Speaker 1: Hey, they're focused in this episode. We watch them so you don't have to. Welcome to part two of our Best Picture of preview here on Naming and PJ. We have watched all of these Haska movies, so you don't have to do so. Because Robes, these are long movies, very really long movies.
Speaker 2: This is a commitment of time and energy that I don't think either one of us would have put into it had it not been a self imposed work assignment.
Speaker 1: The single one of the ten Best Picture nominees are under two hours. The shortest one is Conclave, which is exactly two hours. Is this just where we are now? Movies are just going to be longer?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Because it's funny. You and I typically, well, we do like our horror genre, and it just so happens that most horror movies are about an hour and thirty minutes. So we have just kind of gotten used to that ninety minute thing, and I just feel like that's so doable. Two hours. You're pushing it two and a half hours. That's tough. Three hours plus, that's a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is art, though, this is art. Rose look full disclosure, everybody, we have not seen a single one of the ten nominated films in the theater, but we have seen just about all of them. If we haven't seen, we have other folks in the room here with us. We have our super producers, Andy, Emma and Sidney. If you've listened to the podcast at all, you've heard their name. So they joined us on this assignment of watching all of these movies so we could give you a review so you don't have to. We are going to do today Conclave, Doom two, I'm Still Here, The Substance, and Wicked. We will start with Conclave, nominated for eight Oscars Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Original Score, Adapted Screenplay among them, starring Ralph Fines, Stanley Tucci, John Lithgow, and Isabella Rosalini. Directed by Edward Berger, this is based on a twenty sixteen novel story that follows a cardinal task with running the conclave to elect the next pope, and then secret slies conspiracies are revealed that threatened the future of the church. This one did well at the box office ninety eight point five million dollars. If you'd like to watch it, it is available on Peacock and it's also available on video on demand if you want to rent or buy it. Runtime two hours, the shortest of the ten nominees, has a ninety three percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and it has picked up a very big award in the season, the Best Film Award at the Baptist also Best Screenplay at the Golden Globes Robes Conclave. Your first impression riveting and Lightning and Lightning from Sydney. Emma didn't watch? Sorry, Oh yeah, I'm sorry. I knew that. It's at the top of my notes. I know that, Emma.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm gonna admit I failed you.
Speaker 1: I keep putting her in a position to say she failed. She could never work for Elon Muss. What was Sure's handy?
Speaker 3: I would say, modern classic, A.
Speaker 1: Modern classic, I would My first impression was wow to the ensemble cast. There is this crew of actors, is the top of their game? That was my first impression. Now we ropes have been covering for the past I think several days a week plus. Now, what's happening with the Pope? Him being in the hospital, his illness, the timing just as wild?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is this art imitating life? Or is this life imitating art? I don't know which it is, but certainly I would imagine this has drawn a lot more folks to watching this film because we're seeing potentially a conclave playing out in front of us, or at least could be happening in the next couple of weeks with Pope Francis's deteriorating conditions. So you know, maybe perhaps a lot of new new members of viewing audience have never witnessed or seen a conclave happen. We've reported on them over the years. I was raised Catholic myself, so I found this film to be fascinating about the politicking that goes on behind the scenes, and it I just think it's I mean, the filmmakers could never have known how timely it would be, but my goodness, it's worth a watch given what's going on.
Speaker 1: Uh Sydney Andy. I was struck by how much and I guess we should know this, but I was struck how much they nailed something that we find as sacred as right church Catholics and these men who are at the top, how just down and dirty. Yeah, and it's just nothing but politics. These are nothing but politics. That kind of was jarring to me to a certain degree.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think like that's why I was enlightening to me, just kind of that like inside look inside the Roman Catholic Church. I didn't know anything about Conclave, anything about it going into this movie, and just like seeing all of those like little minute details like kept me entertained the whole time.
Speaker 4: It was just like a bun. It was.
Speaker 5: It's like if you look at it all around, it's like almost slow. But it was like all those little petty things that they were doing. I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: This is crazy to see.
Speaker 5: I don't know these leaders that you hold to such a standard doing that.
Speaker 3: It felt like watching Catholic Survivor, where like I didn't know what was going on, like the politicking involved the alliances that are formed trying to get people's votes. I found that to be so fascinating. I loved like the humor in it. I like because there were very funny parts, Like I feel like the ending Ralph Find's character. I won't give it away, but like he just at that point, he just has a look on his face that I just started laughing because I'm like, I feel so bad.
Speaker 1: For this man. He's been put through the ringer.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Ralph finds as an actor can say so much just with his face, yeah, without even using his own words. But I think for me, it's a reminder when you watch this film that cardinals, popes are men. Men, They're humans, and there is still there are, there will always be elements of greed and power and corruption, no matter what organization you're looking into or inside, whether it's you know, even a church, still has those same elements. Because these are men, they are not anything extraordinary in terms of just their humanness was on full display. It was a pretty cool potential look into what may be going on actually right now.
Speaker 1: It was just so well acted these guys. Ray Fines is just I don't think he's picked up any major awards in this award season, but he is just He carries the movie and I forgot about I think I can remember which one of you said it, but there's a scene at the end where it just all comes out of him. Yeah, and you see it and like, god, this poor guy. I also have.
Speaker 3: Isabella Roslini too. She was amazing too. She had like one scene that was it, but she nailed that scene so well.
Speaker 1: The cafeteria, right y, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't recognize her at first it took me a second say, wait, is that Isabella Rosselini?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And sure enough, and she was so good I thought, oh, John Lithgow, Stanley Tucci. I just think it was such a good cast. And these are men who you see usually do very different characters, so it was cool to see them all together in this setting.
Speaker 1: And there is a twist twist at the end.
Speaker 2: There's a big twist.
Speaker 1: You will don't. I don't care who you are, you will not guess it.
Speaker 2: No, damn yeah, if you read about it, if you're going in, you will never guess it.
Speaker 1: You will not guess it. So if you had to recommend it, Andy, would you recommend it to a friend? And what?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? I think it is just again a modern classic. I think you can go back and rewatch this. The rewatchability is like through the roof. You can show it to friends who you don't have to invest or feel like, I don't know, the Brutalist. You just watch it and you just started just like, oh that was heavy. This one you can kind of just watch and it ends and you're like, I really like that. And now it's nominated for Best Picture. So wow, it's easy for me to died, So I.
Speaker 5: Would one hundred percent recommend it. I think it's it's just such an interesting watch. Like I think, no matter who you are anything like, you'll be invested in this, in this story and who comes out on top. And I just think, yeah, I would definitely recommend it.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: We're recommending to you, Emma that you should watch it in your free time. No, it's it's a it's a great thriller. I think that's you know, it's just you're you're waiting, and I don't think it disappoints the ending. Whether you like it or not, it still was thrilling at the end. So I would absolutely recommend this to anybody.
Speaker 1: It's thrilling, that is, and it's so well acted. I respect every in. Some of the names of the guy when you see their faces, you're like, oh that guy was the is just so good. So yes, absolutely recommend this.
Speaker 2: All Right, Okay, we'll move on now to Dune two, nominated for five Oscars. Uh TJ, you're already giving away how you feel about the movie. All right, five Oscars Best Picture, Sound, Visual Effects, Production, Design, and Cinematography. It stars oh a name we've heard before. Timothy Shallimey Zendeia, Rebecca Ferguson, Josh Broland, Austin Butler, Florence Pew, Christopher walk In, Javier Bardem, Dave Bautista. It's it's really a who's who in the acting world. Every time a new scene was coming, I was like, wait, what, they're in it too. That's how I felt when I was watching it. It's all based on a nineteen sixty five novel by Frank Herbert and the sequel to twenty twenty one's Dune Part one, So Dune Part two picks up where Dune Part one left off. It follows Paul, who is a messiah like figure who rallies a group of desert indigenous desert people waging a war for the universe and seeking revenge on those who destroyed his family. This was a box office juggernaut. Seven hundred and fourteen point six million dollars. That's how much it grossed at the box office. The runtime is a little daunting two hours and forty six minutes. It definitely took us quite a while to watch this one. Rotten Tomato score ninety two and so far. Best Picture nominations BAFTA and Critics' Choice Awards Golden Globes as well. So it's gotten a lot of nominations, and we'll go around and find out what you all thought about it. First impressions, Andy, epic.
Speaker 6: Great cast, stunning.
Speaker 1: I was not a fan amazing Okay, wow, not a fan amazing wow. We were sitting next to each other watching this, not a fan, an amazing movie. I get what you're saying. You know what, We're gonna say the same thing here. Imagine, folks, if today someone came to you and said, go watch this Star Wars sequel to the original Star Wars, so you would go have to watch episode five, The Empire Strikes Back, which is the sequel to the original Star Wars. See how confusing that is. What I'm saying is if you try to just jump into Doom Part two, it is such an epic story that you did. There's so much catching up to do and the nuance and the understanding that it makes it difficult to watch if you're new to the story. I say wow, and this thing was amazing is because it is movie making on the grandest, most epic, biggest, most beautiful scale that you look at and go wow. But it was tough to follow if you're new to the game.
Speaker 2: Correct, So the nominations actually mirror exactly what you're saying. What this film is nominated for. I fully support sound, visual effects, production design, cinematography. All of that absolutely makes sense. Look, I'm someone who is a fan of sci fi and I love all the Star Wars, we love Game of Thrones. I like complicated, complex storytelling. However, unfortunately, maybe I because I tried to watch Dune Part one on a plane and fell asleep. I already came into it thinking like, how am I gonna catch up? And then I found myself actually having to google the story while I was watching it to make sense of it. And so I maybe this is just my own ego, but I felt dumb watching it. I was having a hard time following it and what they were saying. There's a lot of language that doesn't exist, It's like ancient language. So I just I felt mired in all of the complexities of the story that I didn't fully grasp, and so that is the only reason why it was just it took too much effort for me to follow along.
Speaker 1: Okay, Doom, we didn't see Doom one. I fell asleep on a plane as well on Doing One. Not earlier it happened. But did everybody over there see Doing One?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: You did not, Okay, so you told us. Actually, Andy, you say, hey, you'll be fine watching this movie if you haven't seen Doing One. But you love this one.
Speaker 3: I personally, I know I can't be given away how I feel like until the end. But this is my favorite movie of the year. I think it's epic. I think it's amazing. I love the story, I love the music. I think everything about it just works for me. I loved, loved it. I think it just I don't know, it just comes together perfectly. I saw it three times in the theater. What way I know.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry you saw it three times in the theater.
Speaker 3: With different people because it kept being like I need to see this again. And on IMAX, let me tell you something. That worm scene where he's on the worm and ride in the worm. I was feeling things and this man is writing a worm and I'm getting like, damn you go.
Speaker 2: Were the worms like adversaries or were they.
Speaker 1: They are bad?
Speaker 3: But yes, they contained the worm?
Speaker 2: Okay, it was part of my computer.
Speaker 5: I really wish I got to see that in Imax or whatever it is that I think would have changed everything for me, because I already thought it was so stunning just watching it on my TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I saw it and Imax that one, and then they did like a special limited run with like Imax seventy millimeters or something, which is like old. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I in theater three times to see a two hour and forty six minute film.
Speaker 3: To me, the same way that you said the brutalist friends told you that that like the three and a half hour runtime didn't feel like that to me. Every time I watch it, I'm just blown away the whole time, where I don't even notice the runtime.
Speaker 1: You spent eight hours and fifteen minutes of your life, and I'll do it again, DJ happily in the theater, Emma help us here.
Speaker 7: Well, I didn't see doing part one, and so that I think, agreeing with Amy, that kind of threw me off because I also like sci fi, but I have to know what's going on, and I should have seen it before, even though I heard from many people, you don't have to see the first one to understand it.
Speaker 1: So you talked to Andy too.
Speaker 7: He told you that everyone said you didn't have to see the first and so I wish I would have because I am a huge Star Wars fan as well. But I think it's important to be able to have the knowledge to follow correctly.
Speaker 1: It's a big story. Yeah, it's such a big story.
Speaker 3: I love this story. I just that's like my type of narrative, Like that's the movie I want to see. And I think it's just it's so hard to pull off sometimes and I think for it being a sequel, they're just able to do it so well in my opinion, and.
Speaker 1: People should know they're is star after star after star after star that keeps showing up in this movie. It's not real.
Speaker 4: I was so shocked.
Speaker 5: And there's like one random shot of like Anya Taylor Joy. I was like, wait what.
Speaker 4: I was so confused.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well she had a few lines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I was just like for her for such a big star too.
Speaker 3: So she'll be in the next one for sure, because that's the sister.
Speaker 1: Rebecca Ferguson Bardam, you have Shala, may have Zendaia, we have Josh Brolin. This movie was jam. Yes, Christopher Walken.
Speaker 4: It's yes, Austin Butler.
Speaker 2: I had to start that I did have fun actually just seeing the who's who in the cast, and I appreciated all of the art that was involved in it. I just the movie made me feel dumb.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's a complex story and okay, we get put notes together for this podcast. This is the one note on the synopsis of Doom Too that took me the longest. I read and read and read, and I couldn't just summarize what this movie was about. It is big, it's complex, and at the end of this one, I don't is he a good guy or bad guy?
Speaker 3: That's the thing. It's like he started in Uprising and you don't know, like is he too far gone into it and he's not like he he kind of forgot who he was in the midst of all of it. And I found that to me like amazing.
Speaker 2: Ki. Yeah, it was kind of Khalisi and we love Game of Throne, so like we're into all of that storytelling. But it was one of those questions where yes, he was propped up as a messiah like figure, but I don't know who's bad, who's good, who's right, who's wrong. And I know that's part of the excitement of the movie, but it also was frustrating me. I wanted to know who to root for.
Speaker 1: But it's gorgeous, though. If you had to friend comes up to you, Hey, Sidney, should I see Done too?
Speaker 5: You would say what, yes, even alone, just for the cast and for how attractive Timothy Shallimey looks in that movie. Aside from the visual aspects of Dune and whatnot, I.
Speaker 1: Was just like, Yeah, his hair is so well conditioned to be in the desert. He has some great product. Emma, would you recommend this to a friend?
Speaker 7: I would recommend it to a certain friend, and I would say, if they are invested in the story, to watch both movies.
Speaker 3: I mean I saw it three times already, so absolutely y yeah to.
Speaker 2: Ask, yeah, I don't think I would recommend it to anyone that I know.
Speaker 1: I just don't, you know, that's a good point. I don't know if I would. I respect it. I think it's gorgeous. It's just not my lane, and that's okay.
Speaker 2: I actually don't think it needs a recommendation because the fans are the fans, and they're built in and they're huge, and I don't need to convince anybody to see something. If you didn't choose to go see it. I don't know that you would want to go see it.
Speaker 3: I had never read the books, so for me, the movies are what kind of made me a fan. Okay, And I don't think I can read the book because it is too big, and I have tried after watching the movies. But yeah, no, no, the movies got me in.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he'll go to the theater three times. No, I'm not going to read that big book.
Speaker 3: Ages and imagine all those characters but written out, I.
Speaker 1: Can't keep that. That's okay, good point, That's tough. All right. Next one, We're going to get through quickly, and I'll explain why here in a second. Next one, I'm still here. Nominated for three Oscars Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best International Feature Film. Fernanda Torres starring in This One. Directed by Walter Salez, this is a foreign film about a woman who tries to hold her family together after her husband's disappearance at the hands of Brazil's a brutal dictatorship. This made twenty seven point three million dollars at the box office worldwide. It is still in limited theatrical release if you want to try to find it. Runtime of two hours fifteen minutes. I believe this is the highest Rotten Tomato score of all the films, ninety seven percent Rotten Tomato score. It has gotten all the big major nominations, but no major wins. However, Fernanda Torres did receive the Best Actress at the Golden Globes. We have to say here, nobody was able to see this one. We can't find it anywhere streaming, there's nowhere online, and it's limited release. It's hard to find in a theater if you want to check it out. But the word on it, I guess who I know? Andy, You're one that's very much in the movies and know what's going on. But who can speak on this for what have you heard about it? And has it been recommended to anybody in this room.
Speaker 3: I heard that she's really good in it, and so I do want to see it for that reason. It's just so hard to find anywhere because it's an international release, so those things usually take like months and months to get on video on demand. But I do want to see it, so.
Speaker 1: Folks or take that need to remember that about the movie. Yes, it is difficult to find right now. I cool detail though, Andy, we were just talking about this. Fernanda Torres is nominated for Best Actress and a very cool story here only two, right, Andy, I'll let you speak to it. Only two Brazilian women have ever been nominated in this category.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's Fernanda and her mom. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes me want to watch the movie just because of that cool, fun fact. And I think when it is available to stream this I even like the premise of it. This is a movie that I would see, so I actually am looking forward to it. And it's you know, I know everyone has their favorites for Best Actress, but it'd be really cool that stories somehow she did manage to pull out a win, and some people say that that could happen. Something to look for. All right, we'll move on. I'm laughing, but you'll soon find out why. For our next movie, The Substance five Oscars Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Director, Makeup and Hairstyling, and Original Screenplay. It stars Demi Moore, mar Great Quality and Dennis Quaid. Directed by Coraley. I don't want to say her name wrong, Coraley far yet, does anyone know how to fier Jay? See? I knew I was going to destroy that. This the premise of this movie is super cool, and this is what drew me into it and made me want to see it from the beginning. It's an aged out celebrity decides to take a mystery drug with the promise of a younger, better version of herself. Well, things go wild, to say the least, and it gets It goes from being wild to crazy to perhaps even surreal. At the end. Box office gross on this movie seventy seven million. You can watch it if you want to pay for it video on demand now where you stream your shows. Two hours and twenty minutes is the runtime. Rotten Tomatoes score was eighty nine percent. This one has several picture nominations Best Picture nominations. Tom Moore already won the Golden Globe for Best Actress. She certainly is. She's that acceptance speech she gave at the Gold Globes. Some people have said that was probably an acceptance speech that got a lot of miles to it because she talked about being called a popcorn actress early on in her career, and now she's been legitimized with this role. So a lot of folks are this is the big thing. Whether Demi Moore will win Best Actress or not at the Oscars this weekend, So we'll go around and get everyone's take on their first impressions of this movie. Andy, how about you?
Speaker 3: Amazing?
Speaker 6: I loved it, amazing, but very nauseous.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad I saw it.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed it and thought it was incredibly unique and entertaining.
Speaker 1: What the actual fuck.
Speaker 2: Was my first impress You actually had a very visceral emotional reaction to the movie, especially in the last part of it.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to and I get the first I was hooked the premise, the idea Demi Moore that, oh, this movie started out with a very original it was a cool story. It just it went into an area in the end. What this was for me, it was an unpleasant viewing experience. I found myself actually uncomfortable or squirming or not wanting to look at the television. I found myself finding the story or the events so absurd at times that it then for me lost that great message and story at the beginning. That's what it was for me, And it is the exact opposite I know for a lot of folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, and you are a big horror movie fan. But you made a very big point to say, Robes, I like horror movies, but I do not like body horror, and that is exactly what this movie was for me. It got a little hard to watch, funny enough, with the audio up whoever did the sound that went along with the movie, it made what you were seeing even more grotesque when you heard what you were seeing. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also never thought that I was like squeamish of needles, and then the amount of close ups of needles and like, I just I was like, I guess the new fear has been unlocked because I did not know that I was that creeped out by it.
Speaker 7: I already had a developed fear of needles and up close shots of blood and stitches, so I was well prepared and I was okay during those scenes. Except it was so well done with the prosthetics and the angles to make you feel so disgusted that I completely appreciated the fact that I felt that way, but I could not sit like I was actually like Gagnant, I.
Speaker 2: Was so disturbed by a lot of it.
Speaker 5: I almost feel like the movie could have like ended thirty minutes early, like it was so much with like that whole end part where I was like, like it like lost me on the original point of the movie that I was so invested in and that I was like, I'm so glad that they're like bringing attention to this and like the pressure of women to like look a specific way for so long forever.
Speaker 4: I also thought it was.
Speaker 5: Just like so interesting, like how physically disgusted I was by Dennis Kuwait's character. I was literally repulsed when he was eating that like lobster. I was like, or the shrimp or whatever. Yeah, I was like, this is more disgusting than the needles. And some of the body shots to me is like the close up on your face, Like I literally could not watch it.
Speaker 3: I was shocked he never got a Best Supporting Actor. No, I feel like he shouldn't have been nominated.
Speaker 4: Or market quality. I feel like she got no love.
Speaker 3: I feel like she.
Speaker 1: Was so good.
Speaker 2: She was she was excellent. So that was shocking to me because I think both of them deserved They were a huge part of making me like that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this Quaid's character did exactly what you He was a filthy discuss. You just hated him, hated him, but he played his role, so I wash, he nothing. I haven't seen him anywhere good nominated for.
Speaker 3: Em like mentioned it. I don't think it's fair.
Speaker 1: I don't know how that stuff works. But he was a very integral part of that movie being disgusting.
Speaker 2: Agreed, And I completely think he got robbed on that one, as so did Margaret. I completely agree with all of that. Yes, you know it's funny, Sidney. You pointed this out, and I know TJ believes this too. But it got to the point where I loved some of the shocking parts of the movie, even the gross parts of the movie, but at the end it just got silly, and I like funny. I like, I'll take gross, I'll take shocking. I don't really like silly, and it felt like it got silly at the end. She's like, it's still me like crying out of some body part that I don't want to laugh like in that way at a horror movie. I love horror comedy, but when it's unintended humor, that for me is where it slightly missed the mark.
Speaker 1: But look, everybody's a lot of folks said this was This movie got standing ovations in places. This is a movie that people looked at and the shock of it was supposed to be the draw of it, and the beauty of it, to a certain degree was what they were doing. It was just entirely too much for me. So with that, I'll start with me when we go around and ask would you recommend this to her friend? And why? Uh huh? Why would I not? Because I want you to keep your food down after dinner.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I say that somewhat jokingly. It's just it was a hard, hard watch. But to me more who she was incredible in that.
Speaker 5: Movie, so good the scene where she was like wiping off her makeup that I would watch that scene, just that scene again. I was just like, that was so Also I saw us on TikTok Ray Liota was suposed to play Dennis Quade's character and then he passed away.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, I could have seen that. That actually made oh yeah, playing the Dennis Wade character. So I totally can see that. That makes sense to me, I just like too much.
Speaker 5: I also saw this on TikTok that they made Margaret Qualley or like had her where like some sort of like fake boobs or something like that, which I just thought was so interesting. Because she's like the perfect, you know what I mean, Like she's supposed to be like the perfect. It's like so interesting that even like what everyone was like aspiring to look like, even that on the behind the scenes, it's like, wasn't wasn't they still had to like do something irony.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the irony exactly.
Speaker 3: I think that's interesting.
Speaker 2: We do have it tough, Yeah, we do, Sidney, would you recommend it?
Speaker 5: I honestly like, I feel like everyone says should see this movie, Emma.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 7: I think I love the underlining meaning behind it because I feel like something like that is so in our future, and so I.
Speaker 6: Love the plot and I love the way I felt during the movie, even though I don't.
Speaker 2: Want to feel that way.
Speaker 6: But I would totally recommend it.
Speaker 3: Andy, one hundred percent. And just another little behind the scenes thing. I work on a podcast and they interviewed the producer of this movie and she said the original cut that she flew out to Paris to watch with Coraley was four and a half hours, and the last scene where it just goes off the rails was thirty minutes longer. Oh, every single thing in that script was filmed, and she just made a four and a half hour cut, So there does exist a four and a half hour cut at this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't wait till that's released on streaming.
Speaker 3: For sure, we'll watch it together.
Speaker 2: And I would absolutely recommend it as well, because yes, I just I liked it. I just liked it from a storytelling standpoint, but I think the women in this room also know, and being the oldest woman and person in this room, I related to it on another level as well. You know, you start to see your peers, people who might just be a little bit older than you, doing drastic things to try and look younger, and and I always you know, I I've asked people to check me. You know, I don't ever you want to look the best you can, but you also don't want to be desperate to look like something you can't ever fully attain. And so I think the message in the movie I definitely spoke to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it was like never enough to exactly that, and that I feel like it's just so like with ozembic plastic surgery fillers everything, it's like you're never going to reach that perfect and people keep going like and just as a woman, that movie just really absolutely and.
Speaker 2: Some people do go to the point where I don't want to say they look grotesque, but it's it's it's not a better version of what they would have had had they just left.
Speaker 1: Well enough, they certainly drove that home home that point, didn't.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: Can we just talk about it, okay.
Speaker 3: I also think it's cool though, that horror got its moment, because horror never gets its moment. At the Academy Awards, it he was.
Speaker 2: We had this argument because he was like, that wasn't horror, that was a horror movie.
Speaker 6: Yet I actually have a point.
Speaker 1: Okay, Emma, you're not. We're gonna we're gonna be on the same page. Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 7: So actually I discussed this with my roommate Abby. We broke it down into three parts, the first part being horror, the second part being a thriller, in the third part being a comedy.
Speaker 2: Oh, I could get behind that.
Speaker 1: You tell me the end was supposed to be comedic.
Speaker 2: Well it was ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, it is supposed to be a dark comedy at the end, like you're supposed to laugh at it.
Speaker 1: I think Emma's earlier point about you you're going with an expectation. I thought this was this, and that was this. I think I didn't know it was a horror movie. If I had known that, I think I might have received it differently. I did not. This was a straight up there was a monster in this movie. Yeah, I didn't know that was happening. Yeah, I didn't know that was happening. All right, last, let's then not a happy note, shall we? Well kind of I had issues with this one at the end. All right, folks, Wicked, Wicked. Here it is ten Oscars, and it's important to tell you which ones they're nominated for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Visual Effects, sound Editing, original score, makeup, hair styling, costume design, and production design. Of course, this star is Cynthia Orrivo, Ariana Grande, Jonathan Bailey, but you also got Peter Dinklegen. Here, you got Jeff Goldblum, you got Michelle Yo. Directed by John M. Chew. This was adapted, of course, from the hit musical. It traces the origins of the friendship and falling out between Alphaba and Glinda, the two characters we came to know as the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda, the good Witch. This one seven hundred and twenty eight million dollars at the box office. It is available to rent or buy on demand right now. It'll be on Peacock on March twenty first, that has been announced. Runtime two hours, forty minutes. Rotten Tomato score eighty eight percent. It has been nominated for several awards, but it's been getting beat out in all the major ones because of it's got stiff competition, of course, but it did pick up the Cinematic and Box Office Achievement Award at the Golden Globes. Andy first impression of Wicked. I liked it.
Speaker 4: Chills this delivered for me.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 1: Cynthia Rivo is my hero, I think. Is my first impression of this movie. I've seen everybody here seeing her on stage seen Wicked? Yes, No, you haven't seen it on stage?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Did anybody here did? I don't know if you did, Robes, maybe you're the only one I should ask is did you see the Chennaw? Did you ever see her on stage?
Speaker 2: So I did. I actually saw it when it first came out with Christian Chenawi as Glinda or Glinda. Yes, and that was mind blowing to me. And then I saw it a second time after they had already come and gone. So I've seen it twice and I thought this movie was incredible. I love the nod that they gave to the originals and that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, they're in there. Yeah, everybody knows that it was.
Speaker 2: It was I thought, just with what they can do, uh with movies, and it just it brought it to an even more colorful, beautiful life than the stage even was able to know.
Speaker 1: You said this, you said they create the worlds they were able to create.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the final scene defying gravity, I mean, I had chills from head to toe. I wanted to run to go see the second installment. In that moment, I was ready for another two hours and forty minutes. Wow, that's how much I loved it.
Speaker 5: I agree, this is the only one I thought saw in theaters and this is all which I'm so happy about. But this is also the only one that made me cry like I did cry at the Ozda Ballroom and then also at the end Oh the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anybody else cry watching the I can watch movies, this one.
Speaker 2: Teary like yes, because I I just like the whole concept of the movie. Slash. It was a Broadway show. But yeah, like I loved a Dina Menzel and Christian Chenna with right there next to Cynthia Rivo and Ariana Grande. I just thought the acting, the singing, the way it looked, the way it felt, it just it held true to its original but made it even better. And that's why I just loved it so much.
Speaker 1: Was anybody else taken with I was? I thought Ariana Grande had such a great cupmedic for for she was amazing.
Speaker 4: So good and it was like her dream of life to play this role.
Speaker 2: And how many people could walk in the shoes of Christian Chena with or in the shoes of a Dina Menzel. They those are such big shoes to fill. It could have gone so wrong if they didn't cast it correctly. But those two were the perfect people to step in and bring it to life and film. I thought I.
Speaker 3: Would see it like passed on to this new generation of people that that's going to be there. Glinda and Alphabet. I think that's really nice.
Speaker 7: I loved it so Amanda Siegfrid, Yes, I don't know if I'm pronouncing her last same correct. She auditioned for Glinda, And although I think she's amazing.
Speaker 6: She was amazing in Mama Mia.
Speaker 7: But knowing that, how you couldn't have casted it better than Ariana.
Speaker 6: I believe she.
Speaker 2: Was the perfect And you know what, I don't know how much I knew of Ariana Grande's acting abilities because I just obviously she's got a phenomenal voice.
Speaker 6: But she have you seen her on SNL?
Speaker 2: Yes, you know what, and she is really good on SNL. You're right, you're right. But I was really impressed with her acting chops, like really impressed.
Speaker 1: You know it sounds great. I can't remember the name of the show, but Sabine used to have me watching the show she was on that was victorious. She used to have me watching the show. Yeah, I could not believe it.
Speaker 6: She was kind of had an airy voice, but she was funny.
Speaker 1: But she was funny and she that had that hair twirl she does throughout this movie. She was She was the biggest surprise. I love Cynthia Rivo. There was something about her character that's crazy as sounds I related to to some degree, but just seeing how she was, she brought a level of swagger I guess to Alphaba that I didn't anticipate.
Speaker 2: She was.
Speaker 1: I loved how she nailed Alphaba her Lock. Her singing talent is we don't need to discuss. But she I loved, loved, loved her in a way I didn't anticipate. I think, I guess the two leads. I just I was kind of blown away by the two of them. I would not have gone to the theater. I would not have come to use say hey, wickets coming out, you're gonna go see it. I would never have done that. If you wanted me to go, I would have gone with you. But this is not one I naturally would gravitate towards.
Speaker 4: Do you want to see Part two in the theaters?
Speaker 2: I mean, he will?
Speaker 5: I think it's so good in theaters, Like, yeah, you're right. I was like so in that world, like for that amount of time, know how long it is, but like I was like not even thinking about anything else, Like I was just there, like it was so good.
Speaker 1: It was one of those things I would never elect, even you saying wicked too, Like no, I would never say, hey, it's coming out, let's go see it. It's not my lane. I guess I'm not the who they're marketing towards. But still there is not one issue I have with this movie. It is wonderful from start to finish. Everybody should see it, but still I wouldn't go to the theater to see it.
Speaker 2: It's the one, I just say one. But it kind of is the one feel good movie of this sponge I feel like it is. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Why was I pissed at the end? I was still mad?
Speaker 2: Maybe because I was singing no, no, I want to go to the movie theater where you can sing along. That would be so fun.
Speaker 1: Bring there was something about the ending and I can't remember the story. Wait a minute, what do they do with Wicket? They don't they This is all the stage.
Speaker 2: Story, the first one. Now we're an intermission and we'll wait for part two, which would be the second.
Speaker 1: But they don't won't take new liberties with the story. This is still the Wicked too, is going to be what I've seen on stage? Correct? Okay? There was something about this the way this one ended that I was upset.
Speaker 2: Really, I thought it was incredibly powerful.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ride off with Alphabet. There was something about it. I was still upset, not at the movie, but.
Speaker 2: I wanted more. You wanted to see where Alphabet was going to take us next.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there we have it. We've gone through the ten movies now, so now we're going to get to the point where we ask everybody in this room. Our super producers Andy, Emma and Sydney as well as Robot and I are going to tell you who we think should be the winners of the major categories. We're only going to do best Picture, and we're going to do what we say, best Active, Best Actress, and we leave it that that worked for you, guys. That's what everybody's seen, all right. I don't know who wants to start. Where should we start? You know what, just because I know she'll be annoyed by it, Let's start with Emma. Let's start with Emma. Best Picture, Best Actor, Actor, and Best Actress. Who is your best actress?
Speaker 6: Best Actress?
Speaker 7: I I think I would go with Cynthia Rivo because I didn't know who she was before and her performance was stunning. I am so enthralled by her vocals. I'm just all for singing and beautiful voices.
Speaker 3: She just deserves to win Best Actress.
Speaker 5: I think Best Actresses maybe the hardest category for me. I feel like that's it's so there's so many good names, but I would say Mikey Madison and Anora.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with Demi Moore. I think it's her best role and I think again it breaks boundaries for the horror genre. It would be cool for that to get the representation it deserves. And Demi Moore, I think has had such a long career she earned it.
Speaker 2: I love that. I'm gonna have to go with Mikey Madison because I was just blown away at her performance and how authentic it was. But I wouldn't be upset if to me one as well.
Speaker 1: Mikey Madison. She's like, I will go campaign for her. This was such a cool I just fell. I could not believe what she did on screen. I thought it was incredible. Best Actress Mikey Madison for me as well. Best Actor? Who you got Andy?
Speaker 3: I really thought Adrian Brody was great. But I yeah, I'm trying to think who else is nominated in that one.
Speaker 2: Timothy Shallamy is the other big front runner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but maybe Ralph finds two. I really thought like he's kind of has the deme of it all too where he hasn't won an Oscar, and I think he's due for one, and I think the performance was so nuanced, so I wouldn't be mad if he got it, but I'd also be totally fine with Adrian Brody getting it.
Speaker 7: I am so Timothy shallamet movies up there that's incredible, and he in my eyes, he can do no wrong.
Speaker 5: I think mine is Ralph Findes because he made that movie for me his acting, and I actually had never seen him in anything before. I didn't know who that was, and I just thought he was so, so, so amazing cool.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Adrian Brody, not only because I think he was phenomenal what he did, but it'll make me having seen the Brutalists, It just it makes it feel all worth it. Having been able to see his performance and then him winning, I can be like, yeah, I watched that movie. I saw him.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to go away. And in all fairness, we didn't get a chance to see a completely unknown so we can't compare it to what Timothy Shalamay has done. He now is viewed as the only competition really for Ray Fines after he excuse me, for Adrian Brody after which was the Big Screen Actors Guild. Yeah, but I just Adrian Brody is. You can't take your eyes off of him, and I just don't know how people do that. He is an actor on a different scale. He is just incredible, So yes, he has to be the guy.
Speaker 2: All right. Now we come to Best Picture, Andy, what is your pick for Best Picture?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go.
Speaker 3: With June too, but I wouldn't be mad if The Substance or Nickel Boys also won, or Concleeve.
Speaker 1: You just picked five movies, man, I picked four. Oh yeah, he had a count.
Speaker 2: Emma, how about you Best Picture?
Speaker 7: I don't think it's gonna win Best Picture, but I'm going to go with a complete unknown because I just personally.
Speaker 2: Loved it and you didn't see anything else. WHOA, I'm just teasing you. That sounds like something I would say that, So good, all right, Sidney, Best Picture?
Speaker 5: I just think overall, from like acting to directing, for me, it's wicked.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, cool, all right? The best picture for me is Anora. I just thought from the acting to the storytelling and just my level of.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: I was riveted. I didn't want the movie to end, and a lot of the other movies I did want them to end, So Anora for me is my for Best Pictures?
Speaker 1: Is that fair to say? Honora was my favorite movie? But I think the Brutalist and Conclave might deserve.
Speaker 4: The Oscar me too. It was my favorite movie.
Speaker 5: NOA was the one that But it's not who I think is going to win Best we will.
Speaker 1: I will be rooting for Anora. I will be rooting for Mikey Madison. But when they say Conclave and Brutalists, I will stand up and cheer. Those movies are just on a different there.
Speaker 2: Just I agree, And you know what, thank you all for agreeing to spend all of these hours watching all of these movies. This is the first time I have ever watched this many movies. And DJ and I have both reported and covered the Oscars. We've been on the red carpet, and I still in those years had not.
Speaker 1: Wanted to never seen this movies that I have.
Speaker 5: This is my thing, Like I'm going to do this every single year now, Like.
Speaker 4: It was so fun and I feel so cultured. I'm like, oh, you haven't seen that.
Speaker 2: And how much fun is Sunday night going to be? Now? Oh?
Speaker 4: I'm throwing an Oscars party. I'm literally so.
Speaker 1: You know what, that is really good. Cool, but you didn't want to jump in and correct you what you said. You want to think all of them for watching all the movies with us. You mean Andy and Sydney.
Speaker 2: Oh right, she gets like a partial a partial bit of my gratitude.
Speaker 1: A partying dig I'm okay with them again, folks, if you want to go watch them, twenty five hobs and twenty nine minutes of your life are waiting. But hope you got something. It has some fun with us, because we did have fun watching them. And congrats to all of these movie makers. Look the matter. If you like the movie, you don't like the movie, These are their lives. The livelihoods is their arts, and they spend a whole lifetime putting this stuff together and getting to this point. This is movie making on the grandest scale. Congratulations to them all. But we will be rooting for them on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna have an Oscar party, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be competing with Sydney's. Apparently we should get our messages out to our friends.
Speaker 5: Oscar party for all of us at Amy and TJ's house.
Speaker 2: That's a consideration. But thank you all for listening. Hope you all had some fun, and yeah, if you have some time, check out your favorites and we can all talk about the Oscars. We'll definitely have a podcast talking about what happened, who won, who didn't, and what we think about it all, so stay tuned for that. But in the meantime, I have a wonderful thing