Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and welcome once again to Dirt from the Dugout. I'm Carl Ravitsch along with my good buddy Justin Musel. We consider this a special College World Series edition of Dirt from the Dugout. As I am in Omaha, Nebraska covering the College World Series Justin. It has been exactly what you would expect it to be a phenomenal event. And you know, now we're starting to see teams leave. We lost Ole Miss already and we're beginning to get into elimination games. My goodness, what a showcase for college baseball, What a showcase for baseball in general.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, I mean, you obviously get to live it every year, right, so it's cool to it's cool to be a part of it and see it. And you know this, but the energy, I feel like in the intensity Ravvy over the last five to ten years has really really taken a step up with each game, each pitch. It just feels like when you watch it, you're just kind of gripped by the emotion, the intensity. And I love that, man. I mean, obviously you get to be a part of it. But it's been a great ride so far. Man, It's it's been a great World Series so far, and the best is yet to come, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. And by the way, please get your questions into our guest today who is one of my favorite people on the planet out there. He does such a great job covering the college World Series and you can ask your questions into the YouTube chat. Our guest is none other than Chris Burke, a former Tennessee volunteer, superstar Major League Baseball player, runs his own clinic in Louisville, Kentucky. Let's bring Burkeie in right now so he can spend the next half hour chatting with him about what's going on in the world of baseball there. He is, my guy, Berkie, thanks for doing this.
Speaker 4: Really appreciate it. Yeah, let's do it. Let's chop it up. I'm in.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Say how to my friend Justin Mussel Justine in the recruiting world he's in, he's in the baseball development world, and you guys will have a lot to talk about as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Nice, nice to see you, Burkee. We appreciate you happing on here with us, buddy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my pleasure, my pleasure.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, Berkeie, I think one of the things that one of the things that stands out to me about covering college baseball College World Series, we got a team like West Virginia here who just had JJ Weatherhole played for them. The almost immediate impact that some of these guys schemes is another one in the list is pretty long, But the immediate impact that kids from college can have at the next highest level, major League Baseball, I think speaks to the talent level and all the things going on in the world of college baseball that they can kind of graduate and then have a big impact at the major league level. Is that a change over what you've seen the last fifteen to twenty years.
Speaker 4: Definitely.
Speaker 5: I think the velocity of the college game is such that it used to be when I was When I came out of Tennessee, you had to get used to the wooden bat, You had to get used to the velocity right.
Speaker 4: And then you had to.
Speaker 5: Your eyes were open to a world that felt much bigger. International players, I think the coaching voices were way less unified. So you went from a college program where you were like, okay, I have really just like two people maybe that kind of even spoke hitting at all, and then all of a sudden, you get into pro ball, and you had your coach on your team, you had a roving instructor, you had the level that you moved up to. Then you get to the big leagues and there's like, like the big league coach and the roven instructor might not even see eye to eye, and.
Speaker 4: So it was like it was just way less system driven. Now.
Speaker 5: I think these kids they grow up, a lot of them by the time they're twelve to fourteen years old, there's a potential for them to have really high level education in their niche of the sport starting at that age. They get to college, and you see some of these young players in college, like Bravin you and I called Kaden Glabor last night, like that, dude's ready to compete today.
Speaker 1: JJ Weatherhole, he's in high school. Three months ago, he's in high Yeah.
Speaker 5: Gavin Kelly was ready to compete the second he walked on a campus at West West Virginia.
Speaker 4: So you get some not everybody, but you get some of these kids.
Speaker 5: That it feels like they are way ahead of the curve, and so like at Gavin Kelly, He's proven himself so much at so many different levels, that you're like, Okay, that kid's probably like JJ weatherhol he's probably gonna need a few hundred at bats and he's gonna be in a big league lineup because he's just he's been educated at such a high level, he's been trained at such a high level.
Speaker 4: That what else do you need him to prove?
Speaker 5: Like, stay healthy, check a few boxes, and here's the major league. So I do think, Plus, you've you've hit with wooden bats on the circuit, you've hit with BB corn bats in college, and like, oh, missus staff average fastballs now three and a half, So you didn't you don't get to Pro Bowl and go, wow, these guys are throwing hard. You've already you've already kind of checked you know how to hit velocity already. And so I just I do think the learning curve to to land in the big leagues is shorter now. To stay in the big leagues is.
Speaker 4: Always good for always going to be at.
Speaker 1: That one good answer, let me check, let me remind you, Burkey. So we got thirty minutes for the podcast. Brevity is really key on the podcast. And Musel was so excited about everything you just said. He's gonna have fifty questions to ask you.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll rapid fire best that came.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, no, man, this is Brookie. I appreciate the insight there, I think for mine. I was talking with a minor league last week and kind of going to this conversation. I was talking to him about his adjustment. He played in the Big twelve. You guys would know him. But anyways, we were we were chopping up a little bit and he said, Hey, the biggest thing, the biggest difference for me right now is the secondary stuff. And so he's kind of learning that side of it where he's like, man, I'm just seeing like ninety ninety one mile Hollars sliders like day after day, Like that wasn't an everyday thing. So I think in general, though we as we were kind of finishing this conversation off though Burkey, his point was is like, the adjustment isn't that big of a difference, as you're saying, and now you're seeing guys climb so quickly. In general, do you think that that trend continues as we go along here? Do you think it becomes easier and easier because the talent level at the college level is so good and the coaching is so good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that, And I also think I really believe this. I think the organizations are much more progressive in how they view what a player needs to prove to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree to move up a level. I can remember I was, I was.
Speaker 5: I was ready mentally and physically to move And the Astros were real big on like two thousand at bats, you know, and you're like, okay, you know, And so that was just the way some of those Hey you have to have this many innings, you have to have this many bats. I just don't think clubs live in that world anymore. Like, you look good right now, you did well at double A. Here's a month of triple A. Here's the big leagues. I mean, Connor Griffin would have never you know, the counter Griffin, the schemes, the brave Montgomery's, Like, these guys are just weather Hold. They don't They're not being forced to prove themselves at an entire level for five hundred bats.
Speaker 2: Yept about it. Here.
Speaker 1: What we do on the show, Brookie is we get questions from our teammates. So on the parent dugout and one of them will take us a little off track. Of where we're going, but it is you hit one of the most iconic walkoff homers in postseason history in the NLDS and O five. Not that you've ever been asked about this, but what was going through your head leading up to that at bat Dom?
Speaker 4: Thanks for the question.
Speaker 5: Never a bad day when I get to talk about that, But I will tell you what was going through my mind. I was going to bunt on Chipper Jones. Chipper Jones had been playing third base for six hours. They had, you know, Joey Devine through ninety five from over here with a crazy, nasty sweeper, and I didn't really care too much to stand in there on that. I'm gonna lay down a bunch, see if I can steal second base. Maybe somebody scores me with a single, And so I went up there ready to bunt, actually show bunt. He throws a big sweeper to the backstop. So then I'm like, all right, I'm a head and the count. This guy throws an arm side fastball that has a lot of run. Maybe he makes a mistake and I can hit one in the crawl forord boxes. He almost hits me with the one oh pitch, So now my eyes are really focused on the inner third of the plate and he throws a sinker. That's up enough, and I kept it fair. And you know, it's funny when a play comes together. Yeah, the rest is history, but the truth is what was going through my mind. I was trying to bunt my way on to start that.
Speaker 1: That's a funny story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Farthest thing from your was the home run. Right.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean not just get all nerdy and sound all sophisticated, but we talked about what keeps you in the big leagues. Your playing evolves. I'm gonna bump my way on. Well, now I'm a head and the cow. This is a picture. If it was a left handed seeker baller, I wouldn't have been thinking about hitting a home run. But a right handed armside run guy, I get hit a ball in the Crawford boxes off that guy. So, like you know, there's a lot of things going on there. But the plan evolves as the bad evolves. Raby and I talk about it all the time throughout the course of the game. Approaches and guys taking big swings and then adjusting, and so that's all part of it.
Speaker 4: And it's nice when it comes together in a big moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, awesome stuff. Raviy.
Speaker 3: Let's get to this next one here, because I love this question too. So it's from Mark, which teammate from your playing days, was the most talented player you ever shared a feel with.
Speaker 4: Well, I was really fortunate to play with some unbelievable pitchers.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: In Houston we had Oswalt Pettitt and Clements.
Speaker 5: Brad Lynche was probably the nastiest thing going out of the bullpen at that period of time. And then I get traded to Arizona and I get to play with Brandon Webb, Dan Herron and Randy Johnson. So I got to play with Randy Johnson and Roger Clemens, which sometimes I just like I had to pinch myself, Like that's two of the three best strike guy guys in the history of our sport. I was teammates with those people, so that was really cool to watch that. Uh.
Speaker 4: And then I get then I go to San Diego.
Speaker 5: I got to play with Jake Peevee, so I played with some incredible like Hall of Fame cy young level pitchers. Uh. From A and then in Houston, my first year in Houston, we had Jeff Kent, Carlos Beltron, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Bigio, and Lance Berkman.
Speaker 4: We didn't make the World Series. Pretty good team.
Speaker 5: You walk into the Clubhous, You're like, oh my gosh, look at these people.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: That was that was really incredible. And so who's in the Hall of Fame? Is Beltron in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: He's getting He's gonna get it in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: He's gonna get all with bad Wells in the Hall of Fame, videos in the Hall of Fame. Kent's in the Hall of Fame. And Berkman wasn't right, Kent is in the Hall of Fame, isn't he?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And you had Burt Kent, Jeff Kent, is Jeff Kin in the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You didn't he just get in? Yeah? And then then Lance Burtman's a Hall of Fame hitter.
Speaker 5: I don't care what anybody says, like pure hit tool. Lance might be the best of that whole group. Maybe, And so anyway, it's like, Wow, that's five Hall of Fame hitters on one team. So to watch all those guys and they all did it different was really fun At a young age. I was analytical enough to nerd out a little bit as much as you can at twenty four years old. But Berkman's the one of that group that I got to play with the longest, who was also in the peak of his career, and Lance was just he had a year in six and I know I'm supposed to be brief, so I'll leave it at this. He hit forty five and drove in one thirty seven, and I think our next highest RBI guy had like sixty five.
Speaker 1: And the rest of your team is what it does, correct.
Speaker 4: But I remember telling Kirchin your boy, Kirchin Rabbi.
Speaker 5: I was like, has a guy ever had that many more home RBIs on one team than the next closest guy?
Speaker 4: Like That's so I was fortunate that, you know, I played with a lot of Hall of famers.
Speaker 5: I didn't play, I didn't play in the big leagues for a crazy long period of time, but I was fortunate to play with some legends of the sport.
Speaker 4: And that's pretty cool to think about.
Speaker 1: All Right, So we do this podcast and this live show really for parents of players, and there's other questions here from Melanie and Royce and Don. We'll get to those in a second. I it occurred to me when you talked about the great pictures that you then joined, you also had to face them from a parent perspective. When a sun is facing a dude like that, maybe six', five and you can tell their their may be an intimidation factor as a. Parent what do you find to be the best advice you could give to having to deal with The Roger clemens Of Little league Or Travel league Or Randy? Johnson how do you do? It and what do you?
Speaker 5: Say, yeah such a great. QUESTION i had this with my thirteen year old last. Night you, Know i'm walking out of the, Stadium, reveu you saw.
Speaker 4: ME i was on the.
Speaker 5: Phone, Yeah i'm getting the low down from my thirteen year old who was up In indianapolis playing this. Weekend and he was telling me he was playing fifty four to, eighty meaning the mounds fifty four, feet the bases are eighty. Feet that's the level of ball they're playing this. Weekend thirteen you and he faced the kid throwing seventy nine from fifty four. Feet well that's that's like eighty eight miles an, hour you, Know AND i was, like, awesome how to. Go he's, like, WELL i got jammed my first at bat and my second of, BAT i had a ten pitch of. BAT i ended up flying out and honestly reve like he had some true he had an awesome. Weekend that's the BAT i care the most. About so WHAT i would tell the parents is there's a fear of failure that is inherent to just being, human any walk of, life anything you're trying to achieve that if you want to be good at whatever it is that you're, pursuing the truth is you have to then be good against those that are the best in that. Field so you Really Roger clements taught me. This we were playing golf on an off. Day we're going To New york to Face. Pedro he's, like who's pitching tomorrow for The.
Speaker 4: METS i was Like.
Speaker 5: PEDRO i kind of said it like This, pedro and he, goes what an opportunity you get to face The hall Of famer.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow And i'm like.
Speaker 5: Yeah he's, like, bro like you think the pressure's on. You the pressure's On, pedro like he's supposed to get you. Out And you're, like what a great lens to view it.
Speaker 1: Through and the Good.
Speaker 5: The reality, is if you ever want to play this game at a high, level you better be able to at least learn to feel comfortable against extreme. Velocity so WHAT i would just tell you as a parent when your kid faces that, kid encourage them that number, one the pressures on the, pitcher not the. Hitter the sport is slanted in the pitcher's favor to begin. With and number, two enjoy the battle of facing somebody that's really really. Good because if if you actually want to play this, game then you're gonna have to learn how to do. That so what a great opportunity you get to face a kid throwing crazy hard little. League dig your heels, in let's go have a fun at, bat and however it, goes we've, learned we've learned.
Speaker 3: Something, YEAH i want TO i want to follow up on, That. Burkey so you have the flip side, Too AND i think there's a lot of elite players that they that can get themselves up for a big at bat against a really good. Arm, right it's almost easier for them to lock, in, right that that's what they're looking forward. To and then the opposite is, true where maybe it's the kid that isn't as good on the mound that they're not as excited about and they're losing that. Focus what is your what is your advice to consistency between facing the elite arms that you can maybe lock in, against that you know that you have to run up, against and maybe the guys that you know are throwing a little Slower for a high school kid or a youth, kid what's your advice to stay consistent in that great?
Speaker 5: Question so two THINGS i would really dive in on. Their Number, one if the slow pitchers were hard to, hit they'd throw slow in the big. Leagues so every high SCHOOL i deal with them all the. Time the kid was thrown so, SLOW i couldn't hit. Him i'm, like you, know that's like a pro basketball player saying the guy was so short and non, ATHLETIC i couldn't score on.
Speaker 4: Him, like. Don't i'm not here for.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 5: Don't if slow pitchers were hard to, hit college coaches would be recruiting slow. Pitchers So i'm not here for. That lock, in make, adjustments like figure out a way to get that right to have. Success the second thing, is you, KNOW, ravi he was. KIND i had a good Career tennessee you don't put together seasons by locking in for a pitcher one. Night if you want to have a great, year Like Daniel jackson's the star of our sport this. Year people somehow want to knock him because he hit five home runs in a weekend Against Northern. Colorado, like, no that's a great player who shows up for every, game every abat regardless of who's across from. Him he had three to ninety in THE sec Two, like he checked that. Box, also do you see What i'm. Saying so WHAT i would tell a kid is and everything's. Relative if you want to have a great season in the major, leagues Like Aaron, judge doesn't just rise up against a, Bit like he's locked in every. Day and if you want to be good at anything as a career in, life you better learn how to lock into what's in front of you that day and don't make excuses on either end of the. Spectrum the guy was too. GOOD i couldn't hit. Him the guy's. STUNK i wasn't, Focused, like, well good luck to. You that's probably gonna hit a ceiling or a wall at some point your.
Speaker 1: Career, yeah not a good. Look And Daniel jackson is supposed to go and hit five runs Against Northern. Colorado. Right next question here For MELANIE burkei we saw you were the tenth pick in the first round in one national, player semi finalist or finalist. One you led him to The College World. Series what do you remember most about that? Run for the volunteers, MAN i really appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Question the memory that sticks with me absolutely the most Was East Carolina game.
Speaker 4: Two of The Super.
Speaker 5: Regional they DECIDED i got two hits in my first two at, bats and they decided to intentionally walk me my next three at, bats and it loaded the bases for the guy who's hidden behind.
Speaker 4: Me and his Named Stevie.
Speaker 5: Daniel we were played up the middle together for three straight, years hit one and two for three straight. Years he struck out looking both at bats the first two times they intentionally walked.
Speaker 4: Me the third, time he GETS o, two AND i promise.
Speaker 5: YOU i looked at our first base coach AND i, Said, beemer if he strikes out looking, here there might be a fight in the dugout like.
Speaker 4: THIS i. Can't we're not doing this.
Speaker 5: Anymore stevie hits a grand slam on AN o two count and rav we cover, it we see. It there is nothing more important to college baseball player than getting no. More AND i just got goosebumps telling you the. STORY i could feel it through my Long sley. SHIRT i was running around the. Bases we're going To, omaha LIKE i we are the home.
Speaker 4: Team it's that. Rare you're the home team in game two of a super And i'm running around the.
Speaker 5: Bases We're we're now six to two and we need three outs to go To.
Speaker 4: Omo like this is real.
Speaker 5: Life we're gonna play in The College World, series AND, i you, KNOW i had a good year and all those, things but, LIKE i love telling that story About stevie because the truth, is my favorite moment of my college career was somebody else hitting. Up we're going To College World, series, Bro and that's what all that stuff.
Speaker 1: For so, yeah, right that's.
Speaker 2: Great that's.
Speaker 3: Awesome So, REVY i don't know if you even caught, this but we had Another Dan herron reference in.
Speaker 2: It back to back.
Speaker 3: Weeks, man we're going we got we Got dan Dan haring on us chet chet chatting About Dan.
Speaker 4: Haring pete dropped out on.
Speaker 3: You, YEAH Britti patroya was over twenty eight of. Heron so, Yeah so so that was his guy that he just couldn't.
Speaker 2: Hit so it just happens to.
Speaker 1: Bring up and HARN.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna, Say Dan harron was like seventy on the pitch ability. Scale he. Had, yeah he was one of the artists of his.
Speaker 1: Time so for for For droya and for the purpose of our, conversation when he comes back and, say, GEEZ i cannot Hit Dan, Herron it's not LIKE i can't hit allows you, PICTURE i can't hit one of the best. Pictures and Then, haron by the, way made that thing go viral on social media because he picked right up on What pedroya said and wasn't share.
Speaker 5: That over twenty eight THAT i didn't know pedroy was capable of going over twenty eight against.
Speaker 3: Me, kisson, right, Yeah ricky speaking of that, though what you, know what were some of the things that were the most challenging.
Speaker 2: For you as a hitter the pictures that you. Faced what were some of the things that you didn't like to?
Speaker 3: See was an, armslot a certain, way a certain type of, pitch was it a? Splitty was there something that really like when you'd see the other you, know the opposing picture that had something really good or something unique that you really struggled with or had it was more challenging for you as a.
Speaker 4: Hitter, YEAH i think Like zambrano, WAS i don't know what my. NUMBER i THINK i got one hit off of. Them carlos Zan brono, was he was just a.
Speaker 5: Problem and so anytime you get armside run at extreme velocities with the ability to turn the ball the other, direction it just constantly wars with your ability to hang in there because you're, like IF i hang in there too, Long i'm gonna be eating the barrel because he's gonna saw me. Off and IF i speed, up he's gonna make me look ridiculous on some crazy horizontal. Sweeper and so each each at bad is just this which one AM i gonna try to?
Speaker 4: Cover?
Speaker 5: DO i want to be uber aggressive like you just you're In and so the that's why programs and major league clubs want guys that throw, out because it makes hitters make decisions that are. Uncomfortable and if you can shape the ball two different directions at extreme velocities like it just it gives you a ton to. Cover and Then Zan bruno also had that like big kid In little, league like kind of, bully Like i'm kind of here to steal your lunch money vibe, too and so he was not fun for, me but typically just in general rieties from a lower slot that could speed you up and shape it two different. Ways those, guys those guys gave me.
Speaker 1: Trouble we just saw a kid and you probably saw it. Too Joey voltsko pitch the other night For, georgia who's got sort of a tan or how free quarter armslot and nobody actually hit him at. All he had fifteen strikeouts and through a complete, game he was. Incredible, bertie here's one for. You Roy schultz asked the, question And i'm going to kind of add to his, question but he, said you played second short outfield pretty much. Everywhere talk about how versatility in the game helps, players and also that that maybe versatility is derived from playing more than just one sport as you grow, up AND i know. That, YEAH i know that's a that's sort of a touch tone for.
Speaker 4: You, yeah it's a great it's a great.
Speaker 5: Question and revenue you hit it like good athletes are comfortable in athletic, settings and so the more you do different.
Speaker 4: Things challenge your body in different.
Speaker 5: Ways, uh the, more the more that's gonna help you in whatever sport you end up specializing in at a later. Age and so for, ME i, was you, KNOW i grew UP i played, baseball, basketball, football uh competitively until high, school and then in high SCHOOL i only played basketball and, baseball BUT i also played golf my whole. Life SO i feel LIKE i was getting these really well rounded experiences of mental, game physical, stuff physical, toughness mental, toughness spatial, awareness, speed and. Agility you face different types of, Challenges you have different types of coaches that challenge you and encourage you and inspire you in different.
Speaker 4: Ways you're faced with different.
Speaker 5: Environments the intensity of A friday night high school basketball game helps you deal with. Pressure stand at the free throw. Line you, know my trival in high, school we played them in A nation game in the, postseason AND i had to make four free throws down the. Stretch like EVERYBODY i knew in the world was in that, gym like he couldn't have been.
Speaker 4: BIGGER i.
Speaker 5: DON'T i don't Think i've had a bat bigger in my life in any stage than those four free, throws you, know and so it's like those things all help. You and then WHEN i got to the big, Leagues Phil gardner's, like, hey can you play the? Outfield AND i was, like, Actually TEAM, usa what if we put you in the. Outfield this is after my second year in. COLLEGE i could do.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 5: SURE i grew up catching fly balls from my dad because before you played eight thousand, games you wanted to play, baseball but there were no. Where there was nowhere to, play so your dad take you to the field and hit fly. Balls AND i remember my brother was a. Catcher my dad was an old college. Coach he would try to hit sky high pop ups to my brother because my dad actually just enjoyed hitting.
Speaker 4: Them, well when.
Speaker 5: He would miss hit, THEM i would be out playing, shortstop so when he would miss h, them they would turn into crazy high fly. Balls well Then i'm running down these fly balls when he miss hits him and when he hits them. Perfect my brother's catching pop. Ups SO i spent my whole life catching fly. Balls so when they sent me the, outfield it was LIKE i could go do. That, so uh, yeah the infield piece was. Easy, YES i spent my whole life playing, infield but the outfield PIECE i took two really quickly for a lot of, REASONS i, think but one of them is like catching fly balls was not foreign.
Speaker 4: To me BECAUSE i had done it kind of organically growing.
Speaker 3: Up, yeah, yep, yeah let's uh, YEAH i appreciate, That. BURKIYE i THINK i think when you when you look at the versatility.
Speaker 4: Too.
Speaker 3: UH i always tell this to, kids like you just want to be, versatile like understand the game at different, Positions. BURKEYE i want TO i want to touch on this really quickly here and then we'll get to the last question then move to the kitchen. Sink but when you talk about versatility and understanding the, game can you talk about the value for the high school and youth player to understand how to play shortstop then maybe understand how to play a second or understand a third because there's a lot coming at them and a lot of different angles in that communication is totally.
Speaker 2: Different what do you tell your? Kids what do you want them to? Do?
Speaker 4: Well? MAN i could probably do a whole podcast on that.
Speaker 5: Question i'll be brief two that number, One i'm so grateful THAT i was a utility player for my current job BECAUSE i started a game in The major leagues at every position of a, pitcher, catcher and SO i started a major league game at seven different. Positions so my job as an, analyst When ravi teas me up on, something there's essentially no play THAT i haven't. Had and WHEN i was going through, THAT i didn't, Think, oh this will help me be a great broadcaster one, day but it sure. Helps but it also it also helped me fall in love with the sport at a way deeper level BECAUSE, ravi we know here the chuck like a left fielder fighting the. Sun i've lived. THAT i literally know what that feels. LIKE i don't just have to guess about. It and, then LIKE i told, YOU i played with all These hall Of fame pitchers and my brother and my dad were.
Speaker 4: Catchers SO i do feel Like i've.
Speaker 5: Learned the game in a holistic, way probably in a unique, fashion but that has caused me to love the game at a depth THAT i am very grateful. For and WHAT i would tell parents is there's a lot of talk about the car right. Home don't spend the car right home. Going you got three, hits were, happy you got no, hits were? Sad talk about the, game talk about the other team short, stuff talk about the other teams, catcher talk about the other team's. Pitcher why why did your pitcher? Struggle why did your kid get three hits or the Other you, know one of the players on your team get three hits off a really hard, pitcher and you're saying you struggled against, Him, LIKE i wonder what he did better than, You LIKE i think we get so worried about offending our, kids AND i would just encourage the, parents, like you're footing the, bill you're, driving you're spending your. Weekends it's okay to talk about the game with your. Kids and, it's, really my, opinion not okay for your kids to not want to talk about. It, like hey, man the point is for you to love the game and get better at the, game and the only way to do that is to fall in love with it on a level that's way better than JUST i did.
Speaker 4: Good i'm, HAPPY i did. Bad i'm. Sad that is odd to. Me that is not winning the car ride.
Speaker 2: Home that's very good, man that's a great.
Speaker 1: Answer AND i don't know that many people think about you can win the, game and you can win the, bat and you can win the car ride. Home that's that's an interesting. Perspective my dad got to win the car ride.
Speaker 2: Home, yeah my.
Speaker 4: Dad was a college.
Speaker 5: Coach when we got in the, Car i'm talking about literallygue.
Speaker 4: Games we're talking about the. Game, yeah your ba's, Okay, yeah we're done with my bat's thirty seconds. In let's talk about the. Game how did the game?
Speaker 1: Again it's a kitchen sink in one, SECOND i just have one More Chris Burke baseball In. Louisville you run uh facility. There i'm just, Curious and this is this is certainly a question that could go in a billion, Directions but for the parents of, players is there is there one thing that you find maybe kids and or parents are focused on today that probably isn't necessarily the thing we need to focus on right. Now AND i say this in light Of pedroia And durosa And Dusty baker and Theo epstein who've been on this. Show they tend to focus. Fundamentals doesn't MEAN i want you to go, There but is there something they bring and you're, like, yeah let's let's let's shelf that and let's look in another direction so that we can build a better.
Speaker 4: Ballplayer, YEAH i THINK i think The it sounds like those guys have.
Speaker 5: Covied here's WHAT i would. Do i'm not into telling people how to spend their time and. Money if you want to buy your kid a five hundred dollars bat and buy them every piece of drip That Trey phelps, has that's your.
Speaker 4: Decision. COOL i would encourage. THEM i would encourage you to.
Speaker 5: Set some expectations that they just play. Hard You, like, like it's where every piece of?
Speaker 4: Drip you?
Speaker 5: Want run your butt to first, base get get to your. Position how about pick your teammates glove and hat up and meet them out on the field after they just flew out to right center and they're halfway between first and. Second, like, like if we're gonna do all the dog and pony, show can you at least play? Hard how about that we're gonna talk about winning the car ride, Home we're gonna the first thing we're gonna talk about did you play?
Speaker 4: Hard AND i will just tell YOU i have a sixteen year.
Speaker 5: OLD i got a text from a college coach the other, day and this is not to pat me or him on the. Back he, SAID i just Saw jackson strike out and not make a slow roller. Play that was a hard, play BUT i think he could. Make AND i just want to encourage you with the fact that he was the first one off the. Field he stood on the edge of the dugout and cheered on his teammates and just, know, yes he made two great plays and had a line drive in his first at. Bat BUT i watched that as much AS i watched his at. Bats AND i know that Because. Carl we spend time with these guys all year, long And i've been telling him that since he was this. Tall so to see him win that moment When I'm i'm in a different, state that matters the. Most but LIKE i would just, say you're into the bargain Is, Hey, BUD i need you to play.
Speaker 4: Hard fall in love with playing? Hard great, ANSWER i like.
Speaker 2: IT i like.
Speaker 3: It. Think, yeah let's let's get to the kitchen, sink all, Right, Berkie so as quick as you can here for four kitchen sink. Questions most memorable thing a teammate ever ever said to, You.
Speaker 4: Orlando, hudson you can't win a gold glove on your.
Speaker 1: Feet the old dog. Shirt, hey he knew how to grab the.
Speaker 5: Attention on baseball tonight he would slide for a pop up down the right phil line playing second.
Speaker 4: Base he could catch it so easy on his.
Speaker 5: Feet he slide for, it he run, in he goes web gym and he like that was like number.
Speaker 1: Three he'd go that'd be number three. Tonight he had the whole. System you never told me that. Story that's. Great most memorable team theate ever. Said here's the next. Question in the kitchen. Sink players today are into the. Drip you just mentioned. It what is what is your top drip item if you had?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 1: Yours oh, ME i was in.
Speaker 5: College as drippy AS i ever got was what we CALLED tv, Tape so you know about about four inches of white.
Speaker 4: Tape.
Speaker 5: Risk the risk did absolutely nothing for, you but we thought it looked cool ON TV tv.
Speaker 2: TAPE i love, it, man all. Right question three, here favorite.
Speaker 1: Pack i'll do it Because i'll do it BECAUSE i know he loves. This who's your FAVORITE who player of all?
Speaker 4: Time Steph, Curry Steph, Curry Steph, Curry Steph, Curry Steph.
Speaker 5: Curry if he's, On i'm watching just the way he impacts the game when he has the ball and then more, importantly when he doesn't have the ball is and the way he moves and and and the gravity that he has when he's on the court to me is like MUSTY.
Speaker 4: TV i can't take my eyes off of.
Speaker 3: Him, man that's really Gared. Burkey all, Right, rabby finish it up, here, Buddy you got this, one.
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 1: Right you And ravi had to head on a golf. Course who wins more? Often where's that question come? From?
Speaker 4: Oh what a.
Speaker 5: Question this is gonna sound very, Political BUT i WOULD i think this is about, True. RABBI i would say we're about fifty to. Fifty we've we've this. YEAR i think WE'RE i might be two and. One he definitely clipped me the last time we, played BUT i THINK i Won louisiana AND i won the first round In, texas but he clipped me a couple times in williamsport.
Speaker 4: Work is that, Fair? Raby we're about?
Speaker 1: FIT i think THAT'S i THINK i think it's very politically correct and probably very. Accurate, Burkey, yes.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah when you guys, say when you guys see you're pretty, FAIR i mean pretty.
Speaker 2: Even what are you guys shooting out?
Speaker 4: There seventy eight to eighty.
Speaker 5: Two you, know we can get hot and shoot seventy, five we can go sideways and shoot eighty. Eight but it's we're Both we're both in a pretty steady. Range we're like six to eight, handicaps.
Speaker 1: Right rather more, importantly, yes and more, importantly there's Nobody i'd rather be out on a golf course with than Than. BRICKIE a blast to compete, with a blast in the booth as. Well Hey, berkeie REALLY i appreciate you doing. THIS i know you stepped in here on late. Notice we could do this with you for like hours because this is this is really Your so thanks very much.
Speaker 5: My pleasure, Man AND i would just say those on the. Journey the journey is the best. Part it really. IS i know that sounds, cliche but, like just enjoy. It i'm trying to take my own advice there with my kiddos and enjoy the journey of watching your kids grow up and watching them.
Speaker 4: Improve Hey, bricky Thanks.
Speaker 1: Justin we'll see you again next, week and don't forget, everybody please join. Us the parent dugout is your. Place you do get dirt from the, dugout you Get justin's baseball recruiting. Confidential you can ask us, questions clubhouse, conversations to engage with other parents on the. Way it's. Growing. Man we are grateful for all of what you. Do Justin we'll talk, Soon.
Speaker 2: Buddy thanks for having