Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We will talk to Brent Musberger a little bit later on this morning. Brandal Shambley will join us from Augusta after what we saw yesterday. But let me start with Brent, because every generation has a voice that defines how we remember a game, and for millions of fans, that voice was Brent Musburger, and he's finally getting his due now. The award is called the Pete Roselle Radio and TV Award. Pete Roselle former NFL commissioner, and Brent has been a voice for generation for fifty years. When you think about a Saturday or Sunday or a Monday, and when he would say you are looking live, it was just it sounded like something bigger was going to happen. The Rose Bowl, the final four, NFL, Sunday's a BCS title game. He had a voice that when you heard it, you knew that something was a little more important, a little more special. The Pete Roselle Award is not just a honoring a broadcaster. It celebrates really the soundtrack of a lot of our lives. And Brent gave us moments. He gave us memories. This is long overdue. There are some people at the Pro Football Hall of Fame who reached out yesterday gave me a heads up before it was officially announced and said, you guys did it. So a round of applause for us, because I just kept thinking, Brent deserves to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, just like John Facenda. Years ago, I realized John Facenda, the voice of NFL films, was not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I reached out to a friend who I've known for thirty five years who works there, and I said, this is an injustice, and she said, I'll put you in touch with David Baker, who ran the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and David said, write a letter. So I go to McLevin and I said, let's put together a letter and send it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Maybe they can give it to the voters and remind them that John Facenda, the voice of the NFL, was not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. And then David Baker called the show and said, John Facenda is going in posthumously. I didn't want that to happen with Brent, And every time I would have him on.
Speaker 3: We saw him in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: He came by, He's eighty five years of age, and I said, damn it, we're going to get you in the Hall of Fame. Whatever role we played, and maybe it's a small role, but all I wanted to do is use the platform to remind people that he was not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. And when you think about the certain memories you have, the people you remember, the shows you remember, and the impact that they had on you. The CBS pregame show with Brent, I mean, that's the first time I go I can do that. I can That's what I want to do. I can have a goal where I'm hosting a show like that. And I never would have thought that. I didn't have direction. I knew I wanted to be in sports, but I saw Brent and I thought, that's what I want to do. But when you think about starting your football Sunday, you started your football Sunday with Brent saying you are looking live. And you know, even now, I never get tired of that. You are looking live. So I'm glad he's going in well deserved. He'll join us a little bit later on and you know, I tried to get Jim Nantz involved in it, and I think Jim was echoing the sentiments to try to get Brent in as well. So there's a few other people who certainly picked up the baton and use their platform to help Brent or remind people that Brent wasn't in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. So thank you all the people involved. Patty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 4: I go back to two three years ago, we were talking about the award, the Pete Rosella Award, and I think it was Fred Goadelli, the great director from ABC, and we looked up and we didn't see Brent's name on the list. We saw like Tom Jackson and Andrea Kramer and Joe Buck and Jim Nance and it almost looked like this must be a typo. Brent Musburger's name is not on the list of the Roselle Award for contributions to the game as a media member. We actually double checked because we thought we had it wrong, and then we brought it up on air, and every time you said it on air, people would reck.
Speaker 5: Like, how can this be?
Speaker 4: It's It's almost like what must have been so obvious that Brent should be in. No one discussed him being it. I can't think of any other reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I don't want to ask Brent why he wasn't in, or you know, any of that. We should be looking moving forward with that. But a lot of people got involved in this behind the scenes, and great greatly appreciate that. So we have a poll question today, Play of the Day, stat of the Day, all of that forthcoming. Your phone calls are welcome. It's a Friday. Everybody's in a great mood. Got to meet Friday. Brent's news Yeah, you know, nominated for a Sammy, all great stuff. So, uh seton, what are you gonna go with? And it's such a great time of the year. You got golf, the home stretch of the NBA, you got baseball, you got hockey home stretch. You know, we've got the draft, you know, coming up in a couple of weeks. So it's it's really a great time of the year to do this for a living or just be a fan. Seaton, what are we going to go with? First hour?
Speaker 6: Marvinson went actually based on the Brent Musburger getting into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Who should Dan get into the Hall of Fame. Next.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about this because my brother, my brother, who is a big music guy. He goes, Okay, you used your platform to help Foreigner get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, because I thought that was an injustice as well, and even met with their lead singer, and I'm like, I'm I'm going on my show and I'm going to talk about Foreigner needs to be in the rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They get in the rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And then we had John Facenda. Now, Brent, I'm tired. I got to let somebody else do this. Yes, Paulie, I got a couple. If you can crank it up.
Speaker 3: Man, I don't know. If I have the energy, I'll throw it too.
Speaker 4: For the Pete Roselle Radio and Television Award. These two gentlemen.
Speaker 3: I can't nominate myself, Paulie, that's silly.
Speaker 7: Wait.
Speaker 4: Oh, if the award is contributions to growing the game of football, how about Mel Kuiper.
Speaker 5: Yes again, that's it's tiven a question.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, we brought this up last year. Yeah, And we brought this up last year about Mel.
Speaker 5: And Peter King, the writer.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, do you want to do one at a time, you want.
Speaker 2: Me Mel Kuiper, absolutely positively yes. And Peter you know, these are these are people who are there. You know, it's their lives. It's year round. You know, we get to enjoy football in football season. But with uh, with Mel, this is year round, this is all Mel does. And then with Peter and now he just retired. But yeah, you're those are two great, great examples of people who should be nominated. But definitely Mel Kiper. He was doing it when people weren't doing this. He changed the draft. Like if you think about what Mel was doing when he was doing it, how he was doing it, and he'd be in his little laboratory and he'd come out with player profiles and he'd say, you know, this guy from this college, and this is where he should go.
Speaker 3: And I mean he had his mock drafts. I mean, he did all of this. He had created an entire industry.
Speaker 2: A cottage industry that is now metastasized into you know, its own sports world. You got a festival at the draft. I go back to first draft I went to was nineteen eighty four, not a bad draft, eighty three I was there, but I wasn't working. But you know, you start to think about what it was. They had those helmet phones. No one was really there, you know, players weren't there. Then all of a sudden it just became bigger. Hey let's televise this.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 2: Now, all of a sudden it becomes Coachella. It's football Coachella, and Meil helped start that. And I invaluable, invaluable resource at the Mothership throughout all those in my eighteen years there, you could always rely on Mel. He would come on and he was always prepared. He always you know, he had direction with everything that he was talking about. He didn't give you sort of half assed answers, like he had done his homework and his homework was going to stand up to gms who didn't like him, or coaches or players. But he did his homework. So that's a great. Yes, let's get started on Mel. Get started on Mel, and if I have enough energy, then we can work on Peter King anybody else that needs to be I think that's good for now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a lot of work.
Speaker 6: Are you going to expand out of just the Pete Roselle Award because there's lots of other suggestions here, what else Sonny Vaccaro is a great one arm throughout.
Speaker 2: Yes, well I even brought that up to Sonny and I even said it on the show Michael Jordan, Mike, write a letter Basketball Hall of Fame. Sonny should be in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Contributions to the game, Sonny Vacaro changed the game.
Speaker 6: And Mike said, actually, I made Sonny so.
Speaker 2: Well, if even if he says that, still write a letter, you know, that would that would carry a whole lot of weight. If Mike says Sonny should be in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Sonny should be writing a letter for me.
Speaker 2: Really, But but you know, to get it so, we're not doing this posthumously. And that's the key, you know, with Brent being eighty five and Sonny is in his eighties as well. What he did for the shoe industry for coaches, I mean really, this was he was doing nil, you know for these coaches before there was nil anybody else seating that I can help.
Speaker 6: Off of Marvin's list, here we got Dale Murphy. Can you get him into the Baseball Hall of Fame?
Speaker 3: I can't why.
Speaker 2: I love Murph. I think if he had two more home runs, then he might get ano what he ended up with three ninety eight, we had two MVPs.
Speaker 3: I love Murph.
Speaker 2: He's one of my favorite people I've ever met in my life, not just athlete. But I don't I don't think that's going to happen. I think he had to have four hundred home runs where they go all right, because then you could kind of put him in there with Fred McGriff and you could say, all right, you know, who else do you have? Because you know, Murph was a catcher and probably not a very good catcher. They put him in center field and he became a really good center fielder.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paulie Dan, you know how much round numbers bother me? That's the Dale Murphy is the peak of round numbers bother three ninety eight.
Speaker 5: Four hundred.
Speaker 4: He went back to back ends. There was a time when he was the most feared man in baseball, and the window was six years five six years.
Speaker 2: But he had some injuries, he didn't win, they didn't play in big games. But man, I love the team, Ralph Gard Bob Horner Braves were fun. Get to go watch them play all the time. When of his living in Atlanta, who else.
Speaker 6: Do we have their seaton Ken Anderson and get him into football.
Speaker 3: That's yes.
Speaker 2: If he won that one Super Bowl in Detroit against Joe Montana, He's in the Hall of Fame. I think because Kenny Anderson was the most accurate quarterback back when I don't think we gave a whole lot of credit to being accurate. I think he had one game where he competed completed twenty one consecutive passes and back then you were throwing deep balls Isaac Curtis. But yeah, Kenny Anderson I think is a Hall of Fame quarterback. I do anybody else there's you know, we could start populating more of that listing. Okay, yeah, you know the audience may have some suggestions. But man, when I got that news and my friend at the Pro Football Hall of Fame and she said, you did it. And I was like, I saw the press release and I immediately said to the Dan net So, I said, we did it.
Speaker 3: What else?
Speaker 5: Eton?
Speaker 6: Actually, speaking of audience contributions, somebody tweeted at us a crazy thought that maybe we'll get to in the next segment.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can take a breatha fun. Yeah, just getting started.
Speaker 2: Man, got emotional about this, but that's your childhood, Like you're seeing somebody who impacted you greatly.
Speaker 3: And that's why I think it. You know, I was proud to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: All right, Stop crying, Dan, It's a Friday, Okay, I will. I wasn't crying. It's just kind of emoting a little bit.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 3: So check us out.
Speaker 8: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, i'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Love watching, you know, Gulf Central live from U see at the Ryder Cup or a major, the Masters, and then I'm always watching Brandal Shambilie because chances are he's going to say something to piss somebody off. He's really really good at that. But I watched yesterday, Randall. I don't think you upset anybody yesterday.
Speaker 3: What's what's going on? You're going soft on us?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I kind of had an off day, I guess.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't know that I've pissed anybody off this whole week. Dan, I'm on great behavior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like that I brought this up.
Speaker 2: When you see certain guys like Freddie Couples is sixty five and he shoots a one under, but you know, the familiarity there. He's not going to hit it where everybody hits it. But as Payne Stewart once said to me, our game is about missus where we miss and being able to get up and down as opposed to where the average golfer misses. But that local knowledge, how much does that play in with Freddie, you know, being up there at least hanging in on the leaderboard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think in a huge way. I mean, there are a lot of things that I think helped the elderly out Augusta National. The fairways there are fifty five yards wide. Yesterday was just an ideal day for scoring. It wasn't I mean, yeah, the course in Spots was firm like fifteen, but it was a goldilocks day. You know, it was pretty warm, wind wasn't blowing. And then Freddy's just he's an unbelievably good golfer and he's aged so well because the swing is long and it's languid and it's loose. It's kind of crazy, you know, if you think about yesterday, Yesterday was really a crazy day. Sneaky. One of the crazier days I think I've seen. You know, he had a guy that won twice last year, shooting ninety. You had a guy on Social Security that shot seventy one. And when we talk about somebody relieving themselves or going into Raysed Creek, I should say normally it's because they hit a shot in there, not because they went in there to relieve themselves, like the US Amateur champ did yesterday. He said, though, I'll give him a lot of credit. He said it was the largest amount of clause he got all week. And then Rory with the double bogies came way back.
Speaker 2: So he's not in trouble, is he? Because you got to be careful with your demeanor at Augusta. Certainly the patrons do. What about the golfers.
Speaker 7: I'm sure the Augusta committee wasn't too happy with him. He said he forgot to go to the bathroom. I don't know how one does that, but uh, you know you have to be I guess judicious. There was a porter potty on the thirteenth tee. I guess he forgot. And uh, anyway, you know, what are you gonna do? What are you gonna do when you playing with it, But you gotta go, you gotta go. But Ray's creek. Uh And then what else? What else happened crazy yesterday?
Speaker 2: Well Rory on fifteen and like I was telling people that that looked like a perfect shot. His his second shot in it goes right over the stick. Now it's on the back. Now it's tricky because it can be it borders on that's unbelievable or oh my god. And then Nance said right away it's gone because it got to that certain point it had a little bit of momentum. And then Jim says, it's gone. It's in the water.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean after it didn't check that first bounce, he knew it was gone.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: The players that had hit that shot conservatively or good, I mean it checked the first bounce, or they just were really careful, like Scotti Scheffer hit it back there and he was really careful. He landed on the fringe. He left it. Really it's hard to believe it, but it's a chip shot where you got to be conservative and as firm as that green is, they all knew it. It was such a head shot. I mean, Rory, you know, I'm i would imagine, you know better than me, but pulling for Rory, and almost everybody in the world of golf pulls for Rory, is maybe it's a kin to you. Tell me, if there's a decent analogy, I may use it to deny. Would it be like being a Buffalo Bills fan? You know, they they're awesome, right, and they just can't quite win the big game? And for the last ten years, Rory's been there all the time, and then he makes these blunders, these head scratchers in major championships. You know, he's so inconsistent in majors on the one hand, and on the other he's pretty damn consistent. You just can't quite figure him out.
Speaker 2: Well, rich Lerner, the great host of the program, says, and you got a little bit frosty, I think when he said we might look at this and say, Rory lost the tournament with that double bow GIT fifteen and double bow GIT seventeen, and then you you kind of fired back at him. So why do you think Rory is still in this thing?
Speaker 7: Because he's playing great. I mean, right up until the blunder at fifteen, he could have been seven under par pretty easily, and he was four under par, and he had really kind of gotten nothing out of the round. He had so many good shots and not capitalized on them. He played great coming in here, and Rory tends to play his best golf when he's kind of out of it, and he's not out of it. I maintain that the lead is really Scotti Scheffler. You know that's the person you got to beat. No disrespect to Justin Rose. It's hard to sustain that level of golf that he played yesterday for four days. He just made a bogue at the fifth. He's hit some of the worst shots I've seen somebody hit who's leading a golf tournament. Early in around number two, fourth old par three pins up front, he laid the sod over his approach shot fifty yards shortly the green. I've never seen anybody do that. And he got up and down for par, so he kind of smoking mirrors and then he bogued five. So my point is he's four back of Scotty Scheffler. Well, you don't think Rory can make up four shots over three days. And if I'm Rory, I'm sitting there thinking I got to go out and get twelve undred par over the next four days and that should do it. So No, I don't think he shot himself out of it, but he made pretty much all the mistakes he could make yesterday.
Speaker 2: How does Augusta keep this so the scores don't get out of hand? When you see Deshambo hitting at three hundred and fifty yards and then you got a short iron into a Part five rory with that, as you said, you can blast it there if you miss a fair way, they's saying a lot about your driving ability or lack thereof. But what does Augusta do continue to do to keep it in a certain number if that's important to them.
Speaker 7: Well, the golf course has a lot of links to it, you know. The Augusta more than any other golf course I think in the country has managed to sort of keep up with the technological and I would say physique changes in the game of golf. The scoring average yesterday was seventy three point four. Last year was seventy three point nine. I mean, you go back forty years, that's kind of what the scoring average was, so they kept in step. The greens are firm, they're the most undulating, difficult greens in the game of golf. There's plenty of trouble to wreak havoc out there.
Speaker 5: So the.
Speaker 7: Difficult part of Gusta National is to go around there not to have some huge blunder because if you make a mistake, you make it double, you make a triple, and eventually the winner is the guy who doesn't make a double bogie for the week. I mean, with few exceptions. And that's why Scotty Schiffler is so unique. You know, what makes Scotty great is not any one thing. It's like what makes any great athlete. It's not any one thing. It's just a number of things. He's long, he's straight, great irons, great chipper, and he's very judicious. He's very methodical about how he plays the game. And much in the Tiger Woods or Jack Nicholas.
Speaker 2: Fain but Lindersey or has he graduated in now he's one of the great golfers of all time.
Speaker 7: Oh gosh, you know he's he got to get into rarefied air. They are five six, seven major championships, twenty five thirty thirty five, forty wins. I mean, he's he's a five year run away from you know, having that sort of moniker attached to him. I mean, this is what they look like, though, Dan on the way to being called that. They look like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm always careful because you see these guys and they're like unbelievable than all of a sudden, you go.
Speaker 3: Where did that guy go?
Speaker 5: Right right?
Speaker 7: It happened with Jordan Speak, Yes, where did that guy go? It happened with Justin Thomas. He's like, where did that guy go? Dustin Johnson? Where did that guy go? John Romm to some extent right now. And it's really hard to sustain that. And the reason I think we're inclined to say, Scottie Scheffler, it's going to be less inclined to have those big valleys is because he's not a swing tinkerer. He doesn't think that there's something better next door or somebody knows something, and he's got such a well balanced family life. I just can't see him jumping to live I can't see him jumping to swing teachers. I can't see him trying to transform his body and getting injured and all of those things. You know, those are sort of life existential hurdles. I don't think he'll be susceptible to.
Speaker 2: He's Randall Shambley Golf Channel leads studio analyst and you can watch live for the Masters after the round is included. You look at the live guys and I wondered about coming, you know, playing that style of golf in that environment and then dialing it up to play in this And John Ram, you know, I think he played pretty well at Durrell. I think he had a couple of bad holes. Deshambo I watched him, but the difference between Deshambo and John Rahm going from Live to Augusta was what yesterday.
Speaker 7: I feel like John Ram fills extra pressure in major championships. You know, he's been criticized for being sort of a turncoat because he had critical remarks about Live initially and said he had never leave the tour than he did, so he's been a little critical. He goes over there, he plays well, and then he comes and plays poorly in the major championship. So I almost feel like there's a lot of pressure on him to perform. And Bryson, on the other hand, I feel like I feel like he uses live events to prepare for major championships. He doesn't really seem to be in him. You know, you go look and it's and it's not like he's not lighting them up. You know, this is a guy won the US Open last year, almost won three of the four major championships, and he hasn't won a live event this year, and live is nowhere near the competition that he would face the major championships. But like he really gets up for majors. He's got no pressure on him. It's like the oposit He freeze it up and gets after it.
Speaker 2: I think he's great to watch, but it feels like he's he'll take on anybody. Like he probably says I'm the best golfer in the world. He probably I don't care what Scotti Scheffler does, I'm still better than him. Like that confidence he exudes it, yeah, I mean does.
Speaker 7: It's really fun to watching. You know, he plays the game with such audacity, such he's like a gambler. On the one hand, he's like John Daily, you know, in that he he goes after everything. But on the other hand, he's like Ben Hogan. Now that you couldn't find two more incourse figures. You know, he's relentless in his pursuit of perfection. But then when he gets on the golf course, he played with absolute reckless abandon He swings at every single pitch as hard as he can. He couldn't be more different than Scotti Scheffler in the way he plays the game. But the preparation you got to tip your cap for it. He's you know, he's out there well after dark a lot of nights. When we're doing life for him, we just turn around and there's Bryson on the range getting after him.
Speaker 2: I was amazed watching your coverage last night. It's eight o'clock. He's been done for three hours or you know, two and a half hours. He's out there hammering drives. And you said there's no more daylight here. I think they have. Do they have lights on the driving range there for him? Because he was the only guy who looked like he was out there.
Speaker 7: You know, it's funny. I didn't turn around to look, but he was. He was lit like there were lights out there. I don't know that he needs lights because he's got the track man or the Quadji's squad right there. So he just hits and then looks down and that he doesn't need it. And you know, it's it's dinner time and it's bedtime.
Speaker 3: But Can you hit too many balls when you're out there?
Speaker 7: Yes, every other player in this field would say yes to that question, but not him. You know, there's a there's a there's a ball count going for the week and almost everybody. It's pretty pretty cool to watch. The first year I can remember, there's a ball count. There's a there's a group of datas, you know, statisticians that count the balls of every player out there. Data Golf.
Speaker 3: It's a good follow up on the driving range.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Dada Golf does this. So I looked at it yesterday and it had everybody listed and you know, the most balls to the lease balls hit and you go over here to the lease balls hits, and it's all the guys that are playing the best. They're not they got it. They're not looking for it. They got it. And then you know, these statisticians, they're brilliant. They do a correlation to where the fewest balls correlates to how well they're playing coming into the week, the most balls correlates to the guys they're playing except for Bryson, you know, and and he's out there hitting thousands of balls over the course of the week. You'd think you'd be sore. You'd think you'd be tired all of these things. You don't want a major championship, but he does it every dad gum day. You know, as far as I can tell, he doesn't have kids, he doesn't have a wire, he doesn't have a girlfriend. It's just hit him with those golf balls and he's like Hogan, he really is. This is something Ben Hogan would be doing.
Speaker 2: Do you hold out any hope of Tiger's return, and if so, what will he look like?
Speaker 7: You know, watching it? I don't know if you probably watched some of the TGL. It was kind of cool to watch and Tiger was swinging great in that thing. And I have had all the hope he was going to come back and play some good golf this year. Let's hope. I mean, he's going to be like this year's probably gone, so it'll be fifty before we see him again. But as we've seen with Freddy this week, you know, and as we saw with Phil Mickelson a few years ago, these guys can still play some great golf in their fifties. Tiger's ball speed when I was watching him in the TGL this year, Dan was it was almost it was close to one hundred and eighty miles an hour, and he was pushing off that right foot, which you know got mangled in that last act it. So you know, I won't I won't say no, but it's really far fest.
Speaker 2: You know, at this point, I'll leave you with this. I did a story on Byron Nelson. So when he was alive, he went down to his ranch and he couldn't swing the club anymore. You know, he was a lot older, but he wanted to hold the golf club. And so we're out on the ranch and Hogan was still alive, and I said, to uh, Byron, I said, do you think you could call Ben Hogan and I could do a feature We were doing Legends of the PGA Tour.
Speaker 3: And he looked at me.
Speaker 2: He goes, oh, no, no, And I said, but I just you know, I guess he didn't live very far from Byron. And I'm thinking, hey, if Byron would call Ben Hogan, maybe Ben Hogan would do a sit down interview with But Byron looked at me, and he's one of the nice he's a gentleman, he was one of the nicest people. And he just gave me this look like that might be the dumbest question I've heard. Nobody messages. Nobody messages with Ben, Nobody wants to call him.
Speaker 7: I commend you for the ass. Gary Player famously called him sometime, you know, after he'd won a couple of majors and said, you know, I'm having problems with this or that in my game. And Ben Hogan said, whose clubs do you play?
Speaker 5: Gary?
Speaker 7: And he said, well, I'm playing Slazenger And he said, he said, why don't you call mister Slazinger and.
Speaker 5: Asked him.
Speaker 7: He was a hard ass. Loves you to interview him, and I'd love to see if you could get him to laugh and open up, because he was. He was a tough character to crack.
Speaker 2: And people are still looking at his swing as the holding is the greatest, is the great greatest golf swing ever.
Speaker 3: Now I would put Sam Snead up there too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, look Sam Steeds.
Speaker 2: Athleticism, athleticism, Sam Snead even when he was in his seventies.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, there was a sort of a lyrical charm to Sam sneed swing, you know, folks see, but with Hogan it had everything. It had powered had the geometry, it had the artistry. It was like he was Mikhail Berushnikoff. You know, it's like you just couldn't believe somebody could swing a golf club that good. Nobody today comes close to swinging a golf clothes as good as Ben Hogan.
Speaker 5: Nobody.
Speaker 7: He didn't have track, man, he didn't have a video. I don't know how he did it, Dan, I don't know how.
Speaker 3: You think it's the greatest golf swing ever.
Speaker 7: Yeah, A Tiger two thousand is the is the closest thing in my opinion. You know, that's a that's a dead heat, and I think Hogan gets him in the end. But because you know, Tiger had every asset of the game, but from a from a if you said who could you who would you most like to swing golf? Good Lord Ben Hogan. Yeah, I don't believe.
Speaker 2: I look at Hogan like Leonardo da Vinci, so ahead of his time and what he did, and Hogan did that to the golf swing, and yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 7: Know there's an issue. You can probably find this you go back and you look. You know, Hogan famously won the fifty US Open after that accident, and he tied with I'm not mistaken Lloyd Mangram, who had won the forty six years Open in George Fozia, right, two phenomenal golfers, and you go watch them tee off on the first whole of the playoffs, and you know, George hits, Lloyd Mangram hits, and then Hogan hits. And if you just were watching the video of those three golfers who are all tied in the US Open, you would think, comparatively speaking, and I don't mean this disparagingly, you would think the first two were drunks at the driving range. And then because the symmetry, the movement, the grace, the power, every movement had a purpose in Hogan swing. It's the most beautiful thing in the history of golf, no question about.
Speaker 5: That in my mind.
Speaker 3: Played ice today, I don't know, try to.
Speaker 7: Piss somebody off it, okay, I don't want to disappointed for the week.
Speaker 3: Dan, I don't know, take a shot at Nicholson.
Speaker 7: That's gotten too easy.
Speaker 2: Does he ever come up and say something to you? Did he come up and say something to you?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, we have mutual friends, good friends. His kind of best friends are kind of my good friends. And we have a time or two talked about getting together and having a you know, a powwow. It hadn't happened yet. I like Phil, you know, I like I miss his golf. I think he's a smart guy, and I think if he were setting across from me, we would have a good nature back and forth. I don't think he's bitter. I don't think he holds grudges, but you know, I miss his golf. I wish he were back here playing the tour. I wish he hadn't.
Speaker 3: Left, Yeah, because he was going to be Arnie. He was going to be and I'll.
Speaker 7: Tell you this, he would be setting in that lead chair doing commentary, killing it now and is he'd been making forty to fifty million dollars a year and he I think he'd be great in the book. He'd beat a Ryder Cup captain. Yeah, I entertaining us and all that. So I do golf misses him.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Branda, have great weekend.
Speaker 7: Thank you too. Always a pleasure to be on the.
Speaker 3: Show, Randal Shambly.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w APP.
Speaker 2: It was great great day yesterday, Brent, congratulations on going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It's the Pete Rosel Radio and TV Award. I don't take any credit other than letting people reminding people that you weren't in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. You did all the work. I just wanted people to remember all the great work you did. So congratulations, Dan, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: I know that a couple of years ago we had a conversation out at the Super Bowl in Las Vegas. I think we were on the rooftop of the Fountain Blue Hotel and you mentioned it and I wasn't even on my mind, but you you actually put it forward. And then later I'm told as I was leaving, you had Jim Nanz and Jim Nance also echoed what you had said. So I want to thank both of you. It was such an honor yesterday, and you would have got a kick out of I was honestly just brushing my teeth and my phone rang and I looked down and I said NFL Hall of Fame and I said, well, I wonder what that. So I said, hello, Brent, Coach Vermeo and I said, yeah, Coach, I said this is not your cell phone. This is a different phone. He said, congratulations, you're the winner of the Pete Rosell level and it was, you know, mind blowing. I said, listen, Dan Patrick, Jim Nantz and you coach. You're the ones who put this forward and I owe you a debt of gratitude. It was. It was great moments. I just wish Dan, irv Cross, Phyllis, George, Jimmy, the Greek. I wish they were still with us to share in this because they meant so much to the NFL today and actually this art of my career. So again, thank you so much for your platform.
Speaker 2: Well, you gave me almost an opportunity to dream because when I watched you do your show when the NFL today, I remember watching and saying, I can do that. I'm not a play by play guy. I can do that. I don't know how to do that. I don't know if I'd ever get a chance to do that. But it's the first time in my broadcasting career, or like the beginning of it, that I had a direction and you gave me that direction. And you provided a soundtrack for people's lives for fifty years, and that's the staying power is remarkable. But I thank you because you made it look like you can do. You know, you and Costas Bryant Gumbel, guys who are really good. They make a hard job look easy and that's why there's a lot of people who want to do this job.
Speaker 3: And you did that.
Speaker 2: It's not easy, but you provided that soundtrack, and I'm forever grateful for that.
Speaker 5: I'm so appreciative to hear that. So many youngsters through the years Dan have come up and said, you know, I really want to get into sportscasting. I love what you do, and I would spend some time and talk them through it. But I you know, you touch a lot of lives. And I was asked yesterday anybody ever get upset with you? And I chuckled and I said, occasionally I would get a letter, a little nasty from a preacher somewhere who said that I was spoiling church attendance on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Did you get any feedback, negative feedback when you were saying you were looking live.
Speaker 5: No, it's interesting. No, everybody sort of gravitated to it without knowing how it started. And it started because my director, Bob Fishman. It was a hall of fame director. There by the way, he at a meeting of the NFL Today once early in the week, said that his father had a friend who loved to bet over unders and we were coming into November and he wanted the weather at the Durius stadiums that we were going, and we didn't have enough time. Remember the NFL Today was a half hour show. Now those pregame shows go on for days. But so well, I said, we can't do a weather report. But I said, Bob, what if? What if you give me a live picture? And we started. I think the first one, damn might have been Soldier Field in Chicago, because I know it was in November, and so we used you are looking live and it was kind of a drizzly, gloomy day at the lake front of Chicago. And so the next week at the at the meeting, Bob said, hey, my father's friend really loved that. He thought that was great, and so we went from there to two three different stadiums that we could flash around the country, and so it became the trade Bard. Honestly, the only thing I ever insisted in. Bob followed, I said it has to be live. I said, we can't tape stadium pictures and make this up. If I say you were looking live, let's do it so so so it went from there, and but no, I never I never received I don't remember Pete Roselle, who was a good front of the shows. He would come by, you know, two or three times a year when he wasn't on the roadwatching games. But I don't I don't remember Pete ever asking me specifically about but you are looking. I've just began the trademark of the show. That's how that's how we are.
Speaker 3: But you were kind of dancing around gambling without.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, oh yes, And I remember now, remember now, Jimmy, we weren't dancing, okay, we were hugging. I mean, I mean when Bob Wessler called me before year two of the NFL Today and he said, Brent, do you know a gambler by the name of Jimmy the Greek? And I did, because when I was covering baseball, I would stop off in Las Vegas and I had met the Greek. I knew him. And he said, I want to put him on the NFL today to talk about the games. And I said, that's fine, but what are we going to do? With Commissioner Roselle, and of course that led to the famous meeting that we had for about an hour down the Park Avenue NFL offices, and Roselle could not have been more favorable to what the Greek being on the show. And then when we got up to leave to go back the commissioners, Oh, by the way, listen, guys, do me a favor now when you were at a meeting with the commissioner and he says favor, we knew here came the marching order and he said, please don't use minus three plus seven minus ten on the segment. Yes sir, yes sir, you got it, even thought about it. Walk out and say, how are we going to talk about if we can't use the points spreads? Okay? So that that led to the famous checkboard with the Greek, and people would figure out if the checks were all on one team side, he made cover the spread. So so we went from there. And the only time I got in trouble after the NF we were doing the NFC of CBS then was after the NFC Championship game. The Greek would always slip me a piece of paper with the spread on the Super Bowl and I would always give it, and I'd always get the phone call on Monday. Don't you ever do that again? Oh gee, I'm sorry, I forgot.
Speaker 3: Until the next year when you forgot again.
Speaker 5: Exactly. Yeah, you know, I always knew, honestly, if you go back to the founding of the National Football League. I mean there were people at bulb with Caama Art Rooney he gets his stake in the Pittsburgh Steelers by winning at the horse track, and even people every time I went to the Kentucky Derby, Pete Rosel was there, usually with Wellington Marraw, the owner of the JOFT. So I knew. And the underground was just full of people who like to bet on the National Football League. You know, I'm glad that it's now illegal. And obviously you have to be careful because a gambling addiction is like an alcohol addiction. You got to be careful. You got to watch people. And I try to tell you youngsters all the time, you're not going to beat it. I said, you may think you are, but you're not. I said, do you want to do it for recreation as I do? I said, go ahead and enjoy it.
Speaker 2: If I would have told you nineteen seventy five. Hey, Brent, you're going to be a Hall of Famer and gambling is going to be embraced by all sports. What would you have thought that we've gotten to this point that gambling is now in place. It's it's almost like you're guilted in if you don't gamble on things.
Speaker 5: I'm would have thought you were crazy. Okay, let's tell you the truth. I uh, both instance. But I never got into this, you know, dreaming about Hall of Fames. I went to Canton early in the NFL career to shoot a segment for it, but I never dreamed about about going in a and the gambling. I guess I always thought it had a chance to be legal, but I didn't realize how sports were going to embrace it. And you're so right. I talk to people all the time. I mean, think about ESPN, which did not exist when the NFL today started. I mean, we didn't have cable television like we have. If you go up, I was watching last night, like a lot of people are watching. In the bottom line. You know, there were NBA spreads and over unders were coming under and I smile when I see it because I was so provoting back in the seventies and now it's just part of the coach And I think, Dan, that's a good thing because I think it'll just kind of be accepted and go on its own way down the road.
Speaker 2: To tell you the truth, I was wondering if you could get Joe Namath to introduce you at the Hall of Fame. I mean, you were there when he made his big proclamation. Oh yeah, and then they were going to win Super Bowl three.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's great. It was you know you were talking about stadiums. Yeah, and the old Orange Bowl. I think for me, the stadiums always stand out where I have memories of what happened there. Okay, and Super Bowl three was was really something because earlier in that week we'd gone to Fort Lauderdale and the Bellman sold this Joe Namath was out back and there were a handful of us. I was a writer then, and I also worked at BBM, the CBS radio station, and we went out back and there was Joe in a lounge chair, the famous picture with you know, there was a lady behind him getting an autograph, and people came up and wished him good luck. And I tell people it wasn't braggadocio. It wasn't. It wasn't like, oh, I guarant it was just kind of a matter of fact, and we're going to win the game. I guarantee it. And it was just kind of thrown out, to tell you the truth. It did not become a big story until after the fact. Dave Anderson, great Columns of the New York Times, was with me at a country club that Joe spoke at, believe it or not, on Friday night. He was a guest of honor and he repeated it and it was Dave who And it was such a small story in the Times, and now it has become it has become bigger than life. But as for the game itself, Okay, I was upstairs. It had a prespass, but I was in the photographer's box. But guess who was next to me. Howard Cosell giving me the flay by plane of the had I was the one man audience for Howard Cosell at Super Bowl three. And of course he hated the NFC because the NFC would not lie, and he loved the AFL. That was that was his dream. So he was so proud of Joe. Willie name us I'll tell you. You know, he called me mush. I was thinking, Mush, I'll tell you he's the best.
Speaker 2: So but that's that's one of the iconic moments in NFL history. Like when you think about it, what it became. You know, then you had guys who started to guarantee things. Then it became almost like commonplace where somebody was like, hey, we're going to win, do you guarantee it?
Speaker 3: You know, I guarantee it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It was in the footsteps of Joe Willing.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely, and I'll tell you Dan, that game to me meant more to the merger than anything.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 5: Now, Al Davis meant a lot to the merger because he started signing quarterbacks who were in the NFL, and when the George Hallises of the world saw what it was going to cost them, they also made a move toward merging. But once Joe Namas you know, I mean remember now to Greek and Las Vegas made the Baltimore coltson eighteen point favorite eighteen point favorite in that game, I mean, I let that sink in right now with everybody. Didn't you have you know, I did not bet the game and I never I never I don't think I always thought the Colts were going to win. Listen, I was a Bears guy, Okay, I mean I covered him and knew the Hallas that I kind of looked down a little bit at the AFL. You know, I was kind of one of the establishment reporters back in the day, and so I really thought the Colts were gonna win. I don't think I would have given eighteen points, but as it turns out, the better of the year would have been a Willy Name and the Jets.
Speaker 2: My friend, congratulations again and good luck with Thank you v's in the sports betting network that you've been that you co founded there, but uh, long time coming. Glad to play any role in this, but once again, thank you for being a friend.
Speaker 9: Oh, by the way, the Gators did well in your pool, Yes they did. You won the contest, you won the bracket. Is that more important than going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame?
Speaker 5: For me? It's whatever. Thank you, Thank you so much, Dan, Thanks thanks for all your help.
Speaker 3: Thank you buddy. That's Brent Musburg.