myself to working through the pain privately with my wife and family. So he is only admitting to personal mistakes with his family. He is not admitting to doing anything illegal criminal to another woman, and certainly he's not admitting to doing anything that would jeopardize his position in the house.
Speaker 1: Why do we do rugues?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 1: The innocent until proven guilty we always have to repeat, We always have to say that. But where this goes, don't know who this woman is, don't know if there's someone else, but we have to be don't and we have to try to in these moments where always be fair to everybody, be fair or also and just respectful as the best we can hope for in these matters. But this is just another one and hopefully they get it work out. This Ethics Committee, which is.
Speaker 3: Busy, as you mentioned, the recess right now, Yes, untild and that's the thing.
Speaker 2: They're on recess I believe until almost mid September. And so now you've got all of these folks asking for them to hurry up and get this over with and be quick and swift about their investigation, but not really sure when that's actually going to begin. And look, the attorney's also made a point to say that their client showed real courage in telling the committee about her experience. I mean, this woman sat in front of the House Ethics Committee on Capitol Hill and she was sworn in and she testified to sexual assault allegations against Congressman Gomez. That's as serious as it gets. And just wonder if this now would go to another level.
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 2: The rules are, but this was fairly recent and if she is claiming that this was a non consensual assault, this would be a matter that police, I would imagine, would get involved with.
Speaker 3: We've seen this happen in Eric Swalwell's case.
Speaker 2: First the allegations are made, they're dealt with politically, and then the police open up their own investigation and it seems like that might be the next step here.
Speaker 1: Wow, we have another member of Congress under possible investigation for sexual assault. Criminal investigation.
Speaker 2: We shall see. We will, of course, keep our eye on this developing story. We always appreciate you listening to us. Everyone. I made me roback alongside TJ.
Speaker 3: Holmes. We'll talk soon.